Habs vs. Kings could be a defensive battle

The Canadiens held an optional morning skate Tuesday in Brossard before facing the Los Angeles Kings Tuesday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Brian Gionta, Max Pacioretty, David Desharnais, Travis Moen, Ryan White and P.K. Subban didn’t take part in the optional skate, instead doing off-ice workouts.

George Parros and Douglas Murray were the last two players to leave the ice after the morning skate, meaning they are likely to be healthy scratches. That would mean the forward lines remain the same as they were for Saturday’s 3-2 win over the Buffalo Sabres, with Francis Bouillon taking Murray’s spot beside Raphael Diaz on the blue line. Rene Bourque, who remains sidelined with an upper-body injury, celebrates his 32nd birthday on Tuesday.

The Canadiens and Kings have two of the hottest goalies in the NHL. The Canadiens’ Carey Price ranks fifth in the NHL in goals-against average (1.95) and is tied for second in save percentage (.938), while the Kings’ Ben Scrivens ranks second in GAA (1.56) and first in save percentage (.943). Scrivens took over the No. 1 goalie job in L.A. after Jonathan Quick went down with a groin injury.

However, rookie Martin Jones could get the start in goal for the Kings against the Canadiens. Jones picked up his first NHL shutout in only his second career start Saturday night in a 3-0 win over the New York Islanders. Before being called up by the Kings, the 23-year-old Jones had a 9-2-2 record with a 2.24 GAA and .927 save percentage with the Manchester Monarchs in the AHL.

In their last 14 games, the Canadiens have allowed more than two goals only once while posting an 11-1-2 record. The Canadiens haven’t lost in regulation time since dropping a 1-0 decision to the New York Rangers on Nov. 16. The Kings have gone 15 straight games without allowing more than two goals, posting a 10-1-4 record during that stretch. The Kings have a 6-1-1 road record against Eastern Conference teams this season.

“Los Angeles is a team that I respect a lot,” Canadiens coach Michel Therrien told reporters after the morning skate. “We can’t forget that they won the Cup two years ago, and I give a lot of credit to champions, teams who have gone all the way and won together. They still have the same core as the winning team two years ago, and they’re a very physical team which is good on the forecheck and puts a lot of pressure on its opponents.”

The Kings will be making their first visit to Montreal since Nov. 24, 2010.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Habs vs. Kings preview, NHL.com

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Morning skate interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Battle for ice time drives Habs’ success, by Pat Hickey

Subban’s Olympic stock believed to be rising, TSN.ca

Habs need big-time scorer, Sportsnet.ca

Breaking down Carey Price’s improvement, Sportsnet.ca

Rangers aren’t the same since Brandon Prust bolted, New York Post

Captain Toews or Crosby at Olympics? sportsnet.ca

Budaj unveils his new mask (video), Canadiens.com

Good morning, Montreal, lakings.com

Kings’ Quick talks about recovery from groin injury, lakings.com

Team USA’s projected Sochi roster looks golden, SI.com

1. Ron says:

The NHL video from Shanny on Princess is out. In the narrative Shanny says Princess never tried to let up at all. He also said that Miller was trying to control the puck and was slashed by Clarkson on the back of the legs causing Miller to go down abit and hence the ahole Princess clobbered him. We all know the ref lets Princess away with that illegal hit but they also let Clarkson away with the slash (which was hard enough to buckle his knee forward).

So on the same play the ffing laffs get two gifts with non calls. Watch the video and Shannys description and he says the Clarkson slash. Now why in hell has the league not slapped the officials wrists. This is enough to show the bias for the laffs that most on here bring up. What a farce…

2. Strummer says:

Anyone hear Louis Jean on Hockey Central at noon?

He had some interesting reports on PK Subban.

1. Team Canada is reluctant to commit because he takes too many chances going for the big hit.
    It works on North American rinks but on 200 X 100, players would blow by him.

2. The Hab coaching staff were having difficulty in PK buying into their defensive system- even Bergevin spoke to him.

Finally they asked Price to intervene and PK responded to Price and bought-in.

3. Habs were so unhappy with him that they would have traded him except they would never get value in return, and the fans would have never forgiven them. When he and Therrien were feuding the fans were 80/20 backing PK

December 10 podcast- unfortunatley you can’t fast-forward- it’s about half-way through

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• 1971 says:

Put Markova on team canada. He is a Canadian citizen.

• Phil C says:

When was it that he was feuding with Therrien? This year or last year?

• Steeltown Hab says:

If this was said on air i’m suprised it hasn’t completely blown up. But ya ofcourse the fans would back PK, Therrien had a pre determined opionion and as a coach is always the one who should be expendable.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• habs11s says:

Sounds like some rumors and speculation

The only people who know the relationship between players and other players, players and coaches is the people themselves… the rest is just rumors

_____________________________________________________________

• Old Bald Bird says:

I wonder in what way PK wasn’t buying into the system?

How credible is this journalist? How does he know about Team Canada’s concerns since nobody else has reported this AFAIK?

So, perhaps those who had concerns about a month ago and were dismissed on this site, were right after all?

• mrhabby says:

rumour and speculation are just that…why pay attention because we all want to know some juicey stuff…

• Humungosaur says:

It wasn’t said on air, it was speculated. It was all speculation by Louis Jean, and not reported as fact.

But it doesn’t take much to turn rumor into fact, eh Strummer?

• christophor says:

Just listened to it and I don’t think you’re depicting what Jean said accurately. It was a rather hypothetical discussion about what kind of issues Bergevin and Therrien would face if they were indeed at odds with PK.

There was no point where it was reported that PK was indeed at odds with the staff. Hence why this isn’t news.

• habstrinifan says:

I am so fed up with this ‘saga’.

My very personal opinion is that HABS in the last 3 or 4 years have used certain buzzwords like ‘buy in’, ‘team player’, ‘stick to the system’ and certain players like captain Gionta to parrot these buzzwords which maintain the emphasis on what has been a span of un-enterprising and,(result wise) unfulfilling hockey.

