Habs’ training camp kicks off in Brossard (Video)

A finalist for the Calder Trophy in his rookie season, Brendan Gallagher sounds like his feet are planted firmly on the ground as he heads into his sophomore year with the Habs.

“I played one year,” Gallagher told reporters on the first day of the Canadiens’ training camp Wednesday in Brossard. ”It was an OK year, but it can get better. And there’s still a lot to be accomplished in the league and things to get done and learn.

“So I’m looking forward to this year. There’s lots of areas in my game that can grow and I just want to be a part of a winning team.”

Gallagher stuck to the same focus in his off-season training: lower body, power, quickness and agility.

“To be a smaller guy and to be effective you need to be the hardest-working guy on the ice,” he said. “You need to continue to work on your quickness and power. And for me every summer that’s my focus. So I come in every year trying to build on that and so far it’s been working.”

Gallagher also plans to stick with No. 11 after giving up No. 73 in February to Michael Ryder when the Canadiens acquired him from the Dallas Stars.

Fifty-five players are attending the camp, which kicked off Wednesday morning with medicals and physical testing. The rookies skated in the morning.

Alex Galchenyuk (left in photo above, with P.K. Subban and Max Pacioretty) is also heading into his sophomore season after a successful rookie year.

“I just have to stay consistent because there were moments when I didn’t score for 12 games. And I didn’t score for 18 games. Then I had a stretch where I scored quite a bit towards the end of the (season),” said Galchenyuk, adding he wants to bring that momentum to this season.

At the Canadiens’ annual golf tournament last week, coach Michel Therrien said Galchenyuk will have more responsibilities and “time will tell us when he’s going to be ready to be a centreman.

“We all understand that Alex eventually will be a centreman. But he’s only 19 years old,” Therrien told reporters then.

Galchenyuk said he feels confident and comfortable on the wing.

“I trust the coaches. They know what they’re doing. I just have to go out there every time I’m on the ice and make something happen.”

Canadiens prospect Louis Leblanc, who has been working with sports psychologists, said he’s ready and focused.  Leblanc, the Habs’ first-round draft pick in 2009, is coming off a disappointing season with the Hamilton Bulldogs after suffering a high-ankle sprain last fall.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Off-season changes hot topic as Habs open camp, by Pat Hickey

Pacioretty hungry for start of new season, by Dave Stubbs

‘Gallys’ confident they’ll avoid sophomore slump, by Brenda Branswell

Photo gallery from Day 1 of Habs’ camp, montrealgazette.com

Plekanec feeling centred, Canadiens.com

Canadiens’ season preview, TSN.ca

Habs chipping in to help Lac-Megantic, by Dave Stubbs

Focus on unsigned players as NHL camps open, montrealgazette.com

Larry Robinson eyes his 10th Stanley Cup with Sharks, Stu on Sports blog

Blake Geoffrion sets sights on becoming an NHL GM, Stu on Sports blog

You can listen to what Leblanc had to say here:

And you can listen to what Tomas Plekanec had to say here:

1. RobertAlanFord says:

Did Hickey say sophmore “drink” instead of jinx by accident at the end of the first vid? LMAO! I hear ya bud. lol.

@BBRhockey

2. JF says:

According to RDS, Simon Gagné’s agent has contacted the Habs about a contract.

• Eddie says:

I have always liked Gagne. He’s a great competitor.

• krob1000 says:

Hmmm …..interesting that is. “Always pass on what you have learned.”

Wise little green guy

• RobertAlanFord says:

Which means someone is on the way out. Right now the roster is at 23 and thats with Tinordi making the team. Emelin comes back and the Habs are on over the roster limit with 24 and over cap by a few hairs. Signing Gagner would put them over the roster and salary caps so if there’s any truth to it they’re waiting until for another deal to go through first.

But then again this is hockey rumours in MTL so who knows.

@BBRhockey

3. frontenac1 says:

McKenzie? That’s Scottish! So is Scotch! I’m in Scotland drinking Scotch,therefore I am Mckenzie and I say the Leafs Suck! Saludos!

4. Garbo says:

I never quite understood the hatred for DD. From what I can tell he has been relatively consistent and produces points.

I don’t know the answer to this, and maybe it will validate why everyone seems to hate him so much (or maybe not), but does anyone know similarly priced players who:

1) Have much better offensive production?
    2) Or worse, but don’t nearly get as much flack as DD?

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Oh man, did you just open a can of worms… ;)

DD has had one good year and one bad year. So for me jury is still out. The knocks on him are size, for sure, as well as the term of the contract (more so than the dollar amount).

• Habfan10912 says:

Just my opinion but DD fits the mold of smurfdom perfectly. If he played like Gallagher the story may be different.

