Habs’ Weise lives dream with OT goal in Game 1

When Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin acquired forward Dale Weise from the Vancouver Canucks in February in exchange for defenceman Raphael Diaz, the happiest man in Canada might have been Weise’s father.

Miles Weise, a warehouse manager in Winnipeg, is a lifelong Habs fan and dreamed that one day his boy might play for the Canadiens. When he spoke to his son after the trade in February, Miles told him: “My little boy is going to play on the Montreal Canadiens.”

“And he said ‘dreams do come true, eh Dad?’ ” Miles told The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell after the trade. “I’m just on top of the world.”

Miles – and Canadiens fans – were on top of the world again Wednesday night when Weise scored in overtime as the Canadiens beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 5-4 in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal series. Game 2 is Friday night in Tampa (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

GM Bergevin was caught by television cameras doing a dance in a loge after Weise’s goal. The dance is now being called The Marcarena or the Bergevin Boogie by many fans on Twitter.

“It was a good feeling,” Weise told reporters in Tampa after scoring the OT winner. “I can’t remember the last time I scored an overtime goal, but this has to be the biggest goal of my career.”

The Canadiens practised Thursday afternoon in Tampa with all the players on the ice, including Travis Moen, who is still recovering from a concussion and won’t be available for Game 2. The Canadiens spent time working on a power play that went 0-for-2 in Game 1 and is now 0-for-25 in the last nine games.

The Lightning practised before the Canadiens and injured goalie Ben Bishop was on the ice but didn’t take any shots. Coach Jon Cooper said he didn’t expect to see his No. 1 goalie, who has an elbow injury, back in net “any time soon.”

“This morning he skated in full pads and stuff like that,” Cooper told reporters in Tampa. “I don’t think we’re going to see Bishop any time soon, but I don’t know what soon is. This series would have to extend a little bit for him to come in.”

Weise, who started skating when he was 3, grew up as a Habs fan in Winnipeg and his father bought him a Canadiens scoreboard light for his bedroom.

“I bought it for him when he was a little kid and it’s still in his room,” his father told Branswell in February.

Miles Weise’s favourite Habs player was Guy Lafleur and “I almost had tears in my eyes,” he told Branswell after seeing his son in a Canadiens jersey for the first time after the trade.

If there were tears Wednesday night, they were tears of joy.

The Gazette’s Pat Hickey reports that Hall of Famer Phil Esposito, who now works as a radio analyst for Lightning games, drew Weise’s name for the media winning-goal pool before Game 1.

“Who the hell is Weise?” Esposito said as he threw away the piece of paper with Weise’s name on it.

The prize was $180.

(Photo by Graham Hughes/The Canadian Press)

Game 2 preview, NHL.com

Habs looking to tighten defence in Game 2, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Playoff notebook, Canadiens.com

Habs’ post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Palat will be game-time decision for Lightning, by Pat Hickey

Lightning coach Cooper talks with media ahead of Game 2 (video), tampabaylightning.com

Lightning goalie Bishop not close to returning, NHL.com

Stamkos shows why he’s X-factor for Lightning, montrealgazette.com

Weise strikes in OT for Canadiens, by Pat Hickey

‘Biggest goal of my career,’ Weise says, by Pat Hickey

Habs are drama kings, Canadiens.com

Another vintage playoff performance by Briere, NHL.com

Game 1 photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Dreams come true for Lightning’s Killorn, by Pat Hickey

Lightning must switch to playoff mode fast, Tampa Bay Times

Goalie Lindback under fire from Habs, Tampa Bay Times

Coach Demers remembers 1993 Habs Cup team, Stu on Sports blog

Habs coach Therrien remembers an old friend, Stu on Sports blog

1. Habcouver says:

OT in Colorado.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

I get a feeling things will turn nasty in SJ in the third.

Wow, third OT in St Lou.

• Clay says:

Loving the game. And glad there’s no work tomorrow.

__________________________
      ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

4. 24AW says:

wow! no lack of shots in St. Louis

5. Habcouver says:

These non-Hab playoff games are much less stressful to watch!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

6. 24AW says:

Rangers put it to Philly.

7. habkin says:

Interesting you mention Mc D. I was hoping for him to make the team and when he was traded I thought management knew what they were doing with Goatmaz. I was extremely satisfied when Subban came into the picture. My Dad was a die hard Hab fan but loved Bobby Orr and played defense himself for a few decades in leisure league. I get a tummy ache when I see Mc D on TV.

8. The Jackal says:

Great games tonight.
    But the double OT has made me wonder if CBC is out of its element when it comes to broadcasting the playoffs.
    If TSN had the double-header and game 1 went to OT, they could play game 2 on TSN2… CBC? Whoever wants to watch SJ vs. LA can’t do it because the CBC is not up to the task.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Clay says:

They stream it on line, and announce that they do so. Good enough.

__________________________

9. UKRAINIANhab says:

Anyways, I thought Boullion did not get credit after the last game. He played a solid defensive game and he was just well, very solid. I prefer him over Tinordi just due to experience. Watch out for a Subban snipe from the point on the PP next game!

