Habs want to cut down on shots, or maybe not

From Pat Hickey:
The Canadiens are in a conundrum as they prepare to face the Washington
Capitals Wednesday night in the deciding game of their best-of-seven Eastern
Conference quarterfinal series.

Michael Cammalleri said the Canadiens hope to
cut down on goaltender Jaroslav Halak’s workload by limiting the number of shots
on goal.  Then again, Cammalleri admitted, that might not be a good idea.

“It
seems the more shots he sees, the better he plays,”  Cammalleri said.

That was
the case in Game 6 Monday night, when Halak stopped 53 of 54 shots to backstop
the Canadiens to a 4-1 win. Halak has a 9-0-1 record in games in which he faces
40 or more shots.

•  •  •

Game 6 goal breakdown, from Robert L and Chris Boyle

One thing the Canadiens can do is to continue pushing after
taking a lead. They led 2-0 after one period Monday and then slipped into a
defensive mode. They went more than 10 minutes without a shot to open the second
period and were outshot 15-3.

“It’s human nature,” Cammalleri said. “You don’t
want to do it, but you just don’t want to get caught, so you take a step back
instead of taking a step forward. You see every team doing it, and you see it in
every sport.” The Canadiens were outshot 54-22 Monday.

Defenceman Jaroslav
Spacek, who has missed the past three games with chest congestion, skated
yesterday in Brossard and accompanied the team to Washington, but it’s unlikely
he’ll play Wednesday.

If the Canadiens win, they will face the Pittsburgh
Penguins in the conference semifinals, beginning Saturday.

1. mike g says:

I don’t live in Calgary, but I eat rice too…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

2. mrhabby says:

just guesssing here. BG signed JM to 4 years because he did not know if Boucher could cut it in Hamilton and then at a later date in Montreal as coach. he still has martin if boucher can’t cut it or god forbid leaves the organization and coachs somewhere else.

ps…its not all bad. martin has given the players/organization some structure likely needed as most of these players had never played together.

3. saskhab says:

In 2006, Seeds 5-8 in the West won their first round.  It set up San Jose (5) vs. Edmonton (8), while (6) Anaheim played (7) Colorado.  Then it was 6 vs. 8 in the WCF, before 8th seed Edmonton pushed the #2 Eastern team to 7 games in the Final.  Anaheim, the #6 seed, had TWO series in a row with home ice advantage.

I’d love a 6 vs. 8 ECF, especially if #8 won.  :)

That 2006 year really screwed up my playoff pool.  I was doing incredible early, but eventually ran out of players.

4. likehoy says:

is JM a good coach? yes

is JM the right coach? no

– Habs Romance (Lady Gaga remix) http://montreal.virginradio.ca/blogs/39/posts/464

5. pmaraw says:

i thought it was “you stupid f&^%ing idiot”

6. Rob says:

Posted this last night in a bit of a alcohol induced haze, but just wanted to throw it out there again.  I know there’s people living in the Calgary area on this site, and if any of you were interested in getting together for Game 7 on Wednesday, i think it would be great to have a mini HIO summit to hopefully send some positive energy out there for the boys.  So if any of you are interested send me an email at rob_eats_rice@hotmail.com. I’ve had a couple of people respond, but we’re looking for more.  Also if you have any ideas or preferences as to where you would like it held, i’m open to any and all opinions.

GO HABS GO!!!

7. pmaraw says:

actually, the last time that happened was when pronger played in edmonton and they went to the cup finals.  that year in the west all 4 top seeds fell.

8. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

I think Muller must have done something right – he survived last year’s purge which sent Jarvis and everyone else packing.

Martin is an old fart – old school.

Here’s how it goes: play my system or sit. complain, and you sit. young players have to “earn” their ice.

I’m not saying you are wrong – i agree with you that our young players have not developed.

maybe Gainey hired the wrong freakin coach??

By the way, the former development coaches have been dismissed from Hamilton for failing. Another great GM move.

10. likehoy says:

as much as we dislike JM, he’s a systematic coach. he knows what he wants, and he knows how to get it done. despite being a questionable coach, JM gets results and BG saddled us with a coach that may not be flashy, but will get results for the next 4 years.

his biggest fault is his inability to be creative and make adjustments, but we’re seeing an interesting change throughout these playoffs.

