Habs take wait-and-see approach on Subban

pk-subban-photo-shoot

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien said he’s delighted to see that P.K. Subban is back in the fold but added he can’t set a timetable for the defenceman’s return to the lineup.

Therrien said he and general manager Marc Bergevin will meet with Subban when the team arrives in Ottawa following Tuesday’s game against the Winnipeg Jets to discuss the team philosophy and Subban’s role with the team. Therrien said he wouldn’t commit to a return date for Subban until he can assess the player’s physical conditioning, his timing and his grasp of the team’s new system.

Therrien stressed the importance of the team concept and said it was important for Subban, who signed a two-year, $5.75-million deal Monday, to embrace that concept.

Andrei Markov, whose performance was praised by Subban in a conference call Monday night, refused to comment on the signing after Tuesday’s morning skate in Brossard.

“Do you see him here?” Markov asked. “I’m only talking about tonight’s game and tomorrow night’s game.”

Subban’s former defence partner, Josh Gorges, was cautious when asked about Subban’s return and said it was important for all the players to buy into the system.

Said Gorges: “I’m tired of talking about one guy. I’m glad it’s over.”

When someone suggested to Lars Eller that P.K. wanted to be known as The Subbanator, the Danish forward replied: “We’re going to call him Pernell.”

There will be one lineup change for Tuesday night’s game against the Jets with Tomas Kaberle returning to the lineup, replacing Yannick Weber on defence.

1. Habfan17 says:

Subban is proving his immaturity yet again. Seriously, one of the first things you say after you sign is that you want to be called the Subbanator! Grow up! Maybe his mouth works faster than his brain can process whether or not he should say something. If he keeps this up, the dressing room will remain chilly! The right thing to do would be to stay out os the spotlight for a while and let them come to you! Always talk about the team first, not your own exploits! The Subbanator, sheesh!!

Habfan17

2. ColdComfort says:

Am looking forward to the MT/ PK show this year. JM didn’t criticize his players much in public; MT not so much. BTW, why wouldn’t Markov or Josh be chilly. He’s not a team guy. He thinks he’s better than his real worth to the team. Third, maybe fourth d-man, on this club.

3. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

PK should be given 15 games to see if he is willing to toe the line and not try to be bigger than the team. If he is still a maverick and doesn’t follow the coaching staff’s orders he should be traded. Teams with too many egotists never win anything. This guy is a bit like Terrell Owens.

4. wall2bay says:

I gotta say that I lost some respect for both Gorges and Markov. Really was it tha hard to say, “Nice to have him back” or something to that effect? They complain about PK being a spotlight hog but clearly their comments or lack of it draws attention to themselves.

5. I’m telling you guys, PK likes to do what he wants, and doesn’t like to take advice or direction from others. When working on plays in practice he does what he wants rather than what he’s suppose to. Yes he’s probably better than Weber or Kaberle but he’s no saint and doesn’t always have the teams best interest in mind!

• PeterD says:

Are saying he’s creative…or selfish.
      Wonder what creative offensive players like Gretzky, Mario, Crosby would be like if forced into a role that restricted their on ice creativity? Not saying PK is on par with these guys…but he is offensively creative whereas alot of d-men just aren’t.
      I say give him a chance to learn the new system and then let him go.

6. AceMagnum says:

You made a “pack”?

7. Habsville says:

TSN the jokers of hockey coverage
    why did PK accept this deal, he should have ended up some where inthe middle,
    Than Dredger well it’s close to what they offered at the start last year 2.2 in year one and 2.9 in year 2.

Now math is not the strong suit f these guys. So a two year deal first offered was 5.1 million. That idiot PK was forced to accept this deal because they did not need him like he thought and his stock was falling signed a two year deal for 5.75.Million
    Isn;t that above the 5.1 first offer? Go figure the Toronto Sports Network can’t add. here is a number they should remember 1967

• Good Habit says:

Aaron Ward was ridiculous. He made a point of mentioning that PK was late for a meeting almost every time they talked about him. Is that even true? They definitely seemed biased on the subject. I just laugh when they predict the Habs to be really bad and they end up being dead wrong.

8. punkster says:

Nothing like reading way to much into media generated rumours and hearsay.

Thing is you’re all missing the bigger issue here…it’s not just PK, it’s the entire disparate and dysfunctional group in that room.

You watched the games but you clearly missed the symptoms…the hotdogging by Chucky when he scored that reminded them all of PK’s act… that preceptible and purposeful delay by White when he went after Fleischmann for the hit on Gorges…the understandable awkwardness shown by Markov in interviews when asked about PK as he knows full well his time in the limelight is finite…

It’s all there…all the signs of internal rot…the open festering wounds now pustulating before our very eyes.

There’s trouble folks, with a capital T, and that rhymes with P, and that stands for PK.

