Habs’ Subban, Price headed to Sochi; Galchenyuk has broken hand

Canadiens fans can relax – and celebrate.

P.K. Subban was named to Team Canada for the Sochi Olympics on Tuesday morning along with Canadiens goaltender Carey Price. There was also good news for Canadiens defencemen Andrei Markov and Alexei Emelin, who were both named to Team Russia for the Olympics.

That means there will be eight members of the Canadiens taking part in the Sochi Games. The other four are Max Pacioretty (USA), Peter Budaj (Slovakia), Tomas Plekanec (Czech Republic) and Raphael Diaz (Switzerland).

But there was also some bad news for the Canadiens on Tuesday morning with the team announcing that Alex Galchenyuk suffered a broken hand in Monday’s 2-1 win over the Florida Panthers at the Bell Centre and will be sidelined for six weeks.

There had been plenty of speculation – and debate – heading into Tuesday’s press conference in Toronto officially announcing the Olympic team about whether Subban would make Team Canada, while Price appeared to be a lock for Sochi.

Price learned he had made Team Canada at 10:29 a.m. when he got a call from Kevin Lowe of the Team Canada management team. Lowe called Subban just as the defenceman was about to drive into the Canadiens’ practice facility in Brossard.

“I’m just grateful to have the opportunity to be able to play with the best players in the world, and play against them and learn from them,” Subban told reporters in Brossard after the Canadiens’ practice Tuesday morning.

Said Price: ”I felt like I did what I could to earn a spot on the team and I think they felt the same way.”

As for being on Team Canada with Subban, the goaltender said: ”He’s a really good friend of mine and I’m really happy that he’ll be able to share this experience with me.”

Team Canada general manager Steve Yzerman was asked at the Toronto press conference if there was ever any doubt about Subban making the team.

“There’s no doubt there’s a lot of good players, whether it’s goaltender, right defence, left defence, any of the positions,” Yzerman said. “We had some difficult decisions to make and so there was a lot of good players to choose from. This isn’t about any one individual. We had hard decisions to make and because we have so many tremendous players to choose from, that’s what makes it difficult.”

Later, in a one-on-one interview with TSN, James Duthie asked Yzerman about Subban being a “bubble player” when it came to making Team Canada.

“P.K. shoots the puck, obviously, his greatest strengths are his shot and his puck-handling,” Yzerman said. “We’ve watched very closely and ultimately it came down to the players we were looking at, he’s the right fit for that spot right now.

“I try to stay away from naming names, but we look at Brent Seabrook (of the Chicago Blackhawks, who didn’t make Team Canada). He played on our (Olympic) team in 2010, he has won two Stanley Cups since then … he’s a heckuva player. These are the types of decisions we’re making. We’re talking about two really good players here. We got to make a decision … we’re going with eight defencemen. We talked about going five rights and three lefts, or five lefts and three rights … going with seven defencemen and 15 forwards. … You’ve got to make decisions and ultimately you’re leaving very, very good players off the team.”

Here’s a look at the complete 25-man Team Canada roster:

Goaltenders: Roberto Luongo, Carey Price, Mike Smith.

Defence: Jay Bouwmeester, Drew Doughty, Dan Hamhuis, Duncan Keith, Alex Pietrangelo, P.K. Subban, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Shea Weber.

Forwards: Jamie Benn, Patrice Bergeron, Jeff Carter, Sidney Crosby, Matt Duchene, Ryan Getzlaf, Chris Kunitz, Patrick Marleau, Rick Nash, Corey Perry, Patrick Sharp, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Jonathan Toews.

Some of the star players who didn’t make Team Canada include Claude Giroux, James Neal, Joe Thornton, Eric Staal, Martin St. Louis, Logan Couture and Dan Boyle.

The Canadiens are back in action Wednesday night in Philadelphia against the Flyers (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Peter Budaj will start in goal after Price took a therapy day Tuesday and skipped practice. Brandon Prust also missed Tuesday’s practice for personal reasons and Ryan White remains sidelined with an upper-body injury. George Parros, who has been sidelined with a concussion, will be a game-time decision against the Flyers.

With Galchenyuk out of the lineup, Michael Bournival moved up to play on a line with Lars Eller and Rene Bourque at practice. Here’s how the lines looked Tuesday:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Bourque-Eller-Bournival
Briere-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Parros

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Price and Subban excited to be on Team Canada, by Brenda Branswell

Olympics a perfect stage for Subban, by Dave Stubbs

No shortage of surprises on Team Canada, by Cam Cole of Postmedia News

Postmedia News live chat recap: Who made team Canada

Subban and Price named to Team Canada, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Plekanec ‘a little surprised’ to be named captain of Czech Republic team, by Dave Stubbs

Diaz, Plekanec headed to Sochi, by Pat Hickey

Saku Koivu won’t be part of Team Finland, NHL.com

Gionta scores winner against Panthers, by Pat Hickey

Habs go back to their roots against Panthers, by Pat Hickey

Habs vs. Panthers photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Price makes headlines south of border, Stu on Sports blog

Subban wins popularity vote with Habs fans, Stu on Sports blog

1,124 Comments

1. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hello all.

Great chat in the brief scan which is all I can afford at the moment. McGuire, MSL, Sochi, Flyers.

Very conflicted about MSL. I believe he would add to and not detract from the team. However, part of me also feels that he deserves a place as a reward for what a great player he has been for so long — and maybe the whole reward things is dangerous and what Stevie Y and co. are obliged to filter out of the reckoning. Would I be correct in saying that in previous Olympics fans like us were furious about old campaigners getting the nod ahead of brilliant newcomers? Still, the sting of it for me is how the injured Stamkos gets a place ahead of him.

(Or, now that “Team Canada Snub for Subban” didn’t happen, we’re just transferring our perennial HIO rage to someone else’s case?!)

McGuire: encyclopedic hockey knowledge, very media-savvy, apparently a good guy (according to some here). Just maybe not genuine GM material — on which perhaps Habs fans are extra touchy since at one stage he seemed like a genuine contender. Close call; give me MB any day.

I wanted Parros to retire. I hope and pray nothing happens to him.

I am nearly ALWAYS delighted when the back-up gets a game — such an important investment. NOBODY can stay sharp and 100% when they’re on permanent, uninterrupted stand-by. Let’s hope we bring our “Dallas” game: the Flyers’ resurgence looks real and they are ticking a lot of boxes.

Let’s hope Bournival stays calm and doesn’t try to capitalise on his new opportunity all in one go. I think this could be the making of him.

Anyone have any news of Bill of UCE?

Did anyone see Kassian’s goal two nights ago?!

2. Phil C says:

Bob Mckenzie thinks Subban is asking for between $8-9M per, and he thinks the Habs will not be happy about it. So strap in for another drawn out negotiation, except PK is the one with leverage this time with a Norris trophy and arbitration rights.

I think they’ll have to go 8 for 8 with the new cap. Still not bad for what he brings.

• Timo says:

And wait until he lights it up at the Olympics. Bergevin is an idiot trying to play a wait and see game. Subban is not going to go for less and the only thing Bergevin will achieve is finally really pissing Subban off.

