Habs sweater ranked No. 1 in North American sports by ESPN.com

sweaterweb

ESPN.com recently decided to rank every NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL team based on their uniform designs as part of its Uni Watch Power Rankings.
There are 122 teams in total … and guess what?
The Canadiens’ bleu-blanc-rouge came in at No. 1.
Go, Habs Go!

Unfortunately for Habs fans, the team hasn’t been No. 1 on the ice for a long time, with their last Stanley Cup win in 1993.

Wrote ESPN. com: “Most of our top-ranking teams probably won’t surprise you. But there’s at least one team in the top 10 that likely will raise a few eyebrows.”

As for the Habs uniform, ESPN wrote: “Proud standard-bearers for a league, a sport, a nation and now for the uni-verse as well, the Habs have it all: an iconic logo, two distinct but equally classic uni designs (it’s odd that the wraparound chest stripe only appears on the home jersey, but the road design works fine without it), and an ideal balance of red, white and blue. This isn’t just a perfect hockey uniform set – it’s a perfect uniform set, period. Unlike the old-school classics in the other sports (Yankees, Celtics, Raiders), it has some major visual pizzazz. Puts the biscuit in the basket, and then some.”

Following the Canadiens in the top five were the Chicago Bears, St. Louis Cardinals, Chicago Cubs and Boston Bruins. You can see the complete list by clicking here.

Meanwhile, a London fashion critic recently ripped the Habs’ bleu-blanc-rouge jersey after Nicola Roberts of the English-Irish pop group Girls Aloud wore a Habs sweater (and little else) at an event to launch her new TV show Styled To Rock.

“The singer stepped out to the special bash at London’s trendy Soho Hotel wearing what appeared to be just an oversized baggy sports top for ice hockey team the Montreal Canadiens in place of a dress,” the London Daily Mail wrote.

The paper added: “She is known for her kooky style, pushing boundaries with her choices. But it seemed a step too far tonight for the pop star as she tried a bit hard to be different.

“Nicola matched the garish red top with white heels and gold jewellery, while she wore her hair down and wavy.”

A “garish red top”!

That won’t sit well with Habs fans or Roch Carrier, who wrote the classic book The Hockey Sweater.

Read more and see photos of Roberts in her Habs jersey (and country-music star Shania Twain in hers) by clicking here.

(Photo by Peter McCabe/The Gazette)

1. J.J. of Turku says:

I think all the baseball players in their uniforms look like storage workers.

2. Habitant in Surrey says:

@BriPro

…Brian, I voted Conservative (and for Harper) for the first time in My life in the last election, and I do not presently have much reason to regret it, mostly because the Federal Liberals and NDP parties had become so shallow
    …but, Harper stupidly going back to the past and re-naming, AGAIN, our military the Royal this n that was incredibly obtuse …handing much needed traction to the nationalists in Quebec that I think had mostly put-aside the pursuit of separation and independence
    …if Marois is Your Premier tomorrow, put it all on Harper
    …damn, I wish Quebec would grow-up

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• ed lopaz says:

with all due respect, there is no correlation between Harper renaming the military “Royal” and the current Provincial race in Quebec.

it appears as though Quebec has grown tired of the Liberals and they are ready for a change.

• frontenac1 says:

Jeeze polliticians! As my Irish Granddad told me when I was a young lad(.May he rest in peace) “Hold on to your Wallet son,They are all.Liars and Thieves”

• Bripro says:

Chris, I did not vote for Harper, given his lack of enthusiasm for all that is the environment. And I won’t be voting for him next time either. It doesn’t mean that I was happy with my last vote.
      And the same can be said for this coming election. With that…

Ed, I beg to differ on your statement that “there is no indication whatsoever that this Quebec election is about separation, sovereignty or anything of the sort.”
      If you’ve listened to Marois, that’s the only drum she’s banging. And we now have 3 nationalist parties in the pathetic province.
      There is no question that we’re growing tired of Charest. Especially when you consider that he claims to not ignore or take the Anglophone population for granted in one breath, then announces in the next that they’re hiring more OLF inspectors to make sure that my company’s logo is predominantly french.
      I’m fluent in both languages, but it still p!**es me off!
      We live in a province with creeping infringements of human rights.
      I don’t know who I’m going to vote for this time, but I know I’ll feel that same as I did in the last federal election….underwhelmed.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…’creeping’ You say ??? …cripes the ‘human infringements’ thang was ‘galloping’ when I left Quebec 15+ years ago (for the final time) …the ‘human infringements’ of the PQ have You already by the nutz if You haven’t fully realized it yet :)

…will welcome You and Your Kin with open arms out here on the Wrong Coast Bri
        …so nice to wake-up in the mornin’ without the Maroises of this World wiltin’ Your Cornflakes :)

_________________________________________________________
        Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

• habstrinifan says:

Totally agree with your point of view re Harper re-attaching ROYAL to the military. This was absolutely pointless.

I also find it very sad that Jean Charest has to resort to promises to press Harper for French language monitoring/augmentation, however way he phrased it, in order to appear as the French Champion.

Charest also is trying to ‘win’ the election with the red herring issue of French in Federal offices located in Quebec. I dont live in Montreal/Quebec and dont spend time, other than the immediate National Capital regions, but I would venture to guess that there is not ONE Federal office/agency in Quebec where French is under-represented.

3. Bripro says:

Kudos to all of you this afternoon.
    I came on feeling a little blue.
    Business sucks, and there’s no sports to speak of.
    When CTV’s Randy Tieman, whom I really respect, reports on teen sailing as his second story, you know that we’re in the sports world’s dire straights.
    But I started reading the back and forth quirks and jabs, and you guys have me on the floor.
    I know I haven’t had a drink yet, but thanks. My mood is lighter already.
    Now someone tell me that they know for a fact that hockey is right around the corner. But WARNING: you need to back it up with proof!

• HabFab says:

The CHL are into exhibition games as are the KHL and European Elite Leagues….NO! sorry….

• frontenac1 says:

Bripro. Trust me on this Amigo…Ran my own business for the past 33yrs in a high pressure industry. In the process of selling it now. Had many ups and downs.Tomorrow is another day and it will be better, enjoy the moment! Los Habs Para Siempre!

• habstrinifan says:

Hope you are selling ‘high’. If you are lucky as I got in 99-2000 then it would have been all worth it. Was just plain luck that re the timing and the opportunity. .

