Habs vs. Bruins will start Thursday night

The Eastern Conference semifinal series between the Canadiens and Bruins will start Thursday night in Boston.

RDS reported the entire series schedule on its website on Tuesday afternoon, including the 7:30 p.m. start Thursday for Game 1, and the NHL confirmed the Thursday start on its website Tuesday night. The NHL said the entire schedule would be set on Wednesday.

Here’s the entire series schedule that RDS, which televises all the Habs games, posted on its website:

Game 1: Thursday May 1 at Boston, 7:30 p.m.

Game 2: Saturday, May 3 at Boston, 12:30 p.m.

Game 3: Tuesday, May 6 at Montreal, 7 p.m.

Game 4: Thursday, May 8 at Montreal, 7 p.m.

Game 5 (if necessary): Saturday, May 10 at Boston, TBD

Game 6 (if necessary): Monday, May 12, at Montreal, 7 p.m.

Game 7 (if necessary): Wednesday, May 14, at Boston, TBD

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Series Preview, NHL.com

Habs looking for momentum on power play, montrealgazette.com

Subban ready to take heat in Boston, montrealgazette.com

Lucic, Gallagher shelve Vancouver bond for playoff warfare, Vancouver Province

Bruins’ Hamilton becoming more consistent, montrealgazette.com

Bruins’ Paille could return against Habs, NHL.com

Krejci, linemates focus on coming up big for Bruins, NHL.com

Gallagher rises to occasion, Canadiens.com

Chiarelli’s Bruins stronger than ever, Boston Herald

Chara shines for Bruins without ‘sexy stats,’ Boston Globe

The matchup: Montreal vs. Boston, Canadiens.com

1. BriPro says:

Maritime Ron’s post regarding the Boston Herald’s article on our Habs forced me to google and read it.

These two teams are as similar as the cities they represent. Boston for a long time, has been considered Montreal’s sister city. And at risk of public effigy, I have to say that I love that city. It does in fact remind me of ours.

That being said, you could almost take that article and replace the names, and the hatred would cross-dock.

Quote 1: “It’s just one of those teams that you want to hit.” ….author? The rat! Potential author…. anyone on either team.

Quote 2: Do (they) try to goad (our team) into penalties? Boychuk, but again, it could have been anybody.

Quote 3: “Another carryover from that (X) game, for (such and such), is the knowledge that (opponent) can be a dangerous foe. Not merely a cheap-shot hitter like, for instance, Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik, but dangerous — a guy who may be trying deliberately to hurt people. …..

Are they talking about Chara on Max? Lucic on Emelin?
    Nope. Emelin on Lucic.

From Goons (Chara, Lucic) to cheap-shot artists (March…rat), both sides are calling out the other. And as PK likes to put it, “at the end of the day…..”
    all I want to do is stand in front of my flat screen doing the hoola while Chara is weeping, and turned my back to him to show him the moon.

That in itself will be like a mini Stanley, for me.

2. Gazza Strip says:

Have enjoyed reading many of the predictions, love and hate for both of the teams. I really think it comes down to this. If the Hab can get the power play to score at 20% or thereabouts when the Bruins take their cheap shots, we will have a good chance to take the series. If they are able to use their size and or dirty play without consequence on the score sheet, we probably will not.
    That being said, all I really am hoping for is a great series.
    Go Habs Go.

3. Ozmodiar says:

… something something dark side …

4. bwoar says:

@ffenliv

Downtown @ the Shark Club or Tavern United have decent grub and are centrally located. I don’t like drinking downtown much as I live way out on the western edge of the city and don’t drive in that case.

If you stay at the Hojo at 3740 Portage Ave, the bar there is nice place to watch too: http://hattrickswinnipeg.com/

The BP’s at 2517 Portage is decent if you like their food.

Avoid Legends @ 2727 Portage, too many VLTS in the same space as the seating.

The Fox and Hounds Tavern at the St. James Hotel on Portage has beer specials each night there’s playoff games, and decent food.

• ffenliv says:

Thanks for the tips.

Beer specials don’t do much for me, as I don’t drink. I just really want a decent atmosphere, and a good place of chicken fingers (a delicacy I cannot afford in Nunavut!)

I’ve got a whole 24 hours yet to make up my mind. Too. Many. Choices.

• Ozmodiar says:

coolest!!!

• Forum Dog says:

Sounds like Therrien is committed to throwing him right back in there, which is a good thing IMO. It’ll be interesting to see who he displaces though. If Bourque continues to play hard, aggressive hockey, it will be tough to take him out of the lineup. Galchenyuk would likely assume Prust’s spot with Plekanec and Gallagher, meaning that it would be one of Moen/Briere/Weise that sits? I guess they have options, which never hurts….

5. Prop says:

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs 2m
    Those asking whether #Habs Price was injured in practice today: No. He spoke to the media for a long stretch afterward #HabsIO #Bruins

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

6. Rad says:

Here’s a piece on the Black Aces, in case anyone hasn’t seen it yet:

7. Mr_MacDougall says:

A note on the Emelin hip check on Lucic:

The view we are shown over and over is the camera angle where we see Licic face on, the hit looks like it could be low because our view is slightly obstructed.

There is another angle that is shot from behind Lucic where it is absolutely visible that the hit was not low, and in fact, just below Lucic hip..

I have no idea why the view that suggests the hit was low is e one we’ve been shown time and time again.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• krob1000 says:

You have had your position in the Wiserhood temporarliy suspended until you ask yourself that question again and come up with the answer. Don’t worry though …your suspension will at worst be temporary as about 5 minutes into the pregame broadcast it will again become obvious to you.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s Lucic Philosophy: I think I can fight Alexei Emelin and win, so I want him to face me man-to-man, head-on, not with one of those tricky skating checks. But if it’s someone I can’t take straight up, someone like George Laraque or Chris Neil, then that face-to-face, mano a mano stuff, not so much.

Hip check=chicken.

Spearing someone in the nuts from behind=not chicken.

8. DipsyDoodler says:

UCE – now I loathe the Bruins organization and fans as much as any ethical sentient being, but you’re being a bit unfair to suggest that they will win because of lax refereeing.

They have a damn good team, with three dangerous attacking lines, a great 4th line, and the best goalie in the league. Their powerplay and penalty kill are both superb.

The filth that cheer them on have a good team to support this year.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Hobie says:

They’ve had a good team to support the past 3-4 years, unfortunately.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I did focus on the refereeing angle, but I thought I allowed that the Bruins are a better team on paper, offhand, by saying the Canadiens were underdogs. But I wasn’t going to dwell on that, I don’t have use for an emetic this morning.

• Old Bald Bird says:

They are an excellent team that is built for a certain style — a style that continually crosses the line, which the league endorses.

9. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Not worthy.

10. bwoar says:

PROTIP: The Boston Herald Sucks.
    If you must read about the B’s, stick to the Globe.

I love the 11:30 am Saturday (CST) start. Make breakfast, drink whiskey, watch hockey. Perfect, plus I’ll the entire evening to celebrate the win or go do something to take the mind off Game 2.

Who was it yesterday, Golden Seal I think, who said most people still have hangovers at 12:30? C’mon down for some bacon/eggs/single malt. It ain’t a hangover if it doesn’t last until the next morning.