10. D Mex says:

Huh ?
    Edit : where’d that rant get to ? …

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Mine? Haha, basically I got called a pretty mean word. (If I say it, it wont appear again). Moral of the story: Don’t post Off topic stuff!

• D Mex says:

No – not you.
        ‘ Grande ‘ had posted something with a bit of an edge to it – I suspect it may have been removed (?) but it’s all good :-/

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

11. monmick says:

The Avs and the Wild are two most “eastern” of the western teams.

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

12. monmick says:

That Brent Burns is one helluva hockey player….

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

13. C-Sword says:

Finally, the most interesting round 1 series starts, Sharks VS Kings.

14. Chris says:

Nice game tonight between Erie and Guelph. Rink was packed (one downside to Guelph is that there are often empty seats unless London or Kitchener are in town, even in years where they have a great team), and there was a good atmosphere.

I haven’t been watching enough Otters games, apparently, because I didn’t realize that Oscar Dansk (who led the OHL in GAA in the regular season) lost the #1 position to draft-eligible Devin Williams. That has got to smart for the Blue Jackets. :)

Neither Williams nor Guelph’s Justin Nichols had particularly strong games. Williams gave up a few long-range goals, although to be fair at least two of them were tipped on the way. Nichols also gave up a long-range shot, and he was getting caught going down too early. Can’t do that when you have snipers like Connor Brown and Andre Burakovsky picking corners.

Dane Fox, the OHL goal scoring leader, was a factor in the game, but not in anything approaching the way that Erie would have liked. He took 3 rather silly minor penalties, and ultimately got tossed from the game for losing his cool with the referees. The knock on Fox has always been some maturity issues, and his lack of discipline was on display tonight.

Connor McDavid was good, but it wasn’t his best game. But man can that kid skate…he had a beautiful inside-out move on a fairly mobile Guelph defenceman (Phil Baltisberger) on a 1-on-1 play where he just exploded to the side. His lateral skating is off the charts.

Burakovsky was quiet in the first period, but he ratcheted up his play in the 2nd and 3rd. At 6’2″, he has NHL power forward size and he is an excellent skater, blessed with both speed and agility. He was the guy I was keying in on tonight, and I was very impressed. He’s going to make Washington Capitals fans VERY happy, because he is pretty much a blue-chipper at this point. I’m a little shocked he fell to 23rd overall. He picked the corner beautifully on his goal, and he was a consistent threat throughout the game.

For Guelph, Tyler Bertuzzi was the player of the game (and the first star), scoring two goals. Bertuzzi is almost certainly going to be the Storm’s captain next season. He got the loudest cheers in the introductions (along with Robby Fabbri and Connor McDavid…Guelph fans are so polite!), and he’s on fire. He’s not got 7 goals and 11 points in 9 playoff games, remarkable after a 3 month layoff. I was stunned when Detroit nabbed him in the second round, questioning their scouting. I really should have known better…they have found yet another overlooked gem. Storm coach Scott Walker has a tough decision ahead of them, as 43 goal scorer (in 58 games) Brock McGinn returns from suspension. Do you upset the lines by moving Bertuzzi back to the 3rd line, despite his production? Or do you put McGinn down on the 3rd line. First place problems… :)

I’ve said it many times, but I think that the Leafs have a Brendan Gallagher-esque steal in OHL leading scorer Connor Brown. Brown is everything you could possibly want: he’s a relentless forechecker, he’s got a great shot (his top corner snipe was pretty), he’s feisty and he’s fast enough that he can skate with Connor McDavid (voted the Western Conferences best skater, best playmaker and best stickhandler…not bad for a 17 year old!). I’m not a scout (see the Bertuzzi comment earlier) but I would give Brown a pretty good chance of making the NHL.

I feel like Habs PP will unblock in this series. They need one lucky bounce for the flood gates to open. Perhaps they need Murray’s or Parros’ as$ just planted in front of the opposition goalie for 2 minutes and rest of the team just takes shots hoping on of them will bounce in.

What Habs really need on the power play is MAB.

• I actually think they should try Parros or Murray in front of the net during the power play. I off-handedly suggested it a couple of times, but that was before going 0 for 25.

At this point, it couldn’t get any worse, could it?

Defense wins championships

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” St. Thomas Aquinas

So, what did I miss? THankfully Sharks-Kings game is on just shortly before my kiddo should be asleep so I will be able to watch most of it. Glad Flyers got spanked. Still not impressed about the current playoffs format – totally unfair to have the top teams in the conference battle it out until the CF.

17. boing007 says:

Who are these separatist thugs? Svoboda members? Right Sector. Ukrainian Nationalists? Be more specific, please. I was planning a trip there this year and now I’m not so sure. Too much turmoil and a weak government in Kiev, as far as I am concerned.

Richard R

• Timo says:

In Ukraine, or Russia or in Europe in general, antisemitism is never in short supply.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Wrong

• Timo says:

Ok, I am not getting into this argument. At least not on this site.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Fair Timo, To say Anti jewish stuff goes on in Ukraine or Russia because of one Russian group is a little unfair. Whatever, wish I did not post this tbh.

@Grande Ukraine isn’t involved in this, idk if you saw this news but it was a pro russian group that in most likelyhood sent from the Kremlin just like all the other ones.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Do you know what Svoboda even is? Or have you learned from the media. Svoboda is not against jewish people but is built on russian and soviet union hate that leads to extremisim.

