Habs to ice strong lineup against Devils Monday night

The Canadiens will be going with a strong lineup for Monday’s exhibition game against the New Jersey Devils at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690). There are only two players in the lineup who are on the bubble for the opening night lineup – forward Michael Bournival and defenceman Jarred Tinordi.

The forward lines reflect some depth. Max Pacioretty, David Desharnais and newcomer Daniel Briere will resume their quest for chemistry. Working Briere into the mix has been a work in progress, but there are three more exhibition games to work out the kinks.

Tomas Plekanec will be between Rene Bourque and Brandon Prust, who is filling in for Brian Gionta.  The captain says he’s ready to go, but the team is being cautious as Gionta returns from biceps surgery.

The EGG line has the two Gallys – Brendan Gallagher and Alex Galchenyuk – on either side of Lars Eller, and Bournival will play with Travis Moen and Ryan White. Bournival’s spot is usually occupied by Prust.

Tinordi will be on the No. 3 defence pairing with Francis Bouilllon. P.K. Subban and Josh Gorges are the No. 1 pair, while Andrei Markov will be with Rafael Diaz.

Carey Price is expected to play the entire game in goal.

Greg Pateryn was not part of Monday’s morning skate in Brossard. He’s out with a lower-body injury, which explains his limited action in Saturday’s 3-1 loss to Carolina.

(Photo by Marie-France Coallier/The Gazette)

Habs lineup vs. Devils Monday night, Canadiens.com

Gionta wears the ‘C’ with class, by Dave Stubbs

Bournival the flavour of the week for Habs, by Jack Todd

Habs cut first-round pick McCarron, by Pat Hickey

Former Hab Riopelle dies at age 92, by Ottawa Citizen

Devils hope Jagr can return in time for season opener, Bergen-Record

1. habs-fan-84 says:

Tinordi is so ready.

2. Adidess says:

My God, am I getting soft or what? Can’t wait for those fights to end when they start. Especially when a player on my team is involved…

3. Bill says:

Another opinion I have about fighting in hockey is that you’ve got no business fighting with a visor on. Urbon is a chump for starting that fight with a shield on against a smaller opponent. Obviously Prust won the fight anyway, but you could really bust your hand up punching a visor.

• slapshot777 says:

I thought there was some kind of rule brought in regarding fighting with a visor on correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you had to remove your helmet or was that just a code between players

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• HabFab says:

Believe it is an extra minor penalty to remove visor or helmet.

• slapshot777 says:

I see some players both do it when they are fighting I don’t remember seeing it in the box score about an extra 2 minutes for removing a helmet but you still could be right.

I still think a player starting a fight who has a visor should get 2 for instigating and an extra 2 for starting a fight with a visor. This will make these players think twice.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• HabFab says:

Believe it is a new rule to prevent fighting. Two guys wrestled the other night and removed the other guys helmets before fistacuffs. Thereby circumventing the rule… people are waiting to see what the league does.

• Bill says:

HabFab is correct, it’s a new rule.

The NHL’s solution to head trauma. You can still punch each other in the face and head, but you can’t take off your helmet in case you fall and hit your head. Of course, if the helmet comes off “accidentally” everything is cool.

Full Breezer 4 Life

4. Danno says:

In Prust We Trust

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

5. durocher says:

Prusty with the win

6. frontenac1 says:

Decision Prust!

7. durocher says:

Nice recovery by Tinordi. Markov and Diaz scare me on D, especially when DD and Briere are also on the ice.

8. Adidess says:

Kinda sad watching this broken Markov out there

9. Adidess says:

I hope we soon find an adequate D partner for PK so that the team can use that pair for close to half the game, if need be.

Gorges in his current form is not going to cut it!

10. durocher says:

Great fight between Rechlicz of Washington and Lucic. Both landed big blows, and kept going for a while. I’d give the nod to the Caps player, who seemed just fine after they finished, Lucic was checking his face.

11. Ron says:

Not sure who the Caps player was but he just handed it to Lucy. Wow that was a fight. No score in game but 1-0 Caps in the fights.

12. Adidess says:

Full line-up tonight or close to it, nothing less than a win will do. Thought I’d start panicking now before it’s too late…

13. frontenac1 says:

Vas-y Les Boys!!!

14. habs001 says:

With Emelin coming back….Tinordi will be on the Habs either now or before the season ends…. the starting d will not be what it may be at the start of the season… I just cannot see that the combination of Pk,MarkovGorges,Cube,Diaz and Murray on d would win in the playoffs…

15. No live blog? But it’s a strong lineup tonight…

DDonais

16. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I hope Tinordi stays on his natural left side. Seems easier for him to time his hits. If Boullion can’t play the right side, then MB needs to find someone that can.

17. Un Canadien errant says:

An in-depth analysis by Tyler Dellow of shot-blocking, and asking the question whether it’s worthwhile, among others.

18. Da Hema says:

I’ve been watching the Leafs and their fans (by “fans,” I mean TSN) horrified that poor Phil Kessel was attacked by that beast John Scott. Let me see if I understand this right. For years now, starting with Brian Burke, the Leafs have purposefully been building a team designed literally to pound their opponents into submission (what did Burke call it, a “truculent” team). To counter this strategy, opponents such as the Buffalo Sabres are bringing in players like John Scott to counter this truculent strategy. But when the Leafs’ opponents do precisely what Toronto does — pound their opponents into submission — the Leafs and their fans whine like a gaggle of prissy school girls. Grow up Toronto! You want to play dirty, so stop playing the victim card.

That’s my five cents….

19. Psycho29 says:

Bobby Mac just tweeted:

VAN’s Zack Kassian gets 5 regular season games and rest of pre-season for high-sticking Gagner.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

That’s it? Another joke from Shanahan. The Oilers just lost their second best centerman. Pathetic…

• FishOutOfWater says:

i dunno i just watched it (for the first time) and its super careless but thats a pretty fair suspension. i mean ya gagnes out forever but its a bit of a freaky careless accident. i dont think kassian meant to nail him, nor does he seem particularly remorseful.

things like this are hockey plays, very careless unfortunate accidents but not 15 games worthy, maybe 7 games but 5 is pretty fair.

this guy named chara never got suspended and we all know how that ended.

20. Phil C says:

Re: Markov and Diaz

I admit I was not thrilled when I saw that this was the 2nd pairing for the start of the season. They did not play well together last year, but that was after Markov was out of gas and Diaz was coming back from a concussion. I’ve always thought both players would benefit from a more complementary partner, like Methot in Ottawa for Karlsson who digs out most of the pucks from the dump-in and plays a physical stay-at-home role so that Karlsson can work his magic.

