Habs training camp opens Saturday morning …

4343697-1

… and you’re invited.
Training sessions and daily scrimmages are open to the public.
A word to the wise: Get there early for the weekend sessions, which will be SRO if history is any indicator. (Photo of Ryan White by Getty Images)

Here’s the sked:

The Canadiens will have 64 players start camp – including all 31 participants in the team’s Rookie Camp.

Beginning Tuesday with Dallas’s visit to the Bell Centre, the Canadiens will play six exhibition games in seven nights, so plenty of warm bodies will be needed.

Here’s the roster:

And more of the roster:

1. Feraco says:

You guys are absolutely hilarious.

Thumbs up to HabsInHamilton, RGM and Le Fan, all 3 answers equally hilarious and the perfect responses to an excellent post as well.

Cudos to the Guardian Angel as the first post I read today is so passionate!!!
    Although I don’t completely agree with the final half of the posts as you may have been blinded by a flash of red rage, thumbs up to:

A) (with doughnut crumbs on his shirt)…really sets a nice tone to the post

B) dodge a guy, maybe 2, then fumble the puck in the offensive zone. – classic pre contract Gomez

All in all excellent post, and a Common Man! to Gomez!!! You gotta have a better answer than that!!!

Molson Ex mon ami

2. Thomas Le Fan says:

Gomez played badly last year and is over paid. You know it, we know it, now the world knows it. Geez, take a breath man. This is not news. On the bright side, he can’t be any worse, can he? Ha ha.
    I’m glad my guardian angel is … on my side, by the way.

3. RGM says:

It’s amazing that someone can have so much anger at this hour of the morning that they’d actually take the time to spew all this bile.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

4. HabsInHamilton says:

Yes Gomez was pretty terrible last year, but you don’t need to get so angry! Calm down man!

And here is proof, that if the owners think they can make changes to current CBA they will be in for a battle.

6. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I’m so happy to be a positive person and full of life and energy! Today will be another beautiful day for all young and old. GOd bless you Habs NAtion!

So TSN reporting Schenn has signed for 3.5per for 5 years. So does that mean PK 5.5 per?

So of all teams to start the trend of European sponsored style jersey’s the Leafs have started on their practise jerseys.

I am assuming our practise jersey’s have nothing but the Montreal logo? Or will we see something soon as well. Can’t imagine teams not jumping on this bandwagon for a bit more cash.

9. Trisomy 21 says:

I did a little investigating into Calgary’s rookie crop, being that I live there I loosely follow the team to maintain hockey conversation with people. They have little to look forward to, right now the most promising guy they have is their first round pick from the 2011 draft, and then a project Dman who needs to be better in his own zone. Their management needs to be smarter trading their current assets, not like what the got back for Regehr, or else they look right on their way into what we had to deal with in the late 90s.

• SeriousFan09 says:

And Feaster doesn’t understand they need to rebuild, they don’t have the prospects to build up nor do they have the cap space/ability to attract free agents. They have mismanaged themselves into a long dark path, he mocks EDM but they have Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and far more coming along for them, one more top pick like Ryan Murray or Nick Ebert and they have their blue-chipper on defence as well.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

I have had truly the most useless day. Don’t know whether it’s good or bad that it has come to an end.

11. Muckbringer says:

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”
    — John Quincy Adams

12. Muckbringer says:

the one player you wanted to be when you grew up?

i smell it too….

13. Muckbringer says:

by god PK, give em what for!!

— John Quincy Adams

The only prediction I care about is when they predict the route for the Stanley Cup parade when the Habs win the Cup.

15. FishOutOfWater says:

lars eller at 6’2″ and 192lbs is pretty big i figure

16. cmurray11 says:

Who’s Ready For Some Hockkeyy!!! About Time!!

17. Johab says:

Little off topic, but any word on what the goal song will be this year? or the intro for that matter? or are we sticking with the old?

• Chrisadiens says:

Not sure. My suggestion though?