Words like absurd, blind to reality is pretty gutty coming from someone who can’t find Ukraine until recent evens probably on a map. Read the letter that is viral on the internet from the Ukrainian jewish community that says they feel no threat what so ever.

• Chris says:

Agreed. Even in a country like Denmark, which is generally lauded for sticking up for Jews during the horrors of the second world war, anti-Semitism has always bubbled just below the surface.

• Donkey Hoat says:

I support this statement…with regret.
        Then again, I could also toss in the Gaspé region with Europe et al..

• UKRAINIANhab says:

NO. There pro russian thugs. Svoboda is radical, yet has 5 jewish members so the anti semitism is from a pro russian group @Boing

18. DipsyDoodler says:

Flyers outshot 36-15 in the game. Only one shot in the 3rd.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

19. frontenac1 says:

Rags 4 Flyers1

20. DipsyDoodler says:

Vignault for Tortorella. Who do you think won that trade?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

21. DipsyDoodler says:

Ryan McDonagh is so good that I think we should think about taking down #23 from the rafters.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

22. DipsyDoodler says:

Feel sorry for Akeson. It was an unintentional high stick. Still he’s a Flyer so the hell with him.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

23. boing007 says:

Blackhawks are better than the Blues. Hands down.

Richard R

24. slapshot777 says:

PJ was explaining how a hockey player skates. This ought to be interesting lesson. Since he couldn’t skate himself.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

25. frontenac1 says:

Hitchcock looks like a Giant Chipmunk. It’s frightening.

26. jimmy shaker says:

@ Mr. Biter…..

First, I hate that you can only reply a certain amount of times on a comment, need to go back to the old setup HIO brass, with the “NEW” tag brought back too.

Agree Price had no chance on Stamkos’ second goal…..I never understand why D-men go down like that and take themselves out of the play especially when the shooter is left handed like that and not on his opposite side of the ice, giving him more of an advantage…….in that instance since PRice is committed to the shooter, the D has to give the tender that guy and deny the pass. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen this year our D sliding and missing and giving tap in goals to the wide open player. LEt the tender take the shooter and deny the pass. Carey wants that, it’s easy! I know Marky is trying but, when a player goes to ice, it’s all or nothing. They basically take themselves out of the play. So no chance on that goal. First goal, I’m up in the air if he should’ve had it or not, 3rd goal, bad turnover, not much he could do. I think weaver and marky need to be better, PK’s needs to be better, he was decent. And Carey has to be better. Tampa will be ready to go, hopefully Palat is done, and the boys can squeak out another and come home 2 and 0. Can you imagine the bell centre when the lights go out and coldplay starts to filter over the speakers, michel lacroix announcing “attention, Nos Canadiens”. It will be electrifying!

Shaker out!

• Mr. Biter says:

Thanks jimmy agree with you wholeheartedly. Good Post. Can’t remember which goal it was but (the Prust turnover) that goal was such a bang bang play only way Price stops it is if it hits him. No time to react (he doesn’t even move and it’s in the net). The PK’s gotta get better and since hockey is a game where %’s do count, when it begins to click it’s gonna be hot for a while.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

27. C-Sword says:

Miller is terrible, should’ve kept Halak

28. C-Sword says:

Subban VS Eller, video is a month old, but worth a watch, had a good laugh

@Jackal, not everyone gave up on Eller, perhaps a good number, but i am not sure even the majority did. Yes maybe a significant did, but not a fan of the generalizations like “everyone”.

Understood the gist of your point, but just making a point as well.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

How can one give up on a Viking?

• Mr. Biter says:

HIB, as a former Winnipeger you may want to know that Weiss played out of Gateway as a kid. You were an NK boy were you not?

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

Went to high school in North Kildonan. Know the Gateway rink well, cool thanks for letting me know. Where did he go to High School, do you know?

• Loop_Garoo says:

Being 1/2 of Danish descent, I have a soft spot for Eller, so that may influence my opinion, but I still really like Eller. I have modified my expectations, I think he’ll top out at a 15 goal guy, but can still be an effective 3rd line centre that hits hard, works hard, and can play defence. Hopefully he can put it all together consistently next year, but I still want to see him on the team.

• Mr. Biter says:

Actually caught up with “Vikings” last night after the Habs game and am looking forward to tonight’s episode. Man those were tough men and women living in rough times. Excellent show if you’ve never seen it. Tough guys and even tougher women.
        No wonder Tiger has never been the same after tangling with his ex.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

Detroit will beat the Teddy Bears!

Zetterberg talks return to ‪#‎RedWings‬ practice – http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=715355

31. Danno says:

John Ferguson wore that number

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

32. lizard ranger says:

Dreaming of a Montreal – Chicago final . That would be sublime

33. Psycho29 says:

Ryan Getzlaf took a slapper in the face last night and walked off the ice….here’s his pic:

34. JohnBellyful says:

Frickin-frackin-friggedy-frig! It did it again!
    Took my post, which I crafted with the utmost care and some degree of thought — everything’s relative — and just made it disappear, like a Leaf fan’s playoff hopes.
    If you haven’t guessed by now, it refers to the server — that evil HAL clone without the personality — that from time to time is the bane of our existence. Especially when you don’t save something — and have a poor memory.
    Now what was it I wrote: Woohoo! Or Oh boy!?
    Frickin-frackin-friggedy-frig!