Here’s a classic from Bondo explaining:

11. krob1000 says:

Just admiring Jagrs career stats…considering the era he played in for most of his career, the fact he went through all of the lockouts and the fact he spent several years in the KHL…..it is safe to say that after Wayne and Mario he is the most gifted offensive player to play the game IMO. He should have easily been over the 2000 point barrier by now…only Wayne has crossed that (he nearly got 3000)

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Wayne did get 3,000

I have no clue why playoff stats are excluded from career number.. Especially when most agree that Playoffs are where legends are born.

3239 career points including playoffs.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• krob1000 says:

I see your point but like to keep them as separate….I look at a wasted talent like Marcel Dionne to see why. 5th on all time scoring list, played 1348 games…but was stuck in a crappy organization and only played 49 career playoff games.

• BJ says:

Too bad Sam Pollock could not get both Lafleur and Dionne. I spoke to a scout from that era (can’t think of his name right now) and he told they tried but Detroit and later LA wouldn’t go for it.

12. RockinRey says:

Gut says it goes the distance and Habs prevail. But you heard it here first. Heart says Habs in 6!!!

——————————————————————————————————
    ‘This organization going forward must set its sights on competing for the game’s ultimate prize every season — and no lesser standard should be accepted.’
    —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

13. RockinRey says:

From TSN
    Interesting to note that P.K. can’t even make the top 3 Pk tandems. Unreal!!!!

Canadiens Practice Lines

PK:3

Prust – Weise
    Murray – Tinordi

——————————————————————————————————
    —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

• Mr_MacDougall says:

PK can, but there is some strategy involved, it is beneficial to have PK fresh for the “push back” shift immediately after a penalty has been killed.. Having PK out with the DD line is great!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Maritime Ronn says:

Agreed
        Giving Subban 4 extra minutes of PK would have him at the 29-30 minute mark.
        That’s too much for his very high energy game, and may possibly hurt the mental concentration aspect of his game

• Hobie says:

Non story. Saving him for 5-5 and PP.

• Adidess says:

I don’t get worked up over it anymore. It’s true that all the top D in the league are used consistently on the PK, and especially in the playoffs. But our PK isn’t bad; PK guys get hurt or injured more frequently; and lately MT has shown he’ll use Subban north of 28 minutes 5-on-5 and PP, if he has to, so…

But I am with you still. I don’t like the fact that if we get a big kill late in games, Subban has not been put in this situation all season to be able to be on the ice. Imagine game 7, late kill, you have your Norris D men on the bench while trying to secure a win.

• desertman says:

how about the fact that Gorges isnt on any of the PK units? If hes not killing penalties and blocking shots, what exactly is he doing? lol

14. The_Franchise31 says:

I hate afternoon games!!! Dafuk

15. Old Bald Bird says:

Y’know peeples of the HIO, when somebody opines that the Bruins will win in x games, they are making neither a wish nor a forecast.

I find myself agreeing with the Bruins in 5 group. I will be ecstatic if I am wrong, especially really wrong. I mean really really wrong. :)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey OBB.
      My point is that there may be no point in either forecasting OR opining!

• Mr_MacDougall says:

What leads you to this prediction?

What will be the determining factors? Who scores for the Bruins? Who fails to score for the Habs?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Old Bald Bird says:

I think they are pretty well at their prime in terms of team development, and I don’t think we are. IOW they are just a bit better and that will manifest itself in most games. I think they will be close, but …

I also consider that they beat us in 5 last time after they settled down after the first 2 games, which showed too much concentration on head hunting. I think they’ll be on task from the get go this time.

Besides, I am a bit Boone-ish and am hoping for the hex. :)

• Adidess says:

Exactly, I have seen this a lot as well. Some people like to think of ‘what they want’ and ‘what they expect to happen’ as one and the same. Like you, I am not like that.

Example: I want the weather to be 25 degrees and sunny this afternoon, I really do. But I don’t expect it, because I can read the forecast. It says 7 degrees, sadly.

My heart says Habs in 5. My head fears Bruins in 6. But please don’t call me a hater when we win, because I’ll probably be happier than you… having expected/feared something different -)

Go Team CHanada!

16. Dunboyne Mike says:

With trembling fingertips, UCE, I want to challenge your expertly reasoned pessimism with a strong logical consideration (which can suffice to challenge anyone else’s similarly argued pessimism, too).

It’s this. Your despair is predicated — naturally and logically enough — on how the Bruins have played this year, to the extent that they won the President’s Trophy, and how this team has in fact been growing and improving since 2011. And further, it is based on how the Habs likewise have played, including the Tampa series which, deceptively perhaps, they swept without actually appearing to dominate.

There can be no argument with the data you assemble nor with the probable outcomes you suggest based on that data.

There is a hidden assumption, however, which is that, beginning on Thursday night, both teams will play according to a manner which can be extrapolated in advance based on this data. I say they won’t.

Both teams will tailor their strategies according to the opponent they face, and we will see different hockey from the year so far. We will see wrinkles, surprises and twists. There will be x-factors to do with injuries, media episodes (eg. bulletin board stuff), officiating, league interference, home play/away play, etc. Plus the growth and change that take place during the series on teams which are playing each other and each other only in consecutive games. These are all massive considerations which all but negate the usefulness of comparing how two teams shape up on paper.

For me, this leaves me in an agnostic position: neither looking at the data and concluding ‘Bruins win’, nor giving in to my heart and insisting the Habs will sweep, but rather saying that this is a match-up of two good and very different teams and that it is all to play for. Only time will tell.

If the outcome could be based on data, we could possibly skip the series.

All serious Montreal fans will invest SO much in this emotionally (it’s utterly ridiculous, but we can’t help ourselves). So maybe, UCE, you and others who currently profess despair are sort of taking out psychological insurance policies against the trauma of losing this series.

I say, if predicting the outcome were divining from tea-leaves, the tea has not even been swilled out yet, nor will it be. Forget the tea and watch the games!

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Straight up.

Go Habs GO
      Go Habs GO
      Go Habs GO

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agree with a lot of what you say, but if we’re going to engage in punditry on HIO, it’s more fun to make a guess or take a stand, and see how it turns out.

Sure anything can happen, injuries, bounces, a hot or cold goaltender, but if things develop as they ought to, si la tendence se maintient, the Bruins should win. To equivocate too much, we end up with a horrid ‘time will tell’ post.

For reference sake, in 2012 I had the Canadiens battling to make a playoff spot, and they finished dead last in the conference.

In 2013, I had the Canadiens battling to make a playoff spot, and they finished second overall.

In 2014, I had the Canadiens, wait for it…, battling to make a playoff spot, and they cruised to a 100 points season.

So take my prognostication with a kilo of salt. I hope I’m wrong, I just see the Bruins as a better team, and more fit to survive this twisted environment that the playoffs are, and I take it to a logical conclusion.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Brilliant!
      Loved the term ” Psychological insurance policies.”

• johnnylarue says:

Fine, fine rebuttal, Dunboyne.

My prognosis for this round: “Good always triumphs over evil… except when it doesn’t.”

• JF says:

Excellent piece of writing.

17. shiram says:

Mike Keenan, head coach of Metallurg Magnitogorsk, has won the Gagarin Cup in the KHL.

18. Dust says:

Looking forward to the series.
    Bruins will get away with some cheap stuff
    the habs will also get away with some cheap stuff
    Calls will go against the habs
    Calls will go against the bruins

Can we skip the stupid conspiricy crap. Enjoy the series. It’ll be great games between two bitter rivals.

