AUDIO: Habs trade Diaz to Canucks for Weise

• AUDIO: Dale Weise teleconference

The Canadiens traded defenceman Raphael Diaz to the Vancouver Canucks on Monday for right-winger Dale Weise.

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Weise has three goals and nine assists in 44 games this season with the Canucks. Weise was selected in the fourth round (111th overall) in the 2008 NHL entry draft by the New York Rangers.

Weise said on a conference call from Detroit – where the Canucks were to play the Red Wings Monday night – that he hopes to bring a physical presence to the Canadiens. He added that he’s a good skater and works hard.

The Winnipeg native will wear No. 22 with the Canadiens.

Diaz, who will become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, had been a healthy scratch for the last seven games, his spot on the roster taken by Nathan Beaulieu.

“I knew (Beaulieu was) a good player, but I didn’t think it meant I was going to be traded right away,” Diaz said in a conference call. “As a player, you want to work hard for the organization. Other things you cannot control. That’s the way the business is. I really appreciate the opportunity that Montreal gave me, but I haven’t played in the last two weeks and you want to be able to help your team.”

The Canadiens signed Diaz, a 28-year-old puck-moving defenceman from Switzerland, as an undrafted free agent in 2011. He had 11 points – all assists – in 46 games this season with the Canadiens.

The Canucks play the Canadiens Thursday night at the Bell Centre.

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said in a press release that Weise is a “winger with a physical style of play who brings additional toughness and grit to our group of forwards.”

A Winnipeg native, Weise has played 162 regular-season games in the National Hockey League and posted totals of 10-16-26.

The Canadiens also announced on Monday that Christian Thomas has been returned to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs to make room for Weise.

Weise will take part in Tuesday’s morning skate in Brossard before the Canadiens face the Calgary Flames Tuesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

(Photo by Jonathan Hayward/The Canadian Press)

Habs acquire Weise from Canucks, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Enter Diaz as Tortortella hits reset button with Canucks, Vancouver Province

Canadiens acquire Weise from Canucks, Canadiens.com

Canadiens assign Thomas to Bulldogs, hamiltonbulldogs.com

1. Bripro says:

It’s a little early to speculate or rant regarding the trade, don’t you think?

Personally, I thought Diaz was pretty talented.
    But I also think he became snake bitten after that disastrous centre-ice suicide feed to Eller last spring.

He hasn’t played the same since. Going even further, I’d say he wasn’t the same after having missed 25 games last year.
    While he was playing and pointing lights out at the beginning of the season, he tailed off completely after that.

Will he ever be the same player, since his concussion? Who knows.
    But I wish him well. He seems like a genuine person.

As for Weise, like many players in the western conference, I’ve heard of him, but rarely heard about him.

I’ll give him a few games, before playing couch-GM on HIO. Hopefully, he’ll pan out as well. Here’s hoping this helps both teams.

2. Texus says:

I’m pretty happy with this trade. Some people are complaining that we traded Diaz when his value was lowest, but at the same time the organization had to be sure they wouldn’t need him and that Beaulieu was ready to step up, and that means trading Diaz at a low value. But still, we’re basically getting a younger Moen type player who’s physical and can fight in return for a crappy, soft ufa defenceman lol. I’ll take that.

3. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

This must be the blockbuster Habs-Nucks trade that Eklund was yammering about a few months ago!

4. twilighthours says:

I know nothing of this Weise. But he sounds like a 4th line plug. Sure we could be tougher, but he doesn’t sound much like a game changer.

Diaz is a very serviceable bottom pair D who had a run of bad games that made him look worse than he is. He’s better at hockey than Murray, for example (although Murray has been OK of late).

It looks mostly like Beaulieu stole Diaz’ job, and I’m totally OK with that. But there still isn’t a solution to the Murray problem (and, to a lesser extent, the Emelin and Gorges problems).

• CJ says:

The solutions reside in Hamilton. Tinordi replaces Murray. Emelin is beginning to show positive signs. This is a tough year for him returning from such a serious injury. I remain confident that he will bounce back. Nobody has been harder on Emelin then I have, but that’s a major injury that you just don’t easily come back from.

5. Reflektor says:

Any early odds on when/why MT benches Weise?

6. lach60 says:

I don’t believe Weise is in Mtl to replace Moen or any other 4th liner for that matter.

He’s young, fast, and a big body. Moen and the other 4th liners bring completely different traits and skills, mainly the ability to play the PK.

I think Weise will be getting 3rd line minutes eventually. I liked the lines someone brought up earlier of putting Weise with DD and Pacioretty and reuniting Eller with Galchenyuk and Gallagher.

Love the trade. Habs lost nothing, and if Weise turns into a decent player it’ll be a steal.

One of those Vancouver articles said Weise is the only player in the league with double digit points in under 10:00/game. Who knows what he could do with an extra 2-3 mins.

7. habs-hampton says:

On another subject, why is MT playing Gorges in 4-on-4 situations while Beaulieu sits? We can’t score 5-on-5, maybe we can do it 4-on-4, but it’s not going to happen with Gorges out there.

And I’m tired of hearing about bringing guys along slowly. NB played 4-on-4 in Hamilton and if you can’t trust him in the NHL, then send him back down.

8. Luke says:

Holy Sweet Mother of Crap!

German Beer Styles: Berliner Weisse

Trade won!

Good job MB.

9. shiram says:

Weise was part of the brawl with the Flames.

Like others, I wish we would have gotten a pick.
    It seems to me Habs lose on value on this one.

10. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I think Diaz will flourish playing against the likes of LA, San Jose, St. Louis and Anaheim….

….

….

11. SmartDog says:

Good-bye Swiss Olympian!
    Hello Plunker from Win-a-pig!

Probably exactly what we need!
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

12. thebonscott says:

very happy diaz is gone, can’t score,can’t hit, can’t fight, i was terrified they were going to sign him. The same people who don’t like this move are the same people who thought yannick weber was a nhl defensemen. good riddance to another wimp.

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

13. Luke says:

Well, here’s one way to look at this trade:

The Bruins and Leafs fans at the office are disappointed the Habs traded away Diaz.

They don’t know who “Weise-y” (Wheeeeeeezy – say it. It’ll catch on) but when informed he is 6’2″and 210lbs they were disappointed.

I wonder if we’ll all look back on this day as fondly as the day the “White Signs” thread hit 3,000 posts.