4. HabFab says:

NHL players at the Biosteel camp talking about the CBA, nothing new here except Cammy and PK do most of the talking;

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Cammy & PK doing most of the talkin’ does not sound like an ‘exception’ to Me Frank

…for the foreseeable future I will be annoyingly and shamelessly crusading for Our Montreal Canadiens to retire Toe Blake’s number 6 …and add His banner in the rafters next to Our other former Greats
      …now some of You may believe Toe was only a Great Coach, and as a Player, did not quite rate such an honor …and/or do not want yet another low-number unavailable to contemporary Players
      …maybe forgetting Toe Blake won an NHL scoring championship, the Hart Trophy and a Lady Byng, and led Our Habs in scoring in 6 seasons of His Hall Of Fame playing career …He was an essential component with The Rocket and Elmer Lach on the ‘The Punch Line’ which was the most feared scoring line of it’s day
      …most remember Toe Blake as the genius Coach of the Montreal Canadiens at the cusp of Our Golden Era …the Golden Era that most of Us were inspired by to follow Our Habs as if it was ‘a religion’ unto It’s own
      …Toe Blake’s name is on 11 rings of the Stanley Cup; 8 as Our Coach, 2 as a Player for the Montreal Canadiens and one as a Montreal Maroon
      …Toe Blake was the ‘heart and soul’ Whom inspired and ‘showed the way’ to Our great Players of the time, both as a Player and as Our Coach
      …His Legacy is greatly taken for granted, I strongly believe, by the fact Toe Blake’s number 6 is not represented yet in the rafters of the Bell Centre
      …the totality of Toe Blake’s legacy, as a Player and Our Coach, to the History and exceptional success of the Montreal Canadiens as the most famous brand in the hockey world is way past the overdue stage
      …I wish to request all Montreal Canadiens Fans to join with Ian Cobb and I to right a wrong
      …I suggested to Ian to theme this year’s Summit on Toe Blake …to incorporate some homage to Toe …maybe even make a request to Hurley’s Tavern to try to replicate the ambiance of the famed former Toe Blake’s Tavern
      …I will leave that to Ian, of what is doable in that regard …knowing Ian, He is more than capable (EDIT: …because of uncertainty of whether there will be an NHL lockout/strike, this likely will not happen)
      …meanwhile, some clear input must be made by Habs Fans that agree with the objective, to let Their feelings and opinions be known to Geoff Molson and Montreal Canadiens Management
      …that means You !!! Boys and Girls
      …if this is something You would like to make right as I and Ian do, I provide the following mail contacts to send Your requests to ‘Retire Number 6 !!!’
      …if anyOne out there have other suggestions please let Ian and I know …they will be considered and appreciated

The following are the most relevant to send your testomonial to Retire Number 6 !!!:
      Geoff Molson: President and Owner (Twitter; @gmolsonchc)
      Kevin Gilmore: VP Operations

Send your testimonial to:

[Name of person]
      c/o The Montreal Canadiens
      1909, avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal
      Montreal, QC, CANADA
      H3C 5L2

_________________________________________________________
      Michel F.Therrien ???: HIS’ new Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey/The Smiths ‘Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfkvPnjb9hs

HIS’ alternative HIO Official Them Song: ‘MTL Stand-up !': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK0l0XEW3Dw
      _________________________________________________________
      HIO’s BC Odd Couple: UCe, the supercilious stickler; and HIS, the stubbornly relentless ‘schismatist’ :)
      _________________________________________________________
      What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
      _________________________________________________________
      Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

Now we all know what punskter does when he isn’t playing golf. Driving around in the east end getting “propositions”.

6. Bripro says:

According to RDS’s Renaud Lavoie, Don Fehr has stated that they’ve received the offer, as Shiram pointed out. They’re to work on it tonight and tomorrow morning.
    Mathieu Darche says that the owners’ offer is “not surprising”.
    Butthead claims that their offer was significant, and that they’re not that far apart on revenue sharing.
    Well, that’s a positive….

7. AliHaba says:

I guess they’re going to sleep on it.

8. habsfan0 says:

People are getting extremely antsy as the “zero hour” quickly approaches. Each side is presenting its case,sometimes stretching the truth somewhat in an effort to gain additional leverage and bargaining power. As the days dwindle to a precious few,it won’t be uncommon to hear unflattering,sometimes downright rude comments being hurled by both protagonists and antagonists alike, sometimes employing the use of language so utterly foul,that even the hardiest of us would blush. We, as somewhat innocent bystanders, can only imagine what that fateful day in September will bring, and how our world will change as a result.

Yes, the Quebec election is getting exciting!

9. shiram says:

According to RDS, Fehr and the players received some new propositions from the owners.

10. AliHaba says:

Well the NHL and the NHLPA are back meeting at this hour. A good sign I hope.

On a somewhat unrelated note…anyone find it coincidental that the Habs unsigned FA’s (Darche and Campoli) are both front and center in the discussions?

11. Un Canadien errant says:

Again, a nice job by Ellen Etchingham on the issue of fans and the media taking sides in this dispute. Very cool and rational, she tries to be even-handed, but I like this paragraph:

The reasons that people support the players this time around are many and varied, but they’re not bad. Some people support the players because of a philosophical belief that players have a more legitimate claim to that extra 14% of revenues than the owners do. That may not be the way the world works, but it is certainly a valid ethical position to hold with a very reasonable argument behind it. Some support the players because they have concerns about the NHL business model and its policies surrounding expansion and revenue sharing, and believe that the players’ proposal does more to address the financial concerns they have about the future of the League. They may not get what they want, but there are very practical, pragmatic reasons for wanting it. And probably many, many fans support the players because the players have not threatened to end hockey, while the owners have. That, my friends, is not ‘falling for PR’, that’s rational self-interest. That’s taking the side who, as far as things have gone to date, seems to want what you want.

———————————————————————–
    This isn’t “Billionaires vs. Millionaires.” Only a willfully uninformed fool would apply that sloppy shorthand designation to this disgraceful power grab crafted by some of the wealthiest individuals and corporate entities in North America aimed against professional athletes.–Larry Brooks of the New York Post

• Bripro says:

“it is essential that we continue to advocate for the principles we believe in, the ethics we share, and our interests in hockey. It may be a long time before we see those principles, …….. But if we fatalistically resign ourselves to the idea that business is business and nothing will ever change, it will definitely never happen.”

And just how does she suggest we do that? Our careers don’t necessarily evolve around the media medium, where our voices can be heard by both sides. Therefore, it makes it difficult for us, as fans of the game, to be heard.

Given how long this process is taking and the fact that they’re all “hard at work”…what 1-2 days/week, and that Sept 15th is fast approaching, how can we not be frustrated?

Lately, I’ve drawn a correlation between the game we love, and politics.
      More specifically, the people involved in both.
      On the hockey side, they’re nit-picking with absolutely no regard for those who pay for the game, we the fans.
      On the political side, I listen to the candidates, of which one will be the next so-called leader of our province, and I’ve surmised that they don’t listen to the tax-payer residents and our concerns over important issues….life-altering issues, such as health care.

And as a victim of both fronts, I feel very small. I realize that with over 7 billion people on the planet, it’s virtually impossible to stand out or be recognized, but even as we express our concerns united, we are still not heard.