Well, either you’re closing your eyes
    To a situation you do now wish to acknowledge
    Or you are not aware of the caliber of disaster indicated
    By the presence of a trouble maker in your community.
    Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
    I say, trouble right here in Montreal.
    Why sure I’m a hockey fan,
    Certainly mighty proud I say
    I’m always mighty proud to say it.
    I consider that the hours I spend
    Watching the game are golden.
    Help you cultivate horse sense
    And a cool head and a keen eye.
    Never take and try to give
    An iron-clad leave to yourself
    From a three leg deflection shot?
    But just as I say,
    It takes judgement, brains, and maturity to score
    …etc…

***SUBBANG BABY!!!***

9. Feraco says:

Haha this team is the best. Just read the article now.

Welcome to the big league Pernell hahaha!

10. Sportfan says:

The trade talks about PK were silly everyone who said to trade him on TSN and other networks were the same guys that said you don’t get players like Price and Subban you never let them go blablabla media is funny haha

11. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Get the kid on the ice fast… he should be in the lineup TONIGHT.
    all this talk and meetings are a side show…

He should have been on a plane to Montreal INSTANTLY.

get on the ice and show me your game…
    THEN WE’LL TALK.

The N.A.G. effect remains the only path to success…

12. SmartDog says:

Not first!

Great to see the warm reception PK is gonna get. LOL
    The boys are crusty – and rightly so. PK can handle it. It’ll take some time and effort tho.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• emann_222 says:

I find it amusing that any player should be crusty with PK. They all got to bicker and bicker as much as they wanted for a new CBA and all that it entailed, but he isn’t allowed to fight for what he feels is fair in his own individual contract?

He’s an integral part to the future of this team, so they need to embrace his return, mentor and appreciate him, and support his growth.

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.com

13. nova scotia vees says:

Welcome back P.K. I laugh at comments about his hold-out being frowned upon by the rest of the players. Weren’t they all holding-out for months for more money.
    Not only did we trade Chelios because they didn’t like his “attitude”, but we also let Rod Langway and others get away.

• SmartDog says:

I don’t blame them for being tired of being asked about PK. They’ve done a good job of keeping it out of the room. He’s still not there, like Markov says, so why talk about him.

And you can’t rightly compare the players situation with PKs. The owners locked them out. All they did was hang on for the ride and try not to get screwed.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• helluva habs fan says:

Canadiens are tweeting there are still pairs of tickets available for tonight’s game. Really? How is this possible?! Wish I lived in Montreal, I certainly don’t have anything better to do tonight.

EDIT – not sure why that came up as a reply…

• Say Ash says:

Well, I think management had a problem with Chelios’ attitude that it’s OK to sleep with the president’s wife. Other than that, I don’t think there was a problem.

• Cal says:

Traded away Chelios because he was caught doing things with Ronald Corey’s wife. Langway requested a trade because of high taxes and a longing to lose the rest of his career.

14. Bun E. Laroque says:

The contract is done and people can’t stop making stuff up about Pernell.
    Not a team player ? Ridiculous.

15. theox_8 says:

I would have to think that PK is in just as good or better shape than the guys on the team. I wouldn’t take markov’s comments to seriously, he always had the dry stale attempt at humor.

16. zephyr says:

pk is a very talented hockey player whose best days are ahead of him yet. i heard earlier that he has bulked up to 220 lbs.. he could be bringing some real toughness to the game now. u don’t trade guys like pk. remember the chelios trade?
    i’m encouraged to see how aggressive therrien has them playing & how hard they’re working. it’s tougher for other teams to get the puck out of their own end now. they have some grit too. things are looking up. be nice if their 5th/5th defense pairing was bigger and more physical. kaberle is a luxury on this team now.

17. homerbowen says:

1. Glad to see PK signed (welcome home PK).
    2. Played only 1 decent team so far
    3. Next 5 games will tell the story.
    4. Don’t take the Jets lightly
    5. Do not light a fire under the Jets Big Buff tonight

• Ron in Ottawa says:

So now we’ll see what kind of coach Terrien is this time around. It’s probably easy to coach a player like Markov or MaxPac. But PK is a different character. The old coach JM used to smother the enthusaim of younger players. PK has that enthusiasm and he’s got tons of talent. It is Terrien’s job to shape him into a great player for this team.

• Cal says:

5. Wouldn’t that be a great way to get him off his game? A little Bic lighter used with malice aforethought. (Insert evil laugh here)

18. RobertAlanFord says:

Will be interesting to see how his teammates respond to him being back in the locker room. He has to re-earn some respect from some of the guys after this whole fiasco.