But they are both playing really well through the start of training camp, so I am going to reserve judgement. They will have had the entire training camp to build some chemistry together so they should be a lethal puck-moving combo. They will have to depend on this to play a strong puck possession style to counter a heavy forecheck that teams will certainly try against them.

21. Sportfan says:

This may sound harsh, but I enjoyed seeing Kessel run scared from Scott maybe he can do it to Kadri next time?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t mind Kessel because he usually goes about his business quietly and is a very good goal scorer.

Kadri on the other hand, he tries to catch guys with their head down, which is good. Except that he’s leveled a bunch of guys on the Habs.

So I’d like to see him lined up with a nice, clean, hit from one of the several Habs on defence who can flatten people.

22. Hobie Hansen says:

Let’s hope for another strong game from Tinordi tonight! Sounds like Bouillon is healthy again and Murray isn’t far off. Going to be interesting to see what the defence looks like on opening night!

• Habilis says:

If they send Tinordi down after he’s been the hardest hitting player on the ice (and it’s not even close), I’m gonna be one unhappy Habs fan. The kid is ready and he’s absolutely an upgrade over Bouillon or Murray, and maybe even over Diaz and Gorges. He needs to be on this team, IMHO.

• Tyhudg says:

Is hard hitting an accurate metric to gauge whether a player is ready or not for the NHL? One of those hard hits resulted in a goal…. against the Habs (In fact 2/4 of his registered hits put him way out of position). Also he faced very weak opposition. I agree his time is soon, but more time in Hamilton as a top two defender is just as good for development, if not better than being the 6th/7th Dman in the NHL.

• Timo says:

Tinordi also turned over fewer pucks than Gorges and Diaz.

• Habilis says:

It’s not the only thing that matters, but his decision making has been very good as well, at least in my eyes.

And as far as being out of position, I’m sure one of the instances you’re referring to was last game when he demolished Skinner. The puck went directly to Pateryn on that play, he’s the one who coughed it up. Not Tinordi’s fault that his partner messed up. If that’s PK, it turns into a clearance.

I agree that he should be playing big minutes, there is no sense in keeping him as a fringe guy. I just think he should be playing those minutes in Montreal. I’d love to see him paired with PK for 5 on 5 play. Just my opinion of course, but I think he would shine.

• piper says:

Tonights game should be NHL lineups. If he does well the rest of camp then I don’t think they can send him back. If they do send him back it will only be until MB can make some room for him.
            If they send him back and he stays there all year I would think he’d be very upset.

• Bill says:

You want to put a rookie defenceman on the top defence pairing?

Tinordi’s a good prospect and all, but that is not rational.

People are so in love with Tinordi’s size! Just because he’s huge doesn’t mean he’s ready for first pairing duties.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Habilis says:

Who told you I was rational? ;)

I just honestly think he’s a better option than Gorges, if we’re talking 5 on 5. I’m not basing this solely on his size. It seems to me that his decision making has improved leaps and bounds since we saw him last season.

The way I justify it is by asking myself who from our roster I’d rather see on the ice with PK, playing those 20-25 even strength minutes a night. I got nobody.

23. Sportfan says:

Mason Raymond signs for 1 million means 900 k for Franson say good bye to one of their best D wow Nonis is a genius alright.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Habilis says:

I saw some chatter on twitter about the Loafs moving Liles to make room for Franson. Magical solution and all that. I swear the fan base is as delusional as the management.

What team is going to take an underwhelming D-man who has 3 years left with a cap hit of over 4 million, especially in the one season where the cap drops?

Nonis is a buffoon. He painted himself into a corner by overpaying for hot garbage. Should be fun to watch him try to wiggle out.

• Sportfan says:

forgive me if I am wrong but isn’t Liles more of a puck moving offensive d-man? wouldn’t you move one of your more useless pieces for franson? I love that the Leafs signed Nonis proves how stupid the organization really is.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Habilis says:

Yeah he is, but he ain’t as good as Franson, that’s not even debatable. The only reason people are talking about moving him is because he makes 4.25 mil a season.

But he’s not the player he used to be, heck there is even talk about moving him to the minors to free up 900K, so how good can he be?

Which is my point. Even if you’re giving him away, who is going to take a 4.25 million dollar player to be their 6th or 7th D-man? Nobody, that’s who.

MLSE will probably extend Nonis for another decade after this fine showing. ;)

• Phil C says:

Liles was a healthy scratch many times last season, as such, he is way down the depth chart on a Carlyle team. Combined with his salary, he is almost unmoveable. No team has room for either cap or budget reasons, so they would have to hope that a team has their puck mover injured and has no other options.

• Maritime Ronn says:

New CBA rules re trades:

RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS

Teams can retain a percentage of a contract’s remaining cap hit, salary and bonuses in trades. The following stipulations apply:
        ◦No more than 50 per cent of the salary/cap hit can be retained
        ===========
        Half of Liles Cap Hit of $3,875,000 could be retained and even though the contract lasts for 2 more years after this, the Salary Cap will have some significant increases in the next 3 years.

That would free up almost $2M in Cap space.

24. Hobie Hansen says:

Boy oh boy is the Atlantic Division going to be a fun one this year.

First off, you’ll have Colton Orr and Frazer Maclaren running wild the next time they’re in the lineup against Buffalo.

Then you’ll see George Parros and Brandon Prust trying to avenge the Erik Gryba hit and the entire line brawl that happened in the Ottawa Vs Montreal series.

You’ll have the usual fireworks when Boston, Montreal or Toronto face off against each other. You can probably throw Buffalo into that mix too.

Should be interesting!

25. Sportfan says:

Some teams are over the cap!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

26. rhino514 says:

I don´t really see Briere as a mentor. And aren´t there enough “mentors”on our team? It´s not like we have a team full of babies. Prior to last year, we had a veteran team most of whom had been to the playoffs at least a couple of times, and a few who have seen many playoffs. The only significant thing that changed was the Gallys coming in, but the habs are not a team that is too young and in need of leadership. Gorges, Pleks, Gionta, Markov, Moen, Price, Prust…these guys have been through it all.
    Many people even put forth that our first round loss was due to having too many kids, but it had absolutely nothing to do with that.
    So the point of veteran leadership regarding Briere, i don´t see it. They brought him in because they hope he can score 25 goals and because he is a good playoff perfomer, and with the bonus that he´s from quebec. I don´t think leadership entered into it too much.

