Habs want to cut down on shots, or maybe not

From Pat Hickey:
The Canadiens are in a conundrum as they prepare to face the Washington
Capitals Wednesday night in the deciding game of their best-of-seven Eastern
Conference quarterfinal series.

Michael Cammalleri said the Canadiens hope to
cut down on goaltender Jaroslav Halak’s workload by limiting the number of shots
on goal.  Then again, Cammalleri admitted, that might not be a good idea.

“It
seems the more shots he sees, the better he plays,”  Cammalleri said.

That was
the case in Game 6 Monday night, when Halak stopped 53 of 54 shots to backstop
the Canadiens to a 4-1 win. Halak has a 9-0-1 record in games in which he faces
40 or more shots.

•  •  •

Game 6 goal breakdown, from Robert L and Chris Boyle

One thing the Canadiens can do is to continue pushing after
taking a lead. They led 2-0 after one period Monday and then slipped into a
defensive mode. They went more than 10 minutes without a shot to open the second
period and were outshot 15-3.

“It’s human nature,” Cammalleri said. “You don’t
want to do it, but you just don’t want to get caught, so you take a step back
instead of taking a step forward. You see every team doing it, and you see it in
every sport.” The Canadiens were outshot 54-22 Monday.

Defenceman Jaroslav
Spacek, who has missed the past three games with chest congestion, skated
yesterday in Brossard and accompanied the team to Washington, but it’s unlikely
he’ll play Wednesday.

If the Canadiens win, they will face the Pittsburgh
Penguins in the conference semifinals, beginning Saturday.

You honestly feel they brought him in for the long term coach. I think you maybe nuts.

Hate to break it to you sun shine, the new owners did agree to bring in Martin when they bought the team, but keep on plugging, you might make a point soon.

And also, Bob is still on the payroll as an advisor to the team. What else do you need to know my friend.

3. MontrealAtheist says:

It was not meant to be a hateful comment, I apologize if it came across like that. My point was just the current team has many players of small/average size which often puts them at a disadvantage when facing other teams’ big/tall guys.

4. punkster says:

Share your years of experience and in depth knowledge, oh great one. So far your argument is empty. And, if I may ask, what view?

5. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

’64 for me.

6. filincal says:

I also had the feeling JM came here to coach for a year or two, get to know the players and move into management. He is a smart/great hockey man as you say and I think will choose to bring up Boucher from the ‘A’ soon after.

I BLEED BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!

7. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

thanks ian – really appreciate your input. I agree with you also.

its almost like it was 2 contracts.

2 years or so as a coach, and the rest as a head office guy.

makes sense.

8. petrov14 says:

Totally agree. This thing is WIDE open! Anyone from PHX & MTL to PIT & SJ can win it all this year.

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

9. HabFab says:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

10. HabFanSince72 says:

I was born in 1972 by the way…

11. Storm Man says:

Maybe you cant hear me as your in the cheap seats. How can you even think to have JM as GM of the Habs, So I asked you if you were nuts. I hope I made my view very clear for you.

12. punkster says:

Amazing how a person’s size can be used as the basis for a hateful comment. I suppose no different than a person’s colour or religion or place of origin. Small minds.

13. punkster says:

Your “dwarves” comment is disgusting. It  renders your remaining view suspect.

14. REB says:

My immediate impression when it was announced that JM was the coach, was that Gainey just announced he was retiring.  I agree with Ian’s assessment of JM; JM is a stop-gap coach whiile Boucher gets OTJ training.  I also believe that PG is an interi, GM and may very well step back to assistant when JM moves up.

15. VancouverHab says:

This is Bob Gainey’s team, pal, love it or hate it.

Me, I love it!

16. J. Ambrose says:

“Allowed”? Or perhaps he was speaking loudly.. with an Italian accent.

17. pmaraw says:

you know what play REALLY bothered me, was when hammer had the puck behind the net, and as P.K. came skating to pick it up behind the net, hammer headed to the far hash marks and then proceeded to pass the puck to p.k. who was now behind the net.  this almost turned out really bad as hammer then sort of acted as a pick to p.k. and he was directed almost directly into a washington player.

