Gomez sent home, he’ll be bought out

Gomerweb

AUDIO: Marc Bergevin news briefing

BREAKING: Scott Gomez sent home, where he will remain for the season. He’ll be fully paid but if Canadiens want to buy him out at season’s end, which they will, they can’t afford the risk of him being injured.

Pat Hickey quick hit:

Scott Gomez’s days as a Canadien are over.

General  manager Marc Bergevin announced Sunday morning in Brossard on Day One of the team’s training camp that Gomez was being sent home and would be bought out in the summer.

“We felt this was the best decision for the good of the team,” said Bergevin. He added that the Canadiens need to clear out cap space going forward and the deal will remove Gomez’s $7.357 million from the books for the 2013-14 season. The Canadiens will have to pay Gomez $5.5 million not to play this season and then will pay him two-thirds of the $4.5 million he’s scheduled to make next season.

Bergevin said the Canadiens couldn’t afford to have Gomez hurt because the new collective bargaining agreement  doesn’t allow teams to buy out injured players.

Bergevin said the decision on Gomez was made after he saw the final draft of the CBA at 11 p.m. Saturday and he met with Gomez at 7:30 a.m. Sunday at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard. Bergevin said Gomez was “professional” when he was given the news.

Gomez was considered a prime candidate for one of two compliance buyouts permitted in the new CBA but as recently as last week Bergevin said Gomez was part of the team.

Early results from an online hockeyinsideout.com poll question, suggest fans believe Bergevin made the the right call with Gomez. More than 85 per cent of the nearly 250 people who had cast their vote by mid-day Sunday supported the general manager’s decision.

The decision opens a spot for a forward on the Canadiens’ roster.

Bergevin also said contract negotiations continue on a new contract for defenceman P.K. Subban, who remains in Toronto. Bergevin travelled to Toronto Saturday for face-to-face talks with Subban and agent Don Meehan.

“We exchanged proposals and counter-proposals but there was no agreement,” said Bergevin. He said he had no plans to trade the restricted free agent.

The Canadiens opened camp in Brossard at 10 a.m. Sunday with 23 players. Missing were Tomas Plekanec  and Mike Commodore (day-to-day) and Petteri Nokelainen, who is a few weeks away from a return.

With the 119-day National Hockey League lockout officially over, the Canadiens kick off their training camp at 10 a.m. Sunday morning.

Twenty-seven players are taking part in the camp at the team’s practice facility in Brossard, on Montreal’s South Shore.

Missing from the list of 27 players is Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban, who is a restricted free agent and remains unsigned. Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said last Monday that it was his intention to sign Subban before camp. Talks between the team and Subban’s agent Don Meehan have been ongoing. Subban led the team in ice time last season.

The Hamilton Bulldogs players invited to camp are forwards Brendan Gallagher and Gabriel Dumont and defencemen Jarred Tinordi and Mike Commodore. Alex Galchenyuk, 18, the Canadiens first-round draft pick last June, is the youngest prospect at camp.

The Canadiens released their schedule today. They’ll face the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday at the Bell Centre to open the season.  They’ll end the 48-game season playing the Leafs on April 27 in Toronto. You can see the schedule by clicking here:

Canadiens head coach Michel Therrien will be available to the media later today.

1. aj says:

Good Move. MB and the rest of Management Team knows this will hurt Canadiens salary cap. But then, this is where the “desperate times call desperate measures” approach happens.

Judging on the figures on Capgeek, the 2 other players in question have this for 2013-2014 Season:

Tomas Kaberle – $4,250,000
    Rene Bourque – $3,333,333

My best guess IMO would be for Bergevin to buyout Kaberle’s contract.

• Phil C says:

Why not trade him if you can? Even a 7th rounder is better than a buyout.

• HammerHab says:

If MB planned on buying them out he would have already done the same thing with them as he did today with Gomez. There will be no 2nd buyout next year.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• Mike D says:

Not necessarily. The team has faith that Kaberle and Bourque can be productive and are willing to give them a chance to play this year to show value. They did not have the same feelings towards Gomez. Plus Gomer’s cap hit is much larger than either of those guys.

I also believe Kabs and Bourque are much more tradeable and they won’t have that value if they don’t play.

