Audio: Blueline swap brings Kaberle in deal for Spacek

kaberle

Tomas Kaberle (left) joins the Canadiens with Friday’s trade.
Ellen Ozler, Reuters

AUDIO: Pierre Gauthier (courtesy Rick Moffat, CJAD) | Jacques Martin | P.K. Subban | Tomas Plekanec | Hal Gill | Chris Campoli

The Canadiens have traded defenceman Jaroslav Spacek to Kirk Muller’s Carolina Hurricanes for fellow rearguard Tomas Kaberle.

Kaberle signed a three-year deal worth $12.75 million this past summer. Spacek, making $3.8 million, is a UFA at season’s end.

Canadiens head coach Jacques Martin said he hopes Kaberle will be in the Habs lineup Saturday afternoon in New Jersey. The newcomer is expected to be of help to the team on the power play.

From the Canadiens:

The 33-year old Kaberle played 29 games with the Hurricanes this season. He registered nine assists, 38 shots on goal and 27 blocked shots, playing an average of 19:14 per game.

The 6-foot-1, 214-pound defenceman has collected 538 points (84 goals, 454 assists) in 931 regular season games in the NHL.  He scored 31 goals on the power-play and 16 were game-winning goals. He displays a career +19 plus/minus differential. Kaberle added 39 points (6 goals, 33 assists) in 102 playoff games, along with a +16 plus/minus ratio.

A native of Rakovnik, Czech Republic, he played in the 2002, 2006 and 2010 Winter Olympics. Kaberle was drafted in the eighth round, 204th overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs at the 1996 NHL Entry Draft.

Spacek played 12 games this season with the Canadiens registering three assists. He has a +2 plus/minus differential, with 12 hits and 25 blocked shots, playing an average of 15 minutes and 29 seconds per game.

Since joining the NHL, Spacek has recorded 343 points (77 goals and 266 helpers) and maintained a +45 plus/minus ratio in 846 NHL regular season games.

1,472 Comments

1. Stuck_in_To. says:

Listening to Martin I realize how little I understand management’s thinking. I read the media and the lament of a PP point shot. Everyone is calling for a new Wiz, Streit or Sheldon Souray. So PG goes out and gets a passer and Martin claims the PP needs a QB and Kaberle could be that QB. Looks like we’ll be going down low for PP goals. What do I know? Sounds good to me if it happens.

I am not sure about the trade and never would have imagined Kaberle is the answer to the team’s problems. But for now, I will hope that he is.

2. likehoy says:

spacek was a good guy, and I wouldn’t have mind keeping him
    we were 7-4-1 with spacek in the lineup.. I figured at first that PG just wanted to tank cause he was part of the winning formula

But now that I had a bit of time to digest this deal.. it makes sense for us in the short-term to have PP specialist (maybe someone who can score on the shootout too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TwxL7LSC8c ).. it should help a fix of a PP QB who can thread passes through the eye of a needle while markov’s out… long term I’m not sure how it’s going to pan out, maybe we’ll just deal kabs again

but what impresses me is that spacek has played half the games this year and although he was close to returning, picking up kaberle means we get a healthy dman and we lose almost nothing for it. We were barely playing spacek, we retained our draft picks, and we got a player who’s had a good NHL career so far and who should still be in his prime

people forget that kaberle was playing on the worst team in the league just now (carolina hurricanes) and their best player wasn’t scoring either. I think he’s a good fit, maybe not perfect

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

3. ont fan says:

I’m surprised we didn.t try to get Chara ,Lidstrom,Little,or Gonchar for Spats..then we would be happier

4. The Cat says:

I guess the trade is not such a bad thing, with the youth on the habs, I confess I was starting to like (not hate) the team. This trade will give me back my edge. @#^& I hate that type of d-man.

5. Dickie9 says:

WTF…Really..somebody find the ghost and lets give him a beating…Chris Nilan style…this is by far the worst trade he could have made..Habs Nation..we are the laughing stock of a lot of hockey fans tonight.

6. VancouverHab says:

Oh no. This is what I hate about pro-sports fandom. I really really liked Spatches: awesome character, funny, positive, high-fived the mascots, reliable safe player — and this year he REALLY worked to be prep’d for a season.

I hate this right now :–(

7. Ali says:

most infuriating part of this is that Campoli was cleared for contact today, meaning he’ll be back soon. Carolina would not have pulled this offer off the table. What was the harm in waiting to see what Campoli could do?

Subban, Gorges, Gill, Campoli, Kaberle, Emelin. Means Emelin is odd man out when (if?) Markov is healthy?

• Clay says:

I really doubt this Kaberle deal would have happened at all if they expected to get Markov back. I fear his knee is done.

__________________________
      “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau.

• 100HABS says:

you forget Diaz – with the minutes he’s been putting up, he’s ahead of Yemmy

8. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Maybe its my imagination, but it seems that after about 5:30pm, or 17:30, when most normal, educated, intelligent people are out of work or school, etc and have the time to post on this site, the intelligence of the comments spikes three-fold. Not to say good smart people dont have to do inconvenient shift work, they frequently do. But they probably have better things to do than (delete) pins and needles here all day.

And before someone calls me ignorant or a snob, ill remind you that you’re all (delete)-talking, trashing, and dragging through the mud a man who has been consistently good throughout his entire career, has started this season on an awful team, and has yet to play one shift for this one, a much better one. You are ignorant, and presumably most of you deadbeats and slackers. The mentality and attitude here is disgusting.

