Habs take it easy

AUDIO: Roman Hamrlik | Travis Moen | Tomas Plekanec

The Canadiens had a team meeting this morning in Brossard and then had what Tomas Plekanec described as a welcome day away from the ice. Plekanec noted that several players are battling colds and needed both a mental and physical break.

Two players did take advantage of the ice. Jeff Halpern skated for about 15 minutes while Travis Moen went on the ice to break in a new pair of skates.

And RDS reports Mike Cammalleri has strep throat – and denies idiotic rumour he’d asked to be traded.

1. HNS says:

I wouldn’t go that far, but Mister Softie sharted the bed on 2 of those goals. Awesome 1st period for him though….

2. joeybarrie says:

Sorry I meant 7.5. Was typing too fast before lunch.

I dont know. He averages 40 goals a season on 82 games. I figure he could get 6-7 million in Washington. So maybe 7.5 in Montreal.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

3. SmartDog says:

I think that’s the way Gomez likes to play (it’s what he says) though I didn’t see anything especially inspiring.  The team has some guys who can do it, but you need to be strong (and sometimes it helps to be big) to win position while flying down the ice.  I think our guys get squeezed too much.  I wish we had a BIG line so that we could throw out our small line and then the big line would be a total change up to play against.  I think that could work.

——-

4. notbigbird says:

During the previous Pens games, this site was down, so I followed #Habs on Twitter. Some Pens fans were nauseating — all sorts of low and personal attacks. As bipolar as Habs fans are, I don’t see us doing as badly.

5. notbigbird says:

Did I miss something? I don’t recall the team using that excuse.

6. RGM says:

1. No, I don’t see how that gave the Pens 6 straight power plays that they used to their fullest advantage. If Carey continues to be so audacious to want to have some fun when he wins, let him.

2. Anybody can do a contest, it’s just a matter of creating one that is somehow worthwhile and benefits the team. I’m pretty sure that if the younger guys put their heads together they could have some fun with it. Heck, even PK’s trying to get Gill and the other old goats to do the low five.

3. There is something amiss about all of it. The Omark stuff had its day in the press but seemingly everything done by PK has an extra level of magnification to it. I don’t know what it is or why, but for a guy that’s just trying to do his job and play his game there is a disproportionate amount of attention paid to his actions.

4. Most likely trade deadline acquisitions would be just about anybody from the Devils or Senators. I don’t envision the Habs swinging too many deals with Ottawa, but there’s some intriguing names on that New Jersey roster.

5. Every team needs a grind line that can kill minutes, kill penalties, and not necessarily have to put up offensive numbers. Pluggers are a good thing to have to build character and do the things that the skills guy do not or will not. Moen is likely the most expendable guy simply because he’s a little longer in the tooth and can be replaced with a younger, less expensive version. That’s not a knock on him at all, but hey if I had to choose one…

7. newbrunswick troy says:

During last nights game (in the second period ) there was about five mins. of open end to end hockey. what i noticed about that short time was how exciting it was to watch!!!

That said, you could tell that this team was meant for a different system (defence first) and i don,t believe that the habs have the true core to play that way…..anyway my point is that i unfortunitly believe that the habs at best might have a playoff making team, and we will be lucky to do just that!!

Do you all agree,  or am i being cynical????

8. Habhopeful says:

agree, i would have loved someone like raffi torres & manny malholtra, great 3/4 liners

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!” ~Rodney Dangerfield~

9. Storm Man says:

LoL ManApart

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

10. SmartDog says:

I’m not saying they’re useless… just saying thatI think they are sacrifice choices and maybe at least Moen and Pyatt – two guys with stone hands – is hard to maintain and expect much scoring support from your bottom six.  I know goals aren’t there thing but even plunkers with decent ice time should get 8-10 goals a season.

——-

11. Habhopeful says:

all hail the know it all…Can dallas pay a player in Zeller’s gift cards? cause dallas is hindered by money, he is not stayin in dallas…

12. Habhopeful says:

on your 5th point, defenders are there to defend, gill is worth his value although he has some defencies, like all players…but i agree moen or pyatt are easily replaceable with more energetic, tough players

13. Habhopeful says:

this aint a videogame, regardless of what they are being paid, they are human, they suffer sicknesses and more injuries then you could possibly endure at your job…every team gets gamebreaks, i do agree if effort isnt there something should be done like a bagskate and all, but sickness is going around and theyve played back to back home and away games…being a bitter lil wanka like timo because they get paid the insane amount of money they are being paid is stupid, you wanna make as much money as them? shoulda played and stayed in competitive hockey, or become an entrepeneur with a good product or become a doctor or better yet, hope to god your one of richard hilton’s sac swimmers and be born into money…

14. LA Loyalist says:

Your argument is a wash because the other teams have the same issues of back to back games, flying etc., some teams (Edmonton) have it worse, but over a season it should roughly average out.

And in Gary’s world we get Atlanta playing San Jose on a Tuesday in February and no one gives a crap.

But to not show up or mail it in as many nights as we have is ok? Really? It may not be ok when we miss the playoffs by 1 or 2 points on the last night of the year.

15. Mattyleg says:

Unfortunately, the Too Many Men penalty was JM’s fault too. He could work on his own discipline while he’s at it, I guess.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

16. sholi2000.com says:

Go Habs Go

Submitted by Peterborough Ha… on Thu, 01/13/2011 – 11:48.

Price again blew this one. When are people going to realize he is a backup goalie.

17. rocketsglare says:

There’s nothing wrong with the team given a day to rest. Will help them to heal and refocus for

Saturday’s game against the Rangers. Hopefully, Cammalleri will be able to play this Saturday.

18. SmartDog says:

FIVE (kinda complex) QUESTIONS:

1. Did Price’s ‘statue’ move have anything to do with the loss last night?  Should he keep doing things like that?

2. Regardless of your answer to #1, the Pens obviously enjoyed feeding up some humble pie. They commented on having a ‘contest’ before the game and obviously it got them going.  Are the Habs capable of a contest of their own?  Is it within the team culture?  Does it matter?

3. I’m bothered by more crapping on PK in the media.  In your opinion, is this just hockey trash-talk or is there a distasteful undercurrent here and why?

4. Who is the single best likely AVAILABLE player (a UFA from a non-playoff team, or a pricey player who needs to be moved) PG could pick up before trade deadline?

5. We have three guys on this team who are basically strong on PK and
    liabilities in other ways.  Result: great PK. But it can be aruged
    THREE such one-dimensional guys hurts us 5-on-5 and together Pyatt,
    Moen, Gill are a collective -15 with 4 goals.  Are you cool with this
    and if not who’s most expendable?

——-

19. Mattyleg says:

I don’t agree with your third point, Mike.

They didn’t really know each other in those days, and they certainly weren’t more ‘gentlemanly’ to one another. Look at all the stick-over-head incidents that took place. Look at what happened on a regular basis to Maurice Richard.

Bigger ice surfaces. When I was watching the 1937 clip that was on here, it was great to see the (smaller) players skaing around, with plenty of open ice. People have grown, why hasn’t the surface? It’s like keeping the basketball net at the same height that it used to be.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

20. avatar_58 says:

Why? I agree with him, for the money these guys make for playing a game they can’t uses excuses like being too tired. Look at how much money some players make to simply coast and then not show up to practice. Wish I could do that at my job

21. Habhopeful says:

ouch…poor timo’s never done anything worth of importance or value in his life, so he becomes one of those bitter “he makes alot of money so i hate him” kinda guys…pretty pitiful timo….stick to 69’ing with Azamat bud…

22. shiram says:

Wow he is really getting that reputation now, and all those bozo’s chiming in will only make it worst.

