Habs’ Subban already in gym training for next season; Gorges could be on way out

While his agent, Don Meehan, negotiates with Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin about a new contract for P.K. Subban, the restricted free-agent defenceman is already back in the gym.

Subban told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs that he is already training for next season after taking a 10-day break.

“I don’t believe in taking too much time off,” Subban told Stubbs. “As you’re training, you want to take time off as you feel you need it. As of now, I’m just getting my body warmed up for the hard training that’s coming in July and August.”

Subban added with a laugh: “If I’m sitting on my couch for two or three weeks, I don’t know a player who won’t put on weight doing that. I just like to be active. If I go two days without working out, I feel uncomfortable. The old saying is: ‘If you’re not working, are other guys?’ So you’ve got to ask yourself that question.

“I’m always working on something. I had a four-day road trip (last week to Vancouver and Las Vegas) and I probably should have slept in today, taken a day to recuperate,” Subban told Stubbs when they spoke Thursday morning.

“But I got into the gym at 8 a.m. and I feel 10 times better than when I woke up this morning. That’s something I tell young guys all the time: stay in the gym. They’ve got to figure out what that means, but stay in the gym.”

Meanwhile, there are reports the Canadiens are trying to trade defenceman Josh Gorges to the Toronto Maple Leafs, but his modified no-trade clause could be holding things up.

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie tweeted Monday that the Leafs are still hoping Gorges will waive his no-trade clause. If that happens, McKenzie stated “it’s believed Montreal would get a roster player from Toronto” in exchange.

When reached by The Gazette’s Stubbs, Gorges said: “I want people to know that I never wanted to leave Montreal. In no way has this been my decision.”

(Gazette file photo/John Mahoney)

Gym a bit part of summer for Subban, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs taking all the right steps, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

Habs GM Bergevin continues to be busy, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Sons try to follow dads at NHL draft, by  Pat Hickey

Salary cap could spark necessary trades, montrealgazette.com

Leafs in pursuit of Gorges, TSN.ca

Could Habs trade Gorges to Leafs? sportsnet.ca

Vanek, Stastny, Iginla highlight UFA forwards, NHL.com

Habs take Russian Scherbak with first-round pick, by Pat Hickey

Dream come true for Scherbak (video), canadiens.com

Habs take defenceman Lernout with second pick at draft, by Pat Hickey

Not a good year for Quebec at NHL draft, by Pat Hickey

Habs prospect McCarron remains a work in progress, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Coyotes buy out Ribeiro for ‘behaviour issues,’ Arizona Rebublic

1. Adidess says:

Lots of talk here about Subban breaking the bank, I am not overly concerned with it ($7.5 or $8 mil per is fair). MB put himself in this position (though one understands what his thinking was), but he needs to put up now. Unless he’d rather trade his star defenseman.

We could have had Subban at $5 mil for eternity, but MB thought he needed to be convinced. All PK did was go out and win the Norris Trophy. He led the teams in points for most of this season, and was the Habs’ brightest star in the playoffs, going into RFA status. He’s eligible for arbitration and holds the cards.

I have to tell you, I don’t expect Subban to give the team a discount. I would not leave money on the table, if I were in his position. That Norris Trophy year could have gone in the opposite direction for him (head injuries, broken leg, major dips in performance or whatever) and MB would have been in a position to say, ‘well, I dodged a bullet’. Now the opposite happened, just deal with it.

• habstrinifan says:

I think MB should listen to Gionta. After all Gionta knows a pleyer’s worth isnt always shown on the ice.

We have so many players whose worth aren’t always shone on the ice.

rotest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• songles says:

You think Subban would have accepted a long-term deal at $5 million per year? Subban took a short-term, short-changed deal knowing that it was in his best interest. He went out and won the Norris and became the most dynamic, money making franchise defenseman in the league. Bergevin has to pay the guy now, but he knew that going in. He got his “proof”, and now he’ll pay fair market price, and P.K. will be the face of this franchise for 10 years. In the meantime, we’ve got Pacioretty on the cheap, so in a sense it evens out anyway.

• Adidess says:

From what I understand, PK was never offered a long-term deal. The decision to go ‘bridge’ was MB’s alone, which led to the hold-out apparently.

Now I could be wrong (so please someone help me here), but I believe the decision was based on team’s philosophy that we do bridge with young players, and no exception was going to be made for Subban, as none was made for Price.

• New says:

Tell you the truth, if you’re correct (…became the most dynamic, money making franchise defenseman in the league…) then Bergevin should trade Subban. The Canadiens don’t need money, they need Cups. Lots of teams with players who could win Cups need money.

The Norris is voted on by the professional hockey writers. In 2014 PK Subban was tied for 14th on the list with one third place vote and one fifth place vote. (6 weighted points as opposed to Keiths 1033 weighted points, Doughty’s 284 weighted points, or Markov’s 3 weighted points.

• habs001 says:

Why the best league in the world cannot have the best players available for each roster spot is frustrating..The cap basically tells scouts draft well but no too well as eventually you will not be able to keep all your picks..

2. habstrinifan says:

I am just asking so please no anger.
    I do not think Toronto is proposing a straight Gorges-Kadri deal.. if McKenzie’s rumours are correct.

NOTE: I would be absolutely elated if they are and we do it.

So if it is not a straight one for one deal.. what if it is for example an ELLER-GORGES deal for Kadri+.

I am very fearful re Eller. I love his potential.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

3. Psycho29 says:

Pierre LeBrun‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun·2 mins

Still some 8-10 teams on Vanek radar. Minnesota among them but as noted last week, not interested in long term deal.
    Told that Vanek is not put off by that, still likes Min as an option. But may also get huge offer elsewhere Tuesday so he’ll have to decide

4. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Yesterday posters dissing Andi Petrillo and today some of you want The Princess Pylon from the Laffs? The Cops snuffing Bripro?! Its got to be the Heat. Keep your Fluids up amigos! Plenty of Fluids and Smoke”em if you Got”em.Saludos!

5. Hobie says:

Before the Habs acquired Tomas Vanek they were a good, tight, team that played steady defence. With help from an outstanding goaltender named Carey Price backing them up. When they acquired Vanek the went from a good team to a very good team with a lethal offense. He faded in the playoffs for whatever reason.

If Habs management wants to regain the form they had after the trade deadline last year they must add another scoring winger.

If it’s via trading Josh Gorges or signing a big UFA, they need to get something done. otherwise we’re a middle of the pack team.

• habstrinifan says:

Agree!
      Only question I have is the ‘hint’ of regular season excellence which the phrase “faded in the playoffs” imply.

For whatever reason, the acquisition of Vanek didnt make us as “lethal offense” as it should have. If we blame it all on Vanek we may be miissing adjustments which we must make after filing the void he left.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

6. SmartDog says:

A couple of thoughts this morning:

On Marc Bergevin’s drafting:
    I know people are not thrilled about the Brett Lernout pick, but Bergevin has picked up 3 guys in Lernout, McCarron, and Tinordi, aimed at making the Habs a bigger, tougher team. All 3 have good skating for their size and some other ability – McCarron a nose for the net, Lernout a mean streak, Tinordi an inhuman reach. You may not agree with all that MB does, but every GM has to gamble. If you don’t gamble at all you don’t win. You draft the same type of player over and over. But you need a mix and Bergevin is taking care of that. The one thing we’re most in need of now is scoring wingers. So what did he take with his first pick? A big, skilled, scoring winger. I have to say, whatever happens I think he’s making good decisions. And we could be a very tough team in 2-3 years because of them.

