Habs’ Subban paired with Hamhuis at first Team Canada practice

Team Canada held its first practice Monday in Sochi as it prepares for its first Olympic game at noon ET Thursday against Norway.

The Canadiens’ Carey Price was on the ice along with the other two Team Canada goalies, Roberto Luongo and Mike Smith. The three goaltenders will be roommates in the Sochi Olympic village.

On Monday, Price was named the NHL’s first star of the week after posting a 3-0 record with a 1.00 goals-against average and .971 save percentage and one shutout. Dallas Stars goalie Kari Lehtonen was named the second star and Boston Bruins forward Jarome Iginla was the third star.

At the Team Canada practice, Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban was on the fourth defence pairing with Dan Hamhuis. The other defence pairings had Duncan Keith with Shea Weber, Marc-Edouard Vlasic with Drew Doughty and Jay Bouwmeester with Alex Pietrangelo.

After Thursday’s game, Canada plays Austria at noon ET Friday and Finland at noon ET Sunday in its final preliminary-round game.

Max Pacioretty, who is part of Team USA, has been skating on a line with Paul Stastny and Ryan Callahan at practice.

There are seven Canadiens players in Sochi. Here’s a look at when their teams will be in action during the preliminary round (all times ET):

Pacioretty (USA): The Americans play Slovakia at 7:30 a.m. Thursday, Russia at 7:30 a.m. Saturday and Slovenia at 7:30 a.m. Sunday.

Andrei Markov and Alexei Emelin (Russia): The Russians play Slovenia at 7:30 a.m. Thursday, the United States at 7:30 a.m. Saturday and Slovakia at 7:30 a.m. Sunday.

Tomas Plekanec (Czech Republic): The Czechs play Sweden at noon Wednesday, Latvia at 3 a.m. Friday and Switzerland at noon Saturday.

Peter Budaj (Slovakia): The Slovaks play the United States at 7:30 a.m. Thursday, Slovenia at 3 a.m. Saturday and Russia at 7:30 a.m. Sunday.

(Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

Olympic tournament schedule

All the latest Olympic hockey news, Postmedia News

Price named NHL’s first star of the week, NHL.com

Bulldogs’ Andrighetto named AHL Player of the Week, hamiltonbulldogs.com

1. Mattyleg says:

Been working all day (shock, horror) so been quiet.

Two things:
    a) CBC = not good evening Olympic viewing. Stupid endless interviews and no highlights from the day. RDS = All the highlights, none of the interviews. Hooray.

2) It’s pretty good to look at Canadiens: 4 – Hurricanes: 1 for the next two weeks, innit?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DipsyDoodler says:

Matty

FYI

CBC online has all the highlights.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m on Telus’ TV service, and it provides every single feed of every competition going on, whether CBC has a commentator yapping or not. And no commercials. Still branded as a CBC program, but really just a feed from the Olympic broadcasting consortium. So I’ve had to deal with Ron McLean very little, and with the insipid commercial of him drinking coffee not at all.

Not sure what other cable providers are doing, but this is gold. Great to watch whatever event you want, uninterrupted, from start to finish, without cutting away to figure skating or a human interest story on an athlete’s stamp collection.

2. jimmy shaker says:

There is no way that Carey doesn’t carry this team, or PK progressively moving up the depth charts in each game, sparking the team and playing smart, effective, zero liability in the D-zone hockey. It’s going to be great to watch, especially PK grabbing the Canadian maple leaf on his jersey right in front of JVR as he celebrates the winning one timer howitzer from Crosby to the top shelf/corner where grandma keeps the peanut butter, beating Quick, pushing Team Canada into the gold medal game vs. Team Russia. Hold on……there I’m calm now!

Shake and bake and I’m done!

3. UKRAINIANhab says:

Team I am most afraid of is USA. Obviously i will throw up if we lose to Russia because thats just me ;). What team are you guys most afraid of? Sweden can be tough, Russia is a little weak on defence I think they will mess up, Finland ya never know, but USA imo is the team to watch out for.

• Marc10 says:

Sweden. They’re pretty strong, born to play on the big ice, and if their goalie gets hot…

Nah, we’ll still beat them. PK will float one up from center ice and it will hit Lundqvist on the noggin and bounce into the goal. King Hendrik won’t be allowed back into the country and Canada will make a stamp of it.

• SlovakHab says:

Sweden and USA can give team Canada a run for their money.
      Team Russia? I could see another 7-3 Canada win like the last time they met at the Olympics.

4. commandant says:

Sarah Burke, and the Norwegian Ski Team scandals…. two decisions that show the IOC is terribly out of touch with the real world and basic human emotion.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks for posting. May I quote the following paragraph.

