Habs to ice strong lineup against Devils Monday night

The Canadiens will be going with a strong lineup for Monday’s exhibition game against the New Jersey Devils at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690). There are only two players in the lineup who are on the bubble for the opening night lineup – forward Michael Bournival and defenceman Jarred Tinordi.

The forward lines reflect some depth. Max Pacioretty, David Desharnais and newcomer Daniel Briere will resume their quest for chemistry. Working Briere into the mix has been a work in progress, but there are three more exhibition games to work out the kinks.

Tomas Plekanec will be between Rene Bourque and Brandon Prust, who is filling in for Brian Gionta.  The captain says he’s ready to go, but the team is being cautious as Gionta returns from biceps surgery.

The EGG line has the two Gallys – Brendan Gallagher and Alex Galchenyuk – on either side of Lars Eller, and Bournival will play with Travis Moen and Ryan White. Bournival’s spot is usually occupied by Prust.

Tinordi will be on the No. 3 defence pairing with Francis Bouilllon. P.K. Subban and Josh Gorges are the No. 1 pair, while Andrei Markov will be with Rafael Diaz.

Carey Price is expected to play the entire game in goal.

Greg Pateryn was not part of Monday’s morning skate in Brossard. He’s out with a lower-body injury, which explains his limited action in Saturday’s 3-1 loss to Carolina.

(Photo by Marie-France Coallier/The Gazette)

Habs lineup vs. Devils Monday night, Canadiens.com

Gionta wears the ‘C’ with class, by Dave Stubbs

Bournival the flavour of the week for Habs, by Jack Todd

Habs cut first-round pick McCarron, by Pat Hickey

Former Hab Riopelle dies at age 92, by Ottawa Citizen

Devils hope Jagr can return in time for season opener, Bergen-Record

In all of this pre-season excitement one thing got over looked – Carey Price got a win. The Cup is ours, my friends. Carey is on fire!!!

On this positive note, I am off to bed. Good night all.

• savethepuck says:

But you did see the 2 goals that went past him, right?
      Goodnight Timothy.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

2. savethepuck says:

I have a function I have to attend every Monday night, got home and watched the game I PVR’d tonight. Also read all the comments. Sometimes I think that some posters have an opinion of certain Habs that no matter how good that player plays, they are going to manufacture something negative about him for some reason. What I saw tonight was that:
    -the PP with MaxP, DD and Briere looked very impressive to me despite the preconceived negativity of some towards DD and Briere before the game started.
    -Tinordi played a great game tonight starting with him stripping a Devil of the puck going in alone in the 1st period on a great play, and continued solid defensive play for the rest of the game without having to drop the gloves or throw numerous monster hits ( even though he played physical and made some good body checks ). I say this because of what I saw and not me thinking he deserves to be in the starting lineup due to being a 1st round pick and throwing a few monster checks.
    -despite not scoring a goal, I am more on the Bournival band wagon after tonight’s game than I was in earlier exhibition games against weaker competition when he was scoring goals. Unlike others, I can see a 4th line of Prust, White or Moen and Bournival against a lot of teams that we don’t have to ice a 4th line goon squad.
    -out of the 2 goals allowed, the 1st bounced off a player in front of the net over Carey’s head and I think off his back ( a fluke ) and the 2nd was a shot from the point on the pp that was redirected twice. That is to say that neither was Carey’s fault and I could not single out a single Hab who made a mistake on either goal.
    Overall I think it was a strong game by our Habs playing with a lineup more indicative of an opening night roster.
    BTW, I thought PK was a monster again tonight and I can’t point out a single Hab that had a bad game.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Timo says:

Bournival was short-changed today by playing with 2 stiffs in Moen and White.

As far as Habs having a bad game – try Diaz. The guy just doesn’t seem to know what to do when he gets the puck.

• savethepuck says:

He is trying to to earn a job and I think they wanted to see how he would perform with lesser linemates. I think he looked great, but I know that I may be a tad more positive about this team than yourself ;) .

