Habs waiting for MRI results of Pacioretty’s injury

new Pacioretty pic for HIO

(File photo)

The Canadiens are still waiting for Max Pacioretty’s MRI results and didn’t provide an update on his lower-body injury after the team’s morning skate Thursday in Brossard.

Pacioretty suffered a left leg injury Tuesday during the Habs 3-0 win over the Winnipeg Jets and had to be helped off the ice. He went for medical tests on Wednesday.

Forward Rene Bourque has the flu and was also absent from practice. The Habs hope he might be ready to play tonight when they face off against the Columbus Blue Jackets at the Bell Centre.  (7:30 p.m., RDS, TSN-Habs, TSN 690 Radio.). However, the team says a decision will be made later today.

If Bourque doesn’t play, the Canadiens will go with seven defensemen with Nathan Beaulieu skating as a forward. (The team doesn’t plan to call up anyone from its farm club, the Hamilton Bulldogs.) Beaulieu practised on a forward line at the morning skate alongside Ryan White and Michaël Bournival.

Defenseman Douglas Murray skated on his own Thursday morning with Graham Rynbend, the Canadiens’ head athletic therapist. Murray has been out with an upper-body injury and hasn’t played yet this season–his first as a Hab since signing a one-year deal with the team in August as a free agent.

The lines at the morning skate were:

Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher

Moen-Plekanec-Gionta

Prust-Desharnais-Briere

Beaulieu-Bournival-White.

These were the defensive pairings:

Subban-Markov

Gorges-Diaz

Bouillon-Tinordi

1. HockeyInsideronFacebook says:

I see rumors circulating about Pacioretty tearing a quad muscle… nothing’s official yet.

4-6 months of shelf coming up

Check us out at Hockey Insider on Facebook!
    GOHABSGO!

2. frontenac1 says:

Odds on Lucy decking Tea Bag Timmy tonight?

3. frontenac1 says:

Oilers? Who gives a sh*t? Vas-y Les Boys!

4. Phil C says:

Edmonton should take a flyer on Bryzgalov. Because he is playing in the ECHL, he does not have to clear waivers. Sign him to a two-way contract so that if it doesn’t work out, he can be dumped in the minors.

5. Maritime Ronn says:

Hi

If all that has been written is true, the Habs now have a Dman that should be in Hamilton, who is going to play a 4th line forward position.

Can someone please explain.

6. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Where’s that livegameblogthing? I feel the need to crash a server!

7. Mattyleg says:

Hey, are players playing in the KHL signable by NHL teams?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

8. adamkennelly says:

whats with the Yakupov trade rumors already? seems to be coming from credible sources…

• Habcouver says:

Get the feeling there’s no love between Yaks and Eakins?

Waiting patiently for #25

• Luke says:

Who do you think will be there 5 years from now?

I’d never get rid of an impact player because the coach has an issue with him.

3 years later you are looking for a new coach and lamenting trading that player.

• Habcouver says:

I’m with you on that, Luke!

Case in point: Roy vs… I can’t utter his name :-|

Waiting patiently for #25

• Luke says:

HAHa!

I never even thought of it as Roy vs whosiemawhathisname.

Just something I have always thought in general terms.

Coaches last 3-5 years with a team. A great player can play for 20.

Find the coach to fit the team, not the players to fit the coach…
            (Role players excepted).

Yak/Eakins and Gardiner/Carlyle are the ones that come to mind presently.

• longbow says:

Chelios – Ron Corey !!!

” Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm ” – Winston Churchill

• savethepuck says:

Patrick Roy and Mario Tremblay ?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
          Carey Price

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

The idea that they’d move one of the top 4 isn’t new. Every since MacT said he was going to make ‘significant’ changes or whatever it was…those 4 guys are the only players they have that’d constitute significant (maybe Hemsky).

Most are under the impression that Hall and Nuge aren’t going anywhere (Hall is too good, Nuge is a center). That leaves Eberle and Yakupov…and Yakupov has been benched twice this season, so…..

• adamkennelly says:

Eberle has more value than Yakupov no? but they hardly gave this kid a chance…EDM is brutal to the point of embarrassment with no end in sight…Habs should get in on the talks if they are willing to move Eberle.

• The Juice says:

The Oil are in big trouble…can you believe they named Ference their captain??

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• jamman says:

Lol so true. Ference was a good fit in Boston. Why? Cuz he was not counted on as a top guy. Now in edm hes playing against top lines on what is an already a fragile defense. not to mention hes small for a dman

9. Habfan10912 says:

Isn’t it possible we’re all jumping to conclusions that Beaulieu will be playing forward? Teams do occasionally dress 7 defenseman and perhaps he’ll play D on the power play with some other shifts and the team will double shift a few forwards in and out. This would make better sense to me if indeed Bourque is not available.