The team will buyout another player *IF* they need to. Obviously they will avoid it if they can.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I think their performance on the ice will determine that

2. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I think I’d rather see White on the 4th than Dumont. Let Dumont keep being a leader in the AHL. If I’m not mistaken, White has played center before? Love to see him, Prust and Moen line up against the Bruins.

3. HabFab says:

JohnLuTSNMtl – #Habs practice forward lines: Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole; Galchenyuk-Eller-Gionta; Moen-Prust-Bourque; Armstrong-White-Gallagher
    practice d-pairs: Markov-Emelin; Kaberle-Gorges; Bouillon-Diaz; Tinordi-Weber. Missing: Plekanec, Nokelainen, Subban

4. Applause. Now that’s management! I supported this guy ever since Bob traded for him. We were all big fans of McDonagh, but at the time someone from the scouting staff obviously passed on some horrible advice and we got one good year out of Gomez and we fans had to support the team and the players in it. Well most of the fans had to. I had a bad feeling when I saw his stat in Alaska. I just couldn’t imagine him returning. The End.

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

5. Chrisadiens says:

Center Ice will not be free this year. Four payments of $14.99USD. File this under not surprising, but disappointed.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

6. temekuhabs says:

Must be nice to get paid 5.5M to sit at home on your ass…

7. habs33 says:

What are the chances Commodore makes this squad? I haven’t really seen him play in years and I don’t know anything about what he’s done in Hamilton. Anyone have any feedback on him?

GO HABS GO!

Follow me on Twitter:djamesross

8. Hobie Hansen says:

I guess we know why Dumont was invited to camp. Looks like he’ll be centering the 4th line. I like it.

9. Colex says:

Gomez always said the right things in the press. I think he worked hard while playing, but was awful defensively(and on offence) Ends up being a victim of a foolish contract.

10. Loonie says:

This puts Eller into a third line centreman role. A move that will limit his ice time and keep him held back from taking the next step in his development.

I really don’t care that Gomez goes home with pay. But it bothers me that his presence for another 48 games would have given Eller an opportunity to play the wing as a top six forward and they’ve decided to continue using him in a depth role.

Pacioretty – Desharnais – Cole
    Bourque/Galchenyuk – Plekanec – Gionta
    Bourque/Galchenyuk – Eller – Armstrong
    Moen – Dumont – Prust

The only potential silver lining here for my money is that Galchenyuk could be playing with Eller on that third line.

Time will tell.

• Mike D says:

Tom I know you mentioned yesterday that they would put Gomez with Gionta on the 2nd line to give him (Scott) the best chance for success this year, but were you thinking that the team would really put Pleks at either LW or centering the 3rd line?

I see this as a good thing for Eller since another C was removed from the roster….assuming the team doesn’t misuse him.

• Loonie says:

No no. I thought they would move Gionta down to a third line with Gomez. Not a promotion for Gomez.

• Mike D says:

Ahhh gotcha. Do you really think they would put Gio on the third line though? I gut that this 3rd line would be a scoring line in its intention (like a 2A, 2B scenario), but I don’t think they would have done it. Gio has been productive for us and other than his injury, has done what he was supposed to do for us. Be a leader, a 30ish goal scorer, and defensively responsible.

• Loonie says:

I think if their goal is to have 4 lines that can take a regular shift they could’ve come up with worse ideas.

11. habs001 says:

I am not clear on this rule…If a team has a player they wish to buy out and not have him on the team why cant they buy him out if he is injured?..It sounds like the league does not trust its own members …..All the league has to do is make the penalty so severe for not telling the truth about an injury that no team would do this….

• HammerHab says:

a team could then buy out a player if he has a severe concussion, knowing it’s unlikely he will play again. I don’t think that’s fair to the player. Think Marc Savard.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

12. Phil C says:

What if Gomez gets injured while training? They can’t just wrap him in bubble wrap and put him on a shelf until summer.

13. habstrinifan says:

Gomez of course was the focus of the news briefing. And I applaud MB’s move.

I also liked very much two things he said and the way it should affect Subban.

A)He met face to face with Subban and Meehan in the same room. I am sure this was a Bergevin move and he said he laid his cards on the table and talked ouver everything … all the issues with Subban and Meehan.

B)He stressed THAT EVERYONE is beginning with a CLEAN SLATE!