“Quite simply, these two decisions show how out of touch the IOC has become. They quite simply have no appreciation for basic human decency, and the feelings of mourning, and loss that the athletes feel. These people are not robots, they are men and women like any other, and the human emotion is part of the story. The beautiful tribute to a fallen friend, is part of the story of these games. To deny that is a travesty, and a rejection of the basic tenants of humanity that these games are supposed to be about.

Enuff said. I couldnt help but think how ‘robotic’ the explanations of the IOC official was.

• ooder says:

you mean the same IOC that allowed the olympics to happen in Nazi Germany is out of touch with human emotion and sympathy?????
      what a shocker

Trying to watch the Olympics highlights on CBC and Ron Maclean is interviewing Bilodeau and others. Can someone from the CBC tell Ron that less is more? He goes on and on instead of letting the story tell itself.

According to Lenta.ru Markov was paired with Voynov and Emelin with Medvedev at practice. Frankly, beyond first 2 lines Russian roster doesn’t look very impressive.

If Russia gets rolling with confidence don’t count them out. I’m guessing that most of us know little or nothing about the KHL players on Russia who haven’t been in the NHL.

• scarboro_habitant says:

russia took more KHL players then i though they would. maybe looking to gain an edge with the olympic size rink experience.

• ooder says:

i thought the same thing but then looked around the NHL. there are not a lot of russians there anymore.
        In 2006 almost the entire olympic roster consisted of NHL players, now not so much.
        No more Afinogenov, Kovalev, Yashin, Fedorov, Bure, Mogilny, Kozlov.
        they all stay there now

7. scarboro_habitant says:

comparing d-man stats. PK is pretty much 4th best on team canada even beating out the likes of doughty and even bouwmeester, who PK is probably better than anyway. at the same time hes right up there with pietrangelo. those players mentioned play on stronger teams than PK, even if the kings have been struggling too.

Happy Birthday, CJ!

9. piper says:

No worries about PK. He hardly saw the ice his first year at the WJC then led them to gold his next time around.

10. GL says:

Maybe MB will hang in there and wait till summer. If we could make a couple of moves for scores. We could do good in the playoffs but that’s easier said than done!!

11. Reflektor says:

The bigger question about all the Team Canada (Toronto-based) articles and the non-stop hateful comments towards Price and Subban is what fuels this. It certainly can’t be that these commentators are (more) knowledgeable as they’ve likely seen very few games that PK and Carey have played. Note, few to no other Team Canada players are getting this hateful vitriol spewed at them. What gives? Its easy, the media has driven and meme’d this. Is it because they are Habs? Surely it is part of the equation. Weird world/country we live in. Its almost as bad as don cherry ‘Euro’ trashing non-Leaf players.

12. SlovakHab says:

A typical NHL rink is 60×25 metres.
    Sochi rinks are 60×30 meters.

Russians have stretched it to the maximum allowed width.
    For some skaters, it will be a big challenge to adjust – especially those big guys Habs fans seem to love.

PK Subban should be excellent on the big ice.

Oh, it would be lovely to see Russia without a medal from this tournament. If Canada, USA and Sweden can beat them on the wide rink, it will be sweet.

• ABHabsfan says:

Russia has a lot of firepower in that 1st line but it really falls off after that. I mean Crikey, Kulemin is on their team! I also can’t see the extra width of ice surface being very kind to our Russian Habs

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

13. Laramy87 says:

So teams can only dress 13 forwards and 7 d, who do they sit.
    I think Hamhuis is almost the obvious choice on D. I think we all could have determined PK was gonna be the 7th d. With his shot you need to dress him for the powerplay.

I think the forward who should not dress is Marleau. I would rather have Duchence and St.Louis in the lineup. I would rather have Duchence over alot of players as he may be the faster player. But also being the youngest he may be the obvious choice to sit.

14. JUST ME says:

Not a day goes by on HIO without it`s conspiracy. Today it`s : the universe hates P.K. as heard, seen, said and confirmed by…euh well it`s not important if i say so…
    And comments add on and it`s like the old game of telephone when at the end of the line the story had changed but was still supposedly relevant.

P.K. will do great, enjoy the experience, never forget it and we will again have had much ado about nothing.

15. CJ says:

Wow, first day back at work…. I needed half a bottle of wine and a steak to get back on track. It was no Peter Lugers, but it was a fine birthday dinner.

It’s only been 48 hours, give or take, and I’m already starved for some Habs information. Mr Boone, might it be too much to request an update from the Florida Keys?

The conspiracy theorists among us, namely me, wonder what kind of chemistry Pacioretty might find with Callahan and Statsny and more telling, how that might translate into free agency or the trade deadline. Suffice it to say Bergevin and company are taking notice.

Go Canada and Go Habs!