19. I can say 100% that some players do not feel Subban is a team player and I’ve had one (to remain nameless) tell my brother that. He also said during practice, while doing drills, PK does what he wants and takes no direction from teammates. Why do you think Therrien and Bergevin are going to stress the team concept to him? Did you see those comments on Benn when he signed in Dallas? No because it’s not an issue with him. PK has a chip on his shoulder and could disrupt the team chemistry which worries me. If he pulls his head out of his ass and becomes a team player, with his skills, he could be a valuable asset, if not get rid of him like every other cancer that has plagued the dressing in the past!

• tophab says:

pk will be great.

• ed lopaz says:

if you pull your head out , you might be able to post something truthful.

• BJ says:

What makes you think you have the exclusive on truth? Let people express their opinions.

• ed lopaz says:

read his post again BJ. if you think this is ok, and just an opinion, well, too bad.

No one is going to post that about a Hab and get away with it if I’m online.

“If he pulls his head out of his ass and becomes a team player, with his skills, he could be a valuable asset, if not get rid of him like every other cancer that has plagued the dressing in the past!”

I’ll defend my right to call out a liar, and this has lies and venom all over it.

• BJ says:

All I’m saying is everyone has different views. As they say I may not agree with everything he says but I’ll defend his right to free speech.

• Habfan10912 says:

I’ve made a pack not to post anything mean spirited since my run in with Loonie. I really wanted to break that here in support of you but I thought better of it.

———————————–

• Mattyleg says:

What an insightful post.

This is a sarcastic post.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. Strummer says:

Hands up if you think PK should play a couple in Hamilton for conditioning purposes.

He hasn’t played in a real game for 10 months and missed training camp.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Habsrule1 says:

I think the coaching staff should make that decision based on a couple practices. It’s not a bad idea, but I’d only do it if I thought it was necessary from watching him in practice.

Go Habs Go!!

• RobertAlanFord says:

I’d put my hand up but he can’t go to Hamilton without clearing waivers first. Someone would definitely pick him up, no question.

21. Habsrule1 says:

I like most everyone on the Habs, but I kinda hope MB talks to the players and makes it even more clear that PK is a part of this team and they hope he will be for a long time, and if anyone has a problem with that….there is the door.
    I know he can’t really do that, but I hope the players come to that realization on their own.

Guess what? PK’s a young, energetic, highly skilled player that will only get better. Either hang on for the ride or go play for the laffs or something.

Go Habs Go!!

• Bergevin shouldn’t have to do that. If PK were a team player, he would be accepted back by the team, no problem. The players realize the business side to the sport so I don’t think they hold the contract holdout against him, it’s the fact that he does what he wants, when he wants, regardless of any direction from coaching or other players.

• Habsrule1 says:

The players should just suck it up, for the most part.

That said, it’s up to Therrien to reign PK in somewhat and not to let him “do as he pleases”. I find it hard to believe that none of the previous coaches had the balls to tell PK to listen and do what he’s told.

Seems a bit far-fetched to me.

Go Habs Go!!

• Mattyleg says:

Okay, let’s have some links/quotes/facts to back up that last bit of insight please.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• deen says:

This is when Gionta, Gorges and Markov as our captains also need to step up.

22. bear says:

Bear
    I’m drinkin the cool-aid, if we stay healthy we’re in the top 3.
    PK will tow the line, become a “team man” and still shine as an individual.
    There will be trades though…
    Go Habs! Go!

23. Hobie Hansen says:

The gal, not sure of her name, who is reporting on and traveling with the Canadiens and PK Subban on the TSN 690 A.M. – flat out said that there are players in the dressing room that won’t be welcoming Subban with open arms.

Do I believe her? I’m really not sure?

However, what ever minor disturbance that his return might cause, if any, will be quickly forgotten. Especially after Subban is briefed by Therrien and buys right into the new system and attitude of the team. He’ll be great!

• Luke says:

Meh. Let them worry about it. Not everyone likes everyone. They are adults and they are professionals.

I think a lot of this is the product of 15 all sports channels and radio stations needing to find (creating) something to report on.

I’m sure not everyone in the room loved Lafleur…

• frontenac1 says:

That new lass,Valerie on RDS is nice.

• Danno says:

Is PK the problem (if that is true) or are the players who refuse to welcome him the problem?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• canuckbot says:

I think you’re all giving too much credit to the media. I’ll bet every player understands the team ethos and they probably get along better than they let on ’cause frankly, the media is not part of the team and not privileged to the players personal relationships. (Stubbs excluded of course)

• canuckbot says:

Like when Markov says “Do you see him here?” I think that is Markov’s very dry humour. He takes a lot of pride in what he does for the new kids on D-block. And Gorges is just trying to make whoever asked the question understand that the team is bigger than 1 guy. Which is 100% true. Read between the lines.

• PK is definitely the problem

• Cal says:

Sounds like Jessica Russniak (sp?) is doing the girlie thing- focusing on player “relationships”. How about we all focus on the games tonight and tomorrow and stop worrying about players’ “feewings”?