35. scamorza says:

So what I would like to know is will vanek sign with the habs after winning the cup this year I.e. Love this team lets go for more or wow won a cup now I can go to minny?

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Habcouver says:

I would just be pleased if some of that Vanek mojo rubs off on the fabric of the this team.
      I’m not going think beyond the playoffs and enjoy the ride the best #20 on board since Pete Mahovlich!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• scamorza says:

Agreed just my subtle way of saying we are winning the frigging cup this year,

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Habcouver says:

Your positive karma rocks, scam!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
          Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• habcertain says:

hard not get depressed knowing he will be riding away into the sunset.

• Habcouver says:

@habcertain, the only time I got down was when Guy Lafleur left the Habs. :(

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
            Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• scamorza says:

Ya gotta believe! We will take TB and beaners worry about philly in finals but unlike last time will take them and beat poor SJ who finally make to to the cup final and lose. We will win 12 overtime games so that front et al will increase LCBO profits this year and the defining moment will be when price winks at Thornton after robbing him in game 7

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Mr. Biter says:

Posted late last night so a short version. If push comes to shove regarding money, do we keep Vanek or PK.
        Vanek: no compensation if not re-signed
        PK: Match any offers and we would get compensation either with 1 or 2 front line players and or some 1st round draft choices.
        Would love to keep both but if the $$$$’s don’t work, what say the posters.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• johnnylarue says:

If I were in his shoes, winning a cup in Montreal would be “Mission Accomplished”, and I’d be looking to play out the rest of my days in a city I actually want to live in.

My gut feeling is that, no matter how these playoffs unfold, Vanek still going to test the UFA market. Good playoffs for him just means better offers, when all is said and done.

That said, still an outside chance the Game 3 crowd sends shivers down his spine and makes him think twice about turning his back on his potential life as a religious icon in Montreal…

• alain58 says:

Agree 100% on that. Let’s enjoy his presence and start dreaming about De la Rose.

• JUST ME says:

Still i `d rather be naive enough to think that he is having the time of his life and that as time goes by he is more and more aware that there is a world of difference playing with the Habs or with the Sabres /Islanders because ,admit it , there is ! I know, i know money rules and feelings have nothing to do with it but still…Mtl is THE place for a professional hockey player ,he is already considered as a half god while being here a mere few weeks, he will get more money than he ever dreamed of here too and this team has something going on .

I did my best…

edit. To be even more convincing imagine the violin soundtrack playing behind my words…

36. JohnBellyful says:

Here’s my remedy for the anemic power play:
    Have a forward — minimum height six feet — stand in front of the goalie waving his arms madly so as to distract the netminder.
    Yeah, yeah, I know, the league banned that sort of stuff after Avery tried it — but here’s the switch: the forward is facing the other way. And he’s screaming for the pass cuz he’s so wide open!
    Okay, he might get knocked down from behind with a crosscheck but that’s when another forward comes along and does the same thing to the defender! At which point he begins waving his arms madly, screaming for the puck cuz he’s so wide open!
    Now the ref might call a cross checking penalty here, but how could he penalize one, the forward, for doing the very same thing the defender did?
    So if he did the right and proper thing, send both men to the box, the defending team would be down two players and the attacking team only one — with a lot more room to operate.
    Fewer players and more space would really simplify the power play for MT. And imagine what Subban could accomplish with so much yard to wheel around in.
    There is a flaw in this otherwise airtight scheme, which could prove fatal to its success: officiating. Especially in the playoffs when, to reflect the compressed schedule of games, the league also compresses its rulebook to a much simpler version known as Col’s Notes (we all know who the author is).
    Unlike its scholastic counterpart of years past, Col’s Notes does nothing to improve the users’ grade but the shrunken document, a double-sided page, does shorten games in most instances (until the players start milling about after whistle stops).
    This proposal might offend traditionalists as well as those with brains, but I think it’s worth a shot. I’ll give MT a bit more leeway on this whole PP schmozzle — the team is winning, after all — but if it gets to 0-for-50, well, he has my email address.

37. frontenac1 says:

Espo, “who the hell is Weise?” and threw away the ticket! Jeeze Phil! Time for The Home.

38. UKRAINIANhab says:

My leafs friend said Gallagher is a 3rd liner

. . .

39. zorro says:

Happy with the play of Eller, Borque, and Briere. Their need’s to be an improvement on the PP, P,P.
    Prust, Price, and the Power Play.

Great support for our Habs in Tampa, keep it up.

• vegas says:

Prust seemed week last night/ Price fave up 1 bad goal but was awesome in overtime.

i liked the bourque / eller / gionta line best last night

who does Chucky replace when back

40. Prop says:

Sheesh, Lundqvist looks awfully shaky as well.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

41. heavyd75 says:

PP Thoughts,

Nothing is working at the moment why not try, 4 Forwards 1 D , 2 waves
    67-51-48
    20-76
    And
    11-81-21
    14-79
    Second wave not as confident but you could park Eller in front like how the bruins park Chara…

We need to try anything

• Mark C says:

Why not try 4 forwards and one D? You watched the game right?