Folks whose hockey knowledge I respect often give his linemates credit for any production he gathered.

• Garbo says:

These are often the types of things I hear too. But that’s too easy to say: “He’s small and only good because of his linemates”. Re: the latter, the same can be said about many players (Chris Kunitz comes to mind), but I don’t hold that against them so vehemently, and others don’t seem to either. So what gives with the DD hate?

I am now expecting a full blown rant about why DD is so horrible and responsible for all the ills of this team… and the world.

• Old Bald Bird says:

It may not be so much DD himself but a reaction to the coaches seeming to give him preferential treatment compared to others.

• JUST ME says:

Nooooooo..don`t ….Some things you do not touch and do not try to understand. There is a trend with so called habs fans that forces you to have a scapegoat. With Gomez being bought out, they needed someone. So even if Cole was traded and Max playing injured D.D. was the perfect target. Nevermind if everyone was happy when he signed his new deal praising Bergevin for not waiting till the end of the season to act. And some of course won`t admit it but since he is french…

For me D.D. is a Gallagher type of player that every team wants.Only knows one way to play hockey at 100%. Never had it easy always had to fight and prove himself and always came through. Not worried that he will be a precious asset for the habs.
      But guess who won`t admit it ?

Why oh why did you have to go that way…

• Mustang says:

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but it seemed to me that DD couldn’t win many faceoffs. He really likes to crouch over the faceoff circle and seemed to be thrown out by the linesman on a regular basis towards the end of last year. If he stood up, he seemed to lose far too many. He also seemed to get more than his share of power play time but of course this is no reason for him to be hated. I have always considered him to be a vary hard working player that has to make up for a lack of size, with extra effort.

5. Ghosts of the Forum says:

My darkhorse to watch this season is Bourque. He was one of the few bright spots in the playoffs…thought he played extremely well with Pleks. If he can return to that form this season, I think he’ll do very well — we could see a return to the 25-30 goal range. (stay healthy!!)

6. John Frodo says:

Both Colberg and Nygrun will make the team

7. HabFab says:

Complete line pairings and rosters for today’s scrimmage;

8. Habfan10912 says:

I love seeing line combinations and I even love hearing some players were huffing and puffing their way through practice.

It does appear their is some depth at forward for this team. Players like Moen, White, DD, Louie L, Thomas and Dumont along with others are going to find stiff competition to make this team.

I still think the club needs help on blueline. I guess the good news is the team has depth but the bad news is the depth doesn’t appear to have a lot of market value (yet).

Would you think it’s possible that when Gionta regains his health that he’s the one that’s moved as his market value may yield better players?

• Bripro says:

Is it me, or is he a little more pessimistic about the Habs than the Leafs?
      The Habs didn’t trade or release anyone of substance over the summer, but the Leafs certainly did.
      I’m not sure I’m in agreement with McKenzie on this.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hi Brian. Long time no talk. I just think we’re going to see such a huge jump at some point from Galchenyuk and Eller that when it happens the team will explode.

As usual though (I hope L isn’t watching) the key is Price. He needs to be better then he was during the second half and playoffs last year. If not, the team can’t be taken seriously.

A. His employer owns a major share of the Leafs, a minor share of the Habs.
        B. Leafs did add a couple marquee role players in Clarkson and Bolland, a potential #1 goalie and they signed the greatest player ever named Kadri.
        C. He works in Toronto.
        D. repeat steps A, B, C. :)

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Found it particularly interesting that he called Eller a winger.

I have a lot of respect for McKenzie…that seemed weird.

9. krob1000 says:

They Habs have just laid down the gauntlet…..daring anyone to try to crack that lineup. Those lines and that tam are not set in stone…BUT…as of rigth now they are the most logical and current depth chart. To top it off….they are a heck of a depth chart…Parros will get worked in but WOW. LEt us suppose Elelr Galchenyuk and Gallagher repeat last year and don;t even grow…just stay the same…..they are still as good as almost any 2nd line. Pleks-Gio-Bourque is as steady as it gets….three guys who all work hard, can all score, play defensviely responsible and lead by example.
    That leaves us with DD’s line….DD may actually have the most potent linemates on the club. Pacioretty is the teams best scorer until proven otherwise and Briere is a veteran scoring machine who can still contribute…he has not lost much speed and is aan elite pp guy over his career. All three Habs lines can be rolled out on a pp wwithout so much as missing a shift….you do not need to make any adjustments for pp’s….pk’s? yes, but nothing on the pp’s….and that to me is pretty damn intimidating to play against.
    If you kill a Habs penalty they still follow it up with 2nd line or better?sometimes if they wish they can instead unload and energy line…how exactl.y do teams defened that? The answer is to have a really good goaile, d corps and have your top line be so elite that with the help of the others they outscore the Habs 3 lines …..not many teams boast that type of roster. Chicago and Pittsburgh come to mind…and even then they are very susceptiible.