It’s going to be awesome. i’m gonna love it

19. Maritime Ronn says:

Living proof that the Seinfeld Bizzarro World does exist….. and can be found at the Boston Herald.

Excerpts from today’s story:

“….the despicably villainous P.K. Subban.”

” Marchand said, “they poke at us a bit to try and get us to take penalties…. It’s just one of those teams that you want to hit.”

And the cherry on the Sundae:
    ” ….for Lucic, is the knowledge that Emelin can be a dangerous foe. Not merely a cheap-shot hitter but dangerous — a guy who may be trying deliberately to hurt people.

“Whether (the hit was) fair, legal or whatever you want to call it, if he wasn’t scared he’d stand up and hit me and not go after my knees,” Lucic said following the March 24 meeting. “It just shows how big of a chicken he is that he has to go down like that to take me down. It shows what kind of player he is. And on my end, you’ve got to keep your guard up at all times.”
    —————
    After that, I Googled ” YouTube Lucic dirty hits” and besides Ryan Miller and the new Lucic Weirdo Crotch Cup Fetish, it looks like about a few hours of video viewing.

And not to forget:
    – Empirical studies in both animals and humans have shown an increase in aggression when exposed to anabolic steroids.
    – Misusers of anabolic steroids subjectively report significantly more fights, verbal aggression and violence.
    – In 88 athletes who were using anabolic steroids Pope & Katz (1994) found that aggressive or violent behaviour often accompanied steroid-associated manic or hypomanic episodes.

On the ice, or off the ice such as this Lucic Vancouver allegedly drunken bar fight…a thug is always a thug.

20. shiram says:

So it seems very likely that Therrien will get an extension this summer, I’m wondering about the Bulldogs coaching staff.

Thoughts on replacing Sylvain Lefebvre with Kirk Muller?
    or someone else?

21. Say Ash says:

STOP RIGHT NOW! THIS MUST BE CLICKED ON!

Lunch with the Laker girls at Carls Jr…reaching new levels of awkwardness:

22. ffenliv says:

To any WINNIPEG HIO’ers:

I’m going to be in Winnipeg for game 1. If there are any current or past residents of Winnipeg hanging around here, could you recommend a good spot to watch the game and get some food.

Difficulty: mother will be with me, so no seedy bars.

Has it been announced yet that Chris Lee and Tim Peel will referee all Habs Bruins games?

24. Adidess says:

I really like that this forum isn’t afraid of delving into a wide range of issues, regardless of how closely or loosely linked they are to hockey or even sports.

Can’t wait for the first game of that Boston series on Thursday, I feel optimistic, but no denying I am nervous… In the meantime, thought I’d offer my take on the NBA story of the last few days.

I see many people keep referring to the fact that the conversation was taped without Mr Sterling’s knowledge, as a reason why he should not have to suffer the consequences of being the racist we now know he is.

The fact is, precisely, it is now public knowledge that Mr Sterling, the owner of a sports franchise—a line of business built on diversity, inclusiveness, and great PR, and somebody in position to set hiring practices and codes of conduct for his organization—is a massive racist. It starts and ends there for him, I think. The only appropriate defense would have been: 1. “It is not my voice on the tape”; or 2. “I didn’t say the words in the order you hear them, that tape has been doctored”; or 3. “I was reading lines from a script somebody wrote for an upcoming play on racism, so those are not my personal views”. Apparently, he didn’t use any of these arguments.

I am not insensitive to the view that Mr Sterling had every right to assume he was having a private conversation or that this immoral girlfriend of his was out to get him. But here is why I think in the particular case of this particular public figure, the private conversation and inappropriate taping arguments don’t quite matter.

Taping a conversation one is having with another person without telling him, violates basic principles of decency. Being a racist in 2014 is repugnant and repulsive and violates a fundamental principle of common decency. Now, if looking at these two behaviors you find the taping is equal to or worse than the fact that this entertainment industry businessman is such a massive racist, we don’t have common ground for discussion.

I’ll end with this imperfect analogy. Suppose you drop by your acquaintance’s house for an impromptu visit, and you don’t have the decency to even knock on the door before walking in, that is unquestionably inappropriate. But if you walk in on them to find they are watching inappropriate videos involving minors… that completely flips the decency protocol on its head. I would expect the public outrage and the punishment to focus on the action of the acquaintance, and not you. That person should have no expectation of leniency, no matter how safe he/she should have felt doing this in the privacy of his/her own home.

Now, this is really not a perfect analogy because possession of such material is a crime, whereas holding backward, racist views is not a crime. But remember, Mr Sterling is not going to jail for this. It’s just that the NBA is allowed to refuse to continue to associate with a man who is now publicly revealed as a racist, has had a long history of discriminatory practices, and can only hurt their bottom line going forward.

Go Team CHanada!

I hope Sterling gets all he deserves, I just worry that being the lawyer he is, having gotten away with despicable behaviour in the past, that he finds his way out of this scenario also. His track record as a Landlord should have been enough to get him out of the NBA club, but it didn’t….

• Adidess says:

I see your point. I also think making him sell the franchise could be tough to uphold in court, if Sterling chooses to go that route as he often does.

But what would be the point of keeping the team for Sterling now that he is banned for life (suspensions are the Commissioner’s prerogative)? Sterling owns an NBA team so he can sit courtside and bask in the glory of watching people he pays to play, run up and down the floor and dunk for his pleasure. Not having any contact with them, not being allowed in the locker room or team offices are the worst things that could happen to somebody of his personality and penchants. And, as yesterday showed, there may not be one other owner in his corner, so I don’t know…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yeah, he could choose to be a litigious preck, or he may decide to sell the toy if he can’t play with it, if the other owners are persuasive in their talks with him, and if he thinks it will quell the fury that is being unleashed in his direction.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Thanks Adidess, very well put. I had to turn off Vancouver TEAM 1040 a couple of times this morning, because David Pratt was at it again, twisting himself into knots about what the Clippers’ owner did was not illegal, that he hadn’t broken a law. I shouted at him a couple of times what you more eloquently said.

Having said that, in his taped conversation, he was telling the woman to stop bringing African-American friends to the games, which verges or probably crosses the line on denying access to a person based on race.

• Adidess says:

Yes, UCE, you’re absolutely right on the aspect of potentially denying access on the basis of race.

This is such a clear/strong case of common decency violation, I was willing to concede the argument that Sterling didn’t do anything illegal, primarily because I didn’t need it for my case. Not that I would use it in Sterling’s defense…

Go Team CHanada!

25. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Could our Honey badger be the antidote to the bears ?

26. stevieray says:

Dang !I hear there’s some kind of a horse race on Saturday …not much of a event if you ask me …no cowboy hats, no spurs and no six shooters !…and all them horses are being rode by Smurfs…
    Just look likes a bunch of yuppies to this ole boot …

Hurry up and play hockey

• Hobie says:

I think Oleg petrov is one of the jockeys this year? He gets a bit nervous around the rails and turns cuz it reminds him of the boards and corners. He’s a bit of a soft jockey too. :-(

27. 44har48 says:

I’m betting that’s the schedule and anticipated a Saturday afternoon game. This commissioner thinks the hockey world revolves around the US. He wants Boston / Montreal on NBC as the matinee game of the week. I’m from the US and think he is a dildo. I mean we need another team in Florida or Arizona before you get one in Quebec or anywhere else, your lucky to get Winnipeg back (sarcastic).

