Habs’ Subban, Price headed to Sochi; Galchenyuk has broken hand

Canadiens fans can relax – and celebrate.

P.K. Subban was named to Team Canada for the Sochi Olympics on Tuesday morning along with Canadiens goaltender Carey Price. There was also good news for Canadiens defencemen Andrei Markov and Alexei Emelin, who were both named to Team Russia for the Olympics.

That means there will be eight members of the Canadiens taking part in the Sochi Games. The other four are Max Pacioretty (USA), Peter Budaj (Slovakia), Tomas Plekanec (Czech Republic) and Raphael Diaz (Switzerland).

But there was also some bad news for the Canadiens on Tuesday morning with the team announcing that Alex Galchenyuk suffered a broken hand in Monday’s 2-1 win over the Florida Panthers at the Bell Centre and will be sidelined for six weeks.

There had been plenty of speculation – and debate – heading into Tuesday’s press conference in Toronto officially announcing the Olympic team about whether Subban would make Team Canada, while Price appeared to be a lock for Sochi.

Price learned he had made Team Canada at 10:29 a.m. when he got a call from Kevin Lowe of the Team Canada management team. Lowe called Subban just as the defenceman was about to drive into the Canadiens’ practice facility in Brossard.

“I’m just grateful to have the opportunity to be able to play with the best players in the world, and play against them and learn from them,” Subban told reporters in Brossard after the Canadiens’ practice Tuesday morning.

Said Price: ”I felt like I did what I could to earn a spot on the team and I think they felt the same way.”

As for being on Team Canada with Subban, the goaltender said: ”He’s a really good friend of mine and I’m really happy that he’ll be able to share this experience with me.”

Team Canada general manager Steve Yzerman was asked at the Toronto press conference if there was ever any doubt about Subban making the team.

“There’s no doubt there’s a lot of good players, whether it’s goaltender, right defence, left defence, any of the positions,” Yzerman said. “We had some difficult decisions to make and so there was a lot of good players to choose from. This isn’t about any one individual. We had hard decisions to make and because we have so many tremendous players to choose from, that’s what makes it difficult.”

Later, in a one-on-one interview with TSN, James Duthie asked Yzerman about Subban being a “bubble player” when it came to making Team Canada.

“P.K. shoots the puck, obviously, his greatest strengths are his shot and his puck-handling,” Yzerman said. “We’ve watched very closely and ultimately it came down to the players we were looking at, he’s the right fit for that spot right now.

“I try to stay away from naming names, but we look at Brent Seabrook (of the Chicago Blackhawks, who didn’t make Team Canada). He played on our (Olympic) team in 2010, he has won two Stanley Cups since then … he’s a heckuva player. These are the types of decisions we’re making. We’re talking about two really good players here. We got to make a decision … we’re going with eight defencemen. We talked about going five rights and three lefts, or five lefts and three rights … going with seven defencemen and 15 forwards. … You’ve got to make decisions and ultimately you’re leaving very, very good players off the team.”

Here’s a look at the complete 25-man Team Canada roster:

Goaltenders: Roberto Luongo, Carey Price, Mike Smith.

Defence: Jay Bouwmeester, Drew Doughty, Dan Hamhuis, Duncan Keith, Alex Pietrangelo, P.K. Subban, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Shea Weber.

Forwards: Jamie Benn, Patrice Bergeron, Jeff Carter, Sidney Crosby, Matt Duchene, Ryan Getzlaf, Chris Kunitz, Patrick Marleau, Rick Nash, Corey Perry, Patrick Sharp, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Jonathan Toews.

Some of the star players who didn’t make Team Canada include Claude Giroux, James Neal, Joe Thornton, Eric Staal, Martin St. Louis, Logan Couture and Dan Boyle.

The Canadiens are back in action Wednesday night in Philadelphia against the Flyers (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Peter Budaj will start in goal after Price took a therapy day Tuesday and skipped practice. Brandon Prust also missed Tuesday’s practice for personal reasons and Ryan White remains sidelined with an upper-body injury. George Parros, who has been sidelined with a concussion, will be a game-time decision against the Flyers.