Injury? The Habs have an injury to any top nine guy and they have not one but 2 centers in waiting. This is exclsung guys like Leblanc who could fill in if necessary. There will also be depth at wing……and I still hold out a glimmer of hope that team will even upgrade further and pursue Morrow.

Now on D? The habs defense is as complete as any D in the entire league now when healthy…….offense (markov, subban, Diaz, beaulieu) Defense (Subban, Emelin, Gorges, Bouillon, Murray)
    Physical presence?
    The habs can now be considered among the NHL’s tougher half of teams safely.
    OF their 12 forwards listed plus Parros….they have 2 enforcers (Parros, Prust), Murray and Moen who can fight anyone if need be, White, Bourque, Bouillon,Emelin (who shouldn;t but will fight), Subban(who shouldn’t fight but will fight Tinordi ….Gallagher will fight lightweights…
    Bodychecking? as good as any team in the NHL from the backend….forwards have several big guys. Net Presence? Gallagher and Gio may be small but are fearless in front….and with bigger bodies supporting everyone they will get away with more and be vulnerable to less after the whistle intimidation.
    Speed? Also an elite team speed wise…get a little slower with Parros and Murray…sacrifice willing to make as top 9 are as skilled andfast as any in the NHL.
    Goaltending? That depneds on which Carey Price shows up…..last year it must be remembered that he was doing very, very well until a bad stretch obliterated his stats. The fact the team does not have anyone with teh ability to share more of the burden concerns me(I like Budaj but a more stable backup could be put in sooner to avoid longer confidence sucking stretches).

New goatending coach is wildcard, Olympic year could either drive Price to be his best or drive him insane.

That folks on paper is one fantastic looking hockey team….I know people point out last years issues but what could be addressed IMop has been and health combined with some luck and an outduelling of netminding last year led to the Habs downfall…..the team overall was IMo a top 8 team in the NHL…and that was last year.

• Garbo says:

I completely agree. I think all the moves made in the off-season have absolutely made this team better, and I haven’t bought a single argument people have thrown out there to suggest otherwise.

I think this team is going to surprise many people, as long it can get above average goaltending from Carey Price, which I believe is more probable than not.

• Chris says:

Things always look great from our vantage point going into the season. Unfortunately, the team could easily finish in the lottery…the disparity between teams is so small that a bad start or a couple of key injuries can sink any team (see the 2012-13 Flyers, who had a much more talented top-9 last season than what the Habs are featuring this year, but they could not overcome the loss of Pronger and the flakiness of Bryzgalov).

I like the Habs’ forward depth…they lack a superstar (at least until Galchenyuk develops more), so they need to try to win using the Boston Bruins model of three strong scoring lines that can hurt the opposition.

The Achilles heel of the Canadiens could be the fact that so many of its forwards (Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Pacioretty, Briere, and Parros) are mediocre to brutal defensively. If the scoring goes down, the Habs could be in trouble.

Montreal’s defensive performance last season was only marginally better (2.58 GA/G vs. 2.61 GA/G) than the previous season, where they earned a top-3 overall pick. The defensive game and Price’s goaltending were weak in both cases.

Montreal scored 3.04 goals per game last season, good for fourth in the NHL. They can see that drop off a little and still do well in the standings, but any appreciable drop will see them fighting for a playoff spot. We’ve seen the Habs pile up goals with a youth-laden roster full of promise (2007-08) only to see that it was a house of cards. I want to see them do it for two or three years in a row before I’m willing to hazard a guess on how good the forwards really are.

• krob1000 says:

I think The Bruins adopted that model from the Habs a few years back after the Habs beating them. I just can;t see this team struggling to score….and the depth is there now that I can;t see injuries being nearly as much of a factor. Leblanc, Thomas, Paterny, Tinordi and Beaulieu would all be challenging for roster spots on weak teams. Collberg and Nygren perhaps in some cases if they had a good camp as well.
        The goaltending being average and even reasonable health and everything is fine…of course if the injuries get too out of control there will be issues but 3 lines houls pretty well be on the attack for the majority of their shifts….

• Eddie says:

if you look around the league just about every team has a Patern and higher picks like a Beaulieu and a Tinordi. Young d-men who have shown great promise after being drafted quite high.

I think people here expect a lot from Briere and I am not on that page at all. It would be a great story, but I think Briere is done. I hope I’m wrong of course.

I love the Eller, Gallagher, Galchenyuk line.