I felt this was more bad decision making by hammer, why he didnt wait behind the net like every other d-man is beyond me.  other than that, i don’t feel i can really knit pick the game too much, i do feel the more we play p.k. the less time we’ll be in our own end.

18. Harani says:

They were not up 3-1 in that series. Pittsburgh was up 3-2 with a win in Game 5 in Washington and in Pittsburgh Washington won in OT to force Game 7 back at home and then lost.

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

19. Say Ash says:

Gomez has unfinished business…

Ryan- I did notice that also. Trust but verify attitude.

21. K-hab25 says:

Halak’s record is 5-3 the game after 40+ save games.

Now that impresses me.! You are aloud to elaborate your views. Do you have any?

23. Storm Man says:

Melrose works great for me.

24. pmaraw says:

you know what i liked about P.K.?  nobody wanted the puck more than him!  he was begging for it!  unfortunately his d-mate was a little hesitant in giving it to him and didnt give him the puck usually until it was too late for him to do anything with it.  hopefully hammer has a little more trust in him next game.

25. Born in a Bad Year says:

You’d better rewatch yesterday’s game.

Trips are no longer automatic, and I think highsticks went out game 2.

26. Rob says:

all good men do

27. Big Ted says:

We have a lot of work to do to get by the first round and i don’t even know if we will, but let’s take a quick look at who else is left in the playoffs:

- Pit: as dynamic an offence as Wash. They have been to the finals two years in a row, they are the defending champs, and after teh first round, have to be right up there as favorites to win this year. That being said, they play a similar style to Washington and Fleury has not been very good in the playoffs so far. He let in quite a few weak goals.

- Bos: hard-nosed team, lots of competitive fire, play tough, getting Savard back. But relying on a young goalie and have had an up-and-down year. Not the fastest team in the league.

- Phi: big team, play hard and play dirty. Boucher had a good first round, but can a journeyman third-stringer keep pulling off upsets? Also inconsistent year and benefited from a first-round match-up against a team they owned this season.

- SJ: well-rounded team, big name scorers. Shaky goaltending in the second half, didn’t look very poised in the first round, and have the perennial knock of being chokers until they prove otherwise.

- Chi: good young talent, can play both ends, but again, big question mark in goal and could very easily have been knocked out by Nashville.

- Van: consistent team, but I feel like they get carried by 3-4 guys. Luongo has not been as good as in previous years.

- Det or Phx: two good teams that are playing hard in the playoffs, but will they have beat each other up too much to get by SJ? Det has another huge question mark in goal and Phx doesn’t have the playoff experience as a team, so do they have what it takes to go deep into the playoffs?

The first round has been a hard one, but if the Habs can squeak through, a deep run is not out of the question for them or any of the teams left in the playoffs. Playing the way they are now, this team has the potential to keep up with anyone else in the league, and every team left still has question marks. The goaltending in the league this year has been less-than-stellar and the two o the top 3 goalies, arguably, are out of the playoffs (Brodeur and Miller) so any series can be won now.

Manapart– Do you really think that to revamp a whole organisation can be done in a year or two. Sorry it takes many years of first getting to know what assets you have and will work well into the future.

I am talking about everything from scouting dept, marketing, the farm and the Bell Center.

Second start to plan your moves in unison from top to bottom and 3rd start implementing by moving pieces of the giant project around and acquiring new.

It takes many years to develop a winning franchise. And it is now starting to come together.

29. TheDagger says:

That is the only reason I would ever want Hamilton to lose out, to make more players available.

30. sholi2000.com says:

Welcome PK

What a feeling that must have been.

PK PK PK, 20 years old, first playoff game, and twenty thousand people chanting your name.

They Call Me Shane

31. Storm Man says:

JM as the Habs GM are you nuts?????

32. TheDagger says:

#1 way to piss of Gary Bettman… eliminate his two darlings Ovie and Sid in back to back rounds!

33. MontrealAtheist says:

Thank you Mr. Gainey.”