16. SPATS says:

Keep
    Calm
    and
    Carey
    On

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH

17. Mr. Biter says:

Is the men’s team wearing the same ugly uniforms the women’s team has been wearing? Worst Canadian uniforms ever IMO. Rather have them wearing some of Cherry’s old sport coats.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

18. punkster says:

I sincerely doubt that a stellar coaching quartet made up of Babcock, Hitchcock, Julien, and Ruff are going to screw up and lose sight of the single most important goal in of all this…GOLD!

There are compelling reasons these guys were picked to coach this team of superstars and from what I can see none of them are a questionable selection…well, apart from Julien, because he’s the Boonz coach and anything Broonz is distasteful to us Hab fans…but would you rather have Therrien (insert gales of laughter here)?

No reason to get bent out of shape over Sooby paired with Hamhuis as the 7/8 for the opening practice ’cause it’s, well you know, it’s practice…we’re talkin’ about practice…not a game…we’re in here talkin’ about practice…etc.

Personally I’m pumped to see what Price can do with a team of this caliber in front of him.

PK?…well, he’ll get his chance and when he does he’ll amaze.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

If PK is indeed relegated to a non-starter role by brainiac Babcock I am cheering for an early injury. My team Canada includes Pernell Karl Subban as a top 6 defenseman.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

This x 1000000

• Ktowner says:

PK is just too much of an offensive threat to not utilize. I have faith in Babcock and his staff. We’ll see PK alright and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him lead the defensive core in points.

• Timo says:

I wish I could say the same but I don’t. If anything I learned from my 20 or so years of watching NHL is that more often than not personal likes and dislikes will win over what’s best for the team.

• Ktowner says:

Fair enough but why select him if there is some sort of dislike?

• habstrinifan says:

From what I see of Babcock (and I could be wrong) he is too ‘professional’ to let personal like or dislike interfere with his coaching. Unless you mean like or dislike the athlete’s work as it relates to Babcock’s design… which is fair. If his ‘design’ is flawed he will ‘pay’ for it in loss of respect, as did Sutter in the juniors.

• Le Jadester says:

I hear ya!

Can’t understand how I get chirped on a Habs site for thinking that Babbie boy is effed for putting PK as a seventh/eighth pairing ?

Habs, OLE !

• ffenliv says:

It may be a Habs site, but that doesn’t mean we have to blindly support any pro-Habs position, right?

I think Canada’s depth on defense mean’s PK has to fight past someone else to get regular time. That’s just the reality of it.

• alain58 says:

I’m already praying that they misuse him and he comes back from the Olympics with something to prove, like another Norris or a cup to prove the world wrong.

• habstrinifan says:

Pray for something better. A Canadien’s non-goalie player playing up to the standards of the many spectacular individuals who have been heroes of this team…. we have not had a Canadiens ‘all star’ (non goalie) in a while.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

They dress 7 dmen and 13 forwards, so I’d be surprised if it’s PK and not Hamhuis in the pressbox.

As the 7th dman, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see PK earn his way to more ice time.

20. NiagaraHabsFan says:

Been following this site for years, finally decided to post. I think MB needs to make a bigger trade, but I think it would be a mistake to trade Eller. He’s that big centre that the team has needed for years. He’s still young, and yes, he’s in a slump. DD had 1 assist in 19 games to start the season. Eller has 2g 1a in his last 20. Why doesn’t MT give him Gallagher, or the EGG line back, to get him going. MT must be telling him he’s a grinding type of player, and you can tell he is lost right now.
    I think many agree Gionta and/or Markov could potentially fetch a significant return at the deadline, and it wouldn’t sacrifice the future. Just my 2 cents.

• Timo says:

Markov, maybe, but Gionta? A third round pick if Habs are lucky?

And giving Gallagher back to Eller means Wee Davey won’t be producing again, and Therrien can’t do it to his pet boy.

• Lafleurguy says:

Say, “Welcome to HIO NHF,” Timo.

“Bends but won’t break”

• Bim says:

I agree and I also think that Markov for Moulson would make a good trade. I think Habs have a good chance of signing him to a new contract better than either Vanek or Kane lets say (ya right like Winnipeg would part with a guy that young and that’s signed long term too). Moulson makes less now and would cost too much more than he’s making now. Habs would be able to bank some cash and spend it on PK. I somehow see him in Montreal come March 5th. Don’t know who outside of New Jersey would take Gionta though. That’s a tough one!

21. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Don’t mind if PK doesn’t play much. It should at least motivate him to tighten up his defensive game.

As for Pacioretty/Statsny, they played together and dominated at a previous WJC. I would trade DD and etc. for Statsny in a heart beat.

• The_Truth says:

I wouldn’t trade for Statsny, when he will be a UFA this summer. MB could sign him, but I don’t see him getting less than 6 million on a 5 year deal. Could be worth it though, considering Montreal’s lack of size and prospect depth at that position.