And Boone, you probably won’t catch this, but you’re a wishy-washy, back and forth, finger in the wind joke of a sports journalist for a slipshod, fly-by-night pathetic newspaper that will assuredly not exist in print form 5 years from now or less. You waffle to-and-fro on your opinions on basically everyone, so whether i disagree or i agree with what you say, it holds no value. Not to mention your unnecessary inserting of commentary on US politics (or Canadian politics for that matter) and your so-subtle knack for reminding us of you Judaism, which is usually just fine, today however you choose to put a global political spin on that too. The Leafs and Bruins are Hamas and Hezbollah? So the great tower of light, the Canadiens, must be the Promised Land of Zionism…. blaggh. Blow harder, why not?.
    And i thought the quality of print-journalism in WNY was sad.

• V says:

With any luck, you’re trapped under the falls. What a stupid post.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Exactly whats stupid? the fact that our Habs beat reporter has no consistent opinion on ANYTHING? the fact that he frequently politicizes the site unnecessarily with random political criticisms?
        As for the beginning of what i said, i stand by it. Children and the ignorant play on here all day, its quite obvious.

• Habsolutely says:

If it’s so terrible here for you why don’t you take a hike instead of coming here and crying like a pathetic schmuck. If you can’t handle all of the peoples opinions here maybe the internet isn’t the place for you skippy.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Yes, if we dont like something someone says, we should all just run away and hide from it.

There are smart posters on here, and good writers / reporters such as Stubbs, Hackel, and Hickey. Why should I stop reading them because of one weak link?

• Habsolutely says:

you come on here and smear a whole group of posters based on what time they post at, you insult Boone and attack him for making a joke. you’re pathetic. it’s pretentious schmucks like you that they need to get rid of around here.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I “smeared” posters that sit on here all day bashing and degrading people they dont know and who have yet to play for this team for one second. They insult their intelligence and integrity as though they know them. No thats not pretentious, but it is cowardly and childish.
            You can dislike the trade without denigrating people.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Maybe you didnt read Boones post earlier where he did indeed compare the Leafs and Bruins to Hezbollah and Hamas. Its not funny, and certainly pointless. Im here for hockey not character assassination and a UN summit.

• The Jackal says:

Boone makes jokes.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

A joke thats only funny if you agree with the subliminal, yet evident opinion being purveyed.

• ooder says:

yes you are right hezbollah and hamas are your friendly neighbours who don’t preace violence and commit acts of terrorism that they are proud off.

——————
          The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I won’t comment on the IDF, as I would be a hypocrite, but does this mean Chara and Phaneuf are jihadist murderers?

• patience is a virtue says:

dude. you’re helping the new yorker make his point. both hamas and hezbollah are/have been democratically elected political parties.

yes, they also engage in armed struggle against others whom they feel are oppressing their people and committing murderous acts of violence against them (i.e. the Israelis).

I’m not here to judge who’s right or wrong/who’s the “terrorists” in that complex set of regional relationships, but Boone shouldn’t be using this site to pronounce upon an ancient armed conflict between peoples either.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Exactly, Patience. I dont have a problem with someone having one stance or another on that issue, people view it differently. The point is, I don’t think it should be shoved down the throats (or eyes) of the readers here.

This really went too far, my main point was that Boone is waffler. I just threw that in as a bonus.

• Clay says:

@ ooder:
            I don’t want to weigh in on the rest of this discussion, but I have to set the record straight on this one part. The Israeli government has committed far, far more acts of terrorism than both Hezbollah and Hamas combined. Note that I’m not defending the latter, but let’s not try to pretend that Israel has the moral high-ground here.

__________________________

• Dickie9 says:

stupid post..idiot in Niagara

• cuzzie says:

From all I read today they should change HIO to Idiots ‘r’ us. The HABS are a crappy team and a crappy organization, enough of history and tradition. They are, sorry to say full of crap, from the prez on down.

Mr. Bad Example!

• gwebster says:

I love this post. Your arguments, while I find exaggerated to make a point, have underlying merit. You shouldn’t have gotten personal at the end though, I think it’s a little uncalled for. Boone is definitely back-and-forth though, like all sports people trying desperately to maintain their place in the industry. If it bothers you so much though, why post? You should just read the facts and move on.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I understand your point, why post? True, i could just ignore it, but I used to love this site, its growing sad, and it pisses me off. So as I would complain to a manager for bad service at a restaurant, etc. i just wanna get that off my chest too.

And while I criticized Boone individually, I made no assertions or negative comments about him as a person, just as a sports writer.

• ooder says:

“and your so-subtle knack for reminding us of you Judaism, which is usually just fine, today however you choose to put a global political spin on that too. The Leafs and Bruins are Hamas and Hezbollah? So the great tower of light, the Canadiens, must be the Promised Land of Zionism…. blaggh” <——
          are you a complete moron or only when it gets dark ?

——————
          The 2010-11 Stanley Cup was not won, but given

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

What is moronic about it? Read his blog post. I didnt bring it up, i just pointed it out. Israel are the good guys, he should just say it.

• likehoy says:

I agree.. well said. this site is a joke sometimes!

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• The Dude says:

Your imagination is very angry….you should be smoking “white rhino”….IT WILL MAKE YOU A MUCH MORE MELLOW FELLOW!