At first I thought I misreda, but are you seriously giving Bob Gainey credit for the Habs’ current play-off run? Gainey has performed numerous poor decisions by acquiring a team full of dwarves and even when it comes to goaltending he bet on the wrong horse, i.e. Carey Price. Price was always BG’s darling and got to play much more frequently than Halak, even after losses. It’s no secret that Halak would have been traded away under BG and that he would never have been given a chance to develop his full potential.

If you want to give credit to BG, maybe you should credit him with building a team that allowed 50+ shots that his chosen goaltender would probably not have mastered quite as well.

34. Harani says:

They lost Game 7 to Pittsburgh at home in the second round. the only Game 7 win they have with this group is the one against the Rangers where they came back from being 3-1 down in the series.

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

He does and I wonder if he can be moved or will he stay around to help the kids that have younger legs.

36. Bob Barker says:

I like both the Kostitsyns, they both have a ton of talent. I find AK46 has played pretty well this series.

That said, there are lots of players in the league that don’t produce at the same level as their talent would suggest they should. Afinogenov and Zherdev have world class skills but something in their game is lacking that prevents them from being consistent point producers.

A package deal that would send the Kostitsyns and a goalie would likely be enough to get the big talented center that the Habs have been lacking for years, Jeff Carter would be an ideal fit in my mind.

37. joeybarrie says:

How does PG figure in that picture? Since he is in the big chair now, will he be able to simply step back down to be Assist. GM or gone completely.  If this was a plan, why didn’t JM move to GM right away? I’m interested, because I would like to se him as GM instead of coach. I would like to see Boucher, or someone similar.

So far this ride is fun… But i hope it keeps getting higher everytime I come around…….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

38. LizardKing1967 says:

oops sorry. lost to Pens last year

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

39. TheDagger says:

They lost their last game 7 against Pens last year, after being up 3-1 in the series.

40. Say Ash says:

Oh, yeah – Rollie the Goalie and Cam Ward. Friggin’ Cam Ward!

41. ManApart says:

Come on Ian. Your’re not convincing anyone on Gainey. Did you forget the last team, that you called bums, were put together by him over the last 5 years? Did you realise that Gainey hired the last bunch of development coaches that you thought was a great move to get rid of? you’re praising Gainey for firing the old team and coaches, but fail to mention it was him who put all of them in place to begin with. A total waste of the past 5 years. It’s like great moves Gainey, you’re a genius for getting rid of the last regime! Oh ya, you are the last regime. I’ve never heard one analyst/announcer/expert say Gainey did a good job these last years. Only you and a few other “Hab fans”. You know why?….Because he didn’t. Face it, the greatest move Gainey did, was leave town. It really is a no-brainer, trust me. Then again, I was one of the early people (last year) who were saying Halak should be the #1 goalie of this franchise and was the better goalie, when 95%+ wouldn’t even consider it. What do I know.

42. LizardKing1967 says:

Caps have won three 7 game series in a row. I say it’s time they LOSE one, no?

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

This is my answer to why did Bob hire Martin for 4 years away from his GM job in Florida.

Bob had said when he came here that he
    was only going to take on this job for 5 or 6 years. He was retiring
    and needed a good hockey man to bring into the organisation to
    eventually replace himself. Martin will be moving into the front office shortly

Martin is a great hockey man, (notice
    I said man, not coach) he has GM experience, bilingual, and has a keen
    eye for talent. He is very well connected throughout the hockey
    industry and carries himself in a very professional manner, he sees the
    whole picture of our organisation and can make corporate and managerial
    decisions.

Many more moves are slowly coming together as we build the next Canadiens winning team. Enjoy the ride to the top!!

44. LizardKing1967 says:

I could not agree with you more, Ian. It takes time to learn to play together. Also, where are all the Hal Gill bashers now, eh? When push comes to shove, he’s been the biggest monster to shove this post season so far.

Gee, Mr. Gainey didn’t know what he was doing right?

Aqcuired Josh Gorges for a good, but expendable d-man.

Signed Hal Gill, Brian Gionta, Scott Gomez, Mike Camalleri, and our BIGGEST sparkplug from game 5 going forward, Travis “Frankenstein” Moen. (Winners, the lot of em)

Did NOT trade Halak, even tho he fed Price from a silver platter.

Drafted PK (that’s MR to you) SUBBAN, next year’s Calder trophy winner.

Hired Jacques Martin, master of coaching, certainly against Boudreau this series. (I heard Brian Wilde explain what our coaching staff is doing, x’s and o’s wise, to stifle the Caps PP, and it’s working, and it’s very, very intelligent). Boudreau looks like he’s VERY ruffled, and Martin looks like a cool cucumber.

OK, so Hammer and Spacek do not look so good, but nobody’s perfect either.

Thank you Mr. Gainey.

We may not win tomorrow (Lord knows I hope and pray and think we will), but this has been a heluv a ride, and to push the BEST and MOST OFFENSIVE team in the league this year to the brink of a seventh game (and maybe history), well, I am overjoyed, and like you say, Ian, next year will be GREAT.

Oh, and, gee, Mr. Ovechkin, when you are given a shooting lane on a three on one breakaway, you are supposed to shoot (he of 50 goals), NOT pass. Now who’s hands are shaking? Halak’s? I think NOT!!

Jim-out. I BELIEVE!

45. ManApart says:

I have a good feeling they’re both gone this off season. Sergei for sure. i’d get rid of both of them anyway. I wonder if we package them with Price and our 1st rounder if Edmonton gives up theirs?

46. SeriousFan09 says:

Our favourite KHL ‘maybe’ prospect Defencemen Alexei Emelin won the KHL Championship with Ak Bars Kazan today, he had 5G, 8A in 22 playoff games games. The left-shooting, 6’1″ 24-year old has another year to go on his KHL deal. He is reported to be a physical, shutdown defencemen who takes a lot of PIMs because of the way refereeing is in the KHL. While he is currently earning a very good living in the KHL, the instability of the league and issues like Moscow Dynamo folding could perhaps have him thinking about the NHL for his future prospects. Not saying he will, but our own version of Anton Volchenkov wouldn’t be a half-bad thing to add to the blueline.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

47. SLONCOLD says:

nice good call

48. keepthefaith says:

Totally agree Ian.  As my name will state, i ve been keeping the faith all year.  Had we had Markov, Gionta, Cammy, Ak 46 all healthy we easily would be fighting Pittsburgh and Ottawa for fourth and fifth and even Buffallo for our division.

I dont see how people can call yourselves a “fan” and then hope your team doesnt make the playoffs?  (yes this means you retro mikey among many others!)

Personally i have enjoyed this year.  It was exactly as  i expected, fighting for the playoffs. I was scoreboard watching in December man, that was fun.

I will probably take some heat from people saying that me being satisfied with my team being in the playoffs is killing the team … blah blah blah… whatever. Nothing i personally say or do has any sort of influence on the Habs. Id rather enjoy them then for my head to explode with anger like a lot of posters on here are going to do.

P.S.  Welcome back

You BET! Bob had said when he came here that he was only going to take on this job for 5 or 6 years. He was retiring and needed a good hockey man to bring into the organisation to eventually replace himself.

Martin is a great hockey man, (notice I said man, not coach) he has GM experience, bilingual, and has a keen eye for talent. He is very well connected throughout the hockey industry and carries himself in a very professional manner, he sees the whole picture of our organisation and can make corporate and managerial decisions.

50. Big Ted says:

PK definitely looked like he belongs. Despite his dumb penalty, I also felt Hamrlik played better last game and perhaps will start to get his confidence back. Too bad we’re out of call-ups (wasted on Maxwell) cause Ryan White would be another guy who could be useful. Having a decent stretch with hamilton and is a big body who could bring presence and energy.

51. SeriousFan09 says:

Because JM as a veteran coach, likely wouldn’t sign a 1 or 2 year deal with the Canadiens? Boucher was hired because he appeared to be our long-term coaching solution, but he had no experience coachng professionals really, which is why he was assigned to coach the Hamilton Bulldogs. Work on a higher level of hockey while dealing with paid veteran players and young skaters who are drafted, signed and working to make the next big leap to the NHL level.