On another note, just checked the Avs stats. My God they are scary with Duschene, OReilly, Stastny and Mackinnon at center. When did Mackinnon explode? 22 goals already as an 18 year old. This guy will be in Crosby’s class.

• Marc10 says:

PK will slot in and I would expect him to really shine when he leads the breakout.

Statsny is an upgrade on a lot of fronts, but he’s often injured and stats wise you can’t justify that price tag/performance ratio… especially if you’re going to open the vault for PK, resign Markov and Eller.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Statsny would only be for a year if it does not work out. DD is playing good now but if he disappears again in the playoffs…they will never be able to get rid of him.

• Marc10 says:

DD did well against Boston the previous year but completely sucked (like most of the forwards) under the relentless Ottawa beatdown. I would expect him to bounce back this year, but a lot will depend on the health of his wingers.

Small guys don’t fare well over the course of 4 playoff rounds typically. They get worn down as we saw with Bob’s crew against Philly back in Halak’s day… So there’s an argument for upgrading for sure, but I don’t know that we still get anywhere with Statsny and would need to send a defenceman the other way. You know St Pat would want a good player in return. Maybe too rich for our blood considering where we’re at in our rebuild.

A better question would be to see what we can get for Gio and Moen. They’re both good post season guys, but I think we can all agree they won’t be around when we eventually reach the promised land…

22. twilighthours says:

Man I have been so out of touch with hio lately. Just busy. So this is probably old news but this young Michael Sam is an inspiration, a much needed role model.

Ny times had an excellent article

Cheers guys

• Lafleurguy says:

Nice drama unfolding, and good on you to bring the story to HIO. Of course there will be backlash. Putinesque-thinking is not confined to Russia. Canada was not idle on this matter. Everett Klippert was incarcerated around 1968 simply for engaging in consensual adult homosexual activity, and when decriminalization finally occurred, we have the famous insight, “The State has no business in the affairs of the nation’s bedrooms.”

“Bends but won’t break”

23. HabFab says:

My favourite performance by a non-Beatle during last nights 50th Anniversary Special;

24. Maritime Ronn says:

Would Lars Eller be enough to get Kulikov from Florida?
    Would GM Talon want more? If so, how much more?
    Both are young and pending RFAs.

Acquiring Kulikov would then allow the Habs to move Markov for what would be a great price this trade deadline.
    When the season is over, and if Markov’s words are true that he loves Montreal, he can always re-sign with the Habs…on their terms and not be held hostage to inflated dollars and term.

Moving Eller would finally open up the Center position for Galchenyuk

• mrhabby says:

I like that plan ..balsy and I wonder if MB has the nads to make that type of deal. There is no guarantee that Marky would resign with the Habs but that can be dealt with while we are BBQ and eating seafood over looking the ocean in the summer.

That being said Ron the team will be over the player limit when the games end and I hope that brings about some changes. Whatever the cap is I hope he adds a player or two.

• Maritime Ronn says:

If all stay healthy, perhaps the plan will be to put Bouillon and Parros on waivers.
        I believe the time to report is max 30 days which would bring it to the end of the season.
        They would still collect their full NHL salaries.
        Good and honorable for all parties

• bwoar says:

I figure Florida is set at Centre, frankly.

“thoroughbred”

• The_Truth says:

Interesteing scenario and not out of the question.

The thing is, Florida has Barkov, Bjugstad and Huberdeau at center who would be ahead of Eller on the depth chart. Huberdeau is playing wing now I think, so that opens up a space. Marcel Goc could be moved to the wing, which he plays sometimes, and put Eller on the 3rd center spot or aquire Eller for the wing. That’s a damn big forward core Florida would have. Drew shore is there too, so don’t know if Florida needs another guy like Eller. They need a more skilled top line winger like a Vanek and top dmen.

I think Eller and a little more (2nd or Pateryn?) could get Kulikov, if Florida was interested, which I don’t think they would be.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think he would want D-men prospects too.

• Maritime Ronn says:

DDO
        Was thinking along the sames lines…

• habcertain says:

why would we trade a big, 1st round, center for a d-man when we have replacements in the pipe-line, and woefully deficient up front. Get rid of Eller and we have a small guy prone to slumping, a defensive specialist ( some offensive ability) who is getting close to his expiry date, and a 19 year old destined to be a start but hasn’t even begun the climb. Eller deserves the same opportunity that DD got and would be a big mistake if he wasn’t given that opportunity.

• Timo says:

What is so special about Kulikov? His stats are far from impressive.

I know there isn’t much special about Eller either but better devil you know, no?

25. stnbog says:

I predict Luongo has a great Olympics, opening the bench door and keeping the bench warm.