23. scrowe21 says:

I agree, but Id keep Moen over Pyatt. Pyatt really needs to go..

24. Mark C says:

It’s not just the blogger Mike, the Pen’s TV guys claimed that P.K. kicked at one of the Pens in the first period, then stated that kicking is part of P.K.’s MO, going on to mentioned the slew foot from the NYR game. What did P.K. do to these people? The whole NHL seems to hate the guy.

25. scrowe21 says:

Semin is good, but Not worth 8.5. lol

26. SmartDog says:

No argument here.

BTW, checked out MGMT.  Cool stuff.

——-

27. SmartDog says:

Having three guys – Moen, Pyatt, Gill – who basically are PK specialists and good for little else makes our PK good but our team suck.  So it’s not a great trade-off IMO.   At least one has to go: Pyatt or Moen… both have cement hands.

To me, Moen is BGL
    lite.  And that’s pretty bad.  The guy has cement-hands. He always tries
    to do things he’s not capable of and then loses the puck.  Drives me
    nuts.

——-

28. JD_ says:

* Sweet Almighty Jeebus in a wetsuit! The Habs are takin’ a day off! What an outrage! Off with their heads! Let them eat cake! A stitch in time saves nine! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall! Oui Papa! A bird in the hand…however will I get through the day?

* Don’t have a problem with JM. Havin’ said that, he absolutely has to drill some discipline into the players’ skulls. The way penalites are assessed may be inconsistent, but the actions that trigger the calls are obvious as hell. Do it enough times in a game and you’re gonna be on the PK enough times. Poolio’s been playin’ with intensity, which is great, but he easily could have marched to the box a half-dozen times last night, let alone the three or so times he did. Same goes for the Rangers game.

* Thought Fleury’s gesture at the end of the game was awesome. If the tables were turned, and it was Price throwin’ it back at MAF, we’d all be whoopin’ it up. It was personal, so spare me the rallyin’ point absurdities. It’s all about a competitive spirit and drive that makes grown men get thin-skinned and act like kids. I pull that crap all the time and I wouldn’t have it any other way. If you find that stuff off-puttin’, then I needn’t warn you about record-low international rice puddin’ inventories.

* If the All-Star game is so utterly lame, and the game itself absolutely is, one might question why the NHL insists on holdin’ it every year. One might also want to consider that what happens on the ice is almost really just an afterthought. There are respected, professional sports columnists who still can’t quite grasp this notion.

* How lame is the All-Star game? I have two words: Phil and Kessel.

* And Brian Burkie sux.

29. scrowe21 says:

Yeah, Moen kinda sucks…but they need some snipers. Moen plays his role.. The scorers aren’t.

30. mike g says:

So, here’s what I found on Hockeybuzz…

The Pens blogger wrote this about Jordan Staal’s game vs us last night:

“Fitting that he gets his first points of the season against a team whose defenseman, P.K. Subban, carelessly tore a tendon in his foot during last year’s playoff run. “

Haahahahaha..

Yes, Mr. Penguins blogger, PK succeeded in doing what he set out to do, cut Staal’s tendon. It was his mission all along. And I’m sorry, but I’ve never seen someone get their tendon sliced carefully by someone. They’re accidents, ya moron.

What about Markov’s tendons? Were they too torn carelessly by Matt Cooke?

LOL, what a dork this guy is..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

31. SmartDog says:

Who’s a better Moen?  Because the one we have is broken.

——-

32. ManApart says:

Richards is going nowhere

33. ManApart says:

LoL Gomez

34. kirkiswork says:

We lose one game in a row and everybody freaks out. Par for the HIO course.

35. homerbowen says:

As the trade deadline approaches we must NOT – trade any of our draft picks.

However, we must make every effort to trade some (most) of our smurfs. Getting smaller is going the wrong way. We continue to get pushed off the puck and a long season will only wear their little legs down. While they have great heart and grit it will not translate into winning. Move them quickly if at all possible.

We urgently need to get bigger and tougher (not goonery).

36. joeybarrie says:

So the whole Brad Richards post blow makes me dream…

HOW ABOUT THIS:

Gomez 7.3, Gio 5, Cammi 6, Pleks, 5, Moen 1.5, Eller 1.271, Spacek 3.8, PK .875, Price 2.75.

We re-sign, Auld 1mil, Pouliot  2mil, MaxPac 750k, Darche 750k, Pyatt 650k, Halpern 750k, Gill 1.5mil, Wiz 4.5mil and Gorges 2.75mil

WE SIGN SEMIN 8.5 million and someone like Montador 2.5

Our cap hit is 59 and we probably have 3 million or so left.

Semin, Pleks, Cammi

Gio, Gomez, MaxPac

Pouliot, Eller, Moen

Darche, Halpern, Pyatt

PK, Gorges

Wiz, Spacek

Gill, Montador

Weber

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

37. mike g says:

There are many factors that explain it..

1- Bettman took away hooking/clutching and grabbing, thinking it would increase goalscoring across the league, so that the game would apparently be more exciting and his expansion teams could succeed. Result: Goalscoring hasn’t increased, and the players can now pick up so much speed in the neutral zone that once they hit eachother it’s like 2 trucks colliding. The game, IMO, is just too fast for the human body to absorb.

2- Players are bigger, faster and stronger than ever before. Alot of players eat, sleep and base everything around their workouts. They train like madmen, and are in incredible physical shape. So when they hit, it’s gonna hurt.

3- Lack of respect. When there were only 6 teams, all the players knew eachother. They respected eachother, for the most part. Now, with 30 teams and over 500 players, there’s just no way to establish true friendships and know eachother, thus developping genuine respect and playing with it.

That’s what I think, at least…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

38. LarryKaraoke says:

Today’s players are insane. Colin campell is a wuss. The concussion rate is way too much. Even in the 50s and 60s, when I played junior, we never had such brain trauma. We never wore the head gear they have today either. Maybe too much “protection” gives players the added incentive to injure and disrespect the opposition. It is not only the goons who are responsible. Everyone is bigger and faster now. The only real solution is: the right for any player’s lawyer to sue both the league and the individual players and coaches for assault or worse and really cripple the offending players and teams with major time suspensions and loss of pay as a consequence of their continued ignorance of the safety factor and continued support of the Cherry factor of the manly art of physical mayhem on the ice. Or, ( tongue in cheek) we wait for a life-threatening injury to occur, and then think about what we might or should have done. By the way, that sob Todd Bertuzzi is still playing, making big bucks, while his victim still continues to be incapacitated and will never regain normalcy. He should have been suspended for life. Until next time. Larry B.

39. joeybarrie says:

We have Pleks and Gomez for the assists. If we bring in a top player like that, we need him to do 30-40 goals. Especially for the money Richards will ask for. I would prefer to put the money into Semin. The Caps might have some problems signing him.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

40. joeybarrie says:

I really do not understand why people are thinking that these guys do not deserve a break. I do not get why they should be practicing hard everyday. They have colds, bruises and the like. The body needs to heal.

As for using it as an excuse its pretty simple. They are pro athletes playing against pro athletes. If your not in top condition due to illness or whatever you are battling uphill.

Why do we think our guys are any different from the other team. Why do our guys HAVE to be able to be above that stuff, and beat a team that isnt?

BE REALISTIC. Over working them doesn’t help. Why would it? Can anyone actually give a reason instead of simply stating they should work. They are millionaires, so the rules of biology doesnt really apply to them???? I mean what exactly are you stating?  Lots of money, so no break. Screw you, you make millions so you should be able to play thru it. So if they WERE to play through it, do you really think that would be BETTER??????