27. Bill says:

Luke: I like all your ideas about fighting EXCEPT … You can’t give an automatic game misconduct to anyone who fights. It would be too easy to have one team deliberately jump an important player, forcing him to defend himself, and get him out of the game.

Enforce the instigator rule strictly and give an automatic game misconduct for instigating would solve it.

Better yet, ban fighting and let’s watch some hockey. I like watching UFC, for instance, or boxing. When I watch hockey, I want to watch hockey.

I thought they said strong line-up? But then they mention Price will be in nets!!!

29. yakhab says:

The face of a puppet…….. Jay Feaster !

Gotta say… Habs are pretty lucky with their pre-season schedule. They play only one game that is truly an away game (and that’s also debatable) in Ottawa. And man, do I ever wish some one nails Gryba.

31. Sportfan says:

Here’s my Bengals Packers wrap up behind today on showing it lol :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

32. Stevie.Ray says:

Cody Franson is still unsigned. He wants a 1 year deal around 3 million, but the Leafs want to sign him to a longer term.

Would you throw an offer sheet at him? A little over 3 million for one season? We would get a 6’5” defenceman, that plays somewhat physical, and could quarterback the second powerplay. It would cost us a second round pick.

If Toronto matches the offer sheet, then we screw over Toronto for a season.

33. Habilis says:

Leafs sign Mason Raymond for one year, effectively guaranteeing that Cody Franson won’t play for them this season unless he’s willing to sign for next to nothing.

Now I get that the Leafs are in a hole with the Clarkson suspension, but I do not cut their GM any slack. He painted himself into this corner with his ridiculous spending and lack of foresight.

As a Habs fan, I honestly hope that Dave Nonis never leaves Toronto.

Carry on Mr. Nonis, carry on.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think Nonis and Carlyle (wash My mouth) are making da Weeds ‘respectable’ again

…Gawd !, I can’t believe I just said that ! :(

• savethepuck says:

There was a time that I said “as a Habs fan, I hope Brian Burke never leaves the GM job in Toronto”, but now I am OK with Nonis there too. I will just assume that when Nonis leaves, he’ll be replaced by another incompetent fool.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• mrhabby says:

I think he signed for $950,000k which gives leafs around 1m of cap space. They could send Liles down to make more room.

34. Habs_Norway says:

I dont like Kessel from now on.. or, especially from now on..(Not that i ever did)
    Lets hope for a good game tonight boys, will be looking forward to the highlights when i get to work tomorrow.

______________________________________
    Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

35. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if any of You read Me, you understand I’m a malicious Weed-wacker :)

…but, though I can’t stand staged- premeditated fighting, violence in hockey or da Weeds, I loved that Ol’ Time Brawl last night between da Weeds and the Butterknives

…I reluctantly respect how da Weeds instantly reacted to Moore before he laid a glove or knuckle-sandwich on Kessel …I also have no issue with Kessel doing what he can to neutralize Scott …Phil wasn’t going to take it, good on him

…it’s funny how We have drooled for ‘a presence’ and a goon like Parros, but didn’t Scott look silly and unnecessary out there last night ?

…glad Therrien will give Bournival another close look before making His decision …same with Tinordi …My opinion We are better with both Bournival and Tinordi

…I’m anxious to see a McCarron in Our lineup, but the coaches are much closer to the Kid than I …as I’ve said before, I feel McCarron is on track to make it sooner than later a la Tinordi

…now, if Carey and Marty can do a Miller/Bernier tonight, that will be sweet :)

• Habfan10912 says:

“We are better with Bournival and Tinordi “. Yep. Plus we need to start rewarding performance. Both of these guys earned a shot. I’ve thrown so many folks out of my will these last few days it feels good to add one.
      Welcome!

36. byrneoNL says:

The Markov-Diaz pairing is gonna get eaten alive. Marky is too slow now, with only one working leg. And in spite of a great breakout pass, he’s not gonna win any foot races or puck battles in his own end. And Diaz won’t bring any physicality there either. In short, even the most haphazard forecheck is gonna yield massive dividends in the turnover category vs this pairing. Marky-Emelin (when he’s back) would be fine. And Marky-Subban worked pretty well last year, with PK retrieving the majority of dumped in pucks. Diaz-Markov is trouble tho, unless they’re on the PP.

• krob1000 says:

Ideally the Markov-Diaz pairing does one of two things…either they have the puck and make good enough plays that they are never hemmed in…OR….Diaz gets the Markov treatment and is turned into a Mark Streit value player at which point the Habs IF they did so desire could easily move him for value. I like Diaz but I see the logjam ahead…but his fate I believe is determined by Beaulieu’s progression. Last season Diaz was putting up a point per game until Subban got in the groove.

37. Luke says:

Oh, Poll question. I don’t like you.

“Would you like to see the NHL take fighting out of the game?

Well, yes sort of. I think the prevailing opinion around here would be to remove the staged nonsense and goonery like last night.

There is the true hockey fight that I think most people are OK with, or at least can understand. A decent example being Lecavalier VS Iginla from a wee bit ago.

So goons and thugs: Yes

I don’t think you’ll ever get fighting out, so it’s a poor question structure. Something like “Should fighting during a game result in ejection and suspension?” might be a better question.

• Phil C says:

Are you suggesting an automatic game misconduct instead of 5 mins major for fighting? This would effectively eliminate fighting IMO.

Not sure how you would get rid of only goon/thug fighting, the hard core among us would argue there is no such thing as a staged fight, that every fight has a purpose.

• Luke says:

I would be quite happy to see:

The instigator penalty remain in place but be enforced more strictly. (You tap a guy and ask to fight? That’s instigating).

I’d adopt the OHL rule where a # of instigator penalties earns increasing suspensions. And I’d be very strict. 3rd instigator gets you a 2 game ban. 5th is 4 games. 6th is 82 games (Not the remainder of the season. 82).
        Similarily the number of just fights gets you a susopension. 5th fight, 1 game. 7th = 3games; 10th is 5 games. Something like that.

All fighters be assed a 5 minute major and a game misconduct.
        Therefore: You have to really believe that your fight is worth it. (Example: Chara fighting Emelin after Emelin gave the stick to Seguin).

All off-setting penalties result in a reduced on ice population for the term of the penalty. So 4 on 4 for the full 5 minutes of fighting majors.

In the case of someone getting jumped and defending themselves… that’s the tricky one. I’d certainly pile on the penalties to the jumper. 2 for unsportsmanlike, 2 for instigating, 5 and a game. Possible suspension.
        Sadlt the defender gets tossed for the game too, unless he “takes it”.

Fight. Go ahead.