I remember the numerous posters hear who saw Gomez’s very public on ice sneer at P.K for his celebration as ‘right’ and hailed Gomez as a ’cause celebre’ good team guy who was a stalwart of good hockey deportment in the room from whom P.K should learn.

If the ‘HABS’ methods re Hockey had produced fulfilling and successful hockey with a demonstrable improvement in their players I would have bought into the hockey style that those buzzwords seemed to be selling.

Recently after the fans booed what they were seeing (what the team was selling… remember MT kept insisting the team was playing within his guidelines) and the team’s play/energy/fortunes seemed headed for a headlong fall, there were several players-only meetings. One player in particular (Max Pacioretty), while admitting his individual shortcomings, opined “we are too much” on our heels. The game style changed (in my opinion… but read Boone’s assessment of the play against Columbus I think).

In the last few weeks I think a 2 man forecheck has been instituted. And a more aggressive all around game is being played. And very noticeably (again in my opinion), the public calling out of players have diminished. Evident of this were comments from MT where he did not again describe a player he has been coaching for over 12 months as a ‘thoroughbred’ whose wildness must be tamed. He was very specific and intelligent in what was almost a scouting report.

And maybe coincidentally, we have seen no public calling out even after the last two games where P.K has certainly been error prone and hopefully has been given a talking to. Maybe fatigue was a factor(he was absent from today’s practice) but it should not preclude a talking to.

Bottom line is enough of this saga. If HABS management in their ‘professional hockey wisdom’, (which many posters like to use to denigrate posts like mine) are convinced that contrary to the ‘gut instinct’of the fans in the stadium, they have an incorrigible problem in P.K(and are maybe in agreement with Eklund’s McKinnon for P.K scenario) then they should just TRADE HIM and let the chips fall where they may. Put their hockey wisdom to the test.

As a fan of the HABS; as a fan of P.K’s game; as a fan of the flair element of sports; I say stand up and be counted. If MB;MT and all the management in their professional wisdom see P.K as detrimental to their team, then to HELL with the fans… stand up and make the call. TRADE HIM! And end the saga. He will either be a bust and prove them RIGHT or be a revelation they hopefully will learn from.

But the dichotomy will cease to exist and make it easier to be a fan of both the team and the player.

My humble opinion… and yes I agree with you who would tell me that I don’t know what the professionals are paid to know. This is just my unschooled opinion.

I also recognize that a winning streak makes all this moot unless it can be proven what begat the winning.

3. monmick says:

@Bill. Cancel your subsciption and ask for tour ?$&quote money back! $&quote

4. Bill says:

Trini: It’s not a logical certainty that a guy as bad as Ford has to have some good. I mean … it’s likely … no one is all bad I guess. Everyone is a mix of good and bad. It’s just that for most of us, the good outweighs the bad … and I doubt this is the case with Ford.

• habstrinifan says:

True! It’s just that I have decided to side with the millions of Toronto idiots (I lived in Toronto for 33 plus years) who ‘like’ this guy and have shown a willingness to re-elect him next election.

Illogically, I cant despise him while I am counting my blessings he’s not family.

If it were a choice of re-electing Obama or re-electing Ford, I would re-elect Ford. And I was a huge Obama fan.

5. Bill says:

The app definitely has eliminated paragraphing, at least on the iPhone. This cannot stand. Boone! Stu! Call your developer instantly. I want my goddam paragraphs back right goddam now!

6. Bill says:

This app update seems to have lost the ability to separate paragraphs.

I am extremely pissed off about it.

I love paragraphing and I think it is an essential component of clear, intelligent writing.

7. Bill says:

I think it would look outstanding on the part of the NHLPA to majorly beef up the existing fund that supports ex-players on hard times. They should totally reinvent it and start funnelling substantial cash to all retired players over the age of 60.

Not only would it be a generous and moral gesture to players who were taken advantage of under the old NHL system, it would be a low cost public relations coup. They could probably even get the NHL to partner and match funds. Once Gary “Nesferatu” Bettman is retired of course.

I know that I myself, as a fan, would line up to support this move. I would even break my personal moratorium on buying NHL/NHLPA merchandise if I thought it would help the old timers. I’d feel a lot better about supporting this horrendous, dysfunctional league.

8. monmick says:

The upgrade still has display issue$&quote on my phone. Not ?$&quote sure about you guys ?$&quote?

9. krob1000 says:

Interesting stat…Guy Lafleur had fights in each of his 4 seasons…that was the year he broke out and got 119 points…he never fought again.

10. mark-ID says:

Here is an interesting article on goalie coaches. According to this article, they are overrated. Price is the focus/

• HardHabits says:

Once he called the CBC article “trope” he lost me. Another stats junkie who thinks that advanced (read illegible) numbers makes his argument more sound.

The undeniable truth is that Waite’s coaching has impacted Price’s improvement in a major way.

• CH Marshall says:

I suppose the author’s logic is sound and uses stats etc to back his position up. But what he doesn’t (or was loathe to) mention is level of talent and mental capacity. That’s where the graphs and pie charts stop. Between Waite and Carey, I see a master teacher who is challenging Carey to be better. Carey is responding, and his confidence has returned as he plays well. For Waite, I’d like to think that in Carey he finally has the great talented pupil of his career.

11. Habfan10912 says:

Marc Staal has another concussion according to SNY. His career now appears in serious jeopardy.

What’s that HIO app update on my phone? Did anyone use it yet? Any actual improvements?

Montreal presently has 15 signed NHL players for next year. I’m including Drewiske as the 7th Dman and I’m also giving Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Bournival their full bonuses*. I’m also assuming (based on site comments) that Gionta and Diaz walk away to free agency. I’ve also slotted in some possible names/positions just to give the chart some semblance of a realistic team.

