Habs trade Brière to Colorado for Parenteau

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced Monday afternoon that he has traded forward Daniel Brière to the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for forward Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau and a fifth-round draft pick in 2015.

In 69 regular-season games last season, Brière posted 13-12-25 totals and he added 3-4-7 totals in 16 playoff games. The 36-year-old has one season remaining on a two-year, $8-million free-agent deal he signed with the Canadiens last summer.

“Daniel is a veteran who brings experience to our hockey club,” Avalanche executive vice-president Joe Sakic said on the team’s website. “We’re looking forward to him joining our team.”

Parenteau, a 31-year-old right-winger who is 6-foot and 193 pounds, had 14-19-33 totals in 55 regular-season games this past season and added 1-2-3 totals in seven playoff games. He was born in Hull and has two years remaining on a four-year, $16-million contract with a $4-million cap hit each year.

“I’m very excited to be coming to Montreal,” Parenteau said in a conference call from Moncton. “I’m a kid from Boucherville who dreamed of playing for the Canadiens when I was a kid.

“I consider my a top-6 NHL forward,” Parenteau added. “I’m a good player and I can score and I play with an edge.”

Parentau said he wasn’t worried about the pressure of playing in Montreal.

“I think I’m old enough that I’ve learned how to deal with that,” he said. “I know some of the guys like Brandon Prust, Dale Weise and David Desharnais, so it’s not like it’s a totally new situation.”

Meanwhile, there are reports the Canadiens are trying to trade defenceman Josh Gorges to the Toronto Maple Leafs, but his modified no-trade clause could be holding things up.

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie tweeted Monday that the Leafs are still hoping Gorges will waive his no-trade clause. If that happens, McKenzie stated “it’s believed Montreal would get a roster player from Toronto” in exchange.

When reached by The Gazette’s Stubbs, Gorges said: “I want people to know that I never wanted to leave Montreal. In no way has this been my decision.”

(AP Photo/Chris Schneider)

Habs trade Briere to Avalanche, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs acquire Parenteau, canadiens.com

Leafs in pursuit of Gorges, TSN.ca

Could Habs trade Gorges to Leafs? Sportsnet.ca

Habs taking all the right steps, one at a time, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

1. AH says:

LOL! I wonder what old Danny boy thinks about his “beloved Habs whom he always wanted to play for” now? Although I do think he actually did quite well for the limited usage he got from MT, and that article below says a lot about MT IMO, but we’ll move on…as for Raggedy Andy Gorges, I so hope he is dealt, so tired of seeing him being rag dolled all day, that PeeWee shot of his that couldn’t break a 1/8 inch pane of glass, and him scoring on our goalie while bowling him over at the same time!

2. silverfox says:

Seems obvious that Gorges was the leak. Can’t see what the teams would have gained. So Gorges was being sooky because he saw himself as a valued leader, which he probably was. But was he fast enough? Does he shoot right? Does he deserve 3.9? No, no, no. Weaver is every bit as good. Sign him for peanuts and then go after an upgrade. Seems to make a lot of sense MB. PA parenteau is good gamble even though Tavares is likely the reason for his really good season. Briere just doesn’t fit. The experiment didn’t work out so we try a new experiment and get a 5th rounder (15% chance) to boot.

3. habsfan2014 says:

First of all I love this trade and with Therrien locked in for 4 more years, its clear he is clearing out those who do not share their appreciation for him. I’m not the biggest MT fan but I believe in MB and I cannot deny MT impressed me this year.

Here is an interesting article on Briere….

4. centre hice says:

The NHL changed the rules this year and teams are allowed to “talk” to players before the July 1 FA begins. I believe that Stephane Robidas has already agreed to come to the Habs which is why Gorges is now being traded.

I like Gorges very much. I thought that even though the C was not on his sweater, he was pretty much the captain of the team. But he takes a beating. He frequently takes big hits from opposing forwards.

BTW, the player I hope we get from the leafs………………

LEO KAMAROV

5. SmartDog says:

What’s the poop on Parenteau?
    Are we out of the frying pain into the fire on this one?
    Seems like a guy with a lot of injuries who never reached his potential.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

6. wildwilly says:

Maybe we’re getting David Clarkson?

(Pause for the screams)

:-)

7. vegas says:

Sure Gorges is a nice guy and all, and he’s all heart
    But we have to make some room for the kids and Emelin has to get back to the left side. So something has to give

We need right D and with size
    Actually we need right everything

8. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

And so Josh Gorges trade value goes down, down, down ….

If the plan is really to get Dan Boyle for Josh Gorges (in essence) please temper the urge to erect a statue in MB’s honour.