• habsfan0 says:

You made this post at 6:31pm. Obviously, intelligent posts do not rule the day at that hour.

• The Jackal says:

Anyone else catch the irony of this post?

Please point it out.

• habsfan0 says:

Niagara claims to have an issue with Boone making political references here,then Niagara submits a thinly veiled anti semitic rant.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

(deleted)…. nothing was anti-semetic. I maybe was unclear that i dont think theres anything wrong with talking about your culture, but then taking the issue of the century as it relates to that culture and using it on here is uncalled for. I have jewish friends, read jewish literature, study the religion even. Don’t go that route.

• habsfan0 says:

Yes..yes..you have Jewish friends, read Jewish literature,study the religion even. As a matter of fact, you probably think everybody should own one.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Yeeeeeah. Just what I said. You dont like my opinion, so label me a racist or a xenophobe, “anti-semetic”… that must be it. Respond to the main point, don’t just infer that im a bigot based on nothing.

• sevenman says:

Well said

• Talik Sanis says:

While the posters denigrating the trade have directed a great deal of vitriol at management, most have been relatively (and I stress relatively) courteous to those individuals who do not share their views. There have, of course, been those who have taken a hostile and inappropriate tone, but it seems to pale in comparison to the comments made by Bill, Mr. Berkshire and, indeed, yourself.

So far today, I’ve been characterized as having a mental disorder, have apparently expressed “impotent internet rage” and find that I am a “deadbeat and slacker” (Dad always did tell me to get a job), as I have expressed -obviously, in my view- legitimate concern over a trade with a negative impact on the team due to its cap hit. Maybe your comments should be directed to those individuals who have defended the trade with bile equal to or surpassing its detractors, just as much as they are directed at me and “mine.”

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I did not say that people who dislike the trade are deadbeats and slackers. I felt i made it clear that the people who spent the ENTIRE DAY bashing Kaberle, PG, and JM both as professionals and as human beings are despicable. Also, they indeed may be better served by finding additional things to do with their time if all they can entertain themselves with repeated insults. Disagreeing isnt the problem I have, its the attitude and immaturity of a great deal of the people who were on here all day doing just that, trashing people who dont deserve it. No one has to like this trade, but they dont have be rude and insulting about it.

• Talik Sanis says:

While your intention was not to conflate those individuals with legitimate concerns over the trade and those who have expressed an admittedly poor attitude, there have been other posters here who have consistently done just that. Even if this were not the case, and they directed their comments at a particular, ill-mannered subgroup of the detractors, they illustrated the fact that persistent rudeness is failing of both groups in this debate.

The real point is simply that it appears unjust to accuse one side of despicable conduct while ignoring the same behaviour (perhaps even worse behaviour) on the other.

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

This is true, but today specifically it was only one side who was insulting PG, JM, and Kaberle as professionals as well as numerous personal attacks on their intelligence and integrity.

As for posters attacking other posters, its bedlam on here. I just hope no one takes it personally once the browser is closed for the night.

9. V says:

Guys on this site dumping on the term in Kaberle contract are the same ones that dumped all over the term in the Cole contract (and Moore, and Wiz, and…). And he’s been our second best player and looks better than he ever has.

Guys come on here and say things like, ‘PG blew this. Term of contract is horrible’, like you honestly believe PG didn’t take it into consideration. It’s a joke.

Do what you want. I’m going to enjoy watching to see how this all turns out.

10. Led says:

Wow. Hands up if you saw this one coming. Too bad Gomez couldn’t of been a throw in. Straight up probably a slight upgrade. However, it does nothing for team toughness and two more years at 4 plus could be a problem. At least we didn’t throw in picks and/or prospects a la Gainey.

11. Nina76 says:

Ste.Denis’s reward for scoring the goal last night…………..he is sent back down to Hamiliton…….GO FIGURE!!!!!! there is a millionnaire who certainly should be sent down to Hamilton long before Ste. Denis…………I would like to know how they are going to sign the unrestricted free agents………..Kaberle makes alot more money,.as for Markoff I feel he has plans to go back to his country to play & does not want to play for the habs……Gainey,PG,Martin they all know that he will not be back, we are not fools on this site too many excuses why he cannot play.Kaberle is not going to be our saviour………..he is 33 years old MY MY………Ganiey has to much control on Molson get rid of him , Martin &PG make a clean sweep.This is not the team that I have been with for over 65 yrs. There are Hab fans are fed up with this team & are going elsewhere HOW ABOUT THAT!! hard to beleive but true just check out the posters on here, at this pont I am one of those posters that is thinking of doing that………….I cannot stand to lose the games every time we play no fun to watch.MAKES ME SICK. We are the laughing stock of the whole NHL

• sevenman says:

Buddy, you need to relax before you hurt yourself

• Mozeby says:

Has anyone here figured out yet that the real problem with the team isn’t the players, or even GM, but that mute of a troll behind the bench who has the emotion of a statue. Get a coach with some balls and the team will follow. Every time this team gets a lead, they play half assed as if though they’re thinking “well this game is in the bag, I wonder what we’re eating on the plane tonight”.

12. chilli says:

There should be no Geoff Molson hate. Why do you care what the salary is, it’s not your money. Players do not want to come to Montreal. They don’t. I have a ton of friends that play in the NHL and they don’t. Tax reasons. You know where they want to play? Tampa – no taxes. And another reason they don’t want to come to Montreal is you idiots already hating on Kaberle and he hasn’t even played a game yet. He was TO’s best defensemen for many years….

