Habs to scrimmage at Bell Centre Monday night (with video)

With an extended break between games after sweeping the Tampa Bay Lightning in the first round of the playoffs, the Canadiens decided to try something new Monday to simulate game-day conditions.

Instead of practising at 10:30 Monday morning in Brossard, the team held a “morning skate”. That was to be followed by a scrimmage at the Bell Centre at 7 p.m. that will be closed to fans and the media. The 10 members of the Hamilton Bulldogs who have been practising in Brossard will be worked into the lineups for the scrimmage. The Canadiens will also hold a “family activity” at 5 p.m. at the Bell Centre.

“We don’t yet know when our series against the Bruins will start, but we haven’t had a game in a while and we wanted to have the best preparation possible, so this is why we organized the day in this way,” Canadiens coach Michel Therrien told reporters in Brossard. “We also thought it was important for the players’ families to experience the moment, so we added an afternoon activity which adds them to the schedule.”

The Canadiens were still waiting to hear from the NHL when their Eastern Conference semifinal series against the Boston Bruins will start.

The Canadiens will not practice on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the Canadiens’ P.K. Subban will not be a repeat winner of the Norris Trophy as the NHL’s top defenceman. The league announced the three finalists for this year’s award on Monday and they are Boston’s Zdeno Chara, Chicago’s Duncan Keith and Nashville’s Shea Weber.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at Monday’s morning skate:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Prust-Plekanec-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller -Gionta
Moen-Briere-Weise
Bournival-White-Parros

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Weaver
Tinordi-Murray

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

Canadiens stage cone-of-silence game, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Bruins vs. Habs: As it must be, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

It won’t be easy, but pick Habs in seven, by Jack Todd

Rehearsal day, Canadiens.com

Morning skate interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Subban ready to take the heat in Boston, montrealgazette.com

Lucic thrives as playoff villain, montrealgazette.com

Past stats vs. Bruins meaningless, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

After long wait, Canadiens can now prepare for Bruins, NHL.com

A happy birthday to Ginette Reno, Stu on Sports blog

Bruins as ready as ever to take on Canadiens, Boston Globe

You can trust these Bruins, Boston Herald

Chara, Keith, Weber voted Noris finalists, NHL.com

Chara committed to protecting own end first, NHL.com

1. johnnylarue says:

Gaborik vs Havlat in a ridiculously physical series; their respective insurance brokers, understandably, are on suicide watch.

2. Habilis says:

So it looks like we go Friday. Obviously this means no Saturday game again. That’s one thing but it also means that the game will probably be in the afternoon on Sunday to accommodate NBC. I hate afternoon games.

Also, and this is pretty trivial, but I feel like an afternoon game is of slight benefit to the Bruins. They played a ton of weekend afternoon this past season, I swear it seemed like every 2nd week they had a 1pm or 3pm start. It was a much rarer occurrence for us. As such, it could be that the Bruins have their routine down to a science and we do not.

Mostly I’m just whining because I’d rather watch my Habs game on Saturday night as it should be. I just don’t get why they can’t go ahead and start on Thursday.

• johnnylarue says:

The silver lining is that rust will be an equal factor for both teams by then. That’s a very good thing.

• PrimeTime says:

Most of the doomers and downers about Bos and Mtl are the same posters who were the same all season including the Olympics. Credibility: zero. All the BJ jokes tonight? Grow the F up!!

• PrimeTime says:

This was not directed to Habilis

• johnnylarue says:

[Struggles fiercely to write a lame BJ joke riffing on the phrase "Grow the F up"...]

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Friday? How do you figure that. The Garden is being used for commencement ceremonies.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

I’m betting on a Thursday start. But Boston radio says Saturday afternoon.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• Habilis says:

Bergevin said Friday in his interview on CBC tonight. I’m assuming that the NHL has already given him a head’s up because of travel accommodations.

It’s not for sure, but that’s also what’s going around twitter. Kevin Paul DuPont heard Friday-Sunday as well.

And the commencement you’re referring to is on Friday morning. Shouldn’t impact anything other than morning skates if they do play that day, and those will just be relocated.

I hope you’re right and it is on Thursday. But I’m reading otherwise ATM.

3. Butterface says:

That loss was bad to the Boone.

I missed the BJ pun-a-thon :(

But they sure were sloppy in their own end.

I can’t believe there is a Silver investigating a Sterling.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

4. Butterface says:

That loss was bad to the Boone.

I missed the BJ pun-a-thon :(

But they sure were sloppy in their own end.

I can’t believe there is a Silver investigating a Sterling.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

5. johnnylarue says:

Kings organist just rocked the Game of Thrones theme. Props!