• Mattyleg says:

You guys (Timo and Big Bob) make me laugh for thinking that you have any idea what is going on.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Phil C says:

I find that Big Bob is usually pretty reliable. In fact he has often ticked me off in the past because he is always right, even when it sounds stupid. He called the lock out when I thought there is no way they could be that greedy, could they? Without even negotiating first? C’mon Bob. Nope, he was right. He called no suspension for Chara which seemed impossible to me at the time, I mean, the NHL are not complete idiots are they? He nearly killed him FFS. Surely Bob is wrong this time? Nope. He even held his ground with Ward running around the set “breaking” the Iginla trade to Boston. Curse you Bob Mckenzie and your Subban predictions.

• Mattyleg says:

I’m not so sure about this one, though.
            The lockout I can understand because there were so many parties involved, but I doubt that either Subban or Bergevin is letting anyone in on their thoughts, and Subby’s agent knows better than to talk.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• ont fan says:

I’m with Matty!

• Phil C says:

Bergevin hedged and lost with Subban, but at least they know what they have now, so it wasn’t a complete waste.

• Cal says:

MB didn’t hedge. The Habs were too close to the cap last season and this to give PK the star money he will get beginning 2014/15. He will get $8mil +/season and likely for 8 years.
          I disagree with Mckenzie that the Habs will be unhappy about it. The price for a player of Subban’s quality is $8mil + yearly. Half of his salary will be regained by Tshirt and jersey and toque sales.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep.
            You can’t have a star then be unhappy that he costs a lot.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Phil C says:

“You can’t have a star then be unhappy that he costs a lot.”

You can if you over pay. It does not matter how good or bad a player is, if you over pay, you devalue the asset. They have to get the value right.

• Eddie says:

I had Subban signed for 6 years 5 million instead of the Bridge contract. I think he would have grabbed that deal.

Bergevin is happy so far this year.

4. Maksimir says:

This post is so old now I am wondering if Galch’s hand is healed?

Tiger Woods collected 83M last season in prize money and endorsements. That puts his total career earnings at 1.3B. I guess there is no salary cap in pro golf.

Even more astonishing, is the fact that Arnold Palmer made 40M while Jack Nicklaus raked in 26M. Both golfers didn’t even play in a pro event last year.

I figure Subban is going to come in around 8.5M a season for eight years. That would be 68M (plus endorsements), fifteen million less than Woods’ 2013 total.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Cups

The big question for Tiger is 1 simple word.
      Elin?

• 24 Cups says:

I’m sure she got a huge bundle of cash but it won’t hurt his overall bottom line. He’s a great golfer and businessman but a bit of a scumbag when it comes to human relations, especially as a husband as you have pointed out.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi Cups

I’m a big fan of ” Tiger The Golfer” and the game is better when he has it going.
          Before all the junk came down, he was untouchable (is that a good word to use ?)
          Here’s hoping he gets it back because the several PGA robots are much less fun to watch…except for when Dustin John son brings his fiancee to the tournaments.
          Funny how the HIO censors won’t let the complete word “john son” to be used

• CJ says:

Never had an Arnold Palmer iced tea?

6. Trollhunter says:

KABAM!! KABAM!! IT`S A DOUBLE DION!!!!

7. hansolo says:

Not Habs related per se:

What happened to HFS72 and to Un Canadien Errant? I miss their posts.

8. kalevine says:

has anyone suggested that maybe he wants to save Marty for a TB cup run?

9. Maritime Ronn says:

Lots of talk about McGuire.
    I see him in the same light as Don Cherry.

If you like them, then listen and be happy.
    If you don’t, then use the remote.

10. AH says:

So looking forward to Bournival getting some quality ice time with some decent players, too bad it’s at the expense if Galchenyuk.

• CJ says:

Agreed. I’m a huge fan of his speed and on ice vision. I’d love to see him light it up. Taking the good with the bad, this promotion could serve as an audition to see if Bournival is ready to step into Gio’s spot in the lineup. His success could make the captain expendable.

11. montreal ace says:

I wonder if Bourque will play RW, if he is lined up with Eller and Bournival.

12. There are different kinds of intelligence. One of them involves knowing a great deal of information, like the kind our dear Mr. McGuire is apparently blessed with. On its own, this kind of intelligence is good for showing up your friends and family at dinner parties or, in the extreme, winning on Jeopardy. Without other forms of intelligence, however, it’s not particularly useful.

I’d rather have someone who knows fewer ‘facts’ and has more knowledge about how to imagine, plan or create, or is able to communicate, motivate and manage others. That person would be more valuable as GM material, in my books.

Defense wins championships

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Great point. Howard Gardner?

• Yes, I think it was Gardner who came up with the idea of multiple intelligences, or at least of labelling them that way. I believe there have been revisions, new categories, etc., added since.

Also–I was trying to edit the post to say it was in regards to the McGuire debate, but it didn’t work for me. Lots of others having that issue?

Defense wins championships

13. AH says:

Can anyone explain to me how such an inept hockey manager as Kevin Lowe is always part of team Canada’s brain trust? This guy must have pictures on a whole lot of people!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Maybe videos…

• 24 Cups says:

Kevin Lowe was a good but not great defenseman. He has six Cup rings so that’s a half dozen more than I have. However, his greatest feats were playing with Gretzky and being best friends with Glen Sather. The present Oiler franchise is a frackin joke and most of it is on Lowe. How bad is it? Edmonton is just five points “back” of Buffalo in the race for the first overall pick. Pathetic.

Hahah, Front. “Crankshaft will outskate Hal Gill”.

Gold.

15. DipsyDoodler says:

“few people know more than McGuire about hockey”

Maybe hockey, like the universe, is unknowable?

• Eddie says:

Yes. That’s right Dipsy. Would be interesting to get you in a room with McGuire so you could compare knowledge of the game.

The guy is paid hundreds and hundreds of thousands per year to share his knowledge of the game, by NBC, and previously by TSN.

Think he was never interviewed and questioned about his knowledge?

Think he rose to this level by being a dunce about hockey?

• DipsyDoodler says:

Interesting for whom?

I wasn’t even attacking McGuire who I’ve heard maybe three times on TV.

• Mattyleg says:

I’ve heard Pierre McGuire do two things effectively:
        1. Read commonly-accessible statistics
        b. Talk about how he’s besties with every hockey player

That ain’t intelligence in my book.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mavid says:

bang on…just listen to him..this morning was a perfect example, the hosts asked him several questions regarding the choices for Team Canada, and he answered none of them. He just rambled on repeating cliches and phrases. I should have recorded it so I could actually tell you what he said. Because I am getting old my memory is very short, next time I will record it so I can give you a proper example. I may not be able to express myself with the proper hockey terminology very well, but I know a bullshitter when I hear one..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

I hope Parros has a good game tonight. He deserves it. I really am rooting for the guy.

• Cal says:

I wish he could have just one good game at this point, but he’s looking more and more like GL the Sequel.

• Habsrule1 says:

He’s not like GL. He’s never shown an issue with fighting, and he certainly would not chase players around the ice to ask if they want to fight.