EDIT: BTW – I am not sure if I want to watch the Boston/Toronto homers on CBC or the Boston/Philly homers on NBC, they are both about as unprofessional as it gets in sports broadcasting. I won’t even get into that clown Pierre MacGuire with his big blue shoes and red curly hair.

28. mdp2011 says:

Well this is not starting out too well.

martin mcguire ‏@mmcguirehockey 1m
    Price atteint par un tir de Pacioretty…ça semble faire mal !!!! Côté de la mitaine haut du corps ….

Translation: Price hit by a Pacioretty shot, seems like it hurts!!! Glove side upper body.

29. shiram says:

Jagr, Malhotra and Moore named Masterton finalists

30. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Far out thought.
    Can big oil be championing the Canadiens to win the cup ?
    First many people have flags on their cars. Sometime’s as many as 4.
    Each one producing drag and reducing the fuel efficiency of the vehicle. The longer we stay in the playoffs more and more flags will appear, thus a greater amount of gas will be used. It’s in their interest to have us go for Stanley.

Go Habs GO
    Go Habs GO
    Go Habs GO

31. JuventusHab says:

Hi guys, as a Belgian Habs fan I’ve been reading this forum for quite some time now, but this is actually my first post.

Just a question: if the Habs were to beat the Bruins and would match up against the Rangers or Flyers in the third round, who would get the home ice advantage? Is it based on the conference standings or on the playoff seeding?

32. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

To those who are bummed about the expected 12:30 start on Saturday, remember that this is nothing new. I am pretty sure that game 5 of the 2002 series was at 12:30 -1.

Did you have Bill Lindsay in your pool? And who was this Markov kid playing protected minutes?

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• shiram says:

My buddy is PVR’ing it and we’ll watch it a bit later on the afternoon.
      no big deal, the forecast is announcing rain on saturday anyways, might as well enjoy the great rivalry and playoff intensity with some buddies!

Normand!
    Have you been lonely waiting for a game on the west coast, so you could write this book my friend!
    2 things, The refereeing will be a huge factor for sure. And number 2 my friend, is you have been on the west coast a little to long. Have you forgotten about the Ghosts of the Forum being still there.

34. WindsorHab-10 says:

Price and Rask are the ones that will determine who moves forward to the conference finals. We go in as the underdog, play our game, stay disciplined and I like our chances.

• Strummer says:

Secert weapons we didn’t have last year- Waite (by associaton Price), the old Bourqe, new and improved Eller, Vanek and playoff-focussed Briere.
      I like our chances.

______________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• shiram says:

I think the series will be big for our D also, Subban and Markov will have a lot of responsibilities and Emelin needs to be at his best.

He clearly is in Lucic’s head and that can be an advantage.

35. frontenac1 says:

Hola amigos! I have to load up the Buckboard again with provisions from Liquor Store and Beer Store ? It was only 4 games! But it was so long ago, I guess. Afternoon games, evening games, I don’t really care,just change up the cocktails. No problemo. Saludos!

36. Un Canadien errant says:

Now that we have a schedule for the games to be held for the Canadiens vs. the Bruins series, I can’t stall on this any longer, and with a heavy heart have to say that I don’t hold out much hope for our team against the NHL’s preferred team. I think the latter win it convincingly. If we play well, we may stretch the series to six games.

I’m not ignoring that the Canadiens historically have played the Bruins tough, even when the latter were favoured, or that the Canadiens won three out of four games against them this season. I’m just discounting it a little bit. The Bruins can get rattled or lose focus when they see red, or when they see bleu-blanc-rouge, but I have to believe that this veteran team will keep their eye on the ball in this series.

While I enjoyed the series against Tampa Bay that the Canadiens swept, I think that the Canadiens weren’t dominant so much as the Lightning were undone by poor goaltending. Anders Lindback had a .877 save percentage, and Kristers Gudlevskis, in his limited appearances, couldn’t overcome that with a .900 himself. And it wasn’t a case of them being beat by shots or plays they had no chance against, but rather that they appeared weak on many goals. Some shots that went in on them should have been saves, plain and simple, and probably would have been had Ben Bishop been in nets instead.

The Canadiens did what they had to do in the previous series, didn’t trail for more than a few minutes, didn’t lose a game, but that was against a diminished opponent. And it wasn’t a flawless series for the Habs. The top line of Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek didn’t produce as much as we’d have liked. The powerplay underwhelmed, with a success rate of 15%. The penalty kill was uncharacteristically poor, finishing up at 71%.

So now the Canadiens will go up against the Presidents’ Trophy as a decided underdog. And they have a chance, it’s certainly not that I have no faith in my team, but I definitely have no faith at all in the NHL, in its approach to the game and more specifically how it administers the playoffs. I have no faith that the referees will do the job they are entrusted to do, the job that they should do, and this will be all to the advantage of Boston.

Talking heads often say that the refs are ‘letting stuff go’, not injecting themselves in the game, and conclude that this evens out at the end of the game, or certainly at the end of the series. Both teams get away with acts or plays that should have been penalized, both team miss out on powerplay opportunities roughly equally, no one benefits, the refrain goes.

Except that this breaks down when the Bruins play the Canadiens. The tolerance of hooking and obstruction isn’t an equal boon to both teams, but will instead tilt the balance towards the Bruins in helping them contain the Canadiens’ skating and speed. Also, the sudden-onset blindness that strikes referees when confronted with a scrum in front of a goalie will also play in the Bruins’ favour, where they’ll try to run Carey Price and elbow and slash and crosscheck their way to goals. The Bruins do this more, and do it as part of their game plan, as a strategy.

Don Cherry thunders that the refs should ‘let them play’. Well, Let Them Play=Let Them Cheat. The Bruins will get away with more cheating.

Think of it this way. The Bruins commit five times as many infractions as the Canadiens, will slash and rabbit punch and facewash five times as often as the Canadiens, or at least will start these instances five times as often and the Canadiens will have to defend themselves and respond in kind.

So when the refs only call, let’s say 10% of the infractions committed by either team, the Bruins will get away with five times as many instances of cheating that the Canadiens will, and these instances will add up in terms of missed passes, flubbed shots, turnovers, missed clearances, etc. Over the length of the series, this will be a great advantage for the Bruins.

Except it will be worse than that. The Bruins won’t even get five times as many penalties as the Canadiens will. The referees are under pressure to ‘even out’ the penalties to both teams, so one isn’t on the penalty kill an ‘unfair’ amount of time. Which is nonsense really.

In the NFL, there is no such compulsion. A undisciplined, poorly coached, poorly led team, say, for example the Oakland Raiders, is understood and expected by everyone to amass more penalties than your average team. So as the game progresses and the Raiders jump offside, and are caught with twelve or fourteen men on the field, and get a player ejected for throwing punches in a post-whistle melée, and get called for roughing the passer, and their penalty yardage climbs, no one bats an eye.

The commentators will refer to the historic ‘mystique’ of the team, how toughness bordering on dirty play has always been part of their identity, and will mention how their total yardage lost on penalties in this particular game is a big factor in how they’re losing by four touchdowns at this point. No one will squawk that the opponent’s penalty yardage is too low, and that it should be equalized as the game advances. Everyone understands that the opponent is disciplined, well-coached, hasn’t jumped offside repeatedly, hasn’t taken a cheapshot spearing penalty on a downed opposition receiver, that’s why their penalty yardage is correspondingly, logically lower.