Love it!

I think the negotiations with Subban weren’t all about money but room perception. I am sure the meeting cleared this up.

It is up to YOU Subban NOW. If what Bergevin said this morning is how things transpired in the last 24 hours, then the ball is in your court. I am sure no offer the HABS have on the table is ridiculously low.
    So as of now, based on what I think Bergevin said and did, I am applauding him and hoping you respond as the person/player I think you are. We need you…. but we have to be realistic. I hope it WAS NOT all about more money!

14. habsfan0 says:

Who will wear Number 11 on Habs this year?

So this is what it took to get that ugly mug of Burke’s off of TSN’s first page. It is now the handsome and friendly Scotty Gomez on the front page of the website.

16. temekuhabs says:

Habs had to bite the bullet on Gomez contract, good move

IMO the Habs should sign Subban for 4-4.5 Million for 5-6 years.

What the heck is going on, agreeing with HH again! Yes, if they are going to get into those dollar numbers they need to at least get some of his UFA years. I would have preferred the 2yr. contract, but it seems the dollars just won’t match up.

• Chuck says:

Gorges, Pacioretty and Price are all signed for six more seasons; Gorges at 3.9, Pacs at 4.5, Price at 6.5. Give Subban 6 years at 4.5 and call it a day.

___________________________________________________

• Loonie says:

Ideal contract. Which means it probably won’t happen. Not sure it would be wise of Subban to commit that much term for under $5 million.

Buying more ufa years should push the aav over $5m.

18. Chuck says:

So wait…. will they be buying him out in the traditional sense, or using one of the new amnesties provided under the new CBA?

___________________________________________________

• Bill J says:

New amnesty, not bought out yet. Doing so in the summer.

• Mike D says:

Amnesty buyout this summer. The new CBA doesn’t allow teams to buyout injured players so MB is playing it safe. If Scotty played this year and got injured, they would not be able to buy him out when the amnesty period opens up this summer and that would put the Habs in a nightmare of a spot next year as it relates to the salary cap.

19. Ghosts of the Forum says:

With respect to Gomez to the AHL — they could but they wouldn’t get cap relief. And they risk him getting hurt, which means they can’t buy him out.

Does that mean he won’t play on the ECHL either? Can they tell him he can’t play?

20. Mondou6 says:

Kinda stupid rule that a player who is injured can’t be bought out.

Who does it benefit to have players sitting at home, getting paid for nothing. Looks bad for the players and the teams.

• Phil C says:

I don’t like it either. It is not good for the game or the fans that a player who has the skill to play in the NHL is being forced to sit at home because of a legal loop hole.

• Mike D says:

I hear what you’re saying. They could have allowed teams to ‘proclaim’ a player (or two) they intend to buyout, and that way, whether a player gets injured or not, teams could still buy out said player.

That way, the player gets a chance to play and redeem himself to the rest of the league if he wishes to continue his career, and the team accomplishes what it wants to anyway. Win-win.

• 24 Cups says:

Tell that to Savard and Pronger. You can’t punish a man financially just because he got hurt on the job.

21. Mavid says:

Gomez haters can rejoice…this decision had to be made..I get that..what I don’t get is the hate for a player who is on a team you cheer for..I hate players alright..but they are on other teams..who will be next for the haters…I don’t love every hab player on the team..but the hate and bashing spewed on here for OUR OWN PLAYERS..boggles my mind..I just don’t get it…I will save mine for Chris Neil, or Lurch..

22. JayK-47 says:

I know I was pretty hard on G-love. What I saw in The Trade was a swapping out for a Saku sized player with Saku like numbers for 2-3X Saku salary. And the Habs gave up way too much too take ON salary. I never imagined Gainey would have got fleeced like that until I saw it.

But now, with Gomez moving on, it adds some things to the team that it hasn’t had in a long time; Accountability and competition. t wasn’t fair to the other players to keep Gomez around if he wasn’t pulling his weight. It makes for a troubled and confused work environment and it was well past time for Gomez to go.

Next time you want to feel sorry for Gomez, think of that guy at work who’s everybody’s friend but doesn’t do much but hang out at the coffee machine. Is it better to have a funny buddy around? Or someone who gets stuff done?

23. ProHabs says:

YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So long Gomer

• Strummer says:

I know how you feel , mate!

My “E” sticks sometimes too.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

24. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Interesting to note that Galchenyuk’s slow (relatively) start to the OHL season turned around when they moved him from center to RW. Much easier to picture him as a top 6 or 9 winger on this team right now than a top 3 center.

• HammerHab says:

problem is we’d put him on the LW….this could hurt him more than help him

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

On a team that is thin on talent it’s tough to lose a player this way, even if it’s Gomez. However, this is a plan that GMs must have talked about during the past week. Call it the Wade Redden factor.

There are two distinct advantages to this move. It means Eller and DD get to play centre. Period. It also symbolically cuts ties with the Gainey/Gauthier era which I feel is very important. It may not be fair to either man but the Gomez trade is what defined Gainey’s tenure here in Montrreal. It’s time to turn the page.

With the Habs weakness on LW, and Eller now entrenched at centre, it really appears that Galchenyuk will stay for the entire season. I also won’t be surprised if Dumont sticks around until Noke returns.

• ed lopaz says:

Eller at center, full time, will make this team better.

The young man can flat out play. He is very comfortable up the middle and he’s shown in the past that given the opportunity he can add value there.

Even on the 3rd line, Eller will begin to develop his game and push the Habs to consider him as a 2nd liner for next year.

Galchenyuk is not being given the entire season, in my opinion – but I believe he has the skill to EARN it in training camp.

• helluva habs fan says:

This is a big year for Eller. He should show he is the team’s undisputed 3rd line center and may even play his way onto one of the top two lines. Opportunity knocks.

• helluva habs fan says:

I have a feeling Dumont or Gallagher will stick before Galchenyuk.

26. saskhabfan says:

Does this mean under the new cba you can no longer send contracts like gomez’s and reddens to the ahl to get cap relief? Cause it probably would have been the better move if you still could.

27. frontenac1 says:

Viva Gomez! Viva La Revolucion!

28. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Gomez is done according to TSN’s McKenzie. Bergevin told him to stay home. They’ll pay him, but he won’t play.

29. ZepFan2 says:

Thank God the Toronto run Canadiens finally saw the light and said buh-bye to Gomez. Now they can focus on making the Habs worse and selling more Coors. Look for the Coors sign on the Habs jersey next.

Go Toronto Canadiens Go!

:roll:

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

“Bring it back home to me baby”

Bring it on Home

Speaking of which, I was at my brother-in-laws yesterday who just came back from the States. I had an original banquet beer a regular Coors. I feel as though now I control the Habs, my first move was getting rid of Gomez.

If I go back there today and have a 2nd Banquet Beer I may even make John Bellyfull Vice President Operations!

• Habfan10912 says:

Zep – I’m recovering from the flu and was a bit slow on this. My first thought was someone hacked your account. LMAO

———————————–

30. Psycho29 says:

Oh Bergevin is back on the podium to make an announcement

31. Phil C says:

Bad day for Gomez, great day for Eller, Galchenyuk, and Gallagher.

32. helluva habs fan says:

All you Lars Eller flag wavers out there should be stoked. With Gomez out of the picture, he should get a good opportunity at center now.

33. Propwash says:

F*** it, I’m still gunna blame Gomez…

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

34. Ron says:

With out having to pencil Gomez into a line up, let the line combs begin again.

35. HabFab says:

Jeudi, au Centre Bell il y aura un match intra-équipe. Pour cette raison, le CH rappelle Blunden, Leblanc, Holland, Bournival et St-Denis.

For the inter squad scrimmage on Thursday, these players will be called up.

Gomez in Dallas next season.

37. Haborama says:

and so the PG era truly came to an end quietly, uneventfully on a rainy Sunday morning, on a dreary January day……..

the man who had destroyed the Canadiens out of sheer spite was long gone but his signature legacy, the player who most symbolized everything wrong with the Gainey-Gauthier era still lingered like a foul smell of decomposing flesh at a murder scene…….

Scott Gomez, who did not score, fight, hit, skate, shoot, or pass, all the while costing the team a 7-8 million dollar cap hit (depending on the season) is now gone. We have lost our greatest deficiency, but we have also lost our whipping boy, now we can not simply blame the devil-like figure that was Gomez for our favorite club’s failings. Timo must find another terrible Hab to cling to (Diaz?, Weber?)