Same people yelled at the Halak trade. Get a grip. Gauthier knows a lot more hockey than any of you.

We are better today than we were yesterday. You wanna know why? We just traded an injured Spacek for one of the most sought after defensemen of last year. He’s not playing well, that is correct, but we are a lot better with him than Spacek.

Stop your whining you babies.

Tre

• dorvalhabsfan says:

I totally agree with you… Kaberle is younger, can producew on the PP is bigger and not injured… a little more is totally worth it, and will help mature our younger d or just be someone who can make a great breakout pass.. Spacek wasnt overly physical and gave the puck away anyways so this is a step up.. just not a homerun

Go Habs Go

13. Bill H says:

“Smacks of desperation.” That says it all.

I think Spacek has more to offer than Kaberle. As long as his ice time is properly managed. He costs less and at the end of the season, he would be gone. We won’t be able to move Kaberle unless we package him with someone that is actually worth something. And who cares if we can buy him out? That just stretches out the cap hit over a longer period.

I really can’t see Kaberle making much of a difference at all. I will gladly eat my words if he somehow sparks the PP.

14. Sean Bonjovi says:

The funniest thing I’ve read today is that Tomas Kaberle is “un-trade-able”.

15. LafleurFan says:

Effectively, the substitution is Kaberle for St. Denis (thanks Frederic) for the next several games. Two stints on the injury list probably means Spatches (kidding) was not going to be at full speed for weeks.

“May you live in interesting times.”

16. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

now tsn and rogers sports net or even more pro toronto, it took 15 min to even mention the habs trade… on both networks, argh politics…

• sane hockey fan says:

This makes no sense. RDS (all habs all the time) is owned by Bell. Bell is a company that still owns a portion of the Canadiens. They are also headquartered in Montreal…Why you hating on TSN for reporting the biggest story of the day first. Sorry but Kaberle to the habs ins’t a bigger story than the largest sports entity in Canada being sold for a massive amount of money. BTW the trade was the second story on SC…Man I never understand people complaining just to complain!

17. Feraco says:

I wonder if Montreal targetted Kaberle but he decided to sign with Carolina?

Molson Ex mon ami

18. ont fan says:

Can’t wait for the outrage if they change the coach and GM and it isn’t who these fans want..oh yeah they don’t really know who they want..but they ain’t gonna like it

19. habsman-itoba says:

It can’t be as bad as everyone here thinks. The powerplay needs help. He’s good at those. Everyone was blaming Spacek for everything, we’ve got rid of him, and everyone complains. Why don’t we just see what Kaberle can do for us before we drill him a new anus?

20. Feraco says:

Imagine this guy comes in and puts up a point per game on the powerplay? That would just be epic!

Molson Ex mon ami

21. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Kirk needed someone more experienced/character and defensively responsible for his ‘Canes …We need an experienced ‘presence’ to QB Our PP
    …just wish it was not Kaberle based on My perception of Him as an original ‘Weed (foremost), and being perceived as ‘wishy-washy’ physically
    …I think Spatches presence was an important part of the camaraderie of Our Team …
    …the positives are that Kaberle provides a little extra size, if not physicality …mediocre defensively, but offensively an upgrade on Spacek
    …Our struggling (non-existent ?) PP being the difference between many games lost this season
    …the negatives to Me, is that I liked what Emelin, Diaz, Weber and St. Denis, PK, and Gorges were growing into …collectively as an overall quick and excellent combination of offensive/defensive group with skill-sets to best compliment Our forwards style and skill-sets
    …Kaberle’s cap-hit seems to Me to tie Us into a too-long longterm commitment for a no-longer elite offensive defenceman …although Gauthier feels He can easily be moved if He does not live up to His billing
    …someOne below brought-up the Frank Mahovlich and Dickie Duff acquisitions from the ‘Weeds years ago, but comparing Mahovlich/Duff to a run-of-the-mill like a Kaberle is apples and oranges
    …bottom-line is I hope any negativity I have will be blown-away by a much improved power play
    …let’s make a toast …to ‘hope’ :)

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

22. habs-hampton says:

Wouldn’t you just love to walk up to Geoff Molson (ala George Costanza), refuse to shake his hand, and just rip him a new one over what he has done to our beloved Habs?

Time’s up, JM must go!

• Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t understand the Geoff Molson hate. He barely has settled in to his office. He’s checking things out, learning. He’ll make moves when it makes sense, not as a knee-jerk panic reaction. If he did make these panic moves, then he’d be more like George Steinbrenner, and you could go all Costanza on his ass.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Feraco says:

This move does not make sense, has panic written all over it. If anything, he is like Steinbrenner, only Steinbrenner over paid for top stars, we are just overpaying.

Shame on you Montreal Canadians Management, shame on you.

Molson Ex mon ami

• habsfan0 says:

Or, he could be another Ralph C. Wilson, Jr., who owns the Buffalo Bills. What Wilson has done with that team is nothing short of horrific, but it’s a cash cow for him.

23. The Dude says:

Maybe a plan to get more Habs games on TSN?

• habs-hampton says:

I have TSN with Rogers, but the games are only shown in the “Montreal brodcast zone”, whatever that is.

I live in New Brunswick, which borders on Quebec, which is bilingual and has proabably the largest percentage of Habs fans outside of PQ… but we’re in the Leafs region?????