With Galchenyuk out of the lineup, Michael Bournival moved up to play on a line with Lars Eller and Rene Bourque at practice. Here’s how the lines looked Tuesday:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Bournival
Briere-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Parros

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Price and Subban excited to be on Team Canada, by Brenda Branswell

Olympics a perfect stage for Subban, by Dave Stubbs

No shortage of surprises on Team Canada, by Cam Cole of Postmedia News

Postmedia News live chat recap: Who made team Canada

Subban and Price named to Team Canada, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Plekanec ‘a little surprised’ to be named captain of Czech Republic team, by Dave Stubbs

Diaz, Plekanec headed to Sochi, by Pat Hickey

Saku Koivu won’t be part of Team Finland, NHL.com

Gionta scores winner against Panthers, by Pat Hickey

Habs go back to their roots against Panthers, by Pat Hickey

Habs vs. Panthers photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Price makes headlines south of border, Stu on Sports blog

Subban wins popularity vote with Habs fans, Stu on Sports blog

1,124 Comments

1. The Teacher says:

No St. Louis? Yeeeesh

2. Chris says:

Ryan Getzlaf has been one of the most consistently excellent NHL forwards post-lockout. I’ve got not problems whatsoever with his inclusion on Team Canada.

As with many players of his skill level, he has evolved his game with time. Long a dominant set-up man and physical player, Getzlaf is shooting more this season as shown by his goal totals. He’s also playing more penalty kill time and has grown into a team leader.

Is he the fastest skater on the ice? No. But he gets where he needs to be, and he causes trouble when he gets there. He is a physical player without being undisciplined, an area where Team Canada often falls short.

As for Carter and Kunitz, they are there simply because they score goals. Here are the players who have posted 35 goals or more since the start of last season:

Ovechkin – 63
    Marleau – 36
    Couture – 35
    Vanek – 35
    Wheeler – 35
    Getzlaf – 35
    Pacioretty 35

Over the past two seasons, Kunitz has been the 5th most prolific scorer in the NHL, bundled in a pack with a number of other stars that are all substantially behind the two elite NHL goal-scorers (Ovechkin and Stamkos). Nor do I find the knock of Kunitz being a product of Crosby being particularly fair: Getzlaf has Perry and Selanne, Toews has Hossa, Sharp and Kane, Benn has Seguin, Marleau has Thornton and Couture, St. Louis has Stamkos, Datsyuk has Zetterberg, etc. Most of the good players in the NHL are supported by equally talented stars. The notable exceptions, for me, are John Tavares (although he now has Vanek) and Taylor Hall, who was my dark-horse for Team Canada as his ridiculous speed would have been a tremendous asset on the big ice.

The knock against Kunitz is that it is assumed that anybody can play with Crosby. This may or may not be true, but we do know that Kunitz CAN play with Crosby.

The only player I feel bad for is Martin St. Louis. I got a kick out of all the whining that Habs fans that claimed you can’t leave the reigning Norris Trophy winner off the team (they didn’t, but he is still in tough to actually play in the games), yet there hasn’t been similar outrage that the reigning Art Ross Trophy winner was in danger of being left off the team. It’s a brutal business, and the competition for these jobs is fierce.

I think the team would look pretty different if we were talking about a Canada Cup, where the players would have a training camp to acclimatize to playing with one another. But with the teams jumping right in, they pretty much have to put a premium on existing chemistry.

3. Sportfan says:

How about calling up a player or two to replace chucky?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

4. monmick says:

Obama made that mistake once…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

5. rhino514 says:

So who comes up from Hamilton? With White out and Bournival moving up, the team needs a centre.
    Don´t think Leblanc is playing centre in Hamilton but even if he is, I think the habs have more confidence in dumont as regards centre/faceoffs and he has been their hottest player lately. He´s also had a couple of good stints previously with the habs where he has been noticeable.

Buffalo postpones tonights game due to impending weather conditions.

7. Sportfan says:

James Neal should have gone over Kunitz that’s just stupid that he actually made it.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

I think Neal’s incredible lack of judgement in kneeing a player laying on the ice may have been a contributing factor. He seems to lose his cool on the ice, and international officiating is bound to get players riled up.

While I think he is supertalented, I can understand the decision not to bring Neal.

8. Bripro says:

For all of those who saw PK’s interview on Sportsnet this morning, answer me this.
    What is that stuff growing on his face?
    Is that supposed to be a beard?
    He was in one sequence of 24CH, getting a hair cut. Not a hair out of place….. then he grows this thing…
    (thinking to self …. probably storing food in there somewhere… rogue hairs everywhere)

9. Sportfan says:

No St Louis that’s weird.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Perhaps the best Sports Business deal ever made, just got better. Great story.