6. Willy the bum says:

Michel Pagliaro should do the Canadian anthem on the Habs-Bruins games, when Madame Reno is on tour…

7. Storman says:

Boone JennAir worked himself to the bone in that BJ comeback, that kid sure played a hard game.

8. johnnylarue says:

Ya know, watching this Kings/Sharks game, I’m noticing that all of the chintzy hooking-from-behind and holding calls the refs aren’t calling are actually making the game more fun to watch–as opposed to slowing players down and stifling offence.

You can tell that there’s a certain amount of clutching and grabbing that’s just a natural, instinctive reaction to playing a contact sport, and letting a certain amount of that slide just seems to make the players try harder/play with more intensity.

Granted, I realize that might not be the case on a weeknight game in the middle of January (hockey was just as boring in the 90s)… but there’s something to be said for “letting ‘em play”–so long as vertebrae aren’t being dislocated and/or fractured, of course.

9. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Can we get Pierre Lalonde to sing the US anthem?

10. habs001 says:

Habs limited offensive capabilities from their D may be a deciding factor in the series if the Bruins continue to get scoring and offensive support from their D…After PK there is very little offense from the D..Markov has not provided any offense the last 2 months and his pp performance has been too static and slow…

• johnnylarue says:

Habs D might not have racked up the points in the TB series, but they were very active in the offensive zone with timely pinches to maintain puck possession and help the forecheck.

But I agree–Boston are great at cramming the crease and hitting the net from the points. Very different team from the one we faced… uh… when was the first round again? Two months ago…?

• habs001 says:

In the Tampa series the Habs D had their best pinching and puck possession performance in years…But it was absent most of the 82 games and will have to be present to beat Boston…Since most of the games will be low scoring the Habs cannot afford to lose the scoring stats by a wide margin to the Boston D…

11. Say Ash says:

This LA/SJ game is tremendous hockey. I can’t believe one of these teams has to be knocked out in the first round.

12. AceMagnum says:

Hypothetically, if Los Angeles and Montreal were to play in the Stanley Cup final this year, who would have home ice advantage? Since their records are identical how is it determined?

13. SmartDog says:

Some funny BJ lines. In my view, the best was this one by @JohnnyLarue:

“Gotta hand it to those BJs–even when they’re bad, they’re still pretty good.”

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

14. monmick says:

For the BJs to end this way; it must be very difficult to swallow…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

15. johnnylarue says:

I don’t like the Habs against either of these two Cali teams, to be honest. They’re both Bostonesque in their physicality, only much faster–negating one of the Habs only advantages over the Bs.

(And for that matter the Bs are hardly “slow” anymore, a few aging defencemen excluded…)

16. Storman says:

When the BJ’s kept getting closer and closer I tapped the TV to let Fleury know they were getting close.

17. monmick says:

I’m convinced the BJ’s will be even better next year…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

18. johnnylarue says:

Pff… “donzerly light”… What the hell is that, anyway? A fancy word for purple?

19. Danno says:

Everyone was standing up and cheering for their BJ’s

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

20. SmartDog says:

Wow. Love those BJs. They really looked like they were going to finish with a bang.

And in the west… I don’t know why, but I’m really hoping for Colorado to lose. Too many Patrick Roy stories. St. Patrick was a heckuva goalie and he looks like he’s going to be a good coach, but I don’t like his antics.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Willy the bum says:

Roy was a bit of an egoist, but somehow that also helps to be competitive. Roy may need to give a bit of respect to others if he has to go far.

21. Willy the bum says:

Hey, Ginette Reno turns 68 today. Wish her a wonderful, healthy birthday! And hopefully bring some of her good luck for the next Habs games!

22. Marc10 says:

I’m sure it’s been mentioned before on this thread, but… really?! Chara a finalist? Nonsense.

He’s about to get exposed big time.

23. Mattyleg says:

Foligno seemed like the only player on the BJs for the entire series.
    Him and the Wiz.
    Who was visible for less positive reasons…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habsfan0 says:

Yeah, what was with the Wiz tonight?
      He didn’t exactly distinguish himself.

• monmick says:

Wiz made a couple of absolutely terrible pinches at the end of the game making it easy for the Pens to clear and in fact almost score in the empty net. On one occasion, he just basically abandoned the blue line and plant himself right in the slot…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• monmick says:

Nick Felattio is over-rated, in my opinion…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

24. Psycho29 says:

Man those BJs were something else tonight!

25. Marc10 says:

Colorado down on a 5 on 3… Statsny gets out of the box and scores on a breakaway. Ridiculous.