GL is such a joke. He critisizes Parros for his fighting abilities when he himself refused to fight most of the time he was in Montreal.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Agreed Burly.

• kalevine says:

it’s another in a growing line of MB moves that left us scratching our heads when he did them, and have not paid off. And I don’t buy that excuse that the fans were calling for a Parros. It’s the GM’s job to make the right call, not to buckle to fan pressure and pick a poor fit like Parros

17. GL says:

Hope Bournival can fill in nicely for Galchenyuk, I believe if he can they’ll leave him on that line with Gally and Eller when Gally returns. Bourque could help the 4th line.

18. GL says:

If Parros plays tonight and gets concussed again that could be his career. Nice Guy. Hate to see him go out that way …

19. bwoar says:

When does Canada announce the team for Skeleton? More cajones there than most of these Olympic honkey players.

“thoroughbred”

20. Bripro says:

Is complaining what we do best here?
    According to Kooch we do.
    I have a problem with that …. wait, I mean
    I take objection to that …. uh….

Anyhow, at risk of sounding like a whiner, does anyone else have a problem with the “Edit” button on this site….as in, it doesn’t work?

I’m been complaining, uh… I mean, commenting about the little edit monkeys on this site, who have been on strike since the new format came out, but to no avail.

I bet they recruited my wife….. never listens to me.

21. GL says:

Tonight the Habs had better come to play 60-minutes if they are looking to get the 2-points.
    Philly is pretty good defensively and as good or better than the Habs up front.

• CJ says:

No doubt Philly has found their game. They have historically proven to be a tough opponent, especially on home ice. That said, if Montreal uses their speed and skill, we can back up their defence and get to their goaltending. At some point our PP has to come alive.

The new NHL is so much decided on special teams and goaltending.

• Habfan10912 says:

Habs need to do that every night. Especially important in the road.

22. adamkennelly says:

potential lines for tonight

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
    Bourque-Eller-Bournival
    Briere-Plekanec-Gionta
    Moen-Parros

yikes…Habs are gonna get smashed around so hard I think I’ll need my helmet to watch this game from the couch…

23. habsguru says:

you will never hear a pro, or industry hockey guy trash Pierre McGuire. he is highly regarded in the industry, and does have a stanly cup ring. i’m halfway through Jay Onrait’s “Anchor boy”, and there is a story where Pierre really saved Jay’s ass and career. you don’t have to love him, he’s not for everybody, but if you hate on him, you are no different than the people hating on Subban, ignoring his ability because of his personality.

• Cal says:

Equating disliking “Monster” McGuire with people who dislike Subban because of his personality? Sheesh, you can do better than that old “haters” bullshit argument.
      I dislike McGuire for many of the same reasons Burly dislikes him. That doesn’t make me a “hater.”

• Bripro says:

Yes it does. ;)

• Habsrule1 says:

It just seems most don’t like him for really dumb reasons…he said this, he said that. Habs should not have drafted Price….maybe he was right. At the time, a goalie was not our biggest need.

Regardless of all that, the guy has an opinion based on many, many years of working in hockey and getting to know players as well or better than anyone else in the world. How can we hate him for his well-informed opinions? I listen every day and the man is humble, intelligent, and caring. He states his opinions to the best of his ability and points out when he’s wrong more than when he was right.

I just don’t get it. He’s a man I would love to meet.

• CJ says:

I have personally heard forward players trash him.

• Steeltown Hab says:

I’ve always loved Pierre McGuire, don’t understand what offends people so much about him. Can he be a bit over the top? Sure, by hockey’s standards.

In a world of Millburys, Cherry, Stock, I just can’t understand the hate for McGuire.
      ———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• CJ says:

Hate is a very powerful word. I certainly don’t hate McGuire. I do however believe he talks out of both sides of his mouth. Living in ottawa, I hear him at 8:15 am say one thing to the ottawa audience, then say something to completely counter his original point at 5:15 on tsn 690.

• GrimJim says:

Yeah, I had the same experience listening to Calgary radio out here. I’d listen during the day to the links posted here of the interviews he would do on Montreal radio and then hear him on Calgary sports radio talking on the same topic with different opinions. My impression of him is that he is totally two-faced.

• CJ says:

Yes. It’s really a daily occurrence. He certainly knows his audience.

• Mavid says:

agree perhaps hate was a bit over the top, I cannot stand the guy as I believe he is a blow hard…and spends more time talking about who he knows rather that hockey..he does have a ring, but if I am not mistaken he was a scout on that team, and it was probably 20 years ago. Its been a long time since he actually worked on a hockey team I would imagine there is a pretty good reason for that.

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Habsrule1 says:

I listen to him every day, and sometimes more than once. I think you are hearing what you want to hear and perhaps not completely understanding him.

He seems like such a nice guy “take care of your families, be safe”, etc….and he has taught me a lot about the game of hockey.

That’s probably why I know so much more than most people on here LOL

• CJ says:

You are correct. Messages can get misconstrued.

With all due respect though, I’m not trying to hear one thing or another. He caters to his audience and by extension his commentary is adjusted to reflect said audience. I never once heard him tell Melnyk that PK would not make the Olympic team, yet I heard him say precisely that to the four guys in the morning (tsn 1200 Ottawa).

In any event, I certainly respect everyone’s opinion. Respectfully, CJ

• Strummer says:

I too have no problem with Maguire.
        Lots of media types have personality quirks but do they override the quality of their analysis and commentary?
        The guy’s background makes him quite knowledgeable compared to a lot of members of the hockey media.
        He was even considered GM material by the Habs and I suspect, others

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Pierre probably wrote the praise parts in the book….certainly he is a self praising guy if you listen to him it doesn’t take long to see his personality traits. I think PK is about as talented as they come. So not sure how I fit but I have to turn the channel most often when Pierre comes on.

• JUST ME says:

The problem with McGuire is that he is always positive and optimistic. On HIO for so called real fans you need to criticize, be negative and always pessimistic to make sure that your team gets better.
      Everyone is entitled to their opinion but McGuire is not of the type who pretends he would do better than others and he always analizes the good plays and players of the games he has seen.

I hear on radio and read here so many experts that would change everything without realizing what it takes and without daring to9 admit that their team is doing evenb better than they predicted so..McGuire over most of the so-called experts anytime.

• shandrew says:

I don’t hate McGuire like I do Stock or Milbury, but I’m thrilled Geoff Molson was smart enough to choose someone else for GM. McGuire’s first move would have been to trade PK to Edmonton for Yak, which would have been a disaster IMO.

