AUDIO: Habs trade Diaz to Canucks for Weise

• AUDIO: Dale Weise teleconference

The Canadiens traded defenceman Raphael Diaz to the Vancouver Canucks on Monday for right-winger Dale Weise.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Weise has three goals and nine assists in 44 games this season with the Canucks. Weise was selected in the fourth round (111th overall) in the 2008 NHL entry draft by the New York Rangers.

Weise said on a conference call from Detroit – where the Canucks were to play the Red Wings Monday night – that he hopes to bring a physical presence to the Canadiens. He added that he’s a good skater and works hard.

The Winnipeg native will wear No. 22 with the Canadiens.

Diaz, who will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, had been a healthy scratch for the last seven games, his spot on the roster taken by Nathan Beaulieu.

“I knew (Beaulieu was) a good player, but I didn’t think it meant I was going to be traded right away,” Diaz said in a conference call. “As a player, you want to work hard for the organization. Other things you cannot control. That’s the way the business is. I really appreciate the opportunity that Montreal gave me, but I haven’t played in the last two weeks and you want to be able to help your team.”

The Canadiens signed Diaz, a 28-year-old puck-moving defenceman from Switzerland, as an undrafted free agent in 2011. He had 11 points – all assists – in 46 games this season with the Canadiens.

The Canucks play the Canadiens Thursday night at the Bell Centre.

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said in a press release that Weise is a “winger with a physical style of play who brings additional toughness and grit to our group of forwards.”

A Winnipeg native, Weise has played 162 regular-season games in the National Hockey League and posted totals of 10-16-26.

The Canadiens also announced on Monday that Christian Thomas has been returned to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs to make room for Weise.

Weise will take part in Tuesday’s morning skate in Brossard before the Canadiens face the Calgary Flames Tuesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

(Photo by Jonathan Hayward/The Canadian Press)

Habs acquire Weise from Canucks, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Enter Diaz as Tortortella hits reset button with Canucks, Vancouver Province

Canadiens acquire Weise from Canucks, Canadiens.com

Canadiens assign Thomas to Bulldogs, hamiltonbulldogs.com

1. 25 while im alive says:

Parenteau, O’Riliey . But who do we give up.

2. 25 while im alive says:

Who is MB targeting on the avs?

3. GL says:

Bringing in young guys is fine but are they any good. Young or old if they’re no good it won’t help. Talent is what we need. Guys that can put the puck in the net that’s how you win games it’s not all about defense. I think our defense is pretty good but when we have a goal scored against us. We have a hard time getting it back. We are one of the lowest scoring teams in the eastern conference and that is not gonna help us against the strong western conference. Good example. Edmonton is a last place team in the western conference and they scored more Goals than us. Just saying.

Question!
    Another snow storm coming here tonight, so we are heading to the Marriot Hotel at the airport. Before flying out next day.
    Where is there a bar or some place around there to watch the game tonight on RDS or another feed????

5. Phil C says:

I hope we see more of this out of Weise:

6. Mattyleg says:

I’m just a little disappointed that we didn’t pick up someone with a bigger chin.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. krob1000 says:

Why is everyone pigeonholing Weise as a 4th line plug? HE has shown he can score at the junior level…he scored in the AHL at a better rate than pretty well every Hab forward, he has size and he scored 12 points in 7 min/game in Van…better than Bourque, Prust, White, MOen, Parros,etc…..he is a big body and sometimes they take time…his stats are very similar to BRyan Bickell type of guy. The Habs if they are smart are looking at this guy and are taking a flyer on a possibly closer to ready Crisp/Mccaroon/NEvins hope….they should stick him right into a top role and see what he can do….I like the gamble. Theree is plenty of evidence to suggest this guy is underused in Van and has far better potential to fil a big guy top nine role than most guys in the Habs system and heck even on teh club right now. Timing is everything and right now he potentially has a shot to get the chance he has always coveted if MT looks to balance things out and finally mixes thing up at some point. He will like ystart on the 4th to quickly assess but from there he should get a shot to see what he brings offensively…because he has shown in the past he deserves that shot IMO…Torts is the only NHl coach he has ever had and Torts appears jealous that a big guy like that doesn;t use his size…I would bet Torts would have given anything to have had ese’s frame and skillset….probably a little personal strife there.

• Chuck says:

And let’s not forget that he has speed to burn. Hopefully Therrien properly uses that asset.

• krob1000 says:

This is why I would like to see him play opposite Patches….I am very against having Gallagher on that line with Dd and Patches..and this could be the ticket to get him off of therre and spread the offense out. If he is willing to go to the net this could be a steal…that will be the key…team needs another guy willing to take the abuse and it would be in the teams best interest to have Gallagher in a role where he focusses on the net area and isn’t also the default puck retrieval guy no matter where on the ice it is…..Dd and Patches should pay half of his salary..it is frustrating sometiems watching Gallgerh be the only man ont he forecheck. I will reluctantly credit DD for being better of late and pursuing more than in the past but Gallagher is being beaten up and his value being depreciated faster than necessary by having him take the lumps he does.

I’m with you.

Truth is, he might just be a fourth liner. But, let’s not cast that mold just yet. Give the kid a chance. Maybe he has upside. A poor Bryan Bickell? Maybe Steve Begin? Somewhere in between? I don’t know. He is 25, give him a fair audition.

Lastly, he might find more success in the eastern conference. I couldn’t imagine playing out west and crashing with San Jose, Anaheim, St Louis, etc. The eastern conference will provide a new opportunity. It’s a gamble, but sometimes it pays off.

• krob1000 says:

IF he is a 4th liner than so be it…he appears to be a good one..nive to have a 4th liner who can score…with teh center logjam he may find himself in a 4th line role with BRiere as his center…could be good for him. I like the gamble…it is like sticking Crisp/Mccarron.Nevins or someone like that in a time Machine and trying him out now…which is all a draft pick would have done…except he is ready now to see what he is…great gamble if you have to move him Diaz. I was still in hte Diaz camp…and would have liked the team to have moved Gorges contract but if this is the deal then I like waht they targeted…a sure fuire NHLer with some possible upside ina body type and at a postion teh team is lacking his type of player at…well calculated risk…whether it plays out the way we like only time will ttell but from all the info I can read I see the gamble as a high probablity of being a good deal with a chance of it being a steal.

• Phil C says:

I like the gamble too, it’s about the only way to get players like that who are big AND fast other than drafting them. As you mentioned below, he would potentially be a good fit on the Pacioretty-DD line, clearing the way for reuniting the EGG line and the potential for the elusive two scoring lines. DD with two 220lbs wingers with speed could be a lot to handle, on paper anyways.