I love watching a good hockey fight. It’s a guilty pleasure. I just want to see the fights mean something and the goonery removed.

Most of my suggestions, while not the most deeply thought out I admit, wouldn’t upset the actual game of hockey and would probably get rid of the no talent goons in a season or two.

• frontenac1 says:

I love fighting in hockey. As long as its a good toe to toe fist fest, I dont care if its staged or not. Maybe if the boys were really chucking bombs it could be a two minute penalty and if it was a ring around the rosie it would be 10 minutes. Saludos!

38. commandant says:

The OHL Mid-West Division features another Habs prospect in McCarron on a powerful London team.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

39. Leafy says:

It’s hockey my dear Habitants. It’s unpredictable and emotional, and it’s a lot of fun! Get your knickers untwisted and have a good laugh:

If you’ve been watching NHL hockey as long as I have, you’ve seen all of this before a hundred times… but it never gets old!

40. ClutchNGrab says:

Now, that would be a good video to edit with Kessel’s face:

41. jrshabs1 says:

There’s a lot of whining coming from T.O. today. Typical, but that’s the way it is in hockey’s capital city. It was all laughs and giggles last season when the leafs humliated the Habs when they decided to goon it up. That being said, the leafs are pretty soft if you can get past their 2 or 3 tough guys. Hopefully the Habs have what it takes to counter the leafs thuggery, because we all know the Habs can beat the leafs in a straight up game of hockey. Parros and Murray bring much needed size and reputation which was sorely lacking on last years team.
    If our goaltender decides that he going to play like a 6 million dollar man than I think the Habs are a legit playoff team.

Go Habs Go!!

42. Un Canadien errant says:

You know, we knock George Parros’ ability as a hockey player, but to be truthful, looking at footage of him skating at practice, I think he might even be a better player than I am.

• Luke says:

I reckon most of the no talent goons in the league are a heck of a lot more talented than the really good beer leaguers.

I knew a guy who used to play casual pickup with Stu Grimson. Said he was phenominal… it’s only against the best of the best that he looks terrible.

• Un Canadien errant says:

The best hockey player I ever shared a sheet of ice with was Bobby Dollas. He was the biggest, strongest, best fastest skater with the biggest shot, he’d make the best passes and could demolish anyone with a hit. There was nothing hockey-related he couldn’t do at least twice better than anyone else. I thought he’d be a Larry Robinson-type player. He ended up having a journeyman career.

It’s amazing how good these guys are.

Cliff Ronning played some Men’s League hockey in Whistler during Gary Bettman’s first career lockout. He played a lot of games holding his stick on the right, his opposite side, and if he played his natural leftie he’d only pass the puck, wasn’t allowed to shoot on net. Even so, the team that had him on as a good-guy ringer had a huge advantage and won every game.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I played against Dwight King in Bantam and the guy could out-skate anyone, shoot and score from anywhere, and could stick handle through any crowd.

• 123456 says:

There is certainly a light years difference in ability between a barely NHL guy and the best beer league’ers. I played against Randy Cunnyworth when I was young and he was with the Sens – damn was he a nasty son of a b!tch to play against. Why? Not because he was a jerk – because he was good and tough and would not let you get anywhere near the net. (well OK he was a bit of a jerk – I’ll save that story for another day)

• Maritime Ronn says:

Oh Please!

Parros/Murray are necessary additions/answers to an ‘Arms Race Buildup’ in the Division/Conference that the NHL Bettman-Campbell bobble heads refuse to address…and don’t forget new Conference addition Columbus, that placed 2nd for Fighting Majors last year.

Until the NHL bans Fighting/Goonery, we can all sit on the sidelines and bitch-moan-complain about Hockey fighting violence, but that will do nothing to protect the Habs skill guys to perform in the present/real time.
      These skill guys want someone to protect their backs so they can go out and do what they are paid to do.

If you need a refresher, see the Leafs Habs game when the Leafs Cement Heads roamed with no answer…
      As a Habs fan, I never want to see this garbage again on the Habs home ice.

GMMB and his troup of ex hardballs like Dudley, Carriere, Mellanby, and Lapointe ‘get it’.

43. yakhab says:

If Morrow was that valuable, & reasonable …… why did Pittsburgh not keep him

44. Maritime Ronn says:

” Leafs forward Nazem Kadri said he was about to go over the boards to join the melee when Joffrey Lupul pulled him back.”

“… Lupes actually had to kind of drag me back in the bench.”

“I think every single guy on our bench was looking to jump out there,” explained Colborne.
    —————————–
    Jump?
    Not to make light of the disgrace, but give it up Kadri.
    You looked around for Colty and the other Cement Head McLaren, and they just weren’t there to make you feel like the fake big man you you try and be, and are not..

When the “jump” word was mentioned, it reminded me of the Jim Carey movie and the great funny scene from the movie Yes Man.

Kadri-guy on the ledge
    Lupul-the singer (laughs at the jumper)
    The October Cup Leafs fans wait below.

The perfect clip – watch how a Kadri character style of guy gets pulled from the ledge.

45. mrhabby says:

can’t stomach that puke Kadri..

hockey always brings out the worst in me.

• Habilis says:

Agreed. Him coming out and telling people that he had to be held back just proves what an unmitigated moron he is.

Just like all the other MLSE kool-aid drinkers who are defending Clarkson’s actions today. Idiocy of the highest degree.

46. habs-hampton says:

Just curious as to why any of these Toronto “fans” who think Dave Stubbs is an idiot or too old, are following him on Twitter?

• Habilis says:

Lack of working brain cells. It’s a common occurrence among the Leaf Nation Lemmings. They live to brag, yet they have nothing to brag about. It’s perplexing.

47. Stevie.Ray says:

Can John Scott be suspended for “attempted fighting”?

Doesn’t matter who it is against, a fight is a 5 minute penalty.

Kessel’s slashes? 2minute penalty unless Shanahan determines it was an attempt to injure, right?

Clarkson? As soon as those nimble toes touched the ice, your spot in the press box was saved.

• Strummer says:

Now we know how to ignite a Kessel meltdown- tell him you’re going to “jump him”

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Mr. Biter says:

Would have been better if he “Turtled” as per last year when White was attempting to seek revenge on another player who ‘Turtled” and White got 4 minutes. Coming back and spearing Scott later deserves punishment and was gutless. Also you don’t “Yap it up” before the puck drops with a 6″8 enforcer. Bad idea by Kessel.
        Fight is on you tube for those who missed it.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• JIMVINNY says:

Except those weren’t slashes. Those were baseball swings, and the league has been pretty clear in the past that swings like that are going to be suspended.