• johnnylarue says:

Not sure the personnel is the problem–they just need to adopt a set play (or two) which lets them gain the zone while carrying the puck, and they need to start shooting more and thinking less.

A struggling PP is easy to defend against–applying the least amount of pressure to the puck carrier creates panic due to a lack of confidence, and plays are easy to break up as a result.

I have a feeling once they get one–and they will–that their mojo will come back and they’ll be in business again, much like a sniper in the midst of a 10-game drought. Just matter of banging home an ugly pinball shot from the point to get some oil back in the engine.

• JohnBellyful says:

Johnny, I just devised a set play for the power play and the system — HIO’s, not the Habs’ — ate it up and spit it out — but the bolus didn’t land here (see above. Look up, look half-way up). Where it did go I do not know (another team’s fan website?).
        I am so upset I’m going to bed now and not wait the half-hour!

• vegas says:

they should put pleky on the first unit with Max and vanek
        tams know DD wn’t shoot so they concentrate on the other 4

42. Dunboyne Mike says:

Was there an on-site report from HabFaninTampa that I missed? I’d like to know what it looked like where he was.

And @DadIdolizedDougHarvey! 5 minutes extra lunchtime for Grade 7s who picked Montreal to win the series! Love it!! Excellent teacher!

43. naweed235 says:

Does anyone have a clip of the following play last night:
    I believe it was either in the 3rd or OT when Callahan picked up some speed and beat his D-man from the left side and went to the net, very similar to the goal he scored on the last game of the season when he went short side after Emelin lost his footing. This time, instead of shooting he passed it in the slot… To me, it seemed like Price had that goal in his mind when he saw a very similar situation developing and he overplayed the puck to a point that when the pass went to the crease he was completely out of the goal almost behind the net.
    I’m sure he’ll be calmer for second game and I expect him to come out with a huge win tomorrow.

• johnnylarue says:

Don’t have a clip but I saw that too.

Price in general was overcommitting on almost every shot for the first three periods–very un-Price-like, and very much the product of nerves.

I think anyone who’s watched him play this season realizes that was an off game. He’ll be good for Game 2.

44. UKRAINIANhab says:

Weise! Awesome pickup!

Wow, Bergevin was Sick at the deadline

45. FormalWare says:

Wow. Quite an evisceration of the Lightning’s Game 1 performance by Tom Jones.

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

46. doug19 says:

The best play of yesterday was Josh Gorge’s save in overtime!

47. Big Buffy Boat Club says:

Question (probably already asked but who can read all the posts):

You don’t normally shuffle the lines after a win, but how ’bout moving Briere to the 2nd w/Pleks & Gally? Give Prust some time to find his game. I don’t see us being phys. intimidated in this one anyway.

———————————————————————————-
    “Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of the women.”

48. Lafleurguy says:

Weaver goofed when he was on centre-stage, and it lead to the 4th and game-tying goal. But he also nicely chipped the puck ahead to Gallagher, who then sprung Gio for the shortie. Throughout the season, we witnessed a couple of Tinordi gaffs and more than a couple from Subbie and Markie and all the individual D-men that lead to game-changing goals against. Weaver is a no.5, bordering on 3/4.

• Habcouver says:

I guess it evens out for Dream Weaver. Regardless, he’s been a great acquisition.

On Stamkos’ 2nd goal, Gally kind of pulled an “Ovie” by letting up on coverage. However he gets a pass considering all the other incredible things he does for this team.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• JohnBellyful says:

Laffy, it was Eller who made the deft pass to Gionta.
      [Don't let it happen again. If it does, you're talkin' demerit points. At 15 they send you to the corner. With Murray. He's bigger up close.]

49. Habcouver says:

Briere looked like a renewed soul in Game 1.
    What is it with him and playoff hockey?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Briere looks like he went in and came out of a phone booth. All he is missing is a cape…

• Mr. Biter says:

Must have been crowded in that phone booth with Eller and Bourque in there at the same time.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• habcertain says:

he needs 2nd line minutes, I’m afraid that because of the W nothing changes, Weaver and/or Frankie should also be spelled. there was plenty of room for improvement. Didn’t think Price should have received that much criticism (OT aside), 2nd goal was weak, but everything else had traffic, in the slot etc.

• jimmy shaker says:

He knows and we know he can and will be better tomorrow night!

Shaker out!

• Mr. Biter says:

Only problem I saw with the Habs last night were lots of odd man rushes coming in on Price (Ill advised pinches and a few fall downs by the D-men) and no one was going to stop Stamkos’s 2nd goal.
            hard to complain when you out shoot your opponent like we did during the game, but Price was sharp in the OT and that was when we needed him the most.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• jimmy shaker says:

I think Price lost his angle on Stamkos’ first goal. Yes, good shot right above the pad, but just like Pleks first goal, lindback lost his angle. I would’ve loved to hear Price say he needed to stop that shot no matter what, just like he said after giving up a goal on the last trip to florida vs the panthers (not sure what guy roofed it on him). He did look a bit shaky but yes like you said in the OT he was sharp and did answer the bell. Keep it going now Carey!