And as long as the devil plunks down a few glory-crazed freekazoids like Marois and Butthead, we’re pretty much screwed.

• Cal says:

Don’t feel small for not being able to affect how lawyers behave. Both sides are in the wrong, treating fans like idiots this way. Beavis and Butthead will get a deal done, just in time for what, the Winter Classic? Eff ‘em both, the greedy bastids!
        Marois will not be elected premier, but, then again, Harper (the man of 38% of the votes) is somehow prime minister with a “majority” government. Can you smell the revolution in Canada coming, with the final straw being an NHL lockout? ;)

• Bripro says:

So that means we should take to the streets in our gear and wielding a mean hockey stick….
          I just get so frustrated ….. and the rest of Canada (mostly anyhow) don’t give a damn what happens here. And who can blame them.
          Our so-called leaders come off as whiners, which they are (I guess I should look in the mirror today), and now Charest, the most federalist of them all, is saying that he will call on Harper to push the french agenda in the rest of Canada. Is he kidding? And I have to vote for this idiot!!!
          No hockey, bad politics, oye. I wish I was a ground hog!

• boing007 says:

If they talk like these two we’ll never get anywhere.

Richard R
          Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• bwoar says:

My reply, shortened & reposted from the last thread (the last post before this one started):

Don Fehr, making lockouts with no pay a real blast:

“A lot of different guys are showing up to meetings and it’s great to be apart of it. It’s fun. It’s interesting. You’re going against some very powerful people that own multimillion-dollar companies and hockey teams.”
      — Scott Hartnell

What could be better, eh? We can’t play hockey, so let’s go up against the rich and band together to stick it to THE MAN! Who cares if we’re biting the hands [of the fans] that feed us and put our kids in good schools and set us up for life? It’s fun! It’s all about the team! [Until the knives come out after the escrow funds run out, then it's all about which of us is gonna get screwed, like it was last time.]

Fehr’s got, by far, the easiest position right now: trotting out charts, emails and mobile apps to help explain to a few hundred man-children how, if they only stick together, those nasty, powerful people who own hockey teams will continue to throw down $152 million to the top 1% of players, and how it helps everyone.

It would be a lot easier to have sympathy for the players if they weren’t making a show about just how darn terrific it is to be part of an ugly labour dispute. It’s squarely the PA’s fault that negotiations didn’t happen previous to the 11th hour, but we get an earful about how brilliant Donald Fehr’s communication skills are. It’s like watching a bunch of sailors totally oblivious to the rocks in their path, telling us how great the captain is and how the ship has never been better run.

When the bottom 10% of players get tossed overboard during the realpolitik of the negotiations, which of their awesome mates will rush to throw them a cash lifejacket? [EDIT: Now that it's a 2 vs, 2 negotiation, we're at that point methinks.] Or, will the beneficiaries go back to their $100 plate dinners, muttering about the texts they keep getting from the soon-to-be AHLers, and Swiss-leaguers they were having so much fun bonding with at the union meetings, thinking, “I never liked that jerk anyhow” ??

Will a single player speak up for the fans? Bettman has already patronized us horribly. It should be a slam-dunk to apologize for the whole mess, take the high road, excuse us and these idiot owners, dear fans, while we do some housekeeping for 2014. But instead we’re told just how wonderful things are. How interesting.

I’ll be catching a lot more MJHL games this year. Bringing my girls to a rink where kids play because of the love of the game and a dream of playing it for a living. I won’t be wearing a Habs jersey or any other NHL gear this year, even if things somehow get going in December. If the players, who grew up dreaming of playing hockey for a living, are more interested in playing a losing game of chicken than acting for the good of the sport, what kind of example is that for our children?

I mean, we know that rich tycoon types are always gonna be there to try and scrape as much capital up off our shoes as they can. Big business will ever do as it will. Crush the dreams and the dreamers, take their cuts and let the free market sort ‘em out. This will never, ever change no matter who occupies where for however long. But watching hockey, and pretending to BE that guy on the ice, putting that goal home or making that last minute save, we can always have that too – just as long as we ignore the gong show they make every few years about being entitled to their entitlements.

The reason we haven’t heard anything sincere from the players, addressing what a drag this is for the fans (and I mean the kids, hockey’s true heart), is because they simply don’t care. That’s a lesson we as fans should remember when they finally sort out their cuts of the bonanza. Neither side gives a lick for you and yours.

• habsnyc says:

As player salaries rise, so do ticket prices. If you side with the players, you want the fans to pay more for tickets. I would call it irrational self interest, unless you are a fan who does not buy tickets. If the NHL has a deficit, either they have to raise revenues (fans get hurt) or lower costs (players get hurt). There are other solutions like raising revenues and providing a better product in return or speading the costs over more fans. However, the product is a pale shadow of its former self and the incremental fans come from markets with teams that are not viable. In hockey, the incremental market is hugely incremental margin negative.

I want rational ticket prices and responsible on ice behaviour. I cannot root for either side. The rational fan should choose not to be a fan.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Un Canadien errant says:

That’s an erroneous premise. Ticket prices don’t rise and fall with salaries, despite Gary Bettman’s posturing. These were empty promises. Ticket prices are set by owners based on what the market will bear. So if the ticket prices rise because fans are willing to pay them, a significant portion of that increase deservedly should go to the players. They’re the draw. They’re the product.

———————————————————————–

12. savethepuck says:

A little Seinfeld reference:
    Another win for Milos!!

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Cal says:

That was painful to watch with all the mistakes. Let’s hope he is over his nerves and gets down to business. He shouldn’t run around every shot for a forehand a la Steffi Graff, but what a MONSTER SERVE he has!

• savethepuck says:

Still a positive that he can win when he plays so bad too. He can work on the unforced errors and definitely the double faults.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Cal says:

Agreed. Great to have a Canadian to cheer for at the Open this year. That 134mph serve right down the pipe really opened the receiver’s eyes, as in, “WTF was that?”
          He has all the tools to go far in the tourney, but needs a little luck, too. Will be fun to watch!

Aaron Ward of TSN Tweets:
    aaronward_nhl: According to players,there will be a conference call later today for all the members of the NHLPA,that will update the situation. #TSN

Perhaps both sides are actually talking/bargaining?

14. Habitant in Surrey says:

…20 cent beer ??? …$ 5 admission ???
    …and, exactly WHY ???, are We all not completing Our immigration papers to the Czech Republic at this moment ???
    …I mean, it’s NOT 20 cents for horse piss …it’s 20 cents for REAL beer !!!
    …where’s My passport ???

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: FREE PUSSY RIOT !!!