Is there any common sense anymore?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

41. Maksimir says:

Since this seems to be an open topic post:

The one semi-available guy I would like to see the Habs go after is Brad Richards.. don’t know how cap space would work out but I think he would be a great fit.

42. Maksimir says:

Since this seems to be an open topic post:

43. VancouverHab says:

Wasn’t that the same take on Kovalev? That he ramped it up for the playoffs?

I don’t know if it’s the right attitude, but my attitude has definitely become that the regular season means little (finish in the top 8 is enough) & the playoffs mean all.

44. VancouverHab says:

My respects for your balanced views, 24C: now I’ll be forced to take your criticisms should Gomez’s play drop off in reciprocal spirit.

45. habs365 says:

unless they improve this team every year..cammy’s career will be over before that happens..we have a good team..just not ready for the stanley cup yet

46. habs365 says:

I say don’t keep anyone who don’t wanna be with the Habs

47. UK-HAB says:

try watching the EPL and look at referring incompetence and bias! We have only 3 pitch officials covering an area 5 times the size of a rink, refusal by the world governing body to implement any sort of video review leading to headline dominating & game deciding gaffs on a weekly basis, and referees with clear team allegiances and beer bellies!

Compared to other major sports I personally find watching officiating in the NHL to be much more bearable. Of course there are times we feel singled out when watching a game, last night especially, but human error is an inevitable part of sport.

48. habs365 says:

you are so wrong

49. Mike Boone says:

Nah, it’s a load of crap. Canadiens play them only four times. Talbot, Letang and Fleury like to do some woofin’ as Quebec homeboys, but the Penguins save their hatred for Washington and, especially, Philadelphia.

50. JIMVINNY says:

I’d pay to see the beatdown that Price would lay on Fleury.  That being said, I’d take Price in a goalie fight against almost all the goalies in the league.  He’s calm most of the time, but when he’s mad, he’s mean.  If he’s got the cojones to go after Cam Janssen, there can’t be too many players in the league he’s afraid of.

51. Danno says:

It’s just a feeling it’s true. But boy some games really make you wonder Punkster. And I should add the Habs have made some bone-headed mistakes which lead to well-deserved penalties. Who could forget the two too-many-men-on-the-ice penalties we got in a row against the Lightning?

Is there a place that has the numbers for penalty differential? I can’t find it anywhere.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

52. REB says:

So long as Butthead, sorry, Bettman, is in charge, 2 Canadian teams will never, ever, ever play for the cup…and I have to say that I understand.  An all-canadian SC just won’t sell in the US, at least not more than 100 miles fron the border.  The way to prevent this from happeneing is to wink-wink, nudge-nudge the officials, and to introduce a salary cap so that teams become equal (more or less).

Just because I am paranoid doesn’t mean that I am wrong!

53. PeterD says:

Rodeo Price would have Fleury roped, tied and branded with a CH on his ass before Fleury knew what they were doing.

54. kempie says:

Tim Donaghy

That is all.

55. kempie says:

Price would slap the taste outta his mouth.

56. punkster says:

Dan, while it may appear to be either conspiracy or corruption my take is it’s incompetence. I’ve watched various other games and the blown or incorrect calls seem to crop up everywhere. I don’t know enough about the refs themselves to say definitively who are the worst (Lee, etc) but it would be an interesting project for the number crunchers on here to look into. Until we see actual figures on all the officials I’m sceptical.

***Subbang!!!***

57. Ayan_SB says:

The “icing on the cake” in that Detroit game was the Swedish ref shaking hands with Johan Franzen after the game.

58. Sportfan says:

Fleury would get his but kicked but Price from here to Yelloknife haha but seriously FLeury is a tard and yeah not a fan since the Juniors haha

59. Danno says:

Maybe they are. But the important stat is the differential between how many penalties are being given to the team compared with how many penalty minutes the oposing team is issued. I believe we continue to be among the top teams in that department.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

60. F Bomb says:

I’m glad you asked.

Penner has performed and was highly toughted by Burke after he won a cup in Anahiem.  We all remember the gernade Kevin Lowe threw at Burke.  That being said, that was Penner’s first solid year and he played a great supporting role in winning.  Then the RFA trade.  It was highly publicized and Penner was under a microscope his 1st yr and scored 23 goals.  Yr. 2 dropped to 17 goals and was almost run out of town due to his contract.  Yr 3 he explodes 32 goals.  This year he has not been playing 1st line minutes as the young guns are developing.  (in which he complained about ice time) Through the ups and downs he still has 12 goals (4 PP and 1 SH).  He has one yr remaining at $4.5

The Oilers have 2 options with him. He can play variety of roles and is a big body.  I have a feeling they have him on the team as a somewhat veteran presence.  There has also been talk that he he doesn’t always play physical but none the less is 6’4 – 245.  He insulates the young guys as he can log minutes and take charge through ups and downs.  Edmonton may want to keep him for that reason and trade him next yr.

On the other side, they may want to dump salary, see a FA that works or can get a good return.  For the right price they will trade him.  BUT it will have to be a good price because they gave up picks to get him and was a rather big name in a small market.  They will not trade him for a similar player, they will want young guys back and guys that can help now.

Montreal’s case.  Everyone here wants a big winger.  You would have to think they have assets to give up.  They also have cap room this year and will get to have Penner for a full 2012.

Kostitsyn, Weber, DD, Moen, Pyatt, I don’t know all the Bulldogs but there is some value down there + Edmonton will want a pick back as well.  (Montreal has a 1st which is gold now a days)  I would think they would offer Kostits, Weber and a 1st to get him.  Problem is Penner puts up goals, they ladder struggle to.

Is a combination of that enough?  Too much?  I think no because he is a 1st line player so losing Kostits is a wash, and their prospect depth allows them to move those guys as they are all the same.  + we have dam good smoked meat.

61. shiram says:

Yea because Toronto can allow players to make mistake, they are not in the playoff race right now.

62. habs365 says:

the difference playing for toronto..if Grabovski makes a mistake, he still get’s to play if you see where I’m coming from.

63. sholi2000.com says:

Gatta Go with the Stronger tougher Canadian.  Price all the way.

Submitted by Peterborough Ha… on Thu, 01/13/2011 – 11:48.

64. Danno says:

I am convinced there is corruption among at least some NHL referees. There is big, big money involved if you can affect the outcome of the game by tilting the ice in favour of the team you want to get the win. The game against Detroit on Dec. 10th is another case in point. It was quite similar in that we got six penalties to the Wings’ only getting one penalty in that game. As a result Detroit beat us 4-2.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

65. mike g says:

Yup..

He’s got some monster choppers.

And have you ever seen him NOT smile during an interview?

It’s like 6 years he’s in the league, is he still camera-shy?

Every question they ask him, he has that little smirk on his face like, “OMG, I’m on TV”.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

66. derfab says:

In the end Fleury might win because it could lead to him having to get his teeth fixed.

67. shiram says:

Rds was saying the Guins are the most penalized team in the league though. And yea officiating is always up and down, with little consistency.

68. habs4ever2894 says:

Lets trade him to columbus for RJ Umberger….

69. shiram says:

So there is a rivalry brewing between the Habs and the Guins… we beat em in the playoffs last season, and now the goalies are posing.

So my quesiton who would win in a fight between Price and Fleury?

Price being bigger I’ll go with him.