The Raiders act tough and try to play tough, but often cross the line and draw proportionately more penalties, and often implode in a maelstrom of stupidity and misdirected aggression, and that ends up on the scoreboard, and that’s a reasonable result that no one moans about.

Compare and contrast with the NHL, where announcers will during a game tell their viewers that one team needs to be extra careful, as they’ve benefited from a couple of powerplays, or worse cashed one in lately. When the red-striped arm goes up and the whistle inevitably blows, they nod and explain that it was destined to happen, that a penalty had to be called to even things out. Nature abhors an unequal penalty tally.

Last season if I recall correctly, a TSN Montreal personality appeared on a call-in show in Boston, where the hosts made the point that the Bruins were targeted by the refs, and that the Canadiens were divers, using as evidence the fact that the Bruins had incurred more penalty minutes and more minor penalties than anyone in the league, whereas the Habs had one of the league’s lowest totals. That was their proof.

In their eyes, the fact that the Habs had comparatively fewer penalties and drew more from the opposition was due to their diving and embellishing, not their speed causing problems for overmatched opponents. In their world, every team should have an equal amount of penalties for and against, regardless of playing style or the presence or absence of Gregory Campbell on their roster. This is what passes for logic when appraising the NHL.

So in our theoretical example above whereby the Bruins will slash and crosscheck and charge five times more than the Canadiens, and the refs let most of it go, it won’t be a proportional show of indulgence. Brad Marchand will eye-gouge P.K. and get a penalty, and later on Zdeno Chara will perform a tonsilectomy with his Warrior AK27 on Brian Gionta and also have to go feel shame for two minutes. Johnny Boychuk will try to unscrew Brendan Gallagher’s head from his neck, as retaliation for the crime of being near the crease and attempting to score, and the Bruins defender will lament his fate as he goes to the box as well, and will be incensed and really let the refs have it when he’s let out early after a Tomas Plekanec powerplay goal.

As the period ends and Sean Thornton pastes Andrei Markov head first into the boards, the refs will waver, wary of the squawking Claude Julien has done regarding Montréal’s propensity to dive or embellish. They’ll consider that the Bruins have already served three penalties, they’re already down a goal, so they’ll look the other way, and consider it a hockey play, certainly no worse than the Brent Seabrook hit. Why inject themselves into the play? Why not let the players decide the outcome of the game?

In the second, Alexei Emelin will slash at Jarome Iginla as he wheels around in the Canadiens’ zone, the refs will let out a big sigh of relief into their whistle and get to work ‘equalizing’ the game.

And that’s how the series will go. The Bruins will play with 10 Bingo cards while we play with our one, and Daddy Campbell will spin the Bingo cage, and Mike Milbury and Don Cherry will call out the numbered balls as they see them.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Ozmodiar says:

I stopped reading here:
      “I don’t hold out much hope for our team against the NHL’s preferred team”

1500 words left unread, sadly.

Habs in 5, BTW.

Your discussion of the reffing, the use of the Raiders was excellent. But I still believe the Habs are gonna win, and oh yah I hate the Bruins, thus my logic!

CHeers Norm!

• frontenac1 says:

Jeeze UCE! You need couple of hours with me in the Saloon. Habs in 6.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ll be cheering with you Front, drinking Greyhounds at 0900 hrs. It will be like watching the Sotchi Gold Medal game, at a more reasonable hour. With delicious Greyhounds.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Classic unpunished Marchand Moment in the Wings series proves your point Normand.

Bruins ice the puck, Marchand skates slowly back to the line and delivers a push in cross check to Datsyuk who is on his side of the line. Datsyuk now has to get back to his position, the linseman weighs in with a bony finger and a warning, there is some discussion and the end result: No penalty to the Bruins and 25 extra seconds of rest.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Un Canadien errant says:

I noticed that one, I think I posted on it. I’ll see if I can find it.

There was a similar moment yesterday after the Mats Zuccarello goal at the end of the game, where Wayne Simmonds tried to break his stick on the Ranger’s back with one of the most obvious crosschecks I’ve seen in a long time. The ref was right there, didn’t raise his arm, just started talking to the Flyer. Literally. It was pathetic. And sure enough, Mr. Simmonds ignored the ref, and jumped on the Ranger and we had a nonsensical scrum in the corner, and the Flyers will get away with it and no one will be suspended. Mr. Simmonds should be in uniform tonight.

So it goes.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Here it is:

Earlier in the day, I tuned in to the Bruins-Red Wings game, hoping for good news, but found that the bad guys were already leading 2-0. As I vacillated between watching this game or enjoying the sunshine outdoors, a play developed in which Pavel Datsyuk raced to the Boston net, checked closely by Designated Rat Brad Marchand. They jostled as they came to a stop, wrestling with their sticks, and Mr. Datsyuk got the better of his adversary, dumping him to the ground. The ref blew his whistle, the play over. Brad Marchand got up, skated to Pavel Datsyuk, and, as the ref watched them, and only them from two metres away, crosschecked Mr. Datsyuk a few times, violently. And the referee kept watching. He didn’t see an infraction in this. A scrum ensued, lots of milling around, and the ref continued watching.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Thanks Normand, I probably saw that in the game but was so jaded with the non-calls that I looked on with glassy eyes!

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• RoofDaddy says:

Funny how when you put forth an entire diatribe on how the Habs will fail, nobody calls you a ‘troll’.

I’ve said the same thing, this team, if it is lucky and Price plays out of his mind, might win one or two games but the Ruins will take it no matter what.

A lot of people here need a reality check and that’s what I was providing in the first round.

Sadly, this season will end again with disappointment but at least we expect it. No technicolour dreams here.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I disagree with your characterization of my post as a diatribe, it’s more of a harangue, really.

• Luke says:

I think the difference is this:

“I think the Habs are in tough this series. Price will have to be at his best, and if the typical Bruins goonery goes unpunished by the refs and the league, well, even with Price at his best, I doubt we can beat them. Bruins in 6. They are a very good, deep team, add to that some… curious… officiating and the top of the league’s officals is their #1 fan. Well I have a hard time seeing this series going the Habs way.”

That is not trolling. That’s discussion.

This is trolling::

“The Habs are useless. They’ll lose in 5. Out coached. Out bigged. OUt played. They suck.”

• habsonly says:

Love your anology of the way the refs and media will play out the games, bang on. Haven’t we seen and heard this play out this way before? I am going to remain optimistic that the habs will overcvome this adversity and prevail in the end..probably 7 games though. Go Habs Go!!

• JF says:

Can’t disagree with much here. Your picture of how the games will unfold is probably pretty accurate. It’s certain that the Bruins will get away with a boatload of dirty and cheating plays and that the officials will try to keep penalty minutes roughly even. However clean the Habs play, we’ll be called for pretty much the same number of fouls as the Bruins.

So in order to win, we’ll have to defeat the referees as well as the Bruins. Not too likely, but it can be done. If you think back to the series against the Penguins in 2010, there were several games, notably Game 4 (among the worst-officiated playoff games I’ve ever seen), in which we accomplished this feat.

I’m not going to predict the series. The Bruins are certainly the favourites, but strange things can happen in the playoffs, as we saw four years ago when we were heavy underdogs to both the Capitals and the Penguins. However, for us to have a chance, pretty well everything will have to go right. We have to stay healthy and we have to get the bounces. Our top line has to light the lamp more, and we’ll need the same contribution from the other lines that we got against Tampa. And, in particular, special teams and goaltending have to be a lot better than they were against the Lightning.

