Habs sticking to goaltending plan

Colleagues at the Bell Sports Complex report on Twitter this morning that the Canadiens will stick to their goaltending scheme for the preseason, i.e., Carey Price will not be in goal tomorrow when the Ottawa Senators visit the Bell Centre.

Price is skating with Team B in Brossard this morning, leaving some to think that he’d be thrown right back into battle after last night’s lacklustre performance against the Boston Bruins.

Pat Hickey will check in later with details as the Habs prepare for a four-game, four-night stretch.

1. rocketsglare says:

Marinaro of Team 990 is an idiot suggesting that the more the fans boo, the more likely Price

will leave Montreal. What’s going to make Price leave is his continuing underperformance.

Price should be more concerned about his play and how he can improve than the booing he

has had to endure. If the booing is truly affecting his performance then it tells me that he is

either not meant to start in net or is not strong of mind and management perhaps should be-

gin to re-evaluate their “thoroughbred”.

Enough with the endless excuses for Price. He has been in the league long enough to under-

stand how things are and work and it is up to him to correct his game and begin to play up

to his abilities and yes, to his potential. I think even Price would agree with that assessment.

2. RJB says:

I thought the same, I also thought he looked confident, something I had not seen since he first arrived! Lets hope he keeps it up!

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    – Bilbo Baggins

3. HFX-HabFan says:

I personally think it’s a French thing.  Being dramatic and such.

4. Sheldon says:

Why you gonna call Gorbachev? He allowed the former Soviet Union to fall. In the end, he was an agent for freedom.

5. pic1983 says:

Im totally embarassed to be a habs fan today…

Booing a 23 year old in the first PRE-SEASON game.  What a joke.  These “fans” should pick another team to “cheer” for.

6. saskhabfan says:

Very similar to what happens here. Guys like adam and observer and his 25 user names love to troll behind the internet. But in the real world wouldn’t say jack.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

7. Sheldon says:

Don’t dignify them by calling them a “herd.” They are a “gaggle!”

8. adam76 says:

Outstanding – I;’ll call Gorbachev and let him know the Communist Party is back!

Play bad, Montreal fans boo.  Like it or not, its a fact that will never change.

9. saskhabfan says:

Its like a redneck murder scene,they all have the same DNA with no dental records.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

10. Chorske says:

Oh sure, the fans would grumble over a bad call, or too much cycling of the puck, or bad giveaways. But then it would be done, over with, one shift later and the fans would be refocused on the game.

What happens today is something new to me- the systematic bullying of a single player, braying at his every move, waiting like vultures for the first sign of weakness or mistake to start hooting like jerks. It’s not just the booing, it’s the sarcastic cheering, which brings the whole thing down to the level of a circus of hooligans. It seems that every year, one player gets targeted to be run out of town, and no holds are barred. This year, they’ve chosen Price.

It is classless and base. And it’s chickenshit, because you know none of those boobirds would say boo to Price’s face, one on one. No, they’d rather hide in the bleachers or on HIO and cry like babies- anonymously.

11. nunacanadien says:

Didn’t Price have all last year to practice also?  And Halak played when necessary, in fact almost all year.

12. Storm Man says:

Best you don’t go to any live games Adam.

13. derfab says:

I agree that Price has been given a hard time and that it will not get easier, until the Habs are successful. Then he will be the sexiest guy in town.

The only reason Montreal fans are any “better” (or worse) than any other slobs in the sporting universe is that they continue to follow their team and show up to every game, just like those other idiots in Toronto or Green Bay or Liverpool…

24 cups makes the team better. The fans are not special, just a little retarded.

14. Storm Man says:

the 2000 0r so donkeys at the Bell centre need to be locked up so they can rethink who they are in life.

15. Chuck says:

The problem isn’t fans that boo. The problem is fans that don’t even know why they’re booing. It’s a herd mentality.

I don’t see a problem with booing a bad call or a bad play, but booing a player just for the sake of it seems really counter-productive.

16. adam76 says:

I disagree.  They booed in every era.

17. Sheldon says:

Find your sense of humour. It’s a very long season.

18. Mark C says:

If that is true, then it is high time to change that culture, unless it can be proven that booing improves player and team performance. I don’t know about you, or any of the boo birds, but I for one, really only care about seeing the Montreal Canadiens win another Cup. Even if booing were only to negatively affect the chances of winning a Cup by 0.1%, then it is time to do away with any and all hindrances to Montreal’s Cup chances.

19. Sheldon says:

Inglewood Jack!!!

20. Chuck says:

single-handedly

21. adam76 says:

So lock up fans that boo?  In Soviet Russia,,,,,

22. Say Ash says:

Can everybody stop going full retard and discuss some other question marks? How about Pouliot? I thought he looked great out there, playing with some conviction, even throwing the body around.

23. SmartDog says:

I don’t like to fool around with optimism but I have to say I think our prospect pool looks pretty darned AWESOME!

Pelushaj impressed me last night and has impressed me just as much in his interviews.  So much of the game is mental and this kid seems to have a bit of PK in him…. upbeat, feet on the ground smarts.

Tinordi played well for a freakin’ 18-year old. Couldn’t ask much more from the kid – if he improves look out.

Leblanc looked good too… and then there’s Eller, MaxPac and all the other guys we’ve been developing.

If we could only get rid of Gomez, our future could be bright!  LOL

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

24. HFX-HabFan says:

Being spoiled by some ridiculously great teams in the past leads to a pompous sense of self-entitlement, and if the babies don’t get what they want, they cry.

25. adam76 says:

So Roy single handily won two Stanley cups?

26. Laramy87 says:

Sanford was not nearly as challenged as much as Price was last nite either. We cannot really praise his efforts. He made 6 saves on 6 shots. One of which was a slap shot from the point with NO TRAFFIC. He didn’t face 6 men screeing him and a shot from the point nor did he face two breakaways from an elite player in the league like Bergeron.  The bashing of Price after one is game it totally not warranted.

What really sucks tho is becuase this is Montreal, this is going to set a precendent. Next game Price plays, the second he lefts in goal (first goal of the game even worse) fans are going to be all over again, with the whole “here we go again” mentality. This is totally not fair, they are given up before giving a chance this year.

Pathetic “habs fans” is all these ppl are. Show faith in your team and goalie.

27. saskhabfan says:

The sad part is by rebuilding it will probably mean going back to late 90’s when the only ufa’s we could were the one’s who were over the hill and had to heavily overy pay for. Back when players like peter bondra and others refused to be traded to montreal and guys like recchi couldn’t wait to get out.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

28. Chuck says:

Jersey a few of the drunken ingrates up in the blues, and they’ll finally start to get the message!

29. SmartDog says:

I think what happened is we outshot the other team and Price was in shock.

BTW, Tinordi did a good job out there!

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

30. adam76 says:

For all of you complaining about the boo birds – you have to understand that booing is part of the teams culture.  Montreal fans boo (slow on the powerplay as an example) everything.  Has been like that for 101 years.

Only way to reverse the booing is to win.

Complaining about Montreeal fans booing is like being upset that water is “wet”.

31. RGM says:

I would suggest that folks like the individual you’re responding to aren’t part of the gene pool and procreating. If anything, he should be working on his homework and making sure he’s not sprouting too many pimples from all the Mountain Dew.

32. SeriousFan09 says:

A standin’ O for Mike G! Comment of the month.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

33. SmartDog says:

We’ll take it easy on you this time since it’s just pre-season.

But be warned, you have a week to work the kinks out.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

34. mike g says:

We publicly made fun of, and insulted, the best goaltender of all-time.

Now that’s what I call class….

Keep it up, I hope you like rebuilding.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

35. andrewberkshire says:

Definitely, and if Price needs extra time to work on his game, Auld can play only when necessary.

36. HabsTrueBlue says:

umm perhaps because nobody really cares who Sanford is skating with?

37. mtlhbsfn says:

trust me, I really wanted to – as I stated in an earlier post in a different thread – I was embarrassed …

38. SmartDog says:

I hear he didn’t make the cut at the rodeo.

I would guess he’s a better hockey player. :)

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

39. adam76 says:

You really are using the term “troll” incorrectly.

40. Sheldon says:

This team needs to get truculent with the fans, end of story!

41. Dave Stubbs says:

Different, fresher stuff surely coming from today’s practice from Hickey, and likewise from me from tomorrow’s game vs. Ottawa. Every hockey story in Montreal has a short shelf-life.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

42. ooder says:

so Price had a not so great game… oh maaaaaaaaa gaaaaaaawd

the sky is falling.

i didn’t see the game but 16 shots to 38 for us??

i am assuming the habs played well.. which is a good sign.

Price will get into game shape and shut his critics up..hopefully

——————

88 is the new 23

43. mike g says:

I’m sorry, did you feel targeted in my post?

Yea, I thaught so. And incase you’re wondering, I’m not going to waste my time asnwering to people like you anymore.

Maybe you should learn how to use your energy properly. I’m sure you have kids or more important things to worry about than coming here and wasting that energy complaining.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

44. Sheldon says:

Yep! All you need are a few “shifts of fury” where you pot three in three
    minutes and you are right back in it. It has also been my experience
    that if you go down double digits in the first half hour, you probably won’t come back. That’s when with one minute to go you invoke the “next goal wins option!”

45. HabsTrueBlue says:

Yes it’s 100% Gainey’s fault because every promising prospect that plays in the AHL goes on to become a major NHL star. Gawd when will people on HIO stop harping on about Gainey!

46. Habsone says:

Come on Price!  Put this game behind you and play like you can!  Pretend you’re at a rodeo!

Why not tell us who Sandford is skating with??? also.

Bill H–your right. I have had enough of it for sure. Not much mention about kids and new faces in town.

49. MTLForever says:

It’s preseason….get over it. He let in one softy last night. This is where we should be watching our young guys who are fighting for a spot and trying to prove that they should be up in the NHL. Price is our goalie and I’m staying by him. What Halak did was great, but he’s not here anymore. Players come and go. He didn’t have the best showing in his St. Louis debut. You can’t win every game, that’s just not realistic in hockey and we all know it. Habs fans are the best and the worst. Take the 4-2 loss, and move on to the next PRESEASON game.

50. Chuck says:

I couldn’t agree more. The goaltending tandem this year is set with Price/Auld, so giving minutes to their AHL goalies should be way down the ladder of priorities.

51. G-Man says:

Give me a break. Long-winded and filled with the same tripe about the “long run.” In the long run, goalies that don’t perform in the NHL stay in the minors until they are ready. Price has regressed- we have all been witness to it. Annointing him the #1 after last season was a horrendous management decision and the fans will let them know if Price fails to win more than he loses. Last night did not count as anything but a practice game. It doesn’t matter if Price doesn’t stop a puck in the pre-season because of his position as #1. It will only count when the season starts.

Blaming fans for a player’s performance is another in the long line of excuses I keep reading here at HIO.

Stick up for him all you want; I want to see a good goalie help the team win- I don’t care if he’s big or small, as long as he stops the effing puck.

52. rated_R says:

get over it…if you didn’t know he’s wearing a habs jersey…support the dude

MIKE G, good post! I think he will make it here though, as soon as he continues to do exactly what he did last night. Play his game, get dressed and leave. The media is most of the problem here in Mtl. Trouble is he does not know who the bad apples are in the press core.

54. soperman says:

Well said, Mike G.  It is the PRE-SEASON people.  Let’s keep things in perspective.

_________________________________________________________________

“You want to keep weening de Coupe? Then sign zee great Pew-sie!”

55. andrewberkshire says:

For those saying Price shouldn’t have started, you couldn’t be more wrong. He NEEDED to be thrown right into the fire, and he should be thrown right back in for a full 60 mins the next game. Let him work it off now while the games don’t matter.

56. rated_R says:

PLZZZ people if your at the game and you see “fans” booing our own players punch em in the f’in face…

57. habs bandwagon fan says:

up to the challenge? 4 goals on 9 shots. yup!

maturity? yup. refusing to stick around and talk to the media. yup yup yup the thoroughbred is ready.

58. Chuck says:

“…but it shows on the ice how they do not trust him in goal.”

Really? How so? If they didn’t trust him, they certainly wouldn’t let him handle the puck as much as he does.

Last night was an example of the Habs as a whole getting off to a rocky start, and Carey took the brunt of it. After they got their legs, Sanford played in front of what looked like an entirely different team. If the goaltending duties had been reversed, we’d be taking about wow quiet of a night Carey had and how Sanford is nothing but an AHL goalie.

59. Bill H says:

With all due respect Mr. Stubbs, and no small measure of admiration for the excellent job you do, can we move on and look at something of consequence?  To continue with your rodeo analogy, I don’t think they are allowed to flog a dead horse at the Calgary Stampede.  How about some news about some of our rookies?  I know people are passionate about Price one way or the other, and that generates hits on HI/O, but I also see a lot of posters who are tired of Price issue.  Please give us something else to discuss.

60. RGM says:

Well put. Well put indeed. From one fan to another.

61. SmartDog says:

FIRST GAME in five months, time for a WEE RANT!!!!

…. I am GLAD Price had a SUCKY outing. Get it freakin’ overwith!  Everybody, let’s trash our goalie!  Hey, we ordered a PERFECT goalie!  This one let’s in goals! Give the guy a break.  These pre-season games are about being tested and learning.  Nothing more.  Why is no-one crapping all over Spacek for his bone-headed play?  Because it’s the pre-season, where bone-headed plays belong.

…. But… as tired as I am of people being so ready to crap on Price, I am even MORE tired of this TOTAL BS about the “team in front of him let him down”.  For Firetruck SAKES!! OTHER players make mistakes too. One of the jobs of a goalie is to bail out his team when they give up a break-away or otherwise mess up.  Price let in 4 goals on 10 shots. If he’s going to be a #1 he needs to pull some pucks out of the fire.  His teammates need to screw up and he needs to bail them out.  Sometimes he needs to stop pucks he doesn’t even see.  That’s what the BEST GOALIES IN THE WORLD DO!  That’s why they sign contracts making more money by the time they are 25 than their moms and dads made together in the 20 years of devotion it took them to put the kid there. Anyway, Price needs to sort his game out and he has the time to do it.  Nuff said.

….MUCH MORE INTERESTING last night was the easy play of my man Pleks, who looked dangerous on every shift.  He just seemed to be having fun – and driving the Boston D crazy. Aaron Pelushaj was also somethign to watch.  If this kid keeps it up, watch for AK46 to be shipped out to anyone who’ll pick up his contract.  And as much as I WAS a fan of AK, I wouldn’t be sad to see him go.  I just don’t see him finding the consistancy he needs.  And another thing I like about Pelushaj is the kid is SMART and has his feet on the ground.  In interviews he is composed, clear on where he is and on what’s happening around him. It’s that same prescence that shows on the ice.  I hope he keeps it up.

….AND ANOTHER THING… damn! I’m out of time.  More rants later!

SD

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

62. rated_R says:

give this guy a standing ovation…well said…i wish more of our “fans” were like you!

63. petefleet says:

A lot of posters are say ing it’s no big deal that Price sucked.  A lot of them are pointing to proven goalies who havee also lost in the preseason as some kind of defence of that.  THe difference is that Price has not played well for 2 years and out of that he is handed the #1 goalie job.  It is vitally importrant that Price wins whether it’s preseason or mid season.  Ultimately the whole team will either prosper or suffer on his performances.  There are no excuses.  All the talk of how mature he is this year and how he’s ready for the big time is not worth the paper it’s printed on.  Price has  got to win hockey games.  He has to make the big saves.  He may have to make incredible saves game in game out for 40 games this year until the team begins to believe in him.  Honestly, I don’t know how they can believe in him right now because he obviously doesn’t believe in himself, despite what managemant is saying.  None of the players will ever say it, but it shows on the ice how they do not trust him in goal.  I believe he has mountains of swagger but very little confidence.

PS: It’s all Bob Gainey’s fault.  Carbo wanted him to stay in Hamilton.  The rest is history.

Go Habs Go

64. VintageFan says:

Montreal used to have the best fans in the world.  But that was back when they were both passionate and knowlegeable.  Now they are just passionate

65. HFX-HabFan says:

Well said.  Thanks for taking the time to write it all out.

I blame a pompous, self-righteous, sense of entitlement from bleeding heart drama queen fans (I’d go out on a limb to suggest that the majority of these are French because French people like being dramatic), and of course a fishbowl media that chooses to make stupid examples out of non-stories to fuel their fires.

66. Chuck says:

Sounds like you’re speaking from experience.  ;)

67. mike g says:

Dear Carey Price,

Here in Montreal, we love to call ourselves the best fans in the world. I think that, like very statement, is true to a certain extent. Just like in every other field in the world, you have some good apples mixed with the ones that poison Adam and Eve.

But yesterday, it was time to pick the apples and find out which ones were good enough to send to the stores and which ones were destined for the bottom of the barrel. It’s something that’s done every year at exactly this time. Now if you actually think I’m talking about apples, I’m not.

I’m talking about the supposed “fans” of the Montreal Canadiens. You know, that team that’s talked about so much, and often carries the label of the most storied franchise in all of hockey? Yeah, that team. The one you play for, and the one that will end up losing you in a few years. Anyways, well get to that later…

These “fans” I’m speaking of, showed their true colors once again last night. They showed the hockey world that they know absolutely nothing about hockey. And I’m not speaking about all the fans, but I’m taking about the majority of them. The ones who booed last night, and who boo more often than a ghost on Halloween. These are the people who call themselves “fans”. These are the same people who paint names of our players on stop signs after they helped us win 1 playoff round. These are the same people who chanted your name in game 3 of last years playoffs vs Washington when Jaro was pulled and it was 4-0 in the second period, and our team was going to be down 2-1 in the series. And, these are also the same people who have a telescope on you at all times. Is this fair, no. Should it be happening, no. Will it last, no.

One day, and it will be pretty soon, you will be playing for another team. That’s not because you’re not up for the challenge, because if you weren’t you wouldn’t be back this year. You would’ve taken all the garbage that the “fans” threw at you, and thrown it back at them. But instead, you stayed calm and decided it would be better to make these people proud in the long run. Well, it ain’t gonna happen, because the “fans” don’t understand what the term “long run” means. They probably associate it with someone who is running for a long period of time. What this all means is that no matter what you do in your stay as our goaltender, nothing will ever be good enough. You could’ve made 50 saves last night, and then let in a softie with 10 seconds to go, win the game 10-1, and the “fans” still would not have been happy.

This is because, you’re facing a bunch of people with loaded guns. And these guns don’t have one bullet, the barrel is full and they have bags full of ammo. The Halak trade is ammo. Your win of the Calder Cup, World Juniors, and great rookie season are ammo. The media is a bunch of bullets, and so are a whole bunch of other things. You see, no matter what positives rise on a given night, there will always be more negatives. This is how Montreal has become, and there’s nothing that can be done to change it. The wolves are starving for a steak, and they’ll eat every single thing in their way that can possibly become this steak.

It’s impossible to become a good player here when expectations are set high in this city. Guys like Pleks became who they are, because when they arrived they weren’t told to us that they’d get 70 points one day. We had zero expectations, and let him grow into the player he became. When Josh Georges arrived, nobody expected anything from him, and now he’s considered to be one of our best leaders. You see, if guys like that were sold to us like a future 1st line centerman, and a possible captain, they wouldn’t have become that in Montreal. Because when players arrive here, the “fans” automatically set a bar for them. Those who we expect nothing from, become good players because we let them be themselves. But those like you, and many others, who’m we set an impossible standard to reach when rookies, will always fail because it’s impossible for you guys to fulfill those roles.

And that’s Montreal, my friend. That’s why when we had the best goaltender in the world, we chased him out of town after he won us 2 Stanley Cups by himself. That’s why a coach like Jacques Lemaire said no thank you to Montreal last year, because he knows that he won’t be able to do his job without being asked why he lives in the southern part of town and not across the street from the Bell Center. And that’s why you will not last here, because you were never given a fair chance. When you arrived, you had Huet breathing right behind you. Then it was Halak. And now, it’s the “fans”.

And that’s not fair. The “fans” have ruined any possible chance you have of succeeding in this city. Anytime players on a team have to begg the “fans” to stop booing their teammate, there’s a serious problem. Booing happens at all levels, but it’s usually shrugged off. But in this city, it has reached such an insane point that professional players have to ask people to stop doing this in their interviews. If you ask me, that’s an insult to a fanbase.

So, as I continue to support you and your efforts in this city, I personally hope you can move on to another team in order to succeed. I’m positive their fans will embrace you, and let you become who you will become. They’ll enjoy the ups and downs, because they know that in the “long run” you will win the race. And once that happens, people back here in Montreal will do what they always do; complain.

And that’s Montreal, my friend Carey. That’s what it’s become.

From,

a Fan.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

68. Sheldon says:

Going mental about a pre-season house league game is right up there with going down seven goals in the first five minutes of pickup hockey and going home with 85 minutes of ice time left.

69. SBAH says:

They cant keep price on the bench, play him, play him and play him some more, if he can keep up with the other thorougbreds its going to be a good race. If he can’t keep up off to the glue factory.

70. HabsFanNorway says:

Anyone know if RDS will re-open their streaming of Canadiens games this year? I tried Center Ice last year but got tired of american broadcasts. RDS had a great product 2 years ago!

Everyone from Sweden, Finland (swedish speaking), Norway, Denmark: Join the Facebook group “Montreal Canadiens Fan Club Scandinavia”!

71. Olay Olay Olay says:

Tough night for Price, not so much because of his play but because if D-men let him down once again. Out of the 4 against him I would say the first was the only bad goal. What kills me is to watch a veteran like Spacek making brain dead rookie plays that result in goals and then Price paying for it.

I was never a big fan of Price but let’s call a spade a spade. Like it or not, he’s the #1 goalie for the Canadians so we may as well back him up.

Shout out to the booers. If you don’t like it, do everyone a favor and stay the f*** home.

72. lavie says:

I don’t disagree with you that it’s coach’s job, but if I look back at how Gauthier let proved-No.1-goalie Halak go and MADE Price the No. 1 goalie, I believe Gauthier-Martin should have some strategies on playing Price.

73. Habsrule1 says:

interesting opinion. at least you’re honest.

I just hope you can cheer for the goalie along with the team we have now. I was pissed when roy got traded, but not for a minute did I wish for the Habs to do badly, or the new goalie, for that matter. the Habs were always my team, regardless of who played for them and who no longer did.

i actually see the opposite. From what i have seen, bigger goalies generally have more success. Halak is too small to be consistent in the NHL. He is also not physical at all. Granted, there have been exceptions, but I think Halak will have a tough go of it. Price is big & strong and not afraid to push back. beyond that, we have seen his quickness and rebound control. I think his only problem was his maturity, and from all indications, he has really been working on that, as well as his effort level.

Price is here for at least 2 years. you have my personal guarantee, and that’s like GOLD. ;-)

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

74. LA Loyalist says:

All time: Gainey – to get him drunk enough (probably impossible) to tell us what the f really happened that he had to blow up the team. I’m not saying it wasn’t necessary – but I don’t think we know what really was going on.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

75. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Question: If you had a chance to sit down with one Hab for a beer or two, who would it be?

I would pick Jaro Spacek, this guy is my favorite at giving interviews, I think he’d be even funnier after a few beers.

76. aemarchand11 says:

Gomez, the guy is a riot.

2010-2011

77. adam76 says:

current – Cammalleri

all time – Lafleur

78. TripleX says:

Rask was rusty?  Wow we are in for tough season against the Bruins.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

79. fbkj says:

have you ever played hockey?

80. Slovak says:

Many of you know I wanted Halak to stay here, but now even I feel really bad for Price…

90% is in his head – so management should find some specialist who can cure that.

Because remeber what makes Halak great – he knows how to rebound from bad times,

consequently, this rebound energy makes him better step by step.

And that is why he can compete at the highest level – he competes with himself…

only my (bad english) opinion

81. TheDagger says:

I think we both know the answer to that.

82. SeriousFan09 says:

Desjardins was not much better than Sanford, the team lost nothing sending him off since it lets them have Ramo working in the KHL while Mayer moves up from the ECHL so they can have two prospective backups working out and there isn’t one proven backup making 1 million in the league right now.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

83. fbkj says:

well lets hope jaro can rebound

84. jrshabs1 says:

Since there wasn’t an !!! at the end of LA’s comment I don’t believe that he thought it was that funny either but, because he’s clearly not a douche like a certain cat he made a friendly comment.

85. Storm Man says:

I’m looking forward to it.

86. Slovak says:

I would say let’s hope Price will learn how to do it.

87. sholi2000.com says:

I agree, he was horrible on Tuesday night.  Good luck Jaro our prayers are with you………:)

I can’t get over oh well the Habs were last night.  I like it!!

They Call Me Shane

88. Storm Man says:

Oh wise one did you get kicked out of your sandbox again? save your I love Halak bs for the team you now cheer for. I for one would like you to learn the game of hockey as you have no clue that it is a team sport.

89. Slovak says:

I feel sorry for you “I can’t see the world because my ego is so big”, I can only smile at you, no more words needed :)))

90. CP31 says:

I think CP should seek advice from Pleks in terms of getting his head straight and gaining his confidence back. I think most people would agree that Pleks did a full 360 from 2 years ago coming into last year. I still remember his playoff interviews from 2 years ago where he seemed so completely down and out.

I don’t know if Pleks seeked professional advice, read some confidence book or got Tony Robbins to come in and inspire his ass, but it has seemed to work.

It’s quite obvious there has been some damage done “upstairs” in terms of his confidence…………..if he plans on ever becoming the goalie that we know he is capable of becoming, then he needs to gets this problem fixed.

FROM SAKU TO GIO, SAME STATURE AND JUST AS MUCH HEART!! GREAT DECISION!!

91. Storm Man says:

I understand your a sorry person but from now on try and get your facts first as you can distort them later. :)

92. Sheldon says:

Close to it if my memory serves me correctly. Boy, the wheels came off that bus pretty quickly.

93. Sheldon says:

Somehow something just doesn’t seem right about HIO today. I know what we’re missing. FREE TIMO!!!

94. adam76 says:

What is the backstory to “free timo”?

95. adam76 says:

Looking at the first goal – me thinks Price was unaware he was playing.

96. nunacanadien says:

I hope that Martin selects another winning goalie this year whoever it may be to start games like Halak did last year.

97. Chorske says:

he’s gone, and some people can’t seem to let him go

it’s a bit of a theme around here

Hockey is a team sport but in sports there are certain positions that require an athlete to not be mediocre in, quarterback in football, pitcher in baseball, and yes goaltender in hockey. Price needs to be better than he was last night or else the knives will be out and he may be gone before he even gets a chance to get better, which would suck if he gets better elsewhere.

Maybe that’s the lesson the boo-birds at the Bell Centre need.

99. nunacanadien says:

Yes, poor Jaro Spacek, hope he rebounds those pucks into the other net instead….

100. Sheldon says:

Lots of pretenders to the throne on HIO today.

101. Storm Man says:

The last time I looked you win nothing for winning in the PRE-SEASON. I don’t see Rivers booooed in Charger land in the pre-season for tossing a pick,  I don’t see Sabathia booooed when he gives up a few home runs in pre-season in Yankee ville. Funny no one on here is talking about how bad number 6 played last night? guess the sheep went to the Bell Centre last night. :)

102. LA Loyalist says:

Price has his own goalie coach – where’s the accountabilty there?? Groulx, I believe.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

103. nunacanadien says:

I guess this year Gauthier decided goal tending is not a priority in Montreal this year.

104. Xtrahabsfan says:

WHAT GOALTENDING PLAN ?lol……..

105. Xtrahabsfan says:

MAN-UP stormgirl….your boy SUCKED !

Spacek totally deflected the 1st goal past Price. He still hasn’t earned Breeze-by or BAMBAM honurs. Soon. Soon.

107. nunacanadien says:

Isn’t this how Halak got his foot into the door?  Let’s hope we find our goal tending solution tomorrow night.

108. nunacanadien says:

The big difference here: Gauthier painted himself into this corner with the goalie mess, only Gauthier to blame with the manner in which he chose to conduct his negotiations.

109. Xtrahabsfan says:

Wow,God is going to replace Price in nets….could work!

110. Storm Man says:

Guess you were busy when he made a nice play to cough up the puck and send PB on a shorthanded breakaway.

111. LA Loyalist says:

Phil Rivers isn’t 20 and 60 something W/L

test tagline: “We may be sheep but you can’t pull the wool over our eyes.”

112. Storm Man says:

That is funny so when did you become a man? smell does not count. I cheer for the team so all 21 of my boys sucked last night. Maybe you should start your own movement today…….. eat some prunes.

113. LA Loyalist says:

Guys, whacha think of my new (test) tagline? inspired by the Storm Man who called the non-Pricebots “Sheep”.

test tagline: “We may be sheep but you can’t pull the wool over our eyes.”

114. jrshabs1 says:

What are your thoughts on the goaltending situation Dave Stubbs? Just heard from God so now I’d like your opinion. x2

115. Storm Man says:

Who is the Phil guy? The last time I looked at the stats for 2010-2011 Price is 0-0-0. Btw it is Philip Rivers no one calls him Phil lol

116. Storm Man says:

LOL your calling me a pricebot….. That is rich like the way you distort facts. Here is something for you to chew on for the rest of the season. A wise man makes his own decisions, An ignorant man follows public opinion. All of us on here know what part of the line you fall in. Ignorant Loyalist should be your tag line.

117. pic1983 says:

Hes so brutal sometimes….Like I appreciate the effort, but let the goalie do his job! Dont do it for him!

Spacek and hammer both are notorious for diving to block passing lanes and putting the puck in the net themselves, or sliding into the goalie…

118. observer says:

The agent of the world’s largest sumo wrestler was seen lurking outside Gauthier’s office today and said his athlete would block more shots than the Habs current #1 can.

119. observer says:

preseason means nothing AND those booing know it. this is a cumuliation of almost 2 full years of poor play by Price since Jan. 1, 2009.  And the rage that Gauthier/Gainey traded away a goalie the team won with which at 20 wins of his last 68 price did not. “IF IT AIN’T BROKE DON’T FIX IT.” HALAK’S TEAM MADE THE FINAL 4!!!!!!!!!!

120. observer says:

Great stat! AND Pouliot is tied in scoring not only with Crosby but Ovechkin too at 0-0-0.

121. LA Loyalist says:

that was funny.

“tagline pending”

122. observer says:

in his case especially now this year, if so they shouldnt have started him until their first road exhibition game.

Why not. Jesus Price is soon to be crucified.

124. LA Loyalist says:

which facts are distorted? Pls explain and will retract any distorition, but reality is the guy is 20/60 something the last 2 years, his save % was like 50% last night.

how long should we wait?

I was going to shut up for 20 games because I hoped that dealing Halak, announcing Price #1, having no one looming in the wings to threaten him… all those things would pump him up AND he would be inspired to play well to thank management, his coaches and fans for having faith in him.

I’m not making up the numbers, they are what they are.

I hope I’m wrong and he plays great. I swear to you.

And don’t say pre-season doesn’t matter.

My 7 year old plays with more competitive spirit and pride (and for free) than Price showed last night. There is something wrong with him, I don’t even think it’s his fault and I sure don’t know what it is, but that’s another discussion.

There’s a fact for you. I appreciate that you’re concerned citizen, well so are the rest of us.

“Ignorant Loyalist, apparently”

125. Storm Man says:

I don’t recall in my post where I was saying about what Price has done in the past did I? you called me a Pricebot that is distorting the facts plain and simple, I cheer for the team and if you watched last nights game you would see only 5 or so players had pride and spirit but no you want to over look that fact and follow the distorted posse on here. Here are my facts on this matter case closed. By all means if Price plays like this come April bash him all you want. I have a funny feeling you will be posting how great he is and the team is doing at that point in the season.

126. SeriousFan09 says:

Goalies are different Loyalist, they always have been, always will be. You can’t gauge them like you gauge the skaters and they can go from brick walls to swiss cheese at the drop of a hat. All goalies show rust in pre-season and allow bad goals and don’t act the way their fans might want them to. How a goalie sees the game and how everyone else sees the game? Two different worlds. Goalies work in their heads above all else and they can’t change that mentality and appear more or less emotional to please fans without disrupting what allows them to win.

Price works best when he’s got icewater in his veins, that was the praise when he came up, cool, collected and unshakeable. People loved that, that nothing seemed to bother him. Now they hate it and claim he has to act angry about everything… Can’t win. A goalie wins with a certain mental attitude that he’s used since his early days, he doesn’t change that for the crowd.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

127. LA Loyalist says:

I agree with you. I don’t care what his style is. Hasek looked like an epileptic dog some nights. Dryden looked like he was falling asleep. I don’t have a preference.

I played goalie through college and I understand you can’t be flailing around in a frenzy. In fact less is usually more. A shooter is in motion and has to do something, a goalie in position can often wait him out.

My question is where is the ice water Price you mention? We haven’t seen it much. I don’t have an answer for you and I’m sorry.

If we had a veteran on the end of the bench to cover our asses, I and I think many others would be much more patient. But we don’t, and neither have we the depth to trade for one. Also Price is not a rookie any more. Everything has been set up for him to succeed… you know the stats, I’m not going to reiterate.

I am greatly concerned about the software between his ears. He has the skill, no one is questioning that.

Hope I’m wrong. thanks for listening.

128. LA Loyalist says:

M. Storm I will buy you all the cold draft you can handle if Price comes around and plays like he is certainly capable of.

I’m worried, that’s all. And I’m worried that we have no backup plan, and as I said to Serious above, we don’t have the depth of assets to trade for a veteran to see us through Price’s painful teenage years – which must be what this must be because I sure don’t know what it is.

The numbers are the numbers. Let us implore together to the ghosts of the forum that they improve.

129. SeriousFan09 says:

We haven’t seen it really for a long time of course, I’m just thinking of his first year in Montreal which was the soruce of his highest performances, that attitude of his was his winning attitude but he seems to have had trouble recapturing it and holding it down since January of ’09. Flashes of brillance where that was on display have come around, but locking it down? Not of late.

Grown tired of people insisting Price should behave differently, they should insist he became like he was, the unflappable Price, not Hextall the 2nd. I want that old Price back and I’ve seen it in his solid moments since his decline, but I’m always annoyed when people insist a goalie has to change his entire attitude. They should insist he get back to what he was, not change who he is.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

130. jrshabs1 says:

How do you honestly feel about our goaltending situation Dave Stubbs?

131. Mark C says:

Hey, Yannick Weber sure made some smart plays with the puck last night. His effort and level of competition seemed high. I think it’s unwise to write him off just yet.

132. adam76 says:

I agree – however, going to be very hard to crack this lineup.

133. Bill H says:

LOL ain’t that the truth.

134. fbkj says:

@ DarrenDreger tweets Carey Price message to fans “relax, chill out, we have lots of time. We’re not winning S.Cup on 1st exhibition game.”

135. LA Loyalist says:

thank you. I concur, once a goalie starts thinking it’s a problem.

“Ignorant loyalist, apparently.”

136. jrshabs1 says:

I like it….we are on the same page regarding everything Habs.

137. showey47 says:

was pretty solid made some good plays. only real blunder was when he got caught which led to the 3 on 1 goal

138. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I was at the game last night and I don’t understand how fans can cheer Patrice Bergeron, yes I know he’s Quebecois, and it’s all nice and dandy that he’s doing well, but he’s a freakin Bruin!!! IMO, nothing worse in this world than a Bruin, I don’t care if you’re name is O’Reilley, Jonathan, Middleton, Neeley, Ratelle, Orr, Cheevers, Lucic or Bergeron, you’re all scum and should never be cheered in Montreal, point finale!

Kinda reminded me of an Expos game I attended a while back where nos Amours were trailing the Dodgers in the 8th ining by 3 runs and Eric “Game Over’ Gagne comes in the game to a standing ovation,  and I’m sitting their dumbfounded until he throws his first pitch to Troy O’Leary who sent it to the bleachers in Right field! Then the crowd immediately turns on the home boy to celebrate the Expos victory!

139. The Cat says:

It wasnt that funny. What are you? Some sort of ignoramus? ;)

140. madcap_habsfan says:

and he’s right, the people who booed him piss me off royally.  I hope he comes out of last night with a strong will and desire to shut the pains in the arse boobirds up. To me the most important thing to see from Price is how he handles the whole situation, he’s got the whole team on his side and more then a few fans(at least on here ) as well so my feeling is he’ll come out of any situation this year just fine

-“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

141. Mark C says:

Troy “yummy” O’Leary, now there is a blast from the past!

142. madcap_habsfan says:

could have most likely been friends and family of his..or the odd bruin fan that does exist in this city

143. Storm Man says:

Oh well guess we can look forward to our Chargers kicking the tar out of the Seahawks on Sunday. I know I will get booooed alot at the game in my Charger gear the fans maybe the 12th man but it takes 11 to win the game lol.

144. forskis says:

I did not read the boards last night…but I figure with a bad outing the Pro-Halak/Anti-Price guys would be out in force saying “I told you” and “The season is over”….firstly, it was a pre-season game, and he played badly, plain as fact…BUT those of you pro-Halak guys who were telling those of us to not gloat over the Leafs’ pre-season loss since it was ONLY pre-season and meant nothing should listen to what you preach, it was only a pre-season game…I only say this because generally, the Halak guys who dump on Price regularly also believe the Leafs will be better than the Habs this season and have said so for the past 2 season.

It was one meaningless game that did not even count.  Teams have good pre-seasons and play badly during the regular season and vice-versa, the same goes for players.

But for fun…so far, both Halak and Price are 0-1 in pre-season.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

145. Xtrahabsfan says:

Just like a fanatic to blame non-fanatics as sheep,next he’ll be calling people heathen,eh!

146. derfab says:

Spacek’s blunders made everyone look solid in comparison. PK didn’t look too good on Bergeron’s first either. But they will be fine and Weber will be in Hamilton.

147. Harani says:

And I’d rather we lose all preseason and win when the season really starts. An 7-0-0 record in preseason is worth Nothing. Nada. Nyet.

“It must be love!”

148. TripleX says:

No worries guys like every decent GM PG has a backup plan in place.  Alex Auld?  Strike that comment.  Oh boy.

On a serious note I feel very bad for Carey Price, but is it really a surprise?  Did management not see the very real possibility of this coming?  That is why you have a backup plan!

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

149. Malreg says:

Weren’t the Leafs undefeated in Pre-season last year?

150. derfab says:

He wasn’t that bad. 3 of the 4 were very tough saves, icluding Bergeron in alone on him twice. He was only weak (slow to square to the shooter) on the first goal, which was tipped by Spacek.

151. LA Loyalist says:

Geez, Cat, I just thought it was funny as one doesn’t think of a G*d as corporeal, as in having mass, and a misty sort of deity would be insufficiently dense to stop a puck, though I guess they could just will it to stop.

After due consideration I would go with The Budda, or maybe one of those multi-armed Hindu G*ds if I needed a deity-type goalie.

Probably that’s not funny either. Sorry.

yours,

Ignoramus-habsrtoastus-leftcoastus

“we may be sheep but you can’t pull the wool over our eyes.”

152. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I’ve been to two games in Seattle at the old Kingdome to see the Bolts, must be nice at the new Stadium!

153. SeriousFan09 says:

Plenty of NHL teams have no options if their starter doesn’t get the job done, Miller gets hurst, Lalime is going to save the day? Please. Cam Ward’s bad year killed the Canes, EDM has nobody, Kiprusoff is out for a month and CGY is missing the playoffs. The list goes on.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

154. Mark C says:

No, just 6-3, but Leaf fans were calling Viktor Stalberg the second coming of Brett Hull.

155. Mark C says:

PK looked really lost, in fact I think got lost on the way to the rink last night.

156. LA Loyalist says:

Yo, Madcap! Where was his “strong will and desire to shut the pains in the arse boobirds” last night?

Just asking. Not like there was an NHL calendaring error and he didn’t know when the game was.

Draft tagline: “Denial is a river in Egypt that apparently runs under The Bell Center.”

157. derfab says:

Weaker Habs lineup tomorrow so they’ll probably fill the net. Andrei with D’Arche and Boyd? I guess Martin wants him to take charge.

158. TheDagger says:

Year after year, who are the rustiest players in training camp and pre-season?  Yes, goalies. Every year, almost every goalie.  Quick adjustment going from pickup hockey to NHL speed.  Not as hard for players to shake the rust as it is goalies. R.E.L.A.X.

159. TripleX says:

The difference is PG had the perfect opportunity to acquirre a proven backup but for unknown reasons chose not to, he compounded the problem by trading away our best minor league goalie.  Excuse me for cynically thinking PG did not want any competition for Price.  That is just bad management.  Again no blame on Price he is just a player trying to do his job, but management never makes it easy for him.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

160. TheDagger says:

Kiprusoff remains healthy all year… CGY is missing the playoffs.

161. 123456 says:

hey, i wanted it!!! ha ha

secret mod

162. Yeats says:

Lots of people going “Full Habs Fan” this morning!

This is like Yankee fans freaking out over a pair of split-squad losses to the Mets in Florida.

163. Bleu blanc rouge says:

When Price first made the Habs, they had him sharing a condo with Kyle Chipchura (do you remember him mister so knowledgable habs fan?) when they sent Chipchura back down to Hamilton and eventually traded him, they should have roomed price with another young guy maybe pacioretty or O’byrne or someone instead of leaving him in the place alone.

164. Chorske says:

Jaysus Murphy, we obviously disagree on what constitutes mentoring. Because when I think of mentoring, I don’t think about moving a kid in with another kid- especially one who is on the bubble.

The Lemieux-Crosby situation is/was unusual. A guy owed $30+ million bucks, protecting his investment.

As for moving guys in with guys- come on, they are adults, they need to find their way. The Habs do provide some guidance to their young players, in terms of budgeting, financial stuff, nutrition, good life habits and so on. You can mentor without smothering- in fact, giving someone the freedom to make some mistakes is an essential part of effective mentoring. It might not fit into the Price-must-be-perfect-right-now-or-I’m-gonna-pout mantra that some of you seem to be preaching, but the truth is that these hard times are important parts of a young person’s development.

165. Bleu blanc rouge says:

Your right we obviously disagree. I’m just saying it would have probably been better for price to have had a roomate for most of the season than not, or maybe Carbo was right, maybe Price would have benefitted a lot more by having had a full season in Hamilton to learn the pro game as opposed to being fast tracked right to the NHL. If he had some ups and downs at that level first instead of just ups (AHL Championship after short stint with Bulldogs) he might have had an easier time with ups and downs at NHL level.

166. Bleu blanc rouge says:

All um alone in um big city eh? How come the Canadiens organization was criticized by TSN and even some writers on our very own HIO for not rooming Carey with a mentor in his first year in Montreal like Lemieux did with Crosby?

167. Chorske says:

What do you know about what the Habs do or don’t do?

Lemieux didn’t just mentor Crosby- he freakin moved him into his house. This was because Lemieux wasn’t just a player- he was also the owner, so he had a vested interest in protecting his investment.

My question to you is- who should mentor young players like Price when they first arrive? Who says a guy like Spacek or Gill would even want to have some kid living in their house? And who decides which guys need mentoring, and which guys can hack it on their own? Because not all of them do.

The mentoring thing is a nice idea, and it’s nice it worked for the Kid and Super Mario, but it’s a total smokescreen.

168. Bleu blanc rouge says:

Montreal is almost like a europen city with all its culture. That’s why Russian and other european players adapt so well. Just look at Markov for instance he loves the place.

Yeats, after Ottawa creamed the Leafs 5 zip the night before, they just played them with one hand behind their back.

I’ve always been a real fan. Sorry if I don’t see the world through blue-blanc-rouge coloured lenses.

The bottom line is with Halak being the fan favourite and Price being the bed-shitter the last 2 seasons and that the Habs since Roy and Penney have been relying on goaltending I believe that if one was to go both should’ve been traded.

Price has a major uphill battle ahead of him. On one hand he has to pull his own ass out his slump and on the other he has to contend with Halak’s phenominal play-off run last season. Two major tasks at hand for him.

The bottom line is if he plays worse this season than last his stock will be of junk bond value.

171. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

You probably would have a better chance of getting that info from Carbo and it does seem like there was something “going on”, but I guess Gainey did right, since all the players who left did little or nothing for their new teams.

Fair enough but who do you suggest replace the GoatFather and his consiliere?

173. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

If having 4-5 girls throw themselves at you, everytime you walk in a bar, makes you feel like an alien or uncomfortable, please sign me up!

174. Bleu blanc rouge says:

Ok, a lot of people are probably not going to agree with this but here goes. I just think Carey Price has never looked comfortable in Montreal and I think I know the reason. He must feel like some sort of alien in Montreal. The guy is from a little Hick town in B.C. where he likes to listen to George Strait and drive around in his pickup truck probably muddy up to the windows in a place where for kicks, they probably like to chase pigs and chickens before heading to the rodeo. I mean seriously, do you think he feels as comfortable wearing his cowboy hat in Montreal as he does when he’s driving down that dirt road on his way to Mom’s house for Sunday cakes on the griddle? Please! I had a brother who was a country music freak in Montreal before he moved out west where I am and he told me he stuck out like a sore thumb in Montreal. I think this is how Price is feeling. Nobody can relate to him and he can’t relate to nobody beacause they don’t like the cowboy way. What did he do this summer? Stay in Montreal and attend some Grand Prix and enjoy some Montreal culture. No. He went back home and took part in the “Rodeo”. Maybe, just maybe he likes Bull Bustin’ in B.C. more than stopping pucks in Montreal. Carey listen up. Go to Pierre Gauthier and tell him you want a trade to Nashville, then you can get all the Hank Williams Jr and Bull Bustin’ you want because an Urban Cowboy sticks out like a sore thumb in Montreal.

175. LA Loyalist says:

Your theory is not the dumbest one I’ve heard. I’ve lived in Montreal and in Nashville and it’s different planets and he doesn’t seem like a very adaptable guy considering he’s young.

I wish we knew what the problem was so it could get fixed. But denying there is a problem is crazy.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

176. Chorske says:

This has got to be one of the most biased, prejudiced posts I have seen on here in a long time. You DO know Deliverance wasn’t a documentary, right, City Mouse? Have you ever even BEEN to BC? I mean really. You did everything except carp on his First Nations heritage. Poor injun, all alone-um in big-um city. What nonsense.

Also, I strongly object to the notion that the Grand Prix is Montreal culture. Please. A bunch of spoiled-ass multimillionaires jet in here for a weekend party, acting like the own the joint. Pff.

177. Jordio-oh says:

So with your theory in mind, how do you explain the success of the young russian players who crossed the soviet bloc to play in north america? Federov, Bure and Mogilny experienced a way greater culture shock and they turned out fine. I feel like I’m wasting my time on this, but I hiiiiiiighly doubt Price’s not being ‘comfortable’ in montreal has anything to do with the fact that he likes George Strait and pick-up trucks instead of wearing too much cologne, wearing pointy tipped aldo shoes, and too much junk in his hair.

If Dryden was a Hab today he’d be commenting on HIO from his iPhone while the Habs were at the other end.

179. Chuck says:

You mean by dicking the dog all day by hanging out on HI/O?  ;)

180. nunacanadien says:

I guess with Montreal this year it might be reserve judgement until the premature end of the season, at least with Halak, he took us into the playoffs.

181. Propwash says:

I’m reserving any judgement till the end of the season. As they say, “the ends justify the means.”

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

182. cautiousoptimist says:

I think I understnad it just fine.  If you don’t like your Big Mac a couple of times in a row, you go out and get a Whopper next time.  If enough people prefer Whoppers to Big Macs, McDonald’s goes under.

I’d suggest that if all the boo-birds went and became Leafs fans, there’d still be enough of us Habs fans to keep the team afloat.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  183. cautiousoptimist says:

Sorry, the logic doesn’t follow — are you really saying it’s all about money?  Employees who make more money are expected to deliver more results, sure, but only by their employers.  And if you argue that you’re Price’s employer because you bought a ticket and a hot dog, I would suggest that a) you’re paying an impossibly infinitesimal part of Price’s salary, and b) even employers have to maintain a certain level of respect for their employees, and can’t go yelling and hollering at them in the workplace.  If they did, they’d fnid themselves on the wrong end of a harassment lawsuit.

Nobody’s forcing you to go to the games root for the players — if there are other players on other teams that you like better, why not vote with your feet and root for some other clubs instead?

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  184. gloveside says:

You obviously don’t understand business at all, and certainly not the business of sports entertainment. I’m paying Price’s salary just as much if I’m paying the CEO of McDonalds salary by buying a hamburger. If mcDonalds is my hamburger of choice, I have expectations for that hambuger. If the quality of the product goes down [and I realize this can be purely subjective] I complain. If enough of the “salary-paying public” stops paying, that business ceases to exist.

In your scenario, the Habs roster would come to my work and boo my mistakes. Let’s expand. If my business was designed to entertain members of the Habs roster for X-amount of money and it was my job to provide that entertainment for X-amount of salary and I was not providing an adequate quality of entertainment to those Habs rosterees, I would expect some complaints.

Sports arenas and stadia are one of the only places where buying a ticket also entitles you to voice an opinion – including yelling and hollering. I have as much right to boo as you do to cheer [I was not, nor will I be one of the boo-birds]. If all one did was blindly cheer every boneheaded move by management or the team itself [again subjective] we’d be cheering the Leafs.

185. K-hab25 says:

As the gentleman said below you do have every right to boo, just as you do to live your life like a giant douchebag. It doesn’t mean either is the right way to conduct yourself. You act like a spoiled brat when your expectations aren’t met. What does that say about you? Did you teach your children to handle themselves the same when they don’t get there way? Grow up and act like an adult, not a spoiled child!!

186. saskhabfan says:

Its true anybody can go through life being an a$$hole to anybody they very well want too. Its their right. But these people who do these kind of things shouldn’t be going “WTF” when one of the people they insult stands up and drives the teeth out of the back of their skull either.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

I should try that.

188. joeybarrie says:

You can’t say the goals the Bruins scored were not because of Defensive errors. HOWEVER, Price has to be stopping those when they arise in order for us to win alot of games. He needs to play GREAT. Because he is a GREAT goalie. But since it is a preseason game. And the FIRST real game in about 6 months i am not too worried. Also to give us some perspective.

Niittymaki let in 4 goals on 12 shots last night.

Backstrom let in 5 goals on 18 shots last night.

Osgood let in 5 goals in 40 minutes last night (27 shots)

Halak let in 3 goals on 18 shots Tuesday

Cam Ward let in 3 goals on 20 shots Tuesday.

ALOT of these goals were scored by AHL players. Not guys making over 4 million a season like Bergeron and Horton.

All Im saying is lets not jump off the bridge just yet… Why don’t we relax and realize that MAYBE the first Pre-season game for a players that haven’t played in 5 months might be a little misleading.

LASTLY……… I guess no one remembers The Bruins beating us 8-3 in the Pre-Season opener in 2008 with HALAK in goals… Bergeron had 3 points. Probably ALSO don’t remember Halak letting in the first 2 goals on the first two shots against Pitts in Pre-Season the year before… But for some reason when its PRICE, everyone goes crazy.

We need to relax. Pre-Season means NOTHING. Complain if he does the same in the regular season when we have our WHOLE team playing, when the games COUNT.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

189. Chris1138 says:

You win. That was a great post. I don’t put much stock into preseason games, but those stats really show that the first game of the preseason is especially misleading. A lot of players don’t play much hockey in the offseason and they have to shake the rust off. It’s all about ramping up to regular season quality hockey. That’s why they start with intra-squad scrimmages and then the preseason and then the regular season.

Chris

190. DCos says:

Post of the day! It won’t stop the over-emotional, incapable of reason and logic Price bashers from posting their nonsensical drivel, but it sure will bring a smile to all level headed fans. Again..great post. Thanks!

———————————————————————— Whining, sniveling, complaining, negative “fans” annoy me. BG, PG and CP bashers….take a hike!

191. SeriousFan09 says:

What the hell, perspective? Get outta here…

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

192. Captain aHab says:

I’m thinking media must be really worried that Price might actually turn things around because they will lose the golden controversy goose. I blame him directly for one goal last night and yet it was a “lacklustre” performance. So I’m guessing he’ll have to stop everything to not get roasted in the media.

193. cautiousoptimist says:

You know what I’d like?  I’d like to see the team pick out some of the worst boobird offenders from the crowd, and then send the entire 23-man roster to their workplaces the next day to stand over their little cubicles and boo them at the tops of their lungs.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  194. adam76 says:

I would love it – but only if I made the exact same salery as the NHL players booing me.

195. gloveside says:

If the entire 23 man roster was paying $150 / seat to come to my work and watch me and I was being paid $3 million a year to have them come and watch me, I would welcome it.

Price could sit his ass next to me all day and watch how a professional works.

197. madcap_habsfan says:

thats an awesome idea

198. Storm Man says:

Are you sure any of them have a job?

199. RJB says:

Thanks for posting! I love the line calling out the fans who boo Price as “the same mensa members who boo national anthems…” classic!

– Bilbo Baggins

200. Chuck says:

That was a good read!

201. Bleu blanc rouge says:

Here here!

202. K-hab25 says:

You aren’t doing the same job. It would be hard though for 23 guys to fit into those little troll holes you work in.

203. cautiousoptimist says:

So the value of your dignity is inversely proportional to the amount of money you make?  Or is your logic that, if you boo a kid who’s so young that he couldn’t buy 6/49 tickets a couple of years ago, he’s likely to stop more pucks?

It’s pretty simple: being a jerk isn’t okay, whether the recipient of your jerkiness is a millionaire or a beggar on the street.  And a lot of Habs fans, unfortunately, are grade-A premium jerks whose actions are governed more by knee-jerk displeasure than by rational thought or concern for the team’s success.  Sure it’s fun to join a booing mob.  but how does that help anything?

And the argument that Montreal fans have always booed lousy performances is irrelevant — just because people have always done crappy things, doesn’t make it alright.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  204. adam76 says:

[quote]So the value of your dignity is inversely proportional to the amount of money you make? [/quote]

and the hotness of your wife/gf

Never said booing helps – however, bitching about its existance (ESPECIALLY in Montreal) is a foolish and a waste of time.

205. adam76 says:

Jokes on you – I’m unemployed!

oh wait

206. DCos says:

Right on man! Agree 100%. I hate the entitled “well I paid for the tickets, I can boo if I want to” mentality. I mean, sure you can do what you want. That’s true in all aspects of life. You can walk around all day being a giant, ignorant douche-bag to everyone you meet. You are entitled to be that way if you wish. But it doesn’t make it right. And make no mistake….booing your team or specific players on your team is a giagantic, idiotic, douche-baggy thing to do.

207. SmartDog says:

Carey, work on your glove dude!

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

208. adam76 says:

I think time with a sports psychologist would be a good place to start.

209. ZepFan2 says:

You don’t need a “sports” psychologist.

Any good psychologist should help you with your problems.

————————————————————————

– Steven Tyler

210. GrimJim says:

Actually that’s a great idea, not just for Price but as an option for the whole team. Sports psychologists work, that’s why every Olympic team has one on staff. No one is under more pressure to perform than an Olympian because they only get one chance every four years. Why wouldn’t a “mental development coach” help for pro athletes? Why not give the team every legal opportunity to improve?

211. adam76 says:

I wouldn’t know – the voices in my head won;t allow me to call one.

212. Wops says:

This is what Carey Price should do this afternoon:

213. Kooch7800 says:

great movie

I think I was right when I said that both Price and Halak shoud’ve been traded. Price just doesn’t react well. He doesn’t exude confidence.

He sould’ve been there for the press afterwards and told everybody to “f— themselves” and then he should’ve said that he would work harder. Does he have a will?

The team needs to accept that he was awful last night and stop coddling him. He should never have been handed the number 1 role either not then and not now. If he can’t earn his starts he doesn’t deserve them.

215. CERF says:

am i blind or do i see the F word !!!!!

216. ZepFan2 says:

All together now.

Deep breath…ohmohmit’s just preseasonit’s just preseasonohmohm

————————————————————————-

– Steven Tyler

217. K-hab25 says:

Hey Mr. off-season patient fan, is back to being HH, the resident bandwagon troll. Nice to have the real HH back, not the fake a** one of the last couple of months. When’s the tank coming back, “Hab fan.”

218. observer says:

Re: “think I was right when I said that both Price and Halak shoud’ve been traded” —- I don’t think it was what to do, but you will end up being correct because Price may not last much longer here with that kind of play. I believe Habs had a winning combo and” if it works don’t fix it”. Halak never should have been traded. If it gets to the point that they are forced to trade Price after even more poor play Habs will get little in return BUT it will be the end of Gauthier/Gainey running the team because they are tied to Price’s success or failure(at least that would be a huge addition by subtraction).

219. Caballero says:

Price is practicing with the team that will face Ottawa. I think he should be thrown right back into it.

220. Greg says:

I think you’re right. He’d do well to rebound right away. Like Maverick in Top Gun after Goose dies, “keep sending him up”.

“I lined up next to him at a faceoff, looked over and said “Hi Rocket”. All he did was growl.”

-Gordie Howe

221. Mike Boone says:

Not any more you don’t.

222. CERF says:

way to spoil the party

223. PeterStone says:

i went to a pre-season game a few years ago, it was the first pre-season game of the year.  Fans we’re were all over Rivet at that point because, well, who knows.  My comment to the folks behind me then, and my comment here today , game 1 of the pre-season, chill out.

It is preseason, never mind about Price, he will be there when the season starts. I was mostly looking at the kids to see which one or three of them have a great shot down the road of making this team. I am also more interested in the new acquisitions to see which one of them we can count on to carry some mail this year.

We all know how Plekanec and Cammilleri can play, they showed us again last night what we can expect from them, with a slick goal last night.

No this is the time of year to evaluate how the new faces fit onto the club. It was pretty poor hockey by both teams, and so it should be, this is only preseason. It wasn’t to many years ago that preseason was not even covered by the media other than a few lines or so.

Do you really think that everyone’s timing and play should be the sames as mid season. It is only time to work at getting yourself into game shape, and time for the coaches to experiment with the different players.

There were hundreds of mistakes made last night by all players on both teams that over the next week or two will slowly disappear. So for the people that just want to criticize, you are very disrespectful and do not even understand what this game is all about.

225. nunacanadien says:

Let’s hope Price improves his win record at least, this slump which began almost two years ago now with the injury is pathetic.  Time to get out of this slump Carey, it cost us Halak, earn this.

226. Yeats says:

I don’t know Ian. I’m really, really concerned about the Maple Leafs winning!

227. habs03 says:

The team looked really good last night, they outplayed Boston in every single way, expect Rask was really good, and Price has some work to do, no need to panic, in preseason it is better to be the better team that lost then win the game and played like crap. Maxwell was really good but he was playing other prospects. Tinordi and Leblanc also looked good but both need 2-3 years on juniors/AHL, Weber is really good on the PP but his size kills him on D, I think with Subban, Weber is going to have an NHL career elsewhere. Palushaj looked really good,still needs to bulk up IMO, but a 3rd line for next year made up of Max Pac-Eller-Palushaj and a 4th line of Moen-Boyd-Schultz would be amazing. Other then that the team played really well. I hear the word “confidence” thrown around in many interviews and so forth, its weird but something mental liked that changes the whole dynamic of how a player plays. Thats the difference with playing somewhere in Montreal as opposed to Tampa for example.

228. matraque says:

I’m all about playing Price in ALL pre-season game.  Let’s stop protecting him.  He’s a man.  Enough with all the excuses.

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

229. RGM says:

He did say he wanted all 82 plus the pre-season games. :)

230. Rob says:

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

231. showey47 says:

I suggest you use that as your sig. before someone else steals it.

232. jbroderi says:

everyone is freaking out, big deal!!  luongo, although he made some saves, let in 2 weak ones, and halak wasn’t great either!

Price let in two breakaways, a screened laser from the point, and a puck that changed direction off spacek’s stick.  Could he have made a save or two on them??  yes, of course, but I’ve seen him let in a ot worse, so lets give him some slack for last night.  He only deserves glory when he earns it, but every game he doesn’t play wonderful, we can give him a little slack.  remember, halak got pulled last year in the play-offs three times, so come on!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

233. Geoff F says:

Carey price is the #1 Goalie.   He should/will be back on the ice, it’s his job and that’s what he’s paid to do.  not sure why he wouldn’t be in goal.