Pleks = 5.0
    MaxPac = 4.5
    Briere = 4.0
    DD = 3.5
    Bourque = 3.3
    Galchenyuk = 3.2*
    Prust = 2.5
    Moen = 1.8
    Gallagher = .87*
    Bournival = .87*
    Eller = 3.0
    White = .87
    Depth Forward = .75
    Depth Forward = .65 (34.81M)

Subban = 8.0
    Markov 6.0
    Emelin = 4.1
    Gorges = 3.9
    Beaulieu = .87
    Established veteran = 1.5
    Drewiske = .67 (25.04M)

Price = 6.5
    Budaj = 1.4
    Injury Buffer = 1.0 (8.9M)

Grand Total = $68.75M rounded off for a full 23 man team.

EDIT – I think the difference between my figures and Bill’s might be the bonus money (around 2.6M). In terms of Subban, Markov and Eller, I tried to guesstimate into the middle range.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Briere got 4, DD got 3.5, Eller’s agent’s have easy comparables of players below his value to get minimum 4M, don’t think Eller will be greedy but MTL will be happy to sign up 4-5 years at 4 million.
      ———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• shiram says:

Brière is not a comparable as he was a UFA signing.
        DD brings more offense than Eller, usually, so unless Eller turns it on this season, that’s not a comparable.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Desharnais struggles to have a neutral impact when he plays without the 2 top wingers on the team. Maybe his offense is close to Ellers, everything else is really far off.

You don’t think Plekanec’s 2-way ability played into his 5 M deal?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• shiram says:

Probably, but the 70 points season he had before signing that deal must have had a bigger impact, that and his constant scoring of 20+ goals per season.;

14. Bill says:

Boychuck playing tonight? Dr. Recchi is shaking his head.

I’m glad he’s ok … I really am … but this turns out to be a non-issue.

Whooeee… the licking I took from Burlington. That will teach me.

What are Habs going to do when Drewiske comes back?

16. SteverenO says:

It would be nice if some of this additional cap room was put aside for a fund for ex players who are struggling with Post concussion symptoms or those that are just having financial difficulties.
    If each team set aside 1% of their cap space it could go along way to helping former NHLers who played in era where the pay was not so great.

Personally,I don,t believe that today’s players salaries are in need of increasing. In fact I woulds vote for a decreasing salary cap combined with a reduction in ticket prices. t would force the teams to be smarter,and pevent teams from “stocking up” at the trade deadline.

The number of moves at the deadline, and this new category of player the “rental player” does not make for a better sport, in my opinion.

regards,

Steve O.

• Luke says:

Or, if the players association set aside a % of its 50% to support it’s own members.

I’m more inclined to think that the Saku Koivu’s and Jordan Eberle’s should be the one’s chipping in to help a guy who played in the 50s, who earns about $1,000/month in NHL pension, afford new glasses or medication.

(PS: those are two player’s I think are brilliant and quite charitable, I’m just using them as an example of guys who I am NOT picking on character-wise).

17. filincal says:

Is it just me or does it look like Thorton gives Orpik an elbow/forearm with one of his three blows. I think it’s the first or second one…

18. Bill says:

PK closing the gap on Markov in the poll … I voted PK myself.

19. Bill says:

Oh, and also I think Diaz is a good player, but we have to start working some of the prospects in. Beaulieu is not ideal on the right side, but if it’s Pateryn instead it’s a wash financially.

There’s just no room for Gionta unless he takes a pay cut, which is always possible I guess. I don’t think he’s the most attractive UFA based on age, size, and general numbers. He’s a good two-way guy and captain of the team … maybe he could be signed for four million unless another team is feeling crazy.

20. Steeltown Hab says:

I’ll make a wager with anyone that Eller gets more than 3.5M which a lot are suggesting.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• shiram says:

Based on what?
      He’s got a good 2-way skills, and decent offense, but nothing extraordinary.
      It might be a short deal, but I doubt he breaks the bank and gets a cap hit higher than 4 millions.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Wouldn’t call 4 Million breaking the bank, 2-way skills, offense, being a really valuable cog in the top 9, we lose him or Pleks and the team takes a serious hit.
        ———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• shiram says:

His offense is streaky at best, it will be interesting to see how he does with a full season, as last one he was really hot or really cold.
          I agree he is an important part of the team, but I don’t see the justification for him getting 4 millions.

21. Bill says:

24: my numbers take us to 67 million with one forward left according to capgeek. I’m on my phone, but I’ll check it on the computer when I get home.

So if your the Penguins, you make sure Orpik stays away from the public for a few days to ensure a higher suspension for Thornton? In other words no movie theatres with his Blackberry with him?

23. Bill says:

Eddie, you’re probably right about Eller. And Murray might get more like 2 million. So I guess we are looking at more like 4 million leftover for a RW.

24. shiram says:

I am wondering how the commentariat feels about the goalie equipement modifications that were made this season.
    It seems to me it has had little effect on goal scoring, if any at all.
    Was it too small a measure to have any significant effect?

25. Mattyleg says:

Got a question for yez all:

What was wrong with what Thornton did?

The league allows fighting.
    Thornton fought Orpik.
    He tried to fight him once, and Orpik skated away from him.
    Then, later, Thornton went to fight him, and Orpik didn’t fight back; he didn’t even try to defend himself.

Surely the problem is with Orpik and not Thornton; the latter was working within what is tolerated in the game, while the former didn’t take the proper precautions. Thronton was trying to fight, which isn’t a suspendable offense, but because Orpik decides not to fight, Thornton’s actions are suddenly horrific?

If a player decides to play with no gloves on, and ends up with badly broken fingers after getting slashed, does that mean that the player who did the slashing gets suspended?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

Hee hee hee. You been listening to Boston Sports Radio again? ;)

• bwoar says:

I dunno how to answer this, but has Nilan smartened up yet? Some reliable source told me he was a bit of a dunce, if you know what I mean.

“thoroughbred”

• krob1000 says:

I’ll take the bait Matty. He hit a defesneless player…ahppens all the time…Habs own Ryan White had two way worse incidents last season…but no injury resulted so no punishment. Orpik shuld have been challenged by someone else like Campbell or someone who isn’t an elite fighter (from Pens persepctive). From Bruins perspective..that is what Thronton is there for. There is no right answer in an incident two sides want oppostie outcomes in.