On PK:
    PK has hinted that there is something interesting and maybe unexpected going on in his negotiations. What do you think this could be? PK wants a full 8-year term and the Habs don’t? The Habs want full term and PK wants short? It’s curious. And most people would say the latter, but I say the former. PK has said he wants to be a Hab and stay a Hab and I think if he says it, it’s true. It will be interesting to find out when the dust settles. What do you think?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Harditya says:

Good post Smartdog, hate to nitpick but Tinordi and Beaulieu were Pierre Gauthier picks.

• JohnInTruro says:

Don’t think Bergy drafted Tinordi, but I’m not upset about these picks. Not thrilled about McCarron but not upset. Hopefully he becomes a serviceable 3rd liner. Lernout? 3rd round pick not that big of a deal if he doesn’t pan out. They obviously saw something they wanted there.

• habstrinifan says:

” PK has said he wants to be a Hab and stay a Hab and I think if he says it, it’s true.”

PK has also said that it will be a business decision if he leaves. And I think he means that too.

Let’s get rid of our rose coloured glasses here.

Not everyone on the HABS team will be excited or think P.K deserves a huge contract.

Not everyone in HABS management think that P.K deserves a huge contract.

P.K’S contract wont be easy. And it shouldnt mean that P.K is a villain.

We should all be ready to move on if needs be. There is too much evidence to ignore clues that this will be a fight which could end WELL or BADLY.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• SmartDog says:

I agree with your post. I’m sure he’s not universally loved but PK is entitled to what he can get. The Habs won the first battle, and Therrien’s treatment of him (and 4 year contract extension) is something that rightly might hinder an easy deal. I can’t imagine a Norris trophy winner on another team being reminded over and over that he has a lot to learn.

If PK goes, good for him but I think it will be because they low-balled him. And I’m sure we’ll get a great return. But like everyone here (I think) I prefer he stays.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Habfan17 says:

Lernout could become another Lyle Odelein! Who wouldn’t want an Odelein?

Habfan17

7. Arnou Ruelle says:

If there will be a trade coming soon, I wish the Habs could get from TOR either JVR or Bozak + a 2nd or 3rd round pick for 2015 draft, take or leave.

The Leafs should be ready to give up a high-end player if they want the services of Josh Gorges. I don’t think its fair to trade a mediocre like a Phaneuf or a Kadri to come here.

• Hobie says:

The only player in your post that could possibly come this way for Gorges is Bozak. All the other players you mentioned are a class or two above Gorges.

• Harditya says:

wishful thinking, but JVR has a Pacioretty-like contract. Young 30 goal scorers with a 4 M cap hit are not acquired by giving Josh Gorges lol. Can’t lie, but it would very awkward.. or it’s awkward to see any former Hab player in a Leafs jersey.

8. arya13 says:

What do you think our chances are to land Iginla? He’s looking for a two + year deal, probably in the range of 5 – 7 million.

I think he would be perfect for two years, worth maybe doing three. Fills a hole perfectly for us.

9. Adidess says:

Gorges isn’t the kind of player/talent I would worry about trading to a division rival. He’ll play hard for them, give them everything, maybe even inspire them to play harder as a group, but there’s only so much there for Gorges to give.

He might block even more shots when we play the Leafs, yeah big deal!

• CJ says:

My only concern is that in order to move Gorges, we are going to need to accept a player with dollar and term. That’s the salary cap era. So, if it’s a roster player, who fits that description? Gleason, Lupol? I don’t know. I stand by my comment that one of Markov, Gorges or Emelin will be moved. It looks like Gorges could be the odd man out. I only hope Price is ok with it…..

10. DipsyDoodler says:

Yzerman is dismantling his team. Not necessarily a bad idea. They were really not very good except for their keeper.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

11. kerrgte says:

Gorges, at 29, has 4 more years of $3.9mill / yr of cap hit.

He gave no more value than Weaver who was about $1 mill.

Gorges has had his chance. He’s done nothing to improve his offensive game, and his overall value to the team.

Gorges has to go – ANYWHERE

12. Hobie says:

If the Leafs add Josh Gorges, after already obtaining Roman Polak, their defence looks a lot better.

13. Arnou Ruelle says:

Man oh man! The laffs are so persistent to get Gorges, they will do everything, even wreck their core lineup to get him. Who’s going to be the dude open for the trade? Joffrey Lupul…???

14. Prop says:

Uugh… I hate the fact that Gorges could go to Toronto.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

15. huge_polar_bear says:

I would guess that if the Habs trade Georges, it is to make room for Pateryn/Tinordi/Beaulieu

So if that is the case, we would get a forward from Toronto and probably sign the dream Weaver as a 5-6 D. Maybe we are getting nastier, Colton Orr or getting talent in Kadri (everyone else on the Leafs has no trades clauses and since the news that came out only mentions Georges and his no trade, makes you wonder)

16. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Gorges for Kadri… would you do it?

17. BriPro says:

Moderated already?
    Wow! That didn’t take long….
    Somebody is sensitive on this fine Monday morning.
    Good day all!

18. Thurston says:

Dan Boyle on Habs’ radar?

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 1m
    Dan Boyle will have multiple offers tomorrow on a 2 yr deal. TB, Tor, Det, NYR and Mtl believed to be his top 5. #TSN

• Habfan17 says:

On a two year deal, perhaps not a bad move! Paired with Emelin. I think I would rather see Gilbert though!

Habfan17

• Habitforming says:

Ha!

Everyone worried about signing Markov to a three year deal, and yet have NO ISSUES with signing a 39 year old for 2 years at a min of $5M ?

• ElMcFoldo says:

1. They should be making an offer to Brian Boyle, not Dan. He is a beast of a man who can win draws, kill penalties and has decent hands.

2. Then we can flip Plekanec for a solid RHD to clear up the logjam at center.

3. I doubt Gorges would ever waive his NTC to go to Toronto, but it would be great to move his cap hit and bring in a bigger, righty on D so Emelin can go back to his natural side.

19. Thurston says:

More on the Gorges front:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 3m
    TOR still hoping MTL D Josh Gorges will waive modified NTC to allow trade to TOR. If so, it’s believed MTL would get roster player from TOR.

• HabFab says:

As long as it is not Phaneuf.

• franco says:

You wouldn’t take Phaneuf?

He would actually fit in, for Montreal, except for the big contract.

If he was around 4 million for another 3 years he would be a steal.

He plays big minutes against the best forwards.

• Habfan17 says:

No, not Phaneuf. Cody Franson. He is a righty and the Habs have enough lefties. Not to mention if they were to take Phaneuf, how could MB justify anything less than $8 million for Subban?

Habfan17

• huge_polar_bear says:

What if Toronto eats a part of the stupid salary, say we get him for a 4 million cap hit? I would do that deal…

• Habfan17 says:

No way, it still causes more problems than it solves. We diss Pahneuf all season, He is too slow, he is dirty, he can’t keep up, he won’t drop them unless it is with smaller guys, etc…. Why would the Habs want him? Bring him in and neither Tinordi or Beaulieu are making the team with Markov and Emelin already on the left side.
          Emelin would drop to the 3rd pair.

Habfan17

• huge_polar_bear says:

Yes I agree, the more I think about it the more I think it may be a forward coming back to make room on our D-Corps for some new blood.

• Harditya says:

Hard to see him get traded within the division, let alone Toronto. MB wouldn’t make that move as much as Toronto inquires for him. Unless that ‘roster player’ is JVR haha

20. Maritime Ronn says:

Jim – CJ,

The only folks that really know what’s going on in The Room are the players themselves.

When you get a group of 20-25 guys together that practically live together for 8 months, stuff is going to happen.

These are all confident athletes with egos, different personalities, and backgrounds – and in many cases, huge cultural differences.