10. HabFab says:

John Lu -

#Habs Therrien on expectations for Desharnais: “We want him to compete, to be on pucks, to drive the net… He knows that.”

11. Bill says:

@Sportfan: I bought NHL14 and have been playing it with my kid. It’s a lot like you would expect: a slightly better version of NHL13.

What I love about it is the NHL94 Anniversary Mode. Looks and plays like a cross between NHL94 and NHL14. It’s so much fun I have barely played the regular mode at all.

I am not a serious gamer so all the bells and whistles don’t matter to me. In fact I find a lot of parts of the game confusing: I still haven’t figured out how to change the goalie for example.

Anyway, if you like the NHL series, you’ll like this game.

So I appreciate Diaz as a skilled defenceman with little NHL experience, and recognize he is much better suited to have a physical responsible dman as his partner.

Does this mean I am not allowed to hope that Diaz is replaced in the next 2 years with a player who brings the elements Diaz has, and is more physical? Or does this then immediately cast me as a poster who endorses fighting, knuckle dragging and the general mistreatment of other human beings.

13. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Habs scrimmage lines, per John Lu:

Galchenyuk/Eller/Gallagher; Pacioretty/Desharnais/Briere; Bourque/Plekanec/Thomas; Prust/White/Moen

Thoughts?

I’m not a huge fan. Prefer Briere with Chucky and Eller, Pleks b/w Patches and Gally and DD with Bourque and Thomas (Gio)

14. jols101 says:

All reports on Beaulieu is that he spent the entire off season in Montreal training with the Habs strength and conditioning coach. I think he concentrated too much on building muscle mass and forgot to work on his cardio. I don’t think he spent his summer drinking beer, golfing and eating poutine. I hope he is given the chance to prove himself this training camp. I hope he didn’t damage his shoulder too badly today.

• B says:

Why wouldn’t he be given a chance to prove himself this training camp? I see no indication it would be otherwise for him (or any other player in camp for that matter).

–Go Habs Go!–

15. Sportfan says:

@People who bought NHL 14 what do you guys think of it so far?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

16. HabinNorth says:

Was listening to TSN 690 this morning over internet and there was talk about moving. The station went dead for over two hours. Anyone know what is going on?

17. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Anyone else notice a different tone in the media toward Pietroangelo and his contract situation than Subban’s last year?

18. Sportfan says:

Just posted a new NFL post on my blog check it out here, I go on a mini rant, or two :P

19. Chris says:

Adressing the Emelin injury again…

Emelin was hurt on April 6 against the Bruins. People point to that injury as the root of the Habs’ defensive struggles. This ignores the fact that the struggles had already begun. Consider the goalie stats by month:

January
    Price: 5 GP, 4-1-0, 1.98 GAA, 0.924 SV%
    Budaj: 1 GP, 0-1-0, 5.00 GAA, 0.815 SV%

February
    Price: 11 GP, 7-2-2, 1.87 GAA, 0.925 SV%
    Budaj: 3 GP, 2-0-1, 1.63 GAA, 0.936 SV%

March
    Price: 12 GP, 6-3-2, 2.81 GAA, 0.903 SV%
    Budaj: 3 GP, 3-0-0, 2.51 GAA, 0.908 SV%

April
    Price: 11 GP, 4-7-0, 3.49 GAA, 0.876 SV%
    Budaj: 6 GP, 3-0-0, 2.01 GAA, 0.913 SV%

Emelin’s injury cannot account for both Budaj’s and Price’s GAA jumping by about 0.9 goals against per game in the month of March. Nor am I laying that solely on Price, as the April stats of Budaj might (wrongly, IMO) suggest.

Instead, there was a convergence of factors: Price’s play was noticeably worse, the Swarm was becoming decreasingly effective, and the heavy minutes to some key players were undoubtedly taking a toll in the condensed schedule.

Placing so much emphasis on Emelin’s injury ignores the fact that the storm clouds were already visible for a month before he went down. The team’s record did not reflect the problem because they were scoring goals at an unsustainable pace in March. When the goals dried up, the ugly defensive problems were laid bare for all to see.

If people need to point at one injury that led to the Habs defensive struggles, I would argue it was that of the much-maligned Raphael Diaz. His injury on February 25 preceded a 10 game stretch where the Habs conceded 32 goals. They righted the ship for a few games, and then lost Emelin as well. The loss of two top-5 defencemen was too much for the team’s depth.

• Bripro says:

And yet so many have Diaz on the trading block.

• Chris says:

I’m probably in the minority on this one (although I think JF is with me), but I see Diaz as a Gorges-esque positional defender that can block shots, but with significantly more offensive capability. On most teams, that would make him a very desirable commodity. For Montreal, some fans can only see “smurf”.