14. habitual says:

This from the Vancouver Province:

“Weise, 25, has been one of Canucks head coach John Tortorella’s whipping boys this season. His ice-time has declined and he was a healthy scratch twice. The Canucks liked Weise’s physical game, but said they’d like to see him display it more consistently. Weise had three goals and nine assists in 44 games this season.”

Given that Diaz wasn’t a starter on a Habs team with shakey D, low risk trade.

15. Dunboyne Mike says:

Anyway, refusing to allow the intrusion of facts — thanks a million, Eddie — to spoil my scenario, I’ll continue.

Obviously the line would become famous as the White Line. And all three being caucasian, Darren Pang (who is actually descended from Elmer Fudd) could comfortably celebrate them for “playing the white way”.

If the line started leading the team in points, they would of course become the White Star Line. Then everything would be just wonderful.

Until they hit an iceberg.

(Super Bowl + GMT = 2 1/2 hours sleep = final bizarre cerebral outburst before total brain meltdown)

• Eddie says:

Darren Pang holds a little known Guiness Book record as the only goalie in the history of the NHL who could fit under the cross bar standing up on skates.

Hockey DB has him generously listed at 5’5.

(On his knees Saturday, Bishop’s head was over the same cross bar)

• johnnylarue says:

Nicely done.

And for the record, a slightly easier sell than the “KKK” line we saw once or twice when Koivu and the two AKs were still in town…

16. Maritime Ronn says:

Re the negative Diaz comments:

Mea Culpa from here, as there was never a feeling that Diaz was ever going to be a Top 4 on any serious Cup contending team, yet he did serve as a Habs ‘bridge’ purpose while some younger guys ( Beaulieu) were in the apprenticeship process.

The acquisition of Diaz cost the Habs nothing, and his Cap Hit was a bargain basement – never a burden to the Habs ($1.225M/year for 2 years)

Concussions are a VERY serious issue.

Last year, and before his concussion that sidelined him for 2 months, Diaz started the year playing 19 games and had a very impressive stats sheet showing 1 Goal/12 assists/13 points and Plus +5 in those 19 games – playing +20 minutes for the most part.
    Anyone remember that?

Post concussion, he was awful, more timid, and truly shied away from anything that was of a physical nature.
    He was easily considered as THE softest Dman in the NHL…with some proof being last year’s Ottawa playoff series.

Here is only wishing him good luck…yet Habs fans should be content that he is gone from the Habs roster.

• CJ says:

Great post. I also wish Diaz well, but he is NOT the same player he was before his injury.

Something else to consider – the different conferences and styles of play. I can’t see how Diaz is going to survive against the Sharks, Ducks, Blues, Kings, etc.

Likewise, Weise might find his work a little lighter in the east.

Food for thought.

• bwoar says:

I’m positively positive on this trade. One cannot whine about SOFF players on one hand and complain when they are shipped out for tougher ones on the other. I would’ve preferred Sestito from the Canucks but no big deal.

I’ve watched a fair bit of ‘em, as I do each year and will again tonight. Weise is nothing special but he won’t run away from a fight.

Weise can forecheck and isn’t slow. So, perfect RW for Max & DD. Someone to go into the corners where they won’t, fight for the puck where they don’t, and go to the net which they are somewhat familiar with. Beats having the kid currently on that line getting pounded all game, right?

“thoroughbred”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hi Mari. Re Concussion.

“We will never know how serious, or to what degree that played in the Diaz development…if any.”

Alas, poor Diaz. The really scary thing is that he may not know himself how badly he has been affected for another 20 years.

• johnnylarue says:

I feel no heartbreak… only a nagging voice telling me a more experienced GM might have found a way to get a better return for him.

Generally speaking though, I’m a hard sell when it comes to those acquisitions and signings that feel too much like finding an ugly pair of socks (with a bar of soap for extra weight) in the gift box you were SURE contained the Optimus Prime you’d asked for…

17. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Maybe Torts and Weise didn’t exactly see eye to eye?

May have to copy and paste….

24 cups and counting….

18. Ghosts of the Forum says:

The options were let Diaz walk for nothing or try to get something for him. Don’t get the heavy reactions on this one.

Were the Habs really going to sign Diaz? Beaulieau is sticking with the big club. Unless there are significant steps backwards in development, Tinordi and Pateryn will be fighting for spots next year.

There is no way they were going to pay Diaz 2-3 million. And he’s going to be a UFA. So he got what he could for him.

19. Dunboyne Mike says:

Last summer a great poster called Fransakois did much digging around before the trade deadline to try and find interesting options/potential good Habs fits who were under the radar.

I wonder would he have included Weise in that category?

(And does anyone know where Fransakois is? Or is he here with a new handle?)

20. CJ says:

Of course, like or loath this trade, it is inevitable that Diaz scores against Montreal on Thursday night.

21. nickster13 says:

Finally Diaz is gone! I despised him and would have taken a bag of pucks for him. Getting a guy with wheels is way better.
    Diaz:
    1. Couldn’t hit the side of a barn with his shot
    2. Couldn’t fight his way out of a paper bag
    3. For a supposed OFD, couldn’t man the PP for beans.

That is all. I hope the Weisel brings some energy and heart.

22. Eddie says:

There is no way we have the whole story on Weise. He wins their speed contest, he hits, he fights, hard worker, sticks up for teammates, but yet he ends up not playing?

I will allow myself a few weeks to watch Weise and then I will be in a better psitin to judge the trade.

I liked Diaz, but I would much rather see Beaulieu play regularly.

23. TheIndian says:

Good trade for the Habs. People expect miracles without assessing the real value of the player. Diaz was NOT good enough to crack our lineup and that Beaulieu kid has been good for us. Someone pointed out that sometimes when we look at a player’s progress in AHL, it might not be the real picture as it depends on the players surrounding you. Let’s be honest with exception of one or two of our prospects (and they are mostly on smaller side) who have an outside chance of ever making it to big club, our AHL team actually sucks with no talent up front.

I would love to see this Weise kid play with Eller and Bourque (as long as he is here) as he is a natural right hand shot and only right hand shot with some size. We have not seen enough of the Canucks to know how he was used in their lineup but looking at his stats, he has produced at different levels so one has to be positive. And this trade also gives us a look into how our pro scouring department is doing. With exception of Ryder for Cole, this is the second trade done by this management involving players part of their team’s current rosters. Next few days are crucial and big decisions need to be made by MB.
    And I believe this trade also shows that Blunden has most likely played his last game for the Habs.
    With Briere producing in last couple of games, I think he might be the next one to go (hoping for the best)

24. Dunboyne Mike says:

If Leblanc made it and played on a line with White and Weise, would that be the word white in three different languages?