A very ‘opportunistic’ team.

26. monmick says:

Stastny is really playing for a contract…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

27. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Good for the Blue Jackets, and especially their fans. The wild card team gave the Penguins everything that they could handle. Fleury might just be the worst ‘big name’ goalie out there. If he didn’t play for the Penguins, he’d be carving out a career for himself in the AHL.

X X X X 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• Willy the bum says:

Fleury can’t help smiling during a chat with Cassie Campbell-Pascal. Just wait ’til he and the Pens loses to whoever team in the Rangers-Flyers match-up.

28. Willy the bum says:

No more BJs in the springtime.

29. johnnylarue says:

Gotta hand it to those BJs–even when they’re bad, they’re still pretty good.

30. Mattyleg says:

Poor BJs.
    Good excitment in the end, though.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

31. Storman says:

4-0, I go to spike my hair come back and its 4-3

32. Willy the bum says:

CBJs are pulling a Habs comeback.

33. monmick says:

Madame Jigger coming in?

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

34. Haberoooo13 says:

wow…2 close ones already since 4-3
    but Wiz almost ended the comeback with an alltime giveaway

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

35. Paz says:

Just wondering how many still believe Eller and Subban have hockey IQ issues?

How stupid was that!

• The Jackal says:

Just wondering how many people still think MT is a bad coach

;)

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Marc10 says:

Look at Bylsma and Hitch… By all accounts they are solid coaches and yet… they’re only as good as their goalie.

Babcock looked ordinary against Boston. Lacked big time goaltending…

• Paz says:

Subban and Eller had their hockey IQs questioned here. Even Boone was questioning Eller’s IQ repeatedly.

It was embarrassing.

When coaches win they are “good”. When they lose they get fired.

Who cares about this coach? I don’t.

Even you admitted that, at best, Therrien is a short term coach here. You posted that several times.

But Subban and Eller? Two cornerstones of this franchise. Ripped and shredded here over and over.

Embarrassing.

36. jols says:

What a game. Great for hockey in Columbus. The fans are going nuts.

37. Willy the bum says:

Holy crap, 4-3 Pens, with less than 5 min to go. CBJs are really catching up.

38. Mavid says:

holy shit…4-3 back to the CBJ game it is!!

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

39. boing007 says:

Jackets have just scored three goals. Five minutes to go. Down by one. Fleury going flaky again.

Richard R

40. Prop says:

Now it gets interesting, CBJ down by 2 now.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

41. monmick says:

Imagine if the Bourque-Parenteau trade had actually happened and Bourque would be playing for the Avs the way he is currently playing for the Habs…

Roy would look like a genius (even more than he does already)…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

42. 1010 says:

Bergevin is the one who mentioned that it starts Friday.

GO HABS…

43. Willy the bum says:

Got to admire CBJ fans after the team’s short-hander. Knowing they may be eliminate tonight, the crowd pumps up no matter what.

44. AceMagnum says:

I don’t understand why Roy hasn’t pulled the goalie yet.

45. Butterface says:

Ron MacLame…….. he certainly can turn a phrase.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

46. Donkey Hoat says:

Did Ronald McDonald announce during the Bergevin interview that the MTL-BOS series would start on Friday?

47. Butterface says:

Lucic’s cup lifting days are over.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

48. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Does anyone know what the Boston Bruin equivalent is of HI/O? I feel like poking the bear.

X X X X 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• boing007 says:

Try the Boston Herald or the Boston Globe. Or one of Peladeau’s rags, if he has one there.

Richard R

• punkster says:

Just don’t tell them you’re from here or they’ll follow you home like a pack of rabid dogs. Remember what happened the last time we played them in the playoffs? We were infested for weeks and had to fumigate daily.

Release the Subbang!!!

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Already though of that and created a new email account. Once that bear stench gets in the upholstery, a truckload of Febreeze couldn’t help you.

X X X X 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• Butterface says:

Poking the bear ? Lucic has been doing that…… oh wait, no, He has been poking the berries. My mistake.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

49. Willy the bum says:

Vitale stuck out his leg to knee Comeau, and he’s the one who got hurt. What a lame-o.

50. frontenac1 says:

Jeeze Marc! I like your dance moves but Comb your Hair! No more Porcupine sh#t!

51. Mavid says:

Funny the things you notice..I was watching the interview and he has a cloth hanky in his pocket, my dad used to always carry one in his pocket. I don’t think very many men do that any more, do they?

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• CJ says:

That Tom Ford hanky is probably $250. That’s the primary reasons guys no longer do it. I have one which I got for Christmas, that I reserve it for special occasions.