70. LA Loyalist says:

Sure hope you are right Mr. Bomb. If we could get Penner for AK and a tray of smoked meat i will be thrilled. I’m going to the Edmonton/Kings game Saturday night and will watch Mr. Penner closely.

How is it you think this is a possibility (aside from what we might be giving up) or just a wish?

God we need a couple of male hockey players on this team.

71. joshua94k says:

Last night was the 1st time since 2002 when the Canadiens gave up 4 powerplay goals in a game. The officiating was terrible. It seems the league needed to rescue their team (Penguins) from its slump. They were given 6 straight powerplays and the Canadiens could never get back into their groove. Pouliot’s high stick penalty was absurd, he didn’t even touch the Penguin player.

How many times this season has the oppostion gotten more powerplays than the Canadiens?

72. F Bomb says:

He is going to go on a tear at some point! Lets hopeits the last 20 games of the season.  My feeling is that he likes Montreal and has a good repore with Gainey.

Its nice to see drafted players do well with the team.

73. avatar_58 says:

You know as well as I do they’ll trade him at the first chance. They don’t care about quality players

74. LA Loyalist says:

We’re in a ‘win now’ situation? Crap, somebody better tell the players.

“If a player starts scoring too much, it’s a problem, it means he’s not working hard enough on defense.” Jacques Martin

75. Habhopeful says:

do CEO’s deserve as much money as they have? the world is overpaid…When your product becomes national, even international, more money gets put in and the more money put in, brings in that much more money…Baseball players, overpaid…Basketball players, overpaid…Hockey players, overpaid, company presidents, overpaid…if the NHL wasnt as successful as it is now, which truth be told, it isnt as successful as it should be, they wouldnt be paying ridiculous salaries to the players of its leagues, which would therefore make it an unpopular sport which would mean you wouldnt have the product you see on the ice now…and bash the NHL as much as you want, this is a sport (A league) you would find very difficult to live without…you wanna stop nhl players from being overpaid? drop it from your schedule and your life, you may not contribute money to the league directly, but you do indirectly by watching it and surfing the hockey sites…

Where do you think the players who coast in the NHL came from? they would have done anything to play in the league originally, and play for peanuts as you put it, but the market dictates, you play a good game, your marketable (even if your not) and you help the team, that means your worth something to the owners and as long as you can sell, you can bring them cash

those 3rd and 4th line players you mention with mentioning, will eventually begin to “coast” knowing they have financial security, its human nature regardless of the your salary…

Get into politics if you want something done about the worlds inflated salaries, but dont be bitter because they decided to work to get where they are and you decided to join a blog and complain about it, i dont mean to sound like an a$$hole but this stuff just annoys me…

76. HABSsince92 says:

It’s been a slow day at work
    so I figured I would follow up on something Boone wrote in Quick Hits and About
    Last Night……I have been posting and saying the same thing all year about
    the Habs letting in goals early and late into games. So I decided to take a
    look and see just how prevalent they have been this year and what the effect on
    the game there was. Now obviously letting in a early or late goal is not the
    only reason why a team wins or loses but it is a troubling stat. So here we
    go………..

1:46 into 3rd. Lost

Florida, Dec. 31st :28 and 2:13 into 2nd. Won

Atlanta, Jan. 2nd :16 left in 2nd. Lost in OT

Pittsburgh, Jan. 6th 2:14
    into 1st. Won

Pittsburgh, Jan. 12th :11 left in 2nd, 2:33 into 3rd. Lost

Overall record in these games
    9 wins, 14 losses, 3
    OTL. Win % of .346

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

77. JIMVINNY says:

Nice work.  Not that those stats should shock anyone, it’s no secret that goals very early or late in periods can be rather demoralizing.  The interesting part is that it proves that most of this teams problems are between the ears;  When they don’t have to deal with momentum-robbing goals such as those, they win a LOT of games.  If we pull out the 9-14-3 record you compiled where those goals were allowed, you’ve got a stellar 15-3 record left over.

78. arcosenate says:

Well, we can talk all we want about trading AK but I doubt you would be able to get the equivalent disappointment on the market today.  His upside is such that you can’t really quit on him and get something useful in return. Tough to make that trade.

Better off playing him on the fourth line with the instructions to hit everything that moves and slowly build him back up…

79. habs4ever2894 says:

RJ UMBERGER

80. SeriousFan09 says:

Leafs have saved their season! They’ve traded for Fabian Brunnstrom, because they do love to get players with that coveted title “The best outside of the NHL” at one point in their careers.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

81. RJB says:

I don’t like the leafs, but thats a good trade. I always though Brunnstrom was a heck of a hockey player.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

82. Mike Boone says:

A lot of GMs, including Bob Gainey, wanted Brunnstrom when he came over. Dallas won a bidding war.

83. thebigguy says:

Lies, all lies, Mike.

How could Mike Camalleri deny trade rumours if he has strep throat? That’s just impossible!!!!

84. Bugs says:

Just read a Bleacher Report. (Yeah, yeah, I know) And buddy pondered that perhaps it’s no surprise that Poolio has been playing his best hockey since Lapierre got traded. No elaboration. Now, me hamster’s runnin.

Question: did anyone ever hear about something related to that?

Booner? Stubby? Hickey?

Polygonically contained, I square off as

L. Bugs Potter, esq., Herzog of ze Abominable Habsuchtig Brigade, Markgraf of ze Fearsome Flanell Flausen Flank, und devoted minion of ze Habsbros Order: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

85. arcosenate says:

The U.S. economy picked up after Laps was traded too, but I am not sure either are related…unlike my parents…

86. arcosenate says:

Yeah, lying on his back beating Price 3 years ago. Big hard worker, but still…

87. Bugs says:

You packed two zingers in one sentence!

I salute you, sir.

Polygonically contained, I square off as

88. Sportfan says:

I agree when i saw that trade i was like holy crap a decent one

89. adamkennelly says:

Move AK and whatever picks you have to to get Umberger and Boll and significantly improve this team for the rest of the season and playloffs. Done.

90. likehoy says:

why would columbus want another inconsistent winger for one of their better players?
    they already have to deal with brassard, voracek, huselius and vermette…

- Gomez is holding down the suck button

91. ABHabsfan says:

After the way he has played, I’m not sure Dallas “won” anything

92. Exit716 says:

Dallas got Fabian…Gainey had to settle for a Swedish version of Paul Anka.

93. observer says:

no! he settled for a danish.

lars eller

Feeling ripped off somewhat at the Bell Center last night. The between period game of Tim Bits playing, was the only thing worth the price of admission.

That and some fantastic saves by Price.

95. habs365 says:

lets face it..we’re no better than an 8th place team..in the next few weeks..atlanta or carolina is gonna prove that.

96. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

Wish they could win one for you and the little lady Ian…

97. Bill says:

Wow, I am sorry you had to witness that. But … didn’t you say they have lost every time you’ve seen them play in person? Jinx …

Full Breezer 4 Life

98. HNS says:

I told u I’d pay u not to go! What happened???

99. SmartDog says:

I like this.  Forget last night.  Our team is playing with injuries and illness.  Just take a breather and regroup.

——-

What a courageous bunch. I am almost in tears.

101. Habscat says:

Time to regroup and get healthy. Cammy back will help. Looking at the roster I see Darche, Eller, Moen, Halpern (since the game #10 mark),  & Pyatt. I like a lot of these guys, but its overkill. In my opinion Eller needs more minutes and isnt a 4th line guy. He hasn’t produced and maybe should go down if The Count is going to use him the way he is. Next, if Darche is getting more than 9-10 minutes because he is outworking everyone, then you have work-ethic problems. Moen has been useless. If you dont score, dont take faceoffs, dont fight, and don’t check like you used to, there is no room for you. We have too many guys who should be 4th line guys at best. Boyd and White could be up here to do the same. I have been an AK46 fan, but the heart is gone. We need another 1st-2nd line player for him (and a prospect perhaps), then package one of these bottom line guys with a young D for another 2nd-3rd line guy.