Angel of Death by Slayer.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Johab says:

Im a fan of the song, but Montreal would never use this…(unfortunately)
        As much as Vertigo has grown on me, it simply doesnt pump me up at all. This, however DID http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=2mgOjeCf9jk BRING IT BACK!!!!!!

Call Detroit tell them bullsh!t!

• HabFarmer says:

“Eat the Rich” by Motorhead

“No, I see. The monkey’s out of the bottle now!”

Good ol lemme, saw those guys finally couple years back. Was also the last time I saw Ronny James Dio R.I.P.
          Edit, now that I think about it that must have been 4 years ago, man time flies.

• HabFarmer says:

You should watch “A Headbanger’s Journey”. Some good stuff with old Ronnie. It’s by the same guys that did the Rush doc and “Flight 666″. All good stuff.

“No, I see. The monkey’s out of the bottle now!”

Yah have seen that a couple times very good show. Didn’t get to see any of the old bands this summer, not many seemed to tour by me this year. Did go see Bob Seger, which was great but was no Scorps/Sabbath/Priest show.

Actually Priest is coming to TO in Nov. may end up there, have to make sure no conflict with Summit.

• HardHabits says:

Nothing beats seeing Black Sabbath with Ian Gillan singing. Yikes.

Nazareth was the back up band and came in late because of some mix up at customs or the airport or something. By the time Black Sabbath finished the concert the Metro was closed.

18,000 metal heads marching down St. Catherine street out of the Montreal Forum was enough to start the precursor to the 1986 riot.

• Everlasting1 says:

I’m sure geoff molson would be in favor of that ditty.

——————————————————————-
          “God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment: “How long will you judge unjustly and show partiality to the wicked? Psalms 82:1-2

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Everlasting1 says:

Disturbing, actually.

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

• Sheldon says:

Somewhere My Love from Doctor Zhivago.

18. avatar_58 says:

So are the leafs really going to go with a green goalie who was hot when their team’s chances were already non existent? There’s no other guy?

For some reason this amuses me. They have a big chance of tanking horribly if he can’t find that same spark next year. People complained when the habs tossed Price into the fire, yet here’s the leafs doing the same thing with this guy.

Yup, and they are trying to talk up “The Monster” as a real quality option if needed. Once again talking like now that he is healthy yadda yadda yadda. They have nothing of experience on the farm either.

Reimer is a real good kid, but I am not sure he is the real deal they need him to be.

• avatar_58 says:

Oh hey no disrespect to Reimer, he’ll be good – but he’s just starting out here. I don’t understand why they didn’t resign Giguere to a more reasonable contract and have Reimer as their backup.

Giguere was really nicked up though and age seems to have really hit him hard quick. I didn’t think he was the answer but some kind of veteran would have been prudent I think. But if they do that, then Burke’s ego takes a huge shot since he basically advertised The Monster as their saviour when he signed him. We all know Burke wouldn’t allow that.

@MJ who earlier posted about getting Gaustad. While I completely concur getting Gaustad would be a great fit, I don’t see there being any way Regier lets a big strong centreman leave his roster for a division rival and especially Montreal. If and when Buffalo makes the moves necessary to get within the cap limits they will not be making trades within the division, more than likely to the Western Conference.

• MJ says:

You have a point and what you’re saying makes sense, but that’s why PG is paid the big bucks, his job to make it happen. Consider that the rivalry between the Habs and the Rangers is much stronger yet Sather not only managed to unload Gomez’s ridiculous contract on us but he also somehow managed to get a solid prospect out of the deal too (Ryan McDonagh), ok we’re not in the same division but we’re in the same conference. PG making this happen would certainly be a statement, as long as the Sabres are over the cap ceiling there’s hope :)

This team can use a 6’4″ fourth line centre full of grit and aggression. Paul Gaustad anyone?