JM can move up in the organization while Boucher takes over the bench as well, this happens from time to time and wouldn’t be seen as unnatural. Canadiens are always under pressure to hire a bilingual coach who can handle the team and JM I guess was their best possible choice, since Boucher couldn’t take the reins yet nor were they sure that he could. I would be beyond shocked if JM was head coach at the end of his current 4 year contract with the Canadiens rather than assistant GM or something.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

52. Sami says:

Great video….made me feel like I was there.

53. jimmy shaker says:

Who’s got all the numbers on game 7’s?

What’s the percentages on the home team winning game 7 after losing game 6 on the road?

What’s the road teams percentage winning game 7 after winning game 6?

Boudreau is 1-2 in game 7’s in the NHL, while Martin is 0-4…ouch!

What is Halak’s record after coming off a 40+ save effort the next game?

Usually the team that wins the first game of the series goes on to win the series.  Percentages on that?

Montreal beating the caps 3 games in a row?….how many 3 game winning  streaks did we have this year?

And how many 3 game losing streaks did the caps have this year?

That should be about it for now….please add more stats to this if you like!

Shaker

54. Big Ted says:

I will add to that that the team we have now took a lot of tinkering over the season to get the line-up we have now. Guys like Pyatt, Darche, SK74, Pouliot, MAB, Moore, and Subban weren’t even on the team, Price was effectively the #1, and as you said, there were numerous injuries throughout the season. So the teams’ records are not necessarily a reflection of how good they are on day 1 of the playoffs. We are undersized and we need to improve our play both with a tight lead and coming back from a change of momentum goal, but otherwise our talent level and depth are pretty good. We have some guys now who are not top 10 players in the league but who perform fairly consistently and who can play two ways. Right now, I think the key is that we want it more than the Caps and are doing what we have to to win. Just hope that continues for one more game and the we can reset.

55. likehoy says:

taking a spin on your delorean? picked a bad time to exercise the flux capacitor cause montreal is in the midst of a snow storm!

- Habs Romance (Lady Gaga remix) http://montreal.virginradio.ca/blogs/39/posts/464

56. mbplekfan says:

PK certainly looked like he belonged last night. I think he gives us another full service attack defenceman and renders MAB obsolete.

His right hand shot from the point is needed and his speed and defensive abilities make him a threat without being a liability in his own end.

The habs need this type of player to expand their offensive capabilities and vary the breakout scenarios.

57. mike g says:

I don’t live in Calgary, but I eat rice too…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

58. mrhabby says:

just guesssing here. BG signed JM to 4 years because he did not know if Boucher could cut it in Hamilton and then at a later date in Montreal as coach. he still has martin if boucher can’t cut it or god forbid leaves the organization and coachs somewhere else.

ps…its not all bad. martin has given the players/organization some structure likely needed as most of these players had never played together.

59. saskhab says:

In 2006, Seeds 5-8 in the West won their first round.  It set up San Jose (5) vs. Edmonton (8), while (6) Anaheim played (7) Colorado.  Then it was 6 vs. 8 in the WCF, before 8th seed Edmonton pushed the #2 Eastern team to 7 games in the Final.  Anaheim, the #6 seed, had TWO series in a row with home ice advantage.

I’d love a 6 vs. 8 ECF, especially if #8 won.  :)

That 2006 year really screwed up my playoff pool.  I was doing incredible early, but eventually ran out of players.

60. likehoy says:

is JM a good coach? yes

is JM the right coach? no

61. pmaraw says:

i thought it was “you stupid f&^%ing idiot”

62. Rob says:

Posted this last night in a bit of a alcohol induced haze, but just wanted to throw it out there again.  I know there’s people living in the Calgary area on this site, and if any of you were interested in getting together for Game 7 on Wednesday, i think it would be great to have a mini HIO summit to hopefully send some positive energy out there for the boys.  So if any of you are interested send me an email at rob_eats_rice@hotmail.com. I’ve had a couple of people respond, but we’re looking for more.  Also if you have any ideas or preferences as to where you would like it held, i’m open to any and all opinions.

GO HABS GO!!!

63. pmaraw says:

actually, the last time that happened was when pronger played in edmonton and they went to the cup finals.  that year in the west all 4 top seeds fell.