Unless your name is Sidney Crosby.

• Mr. Biter says:

If those were baseball swings he would not be playing “A” baseball. M Jordan had a better swing and he batted under 100% when he tried to play baseball.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Everyone bats under “100%”, I think you mean under 10% as in around .100 or a bit better.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• Mr. Biter says:

It was hard to put into words and numbers. Top hitters hit about .340, Jordan was under .100. Kessel would be about .20 with those swings but 1000% in spearing..
            Thanks.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• johnnylarue says:

I finally watched the video of this “incident” and can’t believe how much virtual ink has been spilled over this.

I was expecting to see some nasty Rocket-esque two-handed slashes to the head, not these dorky little “warning slashes” to the shin pads. And this is headline sports news nowadays? C’mon, folks…

48. arye says:

hi all, ex montrealer here living in nj now, still bleeding the blue blanc rouge, i am up in montreal visiting my folks & would luv to take my kids to see the game tonight (4 kids). any suggestions for cheap or free tickets or if anyone is not using their season tickets would help. thx much. a current & 4 future habs fans

49. Buzz Lightbeer says:

So Kadri says Lupal had to hold him back from jumping into the melee last night. Oh man i haven’t laughed so hard in a long time.

• ClutchNGrab says:

In his exact words:

“Lupes actually had to kind of drag me back in the bench.”

I have read things that are more convincing, how can he “kind of” hold you back????

And then:
      ” I tried to get a hold of Clarky (David Clarkson) but he was kind of up and at it.”

So you were so pumped you wanted to jump on the ice, but still tried to hold somebody up, wow, that’s some self control right here.

• Mattyleg says:

I used to teach in an Italian-Canadian High School in Montreal, and those guys were the best at being ‘kind-of held back’ during ‘fights’.

They’d yell at each other until one of their friends stood in their way, and then they’d struggle and thrash against their friend like all the dogs in hell couldn’t restrain their rage. If they actually ‘broke free’ from their buddy, they’d look lost for a moment, then continue to yell and gesticulate without actually fighting.

I can see where Kadri is coming from.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• 123456 says:

wow I thought kessel was a little douche (ok to type that here??) but I guess he is a big douche. what an idiot – if the nhl does not hand down many games it will be another big disappointment. can’t wait to hear shanny’s video assessment of the suspension. “here you see mr kessel swing his stick with two hands, this is not a suspendable act because mr kessel swings his stick like a girl”. “furthermore, although mrs kessel tried to injure the player scott, she just does not have enough strength to accomplish her goal”

• JarryPark says:

he’s putting a target on his back…really making it too easy

• Mustang says:

I saw the replay on the news today. I thought that the first swing was a gutless move but I was more-or-less ready to give him the benefit of the doubt since it was difficult to understand exactly what was going on in that scrum. But I was outraged when he back up a foot or two then took another 2 handed swing that as far as I am concerned, was totally unwarrented. If he doesn’t reveive a stiff suspension, I really don’t know what to think of the NHL rules.

The next game between Buffalo and Toronto should be quite interesting, to say the least.

50. Maritime Ronn says:

@ Un Canadien errant re your Briere post

Interesting points as usual, yet there several ways to look at this.

Briere is known as a great Pro both on and off the ice, and while he may not be a 30 goal scorer anymore, he will replace the Ryder goals and hopefully become a great Mentor for the young guys.
    That is sometimes hard to quantify in a Cap Hit.

Another point is assumptions.
    While players or agents may sniff around Montreal and toss out stuff to the media trying to create a ‘false demand market’ for their players, the question remains did these specific players you mention – Gagne/Morrow, actually WANT to play in Montreal?
    Media reports are what they are – to be believed with a grain of salt, yet only the player himself and his agent know the truth.

Then, did the Habs management actually see a fit for these guys?
    UFAs want to know their role with a team, and there is a good chance GMMB could not guarantee anything.

Regarding Simon Gagne – whom you claim is a personal favourite which is 100% your god given right, there must be a few reasons why NO team has signed him to date.

Gagne has not scored more than 17 goals since the 08/09 season, and is now known as an ‘injury plagued player’ that will turn 34 this season.
    Last year, his season was split between LA and Philly where he was given an average of only 13:46/14:17 respectively of playing time – numbers reserved for 3rd liners.

Lastly there is the dressing room and pecking order.
    I do not know how Morrow/Gagne would fit in the room, and even if they are true leaders, sometimes too many leaders and not enough worker bees makes a mess.
    ( See the Morrow/Iginla Pittsburgh trades)
    Please trust me when I tell you there was ‘some’ confusion as to their roles in that Pens room…

Lastly, perhaps many of us cringed upon hearing the deal was for 2 years and not 1, yet possibly we should all let this play itself out for the year and see what ALL the Briere contributions end up to be.

• Kooch7800 says:

I would prefer to have none of the above (Briere, Morrow or Gagne).

Briere has great leadership like you said but I just think he is done and putting him with DD and patches isn’t going to make things better I am afraid

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Maritime Ronn says:

Kooch
        Can’t say I disagree, yet as a Habs fan let’s give it some time…and who knows what line Briere will end up playing with along with other questions yet to be determined…

• Kooch7800 says:

You are right Ronn. Just hard to flick a switch to like a player that I have always disliked.

After (hopefully) he scores a few goals I will change my tune. Would love to eat crow on Briere

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• 123456 says:

great points especially re the leadership – sometimes certain roles on a team are already filled leaving no space for another similar player (role model).

briere “replaces” ryder but plays a much different game. my fear (as it was with ryder) is that the players does not fit into the system….. time will tell. I am optimistic that dd will work to get the puck to patches and if there is a rebound briere will be there to put it in.

• Kooch7800 says:

you are bang on. Just like on the PP you see DD and Briere fighting over where they want to be. Some of that is communication but some of that is because their games are similar.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Maritime Ronn says:

The big question mark from here is the ‘6 pounds less’ Desharnais and his proclaimed added quickness – Is that a performance enhancer?…. and exactly what type of NHL player will he be?

One aspect that can be somewhat reassuring – the Habs have an imminent bona fide Superstar in Galchenyuk just waiting to fill the void, along with another, now big rugged guy in Eller to step in.
        The Habs now have some great options down the middle.

51. Ali says:

Just floating it out there, might it not be better to put Gallagher with Patches and Desharnais, and move Briere to the Eller/Chucky line? I feel that with DD and Briere on the same line, it’s a bit to “soff”. At least Gally brings some of that moxie.

• Gerry H says:

Briere is no softie. And he is actually bigger than Gallagher.