Thornton could hit 500 different players that hard incldung 100 Orpik’s and he likely doesn’t knock him out…BUT…and this is the BUT…..he hit a defenseless person…yes it happens all the time but he hurt him. Now it is a different story completely. IF the guy Phaneuf hit ended up getting carried out ona tretcher he gets more games. If the other incidents in taht game happen is the slash on Kelly a suspension? There are so many things that get factored in that should or shouldn’t depending on who you talk to.

So to be clear as mud in summing it up…no, what Thornton did was not all that bad…but what Thornton did was very bad.

• Mattyleg says:

Exactly, and thanks for taking the time.

This idea that there are ‘elite fighters’ is a moronic and disturbing concept in a game in which fighting is supposed to be an incidental, rare, and organic occurrence.

Add to that this idea that there have to be different ‘weight class’ enforcers, and this is a bad recipe for a sh!t sandwich. Imagine Plekanec being asked to go punch someone in the face for a while (and receive same) because he is of a similar build as the player who cheap-shotted… say, Chucky. You end up with some kind of effed-up WWI “sorry old chum, but it’s you over the top today” kind of situation.

In the old days, if a player got hit hard, or was cheap-shotted, it was up to THEM to set the record straight with that player later on in the game, either by fighting them, or by giving them a similar seeing-to. This concept that your team-mates have to step in and ‘punish’ someone else for hitting you hard is effing nonsense.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• krob1000 says:

Again…not that simple..another clear as mud situation. Back in the day you are correct that is how it was handled…it was superstar sticking up for themelves against superstar. There was also an average height of about 5 ft 10in and a guy was huge if he weighed 185 lbs. There was also far less money being thrown around and owners ran the show. The Flyers changed everything…they literally beat their way to 2 cups. Expansion meant more players…meaning less ultra skilled guys and other avenues in to the league. More money got involved and the business of hockey really started to take off. The players association started to have power and now a player was a player and a vote. To the owners players became assets, valuable ones that made it worth protecting them and attacking other teams assets with cheap yet brutal enforcers.

You also cannot discount the globalization of the game. The game used to as you say have guys sticking up for themselves…but then came the skill era, and a different brand of hockey where the typical NHL style was not the norm for guys coming from overseas. The WHL embraced these skill guys and a more open brand of hockey. At the same time other teams were looking at ways to counter….it really was a convoluted mess and is still being sorted out.
          So to sum it up….everything changed and some things and ideas remained. The number of teams and approaches varied and different teams needed to have lineups capable of handling all of the different approaches being thrown at them. This was the beauty of the late 70’s Habs…poetically rugged and brutally skilled with an elegance in theiir defensive ability…they had it all…they could beat you 1-0, 11-10, beat you 6-5 and beat you up or at least hurt you back…they did everything.

Then came the trap, revolutionary equipment,…and more money, then came new money, the internet, media,etc and you have the shitshow that is before us…I left lots out of course but there is so much going on there that you can see where things have been lost along the way…what was the most important loss…RESPECT…really if you boil that convoluted mess down…you get a one word answer for what is missing…RESPECT.

• Mattyleg says:

You know, I’m half serious about this.

The reason I say it is because it seems, to me, to expose the hypocrisy in the NHL; certain acts of wanton brutality are perfectly acceptable, while other, similar ones, aren’t. No problem with two guys punching each other repeatedly in the face, but if one guy does it to another without the other wanting him to, then that’s a suspendable offence.

What if Chara beats the snot out of someone half his size? Chara vs. Gerbe? Is that punishable? No? What if Gerbe dropped his gloves? What if they fell off his hands?

If Orpik had managed to drop his gloves, would that have been ‘a fight’ rather than a horrible attack?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

26. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Therrien has been a complete dud! 0 goals, 0 assists, and he plays, like, 60 minutes a game! Trade him to anyone for anything.

27. Bill says:

24Cups: I resigned Subban for 8.5, Markov for 7, Murray for 1.5, Eller for 2.5 (bridge), and White for 800,000. I let Diaz walk and replaced him with Beaulieu, leaving Drewiske as 7th man. I kept Bournival and let Gionta walk. I see six million dollars leftover for and the team needs a top-six RW.

• Eddie says:

Eller gets more than 2.5. It will be his 3 rd contract, and he’s on his bridge now.

I tthink Eller gets between 3.5 and 4 million.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Eller easily walks away with 4Million.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Dr.Rex says:

Hopefully PK’s agent is not using Kessel as a negotiation standard.

• 24 Cups says:

Bill – Losing Gionta and Diaz leaves two big holes in the line-up. Eller has already gone through his bridge contract but let’s make him 3.0M for discussion sake. Murray/Beaulieu/Drewiske is a weak bottom three but let’s stay with it in terms of calculating.

Your totals take us to 68.9 M and we still need to sign two depth forwards.
      (45.5 + 8.5 + 7.0 + 1.5 + 3.0 + .8 + .87 + .65 + 1M buffer).

I must be doing something wrong here with my math. I don’t have any money left after filling out the roster. I certainly don’t see any major coin to bring in a sharp shooter up front.

• monmick says:

What about Frankie Boo? How much savings if he walks?

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• galchenyuk27 says:

markov will not be 7 mill common now. What makes everyone think we wont have leblanc or a prospect up by then anyways. Don’t forget we build threw the draft.

28. Mavid says:

ooops..missed the new thread..duh..
    while on the subject of how people dress..Mr. Prust is voted the best dressed Hab…hell ya!..he has my vote..mmmmmmmm

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

29. DipsyDoodler says:

Therrien’s one of the most impressive members of the Canadiens this year. I was worried about him of course when he was hired (“WTF?” was my first post I think) but he is doing a great job.

• Luke says:

No. No he isn’t, Dipsy. I read on here earlier that he’s an awful idiot who is stupid and doesn’t know anything, so…

• Cal says:

Tonight’s game is a measuring crap crap for Therrien.
      Will not dressing Murray, but dressing The Cube give the Habs more trouble?