• ont fan says:

I have to agree with your analysis. This scrum stuff after the whistle turns me off. Even the Ranger, Philly game did nothing for me last night. It surprises me the league thinks the casual fan would want to tune in for this kind of crap. Being mugged by the goon teams in the playoffs gets old.

• montreal ace says:

Uce a very interesting and well written post, they are always a pleasure to read

• johnnylarue says:

The bad news: Timo has hijacked UCe’s user account.

The good news: the new Ritalin prescription has done wonders for his ADD.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Never fear johnny, I’m like Alexander Haig, I’m in charge here.

Timo wouldn’t have offered a pessimistic prediction with a heavy heart, he’d have done so with glee, with gusto, and jumped at the chance to take a swipe at Michel Therrien, David Desharnais and Francis Bouillon for the refs corruption and incompetence.

• Donkey Hoat says:

UCE, I agree whole-heartedly with your post; sadly, this is the way playoff games, and regular-season tilts, are handled by the NHL, its referees, and the buffoons who are its loudest cheerleaders.
      One point I do disagree with; you said: “I think that the Canadiens weren’t dominant so much as the Lightning were undone by poor goaltending.”
      I think the poor goaltending was but one result of Montreal’s domination, where even stoppable shots were let in; the Habs were quite relentless in that series, first on the puck, and rarely conceding decent possession time to Tampa.
      I think it’s far-fetched to think the same game plan will yield the same results with the Bruins, but I prefer to start the series optimistically, until the refs and Bruins mess it all up for me. :)

37. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Generally speaking people on here seem to be testy.
    The lucic effect ?
    Reproduction is vital to our society.
    We must end the madness Now!

Go Habs Go
    Go Habs Go
    Go Habs Go

38. RetroMikey says:

I need help, what is the name of the last song and artist before they performed the playoff ceremonies in Montreal in games 3 and 4?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

39. Slackman says:

According to the pioneer press, Minnesota Wild owner Craig Leipold IS willing to spend whatever it takes to get Vane on his team.

• Kooch7800 says:

all hogwash and BS rumours. This was debated yesterday in the boredom of waiting for the next game.

My advice, enjoy Vanek while we have him. Worry about the rest later.

If we don’t get Vanek back next year MB has shown he isn’t afraid of making moves.

Come on Thursday!

40. 24AW says:

I don’t think many is expecting the Habs to beat Boston, I look at it this way whether they do or they don’t we have done better than we did last year and in a few years we should be able to beat them all and bring #25 home.

41. 5wings says:

I cant wait for Thursday..it has been a very long wait for this series.
    all other teams are beating each other up and we are fresh and ready to take out Boston..
    We need a split in Boston for sure which we can make happen..hopefully we ice a big lineup with Crank and maybe Tiny..
    I would play Crank with Weaver they had success against Boston..
    the other pairings PK-Gorges and Marky-Emelin..Tiny may be in game two..try Moen in game one if he struggles bring Whitey in for game two..I like our lineup and health..this is the best team we have iced in a few years, Price is on top now lets strike..

GO HABS GO!!

42. docketrocket says:

To the poster who asked about Habs bars in Manhattan (sorry I can’t find the post now: Try Van Diemens @ 27th and 3rd. And Warren 77 in Tribeca.

43. Maritime Ronn says:

scotland says:
    Anybody else notice how good the young Hamilton, Krug , Berihowski are playing for Boston. Powerplay, pk, reg shift.
    ————
    Young?
    Bartkowski will be 26 years old next month
    Krug is 23 years old.
    Hamilton was a 9th overall pick.

Tinordi turned 22 years old just 2 months ago.
    Beaulieu is only 21.

Hamilton and Krug play 3rd pair protected even strength minutes
    Hamilton and Krug never get a sniff of PK time.
    When Bartkowski plays, he is 2nd unit PK and not 1 second on the PP

Hmmmm interesting facts you present.

• Maritime Ronn says:

And that is the Bruins Achilles heel.

I watched several Bruins games this year and if it wasn’t for probable Vezina winner Rask (.961 playoff SP – .930 season SP) these guys would have been exposed big time.

The other thing with them is that they panic when pressured.
        If no pressure, they do a good job of moving the puck out of the zone.
        A little pressure and they are giveaway machines.

That will be the Habs key

• Strummer says:

Don’t forget also that Chara shows his age in the latter stages of games /series as he has done the last 2 playoffs losing puck battles to quicker forwards.
          Boston D is definately their Achilles heel.

______________________________________________________
          “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi strum

The Leafs did a good job on Chara last year…until the last 10 minutes of Game 7
            Several times, they made sure to dump the puck into the corner of Chara.
            That forced him to skate and pivot.

Instead of backing off, they pressured Chara and Colton Orr and some of the other larger forwards finished their checks.
            He didn’t like that at all.

If you give him time and space, he’ll hurt you.
            We’ll see who has the courage

• Luke says:

If you put the puck in his feet, he has a bit of trouble with it due to his giant wingspan, as well.
            Mind you, you are liable to get a ‘hockey play’ stick in the head if you go after it while it is still in there.

• Phil C says:

I agree Ron. This will be the key to the series for the Habs.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi phil

That’s really the only forced weakness that team has.

• Phil C says:

It’s a big one though. Hard to imagine a team winning the Cup with such a young defense. They are really strong up front and in net though, so who knows, that’s why you play the games. It won’t be easy, but the Habs have a legitimate chance to win.

• Cal says:

Don’t waste your time, Ronn. He is purposefully trying to bait Hab fans. Frankly, I don’t give a flying bleep what he posts.
      Much like many don’t give a flying bleep about what I post.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

He’s an idiot.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Luke says:

I also suppose we shouldn’t mention that all three (well, Hamilton and Krug for certain) have been made healthy scratches this season.

But, when spring hits, construction season begins. Bridges are prime candidates for work, and those who make their lairs under there come scrambling out.

(I do like his unintentional shout out to former Leaf great, Drake Berehowsky, though)

44. third generation haber says:

Just for fun, my dream line-up to take on the bears:

Pacioretty/ DD/ Vanek
    Bourque/ Eller/ Gionta
    Gally./ Pleks/ Prust
    Weise/ Bournival/ Moen

Should a top 9 injury occur, I’d gladly move Bournival up (I believe he’s a top 6 guy) and insert White on the fourth line.

* I don’t care about his contract; I believe we’d be better off without Briere in this series.

Subby/ Gorges
    Marky/ Crank-shaft
    Tinordi/ Murray

* What I want more than anything (possibly more than beating the Bruins) is for one of our 2 big D to beat the F*$^in Sh$te out of Lucic. :-)

j.p. murray

45. Sportfan says:

The Lightning vs Habs series worked out so well schedule wise, the Boston-Habs series suck scheduling wise. Thanks for catering to NBC and not your actually fans NHL.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

46. Luke says:

How enforceable (or realistic) is this Life-Time Ban and Forced Sale?

Is this a giant hammer strike, visible to all, that will be either quietly negotiated, or litigated, into a 2 year ban and perhaps suspension from the BoG (with club representation by another person)?

This reminds me (to a much greater extent) of the NJD being fined and having to forfeit the 1st rounder. Then one dreary day, far removed from the emotion of the situation, when not too many were paying attention and the infraction so old that it no longer had legs, they release a short press release softening the blow with no real discussion to follow.