• johnnylarue says:

I like what the EGG line brings, but I feel like Briere could be more useful in a mentor capacity playing with Larry and Chuck.

On the other hand, The Gally/Patches/DD combo wasn’t exactly a force to be reckoned with either, from what I remember from last season.

It’s only when you start putting line combos together that you realize the MOAR contingent might have a point–we may have one too many “tiny tykes” on our top 3 lines…

Maybe.

• Cal says:

That line was tried last year. It failed miserably. Gallagher has to find a way to stay on his feet. Last night, he was flattened continuously by Eric Staal.

• Luke says:

Eric Staal was playing some cranky hockey the other night.

Someone must have changed the music in the room or something…

• Cal says:

Thing was, no one stopped him or challenged him after he did the high-sticking thing on Gallagher over and over.
          I fear Gallagher’s career will be *ahem*… a short one.

• johnnylarue says:

I share your fear, Cal.

I can’t think of too many Holmstrom-style players with Gally’s build/body-type.

He should be okay for the first five years of his career, but he won’t last much longer unless Reebok develops a custom cross-check-resistant upper body armor for him.

• Luke says:

Johnny, he literally needs some Under Armour…

52. JarryPark says:

For those of you who have not read this as of yet

Good Lord! is this not the guy who refused a fight with Gally?

53. Eddie says:

hey Krob, hope you don’t mind I used your Bournival plays like Dominic Moore comparison yesterday. Clearly I like your thinking there.

Where we disagree in on Briere. Seriously, krob, you absolutely love the way this guy plays and I absolutely don’t.

So I hope you’re right and Briere lights it up, makes every linemate better, plays 3 zone defensively aware hockey, and besides Plekanec and Gionta is the next guy we’d like on the ice if the team absolutely needs a goal.

I just don’t see it, although I will gladly admit that I’m wrong on this one.

You were good on the Ryder call for the 1st 10 games or so, and then the Ryder I love to hate kicked in and he gave us his usual “I will crap the bed now that I’ve showed you I can still score” version.

We shall see on Briere.

• johnnylarue says:

For what it’s worth, I do think Briere has more ‘pride’ than Ryder. If the little guy under-performs, it won’t be for lack of effort or dedication.

• krob1000 says:

Ryder breathed life into the pp…and he scored at a great pace. The whole team crapped the bed near the end and he was playing hurt as were others. People knocked him since he entered the nhl..ignoring what he is…a guy who consistently puts pucks in the net and helps out the pp. He has a cup ring, has proven clutch in the playoffs ironically both offensively and defensively with his save that eliminated the Habs. He is actually quite like Pacioretty who is getting the same treatment on here…people want more from Patches…they want him to be a power forward,etc,etc…he puts up his 30 goals and is what he is.
      Briere is also a proven pp specialist (pps have grown ever important in an ear where mistkaes at 5 on 5 are few and far between). He is a right handed guy who can pass and shoot (of which Montreal has none —-both Gio and Gallagher are shooters). He mentored Claude Giroux and that turned out alright.
      I do do not Love the way he plays…but I see that he is beter than most of the Habs current forwards and is still a capable top 6 or 9 player and 1st unit pp guy.
      Goals are goals and in the NHL they have become a scarce commodity and veterans with experience seem to find a way to score these goals and still not be liabilities on the ice.
      As a winger I am less prone to pick on his defensive play but Ryder has been minus 2, minus one and every other season a plus since the horrific season in 06-07. He is very smart and hits more than people give hm credit for…people call him soft yet he is and has been as durable and consistent of a forward as there has been in the last decade.
      The fact Ryder palys relatively even hockey yet is a star on the pp is enough for me.
      Re Briere….I think he is another great vet to add tot he mix….probably better than Ryder in many ways…Ijust don;t get the people knocking him like he is useless. He is not the second coming of Guy Lalfeur but if he can come in and do what Michael Ryder did offensively for the pp from a righty, mentor the kids and be a leader by example then mission accomplished.
      He is also known to be a clutch player when the chips are down….reminds me of Koivu in that regard….has another level that he only seems to bring out for special occasions…I can live witht aht too.

54. Whatever says:

Is there a reason why Morrow was passed on for 3 months and finally signed a $1.5/1 year deal? Were 29 NHL GMs completely oblivious?

• Mattyleg says:

…to the fact that he’s waaaaaaaay past his prime and that he’ll be clogging up the bench when he’s ‘healthy’ and the rehab centre when he’s not…?

Maybe they were.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Eddie says:

maybe he was asking for bigger dollars and more term for 3 months. then, as we all had predicted, when he didn’t get that deal, he took the one he could get before the season started.

• joeybarrie says:

Most teams were passing on him to begin with. Only a handful were considering him. Most waited until RFAs and such were all set and they could start looking to camp. In his case I think he had a few offers and in the end took his favorite. Discount in his own mind to play for his former coach. He was probably also looking for a multi-year deal.
      I think he would be a great addition to Montreal but we have no room for him.

55. yakhab says:

Can someone plz enlighten me as to why Jim Popp MUST sign american quaterbacks, that require excessive amounts of time to learn the Canadian game, instead of giving a chance to a young Canadian prospect

56. The Dude says:

This would be a great game for Carey Price to earn his MEGA MILLIONS contract….just saying

57. Adidess says:

Hate to be defending John Scott here and am not trying to… But a few things I noticed from watching the video:

1. I think Scott was sent to the ice first, ready to start something, and Carlyle responded by sending out Kessel.

2. Looks like he was trying to intimidate Kessel, not fight him. Kessel may have overreacted to the tactic in throwing the first punch.

3. After the fight actually broke out, Scott seemed to relent on pursuing Kessel and turned to grab somebody else to fight, when Kessel is the guy who whacked him with his stick.

In any case, this whole brawl thing looks ridiculous and bush-league. Watching it on sports highlight shows, I can’t justify why this is allowed in any professional sports. It looks ugly and anachronistic.

58. shiram says:

Maybe I’m wrong on Brière, hopefully someone can chime in.

In him I see as a playmaking center, turned winger, with soft hands.
    He needs high PP time, and does not work on the PK.
    He is below 50% on the faceoffs.
    I get that he brings it on in the playoffs, but this is not a 2-way guy or someone that’s responsible defensively.
    He won’t be gritty or physical, but is not afraid of cheap-shots/stick work.
    Kind of like a top 6 scoring pest maybe?

• johnnylarue says:

Hard to disagree, but you’re overlooking the all-important “intangibles” he brings–i.e. leadership (former NHL ‘C’ with the Sabres) and very respectable playoff point production.