24. Willy the bum says:

What’s important is trying to get wins out of 3 pairs of back-to-back games starting tonight; they’re gonna hit a rough patch of the season.

Better for the team to concretrate on the games instead of the Subban distraction. If life is a hockey season, reporters should not ask you about your co-worker returning from vacation instead of knowing you’re doing well on the job (bad analogy…).

Also, sarcasm doesn’t work on the internet.

25. habfan53 says:

Once the lockout was over all the pundits in their predictions for this shortened season were predicting Montreal to be better but still miss the playoffs I believe only 2 “experts ” picked them to make the playoffs.
    They were saying that the team was basically the same as last year and with a new G.M. and Coach , the lack of a pre-season not much would change.
    I know it is early but from watching the first four games it seems a lot has changed from last year, Markov and Gionta are back on any team that is like adding a top 6 forward and a top3 defenceman. Last year Montreal missed the playoffs by 14 points with these 2 playing the full season I think they would have made them.
    Another considiration is Montreal has a soft start to the season 5 games in 11 days that has allowed MT to spend more time on his system that the players seem to have bought into.
    The grit that Bergevin has added with Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon over Darche, Blunden and Campoli is very apparent.
    A years experience for Emelin (and now partnered with Markov) is huge. A pair of working wingers for Plex.

If Montreal does not finish 5th or better I would be dissapointed

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

• HabFanSince72 says:

We’ve played three crappy teams and one good one so far.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• bleedhabs81 says:

shhhhhh. Let him have this. It could all crash down (fingers crossed it does not).

Also, with PK back, we should stack up better against those elite teams and it might not be as bad as the pundits thought.

5th is very optimistic though.

• habfan53 says:

I said it was a soft start

Like the DODGERS “Wait till next year”

• Cal says:

We haven’t faced might Philly yet, right 72?
        This is the season our Habs kick ass. Can’t wait to shove that concept down the throats of the Gooins.

• The Dude says:

I believe the biggest factor in aiding Habs success this year is the shortened season…Lil guy’s like Gionta and D.D. and our smaller Defense men and Veterans like “Moen and Cole” will all be sharper for it. It will help Price as well.

• nunacanadien says:

Never mind this shortened season, imagine the wrong message this will send to Bergy and Terry, geeze the short guys did ok in a sprint with the big guys maybe the combo is right. Maybe it is and maybe it isn’t. The habs though could do better than trying to experiment with short guys. We had what almost twenty years of the habs trying to make the team float with only those players that want to come here. And on the whole they have been smaller type players, or players who are injured or who have some issue. Clearly we need to have a better system that is for sure.

• krob1000 says:

They added a number 1 dman…they added some character along with that toughness in gusy who can also eat pk minutes and 5 on 5 time freeing some of the more skilled guys to thrive in opportune times. They added Glachenyuk and Gallagher giving a 3rd scoring line…they won’t light the league up right away but they should have 2 guys scoring at a 15-20 goal pace which is pretty good for a 3rd line. They also had a horrible shootout record and a disfuntional organziation. They also had Diaz and Emelin adjusting to a North American game. They also had the Gomez issue hanging around the room..whether he is a nice guy or not it was a constant story and a negative one.
      There was also a Rene Bourque that looked like he did not want to be there..polar opposite thus far.
      There are several reasons for optimism right now and even with the Pacioretty news and PK still out probably until the weekend at the earliest…they HAbs can still win any given night.

• Ozmodiar says:

Yes, getting rid of Gomez helped.

As Jacques Martin said on L’AC – addition by subtraction.
        (I only wish the host of the show had a mirror close by.)

• nunacanadien says:

I wonder if Gionta though is still the right top 6 forward given that he has not been that great given the Gomez situation. But now that Gomez is gone you can see the team bucked up. Maybe it is wrong to suggest that only the short guys bring this team down but you can see it early in the season and as the season drags on.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I think the biggest part of their continued success is your second point.

By having some reliable 4rd/4th line guys playing the PK, they don’t have to run their best players out for extended durations of the PK. This statement doesn’t apply to Plekanec, he will be out there regardless of who is on the team

26. myron.selby says:

I’m not usually the kind of guy who likes to blow his own horn (OK, that’s a complete lie), but I am really happy to see that my predictions for Markov’s play have come true. Even I didn’t expect him to play this well until later in the season, but it looks like his time in the KHL got his timing and confidence back to the point where he is once again our best player not named Price.

I figure he’ll continue to improve as he gets some more games under his belt. But he is already making all those little plays that make so much difference. The little step-up and pokecheck to break up developing plays and his ability to find an open man when there doesn’t appear to be any options. And oh right, it looks like we may finally have a power play again. As I’ve always said, it doesn’t matter who is on the other point as long as they can shoot reasonably well, Markov will turn the power play into a deadly weapon.