Time’s up, JM must go!

24. ont fan says:

Hasn’t played a game and everybody hates you..what a way to come to a new team..that will help his confidence..so do they boo him tommorrow afternoon

25. habs-hampton says:

in other news…about the MLSE buyout. With Rogers and Bell now owning the Leafs, I guess its going to be pretty tough for me to EVER see a English broadcast of the Habs (unless they’re playing the Leafs).

Now, I’m not a lawyer, but doesn’t this create some form of monopoly? There is a serious conflict of interest here.

Thank You RDS!!!

Time’s up, JM must go!

26. piper says:

If Molson doesn’t see the error in this move yet he sure will when one or more of Price, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Pac, Eller, Kostitsyn can’t be signed.

27. hfxhab says:

It’s time to fire Gauthier and bring in Patrick Roy as his replacement.

28. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

that poll is great.. 70% of us agree markov will play in less then 20 games!

29. The Dude says:

If Kaberle was struggling Coach Martin will redefine the word struggle to him. So in a combined 112 games neither Gomez or Kaberle have scored…well looks like my dream of being an NHL-er on back on track!…..

30. TOP DAWG says:

Carey Price will not sign a long term deal. Next Oct & Price still won’t be signed!

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

31. Boomer says:

ok so eller, subban, price, gorges, kostitsyn emelin and the year after pacioretty (contracts are up), with this 3 year contract coming in who’s going out… maybe kostitsyn or cammy at the deadline? cause we cant keep em now that kaberle is in

Boom baby!

32. nickster13 says:

I dont like it simply because its just another player in the ever growing list of players we acquired on the downside of their careers. So ya maybe right now its fine, but in 1 year we’re gonna be even more upset about a move like this…
    *sigh* Its hard to take this team seriously right now, i sure hope the kaberle move doesnt backfire like it has the potential to do.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

hey if we can package all these underachievers for a 7th round draft pick, we might actually improove by 2014

• nickster13 says:

unfortunately other teams can smell when the food is spoiling while we can’t. We’re stuck for another 3 years ish. And as you can see, the status quo is very mediocre right now, a bubble team at best.

33. piper says:

Look on the bright side. We didn’t trade away a first round pick and a blue chip prospect for him. But it still sucks.

34. TOP DAWG says:

Did Bob Gainey put PG up to this?

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

35. Laramy87 says:

As much as the trade leaves me scratching my head like the next Habs fan, I think I will give him a few games before we completely make this trade a write-off.

He was fairly sought after at last years trade deadline and he does have talent. Ya 9 assists and -12 is bad, but look where he was playing? Carolina, they are crap – look at Staal and his minue -17 or whatever. 4 games and lets see how he performs he, he does have good vision and was a pretty good set-up man in Toronto, although he wont shoot. I agree he did nothing for Bostons PP, but who knows, maybe he will perform better with the CH on his chest. Afterall, I think he is a better D-man than Spacek. Spacek was due back tomorrow and would like end up on the IR again, tomorrow.

36. NorthernHab says:

I heard that Kaberle had gone through a marital break up during the end of the Toronto fiasco. He has lost his focus for the last year or two. He showed up to Carolina out of shape. This is all just hear-say so take it as that. If true, I know a few people that have done the same.
    He is plenty young enough and if he can get it going again… we’ll be good with this trade.

Go Habs Go

37. piper says:

this team is a joke the way its been run the last few years and this just tops it off.

38. kirkiswork says:

I know I’m a bit late posting but when I heard the news this morning I almost choked in my fricken corn flakes. WTF are they thinking ?
    If this is the only move available then don’t make any move.
    I didn’t think it was possible but I think the Habs just got worse.

39. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

just a note…

we are 26th place in the league with 11 wins, and 4th highest payroll in the league…

reminds me of the rangers of old..

• Feraco says:

And we now look exactly like them.

Sad sad day in Habs land :(

Molson Ex mon ami

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

i counted 14 players on our roster that will need a contract next season and we have 20 millions to spend…

price should get around 6, and p.k will get a nice contract as well, minimum 4 or 5, so, we will be loosing alot of depth that we already do not have…

• Feraco says:

Couldn’t agree more.

Wouldn’t it be nice if Georges got offered a contract? Or Pk or Price??? ya know? Our core guys, then build around them?

Why put yourself in a position to have to worry about signing these guys?

Molson Ex mon ami

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I figured we were saving cap room for price and subban by not signing the hammer and the wiz, but apperntly not.. we just like to let players that do well for us go, and sign players that other teams publically say suck… lol

• Chuck says:

There’s no way Subban’s going to be signed for a 5-million cap hit. He’s an RFA coming off of his entry-level contract. Price is also and RFA; I can see both getting healthy good-faith raises, but nothing that’s going to force us to use Weber’s $850,000 as our sixth defenseman.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

in the perfect world price and subban sign for peanuts, but look at last off season with the RFA they all got big contracts because others teams will gladly take a very young talented player, espcically a black one in the states which would appeal to a bigger demographic and jersey sales etc

• Chuck says:

Gee, I had no idea that this deal was all about racial overtones.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

atlanta thrashers… the atlanta thrashers my friend..

• Sharks9 says:

You know the salary cap goes up every year, right? This year it went up by 6 million.

Also, we have no idea what will happen in the new CBA.

25 before 14

40. Feraco says:

I actually want to see this guy play on our team. I’m sure he will be better than St. Denis, who has played well.

