Habs’ Subban meets media in Brossard as contract talks continue

With the clock ticking down to his salary arbitration hearing on Friday, P.K. Subban was in Brossard Thursday morning to promote a cause close to his family’s heart.

Subban and his brothers, Malcolm and Jordan, along with their father, Karl, were at a South Shore car dealership to talk about Hyundai Hockey Helpers, a program that helps families that can’t afford to play with the costs of minor hockey registration and equipment.

“My family knows first-hand the financial challenges of having three boys playing hockey,” Karl Subban said.

Subban’s father said he is often asked two questions. How did they do it in terms of skating drills and training methods. “And there’s another question that is right at the top and that is ‘How did you manage the financial burden of having three boys playing hockey?’”

Karl Subban, a retired school principal, said he and  his wife made tremendous sacrifices.

“And we soon found out that it wasn’t enough,” he said. “We also needed something else. And that something else was the giving spirit of the hockey community in Toronto. The giving spirit of that larger community in Toronto.”

And it’s that spirit that is found in the Hockey Helpers program, he added.

“It is that spirit that has given over 5,000 Canadian youngsters a chance to play the game that my boys love,” the father said.

P.K. was selected by the Canadiens in the second round (43rd overall) at the 2007 NHL draft. Malcolm, a goaltender, was drafted by the Boston Bruins in the first round (24th overall) in 2012 and Jordan, a defenceman, was picked by the Vancouver Canucks in the fourth round (115th overall) at the 2013 draft.

Growing up in Toronto, P.K. said he had many more friends that didn’t play hockey, that couldn’t afford to, than friends that could.

“Me being a part of this program, it’s much more than being a face and talking to media and promoting the program,” the 25-year-old said. “It means something to me personally, you know, because I feel like I’m giving back to kids that were just like my friends growing up.”

Subban fielded questions about his contract situation, but didn’t wade into the topic.

“We’re here for the kids today,” he said. “We’re here for the program.”

There was intrigue when Subban left the one-on-one interviews after the press conference for a phone call. When he returned several minutes later, Subban said he was talking to his mother, not his agent, because he left the cooking grill on at home.

Subban later told TSN Radio 690 that when he left home at 5 a.m. Thursday morning he made organic bison burgers.

“I left the grill on,” he said. “So she was calling me to tell me that I almost burnt the house down.”

Subban was scheduled to return to Toronto Thursday afternoon and told The Gazette he planned to have dinner in the evening with his agent, Don Meehan.

(Photo by Ryan Remiorz/The Canadian Press)

Subban’s agent: deal with Habs can be reached, NHL.com

TSN Radio 690 interview with P.K. Subban

Tone and communication good in Subban talks, TSN.ca

Habs taking arbitration risk with Subban, The Hockey News

Habs should stop posturing and sign Subban, Sportsnet.ca

Habs’ salary-cap chart, capgeek.com

1. JohnBellyful says:

Tick tock. Tick tock. Tic toBOOOOOM!

2. third generation haber says:

Is it okay to discuss something besides the PK negotiation?

I’ve recently followed a great piece on allaboutthehabs.ca, called habs top 30 prospects. Very enjoyable read!

For the past 5-6 years I’ve arguably taken a bigger interest in our prospect development than I have in the habs. For me, champions are built, primarily through the draft.

You may think that our pool is not so special since Galchenyuk and Gallagher are no longer prospects, but not so. I can tell you that this same piece couldn’t have been written five years ago because our prospect pool, beyond a couple of names, was pathetic. At the time, a top 20 would have been difficult to put together. The Bulldogs, at the time, scarcely had any players we actually drafted, mostly spare parts.

If u’ve followed the top 25 under 25 on EOTP for the past few years you’ll know what I mean about the improvement in our youth movement.

The last player in the top 30 group is Josiah Didier. I’m not saying this guy is going to make the NHL, but he’s got a great chance of having a career in hockey. The 21 year old is 6-3/ 218, captain of the University of Denver, hits like a truck, and loves to block shots. A shut-down penalty killer with a mean streak who skates well, but lacks puck skills. Five years ago, this same prospect may have cracked our top 10.

The Bulldogs this year will feature ten players we drafted (didn’t include Tinordi or Beaulieu:

de la Rose, Hudon, Andrighetto, Dumont, Bozon, Crisp, Ellis, Dietz, Thrower, Bennet.

As well as three players we acquired as prospects (never played for another team) in trades:

Holland, Thomas, Pateryn.

And five undrafted players we signed straight out of college or major junior:

Carr, Nevins, Fournier, Makowski, Condon.

All of the above 18 players are under the age of 25, therefore, still developing.

The rest of the roster includes 6 veteran journeymen.

I really like the depth we are building and must add that we have 16 picks in the bank for the next 2 drafts.

j.p. murray

• BJ says:

We really are in much better shape than a few years ago. I think the Hamilton of the past two years is the final reflection of the Gainey/Gauthier days. We should be improving on the farm as of this year. I watched a lot of Bulldogs games over the last two years and they were awful.

3. New says:

Still not done huh. You know who this reminds me of? Mark Streit. Now PK hits more but Streit took people out as effectively, just not as hard. Streit had a few more points and shot better. He didn’t skate a lazy S to get between A-B. Subban is charismatic though.

People were upset about Streit leaving. But the Islanders never did anything with him, and although he got almost as many points with Philly last season as PK got in Montreal they were both beaten by the Rangers.

Remarkable. Maybe they have a template.

4. EricInStL says:

I suspect the arbitrator will give PK the same amount as Erik Karlsson 6.5 million.

They pretty much are equals. So it stands to reason that it should be that amount.

5. shiram says:

Bob McKenzieVerified account ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Negotiated settlement between PK/MTL can occur any time before arb ruling (within 48 hrs of hearing) handed down. Otherwise, it’s arb award.

6. Habilis says:

OK, now I’m worried. More than that though, I’m bitterly disappointed. Not just about P.K.’s future with the club which is now in real peril, but for the direction of the club altogether. A one year deal negotiated by an arbitrator is quite simply, a complete and utter failure by management.

• John Q Public says:

Both sides have shown their cards.

• knob says:

Yes it is.

This has the scent of MT involvement written all over it. jk.

• EricInStL says:

I truly believe the PK clan is looking to finish off their stay in MTL and leave as soon as possible.

It will come out years later that they never wanted to stay anyway.

Remember PK is a very savvy PR guy. ALWAYS says the right things depending on who he is talking to. A marketers dream if I ever did see one.

• BJ says:

Agreed. I’m not sure about his credibility if in fact he does bail out on the Habs. Saying the right things and saying things as they are, are two different things.

• BJ says:

One player cannot be bigger than the team. I’m sure that there are many considerations to look at. What do we want a team or one player to compromise a structure to win the cup? I looked at what Chicago did with Toews and Kane and it will come back to haunt them. Where is the guarantee that the cap will keep going up? Personally I’m tired of hearing about PK.

7. sprague cleghorn says:

The arbitrator is from Boston. Honest.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

8. Psycho29 says:

Retweeted by tsn690mornings
    Domenic Fazioli‏@DomenicFazioli·16 mins ·

BREAKING: Habs defenceman PK Subban and his negociation team heading into arbitration hearing this morning

9. Luke says:

Forget the 5.25 and 8.5. Those are just strategic numbers submitted to the arbiter.

I’d love to know what the real numbers being discussed are.
    I’d really love to know what the years being discussed are.

10. CharlieHodgeFan says:

You know, I’m starting to suspect Bergevin, Meehan and Subban are not taking our postings as seriously as they should.

How much of a complete idiot must one be to drive a dump truck with the dump bed raised as you cross a bridge……

Unbelievable the traffic congestion yesterday and today….

I’m hearing the arbitrator’s surname is Bellyfull…… hmmmmmm

• JohnBellyful says:

I’ve rescheduled the hearing to 10 a.m.
      I’ll let you know the day later.

Edit: They’ve given the file to someone else at the last minute. I should have left the Canadiens cap at home.

13. 416erHabsFan says:

At the end of the day Geoff Molson knows that with or without Subban he will still sellout the Bell Centre every night.

14. BJ says:

I repeat if PK does not sign before the deadline, its a one way ticket out of town. The next topic of conversation will be who do we get for him in return.

15. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I just heard on the radio that even if they go to arbitration, they still have 48hrs to negotiate because it takes that long to get a ruling. If true, this would mean that the “real” deadline is two days from now.

Happy weekend everybody…LOL.

• HairyHabist says:

The arbitrator has to make the decision within 48hrs following the hearing. During which time the 2 sides can still negotiate a deal.

But the decision can also come down immediately. And what can MB and Meehan discuss in the next 48hrs that they haven’t already talked about.

16. JohnBellyful says:

Are there any world problems we can solve while we’re in the waiting room waiting for the deal to be born?

17. Adidess says:

Is this really going to arbitration? Because I’m freaking out right now…

18. Luke says:

I’ve got my good luck fancy coffee. I honestly don’t know what else I can do.

19. HairyHabist says:

Will not having Gorges’ defensive help hurt PK’s performance in the coming year?

PK had 53 points last season. But he was also -4. That means 57 goals were scored against the Habs when he was on the ice.

15 Habs starters had a better plus / minus than PK . And many of PK’s minutes and points came on the PP.

Until PK proves he’s overcome his defensive liabilities, he doesn’t deserve to be paid like a superstar who has.

20. John Q Public says:

PK, Meehan, MB and the Judge.
    The 4 horseman ?
    The END is coming to a city near you.
    ;)

21. JohnBellyful says:

Tick tock. Tick tock. Tick tock …

22. on2ndthought says:

‘ain’t no son signed in the dawn
    and the habs just ain’t so home
    any time PK’s away
    any time PK’s away’

(Bill Withers, Hockey Expert)

“a cannonading drive”

23. Habfun says:

I am really upset!

It’s all about the CH

24. JohnBellyful says:

Relax, folks.
    Don gave me a call last night.
    They’ve agreed to a deal.
    He sounded pretty happy about it.

25. Adidess says:

I hope MB isn’t stuck looking at the deal he could have had two years ago ($5.5/6 mil per). Ouch. But that was then. New cap. Norris. Tough luck.

It could have turned out different. Two sub-par seasons and/or an ill-timed injury for Subban, and MB would be sitting pretty. That’s life. You let go of the past you can’t change, accept reality, and move on. Do it MB!

As for Subban, you have proved your worth, you deserve your new situation, but don’t rub it in. By now, I am pretty sure the deal on the table is more money than you need. Do it, sign on the dotted line!

26. Old Bald Bird says:

Are the parties bound by an arbitration agreement, or can they still negotiate? I assume they are bound, but if it’s for one year, could they work that into a longer contract, or would there have to be two contracts if they did reach further agreement?

27. UKRAINIANhab says:

stop low balling PK MB!

28. habs-fan-84 says:

A post before my morning commute to work:

In an era where we have Phil Kessel making 8M (i believe) and Dion Phaneuf making 7M we’ll have Bergevin in 2 hours making his arguments of why Subban should be at 5.25M this year, wow.

I better hear on the radio a deal is done by the time I get to the office.

• franco says:

You just proved with that one sentence, that you have know idea, whats going on. Arbitration numbers are just that, starting points, find the middle boys….find the middle.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Sigh, do you honestly think I don’t know that? Do you honestly think I did not see what happened with Eller last week and every other deal done prior to arbitration this summer?

Of course the numbers are starting points. Apparently you’re unable to comprehend what I wrote. Let me make it clear, at the end of the day Bergevin is going to have to stand up in front of the Arbitrator (in 10 minutes) and defend his position. He will have to make his arguments of why he believes Subban is worth 5.25M (on a one year deal). Meehan will do the same when defending the 8.5M figure they have provided. Naturally, the arbitrator will probably settle somewhere in the middle, 7.5ish would be my guess.

• Dust says:

those two were ufa signed deals. Can’t be used as comparison

• habs-fan-84 says:

..um, of course they can be used as a comparison. Both deals were signed under the same CBA. Yes, I know they (Kessel, Phaneuf) were UFAs this summer, just as Subban will be two summers from now (in 2016). Obviously, Subban’s deal would be structured such that the first two RFA years are at a lower pay-out and the remaining UFA years would be at a higher pay-out. The AAV should still work out above 8M.

And yes, I understand in two years time as a UFA Subban would probably command somewhere closer to 10M. However, my point is simply this, in an era where 7 and 8 million dollar deals are being handed out like candy, there is every reason to believe Subban should be paid as the star he is (8M+).

29. 44har48 says:

I say a deal will get done eventually, maybe today, maybe not. I am thrilled we have a GM that knows how to use the tools and play the game. It will benefit the future very well.

It does come down to perceived value of the player over the length of the deal at the end of the day but the bridge deal and now this negotiation is all part of the process and it sets the precedent. The Habs will have many young stars that will need to be paid, and giving big deals instead of the bridge, caving and overpaying when you have leverage, these are things that hurt you trying to build a long term winner. IMO. We can now expect Galchenyuk to get a bridge like Price, Pax, Subban, etc. We the fans might not like it and feel like WTF????, understanding that the players are human too, they are professional, and the good ones leave the ugly stuff to their agents and move on when its over.

30. Adidess says:

Sources close to the negotiations say PK will sign this morning. I mean Duh!

31. twilighthours says:

I’m going to pass the morning by painting adirondack chairs with my 5 year old daughter. What could be messy about that?

It should easily pass the time between now and 9 eastern.

Don’t worry, I’ll provide pictures because I know you’re so interested.

32. franco says:

What is a ‘hockey expert’?

What makes an expert and expert?

playing a long time, playing and coaching a long time, coaching a long time, writing a long time…..valid question.

If you have a blog are you an expert? If you know great big words, that impress, does that make you an expert.

Enough questions with no real answers.

To get hired you need to look good on camera, and able to read a telepromter smoothly.

Once you are deemed worthy and able to read at a grade 10 level, you must have some appeal….outspoken, soft spoken, camera friendly face, good smile. Okay you pass, for the sake of arguement.

Now the big test, you are on the panel etc. What is your stand, how do you stand out from the crowd.

Just sit and stare at the camera won’t work, must say something. You cannot say…..I just don’t know, there are so many sides to the discussion, so many things I do not know. You can be like the old pro Mckenzie and say things like ‘many people think’ it has been observed by many, time will tell how this turns out…….things like that, so later you will realize he just said ‘nothing’ for sure.

So back to the rookie, he stars at the camera and says…I do not know. Later at the one on one meeting it is made clear….YOU HAVE TO HAVE AN OPINION, outrageous….great….stupid…great…uninformed…better…JUST HAVE AN OPINION!

So he realizes to keep a good paying high profile job that might evoke a response, negative or otherwise, is way better then…I just don’t know.

You have to know, we need viewers, we need sponsors. Fans call you an idiot…..better to be an idiot with a job, then a man of integrity without one.

Don Cherry dresses like a fool and critiques the way men dress. Would be considered stupid 20 years ago. Today, just keep rambling and stirring the pot….keep the entertainment, the fan reaction and the dollars flowing…………..amen

33. Mavid ® says:

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

34. Old Bald Bird says:

I am reading this morning of some discussion last night about the Habs historically being a bit parsimonious with salaries for top players. Thinking of trading for Gomez and signing Cammelleri and Gionta in that one year, I am not too sure this is the case. It could be argued that they overpay with guys like Prust, Briere and Gorges.

• Cal says:

The Habs overpay the ordinary and attempt to shortchange the extraordinary player. Historically, The Habs have had trouble when it comes to signing stars. They had all kinds of problems signing Jean Beliveau, who was and remains, without a doubt, the classiest Hab to ever put on the sweater. PK is way more flamboyant on the ice than le gros Bill ever was, but when he speaks to the media, the message is the same that Beliveau delivered.

• 44har48 says:

Well said…

• Old Bald Bird says:

Hopefully, the era of overpaying ordinary players is over. The Habs seem to be becoming a more attractive destination, so maybe it will end.

• franco says:

They wanted to give Beliveau the standard contract of the time. He was doing so well in Quebec, suits, cars, money, love, they bought the whole team, not to lose him.

He did not have stars in his eyes, he was doing fine thank you. So they had to hand over some money. Never gave in to emotion, and realized that Montreal was not his only option.

To compare that era to this era, where teams are pushing billion dollar incomes. Some people fail to realize that a team makes profits many ways. They are divided up and not really counted in, (accounting magic). Then at the end of the season, every season the league cuts them a cheque for millions more. There franchises gain money all the while….making selling a bonanza of riches.

Subban is going to get what the markets will bear, (it will bear a lot) it could be 25 million a year if there were other players that would have broken that barrier. Without the salary cap that is where it would be. But the owners took a stand and put in a salary cap, that legally makes them spend within a framework. Otherwise it would known as collusion.

Everybody wins, the fretful fans, the rich players, the richer owners and everyone else with a dog in this fight. Rogers, Coke, Beer, all advertisers……everybody wins, so get out your wallet smuck and pay and smile while you do and point to the Corporate logo with pride.

• habstrinifan says:

That was my point… thank you!

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

35. PK says:

This will be an interesting morning on HIO…..still the same thread….and no early morning announcement….yet.

36. JF says:

If this goes to arbitration, the Habs’ “lack of respect” for P.K. and the way Therrien is driving him out of town will be dominant topics on HIO for the whole of the coming season.

• Cal says:

MB has to show PK the money. The Habs most dominant player simply must be signed. IF it goes to arbitration, I expect the HIO gremlins to come out and shut the site down like yesterday. For myself, I want PK signed for 8 years at an average of $9mil. It’s time Habs management realize it’s the 21st century and your star players are paid crazy money.

37. Cal says:

What? No 3AM announcement? I am shocked.

38. If a deal is not reached today? One has to figure it has to do with the dollar amount Subban’s agent is asking for or MB is playing low ball again? Just have to wait and see where this is leading to? Hope a deal gets done today???

Wonder how the relationship with MT and Subban will play out this coming year? IMO, PK should be able to take his game to another level. Look at Karlsson, Letang, Doughty and Keith be able to play a offensive game by going end to end. Why can Subban be able to free wheel when opportunity exist? Just my two cents worth!!

39. jols says:

Go PK Go!!! Go directly to your agents office and sign the last minute offer Mr. Bergevin has sent him early this morning…

40. lizard ranger says:

I’m a fourty year old man and I cant get enough PK info or speculation at this point . Why do I care so much about a 25 year old kid that plays hockey . Its freakin summer and I’m reading hockey blogs all day every day . It’s madness .

76 years @ 76 million per should get er done

I have no clue what $ amount to be happy with at this point . What is fair ????

• Rob says:

In my opinion, for an 8 year contract, anything under 9 million is very fair. 9 or above would be defensible, but could hurt the club moving forward. If PK’s camp asks for anything below 8 million, you sign the deal right away. Either way, as long as PK is actually looking for an 8 year deal, I think this gets done. If he doesn’t want it, though, or if he’s asking for astronomical money for all those UFA years…..well that’s where I can see there being a serious impasse.

Oh and as to why you care so much?…you’re a Habs fan. Logical behaviour is not exactly synonymous with the cause. All part of the fun (and pain) though!

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

41. habstrinifan says:

Well this is dumb. I’m off to bed… I think!

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

42. Rob says:

wish we knew what time Bergevin’s and Meehan’s alarms were set for tomorrow morning. That way we could all coordinate.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

43. habstrinifan says:

This bridge contract ‘victory’ by MB aint lookin so good tonite.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• Ozmodiar says:

Have you considered what PK might make if he were to become a UFA in 2017?

That’s what we’d be looking at if there was no bridge.

Not only that, the Habs were pretty tight against the cap the last couple of years. Who would have been the cap casualties had PK been making an extra $3M?

• habstrinifan says:

I am not dismissing the financial considerations. But they weren’t forwarded ‘publicly’ by MB as the reasons for the bridge term. It was staged as a trial period for P.K character wise.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• Ozmodiar says:

I don’t recall MB mentioning PK’s character.

The trial period angle is another good reason for the bridge.

At the time of the bridge, *a lot* of folks were comparing PK to Michael Del Zotto. I’ll bet the Rangers are glad they used the trial period at their disposal. It can go either way with those youngin’s.

• Habilis says:

I thought that too, until I heard a Brian Wilde radio spot recently where he said that MB had the chance -when PK’s contract expired just before the lockout started- to sign PK to a 10 year, 50 million dollar deal. Apparently PK was ready to go on that but MB held out for the bridge, all the way until PK signed his bridge 6 games in.

Now I don’t know how true that is, but Wilde wouldn’t have said it if he didn’t believe it.

I get that PK was way more of an unknown then and I get the cap squeeze. But man, that contract would have been the best in the NHL the season after it was signed.

I still think this all gets done, but that info definitely puts a dent in MB’s negotiating prowess, at least in my eyes.

44. habstrinifan says:

See I am not that stooooopid. The ‘experts’ on TSN690 (well they are on the radio aren’t they) are making the same observation I made in a post. Historically speaking HABS are a frugal club and have never really paid top dollar.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• Rob says:

not in terms of salary…just in terms of trade return :S

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• Habilis says:

I didn’t think your original comment was stooooopid even though I disagreed.

The reason I think it will get done -yes, I still do- is because I think MB is a smart guy. Forget smart, he’s just not a fool. Because it would take a fool to let this go to arbitration. There is simply no value in that for the Habs. None.

I get the historical angle and all, I just don’t buy it. MB is new, Molson wants to win, and the Habs make a boat load of money. No excuses indeed.

• Marc10 says:

I don’t see the Habs being frugal. They’ve just never had to pay superstar money for ages. Give them a Kane or a Toews with a couple of cups under their belts and they’d be paying what Chicago is paying.

Cammalleri got good coin from the Habs. So did Gomez and Gio for that matter. Habs weren’t frugal then. They were overpaying IMO.

45. CHicoHab says:

There is no way a deal gets done tomorrow before the 9 or 10 am deadline. PK will be paid exactly double what he made last year. Arbitrator will do that. Which is pretty good IMO. And because the system allows this to happen so be it. He’s still RFA with one year to go. We do it again all over next year. Who gets hurt. No one does. Habs don’t over pay which I suspect is the case. PK gets a 100% increase over last year and shouldn’t complain. Let’s get ready for the 2014/2015 and move on.

• Rob says:

forgetting any possibility of the relationship being strained by the process of arbitration, the party who gets hurt is the Montreal Canadiens. If this thing goes to arbitration, one of two things happens. 1) they settle on a long term contract at some time in the next two years that will have a higher cap hit than the one they’d settle on now due to less number of RFA years helping to bring down the AAV. or 2) they lose PK Subban. Either way…there’s no way to look at it other than as a loss for the club.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• Habilis says:

^What he said^

• Ozmodiar says:

The long-term deal might be a bit more expensive a year from now, but next season would be cheaper, and they’d get PK for 9 years (assumes LT contract is 8 years) instead of 8.

One thing that MB might be considering is that there aren’t a lot of big name UFA/RFA d-men who are due big raises in 2015, so maybe the market for d-men stays somewhat flat.

• Rob says:

except next year is the year we have the most cap flexibility and are least worried about the number

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

46. WVHabsfan says:

I am up Trin but I am at work. We need to sign PK right away!!!

47. habsfan0 says:

IMHO, a deal will get done with PK at the last moment.
    While MB has his duty as GM to sign Subban as economically as possible given the limitations of the cap to sign other players, I’m sure Bergevin does not want to alienate the future captain of the Habs who will be the face of the franchise for many years to come.

48. habstrinifan says:

Where F is everybody?

Am I the only one up?

What if something breaks?

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

49. habstrinifan says:

As a fan of P.K and the HABS I think 8yrs at 7.3 should be 8yrs at 7.5 and signed in the AM.

I will grudgingly be ok with 8 but over that I cant compute the benefits.

And I know it may be ‘low’ based on what the market says.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• Rob says:

I want the Habs to get PK at as reasonable a number as possible, but when push comes to shove, I’d take him at any number under 10. I know that may not make the best business sense, but if we lose PK over 1 or 2 million dollars per year, I’m certain we will regret it for the rest of his career.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

50. habstrinifan says:

I think MB, justifiably and prudently in his mind, is playing hardball and is holding at around 6 to max. He has the upper hand in that P.K is HABS property for next 2 yrs period. The danger is that the arbitration process means that he most likely has to pay minimum 7m for next 2 yrs and then it’s P.K’s choice where he goes.

If it goes to arbitration,it ends up being one of two messages .
    One from the club to the public and to P.K about P.K specifically.
    Or one to the players about the club’s willingness to pay the ‘market value’ to all players.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

51. Marc10 says:

Gotta give MB credit. He’s lined things up pretty well. Markov is signed. Eller is signed. He swapped out Gorges and signed Gilbert to a more reasonable deal. Weise and Weaver were signed for reasonable money. Danny B got replaced by a younger more productive PA. Gio and Vanek are off the books. We have Sekac with a chance at cracking the lineup.

It’s a pretty darn good job… assuming he locks down PK for the long term. Go Marc Go!

• Al Burtlap says:

Been lurkin’ in the weeds but been readin’
      and when i read this it gave me this feelin’
      that we’ll get what we get and we won’t be upset
      cause Marc Bergevin has us believin’

52. habstrinifan says:

I think overlooked in all this is the HABS historical parsimony as far as salaries.
    Think I am exaggerating, look back at how many times despite their great list of superstars have the HABS been at the forefront of the salary charts.
    Their pattern is to pay the middle of the road to just above salaries (in this era 5 to 6 mill) salaries to washed up stars. Most recent was the last big buck defenseman…W???, who they let walk only to try and fill the holes with that washed-up player/salary.

I am not saying they are right or wrong.. I am saying that pattern is the established method they use.

But the HABS have not had to shelve out gargantuan dollars to any recent home grown talent within my recent memory.

The term bridge contract is mis-applied in their case… none of our players have really gone from a bridge contract to a big bucks contract that matches their counterparts in the NHL.

Case in point… Price and Pacs.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• Ozmodiar says:

There’s no point in looking back to previous ownership / management, not to mention a pre-salary cap era, to try to find a pattern for how the Habs pay their players. The history isn’t relevant. Different folks making the decisions, different economics, and so on…

In the salary cap era, the Habs haven’t doled out gargantuan contracts to home grown superstars because there’s been no homegrown superstars (besides Price). It has nothing to do with a philosophy of how players should be payed.

The case in point, regarding Price is incorrect. He signed a bridge contract, then got paid the big bucks to match his counterparts … higher than Quick, and a little less than King Henrik at the time.

53. Habifax says:

Prediction. He is sleeping like a baby.

54. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Out of here too. Tomorrow I will be drinking a beer at lunch celebrating PK’s new contract.

55. Cal says:

Looks like another last minute Meehan deal.
    If not, all those who like to freak out will have been given license to do so. Isn’t arbitration fun?

56. Habifax says:

If MB just threw money at Subban he would not be doig his job. He has a team salary structure to think about. As well 8 years is a long time to be a top self NHL player. I have no problem with some tough bargaining.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

He also knows that Meehan was going to squeeze him to the end regardless of what he offers. If he would have started with a high offer, Meehan would have just gone higher. No point. MB is just playing along till the last hour when the deal will be made.

57. habfan100 says:

I’m off to bed.

Here’s hoping to some great news in the AM! G’night all.

58. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Is everyone sweating yet?

59. habfan100 says:

The Habs presenting a case to the Arbitrator that PK is $5.25M defenseman in this league is like telling the teacher your dog at your homework in elementary school.

It’s no doubt the Arbitrator sides with P.K. I don’t think he gets the $8.5M but he gets something between $7.5M-$8M.

Please don’t let it happen.

60. UKRAINIANhab says:

Bridge deal: MB only screw up.

• habfan100 says:

I don’t have a huge issue with it, it keeps players on the cheap for 5 years and makes them prove themselves. It’s important in this cap era.

Having said that, PK has earned his long term deal. He proved himself to MB and now there’s an arbitration hearing scheduled for tomorrow morning? Come on. PK deserves his payday.

As Teddy KGB said in Rounders…”Pay him, pay that man his maaney.”

• Rob says:

I understand why the bridge can be perceived as a mistake, but I think if you look at the greater scheme of creating a club policy of not offering big contracts to players coming off entry level deals, it makes a lot of sense and, while it will cost them more in this particular case with PK, it will save the Habs down the road in terms of dollars and the inherent risks involved with young players

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Problem is we do not know what PK was asking for so it is tough to blame MB on that one without any facts.

61. habfan100 says:

MB has to know that the Arbitrator will award P.K. a minimum of $7M as P.K. has a strong case. What the heck is the point of offering $7.3M? (if that is true) Doesn’t make sense.

62. PK says:

Something to read and/or listen to:

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

63. UKRAINIANhab says:

I think Our buddy Ek started that rumor, could be wrong…

64. habs-fan-84 says:

Well I waited all day, hit the refresh button more than I can count and received nothing in return. That’s it for me. Talk to ya all in the morning.