• Bripro says:

You and I don’t always agree, Chris, but I’m with you 100% on this one.
          Watching Diaz, especially early in the year when he showed up with some games in his system and before he went down, I found him very effective.
          Smart in his puck handling. Tape-to-tape passes. He and Emelin were very effective.

• Eddie says:

Diaz’s quickness is very impressive. His first few steps are extremely quick and he arrives at a loose puck first and with some time to spare – time that he needs to make good decisions and execute on them.

He’s a fine player.

He needs a physical d-man next to him so Emelin was a good match.

• Cal says:

The Habs had an abundance of puckmovers last year (including Kaberle and Drewiske). The D was out of balance because aside from Emelin and Boullion there was no physical presence. No one could move any bodies out of the crease area. Pinning the Habs in and cycling was all that had to be done to score, and we all saw this last season over and over again.
          Diaz, like Weber, can use a change of scenery. Perhaps, the Habs can get a serviceable return for him.

• Bripro says:

Sorry Cal. Don’t agree.
            As Eddie pointed out above, all he needs is a physical partner.

• Cal says:

@Bri- not a fan of Dmen that can’t play physical. His offense in the playoffs? 0-0-0 and -4, while averaging 22:22 TIO.

@Chris- Subban likes to make the spectacular open-ice hit that takes him out of the play, aside from his penchant for slew-footing. He is not as punishing a hitter as Emelin (by far). This is the only attribute PK needs to be better at. He is a pretty complete package, and only 24.

• Chris says:

Subban wasn’t a physical presence?

Subban, Emelin and Bouillon were all regulars last season. They are all physical presences. If they weren’t used optimally, i.e., Subban not being used on the penalty kill (edited), then we should lay that at the feet of Therrien.

A defence corps with Subban, Murray, and Bouillon gives the Habs plenty of physicality. When Emelin returns, it will likely be Bouillon that slides into the 7th spot. Tinordi is also on the horizon, and he is a physical stay-at-home type.

With Markov soon to depart, trading Diaz now would be the height of short-sighted. Who will play on the second wave of the power play next season? Murray, Bouillon, Tinordi and Gorges are all terrible options. No, the Habs should not deal Diaz, who was a key contributor to a very good team, unless his play drops off significantly from last season.

Beaulieu could easily be a couple of years away. In the meantime, Diaz can fill that role of #2 PP quarterback and is a strong-positional defender.

• Chris says:

Cal: his playoff performance wasn’t all that great, but we have to factor in that he missed over a month due to a concussion. Better players than Diaz have struggled on returning from concussions.

• B says:

re: Diaz “His offense in the playoffs? 0-0-0 and -4, while averaging 22:22 TIO.”

Ryan Suter: His offense in the playoffs? 0-0-0 and -5, while averaging 31:37 TIO.

–Go Habs Go!–

@B, sounds great, we should call Minnesota and offer Diaz for Suter straight up then. Obviously equal players.

• B says:

Or perhaps we should not make too much of the stats from a handful of games taken in isolation?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

I agree with Chris. Diaz is a valuable piece for the second wave of the PP.

24 cups and counting….

• JF says:

Why do you think he needs a change of scenery? He did fine until his injury. When he came back, the team was in a downward spiral and the defence was a mess.

• JF says:

You’re right, Chris, I’m with you. But I think Diaz is overall better than Gorges (except maybe when it comes to blocking shots). I think he reads the play better and generally makes better decisions with the puck.

• Phil C says:

I think an important point you are making is that it it was not the loss of Emelin as the cause, but the lack of depth to replace him, with the Diaz injury contributing to the lack of depth. The order in which they were lost maybe irrelevant.

However it is clear to me watching the games that the D pairings really fell apart after they also lost Emelin. Gorges even said as much at the golf tournament.

There were two high scoring games right at the beginning of March, 7-6 against Pittsburgh and 6-3 against the Islanders. If you remove these two games as anomalies, Price’s March numbers for the remaining games are more consistent with his Jan/Feb numbers. As well if you compare Price’s stats in the eight games before the injury and the eight games after, there is a dramatic difference in SV% that coincides with the Emelin injury, or more accurately, as you point out, that coincides with the team’s defensive depth being completely gutted.

Looking at the defensemen invited to camp, I still don’t see an obvious replacement for Emelin, someone who can play on the 2nd pairing with Markov or Diaz. They will probably end up together which did not look good last year. Let’s hope someone steps up.

20. jols101 says:

First scrimmage and both White and Beaulieu are down with injuries. Hope this trend doesn’t continue.

Not sure if the injuries are serious, just getting a bit of info from twitter.