Man, Therrien is such a jerk. Goes on hipping praise on Price and then goes “same with PK. He made progress last couple of years. We are trying to make him a good all around player”.

12. mount royal says:

I am going to nominate Yzerman for the Nobel Peace prize. By naming Subban, he has single-handedly avoided creating civil war in this country.

13. Habs_101 says:

While I understand some of the criticism for the Nash and Hamhuis picks (and you can make arguments both ways), I really don’t get the Kunitz outrage.

Does anyone realize that the primary argument (that he is nothing without Crosby – which is really lame) is COMPLETELY irrelevant since Sid is going to be there anyways. If they are lights out playing together (great chemistry) doesn’t it make sense to keep them together for a SHORT seven game tournament rather than trying to manufacture chemistry from somewhere else?!

Also, it extremely head scratching that NO ONE discusses Kunitz’s three year prior to ever playing with Sid! Where he played with… GETZLAF AND PERRY… my my… and his numbers were astonishingly similar to his numbers now, as a younger player.

I honestly feel Kunitz gets underestimated so much because he plays with Sidney Crosby… who no doubt is the best player in the world. My point is lets wait and see before criticizing this team, the men in charge of selection are very qualified! Cheers, Go Canada!

GO HABS GO!

• Timo says:

Kunitz is Rob Zamunner of 2014 Olympics

• habs-fan-84 says:

If I remember correctly, he continued to score at a good pace even when Crosby was injured last year.

• Forum Dog says:

Kunitz is solid. Playing with Crosby is a testament to his abilities, not some random luck of the draw. He plays with the Cros because he forechecks, backchecks, bodychecks, agitates, shoots and scores. An absolute beauty of a hockey player.

Comparing him to Zamuner is sheer mockery. No, he’s not likely to be the star of the Olympics, but I’m willing to bet he contributes more all around than Carter, Nash, or Marleau.

14. ABHabsfan says:

With PK going to Sochi, and deservedly so, MB has about 4 weeks to sign him to a long-term deal. If/when PK lights it up over there and he is yet to be signed, the Habs will have to give him freakin’ Bell Centre in his contract.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

15. Bripro says:

Jim…. Habfan10912

“….Brian, Gerald, I have NO Leaf friends….”
    Isn’t that a good thing?
    I mean, no offence to those who do but…. suckers!!!!!

Emelin’s English is nicht gut. He needs some ESL classes.

You know what’s good about today’s selection – no Staal brothers. Can’t stand them.

But, on a flip side no DD either. That kinda sucks.

18. huge_polar_bear says:

That is incredibly insulting to the wonderful athletes that compete for Canada during the Special Olympics.

19. Hobie Hansen says:

Not cool…

20. Luke says:

So PK for Captain of team Canada?

21. monmick says:

@The_Truth. I believe Koivu took himself out of the running.

How is Price’s groin today?

23. rhino514 says:

aaaand the second half injuries are starting. Galchenyuk is the first victim. Bournival finding his mojo is key. Habs need to stay healthy until he comes back.

24. Psycho29 says:

For the most part I like the Team Canada selections, although as a team their Fenwick leaves a lot to be desired and their Corsi falls a little short.
    Luckily their strong Henway makes up for it.

25. PeterD says:

I think for Wed game they should call up Leblanc for the 4th line.
    I’m thinking White won’t be ready and Parros would benefit from more recovery time.
    From what I’m hearing LL has responded well since being sent to Hamilton and with Chuckie out it would be a good time for management to demonstrate to LL if he has any future with the Habs.
    I’m not a huge LL fan, but on balance he’s worked hard and IMO deserves a shot.

• CJ says:

I’m all for Leblanc, but not on the fourth line. Gotta surround the kid with better players if we hope for him to succeed. I think back to max’s comments a few years ago. I’m paraphrasing but he basically said of wasn’t on the top two lines on Montreal he was better off in hamilton.

• The_Truth says:

Leblanc will never be brought up to start on the top 9. It’s hard enough for Briere and Bournival to get a shot. He has to start somewhere and at this point he doesn’t have much time left to make an impression.

• CJ says:

We (the management team) need to get beyond this mindset. When they brought up holland to play on the fourth line I knew it wouldn’t work. He played decently, but it’s just not easy to adapt to a new role and responsibility at the highest level. Hey, I’m no expert and don’t profess to be. It simply stands to reason, at least within my limited scope, that a player can’t be simply slotted into a lineup in a position he is not accustomed to playing. Wasn’t this the whole left side, right side defencemen argument for team Canada?