The future: uncertain, but surely better than it was a this time last year. And perhaps, years from now we will look back on this date as the true dawn of a new era in Montreal Canadiens history. Gomez is/was the dark past. Alex Galchenyuk symbolizes the bright future (hopefully).

A quote comes to mind: “To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high” so here’s to Galchenyuk (hopefully) raising said torch, and maybe a Stanley Cup or two in several years time……..

I thought I heard Chantal’s voice during the press conference. Made me wonder if Boone is spending his retirement days chasing after her and how soon before there is a restraining order?

39. adamkennelly says:

our new GM wears big boy pants…makes the tough decisions – moves on.

40. Bill says:

I’m very surprised by this for several reasons.

1) I thought at least they’d take a look at Gomez in camp. A healthy Gionta could have made a difference in Gomez’s fortunes.

2) How can you use up THAT much cap space on a guy for what amounts to house arrest??

3) it’s not immediately clear to me that Gomez is not the third or fourth best centre on the Habs, even as sucky as he was last year.

I’m not pleased or displeased by this news. And I’m not confused. Just surprised.

BIll, I think it speaks to the commitment this team is making moving forward. They couldn’t afford to not be able to buyout Scott this upcoming summer. I am not so sure this decision was about specifically putting the best players on the ice today, but ensuring the best players can be on the ice tomorrow (next season specifically)

• Habs64 says:

Can’t afford to take a chance he is injured with cap decreasing. Rangers doing same with Redden.

Better a young player gets the ice time – Gally or Gallagher or Dumont.

• Phil C says:

1) I see this decision about next year, not this year. The Habs REALLY need the cap space from the Gomez buyout next summer, so they are not willing to risk him being injured during the buyout window and miss their opportunity.

2) There are no more free agents to sign anyway, so Gomez’s cap space has little value to the team for the rest of this season.

3) It’s unfortunate for Gomez that the buyout is not immediate. He could still help a team like the Devils who just lost Parise.

• Mike D says:

The Devils could also trade for him if they want him and have faith in his ability to play. I’m sure they know we’d accept ‘future considerations’ in return.

Twitter: @de_benny

Geoff Molson putting his money where his mouth is. He said he would do whatever it took to improve team. He is paying the price literally now. Good start, Bon Voyage Scotty, wish him the best in the future.

42. Carta-Hab says:

Is it just me, or did Bergevin seem extremely uncomfortable during the last couple of press conferences. His non-verbal cues speak for themselves.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

43. Chuck says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Flashback to June 30, 2009: NYR trade Gomez, Tom Pyatt, Michael Busto to MTL for Chris Higgins, Ryan McDonagh, Pavel Valentenko.

Ouch. Thanks for reminding us, Bob.

___________________________________________________

• 24 Cups says:

Gainey’s counter offer should have been Higgins, Valentenko and a 3nd round pick. Bump it to a 2nd rounder if need be.

The Gomez trade is now Gainey’s failed legacy in Montreal.

44. ed lopaz says:

Bergevin believes in players who are willing to “pay the price” for the team.

Character players who work together to make the team stronger.

I suggest Kaberle and Bourque should PVR this announcement, because their attitudes do not align with this management’s philosophy.

• Habfan10912 says:

Great point. A shot across the bow, huh? I hope they both get the message.

———————————–

• Mike D says:

I’ll happily give them this season to make their statements on how they will contribute to the team. Kaberle was never a pay-the-price player, but if he can be effective and improve aspects of his game, then good on him.

Twitter: @de_benny

Listening to the MB presser and all I can think about is how glad I am that Gauthier is gone. Seriously. Next up Bettman’s dismissal.

46. ths says:

So to recap for those who have just joined us :

PK has been told to stay home he is not needed.
    Gomez has been signed to 5 year 7.5 M contract renewal

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

47. HabFab says:

GLefrancoisRC – #Habs Bergevin dit que Leblanc a été ralenti par sa blessure à une cheville. “C’est un prospect pour nous et on le voit très haut.”

Basically Leblanc is a highly thought of prospect being slowed by an injury.

So does this mean Gomez gets an early ticket to the HHOF?