As for the Eller debate – I can’t believe how quickly people are willing to give up on him. I fully believe and trust that Habs management don’t suffer from this type of short-sightedness. Eller will be a long time Hab and enjoy an excellent career here.

For those who claim he doesn’t have any vision I’d see if you could find his setup of a Kostitsyn goal last year. Eller came across the crease pulling the goalie with him. Without even looking he kind of laid the puck out behind him, giving AK a simple little tap-in into a wide open net. That’s the kind of play that very few centers could make.

He looked good when JM left him together with AK and Moen for a few games. But since they were doing so well together, obviously JM had to break the line up.

27. Phil C says:

Said Gorges: “I’m tired of talking about one guy. I’m glad it’s over.”

But it was never a distraction in the room…..riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

That’s funny right dere, I don’t care who you are!

• bwoar says:

Eller’s comment was the best. Gorges, honestly, should’ve found the Subban stuff a lot more entertaining after having spent months on end talking about being locked out.

Speaking of which, what does Erik Cole think? Or does he?

Seriously though, does ANYONE really wanna call the guy “The Subbanator”? He references “Subbaniacs” on his twitter feed… maybe it’s great for the 10 year olds, but it’s really thick cheese for anyone who’s seen the Habs win a Cup.

“thoroughbred”

• New says:

I think they’re being straight when they say it isn’t a distraction in the room. The press is the distraction. They stick a mic in your face because they are allowed to and ask about PK, do you like PK, why do you like PK, no comment — so you hate PK? Why on earth anyone in their right mind would ask a team mate to go on the record about another team mate is beyond me. Why a player would even answer is amazing. Markov at least says what he thinks which is usually “next question”.

28. J Haul says:

I love PK, but I also love that he isn’t just being slotted into the lineup blindly. Some people may read more into the approach and take it as “teaching PK a lesson”, but I think it’s just smart management.

The team is playing well, so take the time to get PK up to speed on the new style of play and get him in there when he’s ready. Thus far, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with Therrien this time around.

• nunacanadien says:

Yes it’s hard to find the right spot for all these small guys on the team. If I were Therrien I’d be asking Bergy, get rid of most of the small guys so we can mix and match, not the Carbo way, but you know what I mean. Honestly if we lose Cole or someone else that just leaves a big glaring hole and only a bunch of tiny tykes to fill it…..and we’ve had enough of the habs being bullied around enough of that! Wake up Molson! You have a bunch of tiny tykes on your dad’s dynasty team! You think your dad would ever let you do that? Time to spank Geoff cause he was a bad boy in trying to do the cheap with the dynasty habs!

29. Dr.Rex says:

Those who think they know a lot actually have yet to begin learning. While those who understand they know very little have begun the journey to become wise.

30. Danno says:

PK = L’enfant terrible

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

31. Cal says:

It appears that the players asked about PK’s return were being facetious. Eller’s “call him Pernell” crack and Gorges’ snide ” I’m tired of talking about one guy.” It reads, to me, that they are hoping PK reads their remarks and gets the joke.

32. ponyboy says:

Love the professionalism of the Habs this year, top down. No bites from management or players for the insane media and yes us, the fans of Montreal to blow out of proportion. The culture change is upon us…..

33. kmachabs27 says:

why is PK holding a left handed stick in that picture

34. jols101 says:

Non Hab News – Grigorenko will be playing his 6th game for the Sabres and will stay up for the remainder of the year.

That makes 3 players from the 2012 draft class making the transition to the NHL. Yakupov, Grigorenko and the best of the bunch our boy Galchenyuk.

I don’t think anyone else from the 2012 draft made the jump this year.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Still can’t believe given all the Burke hype about a #1 C and Goalie he takes Morgan Reilly over Grigorenko in this draft, classic.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• jols101 says:

I am really happy for Grigorenko. He got slagged by scouts and the media for months before the Draft, essentially calling him heartless and lazy. He fell in the Draft as a result of this and although this season is still in it’s infancy, I am very happy he is proving these hacks wrong.

• 24moreCups says:

Grigorenko has 0 points so far in the NHL. Not saying he won’t be a good player, good for him tho for staying with the club.

• Habfan10912 says:

He looked awfully good during the last Sabre game. A couple solid scoring chances. I think that forced the Sabres hand. It would have forced mine too.

———————————–

• Luke says:

Yah. He looks sharp though, playes well. They are also limiting his minutes drastically and playing him with the 4th liners, which hasn’t helped. Galchenyuk is benefitting from being played in a role that suits his game.

The way the Sabres are using Grigs reminds me of the way the Leafs have handled their top offensive prospects for years. Call ‘em up early, play ‘em with Domi and Belak…

35. L Elle says:

Another PK thread where we get to interpret stuff subjectively. Yay!!

36. Loonie says:

If any of this team’s players or coaches aren’t happy to have Subban back, they are the ones who don’t have the team mentality, because they’re better with him on it.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Any names of players and coaches that are unhappy? Sources?