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

Where is everybody? I need some company.

Ok, after tonight, who here thinks Tinordi should NOT be in a starting top 6 lineup?

Clarkson’s 10 games… is that 10 regular season games or including laffs’ remaining preseason games too?

PVR’d the game and was skipping through the most of it since this one is definitely not for the DVD collection. What happened to Gallagher? Was he ok after that slash?

Also, what’s with Prust and fighting some no names in the pre-season? Dude, save your shoulder for Oct 1 against the laffs. Guaranteed there will be fireworks and dirty shit. Maybe this time Lupul won’t be so quick to hold Kadri back and he will jump Prust to teach him a lesson.

7. Bill says:

Bruce Arthur on the myth of tough guys deterring cheap shots:

“Plenty try to prove themselves with their fists, but the fights and the fighters don’t deter attacks. When Boston’s Marc Savard suffered his career-defining hit from the undeterred Matt Cooke, Milan Lucic — the fearsome bulking star who ran over Ryan Miller in 2011, leading Buffalo to find themselves a John Scott — was not only on the roster but on the ice. He was the guy who delivered the pass to Savard.”

If you like fighting in hockey, fine, like it, but don’t pretend it serves some kind of noble purpose. You only have to watch one NHL game on any given night to realize that deterrence is a total crock.

• savethepuck says:

Someday, I hope more people will realize that. I found it ironic that common perception is that having a fighter deters stick work, which players don’t want to become commonplace in the NHL, but Kessel was being a heck of a lumberjack out there.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

8. JO says:

When you get use to the fact the Habs are pretty much the same team as last year than you’ll realize there is gonna be a lot of close games and losses.
    Should Briere be a bust we’ll really have a problem.

• Timo says:

Should he? I think that’s pretty much a given, especially if Therrien keeps playing him on the same line with DD. On the other hand, perhaps Therrien is minimizing the damage by concentrating his most overpaid stiffs on the same line.

• Mark C says:

So their the same as last years team, the team with the 3rd best goal differential, and 4th most points. Yet, I’m supposed to realize there will be a lot of close games and losses. I can’t find one fault with this logic.

9. Bill says:

I read a few comments that expressed surprise and admiration for the change in Pacioretty’s game so far in the pre-season.

What change? This is the same Pacioretty. You know, that guy who scores 30 goals with laser shots. I’m not sure what people saw tonight that looked different.

Pacioretty plays that same game every night. When they go in, everybody loves him. If they hit the post, or the goalie gets lucky, everybody complains that he doesn’t play like Lucik.

Full Breezer 4 Life

10. Mr. Biter says:

Kessel hearing for Tuesday.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

• Bill says:

No suspension. Bettman probably just wants to thank him for actually getting the NHL into major sports coverage in the USA for five minutes.
      “Thanks Phil, we made ESPN and the Huffington Post!”

Full Breezer 4 Life

• deggy24 says:

Saw the replay, he doesn’t deserve to get suspended. A couple of ankle whacks and a weak jab to the pads of Scott,s pants. I played with guys who would cut Scott up big time. Not a fan of Kessel but thought that wa a reasonable response to the big goon.

Habs Win!

• savethepuck says:

I’m actually expecting the minimum fine to send a message that that the NHL will not tolerate it (yeah right ). There is no way I expect Kessel not to be in the starting lineup October 1st though.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Mr. Biter says:

Listened to the Scott interview on TSN online. Loved his answers to the questions (and Leafs had last change) as Scott said he was going with whoever was against him and really surprised to see Kessel on the ice (no doubt Kessel had some choice words for RC after the game). Ended the interview with Kessel got the best of it anyway as my legs hurt from all the slashes.
          Round 2 should be lots of fun.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

11. habs1992 says:

New Movie out. “FINDING BRIERE”

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

12. Sportfan says:

LOL I saw this commercial SO much during the Bengals game yesterday it got annoying after a while…

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

13. jedimyrmidon says:

Glad the Habs won. Pacs is looking good out there. Hopefully his focus on bringing versatility to his game pays off.