But will he help us with a playoff push? Perhaps, will be help IN the playoffs? Probably not…

Would it have not been better to sign Wiz for 5 yrs at 5$ before the season ended instead of Kaberle?

THESE ARE THE ERRORS WE AS FANS ARE ANGRY ABOUT
    Bandaid fixes.

Molson Ex mon ami

41. Chuck says:

Alright everyone… a collective deep breath, and all together now…

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

42. PeterD says:

Here’s my take on the team for 2011/12 with my salary guess using the Cap Geek program…some of our talented Juniors and College grads should be expected to spend a year in Hamilton (Tinordi, Bournival, Kristo), but based this years camp, I would expect Gallagher to stick with the team next year.
    I would expect Gill to be gone next year to make room for some of our young D-men, I love the guy and his leadership, but he is getting older and slower. I also expect Webber to be traded or not with the team next year.
    The key here to getting our RFA’s signed next year is to buy out Gomez to clear cap space. Buying out Gomez would leave us with $5.688 M to work with to upgrade the team.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
    Erik Cole ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Max Pacioretty ($1.625m)
    Brian Gionta ($5.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m)
    Louis Leblanc ($1.170m) / Lars Eller ($2.000m) / A. Kostitsyn ($4.000m)
    Travis Moen ($2.000m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.715m) / Ryan White ($0.850m)

DEFENSEMEN
    Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Tomas Kaberle ($4.250m)
    Josh Gorges ($2.500m) / PK Subban ($3.000m)
    R. Diaz ($1.200m) / Alexi Emelin ($1.250m)

GOALTENDERS
    Peter Budaj ($1.150m) / Carey Price ($4.000m)

BUYOUTS: Scott Gomez ($1.801m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,611,585; BONUSES: $300,000
    CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $5,688,414

• Nice work. I’d take that $5.8M and go overpay for a free agent power forward if that’s what it takes, then deal Cammy and his salary to free up a roster spot for him.

Bump Gallagher down to Hamilton and sign a big bruising PK/faceoff 4th-liner, and I’m with you. : )

43. piper says:

could we trade Campoli now for McCabe?

44. matt jordan says:

The whole league, every fan, blogger, general manager knew that Carolina was desperate to move Kaberle. The Canes GM Rutherford has blasted Kaberle on the radio. He apparently offered Kaberle and a draft pick to the Blue Jackets (who have the league’s worst blue line) and the Jackets said no. Rutherford has publicly acknowledged that he made a mistake and he would explore any way to remove Kaberle’s contract. The sports pages in Montreal were laughing at the Hurricanes and Rutherford last week for signing Kaberle to that horrendous contract. Obviously Gauthier doesn’t read the papers, as Gauthier still felt the need to go out and acquire one of the most unproductive defenseman in the league, attached to one of the worst contracts. Remarkable.

This trade reminds me of one orchestrated by Brian Burke and the Maple Leafs this summer. Nashville was in a predicament, much like Carolina was just yesterday. Nashville had Mike Fisher and Mathew Lombardi signed to big contracts, and they could not afford both. So Burke helped Nashville out, by acquiring Lombardi for Brett Lebda. The catch? Nashville had to include Cody Franson, a hard shooting, six foot five defenseman. A very good prospect who was already NHL proven. What am I getting at here? One franchise, the Leafs, taking advantage of having more money, acquired a potentially good player with a bad contract and a top prospect. The other franchise, the Canadiens, acquired a potentially good player with a brutal contract. Both teams, the Leafs and Canadiens, did their ‘in need’ associates a favour by taking a bad contract, but only one team was smart enough to pick up a reward with the bad contract.

45. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

at least plekned will be off the damn point…i hope…

46. dhenry1234 says:

“Mr. Markov is doing well and should be back in the lineup sometime this october”

“Mr. Markov is doing well and should be back in the lineup sometime this november”

“Mr. Markov is doing well and should be back in the lineup sometime this December”

“Mr. Markov is doing well and should be back in the lineup sometime in January”

“We regret to inform you that Mr. Markov will have another surgery and will not be available this season”.

47. Spacek fills in admirably for years, playing too many minutes to compensate for other players’ injuries, is nothing but classy at all times, and the HI/O crowd calls him out, demands that we trade the bum, all that nonsense…

PG finally trades him, and the same crowd loses their minds complaining about it, because Kaberle used to be a Leaf. Give me a break.

Kaberle is undeniably a better player, and has been consistently good for years. People say he was bad in Boston, but 11 points from a defenceman in the playoffs is nothing to sneeze at. Sure, he’s had a lousy last 20 games or so, but that’s on a team so bad that Eric Staal manages to be a -17 after 20-odd games.

We will see the new look tomorrow night! We might get the first 3 goals and sit back again. But this time, instead of just Price, we now have Kaberle to hold the fort.

Maybe he can show the rest of them how to keep the puck in the other end in the 3rd period.

• habsfan0 says:

If Kaberle shows up for the game tomorrow night, it won’t be an auspicious debut for him in a Habs’ uniform as the game is being played in the afternoon.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

First post I’ve laughed out loud at all day. Picturing baby faced Kaberle showing up in NJ with his gear and sticks as the arena staff sweep the aisles. Would he get fined for missing the team charter out of town I wonder?

____________________________________________________
        They lost me 2 quarts of rum, better make it up next year with a cup!