I think GMs have to take gambles like this to really succeed, especially since losing a pending UFA is not exactly betting the farm. Low risk, high reward type gambles. Pollock used to deal guys like Diaz all the time trying to land a high draft pick via an “option to swap 1st round draft picks” trade. Everyone remembers him getting the 1st overall picks, but many times he got nothing in return when his option became worthless when the Habs finished lower in the standings. A good GM has to have a little bit of risk taking in his DNA.

• montreal ace says:

I think your right on about this trade, I’m expecting some good things from this guy

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

I’ll be happy if he fills out the 4th line, which hasn’t been great this year. Whitey’s absence has a lot to do with that. Once he’s back, he, the new guy, and Moen, should finally give us the energy line we sorely need.

• krob1000 says:

I think that is worst case scenario which means it is already a win IMO…a guy who teh team isn;t using (although I was a Diaz fan)….and at the minimimum a 4th line upgrade and potentially more

• Chris says:

Rob: His junior numbers were actually pretty average. Compare these numbers at 19 years old in the WHL:

Dale Weise: 53 GP, 29 G, 51 PTS, +8, 84 PIM
      Kyle Chipchura: 59 GP, 21 G, 55 PTS, -7, 81 PIM
      Ryan White: 68 GP, 28 G, 72 PTS, +24, 98 PIM

Here are some other recent Habs plugs in their 19 year old year in the CHL:

Tom Pyatt: 58 GP, 43 G, 81 PTS, +33, 18 PIM (OHL)
      Benoit Pouliot: 51 GP, 35 G, 65 PTS, +23, 141 PIM (OHL)
      Maxim Lapierre: 69 GP, 25 G, 52 PTS, -10, 139 PIM (QMJHL)
      Tom Kostopoulos: 66 GP, 27 G, 87 PTS, +20, 114 PIM (OHL)

I think you get the point. Any guy that makes the NHL can usually put up some pretty good numbers in the CHL.

Tom Kostopoulos also had good AHL numbers at the same age as Weise, but he just never really managed to parlay that into much of an NHL career. I hope you are right, that he is another Bryan Bickell in the making (although Bickell’s star has really fallen since the playoffs). My worry is that he is just another low-production forward with limited NHL offensive skills on a team that is already chock-full of that type of player. Moen, White, Prust and Weise are all basically the same player: hard workers, decent skaters, defensively responsible, no hands.

• krob1000 says:

I would be happy with a Lapierre or Pouliot. I think he has more offense though and already shown he is more offensive then White. Kosto is fine too….if ends up being that then so be it…that is what is expected and that is an upgrade…but what I am suggesting is since the team is clearly taking the approach of drafting a bunch of players of his ilk in hopes one works out I like the idea of picking one up with a near ripening date…maybe it works out maybe it doesn’t…but it is a great gamble IMO. IF they can get a big guy to improve on PRust, Moen or Bourque at a fraction of the cost in his prime years who also adds some size and grit is it not already a win? I am suggesting they try to get more out of him then a an energy guy..if it doesn’t pan out…oh well you still have a an improvement in the bottom end of the forwards. I think he is definitely worth trying to find some chemistry with a more skilled line though. If he is willing to go tot he net…he could carve himself out quite a role in Montreal because the current lineup has exactly NOONE over 5’9″ who will go to the net and stay there.

8. knob says:

Glad for Diaz that he gets a change of scenery but I wish the Habs would have got a prospect or draft pick instead. I will reserve judgment on the player we received until I see him play.

My knee jerk reaction is that this leaves Therrien no choice but to use Moen in a top nine role, when personally, I think that Moen is a fourth line guy at best with good penalty killing skills. Moen in a top nine role just reduces the offensive production of any line he is on. The same can be said for Prust playing a top nine role.

• Phil C says:

Weise is only 25 years, and it is not uncommon for power forward type players to take a little longer to develop. I think the Habs are swinging for the fence here hoping that Weise turns into something more than a 4th liner and has the added benefit of a more immediate return. Otherwise I would agree with you because if he is only a 4th line crasher, players like that can be had on waivers for nothing, which is how Vancouver got him in the first place.

I’m also concerned that if he butted heads with Torts, I can’t see how he will be best buds with Therrien.

9. adamkennelly says:

Habs have too many forwards now – not enough good ones but too many total.

they could use an upgrade on D as well.

gonna be tough to pull off I would think.

4th line should be White, Weiss and Prust – with Parros suiting up against the tougher teams (like he should have been against the Peg)…

• DipsyDoodler says:

Normally I wouldn’t point this out, but for someone who thinks Habs management is stupid, and people who disagree with him clueless about the game of hockey, and who pretends to know a lot about this new player, you might want to spell the guy’s name correctly. It’s right there in the headline.

• habsfan55 says:

what they need is a Corson type player….

habs fan but will cheer for any team that beats the leafs

10. Phil C says:

I think Diaz will be a good fit in Vancouver, at least until Bieksa is healthy. Elder or Garrison are a much better fit to play with Diaz than any defenseman with the Habs. It will be interesting to watch him play on Thursday.

11. gmur says:

It’s been a while since we could put out a third line like

Prust, Eller and Weise.

…Three guys in their twenties who have size and some scoring ability. That’s a very good third line for the playoffs.

Fourth line

Bournival, Moen, White (Parros when neeeded)

This is also a good line. They’ll do the job in terms of energy and the occasional goal. No one will outskate them, that’s for sure… and I mean when Parros isn’t playing, of course.

Now we have to get that kind of size for first and second line players to help out Pacioretty, Gallagher, etc. Bourque should be the player to do that, but he’s busy napping between shifts.

• Chris says:

Honestly, that is a terrible line. You have two fourth-liners elevated to a role that doesn’t suit their game.

A great example of this was Maxim Lapierre. He was an excellent fourth-line guy. But on the third line, he was mediocre, at best.

Prust and Weise simply don’t have much in the way of NHL scoring ability. Eller is a playmaker, so playing with those two guys would not help him break out of his funk whatsoever.

When White comes back, Bournival will be sent down barring another trade. The Habs can only have 23 men on the roster, and Bournival is the only realistic player to be sent down.

• Habfan17 says:

I would respectfully disagree to a point. I think Weise with Eller on the 3rd line would be strong. Bash posted a link below that enlightened me to what Weise brinngs to the table. I would have Bournival on the left side though, Bournival on the 4th line is a waste. I would prefer, Moen, White, Prust/Parros

Habfan17

• Chris says:

I’ve watched a number of Canucks games over the past few years, as they are my second favourite team and the favourite team of one of my close friends. Weise has been, more often than not, completely invisible. Utterly forgettable. You get the point. :)

Maybe he surprises in Montreal. But the knock on Weise is that he thinks he is a skill player and doesn’t enjoy being called upon to be a checker. The problem is that his skill has never really manifested itself at the NHL level.