Dan Boyle has A LOT of miles on his body and with the slowing footspeed, he will make JG look like Lidstrom when it comes to avoiding hits.

Don’t get me wrong, in the grand scheme of things, DB would be an upgrade on Gorges but marginal, not dramatic.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

9. hamiltonbulldogs says:

Thank god !!!! MB redeemed himself on this one!!!

10. krob1000 says:

Patches-DD-Pa – The Mama’s (DD’s) and the PaPa’s line!

11. kalevine says:

I am pretty happy at the moment. Bergevin is looking like a guy who really is not consent to stand pat, and who wants to assemble the pieces to win. It’s hard not to feel badly for Gorges who is as good as gone, but, at the same time, Mathieyu Darche showed us that just wanting to be in a Habs uniform with all one’s heart isn’t enough.

12. ProHabs says:

How come the name of the Habs player in the deal gets leaked (Gorges) but the name of the Leafs player doesn’t./

13. Habitant in Surrey says:

You Gorges haters have no idea what His passion to The Team means.

An IDIOT move, let alone insulting to the core, to want to trade Him to the miserable Weeds, the ultimate insult.

I am happy about Briere, but I am totally disappointed in Bergevin for what He did to Gorges.

You think it’s no big deal ? …just wait what this will do to the Team’s overall loyalty and passion for The Team.

If They weren’t carpetbaggers before, They are certainly carpetbaggers now. :(

• mrhabby says:

stop blaming MB we have no idea whats really going down here other than some bush leaque reporters yapping.

• twilighthours says:

A bit of an overreaction, no?

So Christopher, what if indeed it was true that the Leafs approached MB with an offer he couldn’t refuse, afterall his job as GM is to make the Habs the best team he can make. Upon receiving the offer from T.O. he politely approaches Gorges and asks if he is willing to waive his NTC. Gorges says no thanks, but the other side leaks the story.

You still consider MB an idiot in that scenario?

• Ron says:

You’ll get over it Chris, besides you won’t beable to watch next year anyway.. :D

14. Un Canadien errant says:

New thread.

15. Thurston says:

Darren Dreger just tweeted that Shanahan is trying to encourage Gorges to accept the trade to the Leafs but to no avail thus far. But, as Dreger puts it, “still a chance.”

16. PK says:

Interesting day in Habsland.
    Parenteau will take Gionta’s spot, one presumes.
    Getting rid of Briere for Parenteau probably better than Bourque for Parenteau.
    (i.e. rumours earlier this year regarding Bourque to the Avalanche).

Esp. if Bourque brings his A, or even B game, during the season

What happened to leadership and professionalism when it comes to Gorges? We should not really be seeing him complain to the media. Hockey is business, players get traded, Gorges should know that. I am hoping to see the young D get more playing time, next season … MB is showing his colours as a good manager.

Gorges has been a loyal Hab but time to move on … now that this is all in the press …

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• johnnylarue says:

While there’s something ever-so-slightly whiny about Gorges’ public proclamation, I do see it primarily as an honest emotional response to being dumped by the team he loves.

I think he genuinely bleeds bleu-blanc-rouge, at least as much as any player on our active roster.

• PK says:

I think you are right, Ted.
        Gorges sees a brighter future for the Habs and wants to be a part of it.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
        _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

17. Forum Dog says:

Gorges for Lupul makes no sense for the Leafs. Not that that is a pre-requisite, but I’d say that type of return is unlikely. And then there is the question of why MTL would want Lupuls contract coming back when the idea is to clear a bit of space.

18. CJ says:

Love him or hate him, Bergevin has balls of steal dealing with a division rival like Toronto. But, if they are offering the best deal, I like the willingness to take a swing.

• kalevine says:

agreed. I am very impressed at ther moment. The team as prsently constituted cannot be a championship team, not with pieces like Gionta and Gorges around, who only bring about half value for what they are being paid. Out you go, hopefully Gio is next. Please do hold the door for them though, and thank them for their service

19. Captain aHab says:

Can’t really see Gorges relishing being moved to the West where he’ll get beaten to a pulp every game.

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

20. Psycho29 says:

Martin Lemay RDS‏ @MartinLemay ·11 mins
    I wonder if Avs will buyout Briere to free more money for Stastny.
    Briere cheaper to buyout than Parenteau

• CJ says:

They (the Av’s) say they aren’t buying him out.

Interesting possibility. The salary cap sure does make one realize how trades are no longer about the players anymore, or at least to a point.

• johnnylarue says:

That would be a sad turn of events for Danny… Although if hewere to subsequently find another team to sign him, he would have the dubious honour of being the first NHL player to be actively collecting paychecks from three different NHL teams!