• Loonie says:

People here are speculating that players aren’t welcoming Subban back with open arms.

My post is directed at those people, not players or coaches.

• Mattyleg says:

Don’t hold your breath.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Loonie says:

Instead of piling on why don’t you read the statement Matty. It was in no way me saying that players and coaches have an issue with Subban. It was me responding to the people here and in the media who believe they do.

• Cal says:

“Subban’s former defence partner, Josh Gorges, was cautious when asked about Subban’s return and said it was important for all the players to buy into the system.

Said Gorges: “I’m tired of talking about one guy. I’m glad it’s over.”

• Mattyleg says:

I did.
            Which is why I was implying that we wouldn’t be hearing anything from anyone!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Loonie says:

Wow you’re a hero Matty. Getting bored with the lego eh.

Keep on trolling buddy, all because we disagree on a couple of things.

• Hobie Hansen says:

They’re actually “speculating” about it on the TSN 690 A.M. right now. Playing interviews from Gorges and Markov saying they were ready to play with or without him and they’d prefer to talk about tomorrow night’s (taped yesterday) game.

Some people might take that as the two players are not overly enthused about him returning and don’t want to deal with any drama?

Others, I include myself in this group, think it is pretty much the standard answer they’d give for any player who was holding out.

• Mattyleg says:

Aw, come on Tom.
            I was agreeing with you.
            Jeezis!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Loonie says:

Matty if you were being sincere then I apologize.

I took your replies as sarcastic in nature, if I was wrong I’m very sorry.

• Mattyleg says:

No worries.
            I only do sarcasm in generalized posts, and I try to make it very broad.
            Sarcasm in online debates works very badly in my experience, so I stay away from it!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HardHabits says:

Tom. Might I suggest loosening your corset a bit.

• Loonie says:

Did it Dave thanks. And how did you know?

• Steeltown Hab says:

Agree.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• krob1000 says:

This is to be expected…what he did last year is done and forgotten….what he has done for this team (a team with a new gm, a new coach and (Gallagher, Prust, Glachenyuk, ARmstrong, Bouillon, halehty Markov, halethy Gionta, engaged Rene Bourque.)
      is NOTHING….right now to this team he is a very talented player who missed training camp and held out….
      Many of the guys know him BUT…you have been around enough teams to know that this is a fresh start and as far as this new team goes PK is starting from less than scratch right now and has to earn his stripes like everyone else.
      He is talented enough and from what we have seen a very likeable kid so it shouldn’t take too long…BUT…as far as his teammates are concerned….he held out, got nothing for it, skipped camp, had them all have to be pesetered with PK questions,etc….he has some making up to do…a couple big games, an apology and some team play will go along way in a hurry…and if it doesn’t ..then you can say they are not team players.
      You have to ask what was the PK/Meehan camp hoping would happen with a holdout? they would miss him so much they have to sign him for big bucks? how would you as a teammate perceive that approach? an approach where his camp benefits most from pressure and losing?
      He is 23, ultra talented and the cornerstone of the future D…but he is also a kid who has to eanr his stripes with a new group…every single day…you can’t live on your past and all that matters is today and tomorrow….everything should be ok moving forward and PK signing signals to me ..that he probably wanted to be back…and probably told his agent as much..that is a great start.

• HardHabits says:

I said numerous times that once Subban signed he wouldn’t be inserted into the line up without sitting out for a few games. I also contend that he wont be seeing top pairing minutes right off the bat either. Unless Subban is playing 25 minutes on Saturday I’ll be drinking Glen Livet courtesy of punskter.

• bwoar says:

I expect he’ll get paired with Gorges, no? Previously I had hoped to see Markov-Subban as a pair, but given Emelin’s play that idea seems to be kaput.

“thoroughbred”

• nunacanadien says:

No no no, and no and no and no!!!! Molson intends to buy out the Pernellator, like he bought out Gomez so PK can go play in Chicago with his brother! Yes, that is why they cleared out his locker! Therrien gets his way in the end and we are all happy Subban is signed. Hey Molson there is security guard on the ice level who needs his car lease bought out also! Hey anyone want to get their contract bought out? Molson is in the giving mood here….rich man with beer wants to buy out the smallest hockey players….Montreal still the place where aging and washed up and broken down players come to get their contracts bought out….

• Loonie says:

Markov and Emelin are this team’s #1 and #2 players until further notice. But I think we can all reasonably expect Subban to earn that #2 or #1 label before the end of the season.

• punkster says:

Your comment is a modification of our agreement, HH.

***SUBBANG BABY!!!***

• punkster says:

2013/01/25 at 7:46 pm | In reply to HardHabits.

Re: the wager earlier…I’ll take it. Top pairing after 3 games or sooner. Single malt.