24. Bripro says:

I had recorded yesterday’s player introduction to Team Canada on PVR.
    Thank goodness for that.
    When I went to TSN.ca live to watch at 11:20, expecting that the roster had already been announced, Stevie Y was just starting to name the players. I thought perhaps it was a replay of the event.
    As it turned out, in re-watching the event, it wasn’t.
    Marcel Aubut…. he must be one of the verbal diarrhea commentators on HIO, because maaaaan, he wouldn’t shut up! Pomp and circumstance. That’s how TSN’s John Bartlett put it this morning, and I agree entirely.
    What’s more embarrassing for the country is the level of exposure for the announcement.
    Doesn’t hockey Canada realize that the Olympics are for the world’s best amateur athletes?
    If they had, the entire episode would have been as low-profile as it was for the women’s team in Calgary.
    Instead, the embarrassed themselves.
    And they certainly didn’t do justice to the many other amateur athletes in this country who have worked every bit as hard, if not harder, as our favourite millionaires have, without any recognition to speak of.
    If they have to turn the announcement into a spectacle, the least they could do is put all the other amateur athletes who are ready to proudly represent this wonderful country of ours on the same stage.
    They deserve it.
    And somebody find a muzzle for Aubut.

• dr. gesundheit says:

Not that it means much but I’m guessing it does nothing for Canada’s popularity abroad when playing other teams as well. (in International hockey circles, more hated than the Yankees/Cowboys in baseball/football etc)

I’m sure TSN and all the blowhards we saw yesterday will be there for the announcing of the Cross Country Ski team as well Brian. ;-) It’s not like politicians or Olympic Committee members would take advantage of Canada’s Hockey passion in order to be self serving.

• Bripro says:

It makes my blood boil.
        These players get paid oodles of money to play to their God-given abilities.
        The 24CH shows an episode where Briere is breaking out the bubbly on a charter plane.
        My wife and I take the plane, which we have to pay for (the team pays for theirs), and we get a bag of nuts, sometimes to share (kidding).
        Then you have amateur athletes, sometimes with little or no sponsorship money, up at the crack of dawn, hoping for a nutritious breakfast before going out to work their tails off in the hopes of representing their country.
        The make it? Great! They win a medal, even more wonderful.
        But tell me, who won medals in the last Olympics for us?
        Very few will be remembered. But everyone remembers Crosby’s OT goal, even though he was a bust and an entire no-show up until that moment.
        Is there justice in the Olympics process?
        About as much as there is in life in general.
        If all was fair, we wouldn’t be hearing of Russia passing idiotic laws against homosexuality.

• shiram says:

Hey Bripro,

Sorry for stealing a comment on here, but yesterday we were talking about strength, size and leverage.
      I posted a clip to show, sometimes those moves/throws can be made without full out strength, but about balance and using your opponents strength, as you pointed out being smaller helped you with your martial arts against taller folk.

Here’s a 135 pound woman tossing around jiujitsu black belt around.

as for yesterday’s presentation of the Canadian team, I could not watch it, but as I read people commenting on here, I could not help but feel they were doing everything they could to remain pertinent in the hockey world, as they are soon losing alot of games.
      Be prepared for trade deadlines, start of free agents extravaganzas.

• Bripro says:

Hi Shiram. I saw it. But there’s a big difference between the two sports.
        I’m in no way dismissing or minimizing jiu jitsu, but there are big differences between the two sports. Jiu is more of a wrestling style (very sketchy description) whereas Taekwondo focuses primarily on leg power and usage.
        Being short is often a disadvantage in that sport, unless you have a strong lower body and very stable centre of gravity.
        My point is that size will usually win out unless one has exceptional ability.
        Which was part of my argument for St Louis. A smurf? No question. But probably the best under-sized player in the NHL and perhaps the world. Not many can say that.

• shiram says:

Cheers Bripro, I’m no martial artists or anything, but I have an interest in watching those sports.
          I’m guessing reach is also another important factor…

And definitely agreed on St-Louis.

• frontenac1 says:

Agree Brian! Elegant understatement has been replaced by a parade ground of vulgarity. Just look at the way some players dress for L”Antichambre. Remember DD? or whats up with Danny Boy showing up last week in Sweatshirt,shorts and Flipflops?!It was 20 mins after the game,and he couldnt dress properly? Thank God we have PK . He showed up last game in a tailor made conservative suit, crisp checked shirt , well appointed tie and fedora. Class Amigo,Class.

• Bripro says:

Hi Front! Happy New Year buddy.
        I see our hometown boy didn’t make the Olympic team this time.
        Maybe next Olympics. Cheers!

• frontenac1 says:

Happy New Year to you and your Family Bri!
          Yes, Too bad about Corey,but local Verona boy Smitty squeaked in. He lives in the off season up in my neck of the woods and is really a great guy. Helps out with the local kids quite a bit. Saludos!

• Strummer says:

Bri- You gotta think TSN was behind this overblown hype that was the Team Canada announcement yesterday.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

25. Eddie says:

Saw a conversation below about Pierre McGuire.

First, the man himself is a first class gentleman. The personality he brings to TV or radio is designed to stir the pot. He is purposely controversial because that is who his employers want him to be. McGuire built his career as a man who many would despise and others would admire. Controversy sells!!

Now what does McGuire know about hockey? Ask Boone. Boone has written on these pages that few people know more than McGuire about hockey and the players playing the game.

You guys want to hate McGuire? Go ahead. That’s perfectly alright with him and his sponsors.

Count me in the category that dislikes, and dislikes strongly then Ed. I just find him far to overbearing and I feel like he tries to use 40 words when 3 would suffice. To me it reminds me of bosses I have worked for who love to use “Lingo” so as to make themselves sound extremely knowledgeable.

I suppose my frustration with him went to an extra level when he was utilizing TSN 690 and specifically Mitch Melnick as his own personal shill to try and get the job of GM with the Habs. Pierre had his chance as a GM in Hartford and failed miserably, beyond miserably. This is isn’t to say he doesn’t know a great deal about hockey, but he is what he is, a TV Hockey Pundit and Personality.

Yes he has had some gigs as a Hockey Scout and quasi Assistant Coach (not listed as officiall Asst. Coach on the Penguin Cup Champsionships, yet often hear him refer to himself as Asst. Coach on those team) in the NHL. But he has refused to start climb the ladder in the NHL in order to become a GM. If he wants to be a GM he needs to put in the time with organizations at a lower level than GM in order to be considered. If he wants to be a TV personality then stick to what he is doing.

But he is far far far from a Scotty Bowman, or even a Michel Therrien when it comes to hockey success as Coach or GM. He is indeed a colourful TV personality, then again, so is Nick Kypreos.

• Bripro says:

Gerry, you know that you and I agree on most things or comments on this site. But on this one, I’m in the other corner.
        I like him. There is no question that he knows far more than most, and is very informative.
        Does he boast on occasion? Sure, but who doesn’t?!
        As for using Melnick to promote himself, I listen to that show almost every afternoon, and the only one I ever heard pump his tires was Melnick himself.
        Whenever he was asked about his NHL ambitions, his possibility of being selected, etc, he would properly avoid an answer that would seem self-serving.
        Would he make a good/great coach? Only time will tell.
        But I have to agree with Eddie (at risk of being chastised here).
        His TV personality is geared to fill the airwaves gaps. Of that I’m certain. Because he’s strictly information in the afternoons on TSN.
        IMO.

If I ever need to know what colour the mascot is for the Regina Pats or the name of the arena which the Brandon Wheatkings play in, I will be sure to ask that wealth of knowledge Pierre McGuire. I just won’t tune in to him to find out who I think the Habs should ever draft. :)

• Eddie says:

McGuire was 100% right when he complained about how Gainey and then Gauthier were mismanaging this team.