I am suddenly interested.

25. Mondou6 says:

Trade Analysis:

“Healthy Scratch” would be a great name a rock band.

26. TheIndian says:

why I am not able to post here. I do not understand. This is frustrating.

27. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

I’m sure it’s been pointed out, but: Weise is 3″ and 13 lb MOAR hockey player than Diaz, who was living in the press box anyhow. His leaving also frees up a couple of hundred thousand dollars of cap space. Both contracts expire in July. This may be a precursor to another move amongst the forwards. Maybe. Or not. I have no idea. Grow Habs Grow!

28. Plekasuares says:

Good for Diaz and the Canadiens. Like the move!

29. bwoar says:

@ Maritime Ronn

Thanks for the cap clarifications. This is a good move with that in mind.

“thoroughbred”

30. Sportfan says:

A friend of mine and I had a conversation about stats and this is the way I’ve looked at it with hockey.

“The biggest issue in all of this stats stuff is that the stats guys are the new kids and the old kids are the “old school” guys who won’t let them play.

So the Stats kids bring out the Corsi and Fenwick and show everyone these stats that are most of the time right, but are still missing many aspects.
    So they tell all the old school people that they are A stupid, B the stats aren’t for them, but the stats are right and because of that they are wrong, C point out money ball way to much.

So this pisses off the old school kids and then they start to attack any new kids who try to promote the stats, and when a team like the Leafs wins more instead of losing, the old kids start trolling the stats guys. Then it gets all stupid where new and old kids aren’t getting along

There needs to be a point where the old kids can be accepting of the new kids, but the new kids need to get over themselves.
    My stats friend agreed lol.

• Old Bald Bird says:

EOTP presents some very valid posts, but in terms of game analysis, they could usually get the same results without bothering to watch the games.

As you say, balance is the key.

31. jrs10069 says:

Good move, don’t worry about what we do with him, we got rid of Diaz.

Eller is next….watch

jrs10069

32. Odie24 says:

“I give up. Habs fans are painfully stupid. If you think trading a top 4 defenseman for another team’s 14th forward is smart, you’re not.” – Andrew Berkshire on Twitter

I’ve got news for you Andrew. The only one that’s painfully stupid is you, if you think Rafael Diaz is a top 4 D on ANY team in the league.

• Chuck says:

Oh, Andrew…

• Loonie says:

Andrew Berkshire is a little heavy handed with his commentary but for all intents and purposes Raphael Diaz is Johnny Oduya. Would you trade Oduya for Dale Weise instead of a prospect or draft pick?

If you would, Andrew Berkshire would probably be accurate even if rude for calling you some less than flattering names.

• bwoar says:

Whoa whoa whoa

Oduya >> Diaz.

C’mon now.

“thoroughbred”

• Loonie says:

Yeah. Oduya isn’t especially good defensively, he isn’t physical, his shot isn’t overwhelming. He makes a good first pass and is at his best the puck on his stick.

That’s all my opinion of course but if that isn’t what Diaz I don’t know what is.

Oduya’s best offensive output came in around .55 points per game. Diaz isn’t capable of a 45 to 50 point year? He scored just under that pace in his first season and a half of NHL action.

Just sayin.

Disagree completely, I think you are diminishing Oduya greatly to fit your point. A guy with a Cup ring, over 500 games played in the NHL as a dman compared to Diaz? Aside from European i see no comparison.

• Loonie says:

If Diaz had been Chicago’s #6 defenseman last year he’d have a cup ring too Gerald.

500 games are great too. Experience is valuable. But with Diaz you’re offering a player with a tremendous amount of upside considering his age and offensive ability.

What is different about Oduya other than his experience and his having played for a Cup winner that I’m sorry was winning it with or without him?

• bwoar says:

It’s not a bad comparison when you put it that way. I got to see a lot of Oduya for the Jets, and I think he’s a bit more poised than Diaz with the puck. I have a hard time seeing Diaz hit 45-50 points, unless he plays top PP minutes in Van for a year, and even then, he’d have to play with a partner who’s better than him.

It does kinda feel like splitting hairs though, so, you may be right entirely.

“thoroughbred”

• CJ says:

No, Diaz is not capable of a 45-50 point year.

Take a look around the league and see just how few defencemen are on pace for that kind of season.

Sorry to be so direct. I do enjoy reading your posts, even if we disagree.

• Loonie says:

@bwoar

I agree that Oduya is a much more confident player and better for that matter. But I also feel they’re close enough that the comparison is valid and very close.

I just don’t know how a GM justifies preaching building through the draft and then trades a young offensive defenseman for a fourth liner when the same defenseman can get him a mid to second round pick at the deadline.

• Ron says:

Now Burly don’t forget Diaz won the coveted cup Stubbs raved on about during the lockout year for best Swiss Cheese player in Europe (well between him and Webber). :D

• Luke says:

I’d have traded Diaz for Oduya if that was possible.
        I’d have not traded Oduya for Diaz if I had O.

• johnnylarue says:

Interesting point of comparison–and incidentally, they both have names incongruous with their respective nationalities.

• bwoar says:

Eh, if he gives up, this trade will be for the best all around.

“thoroughbred”

• Mattyleg says:

Hold on, he has followers…?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I´d certainly not call Diaz a top 4 D but other than that, he´s right. The ones who actually think it´s a better idea to play Murray than Diaz are really painfully stupid. Btw: We have one natural RD at Montreal at the moment. Ridiculous.

33. habsguru says:

here is what burns me most about MT, Eller is treated like a circus freak, and has to earn every second of ice time while he is getting punnished more than PK in a 215 area code. Briere, nets a goal, and he is on the starting line next game. and they wonder why these guys don’t show up every night.

• joeybarrie says:

Briere has what? 3-4 points or so in the last 3 games.
      Eller hasn’t put up a point in 14 games. He is a minus ten.
      I love Eller, but he does not deserve more ice time right now.
      Why would he?

34. MasterHab says:

Word out here in Vancouver is that Weise became expendable because he wanted to be a playmaker/scorer instead of accepting his role as a grinder. Now he’s on a team with a coach that wants all of his players to be grinders.