Shaker out!

• Mr. Biter says:

Hey jimmy, I agree with you but I was talking about the 2 on 1 where all Stamkos had to do was tap it into the open net.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• jimmy shaker says:

See what a little bit of slack from your coach will do for you not to mention a regular shift with regular minutes. Danny was crapped on all year from MT and he kept his attitude right and his mouth shut. I’m really happy for him and hope MT continues to rely and have confidence in him going forward!

Shaker out!

50. Psycho29 says:

Weise’s goal kind of reminded me of Cam Connor’s OT goal vs the Leafs in 1979. Lots of heart, a defensive player not known for his offensive abilities.
    What a great trade, Diaz for Weise. I seem to remember a lot of negative posts here when that trade was made. And the Weaver trade. Is that possible??? ;-)

• johnnylarue says:

I was a vocal “meh” on the Weise trade. Saw him play a handful of games as a Canuck and he showed next to no offensive awareness whatsoever, and was a mediocre pugilist at best. Great wheels, decent size, heart-and-soul player but just barely good enough to crack a fourth line in the NHL. That’s what he was as a Canuck.

Clearly, the change of scenery and/or line mates has done him a world of good… That, and in no way shape or form should anyone ever hire me as a pro scout!

PS: Weise is EXACTLY the type of player Don Cherry always picks to pot an OT winner, of course…!

• Hobie says:

I was just happy to get Diaz off the roster, period. Nothing personal against him but the makeup of the defence as a whole was wrong. He was simply too small and too soft. Weise has turned out to be a great bonus!

• Chris says:

I imagine he might have taken some offence to the “Swiss Miss” label. :)

I agree that the makeup of the defence as a whole was wrong, but I’m still not sure I agree that Diaz was necessarily the guy that should have gone.

Right now, the Habs are struggling because they have no offensive presence on the blueline behind Markov and Subban. Murray, Tinordi, Emelin, Gorges, Bouillon and Weaver give you absolutely nothing in that regard.

That means that the coaching staff have to overplay Markov and Subban on the power play (Markov rarely played the entire power play until this year…it was usually 1:00 – 1:30, then on came Hamrlik/Spacek, Rivet/Streit, etc.). This could change next year when Beaulieu is ready to come up, but that is a glaring weakness for the team right now…they have nobody to play the second wave of the power play.

• Lafleurguy says:

Since Weaver fortuitously came on board shortly after Diaz’s departure, the re-structuring of the defense was an up-grade. Same stature, but more physical presence in front of the net with Weaver.

• Mr. Biter says:

Good Winnipeg boy who played his minor hockey at same rink my boy plays at now. Habs now have Weiss and White and as Cherry would say great Canadian Kids who never quit.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Habcouver says:

Ahhh, CC20 in ’79… great memories.
      He scored in Game 5 of SCF, as I seem to recall.. or was it Rick Chartraw?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

51. Le Jadester says:

Mr. Cowan
    Your article brought tears to my eyes.

Mr. Weise
    Your goal brought tears to my eyes yesterday night too !

Mr. Esposito
    That kind of karma I’m sure brought tears of disappointment to all those eyes that support the bolts.

All in all…..I’m in for a very emotional roller coaster with this edition of the 2014 Habs playoff run !

Habs, OLE !

52. CalgaryHab says:

Weise is an RFA next year (according to cap geek). I think MB should offer him a decent 3 to 4 year contract at 1.5 to 2 million/season. Not because he scored the OT goal, but because he has no quit in him, he bleeds the habs and he brings it every game. He’s the type of player that great teams have in their line-up.

53. hitgurl says:

Weise is one if those guys who seems to have it. Stupid for Van to let him go.

54. 5wings says:

Nice to see unsung guys like weisy become an instant hero, this shows depth and a balanced attack..good on coach MT playing them in OT they deserve their time..grit wins in playoffs..IMO Weaver and Frankie aren’t a good match..both smallish and battles down low will be tough to win..wish Beaulieu was ready he has great speed..
    Murray or Tiny should come in..

GO HABS GO!!

55. The Jackal says:

I know the mood is wont to fluctuate wildly here, so this may not even be a question worth asking or a point worth making should or fortunes fall tomorrow, but for today at least, it is something interesting to consider.

Let’s go back to our logjam at centre. This season has proved to us a few things: Pleks is key part of our forward corps; DD is a bonafide top 6 centre; and Eller is Pleks 2.0 with size. I know we were all ready to give up on Eller, but he had a great game yesterday and I think he can have those kinds of games more often than not. In the near future, Eller is the kind of guy that can replace Pleks as a two way centre that can pot ~20 goals and about 45-50 points, and he is big and uses his size well.

Then we have Chucky. This guy needs to start playing centre, pronto. What do we do? Can we have him on the wing but in a top 6 role for another season, or do we start him at centre again? I think it is to the detriment of the team to trade Eller or Pleks or DD at this point. Perhaps Chucky can weather one more year on the wing but playing big minutes. Eller could move to wing at some point but he has not been effective in that position and he is a suitable heir to Pleks.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Chris says:

My big question is why people think it is imperative that Galchenyuk move to centre. His best junior season came on the wing of Charles Sarault.