49. East Coast Hab says:

Oh my, look what santa has dropped into our laps……a big lump of coal with skates and an ex leaf and broon to boot…..we are in serious trouble.

50. Feraco says:

To Bill re my cap management skills:

Yes. I could run the program in Excel and it would say, ok, you have this much money on contracts, and you have x amount of players to sign with x amount of dollars.

My point. The entire team cannot be on a long term / 3 + yr contract, which is where they are headed, unless they chose to lose FA or trade them.

Molson Ex mon ami

51. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

still is disbeleif, wonder if someone is paying off the habs management…

52. habs-hampton says:

I wonder if he’s any good in the shootout?

Time’s up, JM must go!

53. theflower says:

We went from having one depreciating asset that we would be removing off of our books at the end of the season in Spacek. To picking up another depreciating asset that we pay more for and get to keep for 3 more years and also potentially costs us some young talent we cannot afford to keep.

Let me know again how this is a good business move again, because I am wondering what business school PG went to that taught him this.

54. kenzie420 says:

lmfao at this redankulous Crap Storm Deal and Team, I give up!

somebody please shoot me or the entire management of this hockey club!

55. SKHab says:

I hope that he has more offensive upside and . . .

only time will tell!

56. sevenman says:

You trade crap….you get crap…nothing to see here, move on……Spacek does give a good interview….

57. Top Corner says:

Well , just like the bRuins sign an ex-hab every summer just to get inside info on the team(Ryder, Pouliout )…..mabye Kaberle remembers s few things to tell us from the basston camp that will help bust there mojo…LMAO

As a HABS FAN 4 LIFE, i;am not pumped about this…BUT Spacek for Kaberle is a win ! And like many have wrote here today , there may be some team at the deadline again or in the summer that WILL take this guy if he doesnt work out for the HABS .

…right?

58. Hobie Hansen says:

2014-2014-2014-2014-2014…….

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold the Smurf tradition high.”

59. dorvalhabsfan says:

this is a good move… hes better then spacek… and who knows maybe gomez “will” be exiled to away from montreal lol… hes better than spaco and i agree with the move.. the PP is shit. get a PP specialist.. the teams to young? get an older Dman… the Dman to old? kaberle is younger. He will allow our forwards better breakout rushes from wich to generate speend and offense better then jaro couldve… i wouldve traded him for a 3rd rounder alone.. this is better.. imagine PK with kaberle or Markov with kaberle.. or emelin with kaberle.. theyre all legitimate pairings..

Go Habs Go

60. HabFanSince72 says:

Norman Flynn of RDS hates the deal. One of the things he hates is that he is certain Kaberle will be injured a lot because he isn’t physical.

Kaberle has played 82 games in 4 of the last 6 seasons, including the last two.

61. patience is a virtue says:

Bold move. Shows the fans and the team that PG is in it to win, and that he has balls of steel.

Kaberle addresses the main issue facing the Habs and all their “could-have-won-that-one” games – the PP. Giving up Spacek was easy, and Kaberle is very durable. He also scored 47 points last year and 11 in the playoffs – 5pp assists for the Bruins who had an otherwise terrible PP. No, 1 player does not a PP make. But we have the other offensive tools, just missing a QB.

The key issue is the cap hit. This can be dealt with later I think/hope.

62. Sal says:

This trade brings shame and embarrassment to any right thinking, Leaf hating, Hab fan.

The HORROR

The HORROR

Sal from the Hammer

63. RedLight says:

Putting aside whether this was an astute move or not, a hockey question for the Commentariat. Assuming (and it’s quite an assumption at this point, but let’s imagine) that Markov makes a healthy return, we have a boatload of defensemen.

Gorges
    Gill
    Subban
    Markov
    Kaberle
    Emelin
    Diaz
    Campoli
    Weber
    St-Denis (Just in case he reads this and feels upset at being left out)

Who sits? What does your Top 6 look like? Both Diaz and Emelin have played well lately, with the latter bringing a dimension to the back end that has been lacking since… it’s been awhile.

• G-Man says:

Markov, Gorges, Gill, Subban, Kaberle, Emelin. Diaz sits or is moved. St. Denis is in Hamilton. Campoli is spare.

• RedLight says:

I’ll throw my hat in to start things off…

Markov – PK
      Kaberle – Gorges
      Gill – Emelin

And I’d imagine Campoli continues to dress. Given how we have (at some points this season, at least) been known to sing Diaz’s praises, can’t we at least feel somewhat good about the fact that our D will be strong enough that we don’t have a spot for him?

One can argue that this kind of depth is necessary, given that our defensemen have a level of durability that’s on level with… I don’t know, something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVVuKlcNJYA

On the other hand, it could also mean another trade is almost a certainty at some point.

• likehoy says:

would go with emelin and markov together

markov is at his best when he’s beside a bruiser.

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• The Dude says:

So here’s today’s game plan….For the first 5 minutes I want all the forwards to Hit Markov,Campoli and Kaberle really f’n hard,rattle them so hard they feel it in their missing wisdom teeth,but keep it legal. Then pepper Price with 60-70 shots and win the game in a shoot-out!

• Chuck says:

Markov, Kaberle, Gill, Subban, Gorges and Emelin are my top-6. Mix and match as need be, though I could easily see Markov with Emelin, Gorges with Kaberle, and Gill with Subban.