20. AK_PK_Usay says:

Is it me or scouts generally inflate players height and weight? cos they always get smaller when our medical staff takes a look…

21. Bugs says:

Got enough guys, yeah? No one’ll be able to skate more’n a yard’n’a half without goin knee on knee on someone else; this is the most ridiculous set-up I’ve ever seen. You’ll have guys pressed up against the glass like in an overcrowded subway; what kind of “training” is that?
    Who ORGANIZES these things anyway?
    Ab. Solutely. Ri.
    DI-culous.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Issue is HH, other teams get sweetheart predictions based on roster improvements, returning players but MTL is not getting that benefit. Markov, Gorges healthy, Yemelin arriving plus Diaz, Woywitka, Nash as AHL depth recalls. Cole, Pacioretty as Power Forwards… I would take our improved team over Buffalo, who has no real 2nd line Centre even.

• HardHabits says:

Yes but if Montreal finishes 4th or better in the East this season it will be against the odds as the Habs are not on anybody, save a few HIO bleu-blanc-rouge lens wearers, list of contenders.

Even you said that it wouldn’t be until 2012-13 that the team would start looking like a potential elite team. Lots of variables at play and the bottom line is the team has to prove itself to earn those types of prognostications.

Is it possible? Yes! Is it expected? Not in the least!!!

That in itself should present good chalk board material for the Habs locker room.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Yes but I didn’t calculate Pacioretty breaking out as a real PF, nor think we’d have Cole and Yemelin added to our roster. I think the timetable may have moved up, but as always, health will be a giant factor. Issue will be we will NOT have any help this season from Hamilton in terms of call-ups that can give real impact, may not even have any until later into 12-13 due to the slower than expected or just injury-based setbacks of top prospects like Kristo, Leblanc and Avtsin.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

• Tony McLean says:

Markov’s fragile and Gorges hasn’t played a game yet. And Josh is small and fragile too. A great team guy and superb shot blocker but we need some nasty. Yemelin’s a rookie. Spacek is……now I’m scared. Gill wouldn’t hurt a fly….who’s going to protect PK? I love Whitey but he’s not a heavyweight. We need somebody 230+.

You have two choices: Break Chara’s nose and win or grab your ankles and lose. There are no other choices. Make a choice.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Gorges is small and fragile? He’s 6’1″ and missed 1 game in his two seasons prior to finally going down and needing to repair an injury that would have you crawling on the ground and crying if you did things half as physically demanding as he did. Heavyweights sit on the bench and add to nothing in a game. They wait to have pointless fights that never occur when things matter most, the post-season.

Who ‘protects’ Ovechkin? Who ‘protects’ Stamkos? Who ‘protects’ Datsyuk? Nobody does really, Cooke tried to take out Ovi’s knee last season with Absolutely NO retaliation. Quit wearing blinders, the cheap shot artists do what they do and they are not stopped by having some knuckle-dragger they can outskate impotently chase them around.

And btw? Who is going to take on Zdeno Chara and break his nose? please, inform us, I’ve been waiting to hear how this fantasy of yours is going to come around.
        – I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
        SF09 on Twitter

23. samTHEman says:

I know it’s tempting to look at all the numbers but grit is a quality, not a number. Sure it shows how much muscle players have put on (or fat) during the off-season…but it all comes down to how you throw your weight around, and doesn’t necessarily mean you have a good center of gravity, especially on skates.

I don’t see why many HIO commenters are shocked or upset to see that pundits and sports forecasters have the Habs fighting for a play-off spot or coming in at 8th in the East. Look at their last 10 Conference finishes:

6th, 8th, 8th, 1st, 10th, 7th, 7th, 10th, 8th, and 11th.

1 elite finish (top 5 over-all)
    6 bubble finishes (all outside the top 10 over-all)
    3 finishes outside the play-off picture (toying with being in the bottom 10)

That is the record of a team that, apart from 1 season, has perennially fought for its play-off life.

The Habs potential is not good enough to sway the pundits and it shouldn’t until they prove themselves.

It’s like counting chickens before the eggs have hatched.