Some are married with children-some are single-some starting their careers-some finishing-some making big bucks-others not so much.

For all these reasons, off-ice clicks happen all the time.

What’s important is what goes on…On The Ice.
    It’s all about RESPECT for your mates and your team.

A player earns his respect by first-his play on the ice, and secondly, his conduct off the ice…and negatively, if it affects the team as a whole (too much partying as an example)

Work hard-don’t cheat…and especially don’t make another player look bad or put him in a vulnerable position.
    If a player does that, he will be Respected.
    Being “Liked” is a bonus, and cannot be forced on others.

• Captain aHab says:

All the players hated Scotty Bowman but loved winning with him.

—————-
      Prepare to be boarded!!

• BriPro says:

A metaphor for life.
      Who says lessons in hockey can only apply to hockey.
      Good morning Ron.
      Who’s working out in God’s country today?

• franco says:

A metaphor for hockey.

Who says lessons in ‘life’ can only apply to life.

Lessons in life can be applied to hockey.

Sometimes you lie and put on a good face on something.

Sometimes you cheat a little, and hope to get away with it.

Sometimes you complain for no good reason.

Sometimes you hate some people for good reason.

Sometimes you hate some people for no good reason.

You hate showboats, especially if they can back it up.

You wish you could do what they do so effortlessly.

This could go on all day so I will just say ‘happy trails, until we meet again…..Roy and Dale.

• ont fan says:

If you have played in a sport with elite players, you know everyone isn’t chummy with each other. There are always small groups, but when you get on the playing field that all goes away, if you are a winning team. Winning will bring you together rather quickly.

• franco says:

When you think about it, it is not possible to get along with everyone and expect to have character and integrity.

Some people rub you the wrong way.

They may be conceited, loud, insulting, mean.

They may speak their mind, and the truth may hurt.

So complicated, to deal with loud mouth bullies and high five them when the public is watching

• JUST ME says:

I mostly hate when someone not from the actual room comments on what is happening, former players ,media personnalities or 24 ch or whatever. You have to be in a player`s room in the moment to know the feeling and the general mood. That being said you cannot expect everyone to like everyone. That`s the thruth about every team about every familly. You do not choose those people you have to live with so you have to make the best of it.
      It`s the same here in HIO `s room , some like some players some don`t. Some like some chatters , some don`t.

• Habfan10912 says:

Solid points Ron. Can’t dissgree.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

2014 HIO FAN SUMMIT GAME
    WILL BE NOV. 8 VS GUY LAPOINTE (scout) & THE WILD.
    We think this date will be sweater retirement night for Guy.

Summit ticket price pending a call to me from the Bell Center. They are not sure if this is going to be an optimum game or not.

I will let you know when to order by sending your money order’s to me. They will confirm our group price for this game in about a week or so.

Do not book your flights until the Bell Center confirms to me. I will let you know right here.

I can have as many tickets as we need, but you will have a very small window of time in which to send me your money order’s before the Bell Center puts them out to the general public at regular price.
    So act quickly once I let you know the price.
    It should be another great time for all HIO members again!
    Ian

22. CJ says:

Good morning folks.

It might just be me, but the more I read the headline, “Habs Subban already in gym training for next season,” the more I dislike it. IMO, every player, either those who played in the NHL last season, or whom aspires to join the fraternity this year, is in the gym training. It’s the equivalent of posting that Tiger Woods is on the driving range preparing for the next tournament.

Anyway, just something that’s stuck with me. It must be the hot weather that’s got me irritable lol.

• Captain aHab says:

I think it’s just you CJ…I doubt Subban was contacting media to tell them to do this write-up. Subban is clearly one of the faces of the Habs and reporters need to fill columns….

I think Subban will be signed long term very very soon. Habs need to stop trading quality players because they have a non-vanilla personality.

—————-
      Prepare to be boarded!!

• CJ says:

Just to clarify, I am not suggesting that the article is PK’s doing. I agree, the vacuum needs to be filled with information, and the articles pertaining to PK are all well done. It’s just the headline that sticks like a thorn in my paw, if only because it’s stating the obvious.

• JUST ME says:

Agree completely but that`s HIO for you ! Just taking sides without saying openly…Today, if you get to training camp with a beer belly you just do not have a job ! Used to be such a typical and almost laughable scene at the end of summer time when the player would get to the camp with his cigarette and overweight…Times did change.

• CJ says:

I remember Lemieux saying that his notion of training was to stop putting ketchup on his fries two weeks before camp started.

You’re right though, so much has changed. Many athletes now have nutritionists. I know a number of guys who make their offseason home in Ottawa use Tony Greco and his lean and fit studio.

• franco says:

Fluff stories, are just that ‘fluff stories.

Subban is everywhere, most of the rest of the players are far, far away.

Subban is available, he never tires of reporters apparently, good for him.

Reporter says ‘what ya doing for the summer, and P.K. says “hey I am working out, while the contract is being worked on….needs my signature and I have the pen in my pocket, can’t go to far.

Instant story…..”hey chief” I have a Subban fluff piece, about 300 words…..lets get a picture and go with it. Things are dead in Montreal and the Canadiens are always good to sell a few copies.

Team mates texting each other…..Hey, guess what Subban is at it again….ha ha. guy never quits.

wjc

23. HabFab says:

EOTP has done nice articles on “getting to know” each of the new Hab prospects. Certainly worth a read.

• Cal says:

The site should be called EUTA (I’ll leave you to figure that out).

• Habfan17 says:

Thanks Habfab! I did read a few of the “getting to know” posts. I am confused when they talk about Lernout. The writer says he thinks when choosing a project player on defence, they should choose on that is a puck carrying defenceman. The Habs have puck moving defencemen n the system in Bennett, Nygren and Beaulieu. Pateryn is not bad and Dietz is a balanced defenceman, What they lack, is a tough as nails defender which is what Lernout is. Paired with Bennett for instance, they would give the Habs a strong 3rd pairing.

Potentially in the future

Tinordi, Subban
      Beaulieu, Pateryn/Dietz
      Bennett, Lernout/Thrower

Looks pretty balanced!

Habfan17

So the biggest loser in the NHL right now has to be Teddy Purcell. The only way things could be worse would be if he went to Winnipeg instead of Edmonton. I assume there are no ocean beaches, sunsets or bikini babes in either of these Canadian cities.

24 Cups

• HabFab says:

There is a lot to be said about sunsets over the frozen prairie.

They usually involve swear words so I’ll abstain ;)

• 24 Cups says:

Frank – I posted this for the benefit of Gerald. I’m sure he’ll respond at some point in time. As for me, I’m off to the links. 29 degrees and sunny all day long!

24 Cups

• juniorsfarm says:

You assume wrong! Plenty of beaches and babes here on Lake Winnipeg, Gimli and Lake Manitoba. John Ferguson lived here for years. Serge Savard loved his time in Winnipeg as well as Danny Geoffrion. Do not make comments in you don’t know what you are talking about. I am a Habs fan in Manitoba since the ’60s.

25. Habfan17 says:

So, Yzerman cleared cap space making a couple of trades so he can sign a right handed defenceman. Could it be Gilbert, who is already playing in Florida, or is he targeting Niskanen?

If Bergevin has thoughts of signing one too, he will face stiff competition to get one!

Right now, with Boston having cap issues, I would like to see Bergevin sign Iginla for two seasons and go for Gilbert. If he does plan on Trading Gorges, also a left who can be the 7th/8th defenceman. I wouldn’t mind seeing Brian Boyle in a Habs uniform too. That would probably man the end of White. Although, wouldn’t it be nice to have Galchenyuk, Eller, Boyle and White at centre?