49. L Elle says:

I must still be asleep and dreaming. Marc Bergevin on the TV telling us how can we improve the team, and not be forced to trade our good players because of Gomez’ cap hit?

The culture has really changed. Thank goodness!

Some people on here can never enjoy themselves unless they are bashing someone on the team. Give it a rest!
    Players that make the roster deserve to be on it, regardless of pay scale.
    Be a team player for a change! You don’t have any influence on who the coaches and G.M. use or keep anyway.
    I don’t like all the players all of the time, but they are team mates first and foremost.

51. Habs64 says:

Will Gally make the team then – play 48??

52. ths says:

So that is Habs present to Fans. Swallow Gomez and ship him out of town

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

53. habsfan0 says:

No Gomez, no PK to start the season. Yawn. What will beat writers complain about?

54. habstrinifan says:

Man Hockey is cool! Lockout?????? What Lockout???

Anyone wants to rumble? I’m alive again!

And the winner of the whole Gomer fiasco is… Scotty of course. Goddamn the dude is brilliant. I will email him to see if he is available to be my life coach.

56. helluva habs fan says:

Press conference is live on tsn.ca

57. ths says:

Gomez has been pulled out of the practice pending a trade to the Alaska Aces for their bus driver

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

58. habs-fan-84 says:

Greetings from Aruba all!

yes I’m in Aruba and still thinking of the Habs lol
    Was hoping to get up this morning and read that Subban had been signed. Pretty disappointed to see otherwise. Anyways enjoy the training camp updates and I hope the next time I log on I read that Subban has been signed.

Cheers,

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks for the greetings and thanks for not giving us a weather condition comparison. Hopefully PK gets signed today. Stay tuned. Don’t forget the sunscreen bud.

———————————–

59. Propwash says:

So, Gomer is being bought out this summer.

_____________________________
    “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
    Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

60. habstrinifan says:

WOW! A marks on this to MB.
    … in my humble oopinion.

61. HabFab says:

CanadiensMTL – Marc Bergevin:«Scott Gomez ne participera pas à la saison 2012-2013 et son contrat sera racheté l’été prochain.

It’s official, adios Gomez!!

• Mike D says:

Frank, what’s the over/under on how many days before we see wjc around these parts given the Gomez news? ;-)

Twitter: @de_benny

This puts a huge dent in the facts he always quotes.

• Habfan10912 says:

Mike I had that same thought. One thing about wjc. His loyalty to Gomez was unwavering and in a way admirable. I’m sure he will be upset.

That said, call me a sap. Maybe because I’ve experienced workforce reductions several times in my life, it is hard to be happy about someone being told he is no longer needed. I know he’s still getting paid but trust me, from someone who’s had to tell people they are not needed or can no longer be afforded, it’s not pleasant. I hope Gomez finds comfort in his life. As someone who was upset with his play and said so here, I still feel bad. Sap or not.

———————————–

• habstrinifan says:

I understand Habfan10912 but this is a situation where the ‘worker’, Gomez is sent home with above average severance and had plenty of ‘warning’ re his performance decline.
          And the requirements of his position in the company were integral to production of the company.

• Habfan10912 says:

Understood. I even feel bad when criminals are executed. I really am a sap. Your point is well taken bud.

———————————–

• Habfan10912 says:

@jcc I feel worse for all victims of crimes. I think I think more of the waste of a life more then sympathy for the criminal. Probably worded that wrong.

———————————–

• Mike D says:

Personally Jim, I believe that makes you a compassionate person, not a sap.

Part of me feels bad for Gomez, but it’s a small part of me. He said all the right things in the media, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know what to say given the circumstances.

I believe it was Louis Jean who told Sportsnet’s HC @ Noon a few months ago that Gomez had totally given up on the game and his team. He went on to say that the other players would never admit it, but even his ‘friend’ Gionta had enough of him and didn’t want him around anymore.

• Chrisadiens says:

Hahahaha

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

62. Phil C says:

Gomez also said he caught a cold on the flight to Montreal.

63. Mike D says:

I believe it’s now official: Gomez was sent home to avoid risk of injury, as he cannot be bought out this summer if he is injured.

Great move by MB!

Twitter: @de_benny

If indeed Gomez is sent home, I am very very concerned for Timo. No MAB and No Gomer can only equal Unhappy Timo!