• Sportfan says:

So basically we got a Diaz type forward invisible :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Habfan17 says:

I think you should read the article that Bash posted the link to, below. Sometimes teams don’t use players properly or give them the opportunity to shine. By all accounts, Weise is strong defensively, goes hard to the net, like to hit, bot he isn’t really a fighter. He has been able to put up points when given the chance.

Habfan17

• krob1000 says:

Looking at his stats (he is outscoring Boruque, Prust, Moen, Bournival(tied), whtie, Parros,etc)…and doing this while only playing 7 mins per game…to me that sounds like he does have more potentail…he is the type of guy I owuld like to see move to DD/Patch lne and he can do the heavy lifting in the corners and see if there is a skill game in there…his career stats in other leagues project him to ezasily be a third liner…not sure why he never gets a chance? I thinkt he Torts thing may be a facotr (he was his coach in both places)…he is probably a guy who has a ceiling somewhere between a guy like Moen and a guy like Bouruqe in his better years. I thinkhe deserves a shot ina scoring/banging role…is we plug him onpt the fourth he will not generate offense…very few guys can do that….even in a third line role a la Eller …very difficult in the NHL unless you have three underrated 3rd liners to put up good numbers, factor in the HAbs system and it is even more difficult. .
            The best use of him woulkd be to slot him in with DD/Ptches and allow Gallagher to slide down to play with Eller and that could result in a more balanced atttack…won;t ahppen but that wouldbe the best bet IMO. IF you look at his history he has better or comparable AHL numbers than virtually ANY Hab had and he did so at a younger age…and then he was cast in a 4th line role…I think Bourque is the best comparison…but hopefully a little more nasty. I would take another Bourqe at a third of the price and move the real Bourque get ana sset backa nd save the 2 mill.

• monmick says:

Maybe he will be enrolled in the MT Better Person Development Program…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Yup. Eller could be a good 2nd liner but is an excellent 3rd line centerman. Prust is not a 3rd liner. Weise may become with his speed. Bournival will become an excellent third liner.

I don’t see the Habs sending down Bournival. Another trade must be coming.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Or, more likely, another injury.

• CJ says:

I’d try Eller with Weise and Bournival.
          White with Prust and Moen
          Chucky with Galley and Pac
          Pleks with Gio and Bourque

Of course, I’d be willing to deal, so the lines are subject to change lol.

• Chris says:

Beaulieu is up right now, and I think the Habs will attempt to bury Drewiskie when he returns from injury rather than send Beaulieu back to Hamilton.

Galchenyuk and White are on the IR, but both are due back soon. Trading Diaz for Weise means that the Habs have two forwards too many, meaning that somebody else has to be traded and/or Bournival sent down. Nobody else can be demoted.

One possibility is that White gets a conditioning stint in Hamilton, which gives them a short reprieve on a second move for a week or two, but Bournival looks like the odd man out barring another injury during the Olympics or another trade.

• CJ says:

I think the games this week will go a long way towards determining next steps. Our schedule, post Olympic break, is brutal. I don’t think it’s for lack of trying to make a deal. Where there’s smoke there’s often fire. I do believe that there was aggressive dialogue with the Av’s and something might yet get done.

Bourque has driven his value into the ground. Briere could be a fit on the right team. DD, I don’t see much there.

Good morning Chris.

Eller has shown flashes, but, at no point in his career, has he ever been a consistent point producer.

Does the possibility exist that Weise has been miscast as a fourth line “role player”? Unlike Eller, Weise has enjoyed consistent offensive production at various stages of his career. Might there be potential that we could help build this kid into a valuable third liner, an upgrade to Bourque?

Bash linked a great article below.

In summary, I’d start him on the third line and give him the opportunity to earn his ice time. Let’s not cast this player into a position, without giving him a fair shake. Food for thought.

• adadi says:

At no point in his career has he had consistent line mates.

• Chris says:

Eller only played one season in the AHL, and he posted very good numbers in that year (18 goals and 57 points in 79 games as a 20 year old playing his first season in North America). At the same age, Weise posted 11 goals and 23 points in 71 games in the AHL.

Weise posted 29 goals and 51 points in 53 games as a 19 year old in the WHL, his best season, which allowed him to get drafted into the NHL a year late. But those are hardly great numbers in the WHL. Ryan White was more productive during his WHL career than Weise was.

I think White and Weise are pretty similar players. Weise’s AHL numbers were a bit better, although part of that can be attributed to that White was playing behind Desharnais and Maxwell while Weise was getting top line minutes due to a crappy team in Hartford.

Weise is fast, but that is about his only NHL-calibre attribute. And as we’ve seen with a guy like Tom Pyatt, speed is only part of the equation.

• krob1000 says:

Last year for the 48 game season he scored 30 points..2 points behind PLeks for team lead in that position ? that is all DD ever did..one year of that! Eller was also leading the way after teh first 20 games this year…then the DD augmentation program began..again.

• CJ says:

I love Eller. I’m simply saying he has not been a consistent point producer.

My roster has no room for DD. I hope I haven’t left anyone with the feeling that I prefer DD to Eller. My original post was meant to suggest that Eller, Weise and Bournival could be a decent third line. It’s a starting point. I just don’t want to see the kid buried on the fourth line and given 3:00 minutes of ice time. Give him a role and guidance. Coach him up. Maybe Chris is right and we have a younger Moen. Heaven forbid we try something unconventional though and actually give the kid a chance.

• gmur says:

Love your understatement. Terrible line? It’s a line that will probably be experimented with sooner than later, given Therrien’s pattern of juggling lines… but if your coaching/gm skills say so…

• adadi says:

Prust is a 4th liner. Nothing more. Scoring woes are partly due to the fact that MT plays Prust where it will not work.

If I want a good laugh I head on over to EOTP. Hilarious. You’d think the Habs just traded Bobby Orr.

13. Bash says:

Interesting…

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

14. boonie says:

Gotta love the Faber quote on HIO’s bumper for the H Show, “Coaches don’t make that much of a difference.”

Phew. Good. Here I was thinking that guys paid multiple millions per year on guaranteed contracts and the evolution of sports from player/coach to full-time position to guys with assistants and advanced scouting who rely on advanced stats to determine player combination and in-game adjustments had some material affect on a game’s outcome.

All of us worried about which coach the Habs would hire or if he (or she) spoke French as their first language.

At the end of the day, it don’t matter. Problem solved.

And, hey, at some point if MT walks away from the job due to boredom, I’ll do it. I’ve never coach a kid’s house league team, but hey according to Faber it don’t matter ’cause they don’t make that much of a difference.

Diaz who?

Any word on Weise playing tonight?

17. CJ says:

Good morning!