Tampa Bay uses Steven Stamkos as a hybrid wing/centre…the position is fluid, depending on the situation. Given Galchenyuk’s weakness in the defensive zone, using Galchenyuk in this way could be the way to go.

I think the center “logjam” is a bit of a nonissue. The problem with Galchenyuk and Eller this season is that Eller’s game fell off the map after the first couple of weeks. If he can resurrect himself with a good playoff and bounce back strong next year, Galchenyuk and he could form a formidable duo on their line, and you can call it whatever you want (1, 2, 3, 2B, 1A, etc.).

Plekanec had a decent season in 2006-07 and a breakout 2007-08 before cratering in 2008-09 at age 26. I think Eller can do the same thing…he had a season to forget at age 24, but he is still a valuable contributor to the team. In the offensive zone, Galchenyuk can be the primary playmaker, while Eller can handle the primary defensive zone responsibilities. By keeping the pair together, you get a nice division of labour. What that line needs is a good power forward. In my perfect world, Jacob De La Rose ultimately fills that role and the Habs have the makings of a very good line there. While he does not give the line the physical presence I think it needs, Michael Bournival could also be a good fit there: he’s got great speed and he showed a nice scoring touch before he ran into the injury bug.

• The Jackal says:

I had never considered this… great point!

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• DAVE. N says:

Excellent points; So many teams are using two Centers in a zone faceoff, because of the constant amount of linesmen waving the primary center out. Your suggestion can only strengthen the lineup.

Save the planet. Compost a Leaf.

• Chris says:

On that front, I like the suggestion that they stop waving the center out of the box and start moving them back 1 foot every time there is an infraction. That would speed up faceoffs and reduce the crap where a center intentionally gets thrown out, daring the refs to call a faceoff infraction penalty by throwing out the second center. I think I’ve only ever seen that call once in junior or the NHL.

If they aren’t going to call the rule, change it and institute an actual penalty they are willing to enforce.

• jctremblay says:

Well thought out post…I see your logic. I believe that Chucky and Eller will be long time valuable members of the Habs, whatever position they end up playing. If Chucky works on his defensive game, the sky is the limit for him, IMO. He’s so young..and Eller has been through heck and back with his injury, his bad regular season etc. I still believe in his talent.

• JF says:

Agree with all of the above. For the moment, Plekanec, Desharnais, and Eller are all too valuable to move. Plekanec is our man-for-all-seasons, Desharnais has proven his GM right, and Eller, after struggling for most of the second half of the season, had a great game last night, and I fully expect more like it.

Unlike many on this site, I don’t think it will hinder Galchenyuk’s development to play another year on the wing. He hasn’t yet acquired all the muscle and mass he’ll need and his defensive game still has to improve, although he made some progress in that area this season. We could perhaps look at Tyler Seguin as comparable in some ways; he spent three seasons playing on the wing in Boston before bursting out as a centre in Dallas this year. It doesn’t seem to have done him any harm.

Just read Chris’s reply immediately above. I like what he says in his second paragraph.

• The Jackal says:

Yeah it definitely seems like another season on the wing will help Chucky continue developing, provided he gets top 6 minutes and PP time.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

56. youngwun says:

If we win tomorrow’s game, that would be huge! I hope they play the same way full 60 mins and Price plays better and we should have it.

57. CH Marshall says:

All I can say is the outcome could gave been different with Bishop in net

58. bwoar says:

My best pal works with Dale’s cousin. We’re all cousins here in Winnipeg.

Great guy, great goal.

59. habsfan0 says:

“”Who the hell is Weise?” Esposito said.”
    Sort of like what he said before the start of the 1971 playoffs.

“Who the hell is Dryden?”

60. Luke says:

Well Folks, what a great day. The mood is high and tomorrow is a holiday (for me, at least)!

Cannot wait for the game tomorrow!

Everyone enjoy the weekend and have fun doing whatever it is you do to have fun!

61. JUST ME says:

Diaz traded against who ? Weise ? Who the hell is that guy ? Little did we know that Bergevin was waaayyyy ahead of us in term of filling in the needs of the team. As we were overstocked of defensmen and still are…Weise was exactly the kind of fast grinder that we needed. Had no idea who he was but not anymore! Diaz did contribute in his own way to the succes of his former team. Ask Gio and Weise…

62. WindsorHab-10 says:

Dale Weise, one of the best moves made by Bergevin so far & is already paying dividends. Seeing that our power-play is struggling & how well the 4th line is clicking & attacking the net, may be MT needs to throw this line on & see what develops. It was very frustrating watching the Habs with the extra man. They were lost, clueless & Tampa had the better scoring chances.

I know MT usually sticks with the same lineup after winning a game but my wish is to break up Weaver/Bouillion. I’d rather see Tinordi & Murray, both physical & desperately needed against a Tampa team that was dishing out hits like candy on Halloween. Can live without Murray but definitely want to see Tinordi.