• stephen says:

Gaston Therrien (RDS) seemed to suggest White was cut in the face.

He didn’t indicate it was particularly serious. I imagine it will only make White even prettier.

• Bripro says:

Although Brian Wilde was tweeting that White didn’t show up in the best of shape.
      And Renaud Lavoie was saying that Beaulieu struggled during the rookie camp.
      Perhaps they both need a little conditioning.

• stephen says:

Always disappointing to hear of players showing up in substandard condition. Don’t know if White was nursing any injuries over the summer, but you wonder how any NHL player can turn up out of shape in these days of hyper-fitness.

• HabFab says:

Beaulieu spent the summer in Brossard being trained under the supervision of the Canadien staff so ????

• Eddie says:

if Beaulieu is out of shape I would send him down to Hamilton before he got a chance to play a single exhibition game. Yes I can be an old school hardass when I want to be.

Beaulieu’s talent is off the charts. He is a sensational skater and a huge asset on the point of the power play.

But the message should be sent loud and clear.

• HabFab says:

Ed, he spent the summer in Brossard training under the eyes of the Canadien trainers to build up his overall strength. So find it hard to believe he is out of shape out like the previous year.

• Eddie says:

Physical strength is not cardio conditioning however. I understand your point and I accept the idea that he was in Brossard. If the young man is breathing heavily it’s because his cardio is not up to par. That’s what Gaston Therrien seems to be saying. Am I wrong?

• HabFab says:

Yes but he does seem to be stuck on that and the hinting is that Nathan is out of shape. Like I mentioned below to Brian, wonder if he smokes or has asthma.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I wonder how many people said similar things when Emelin showed up for his first training camp?

• Bripro says:

Sorry, it wasn’t Renaud Lavoie, Frank.
          It was in fact Gaston Therrien.
          Here’s his blog.
          Check out at 8:54. (“Lots of shots. Beaulieu is struggling”)
          And again on RDS the other night, he complained that Beaulieu was sucking wind.

• HabFab says:

Brian, I saw both those and even during the bag skate Pateryn seemed to have an easier time. Mind you Pateryn spent the summer working on his skating. Wonder if Beaulieu either smokes or has asthma?

• habs-fan-84 says:

White had a punctured lung at the end of last year. It’s likely there was a delay in his ability to train hard over the summer.

• Sportfan says:

Well White and Bealieu aren’t the worst injuries we could get, but it does suck that they are hurt.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

21. Skip Davidson says:

It’s about time that the Canadiens got tougher! Its been upsetting to watch this team get beat up the all the time! Can’t wait to see Parros and Murray against Boston! GO HABS GO!

• stephen says:

I feel as though I have missed much of Murray’s career, not seeing many Sharks games, so I can’t picture this toughness that he is being touted for. Not suggesting he doesn’t bring that aspect, just anxious to see how it actually looks game-to-game.

22. SmartDog says:

Best Time quote in memory (below):

“Hey man… my “focus” is all over the place”

————————————-
    Can you smell what the dog is sniffin?

Patrick Roy discussing camp opening up, recognizing challenges and remains optimistic.

24. Stevie.Ray says:

My twitterfeed is saying the Lablanc, Reway and Tarnasky line is looking good so far.

25. Sportfan says:

I will be in shock if the Leafs manage to sign Franson they have less than 2 million to do so. Next off season will be very funny I Toronto can lock up both Kessel and Phaneuf, one or both will be gone haha.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

26. secretdragonfly says:

Very glad to hear Dan Cleary got a deal with the Wings; I would have hated to see him in a Flyers jersey. Also, looks like Lupul’s luck isn’t going to improve since last year.

• 24 Cups says:

Cleary passed up on a potential 6.5M which is a lot of coin for a 34 year old, UFA third liner in mid September.

You also have to wonder which forwards Detroit is going to move or send down seeing that they are three over the limit.

27. Stevie.Ray says:

What are the expectations for Bourque? He went from doghouse/potential buyout, to a solid performer. He has always been a bit of a streaky player. Where do you think he’ll end up this year?

SHOUT to,

Sam Mulligan
    Mark Ordonselli,
    Sulemaan Ahmed
    Julie Hickson

I need your Summit game Section # Row# and seat # right away please. If anyone out there has a contact number for these 4 people, please send them this message. Thanks Ian

Does anyone else notice that Mavid is nowhere to be seen ever since HIO started putting up topless pictures of Habs players.

30. Maksimir says:

Blunden:

I always liked him and hoped he would become a regular but the forward lines are so crowded I can’t see him getting in unless maybe if White craps the bed or is injured?