As for the defence, I have never liked Picard, and Weber is really showing me nothing. Easily knocked off of the puck, players dance around him.

As much as I am sounding like a Negative Nelly, the bottom line is this team was assembled and had the personel of an attacking team. Then we hired a dinosaur coach who is allergic to excitement.

102. Diriangen says:

The Habs should go after Mike Fisher. Given Ottawa’s recent troubles, I believe EVERYBODY is available, except for perhaps Erik Karlsson and Jason Spezza.

Go Habs!

103. HabFanSince72 says:

His wife says she’s never going back to Montreal after – get this – their car got broken into on a recent trip.

104. shiram says:

I saw Plekanec blowing a nose full of snot last night, and he says the teams is battling colds. I would definately they were not 100% last night, though thats no excuse for the loss.

So enjoy the rest boys, you all need to bring 100% come saturday!

105. jimmy shaker says:

Auld expected to start vs the rangers on Saturday night and if the boys win will get the game vs the flames on Monday, leaving Price to face the sabres in the final of the back to back on Tues. in Buffalo.  As per Bertrand Raymond!

Shaker’s out, and I like Bert’s thinking!

106. Chuck says:

Expected to start after a two day break? I’d think that either Calgary (non-conference) or Buffalo (road game on the tail-end of a back-to-back) would be more likely.

Centre Hice: C’mon… vogue

107. jimmy shaker says:

Gotta go with Bert on this one…..Auld vs the rangers = winning record, and if he wins on Saturday, I think JM has to give him another start vs Calgary.  I’m pretty sure Price doesn’t not have a winning record vs the west coast teams to boot.  If, Auld loses sat, I say give Price the flames and the sabres since he has a good record vs the sabres in his career.  But in a sweet scenario plays out, Auld wins Sat, starts and wins mon. then Price comes in and finish’s off the sabres.  I think it’s very logical and makes sense for both Auld and Price.  Auld needs more action, Carey needs a spell, everyone wins and we are all happy for another day or two.

Shaker

108. habs001 says:

gion on pace for his second highest goal scoring season..plecks on pace to have his best goal scoring season..camm a bit off but will probably still score 28 goals..ak46 will hit 20 and pouliot around 18.gomez will score what he has done last few years…the other forwards are not overachieving but not underachieving either…this is the offense we have…eller and maxpac the jury is out on how many goals they can score but based on the number of goals they have scored outside of the nhl more than 20 goals from them a year is hard to expect…it is not like our forwards have had a huge drop off in goal scoring from  before they came to the habs because of martins system… this line up will never be a top 15 goal scoring team in the nhl ..we can score more goals if the pp gets hot in the playoffs but other wise any success has to be in mostly 2-1, 3-2 games…not sure why many posters feel this team should score more goals.. when i checked about 10 games ago most of our forwards were on their career goals per game pace…

109. j2w4habs25 says:

Why would Cammy want to leave beautiful Montreal – come on’ I’m sure he is loving the hockey mecca city, the team is doing okay – can be way better but give them time to regain themselfs – I believe in this team.

Carey Price #31

110. krob1000 says:

cammi on pace for 23, gomez on pace for 11 goals and 31 a’s for 41 points? Andrei on pace for 18 goals and 42 points, Gio on pace for 27 goals but only 43 points……this is not what their salaries warrant….not even close…..you may have checked 10 games ago but that is a long time ago and we sure haven;’t scored much since then…..our offence is beyond sputtering….we need help…or many lights to turnon simultaneously.  Moen,Eller and Pyatt have to chip in with something but it is inevitable…we need help…..I would settle for Alex Tanguay right now….not sure why he got such a bum rap here and was called soft…then again people here failed to realize Serei could play either…..then they blamed his attitude and claimed they never said it….then several other young guys were lsot for nothing,etc….geting on a bad path here…gotta quit now.

111. j2w4habs25 says:

Hasnt it been strong for awhile now – atleast a good couple years.

Carey Price #31

112. habs001 says:

i agree we need help if we wish to score more goals…but i am not sure that there is that much more goals to squeeze out of the players we have right now…

113. observer says:

look at the seat prices, the sales of memorabilia, the never an empty seat – this team like toronto who you all hate have been absolutely cleaning up for years. no matter if they have good seasons or bad. although like habs last year getting to play 8 home playoff games extra made the profits even higher.

114. observer says:

yes, since unemployment rates in the usa at new highs, people losing their homes.  lower US dollar, etc. – yes since obama took over everything is worse in the usa. and the wars still continue and the threats against the usa keep coming.

115. observer says:

He just might to go home and play for the Leafs?

116. Danno says:

The US dollar is in steep decline on the currency exchange — which is why our dollar appears strong in comparison to it. Parity with the US dollar is not an indication of an overall absolute increase in agregate wealth within the Canadian economy — relative to the global economy.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

117. naweed235 says:

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH LOOLLLLLLLLL

as if anyone wants to play for the laffs!

thank you for that one I really needed a good laugh… cheers

118. jennifer1984 says:

anyone watching Sens/Isles game?

Clouston is wearing a plaid suit? or at least a jacket……. im not sure how i feel about this. doesn’t suit him.

119. jennifer1984 says:

also wth is going on with this astrology crap? im no longer a taurus/gemini cusp but a taurus??!?!? it was my first car.

also im behind 5 years….since when did they announce Pluto wasn’t a planet….how am i gonna do that rhyme now.?

the world is coming to an end.

120. petrov14 says:

Im a Ophiuchus. WTF is that???!

Hell, I can’t even pronounce it!

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

121. SmartDog says:

5 EASY (EITHER/OR) QUESTIONS:

1. Who gets canned first, Murray or Clouston?

2. Who would win in a goalie tussle: Price or Fleury?

3. Which tough guy would you rather have?  Mike Fisher, or Mike Fisher’s wife?

4. When will TSN realize that the Gomez line is not our first line: 2011 or never?

5. Who would win in a dust-up between HIO posters: Timo or Bugs?

SD

——-

122. Habnofear says:

I just can’t stop crying about my Habs!..”.snort….wheeze…tear…snot…sneeze…pout wrinkle 19 years of graying”

123. Bryan says:

5.  Pleks/AK/Cammy haven’t been doing much lately.  Two 2nd lines?

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

124. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Murray, sooner or later the GM should have to answer the bell there.

2. Price by KO.

3. Who cares?

4. As long as they’re producing more offence than Plek’s line, it is kind of the 1st line.

5. Bugs would play the fight like the Joker, talk endlessly and distract Timo, dog him into frustration and defeat.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

125. joeybarrie says:

Could we have had a worse night???????

Two teams we really wanted to lose BEAT the top teams in each division…

FRICK

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

126. mike g says:

Yea, Carolina couldve won too. Instead, the Sabres beat them n now theyre inching closer to the playoffs too…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

127. dre1744 says:

Why is it when any other team in the NHL wins 4 games in a row  they are called streak’n     Like the Streak’n habs roll to there 4th win.     But when the Leafs win 4 in a row  the become the RED HOT LEAFS!!!!!!!!!!!   I don’t get it……  is it because there 4 game win streaks happan  once every 866 years!!!!!!!!!

128. habs365 says:

If the Habs had the scoring..they’d be in 1st place..that’s what’s holding them back

129. keepthefaith says:

Question 5 should have been, Who would you rather get beat up by HIO posters. Timo or Bugs?

130. mike g says:

And if my aunt had ballz she’d be my uncle…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

131. jennifer1984 says:

oh-FEE-uh-kuss… thats how its pronounced.

now i hear that it only applies to ppl born after 2009. i dont know!!! this is blowing my mind.

at least i dont have a zodiac tattoo!!!

132. habs365 says:

And if she had no ballz like you..she’d have two belly buttons

I will be shocked if Price doesn’t start against the Rangers in what will be a semi four point game.  Auld can play Calgary and then Price goes against Buffalo.  The Kipper is in a slump so Auld stands a better chance in that game.  Price will then go head to head with Miller who is about the only star that Buffalo has right now.

BTW, Tanguay is 10/22/32 right now which puts him just 2 points behind Pleks.

Boston and the Rangers win, while Carolina loses.  Wolski scored the only goal of the game as New York defeated Vancouver.  Boston had a barn burner as they outscored Philly 7-5.

Boston and New York both have 55 points while we are at 51.

135. observer says:

watch the leafs at coyotes now. wild game brawl just near end of 2nd period. coyotes  1 leafs 0 – leafs may have a better goalie than the habs now. j. reimer 22 years old 4-1 record under 2 gaa. watch the 3rd period brown of leafs got away with elbow to jovanoski’s jaw – 3rd period will be crazy.

136. HNS says:

Auld knows the Rangers. An obvious choice. It’s getting scary with Carey too.

137. shootdapuck says:

And contributing more and more to the equalization fund for the dog teams of the NHL.

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

138. observer says:

does that mean your other uncle would be gay?

139. observer says:

because if and when the leafs win 4 in a row it is a miraculous event

140. HNS says:

Put down the Clearasil and google George Bush, immediately…..

141. REB says:

If I remember correctly, just before R2KIN crushed Tanguay into the boards, Tanguay was a pt per game player, which outs him ahead of every Hab this year.

142. observer says:

question 2: 22 year old goalie reimer of the leafs

143. observer says:

as i said – the economy got worse under obama and he paid for it bigtime in the last election to prove it.

144. habs001 says:

with that thinking after 5 games the leafs may have one of the best goalies in the world..

145. drivefor25 says:

How come I’m not shocked you’re a Republican supporter? Your political acumen is as impressive as your hockey knowledge.

Fan since ’71

146. HNS says:

This really blows. Once a Dynasty, now a just a team of mediocrity. Suck city………

147. zak says:

Lousy GM’s, lousy drafting, lousy trades, lousy coaches.

148. HabsPEI31 says:

1. Clouston. Harder to replace a GM, unless you have one groomed and waiting.

2. Price. Hands down.

3. Mike Fisher’s wife. Way-y-y-y sexier. Hands down.

4. Never. TSN is Toronto-centric = clueless of the rest of the hockey world.

5. In word usage or fisticuffs?

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

149. RJB says:

Sorry Tony, the Reimer bubble has burst

– Bilbo Baggins

150. habs001 says:

hey i was just going to post that…but dont worry i am sure tony is drowning his sorrows away just about now

151. shootdapuck says:

Care to revise that?

Weak up high, a little quick to the knees won’t take the league long to figure him out!

Phoenix has pumped three by him high side glove in the third!

Now 4-1!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

152. Da Hema says:

Leafs may have a better goalie than the Habs? Very amusing. And Fabian Brunnstrom will lead the Stanley Cup parade down Yonge Street too!

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

153. kempie says:

“leafs may have a better goalie than the habs now”

Funny, funny stuff. Reimer for the Vezina! Funny stuff.

154. gmd says:

1. Murray

2. Price would lay Fleury out in under 6 seconds.

3. Wife.

4. Never

5. Timo

155. HFX-HabFan says:

1- They’ll be simultaneously booted in mid-April after the Sens miss the dance.

2- Price.

3- Fisher.

4- Bob McKenzie is probably the only analyst with a clue.

5- Bugs tries too hard, but essentially he’s harmless.  Ask Jonathan how good he is at showing up to back up his talk ;)  Timo releases his pent-up rage on HIO by times, but maybe he would do the same in the alley?

156. observer says:

yup wheels came off in the 3rd. they did outplay phoenix for the first 2 periods but couldnt put anything past phoenixs great goalie. leafs looked good. especially grabovski even the coyotes announcers said everytime hes on the ice they get a great scoring chance. anyway 5 wins in a row for toronto is pretty tough – they have to be happy with 4 and twice this year. the way they played in the first 2 periods only a habs best effort will beat them in the later meetings. and that kid reimer sure did look good for those 2 periods and probably te last 5 games. maybe leafs will be trading one of those goalies soon. burke is the smartest gm in the league?

157. observer says:

1- i am a libertarian – i dont like either party. 2- the reason the democrats lost the nov mid-terms was not because republicans who voted for them, this time changed their vote. no, it was because, democrats in the middle thought obama moved too far to the left and democrats on the left thought he moved to far to the middle and both those groups thought he accomplished little AND neither voted, like those on the far left or voted republican instead after voting for obama the last time. add to that the independent voters who last time voted for obama, they switched in big numbers in response to what obama accomplished in 2 years – the same ol , same ol as before. he couldnt even get his healthcare bill which canadians know is a joke compared to canada, that bill is still being stalled. and for the first 2 years obama had the presidency, majority in both senate and house and couldnt do anything.

158. observer says:

one empty net goal – two power play goals

159. observer says:

Leafs last won the National Hockey League championship in 1967. When did the Minnesota Vikings win their last National Football League championship?

160. habs001 says:

4-1 oilers in san jose 3rd…something will be happening with the sharks…hopefully we are ready because they will probably be trading with an eastern conference team…

161. habs001 says:

most of the teams ahead of us now have scored 20-30 more goals…

162. habs001 says:

we had trouble scoring all last year …metro,sk74,mab, and moore scored over 35 goals last year and they were replaced by halpern,eller,pk and boyd..at best these players were only going to match those totals…this should be an indication that the plan by the current managment is to mold an air tight defensive team that wins most nights 2-1 and 3-2….

163. habs001 says:

25th in goals scored with the wild and oilers one goal back and games in hand…if our lack of goals continue at the rate we are producing them only new jersey will score fewer goals this year…

164. jordo says:

But when revenues are collected in CAD and salaries are paid in USD, speculations against the American economy make for a Canadien windfall

165. Everlasting1 says:

The Blues finally stop the bleeding. Alex Steen pots his 15th. I didn’t like the team’s effort level in the 3rd period sitting on the lead, forcing Halak to gut it out like that. Inexcusable after a 5 game losing streak.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

166. Bill says:

1. It will end in a Tarantino-style Mexican standoff in Melnyk’s office. At the last minute both will turn their guns on Melnyk, riddle him with bullets, and blow smoke from their barrels. Then Clouston will appoint himself GM and Coach, while Murray will name himself King of the World.

2. I foresee an endless pose-down with no resolution. Kidding, Price wins this one easy! I like the guy who answered “Reimer” though.

3. Have where? Because it really depends.

4. Around about the time they realize that a Leafs loss shouldn’t be the lead story on Superbowl Sunday. Which is to say, never.

5. Again, it will end in a Tarantino-style Mexican standoff or an endless pose-down. More likely both.

Full Breezer 4 Life

167. HabFanSince72 says:

Who cares?