21. toinz says:

Pacioretty Desharnais Lupul
    Galchenyuk Plekanec Gallagher
    Bourque Eller Parenteau
    Wiese Prust Moen
    White

That is not a terrible lineup at forward. This presumes that we are looking at a Gorges for Lupul swap. That trade leaves Montreal with plenty of space to lock up Subban and Eller, and maybe even pursue a true 4th line centre like Brian Boyle or Steve Ott and trade Moen’s 1.8m cap hit.

22. Captain aHab says:

Subtracting Gorges would remove 1 goal per game from the opposition from Gorges not deflecting it in while playing goalie.

—————-
    Prepare to be boarded!!

23. Un Canadien errant says:

If Marc Bergevin can somehow get to a point where he subtracts Josh Gorges and adds Dan Boyle for roughly the same cap hit, he’s the GM of the Year, hands down, and it’s not even the beginning of the year yet.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Captain aHab says:

Word.

—————-
      Prepare to be boarded!!

I don’t disagree with Norm, but you seemed so adamant he screwed up in signing Markov, I would think that would preclude him from such an award. :)

Edit: I’m being tongue in cheek CJ, just that I really believe in MB and have just been happy to sit back and watch. I no longer get worked up at individual deals, as i really believe he sees the big picture.

• CJ says:

Cheers Burly. Overall, I’m very pleased with the body of work thus far. We are heading in the right direction. I like Markov, but not the third year. As you, Chris and others have pointed out – rightfully so mind you, there wasn’t better options available.

Sure, I’d have loved to move Markov for a younger player, but my wants don’t necessarily translate into reality. In any event, I’m excited for the future.

Lastly, what some need to realize is that to make an omelette, you need to break some eggs. If trading Gorges sheds salary and/or addresses a need elsewhere, so be it. Do the deal and move on.

24. krob1000 says:

ok I know Parenteau’s numbers but have not seen enough of him…I know he was in ROy’s doghouse at times but is he kind of like a slightly bigger tanguay? More playmaker than scorer? Just trying to figure out who they envision him with…is he going to play with Pleks? DD? or Eller?

25. Vladdy Mondavi says:

Re: Gorges to Toronto. I can’t think of a single Laff that would look good in aHabs Jersey

26. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“Rah-rah” Gorges has become “Wah-wah” Gorges. The great thing about this trade rumour is that it has brought out all the legitimate Gorges criticisms in the media (especially TSN 690). Finally…

• slyCH says:

I always snickered to posters claiming he should wear the C. Where are they now? I’m reminded of one of Boy Gorges’ contemporary’s hit when listening to his whining now, “true colors” Shinning through aren’t they.

It’s a little harsh because I don’t despise the man, but it’s time to move on. Bring up the bigger guns. Pateryn for one. I’m finally getting a sense the management is implementing their strategy. This is exciting times.

27. slyCH says:

If the Habs waive him and he ends up in TO for nothing in return that would mirror my 1st divorce.

28. Say Ash says:

Parenteau will get the torch first. Is this confirmed?

29. krob1000 says:

All I can say is PA parenteau…if you are out there….please be sure to give my little guy hockey pucks when he goes to the games! BRiere gave him 3 and Parros was the other guy who knew to cater to the little kids and flip pucks….someone pick up the slack please.

30. Un Canadien errant says:

It’s official now that the Canucks have approached Jarome Iginla. He would be great on the Sedins’ right wing.

Matt Sekeres and Blake Price of Vancouver TEAM 1040 discussed the Josh Gorges situation, they described him as “Kevin Bieksa without the offence”, and being even more physical, “by necessity”, since he doesn’t score.

I hope Trevor Linden is under the same misapprehension, we could swindle them in a trade again.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

31. kalevine says:

I know I could look it up, but it would be nice if the article said how old Parenteau is, considering it gives Briere’s age of whih we are all painfully aware

I haven’t been thrilled with Briere for long stretches of the season, but I think he did what was asked of him, scoring a fair number of points given his limited ice time, and coming up big several times in the playoffs, again with limited ice time

32. Say Ash says:

Volchenkov or Gorges?

33. joeybarrie says:

I wish it was Gorges for Kadri just to see Cherry’s head explode….

34. Un Canadien errant says:

***Re-posted from the previous thread***

Lots of talk about No Trade Clauses this morning, how they don’t make any sense, should never be awarded to players other than a Sidney Crosby or Jonathan Toews.

Sure, some GM”s get hoodwinked, but what often happens is that a player will accept less money, give up the ‘hometown discount’, in return for a NTC, an assurance that he doesn’t have to leave a city and team he loves.