I am also left to wonder what happens if a player makes bigoted statements in private that are recorded and leaked. Would we see a major suspension?

I think the NBA had to come down hard regardless if they believed they could pull off this penalty. Jason Whitlock of ESPN wrote an interesting piece on this topic.

Watching this story unfold will be very interesting. Sterling has spent his life enjoying being litigious, not sure he is about to change.

• Strummer says:

When did the NBA hire a space alien as it’s commissioner ?

____________________________________________________“You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

Didn’t he remind you of that guy that had the spaceship coming for the arrival of Hale-bopp?

• Strummer says:

He has a fall back career in Hollywood if this NBA gig doesn’t pan out

______________________________________________________
          “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Luke says:

He is uncomfortable to look at, to say the least.
            I expect his neck will eventually buckle.
            And I can’t bear to see it.
            But, I can’t look away.

• Cal says:

This is totally not like the NJD fine and forfeit. Sterling is done. He can’t even go to the stadium to watch “his” team.
      There would have been huge trouble if Silver hadn’t used the nuke on Sterling. Major sponsors needed to see the NBA put the boots to the old bigot.

I’m guessing here, but think Luke is more referencing the concept of coming up with a punishment for something that the league hasn’t dealt with before. It will curious if they can make this judgment stand up in court should Silver choose not to follow the orders of the NBA.

• Luke says:

Yah, Cal, I meant it the comparison in terms of seeing such a heavy penalty at the time of issue and then later, well after the dust has settled, it is quietly lessened.

Right now it seems like Silver has dropped the Nuke. But in a year or so, I wonder if it’ll just be a Daisy Cutter.

(I also like the synergy between the Sterling and Silver names… I mean, c’mon, that’s just awesome)

Yah, found the names created an ironic twist to the whole debacle.

• Cal says:

I don’t think the NBA can let this one go until tarnished Sterling is swept away. The NBA players association would simply strike.

Cal, I could see a scenario where the NBA finds out (behind closed doors with lawyers out the ying yang) they can’t enforce this punishment, at least the selling part. So quietly behind the scenes, the NBA drops the fine (no word to the public) and helps him sell the team for max. money.

The fact a man can lose his near billion dollar business for being a bigot in his home with a bimbo who releases the tape to TMZ just doesn’t sound like a concrete case to work with. The league has known for years what this guy stands for and done nothing about him, in fact how are we to know what conversations are like with him and some other owners or league executives?

47. habs-fan-84 says:

Well at least game 2 doesn’t interfere with my Sunday afternoon band practice(s). Still, 12:30 pm on Saturday is pretty lame!
    What’s with American’s and their matinee games anyway?

48. Dust says:

Ohh it’s RDS reporting the 12:30 start time and no one else. Yeah I’ll wait for official word before getting worked up. RDS likes to report things based on rumours and not wait for official word

• ffenliv says:

I’ve read in other places where people feel they’d take whoever Minny gets if they win tonight, but not if Colorado wins, and put that game in the afternoon slot.

• Strummer says:

That would be Chicago hosting Minny- which would be an 11:30 start local time for the Hawks

____________________________________________________
        “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Maritime Ronn says:

You make a good point
      From the NHL web site

Tuesday, 04.29.2014 / 9:30 PM

NEW YORK – The National Hockey League today announced that the 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs Second Round will begin Thursday, May 1 with a one game slate – Game 1 of the Second Round series between the Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens.

The starting time for Game 1 on Thursday will be 7:30 p.m. ET at TD Garden in Boston. The game will be seen exclusively on NBCSN in the U.S. and on CBC and RDS in Canada.

*** Further information on the 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs Second Round schedule will be released tomorrow (today)

• mdp2011 says:

RDS reports are not based on rumours, they are the official French broadcaster for the NHL. They have been given a tentative schedule for Saturday which can change depending on the outcome of the 3 game 7′s tonight.

49. Phil C says:

My picks: Philly, Minny, LA.

50. Habies says:

Dear all Fans who aren’t happy about the afternoon Game,

We – fans from around the world East of the Atlantic Ocean- have been proudly suffering for about 10 years (cine the internet allowed us) with terrible time zones and waking up at inhumane hours. I have personally listened to about 400 games I’d say from Myanmar (games start at 6am) for 3 years, Tajikistan (games started at 3am) for 2, and Afghanistan and Pakistan (around 4am) for 3 for the past 8 years. I even listened to the Game 7 loss in 2011 on an island wreaking of death after a cyclone at 8:30am, via the loudest generator and a 8 foot satellite for internet in Myanmar. Needless to say it was the only internet on the island which we needed to implement our humanitarian activities. Now I live in Denmark where I finally have good enough internet to WATCH the games (I had been listening on cjad from 2005-2013), but the timing is the absolute worst: 1am for all games. Low and behold though, I haven’t missed one playoff game yet.

So, from all of us who are nearly as committed as you cats with your Habies flags on your car windows, sitting comfortably with your dinner on your laps and l’antichambre (still never seen it but trust it’s solid) and Jim Hughson between your thighs, and oh, post-game celebratory alcoholic drinks, shut yer faithful holes and be happy for us out here who can finally watch a game (A PLAYOFF GAME!) at 7pm here in Europe… and later in the evening in Central Asia, and who knows what time wherever else.

We deserve this one. And so do Les Boys for a good Game 2.

From a latitude near Kuujuaq or wherever,
    Matthew-

ps: I posted this yesterday with some thoughtful replies – merci!

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Jim Hughson between my thighs? Not unless we’re wrestling and I’ve got him in a scissors hold but even then….LOL

Glad the afternoon game works for you though.

~~ You’ve been spun ~~

• Ian Cobb says:

HABIES.!
      Great that you share our passion for our club, a very heavy burden on your part of the support to be sure.!
      I feel for you and I remember how much I disliked the Pacific time zone when I was living out west. Not to the same degree of your discomfort. Nice to bring this to everyone’s attention my friend.

Enjoy this 6 game series that will end very nicely for all of us!!! Can you make it to the PARADE!!???
      Ian

• Habies says:

Hey Ian, Always enjoy your posts (and your planning! by proxy).

If the Cup is there ready to be given to Les Boys, I’ll be there – even if I have to jump the pond for 48 insane and beautiful hours.

Pray for no injuries.

Best, Matthew in EllerLand-

• BJ says:

Habies here is my solution for watching the games from Germany. I registered with this provider of NHL, AHL; Junior, Olypics +++ for about $100.00 a year. You can watch live or archived + a choice of several broadcasts TSN, RDS or the local broadcaster when on the road. I usually get up in the morning make a hot drink and turn on the archived game. I don’t cheat and look at scores, so basically I’m watching live several hours after the fact. I just couldn’t support going to bed at 4:00 and cranking down from the game and hearing the birds waking up while I was trying to get some zzzz’s. So long story short the alternative is:www.hockeystreams.com (and I don’t own shares in the company).

51. ffenliv says:

Paging Mavid. Is Mavid here?

I’ve got a flight on FA from Winnipeg back to Baker early Saturday afternoon. Any strings you could pull to delay it 2 hours? :P

52. boing007 says:

So, PK is going to get booed every time he jumps on to the ice. How original. How boring.