• Mustang says:

It looks like many of the experts that populate this site have put away their tar & feathers, hanging nooses, and whatever else they were going to use on Therrien and Bergevin 3 or 4 weeks ago. At that time these experts also wanted to trade at least half of the team. It is amazing how people change their minds when the team goes on a winning streak.

• SteverenO says:

while the coach (deservedly) should get some credit for the team’s winning record, a hockey season is a marathon, not a sprint.

he (therrien) makes many questionable decisions, and definitely does not even consider the fact that overplaying certain players will have an impact as the season winds down and in the playoffs.

In terms of getting the players to play “together” and “buy in” to his system Therrien is doing a fantastic job.

Whether the system is sustainable and the best one for this team, is still to be determined.

There si no doubt that his biggest weakness in ice time management, both on the special teams and at even strength.

Markov, Subban,and Gallagher weer all noticeably struggling against Buffalo and they all looked tired— Moen,Prust and White were fresh and were able to make the difference against a weak Sabre team. It is unlikely that that trio will be able to do the same against stronger teams.

Much like a pitch count in baseball, (certain) hockey players need to be handled with an eye to the long haul and playing your best guys till they get hurt or fatigued may not be the best strategy in the long run.

AS I have said before a coach’s performance can NOT be judged by wins and losses- Each decision needs to be evaluated on its own merits- winning coaches can be making lot of bad decisions, and losing coaches may be doing everything right.

If the Habs had Reto Berra, or Devan Dubnyk as their number one goalie what do you think their record would be?

Would that make Therien any better or worse as a coach?

My guess is that a coaches decisions would impact the results of 4 or 5 games per season, at most.

regards,

Steve O.

30. Bill says:

24 Cups: my calculations looked more optimistic: I’ll check it again ..

31. Habfan10912 says:

Re: Thornton

What are the chances that a significant conversation occurred during the Governors Meeting this week?

Choose one.
    1). Owners unite against Jacobs and tell the league this stuff must stop and Thorton gets a season.

2. Jacobs rallies his allies in the league office and Thorton gets 3 games.

3. Bettman congratulates the Bruins and Pens for getting increased TV coverage and encourages the rest of the teams to follow suit.

Just did some very rough, quick cap calculations for next year. I included Galchenyuk’s full bonus package.

Right now the team would stand at 45.5M for 14 signed players. That would leave around 25.5M for the following: five defensemen not named Emelin or Gorges, four forwards and a buffer cushion. The major players who are not signed would be Gionta*, Eller, Subban, Markov and Diaz. Once they are signed, that would leave two depth forwards, a 6th defenseman, one depth Dman and a buffer.

* Or an equivalent player in the same salary range.

Does this seem to make sense? If so, I can’t see having enough money to bring back the players that we already have.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Cups

We’ll probably see some movement between now and then. There are some important millions tied up in some guys such as Bourque and Briere.

I think GIonta’s capspace is already pencilled for PK/Markov to use up. His replacement is going to be something from inside the organization. Any chance Collberg is next years Bournival?

• 24 Cups says:

I seriously doubt it. So far Collberg is off to a slow start. That leaves Thomas and Leblanc. It’s one thing to save a roster spot but quite another to replace a savvy vet who eats up solid minutes and is your captain. I’m starting to think Briere’s second year might be a big mistake.

• krob1000 says:

Insert Setoguchi or someone like him for Gionta and save a million or more and get younger but glose no speed and or effort level. PK signs for 8 worst case I would think. One of or both Briere or Bourque gets moved and there is room. Remember teams can now eat half salary and Bourque’s contract is actually reasonalbe. There is alsothe possiblity the team moves a center….that too would mean cap room possibly. Gorges you have to consider was not an MB signing. It will all work out.
      If you assume Markov gets 6 Eller gets 4 and Diaz gets 3 then there is room for the status quo with a slight tinkering.
      The difference maybe that the teams depth is not guys like BOurque and is back to being kids again…but that could potentially be offset by a number of players beinga year more mature. With the cap increase I am not at all worried.

33. DipsyDoodler says:

“”For the kids that watch this game, I’m truly sorry. I don’t play the game that way. And I’m not a mean-spirited person.” That was Todd Bertuzzi.

He got the rest of the season and so should Thornton.

34. Bill says:

Tough game tonight boys and girls. I don’t think the Habs can afford to dress Parros against this crew.

One break is that the Habs should be playing the rookie back-up. Yes, he has good numbers so far, but the Habs actually do a terrific job of making even excellent goalies look ordinary.

35. Mattyleg says:

Timo: “Therrien’s an idiot.”

Well then, idiot me some more, we’re doing great!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

Matty, enjoy the game tonight!

As for the Murray/Frankie debate, I’d prefer Murray as well but we’re not talking Bobby Orr vs. Drewskue here. These guys are #6 and #7 dman. Nothing to get worked up over.

• ont fan says:

I don’t get this idea that MT is sitting in this room by himself making all these player decisions. surely he speaks to his other coaches or are they just window dressing?

• Mattyleg says:

Have you ever noticed how Gallant goes quiet and blushes whenever Therrien speaks, and Daignault just looks at his shoes silently?

MT exerts a terrifying power over his staff (‘minions’ as he calls them) and his word is law.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. JUST ME says:

I hate that measuring crap crap cause after all every game is one…

But if we are to look forward and figure out what we need to improve if we were to be opposed to a western team in a stanley cup final , tonight`s rendez-vous is a good way to understand the differences between eastern and western hockey. Cause if you look at the statistics, the Kings and the Habs are almost identical so it is on the ice that we can see the difference. Bergevin knows where he is going and also what are the differences but for us, when a western team visits us it`s always new grounds to discover .

These days to be honest i`d rather see the Kings instead of the usual goon squads that we are stuck with in our conference.

37. Psycho29 says:

Everyone is quick to criticize that Murray is out and The Cube is in; but isn’t it possible that there’s a reason?
    Maybe Murray isn’t 100% and they don’t want to publicize it?