Curtis Glencross is a great example, he’s an Alberta boy through and through, grew up in ranch country, now owns his own ranch. His in-laws own a ranch. His parents still have a ranch. He loves the cowboy lifestyle. So he signed a sweetheart deal to play with the Flames, with the understanding that he’d never have to leave, that he could mind his place and help out at his family’s ranches.

Same with Ryan Kesler. Mike Gillis, for all that he’s been criticized, was very good at retaining his players who were about to go UFA, and doing so at reasonable deals. The understanding for the players was that they’d be with a group and coach they liked, and a contending team, so to remain in Vancouver held value for them. They gave up a little money to stay in Vangroovy.

Unfortunately, Mr. Gillis whiffed on a few trades and UFA signings, and the team headed downhill. The players now had to contend with John Tortorella. And they apparently would have to play through a rebuild.

So you can see how Ryan Kesler would approach Mike Gillis and say: “Yo, dude. I didn’t sign up for this.”

So yeah, I agree in general that GM’s should refrain from handing out NTC’s. Marc Bergevin has been relatively successful in doing so.

Yes, Pierre Gauthier flubbed this one, signed the Gorges deal under duress, but nowadays these No Trade Clauses are the cost of doing business, the going rate. Josh asked for it, received it, and we can’t blame him for being greedy about it.

If anything, that he turned down a trade to the Leafs makes him rise in my esteem even more.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Captain aHab says:

You saying Gorges gave us a home town discount?

To me, this is another example of a guy getting caught in the crosshairs because of a bad contract. If he had gotten what he should have gotten at the time, he might not be trade bait right now.

MB wants cap space. I would not expect us to get much from him but then we got a decent return for I-love-Montreal-now-that-I’m-old-and-lame Brière

—————-
      Prepare to be boarded!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

No. In an earlier post, I talked about how Josh’s contract came about. I didn’t posit that he’d given the team a hometown discount, but rather that Pierre Gauthier fumbled this one, signed the contract with a gun to his head. I’ll repost it above. He got a high salary, term, AND a limited NTC. I thought we might grown into the deal, it might become more reasonable, but Marc Bergevin doesn’t think so, evidently.

I’ll re-post that above. (EDIT: I re-posted in the new thread)

Happy with the trade with Colorado too, we drop an older centre and gain a scoring right winger. Much, much better fit.

35. ProHabs says:

All these moves are fine and dandy but when are the Habs going to get a goon to replace Parros.

36. Feraco says:

Lupus would be nice

37. munch17 says:

I guess Parenteau would be 3rd line RW.
    Good bye Captain Gionta.

38. Feraco says:

Kadri? Ummm no thanks

39. CH Marshall says:

Finding out that Nonis is Dregger’s cousin pretty much confirms to me that the Leafs make up and believe their own hype

• smiler2729 says:

Dreger counts against the Leafs cap

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
      The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

40. Feraco says:

I know this deal has to happen because as good as George’s is he is not a top 4 Dman. Yet it still sucks. He has been great for and on the team since he came here. There is obviously a contract there for Weaver and Pateryn, Tinordi and Beaulieu will all have a shot on the roster next season.

TO THE LEAFS that sucks lol

41. Habcouver says:

I can’t imagine Gorges in a Laffs jersey, but I can see him being a ‘Nuck.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

42. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The only criticism I have of MB is he should have realized Gorges would never go to the Leafs who are a gong show.

I suspect there is more to the Gorges trade attempts than just salary/performance. The leadership group is changing in the room and Gorges may not have been crazy about it. I have a feeling management is going to go “all in” with PK next season and make him the captain. Don’t think Gorges would be happy with that.

• SPATS says:

Price is now the undisputed leader (Golden boy)
      PK showed his leadership OFF the ice vs the B’s
      Markov leads the Euros
      Gio led quietly, Gorges was a vocal leader by vacuum
      Neither are required going forward and 9 mill goes a long way to improving

43. ProHabs says:

Were the Habs getting Kadri for Gorges

44. Cal says:

Damn! I should have waited for the trade announcement.

Oh, well: http://calshabsongparodies.weebly.com

45. smiler2729 says:

Can’t they trade Emelin instead of Gorges, geez, I love that guy.

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

@DarrenDreger via Twitter –

“Leafs will talk to Brodeur, but my sense is the interest is mild.”

Dave Nonis is a brilliant GM, bravo!

46. Habs_Fan_In_San_Diego says:

2nd?

Another awesome trade by Bergevin.

——————
    My avatar ==> San Diego in January

47. scavanau says:

Am I close?
    Edit: Damn…

48. Arnou Ruelle says:

Ok, now what? haha! first one to post.