Richard R

53. Habfan10912 says:

Am I the only one troubled by the Gallagher/Lucic relationship? One seems like a hard working happy kid while the other appears to be a ticking time bomb with a sort of rage about him that we often see in the local gym from overly muscular chemical injectors, if you get what I mean. Just a guess on my part but I bet Lucic has a lot of back acne. :)

There I said it.

54. Cal says:

There is nothing in sport quite like the rivalry between our Habs and the despised Gooins. A little Metallica to get us ready for the series.

55. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning everyone. A trifecta of game 7′s. Hockey heaven.

• 24 Cups says:

Lots of big names need to step it up tonight. None more so than Nash, Richards, St Louis, Lundqvist, Thornton, Boyle and Marleau.

I wonder how tight coach McLelland’s collar will be tonight. It all probably begins and ends with his choice of goalie tonight.

Can Patrick Roy pull one more rabbit out of the hat?

24.4 Cups

• scamorza says:

Yup Philly San Jose and Colorado through

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

56. Cal says:

The Wait is almost over. Gooin fans are trolling HIO again. Most, hell, all of the pundits have declared the Habs’ run to be about to hit a black and gold wall. Slayd’s song Feels like ’93 isn’t quite right for this one. Bruins Get Done Like ’71 seems to fit better.

57. reddog24 says:

Just wondering if any of the Bruin and Laughs last year were afternoon games during their series?

• Maritime Ronn says:

The answer is no.
      Game 2 was Saturday night in Boston and Game 6 was Sunday night in Toronto

• reddog24 says:

Maybe it is not all NBC are OWN TAXPAYERS CBC/HNIC might just have a behind the scene say in when the games are aired. With HNIC bias against the Habs anything is possible.

This is CBC’s last season to enjoy the windfall of advertising money from HNIC, next season the profits go to Rogers. No Bias could possibly have CBC prefer a noonish start. I am sure CBC is trying like crazy to get a Sat. night game, I just don’t think they have a great deal of pull anymore.

According to the blogger I linked above to Cal, there is some slight possibilities for an evening start depending on outcome of Col/Min. game 7 tonight. Not sure if that is still in play the scenario which are discussed.

58. Lafleurguy says:

Should the predictable happen, this very well could be the Swan Song for Travis, so a salute of sorts would be the symbolism of him playing in some of the games before the final adieu. The unpredicted of course is what we crave, which is the underdog prevailing.

59. Garbo says:

Fully expecting Habs to sweep this series.

60. ClutchNGrab says:

A good point made by Stephane Leroux about Sweet Fucale’s series. With the habs tryouts, u-20 tournement, memorial cup run, playoff series and tending for no less than 50 game each of the last three seasons, he might need a little rest.

• jctremblay says:

It’s quite probable…The scrutiny these kids get in this day and age is all encompassing. If they don’t live up to their hype, they get castigated like they were seasoned professionals ..They aren’t.They are kids who often do amazing things considering their youth and lack of maturity in most things. That World Jr. tourney, the under 18 etc has made things worse overall. I love those events but hate how not winning becomes the worst thing ever..Let these guys grow and learn and make mistakes..this is the time for them to develop.

Charles Barkley looks stoned.

• Adidess says:

Where you watching, Timo? The referee Joey Crawford who loves to be the center of attention on the floor played a big role in Durant missing that second free throw at the end of the Memphis-OKC game. Crawford stopped the guy in rhythm taking his seconf FT for no reason, took the ball away to go talk to the scorer’s table, and OKC ended up losing by one point. Charles may have been referring to the play OKC ran out of a time-out. You’re down 1 pt, why setlle for a low pct, long 3-pointer there?

Edit: Haha, I actually read stunned initially -)

• boing007 says:

Ray Charles stoned or Rolling Stones stoned?

Richard R

62. Marc10 says:

The Media is talking about how disciplined and structured the Bruins have now become… and how they won’t take dumb penalties or resort to desperate tactics. Because ya know, ‘they’re so mature and composed now… being champs and all…’

I call BS on that. If they play without getting all Roid-Rage jacked up against us and try to run us out of the building, they are going to be walking right into our wheel house. Skill on skill, we stand a better chance of winning.

If you’re Boston, you want no part of that. You’ll want to get emotionally engaged and get your crowd fired up. I expect fireworks, cheap shots and outrageous tactics. Bring it on. We’ll still win – especially when PK and Gally do their thing. We’re going to drive them nuts.

63. hitgurl says:

Did someone say co-ed shower? Oops I dropped my soap!
    Meow!

64. Marc10 says:

Waking up in the middle of the night will only feed my hatred of the Bruins…

65. Donkey Hoat says:

FWIW, the NHL site states that Game 1 will be at 730pm on Thursday.
    To quote the rest: “Further information on the 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs Second Round schedule will be released tomorrow.”
    So maybe the 12pm Saturday start is as yet unconfirmed…I hope.

66. RiverviewCanadien says:

@ Hobie

Look, I’m writing cheques here left, right, front and center to “Whatyer Saying” right now, I want a truckload of it. Some folks deny the rather quick turnaround Boston has done in the past 5 years and not give credit. There is no doubt in my mind, they are one of the best run clubs in this game (yes they embellish, I get it for the 1,000,000th time).

But I am ok with that, because Montreal finally has smart, stable folks backing and running this team.

There is one word (that Marc/Michel have been known to say more than once) that has started this build of great years to come, it starts with CH…that is key to the success of the Habs.

Well and maybe having an owner whose family has been into brewing beer for a long time. Seriously though, beer just after lunch this Saturday watching hockey (not fishing) is going to be strange, but I’ll manage somehow.

Boston has been, and always will be…a lesser team than the Montreal Canadiens (ok they will always be Montreal’s b/_i/_t/_c/_h). It’s just a fact.

XX|XX|XX|XX|12|11|10|9|8|7|6|5|4|3|2|1

==============================================
    Folks, it’s Playoffs time, and that’ll keep ya on yer seats!
    ==============================================

67. johnnylarue says:

I’ll be honest with you guys (there’s a first time for everything):

I don’t like Philly advancing. Don’t like it one bit.

They were, and now are, the only team left in the East that the Habs don’t match up particularly well against.

Pray for Pittsburgh to get its collective sh!t together, my fellow Habinauts. Got a real bad feeling about this Philly team.

68. Loop_Garoo says:

Ok, Saturday night is the best time for hockey, no question about it. Even though I tend to be busy doing other things, I still love the Sat night game. That said, its not personal. It’s not an insult to Canada, and as hard as it must be to believe, Gary Bettman did not do this specifically as a slight to you personally.

69. Speaking of Manhattan times as an ode to the Rangers play… does anyone have a watering hole recommendation in New York that plays Montreal games? I know it’s Ranger town, but I need to whoop it up with other Habs fans and it’s not the same when I’m screaming at the TV alone!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

Taping the 3rd period of the Rags Philly game… are there any fireworks that would be worth my time watching or should I jsut delete it and watch highlights on TSN?

71. Mavid says:

You have got to be kidding me..my daughter in laws baby shower is Saturday at one…frig..of all days..I will have to sneak it on my I pad..but of all the rotton timing…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

72. mount royal says:

When Sterling makes a bigoted statement he gets banned for life. When Cherry makes a bigoted statement on National TV, he practically gets the Order of Canada, plus a pay-raise.

Saw TSN panel discussing the whole Clippers thing. Did Darren Pang weigh in on the issue yet?