I think the fact that he’s worn a C or an A for the bulk of his NHL career elevates him slightly beyond the ‘top 6 scoring pest’ assessment, in that I don’t see, for instance, Brad Marchand getting a letter stitched to his jersey anytime soon…

59. J Dub says:

Can we please never call the third line the “EGG” line again. Thanks.

60. Phil C says:

Most people seem down on Briere. I will be curious to see if it is still the case after 25 games. DD and Pacioretty have been looking really good in the pre-season, I think that line could make some noise. We’ll wait and see I guess. Or argue about for two months, either way.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m trying to be optimistic, but after the last playoffs, and with the Danny Kristo for Christian Thomas trade fresh in our minds, it’s natural to wonder if we’re not too slight up front. Substituting a Simon Gagné or Brenden Morrow for him would have a significant impact size-wise.

61. Eddie says:

100% agree with UCE below especially about Morrow. He would have been a great fit for this team. Some scoring, some toughness, depth to play 2nd to 4th line duties, all for 1.5 million. Great leadership, great attitude, great consistency in his game, in his work ethic, and his agent was inquiring about playing here.

62. mdp2011 says:

Ha!, I spit out my coffee reading this:

David Alter ‏@DavidAlter590 12m
    Kadri who had feet over the bench got help in restraint during fights. “Lupes did a good job of keeping me on the bench.”

63. mr_jmac says:

Nice post … I’m baffled how we could pay George Parros 1 million and for an extra 0.5 we could have signed Brendan Morrow.

Morrow-White-Prust as a 4th line would be awesome. Perfect blend of toughness/hitting and scoring.

64. Looking forward to this game, now that the experiments are mostly over. Time to gel, boys.

Go Habs Go!!!

DDonais

So if Habs lose tonight with pretty much the starting lineup… did HIO plan for enough hamsters?

66. Un Canadien errant says:

News item: Brenden Morrow has signed a one-year deal with the St. Louis Blues for $1.5M. That’s it. There goes the theory some fans promulgated that he was waiting for a long-term deal to come his way. In reality, he snapped up the first firm contract offer he received, in contrast to the few pro try-out offers he was rumoured to be considering.

Not to belly-ache too much, but as an uninformed fan who doesn’t have all the facts at hand, I would much prefer our team’s outlook if we had foregone signing Daniel Brière and used that money on both Brenden Morrow and Simon Gagné instead. Not sure if Marc Bergevin or anyone predicted this kind of market in late June, one in which many quality veterans can be had in August and September for cheap on short-term deals, but the latter two players would complement our lineup much better than Mr. Brière.

Brenden Morrow could play on any line. On the left of Tomas Plekanec, he’d allow René Bourque to switch over to his preferred right wing, and he’d do some digging in the corners and hang around the front of the net, while pitching in with some diligent defensive work, which is crucial on that line. He could be the veteran on the kid line, playing left wing on Lars’ side if one of the sophomores had to be moved. On the David Desharnais line, he’d provide a bit of a physical game, he’d protect his centreman from the intimidation tactics that some other teams often resort too. Not that he’s an enforcer or anything, but he’s a big strong guy with lots of character who doesn’t take any guff. And so on, he’d have been a bit of a multi-tool that Michel Therrien can use in any situation. He could have been stashed on the fourth line, have permitted the trade of Travis Moen if need be, and he is enough of a team guy that he would have accepted sitting in the press box for a few games if necessary.

The only downside I can imagine is that possibly Marc Bergevin thought that his low-scoring, high-effort role might be effectively filled by one of Gabriel Dumont, Michaël Bournival or Louis Leblanc this season if they were called up. He may have thought that having him in the lineup might stall these kids’ progress.

Simon Gagné is a personal favourite, a heart and soul Patrice Bergeron-type, who can play either wing and scores regularly. He’s not a physical player per se, but does have size and strength and can protect the puck better than Daniel Brière can. Sure he has concussion issues and a lengthy injury history, but that’s how come we can snap him up for free. Or real cheap anyway.

So that would have been my druthers. Get both these veterans for $3M total for one year. If it works great, if not, we re-assess at the trade deadline or in June. Man, being a GM is easy.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

• mrhabby says:

I think Gagnes days are way behind him.. we need physical players who don’t break down and Gagne has been breaking up for quite some time.
      I like Morrow and the flexibility that we could have received had he signed.
      I still like Briere signing and hope he plays with a chip on his shoulder.
      Iam more concerned with our defense than offense.

• Timo says:

It like you’re trying to say that MB made a mistake. I thought MB doesn’t make mistakes.

I don’t know why the Habs are always the team that can’t find Perfect people for all jobs like all the other teams have found. No reason they shouldn’t be able to find people who are completely without fault.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m not saying he’s making mistakes, just that I would do better than he at his job. Buy low, sell high. Judicious trades. Draft well. Develop youngsters. Wrap up your assets with shrewd cap-friendly contracts. Inspire. I got a good grasp of it.

• Do you think the GMs will look at this and make fewer knee-jerk, big money signings at the start of summer next year, waiting to see if they can get better deals closer to the start of the following season?

If the trend holds, it could be good for fans, maybe bringing down some of these ridiculous (ie Clarkson) contracts where players are getting way more than they’re worth.

Then again, it could be good if I won the 6/49, too. For me, maybe not so much for other fans. ;)

DDonais

• +1 for a good post — Morrow in particular would have been a much better fit for our needs than Briere, especially at that salary/term differential.

And another +1 for using “guff’ in a sentence. : )

“Until we get an apology we’re not going to win a game. We vow not to win until we get an apology from Bettman.” -Sabre Dixon Ward

• Cal says:

Morrow and Gagné are both pretty much done. Morrow, at the end of last season, was quite the wreck, with a split knee plus the usual host of after-season maladies to work out. Gagné, who has missed many games the past 3 seasons, is relying upon Pronger going on LTIR to get his contract.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Time is a crucial variable here.

I’m willing to bet that Morrow was looking for longer term and higher pay at the outset of free agency. Gagne clearly thought the Flyers would re-sign him.

In order for Bergevin to sign both, he would have had to wait until basically training camp began and he would have had to predict that both would be available at their current low prices.

And as Cal pointed out above, both players have long histories with injuries.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think their wear and tear is factored into the very team-favourable terms they can be had for.

Also, it’s not like they’re crucial players, but rather ‘nice to have’ players, they’d complement our core players. If they go down to injury, we can just call up youngsters. It’s not like a Philly situation, where you expect that a Ray Emery can be your #1 goalie, and if he breaks down again, you’re hooped.