We need three wins this week. Looking ahead, when the seclude resumes following the Olympic break we have the Pens and Wings (back to back) Leafs, Ducks, Kings, Coyotes, Sharks – on the road.

Are we buyers or sellers?

On an aside, LA lost again last night and now have 1 win in their previous ten games.

• Habfan17 says:

I believe they should be sellers and I think that winning all 3 games might not be the best thing for the Habs in the long run. I always want them to win, but right now, I want them to be sellers and bring in long term pieces and let the young core take the next step. I do think Galchenyuk should be playing centre when he returns from the injury.

Habfan17

• third generation haber says:

Music to my ears!!!!

Plus 1

j.p. murray

• CJ says:

Good morning. I agree. Regarding Chucky, if my memory serves me the only game he started at centre was against the Blues. I don’t think that we have given him the time and support required to be successful. Hopefully, when he comes back both will be provided.

Ideally, when he comes back, DD is gone.

• JF says:

I agree. The best thing for the Habs would be to fall out of playoff contention, which we could do this week with three losses. Making the playoffs and passing up the opportunity to deal impending free agents and some veterans at the trade deadline would simply prolong the mediocrity we’ve been mired in for twenty years. When the Habs lose a game, I no longer feel the kind of frustration I did even a few weeks ago. Emotionally, I can’t actively want them to lose while I’m watching, but rationally I want them to sink. This makes watching games very conflicting.

• AssInTOheartInTheForum says:

You’re not alone JF.

The rational me and the emotional me are out in the alley battling it out right now. The emotional me will probably win based on passion.

• third generation haber says:

CJ, The biggest win we could get this week would be 3 losses.

I know it’s human-nature to cheer for the team, but after 20 years….

20 years of not trading our assets while they’re still worth something (Markov!), squeaking into the playoffs, getting bounced in the first/second round, and drafting low again is why we are in this mess.

Tanking, for us, wouldn’t raise many eyebrows; we just need to play DD and Briere every game, and give them lots of ice-time.

Losing big time would give MB the mandate to publicly acknowledge how mediocre we are and commit full-on to the rebuild we are so desperately overdue for.

Can anyone remember whether we won our games scheduled this week last year or any other in the past 20??? No chance!!!

I do, however, remember drafting Price (5th overall), and Galchenyuk (3rd overall). Because, that’s where most superstars get drafted.

We need more superstars!!!

j.p. murray

• CJ says:

I agree with your post. I feel very much the exact same way. Looking at the games we have coming back from the Olympic break, I think there is a very real chance we are on the outside of the playoff picture by deadline day.

However, the team continues to do just enough to stay alive.
        8-5-1 in December. 6-6-1 in January. Now 2-1-1 in February.

• Marcusman says:

So when should they have traded Markov?

• third generation haber says:

I would have liked it to happen sooner, but cap issues mean we’ll have to likely wait till the deadline and/or get creative with swallowing some of his cap hit.

The L.A. Kings seem a great destination for Markov.

j.p. murray

• DipsyDoodler says:

Hey 3rd Gen, I never acknowledged your witty self-parody last week, when you wrote: “I’m tired of getting humiliated by our lack of size.”

Thanks for that.

• frontenac1 says:

So, be like the Leafs and miss the playoffs for six years in a row? No thanks amigo, I want the Habs to challenge every game,every year.

• CJ says:

Me too Front. Further, there is nothing about the leafs model I wish to emulate. That said, it’s a matter of managing assets. If the opportunity presents itself to trade away UFA’s and bring in future assets, who are younger and cheaper, you might find we could take a bigger step forward next season. Food for thought. Cheers, CJ

• frontenac1 says:

Agreed if Habs are out of a playoff spot. If Habs are in, we have to go for it. It’s a new season, sh#t happens.Saludos!

• third generation haber says:

We are not “challenging”; we are not contenders, we haven’t been for 20 years other than a Halakian miracle. We are perennial water-treaders.

The leafs have little to show for their playoff absences, but that’s despite the fact they were gifted so much draft opportunity. It has much more to do with their being managed by an egotistical S$%@head.

Chicago missed the playoffs 6 times in a decade b4 winning 2 cups in 2010 and 2013.
          (2001, 03, 04, 06, 07, 08)

Pittsburgh missed the playoffs 4 times in the same decade b4 winning, what I suspect, will be their first of several cups (2009).
          (2002, 03, 04 ,06)

I doubt their fans are still stinging from the memory of those bad seasons.

j.p. murray

18. --Habs-- says:

Not sure what everyone was expecting for Diaz! He’s a 5-6 D at the best of times! Think of it this way! He’d wouldn’t have made the cut in Boston, Chicago, LA, SJ, Boston or Anaheim! So to get a serviceable 3rd or 4th liner for him with size is a good deal. Beats what the previous GM would have done and that is get a 2nd or 3rd pick for him with a 25 % chance of making it into the NHL. Weise is an NHL starter with a 100 % chance of playing in the league! :)

“Habs” Watch and learn….! Or Not!

• PrashadHabs says:

I think what people don’t like and myself included, is the fact that he didn’t play before he was traded. I don’t believe he had an injury for two weeks straight. They should play him ala Bourque to try and raise his trade value.

• Cal says:

The way Diaz was playing, the only thing he was raising was a white flag.

• Phil C says:

Diaz has been in the league long enough to know what you are getting. Unless the scouts are idiots, Diaz’s trade value would not have changed much even if he was playing. Maybe if he had a good Olympic tournament, his value would go up. But if he got hurt they would get nothing for him, so they took the bird in hand.

• Eddie says:

Also to consider is the risk of injury. Once the Habs decided he would be moved they would not want him injured; any hit to the head could easily bring on another concussion, even a mild one.

• Habfan17 says:

What I find funny is folks in the media that commented that the Habs are too small and don’t have enough depth on defence, are the ones saying that the Habs gave up a top 4 defenceman for a 4th line player. They are so anti Hab it is ridiculous!

Habfan17

• third generation haber says:

Plus 1

He’s also only 25, only an RFA, manageable cap-hit.

And, when u are trying to develop young talent, u may as well accept that u are not a cup-contender and surround them with the protection they need to do their jobs “safely”.

j.p. murray

19. Habfan10912 says:

Diaz has been a disappointment to me this season. When Emelin returned I fully expected Diaz to thrive in a more limited role. It didn’t happen and he wasn’t able to crack into the starting 6 in what has become a pretty poor performing unit.

The trade is kind of a “meh” trade for me. The team needs to get bigger up the middle and the solution very well may be in house with one move.

DD is a wonderfully gifted offensive player when given room. He’s just to dang small to play a top line role on a good team. When Galchenyuk returns from his injury its time he be given that role. The future of this team centers (see what I did there) around #27. It’s time the club challenged him and allow him to develop into the #1 center this team has desperately needed for years.