• habs-fan-84 says:

I’d also like to see LL called up, he’s had chemistry with Eller in the past.

26. The_Truth says:

Selanne named to his 6th Olympics. Amazing. No Saku Koivu, which is a mistake I think.

27. Psycho29 says:

@Bripro….I like that additional line about Dian chasing small cars….

28. adadi says:

Waaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaa!

• adadi says:

Sorry. Meant to leave this on the Phaneuf comment. He must be cryiing like a baby.

• sims says:

like a baby in the arms of elisha cuthbert…

• Psycho29 says:

maybe not “arms”
          ;-)

• The Jackal says:

Yeah, I don’t feel bad for him. A new contract, 49m in the bank, and a hot wife he who gets to console him now that he is sad. Dion’s got it good!

But in seriousness, I like Phaneuf. It’s too bad he is a Leaf. When he was a Flame I would dream of him becoming a Hab. He’s very good offensively and would be a perfect second pairing/top PP guy with a stay-at-home D as his partner.

He is in over his head as the Leafs’ top D. That team needs serious help in that department.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

29. DipsyDoodler says:

Here’s how you build traffic to your blog. You engage with your readers.

Please take note, H I/O braintrust.

That was very entertaining to read.

Edit: For the record, I think Getzlaf was an excellent choice to be on team.

• shiram says:

Wow that was pretty awful.
      I’m usually more moderate when it comes to Berkshire, but that’s just awful.

• bwoar says:

That site needs a Timo, or I won’t even.

“thoroughbred”

• twilighthours says:

In what way?

• Tyhudg says:

Those guys are jerks. I can also be a jerk, but EOTP is full of a bunch of sensationalizing babies who think they know the NHL better than current players and managers. Andrew Berskshires ‘Open letter to MT’ was among the most pathetic things I have ever seen on the internet. They tug at the hearts of their readers by perpetuating falsities and sensationalizing non stories, only really highlighting problems that don’t exist.

• Steeltown Hab says:

That was actually a great article, and if you suscribe to the theory that coaches and management know best. You’re just an idiot, did they know best when they traded for Gomez? Professionals make tones of mistakes, and are often not the most qualified like in any field of work. It’s the fan’s right to criticize and discuss there moves.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Bripro says:

A week before Christmas, TSN 690 had Berkshire on the air.
      I have to admit that he wasn’t as arrogant on the air as he was when he posted here.
      I thought perhaps he had changed.
      But this link just proves the opposite.
      If anything, he’s gotten worse.
      His social skills need some serious adjustments.
      Sometimes, instead of taking comments personally and oozing in verbal diarrhoea, it’s better to say nothing.

• Ron says:

Is that you AB

• CJ says:

I decided to slip over and take a glance for myself. All I will say is that I won’t be doing that again. The commentary was brutal.

30. Psycho29 says:

I just heard that Dion Phaneuf, distraught at not being chosen to Team Canada, tried to end it all by running onto the Don Valley Parkway.
    Luckily he suffered no injuries, the traffic just drove around him.

31. jols101 says:

Sportsnet had Price on Hockey Central at Noon and PK was just on Tim and Sid. Both gave really classy interviews. Sportsnet giving PK that gig during the lockout last year is really paying off for them. They are getting great access from him and his good buddy Price.

32. Plekasuares says:

WTF Rick Nash? Owel still winnin gold o and Carter? Galchenyuk can be replaced wasnt doin much anyways

33. shiram says:

Nearly a 151 million cap hit for the Olympic Canadian team.
    USA team : $119,835,256

34. Kooch7800 says:

I am curious to see how Markov does on the Big ice now that his speed is not what it used to be. I think he has enough smarts that he will still be very effective but I am curious to see how they use him in the game (along with Emelin).

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

35. Max_Hab_Fan says:

With most of the roosters set for Sochi, I thought I would put down a few random thoughts.
    Max Pac – after playing with some of the best centers in the world, will he still consider DD the most talented center that he has played with? Will the larger ice allow him to use his speed and create more scoring chances to the outside?
    Price – Will Luongo recover in time to be the number one starter or will Carey win that position from him?
    Subban – Will his time in Belleville benefit him on the larger ice service in Sochi? Will he be able to crack the top 6?
    Plecs – Will his captaincy in Sochi boost his playing down the stretch and make him more of a leader in Montreal?
    Markov – will the larger ice surface expose his slower foot speed?
    Emelin – will he regain his mojo in Sochi and come back to Montreal and play like he did last year?
    Diaz – will he sparkle on the Swiss blueline and give Montreal a better bargaining position if they wish to move him at the trade deadline to make room for some of the prospects in Hamilton?
    Budaj – will he solidify his position as best back up in the league?
    Discuss.

36. The_Truth says:

I’m OK with the Olympic picks. You can’t go wrong really. Unlike some, I like the Kunitz pick. He is a great 2 way player and very smart around the net and amazing with Crosby.

I would have preferred St-Louis and Neal over Nash and Marleau, but in a 7 game tournament, those latter guys can be game breakers, so I’m not worried. I was puzzled about Carter, but then realised he can play Center as well, so the versatility is there.

Anyways, it’s very doubtful this will be the final team as some injuries are bound to come up before the break.

37. Mavid says:

The Sens homers are bashing Price..guess they are just a tad pissed that hardly any Sens players are on any Olympic team…asshats…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

38. JohabsJo says:

Canada has so many good players. Choosing players that didn’t make the Olympic roster, I made a Canada Team B: In no particular order.
    FORWARDS
    Brian Campbell Mark Giordano
    Mike Green Dan Boyle
    GOALTENDERS
    Corey Crawford
    Marc-Andre Fleury
    Josh Harding
    Think They could be a threat at the Olympics?

Didn’t realize Fowler was American. Replaced him with Kevin Bieksa and replaced Marchand for Jordan Staal.

39. munch17 says:

I think that if Louis Leblanc figures at all in the Habs plans he should be called up and given a chance to play with a couple of decent wingers and a regular shift.This would be a last chance for him and I would like to see him succeed.

• The_Truth says:

If he is called up, he will be on the 4th line with Moen and Prust. At least until White is healthy. I don’t expect much out of him in that situation, but he would be my call up, if one is made. Time is running out on him.

40. adamkennelly says:

so Galchenyuk is going to miss the next 4 weeks worth of games – Habs get a bit lucky on the last 2 weeks because of the Olympic break but regardless – for a team void of goal scoring – I’m not thrilled at the notion of Dumont or Leblanc or someone else being called up to take his spot…if there was ever a time to improve your team – NOW is the time…

I’m assuming that Stamkos will play RW along with Perry and Carter. Does that make Nash the 4th RW even though he shoots left? The only other right hand shot left is Bergeron. Is Canada going to be a bit weak on the right side?

42. jols101 says:

Really happy for Subban and Price. Can’t wait for the Olympics to start, it will be awesome.

Glachenyuk breaking his hand sucks ass. Best solution though is to move Bournival up to his spot and finally give him some decent ice-time and call up Dumont to play on the 4th line. Problem solved. Hope Chucky recovers quickly.

43. Bripro says:

Can someone tell me?
    I’m assuming that Denmark will not be putting a team on the ice in Sochi.
    Otherwise, you would think that Lars Eller would have been selected, right?
    A few NHL-calibre players, like Frans Nielsen and Peter Regin.
    Just wondering….

44. Luke says:

We’ve discussed the McGuire – Price/Brule/Kopitar thingymanjing a few times in the last couple weeks, so I searched exhaustively and dug this up:

I have no speakers, so if someone would be so kind as to describe what PM says for me. I remember him thjinking Price was a poor choice, we all do, but I’m guessing he gives a Brule OR Kopitar alternative since we seem to remember conflicting things here.

(Hopefully its the complete clip).

• Luke says:

Just watched (on my phone!)

Well, he rags on how bad a pick Price is (Theo, Dannis, Huet) mutters a bunch of “Oh Mys” and “Oh Mans” while everyone else is talking, but doesn’t actually state that Brule or Kopitar should have been chosen instead.

McKenzie says its a puzzling pick because of other needs and cites Marc Staal, Gilbert Brule and Anze Kopitar as prospects that better suit those needs.

“Off the reservation” is what McGuire called the pick. I wonder if he knew about Price’s heritage at that point?

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, that was EXTREMELY bizarre.

And I’m sure he knew about Price, because he knows everything about every player, young and old, and he loves them, and they love him, and they have dinner at their house with Pierre, who meets their grandparents.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Doesn’t he claim to know everything about every kid, thus the reason he announces during games what their moms stitched in their underwear for summer camp?

I can’t stand the guy, I can’t pretend not to be Biased, it was a stupid comment then and he continues to make them today.

So glad, so very glad he has nothing to do with the Habs.

• Mavid says:

Off the reservation…why am I not surpirsed…

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Habsrule1 says:

So tired of McGuire haters…wish you knew half what he knows.

Go Habs Go!!

• Mattyleg says:

I can’t tell one voice from the other.
      No idea who says it, but someone (probably Mr. Peanut) is raging that Price is a very bad fit, what with Theodore, Huet, and Yann Denis (pronounced Yon Doniss) giving great goaltending depth.

They just lost Garon and Brisebois, and only have Bonk as a big body down the centre.

“I don’t know about this, Montreal has so many other needs… VERY interesting, because of the fit.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DipsyDoodler says:

The other funny bit is so-called expert Bob McKenzie pontificating that you can just pick up a goalie via free agency.

How has that been working out for Paul Holmgrem?

Of recent cup winners Corey Crawford, Jonathan Quick, Antti Niemi, Marc-Andre Fleury, were all drafted by the team they won the cup with.

You can’t actually pick up a really good goalie via free agency because teams sign those guys.

• The_Truth says:

Maybe not in free agency, but good goalies are not that hard to come by through trade. Rask, Bishop, Bobrovsky, Bernier, Varlamov, Niemi, Lehtonen. Even guys like Mason, Andersen, Halak, Elliot, Schneider. All these guys are good goalies who were not drafted by their current teams.

Miller will be up for grabs as well. The Leafs snatched Bernier for nothing. He will be a top goalie in this league, if he isn’t already. It’s not that hard to pick up a good #1 goalie.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

From what I remember, he said the Habs’s organizational need was a big 1st line center not a goalie (had Theodore already). Kopitar was the big 1st line center.

BTW the Habs still don’t have a big 1st line center…unless 5’7″ is big…LOL

45. durocher says:

Props to Chucky for finishing the game last night with a broken hand. I’d call up Dumont, giving us:

Max-DD-Gally
    Briere-Pleks-Gio
    BournID-Eller-Bourque
    Moen-Dumont-Prust

46. scotland says:

let me see now….the devils did not want to retain gionta 5 years ago. usa hockey did not want him in 010, nor this year. yet the habs want him to play for, captain and lead the montreal canadiens??? want him to play the pp and the pk…. uh i see.

go figure,

• Habsrule1 says:

Gionta is a very good leader and he had some very good seasons. You can’t diss players on the basis that this team or that team doesn’t want him, much less the National Team. Canada doesn’t want Giroux on their roster, so I guess we shouldn’t want him on the Habs either?

Go Habs Go!!

• olematelot says:

What’s your point? There’s lots of players on every teams roster who aren’t going to Sochi. Does that make them bad players, get real!

• JUST ME says:

What he means is Gionta is not worth anything cause he does not score 50 goals per year. Habs fans do not notice small plays, the ones that contribute to defense or help team mates score, they only notice 50 goals scorers…sigh…

47. scotland says:

dumont is the best all around forward on the bull dogs. not even close. tanarsky brings alot of sandpaper and i would rank him 2nd on the dogs as far as who could help the habs.

pk will be offical captain next season. he is the unofficial captain now.

• Kooch7800 says:

Tarnasky is too slow for the NHL. He is barely fast enough to keep up in the AHL. Dumont has not played all that well this year in the AHL. Dumont plays with a lot of Jam and can have nice hands but he isn’t the same player this year he was last year. I am wondering if he is partially hurt.

Martin St Pierre has been their best all round forward. He is a career AHL’er now though so I would rather bring up Leblanc and let him dig on the third line on the boards.

We should give white a chance on the 4th line.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• CJ says:

Have you watched the bulldogs play this season? This is simply not an accurate statement. Dumont would fill a very specific need and could be effective if deployed in said spot, however the notation that he has been the best forward – not even close is grossly exaggerated.

48. scotland says:

more proof that if not for price and subban habs are a last place team. no where near a play off spot. which begs the question…what exactly are the coaches and supporting cast of players really contributing??

• Habsrule1 says:

It’s a team game. Price & Subban cannot win alone. Many players have contributed a lot to help get us wins. If you don’t know which players have contributed what, I suggest you start watching some games.

Go Habs Go!!

• olematelot says:

Ridiculous!! Look up the stats before posting such nonsense

49. scotland says:

agree with ya on nash. i would like couture over nask. having said that just heard that the entire coaching staff from 010 team thought nash was their best forward.

50. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Bobby Ryan tried to become a Canadian citizen in time to not make Team Canada. Didn’t work out. Should have contacted Slovenia…

51. Gerry H says:

Lost in the noise: Carey’s groin is acting up again. Worrying.

52. Habfan10912 says:

I assume Galchenyuk’s broken hand was s result of a slash. I’ll take a wild guess and say it went unpenalized.

53. kalevine says:

major bummer about Galchenyuk. I think it’s good news for Bournival though, who looked pretty good yesterday. Of the guys on the farm, I like the way Dumont plays – lots of enthusiasm and no fear – and hope he gets a chance on the big team

54. scotland says:

yzerman and company think more of pk than the great michelle(never won anything) therrien.

mt will want hab fans to believe that between oct 013 and dec of 013 that HE made PK Subban a better hockey player. lol

hey maybe mt should be on team canada. ….. ( ;

55. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

For all those ridiculing Lucic…wait till you see Kunitz screening the goalie on the PP.

56. The Jackal says:

I’m stoked that PK and Pricer made the team. I think Team Canada has the best D in the tournament and possibly the best goaltending if Price starts. It will be exciting to see how he plays with that kind of D in front of him. That being said, I think Rick Nash should have been excluded in favour of James Neal or Giroux. I’m also not a fan of Kunitz but Nash is the biggest question mark for me. Other than that I think they put together a really good team.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

57. krob1000 says:

saraorlesky: Optional skate for TBL. St.Louis is not taking part and will speak to the media post game. Stamkos is out there in red jersey

poor guy…this will cause a ridiculous amount of prodding by the media and it is probably about the last thing heneeds or deserves…

58. Bripro says:

According to TSN (live), team Canada will go with 7 D.
    And PK will be part of the second PP special teams. Therefore, using my powers of deductive reasoning, PK will be playing and not in a suit and tie, somewhere in the rafters, being attacked by racist radicals.

59. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Zuccarello = Norge!

60. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Hey ABHabsFan… I wasn’t taking the piss. I think it’s a good analogy. Just thought I’d foment another controversy. Bagels in Montréal are, after all, important cultural signifiers.

61. shiram says:

I deserve no credit for this as I picked it up from reddit, and their might be errors still.
    Players to the O from each NHL team:

Anaheim: Perry, Getzlaf, Selanne, Fowler, Hiller, Silfverburg, Vatanen

Boston: Rask, Chara, Eriksson, Bergeron, Krejci

Buffalo: Miller, Enroth, Girgensons, Tallinder

Calgary: Berra, Smid

Carolina: Faulk, Sekera, Ruutu

Chicago: Kane, Toews, Keith, Sharp, Hossa, Handzus, Kruger, Rosival, Hjalmarsson, Oduya

Colorado: Stastny, Landeskog, Duchene

Columbus: Gaborik, Bobrovsky, Anisimov

Detroit: Alfredsson, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Howard, Franzen, Tatar, Jurco, Ericsson, Datsyuk, Gustavsson

Dallas: Lehtonen, Benn, Nichushkin

Edmonton: Hemsky, Belov, Marincin

Florida: Barkov, Kopecky

LA: Quick, Brown, Carter, Doughty, Kopitar, Voynov

Minnesota: Parise, Suter, Koivu, Granlund, Niederreiter

Montreal: Pacioretty, Diaz, Subban, Budaj, Plekanec, Price, Markov, Emelin

Nashville: Weber, Josi

New Jersey: Brunner, Jagr, Elias, Zidlicky

New York Islanders: Vanek, Tavares, Grabner, Visnovsky

New York Rangers: Lundqvist, Callahan, Nash, Stepan, McDonagh, Hagelin, Zuccarello

Ottawa: Karlsson, Michalek

Philadelphia: Voracek, Streit, Meszaros, Timonen, Raffl

Phoenix: Smith, Hanzal, OEL, Korpikoski

Pittsburgh: Crosby, Malkin, Martin, Orpik, Kunitz, Jokinen, Maatta

San Jose: Pavelski, Niemi, Marleau, Vlasic

St Louis Backes, Oshie, Shattenkirk, Halak, Steen, Pietrangelo, Berglund, Sobotka, Tarasenko, Bouwmeester

Tampa: Stamkos, Panik, Salo, Filpula, Palat, Gudas

Toronto: Kessel, JVR, Kulemin

Winnipeg: Wheeler, Jokinen, Frolik, Pavelec

Washington: Ovechkin, Backstrom, Carlson

Vancouver: H. Sedin, D. Sedin, Kesler, Luongo, Edler, Weber, Hamhuis

Blues-10

Wings-10

Hawks-10

Habs-8

Rangers-7

Canucks-7

Ducks-7

Pens-7

Detroit Red Wings also sending 10 players to Sochi. Two goalies in that 10. 6 Players to Sweden.