65. JayK-47 says:

I heard Gomez is skipping training camp because he didn’t have time to get the THC out of his system. Or is that something I just made up? Who knows with all this crazy news swirling around!

66. Chrisadiens says:

Numerous reports that Gomez was sent home. Will not play this year to avoid injury and will be bought out this summer.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

67. Hali_Hab says:

Does anyone have a link where I can watch the practice on line? It’s not on rds here in Nova Scotia.

would press conference be live on habs website?

69. Chrisadiens says:

Well this could be an eventful day!

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

70. CanadienBoy says:

anyone s read the Ckac article on Leblanc being put down to no end in hamilton ,if that’s so may be the coaches aren’t doing to good

71. Carta-Hab says:

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
    Bergevin to meet media in 15 minutes to address Gomez’s absence #Habs

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

72. Carta-Hab says:

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
    Gomez not on ice, not injured @RenLavoieRDS says his future with team is uncertain.

Are they maybe sitting him for the season to buy him out?

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

73. habsfan0 says:

2nd? On Day 1 of training camp?

First… (on sunday morning. Thanks kiddo)

75. Loonie says:

Subban is the kind of player you trade high draft picks for, not trade away for high draft picks.

My opinion.

76. Habs_4_ever says:

Amen!

————————
    “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

77. Loonie says:

I realize that. But as long as LTIR is in place and there’s one compliance buyout per season his health shouldn’t be the deciding factor in sending him home.

It’s a big of a scapegoat in this scenario I think. Much more likely that they just don’t want him on the team. And I agree with that.

Just a little bothered by them not telling him in the summer that he wouldn’t be back…..which they could have done regardless of what the new CBA was going to say.

78. alfieturcotte says:

But next year his salary is $4.5MM – from what I am reading. Heck – I would buy out Bourque sooner than Gomer. It is the right move if his cap was the $7-$8MM; I argue that he is more valuable to us in Hamilton game ready than at home for $4.5MM.

79. Strummer says:

MB “Means Business”

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

80. Chris says:

Really, do you honestly want to go down that route of suggesting I stick to commenting on little league hockey because I disagree with you?

Give me a freaking break.

Licking their wounds. I wonder if wjc is going to come back or send his HIO account to Alaska too.

82. Loonie says:

cap hit doesn’t change though and they’ll be hard pressed to get to $64 million next year. Gomez had to go. Some others will be gone too.

83. HabFab says:

His salary is only $4.5 but Cap hit is still $7.3 ML…that is the killer.

84. tagomagotexas says:

His cap WOULD be 7-8M next year. It’s just his actual salary at 4.5M. It was distributed unevenly under the terms of his contract with NYR.

85. Loonie says:

Sending him home has nothing to do with the rules. He was either getting bought out or sent home.

That’s why I and some others believe it was classless. Anybody thinking the decision for Gomez not to be on the team this year was made last night should stick to talking about little league.

;)

86. Ozmodiar says:

LTIR doesn’t help.

If he’s on LTIR during the buyout period, he can’t be bought out. If that happens, then he comes off LTIR during the season, the Habs would have to free up the cap space.

This is why he can’t get hurt.

87. Kooch7800 says:

I don’t think they knew what the cap would be and what options for buyouts etc. Until it was decided they didn’t know what they could do.

If the cap stayed the same Scott would be playing

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

88. Loonie says:

The Flyers have notoriously manipulated LTIR to get cap relief for years. I don’t think it’s something the Habs would be above doing and if this is “just business” I’m not so sure there would be a problem with using it to their advantage.

89. Ozmodiar says:

What the Flyers did doesn’t change the fact that Gomez could come off LTIR next year.

The Flyers player stayed on LTIR.

90. Mike D says:

Who the h*ll said that?!?!?

Twitter: @de_benny

I lifted this quote from Kevin. I don’t belong to Facebook or Twitter.

92. Loonie says:

You said people who see the move as classless. And if you were referring to me specifically you would have said so. Either way it’s an incredibly immature way to disagree and you’re no more of an authority on all things hockey than anyone else here.

93. Loonie says:

It isn’t the move. It’s the way it was done. There’s a big distinction there. And telling people to stick to discussing little league instead of the NHL is ridiculous.