11. pmaraw says:

Meanwhile, the Caps were still scratching their heads over Jaroslav Halak’s 53 saves in game 6. It did provide this gem from Boudreau though, who led the American Hockey League in scoring in the 1980s and was asked if he ever faced a goalie who would just not be beat. “I’ve faced those goalies, and you want to take your stick and hit him over the head with it… but you can’t do that.”

and brucey wants to talk about diving?  wasnt it eric fehr who DID hit halak over the head with his stick?  im guessing now that brucey told him to do this.

12. derfab says:

Which is why the habs should get nasty with caps top players. This is war. make ovi groan from his groin.

13. mrhabby says:

right on about the brothers and the other guys, other wise we send them packing and  get lesser light back who may or may not work out and all the money and time is wasted. i to am tired of seeing other teams take our players and have them turn into more productive players..hecnce all this talk about price is a bum and has an attitude, etc,etc.

14. likehoy says:

muller’s in charge of the PP and pretty much the “rah-rah” coach. even if he develops players, JM has to play them, which JM chooses agaisnt it.

perry pearn works witht he dmen and the PK, so if OB doesn’t play, it’s pearn.

If price/halak doesn’t play well, it’s groulx.

it’s really hard to pin-point who’s doing what in our coaching staff, in the end it’s a combination of all 4 coaches that we would have to blame.

15. ed lopaz says:

also – one other question which I have asked several times on this site.

for those who are such supporters of Bob Gainey (the GM), why would he sign Jm for 4 years given how lousy JM is with young studs and how terrible a coach he is?

Ian, care to take that one on?

I know you are a big supporter of Gainey, and I respect your opinions.

or Serious 09?

care to explain to me why were are saddled with JM for the next 3 years after this one?

16. mike g says:

Sad but true…

PP’s will be 8-3 in favor of WSH tomorrow…..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

17. SeriousFan09 says:

Could be, don’t know of course but Muller’s also charged with special teams and I think the primary responsibility for player development must fall to the head coach. It is his show and while Muller is supposed to be the guy being the ‘player’s coach’ more or less with the team, head coach has to take some responsibility for basically nobody but Halak and OB having improved on their previous year’s performances.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

18. Habscore says:

Just this….:)

— YES HABS CAN!! —

Our record of finishing in 8th place is not indicative of how good a team we really are now. Don’t forget at the beginning of the year, most of these players never even knew each other let alone play together. We had a new coaching staff to put together as well.

Then as we started the season our best defenseman went down for a long injury break, followed by many more injuries. It was not until the end of the season that we could ice a full roster.

All the while players were interchanging from Hamilton and here trying to create some kind of chemistry.

We are one hell of a lot better than our record to date and people are stunned. Not I, says’s I. We will make a noise come play off time was my message for months.

We will be even better in the fall, until then, were having a ball.!!!

20. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

I agree with the conclusions regarding the young players.

but you know that we kept Muller as the “relationship” guy in the room.

Muller is supposed to be working with the young guys, developing them and keeping them on the straight and narrow.

Maybe its Muller that is to blame.

is that possible?

21. SeriousFan09 says:

Subban off the farm is a definite, as is likely Ryan White and I’m sure Tom Pyatt is penciled in for next season’s roster. However, moving both brothers for maybe a 25-goal Top 6 guy just reeks of another time we failed in player development and because of it, we dropped two for 1 lesser player and two guys who will look great somewhere else. Tired of giving every other team in the NHL a star player that we drafted Ian. I want a coach on the Canadiens whose young players improve with each season, not regress.

Who’s the last guy we drafted and for say, 3 straight years as a player under 25, his numbers improved each year besides Jaroslav Halak? I know there’s growing pains and bumps in the road but come on, we have to start hitting the fairway rather than the sandtraps and water hazards sooner or later on developing our young skaters.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

22. mike g says:

The last time that happened was in the 2010 Playoffs, when Boston finished 6th and had home ice vs the 7th place Flyers…

That happened because the #8 seed Montreal played vs the #4 seed Pittsburgh….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

23. Rudy says:

So no riot last night?

24. Da Hema says:

Ian: I believe Hamrlik has one more year left on his contract. So unless he is traded (quite unlikely given the size of his contract) or released, Hamrlik will play with the Habs next year.

————————

“There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge….”

–Hunter S. Thompson

25. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

don’t want to interfere in your conversation boys, but you can probably throw yannick webber and ben maxwell into the mix

it will be something like this:

big tits + little tits + webber for the best top 6 power forward we can find.

26. derfab says:

ahoogch! (Jacques Demers cough).

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Hence why I write I think rather than I know.