I would come on here and argue with many who tried to defend the Gainey moves, to no avail of course, because Gainey was a legend.

Criticize as TV personality sure, I agree ED, no dispute. But I don’t need to hear him talk like he can do that job, because he had his chance in Hartford and it was an abject failure. I don’t like when he talks as though he is an expert, he isn’t, he is just another TV personality.

• Eddie says:

He is paid to give his opinions as an expert on hockey. How else is he supposed to talk?

“Well ummm, it’s just my opinion cuz I’m no expert, you know, but ummm, I think Gainey, ummmm, should maybe consider drafting some bigger, nastier bodies, ummmm, if he feels like it”

@Ed, okay a TV Hockey Expert. :)

• Eddie says:

Hockey DB has no problem listing McGuire as an assistant coach.

Holy Cow, no word of a lie Ed, last year, he was not on there. I swear, as that is the website I use all the time, and I did look for it.

I apologize, I am wrong. But I swear he was not listed a year ago on that website.

• CJ says:

Two buddies who have played on the world junior team and team cherry respectively both had not so flattering remarks about either McGuire or Cherry.

When the WJC was in Ottawa McGuire addressed the team at a banquet at the brook street hotel in kanata. Our company was a corporate sponsor, so we had a table. Long story short, people still joke about the speech.

Sadly, I think a lot of the players think he is funny – and I don’t mean haha funny. Funny as in weird.

26. Cal says:

The amount of comments on the Olympic team demonstrates the passion for hockey here in Canada. Loving all the arguments pro and con regarding the picks and those left aside.

A gold medal for Canada is far from a certainty, but at least a medal is within the team’s realm of expectations. Of course, anything can happen in a short tournament.

Did Martin St. Louis once show up at an HI/O summit and share his wealth with the commentariat? I like him as a player, but can easily understand how he wasn’t chosen for Team Canada, instead other great Canadian wingers took his spot.

Just a little perplexed at the massive reaction here is all.

Price is not playing tonight – might as well give Philly 2 points and avoid risking an injury. I like Budaj but man… he can’t keep the team in the game the way Price did this year.

Having Parros in is also dumb.

• Kooch7800 says:

Budaj has looked a little shaky in his last few starts with some really awkward goals. Can be expected though when there is such gaps between your playing time. He was solid at the start of the year. Hopefully he will return to that form tonight and our D actually helps him out a bit.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habsrule1 says:

Not sure why such lack of confidence in Budaj. Has he had more than a couple bad games in the past 2 seasons?

If Parros is ready, we have to play him. Would be ridiculous to have him sit until we play the bruins, etc.

• Timo says:

That’s the thing. I don’t think Parros can be ready anymore. One more solid hit to the head and he is done. He had 2 concussions in 4 months. IMHO Murray, Prust and Moen should be able to handle flyers in that department.

I am not saying Parros is not needed. I am saying it is too soon after his second concussion in such a short time period.

• shiram says:

I’m thinking Parros will see very little minutes, and a C, likely Eller, will be double shifted on the 3rd and 4th.

• CJ says:

Big game from Budaj tonight. He is due for a strong performance.

29. DipsyDoodler says:

When does Budaj get pulled tonight?

I’m betting early 2nd period.

30. habs-fan-84 says:

Two things I learned yesterday:

1. Marleau isn’t as old as I thought
    2. Kunitz is older than I thought

Note, they’re both 34.

31. Maritime Ronn says:

Team Canada is going to have a great Olympic squad, but Steve Yzerman – What were you thinking?

Marty St. Louis is your Tampa Captain and one hell of a warrior.
    When Stamkos went down, the experts were predicting doom and gloom for Tampa – forgetting what Marty brings to the table.

Since Stamkos went down, the Lightning are 14-8-4 with Marty St. Louis putting up great numbers and leading the way.
    In the past 25 games, he has 12 goals/24 points playing with lines mates…Tyler John son and Ondrej Palat.

Does he perform in tough, pressure packed playoff hockey when supposedly the big guys take over?
    His stats show 63 games played, 33 goals and 68 points with a Stanley Cup.

This overhyped Team Canada selection process left little in doubt from the get go.
    The few question marks were the fringe choices.

Any Canadian 12 year old playing hockey knew who the 2 starting goalies were to be, along with 7 of the 8 Dmen, and 12 of the 14 Forwards.

Did it really make any difference who the 3rd goalie would be?
    Mike Smith or Corey Crawford or Josh Harding?
    Or the 13th-14th forward?

Snubbing your Tampa Captain and experienced warrior was wrong.

Will it have been the difference between Canada Gold or not?
    We’ll never know, and that’s really not the point.

A solid GM would have walked in on Day 1 and said:
    ” One way or the other, the reigning Art Ross Trophy winner Marty St. Louis is on this team – now, let’s figure out the other 13 Forwards.”

Perhaps this just proves the old saying:
    More often than not, the very best salesman make some of the worst Sales Managers.

• 24 Cups says:

Ronn – That’s the emotional reaction to the situation but I think you have to look at what is perceived as the two biggest needs of the team – players who can fly on the big ice and goal scoring which has been an Achilles Heel for TC.

Some people will question Yzerman’s sanity by leaving St Louis off the team while others will applaud his courage in doing so. A solid GM would have walked in on Day 1 and said, “I don’t want any Tampa players getting special treatment”. I guess it’s a two sided coin.

• Cal says:

MSL was left off the 2010 edition of Team Canada as well. He is a hell of a player, but there are a few others in that same “left off the team” category.
      With injuries likely over the next 3 to 4 weeks, it is possible he can be nominated then.
      Yzerman will only be proved wrong if the team doesn’t medal.

• mrhabby says:

over dramatic ron..iam sure marty will understand.

were not going to win or lose due to this 1 issue.

its about the big ice and putting the puck in the net.

• bwoar says:

Ron, I agree with you 100%. Yzerman screwed up this one. MSL has more guts than half the guys on the team and has always led by example on the ice. I would take him over Kunitz or Carter any day of the week. No disrespect to those players, but St. Louis has been the very guts of the Tampa org his entire time there. He’s exactly the kind of the player that should be representing Canada. You would think Y would know better.

“thoroughbred”

32. RAM_TOUGH says:

Carey Price injured?

Source please.

Guts-Glory-Ram

It appears that one of the main reasons St Louis was left off TC was his inability to handle the big ice surface. I guess the disaster in Turin is still fresh in some people’s minds. That’s why Carter leapfrogged over him. Rumour has it that Giroux is next in line to replace Stamkos at RW if he isn’t ready to play. Or Neal.

34. For everyone who loves the twitter hockey drama, Hrudey and Cassie C going at it over a pic she tweeted of Kelly in makeup before going live on CBC.

1. Price
    2. Smith
    3. Luongo

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• Habsrule1 says:

I think it’ll be Luongo, Price, and Smith. Luongo will play, if he does well, Price may not see the ice unless Luongo faulters….or, Luongo plays, then Price plays, and if Price looks much better, he gets the job.