We can all argue till the cows come home about who the #2 and #3 centers should be but to me the change that will signal that we’ve begun to turn the corner is to move Galchenyuk into the #1 center role.

• Lafleurguy says:

Spectacular. The butterfly has evolved. Recent glovework by Fleury, Carey, Jonathan Bernier bring back memories of Rogatien Vachon and Gerry Desjardins. Mornin’ J.

“Bends but won’t break”

• CJ says:

Good morning. It was a great save!

On an aside, is there a more inconsistent goaltender in the league then Craig Anderson? He stops 46/48 shots last night, but stunk in Toronto. He is having a ying and yang season of epic proportions.

20. Captain aHab says:

I can’t wait for Vancouver to flip Diaz and a 4th rounder to Pittsburgh for Crosby, based on his Corsick and FengShui numbers.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

21. Propwash says:

So the Habs have a 2 point cushion for the playoffs. Time to panic.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

22. Laramy87 says:

So i saw the Kerry Fraser did a column on the Gallagher incident at the end of yesterdays game. And stupidly enough i read the comments
    I got so annoyed i had to respond. I live in Toronto and the reason i hate the leafs so much is because of their fans. And reading those comments only made me realize how much i cant stand them.
    Leaf fans watch 4 or 5 habs game a year and think they are experts on everything. Calling gallagher a diver and all he does is whack goalies and crash nets. They dont understand the amount of abuse he takes and gets up and does it again. He is 5’9 plays much bigger.
    Not to mention Kerr Frasers column. Wow total bias agaisnt the habs. Regardless of how a player plays, if there is a penalty you need to call it. An infraction is an infraction. It was total bush league and so was Frasers comments.

• Marc10 says:

I usually agree with Fraser (since he retired anyway…) But not this time. Gally played it perfectly. They let Bogosian go with a blatant cross-check (maybe the ref thought he embellished on the play), but then when he smartly exited through Montoya’s crease (completely legally btw), Montoya elbowed him twice and Bogosian came back with another shot. Finally he flopped around dramatically and got interfered with one more time by the other D… I counted at least 3 hits to his head.

Clearly Gally was trying to draw a call. By Montoya’s second elbow… I thought he had pulled it off.

Can you imagine how fast the ref would have put his hand up if either Price or PK had done any of those things. The refs suck in this league.

23. boonie says:

Thankfully, we’ve sucked at that right time. We’re 3-6-1 in our last 10. Everyone else fighting for a playoff has sucked just about as much.

Of all the teams in the Eastern Conference outside the top three in their division, only Carolina has won more than five games in their last 10 (they’re 6-4). The only other team with more than four wins is Detroit (5-3-2).

24. JohnBellyful says:

[taps foot, looks at watch, sighs]
    That’s it, I’m off to bed. Hung around for 90 minutes waiting for my comment to be moderated. No such luck.
    Here’s the condensed version so it wasn’t a complete waste of my time (although it was intended to be a complete waste of yours):

Nuclear waste … with lime juice … has no place … slackjawed idiots … Hoo hah! … tax deductions … soft, gentle breeze … porcupine suit … Desharnais.

(Trust me, it made a lot of good sense the first time it was submitted.)

• johnnylarue says:

I think it’s safe to say that’s the first time in history the words “porcupine suit” and “Desharnais” have appeared in a single line of text, but I suspect it might not be the last.

• Lafleurguy says:

Guessin’ the “hoo hah” is a “Scent of a Woman” reference. Ah, the great chuckles your wannabe post could have been. Hoo Hwah!

“Bends but won’t break”

25. adadi says:

Hard to believe but TSN has moved up the Habs to 13th in its power ranking. Ridiculous. Seems to me the should at best in the low 20s.

26. Luke says:

So if Weise has 3 goals already, he only needs 91 more to make this season not a total waste.

• johnnylarue says:

This is officially his big chance to turn things around. If he can just up his scoring pace to a little over 3 goals per game, he’s at least got a shot at making this otherwise miserable season respectable.

27. third generation haber says:

He’s probably not available, but MB should offer his left nut in a package (pardon the pun) for Bordeleau.

j.p. murray

28. Mattyleg says:

Just finished bottling 38 500ml bottles of homebrew brown ale.

G/f gave me a daylong course with a brewer, made the beer from scratch in his basement with his $10,000+ setup, with three other guys. Really cool day.

That was just over a week ago, and after primary and secondary fermenting, it was bottling time tonight. Went off without a hitch, took about 2.5hrs including cleaning time, but I’m knackered now.

Looking forward to B-Day in about a month’s time. I can drink it in 2 weeks, but I’d rather wait.

What’s everyone been talking about?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

29. habs001 says:

The Habs plan right now is to make the playoffs and try to win 2-1 type games…Posters seem to blame everything for this team not scoring accept the real truth..LACK OF SCORING TALENT….Right now the only forward not on pace to their goal expectation is Borque…

• The_Truth says:

I agree. People look for any excuse to say the Habs are underperforming, when in fact they are right about where they should be. Silly comments about Bournival (which he has been the last few games) or Eller playing in the top six (back at center and still doing nothing), wanting Emelin to the other side, Playing PK more mins etc. will not make one bit of difference. Best players are small and bigger players don’t play that way and/or lack talent.

The hard truth is, the team is below average talent wise offensively and just don’t have the team physicality or size to be better than they are. Look at the line-up, it’s very average.

The only way they can win is by playing a tight team defensive style and have Price be on top of his game, and even then they can only be perfect for so long.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

You´re so wrong again, it´s not even funny.

– Bournival could play a much bigger role
        – Eller had 30 points in 46 games last season and was easily one of our three best forwards before the playoffs.
        – Emelin has always been a LD. He´s passing as well as his positioning and hitting are better there.

We have a fantastic head scout, two great players and a dozen good/decent ones. Unfortunately our coaching and management are below average.

30. DipsyDoodler says:

Earlier I noted that Garth Snow might have traded away the #3 overall pick for nothing.

He also traded the 2010 #5 pick, 21 yr old 6’2″ Niño Niederreiter, for a nonentity by the name of Cal Clutterbuck. Niederreiter looks to become a top 6 attacker.

What a mess!

31. frankcasting says:

Good trade, gotta hand it to Bergie for this one. We still can’t score, but some size/toughness is never a bad addition.

Loving the Habs since 1965

32. johnnylarue says:

Truth is, I’m finding it really difficult to decide how I feel about this trade without Timo’s input…

33. sc says:

Ok move. Anyone read Kerry frasers latest come on ref? He needs a slap in the face. Moron. Happy you’re retired old fool. Saying Gallagher initiated contact with Montoya… Ahahahahahahahaa. I guess I was watching a different game

34. JohnBellyful says:

I’ve been right there with MB in having no desire to trade away the team’s future for rental players whose skills offered no guarantee of a long playoff run. So, ordinarily, I would have greeted today’s transaction with equanimity, seeing as it involved players of no great consequence.
    But now I’m having second thoughts about this whole go-slow approach to rebuilding the team, to the point I think MB needs to go all out and engineer a monstrous trade, one that bets the Canadiens’ future on an all-out bid to win the Cup this year.
    Yeah, this year.
    I have no idea what that deal would involve but I do know it has to be done, and done quickly.
    Why the urgency? The window of opportunity is closing fast, my friends, faster than any five-year rebuild could hope to slip through before it shuts tight – forever.
    Here are five reasons why Montreal needs to act now:

20 year Stanley Cup drought pales in comparison

Is there a Plan Bee?

Too bad there’s no salary cap

A rising tide lifts all boats … and sinks a few islands

The nutbar factor

35. munch17 says:

Here’s something interesting.

Dale Weise – big guy – 4th liner. 3 goals 9 assists. 44 games
    1 point per 28:27 minutes played.

David Desharnais – first line , PP++ 8 goals – 19 assists 27 points – 53 games.
    1 point per 32;43 min played

36. Stevie.Ray says:

The most interesting story line surrounding Weise will be how he fits the role he is put in.

He’s a fringe nhler who was put in a physical role in VAN, but he isn’t overly physical and actually considers himself a skill player. Bergevin appears to believe that Weise will play a physical role, but the reason VAN traded him was because he butted heads with Torts because he wasn’t playing that role.

37. Phil C says:

I always liked Diaz and thought he was very undervalued by fans, but it is clear he did not fit well on this roster nor factored into their future plans.

I thought management handled the Diaz situation well. They made sure Beaulieu was ready for a starting role, then made sure they got something for a pending UFA rather than lose him for nothing.

Weise seems like a good 4th liner to me. I wonder where he will fit in when White and Galchenyuk are healthy? Seems like they have too many 4th liners now. Maybe another move coming. Kinda funny since they had no one to play on the fourth line in 2011.

38. thehabsfan29 says:

Bourque + Pick or prospect for Vrbata?

39. Eddie says:

The problem for me is we are winning just enough to keep management from making the tougher decisions. They will not do anything to shake the tree unless they are forced to.

When you run a business that makes a lot of money there’s no urgency for management to take risks.

While Colorado develops Mackinnon at the center position, we have Galchenyuk on the wing.

Colorado feels the urgency, but we don’t.

Not even our fans feel the urgency. I’m not talking about panic moves.

40. Cal says:

Hall and Oates’ take on THE TRADE!

41. montreal ace says:

The only people that are going to miss Diaz, are people he owes money to. Weise 6-2 likes to hit, great skater, and will defend himself, I hope the brass seen that he has potential, to be more than he has shown.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“The only people that are going to miss Diaz, are people he owes money to”…LMFAO. Second best line today after the Queen of England line….LOL.

• Chris says:

I have a sneaky suspicion that Weise is going to be a much less talented version of Rene Bourque.

• CJ says:

Talented yes. I’d venture a guess that not many players in our conference have the combination of talent and size of Bourque. At various stages he has proven he can fight, hit, skate and score.

Unfortunately he lacks the want and desire to put it together on a consistent basis. If you put Gally’s engine into Bourque’s body you would have a perennial All Star and every four years an Olympian.

So yeah, Weise doesn’t have the same talent as Bourque, skating aside. If the kid has the desire, then we can help build the rest. It’s no longer enough to just show up. We need guys who willing to go all out.

Sorry for the rant, but I don’t respect players who simply go through the motions.

42. Eddie says:

So you think Bergevin is convinced he can win a Cup one day with Desharnais as his number one offensive center?

If you answer yes, then I hope we get a new GM soon because both of you are wrong.

If you answered no, then the top priority should be to start the ball rolling and get Galchenyuk as much experience at the center position as soon as possible.

The sooner Galchenyuk emerges as a true number one, the sooner we have one of the most important pieces in place to compete for a Cup.

Ok, where have I gone wrong?

• CJ says:

No chance we take a step forward with DD, let alone win a cup.

The sooner we make these difficult decisions and part company with players who are not part of the future the further ahead we will be.

• Mike D says:

I agree with that philosophy. Still not sold on trading Marky though. Or Pleks either.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• scarboro_habitant says:

markov isnt going to be part of the future lol..hes 35-36. trade him and pleks while theres still value there. pleks will be over 35 by the time the habs are ready to make a serious run.

• sheds88 says:

trading plex is a mistake, a single player can’t replace what he brings……maybe patrice bergeron. unless it’s PB37….no thank you!

• Eddie says:

And you think Bergevin agrees with you CJ? Because I don’t, especially not when it comes to Desharnais.

• CJ says:

I do, but I also recognize that he answers to both an owner and a rabid fan base. As much as I want to build for the future, I recognize how much Canadiens fans the world over would not accept this approach.

Look at this forum. I’ve suggested trading Markov and folks here think I’m crazy. We are destined for mediocrity if we can’t get past this small scale thought process. The bigger picture is in everyone’s best interest.

It is going to take a leadership team with major resolve to do this right. Is Bergevin the guy? We will find out soon enough. As much as I want to win now, I’m willing to endure a step backwards if it means a leap forward in the future.

• Mike D says:

I haven’t seen anyone call you crazy for floating the idea of trading Markov. I disagree with the idea but I understand your POV and agree it has merit.

That said, saying that people who would prefer to keep Markov are guilty of having a “small scale thought process” is kinda disrespectful. Very different from the tone you had with me when we had a pleasant debate about that a couple weeks ago.

Markov isn’t part of the future but he can still have a positive impact on a young Subban and Beaulieu….and Emelin as well even though his role is different. All of which are part of the future. Markov is a true professional who still brings a positive impact when he plays. Everyone can learn from that.

– Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• CJ says:

Just to clarify, because I feel like my original post was lost in translation, what I’m suggesting is that keeping Markov benefits us in the short term. Trading him benefits the organization in the long run.

If you favor keeping Makov, it doesn’t make you wrong. It suggests you see the short term benefit. Suggesting that Markov be moved is also not wrong. It suggests that the long term potential outweighs the short term benefit.

Two distinctly different ideologies. Again, I’m no expert. Mine is simply an opinion. I will however offer a sincere apology as my intent was not to offend anyone, it was to validate a previous comment which suggested that the GM would meet resistance no matter what course of action he chooses. Cheers, CJ

• punkster says:

MT will not play Chucky at centre until he tries Eller back at that position…and he won’t do that until Pleks, Briere, White, Leblanc, Dumont , St Pierre and Nattinen are stricken with the flu all on the same day.

And even then he’ll triple shift DD for 85% of the face offs.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
      but…
      ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• Marc10 says:

Of course DD is a number one center because he’s the only center that plays well with Max (you’d think they would have found Max another center by now if that wasn’t the case).

Pleky is a solid number 2 and Eller and DD and Danny B (at this stage in his career) are all number 3s. DD is actually the only one of our number 3 centers that’s producing to his paycheck, but he wears the goat horns.

Bottom line is we need a first line center, but Chucky hasn’t proven he’s ready for that role. He’s still a baby. The last thing you want to do is rush him into a role where he won’t succeed and you won’t do it at the expense of a playoff birth either (that’s the kind of move that would get a coach fired…)

It’s a waiting game unless we can dig up two no miss wingers for Chucky. We’re not there yet. This team has one scoring winger and three number 3 centers. Same old, same old…

• Mick says:

That’s great!

43. CJ says:

Syracuse wins again. 22-0.

I just finished a great Lincoln biography.

Friends, life is grand.

44. GL says:

Eller in my books at bests a 3rd line center if MB can get someone better let him go.

• Mike D says:

What Eller needs is a real opportunity to showcase what he can do, and with consistent, talented line-mates….AND while playing Center. He’s been with us since 2010 and we have no idea what his real potential is. The EGG line was great earlier this year, but we don’t know if that would have continued because MT gave Gally to DD and Max to “get them going”. Give DD’s spot to Eller and see what happens, or reunite him with Gally and Chucky once the latter is back playing again and see what happens.

I like the first option better because it also gives us a chance to see what DD can do without Max. I suspect it’s a lot less than with him, but at least then it becomes clear. I’d actually like to see that for the rest of the season. We’re not going far this year anyway so may as well get a better evaluation of the players you have and see what your team needs.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• CJ says:

I agree. If DD wasn’t paired with Max I think he’d get exposed. I also think the underlying value in this change is it will help Max realize he doesn’t need DD to succeed.

• Mick says:

He could have as many as Davey if he had the chance.

45. Mike D says:

Did you guys hear anything about us making a trade today? :-P

LOL, okay I was at work earlier and couldn’t find any time to comment. For the most part, it’s a “much ado about nothing” trade. Neither player has proven to be really impactful for more than a few short stretches here and there.

What IS good about the trade:
    – Diaz’s role had become redundant because of Markov, Subban, and now Beaulieu. Heck even with two of those three, Diaz’s role would be redundant.
    – With Drewiske about to be healthy and Frankie Boo already sitting, we had too many Dmen, even as injury back-up.
    – We trade a small player for a big player which has a two-fold benefit on the size issue.
    – Weise is 2-3 years younger and slightly cheaper. He will also be cheaper to re-sign than Diaz likely would have been. Especially because he is RFA where as Diaz would have been a UFA.
    – Weise brings both grit and speed which is not an overly common combo, especially in his price range.
    – Though not at the NHL level, Weise has produced well in lower Pro leagues in the past and hopefully can become more productive. Not counting on that mind you, but he is only 25.
    – I’d be surprised if Gio is back next year so if nothing else, it gives us a serviceable NHL-calibre RW.
    – Hopefully a fresh start will be beneficial to Weise and he will do what we need him to do (which I think would be to emulate Gallagher’s game in terms of crashing the net and staying there, and being an energy guy who can hopefully regain his production).
    – Trading Diaz has an effect on the whole locker room in that it’s a wake-up call to the other guys that they could be shipped outta town too if they don’t prove their worth, and that the GM has clearly been looking at options.

What’s NOT good about the trade:
    – Diaz is a player that had more value than this in the past. Maybe he’ll never have that value again, or maybe he will, but the fact that he’s had a bad season and was a healthy scratch the past few weeks really lowered his value compare to this time just one year ago. Not really MB’s fault that Diaz hadn’t played better, but I think it would have been wiser to have Diaz in the lineup in hopes he could increase his value before trading him. Not sure how much ‘extra’ a few weeks of good games from Diaz would have gotten in a trade, but it likely wouldn’t have hurt his trade value any more than it’s current level even if he didn’t play that well.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

You’re right. The one complaint fans should have about this deal is that Diaz should have been traded in the summer where his value was higher; especially after the physical shellacking from Ottawa. There is no way the Habs should have gone into the season with such a weak D. MB is at fault here.

• ProHabs says:

They should have traded Diaz before the Ottawa series for Eller’s sake.

• Mike D says:

If MB’s plan was always to move Diaz by the end of this season, then yes, he should have traded him last summer at the latest. His value would have been even higher during last regular season.

I can’t fault MB for not knowing Beaulieu would show he’s NHL-ready (at least since his most recent call-up, but we’ll see if that continues), nor can I fault him for not knowing Diaz would have such a poor season.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

46. thehabsfan29 says:

How about Markov + Thrower (maybe add a pick) for Alzner?

Washington gets a powerplay specialist and a solid prospect

Habs get a very solid defensive defenseman

Thoughts?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Like the idea. Only problem is Alzner is not RH and Washington does not need help on the power play.

• bandaide says:

Thrower? ummm no look him up on youtube rather see someone else thrower can hit and punches like a piston gone wild I cant wait for him next year in Hamilton

• Habs rule says:

We trade Markov , then we spend years trying to find another great setup man. Markov, Thrower and a pick , for a -10 dman , (hows that solid defensively?) So many people , with so many opinions. You know what , like it or not , MB is the GM because you were not even considered! I think Bouillion and Murray were signed so that Tinordi and Beaulieu could get some much needed seasoning in the minors , smart move in my opinion. Its not like those two are dominating the minors. D Drewiski was signed as insurance , not sure what Diaz was signed for , its ok to be small, but you better be tough. If we dump the GM and coach everytime someone on here wants it , we will be in constant transition and never going anywhere. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

47. Habcouver says:

I hope DW22 takes some pressure off Gally as the alternate to crash the crease!

Waiting patiently for #25

• Trackpants says:

I would take even another forward floating by the net with a menacing look on his face at this point… One thing I will say is Gallagers work ethic is not contagious on his line or this team…

=TP

48. frontenac1 says:

Hey Amigos! Anybody else think it’s weird that Torts has Diaz and Weber? This is just plain weird.

49. Trackpants says:

I hope MT and his travelling circus took the day off to draw up new plans for the power play… this weekend was painful to watch with the man advantage.

As the PP goes, so do the Habs.

=TP

50. GL says:

Well at least we got a tough 4th liner Possibly 3rd line. Myself I would try him on the 3rd line with Eller and Bournival if MT is gonna leave Briere with Pleks and Gio. Bourque is playing like a 4th liner that’s where he should be with Moen and Prust.