• Mr. Biter says:

I think /hope Murray’s back in and Weaver’s out next game. Gotta give Cube credit coming back in OT to catch a Tampa player with a partial breakaway without taking a penalty. Did not think he had the wheels left to catch him.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

63. Iceberg84 says:

Found these on reddit:

Subban and Stamkos as kids together on a team: http://i.imgur.com/wSN4YLq.png

2014 NHL playoff teams as animated versions of themselves: http://imgur.com/a/a00Pw

64. The Teacher says:

To be honest. I have no idea. Weise has been REALLY good in his role in every game he has played for us(never mind the OT goal). I don’t think Diaz was useless, but with the type of team defence we have, he was useless to us. That Weise is this good really took me by surprise and to a lesser extent so has Weaver. Bergevin totally rocked the deadline period and it’s been a looooong time since we had a GM with cojones like that.

65. The Teacher says:

Like polar opposites.

66. The Teacher says:

It’s freaking hilarious is what it is. It is also strangely heartwarming. The joy oozing from him is the joy of a Habs fan. I like that.

67. Habcouver says:

The Dutch Gretzky did us proud with his heroics.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

68. BriPro says:

I was so pumped during last night’s game, after the Lightning went up 2-1 and they called a penalty (on PK, I think), I got up and left the room, figuring about 2 minutes, to get a drink and stay away from seeing a 3rd goal go in.
    I came back in the room and it’s 2-2. Figures….
    Whether a penalty is called again or not, I’m not leaving the room.

• Lafleurguy says:

Like minds, Bri. Penalty was on Emelin, but I pessimistically anticipated 3-1 and there goes the game. But then, one of the Mighty Mouses streaked in and showed superb reflexes in using a split second to tap in the rebound. Pivotal part of the game.

69. The Teacher says:

That Bergevin dance though. Too effing funny.

70. 24AW says:

Great Story and I’m happy for his father and for his son being a Hab. He’s a hard working player and I hope to see him in a Habs uniform for years to come. He comes to give it his all every game.

71. Say Ash says:

Best OT winner since Tom the Bomb.

72. lizard ranger says:

atta boy WEISE !

73. SmartDog says:

Skates better than Begin and has more overall talent IMO.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

74. The Jackal says:

Hey man, good for you for sticking to your guns!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

75. Chris says:

I love Eller. But I think the issue about him not being given regular linemates is overplayed. Plekanec had just as much of a revolving door as Eller did.

Eller’s season fell apart this year because of Eller, not because of the coaching staff or whatever. I see a lot of similarities between he and a younger Tomas Plekanec: they are both perhaps too self-critical and it eats at their confidence. With no confidence, they try to do too much and end up doing even less. Eller’s confidence has always been an issue…he has had a sports psychologist for a couple of years now.

Eller is at his best when he gets his feet moving and makes simple, high-percentage plays. As he builds his confidence, he can start working his skill back into the equation. He has excellent speed, but he’s got to work on his balance and driving the net.

It is way too soon to give up on Eller. Worst case scenario, he remains a checking line centre that can pot you 15-20 goals in a good season, a la Chris Kelly. That is nothing to sniff at…it has helped the Bruins reach the Finals twice, winning one Stanley Cup.

Kelly was 6 months younger than Lars Eller is now when he finally broke into the NHL as a regular. I can absolutely live with Lars Eller as a Chris Kelly-esque player on the third line. He has the defensive chops, he’s just got to work on cutting down his mistakes. If his offence surpasses that of Kelly, all the better.

Eller, like Higgins and Lapierre before him, could end up being a victim of perception. Because he has more skill than most 3rd or 4th liners, people want to see him become a top-6 forward or he gets labeled a bust. He’s not.

If he could get to a Bobby Holik level, a strong defensive forward that can pot 50 points, great. But he would need top-6 minutes and PP time to do that. If he’s not going to get those two things, 15 goals and 30-35 points are respectable totals and easily achievable for him. Even in this brutal season, he potted 12 goals and 26 points. That tells me that he can get 15-20 goals and 30-40 points as a checking line centre when he’s on his game, and those are numbers that can elevate a team from pretender to contender.

76. Big Buffy Boat Club says:

Sheesh, friendly conversation much (though you do bring up some good points)?

The forwards as a group certainly played well, but for the sake of argument there are always adjustments that can be made. It was no masterpiece.

I believe Plekanec was our best player, and I don’t think Prust helped him out much. He looked pretty rusty. I’ve always been a White fan (through the good and bad) and replacing Bournival is not a coup d’etat.

All I was trying to say is Briere should get more ice-time, this is why he’s here. Any line with Plek and Gally I consider our 2nd line, Prust I love but he’s not a 2nd liner.

I don’t think this is quite as sacrilegious as you make it out to be.
    ———————————————————————————-

77. UKRAINIANhab says:

Thank you for your service.

Ghg

78. Habcouver says:

So we’ll need to hear from you more as we make a deep run in the playoffs!

Stay strong and hope there are no Leaf or Bruin fans on base.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

79. Lafleurguy says:

Greetings, and a respectful salute. Future Hab in your avatar.

80. rhino514 says:

I don´t get it, you are Canadian but serve in the U.S air force?

81. habfan01 says:

Where you stationed snapper? Retired 11 yrs ago after 22 yrs active duty and 4 1/2 in the guard- all of them as a Habs fan and several spent stationed in Bruins territory. Thank you for your service.

This Cup’s for you.