Smith never sees the ice, barring an injury.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I think Hockey Canada wants Price to be the number 1, much like Toronto wanted Bernier to be their number 1 at the beginning of the year (seems to be working out well :)).

Considering the first two games are against Norway and Austria I think it’s most likely Luongo gets game 1 and Price gets game 2.

I think you’re right though, if Price looks much better (than Luongo) in game 2 he’ll be the guy they go with the rest of the tournament.

• Habsrule1 says:

It will probably also come down to how they look in practice, believe it or not. Covering angles and handling shots/rebounds is very important and is very different on the big ice. I think they can both play well in the first 2 games and the decision might come down to who looks confident and ready in practice.

35. jimmy shaker says:

Budaj starting tender

Parros in as well

shaker out!

• habs-fan-84 says:

Was hoping to hear Budaj is in tonight. Hope the issue with Price’s groin isn’t too serious…

• Chrisadiens says:

Ugh. The Habs can start preparing for the draft if Price is seriously hurt. Buds is great, but he’s no Carey Price.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Habsrule1 says:

If Price’s injury was serious, we’d know about it.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Philly’s forwards are going to destroy our D. They’re so good they have Vinny playing winger on the 3rd line with Couturier and Downie. That’s their 3rd line!

• shiram says:

I think we matchup well with them, and could go either way.
        The season’s serie against them is tied 1-1 as of now, a 4-1 win for the Habs, and a 2-1 win for the Flyers.
        Having Price and Chucky out might tip it in their favor.

• Kooch7800 says:

I wonder if Danny Boy will be motivated tonight instead of chatting up his buddies. He has looked better with Pleks and gio in the last couple games

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

36. Mavid says:

McGuire this morning on Team 1200 on the ability of St. Louis “He is on the top of the fruit tree” He would probably make an excellent polititan as he never answers the question..I hate him but for some reason I must listen just to see what stupidity he comes up with…I need help

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Psycho29 says:

By any chance did he quote “Scotty”?
      Or mention he had dinner with a top NHL GM last week but cannot say who it was?
      ;-)

• Habsrule1 says:

I like him. Seems like a really nice guy and just happens to know a crapload about hockey too.

If he says stupidity, I can’t imagine what word to use for a good percentage of posters here.

• shiram says:

He’s an akward person, and people pick on that.
        But apart from that, I got nothing against the guy, he just shows his passion alot.

• Mavid says:

akward..interesting choice I like it good description..yes he is very akward but picking on him for that..I think not…contrary to what Habsrule1 thinks, I think he knows very little about hockey..when the guys asked him several questions regarding choices for Team Canada and the type of team they have built, he never answered one of them. He just rattled on about nothing and used silly unrecognizable terms..like the one I quoted above..but to each their own..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Habsrule1 says:

It’s not what I think. A guy doesn’t get multiple interviews for GM positions because they don’t know about hockey. I’ve been listening to the guy for years, and he knows more about hockey that you care to admit.

You don’t seem to like him and that’s fine, but if you don’t think he knows about hockey, I can’t help you.

• Cal says:

PM knows a crapload all right! ;)
        Still very glad he is not in Habs management.

37. Psycho29 says:

‘Morning All…

Dave Stubbs tweets that Parros will be a game time decision…

• Kooch7800 says:

I hope he doesn’t fight. It sucked watching him go down with the second concussion. If he fights I will be holding my breath

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habsrule1 says:

We have seen him “lose” one fight since being a Hab, and even in that fight he had the upper hand until that punch that caught him good.

I think too much has been made of a very unlucky fall in his first game for the Habs and one good punch in his last fight.

• shiram says:

What bothers me, and that’s not hockey wise, is the risk of aggravating his already concussed brain.
          Getting numerous concussions in such a short term can’t be good.

• Kooch7800 says:

2nd concussion Habsrule. ;) I didn’t say he lost 2 fights. The problem is after you have a concussion it is easier to get another one. and two in that short of a time frame is not good.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habsrule1 says:

Oh, agree, but if he’s cleared medically and he’s not worried about it, we probably shouldn’t be either. It looks like he’s made the decision not to retire, so hopefully he’ll be ok. I’m also not sure if there are degrees of concussions, but perhaps this one was not that serious, hence a relatively quick recovery…?

I do understand your concern, but if he’s ready and willing, that’s what matters.

• Kooch7800 says:

I get what you are saying Habsrule. It just my human side coming out worrying about his life after hockey as he has a young family.

But i guess that is why he gets paid the big bucks (not in NHL standards but in compared to the average joe like me)

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Mavid says:

Got to agree, I am looking foward to seing him back in the lineup

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• habstrinifan says:

Agree!

Reaction from Tampa Papers on no Marty St. Louis to Team Canada.

• habstrinifan says:

Very emotional … as it should be.

Now being very very selfish. I kinda want St. Louis to go to Yzerman and ask for a trade LOL.

And when that happens I want MB to be ALL IN (with some exceptions re some players of course). But Beaulieu, Tinordi, or Pateyrn and a combination … would be ok with me.

And I know there will be howls. But sometimes fate plays you a good hand. Maybe it did the HABS here.

Imagine this creative resourceful brilliant and productive player being added to our offensive core. And captain material to boot.

Would also be a magnet to one or two other players.

39. Kooch7800 says:

I don’t envy MB’s job at the moment. The PK contract negotiation will not be an easy one. With good ole Dion getting 7 mill PK will be getting probably 8.5 mill plus per season.

Markov needs to be re-signed, Eller needs to be resigned we need another top 6 forward badly. I would imagine Gio is let walk at the end. He is a good leader but his age is catching up with him. This would be good for Galchenyuk to hopefully get in the top 6 next year. Chucky will also be a RFA the year after. Will he bite the bullet and buyout Briere. That probably won’t look to great to his owner as he was just signed last year.

Not going to be a fun year for MB.

P.s. I forgot to mention Diaz but I am hoping he is traded as a package to help us get a forward

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

40. frontenac1 says:

Hola amigos! Can’t understand some posters whining about the Canada Roster. Are you kidding? Look at it! Wow! Damn good players! If Babcock does his job this team is going to do serious damage. Saludos!

41. habstrinifan says:

I love the very intense back and forth between DD-O-Habsfan and the Jackal and others re the Martin St. Louis omission.

I am 100% behind DD-O.. not that he needs my support he is doing very well expressing the scorn, and I use that word deliberatley, the scorn that I have for the decision on Martin St. Louis and especially the excuse by Yzerman… I took myself out of the decision process.

Got news for you Yzerman. You are the ‘GM’.
    You had a front row seat on the stellar performance of Martin St. Louis after Stamkos was injured.
    You are not a ‘long time’ buddY/GM of Martin St. Luois so you were still able to say that you are not coming at any decision with any obligations based on long working relationship.
    You recently fired your coach and released Lecavalier and therefor saw the great manner in which Martin St. Louis responded to the upheavals in Tampa Bay.

You should have stood up and STATED the case for St. Louis.
    You may have convinced others or you may have been forced to accept their ‘wisdom’.

But today you would have been able to say I made the case for a great performer and I failed.

Instead you made it hard to respect your part in that decision today.