• doc359 says:

He is the definition of an AHL call up. A guy you wouldn’t mind filling in on the 4th, maybe 3rd line for a few games, but not someone who should be in the long term NHL plans. He also provides great veteran support for the kids in Hamilton. Someone I like having in the system, but not someone who we should be banking on holding a regular line up spot.

• Eddie says:

look I’m not a big fan of fighting. but if I was blunden I would consider it. He’s 6’4. He skates very well – but his offensive skills are 4th line NHL level. If he developed a nastiness around his game, if he played on the edge and fought much more regularly I think he could be making 600,000 somewhere in the NHL instead of 125,000 in hamilton.

That’s the difference between White and Blunden.

White is ready to fight anyone to stay in the NHL and keep the NHL minimum salary – which makes him much more financially secure than a player like Blunden.

I don’t need fighting to enjoy the NHL but the players on that 4th line like Blunden should consider it.

• Chris says:

Blunden is a great example of a guy with size (6’3″, 213 pounds) posting a huge junior year as a 19 year old (46 goals and 84 points in 60 games) playing against boys in the OHL. He is also a very good skater for a big guy.

Unfortunately, his strength advantage in the NHL was non-existent and he simply didn’t have enough talent or speed to make up for it. Too bad…I’ve always felt he could be a serviceable fourth line player on the right team.

31. mdp2011 says:

Price has already given up a goal at the scrimmage, the Habs are doomed, doomed….

32. Sportfan says:

Without ripping my head off lol, could someone explain/remind me how thew playoffs are working? Is it 4 of the top teams in each division that make the playoffs, or is it something else?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

33. sweetmad says:

Just looked at the photo gallery again,I wish I was young now, guys didn’t look like that in the 60′s,even on the street you see young guys like that nowadays.
    The one big difference about eye candy for us girls,is we know it’s all real,not like the pics that the men drool over,breast implants,liposuction,hip implants or what ever.It’s great being a woman.
    GO HABS GO

34. Luke says:

Re: The shootout and Spin-o-Rama:

Since they aren’t getting rid of the shootout we might as well accept it. So, since there is a shootout, why would the go out of the way to stifle any of it’s creativity?

These brain-dead hockey dinosaurs seem to not understand the world of entertainment and the professional sports audience. They consistently make decisions that hinder their product, and the professionals who comment on the game are by-and-large negative about it.
    I think it’s safe to say that as consumers we want to be entertained and, for the most part, we find offense entertaining.
    The spin-o-rama is entertaining. It’s also fun, and it is well within the rule of the game.
    Some people say that the shootout should be removed because it is ‘not hockey’ and more akin to a QB throwing a ball through a hoop.
    Well, the shootout is a hockey play (it’s a penalty shot!) and the spin-o-rama is a legal move during any normal hockey play. So what’s the issue with it?
    The shootout is also more like ending a football game with field goals, not a throwing accuracy drill. (That’d be the empty net w/ four targets).

Regarding the motion of the puck, Shootouts should be managed with the same rules of a Penalty Shot. And a Penalty Shot should be managed with the same rules of a breakaway.

NFL gets it. They protect the heck out of QBs and allow receivers the leeway to try and make plays. They make rules that encourage and support offense.
    The NHL allows and promotes the opposite. Defenders are allowed to cheat. When a cheater cheats so much that they decide he should be punished, they give the cheater’s team a HUGE bonus by allowing them to ice the puck.

The meatheads who comment on the game often talk about making the safe, boring play as if it is the ideal. Yes…. “Off the Glass and Out” is more virtuous than a long bomb pass attempt for a breakaway.
    Heaven forbid the guy should put it OVER the glass and out of play. Then we get to listen to how dumb the league is for making it a penalty. Not how dumb the player is for missing 10 feet of wall and glass, on the routine play that he has had drilled into him for his 20+ years of playing hockey…
    ‘Off the Glass’ is the professional hockey player’s D-chord. Can you imagine a professional musician screwing up a simple ‘D’ and then the audience saying “Well, D-chord’s are tough, and its a fast song…”

@Kooch:

RE: “It isn’t really fair to the goalies at all. Any motion not going forward it should be over.”

Then I suggest that any goalie motion that isn’t skating backwards or laterally is unfair to the shooter and it should be considered a goal.

Maybe they should stand at the hash marks and just take wristers, while goalies stand still?

• krob1000 says:

I think the rationale behind the rule is to prevent a guy from taking a 10 or 20 second penalty shot…having a guy go in, no chance, he circles again…goalies slides, he goes back again,etc,etc and goalie is exhausted and player advantage. That is the spirit of the rule….they have to be careful because if that is not guarded against…in some meaningful game it will happen. I am not sure of the curent wording but I get why they used to have the forward motion rule there.