26. krob1000 says:

Talk about anunderachiever team…..
    Check this group out…on paper this should have had cup written all over it. Lindros, Bure, Nedved and KOvalev…at the time probably 3 of the 10 most skilled guys around? This is in addition ot Messier and Leetch two hall of famers. Malakhov ..another guy whose talent was never realzied.
    What a strange assortment of guys who should hav ebeen so much better….some were deemed lazy, some were injured but just incredible tha several of those most talented should have beens were all on that tea…led by Messier? a guy regarded as one of the ebst leaders ever and he couldn;t help them even….

27. jo_maka says:

Man, I always knew that Soobie ain’t the most popular player in the league but the hatred over there on the TSN thread from self-proclaimed canadian fans is just ridiculous.

You’d think the kid did wrong just by breathing.

I’ll take him as a 7th D as it stands, I know the last couple of games he hasn’t been himself, but good God !

“All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us…they can’t get away this time”

• shiram says:

“I just like the fact that after practice I can be in [a game of] keep away with Jonathan Toews, Sidney Crosby. I’m hoping by the end of this tournament, when I play keep away in Montreal, I better be the best player.”

Good to hear he is still training, and with the best of them too.

28. Dunboyne Mike says:

Ok, serves me right for clicking. But check out the outstanding Freudian slip in the opening paragraph of the Bleacher Report guide to Olympic Hockey:

“There is no better hockey than what you’ll find every four years at the Winter Olympics. The best players on the planet get together for a two-week tournament, and it never fails to disappoint.”

29. HabFab says:

Carey Price is player of the week in the NHL, we so suck;

• Luke says:

Looks like a pretty poopy draft for everyone overall.

Aside from the top half of the first round… not too much happening. (Or potential late bloomers).

Time to start swapping your struggling ’09s for mine.

30. HabFab says:

Andrighetto is Player of the Week in the AHL. Hi-light reel includes a coast to coast against the Marlies;

31. Un Canadien errant says:

P.K. shouldn’t feel too out of place playing with Dan Hamhuis, if that endures. I’ve described him before as a kind of a Josh Gorges, cranked up to 11. Maybe 12. Solid, dependable, steady Eddy type of player, doesn’t wow you, but you can put him out in any situation. He plays big minutes, and on both special teams. He has a touch more offence, in that he has a respectable shot, but not much more vision than good ole Josh. A bit bigger at 6’1″ 210 lbs, a bit more physical, can take on some middleweights and does once in a while. He won’t win you many games, but he won’t lose you any. Contrary to Alex Edler, who’s rapidly becoming the whipping boy out here, after kicking in four or five goals into his own net over the last four games.

It remains to be seen if Mr. Hamhuis and Marc-Édouard Vlasic can contribute, instead of being anchors and turning into this year’s Team Canada’s versions of Rob Zamuner.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

32. monmick says:

Prediction: There will be 3 severe injuries to Team Canada forwards in the prelim round, and PK will end up winning Gold playing on right wing. Babcock will be acclaim as a coaching genius…

33. Strummer says:

Don’t worry about Subby. Things can change in a hurry.

I was at the first game of the ’76 Canada Cup in Ottawa -Canada vs. Finland.

Sitting in the stands behind me were Sittler , Lanny McDOnald and Danny Gare.
    Sittler was the hero in the final aginst Czechoslovakia.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

Don’t look now, but TSN giving some love to the Habs in latest power rankings. Up to number 9.

• Strummer says:

Not only that but they’re showing the Laffs little respect considering their recent record of 11-2-1

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

35. Luke says:

Sunday Funday = Monday not-Funday.

36. UKRAINIANhab says:

Subban will not see much ice time if not any ice time at all. I love Subban but I can’t argue against the fact that there are better D on the team and his play of late has not been the Subban we all love to watch.

37. Kooch7800 says:

KOMAROV is apparently wanting to come back to the NHL next season. If he is available after July 1 the habs should pick him up.

He was a pesky bugger
    “Keep your stick on the Ice”

38. Habfan17 says:

I can’t wait for the Olympics to be over and for the Habs to hit the ice again.

I think MB will make a couple of more tweaks at the deadline. I hear that San Jose wants to add depth, perhaps they would want Moen.
    I agree that trading Markov would hurt this season, so unless they get an offer that MB can’t turn down, I would say wait and see what happens after the season to decide if he wants to resign Markov.
    At some point, at least one defenceman will need to be traded. Having Markov, Gorges, Emelin, Drewiskie and it appears Beaulieu on the left side, even if they let Murray and Boullion walk. The right side is the issue, with potentially Pateryn ready for 3rd pairing duty next season and Subban, either Nygren makes it, or MB needs to find a righty for the 2nd pairing.

Gionta to me could be traded at the deadline and it would not hurt the Habs. I like Gio, but he does not fit in next season and it would be good to get something for him. If they trade Gio, they still have
    Patches, DD, Gallagher, Briere, Pleks, Bourque, for the first two lines. They would need to bring up someone for the bottom two lines, especially if they were to trade Moen.