About their contract demands, like I said, I can’t really blame Marc Bergevin for not having a perfect read on how the market would play out. I commend him for his patience with respect to Douglas Murray, if I could wave my magic wand we’d have a do-over and he’d wait to grab these two veteran forwards instead of going early and expensive on Daniel Brière, who I think is a poorer fit for our club.

• JUST ME says:

We are already having a tough time figuring out who we are going to be able to keep in the roster with what we saw of the kids so far. Afterwards it`s easy to say we should have but we would need to get rid of one or two players wich is easier said than done…

Personnaly i go with the kids. Gagne would have been great years ago…
      Would have given a chance to Morrow but i think that there just was no place on the roster for him. Would rather have given the chance to a kid .

• FishOutOfWater says:

gagne is hurt. and morrow is old dude. or an old dude. whatever.

i like to think briere gets more points than the 2 of them combined and plays more games.

briere is filler until gallagher is a real man.

67. frankcasting says:

Tinordi reminds me of a young Larry Robinson, and he absolutely needs to make this team now. Murray and Drewiske can be 7/8. As for the forwards, providing everyone’s healthy, I wonder who sits when Parros gets to play? Moen? White? Would be odd to sit a tough guy to suit up a tougher guy. Oh the dilemmas, but it could be worse, we could be the Leafs!

Loving the Habs since 1965

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Better hope JT does not peruse this site in his spare time – big skates to fill for a young Dman that has not even filled out his own frame.

• Timo says:

Murray needs to be in the starting 6 imho. He is a mean mofo… Habs don’t have mean. Habs need mean. Sure he won’t provide much in terms of offense, but lets face it, neither will Bouillon or Gorges. If Murray stays close to the crease and knocks some teeth out it will be more than Bouillon or Gorges ever done.

• zephyr says:

agreed. bouillon might be the #7 in this case. it’s gonna be frontier justice in the nhl this yr. just like t.o. last nite.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed. Douglas Murray will bring size and toughness that we sorely need, he’ll make up for the Lilliputian forwards somewhat. Francis Bouillon has to know that this is his last contract, and that he’s being phased out of the organization, with all the new blood in Hamilton. He’ll accept the #7 role, and be more dispensable. Nothing against him, he plays hard, but it’s good to be able to make these kinds of decisions, instead of parachuting in Chris Campoli midway through camp.

68. habs11s says:

IMHO, that ‘hockey game’ last night between BUF and TOR was an embarrassment for the game of hockey
    _____________________________________________________________

• mksness says:

what a dumb move by clarkson….

i have no issues with what kessel did. he’s not a fighter and that’s bush what scott did. think of it this way would you want PK fighting a heavy weight and risk getting hurt if a guy decided that ya i’m going to try and hurt you now….

this is why fighting should be out. a stick is a weapon and kessel should get a game for it. but fists are weapons as well and that can’t be ignored in this case. a hockey fight should happen between 2 willing players, not between some thug picking on a guy in a completely different weight class and not even wanting to fight…. it’s bulling 101 great lesson to teach the young fans…

• habs11s says:

I agree, Scott is a meat-head and Kessel was defending himself but got some extra ‘justice’ after the fact

I’m more embarrassed about how this hockey game turned into a wrestling match. Don’t get me wrong I love a good fight now and then but this game was just ridiculous.

_____________________________________________________________

• TheDagger says:

The first hack by Kessel shouldn’t be an issue. It’s the second hack and the spear once Scott was tied up that should be looked at for further discipline.

• mksness says:

i agree but i have no issue with kessel defending himself against scott. the league should take action on scott and the sabres in general because otherwise every team will send out goons to hurt players “legally” with their fists.

You can hate the leafs but players like kessel with skill sell this game not meat heads like scott…

• TheDagger says:

I agree, no problem with the first hack to defend him against that freakshow. Although Kessel could have skated circles backwards against Scott to avoid him.
            The statline for Scott: 180 GP – 1 Goal – 4 Assists. He should be selling hot dogs at NHL games.

69. shiram says:

If Brière does not fit within the DD line, well I just don’t really see him sticking anywhere else…

• krob1000 says:

? Briere can fit anywhere in the lineup….He can play either center or RW. He isntatnly makes any line on the Habs better. Who do you honestly believe is a better forward right now than BRiere? All round hockey….who do you want on the ice more than him right now with 5 minutes to go in a playoff game? For me….I say Pleks, Gio and Briere and the order depnds on the say. These vets make very few mistakes and while we are often dazzled by great plays made by the kids….we for get that in almost all of those cases a mistake happened from the other team. We never seem to forget when a goal against happens…but that is another story. I think BRier, Gio and Pleks are as steady as they come and the duration of their top 6 roles is a testament to that fact. Briere is a great addition and while Ryder is more of a pure goal scorer Briere can be trusted in all situations.
      Add to that his leaderhsip history, clutch play and experience in meaningful hockey and I see no dwonside. SUre there is a possiblity of injury…BUT…Eller-concussion, Gallagher-concussion history, Galchenyuk- Knee blowout, Markov-knees, Gorges-Knees, Gionta-Biceps…both of em, Bourque-Concussion, Prust-Shoulder, Patches-Concussion, etc,etc,etc…he is in the same boat as the others only with a better resume.

• shiram says:

He does not fit the 2-way game Plekanec plays though, he’s used to playing the style of DD’s line, all offense with little D responsibilities.
        The only center I could see him take the place of is DD.
        Eller and Pleky both play that 2-way game, and Brière on the 4th would be a waste.
        So I’m fine with having him with DD, to me that’s the most natural fit for him on the team.

• krob1000 says:

Not many guys have the two way game Pleks has. But if you put Briere with Gionta and Boruque you would not have to hesitate to line them up against anyone.

• shiram says:

I still contend that the best spot for Brière, wether at wing or center is with DD and Pacioretty.
            The way Therrien uses his line makes it so.

• habs12 says:

Think he would do well on the wing with Plecky and Bourque.

70. commandant says:

The Sabres brawl shows their new philosophy, and gives the Leafs more Salary Cap Headaches

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

71. Mattyleg says:

Wait, don’t go!

…I’m so lonely…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

72. krob1000 says:

Forget it…I’m going back to the other thread..see ya.

73. krob1000 says:

Logged out and in and still 1st? on a game day? where are you people?

74. Habfan10912 says:

I understand what you’re saying bud. But put together with the whole scene in a preseason game it looked like a scene out of Slap shot. The game is better then that.
    CHeers bud