I always chuckle when, after the Habs make some out of the blue, minor depth move such as this, people go online and say things like “this means there’s a bigger deal to come” or “(insert current general manager’s name here) isn’t done.” And then we wait and as the deadline passes we realize that nope, there wasn’t a bigger deal to come. This was it. This was “the” deal; the only deal.

Diaz for Weise doesn’t mean much to me. We get rid of Diaz who wasn’t playing anyway, because Beaulieu showed he was ready for prime time. Weise will fill the hole to come with the departure of Parros or White or perhaps Moen. None of those players will garner much in return either. Its just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic. The team needs top 6 scoring and you can’t acquire that kind of talent when all you’re offering in return are scrubs like Diaz.

35. Mattyleg says:

From the blog Burly posted:
    “I hope that with the limited skills he has as an NHL tough guy, Weise is able to protect former Vancouver Giant star Brendan Gallagher more than his teammates did the other night.”

That would be nice.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. ACEEAGLE says:

Lines
    Patches Pleks Gionta ( Break up DD and Desharnais already and give Pleks someone on the LW)

KID line ( Together again at last )
    Bournival Briere Weise ( Briere seems hungry again and the new kid would fit well here)

Bourque Desharnais Prust ( what can I say this is what they deserve )

Out Moen(lost a step or 2)
    Parros( enough already)
    White( trade bait)

37. Mattyleg says:

Seen some posts about Weise not cracking the bottom 6 in Vancity, but if he was on the outs with Fonzarelli, that probably has more to do with it than any talent he has.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Fonzie is gonna love Raphael!

• Loonie says:

Weise has always been a nice energy player like Ryan Jones. I just can’t for the life of me figure out how you tell the Owner, coach, media and fans that you’re going to build a team through the draft and then trade a prime aged puck moving defenseman for a career fourth liner instead of being patient with him(like you have been with others) and waiting for the right return, like a draft pick.

• Mattyleg says:

I’m not sure if I’d call Diaz a prime aged puck moving defenceman.

We’ll see how he looks in Vancouver, but after a brief flash here, he flattered to deceive.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Stimpy007 says:

Mind boggling indeed!

We dont need another moen/white.

Diaz has wayyyyy more upside (and I dont mean Subban potential but….) at his position then Weise does. Diaz was never in Montreal’s long term plan so why we didnt trade him when is value was up is beyond me?? Instead we get Murray (which is fine) and resign Drewiskie and still have Bouillion. Why so many D-men??? Not to mention Tinordi, Pateryn and Beaulieu

• rljmartin says:

Article from Vancouver says he felt he was like Torts’ whipping boy. Weise himself felt he deserved way more minutes. Over-achiever? Hope so, would not hurt to have a little more ambition on the team and he is fast….

• johnnylarue says:

From the occasional Canucks propaganda I read in the lunchroom, I can tell you that their 3rd and 4th lines are perceived as a real dog’s breakfast, and that the lack of contribution from depth players is often cited as the team’s Achilles heel…

The simple fact that Weise would be deemed expendable from a lot of players already considered to be sub-par really helps me to temper my expectations.

38. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

From the Vancouver Sun…

“This is a great trade. Any time you can get a guy who shares a name with a ninja turtle, you have won the trade.”

Link to full article…

• Luke says:

Valid point.

Damn.

However, there are options:
      Anthony Leonardo D Framingham, MA 1971-1973 College-University
      Brandon Leonardo D 1994 Lantz, NS 2011-2013 Junior A (Canada)
      Dave Leonardo C Framingham, MA 1975-1980 Minor Pro
      Gregg Leonardo F 1990 Bloomfield Hills, MI 2009-2010 Junior A (U.S.)

A pretty good light hearted synopsis of the trade from a Vancouver perspective.

40. habsguru says:

a little surprised by the feedback on the trade,

Diaz would have been in Hamilton if his contract permitted. he hasn’t played in the NHL in weeks.

CH just saved a chunk of cap, which they may/may not use come deadline.

people forget that there is a business side to every trade, including the ramifications of cap, roster spot, and future impact.

i’m sure everyone wanted the Sedin’s for Diaz, but guess what, the CAP wouldn’t have allowed it even if VAN was willing.

good move MB, it’s a start, now keep going and thin the heard

41. Odie24 says:

Ha, nothing like a little business between two desperate GM’s. Listen, I don’t mind seeing Diaz go, but for Weise?? I mean, I know he’s a grinder and not necessarily a scrapper, but a quick perusal of his fight card on YouTube and he’s on his ass in every tilt. We always seem to pick up these so-so guys.

42. Loonie says:

It’s funny to me that Andrew Berkshire is getting ripped on for not liking this trade and for some(I haven’t seen his tweets) harsh words for the GM.

Dale Weise is a character play, something that should never be discounted. But I’m counting myself among the group of people who are frustrated with this trade and the General Manager’s decisions to this point for the most part. I love that he added Douglas Murray but am still bothered that he added Daniel Briere(even though I’ve always liked him as a player). It blows my mind that Desharnais was scratched once and demoted for a couple of games through a historic slump of offensive futility when a former first round pick who blossomed last year as a seemingly excellent two way physical forward has been relegated to a penalty killing role in the midst of awful even strength production. But I remain pleased that the coach whose hiring I detested has made other adjustments to the lineup to create balance.

I’m rambling but from my point of view Marc Bergevin has proven to be terribly reactionary as a GM with the roster. There are certainly things that happen behind closed doors that the public aren’t made aware of but Bergevin’s moves have been very questionable to say the least in my opinion.

If there’s a long term vision for this team it certainly hasn’t been a plan applied to the present day version. And on the subject of Diaz. There was somewhat of a bidding war for him just prior to him signing with the Canadiens. I remember a half dozen teams reportedly offering him a contract. Hard to believe that yet another player who blossomed last season wasn’t worth more than Dale Weise who while a nice addition is as interchangeable as a two dollar light bulb(one of those eco-friendly bulbs if you prefer).

This team is not built to do anything, and that consequence is as much a result of Bergevin’s action and inaction as it was Pierre Gauthier’s at this point.