I tink that Diaz has impressed enough to take the 7th spot. Weber is a wild card, and Campoli is probably the odd man out. At this point, St. Denis is depth.

64. HabFanSince72 says:

A lot of people are saying they will admit they were wrong if this move turns out OK.

Why wait? You can admit you were wrong about Martin’s handling of Emelin. Because after 29 games he has turned into a solid NHL defenceman and he’s still improving. He hasn’t fled back to Russia as most of you predicted. He hasn’t been ruined. And he was able to learn the ropes without hurting the team.

The same could be said of Diaz, who is on a steeper portion of the learning curve.

With 4 rookies on D all season we’re only 1 point out of the playoffs.

• G-Man says:

Heavens to Betsy, man! Stop making sense!

• Chuck says:

And don’t forget… he ruined Price, Subban and Eller too, dont’cha know.

• twilighthours says:

I don’t have a problem with JM’s handling of Emelin. I do with that of Diaz.

I could also list many other areas of my dissatisfaction with JM.

Please don’t tell us that you’re thrilled with him.

—————————————————————–

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ll put up my hand and say I have a problem with Mr. Martin’s handling of Alexei Emelin. The Canadiens would have been better off playing him from the start of the season rather than making him a healthy scratch. I’m on record that we should play the youths despite their mistakes, instead of overusing Josh on a precarious knee, overusing P.K. and causing him to try to do too much, and overusing Hal Gill and his slow, aching, weary legs. I think we should do this at the cost of a few losses, as an investment in our future. These losses would not fundamentally alter our future, which is to not win the Cup this year.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

65. t1tan5 says:

I actually like this move. It’s a definite upgrade over what we have now and doesn’t hurt us in the future beyond a cap hit. Kaberle is also four years younger than Spacek so even at the end of the contract he will be younger than Spacek is now.

• Bill says:

Question, what’s it like to be mentally stable? You should offer lessons, they are needed!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• twilighthours says:

Settle down bill. There are plenty of us who dislike this trade who are sane and stable.

—————————————————————–

• habsfan0 says:

It’s interesting that your avatar is a pic of Carolina head coach Kirk Muller who apparently COULDN’T WAIT TO GET RID OF KABERLE.

• t1tan5 says:

It’s not about being stable, Bill, it’s about realizing that we have no control over the team and that the best we can do is play with the cards we are dealt. This trade is a huge gamble for sure. If Kaberle returns to (gasp!) Leafs form, then it’s a steal and a half. If he continues playing as he has this season, then it’s PG’s job on the line. So it’s really win-win for the fans: either Kaberle pans out or PG gets fired.

66. SLYDER says:

A leaf fan could do a better job running this team…

what an abomination…appalling management, piss poor coaching

and Geoff Molsen has expressed confidence in both

F$%K ME

67. pierre lapuck says:

I don’t get some of you; Weber stinks. Diaz is a ? at best, Markov and Campoli are press box Generals, Gorges is playing top 4 minutes and he’s a 5-6 dman at best, Subban in his sophmore season is getting flamed because he’s not scoring on a team where nobody scores, Gill is Gill, and Emelin is still learning. I am NOT a Kaberle fan but he’s better than half of what we’re throwing out there every night. Some of us need to relax a bit. I know I’m about to get flamed so bring it on. ( i don’t come here that often, it’s just too negative).

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I’m with you. It’s not like the complainers will ever be happy. Do they think maybe LA would have given us Doughty for Spacek or maybe Nashville would throw in Suter or Weber for a 7th rounder? They all hated Spacek, by the way, and now won’t even wait to see if this thing pans out. Am I thrilled? No. But I’m thinking we had to do something to strengthen our PP and this is about the best thing available. The Habhatingfans couldn’t run their own lives as is proven by how much time they have to spend here trashing the team’s players, coaches and management. Project much?

68. cuzzie says:

We need a GM who’s a meat eater and goes for blood.

Mr. Bad Example!

69. Habsbill24 says:

Another reason why his could be a really bad deal. The CBA is up which allocated 57% of the revenues to the players thus producing the 64 M cap. More likely the new CBA will allocate 50% or less to the players as resulted Inthe NBA lockout and the NFL. That will likely mean the Cap will go DOWN. Unless there is a significant salary rollback or generous buyout period, we are up the river without a paddle.

70. skoalbandit says:

our goaltending is good
    our pk is good
    5on5 is good
    pp brutal
    if this improves our pp, we will win more games.
    Win

71. ZepFan2 says:

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /wp-content/cache/supercache/www.hockeyinsideout.com/boone/kaberle-really/index.html on this server.

Every single day I get this stupid notice. I f-cking HATE this site now!!

———————————————————————-
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

72. durocher says:

Not to worry everyone, this is part of PG’s big plan — to package Gomez and Kaberle together for, uhm, uh, er….

Graphically:
    Step 1: package Kaberle and Gomez
    Step 2: ?
    Step 3: they are both off of our roster

73. Caper says:

Unreal. My thinking was if the HAbs lost Saturday to Jersey, Molson would clean house. Gainey would fill the role as temp GM and coach while the search began. This only delays the inevitable for Gauthier and Martin. I think Jacque Martin is a good hockey man however Gauthier has sealed his fate as well. My god. Kaberle. I hope I’m wrong.

74. Chuck says:

It strikes me that a lot of the same folks that are ready to off themselves because of this trade are the same ones that would bemoan us for letting Spacek walk for nothing in the off-season.