• Eddie says:

Trini, I absolutely agree that St. Louis has earned his spot on this team, and to choose Marleau for example instead is ridiculous.

Yzerman is acting cowardly on this file, no doubt.

42. DipsyDoodler says:

In international soccer, Brazil used to play with the idea that they were not only the best but they played a better more beautiful, more righteous, game than anyone else. Their goal was not just to win but to demonstrate to the world how you play this game (which they didn’t invent).

The peak of that style was in the 1980s. They never won.

In 1982 possibly the greatest football team ever didn’t even make the semifinals at the world cup. (Italy 3-2 Brazil – check it out on youtube – what a game!).

Anyhow, they eventually got pragmatic, and decided to play a more defensive style. They picked a ‘team’ rather than a collection of stars. And they made the finals three times in a row and won twice (1994, 2002).

The problem with Canada is we’re always pragmatic. We never went through the poetry stage.

Not many people remember the 1994 Brazil team (Bebeto? Are you serious?), but that 1982 team with Zico, Socrates, Falcao etc… grown men still tear up at the thought.

Then there’s the Dutch teams of the 1970s. Never won a thing, but changed the way people think of the game. Johan Cruyff said it best: “there is no better medal than being acclaimed for your style”.

I wish Canada thought that way. Instead of building teams designed to win, build teams that aspire to something greater. You’ll still probably win by the way.

Spain’s recent success speaks to that Dipsy, not only were they the best team in the world (bar none) they played a beautiful game. I am impressed that my fathers home country have also adapted their style.

Die Mannschaft (German National Team, The Team) have really employed a much more agressive forward moving style to their team and are becoming a near favourite to win the big tournaments. This is a dramatic turnaround from their old plodding style of impeccable defence with goals coming only on set pieces and corner kicks. They are winning more games and winning with a beautiful style of play.

• Cal says:

You just wrote that Brazil never won with their “flair” style of play, yet you think Canada should try a failed idea? Hmmmmmmmm.

• DipsyDoodler says:

They never won silverware. But as I said, they achieved something greater. Think of an Oscar movie versus a Great movie.

• Cal says:

I will give you that they played the game with a lot of finesse and offensive flair. They were fun to watch.
          However, the goal of a game is to win it, not to look good while losing.

• Ozmodiar says:

Yes, but Canada, unlike the Brazilians in the 80′s, would win….probably. Ya see the difference?

I like it! Hockey Canada mandate – play with the panache of that Brazilian soccer team 30 years ago, but win. ;)

• Rugger says:

Exactly why of all the Northern Hemisphere Rugby teams, I most enjoy watching Wales – they play with style, wide open finesse game. We had a coach about 10 years ago that stressed that it was not enough to win, we had to win with class.

• habstrinifan says:

You had me going there .. thought you were heading in another direction.

EDIT: One of the reasons Brazil has not won anything lately is a very specific change in their game which probably went along with that philosophy you mentioned.

Brazil used to be 10 men on the field all possible goal scorers. They changed to where they now play that one striker up front wearing #10 and he is expected to be their main scoring threat.

It sucks and it also gave those individuasl a false primacy on the team leading to their talent being overrated.

43. Sportfan says:

You know I thought about how our Canadian juniors haven’t done as well lately as we would have liked and then I looked at the teams PK was on and its insane the talent on both Gold Medal winning squads!

2008

2009

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

So has there not been a callup from Hamilton yet to replace Galchenyuk in the lineup?

45. CJ says:

Good morning folks. Game day! Also, my oldest boy’s first day of pre school. Needless to say we are an excited bunch this morning. I’m very fortunate to have the time off to enjoy this magical moment. Wishing you all the very best today. Cheers, CJ

• Maritime Ronn says:

Enjoy every single moment with your young ones.
      Don’t miss a thing for any reason.
      Those moments will never happen again and are gone forever.
      Time goes so fast

• Mustang says:

Enjoy the kids while you can because time will just fly by. We are lucky enough to have some young grand kids now and I am trying to make up for all of the things I missed with our own children because I was so busy earning a living that there never was enough time for everything back then.

46. Ozmodiar says:

Poor MSL. He was pretty upset. Sounded like he had something that was rightfully his taken away from him. Thought he was going to burst into tears! :)

He should take a lesson from Giroux, Thornton, Seabrook and others who, while disappointed, appreciate that those who made the team are deserving.

Poor lil MSL. :cry:

• CJ says:

Likely also the realization that this was the last chance. Giroux and Seabrook will have another opportunity. Let’s face it, Thorton is used to bad news. I don’t mean that as an insult on Joe, who I have the utmost respect for professionally.

47. RetroMikey says:

I don’t understand why Martin St. Louis isn’t on the team. His skating ability would have been great asset ion the bigger ice rink.
    Leaving St. Louis off the team is a huge burn to the player on a personal level. Can’t believe the overrated GM Yzerman didn’t stand by his captain on this one and boot Kunitz off the team and St. Louis take his place. I really feel bad for Marty, because he definitely merits a spot on this team, and he deserves a chance to win a gold medal.
    I see this team will not be a gold medal winner in Sochi.
    St. Louis will have the last laugh along with Giroux, Seabrooke and others.
    BIG IS BETTER IN THE NHL NOT IN SOCHI.
    “We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Cal says:

MSL did not make it in 2010 either and the team did fine. MSL is a great player, but he is longer in the tooth now than in 2010.
      MSL will root for the team like Giroux and company because I don’t believe they’re as vindictive and negative as you.

• Habsrule1 says:

Give me a break. I think Marty should have been there, but this team has a good chance to win Gold without him.

48. habsguru says:

re: WJC, Canada stacked a team full of size, and didn’t use it. there was very little physical element to their game, et la Phaneuf (it burns to post this) and Too Too. Druin looked like he was the only one who could skate. point being, if your model is size/strength, and you don’t use it and succumb to the speed of your competition, you are ineffective. wrong players, wrong coach, wrong style.

49. Maritime Ronn says:

Habfan10912 says:
    Good morning friends. I’m sure last nights games were filled with last minute penalties and disallowed goals, huh?

Yeah, I’m still seething.
    ——————
    Jim Brother – ya gotta let it go.
    Think about your family and your blood pressure.

Let’s try to find some positives in this.
    If goals are getting refused, it’s because the Habs are getting scoring chances – being bumped into goalies – running into goalies and getting position in front of the net and crease areas.

Isn’t that a good thing?

Here’s being a firm believer that things usually even themselves out over time.
    If not in the end, we’ll call Mayor Ford…

50. habsfan0 says:

Given that the Flyers played last night, I look for the Habs to get stronger as the game wears on.
    I wouldn’t call this a measuring stick game, though.

That’s reserved for Saturday.

• JF says:

Last time we played the Flyers, they were coming off a 7-3 drubbing in Chicago the night before, and reached Philadelphia about 3 AM. It didn’t seem to affect them. For some reason, the Habs do not play well in Philly, haven’t for years. The Flyers are the Eastern Conference team I would like least to meet in the playoffs.

51. rhino514 says:

Is it Patrick Sharp or Patrick Kane who is on the team??
    I´ve seen both erroneously listed.