I’m kind of hoping that the fallout of the Sabres-Leafs brawl is that the Leafs are more subdued come next week with no shenanigans with Orr and McLaren. Hopefully the league will be scrutinizing their actions.

14. Arnou Ruelle says:

So, we have a new Scott Gomez. And his name is Daniel Briere.

Edit: Anybody here likes the idea of having McCarron back in the lineup this year for a few games if ever any of our Habs enforcers get injured?

• Lazarus_taxa says:

I love lamp.

• Habilis says:

You might be jumping the gun a little bit, seeing as how Briere hasn’t even played one regular season game yet.

You’ll excuse me if I hope you’re wrong on that one.

McCarron looked great for a late round first pick, but he’s not ready to be a bruiser in the NHL yet. Let him bang around in the OHL for the year, then we’ll see where he’s at. He’s in great hands with the Hunter brothers.

• Bill says:

McCarron is (a) not an enforcer (b) an 18 year-old kid who should definitely not be brought up to replace Parros.

Full Breezer 4 Life

What do you say we trade Beaulieu, Tinordi, Bournival and McCarron straight up for Lecavalier? Just for old times sake.

16. piper says:

Just watched the Lucic / Rechlicz bout. Jack Edwards is hillarious to listen to. I think he’s colour blind.

• Bill says:

He wasn’t watching the same fight as the rest of us, for sure.

Every Boston fan on the interweb is crowing about how Lucik beat Rechlicz up too … people see what they want to see.

Full Breezer 4 Life

17. Marc10 says:

Watching Washington goon it up against Boston on the heels of the Buffalo and Toronto freak show, you get the feeling that by Christmas some teams are going to be decimated.

18. habs1992 says:

Where is Danny Briere.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

19. Arnou Ruelle says:

Watched the game. I like the line combos. Bournival and Tinrodi should play in the regular season.

I don’t even know if Gionta, Parros, and Emelin are needed in the first game. It seems Therrien already have the official Habs team for the regular season:

Pacioretty-Desharnais/Briere-Briere/Desharnais

Eller/Galchenyuk-Galchenyuk/Eller-Gallagher

Bourque-Plekanec-Prust (or Gionta)

Moen-White-Bournival (or Parros)

Markov-Subban (or Emelin)

Gorges-Subban (or Tinordi)

Boullion-Tinordi (or Pateryn)

Damn, I forgot Murray! Where do I put him in this stacked lineup??

Price

Budaj

Other than that, good game and some positives happened…

20. ClutchNGrab says:

Yesterday I was watching Meet the Press, and saw Wayne LaPierre explaining how only more guns can prevent gun violence.

Sometimes I’m under the impression that some of those nut jobs are in charge of the NHL.

21. Typical NJ game (missed most but stats don’t lie), I missed most of it watching Manning beat up on the Raiders. NJ projected to finish dead last this season, but they’ll play hard every game and the coach and Brodeur will be the only reason they win anything this season. Retire already Marty, then we’ll hire you and retire your number in celebration. :)

@Smartdog, I got your message. The pool is an active one so if you don’t have time every morning to do your lineups you are better off hiring me to set you up for the win :)

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 00029.31
    8th Annual Hockey Pool, Email for details.
    Live draft 30 Sep, 6pm CDT

22. SUMO says:

Joel Rechlicz 26yrs old, 6’4″, 220lbs, undrafted. This is what he did to Boychuk after the the Lucic fight;

-Doesn’t seem like Jack Edwards or Andy Brickley have as much of a man-chrush on Boychuk as they do for Lucic.

23. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

MB is probably thinking: “Why the #@%@ did I sign Murray for?”

24. habstrinifan says:

I thouht Briere said he likes playing in Mtl. Why isnt he?