168. HabFanSince72 says:

1. Who cares, it’s the Sens.

2. What are the rules of this tussle?

3. I don’t know who Mike FIsher’s wife is.

4. Who cares, it’s TSN.

5. Bugs, hands down. (I assume you meant an intellectual dust-up)

169. Aybara says:

http://www.stlouisgametime.com/  I think that’s where you meant to post this…

FYI it was easy to find. All you have to do next time is type “st louis blues blog” into google and it’s the first link.

170. Rainrocket16 says:

There werent 30 some teams who are all on Cap restrictions back then, nobody is gonna put up numbers like we used to back then, not even the precious Red Wings. New Era, sucks but oh well!

171. Everlasting1 says:

I’d rather comment on ex-Habs and other happenings around the league than delve into unsubstantiated trade rumor gossip like Cammy and bellyaching after a loss.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

172. Everlasting1 says:

That site no longer exists, gimme another..I’m not very good at this computer stuff.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

173. OneTimer says:

why are you posting this on HI/O? I’m sure all kinds of interesting things happen around the league, but this isn’t really the place for it

174. A. Berke says:

and pray tell why should we care about this?

You must be lost or something but that’s not a reason to pollute the cyber space (Habs’ cyber space that is)

Ali B.

175. A. Berke says:

Yeah right and his save percentage was .800 against the coyotes. What an insightful  statement!

May I suggest you move to a leaf’s blog where you may feel more at home?

Ali B.

176. Da Hema says:

Try http://www.idiot.com

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

177. shootdapuck says:

You’re kidding!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

178. G-Man says:

A little revisionist history?

179. Everlasting1 says:

The truth is I can’t register an account on the Blues blogs..they don’t accept canadian addresses – which is ridiculous. Guess I’m stuck here lol

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

180. HabsPEI31 says:

3. Carrie Underwood. Although she’s more of a country star – and I don’t like country music – she’s still a hotty.

Worth an image search on google. Ditto “habs babe”.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

181. The Cat says:

Why should we all spit on players we loved that no longer play here? To make a purpose to go from this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQCa-qcchWk to flat out not caring seems a bit childish.

182. Top Corner says:

Here’s one !!

Halak best dominate or be out !!! My hometown kid is gunning…gunning hard !

183. adam76 says:

As long as its hockey related – I say post away.

184. Everlasting1 says:

Apparently I’ve been polluting this site since last year’s Price/Halak debate debacle and have faced a lot more opposition than this back then! There’s no love lost here lol

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

185. Everlasting1 says:

Thanx Cat.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

186. Everlasting1 says:

The kid has great numbers. The team’s future looks bright.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

187. J Haul says:

Who said to spit on anyone? This is a habs site, for habs discussion. This shouldn’t be a tough concept to grasp. Discussing a St. Louis game has nothing to do with the Habs and even less to do with the story it’s posted under.

D’agostini no longer plays for the Canadiens. It’s time for people to get over it.

188. Storm Man says:

I could whip both at the sametime :).

“I have never failed at anything in my life so far… TripleX 12/23/2010 16:34pm”

189. kempie says:

Wow, that’s bold.

190. habs365 says:

Everyone has an opinion..and I could be a 100% wrong..something tells me not.

191. mike g says:

Love Pleks…

And I really hope the A he had on his jersey last night stays there for the year, and as long as he’s a Hab.

His work ethic is something to follow. He’s led by example for 3 years now, being one of our, if not best forward during that time. Now that he’s established himself in this league, players on our team can look up to him and copy his progression.

Keeping this guy for 6 years at 5 mill was a steal.

And how nobody in the league, not even those loudmouth geniouses at TSN like McGuire, has mentionned that he was the best UFA signing last summer just goes to show how they view our team.

Kovy’s been a bust. Marleau at 7 mill?, no thanks. Niemi, let’s not go there. Olli Jokinen, yeah right. Gonchar, Zidlicky and Volchenkov are all grossly overpaid. Frolov’s been a bust. Turco’s now a backup, etc….

The only UFA’s who have lived up to, or surpassed expectations have been Pleks, Rene Bourque and Recchi.

And when you look at the importance and value of responsabilities and roles of those 3 players, Pleks has the largest one. PP, PK, 5 on 5, 4 on 4, you name it, Pleks plays it.

And he plays it best out of our whole team; at under 6 feet.

I will clap and smile when one of those “hockey analysts” finally admitt that the Habs came out winners and signed the best UFA of the summer.

Until then, thumbs up to Pleks. What a player….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

192. Displaced says:

Vancouver gets some props for signing Ryan Kesler.

Who’s leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

193. adam76 says:

the wifes opinion matters?  when did this happen?

194. keepthefaith says:

AsK Chris Pronger

195. j2w4habs25 says:

lol good1 – Pronger will tell you.

Carey Price #31

196. Bugs says:

Correction: their rental car.

Just as well. Went to her native city once and someone didn’t hold the door open for me entering a Krispy Kreme. That’s why I hate it there. Never going back.

Polygonically contained, I square off as

197. RJB says:

Really? I hope you were kidding….still in poor taste

– Bilbo Baggins

198. Dave Stubbs says:

If only Montreal knew it was this easy to keep Carrie Underwood out of our city.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

199. HNS says:

that’s one big and ugly wife….

200. adam76 says:

SO I take it your wife would not allow you laugh at such thingsÉ

It was a joke, lighten up.

201. patience is a virtue says:

Mheh to all the moaners and groaners this
    morning.  I expect the dooms day crew to be out in full force.  Mheh to
    you.  Eat my rant:

We played solid, dare I say exciting!, back and
    forth hockey for two periods.  Could have gone either way.  Anyone who
    says we were outplayed through two just wasn’t paying much attention.
    We broke down at the end of the second, and were broken in the third by a
    tough opponent on a losing streak, hungry for revenge on Price and his
    posse/pose.  lol

Sure, it hurts to be missing Cam (no point
    talking about missing Markov and Gorges because we have to accept the
    new normal until next season); to parade to the box; to be playing two
    hard games in a row after a late flight out of snow bound NY.  Forget
    the excuses.

We lost.  But we hope to win on Sat, and the rest of
    the month sees a string of winable games (Flames, Sabres, Sens, Ducks)
    before the pre-All Star Break Exam vs. the Flyers.  We have succeeded
    admirably through one of the most competative consecutive set of games
    the team will face this season (Jan 2-15, the next one comes Mar 5-18).
    And that’s pretty impressive on the heels of a terrible slump and the
    loss of Gorges.  7 points out of 10, since coming out of that slump,
    against strong opponents.  One more big four pointer to go, vs. the
    Rangers!

Boone’s ALN summed up his take on the Hab’s horse-short
    defensive system built around goal tending.  Mathman statistically
    disagreed, stating that unlike last season we are not so goalie
    dependent this year, just unlucky.  His evidence: we are out-possessing
    and outshooting most opponents on most nights, and the goals will come.

I
    think the truth is somewhere in the middle.  Yes, JM has implemented a
    defensive system which plays to the teams strengths and weaknesses.
    And, as habs001 points out here on a daily basis, these horse-short
    forwards are scoring just a little below their respective season
    averages.  We are not suddenly going to break out and become an
    offensive juggernaut.  But I do expect to see more production from here
    on in as our experienced vets gear up for the playoffs and the PP
    continues to improve thanks to The Wiz (awesome move PG).  I expect more
    goals to come, not only from Pleks, Cam, Gio, Gomez, and AK but also
    from young guns like Poo, Patches, PK, and Weber (DD, Eller?).