38. Say Ash says:

What’s Thornton’s official status? Was he allowed to play the Leafs?

39. Maritime Ronn says:

I think the guy most disappointed with the Phaneuf 2 games suspension… is Phaneuf himself.

I think he wanted MOAR… like 4 games.

He took one look at the schedule coming up – and after another cowardly, Minus – 2 against Boston, said, ” Get me out of here.”
    Los Angeles-@St. Louis-Chicago-@ Pittsburgh.

No doubt his UFA to be bargaining power after those games would have thoroughly decreased once those teams really exposed him.

40. AZ_Hab_Fan says:

Iphone app update is great! Thanks!

41. Sportfan says:

Gord Miller said this on twitter
    In beautiful Montreal for Kings/Canadiens with @rayferrarotsn. Including the ’93 SCF, the Kings have one win in their last 13 games here.

A few years back I was at an afternoon Kings-Habs game I think they won in the shootout, I remember Denis Gauthier Cracked Gorges.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

42. Sportfan says:

Drew Doughty : « Even though it’s a matchup between both teams, in order for us to win, I have to outplay P.K. (Subban). » found that on twitter.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

43. Maritime Ronn says:

“…Francis Bouillon taking Murray’s spot beside Raphael Diaz on the blue line.”
    ————
    I hope you’re right tonight, Coach Therrien…

As 24 Cups mentioned below, this is a big, strong, tough group of 12 forwards.

9 of them are +200 lbs…and if anyone saw that playoff series against St. Louis last year, just hope and pray they don’t play like that tonight.
    Their Bottom 6 are beasts and can play.

Looking at the schedule, the Habs are @ Philly Thursday, then back to back on Saturday-Sunday (@ NYI-vs Florida).

One would figure Bouillon would get 1 of those starts instead of tonight.

Anyhow, here’s hoping Coach T protects them with some offensive zone starts, yet it will still be nail biting time for about the 12-13 minutes of even strength that 3rd pair will play.

• Timo says:

Coach Michael Therrien decided that we had it way too easy for the last 10 games so time to bring the nail biting back. No such thing as watching a Habs team and not wondering WTF.

I just read the article about who might possibly make the USA Olympic team. Names such as Paul Martin, Erik Johnson, Dustin Byfuglien and Jack Johnson are mentioned on the D. Contrast that to PK Subban’s perceived struggle to make Team Canada. Worst case scenario would have Subban second behind Suter if he suited up for the Americans.

Well I can tell it has been two days since we won, Timo has proof Therrien is an idiot…..

46. Mattyleg says:

“Habs vs. Kings could be a defensive battle”
    Of course it will!

I’m going to see the g-d game!

Been to the two home shutouts (Sharks, Rangers) already!
    Why not add a third!
    Why not bring the win streak to an end while I’m in attendance?

Why not?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

47. savethepuck says:

Not sure if posted here yet, but Martin Jones first off the ice for the Kings and most likely the starter. I was hoping the Habs would fill the net on Scivezina, but I guess I’ll just have to be happy with a win.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

48. habstrinifan says:

My biggest HABS beef right now is Prust. I wish to see him give up fighting. I think Prust Moen White with Bournival the catalyst is a formidable group… if Prust doesn’t feel the urge to fight every game or so. Five games no fighting… see how it works out.

• habstrinifan says:

I think his injuries are sending him a message. Also I believe that the HABS are finally building a group of tough gritty ‘regulars’ in the mold of the Tremblays/McPhee/Jarvis/Gainey elements. Tough hockey with surprising contribution every now and then.

Moen Prust White and yes Bournival and sometimes Bourque can interchange to be that effective set of gritty regulars. Push people around but no need to be ‘fighters’. They will be needed in the playoffs and will have to be properly integrated into the everyday lineup.

• shiram says:

He does seem to fight alot, and with the shoulder injury you have to feel it can’t be good.
      But he was brought in to bring that element to the Habs.

• Steven says:

Knowing our fans, the moment he stops fighting, we’d be all over him, especially if he isn’t putting up points, which, considering his career, he probably won’t in large amounts.

• Sportfan says:

Like Emelin, Markov, Price and Subban its very hard to replace Prust and if he goes down before the playoffs that will hurt this team a lot.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

49. Phil C says:

I don’t mind Bouillon in for Murray. Diaz and Murray have not been great against a forecheck, Murray is just too slow to give proper puck support. Diaz and Bouillon will defeat the forecheck with puck movement and mobility more often than not. It will just get ugly the few times the Kings catch them and get the puck.

Murray has exceeded expectations and fulfills a need on the team for more toughness, but he is still a #6 guy. He still hasn’t been on the ice for a goal yet this year in 15 games.

• Timo says:

If you think Diaz Murray haven’t been great, just sit and wait to see how Diaz Bouillon will do. How quickly we forget.

• Phil C says:

He hasn’t been great with Diaz, but he hasn’t been awful either. -1 in four games, with 2-1-1 record, and the loss was 1-0. It’s not like the Habs are choosing between Larry Robinson and Patrick Traverse here. After spending some time in the pressbox, maybe he has more sandpaper in his game.

• Timo says:

It’s just that Murray has been very solid and was in the groove… why break the good thing. It’s not like Bouillon will be any kind of improvement. I just don’t see any kind of logic playing BOuillon tonight. Isles, Panthers, even Devils, sure… But big aggressive team like LA makes not sense.

50. Arnou Ruelle says:

I was listening at TSN 690 and the guest was Jacques Demers. I have lots of respect for the guy and i like what Tony Marinaro and Randy Tieman did. They are right, Demers should still be given credit as coach.

20 years later and a first game for the 2013-2014 Habs vs. Kings, can’t wait to see what both teams will bring at the Bell Centre.

51. Pooka says:

Reading an article about how the Rangers miss Prust, this popped into my head. Would a trade Prust for McDonagh make sense?