I guess it will all depend on how MB and his brain trust feel about their chances for a good play off!

Habfan17

39. kmachabs27 says:

Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo are probably the best D-pairing in the league, playing against the West, aka the top of the NHL, on a daily basis, and succeeding. Anybody who thinks that pairing doesnt belong, or Subban should be ahead of Bouwmeester should really shake their head. This is reality. Subban is going to have a tough time working his way past the 3 right D ahead of him.

40. Maritime Ronn says:

It’s going to be very difficult for Subban to dislodge any of the 3 guys ahead of him on the Right Side.

All of Doughty, Weber, and Pietrangelo play on their NHL team’s 1st unit power play and 1st unit penaly kill.
    A disadvantage for Suban is that the Habs head coach does not consider him or play him on either the Habs 1st or 2nd penalty kill.

Doughty and Weber already have Olympic Gold and will be trusted in all situations.
    Coach Hitchcock is Babcock’s right hand man and he trusts his St. Louis own pairing of JBow and Pietrangelo.

Somwhat fortunate for Subban is the increase in dressed players for the Olympics vs. The NHL – 13 forwards 7 Dimen instead of 12-6.

Good luck P.K.
    Have some fun, learn something, and come back better.

• Habcouver says:

Agree 100% MR. I see PK as his effort to being a contributor in anyway the team/coach sees fit. He will definitely prove that he will not be a distraction to the team’s success. If PK becomes a regular in games, I would see that as a bonus.

The Sochi experience will only benefit and broaden him as a player and person.

Waiting patiently for #25

• Maritime Ronn says:

Couver

PK is still really young and the best Habs fans can hope for is that he plays well when called upon and learns how the big boys handle everything.

• The_Truth says:

in 2010, Doughty was a 7th dman and worked himself up to the top pairing by the gold medal game. In a short tournament you never know what can happen. If PK gets a shot, he absolutely must keep it simple. When he tries to be Bobby Orr and coughs up the puck in his own zone or neutral zone, is what is holding him back right now in the coaches eyes. One error could mean game over in a tournament like this.

He also takes a lot of bad penalties. He has to stay focused and disciplined.

I don’t think it will require any Luck for PK, he simply has to show he is a better option. And yes Doughty, Weber and Pietrangelo are indeed excellent dmen also, regardless of who their coach is.

• habcertain says:

he will get his shot, guaranteed someone will come up lame, also believe his young legs on the big ice will play in his favor. grant you the Bow has been playing well in the NHL but Hockey Canada isn’t just playing for this year, they will give him an opportunity and on the PP he can compete with any of them.

41. JUST ME says:

I am no political junkie, actually quite the opposite but it would not be fair not to appreciate the results of our canadians that make every penny invested in sports federations and Own the podium incentives as we see that we have reached another plateau in winter olympics and can pretend that we belong within the best countries .
    Congrats boys and girls! Great runs by Bilodeau and Kingsbury !

42. shiram says:

Anyone think DD is a better center than Stasny?
    Think Max stops saying DD is the best C he’s played with after the Olympics?

And what of Subban, say the Canadian team plays well, so well they don’t need to play Subban. Does he come back to the NHL with a new found fire burning in him, a flame of hope to continue improving?

43. jols101 says:

Would have been awesome to sweep the podium. So close. Has Canada ever done that?

I believe when in Vancouver, Calgary and Montreal, there was indeed Canadians sweeping the podiums on a daily basis. ;-)

• Say Ash says:

Some of those athletes exhibited exceptional stick handling.

• Cal says:

Give a Canuck a broom…and he’ll kick ass at curling. Or podium sweeping.

• Habcouver says:

Curing was so awesome in 2010. The spectators were stoked and emulated hockey fans with their chanting Go Canada Go. The announcer had to ask the crowd to quiet down at times! So cool!!!

Waiting patiently for #25

• Cal says:

Curling is the most sportsman-like of all sports. Good eggs everywhere.

Montreal held the Scotts tourney on the weekend. I knew they should have held it out West. Low ticket sales, but I suspect the organizers that gave it to Montreal knew it would be Olympic weekend.

44. adamkennelly says:

why is PK in a black jersey? I’m just asking..seems kinda sketchy…

• shiram says:

Those are Canada’s jersey and you have to figure the group was divided in 2 teams for practice.

• adamkennelly says:

I was making a joke – you know cause PK’s skin colour is not quite the same as most pro hockey players…

it would be hilarious tho if he was the only one with a black jersey. would make a funny SNL skit.

• shiram says:

I guess I failed to find the funny in that then.

• adamkennelly says:

it was funny see – cause the statement I made was ridiculous – making fun of overly sensitive race stuff but at the same time – his skin colour does make him pretty unique in this Olympic Hockey tournament.
            so it would be hilarious if they made him wear a black sweater the entire time.

imagine the press conference questio

45. stephen says:

Congrats to the Canadian men in moguls. Just about swept the podium.