Okay, I have a number of points I want to hit, but I fear I may get long winded, will try copy the Artistry of Hab in Surrey and use point forms. (apologize in advance for crap plagiarism Christopher)
    …The players say that they aren’t really getting 57% of revenues as they claim NHL are not calculating all of their actual revenues from buildings per se as NHL revenue. So my question is this, do the players like Sidney Crosby then count the endorsement deals they get as a result of playing in the NHL as hockey revenues and if so, does this mean the players are actually getting 60% or more of NHL revenue?
    …Why would Geoff Molson or Rogers/Bell want a lockout this year? Molson’s purchase of the Habs is greatly financed and has interest to be paid on the purchase price, he gets his ass kicked if he loses out on NHL revenues this year. Bell/Rogers just purchased the Leafs, they are dying for the radio and tv content on their networks and all the ancillory coverage they get to do of the Leafs now that they are the proud owners of this redheaded stepchild in the NHL.
    ….Why don’t we hear about Gomez and his workout routine this summer?
    ….How is Timo doing in Russia, is it true he is actually there on behalf of the Habs looking to find a KHL team interested in having Scotty Gomez on their team?
    ….Matty sounds like you had a great time in Czech during lockout, .20cent beer? Sign me up and ship me over there I just became a fan of Czech hockey!

16. JF says:

RDS says talks lasted less than an hour, but should continue later in the day after both sides have consulted their members. This suggests that something new was presented – otherwise why consult anyone?

• commandant says:

Yesterday and this morning, there were rumors the NHL would be making a new proposal today. And from respected names like Dreger, not from anonymous guys who I won’t name.

What is in it? That will be key to knowing if any progress was made.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

17. Mattyleg says:

Strangely enough, last lockout was great for me.
    I was living in Poland, and I managed to drive down to Czech to watch some games.

Great fun, actually.
    The team was called Ocelari Trinec (that’s pronounced ‘Otsa-larry Tree-nyets’) and was about a 1.5hr drive from where I was living. Tickets were around $5 for red-line seats, a large (delicious Czech) beer was 20¢, and incredible barbequed sausages were 30¢ apiece. The arena wasn’t much larger than the municipal arena in Pointe Claire, where I grew up, (cap. 5,200) and was packed with scarf-waving, drum-beating, singing fans and loads of families. Two dads sat next to me and my buds with their sons, and we (kind of) chatted. People walked to the games chanting and singing, like at European soccer and rugby games. Between periods everyone walks outside to buy beer and smoke. Fantastic atmosphere.

Both Radek Bonk and Marcin Ruzynski (sp?) were playing for Trinec, and I saw a whole bunch of other NHL players in games against Sparta Prague, Bili Tygri (White Tigers) Liberec, and -my fave name- Chemopetrol Litvinov.

You know what…? Maybe if these imbeciles manage to balls things up so badly that they end up nixing the season… I might go back!

Never know, never know…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habs-fan-84 says:

sigh, I never made it to the Czech Republic when I was in Europe and whenever anyone discusses Prague and the Czech Republic I die a little inside…

Cheers!

• twilighthours says:

I watched a ton of basketball, and my dog was a puppy, so I walked her at least an hour every day.

This time around, I’ve got serious plans to get faster. Lots of running.

All this talk of you running has me real tired! I have a Beer League Slo-Pitch playoff game tonight and I am completely drained! Thanks, may need a pregame libation to get my energy back.

• HabFanSince72 says:

A beer and two sausages for under a buck? I’d go watch handball.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Bill Simmons of Grantland on Olympic Women’s Handball:

I have to be honest — we didn’t even make it to halftime before we started wondering things like, “Why isn’t handball more popular?” and “Why isn’t America better at handball?” If you didn’t know, America is willfully terrible at handball — not even a supposedly concerted effort to convert former Division II basketball players came close to working. When you watch handball in person, it just doesn’t make sense. Running and jumping, passing, in-the-air coordination, speed in short bursts, amazing plays that can easily be posted on YouTube within 10 seconds of them happening … um, isn’t that kind of our thing? What am I missing? We were so enthralled by the Croatia-Brazil game that we decided to stay for the next one between Denmark and Sweden. Not only did that seem like a natural rivalry, but … um … did I mention the game involved Danish women and Swedish women?

18. Habitant in Surrey says:

…someOne below talkin’ ’bout today’s ‘soft journalism’
    …a good example is Stu Cowan’s work so far on HIO
    …trite pablum is the only way to describe it
    …if that is all that will be available as far as ‘journalism’ is concerned on the site, there will certainly be a loss of reason to return
    …at this time, the ONLY reason for Myself to check-in is the great reads from Our Commentariat Esqs.
    …hope Our resident mendicant, Mike Boone, returns soon to provide more meaty morsels of opinion for the hordes

• Lafleurguy says:

Respectfully, Mike is far from mendacious. At times he would cross over to sarcasm, and hyperbole, but always in a controlled manner and in much, much smaller doses than a lot of posters. Mike nicely straddles the boundary between high-powered reporter and ordinary fan. He is the only reporter I know who opened up about his dog dying as it just happened.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Cal says:

You gonna work for free, HiS, and show ‘em how it’s done? ;)

19. Habitant in Surrey says:

…and, oh yeah, …wouldn’t it be sweet, if the NHL seriously consider locking out the players, canceling the season …for the Malkins, Ovechkins, Crosbys, Stamkos, Girouxs etc., etcs of Our NHL Hockey Universe say ‘OK Mssrs. Bettman, Jacobs, Snider et al, ‘we have just signed KHL/European contracts at full-term, no ‘outs’ clauses …see ya ! …maybe …in 2013/14 ! ‘

20. Habitant in Surrey says:

…soooo …has hockey begun yet ??? …is summer past ???

…hmmm, no !?!?!

…well, I guess I have no other option …I’m just gonna have to bite the bullet, and enjoy every moment of what remains of this glorious summer :)

There have been only two lockouts in the history of the National Hockey League. It looks like the league is headed for a 3rd. All under the auspices of Gary Bettman’s tenure as commissioner.

I am not about to come running back open arms to the NHL. Nope. My arms are crossed. My eyebrow is raised. My foot is ready to kick someone’s ass.

22. blu_blanc_rouge says:

I can’t believe to this day that no one from the gazette or any other known newspaper/ media has not obtained an interview with Gauthier or Gainey since there departure from Montreal. Is it that they have gone into complete hiding?

• Les Canayens says:

Better not say anything at all as it might jeopardize their chances of obtaining employment elsewhere, which they do now.

Unless of course you’re aiming at a potential job as a TV personality, then you jump at any chance to be interviewed, i.e. Jacques Martin.