Briere contract
    Desharnais contract
    Murray contract
    Parros acquisition
    Drewiske acquisition

Bergevin’s moves don’t often make sense in a vacuum or through a broad scope. Seems like he’s content to put something almost respectable on the ice for now and wait for his kids to develop. Admirable but foolish in my opinion. When teams count on their draft picks implicitly the result is typically what Edmonton is going through right now.

• Kooch7800 says:

I am not a fan of the DD contract or the Briere signing but in this case it is really an insignificant move really. Diaz was a FA at the end of the year and wasn’t playing and we now have an excess of D men. With Diaz not playing much we really can’t expect a 2nd rounder for him.

I don’t think this will be the last move of the season. I will give MB the benefit of the doubt so far. The Waite acquisition was huge on Price and Buds. Murray i don’t mind either for 1.5 mill.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

So all it took was a Diaz trade to get you back here?

Hope your doing well Tom, my reaction to the trade is “meh” . Diaz was not the same player this year, not sure if it was the concussion, or he was playing scared, but the Diaz we saw this season wasn’t helping the team.

• Mattyleg says:

Heya Loon.
      Good to see you.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

43. thehabsfan29 says:

We really need to find a forward to play with Plek & Gio
    I Think a trade is the only way to go.

Any ideas?

• Loonie says:

Briere is just fine there. As is Bournival.

This team’s problem isn’t that Plekanec and Gionta don’t have a better linemate. They’re excellent even in that circumstance. This group just isn’t built to play at even strength. It’s built as it has been for some time, rely on special teams and a goaltender catching fire.

• Cal says:

Gionta’s replacement?

44. veryhabby says:

He’s probably another Blunden? Anything better then him, maybe a tad in that at least he is keeping his NHL job.

Obviously there isn’t much of a market for unwanted, sitting out, Dmen. See Fraser and now this trade. Teams picking up what another team is trying to get rid of. they won’t offer much.

As a #5dman with some 2nd unit PP pts…I think is worth a 3rd rounder at most at the deadline when teams overpay

A #8 dman (he is behind our starting 6 and Bouillon) with no goals on the PP this year….maybe a 4th-6th round pick. That’s what we got here in Weise. some more 4th line depth for a piece we weren’t using.

Oh well. Not much exciting here

Given that many of us have been hoping our team gets harder to play against, a more physical brand of hockey. Philosophically MB must be thinking similar as that is the basis of this minor trade.

• Stimpy007 says:

So we are going to play Moen, Weise, White, Parros, Prust?? We need guys with size that can score in the top 6 or 9 for that matter?

Even our tough guys get overmatched. White and Moen dont fight anymore. They arent even good fighters? They barely lay hits either? Parros is a middle of the pack fighter who is one punch away from retirement. Not a great skater, cant catch anyone to hit. Even Prust is losing the edge he had last year? I dont understand? Why are we getting more of these players? Weise has 4 fights this year and drastically lost 3 of them.

46. krob1000 says:

There will be more moves to follow…at least onedoozy by seasons end IMO. Something has to give and the team seems awfully preoccupied with saving cap space of late. They may be looking at adding the future scoring winger this year,

47. Kooch7800 says:

Good luck to Diaz. I hope it works out for him on the West Coast. He has a decent skill set but in our back end was not really working out.

I welcome Weis. I hope he adds some more jam to our team.

I wonder if this makes Moen expendable

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

48. Un Canadien errant says:

Not a great trade overall, I would have preferred a younger player or prospect or draft pick, but there’s no way the Canucks are letting any of their youngsters go, or draft picks, their system is much depleted after years of acquiring rentals at the deadline and bad drafting.

Dale Weise is like a half of a Travis Moen, we shouldn’t expect too much from him. He barely hung on to a roster spot with the ‘Nucks, and their third and fourth lines are arid wastelands devoid of talent. Best-case scenario is that he fits in better in our roster, but that’s a remote chance, since the Canucks have the same profile we do (low-scoring, undersized).

It is a good trade for Raphaël though, since Chris Tanev and Kevin Bieksa got injured, they had six lefties playing on defence, save for instances when Yannick would draw in, and that has been disastrous, he’s really struggled except maybe when he’s on the powerplay.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

I was really hoping you were going to come on here and tell us that you saw something in Weise that would give us hope.

You sure you didn’t see something good in this kid?

• krob1000 says:

Lokk at his stats compared to nearly every Hab…..the kid is outscoirng Montreal 3rd liner sin 4th line role…and has a history of putting pucks in the net…..thisis a great gamble to get our Connor Crisp/.Mccarron hopes sooner than later . He has tha Bryan Bickell like potential…although Bickell is overrated…he has a lot to offer and Montreal is lacking that type of guy.

• Un Canadien errant says:

krob is being very optimistic in my view, and I hope he turns out to be right. I think however that while Dale Weise is a heart and soul guy and a great teammate, he has no hands and little vision, he just doesn’t bring much except lots of effort. This season, the Canucks are hard-pressed to put together a decent third line, let alone a fourth. David Booth is scratched, Henrik Sedin and Daniel Burrows have been hurt, yet Dale Weise hasn’t been able to move up the lineup, like Travis Moen or Brandon Prust have. Mr. Weise has barely been able to stay on the fourth line, and he’s been scratched so that Yannick Weber could play fourth line/#7 D.

• johnnylarue says:

I feel much the same way, and suspect Diaz’s stock would have risen post-Olympics… at least to the point of warranting a decent pick in return, rather than yet another “size for size’s sake” plumber.

But what do I know!

• Un Canadien errant says:

I had hoped for the same, that a decent-to-good Olympic tourney would raise his trade value so that we could get a low-second or high-third draft pick for him, but I guess we couldn’t wait. With Davis Drewiske and Ryan White about to return, there was no room on the 23-man roster to stash him.

I guess we both see the same in Dale Weise. Good guy, good teammate, but in Ryan White and Travis Moen we already had what he brings. At least he’s an asset we can hold on to next summer, whereas Raphaël was gone on July 1.

• Ron says:

It is possible that MB thought in the same way you suggest. But sitting and not playing for that lenght of time makes for a distraction within the team workings. What would have happened if Diaz goes to the Olpmpics and gets injured (which could happen) and he has to sit beyond the trade deadline. Then we get dick all.

• Habilis says:

I agree that the trade itself is nothing special.

But I think the move is positive because essentially, we remove Diaz and replace him with a superior player in Beaulieu.

Weise is just 4th line insurance, but he’s big and fast and probably a better hockey player than Parros (who I love, but not for his skill).