…who am I kidding, I’m so pathetic I’ll probably wake up in the middle of the night, roll over and check my cell for any news, sigh.

Cheers,

65. Habifax says:

twitter says 8 x 7.3mil for #76 is the offer

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

He’s not signing that…I wouldn’t either.

• Harditya says:

PK can easily earn more than that. Hard to see him accept that offer if that is indeed the offer.

• Habifax says:

seeing how he is not a free agent I don’t see how he can more than the team is offering. if he goes to the hearig he leaves over 45 million o the table from this offer if this is the offer.

• Harditya says:

You are right my friend. It is the UFA years that is the issue. He will demand the market value for those UFA years and that can easily hit 9+ million.

• habfan100 says:

He can get $7M minimum in arbitration, and if he has a hell of a season where hes nominated and/or wins the Norris, he pretty much holds all the cards during next year’s negotiations, and at that point, him staying a hab long term are very slim.

This is the best time to sign PK to a long term deal. Do it next year and you will most likely overpay by $1.5M and that’s if you haven’t soured all negotiations.

• Habifax says:

if he gets 7 mil and then has a bad year or get injured badly then what? Chances of winning a Norris are about what? 10 -30 %.

• habfan100 says:

No way P.K. takes that deal. He’s pretty much guaranteed that amount in arbitration and will probably get a little more on a 1 year deal. Makes no sense for him to take that deal.

I thought it would have been at least $8Mx8

66. JohnBellyful says:

Why, why, WHY did I stay up to watch the Ticats lose!!! Again!
    It’s beginning to wear on me, this losing.
    Football games. Car keys. Glasses. Mind.

67. tab says:

That’s correct giroux and a golf cart incident hurt his hand last year why the slow start and now this summer a night in jail for partying it up with 19 year olds at a bar with street closes cop who had enough

68. habsgod says:

the score is reporting the habs have made a huge offer to subban it’s believed to be an 8 yr deal

• habfan100 says:

8 Years $70M that’s my guess!, Say it is so!!! PLEASE!

• Rob says:

It’s coming John. The only way this one doesn’t get done is if PK doesn’t want to sign long term. Otherwise, the fact that the Habs have offered a max year deal shows that the only thing left to iron out is the dollar amount. It’s in PK’s court now. Show you want to be a Hab lifer like you said and we will all be celebrating the new contract tomorrow.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

69. habfan100 says:

In my opinion, one of two scenarios occur.

1) Last minute 8 Year $8.5-$9M contract awarded to P.K.

2) Arbitrator awards P.K. $7.5-8M, and we get to see P.K. in a Habs uniform for at least another season, go through this process again next year.

Option #2 is a curse at this point. If this happens you better watch out, because P.K. will most likely play the best hockey of his career at this point, maybe a Norris winner or nomination. And what happens this time next year? MB and Meehan duke it out again, except more balls are in Meehan’s court. Talk about at least a $10M x 8 deal.

Next year, if you go to Arbitration, which is 99% likely if arbitration occurs tomorrow, you might as well trade him.

MB said PK had to earn the blockbuster deal. He has earned it, no questions. Price earned it and so did P.K.

If PK is awarded an arbitration deal, we see PK as a Hab for one more season, hate to say it. Unless of course MB ponies up the bigger bucks next July.

• PK says:

See my post below

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If PK does not sign long term, he’s gone. The distraction to the team will be ridiculous. Imagine the rumours and the constant media speculation and questions. MB won’t allow that. The Habs have to pay him or get rid of him. They are going to pay him…they would be stupid not to.

70. db says:

My sources are saying 8 years…

• twilighthours says:

I can’t wait until this is CONFIRMED.

• PK says:

Need that CONFIRMED guy fer sure ….
        Where is that poster??

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
        _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

71. SmartDog says:

With all the PK talk I’ve heard little about Ramage and Lacroix.
    I remember both as players a bit but know nothing about them as coaches.
    Comments? Insight? Got any?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

72. tab says:

Agree giroux is a better talent, but at 5:9 he may wear down over time, PK would be a marketing dream in Philly not sure they need to sell seats however

73. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The only posters that will be happy if PK doesn’t sign long term are the “Timo haters” because Timo’s head will explode.