23. Mavid says:

If anyone has seen the video Annakin Slayd did in the beginning there is a bit that Viggo does were he talks about wearing his Habs T shirt under his costume during the fight scenes in LOR..said it gave him extra strength…how can you not love this guy…

24. Gerry H says:

I get the sense that something noteworthy is happening today at the talks. Following all the rumours of a potential new offer from the owners, the news that Fehr took a break after 45 minutes today to consult with his members suggests to me that they might have something they can work with. /hopeless optimist

25. HabFanSince72 says:

I actually stopped caring about NHL hockey a while back. The Chara incident. The callous disregard for player safety, from both players AND management! The clear contempt Canadian fans are held in by the league. The boring hockey. The elevation of thuggery over skill.

It’s like Quebec politics. They can’t hurt you if you don’t give a damn.

Normal season. Strike. Lock-out. I don’t care.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Garbo says:

You care enough to log into a hockey site and post about how much you don’t care.

• AliHaba says:

It’s sad but I can almost agree with you except that I’m such a Hab fan … I know I’d miss the NHL big time.

• John Q Public says:

I concur.
      It’s the de-evolution of what remains of society.
      Give them shit, charge them up the ying yang and say take it or leave it.
      It used to be the announcers talked about the game somewhat realistically. Now they are cheerleaders for their corporate masters.

Each passing year it gets harder and harder to watch any sport.

The Chara incident proves how fixed it all is!

26. jon514 says:

Players are turning up the pressure today. Premiere players (Malkin, Stamkos and St-Louis) are “investigating” the possibility of playing in Europe according to TSN. Did Bettman overplay his hand?

• Cal says:

Those players are going to take jobs away from others if they go to Europe. Nice and fair of them, wouldn’t you say?
      Both Bettman and Fehr are being 1st class a-holes. I have no sympathies for either side. I only care that the fans are being screwed yet again by lawyers.
      Speaking of lawyers, what do you have when there are 5,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start. (Rim shot!)

• To be fair, everybody who has a job is taking a job away from someone else. Can’t blame a guy for working just because he’s rich.

I’m not going to cry myself to sleep over Malkin’s mortgage, but don’t forget, most NHL players aren’t stars but rather 1- to 3-season guys who earn, say, $500k after taxes across their entire NHL careers. The players can’t be expected to accept an arbitrary 24% pay cut without a fight, just to give the fans something to watch on TV.

It was the exact same rhetoric last work stoppage. At the end of the day the powerful owners are either willing to holdout/lockout for a longtime or they will make deal soon. To me these are the only options. The owners will not “win” the negotiations with only a short term lockout. They either go whole hog and have the players sit for a year minimum (which will break the union) possibly two years or they settle something soon.

Personally, I think they will settle something sooner than later.

27. habstrinifan says:

Why are people calling HABS season ticket holders ‘dumb’. I dont understand.

If I won a lottery tomorrow first thing I am doing is trying to buy a season ticket.. one seat.. I love to watch games alone…. as near to centre ice as possible.

I think if you can afford it and live in Mtl habs season tickets are exactly what you should be spending your money on.

• 123456 says:

funny you mention watching games alone. when i go to games with the family i try to make it fun for them while seeing as much as i cna. but if i go with my buddies i’m the only one more concerned with the game then the beer…. don’t get me wrong, beer is good but i’ll get it between periods not during the game.

• Habfan10912 says:

The word that comes to my mind to describe season ticket holders is not dumb, it’s rich. I think what folks are voicing is their frustration at enablers who are now being used in this tug of war by greedy people. Nearly all of us are guilty of playing a part in this by supporting the game even if its just watching on TV. Most like me do it for the love of the game. When the game returns I’ll be back and so will the rich people with season tickets.

———————————–

• Mattyleg says:

The problem with that Jim, is that we live in a capitalist society in which profit is made by supplying a product to consumers.

We could just as easily criticise people for putting money in the pockets of rich clothing designers by buying their clothes, or into the pockets of companies like Monsanto by buying fruit or vegetables that have used any of their technology.

The fans are not to blame. The system is to blame.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

@savethepuck, check out Dregers twitter, sunday Aug 26th he reports NHL likely to propose an offer. Sorry on bberry very hard to copy and paste given my limited brain power.

29. 123456 says:

Just go tto the office after a short visit to my local rink to drop my son off for a camp. The cold crisp air was great. I enjoy watching NHL games but little kids are more enjoyable to watch.

Do it Buttman – lock the players out, 95% of NHL fans will move on to other things this fall/winter/spring. And heck, we will save a lot of money too.

30. savethepuck says:

I saw below someone wrote Dreger has reported the NHL is submitting a new proposal today. I hope this is true, but I can’t find anything on TSN about it.
    My fear is today’s meeting goes like this:
    Bettman: ” is your side ready to cave?”
    Fehr: “No. Is your side ready to cave?”
    Bettman: “No. Same time next week then?”
    Fehr: ” OK, see you then.”
    Based on the amount of time the NHLPA spent on their last proposal that was politely dismissed, I’d be surprised if they would be willing to negotiate anything without at least some parts of their proposal being included in the final deal.
    Seems easy to me, they have 2 proposals on the table. Hammer out a deal that includes points from both proposals, and drop the freaking puck.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

31. DorvalTony says:

I read that Gionta had been offered. Not surprised there weren’t any takers. “Captain Flop.”

“Hi, this is P.J. Stock for Depends.”

Martin St. Louis and Stamkos in Europe if Lockout occurs. Once again I find this curious, but once again I am sure these players have made sure that whatever team they go play for has a structure where the players make at least 57% of the leagues revenues, afterall that is fair and the players would never have a double standard.

And a story filed under “Will this Saga ever End?”

The NHL has agreed to run Yotes for 30 more days to help Jamison panhandle a little longer to find money to buy team. Yup, revenue sharing will help this franchise….NOT. Time to close the doors and move this puppy.

34. Hobie Hansen says:

Hopefully by the end of the week there’s some real numbers on the table that both side can eventually meet close to half way on. Right now it seems like the NHLPA wasn’t shy in laying a big number on the table and the NHL is giving them the “are you insane” attitude.

I wonder how important small market teams are to the NHLPA? Would the players fight for more money if it meant 4 or 5 times collapsed, like they would under the current agreement?

And how about the owners. Off the record, I wonder what the rich teams would say about poor teams. Would they care if the teams drawing 7000 fans on a Tuesday night were sold to a city that sold out ever night?

I assume the only reason teams like the Panthers, Coyotes and Islanders are allowed to survive is because there is or was hope that they’re in huge TV markets and will make money that way? Did that ever happen?

I think the Salary cap is important to keep a level playing field but some off the bottom feeders, where’s there’s a very small amount of fan support, should be sold to hockey cities.

35. commandant says:

Part 2 of Maxim’s look at the NHL Yearbooks and whose predictions did best last year.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

CBA Talks – Why a deal will get done.

Seems to me it is widely accepted that the Rangers, Bruins, Hawks, Wings, Habs, Leafs, Philly, Vancouver, and perhaps 1 or 2 other teams are making money year in year out under the current agreement. It is also pretty widely accepted that Jacobs, Snider, and a few other of the owners of these same teams pretty much steer the “GoodShip NHL”. So why would any of these teams want a work stoppage? Sure they are greedy and would accept making even more money, but I think they are okay with the current agreement.