It also seems apparent that MB will be making another move at some point. When Chucky and White are healthy, we’ll have 15 forwards, all on one way deals. Someone is gonna have to move somewhere.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Good point about him being a toned down but more versatile and reliable player than George Parros. Dale Weise can counter some of the goons on other teams but still skate and play some defence. So against teams like the Bruins and the Leafs George draws in, against the Jets and the Pens Dale plays, and against the Wings neither does.

And yeah, despite my misgiving about his maturity, Nathan Beaulieu brings to the table what we’ve been waiting for Raphaël to show us: wheels, creativity, shots on goal, rushes with the puck that lead to something, … He has outplayed him and made him expendable.

• krob1000 says:

Half of Travis Moen? At the same age Moen had his career year of 11 goals and 10 assists check out Moens WHL and AHL numbers ,…he has never had anything to offer offensviely….http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=45163
      now look at Weise’s stats adn tell me there isn;t way more upside and for less money? http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=80353

Weisse should be if given a chance able to genreate 10-15 goals and contriubte to the offesne while also offering the same physical component that Moen adds…at less money. Moen may also be a commodity if the HAbs were willing to mvoe him…I can really see a team like COlorado being interested …I suspect it is Bourquew that goes but I could see it if the right offer came along but you are writing this guy off before he has ever been given a chance…yet comparing to a guy with a similar trajectory but a lower ceiling that was always in place.

• Un Canadien errant says:

krob, I don’t dislike Dale Weise. I did take a quick look at his stats when the trade was announced, and it confirmed what I know from watching him play. Lots of heart, very little skill. That’s my impression. I’m not saying he’s useless, or that he can’t improve, just that we got little return for a player that we had clearly run out of patience for, me included.

I was being flippant about him being half a Travis, I was trying to paint an image for other HIO members, but the point remains. He’s a grinder and a chugger, and much like Travis he won’t bury many chances, so on a two-on-one rush Tomas Plekanec will think twice about passing the puck to either of those guys. But I do believe that any NHL GM would trade away Dale Weise for Travis in a heartbeat. Travis just brings more, has proven more, so he’s much more valuable, even at more than twice the cap hit.

If I remember correctly, Dale was a free agent this summer, and didn’t get re-upped by the Canucks right at July 1, he had to file for salary arbitration. Read the link below to see how the locals evaluate his value to the team.

• rljmartin says:

Weber is also injured.

49. Mr. Biter says:

162 games 185 Pim’s. A good start.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

50. bellcentre hotdog says:

For what it’s worth, Dale Weise was the Canucks’ fastest skater in the skills competition 2 years in a row.

And he can fight.

51. FlyingFrenchie says:

A nice acquisition… He’ll fit in great with our other 12 – third liners.

52. thehabsfan29 says:

In my opinion Andrew Berkshire on twitter is THE definition of a joke
    I don’t understand how he can call himself a habs fan

I have never seen someone rip on a GM for making such a minor move before.

He keeps going on about Diaz could have got us a lot more and how MB is the worst GM in the NHL and so on.

Has he not watched the habs play? Beaulieu clearly took Diaz’s spot. Diaz would for sure walk and why not get some grit in return rather then getting nothing. from what I’ve been reading weise is the type of player who puts 100% into every shift! could be another prust and be a potential steal!

I actually like this trade a lot!

People like him give us habs fans a bad name…

• CJ says:

Agreed. You are spot on.

I just blocked them both on twitter. I can no longer see any value in their analysis. When they start lamenting how Diaz is better then Emelin, I’m done.

Lastly, for such intelligent young men, they sure swear a lot publicly.

• ooder says:

when the jets scored the GWG yesterday and murray was on the ice, i was like ok here we go.
      log on to twitter, and there he is saying the same shit over and over again. although murray covered his guy in the slot and it was just not a very good goal

• Kooch7800 says:

Marray takes a lot of heat and he ain’t all bad

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• thehabsfan29 says:

I saw that also. didn’t even want to waste my energy and reply. I don’t understand how people take him seriously

I really like murray & for 1.5 million I think he’s a steal. hes not the fastest skater but we need physical defenseman.

• ooder says:

ironically we lost to tampa because the guy in the slot was uncovered in OT. now Murray plays the odd and covers the more dangerous player in the slot and got heat for a weak goal.

53. AceTen says:

The one thing that makes this a good trade for us is the player’s contracts. Diaz is UFA after this year and really I didn’t see us signing him. Vancouver could lose him after this season. Weise is a restricted free agent and is still young. Not to mention he has some size, which we desperately need.

We get a solid 3-4th liner with some size while getting rid of a player we weren’t even using. Also we signed diaz as an undrafted free agent, so we are basically getting this guy for free.

54. Rad says:

Wasn’t 22 John Ferguson’s old number? If this kid is half as tough as Fergy we’ll be alright.

55. CJ says:

I just spent the last fifteen minutes literally laughing at loud at some of the nonsense being shared on twitter. You would swear we traded an All Star and got back a pack of bazooka Joe.

Wake up folks. Diaz was signed as an undrafted free agent. Murray didn’t make Diaz expendable, Beaulieu did. To those who feel like we should have gotten a draft pick, or greater value in return, let’s try and be fair. Diaz was not good enough to work the second unit of the PP. He was Yannick Weberish, who he will again battle with for a roster spot. At least Weber had a shot.

At least, if nothing else, Weise puts Prust, Bourque and Moen on the hot seat. As it was, who was threatening their jobs? Nobody, aside from kids (Crisp, Nevins, etc.) who are still years away, if they ever make it at all.

We got what we could get.

56. Cal says:

Glad the poindexters at EOTP don’t like the trade. That means the Habs won the trade. :)

• CJ says:

Cal I agree completely.

Statistics, without the value of watching or understanding the game of hockey leave too much room for subjectivity. Robert Rice told me that Parenteau would be a better fit in Montreal then Jamie McGinn. If someone honestly believes that then they are lost.

• Cal says:

Parenteau a better fit than McGinn? Didn’t think he would go off the deep end, too, but there ya go.
        He’s better off watching the prospects and leaving the SHOW alone.

57. Habilis says:

So yeah, the advanced stat guys are going into labor over this one.

I don’t get the reaction at all. Diaz is an impending UFA who became redundant with the emergence of Beaulieu. We’d have lost him for nothing after the season.