***FREE PK!!!***

***SUBBANG BABY!!!***

37. BJ says:

There were forked tongues suggesting that Radulov and AK were rumored to opening up a boarding house for young Habs players in Montreal.

38. BJ says:

I’m cheering for PK to apply his talent both on and off the ice. Full out on the ice and as respectful to the room as his generosity to various causes and charities. He’s a smart young man and deserves the opportunity to show he belongs in full.

39. Mattyleg says:

These quotes are very surprising coming from Pat “Little Ray of Sunshine” Hickey.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

40. DMAN says:

The team has a good thing going. They are not going to portray that he is the saviour. Maybe they reserve their praise when it is deserved.

41. bwoar says:

Sounds like a room that doesn’t care to be distracted from the business of winning. Good! PK’s gonna have to be a factor on the ice to break in.

“thoroughbred”

42. Sportfan says:

I posted before that I am broke, but my friend just got greys so I am going to the game tonight I’m so excited! I also really wanted to see the Jets so that makes it even better! Go HABS Go!

On a side note I was surprised to see how many people favoured the Oilers on the poll so far! The Oilers are my favorite second team I’ve seen them a few times here but wow was really surprised.

43. Habfan10912 says:

When I was 23 my parents, coaches, and boss were the dumbest people I knew. I had all the answers to the world’s problems you just had to ask me. A few years on my tires and my parents became the wisest people I knew, my coach became my friend, and my boss became someone who I relied upon for his expertise. Today, I know very little about an awful lot. Just ask my kids. Just sayin. :)

———————————–

44. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I did an interview with an assistant GM in the NHL (capolagist) for work and got chatting about the Habs. He was (surprisingly) really high on Subban’s attitude, said he’s perceived as a strong teammate.

He referenced one story in particular:

After the playoff run in ’10, the Habs didn’t put any obligation on PK to return to Hamilton to play with the Bulldogs, who were still in the playoffs. But PK would hear nothing of it, saying “My team is in the playoffs” or something to that effect.

I know the guy has an attitude that rubs people the wrong way, but I think it’s underlined by a good one (though a touch exuberant). Remember him on the WJC team? He was everyone’s darling. And a huge leader on that team.

Let’s face it, playing for the Habs doesn’t endear you to a lot of people — jealousy, right? — especially if you have a flamboyant personality. So I wonder how much of this stuff is unfounded rumour.

At any rate, he’s young and an attitude is easier to teach than the skill he has. I really think with Markov back in the lineup, it’ll be great for him. He won’t be expected to be the go-to guy, can develop, learn to be a pro and be a big part of this team for a long time.

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks for sharing this Ghost. The guys in the room have to appreciate the kids work on the ice, no?

———————————–

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Let’s hope so! It’s so hard to genuinely gauge their feeling toward him, but hopefully it becomes one of mutual respect.

The guy is competitive as hell, we can all see that. Sure he shouldn’t be treated like the next coming of Christ….but he ain’t exactly Yannick Weber either, is he?

• The Cat says:

The problem is the team (any team) needs that guy with enough cred and character to handle these guys. Habs lack them, it aint Markov thats going to do it. Most russians have a reputation for having a me myself and I attitude and judging by the quote, it looks like Markov is no different. Not really a ‘rassembleur’ type of person.

• bwoar says:

Markov is a great team guy. Not sure if anyone would describe him as “me myself and I”.

“thoroughbred”

• The Cat says:

I would expect welcoming words from a veteran. Thats just me.

• bwoar says:

Gotcha. Well, of all the veterans on the team, Andrei Markov is definitely the least likely to comment on Subban one way or the other. #79 is the least media-friendly of the group; he’s always done his talking on the ice.

“thoroughbred”

• boing007 says:

They should all do most of their talking on the ice.

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

From what I hear, Marky has a great rep in the room. They don’t just hand out an ‘A’

• The Cat says:

I did not say he didn’t, just saying the guy kinda shirks away from being a leader. he doesnt have to fawn over the guy, just ‘its good to have him back and help out the team.’

• Sportfan says:

I think people like PK more than the media puts out. He’s got a strong personality and loves the game which sometimes puts guys off for some reason. I am really happy he’s back.

45. jedimyrmidon says:

Their enthusiasm is contagious…..

In reality, they’re all probably intently focused on keeping their early season success alive after what happened last year, and I can’t blame them. Hope Subban can buy into the team mentality and prove his worth!

46. DMAN says:

I think that the GM, Coach and Players are sending PK a not so subtle message: no one man shows allowed, be a part of the team or else. I don’t think it is negative at all. I think PK will get the message! Hopefully.

47. lavie says:

If a reporter cannot dig out at least one piece of positive comments, that means it’s all about negtivities.