The people that need the deal changed are the money losing franchises, and we know who they are. Well, they got huge concessions from the wealthy owners in the last CBA, to me it seems obvious that the wealthy owners gave up a full season of income in order to help their little brothers out and in the process lost much of their juice by giving in to a cap which prevents them from really outspending other teams in order to make their team stronger.

I don’t know, just seems to me like the big boys have the hammer this time and will tell Gary to get this done and get back to making money, if the rest of the kids don’t want to play then they can make money relocating those franchises in Toronto and Quebec City. The new ownership of the Leafs would probably welcome another franchise as this means more cable air time filled with another local team and I can see the opportunity for one of those partners getting away from the Leafs and owning the new team.

The league is already propping up Phoenix, giving New Jersey advances on their TV money, they don’t want to now have to pay more revenue sharing after missing an entire season.

My wishful thinking for the day.

• A well thought-out post, HiB. I hope you’re right, and you may well be. I’m just worried that the have-not teams, which form the majority, may swing the league around to a tougher bargaining position.

The league also really seems hellbent on making Phoenix competitive in Phoenix — the departures of both the Coyotes and Thrashers might be seen as an embarrassing failure of a good chunk of the league’s southern expansion strategy, and teams like Florida and Nashville may not be far behind.

But like I say, I really hope you’re right! : )

37. Mattyleg says:

Guten morgen freuinds!
    I don’t get it.
    What’s the deal with this “I wanna see the other team’s pretty colours” movement?

When I go to the Bell Center, I couldn’t give a crap whether the other team is playing in white, grey, green, beige, or fuscia. They could be skating around in turquoise frocks for all I care.
    I go to the Bell Center to see one team play. They are the ones I want to see wearing their classic jersey. Their original jersey.

Those who are so interested in colours should take a stroll to the nearest sprinkler and have a look at the lovely rainbow there, because seeing the Bruins’ black and gold in my building a handful of times in a year interests me not in the least.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Lafleurguy says:

M.L., you’re not usually this grumpy! And….the Penguins seem to have embraced the turquoise smock look since the Blue Jays gave it up!

“May you live in interesting times.”

P.S. Bruins suck!

See what happens when a person starts their thoughts in German? Immediate anger ensues with loud talking. Trust me, I grew up hearing my Dad say Guten Morgen and it sounded like “Go clean your room!”.

Morning Guy, Mornin’ Matty.

CHeers

• Mattyleg says:

Haha!

Yeah, sorry, I guess in the morning it can go either way.
          But I stand by what I said. I don’t get it.

I’m off to the Biodome with the little lady to take a look at the baby lynx!
          Catch yez all later!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habsfan0 says:

For those people who are season ticket holders(of which I am not)I dare say it must get extremely boring ALWAYS seeing the visitors wear white,while the home team ALWAYS wears its dark colours. Seeing the different colours of the visiting team if home side wears white would be somewhat refreshing,a change of pace,if you will. However,Bettman & Company won’t change unless the NFL does,as they’re trying to emulate EVERYTHING that league does. Which,isn’t necessarily that bad an idea given that the NFL is the most successful sports league in North America.

• Habfan10912 says:

I completely agree habfan0. I wonder if they switched because white shows the names on the back making it easier to read names on the back of sweaters as the casual fan doesn’t watch games often enough to memorize numbers?

———————————–

• habsfan0 says:

Well, as I said, the NHL is trying to copy the NFL,and since home teams in that league always wear dark unis(with the exception of the Dallas Cowboys, who always wear white at home)the NHL probably won’t do anything to change unless the NFL does it first. The interesting thing about the Cowboys is that,not only do they almost always seem to wear white(home & away),but they only seem to wear their dark blue jerseys when they play in Washington vs the Redskins.Also,the Redskins always seem to wear white unless they’re playing the Cowboys in Dallas,where they don their crimson unis. Not sure how that works. In addition,there have been a few studies conducted which have “proven” that a sports team wearing darker colours has a slight psychological advantage over a team dressed in white,which would further explain why NHL owners want their team in darker colours at home. IMHO,that’s just a bunch of hooey,and I would much prefer home teams in white in both NFL & NHL.

• Strummer says:

You’re forgetting that for many years the home teams were in white.
        Maybe they should change it up every year or 2 for a change of pace.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

38. habstrinifan says:

Don’t know if you have all read the report from TSN.CA. When the negotiations resume today in NY, there will only be 4 men at the bargaining table. Bettman and Daly for the owners and Donald and Steve Fehr for the players.

This is a great sign, I think, Negotiations started with almost every one with a greviance to air sitting at the table. This was expected and normal. It gives the rank and file from the respective sides some input and builds their committment and solidarity.

But of course it makes headway well nigh impossible because people are more interested in being heard than finding solutions.

Now ‘the professionals’ are at the table. Love them or not, they represent hope for us fans. They have been here before and know that there must be give and take and have the experience to identify the areas where that can happen and at least start the ball rolling towards a comprehensive agreement.

Definitely a positive sign.

• JF says:

Except that last week’s meeting were also between those 4 men, and nothing happened.

• habstrinifan says:

My bad then! I thought this was a new step.

Edit: I went back and read the article. It is indeed a good sign. They had met only very very briefly as 4. This is new and is going to be without lawyers etc.

• Habfan10912 says:

Habstrin, I too continue to look for any silver lining. I believe the last time the big four were in the room they ended up cancelling the afternoon negotiation session. Of course I jumped to the conclusion that a new proposal was being put together. Wrong!
          I did read somewhere that the League is suppose to be presenting a new proposal today. Hopefully it moves the two sides closer together.

———————————–

Dreger and TSN reported the NHL were planning to present a new offer today. You werent’ dreaming that, it was reported. ;-)

• habs-hampton says:

Unfortunately, all 4 of them ARE lawyers! lol

39. …and the sad thing is, the vast majority of sports fans in the United States won’t even recognize the Habs Jersey. Folks, living in the NYC area, only hockey fans recognize it. NFL and MLB fans are so busy getting pumped for tailgate parties and ravishing their $20 million a year plus players as well as NBA hoops dreams that Hockey doesn’t even come close. Wait until the MLS franchises catch on and leave hockey as the fifth sport to not watch. It amazes me that all these players get paid soooo much money to play a sport like baseball that involves scratching their crotches and standing in one spot for the better part of a nine inning game. Sure football is a tough sport for short bursts of time, but hockey, I don’t know, I guess I just grew up watching it and loving it. To me, these guys get the frack knocked out of them every night, get paid less than a quarter on average to MLB franchises fat pitchers and are ignored by most people interested in sports. Go figure, but that is the level of our fan base down here save for the Northern states. As long as NHL hockey is relegated to a professional league with the national US appeal of not even college football or hoops, then it’s a squabble over pennies in business terms compared to the other professional and college leagues.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• mrhabby says:

i don’t agree..i have been to the States many , many times and have worn either the jersey or a habs T. Amost every time some one has recognized it and iam taking about the southern states Florida, Texas , Carolina’s.