52. Sportfan says:

2 games for Phaneuf two stinking games, I don’t care if he hasn’t been suspended before that is absolute bs basing it off of whether he has been suspended or not.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

53. Ron says:

Hahaha that was it although I used a couple fill ins for the i and c. But you spell it full out and its comes through hahaha what a site. :D

… and it’s official.

Therrien is an idiot. I can’t wait to see Bouillon-Diaz duo again watching forwards blow by them. Should be a great game.

• shiram says:

Hey at least Bournival is playing in the top 9

• Timo says:

At least 12 minutes of this game will be entirely spent in the Habs zone with very little effort on LA’s part. When are these Bouillon/Briere/DD experiments going to end?

• shiram says:

Both Brière and DD can be used effectively, and have proven so with their recent play.

• Timo says:

I guess you can call it “effective” comparing it to their earlier play. I would much rather Habs did without them, as well as another midget Franky Boo. Murray has been steady as a rock and with his presence even Diaz sucked a lot less. Now Habs are effectively reduced to 2 NHL defensive pairing.

• shiram says:

I can’t argue with that, but that’s the players the team has, so they are bound to play.
            I’d have Murray in over Bouillon too, but I’m willing to give the Cube some leeway, this is likely his last season anyways.

• zephyr says:

I wonder if the habs will trade murray at some point. I think we’re going to see at least 1 of tinordi/pateryn/beaulieu with the big club later this season. bouillon is a ufa too but I see him as a depth guy only. they can get something for murray b4 he gets replaced by tinordi. i lean towards tinordi/pateryn because they’re more physical. I think beaulieu can replace diaz next yr.. diaz is too soft & is gonna get eaten alive in the playoffs.

• Psycho29 says:

You say that every game. So nothing new there…It must pi$$ you off to no end that this team is doing so well.

Therrien is 48-23-8 as Habs coach this time around and 9-0-1 in his last 10 games.

So I think it’s safe to say he knows a lot more about hockey than anybody on this site does.

55. Cal says:

It’s hysterical how TSN calls Phaneuf the laffs top Dman. How sad is that? PhakkingUseless as your top guy! I guess that’s why there are ledges on high buildings, right?

Are you kidding me? Murray out against big boys like the Kings? Therrien will never cease to be my favorite coach.

• zephyr says:

agreed. don’t mind mt so much but murray needs to play. without him we’re going to see bouillon & diaz unable to win any board battles & the kings will keep it in our zone forever.

• habstrinifan says:

Gotta admit I don’t like Murray out. I think he is playing like a #3/#4 D but then again can’t say Therrien hasn’t made successful line moves for the most part … lately.

Strange though he says the merit system is the way now and he takes out Murray who has done very well lately.

• Sportfan says:

I think MT is like Eklund he spins a wheel to see which D man should play that night

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Yah that is a fair comparison… sigh…

• Timo says:

Would you care to enlighten us with a more logical explanation?

No point in me telling you, you have your mind made up. Similar to talking to a wall.

Edit: And for what its worth, you can see from my post earlier, I do wish Murray was playing, but you can’t tell the difference between questioning a coaches decision and comparing it to some twerp sitting in a basement making up trade rumours.

• Timo says:

I know… I am a lost cause but other people might be wondering as well. Not everyone can see the wisdom of Therrien’s moves.

I will post one more time, hoping you can actually have a discussion regarding it. My point is that MT has done an effective job coaching this team this season, therefore he has the right to make some choices even if we don’t agree with him, before we resort to calling him Eklund or an idiot.

Personally, the only thing I can think of is that Bouillon will be needed down the stretch and therefore needs some action on occasion and perhaps MT is worried that he is losing Frankie, per se. Such that he needs to get him in a game sooner than later. Also, we don’t know if Murray is a little nicked up, or perhaps when you watched all those San Jose vs. L.A. Kings games you noticed that Murray struggled against the Kings.

I am as big a supporter of Murray as anyone, and I still have reservations about MT as a coach long term, but at some point you have to give him his credit and let him make some choices (given the success) before jumping off on tangents.

57. shiram says:

I’m still longing for a high scoring game, but I don’t think tonight is shaping up to be that game.
    Oh well, should be interesting nonetheless.
    Habs are in the tick of things for the conference lead afterall.

58. WindsorHab-10 says:

Against a tough big team like LA, I’d like to see Murray in & Bouillion out.

59. Cdubya says:

Anyone want to bet that regardless of the score tonight, that PK outplays Doughty?? I think he will

60. CHicoHab says:

Finally this app updated. No more of this crap £#*&@&.

61. Ron says:

Princess gets a 2 game suspension for his hit on Miller. Finally got the jerk.

62. frontenac1 says:

“Here Come Da Judge!” Thornton to have his”meeting” Friday Morning. Reports.

63. Sportfan says:

This will be a very interesting match up! I’m thinking it will be a 3-2 game.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

One main difference between these two teams is size – the Kings only have one player under 6′ and that’s 5’11” Mike Richards. Even their new goalie, Martin Jones, is 6’4″. Half their starting line-up is 6’2″ or more. Contrast that to Montreal who has 8 players under 6’. The only goon on the LA team is Carcillo. All the other guys can take a regular shift and not hurt the team while they are on the ice.

Tyler Toffoli is the player to watch. He’s only 21 but is already starting to make his mark. This guy is a pure hockey talent who scores goals at every level. He was drafted in the second round (47th) in 2010, the year Montréal traded their 2nd rounder for Robert Lang. Two fifty goal seasons in the OHL and then rookie of the year last season in the AHL. So far this year his stats are 16/7/5/12/4GWG. He plays on a line with Vey and Richards and wears #73. This guy will be a major upgrade on Penner or Gagne by the time April rolls around.

LA’s new goalie is Martin Jones. He has only played two games but so far is 2-0/0.97/.955. Jones had a shutout last game so it will be interesting to see if he gets the nod over Scrivens.

I’d rank LA behind Chicago as the #2 seed in the West. I still think they are ahead of St Louis, San Jose and Anaheim. Add Pittsburgh, Boston and Montreal and you basically have the eight teams that stand a legit chance of going to the Cup final.