Wow, Bilodeau really brought it in his final run!

46. Say Ash says:

Go Team Quebec! Dominating Sochi!

47. Old Bald Bird says:

Considering the big ice surface, is Team Canada constructed right? Is this a good enough skating team?

• krob1000 says:

That is my biuggest concern…teh fac the team has Tavares, Crosby and Toews is what lets me sleep at night. The defense is pretty darn good as well. One of the things that I am also telling myself is that the ability to score from the tops of the circles is also necessary at the Olympic level as teams prtoect the middle very well. A guy like Carter does have an absolutely incredible shot and release….you then imagine the best passer on the planet feeding him and it makes more sense. I know their seasons didn’t justify it but I look at guys like Seguin and Hall and I can’t help but wonder how their wheels could be used. No matter who you pick someone is left off though and no matter wat you do the team is led by Crosby and Toews…doesn;t get any better than that….

• kmachabs27 says:

If you watch or follow the West, Carter is one of the fastest guys in the NHL, hence the reason why they selected him on top of his shot and goal scoring capability

• krob1000 says:

I think of him as straight line fast, not necessarily quick but fast in long stretches. HE isn’t a guy who I would expect to be diving in and out of holes with Crosby looking to find him. I think of him as Pacioretty right handed.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Thanks . We shall see.

48. Le Jadester says:

WTF ?

Soubbie is a 7th/8th D-man ?

What is Babcock on ?
    I thought he was the best coach in the game until this ?

Even if he is playing head games with PK…I don’t agree with that approach in IMO. Sure…Mikey knows everything and we’re (I’m) just a bunch of peasants….lets see what happens then ? If he doesn’t win Gold ?…….then bye bye Mikey boy You’re done-zies !……..You’ve lost all credibility….Its not 2010, that’s history now !

Bouwmeester is ahead of PK ???? Are you kidding me ?

This is stupid already !

Habs, OLE !

49. Sportfan says:

Let the over analysis begin!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

50. Luke says:

So, That Eller guy… huh?

Jeez.

The more I watch him, the more I think he tops out as an Alex Steen clone (without this anomolous season).

51. Habcouver says:

A Ham Sub pairing sounds tasty.
    #graspingatstraws

Waiting patiently for #25

52. scarboro_habitant says:

janne niinimaa retires on mike ribeiros birthday. brutal.

53. Bripro says:

Did I just read this properly?

“….Has Babcock been fired as Team Canada’s coach yet?….”

And I thought Bruins and Flyers fans were bad.

54. habstrinifan says:

My take on any of the Subban questions. Those absolutely pro Subban(moi); Those absolutely anti-Subban; and those in the middle.

I say wait and see and give Babcock etc fair appraisal.

AS of today all indications even before the tournament;even before the selections were made… Subban would be slotted in the 7th and 8th position on defensive depth chart.

A)So if Canada clicks like hell and he does not get to play or plays little… I am OK with it!

B)If Canada does not click and changes are required… then I am respectful enough of Babcock and his staff that I think his 7th and 8th D willl get to show their stuff, if the D is part of the reason why they are not clicking. Whether it’s PP/PK/5 ON 5 problems.

C)I have full confidence in P.K to play his best and fit in IF and WHEN he gets the chance. The results would be up to him.

Conclusion: I have absolute confidence in the experience and ability of the coaching staff of Canada. I have confidence in P.K’s drive and believe(deliberately chosen word) in his talent in all facets of the game. So if circumstances (again Team Canada clicking like hell) means he plays none or little … good for Team Canada. If circumstances means he plays more… I hope my belief in his ability is supported by his performance.

If that belief is proven to be un-grounded and P.K is just another ordinary Canadien’s player then my HABS FAN psyche has been prepared for that letdown. I have turned the corner and NOW see this team, despite my love for them, as nothing more than a collection of mediocrity….. from the owner- management to the players currently in the system. That may be unfair to the players, for I do believe that the development of and ‘spectacularity’ is thwarted by what the management sees as some sort of meritorious culture but is really a staidness borne of the singular benefit the team has in the sPorts sphere that is Montreal and Quebec.

If Subban (or Price..unlikely) fails on this big stage it would just be further confirmation of the average level of the team’s talent.

Having said that… good luck to all the HABS players but GO CANADA GO.

55. Luke says:

Glad to read some of the consensus on Crisp in the previous thread.

I was thinking the Habs coloured glasses had me overrating what I saw with him.

Hopefully the Habs have another steal there.

Burly, too bad I won’t be around Sunday, it would have been the perfect game with Crisp playing here again and at 2pm!

• habstrinifan says:

I remember being laughed at on draft day when I said that this was very likely the ‘steal of the draft’. Amazing the turnaround on this site.