40. Lafleurguy says:

Shout out to Newf_Habster for linking this Jerseynotshore Story about five days ago.

“May you live in interesting times.”

41. Habs_4_ever says:

I also very much like the practise jerseys.

————————
    “Can we lose the parade float?…..Thank you!”
    -This Old House, GMC commercial-

42. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning. In addition to wishing all a pleasant day, I’d really like for there to be a big breakthrough at the negotiation table this morning. Wishful thinking perhaps.

———————————–

If wishful thonking helps more than wishful thinking, then consider me Thonking! LOL, just kidding Chief, yah I too am hopeful that some rationale thinking can occur at the table today!

• Cal says:

Hi,HF. I’d like a fan to “breakthrough” into that meeting and “thonk” them all with a sledge hammer. In lieu of all that, Raonic’s first match at the US Open is being streamed at TSN.ca at 11 AM EDT.

Don’t expect any meaningful negotiations until September 12th or 13th. This pissing contest has just begun. Enjoy junior hockey this autumn, because the 2 chief blockheads are going to be obstinate and not budge an inch.

• JF says:

Unfortunately I agree. The two sides have been meeting every week since the beginning of July with no meaningful progress on the central issue. They seem to be not so much discussing as staring each other down. Last week’s sessions between Bettman and Daly on one side and the Fehr brothers on the other lasted barely 90 minutes each. Unless one side or the other has a new proposal, this week will be no different. Even the fact that time is running out is unlikely to impart a sense of urgency, since both sides seem to be prepared for a lockout.

• Habfan10912 says:

I believe the Owners are suppose to present a new proposal this morning. Any movement would be a positive step at this point. Am I grasping at straws?

———————————–

• Cal says:

Unfortunately, all we can do is hope that a sensible solution is found. Then again, both Bettman and Fehr aren’t known for that.

• Cal says:

The only response we should have as fans is to stay away in droves. I know it’s probably not feasible, but that would be the best thing for both sides. Watching a $3 billion pie shrink to $1 billion or less could be the best thing that happens to these “intelligent” people.
          The NHL coming back to empty arenas in Canada for 1 month or longer would demonstrate the fans’ power. We pay the freight and have no say in any negotiations. It’s the equivalent of being patted on the head and told to wait in the corner while the “grownups” discuss your fate.

• JF says:

Fans in Canada and all the big markets will flock back in droves the minute there is any hockey. All we can hope is that the fan base in some of the smaller markets will be seriously eroded and that the NHL will be forced to move some of those teams. If that happens and if TV revenues are significantly affected, the NHL will think twice in future about locking out the players. Bettman is gambling this time that because the League has “the greatest fans in the world,” it will recover quickly from a lockout. We can hope events prove him wrong.

• Habfan10912 says:

Do you think Chrisadiens and I could get past security? :)

———————————–

• Lafleurguy says:

Haven’t complimented you and the missus before for choosing a cool name for your son!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Guy. I wanted to name Chris, Guy Damien after you know who. My second choice was Daniel Joseph after Rusty Staub. The ex used her veto power thus the third choice, Chris. True story. :)

———————————–

• Lafleurguy says:

Neat Jim! Never knew Le Demon Blonde’s middle name was Damien! Thanks for bringing up Le Grand Orange. I cut school to watch the Expos’ inaugural game which they won 11-10, I think against the eventual World Series champs, the Miracle Mets of ’69 with Terrific Tom Seaver and slick-fielding Ron Swoboda!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Cal says:

Maybe if you wear Beavis (Fehr) and Butthead (that one’s obvious) masks! ;)

43. otter649 says:

Remember that a Habs Red Sweator was seen in the movie Fast Times at Ridgemount High…….

• Habfan10912 says:

Funny movie Otter. Like Habsolutely I missed the jersey scene.

———————————–

• Jay in PA says:

Yes, it was an early scene in the mall, in which two kids are trying to buy concert tickets from Damone. One of the kids is wearing a Canadiens sweater.

Nobody asked it, but in case anyone was curious, the real-life mall from the movie was the Sherman Oaks Galleria, in the San Fernando valley. It’s been torn down since, replaced by what, I don’t know. I was in it in the 90’s, but Phoebe Cates was long gone. Sadly.

• Cal says:

Wow, a flash from the past! Nice to see a post from you!

• Jay in PA says:

Thanks for your kind words, Cal. I stopped posting a while ago because I recognized that talking about the team and the game wasn’t getting me anywhere. I don’t have the analytical acumen of a Leigh Anne Power or the experience and insight of someone who’s played the game to add any kind of valuable commentary, and the team certainly isn’t listening to me (or this board) for ideas on line combinations or roster moves. I don’t like to argue for the sake of argument. So that gives me little to work with here, other than coming in regularly to check on the news. I do miss the fellowship with folks like you and the others from back in the day, though.

@Jay,

Some of us are here for the fun and and comraderie of being Hab fans. Some are here to stir the pot and others are here to be wannabe GMs and coaches. All contributions add to the site. Post away and remember that life is too short to take it that seriously.

44. AceMagnum says:

NHL should go back to white jerseys at home! Start the petition!!

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

• HammerHab says:

No way! The red jerseys look better. Keep them as the home jerseys.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• AceMagnum says:

Everytime I go to a game it looks like the Canadiens are playing the same freakin team each night. I’d like to meet someone dumb enough to be a season ticket holder.
        Back in the day it was fun, you’d get to watch the Habs in white, and the visiting team’s colored unis. Once or twice a year the Habs would wear red at home as a treat for the fans…that made sense…those were the days.
        Oh and we used to win then too…

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

• pmaraw says:

this makes so much sense too me!!! ty and /signed

• habstrinifan says:

I agree with you. And I think the Red jersey is also more intimidating to the other team in their own rink. I remember the sight of the Red jerseys in Boston and Philadelphia somehow telling me we are ready to face the Big Bad Bruins and the Flyers.

Of course the team itself was differently built then.

• Cal says:

The “dumb enough to be a season ticket holder” fans keep the Habs profitable.
          Agree about seeing the other teams colours, though, with only a few games at home with the original.

At the beginning of the original 6 era, there weren’t any white jerseys. The teams always wore their colours.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I second. I’d prefer the traditional white jersey at home. Tradition of the seventies that is.