10. Cal says:

HIO Show has Knuckles with Stu and Dave. 15 minutes very well spent.

11. vancouverite says:

Funny quote from the Denver Post:

“If anyone knew what a good rivalry was by the time he came to Denver in December 1995, it was Patrick Roy. As a goalie with the Montreal Canadiens, he already had been a part of three of the best rivalries in hockey history. Montreal vs. Boston, Montreal vs. Toronto, Montreal vs. Quebec — heated, passionate, storied rivalries, all.

But none of them came close to the rivalry that would become Avalanche vs. Red Wings.”

12. PeterD says:

I like the move of Beaulieu to wing…with his defensive lapses and his high end offensive and skating skills he could be groomed at a LW forward position.
    Might be good for the organization longer term as our LW pipeline is thin and our D-man pipeline is thick.

• Luke says:

No thanks.

D.

Beaulieu is one of the main reasons that the Habs have perceived depth on D.
      Only he and Tinordi have shown the skills to become NHL regulars out of that crop.

Burns was a forward when drafted. Lemaire and teh Wild thought he’d be a good fit on D. He’s back playing his regular position. Not sure why people are surprised at his success there.

• NoTinFoilCups says:

Disagree, Pateryn might be better than either of then.

• Luke says:

Agreed.

(To disagree :) )

• longbow says:

Maybe not Pateryn but I have my money on Dietz. What I saw of him in training camp was a D-man making the kind of mistakes you would expect from someone with no AHL or NHL experience. What I also saw was someone that was decisive and without hesitation in everything he did. I would say that,in terms of what he has to do to become a regular in the NHL,half the battle is already won. Gorges better start looking over his shoulder. So should Diaz since I think Nygren is hot on his tail. Along with Beaulieu,Subban,Tinordi and Emelin we don’t have to worry too much.

• Habcouver says:

It would be nice if they discover NB as a Brent Burns story!

Waiting patiently for #25

• Supersonic says:

other than Wendel Clark, I don’t know of any defenseman that was converted into a forward with success. Clark was the #1 pick overall

And Burns has 20 goals in over 100 games with San Jose, not exactly top 6 production

The silver lining in all of this could be that Habs will have to tighten up and won’t blow a first game at home after a long trip. Perhaps these injuries will keep them focused.

14. Sportfan says:

Lol Price shoving players out of the crease is pretty funny!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

15. PeterD says:

Big mistake moving Moen to 2nd line.
    He is a 4th liner at best.
    Should have moved the high energy and speed of Bournival up to 2d or 3rd line. Remember he had a productive camp this year.

• Timo says:

I predict that lines will changes about 23 times during the game.

• Luke says:

Its a minutes and a trust thing.

Moen is a known quantity and Bournival isn’t. MT can plop Moen on line #2 and not worry about the 16-18 minutes.

It’s also only the paperwork that’s being filed. Once the puck drops Bournival may see some time there. So may others.

Before calling it a mistake, let’s see what actually happens.

• PeterD says:

Mistake may have been too harsh I admit…
        I know Moen is reliable…but I’m thinking about offensive skills and speed…he just doesn’t have that the way Bournival has shown…
        But you are correct…its only the starting line up pencilled in…we’ll see as the game moves along.

16. Lafleurguy says:

Jonathan Bernier was available and the Leafs gave up journeymen to get him. But to be fair, McTavish was occupied with the very important negotiations with Nugent-Hopkins’ agent.

“May you live in interesting times.”

17. Habs_Norway says:

Man, Prust is looking GOOD ! He will be like a taliban in the playoffs if he continues to grow his beard.
    Too bad Whitey shaved his head, otherwise we would have the best hair, best beard and best stache in Parros.
    Ai ai ai

______________________________________
    Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

18. Sportfan says:

on the you might also like section, “Chris Pronger Still at Large” with a creepy photo, not the best way to promote him lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• donmarco says:

I’m curious about something. If Pronger officially retires his full salary would count against the cap until 2017 (if he stays on LTIR it doesn’t). With Holmgren saying publicly that Pronger will never play hockey again, is that not effectively saying he is retiring from the sport? Pronger won’t “retire” for 3 more seasons, I suspect, but are Holmgren’s comments tantamount to cap circumvention?

I asked the same question a couple days ago. Evidently, as you stated correctly, as long he doesn’t officially retire he remains LTIR. None of the talking heads on TSN, Sportsnet etc…. have questioned this as cap circumvention.