• Chuck says:

What did you expect the players to do? Fawn all over P.K.? He won’t be getting access to the dressing room Cd player for at least the first week, that’s for sure.
      ___________________________________________________

48. Sakus Evil Twin says:

Love him or otherwise, Larry is always good for a soundbite:
    “We’re going to call him Pernell.”

Dude has a dry sense of humour.

Subban will need to enter the locker room with some humility…

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

49. The Cat says:

I dont think PK is a problem in any way. Because of the teams needs he had to take on a bigger role and he became a star while doing it. Whether the habs organization or other players like it or not, its up to them to deal with it. Had the habs had depth on D, none of this would have happened.

50. Habsrule1 says:

Not sure what to make of these quotes.

Sounds like maybe PK isn’t the biggest A-Hole on the team after all.

Go Habs Go!!

• Chuck says:

Sounds like he’s being told to know his role. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a team vote that led to his nameplate being removed a week into the season.
      ___________________________________________________

51. krob1000 says:

OK so either the guys are just frustrated about having to deal with the PK stuff for so long….or they are letting PK know he has some patch work to do in the room witht the guys for holding out…essentially for nothing. I view it as a positive that he signed for less…but many of them probably felt he should have signed for around that anyway…and been at camp, etc.
    For all PK does on the ice…in that room he still a young kid…and his great season means nothing to the guys…in fact they would all like to pretend last season never happened likely.
    PK is a good enough player and seems like a good enough person to realize that he may be needing to apologize to his teammates.
    As a fan …his deal is enough for me to make amends…let’s just move on…but he has to earn any role this year from scratch just like the rest of the guys do and to earn the respect fo his teammates…remember there are many vets in that room whoa re new leaders too who were not part of last year.

52. Chuck says:

For his first game they should play him for 3-4 minutes, and at forward a la Webber. That’ll put him in his place.
    ___________________________________________________

• stevieboy says:

Clearly, the boys felt good and proud of their accomplishments as a team, and having PK back, with his propensity to draw attention and his inflated presence, can be very counter-productive, even dangerous for that flow. Of course they arent thrilled.

Stevie

53. shiram says:

The quotes aren’t of great joy that’s for sure, but this is Mtl, and you can bet those guys have been asked about PK quite alot in the recent days and weeks, kinda overshadowing the teams success even.
    I can understand the annoyance.
    Markov’s always been that way with Subban, always refusing to answer questions about him.
    I doubt PK will play 25-26 minutes on his first game, it seems to me Therrien will probably gradually increase his minutes.

54. Cal says:

Funny to see the Oilers as most popular teams not named Canadiens. I guess people like to see a team that’s actually out-performed Toronto in the crap department the last 5 years.

55. Mattyleg says:

Something that hasn’t been mentioned in the excitement of PK’s signing is the Tale of Two Gallys, and specifically how they’re going to be brought up.

I was thrilled to hear that Galchenyuk is going to be living with his mum and sister in an apartment in Montreal, and that Gallagher is going to be living with Josh Gorges.

This is the kind of attention to the development of young players that was totally absent in the Gainey era. Don’t get me wrong, I loved Bob, and I don’t fall into the Anti-BG camp (he did both good and bad for the team), but one area I thought he was weak was how the organization brought up young players.

Rookies were left to fend for themselves; Carey Price had a big empty apartment on Nun’s Island, and had to cook and clean and whatever else himself (he probably had maids, etc, but I remember reading about what was in his fridge and cupboards, and it was chilling); Chris Higgins and Komo had apartments on the Plateau, in the middle of party-central (Higgins was so puffed up with booze and drugs by the time he left the Habs I’m surprised he could still skate); and the Three Amigos partied their way out of town.

Sidney Crosby, on the other hand, lived with the GM for years.

Bergevin seems to be changing the way we bring up our younger players, and it is definitely for the better. If ANYONE needs protection, it’s young hockey stars in the centre of the hockey universe, which also happens to be the most in/famous party town in North America.

Good on ya, Bergie.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

56. geo_habsgo says:

Well those aren’t positive quotes in the least. Gorges sounds particularly annoyed in his quote. I don’t like reading into things like this but I will anyway. The media knows how to fan the flames.

57. jols101 says:

Sounds like the boys are over joyed by the latest developments.

58. Say Ash says:

lol looks like PK will be served a heaping portion of humble pie for the time being

59. lavie says:

Things seemed complicated in the room. :confused:

60. arcosenate says:

Wow, everyone seems really excited to have him back.

61. HabFanSince72 says:

Could they not find one person with a relatively positive quote?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

62. von says:

As much as I want to see PK play, I’m glad they are taking their time with it. The team is playing well right now and there’s no rush to throw him in without even one full team practice under his belt. Saturday afternoon against Buffalo sounds good to me.

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

63. Mothstoflame says:

First!

64. Mattyleg says:

Lady who fly upside-down in helicopter bound to have crack-up.

—Hope Springs Eternal—