• Luke says:

OK I understand what you are saying here (and HiB below) but the forward puck motion wording should also prevent a shooter from cradling the puck back to ‘load-up’ a wrister, or dangle around a poke check. Heck even a backhand-forehand deke when taking a wide angle to the net may violate the forward motion rule.

With the exception of time (1 stroke for slow play?) and direct violation of any rule used in hockey (high stick, initiating goalie contact) I think they should allow the shooter (and goalie) every option allowed during a regular hockey play.

• gincognito says:

Simplest solution: time limit on shoot out attempts. I’m not sure what the average time for a shoot out is, but I’d think 5 seconds would be plenty to get ‘er done. Anything goes (within normal playing rules) during that time.

Alternate solution: have a defender chasing down the shooter. Defender starts at opposite blueline. Again, anthing goes (within normal playing rules) until goalie has frozen puck or puck has been cleared from zone.

Brilliant.

d.

I think allowing the shooters to change direction (away from goalie towards the blue line) is akin to allowing Quarterbacks to still make a pass after they have passed the line of scrimmage.

I understand your comment regarding shoot-outs, but still believe the players should not be allowed to do a spin-orama wherein they essentially begin skating back towards the blue line.

• Mattyleg says:

Once again, hockey is not ‘entertainment’. It’s sport.
      WWE is entertainment.

By your rationale, whatever will entertain fans will eventually be allowed because of ‘market demand’. This is all well and good except for the fact that fans don’t know what they want. They often think they do, but when they get what they want, they realise that they don’t actually want it, never did, and get it the feck out of the game (see puck, blue).

Some things that fans would find entertaining:
      - Novely helmets in shapes of animals
      - Music playing during the game to create more ‘atmosphere’
      - Goalie equipment that flashes whenever puck comes in contact with it
      - Circles under players to illustrate who has the puck

As soon as ‘entertainment’ becomes the priority over ‘sport’ is when hockey dies.

Hockey isn’t entertaining for the real fan. It’s painful, frustrating, and unrewarding… marked by moments of elation.

That’s not entertainment, it’s a hostage situation.

(as for your ‘D’ chord analysis, that would be a valid comparison if someone was actively trying to stop the guitarist from playing the chord)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Luke says:

But sport is entertainment. The two are no longer seperate. Sure, Hockey is Sport first, and WWE is Entertainment using Sport as it’s medium… but Sport is Entertainment. It is the priority. after all, it’s all about the cash. And there is a reason the West Coast teams play at 4pm when the Leafs are in town…

Re: The things fans find entertaining… a little bit of a stretch there… (But i can appreciate that, seems the type of thing I do! haha)… Some (a?) European league does have the leading scorer wear an Golden helmet.
        I think the Shootout is a pretty grounded attempt at coming to a conclusion.

(The singer is probably trying to intentionally prevent the guitar player from playing the D chord. The Bass player is too… just not intentionally).

• Trisomy 21 says:

You might be on to something with the animal helmets.

• Cal says:

“The shootout is a hockey play.”
      Baseball should do a homerun derby then, instead of continuing to play a team game after nine innings then. Basketball should go to foul shots to solve a tie in a team game.
      The shootout is the braindead invention of soccer. It guarantees lots of ties and not trying to win in regulation.
      My solution is simple: 0 points for the loser. This will stop teams from “playing for the tie” as right now the rules guarantees them a point for FAILING to score.

• Luke says:

I agree. I’m not a fan of the shootout, but I hate ties.

Baseball/Basketball allow unlimited OT. I’m not saying that should be changed. I’d rather unlimited OT in hockey, but don’t have that anymore. The reality is, we have a shootout.
        So instead of lamenting the glory days, we may as well work with it instead of trying to make it something less than it already is.

You have a shootout: So, do you want a shootout or a crappier version of a shootout. That’s where they are now…

As for points: I’d prefer 3-2-1 points, IF they are going to give the loser a point. (Or 2 W & 0 L).

(Basketball also only plays a 48 minute game, because I assume, some youth group booked the gym at 11pm).

35. Just watching sportsdesk, going to make my first bold prediction for this upcoming season.

Bruins finish below Canadiens. That would make the Habs what in the Atlantic…….3rd?

Goooooooooooood morning my peoples!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31
    8th Annual Hockey Pool, Email for details.
    Live draft 30 Sep, 6pm CDT

36. Kooch7800 says:

Burly called it:

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

37. scavanau says:

We ARE (now hopefully we WERE) pushovers when it came to toughness during those damned “after the whislte” scrums. That gets my nose out of joint, and officiating that tolerates that crap.

38. Sportfan says:

I could have sworn Boston had signed Theodore, anyone know what happened with that?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!