It appears the league is okay with this procedure given the severity of the injury perhaps, or perhaps given the owner of the team is key to the leagues TV deal.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Technically, it’s not cap circumvention since it’s Ed Snider’s Flyers that are doing it.

Practically, I think it’s fine that he go on LTIR for this injury, it’s not a fake one that they concocted to get around the cap, he got maimed while playing. So he should get his salary, and the team should be able to avail itself of the LTIR provisions.

It’s legitimate in my eyes. He’s not retiring because he can’t play any more, he’s effectively retired because an injury ended his career.

• Luke says:

I wonder, should he not officially retire, if the Flyers could trade him (and his cap hit) to a Cap-Floor team.

The team chooses to use the LTIR relief, correct?

(I’m just scheming here, I doubt it’d happen).

• Morenz7 says:

I too see Pronger’s LTIR status as valid under the CBA, but I also think what he and the Flyers are doing is an abuse of the provision. It would make sense to put a two-year limit on LTIR for cap purposes—otherwise you make a mockery of the rule and invite other teams to engage in this sort of charade (lots of guys are forced out of the league by injury while still under contract).

• Sportfan says:

So does that make Pronger a jerk for not retiring or is it Phillys problem?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• bel33 says:

Pronger’s not being a jerk… he’s helping the Flyers by NOT retiring. Both parties are in agreement. Holmgren can say what he wants to get the reporters off his back… but behind closed doors he’s thanking Chris for not throwing in the towel.

– I’d buy that for a dollar! -

19. Cardiac says:

Galchenyuk vs. Murray

Interest matchup between the guy that should’ve went 2nd in 2012 vs. the guy who ended up being drafted 2nd overall.

Also, makes you wonder if the Oilers should have picked Murray instead of Yakupov…

– Jerry Maguire

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Should the Oilers have picked Murray instead of Yakupov?

Think it’s pretty much 100% consensus they should have.

As for Galchenyuk….let’s say (quasi) Russian knee surgery has never been such a positive thing for us ;)

20. habsfan0 says:

A Ukranian astronomer is predicting that an asteroid might collide with the earth in 2032.
    If true,this may play havoc with the NHL schedule that year.

21. donmarco says:

The over/under tonight is 5 goals. 5??? Think I’ll call my buddy Louie the Spoon and bet big on the under.

22. frontenac1 says:

Boll,Foligno,Horton in Careys paint tonight?Tinordi could have a busy night. P.S. If you don’t wash your hands after using the toilet, you will go to hell.

23. DalEng says:

Lineup looks pretty weak tonight if Bourque can’t go. Time to dig deep for these 2 points.

I expect a ton of minutes tonight for the EGG line. Also, Galchenyuk
    should be double shifted all night

24. AH says:

So the Habs are all cozy at home now after a good road trip; potentially Pacs and Bourque out and playing a weak team; potential to stink out the joint tonight?

In an effort to get Boston fans to attend the Bruins/Panthers game tonight in Miami, the Panthers are promising Boston fans that the baseball game featuring the Red Sox will be on the arena TV’s.

• donmarco says:

I know if we still had the Expos (SOB!) and they were in the playoffs I’d be watching that and not the Habs/Jackets. So would most people.

Agree on the Spo’s, I just couldn’t imagine the Habs catering to Boston fans. I don’t blame them for doing this, just a sign of how much more work it is to get fans out to games in the Sunbelt.

• donmarco says:

Should have read your post more carefully. Just now noticed the game was in Florida. Could not see Habs (or Bruins or any other well drawing team) doing the same thing to accommodate VISITING fans.

• Cal says:

I’d be watching the Habs. Baseball is just too slow.
        The best way to watch baseball is highlight reels.

• twilighthours says:

Every time I try to watch baseball I fall aslezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Habsrule1 says:

Love the Habs, but I’d be watching the Expos for sure.

Go Habs Go!!

• donmarco says:

I remember a time during the Expos peak years where they sure didn’t play boring baseball.

• Cal says:

I remember that early 80s team. I went to a double-header at the Big Owe two years in a row. Both times against Mike Schmidt’s Phillies. Swept the Spos both bleeping times. Just painful.

@Dunboyne Mike- very weird. Almost as painful to remember as Blue Monday.

• Mattyleg says:

That’s one of the reasons they put the roof on; too many double-header games lost.
            The roof killed the Expos.

Like the NHL in the Sunbelt; nobody wants to sit inside in the dark when it’s beautiful out.
            Especially not in Montreal when we sit inside all winter.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Cal, I’m pretty sure I was at one of those. Weird to think, eh?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Mike Schmidt, Dale Murphy, Rick Monday, Willie Stargell, Dave Parker…

We sure had a lot of bugaboos.