52. Maritime Ronn says:

@ Jim

Good Morning

This nonsense that minor hockey is going backwards in Canada is media driven because there was no medal won at the World Juniors – and perhaps the team was chosen on a ‘politically correct’ basis vs. putting the best players out there.

Add to that a dinosaur coach and team psyche that played ‘not to lose’ and that was a bad recipe to begin with.

Then ask yourself, where were juniors such as MacKinnon-Sean Monahan-Morgan Rielly playing (NHL) and forgotten guys like Domi and Darnell Nurse?

If Canada is doing such a terrible job, then how come the Top 8 scorers in the NHL are all Canadian with the exception of Patrick Kane?
    Or that 15 of the Top 20 scorers this year are Canadians?
    (and 2 other North American in Kane and Pavleski)

And then if Canada is so bad developing players, how could it be the holder of Olympic Gold with the potential of another?

Yes, there are some great Euro talents, yet as for Canadian players being less skilled, go tell that to Crosby, Stamkos-Tavares-Getzlaf-Perry-Toews…and a fella that is the reigning Norris Trophy winner and now Team Canada Olympian.
    You may recognise the name: P.K. Subban.

Canada is producing talent, of this I have no doubt. But did you watch the style of game which Canada played at the World Juniors? Seemed to me there was a nice mix of talent and size, but the team seemed to lack cohesion, and I just didn’t see them maximizing the talents which they had available to them.

Clearly the team was playing a dump and chase game, and rarely did I see nice zone rush with players filling lanes and using creativity to gain open spaces leading to open shots.

During the Finnish game it was particularly obvious the Canadians had no answer to the defensive trap game which the Finns played to perfection, and this led to frustration and the players becoming individualistic.

I think Mike Babcock will employ a system to maximize his talented players, we need only look at the style of play which he has had the Red Wings playing for years to get evidence.

• AndyF says:

They played the style that Brent Sutter wanted them to play. Ronn is right in using the word, dinosaur.

• CJ says:

Agreed completely. I can’t figure out why Hudon wasn’t given a bigger role. He seemed to be one of the few who consistently created when on the ice. Sutter was unable to adjust, which is a critical component in a two week tournament.

• Cal says:

Hey Burly.
        Against the Finns, you mentioned Canada’s players being “individualistic.” This is the heart of creativity, but creativity that includes other players- like Gretzky and Lemieux, for example- is a rare thing. Especially when “systems” have been drilled into you.

• habstrinifan says:

‘ and I just didn’t see them maximizing the talents which they had available to them.”

An absolutely great post. One of your best.

Your conclusions are the same I reached… not lack of talent but misguided emphasis on what is becoming a Canadian/NHL blight … this coaching and playing hockey as if you are selling insurance. Protecting against errors.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hi Ronn. I think Canada is doing a masterful job creating NHL players. I think the international game is a different story. No doubt the players have the skill and speed to compete with anyone in the world. Maybe they’re not being allowed to? Some of this falls on the coaching staff, no?

Like I said to Dust below, I can’t debate the fact that better players were left off the team. I don’t see them so I can’t make any judgement to that fact. All I can say is clearly the US and Canadian boys were outplayed, outskated and outworked by their competition in Sweden this year.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Jim

Regarding Team USA, what if Galchenyuk, Seth Jones, and Jacob Trouba to name a few were on that team instead of these teenagers playing in the NHL?

• Ozmodiar says:

Olli Maata and Sasha Barkov say ‘hi’. ;)

Seriously, the Swedes had the most talent in the tourney, but the Finns played the best ‘system’ game. With such parity internationally, a good system can be the difference in a short tournament.

I gotta love Brent Seabrooks reaction to not making Team Canada, beyond the usual “I wish I made the team” and “There is a lot of talent on Team Canada”, he said I am going to enjoy the break drink some beers and watch Team Canada play.

54. Habfan10912 says:

Breaking News: The over/under for disallowed Hab goals tonight is 1 1/2.

The over under for Flyer’s 5 on 3′s is 2.

55. DipsyDoodler says:

Hang on. Patrick Marleau is in the team? Mr Regular Season?

56. JF says:

During the intermission of the Pens-Canucks game last night, Ray Ferraro said exactly what I had thought while watching the Juniors. Hockey Canada is not doing a good job of teaching quick thinking on your skates and offensive creativity. Ferraro compared the Canadian Juniors unfavourably to the Finnish team in this respect. Perhaps we over-value directness, a north-south game, aggression, and physicality, but our players simply seemed less skilled and less creative than the Finns.

• Habfan10912 says:

What are they teaching Jane? The rough, tough, dump and chase, grinding, boring, slow the opponent down at all cost style hockey?

Was it born when the Russians with their fleet footed puck possession game scared the dickens out of the North American establishment? Did the Canadian coaches quickly invent the trap, obstruction and such to slow them down?

Once again my friend you’ve hit the nail on the head. CHeers.

• Cal says:

I don’t believe creativity is something that can be “taught”. It is innate. I believe those instincts can be nurtured or neutered by teachers. Whether or not the teachers are too “systems” oriented depends on the level of hockey.
      I have witnessed 7 and 8 year-olds being taught “systems.” I saw 12 kids looking bored with their heads down, staring at the puck by their skates. I bet they were wondering when “Mr. System” would shut up and do what they were there for: fun.

Good Point Cal, but coaching needs to allow kids to play a game that allows for this creativity. So much pressure is placed on winning games when they are kids, even if it means 2-1 with systems employed. I understand everyone likes winning, but I believe sometimes the emphasis on winning supercedes the growth of that creativity you speak of.

57. Habfan10912 says:

Yeah, I’m still seething.

58. Marc10 says:

Gotta give props to Martin St Louis. Doesn’t make the cut so what does he do? Gets out on the ice scores two and wins the game for his team.

What a warrior.

59. DickandDanny says:

Is there a bigger ride on the coat tails of others, and always be a yes man to get ahead in the NHL, than Kevin ‘I’m Wayne Gretzky’s buddy’ Lowe? If there is point him out to me I’d like to meet him. Lowe is a complete wannabe. He has shown how hockey smart he is by assembling year after year a perennial bottom dweller. This guy makes me ill. So cocky and above reproach. Keep assembling those number one picks Kevin, they look good on you. What an egotistical arrogant sob.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

60. ClutchNGrab says:

While the author is trying to downplay the expectation of having Phaneuf on team canada p, he still included that paragraph. The toronto sun is hilarious sometimes.

With returning players including the Predators’ Shea Weber and the Blackhawks’ Duncan Keith leading the way, the 28-year-old Phaneuf, second in points among Leafs defencemen, first on the team in plus-minus and minutes played, and third on the team in penalty minutes through the first half of the regular season, appears to have simply fallen victim to the numbers game.

I hope they don’t play Parros tomorrow. Let me sit until after olympics. There is nothing that he brings hockeywise that can’t be found in Hamilton. There is absolutely no reason for him to be in the lineup tomorrow.

What about defensive pairings? Will we have a privilege of seeing Diaz back in the lineup tomorrow?