I think that’s how it will turn out, if I’m wrong I’m wrong but I’m not going to say I know that AK would score like Stamkos if Boucher coached or Sergei would play like Pavel Datsyuk if he was the full-time coach, these are my guesses on the situation, possiblities yes but I won’t say that is what will happen. How this summer goes with the roster I don’t know, but I just thought I’d chime in on where I think it might all end.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

28. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

its you and I, ’72, – the 2 old farts against the young whipper snappers who presume to know everything.

plus que ca change……

Not really the time to be making up next years team now (09) but there are a few pieces yet to move out of town.

I pick both K brothers to bring in one decent top 6 forward for the pair of them. They are history my friend.

The Hammer and MAB will not be back.

I am sure there will be a couple more.

But we do have some kids on the farm ready, you saw one of them last night.

30. SeriousFan09 says:

Those are all possible scenarios, but given JM’s track record with the young guys this season, it’s hard to just say that SK might be the problem given that I find BG had enough of locker room problems and cleared out his issues there when he rebooted the team over the summer, dealing Gui for Pouliot and at that point if SK was still a problem, would’ve sent him packing too, if he was that problematic, I think Gainey would have kicked the low-producing kid by now, or PG would’ve done it as well.

Looking at the young players though, Pouliot has seriously regressed from his initial debut, OB was scratched for 3 games in these playoffs over what? Laps couldn’t get going for nearly the entire regular season, AK’s been well, Andrei of 08-09 with fewer goals, SK never got credit for playing well when he did and when he isn’t, well he’s really up the creek. Price hasn’t gone anywhere under JM, his goal adjustments I think owe more to Pierre Groulx than anything JM’s done. I don’t think JM’s done that well to develop the young guys or work with them is the problem.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

31. Say Ash says:

If we win tomorrow, Boston has home ice. That’s crazy! When is the last time the sixth seed had home ice in the second round?

32. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

we can not assume to know that either, can we?

we don’t know what it takes to get benched in the NHL, do we?

we are only guessing and speculating.

33. jimmy shaker says:

Now break it down on Hammer…and you’ll soon discover that Hammer should be the one sitting and MAB playing in his spot.  It will be real clear when you list the negatives that hammer is playing with vs his positives compared to MAB.  That should be the only lineup change for us…sitting hammer and bringing in Spacek or just using MAB, and allowing darche to play or SK74.  But in the end JM will keep it status quo!

Shaker

34. BJ says:

Maybe he said “Stop the Puck” (sure he did!)

35. HabFanSince72 says:

Bruins – Flyers?

I’m cheering for a  meteorite.

36. HabFanSince72 says:

Serious – how do you know all this?

Oh wait. You don’t.

37. Gormdog says:

So… What happens when the Caps get 8 PP’s in game 7, half of them debatable, while the Canadiens get mugged and only get automatic calls in their favor (trips, high sticks, too many men)?

I don’t believe in conspiracies, but I also know that the NHL would 100 times rather have the Caps advance. Plain and simple, the league doesn’t make any more money when the Habs win. This city already maxes out on revenues/tv ratings/merchandising and almost everything else related to hockey except for playoff success (in recent years). The league has nothign to gain by the Canadiens going on a run – the brand is as successful as you can expect an NHL team to be.

This being said, after last night, I think the rest of the league took notice. Anyone with any hockey knowledge realized that the Habs got jobbed last night. Not that the 2 max dives were bad calls, but, in playoff time it’s a real stretch to see THREE called in the same game against a team. Now whether it was a league mandate trickled down to the refs for this series, or just a general loathing of the Montreal Canadiens by the refs in this league, last nights call on GIONTA was a textbook trip, against a player who holds the utmost credibility. In fact Gio is a highly respected player in this league for always working hard despite his physical limitations. After that call, everyone in league knows somethings rotton in the state of Denmark. And by Denmark I mean hockey games involving the Canadiens.

(And if you think this is bad… Just wait until Lapierre even touches Crosby from behind. Boarding plus an extra 2 for “being a montreal douche”)

38. likehoy says:

boudreau’s a hack…been saying it since game 3!

there’s a reason no one gave him an NHL job for 20 years!

39. nick says:

It’s my belief that if the issues were as great as you “what – if”, then it wouldn’t be a matter of how often he plays… he wouldn’t be playing at all.

40. SeriousFan09 says:

True, but I think AK will have a certain resentment towards JM about SK getting dealt because he had it out for the guy and that does affect contract decisions and what he might do following the 10-11 season if SK goes and he stays. I want both Kostitsyns in a Canadiens uniform because of the depth it gives us, but AK might walk on this because of how he feels about his brother not getting dealt for the good of the team in a trade, but because the coach had it in for him.