Someone asked me with very pointed derision and implied superior knowledge “I wonder if you have ever seen Crisp play?”.

Looks like more people are watching NOW! Good for Crisp who had a very bad injury in his natural draft year.

56. Habcouver says:

This is exciting times for PK, CP and the rest of our Olympic boys!

But hey! You know that we are all most stoked about Mike Boone’s Blog during the Canadia/ens’ games.

Go Booner, make us proud! :D

Waiting patiently for #25

57. jo_maka says:

****Repost from last thread****

I think the best option for Team Canada is to have PK as a 7th D. A powerplay stalwart, and on ice if we ever have to get a goal to tie up a game.

I actually really like everything about having 7 Ds. If we have enough specialists, I think that’s the way to go.

58. mrhabby says:

any word on who starts in goal the first game.

59. JUST ME says:

I just hope that P.K. gets a fair chance cause i feel that he will dominate on a big ice surface. He is such a good skater that he will be one of the best on his squad and why not one of the best on the ice period.

60. Cal says:

And the whining about PK begins.
    Relax, folks. He’ll get his shot to show them what he can do. If he isn’t a good choice to play, it’ll show during the game he is going to play. I have the feeling he will outplay about 3 of the top 6, but that’s just me.

• Eddie says:

Cal, why is it “whining” whenever people post about Subban?

People here are rooting for him.

• Cal says:

The bitching about all things PK here is almost non-stop. Like today. It’s “Oh no, he’s paired with Hamhuis!”
        It’s a bleeping practice and the game’s only on Thursday and already the “He’s not being treated fairly” crowd has come out.
        That’s why it’s whining.

61. Eddie says:

Subban is better than Bowmeester and Vlassic. Hamhuis is out of his element there.

Yes. Yes. I know. Team Canada wants the left shooting dmen and the right shooting dmen, so no one gets “confused”.

Funny how the Habs don’t seem to mind throwing Beaulieu on the right side and Emelin??

Unless a dman is uncomfortable on his wrong side, or he’s never played there before, this right side left side is not a reason to keep better players on the bench.

In my humble opinion of course.

• Phil C says:

I anticipate that Subban will be dressed at the 7th guy, so he’ll have a chance to work his way into the lineup, but I suspect he’ll have a short leash.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Isn’t Seabrook also better than Vlasic and Bouwmeester?

• jo_maka says:

It’s all about the coach’s system, word to the Count.

I mean, a southpaw on the left might look good, but he actually has a better reach to clear behind the goalie if he’s on the right side, plus if he ever has a howitzer, he gets more space. However, when he defends, he can close the gap better on his side.

I always thought that european players were the most prominent in that style of play. See Ovie and Kovalchuk on the left wing, Numminen on right D and so on. I don’t think it was traditionnally something very canadian. So it still kinda make sense that Babcock will stick to his guns if it suits the system he’s working with.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Subban has stunk for about a month now. He should be in the press box – at least to start off.

62. habsfan0 says:

It might be interesting to hear Subban’s take on Mike Babcock’s coaching style,vis a vis that of Michel Therrien’s, once PK gets back from the Olympics.

63. shiram says:

Sarah Kwak ‏@SI_sarahkwak

USA lines: jvr-pavekski-Kessel; Parise-Backes-oshie; brown-Kesler-Kane; Callahan-stastny-pacioretty

64. Forum Dog says:

Be interesting to see if Subban sees much ice in Sochi. Based on those first practice pairings it seems like he and Hamhuis are considered the reservists. Obviously that could change if there were an injury or if the PP were in serious trouble, but it may be tough to get him in the lineup if he doesn’t start there. Of course, that might be a good thing for his NHL club…

• They’ll be sorry for not playing him more. He’s perfect for the big ice and probably has more experience than the so-called top pairings.

They’ll see. Mark my words!!!!

Defense wins championships

• mark-ID says:

They are allowed to dress 7 dman though, so my guess is that PK will be the 7th, strictly to be on the powerplay.

• Forum Dog says:

When you say they can dress 7 d-men, does that affect the number of forwards they can dress? In the NHL for example, you can dress 7 d-men, but it means you dress one less forward.

If they can still dress 12 forwards then maybe, but I don’t see a scenario where PK takes a spot normally filled by a forward.

65. Psycho29 says:

What is the coach thinking? Pairing Subban with Hamhuis? You’ve got to be kidding!!!
    Has Babcock been fired as Team Canada’s coach yet????

What?, too soon???? ;-)

66. shiram says:

First Olympics.
    The poster who manages the most first post during the Olympics wins the Gold.
    How about it?

67. Looks like everyone is chomping at the bit to be on the podium. Olympic fever!

Go Canada Go!!!

Defense wins championships

68. Thomas Le Fan says:

Foist?

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!