• Dust says:

Carcillo can take a regular shift and not hurt you.

• The_Truth says:

With all due respect to our team, I wouldn’t include them in that group. Still a lot to prove to be considered a legit Stanley Cup Finalist. If the Habs are there then I would add at least half a dozen other teams.

• 24 Cups says:

I did think twice about including them but then decided to go ahead. My thinking was along these lines. Someone from the East has to advance. Pittsburgh and Boston are the “logical” choices but there just might be a chance that another team beats one of them in the semi-finals. Goaltending would probably be the deciding factor which leads to the chance that Carey Price stands on his head and wins that series. Maybe Lindqvist should also be mentioned.

The West is different in that any other team is going to have to come up with two upsets to advance.

• bwoar says:

Toffoli looks like good hockey pool material for next year, he’s as ‘can’t miss’ as they come at his talent level. Nearly made the team out of camp this year. Probably scores tonight in fact.

“thoroughbred”

65. Stevie.Ray says:

Every now and then I remember New York traded Neiderretier for Clutterbuck and i get angry

66. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Lucky number 14!

67. veryhabby says:

Is Quick still injured? Cause if he is, and since Scrivens playing his old team tomorrow night…maybe habs play vrs the 2nd backup (whoever that is).

Apparently Budja got a new mask. Haven’t seen a pix yet, hope no cartoon on it..or no Simpson cartoon lol!

68. habnonymous1 says:

Contest: prize includes trip for 4 to Montreal + hockey tix.

More details here:

My bags are already packed but you might win too.

69. Ron says:

Hickey says that Parros and Murray look like the odd men out for tonights game..

• krob1000 says:

Carcillo and Clifford…both guys that Prust should be able to ahng in there with..or Moen for that matter.

Don’t understand the Murray decision, given how familiar he is with the L.A. Kings from his time in San Jose. However, I suppose he wants to keep Frankie B. interested and he does need to get some games in… just wish it was another game.

• Ron says:

Were in Philly Thursday night so I think he needs to play in that game for sure. Giving Boo a game tonight will get Crank a little more rest if needed. I myself think Dougie should play most games. Love what he brings to the team..

• Timo says:

Are you questioning Michael Therrien’s wisdom? You should have learned by now that Michael Therrien doesn’t make bad decisions. Everything he does is done for a specific purpose and that purpose is to keep Habs on their winning ways. Sheesh!

• Ferguson-22 says:

Right! Because half the LA lineup is 6’2″ or more!!! I hope one of them (Murray) does play…

70. gmoan says:

I don’t think Bournival deserves the demotion…

71. joeybarrie says:

As it always frustrates me to see people bashing our players when they are deemed to be under performing. I decided to look this up:
    1. Galchenyuk 23
    2. Briere 27
    3. Plekanec 27
    4. Pacioretty 29
    5. Gallagher 30
    6. Eller 32
    7. PK Subban 32
    8. Gionta 34
    9. Markov 42
    10. Prust 43
    11. Desharnais 46
    12. Bourque 53
    13. Diaz 61
    14. Emelin 66

This represents how many minutes on the ice each player plays and registers a point.
    So Galchenyuk leads our team with a point every 23 seconds.
    Look who is number 2………

It just frustrates me when we bash our own and make things worse based on nonsense.
    So next time just consider this, how well would certain players be doing if they got 18-20 minutes of ice time?

• Max_a_million says:

Nice illustration. I was kind of alluding to that in my comment, but this makes it much more clear. Bravo

I think his goals haven’t been pretty enough either … scoring a goal is scoring a goal non?

• krob1000 says:

every 23 minutes

• 24 Cups says:

This is basically a misleading stat. I only say that based on zone starts, line-up matches and special teams.

The real telling stat is that Briere has only been getting limited minutes with very few starts in his own end. Conversely, that also skews the data on a player such as Plekanec.

• Strummer says:

Points aside, we’re paying $4 million a year for a smallish-over-the-hill-12- minute- player.

Also- is this data for TOI? What’s his icetime/point at even strength?

Some players don’t see PP time
      ______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• 24 Cups says:

Exactly. I’m sure that MB could have signed him in the 2.0-2.5M range. Maybe even for just one year.

Briere is here for two reasons – he’s French-Canadien and he has a history of coming up big in the playoffs. To be fair, signing him in July might eventually save having to give up a 1st or 2nd rounder in February. Time will tell and I would certainly love to eat crow if he has a stellar playoff.

72. Max_a_million says:

I love the Larry Brooks article on the loss of Brandon Prust.

Like the comment that Travis Moen is the kind of player who is great on a wining team, not so useful on a team that is behind.

Briere is putting goals in given his time on ice, and not causing problems when he plays little. This is helpful, and it doesn’t matter if the goals are coming off of his butt.

I’m ready to see Galchenyuk on the first like with … We could take a step up with two killer lines working here soon. As crazy as it was to break up Eller, Gallgaher, Galchenyuk, it could result in 2 and maybe three strong lines injected with youth. I think Eller, Bournival, and Briere could be good too

73. Edman says:

2 firsts since signing up a year ago. I’m like the Jonathan Toews of HIO

-Follow Me @EddieThoughts

• Max_a_million says:

I have a lot more than two, and I never even try. I don’t get the clamoring for such a thing. Seems like ‘first’ isn’t even a real comment. I don’t begrudge you if it makes you happy, please be happy. I just don’t get it.

• Edman says:

lol clearly you don’t get the joke of it.

I don’t try either man. I’m only on at certain times.

Sounds like SOMEONE is a little cranky

-Follow Me @EddieThoughts

• Max_a_million says:

No not even a little, really just inquisitive. Unfortunately written word doesn’t convey such a thing.
          Everyone writes the ‘first’ business. it’s good that it makes people happy to be first, just confuses me.

• habsguru says:

congrats on first, struck it twice in a row once. good times. kinda like when the light turns green as you get to the intersection, or you lay the first tracks on a fresh ski slope in the morning

• montreal ace says:

Morning Edman and congrats on being first