Think Patrick Roy still has memories of the Red Wings vs. Avalanche rivalry?

Hate to give Kypreos or Doug Maclean any credit for anything, but a good point was brought up by them and probably others. With Colorado and Calgary having such good starts, this is putting huge pressure on the OIlers. No team has tanked more the past 4-5 seasons, yet the OIlers still appear further away than others with their rebuild.

Kevin Lowe + Craig MacTavish + Dallas Eakins = ?

28. JO says:

wonder who’s gonna get injured tonight – Line combination changes all 6-Games – Hard to believe how we keep winning – MB & MT making all the right moves – Lets see if this one is successful tonight we have the better team but having to make changes every game has to go against us sooner or later!!

29. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Don’t understand waiting to see if a guy with the flu can play or not. Keep him away from his team-mates…you want everyone sick?

• Habcouver says:

I see the odd masked folks walking around. Looks odd but seems like a better idea nowadays.

Waiting patiently for #25

• donmarco says:

I’m no physician but I’m pretty sure one carries the virus prior to symptoms showing so I’m hoping he wasn’t carrying it on the plane ride back from Winnipeg. I’ve seen teams go down en masse with the flu and even when recovered it takes a while to get back up to speed. I’m with you, keep him away. But I also think it might be too late.

30. Jradicus says:

I would like to see Akim Aliu get a shot with the big club during the next call down to the Dogs. Something tells me this kid has something special. It didn’t work in Calgary… But I like that he’s a big kid with heart. Something we could use…

• Kooch7800 says:

He scored in the first dogs game. I think he may still need to prove himself in the AHL as he has always been a bit more of a goon. I hope he does break out and show he can play

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Luke says:

Not to limit the man’s potential… but to have him turn into a Chris Neil/Shawn Thornton/Prust type 3rd liner who can contribute double digit goals and 10 or 12 tough minutes would be awesome.

(50 goal, Brendan Shanahan would be better).

It’d be nice to see the Habs have a successful reclaimation prpject for once.

Would he need to clear waivers if the Habs signed him to an NHL contract?

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t think he would have to clear waivers but I am not expert on the matter. I think the habs would just have to sign him to a contract. Not sure the sample size is anywhere big enough yet to warrant that.

I agree, if they could turn him into a decent 3rd or 4th line player that would be awesome. He showed he has talent but his issue I think is temper and between his ears

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Correct, right now he’s a NHL free agent, the AHL contract only binds him to the Bulldogs, not the Canadiens. The Canadiens could sign him, or any other NHL team could sign him. I think it was commandant who posted once that usually the parent team of the AHL-contracted player gets first crack, they have the player on their farm team after all, but sometimes they don’t have room, and another team is more eager.

• Grimmly says:

he only has a Bulldog contract montreal would have to sign him first

31. frontenac1 says:

Les Boys better be ready tonight. The Jackets have some pretty big Lads in the line up.

32. Walmyr says:

so…

MaxPac with ACL…E1

Bourque not playing tonight…E3

Our lack of depth on the LW…E5

cheers

33. @UCE, in reply to your post on the previous thread:

I liked your idea of signing Gagne and Morrow a lot this summer. IMO, these moves would have fit the team’s needs much better than Brière does, for less cap hit, and probably for less term. It also would have fulfilled the understandable desire for native son, and given us more options in the event of injuries like Max’s.

If Gagne is healthy enough to play, I can’t imagine why we wouldn’t offer him $1M for one year even now — and even if Max is only out for a couple of weeks. In a sport like hockey, it’s inevitable that someone else will get hurt, and when that happens, I’d much rather have Gagne playing forward than Beaulieu.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• sirs81 says:

MB wants to build the team from with in… He will call up players rather then sign some FA for one year taking away development from the youth…. At least its how I see him doing things…

• You’re right, and that makes sense. I just don’t know who we can call up, aside from Leblanc and possibly Aliu. The Bulldogs are still pretty weak at forward, and no one’s long-term development is served by Beaulieu’s time on the fourth line. I’d feel better with at least a little more depth on the farm — even if they’re unremarkable Blair Betts types.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I assume they went after Morrow and he declined.

But people here have said that MB didn’t want to sign him, I trust the posters here too much to not believe them. ;-)

• Could be — I thought I’d read that Morrow’s agent was waiting on the Habs though. But frankly, a lot of that stuff is probably about as reliable as Eklund. : )

• shiram says:

Gagne reached out to the Habs in the off-season and they said no, I don’t think Max’s injury will change that.

• JUST ME says:

Just go back and read the dozens of comments about Briere this ,Briere that and now we would add Gagne this Gagne that ? Already some here see a french conspiracy with Briere you want to add to the plot ?
      Bergevin has a plan and even though injuries must be part of it, i am sure that a guy like Bournival if need be will do the job full time and maybe surprise us. Give more minutes to the kid`s line and try to fill in the hole left by the injured.

I do agree that Beaulieu has nothing to do up front. He is able to replace for an emergency but he might as well be sent back to the Bulldogs to play every game big minutes on D.

• Not a conspiracy — just a low-risk, high potential reward player. I don’t care what language he speaks, but adding any other player (except maybe Leblanc) would cost us something in return. He doesn’t.

34. jamman says:

Wouldn’t mind seeing Galchenyuk shoot more. I can recall two plays in the last two games where he had a point blank shot and decided to feed Plekanec(missed an open net) and Gallagher(bobbled the puck). He’s a great passer indeed but you can argue he has the best wrist shot on the team

• I can’t think of a single odd-man rush over the last few games where the Hab with the puck elected to shoot instead of passing. Generosity is a virtue, but sometimes you’ve just got to take the shot.

• Luke says:

I yelled at the TV about this VS Winnipeg.

They gave up too many good chances to shoot and it resulted in no shot and a change of possession. At least with the shot there is the chance the goalie misses it, and there’s a chance at a rebound.

I’m not saying to shoot everytime, but sometimes you have to be a little more greedy.

• 123456 says:

There is a fine balance of course – remember the 3 on 1 where PK was trailing and received the puck. I was hoping he would dish to his right for an easy goal…. he shot.

In todays hockey very few guys can shoot from 15 feet and score nearly every time – IF (if if) you can complete a cross ice pass the odds of scoring increase immensely.

• Good points, both of you. I don’t know how much shooting is too much, but never is definitely not often enough. : )

• 123456 says:

Optimist – the only bad shot is a shot not taken

• jamman says:

Straight. Had Galchenyuk buried that chance against the jets, we would have had a three goal lead and I wouldnt have been nearly sh*tting myself for the remainder of the game :)

• Wow, quite the quote from that piece:

“on a club that’s been outscored 41-19 so far, he has an even plus-minus.”

35. HUDSONHAB says:

Wow, that’s a scary line up. Maybe some of the dead wood will pick it up. The Blue Jackets are no push over.

36. Ghosts of the Forum says:

The fact that Beaulieau is playing forward in practice and no one is called up is, to me, a pretty good indication that they’re expecting Bourque to be able to go tonight.

37. Alex_425 says:

I’m sure by the time we get those results, he’ll be all healed up and ready to go.

But I’m no expert….

38. von says:

I don’t understand why Bournival is being buried on the 4th line over Moen. And Beaulieu on the wing?

They couldn’t call anybody up from Hamilton?

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

• arcosenate says:

Moen’s actually playing quite well and as a veteran I think Therrien would give him the nod over the rookie.

But I’m an idiot so…

• Danno says:

I agree Moen has played a lot better lately

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
        Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I agree, Moen is having a solid year. But I still like the idea of giving Bournival a shot with more offensively gifted players. He’s shown that he is very defensively responsible (which I agree with MT is priority number one in playing on a line like that), but also has some hands. So does Moen, but he’s using them to different purposes this year ;)

• von says:

I agree with you that Moen has been playing well thus far. My point is more along the lines of giving Bournival a chance to succeed and really show us what he’s got… Not stick him with the plumbers. Then again, it worked for Briere, so I might be an idiot too…

_________________________________

• Timo says:

Maybe Beaulieu will turn into Brent Burns. That dude is a beast.

• HabsProf says:

It is also consistent with MT’s philosophy of bringing on the kids slowly, with lower ice time and reduced responsibilities. Bournival still has only a few games of NHL experience. He’s been good, impressive energy and drive, but MT no doubt does not wish to overload him.

_____________________________________

They brought their f____ing toys with them!

• arcosenate says:

Why the hell didn’t Edmonton trade that first overall pick for a goalie and a high draft pick or a goalie and a d man in 2012?

Everyone knew the last thing they needed was another forward.

What a poorly run team.

• Phil C says:

That would only make sense if Vanek and Miller agreed to sign long term as a condition of the trade. It would not be good if both players walked at the end of the year as UFAs and Yakupov went on to be a super-star.

I like that Murray skated on his own. So far when he skated not on this own he got hurt. Can Habs play without an opponent? Maybe then they’ll stay healthy?

40. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

Fifth!

41. Chuck says:

Hopefully Max can call on those Wolverine-type healing powers.

_______________________