The stats guys are all up in arms because according to them, Diaz is a better D than Murray and Bouillon. Maybe he is according to stats alone. But I’m not sure how anyone could want to replace Murray with Diaz at this point. Two completely different players with completely different roles. If you remove Murray, you need a Tinordi or another bruiser, not a Diaz.

For the record, I’m fine with the move. It frees up room for Beaulieu (who is already better than Diaz, IMO) to stay and that makes us a better hockey team.

• Sportfan says:

Stats guys can go suck a lemon, they prance around saying how their stats aren’t for the fans and then they shove it in our faces and tell us to agree with it or leave. They factor in Corsi and Fenwick, but ignore almost everything else half the time. They want us to care about these stats because it worked in baseball, last time I checked the A’s haven’t won the World Series with their fancy stats.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Propwash says:

Stats only tell part of the story. It’s the end results that count.

____________________
        DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• ooder says:

i feel like stats have a place in sports, however the people that solely rely on them are the guys who have never played a game in their life. they can’t grasp intangibles, heart and role if it doesn’t translate into a number.

• CJ says:

Agreed. Great point.

• Habilis says:

Agreed.

Anyone who thinks that replacing Murray with Diaz makes us better is looking at nothing but numbers.

I wonder if the numbers predict what would happen to our PK (our lone consistent strength this season) if we replaced Murray with Diaz? Logically, it should improve because our Corsi and Fenwick would be higher, right?

Somehow, I doubt that.

• ooder says:

you know exactly how happy i am about this trade!

58. rhino514 says:

I don´t understand this trade at all. Where could this guy play once Chucky comes back? Nowhere, Unless Bourque is about to be traded.

59. mark-ID says:

So we can all hope that this guy will come in and give us a goal here and there….as he has shown at different levels that he is able to bury the puck. Now I have to wonder……could there be a spot for him on a line with Pacioretty and Desharnais? If he can use his size and crash and bang like Gallagher…..could he potentially help those two?
    Who knows, but it would free up Gallagher to hopefully get Eller going again on the egg line.
    Maybe it’s wishful thinking…..

Pacioretty Desharnais Weise
    Chuck Eller Gally
    Bournival Pleks Gionta
    Moen Briere Prust

• ACEEAGLE says:

I think this is a move to make White and Moen expendable and pick up a 20-30 goal scorer in return. Bourque will not be moved as he has no value for what he is putting out so he has to score and that is what they are hoping for I believe. I do not think the new kid should be on your # 1 line as you have him. Here is what I think.

Patches Pleks Gionta
      KID line
      Bournival Briere Weise
      Bourque Desharnais Prust

out Moen and White and Parros

• krob1000 says:

I posted almost the same and then it didn’t show …this guy could be the perfect fit for Dd and Patches. He could do the heavy lifting, save some wear and tear on Gallagher at he same time and trickle the ofense down. IF DDD and Patches can carry a line and this guy can chip in the grit it couldbe a huge advantage to every line.

60. Rad says:

So Weise and White on a line together will be the Winnipeg Connection? Put them on a line with Travis Moen and we get the Prairie Farm Boys.

61. thehabsfan29 says:

Next thing to do is to get rid of bourque!

Would love to see MB go after a player like Chris Stewart

62. Rad says:

Well, let’s see how the Weise kid performs tomorrow night. He should be pumped for his first game as a Hab.

63. HABZ24 says:

Looks like a bourque replacement,ok.now gotta ship bourque out.

GO HABS GO

• Luke says:

I think he is more of a White replacement than a Bourque replacement, TBH.

He looks like a 4th liner… a Moen-esque type if you will.

• Maksimir says:

Don’t think he’ll replace Bourque unless he goes on a tear….

we actually really need Bourque to start producing and get his trade value up before the March deadline. Then get something of quality in return. Of course, if Bourque starts to produce – do you still trade him?

• thehabsfan29 says:

I Would still trade him. even if he gets on a tear (which is doubtful) he never really fit in with the habs system

He for sure needs a change of scenery.

64. frontenac1 says:

The Swiss guys together again in the Western Alps. It’s for the best amigos. Yodel leh hee whoo!

65. monmick says:

Anyone get an injury report for Moen? I beleive he only played one shift in he thrid yesterday and, unless I am mistaken, returned to the dressing room before the end of the game.

I wonder whether this trade today is somehow related…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

66. Old Bald Bird says:

So … is this a fair summary? We got a regular (hopefully) for a guy who wasn’t playing — AT ALL?

Why do I get the impression this trade will be lambasted on another Habs website we are familiar with?

Statistically we got our Corsi handed to us in this one, In fact so bad my Fenwick hurts I can’t even sit on it!

68. jacquesthemonkey says:

Weise move.

69. bwoar says:

Winnipeg represent!

“thoroughbred”

70. Propwash says:

Diaz was obviously not in the gameplan moving forward, plus he wasn’t doing so hot this year anyway.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

71. Maritime Ronn says:

This may be the first of several moves the Habs HAVE to make because of potential CBA roster issues.

The CBA says that the maximum roster size allowed is 23 players (21 skaters + 2 goalies).
    Teams can exceed that number when players are injured.

Even when Steve Thomas is excluded – and if all injured players are back after the Olympic break (Chuckie-White-Drewiske), the Habs will have 15 forwards and 8 Dmen… meaning they have 2 too many players on their NHL roster.

This trade saved the Habs a few Cap dollars:
    Weise: $750K
    Diaz: $1.225M

Who stays and who goes? (Trade-Hamilton-Waivers)

If a player is sent to Hamilton and is eligible for waivers and clears waivers, his Cap Hit is calculated by:
    Cap Hit minus $925K.
    If Weise is sent to Hamilton, the Habs would not incur a Cap Hit.

While highly unlikely, both Bournival and Beaulieu have 2 way contracts and would not have to clear waivers if ever sent down because of roster issues.

Beaulieu: NHL: $925K + bonuses. AHL: $70K
    Bournival: NHL: $660K +bonuses. AHL: $67.5K

72. SmartDog says:

Five goals a year. Those aren’t bad numbers… on the Habs.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

73. habsguru says:

Doh’ HiB got me again

We just got MOAR Bigger right?

Welcome to the Wiserhood!

And for the record, always thought Diaz was going to win the Norris ;-) .

75. Dave78 says:

I tried reading the stuff on EOTP but I lost interest FAST. Same stuff day in and day out. Who needs to read 4 articles per week on why Douglas Murray stinks???

Just about everything on that site is negative. Even when the team plays a half decent game they can’t help but sour the milk. I think they need to put the abacus away and actually watch a game now and then.

Same thing today. You’d think the Habs traded James Norris away.
    Diaz was a healthy scratch and an impending FA at the end of the year. I don’t know if Bergevin could have gotten more for him or not but why not move a guy if you’re not using him?

76. frontenac1 says:

Are vyou talking about that Smithicks and Corgies guy that hates Crankshaft?

77. Ozmodiar says:

Would like to watch that ball hockey game – most shots directed towards the opposition’s net wins.

78. thehabsfan29 says:

CBC Isn’t picky lol. as long as you dislike the habs I think they will hire you.

79. ooder says:

honestly i am glad he is off HIO.
    i remeber this guy would pick fights with people and never ever ever admit there could even be the smallest change he was wrong about something

80. CJ says:

He is big and fast. One of the faster skaters on the Canucks roster.

He was one of the names I mentioned last week as an upgrade for our third/fourth line.

81. thehabsfan29 says:

Same!

There is nothing worse then people like that.

82. Odie24 says:

Brunet???? Forget f’n Brunet, how about Habs legend and 60 goal man Steve Shutt????

83. Mattyleg says:

This is so disrepectful to Randy Bucyk.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

84. Mattyleg says:

d’oh!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

85. Odie24 says:

Ha! All 17 games of him.

86. Mattyleg says:

I can see his face in my mind: I had a poster of him on my high-school locker because he was on the back of the Carbonneau one I’d put up, and my buddy kept flipping it around to bug me.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

87. Sportfan says:

He’s calling Diaz a top 4 dman…..

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

88. Mattyleg says:

Ha!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

89. D Mex says:

That so ?
    Care to generalize about posters named after weather systems ?

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

90. SmartDog says:

I don’t understand the question.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

91. boonie says:

You mean like Russ Courtnall? Fastest SOB from a bygone era. Never quite added up to the scoring the way it should have.

92. jols101 says:

This is why I think Eller gets moved. Other GM’s see the value in a big center that can skate and is rock solid defensively. There is a lot of interest in Eller, I don’t think the phones are ringing off the hook for DD.

93. Chris says:

Me either…he is my favourite player on the team (along with Markov). But whenever a rich team is overloaded in forwards and clears as much cap space as the Habs have, it makes me wonder if there isn’t the possibility of something bigger in the works.

And sadly, the only forward that could be involved if there were a bigger trade in the works is Eller because he actually has value.

94. adadi says:

So trade the future to keep a loser. Great logic.

95. boonie says:

Chris – I swear, I’m not stalking you.

Just curious – how much value do you think Eller has in a trade? I can’t see him getting us much more than a third or conditional second, and I wouldn’t trade a solid, inexpensive #3 center with upside for that.

96. boing007 says:

Overloaded with forwards? Who? The Habs? We could use a few more, not a few less.

Richard R

97. jols101 says:

Hey not my logic, I would keep Eller, Pleks and Chucky in the middle. I’m just a Habs fan though, language consideration mean very little to me.

98. adadi says:

Glad to hear it. If you can unload DD for a bag of pucks I would do it. It frees up serious cap space for the next three years.

99. kalevine says:

I dunno. I seem to remember him scoring pretty reliably

100. Chris says:

I still remember my oldest brother’s summary of Russ Courtnall:

“Million dollar skating, 10 cent hands.”

101. Chris says:

I think Eller is more valuable than you do… :)

He is a 24 year old centre that has shown he can be a capable defender who can be counted on for significant penalty killing duties. The big question mark is his offensive ceiling: teams definitely took notice of him last season, when he was the Habs’ best forward at even-strength. With increased first-wave power play time, he could have put together a VERY solid season.

I think he lands you at least a second on his own. But he carries more value in a trade like the van Riemsdyk-Schenn deal, where two teams dealt young players with good NHL size and skating but who were clearly struggling with consistency.

I could easily see Eller dealt in a similar trade. So the question is what players out there might be in a similar situation as van Riemsdyk.

The Habs need goal scoring forwards, as Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Plekanec and Eller are all playmakers. If I was looking around the NHL, my target would be a guy like Kyle Palmieri in Anaheim. He can play right wing (the biggest weakness for the Habs, as Gionta is almost certainly gone), while the Ducks might be looking for a replacement for Koivu. Another good target in Anaheim might be Devante Smith-Pelly, who is bigger and more physical than Palmieri but has less offensive potential. The Ducks also have a lot of good young forward prospects that could make such a deal palatable.

102. D Mex says:

Eller is 6’2″ and 215 lbs.
    You want to size down now – wow !

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

103. SteverenO says:

@ scotland

Prior to this weekend the line of Briere/Pleks/Gionta have been on the ice for 8 Goals in 101 minutes of even strength play while allowing only one goal against.

No other line has come anywhere close to scoring at that frequency . (one GF every 12.5 minutes)

Patch/DD/Gallagher= one GF every 21 minutes
    Galchenyuk/Eller?Gallagher+ one GF every 26 minutes

what games are you watching?

educate yourself;

regards,

Steve O.

104. D Mex says:

… and Rob Ford.

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

105. CJ says:

My wife has clinic at the hospital today. I’m home with the boys. Maybe Thursday night. Kidding of course.

Seriously though, I’m not bilingual.

106. Chris says:

He and Bournival can give each other a good run.

107. Mattyleg says:

You just don’t want to win hard enough.
    There’s no “I’m home with the boys” in ‘Winning The Stanley Cup,” CJ.

….gosh.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

108. krob1000 says:

IT is AHL stats and current stats that excitte me….28 goals in teh AHl is not easy as a kid like he did…and to have more points than Bourque, Prust, Moen,Bournival in 7 mins a gmae….combine that with a big body/speed and a little grit…whyw ould poeple not be excited. He isn;t the second coming of Milan Lucic but he could be an upgrade on a guy like Bouruqe at a third of the price and allow the team to move someone else. HE could potentially allow the team to slide others down the depth chart. His point producrtiont his year would make himt eh teams best 4th liner and earn himan instant 3rd line role….there is potential here.
    Would we be happy with a Pouliot type guy? A younger Bourque?

109. CJ says: