Habs’ Subban, Price headed to Sochi; Galchenyuk has broken hand

Canadiens fans can relax – and celebrate.

P.K. Subban was named to Team Canada for the Sochi Olympics on Tuesday morning along with Canadiens goaltender Carey Price. There was also good news for Canadiens defencemen Andrei Markov and Alexei Emelin, who were both named to Team Russia for the Olympics.

That means there will be eight members of the Canadiens taking part in the Sochi Games. The other four are Max Pacioretty (USA), Peter Budaj (Slovakia), Tomas Plekanec (Czech Republic) and Raphael Diaz (Switzerland).

But there was also some bad news for the Canadiens on Tuesday morning with the team announcing that Alex Galchenyuk suffered a broken hand in Monday’s 2-1 win over the Florida Panthers at the Bell Centre and will be sidelined for six weeks.

There had been plenty of speculation – and debate – heading into Tuesday’s press conference in Toronto officially announcing the Olympic team about whether Subban would make Team Canada, while Price appeared to be a lock for Sochi.

Price learned he had made Team Canada at 10:29 a.m. when he got a call from Kevin Lowe of the Team Canada management team. Lowe called Subban just as the defenceman was about to drive into the Canadiens’ practice facility in Brossard.

“I’m just grateful to have the opportunity to be able to play with the best players in the world, and play against them and learn from them,” Subban told reporters in Brossard after the Canadiens’ practice Tuesday morning.

Said Price: “I felt like I did what I could to earn a spot on the team and I think they felt the same way.”

As for being on Team Canada with Subban, the goaltender said: “He’s a really good friend of mine and I’m really happy that he’ll be able to share this experience with me.”

Team Canada general manager Steve Yzerman was asked at the Toronto press conference if there was ever any doubt about Subban making the team.

“There’s no doubt there’s a lot of good players, whether it’s goaltender, right defence, left defence, any of the positions,” Yzerman said. “We had some difficult decisions to make and so there was a lot of good players to choose from. This isn’t about any one individual. We had hard decisions to make and because we have so many tremendous players to choose from, that’s what makes it difficult.”

Later, in a one-on-one interview with TSN, James Duthie asked Yzerman about Subban being a “bubble player” when it came to making Team Canada.

“P.K. shoots the puck, obviously, his greatest strengths are his shot and his puck-handling,” Yzerman said. “We’ve watched very closely and ultimately it came down to the players we were looking at, he’s the right fit for that spot right now.

“I try to stay away from naming names, but we look at Brent Seabrook (of the Chicago Blackhawks, who didn’t make Team Canada). He played on our (Olympic) team in 2010, he has won two Stanley Cups since then … he’s a heckuva player. These are the types of decisions we’re making. We’re talking about two really good players here. We got to make a decision … we’re going with eight defencemen. We talked about going five rights and three lefts, or five lefts and three rights … going with seven defencemen and 15 forwards. … You’ve got to make decisions and ultimately you’re leaving very, very good players off the team.”

Here’s a look at the complete 25-man Team Canada roster:

Goaltenders: Roberto Luongo, Carey Price, Mike Smith.

Defence: Jay Bouwmeester, Drew Doughty, Dan Hamhuis, Duncan Keith, Alex Pietrangelo, P.K. Subban, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Shea Weber.

Forwards: Jamie Benn, Patrice Bergeron, Jeff Carter, Sidney Crosby, Matt Duchene, Ryan Getzlaf, Chris Kunitz, Patrick Marleau, Rick Nash, Corey Perry, Patrick Sharp, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Jonathan Toews.

Some of the star players who didn’t make Team Canada include Claude Giroux, James Neal, Joe Thornton, Eric Staal, Martin St. Louis, Logan Couture and Dan Boyle.

The Canadiens are back in action Wednesday night in Philadelphia against the Flyers (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Peter Budaj will start in goal after Price took a therapy day Tuesday and skipped practice. Brandon Prust also missed Tuesday’s practice for personal reasons and Ryan White remains sidelined with an upper-body injury. George Parros, who has been sidelined with a concussion, will be a game-time decision against the Flyers.

With Galchenyuk out of the lineup, Michael Bournival moved up to play on a line with Lars Eller and Rene Bourque at practice. Here’s how the lines looked Tuesday:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Bournival
Briere-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Parros

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Price and Subban excited to be on Team Canada, by Brenda Branswell

Olympics a perfect stage for Subban, by Dave Stubbs

No shortage of surprises on Team Canada, by Cam Cole of Postmedia News

Postmedia News live chat recap: Who made team Canada

Subban and Price named to Team Canada, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Plekanec ‘a little surprised’ to be named captain of Czech Republic team, by Dave Stubbs

Diaz, Plekanec headed to Sochi, by Pat Hickey

Saku Koivu won’t be part of Team Finland, NHL.com

Gionta scores winner against Panthers, by Pat Hickey

Habs go back to their roots against Panthers, by Pat Hickey

Habs vs. Panthers photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Price makes headlines south of border, Stu on Sports blog

Subban wins popularity vote with Habs fans, Stu on Sports blog

1,124 Comments

1. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

My insightful post about a certain Colorado Avalanche goaltender and his propensity for domestic contretemps seems to have been modded. Shame, too, as I also took a swipe at the beloved leader of this year’s Olympic host nation. Tant pis. Go Habs!

2. krob1000 says:

I wonder how long before Marty St Louis trade rumours start…poor gy..should have been there last time for sure…this time was definitely on the bubble but given the relationship, past snubbing,etc…I figured it was a no brainer and he was in

3. Propwash says:

It was pretty much set in stone that Lou was going to be no.1 in nets. It’s his job to lose at this point, so I’m not surprised.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t believe that a Number One has been announced.
      Yze only said that he wouldn’t be interested in rotating the goalies.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

4. Mattyleg says:

Only 3 Quebecers on Team Canada!
    Certainly puts St. Louis and Giroux ‘oversights’ into starker contrast…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

5. JohnBellyful says:

I can’t believe they didn’t pick Lucic.
    What’s the team gonna do when a fight breaks out?

6. RAM_TOUGH says:

WTF is your problem hobie?

Guts-Glory-Ram

So who do Habs call up to replace Galchenyuk? I also hope it doesn’t mean Prust or Moen on the third line. These guys are 4th liners and they do a good job as 4th liners. Not so much on any other line.

• 24 Cups says:

Bournival seems to be the logical choice to replace Galchenyuk.

Any call up from Hamilton should be 4th line material, especially someone who can play centre.

8. jimmy shaker says:

So he made the team…..obviously! I was 21 for 25. I had….

Thronton
    Giroux
    St.louis
    Seabrook

Now here is the question…..how does PK play on the right side ahead of Doughty, Pietrangelo, Weber? The only thing I can think of for Pk to be in the top 6 is if one of the aforementioned will play on their opposite side, meaning Hamuis and Vlasic are the 2 D out.

Shaker out!

• 24 Cups says:

Vlasic is probably going to play regular minutes, maybe with Weber. I figure Subban has to be the 7th guy. Teams can dress 7 Dmen for each game.

• habstrinifan says:

I am not taking bets but let’s see. Subban has always stepped up at any level and surpassed the original intentions of his coaches… including those here in Mtl.

Let’s wait and see.

Is Rick Nash the next Eric Lindros?

10. Subban in Sochi says:

More Francophones on the stage than there will be in Sochi. Ouch.

Team Canada needs to subcontract out its announcements to the Canadiens Marketing team. It was painful listening to this “production” on the radio.

The best way to “thank” everyone would be a classy & simple…and snappy…ceremony. That would be far better for ALL the players-those named to the team-and those not named. 21 minutes before a (player) name was said. Very weak. The game will be won (or lost) on the ice. Too much fanfare about non-players.

Juniors. Women’s team. Now men’s team. Team Canada needs to reevaluate its reevaluation.

“Cannonading drive!!”

11. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Three Leafs going to Sochi: Kulemin, Kessel, Van Riemsdyk. Three Oilers. Two Flames. Two Senators. Seven Canucks. Eight Habs. Most of any Canadian team.

12. Say Ash says:

Guess what? Our much-derided defensive corp has four Olympians.

13. icemachine says:

I definitely would have had St. Louis in there, along with Giroux and Couture before he needed surgery – Dropping Nash, Kunitz & Carter

• JUST ME says:

We could have made 2 teams with all the canadian talent. That`s why there is place for discussion and doubts but the lineup is still quite impressive.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

That´s true but Giroux and St.Louis over Nash and Kunitz should have been a no brainer, especially on the bigger ice. Kunitz is not even Pittsburgh´s best Canadian winger btw.

14. JUST ME says:

It was certain that there would be tough choices to make and unhappy campers. Just by looking at the roster i am impressed though . Man look at this !
    Steven Stamkos had a very severe injury and i am not sure that his selection is a very wise decision although he his my favorite NHL player. He will give everything for the team but i am not certain that he will be back at 100 % nor am i convinced that Rick Nash is back as the Rick Nash we know and fear.

Still it`s a pretty impressive lineup !

15. habstrinifan says:

@HabinBurlington.

I agreed with Bripro re not ‘liking’ some of the picks/misses. But I am not in agreement that Canada CANNOT win gold.

• 24 Cups says:

I agree. There were no real surprises in goal or on the defense.
      Up front there were 20 players who could have easily made the team. About ten of them were locks so that leaves ten players vying for four spots. The difference between those who make it and those who don’t is minimal. The only real shocker is St Louis.

Isn’t the biggest shocker about St. Louis not making it because of Yzerman? St. Louis didn’t make the Vancouver team, while I think he could easily make the present team, i am not sure 4 years older would have him on the team.

I think this could really hurt the mood in the Tampa dressing room, given St. Louis has been carrying the team in Stamkos absence.

16. RAM_TOUGH says:

Sorry Guys according to Babcock Price won’t be the # 1 goalie!

Guts-Glory-Ram

17. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I don’t ever remember Gretkzy or Lemieux needing specific players to play with them. Kunitz was even the next best Penguin…James Neal was.

Still can’t believe Yzerman screwed over St. Louis. The guy has carried his team this season and past seasons. If you have no loyalty, then what do you have??? Like I said earlier, I would not play for this guy after a move like this.

18. krob1000 says:

Galchenyuk news may prompt a deal…it should…onyl thing that may sae it is the Olympic break will eat a bit of that injury time so in a sense lucky I guess. Still think they may have to do something though…scoring from the wing has been trouble all year

19. Bun E. Laroque says:

I know few would agree with me but I would have Seguin on there. Him and Benn are strong together and hes fast.

20. RAM_TOUGH says:

Ha, no Toronto Maple Leaf on Team Canada …

Guts-Glory-Ram

21. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

1. Playing the Flyers next. Do we need truculence from the farm to replace Galchenyuk? 2. Except for Kevin Lowe — whose Oilers are shocking — the management and coaching staff of Team Canada are pretty good at their jobs. I am going to believe that they have put together a team which they feel will compete and win. I hope not to be proven wrong. That being said, the Russians have a dangerous roster and Putin on their side, and I would be surprised if they don’t win gold.

22. krob1000 says:

Alternate Team of guys not on team
    Neal-Thornton-Giroux
    Hall-Seguin-St Louis
    Skinner-Spezza-Eberle
    Mike Richards-Ryan Oreilly-Eric Staal

Seabrook-Boyle
    B Campbell-Byfuglien
    Letang-Giordano

Despite the fact some of us may not like 1, 2 or 3 selections, that is still a very very fine group of players chosen to represent Canada.

I can’t believe people don’t think this team doesn’t have a chance at a Gold. No matter who we chose, it will be a crapshoot to win as the talent world wide is that good.

But this time has as good a chance as any team there.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Canada are far and away the best team on paper.

Russia will be great on attack but their D and goalie will be the problem.

Team USA has, by my reckoning, 2 players who would might have made the Canadian squad: Suter and Kane.

Sweden are very strong with no weak points in the lineup.

• Mattyleg says:

ANY TEAM THAT DOESN’T INCLUDE ALL OF MY PERSONAL FAVOURITE PLAYERS WILL NEVER WIN GOLD.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

24. habstrinifan says:

Yzerman.. he’s .. he’s .. he’s.. he’s… the right player for that spot.

Doesn’t sound convinced.

25. Storman says:

Yzerman passing his audition of being a GM in a drunken stupor

26. Gerry H says:

Biggest surprise for me is Giroux. Depth at RW?

27. DipsyDoodler says:

What everyone said re: St.Louis.

28. BJ says:

I would like to have seen Thornton in there.

29. Storman says:

Holy FFFFFFFF Crap,, Yzerman can not speak any worse, he is a complete vocal ear ache, and eye sore on TV can he blink anymore, lift your head up dude…

30. CJ says:

Back to the business of our Canadiens. Any update on a replacement for Chucky?

31. shiram says:

No one is asking the tough, important question :

If Price wins a game, and Subban is on the ice, do we get the return of the triple low 5?

32. twilighthours says:

Gotta go to a *$#@%@ meeting. Love the D, the forwards are a bit puzzling.

Congrats to Carey and especially P.K. Well deserved.

Get with you folks later.

33. habstrinifan says:

Honestly how can Marleau be picked ahead of St. Louis?

• Forum Dog says:

I think its a RW issue. Marleau plays the LW (I think), and they have Carter, Sharp and Perry there already. That said, I could have seen a scenario where St. Louis was picked ahead of Carter…

Galchenyuk breaks his hand and is gone for six weeks.

35. Forum Dog says:

Not at all surprised that Subban made it. As far as I can tell, he is better than either Doughty or Pietrangelo as far as RH defencemen go. Price may not go in as the incumbent, but he’ll give Luongo a run for the #1 job. He is lights out right now.

The names I was a bit surprised at were Nash and Marleau at forward, and Vlasic and Hamhuis on D. I know they need to fill certain positions, but I figured someone like Taylor Hall might get the chance before Nash.

If there are depth issues on the Canadian team (which there really are not), they are on the left side at both D and forward….

36. Walmyr says:

So Bourque would be playing for Canada right now if Crosby was his center?…

Now after the fact Dreger says he isnt surprised St. Louis not on team, yet 25 minutes ago he says otherwise.

I really hope the fencepost rammed up Dregers Ass would just finally snap.

38. RetroMikey says:

I got a bad vibe for this team.
    Where is Giroux, St. Louis and Neal?
    Skaters who can play on the bigger ice level.
    This team is not a gold medal contender, period.
    Like how they picked Benn and Duchesne, but Seabrooke should have been selected on the D.
    Kunitz and Carter? Wow, Yzerman will have to answer if they fail in Sochi.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

39. Say Ash says:

Pleks
    Budaj
    Patches
    Markov
    Emmy
    Diaz
    Subban
    Price

Is that right?

40. Chuck says:

Kunitz over St. Louis?

*scratches head*

No surprise on the D or in net but a few head scratchers up front.

Kunitz I totally understand but Carter and Nash are basically the same thing. No St Louis is the biggest surprise of the day. I can’t believe that Yzerman didn’t discuss it with him before hand.

Teams can dress 7Dmen so I’m guessing that makes Subban and Hamhuis 7th and 8th.

42. BJ says:

Budaj in for Slovakia.

I have no issue with St. Louis not making the team, but how does Kunitz/Nash make the team?

Nash is big and no longer plays fearless, his skating is not that superior, would much rather Giroux be on that team.

• BJ says:

Nash made it probably due to his past services rendered at World Championships.

• habstrinifan says:

I would pick St. Louis ahead of Giroux. And I am agreeing with McKenzie re the effect on TAMPA. For Yzerman to excuse himself when it came to St. Louis/Marleau decision is cowardly. I never figured Yzerman to be this timid.

St. Louis, regardless of the fact that Yzerman was his GM,… St. Louis upped his game and deserved the selection. This is CRAP!

• monmick says:

Given St-Louis’s age, maybe it’s in Yzerman’s best interest to have Marty rest for a couple of weeks mid-season…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• RetroMikey says:

Sometimes having smaller players like St. Louis will perform much better than bigger players on a bigger ice surface when competing in the Olympics or international level.
      Yzerman and company really did not do their homework when selecting this team.
      Skating and skill is so important in Sochi to build a winner, not the NHL as we can attest with teams like the Kings, Sharks and the Blues to name a few.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

44. Bripro says:

So here they are:

Forwards:
    Jamie Benn (Dallas)
    Patrice Bergeron (Boston)
    Jeff Carter (Los Angeles)
    Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh)
    Matt Duchene (Colorado)
    Ryan Getzlaf (Anaheim)
    Chris Kunitz (Pittsburgh)
    Patrick Marleau (San Jose)
    Rick Nash (Rangers)
    Corey Perry (Anaheim)
    Patrick Sharp (Chicago)
    Steven Stamkos (Tampa Bay)
    John Tavares (Islanders)
    Jonathan Toews (Chicago)

Defencemen:
    Jay Bouwmeester (St. Louis)
    Drew Doughty (Los Angeles)
    Dan Hamhuis (Vancouver)
    Duncan Keith (Chicago)
    Alex Pietrangelo (St. Louis)
    P.K. Subban (Montréal) – ***** ALL HAIL TEAM CANADA!!!
    Marc-Édouard Vlasic (San Jose)
    Shea Weber (Nashville)

Goalies:
    Roberto Luongo (Vancouver)
    Carey Price (Montréal)
    Mike Smith (Phoenix)

I’m not sure what Yzerman is looking for, and I have to admit that the Western bias isn’t as obvious this time around but there are a few I would have left off:

Marleau – Isn’t he a little long on the tooth, and slow on the ice?
    Kunitz – Yeah, yeah, chemistry with Crosby, blah blah (DD would have been just as good a candidate)

Seriously, I would have taken Marty St Louis over either of these two. That’s two snubs in a row for the NHL’s top-5 point getter. Pretty sad, really.

45. Cal says:

My choice for weakest Team Canada picks:
    1. Kunitz- you gotta be kidding, right?
    2. Marleau- did he do this with mirrors?
    3. Hamhuis- and Hab fans were worried about PK when this guy is picked?

Biggest snubs: A tie between Martin St-Louis and Claude Giroux. Next up: Seabrook.

• Gerry H says:

Hamhuis won a spot by virtue of being a lefty. Very short supply.

• Strummer says:

According to Pierre Maguire, Crosby had a big say in Kunitz’ inclusion.
      Might not be fair but it does make sense. They have chemistry right now

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Mattyleg says:

According to Pierre McGuire, he’s everyone’s best friend, and everyone loves him, and he loves their families and goes over to their houses for dinner all the time.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• 24 Cups says:

Hamhuis is LD, Seabrook is RD. If Seabrook is in then Subban is out.

• Cal says:

I have to say that the “righty lefty” D argument is so much bs. The best should be there and Hamhuis is not in the conversation as a top 8 Canadian Dman.

• Bripro says:

Agreed on all three snubs. I had forgotten to mention Giroux.
      And Hamhuis? Seabrook is far more effective.
      I tried to edit my comment to reflect this, but the little editing monkeys have left the building.

46. habstrinifan says:

Some of the joy of P.K selection has gone outta me. I think Martin St. Lous has to be there. And some of the D are not deserving their selection.

47. Walmyr says:

Kunitz out….Neal in, please?

Who was the idiot reporter that asked what other teams are you worried about? Was it a reporter from E News?

49. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Kunitz and Nash better score…

50. BJ says:

A quick question for anyone that might know. What happens if any of the 25 players get injured beyond this roster announcement. Are they allowed to fill in with others not named today?

51. D Man says:

Blah, blah, blah, blah blah, blah etc., By the way here are the 25 players. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Go P.J. Chance to finally quiet the nay sayers!

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

52. chanchilla says:

now we can bring back the triple low 5.

53. HABZ24 says:

What a team,who can beat us,pk will rock it with his rocket from the point !!

GO HABS GO

54. Garbo says:

Why has this not been reported on here?

Galchenyuk out 6 weeks

55. monmick says:

Chucky out 6 weeks with broken hand? Is that true?

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

56. Mattyleg says:

SportsNet just showed a brief clip of Martin St. Louis highlights.

It’s a disgrace that he wasn’t named.

I’m leaning towards Quebec Independence after that.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Those jackets are gross. Look like they were designed by Harper.

58. nickster13 says:

I like the team except for 4 players.
    Rick Nash – Done nothing all year, a shadow of his former self
    Patrick Marleau – Average at best, will be ineffective on bigger ice
    Jeff Carter – Big and slow and can’t score anymore either
    Jamie Benn – Good, but young and unproven, I prefered others.

No St. Louis is a sham, you can justify Kunitz for Crosby, but not St. Louis for Stamkos?

Furthermore, Canada doesn’t seem to get that you can’t win on big ice with the skillsets that work in the NHL. The world juniors have proven the need for speed, passing ability and effort, I dont think those 4 men above and some others, exemplify those traits.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the Rocket!”

59. AZ_Hab_Fan says:

Stamkos? Will he be healed?

60. Habsrule1 says:

“and it was never in doubt.”

– Dave Van Horne

Go Habs Go!!

61. Marleau, Nash, and Kunitz

OK then fourth line, sit there and look pretty.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

62. secretdragonfly says:

Show ‘em how it’s done, PK!

63. Mattyleg says:

Looking a bit lean on the left side…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

64. habs-fan-84 says:

So, no Seabrook…

65. Mondou6 says:

What was the purpose of the banquet table on the stage?

It reminded me of a wedding reception. I kept clinking my fork on my glass, but no one kissed each other.

66. Adidess says:

Did PK get the biggest cheer?

Yes, but maybe this is due to the bubble talk.

67. habs-fan-84 says:

Marleau, Nash, Kunitz and Carter make it…

68. CJ says:

Sharp, Marleau and Nash….I’m surprised!

Never in doubt.

Don’t like Nash, Kunitz on team, dodgy on Marleau making it.

71. Mavid says:

YEA PK….

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

72. habstrinifan says:

Intriguing thought.

73. Grimmly says:

Tarnasky really?

74. shiram says:

You are likely to be disappointed then.
    Leblanc, Thomas or Dumont are all more likely to get called up.

Heck even maybe St-Pierre could get it.

75. Forum Dog says:

It seems fitting actually. His game had not been good recently, he was playing 10 minutes or less most nights and very little at all in the 3rd. Deep in the depths of the “sophomore slump”. He’ll come back stronger and re-energized, right in time for the playoffs and (with any luck) and improved roster spot…

76. Cal says:

It’s snubbed, not subbed.

77. Forum Dog says:

I’m rooting for Leblanc or Thomas, particularly the former. He’s played well down there, has a bit more size and physicality, and might be a better third line compliment (since that is where he is likely to land). Not sure his hands are up to snuff, but I think he deserve a shot.

78. habstrinifan says:

They named 3 goaltenders(Price Luongo Smith) no designated starter.

79. shiram says:

9g/10a in 32 games for Leblanc.

80. ont fan says:

He said he would prefer not to rotate goalies.

81. RAM_TOUGH says:

And?

Guts-Glory-Ram

82. RAM_TOUGH says:

He said he was not going to

Guts-Glory-Ram

83. DipsyDoodler says:

I think you missed a couple of clichés there.

84. Forum Dog says:

Yeah, not great offensive numbers, but second on the team in scoring (sad but true) and a RH shot for the right side and plays two-way hockey. I don’t think there is anyone on the farm currently who can come in and provide an offensive boost, so really they should just be looking for someone who can play the wing, not be a liability, and chip in occasionally. It could be Blunden or Dumont I guess, but I would like to see them continue to work on Leblanc’s development at the NHL level.

85. Forum Dog says:

Hardly. Just saying it was a fitting end to what had been a pretty miserable stretch for the youngster.

86. Cal says:

That’s subbed, not snubbed. Geez, get it right, will ya?

87. Maksimir says:

Yeah – they take the term ‘suicide pass’ to a whole other level.

88. krob1000 says:

at the time I would have agreed

89. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Nope…Kopitar

90. Strummer says:

This is what post-game pressers should be – some honesty,controversy, no softball questions.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

91. frontenac1 says:

Is Crankshaft playing for the Swedes?

92. GrimJim says:

I’m pretty sure that on the 2005 draft show McGuire was saying that Brule should have been the Habs choice.
    He might be saying now that the HAbs should have picked Kopitar…

93. Luke says:

I linked a YouTube above… not sure if has Pierre’s complete analysis as I have no sound right now.

94. christophor says:

I hope so for Canada’s sake, but I think a nuclear apocalypse is more likely.

95. Mattyleg says:

“Dear Matty, I’m so not happy here in Tampa Bay. They left me off Team Canada and I feel like I need to get back to my roots, if you know what I mean. By the way, thanks so much for the poster of CHOM’s Top 500 Rock Songs of All Time that you sent me for Christmas. I agree with you, btw, there is no way that Comfortably Numb is better than Stairway to Heaven. Take it easy, your friend 4evzzz, Mar-Mar.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

96. Chrisadiens says:

Bahahah! “Mar-Mar”

Well done Matty.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

97. johnnylarue says:

I’m temporarily coming out of retirement to applaud this post.

98. Bripro says:

Excellent!
    BTW, both songs are on my iPhone. :)

99. Habcouver says:

#slowrepeatedclap

Waiting patiently for #25

100. Habfan10912 says:

I think HF72 er ah Dipsy might get a commission from those boys.

101. Eddie says:

HF 72 is Dipsy?

102. Habfan10912 says:

HIO rumor has it. Unconfirmed. :)

103. shiram says:

The unfair advantage rule.

I think he played for Mexico in qualifiers and now not allowed to play for USA. Yes?

105. Habfan10912 says:

It was an oversight which I’m sure will be rectified shortly.

106. ABHabsfan says:

Patches, unfortunately

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

107. Chris says:

You’re assuming he’s going to get on the ice. I have a sneaky feeling he might be limited to 7th defenceman/PP duty, even though I think he should be out there. (I’d play him with Shea Weber on the left side…Weber is a veteran and should have no trouble playing his off side…he did a lot of it in Nashville on the power play, at the very least).

I will be hoping it’s Diaz.

109. ABHabsfan says:

F-U. I mean that in the nicest possible way

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

110. JohnBellyful says:

For Gomez to make the U.S. team? I think you mean rectumfied, Jim.

111. Habfan10912 says:

Yeah that’s quite a reach that the reigning Norris Trophy winner will be on the ice.

112. Chris says:

Personally, I’m not a big fan of that type of personality in life. But I just think it is so overblown on both sides. He is cocky and brash, and it is simply not a big deal. It isn’t even a little deal, except for those few times when he loses his focus on the game and hurts the team. Fortunately, those episodes are relatively few and far between.

Does everybody in the league love him? Of course not. He’s annoying as hell. But he’s personable and articulate in interviews, and he is supremely skilled.

113. Mavid says:

I must have missed that part because I have never seen him to be either cocky or brash..on or off the ice..he chirps like any other player..thats it

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

114. twilighthours says:

I wonder if people find you cocky or brash?

115. Chris says:

Not even remotely, in real life. In reality, my friends all complain that I am the guy that typically lets other people walk all over him. Cocky is not a word that usually gets associated with me.

I do, unfortunately, have more than my fair share of arrogance. But at least I can admit it, right? :)

116. frontenac1 says:

Cocky and Brash. Man,those were the days amigos. Now, my Cocky ain’t so brash.

117. twilighthours says:

Why not?

118. frontenac1 says:

Siberia?

It’s South Korea and there is a major time zone difference.

120. habstrinifan says:

I dont know!
    All I know there’s something fishy.
    I dont want to play the race card. But when will Jamaica or Trinidad get to hold the Winter Olympics?

121. Hobie Hansen says:

People in Montreal seem to have a problem understanding that a big, strong, power forward is more valuable than a speedy little point producer.

122. Chris says:

Both are good players. I just happen to think that St. Louis is better.

123. adadi says:

Explain please. Not getting the reference.

124. jimmy shaker says:

He’s got doughty and weber ahead of him, and then the chemistry of bouwmeester/pietrangelo to deal with. So the only way I see him in top 6 status is if one of the aforementioned right d-men move over and play on their opposite side which Babcock doesn’t like and most of these guys haven’t done it too often. So I think the only way he get’s top six is through injury. He will be more than likely the 7 d man with spot minutes and PP time primarily.

Shaker out!

125. Chris says:

Or maybe they just have a certain admiration for a speedy little point producer who has been among the most prolific scorers in the game for the past decade?

For the love of all that is holy, we’re talking Martin St. Louis here, not Desharnais or Diaz. St. Louis is one of the best players in the NHL, and he’s one of the tougher players to play against. None of his peers question the toughness, skill or production of Martin St. Louis. That works for me.

We’re not talking about the Montreal Canadiens, either. I would take Benn over St. Louis because he represents something Montreal needs.

But Team Canada has plenty of size: Toews (6’2″, 208 lbs.), Tavares (6’1″, 205), Perry (6’1″, 212), Nash (6’4″, 213), Marleau (6’2″, 220), Getzlaf (6’4″, 221) and Carter (6’4″, 212) have that department covered.

I really should have said St. Louis over Nash, as they are both RW. But I chose Benn because he is young and will have more shots at it. I’m not sure that interchanging those two guys would have much of an impact.

126. twilighthours says:

Antigua first, man.

127. twilighthours says:

You do have a certain… Je ne sais quoi… edge. It’s one of your endearing qualities.

128. habstrinifan says:

But are you a ‘thoroughbred’? Therrien wants to know.

129. Hobie Hansen says:

Sorry I agree with Steve Yzerman. Go with the best player that can help the team not a sympathy pick based on age and years of service.

130. adadi says:

Too much racism guys. Watch out or I’ll have to call Stevie Y to mediate.

131. habstrinifan says:

See you guys are stealing/wrecking my story which I was gonna tell after I read Sportfan’s post whch had me cackling, “P.K doesnt get service at the arena”. I could do a whole routine on that.

132. frontenac1 says:

I Wish my Cocky was still brash.

133. adadi says:

My apologies…please proceed.

134. Chris says:

I think the hotel owners of South Korea are probably hoping that the NHL players don’t come too! :)

135. olematelot says:

China will keep the nut job in line

136. Chris says:

Watch him live…he’s a hoot. It is actually very entertaining to watch Subban if you can get down near ice level because he just never, ever stops talking. And taunting. And boasting. And chirping. It is incessant.

I remember an interview with Malcolm Subban where he was asked about the treatment of P.K. by peers around the league. He sort of laughed and said that he and Jordan both had a hard time putting up with P.K. sometimes, so they could understand how others might find him frustrating. :)

137. Le Jadester says:

I don’t get that pick either ?

Habs, OLE !

138. Mavid says:

bahahahahaha

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

139. olematelot says:

I haven’t checked but what is the average age of the team. Marty’s been a great player but maybe age played a part.

I’m not sure but it might just be falling in Toronto. The laffs are now just two points ahead of three teams for the last playoff spot.

Contrast that with the Flyers who started the season 1-7 and are now 22-17-4. They are 8-2 during their last ten games. No Price or Galchenyuk with Parros, Murray and Bouillon in the line-up tonight. Yikes!

Somebody ring up Mike Boone so he can lay down his reverse jinx for tonight’s game.

141. Danno says:

I’m afraid we’ll need the mother of all reverse jinxes for tonight

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

142. DipsyDoodler says:

2 regulation wins in their last 23.

143. dr. gesundheit says:

Playing at home against a gutsy Islanders team playing their 2nd game in 2 nights and coming off a big win the night before.