That’s dictating to people that they aren’t on an equal level of understanding about hockey and business as you. Which I can assure you is silly at best.

94. Loonie says:

I don’t care what you feel. But you absolutely dictated to people who happen to have a different opinion from you. You can’t take that back. Own it.

95. Loonie says:

You spoke to me. And you’re dictating again.

Oh almighty Habsolutely maybe one day we’ll all have the advanced knowledge of all things that you do.

I guess 5.5M (10M over two years) is still too steep for most teams looking for a 3rd/4th line centre. Not sure many teams need to get to the cap floor. Much better to go with a rookie at 650000 a season or a guy like McClement (who I wished we had signed).

97. Mike D says:

According to Louis Jean, Gomez was not exactly well-liked by his teammates last year. Word was that Scott had totally given up and everyone knew it.

Not sure exactly how credible LJ is, but he said that during a phone interview he had on Hockey Central at Noon back in October/November 2012.

98. Mike D says:

Again, I don’t know if what Louis Jean said is correct, just passing along what he told Sportsnet that day as I happened to be watching HC @ Noon.

We were all told that Gomer was “good in the room”. Maybe it was false the whole time, or maybe he was and it changed at some point. Maybe Louis Jean was wrong and Gomer was still liked? No way for us to really know. Louis Jean seems pretty credible but I don’t follow him enough because he does a lot of his stuff in french and I unfortunately can’t quite understand everything. This interview on Sportsnet was in english obviously so there was no mistaking what he was saying.

99. Loonie says:

With good reason. Subban’s had two excellent seasons with the Habs and got crapped on.

Pacioretty and Price got big contract extensions while Subban was pushed to the back burner. All three were RFA.

This is business and if today’s news teaches players anything it’s that they should extract as much value from their contracts as possible.

Hopefully a deal gets done soon or Bergevin might just find out how valuable Subban is the hard way.

100. Mike D says:

I wouldn’t say I’m worried, but it bothers me that it isn’t done yet. I want to keep PK, but I also want the team to be firm in how it approaches player contracts. Price, Pacs, Pleks, Gorges, all took bridge contracts before getting their long extensions so PK should fall in line too. If he’s part of the core group, he needs to lead by example with them that this is how it works here. Mind you, Price and Pleks were coming off bad seasons, and Gorges and Pacs were coming off of injuries, but still.

The fact it’s not done yet doesn’t exactly help with the “PK has a big head” notion that many people have. I don’t think he does, and Ian who actually got to know him as a junior has also spoke highly of him as a person, but again, makes you wonder why it’s not signed yet.

There are comparables out there that this should be an easy enough contract to hammer out, but maybe PK is asking too much or the Habs are offering too little.

Last night, Glen Sather took a hardline approach with Del Zotto. It’s reported that he said, ‘We have an offer on the table which we believe to be fair. You have until 10AM tomorrow morning to decide.” Early this morning, it’s confirmed Del Zotto signed the deal which is 2 years at 2.55mil per season.

101. Andy and the habs says:

I was listening to XM radio NHL sports and this guy was reporting Gomez being sent home and kept saying “will be paid 7.3mn to stay home” and I was saying to the radio “you don’t know what your talking about, he is being paid 5.5mn”. Do I have to repeat myself?

102. likehoy says:

yes.. it’s – $900,000

so gomez woulda been 7.3 – .9 = 6.4 cap hit.

103. Chris says:

What you said.

I used to have such a nice handle on the old CBA…now I have to go out and re-learn this infernal new one! :)

104. tagomagotexas says:

not woulda. technically he’s being assigned to hamilton, he’s just not going. his cap hit remains 6.4.

105. Loonie says:

This is business not arrogance. Subban owes nothing contractually to the Habs and doesn’t need to take a bad deal just because others may have in my opinion.

Bergevin conceded in his Presser (in French) that they shopped Gomez around but that the attempt proved fruitless.

107. B says:

Price and Pacioretty are on their 3rd contracts (both signed reasonable 2 yr second contracts). Subban is negotiating his 2nd contract. I don’t think they are crapping on Subban by wanting to treat his 2nd contract like they have those others.

–Go Habs Go!–

108. B says:

I believe his salary is pro-rated this season and he is only getting 57% (less than the 66.6% it would have cost to buy him out last summer).

–Go Habs Go!–