63. krob1000 says:

Brule just cleared waivers

64. JUST ME says:

So 8 players from the Habs were selected for the olympics most of any canadian team, 55 points in the standing of the NHL most of any canadian team and still no reason to celebrate right ? Crappy team right ? Can`t wait for a good ole negative comment from TImo…sigh…

• dr. gesundheit says:

I’m guessing that the reason given will be that the Habs are represented on more Olympic teams than other Canadian NHL teams, and those other Olympic teams don’t have as high a standard (as Canada) when selecting.

65. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

“Food Russian Olympic hosts serve to Canada hockey player taste like metal, yes, as this is good for body! Iron very good for body, also aluminum and lead and many others! Eat! Makes you strong winning hockey player!”

66. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Luongo handles the puck like a hot bagel: St-Viateur or Fairmount?

• ABHabsfan says:

the “handles like a hand grenade” analogy is over used, I was looking for something new

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

67. jimmy shaker says:

Babcock will start luongo and says he wants to run with one guy, but Price will play the second game for team canada, for the sole fact that he will need to have some experience going forward for the 2018 Olympics as he will be the out and out clear number 1 starter for that squad!

Also, 7 D can dress, how many forwards dress? 13?

Pk will be the 7 D for sure. I thought the IIHF rules were primarily the same as the NHL rules, where PK would not even dress, but I think it’s a good fit for PK.

Shaker out!

How did all you guys find out that Luongo will heal perfectly already? High ankle sprains normally give players trouble, amazing how in just 2 days Bobby Lou is already healed!

• Psycho29 says:

It was in Dr.Recchi’s report… ;-)

• jimmy shaker says:

If it was more of an issue, then I don’t think the group would’ve named him. Babcock likes his vets, and likes experience, so for that, luongo will start, but Price will play the second game. I can’t see it going any other way.

Shaker out!

• Storman says:

Burly was it you that sent out the link to the BCS ESPN 50K article, man that guy must have been depressed watching that game, especially the lead being blown, and the back and forth last 5 minutes in Vegas, I hope he changed his mind before the game started and put a large bet down on FSU so he could at least have a some winnings either way the game finished.

Well this is kind of boring, no outrage at PK not making team……All that consternation for nothing it turns out.

69. EricInStL says:

It doesn’t matter who’s chosen to the olympic team as Putin will make sure Mother Russia wins…

Watch for sarin poisoning, mysterious stomach aches and assassinations if need it be…

Just go and watch Sudden death to get an idea of what could happen….

70. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

$1000 says Emelin will be playing on the left side NOT the right side like here…

71. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

While Luongo is the presumptive number 1, Price may steal the starter’s job. He’s playing confidently, and his numbers are better than Luongo’s so far this year. The only statistical category where Luongo has an edge is shutouts: 3-2. Otherwise, it’s Price by a hair. Although his 20-11-4 record is better than Luongo’s 16-10-6 in 2 fewer games. Anyhow… Luongo is a good Montreal boy! Let’s celebrate that!

72. Mattyleg says:

One very interesting thing will be the post-Olympic body-count.

How many injuries will there be to key players?

I’m sure there were some GMs breathing sighs of relief at overlooked players (from all countries).

—Hope Springs Eternal—

73. ABHabsfan says:

So I will be the first to address what everyone is thinking; can we get St. Louis from TB now that he clearly hates Yzerman? What would it take? Of course we need more smurfs, and French-Canadian no less

Who comes in for Galchenyuk? I haven’t followed the Dogs very closely, is it LL? Holland? C. Thomas?

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

74. shiram says:

St-Louis Blues are sending 10 players to the Olympics, and coach Ken Hitchcock and GM Doug Armstrong.
    Chicago is sending 9 players.

For those wondering if MTL was the team sending the most players to the O.