I don’t like the situation and I’m just not seeing many rosy scenarios right now.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

41. jimmy shaker says:

And that he got an assist on the opening goal, and made a couple of solid plays on Laich when he had another shorthanded opportunity.

Shaker

42. Eliisa says:

I will make sure I do everything I did on Monday for tomorrow evening. Though I don’t actually get to see the game live tomorrow because I work until 5:15 or 8:15 ET. I am sure I will be allowed to throw on my Habs jersey at work though – it is afterall the playoffs. Keep that cap on. I can already feel the victory.

43. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

honestly – I’m not trying to say i know anything more about SK than you do – but here’s my what if?

what if Sergei is a total a-hole in the room, and guys like Gionta, and Gill, and markov are totally fed up with him and his antics?

what if JM and the whole coaching staff have sat down with Segei several times and explained everything they expect from him and he still does not follow the system?

what if Sergei has told JM that he does NOT want to play on the 3rd or 4th line and that he’d rather not play at all?

what if Sergei told JM to stuff it ealier this year when he was sent to Hamilton and he has NEVER tried to reconcile with the Habs coaching staff?

You see what I’m saying.

Do we really know what the true story is behind closed doors?

If SK is benched, we assume to know why.

But maybe he is benched because he deserves it???

what id

44. likehoy says:

obviously the brothers have an effect on each other’s decisions, but often AK and SK have said they make their decisions separately.

i still want to see AK and SK together in a canadiens uniform, they add a lot of depth to our team. trading both for just one top 6 really depletes our skill-level in our top 9. we need that top 6 to be more of a top 3 otherwise we’re losing out on the trade.

45. Eliisa says:

Because that is going to motivate him to play so much better. Classy. I was embarrassed for him when I was watching the press conference.

46. longtimehabsfan says:

Thanks for the post.  Wish I was there.

47. Da Hema says:

I hope Landsburgh buys Laraque a big steak and tender baby lamb.

————————

–Hunter S. Thompson

48. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Eliisa, Its good to hear you are into playoff mood. Don’t change a thing “IF” it is a winning formala. I have my rally Habs Cap on backwards while catching eveything in site like a catcher behind the plate in baseball.

49. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

good one!

reminds me of a Pat Burns story

– silimar to that – where he talks to his players in the dressing room. goes something like this:

“boys, nice job last period, we really have them fooled now, they think we’re terrible, they think we can’t skate, pass, or shoot the puck, good work, now we have them exactly where we want them!!”

50. SeriousFan09 says:

Unfortunately under JM I don’t think we’ll get the Kostitsyns to most, if not all we expected them to be. The bad blood between Sergei and JM has reached a tipping point and with Andrei reaching the last year of his contract for the 10-11 season, I don’t think he will re-sign if SK is traded in the off-season because of the conflict between him and Martin, because he won’t be a big fan of signing with the team where the coach railroaded his brother out of the organization. A team like Detroit who loves reclamation projects will take them both and make us look like bad, again.

I honestly believe the only way we keep the Kostitsyns on is with Boucher taking over for next season, I don’t think it will happen for next year but if it does, probably only way we keep them. Otherwise, PG will likely deal both going for a Top 6 forward in the off-season, I just don’t see Andrei sticking around if Martin runs his brother out of town.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

51. HabFanSince72 says:

Yeah – fans happy to see their team win are such a drag.

52. Eliisa says:

Did I ever :). I was decked right out in my Habs gear (and got heckled endlessly at the grocery store after the game – by a buncha freakin’ Canucks). I would say I wouldn’t wash those particular socks… but that just isn’t right.

53. Mr.Hazard says:

Gionta’s wasn’t, you’re right. But there were TWO solo diving calls on Lappy => 3 total.

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

54. Mr.Hazard says:

You said it Ian!

Although the bandwagoners are already starting to bug me!! The Bell Centre was surrounded last night with yelling people and honking cars and waving flags, by people who probably hadn’t watched more than 5-10 games the entire season.

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

55. Kooch7800 says:

He has so much talent but never really seems to be engaged in the game.

56. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Did anybody watch “OTR” lastnight on TSN? Michael Landsburgh and Big George Laraque. BGL was chanting Go Habs Go and he and Landsburg had a bet on who will win. BGL took the Habs and Michael took Washington. Michael has to pay for BGL meal at BGL restaurant. It was the 1st time for BGL to be outside the Bell Centre since being let go in January. BGL did not want to go inside to see the boys and decided to stay away instead. Atta boy George, You get your meal free at your own restaurant. Priceless!!!!