Habfan17

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi 17

Even with that mini purge, Tampa only has $7.9M left and only 10 forwards signed counting Drouin and Kucherov.

It looks like they will go with the D they have as they recently added Jason Garrison.
      Then again, if Ohland remains on LTIR, (and the rules are complex) that could potentially free up some of his $3.6 Cap Hit if they go over the Cap

• Habfan17 says:

Hey MR,
        I was going by what was written on TSN about the trade. Yzerman may still have a couple of moves in the works to clear more space or he figures some prospects will make the team next season.

As you mentioned, perhaps he already knows Ohland won’t be able to play, or at least start the season.

It should be an interesting two days!

Habfan17

26. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

Tomorrow is the start of UFA (and hostile RFA Offer Sheets)

An excellent source of who is available – by position, age, and past contract is at Cap Geek.

EX: DMen available:

And especially Right wing – a definite Habs weakness with or without Gionta (Gallagher-Weise)

As for the Habs chances – or even willingness to get into the fray, the expecatations are very low from here.
    There are many competitors, and the Habs have historically not been on the radar screen of the top guns.

When looking at these lists, it may be best to work from the bottom up.

• Habfan17 says:

Good morning MR,

Nice read! I am not sure players would not want to come to Montreal now. With how well they have done the past two seasons, the stability, and I would not over look Bergevin himself. He is proving to be an astute general manager that treats players well and communicates honestly. When he decides to share! With a couple of free agents and a couple of prospects stepping in next season, they can make a strong push in the playoffs again. That is not to say they will be true contenders, but they will be a better team than last season. In my opinion.

Habfan17

• HabFab says:

“Work from the bottom up”

Optimistic bugger aren’t you!

27. Habfan10912 says:

@CJ re: your Subban post from last night.

My first reaction was to poo poo your post (respectfully) as another one of those “my brother coached his youngest brother in midgets and he says…. post”, that we see here every so often here on HIO. But on further review it got me thinking about things.

There probably are people in the locker room who SHOULD not appreciate PK. Some other posters mentioned names out there but I won’t but what if there are players who do not work as hard at their trade as PK, or perform as well as PK, who are as approachable to the fans and press as PK? Kind of being forced to look in the mirror everyday and be reminded of your own shortcomings.

The last thing I’ll add is this team NEVER played like there was a rift in the locker room. If anything it now appears that Carey Price, whom is very tight with PK, seems to be the real leader of this team. That would tend to go a long way in keeping the anti PK crowd, if any, at a minimum.

PK is a flamboyant, hard working, approachable, likable star athlete and may be a target for those that don’t work as hard, are not approachable and behave like your spoiled rotten athlete of today. Again, I won’t name names because I’m not in the room but if PK is disliked by those guys, I say good. Get rid of them!

CHeers bud and thanks for sharing that story.

Good morning Jim.

Thank you for sharing. I agree. Not trying to stir the pot further, but having watched the 24CH segments, I got the impression that Gionta and PK may not have been overly chummy. If Gionta has trouble with PK, then, as you said, dump the Captain and move on. So far as I can tell, PK connects with the younger players on the team, which is all I care about anyway. The one old warhorse, Markov, seems to connect with 76, so nothing else really matters. Please appreciate, this is purely speculative. I’ve heard things, from various sources, but I can’t confirm anything myself.

Again, just to clarify, my central point was really so long as the PK file remains open, we are likely to hear these types of comments. Personally, I will feel much better when an extension is signed sealed and delivered. My only concern, which is the same of any player, is dollar and term. Although, when it comes to elite players like PK, nothing is unreasonable I suppose.

Cheers, CJ

• JohnInTruro says:

I agree with that Gionta PK rift. I also feel watching Gorges around Subban that there seems to be a rift. Watch when PK scores a goal Gorges seems to shun him or not appreciate his excitement. One that sticks out the most is the out of the box breakaway goal on Rask. He’s never happy when PK scores.

• habstrinifan says:

” I got the impression that Gionta and PK may not have been overly chummy”……

So????

I daresay that this observation was valid several years ago. Check out the Gomez-P.K-Gionta’s interraction after P.K’s admittedly outlandish (but rookie) celebration. Gionta’s captaincy has gone thru that improperly handled issue; the Cammallieri/Lapierre/JM post captaincy stuff; Gomez’s pathetic on ice apathy; and most recently an inability to contribute with a veteran’s captain’s persuasive imprint on the Plekanec-Vanek-Gionta line incompatability ..so obviously alluded to by Vanek.

Two other items which speak loud are the Markov-Price item which the captain Gionta publicly lied and said ‘never happened’… only to be definitively contradicted by both Price’s and Markov’s later recall of the incidents. There were many ways Gionta could have kept dressing room confidentiality (other than by lieing and saying never happened) ONLY to have later revelations by the parties involved bear him out to be an irrelevant voice… at the very least on that issue.

The other was Therrien’s description of Gionta “crying in his arms” during the Ottawa series(see Therrien’s post series press conferences then) and Gionta himself saying to the press, months later’, “never happened”.

Showed me that our captain DOES NOT have the comprehension or engagement skills needed to be a uniting, much less inspiring force, when disagreements arise.

All of these items, the evidentiary actions and statements from which I draw my conclusions are all available in the public sphere. None was gleaned from a ‘friend’.

If Gionta’s unbridled approval is the criterion on which MB bases his contract negotiation with P.K.. my advice to P.K would be to tell MB in no uncertain terms F.U!

In his role of captain, Gionta, in any group dynamics I can recall, Gionta has proven himself to be neither mentor nor leader; peacenik nor firebrand; but a head in the sand Neville Chamberlain.

I expect the vigour of condemnation from the many Gionta apologists here. But I challenge you to research the issues I detailed and explain the actions/inaction of your captain.

Ah for a captain like Henri Richard!

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

28. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all. The Wild will be players come tomorrow.

29. Habitant in Surrey says:

Before I sign-off for the night, I will leave the most recent 10 good Habs’ Fans to post Their support protesting Roger’s blacking-out of Habs’ games on RDS west of Quebec.

The tally is now 923. Need 77 tomorrow to reach 1000. :)

Mark Nutbrown

27 minutes ago

M. Courtland
    38 minutes ago

Peter Halliday
    54 minutes ago

____________________________________________________

Protest Roger’s Blackout of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec !

Please read the Roger’s Petition, & sign if You support the cause, at:

30. Habitant in Surrey says:

More than 500 people showed up today at Vancouver General Hospital to show their support for Gino Odjick

He is certainly a favourite in Vancouver.

31. haloracer18 says:

I assume that MB knows what he’s doing, even though even the best make mistakes sometimes. But if I’m MB, I’m going to sign Subban last. Get everyone back from last year if possible, you don’t want to change the chemistry of the team too much if it has had success. Signing Subban at over $6.7m is obviously an error in judgment. Because the compensation at that level is 2 first round picks and then some, which is too high a price for any team for Subban. If it’s too high for other teams, it should be too high for MB too. Thus, I would offer him, once the entire team is assembled for next year, $5-6m on a 5+ year contract. He’ll take it. He would be stupid not too, and become an Eric Lindros and hold out for more money.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Your argument is interesting, yet you omitted a HUGE option for Subban and that is Player Elected Arbitration – a right Subban did not have during the last negotiation.
      Simply put, Subban can outright refuse ANY offer put on the table by the Habs and take the team to Arbitration. The team can choose either a 1 or 2 year term.

With this process, Subban is guaranteed in the area of $ 7.5M – the Arbitration award won by Shea Weber back in 2011 with a lower Salary Cap.

The worst part of Arbitration for the Habs would be that Subban would become a UFA in 2 summers.

In reality, this time around Subban holds the hammer

• Maritime Ronn says:

As for a team unwilling tp pay RFA compensation, here is the category:
      Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 – Two 1st round Picks, 2nd, 3rd

Take Buffalo as an example.
      Next year, they have 3 First round picks and 2 Second round picks.
      With all the talent in their pipeline, they would most probably be willing to sacrifice that for a 7 year committment on Subban.

Yes, next year is the McDavid sweepstakes, yet that is a long time away and with the lottery, Buffalo is not 100% guaranteed that pick

Of course Montreal would have to match a hostile offer, but that could also put the Habs into Cap stress

• Habfan17 says:

That makes no snese with all due respect. On the Open Market, Subban would get more than $7 million. A team like Buffalo that has stock piled picks and has cap space could offer $8 million for 7 years. There are no certainties of drafting a player like Subban in the first round. The odds go up the higher your draft position, but Subban is a sure thing. Then teams would give up 4 first round picks and Buffalo with what they have could afford it!

Habfan17

• Loop_Garoo says:

6.7 million seems like an arbitrary number to me. I don’t think there is any chance that Subban signs a 6 million 5 year contract, he would be leaving $22 million dollars on the table compared to a $7.5 million 7 year contract, cannot see why he would even consider that. I think he gets 8×8, will be a lot for next year but if the cap keeps rising, in a couple of years it will be a good deal and a great contract in years 6,7,8 when we have a 30 year old D-man at his prime.

32. ClutchNGrab says:

Anybody is following the Lebron James saga? Apparently he opted out of his option year in Miami, along with Wade and Bosh, to help the Heat have a manageable salary cap. In pther word, the three players are using a loophole in the current agreement between the owners and the player association to lower their current salary in order for the team to stop paying a luxury tax and allow for other big signing.

Not sure how I feel about that, but it must feel great for Miami Heat fans. I was thinking how nice it would be in a few years if Subban, Price and Paccioretty would get together and do something similar.

• marv1840 says:

Unlike NHL hockey, especially in the playoffs when fourth line players can outshine the top lines on the team, NBA basketball is very much dependent on top stars like James who can win games on his ability alone, and there is no parity in NBA basketball, which for me makes the NHL vastly superior for excitement compared to the NBA. So James knows that he and a few other NBA players are dominant enough to win the NBA championships, so they can forge an agreement to create a dynasty. The NHL in my opinion is not dependent on only the stars (like Crosby and Ovechkin) to win Stanley Cup and there is so much uncertainly with exciting overtime playoff games that no 2 or 3 NHL players can forge an arrangent to play together and guarantee a Stamley Cup dynasty.

33. rogieshan says:

I’m beating on an old horse, but what Yzerman did tonight is exactly what Bob Gainey should have done with the Scott Gomez deal. The Rangers had to dump salary to sign Gabrorik at the time, yet Gainey offered Sather full-value compensation in the trade. I still can’t get over it.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

It still bothers me. It would be like giving up Nathan Beaulieu to get Vinnie Lecavalier now when in fact the Flyers would probably be happy to just give up Vinnie for nothing to get that contract off their hands. I am not sure Gainey fully comprehended how important cap space is.

• ooder says:

You mean the same gm who said that he wasn’t sure how his team would turn out and he was just trying things, completely blundered a deal.?! Ya I’m shocked heh.

• ClutchNGrab says:

That is true for the nyr, but what about the canadiens?. Plekanec just came out of an horrendous year (39 points, 0 in the playoffs), koivu was leaving, Lang had a career ending surgury. The next center in line was Maxim Lapierre.

Gomez was great in NJ, then was the top scoring center in the two seasons he played in new york.

I asked myself if Collberg end up being a first line forward will the Vanek trade will be seens as bad as the Gomez trade. The answer is probably no. Because the perception is the market value of vanek was higher than what was paid, the exact opposite of the perception of Gomez.

However, the need is also different, MB was not in dire need of a forward like BG was pf a center. The rags had the upper hand.

34. Harditya says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 3m
    Tampa sends Nate Thompson to Anaheim for 4th and 7th in 2015.

Wow Steve Yzerman is on a roll clearing all this cap space. Vanek to TB?

HiS… what happens after the petition hits 1000 signatures? Are you sending it to Rogers or to the media… Boone?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

We will follow up with presentations to government, media and, of course, Rogers

Boone is on His yacht in Monaco’s harbour at the moment. Roger’s is the last thing He is thinking of.

36. HabFan in Edmonton says:

I am sure someone here knows the answer to this. Just checking capgeek and wondered why Chris Pronger’s salary of 4.9 million still counts against the Flyer’s cap even though he can no longer play.
    Seems like the Flyer like to throw money around, some ridiculous salaries on their book.

37. CJ says:

I’m reading that Del Zotto is not being qualified by the Predators, making him a free agent. This could get interesting…..

38. CJ says:

Gagner and BJ Crombeen to the Yotes for a 6th round pick. Major salary purge for basically nothing (except the vacant cap space).

• ProHabs says:

Holy cow. They gave those guys away.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

No doubt. How does Sam Gagner feel right now. Traded for a 6th round pick after being drafted 6th overall. Welcome to the world where cap space is everything. Stevie Y must be planning a big move or he is up tight against the ceiling.

• ProHabs says:

Must be the result of the Callaghan signing. For sure Gagner’s self esteem just took a kick to the nats.

• CJ says:

The Callahan signing was not well managed, but Tampa couldn’t afford to have him walk away. Of course, in a salary cap world you also can’t afford to pay a guy just less then $6 million for 6 years, who’s not even a 40 point player.

It’s just a bad cycle. Bad contract, buy out or salary dump. Vincent Lecaviler anyone? Rinse and repeat…..

• Phil C says:

So it ends up being Purcell for a 6th round pick? Wow, I thought he would have more value than that. He would look great on a third line with Eller and Bourque.

• CJ says:

And there’s the kicker… Tampa had to retain a third of Gagner’s salary.

39. eric says:

Build the team that will beat the team in the west. Building a team to win the east is not the answer. Build the team to beat the team from the west. Size and filth.

40. AH says:

@CJ re: your conversation with the ex CFL player below about PK; I so hope he is wrong because I’m a big fan of PK’s, but I can see how PK could rub guys the wrong way, he’s like that co- worker every has, or has had who is always bubbly, happy, and nice to everyone, including yourself, but for some reason you can’t stand them.

As for him being an ex-CFL and not NHL guy, I agree with you that the Pro Sports world is tight and people are connected and talk, etc. this reminds me of a similar situation I had a few years back, like you I was playing golf with an ex Eskimo during our awful Danny Maciocca years, he told me some things about his hiring, the Organization, etc. that of course I never knew, and a short time later he was gone. Now this ex – player was from their teams in the 70s, and had been living and working in California for years, but he still knew what was going on.

Regardless, I can’t see the Habs not locking up PK….but then again they said Gretzky would never be traded. :)

• CJ says:

Great post. Thank you for sharing.

I see some make light of my comments, which is one of the reasons I don’t share a quarter of the insight I have. When I do, I’m questioned, or ridiculed. I’m not sensitive, but I often find myself defending a comment more often then discussing the merit.

Secondly, as you have noted, I’d never doubt the fraternity that follows professional athletes. Mike Sutherland, an ex CFL friend knows more about the current goings on then many in the game today. Mind you, that speaks to the man, who is both extremely personable and intelligent. The gentlemen I golfed with today was not Sutherland.

Lastly, I’ve met more people, and gathered more intelligence at the golf course then anywhere else. It’s a breeding ground for rumours and information sharing. Finally, in Ottawa, everyone seems to know everyone else. As I’ve said before, it’s three degrees of separation here, not six.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

CJ, I enjoy your posts, well thought out and articulate. I agree with you almost all the time but not all the time. The world would be awfully boring if people agreed on everything. I do think you are being a little too sensitive here.

• habstrinifan says:

If you refer to my post as one making light of your comment then you are wrong. I believe your report. I even believe that that party had some sort of anecdotal knowledge which he used to make contextual conversation.

The term contextual conversation is significant here. You are playing golf. A name/topic is mentioned and in the context of your relationship (jockworld) this person answers the implied intrigue with apochryphal embellishment of what may be considered a canonical truth….in any group dynamic there is uneven acceptance of the individuals constituting that group.

And since you are in Ottawa (I think) I drew an immediate comparison of dynamics which the political group ‘Liberals’ had with one of its more recognizable and notable members.

I could write an essay on the similarity.

I was not making fun. I was pointing out the wry irony of it all.

End of lecture!

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• Chris says:

I wouldn’t sweat it, CJ. That has been the knock on P.K. since junior: great player, articulate and charming to the media, but he rubs a LOT of players the wrong way.

Many Habs fans want to gloss over the fact that Subban’s rare personality, that of supreme braggadocio on the ice and a craving of the spotlight, is exactly the same one that has irked teammates and opposing players alike since the beginning of professional sports.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar have it in soccer, and are frequently mocked for it. Deion Sanders had it in American football. Rajon Rondo has it in spades in the NBA, as does Kobe Bryant. All are legendary players in their own sport, so I doubt Subban is worried. But most of those guys have stepped on a lot of friendly toes while jumping up and down to get the attention of a camera.

• Timo says:

Maybe the players that “don;t like” him are the bums like DD and Pacioretty that do not bring it when it counts. I can see how PK is not everyone’s cup of tea but who gives a sh!t since he is the Habs best player and no one on this team is close enough to tie his shoes.

41. WhatUp says:

Gagner traded to Phoenix – anyone know what TB gets?

42. habstrinifan says:

I know an ex CFL(Canadian Federal Liberal) member who said that Trudeau (any Trudeau) is/was not well liked in the room.

Give it some thought! It’s not as far fetched an analogy as it may at first appear.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

43. Harditya says:

After a solid post-season production by Rene Bourque (and Eller, but I want to focus on #17) – is everyone willing to forget how he did in the regular season and give him one more chance? We as fans decided it’s best to let Gionta and Vanek walk due to their disappointing post season performances, but can Rene even help us get there in the first place? Doesn’t seem like it, because it looks like he will be playing outside of top 6 again. This is what the line-up could possibly look like in October:
    MaxPac-Desharnais-Gallagher
    Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Briere
    Bourque-Eller-Weise
    Prust-White-Bournival
    Do we move a center this offseason to let Chucky play in the middle and THEN give Bourque a chance to fit into top 6? Or can we expect that move in the 2015-16 season? The offense looks dry to be honest. The only guaranteed 20+ goal scorers here are MaxPac, Gallagher, Plekanec and just maybe – Galchenyuk if he begins to breakout. So coming back to #17. Do we accept the fact we will be worse than last year and trade him while his stock is high? It might be a case of overthinking, but there seem to be a lot of question marks at the moment.

• CJ says:

DD and Pleks are your 1 and 2 centres? Sorry mate, that’s not a recipe for playoff success.

• habstrinifan says:

If an offer for Bourque comes from a team whose compensation reaches levels which indicate that they value him as a player whose “stock is high”, then TAKE IT TAKE IT TAKE IT!

It takes only a general review of Bourque’s career to understand why you do it without undue fear.
      “Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• Loop_Garoo says:

I would prefer to trade Bourque while he is tradeable, unless the playoffs really turned his confidence and desire back on. Bourque has been the type of player that can put a team on his back and carry you to some wins from time to time. If he can play half his time next season like he played in the playoffs, score 20 goals, then he is very valuable.

As for the centres in your list, I think we would be far better off ditching DD and signing Stasney. DD’s contract is not as untradeable as some on here believe, and his cap hit for the points he brings is actually quite good. You are not going to get a ton for DD, but a good prospect or draft pick would be pretty easy.

44. Mattyleg says:

Ay-ya-yai… What’s the deal with Mickey Ribs? Is he boozing it up again??

45. fastfreddy says:

Nobody should have a NTC. That’s ridiculous for both players and teams.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

46. CJ says:

Hey cool, the Oilers finally make a decent trade! Purcell for Gagne is a pretty strong move.

I can’t help but think that this is the future – equalized salary coming and going in player exchanges. Also makes me realize, sadly, that there’s nobody going to take Briere off ours hands unless we are willing to take either salary and/or a project player coming back.

• fastfreddy says:

Sadly true, CJ.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• Harditya says:

This makes no sense whatsoever from the Oilers’ standpoint. If Hall, Eberle, Purcell and Perron are the top 6 wingers, where does Yakupov fit? Not really giving him a chance to succeed. I mean you can’t expect the kid to rack up points along Matt Hendricks.
      UNLESS, he’s on the move this summer.. for a legit top 4 defenseman.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I don’t think Mctavish is done dealing.

• habs_54321 says:

emelin+plex for yakupov. maybe plex+gorges+pick but not sure edmonton will do that

• CJ says:

The Oilers wouldn’t (shouldn’t) do that deal, and neither should Montreal. I don’t want Yak anywhere near this organization.

• habs_54321 says:

why? because he slid to center ice after scoring a goal? because of the questionable defensive commitment? he needs to be on a team that can provide him direction and leadership right now he is a boy without a father figure markov can be that for him he will also have a comrad in galchenyuk.

as for edmonton the deal benefits them even more now with gagner gone they have a major gaping hole at center especially ones who can play 200 feet,

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Yakupov is not the bad attitude some make him out to be. He’s a good kid but has some growing up to do. No way the Oilers give up on him now unless they can make a great deal.

• CJ says:

No, because I don’t see a fit. Nothing to do with any sort of theatrics. I just don’t like the asset. There is better value elsewhere.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

There is no question that Yakupov has great talent and could easily be a top 6 player on the Habs. Yes, he has some maturing to do as he is still young and needs to learn to play both ends of the ice but in the right environment he could be great. I would take him if the price is right but again I would be shocked if the Oilers gave up on him this quickly.

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Agree that it’s a good trade for the Oilers, it didn’t look like Sam Gagner was going to realize his potential in Edmonton and the Oilers need to get bigger. Might turn out to be a good trade for both teams.

Brier only has 1 more year so I don’t think it’s a big issue. It might be difficult to trade him now but later in the season is a different story.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Sam Gagner. $4.8M/year. 37 points last year.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• CJ says:

Two more years…. Terrible contract in relation to point production. Kinda like Gionta or Briere…..

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

The Oilers made a huge mistake by not leaving Gagner in junior for another year or two, they rushed him. Not the 1st mistake they made like that.

• CJ says:

Agreed. Maybe this is a stretch, but perhaps Gagne and SK74 were overvalued, the result of coming from a very strong London Knights organization. Gagner, IMO, never reached his potential. 8 point game aside, he’s never amounted to much. Of course a change of scenery and a connection with Stamkos could change that, but it’s been all sizzle and no steak thus far.

• Loop_Garoo says:

You are right it is a bad contract but he is a talented hard working kid, still surprised Tampa could not get a bit more for him. Maybe a bit biased as I know his dad, but I always liked Gagner as a player.

47. jols says:

Tampa sent Purcell to Edmonton for Gagner.

48. CJ says:

So, I played golf with an ex CFL player this morning and he commented, at length, on the dynamic inside the Canadiens dressing room. I have no clue how he knows this, but he said that PK is not as popular as some (myself included) might think he is. He mentioned that PK is not liked by teammates and that a decision, on his future, is forthcoming.

I hear a variation of these types of comments fairly regularly, probably more so living in Ottawa, among rival fans. I usually brush it off, but I really would like to know. I sometimes read too much into things that Bergevin says, and worry (unfoundedly) that there is a connection between comments made regarding being a good teammate and PK. I guess this is another long winded way of me saying that so long as this file remains open, I’ll always wonder about PK’s future within the organization. I have no good reason to feel this way, but I will feel much better knowing PK is locked up, long term.

Lastly, while there’s still ink in the pen, I’d also like to see Eller and White locked up.

• fastfreddy says:

Wow, CJ, I hope you’re right and these allegations of PK not being liked in the dressing room are all jealous rumors. Like yourself, I won’t sleep well till PK is locked up. And yes, sign Eller also.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• Haberoooo13 says:

And I am connected to some pro players that say it’s a load of crap and the main guys on the Habs have no problems with Pernell Karl.

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

• CJ says:

I hear both. Some say he’s liked, some say he’s not. Former teammate Alex Auld had the most glowing review, while others, perhaps due to jealousy, are very strongly outspoken against PK.

• Haberoooo13 says:

Does everyone on the team love him? I would bet my house that the answer is no. Do 100% of them love him when he plays at his best? I am guessing that the answer is pretty close to 100% yes.

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

• marv1840 says:

CJ, although I appreciate that the ex CFL player you played golf seemed to indicate that PK is not a popular team mate with the Habs, you failed to identify the person you played golf with . So, I have no idea if the person you are referring to is a figment of your imagination, or if the person is genuine and did not tell you how he know that PK is not a well liked team mate. Either way, I have strong doubts whether the claim that PK is not a popular team mate is accurate.

• CJ says:

I’ve chosen not to identify him. Although this is a closed community, you’d be surprised at the number of people who view this blog. In any event, my point was less about the person and more about the comment. I believe it speaks to the fact that PK is a very polarizing personality, in addition to hockey player. So, although I haven’t lost any sleep over the issue, I’d venture a guess that I’d sleep even sounder if this file was closed.

In closing, although I’d readily admit that I have an active imagination, I do not fabricate stories for your, or anyone else’s benefit. There is a great deal of inside information I’ll never post, for fear of exposing a friend. That’s a decision I made very early, and it’s a premise I’ll identify with so long as I continue to post. When I share a name, it’s because I can with zero fear of reprisal.

Cheers, CJ

• UKRAINIANhab says:

With all due respect what the heck does an ex CFL player know About Hockey, The Habs, and what happens in the Habs room…

Whether some people like it or not, we are looking at the 8 million range for a very long time!

And Yes sign Eller and White!!!!!

Maybe he does know something though, we will never know.

• CJ says:

In short, a CFL player would know nothing of hockey, but everything with the dynamic of a professional dressing room. Further, folks are connected, so although (as noted), I have no reason to place additional stock in his comments this morning, my point was simply to illustrate that I hear both good and bad about PK. Again, to further clarify my point, I’ll be somewhat relieved when this file is closed and PK is either locked up long term or traded (not my desired outcome).

• UKRAINIANhab says:

I wonder what we could get in a trade for PK?

Obviously, thats not what I want but just throwin it out there :)

• CJ says:

More if another organization initiated the trade and less if he’s shopped by Montreal. We couldn’t land MacKinnon, but maybe a combination of roster player, pick and number one prospect.

All hypothetical of course. I don’t think it goes down that road….

• chilli says:

Your CFL golf buddy is 100% correct that some don’t like him – but they’d all take him as a teammate. He’s liked by some and disliked by others – kinda like life.
      These are only boys/men playing a sport and very competitive at that – - but PK is not hated. Some of our greatest stars in sports have been hated… but that was because of their drive to win. Kobe, Michael, Tiger, St. Patrick to name 4. And I know a few that don’t like Crosby.

But any player would take any of those 4 as a teammate in a heartbeat.

Tre

49. fastfreddy says:

Chiming in on the Gorges discussion, which GM gave this guy a NTC? Really, is he Markov, Karlsson, Lindstrom, Sutter, Doughty,……………? I don’t get that deal??????

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

50. alfieturcotte says:

While Subban prepares for 2015, Markov is doing what to deserve $18MM for the next 3 yrs? MB’s complete lack of vision. Focus on the wrong defenseman……

Markov should have been allowed to go. That $6MM will look painful midway into season 1 of that contract…..

• Chwinsy says:

do you know markov isn’t preparing?

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

Markov was a better all around defenceman than PK for most of the season. Subban didn’t even win the Norris for his own team until he hit his stride around the playoffs. Then, he was a magnificent player – everything we could have hoped for and more. But Markov got them to the show with steady, smart defensive hockey, and I have no doubt a bright guy like Subban learned an awful lot watching him.

Markov wouldn’t have rehabbed that knee and had such a solid season if he didn’t take care of himself. He just doesn’t pose for the photos and publicize himself as well as PK does. Subban is the king of self-marketing, an important skill in the sports entertainment industry.

On the ice, these two guys complement each other, and when they hit their stride at the same time, watch out. It’ll be fun to watch.

And hey, I’ve read you enough to know you’re trolling, but it’s summertime and I don’t go to gyms.

• alfieturcotte says:

The general consensus on the Markov signing is that it is too much for too long. No trolling, just regular opinion. Markov is no longer a top 1/2 D and given his knees and inability to keep up at times, it is only natural to view 3/$18MM as excessive.

I’ve not read you at all, but know why. Nothing you write stands out as worthy to remember….

51. habs_54321 says:

i dont understand how no team picked up ehrhoff on waivers, i thought for sure some team would grab him like detroit, nj who need puckmovers

52. Habitant in Surrey says:

BONG !!!

Just hit 900 ! …in fact, 908, to be exact !

1000 soon within reach.

Good on Ya Guyz and Girlz, fellow Habs’ Fans ! Very proud of Y’all !

____________________________________________________

Protest Roger’s Blackout of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec !…read & sign at:

53. Ncognito says:

If I’m Buffalo, Winnipeg, Edmonton or one of a few other not so popular places for players to play I would have a team of lawyers looking at sueing the league regarding these no-trade clauses. It seems GM’s are handing them out like candy at halloween. If you are one of these less popular destinations that is well under the cap floor and you can’t convince top free agents to sign, your other choice is the trade route. But here lies another problem, most top players probaby have a no trade clause to your city. Getting to the cap floor may be possible by taking on bad contracts but when trying to improve your team through a trade you are at quite a disadvantage.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Is it NHLPA-generated stealth parity-evasion?

• Habfan10912 says:

I don’t know about a law suit but you raise a valid concern for those teams looking to get their payroll to the floor. They are almost forced to take on a bad contract. Perhaps the owners will include limiting no trade clauses in their next work stoppage. ( insert sarcasm front).

None the less, good observation.

• ARMYHABFAN says:

I think that if a player is asking for a trade and has a no trade clause on his contract then that clause should be null and void. The team gave it in good faith that he would stay for the contract. The NO TRADE should then be taken out and the team can trade to what ever team gives them the best return

• marv1840 says:

I agree entirely with your statement Ncognito. Whether the no trade clause involves Montreal or any other NHL franchise, it sucks because the NHL is all about creating as much excitement for the upcoming season to as many franchises as possible. The league is trying to promote parity and it is a lot more interesting and exciting when the Stanley Cup is awarded to different teams every year than to a potential dynasty. Having the no trade clauses will prevent some teams, like Winnipeg, a cold climate Canadian city, from attracting top talent at a level to compete with other franchises.

54. Habfan10912 says:

Please allow me a bit of a brag on PK. Seldom do I see an athlete on a team I root for with the total package that this young man has. On top of his tremendous skill set comes a magnificent work ethic.

It reminds me if watching players like Wade Redden among others who seemingly had the skills to be a long time star in the league but may possibly have lacked the work ethic that this young man has.

So what we have here is a young man with out of this world skills, a tough mental attitude able to overcome much anguish in his young career and a willingness to work his butt off to improve his game.

Makes it easy to root for the guy, eh?

55. Habitant in Surrey says:

‘CRTC Mulls Cable Rule Overhaul That May Allow Custom Packages’; http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-mulls-cable-rule-overhaul-that-may-allow-custom-packages-1.2621679

‘Pick And Pay Cable Would Mean Changes To Local TV Funding Say Bell And Rogers’; http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/pick-and-pay-cable-would-mean-changes-to-local-tv-funding-say-bell-rogers-1.2690800

Some reading for those interested.

____________________________________________________

Protest Roger’s Blackout of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec !…read & sign at:

56. twilighthours says:

If that’s a heart rate monitor that P.K. is wearing, I’ve never seen one like it. Weird.

57. Dunboyne Mike says:

It is my sincerest hope that MB pays this guy whatever it takes.

I appreciate that it is possible to imagine legitimate scenarios in which PK ends up elsewhere. Legitimate and credible and logical. But my faith will be shattered if any of them come about, and I don’t believe any will.

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

I’m wit ya mike….not that mucho crazy money is good. It’s just that I don’t believe it will spoil this kid as it would the majority of young players.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Good point. He knows he’s going to make gazillions, so he can focus on what ELSE he wants to get out of hockey. Unless it’s just hot air, it sure looks like what he genuinely wants is to be the absolute best he can be. And to win. And with the team he has followed all his life.

Hand him the cheque book and a pen.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I don’t care how much money he makes – I’d rather not know. It’ll be way too much, but if it’s enough to keep him around, hand it over. He can’t be replaced.

• marv1840 says:

Charlie, you are right that PK Is irreplaceable and it does not matter how much it costs MB to have him. Believe me, if the club does not sign PK, ticket sales for the upcoming season will not be robust and fans will be clamoring for Molson to fire MB. The Habs have absolutely no choice but to have PK on the roster next season.

58. HabFab says:

No dates yet for next week Prospect Camp but here are the undrafted FA invitees known so far;

59. HabFab says:

Today is the deadline for Qualifying Offers for RFA’s. Hab’s RFA’s are ;

Robert Czarnik
    Peter Delmas
    Lars Eller
    Joonas Nättinen
    P.K. Subban
    Ryan White

Can’t see Czarnik or Delmas getting offers and Nattinen has already signed to play next season in Sweden. They may Qualify just to retain his rights.

60. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The only good 2nd pairing RH D-man available I can think of is Dustin Byfuglien but I have no idea what it would take to get him at a resonable price. I would involve Pleks and/or Gorges but they have LTCs. I think MB is really handcuffed. Hopefully he can pull something off.

61. Habitant in Surrey says:

Almost ringing the gong at 900 !

Latest 10, …keep them coming ! :)

joe chiniborch

Angela Notari

Mason Mintzberg, Canada

Dave Algire

Don Rideout

Christine Mitchell

mike di Lillo

Peter Mandrapilias

Mike Ashley

Vincent sauvageau

____________________________________________________

Protest Roger’s Blackout of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec !…read & sign at:

62. Habilis says:

P.K. is just so much awesome sauce. After he signs, they should give him the “C”.

63. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Sad my Greeks lost even though they outplayed CR the last 45 min. You can’t let games go to the shootout and expect. Anyway, whoever would win this game was going to lose the next game regardless.

On a side note, how in the he$% did Gorges get a NTC in his contract? Stupid GM…

• Strummer says:

With no one willing to touch Gorges @ $3.9 million annually that contract is as god as a NTC

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think there would be teams that would take it like Buffalo, Edmonton, Florida, and Winnipeg but he has a LTC. I can understand giving a clause like that to an all-star but Gorges??? Geezus…

64. Habitant in Surrey says:

Meehan and Subby are brilliant, I got to hand it to them, well-placed, well-timed propaganda during what I perceive as the end-game on His negotiations. :)

Subby is no fool. He’s going to be successful post-hockey as much as during His playing dayz. :)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

HiS, I’m in. Keep up the good work.
      I have never been an 82-game guy, can only imagine becoming one if I ever manage to retire. But I feel for those who are 82-game guys. This is a complex fight, David and Goliath(s), but a petition is as good a place to start as anywhere. Fair play to you. I think Churchill would say that your 1000 sigs are not the beginning of the end but the end of the beginning!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Yup :) …long-road ahead still with the Roger’s issue.

I really would prefer someOne else was leading this because I prefer to be flogging the Campaign To Retire Hector ‘Toe’ Blake’s Number 6 !!!’ :)

But this Roger’s thing has to be addressed now. :(

65. Habitant in Surrey says:

Shoot-out goal to win a World Cup soccer game ?

Good grief Charlie Brown ! :(

• BJ says:

Didn’t Peter Forsberg score the golden goal at the 1994 Olympics in Lilehammer in a shootout vs Canada?

• PK says:

Yes, painful … against a one Corey Hirsch

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
        _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• Habitant in Surrey says:

I feel the same of it occurring in hockey as well BJ, Olympics, World Cup etc.

66. PK says:

Costa Rica has had quite the tournament so far.
    Their match against the Netherlands will be another close one.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

• jols says:

I think the Netherlands wins easily. I am thinking 4-1 or 3-0. We will have to watch next week.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Unless they break out the 0-10 formation… Costa rica of course

• PK says:

The Dutch really felt that heat and humidity despite the “cooling breaks.”

Maybe Brazil should have brought in some engineers from Qatar (re:outdoor air conditioning). LOL.

The Netherlands will push through past Costa Rica – close or a blowout – we will see.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
        _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

67. Steven says:

Well, it was a fun run for Greece. They deserved the win today, but Navas was rock solid.

…And as we’re all familiar with, the better team isn’t always the one that wins, especially when the other goalie is lights out.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Only one penalty stopped.

Can that poor Greek guy EVER be persuaded that he was robbed by a brilliant save? Or that Greece had no business allowing the game to get to penalties, that there were many others on his team far more guilty than he — who, again, was robbed.

Costa Rica, having expended much practice time on taking penalties, played out the entire 30 energy-sapping minutes of extra time with a view to not conceding and to having a go in the shootout. 30 minutes of negative play.

Oh well. Happy for their fans. Who do you like now, Steven? (Or is it insensitive to ask at this time?!)

68. Habitant in Surrey says:

True, with CBC, there is a lot of boring, amateurish stuff We have to put up with, but compared to commercial American television which rots what’s left of Your brain-cells, there is a lot on CBC that We will terribly miss, in My opinion, once it’s no more.

69. UKRAINIANhab says:

Costa Rica!

70. BJ says:

Great goalie for Costa Rica. Greece dominated but couldn’t get a second goal.

71. BJ says:

Shootout win for Costa Rica

72. PK says:

Oh yeah, sign on with the Habs, bud.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

73. PK says:

Go PK Go!!!

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

74. Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Ireland

Not to worry. You weren’t alone

75. Cal says:

Watch that bird, Dunby!

76. BriPro says:

“CrapApp”?
    What is that?
    A bowel movement monitoring device for your iPhone?