• johnnylarue says:

Oh don’t worry, I’m sure Therrien will have tried him out at every possible position by, say, the second period of tomorrow night’s game.

(Awkward sexual innuendo not at all intended.)

51. Habitant in Surrey says:

…well, …I guess HIO has had it’s bar-fight for the day

52. Ozmodiar says:

I’ll buy the argument that Diaz is a better all-around player than Murray, but Murray has more of what the Habs need in the size department.

I gotta say, I look forward to a time when the Habs aren’t so fricken’ small that size is such an obvious factor in these decisions.

53. Hobie Hansen says:

“Boo Hoo about Diaz, if he is a top 4 defenseman on any team in the NHL then I am the Queen of England.”

LOL! Line of the night right there by @Trackpants!

54. CHicoHab says:

Ddo- good point

55. Trackpants says:

What’s with playing Price both games this weekend, I get it he is the #1, he is the star of the team… Budja played well against Boston, why not let have a game.

I am not blaming Price but, it seems to me that both goals were a little bit of a mental slip on his part, he could have used a game off??

=TP

56. CHicoHab says:

I think I may remember Diaz more for that suicide pass to Eller than his defense skills.

57. mike3131 says:

This is by no means a perfect trade but clearly negotiations between Bergevin and Diaz were not going well enough for MB to re-sign Diaz for next season. At the same time, the staff wanted to give Beaulieu a chance to show what he’s got and in doing so there wasn’t room in the lineup for Diaz. Unfortunately sitting out caused his trade value to decline slightly and instead of just “letting him walk” after this season, MB turned around and got at least something in return. Again, not a perfect trade, but it makes sense.

58. Trackpants says:

The problems with the Habs begin and end with the PP.
    They score on the PP this weekend they come out of with at least 3 points.

To much dipsy doodling and not enough pucks and drives to the net.

=TP

• db says:

Not to mention the lack of movement of the forwards on the PP… they just stand there waiting for a shot from Subban. We have no game down low, so it’s easy to defend against.

59. CHicoHab says:

What’s wrong with chicken thighs?

60. JF says:

I’m sorry to see Diaz go, but it had become clear over the last couple of weeks that Nathan Beaulieu had taken his spot and that he was no longer in the team’s plans. I wish him the best inn Vancouver. However, I wonder if Bergevin couldn’t have gotten more for him if he’d waited until after the Olympics. Who knows, Diaz may distinguish himself. Or, as some have said, perhaps he could have been part of a package to get us a scoring winger.

As for Dale Weise, I know little about him, but if he’s a good skater and uses his size, he should add some grit and net presence. But he won’t help address what has been our main problem lately, scoring goals.

61. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

There was no room for Diaz on the Habs anymore. Every team knew MB wanted to trade him. The only leverage MB had is if there were multiple offers for Diaz…doubt that. Habs are fortunate to get a young player with size and speed for a guy they were not going to keep. This packaging stuff is crap. Teams are not stupid anymore. You don’t get filet mignon by offering porks chops and chicken thighs. It is all about either getting the best player in the deal OR trading excesses for needs (like in this case). In the end Diaz did not cost the Habs anything as he was a free agent signing to begin with. Like Front said…Adios.

62. punkster says:

Do you think Darren Dreger knows that Brylcream kind of went out of style 40 years ago?

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

63. mrhabby says:

Man this is a fan base craving for any little bit of positive news….swiss cheese for a plugger…what else does bergie and his team have up there sleeves.

How to guarantee a player makes the NHL Hall of Fame, trade him out of Montreal. I can’t see Diaz not being a first ballot Hall of Famer, just too bad he played well enough to be a healthy scratch.

When did this package thing become so popular, and how come no GM’s in the league use the “package” to help their teams?

To HIO members–
    A message from the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation, to this great HIO community!

Dear Hockey Inside Out members who participated in the Summit weekend in October 2013.

We would like to thank you for your contributions to the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation. Your support will help us in our efforts to provide a better and healthier future for children. We have been able to respond to a resounding need for high-quality sports infrastructure with community, refrigerated and multisport rinks in underprivileged neighbourhoods, allowing for the youth and families in these areas to experience the advantages of an active lifestyle. We encourage you to follow our Facebook page, Twitter (@CHCFondation) and visit our website http://www.fondation.canadiens.com for more information. Special thanks to Ian Cobb who gives his all to organize this wonderful summit year after year!

Thank you for being proud supporters of our youth.
    Ryan Frank

Coordonnateur, Collectes de fonds – Fondation des Canadiens pour l’enfance
    Coordinator, Fundraising – Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation
    Canadiens de Montréal
    Aimez-nous sur Facebook / Like us on Facebook
    Suivez-nous sur Twitter / Follow us on Twitter

67. 416erHabsFan says:

I look at it this way, at least we have a player that might just listen to the coach’s and actually battle in front of the net like Gallager does. It’s obvious not one single forward on our team is willing to put in the work that Gallager does.

68. SlovakHab says:

Seems to me that Vancouver wins this trade hands down.

They get a top-4 defensive RH defenceman that can move the puck and skate, for an average 4th liner.

BTW I’m surprised that so many HIO folks consider Diaz to be an offensive D-man, when in fact he is a good defensive defenceman that is effective at minimizing chances against.

Beaulieu didn’t make him redundant. Diaz should have made Murray and Boullion redundant, unfortunately we have an incompetent coach.

Markov – Subban
    Emelin – Diaz
    Beaulieu – Gorges

We could have had a nice D.

If one of Markov, Subban and Gorges goes down, we are in Buffalo territory.

69. jrshabs1 says:

Hobie summed it up for all to understand.

MOAR BIGGAR!!!!!

70. habfaninottawa says:

At first glance, I don’t mind the trade. A smallish, quick, puck-moving 3rd pairing D-man for a big, fast skating 3rd/4th liner. Personally I would’ve preferred MB package Diaz with someone else and a pick for a top 6 that can score.

• Cal says:

GMs don’t give up top 6 players for Habs rejects, even if you try to package them.

• theflukester says:

When I first heard it I dreaded reading the details. But it’s an ‘ok’ trade. This new guy is bigger, tougher and younger. His points are close to what Diaz was earning.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

71. Cal says:

Beaulieu > Diaz at lower cap hit. He’s younger, better, faster and plays with a physical edge.
    Diaz was very expendable. Getting a RH forward back with some at a lower cap hit who is younger is a no-brainer.
    I wish Diaz luck, but he’ll be back in Switzerland in the fall playing for Zug. That’s what happens to offensive Dmen with no physicality or mean edge to their play.

72. The Teacher says:

Hobie Hansen has it right in his post.