57. Say Ash says:

You wore the socks?

58. likehoy says:

anyone noticed our whipping boy andrei K with a couple of backchecks last night? he twiced removed the puck from a caps player behind our goal line.

if he did that night-in, night-out, he’d be an incredible player. he has the size and strength to do it and the skill and speed to keep it.

59. MrBigTime says:

Gionta’s diving call wasn’t solo…. Fleischmann was also called on the trip (not that it was a good call, or even close to it)

60. Eliisa says:

Yes, since the top three seeded teams will be knocked out we face the Pens. And then the Bruins and Flyers will have a go at each other.

61. Habscore says:

I don’t know if anybody wrote this but according to TSN and RDS, BB actually yelled “Stupid F**k! ” to his goalie the other night…wow

— YES HABS CAN!! —

62. Habscore says:

At some point last night, he even said to reporters “… help me out there!..What do you do to get more ready” lol

— YES HABS CAN!! —

63. Habby2CU says:

I was trying to explain to my girlfriend at the game last night how improbable it is to have 3 diving calls in a single game. Now I can give her an exact number. Thanks!

Jacques Martin’s game plan worked to perfection.

What
    a coach, letting Washington stay in our end all night firing pucks to
    keep Halak warm and supple. While the Capital’s goal tender stiffened
    up from no work and cold. It was like pick-en cherries!

We will get rid of these guys on Wednesday night and get ready for a long series with Crosby and the Pens, then clear sailing.

Love it when a plan comes together.

Now
    everyone knows,!! that this team is much better than most people
    thought. Entertainment and thrills are back in town boys and girls.

Still scared that Martin shortens his bench to much.

65. joe the pro says:

go habs go, we will win in washinghton, you can count on it. i want to ask who will we be playingthe next round? is it pittsburg?

66. B says:

Darche might be a more effective 3rd liner than Pouliot.

67. Born in a Bad Year says:

Every Habs fan should by a lottery ticket…

Three solo diving calls this year in the NHL, in 1260 games equals one every 440 games. The odds of that happening in one game is (one in 440) cubed or a one in 74,088,000 chance of that ever happening. Try to get your casino to pay off when that happens.

At least a casino would have some sort of investigation if something like that ever happened.

Oh, I’m sorry, did I use the words “pay off” in relation to a NHL reffing discussion. My bad.

68. alfieturcotte says:

I hope that JM has the good sense to not tinker at all with his line up for game 7.  Though MAB is a liability in most areas of his game, he remains vital for the PP and JM has finally learned that these are the only instances when he should be used.   Also, would rather see PK Subban in there than a somewhat healthy Spacek.

69. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey

is it MAB’s fault we gave up 54 shots?

70. PeterStone says:

when the coach uses the word “frig” in a press conference … you know he’s shook up

71. Tariq says:

Martin has to be have various strategies for the final game, incase things dont click, we should use Subbhan more as he has the skills to score goals..r we practising today or sumthng??

72. Mattee. says:

Been jumping around my house all day…. and i’m a grown ass man. What has come over me?

73. Bugs says:

He’s the Incredible Halk. Ga ahead and make’m angry by shootin on’m more, see what happens.

Ga ahead!

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

74. Big Ted says:

Does JM tinker with the line-up for next game or go with what won him the last 2? Assuming Spacek’s not able to go, the question remains what to do about MAB. He clearly has zero confidence right now, he can’t keep the puck in at the offensive blue-line, his shot’s not getting through on net, he can’t defend against the Caps’ rush, and he just lost his job to a guy with 3 games experience in the NHL. Part of me thinks he sist for next game and we get a guy like Darche or SK74 back in on the 4th line. The other part of me thinks we’re doing okay with the doube-shifting of Cammy or Laps and that having MAB play just the PP is not so bad. At least that way, we have 4 D (with Subban) who can play the PP effectively and it saves Gorges for PK. I have hated the way MAB has played these playoffs but I think he stays in the lineup next game. The coaches really need to sit down with him and show him video of what he was doing right on the PP earlier this year though. The guy needs a major confidence boost, but I think he has the potential to help us win game 7. Too optimistic or a realistic possibility?

75. Habscore says:

Crazy video shot after last night’s win in front of the Bell center…look at 4:50 min, poor reporter. Hilarious!

— YES HABS CAN!! —