Bergevin always looks great. Not that I’m a fashion critique, but I love his style.

• monmick says:

Sure, but I agree with Front that his teenage hairstyle has to go…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• CJ says:

He pulls it off pretty well. I love fashion, but with two little boys, I’m so guarded with what I wear. I don’t have the bank roll to replace J Lindeberg pants every week…..

I reserve my fashion for work and the golf club. Otherwise, I’m in sweats or shorts lol. I’m just envious of Bergy, even if he has spiked hair.

• Mavid says:

mmmm no he looks perfectly fine

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

52. B says:

Bergevin said “when we play Friday”. Has it been officially announced?

–Go Habs Go!–

53. boing007 says:

A Boston Globe writer called Boston the Hub of Hockey. Yeah, sure. Maybe wheelhub.

Richard R

54. Haberoooo13 says:

Looks like another tough game for Fucale…

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

55. Storman says:

Did MB just wake up. what’s up with the gumby spike hair deal..

56. AceMagnum says:

Nice faux hawk Marc

and I like the way he cut off MacLean in mid sentence.

57. Haberoooo13 says:

Coming up..
    Ron: Well Marc, you guy really lucked out in the last round
    Marc: Well I think you’re a fool
    Ron: Bishop hurt, French refs…
    Marc: Now I know you’re a fool

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

58. Willy the bum says:

Marc Begervin coming up on HNIC’s Second Intermission… I’m really watching this; Habs addiction.

59. sCOTT1243 says:

CBC Interviewing MB…coming up.

60. boing007 says:

MB on CBC in two minutes.

Richard R

61. Habcouver says:

I’m glad Healy informed us of Malkin’s good scoring chances and cashing in with goals. I’m sure going to miss his analyses next season!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

62. Habfun says:

Habs in 6
    Book it!

It’s all about the CH

63. Willy the bum says:

CBJs have 3rd period to catch up the Pens, I’m sure of it.

64. Mavid says:

Uh oh..I think the CBJ are done…too bad I was rooting for them..mind you I thought the Ducks were going to lose too…so you never know

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

65. Storman says:

Or how about John Lu asking Lars Eller if Gudļevskis was like the goalie he faced in Sochi,, how do these reporters get their jobs ,,

66. Storman says:

LMfAO Patrick was that your first overtime game winner,, well i did not see her in the scrum , hope she was cute at least..
    I really wish Kane would have reminded her at least of that little overtime winner to win the 2010 Stanley Cup, but he decided to play nice..

67. Danno says:

Where can I get an all-black CH cap like PK?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

68. CHicoHab says:

Cherry promoting bruins rather than a Canadian team. Did he wear that tie during leaf bruin season last year??

69. JUST ME says:

O.k. since it is practice time tonight :

Do they put water in the bottles?
    Is Ginette Reno standing on the ice NOT singing the anthems ?
    Is Youppi running in the stands with no costume on ?
    Is Michel Lacroix announcing penalties and goals in a Fisher Price microphone?
    Are the lights on ?
    Is Michel Therrien running from one bench to the other ?
    Do they sell empty glasses of beer?

Is it time for that damn round 2 to begin for me ?

70. Willy the bum says:

My fearless prediction for Habs-Bruin rivalry: Habs in 4, considering Budaj should play at the TD Garden while Price at the Bell Centre.

Tonight, I go for Columbus ’cause I’m tired of seeing Pittsburgh advancing, knowing they won’t be going far anyways. No heart whatsoever on Crosby and co.

71. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

What’s all of this talk I see on here about “if” we beat the Bruins? Habs play their game, and they will win. Book it.

X X X X 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

72. Danno says:

How come the camera angles for hockey are way better at Nationwide Centre in Columbus than they are at MSG in New York?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Un Canadien errant says:

That’s been an acute problem, for a protracted period of time.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Nationwide was built with sight lines for hockey in mind. It’s a nice arena; I’ve been there for both hockey and concerts. MSG is just a rink shoehorned into a basketball court, and no amount of paint can change that.

X X X X 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• habcertain says:

having been to a game at the MSG, the incline of the bottom tier is less severe than many other arena, so the cameras appear to be a lot further from the action.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Not only that, but you can’t see the action up against the boards on your side of the arena. The should have blown the place up and started over.

X X X X 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

73. Un Canadien errant says:

The dam breaks. The sleeping giant awakes. They should have let the sleeping dog lie.

Evgeni Malkin scores two goals early in the first period.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

74. WVHabsfan says:

Gotta love The Simpsons UCE!

75. Psycho29 says: