Habs sticking to goaltending plan

Colleagues at the Bell Sports Complex report on Twitter this morning that the Canadiens will stick to their goaltending scheme for the preseason, i.e., Carey Price will not be in goal tomorrow when the Ottawa Senators visit the Bell Centre.

Price is skating with Team B in Brossard this morning, leaving some to think that he’d be thrown right back into battle after last night’s lacklustre performance against the Boston Bruins.

Pat Hickey will check in later with details as the Habs prepare for a four-game, four-night stretch.

1. saskhabfan says:

Its an old poster just using another of a long line of user names.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

2. nunacanadien says:

Anyone know when Price will finally be ready to play in Montreal?  Any Price fans know?  Is this the year, or is it in five years, when will we see Price win?  So what are we supposed to do in the meantime?  I know it was one replay and the preseason, but eerily it looked the same as last year, with the team not supporting Price.

3. TheDagger says:

How did the Habs get eliminated from the playoffs last night?

4. RGM says:

I wasn’t aware that general managers made game-day decisions. I always thought that was the coach’s job.

5. RGM says:

Your username says it all, ye member of a whopping 13 hours.

6. Habsrule1 says:

The Habs should go about pre-season like they normally would. Price does not need to play the next game. He does have to be ready when he plays though, and I think he will be.

Spacek has been around a long time, but had a very rough game. I’m counting on him getting better before the season starts as well.

Then again, maybe Tinordi and Sanford will be starting in Spacek and Price’s places.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

7. habs bandwagon fan says:

I’m not going to mince words. I don’t like Price. I loved Halak.

Price will never be a great goaltender. why? he lacks maturity, composure, unable to make the big save when needed, and he just can’t win.

You may not agree with me, and I hope the kid proves me wrong, but I just don’t see him getting the job done.

How many chances are we going to give him, before PG realizes stubbornly, Price is not the man for the job.

He will be gone by year’s end or before.  just the way I think it will be played out.

8. lavie says:

Price’s controversy just started way TOO EARLY! (maybe that was the just the continuity of last season)

Pierre Gauthier should not have started his franchise goalie for the first pre-season game.

9. adam76 says:

A little - yakov smirnoff was my favorite zar

10. K-hab25 says:

And you’re a troll

11. DCos says:

REPOST

Right on man! Agree 100%. I hate the entitled “well I paid for the tickets, I can boo if I want to” mentality. I mean, sure you can do what you want. That’s true in all aspects of life. You can walk around all day being a giant, ignorant douche-bag to everyone you meet. You are entitled to be that way if you wish. But it doesn’t make it right. And make no mistake….booing your team or specific players on your team is a giagantic, idiotic, douche-baggy thing to do.

I think YOU should pick another team. You know what I have every right to do? Call you an inbreed, dim-witted moron who knows jack squat about hockey ot life….but I won’t…cause that would be an ignorant thing to do..just like booing…but I could..I have the right..

———————————————————————— Whining, sniveling, complaining, negative “fans” annoy me. BG, PG and CP bashers….take a hike!

12. notbigbird says:

Does “thaughts” reveal that you are from the deep south?

13. SeriousFan09 says:

What Mike said, this is the same hack media that griped that Koivu’s 4th language French wasn’t that good and that he might be the captain for more years than Beliveau was, like that somehow invalidated Beliveau’s accomplishments.

NHL seems ready to blacklist the bloggers in the new media, Habs should be blacklisting some of the old-school media. Guys who ran the Kostitsyns + Hamrlik = Russian mob? Ban their press credentials for a year.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

14. adam76 says:

Yes, i am 132 years old – now get off my lawn you punk kids.

15. habs bandwagon fan says:

Pouliot looked awful. if he continues like this, he’ll be traded by the deadline.

16. habs bandwagon fan says:

haha. you’re comparing Price to Osgood and Ward who have won cups?????

are you nuts?  yes indeed you are certified!

17. habs bandwagon fan says:

you should pick another team. this guy  is making 3.25 mil to stop a puck. If he’s not to the challenge he shouldn’t be here. and please stop with this “23 year old crap.: it’s getting a bit old.

Every year, he’s only 18, then he’s only 19, then he’s only 20!

well at 23 years old, you’re no longer a kid. you’re a full fledged adult, and most adults have finished college by that age. so please stop with the excuses.

and as far as the fans ar concerned, they’re paying about $150/ticket, therefore they have every right to boo if their team underperforms or not up to their standard.

if Price wants our support, he’ll have to stop a puck, otherwise he won’t ber respected.

no more excuses for this coddled minor leaguer!

18. WarHero says:

It’s not just Price, moronic fans have driven away our good prospects for years upon years beucase they were either not Lafleur or Roy right out of the gate. Im sorry, but that is just a fact.

————————————————————————

19. mike g says:

Look, I’m not here to argue…

But look at that jersey your kid is wearing. Ever wonder why that name is on a black and white jersey, instead of being on a blue, white and red one?

I’m sure you did, and you can thank the “fans” for that. Those same “fans” that used to call in radio shows and complain about Koivu all the time. The same people who always complained that our captain couldn’t learn french, and that it was the least he could do for the “fans” after living here for 11 years.

Well, after donating millions of dollars to help sick kids in this city, he left. And he left because he realized that no matter what he did for this town, there’s always 2 negatives attached to it. He gave his 100% every night, but was kicked outta here. Fair treatment?, nope.

You seriously don’t think he would have rather stayed here, and he could have properly filled the role we gave to Halpern?

But that’s Montreal, my friend.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

20. Chuck says:

Nope. Just rational analysis.

21. Everlasting1 says:

You’ll blame the fans for running Roy out of town? Way to keep it real G. Tremblay was a d!ck.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

22. K-hab25 says:

Great post Mikey!!

23. WindsorHab-10 says:

First pre-season game? Give me a break. What a way to welcome the team into a new season.

Fans that do that are STUPID. Culture or not.

24. drivefor25 says:

Thanks – I needed that!

Fan since ’71

25. WindsorHab-10 says:

Unfortunately there are fans that don’t give a damn about Price and look for faults in him win, lose or draw. For idiotic fans to jeer our #1 during the first pre-season game is simply pathetic and not Canadien like. People talk about Price’s mental toughness, I hope he’s as tough as they say because that’s the only way he survives in Montreal.

26. K-hab25 says:

And your an annoying troll, what’s your point?

27. joeybarrie says:

I’m embarrassed that the Hockey fans here in Wash DC know that booing a 23 year old goalie who has a better or equal to career sv% than Cam Ward, Nabakov, Biron, M.A.Fleury, Osgood, Khabibulin, and Marty Turco and is less than .03% away from goalie’s like Brodeur, Anderson, Miller, and Giguere is pretty STUPID and in Montreal we DO NOT.

In fact they know obviously much better than us that Price’s Career sv% is higher than their own Varlamov, who they think is going to be a GREAT goalie. They know his 9 losses in the playoffs is not the reason they actually lost in the playoffs. They know it’s other things.

SAD DAY when Caps fans have more sense that Habs fans…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

28. LA Loyalist says:

You must be Egyptian royalty because you’re the queen of de nile.

29. K-hab25 says:

That’s an awesome analogy. I’m still LMAO!!!

30. Everlasting1 says:

Cry me a river. This is the big leagues. How about a rant for the ones who never get a third, fourth, fifth chance at proving themselves? Btw, you’d be surprised what a few back to back solid performances can do to sway the fans, or at the least ease up on the booing.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

31. WarHero says:

What do you have?

the first goal was tipped

Bergeron’s were beauties that no goalie may have stopped

and the team as a whole WAS terrible until there was about 5 mins left in the second.

Go cheer for St. Louis or some thing. Fans like you are the exact reason that our prospects leave when they get the chance.

————————————————————————

32. Sheldon says:

At the grocery store, he tries to use the barter system.

33. adam76 says:

You should bookmark that – be interesting to see how many come true.

34. saskhabfan says:

Adam is so far behind the times history class hasn’t been discovered yet.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

35. K-hab25 says:

“Stay tuned for updates on this ugly trend” LMAO!!!!

36. joeybarrie says:

Once we trade MARTIN, PRICE, POULIOT and GAUTHIER in a 3 way trade for BOUCHER, HALAK, LATENDRESSE and YZERMAN then as you correctly lead with sarcasm to our eventual winning of the STANLEY CUP 6 times in a row to beat our current record.

Good Post.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

37. Sheldon says:

Adam76: “Don’t confuse the issue with the facts.”

38. Storm Man says:

Adam your on a roll…. Do you know anything about history?

39. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

So, you were there in the 20s to 60s then?

Or you watched Newsy Lalonde get mock cheers on TV? Oh right, the games weren’t televised back then.

40. WarHero says:

Thx for showing us exactly what Mike was talking about :) Well done :)

————————————————————————

41. Mike Boone says:

Don’t blame David. It was my rodeo analogy.

42. Chuck says:

I’d like to see a “troll” table at the Summit. Five guys sitting in front of their laptops in Hurley’s typing insults to each other because they lack the social skills to do it face-to-face.

43. WarHero says:

Well said bro! Well said!! I could not agree more :)

————————————————————————

44. HFX-HabFan says:

Adam = history fail

45. Habsone says:

He’s playing a lot bigger!!

46. Mark C says:

Don’t forget the Nobel Peace Prize he won in 1990 for his role in breaking up the Soviet Union.

47. petefleet says:

Same arguement posters had last year when Halak shone and Price sucked.  You got anything new or original to back up the Demi God Price?

Go Habs Go

48. adam76 says:

Hes a 4 year NHL veteran with a multi-million dollar contract and a supermodel GF.  He will be OK.

A constant of the universe is if you play crappy in Montreal, you will get booed – preseason or not.  It amazes me how you are all shocked and confused by this.

TO be honest, I was shocked he didn’t get booed harder.

49. Chorske says:

A thoughful post, Mike.

50. mike g says:

Mike G’s Tursday morning NHL thaughts…

- Thanks to all who responded to my book I wrote below. I was expecting 100 replies, but I guess I’ll blame my lack of fame on Price.

- Judging by the crazy reactions/analysis following the worst defeat in Habs history last night, I’ll evaluate the rest of last night’s action using that same fram of mind. The Tampa Bay Lightining showed the hockey world last night why they will win the Stanley Cup this year by beating the Chicago Hawks.

- Guy Boucher is now 2-0 in pre-season hockey, and Jacques Martin is 0-1. Do I really have to show more proof of who’s the better coach?

- Roberto Luongo and the Vancouver Canucks lost to last years last place team in the Edmonton Oilers last night. Luongo allowed 2 goals in 30 minutes of action, and the Oilers didn’t even ice a strong team last night. Things aren’t looking good for Vancouver this year. Lottery pick, anyone?

- The Leafs beat the Sens last night, a team that made the playoffs last year. Put 2 and 2 together, and you can figure out for yourself that the Leafs will now definitely make the postseason this year.

- The St-Louis Blues won 5-1 last night against the Wild. Jaroslav Halak wasn’t in goal for the Blues, as he made his debut with the club the night before. In his debut he lost 3-1, giving up all 3 goals in less than 2 periods. Fans in St-Louis are becoming impatient, as some are suggesting there’s a worrisom trend with their team this year. When Halak played on Tuesday night, the Blues only scored 1 goal for him and didn’t play a good game. But last night, when he wasn’t dressed, they scored 5 goals and won the game. Things aren’t looking good for the Blues’ playoff hopes this year. Stay tuned for updates on this ugly trend…

- Guillaume Latendresse, a 27 goal scorer last year with the Wild, was held pointless last night in his season debut with the Wild. Fans are apparently very worried that last year was just a fluke, and one fan went as far as to say they should have kept Pouliot, since Benoit had a couple of scoring chances in his debut last night.

- And finally, the Flyers look like they’re addicted to shootouts. They made the playoffs by winning their final game in one last year, and started off the pre-season by winning in a shootout versus the Devils on Tuesday night. That’s something that is worrying the fans in Philly, because alot are saying the team isn’t mentally mature enough to finish games in regulation.

And that’s whats going on in the NHL.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

51. Chuck says:

Actually, Gorbachev was the guy that brought about the end to the Communist party supremacy, and ultimately, the USSR.