I believe the Habs can be an elite team. They are at least one season away from proving it. Until then they are a bubble team.

Meanwhile the Bruins are still champions.

• MJ says:

Right. Fair point, however, over the years this team has suffered through an inordinate amount of man games lost to injuries to key players. Let’s hope the changes to the boards and glass at the Bell will alleviate that, I’ve been hearing it for years that the fact that the boards at the Bell Centre had no give was a contributing factor to the injuries. I hope so.

I think this team is much better than a lot of peeps are giving it credit for.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Ahh, i had forgotten that Leafs game where we lost in the last 5 minutes missing the playoffs thanks to Charbs giant ego… I think at one point we had a 3 goal lead….

Yeah, Habs have been a mediocre team for a LONG time… ahh well. Still enjoy watching them play. And still think a different GM than Gainey would have got us the cup in 2007… BUT NOOOO that asshole only cared about the centenial, couldnt trade Komisarek when Markov inflated his value beyond belief or Streit at the deadline for another scorer. Then he rushes Price on a gut fucking feeling. When Huet was still playing AMAZING goaltending. Cos yeah, that extra 2nd round pick was SOOOO critical.

Since lock out the only teams that won their cups without any doubt were detroit and pittsburgh, every other team had rough runs and a few lucky breaks, so its critical to pull the trigger when your team is having a hot year and try to capitalize. Gainey basically slow played Aces then still called all in when the flop had flush and strait draws.

• HardHabits says:

I still feel that the Habs are moving in the right direction because my belief is that championship teams are built via drafting and development and the Habs are focusing well and investing considerably in that regard. It still doesn’t erase the past. Hopefully the near future will compensate. Only time will tell.

25. AK_PK_Usay says:

That private school add is disturbing… 1st off that girl is Photoshopped and 2ndcondly why does she look so old? this is primary and highschool we’re talking about, or is gazette advertising for pedophiles now.

How hard is it to have adds related to sports on a sports site.

26. samTHEman says:

Yeah I thought Yemelin was 220

27. scrowe21 says:

Yemelin listed at 205 pounds.. wait.. what? Thought he was supposed to be 230? and now Berger is at 211?

28. Sheldon says:

I still haven’t recovered fully from the Gomez Looks to Bounce Back thread. I mean really, what did people expect him to say? “I really felt that as much as I provided a lot of suck for the buck to NY Rangers fans, I could do even more wearing the jersey of the most storied team in the sport. So, I embraced the challenge in Montreal and, from the few posts I’ve actually read on HIO, succeeded beyond anyone including Bob Gainey’s dreams. This year I am going to give it my all and will consider myself a failure if I don’t get sent down to Hamilton within the first 15 games!”

29. Un Canadien errant says:

Deleted.

30. RGM says:

Question for Boone/Stubbs – any idea when they will be announcing the A/B/C squads and who will be playing which games? I’m crossing some fingers that certain people will be coming to Halifax on the 25th!

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!

31. ClaytonM says:

If Markov doesn’t play 82 games this season, I’m not overly concerned. We need him for the playoffs, obviously, and if he takes a month or two off at the start of the season, or even a night off here and there during the regular season, we have the depth on D to weather out any absences of our best defenceman. It puts more pressure on PK, but he’s shown he can handle it. With Gorges healthy plus Yemelin and Diaz ready for the NHL, there’s no need to freak out just yet.

Regarding the AK46 storyline, has anyone in the Habs media scrum considered their level of professionalism might not be mirrored in Eastern Europe? Russian journalists don’t exactly have an Edward R Murrow as a role model, so who’s to say they’re being honest in their reporting? You’ve got an economy and a hockey league that’s influenced by the Russian mob. Is it that unbelievable their sports journalists are as well? So if they create a conflict between a talented player and NHL management, consider the possibility their ulterior motive is to have that player sign with the KHL.

Ken Dryden For NHL Commissioner

32. Trisomy 21 says:

Dietz is 195? that’s not bad at all for an 18 year old.