Does anyone know why the darker jersey became the home jersey? Is it because other teams preferred their darks? Does it have to do with the studies that showed darker, more vibrant colours appeared more intimidating? I thought I heard that it was to allow teams to sell more jerseys, since all the home fans already had the light jersey, and would now want the dark jersey to fit in at the rink.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Historically, the dark jerseys have been the home jersey. It flipped around for awhile, but I’m glad it has flipped again. It’s what we get used to that feels right to us.

• twilighthours says:

My formative years were spent with whites at home. I support this idea.

Next poll should be, “Who is your favourite original six hockey team?”

1) Canadiens
    2) Black Hawks
    3) Red Wings
    4) Rangers
    5) Bruins
    6) Maple Leafs

Should be close. What do you think?

46. 69HABS says:

Are the Goalie pads smaller this season?

I seen some pics of Price trying out some new equipment & the pads look narrower …

• HammerHab says:

I haven’t seen them but firs tthing that popped into my mind was that it’s probably an optical illusion. Make them pads seem smaller so the shooters end up shooting at them.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

47. Mavid says:

was there any doubt…we usually come in first or second to the Blackhawks…ugliest for the NHL the Sens…looks like a condom wrapper…or the attempt at a retro one with the big zero on it…however that is appropriate…zero for winning nothing…

48. I love the red uniform but the white could be better…how about adding a blue stripe around the middle (the same one as from the red jersey) to the white jersey. i think that would make the white one look better…anyone else agree?

The greatest Canadiens and NHL news-site: http://teliopost.com/
    Twitter: @teliopost

49. ari says:

i cant wait to see her singing the anthems here with that fashion

50. smiler2729 says:

Classic look forever…

BAN BUTTMAN

_______________________________________
    Calling it like it is:
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Tim Thomas is a Nugentian lunatic.
    Boston Bruins, gutless diving weasel pukes.

51. Willy the bum says:

Well, if there’s a girl in my dreams, she’ll better be wearing only a Habs jersey!

Out of curiosity, what’s the worst uniform out of all sports?

P.S. to Nicola Roberts: “Boing”!

52. frontenac1 says:

Eskimos vs Argos. What a crappy venue in the Skydome. Lots of empty seats,no atmosphere. Argos really need a smaller venue. I went to a couple of Double Blue games in the 80″s at Varsity Stadium and it was great. Go Als Go!

53. Caper says:

Blackhawk jerseys are gorgeous and should easily be top 5. Our red jerseys are beauties.

54. JUST ME says:

It is the best jersey. It does mean something. It is recognizable on the whole planet and yes , although it seems far fetched these days it is a symbol of pride . Can`t find a better way to sell Montreal and Canada worldwide.

55. alexander54 says:

I can remember when Montreal was the powerhouse of the original six, and the exspanded 12. In 92 when st. Patrick was out sick and the habs were facing the bruins, when the bruins fans heard that Roy would be back next game all I was hearing was moans and groans from them. They knew that it was over for the bruins. It was so funny to see them like that. As for the habs colors they are the colors in any sport period. Those colors don’t run.

56. showey47 says:

Great story on Subban’s off season training. He apparently is up to 220lb’s

• Phil C says:

I cannot wait to see Subban play at a lean 220lbs, he will be an absolute wrecking ball on the blueline. I just hope the extra weight does not cost him any speed. It sounds like it is all lean mass though. I am convinced this guy will be a Norris candidate in a few years.

57. frontenac1 says:

It is Magical Amigos, Pure Magic! Makes Frontenacs heart beat faster every time he sees it. Hola!

58. Bripro says:

My all-time favourite had to be the Canucks inaugural sweater.
    Nothing like showing a hockey-stick to bring the message home!
    After that, the barber-shop version of the Habs retros, now THAT’s classy!
    Ooo, baby! ;)

59. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

My grandfather is a long time Blackhawks fan and swears by their colors, but I will always view the Blue Blanc Rouge as the gold standard for Jerseys everywhere

• bleedhabs81 says:

I got in an arguement with my father in-law who said the blue and red looked horrible together. What do yo expect from an Oilers fan though.

Stupid black oil drop logo

I like that in my life time, I haven’t seen any drastic change to the montreal uniforms. I hate when teams feel the need to re-invent themselves. Especially with 3rd jersey’s that only exist to boost revenues. Not that we are completely immune to this, but at least our alternate jersey’s have some history and did exist at one point or another (like the old school white one with the blue band accross the chest)

• neumann103 says:

I beleive your father in law may be colour blind. Red White and Blue is the greatest colour combination.Look at all the flags that bear that combo. Even the Columbus Blue Jackets unis look classy.

But more to the point anyone who articulates anything positive about uniforms involving Orange has immediately disqualified himself totally. Ugh.

Plus, love that Ann-Romano-One-Day-At-A-Time era font. Tasteful.

“Et le but!”

60. naweed235 says:

I’d say the all black LA King’s takes it by a wide margin… that uni is just a thing of beauty!

61. After the Habs and Blackhawks, I’m a sucker for the Red Wings logo and unis — pure class, both at home and away.

62. piper says:

blackhawks would be my favorite uni.

63. secretdragonfly says:

Wonder if Viggo put her up to it?

64. commandant says:

Max Vasilyev has an interesting look at last years NHL Preview Magazines (The Hockey News, Official NHL Yearbook, and McKeens) with an eye to whose predictions for the final NHL standings were most accurate.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Bripro says:

Seeing your link regarding the Hawks made me stop and reflect for a minute. Yes, it does happen.
      Corey Crawford is a hometown boy, and a best friend of my nephew, who was also a great D player, just not that good.
      I had to feel bad for the kid, when people started jumping off the bandwagon, and pointing fingers at him.
      I saw him this summer. He certainly doesn’t seem worse the wear.
      I’m hoping he bounces back, just not against our Habs.

• commandant says:

Stuff happens with rookie and sophomore goalies, its just the way it is. Now the question is how does he bounce back? Some goalies do, some don’t…. it’ll be up to him.

I remember the game he played against Montreal late in the year in 2011, when PK scored in OT to clinch the Habs a playoff spot. One of the best games of the year that year.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

65. habstrinifan says:

Man the sight of the HABS colours, especially good flannel, sets everything right with the world.

I think on the Seventh Day, the Almighty put on his HABS Jersey and rested!

It is said Virgins in Heaven wear Habs flannel or wear nothing at all.

Unfortunately not many HIO posters will ever find out the truth of that rumour.

66. Price07 says:

Well that girl is just perfect!

67. Say Ash says:

I conquer with a simple duh!

68. habsfan0 says:

This,of course,comes as no surprise to us Hab fans.

As a consolation,Leafs sweater named as best shop towel design.

69. Cal says:

This has got to be the weirdest format Stu Cowan has come up with yet! ;)

LMAO! now, it has shrunk. Maybe copy and paste from Word?

70. Bripro says:

But Shania looks even better!