And
    that is probably the most important thing to recognize here.  With 5-7
    promising players (Carey, PK, Poo, Patches, Eller, Weber?, DD?) ages
    20-24, The Habs are becoming a young team with good balance, excellent
    speed, and even, dare I say, offensive punch up front and in the rear.

Anyone
    looking for a perfect team that destroys half its opponents and beats
    most of the rest should look for a professional sport without a salary
    cap system.

I am optimistic for this season’s Habs, and more so
    for the next few seasons to come.

Poor darlings. Being a professional hockey play is such a chore. I say one day off is not enough… take tomorrow off too. Combine with last nght that will be 3 days off, enough to rejuvinate even 35 year olds.

203. Tobiass says:

We win a game and you are nowhere to be found. We lose and spew the same lame crap you always do. It’s getting old Timo. I would hate to have your outlook on the game and team. Lame man, really lame.

204. mike g says:

Did anyone else laugh at Crosby and his agent, Pat Brisson this week?…

They went public and stated that the NHL MUST do something about headshots, and implement a severe penalty, blah blah blah.

Ok, well…

#1- Shut your mouth and play hockey Sid, because if you look around in your locker room, you got the King of headshots sitting right next to you. And it’s funny how the drama and apparent needs for a severe headshot rule, in your opinion, is needed NOW, when you get hurt. It wasn’t needed when Matt Cooke smoked Savard into the year 2034? It doesn’t hurt you that Savard, one year later, struggled to get back into the game, and doesn’t even look like a shadow of the 90pt player he was? No, of course not. Only when Sidney, the NHL’s good’ol Sid the kid gets hit is there an urgent need.

#2- It wasn’t even a headshot. Everyone knows it, and everyone is saying it. If the Caps player wanted to totally destroy Sid, he would have. Both players bumped into eachother, and you can even see the Caps player trying to avoid Sid. Was there contact, yes. Did the Caps player maybe lean into Crosby just to try and nudge him, maybe he did. But there was never an intent to hit the head, because like I said if there was Crosby woulda gotten knocked up. It was an accident, Sid. Live with it.

I really hope the league drops this, and doesn’t create another borderline rule just because Crosby demands it. You never want your best players to be injured, but sometimes accidents happen. That’s life.

Hope he recovers quickly and gets back to the form we all know he can be in. He’s nice to watch play. But please stop with the crying attitude.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

205. avatar_58 says:

I argue it *was* done on purpose, he simply looked the other way. However I agree fully – shut the hell up Crosby, you cannot say a damn thing so long as you defend Cooke for this same issue. It would be like Kaberle complaining about hockey fights with Colton Orr sitting on the bench next to him.

206. G-Man says:

Mike Richards is the King of Head shots (especially delivered on the blind side); Matt Cook is a lowly prince.

207. mike g says:

Yup..

But like I said, maybe the contact was done on purpose. However, I still don’t think the head was the target. Crosby was getting up from a fall, and was turning. The Caps player would’ve had to time that perfectly, and even then, he could’ve destroyed him and REALLY put his shoulder to Sid’s head.

So, maybe it was intentional, or maybe not. The way I see it is the Caps player probably wanted to give Crosby a little bump, just to make him fall again and maybe pis* him off/get him off his game.

But to say he targeted the head, well I can’t.

Happy we agree that he should shut his mouth, though.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

Hell, I hope it was done on purpose. Should Crosby be exempt from being hit now?

209. RGM says:

I have not seen Crosby anywhere defend the Cooke hit on Savard. If you have evidence of such a thing, please post it.

210. RGM says:

Only due to the absence of the instigator rule. If that were in place, the Gary Suter hit probably would have occurred five years earlier.

211. avatar_58 says:

After the whistle when he’s not looking? I can’t find any way to pat the guy on the back. A clean hit during play? Go for it!

212. HFX-HabFan says:

This summer: AK46 to NYR for Ryan Callahan and a pick?

Callahan is, like Kostitsyn, an RFA this summer.  He’s a RH shot, can play both wings, is capable at both ends of the ice, and isn’t afraid to play big despite somewhat smaller size.  He probably only has an upside of 20-30 goals/50-60 points, but he would play a far more consistent game and would fit nicely in our top six.

I’m not sure the Rangers would want to part ways with him, but he’s out with a broken hand right now and they seem to be doing fine without him.  Montreal would probably pick up about a million in cap savings even with a new contract on the table for Callahan, which they could allot towards re-signing the UFA D-men, and maybe adding another second or third line winger on the FA market.

Thoughts?

213. mike g says:

Hahaha, thats jusy crazy. Callahan is such a solid player, hes going nowhere. And that trade is just way, way too much for AK

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

214. mjames says:

Give him one of our smurfs. I hear Sather wants to get rid of Gaborik now. If that is the case Gainey must be interested. Then offer Gomez and Spacek for Callahan and Gaborik. I would keep AK46 because AK’s bad year is Callahan’s good year. The only difference between Callahan 20 goals and AK’s 20 goals is that Callahan shows a lot more energy. The end result is the same except you have the upside from AK if Martin ever lets him play.

mjames

Any intentional head shot, on anybody, should be 12 games first offence, second offence, 25 games, third offence, one full season.

This has to be eliminated from the game.

216. shiram says:

Yes alot of them are millionaires, and they have alot done for them. But if they do have the cold, they do need to rest up and be in shape for the next game, and luckly the can still practice tomorow or saturday morning.

217. Propwash says:

Yeah, Martin should bagskate the ballbag off of them.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

218. mike g says:

Very true.. Sorry forgot about that one.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

219. shiram says:

Josh Gorges says you are wrong.

220. Propwash says:

The truth, meaning cherrypicking anything and everything that goes wrong with the team, and ignoring any positives? That kind of truth?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

221. Tobiass says:

Exactly, he’ll never post after a win, he’s incapable of giving any credit when its due. After a loss, he’s all over it. He’s a classic troll, looking for attention and making negative comments because it gets him attention and make him feel better about himself. pretty obvious.

I post after a win or a loss. Perhaps you should pay more attention to my persona.

that is not true. Sometimes I do make a positive comment. But seeing how there is a lot more wrong with this team than right yeah… I tell that kind of truth. There are enough high on koolaid poster here to do what I do only on a positive side. It’s called counterbalance :)

224. HFX-HabFan says:

Kostitsyn, maddeningly inconsistent or not, has higher offensive upside than Callahan.  Their numbers are similar, though I hold that Callahan is a better all-around player.

At the beginning of the season I would say NYR would never make the deal either; Callahan wears an A when he’s in the lineup, and he’s great on their second line.  But the team seems to be humming along well without for the last month or so, and if the Blueshirts bow out early in the playoffs and a lack of offense is the main culprit, you can bet that Glen Sather will be looking to remedy that any way he can.  Someone out there will be intrigued by AK’s “potential”; he has had some success against the Rangers in the past so they might be one of the few teams in the East who could bite.

225. mike g says:

They got Wolski to adress it. Another underperforming player, but one whos had more sucvess than AK in this league. He at least looked real good in the playoffs last year. And i highly doubt AK has any trade value. Hes been a lazy/ inconsistent player for 3 years now, and costs over 3 mill. I think teams would much rather trade for Matt Moulson, for example. Cheaper, more effort and more production.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

226. Trenton_Romulox says:

I’m normally not in favour of a team taking a day off after a loss, but the Habs really need the break. I’m pretty sure rest will do them more good than any drills would right now. They just looked mentally and physically slow in the second half of last night’s game. Just gotta relax, get rested up, and come out with a vengeance next game. Go Habs!