Habs sticking to goaltending plan

Colleagues at the Bell Sports Complex report on Twitter this morning that the Canadiens will stick to their goaltending scheme for the preseason, i.e., Carey Price will not be in goal tomorrow when the Ottawa Senators visit the Bell Centre.

Price is skating with Team B in Brossard this morning, leaving some to think that he’d be thrown right back into battle after last night’s lacklustre performance against the Boston Bruins.

Pat Hickey will check in later with details as the Habs prepare for a four-game, four-night stretch.

1. adam76 says:

Outstanding – I;’ll call Gorbachev and let him know the Communist Party is back!

Play bad, Montreal fans boo.  Like it or not, its a fact that will never change.

2. saskhabfan says:

Its like a redneck murder scene,they all have the same DNA with no dental records.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

3. Chorske says:

Oh sure, the fans would grumble over a bad call, or too much cycling of the puck, or bad giveaways. But then it would be done, over with, one shift later and the fans would be refocused on the game.

What happens today is something new to me- the systematic bullying of a single player, braying at his every move, waiting like vultures for the first sign of weakness or mistake to start hooting like jerks. It’s not just the booing, it’s the sarcastic cheering, which brings the whole thing down to the level of a circus of hooligans. It seems that every year, one player gets targeted to be run out of town, and no holds are barred. This year, they’ve chosen Price.

It is classless and base. And it’s chickenshit, because you know none of those boobirds would say boo to Price’s face, one on one. No, they’d rather hide in the bleachers or on HIO and cry like babies- anonymously.

4. nunacanadien says:

Didn’t Price have all last year to practice also?  And Halak played when necessary, in fact almost all year.

5. Storm Man says:

Best you don’t go to any live games Adam.

6. derfab says:

I agree that Price has been given a hard time and that it will not get easier, until the Habs are successful. Then he will be the sexiest guy in town.

The only reason Montreal fans are any “better” (or worse) than any other slobs in the sporting universe is that they continue to follow their team and show up to every game, just like those other idiots in Toronto or Green Bay or Liverpool…

24 cups makes the team better. The fans are not special, just a little retarded.

7. Storm Man says:

the 2000 0r so donkeys at the Bell centre need to be locked up so they can rethink who they are in life.

8. Chuck says:

The problem isn’t fans that boo. The problem is fans that don’t even know why they’re booing. It’s a herd mentality.

I don’t see a problem with booing a bad call or a bad play, but booing a player just for the sake of it seems really counter-productive.

9. adam76 says:

I disagree.  They booed in every era.

10. Sheldon says:

Find your sense of humour. It’s a very long season.

11. Mark C says:

If that is true, then it is high time to change that culture, unless it can be proven that booing improves player and team performance. I don’t know about you, or any of the boo birds, but I for one, really only care about seeing the Montreal Canadiens win another Cup. Even if booing were only to negatively affect the chances of winning a Cup by 0.1%, then it is time to do away with any and all hindrances to Montreal’s Cup chances.

12. Sheldon says:

Inglewood Jack!!!

13. Chuck says:

single-handedly

14. adam76 says:

So lock up fans that boo?  In Soviet Russia,,,,,

15. Say Ash says:

Can everybody stop going full retard and discuss some other question marks? How about Pouliot? I thought he looked great out there, playing with some conviction, even throwing the body around.

16. SmartDog says:

I don’t like to fool around with optimism but I have to say I think our prospect pool looks pretty darned AWESOME!

Pelushaj impressed me last night and has impressed me just as much in his interviews.  So much of the game is mental and this kid seems to have a bit of PK in him…. upbeat, feet on the ground smarts.

Tinordi played well for a freakin’ 18-year old. Couldn’t ask much more from the kid – if he improves look out.

Leblanc looked good too… and then there’s Eller, MaxPac and all the other guys we’ve been developing.

If we could only get rid of Gomez, our future could be bright!  LOL

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

17. HFX-HabFan says:

Being spoiled by some ridiculously great teams in the past leads to a pompous sense of self-entitlement, and if the babies don’t get what they want, they cry.

18. adam76 says:

So Roy single handily won two Stanley cups?

19. Laramy87 says:

Sanford was not nearly as challenged as much as Price was last nite either. We cannot really praise his efforts. He made 6 saves on 6 shots. One of which was a slap shot from the point with NO TRAFFIC. He didn’t face 6 men screeing him and a shot from the point nor did he face two breakaways from an elite player in the league like Bergeron.  The bashing of Price after one is game it totally not warranted.

What really sucks tho is becuase this is Montreal, this is going to set a precendent. Next game Price plays, the second he lefts in goal (first goal of the game even worse) fans are going to be all over again, with the whole “here we go again” mentality. This is totally not fair, they are given up before giving a chance this year.

Pathetic “habs fans” is all these ppl are. Show faith in your team and goalie.

20. saskhabfan says:

The sad part is by rebuilding it will probably mean going back to late 90’s when the only ufa’s we could were the one’s who were over the hill and had to heavily overy pay for. Back when players like peter bondra and others refused to be traded to montreal and guys like recchi couldn’t wait to get out.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

21. Chuck says:

Jersey a few of the drunken ingrates up in the blues, and they’ll finally start to get the message!

22. SmartDog says:

I think what happened is we outshot the other team and Price was in shock.

BTW, Tinordi did a good job out there!

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

23. adam76 says:

For all of you complaining about the boo birds – you have to understand that booing is part of the teams culture.  Montreal fans boo (slow on the powerplay as an example) everything.  Has been like that for 101 years.

Only way to reverse the booing is to win.

Complaining about Montreeal fans booing is like being upset that water is “wet”.

24. RGM says:

I would suggest that folks like the individual you’re responding to aren’t part of the gene pool and procreating. If anything, he should be working on his homework and making sure he’s not sprouting too many pimples from all the Mountain Dew.

25. SeriousFan09 says:

A standin’ O for Mike G! Comment of the month.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

26. SmartDog says:

We’ll take it easy on you this time since it’s just pre-season.

But be warned, you have a week to work the kinks out.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

27. mike g says:

We publicly made fun of, and insulted, the best goaltender of all-time.

Now that’s what I call class….

Keep it up, I hope you like rebuilding.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

28. andrewberkshire says:

Definitely, and if Price needs extra time to work on his game, Auld can play only when necessary.

29. HabsTrueBlue says:

umm perhaps because nobody really cares who Sanford is skating with?

30. mtlhbsfn says:

trust me, I really wanted to – as I stated in an earlier post in a different thread – I was embarrassed …

31. SmartDog says:

I hear he didn’t make the cut at the rodeo.

I would guess he’s a better hockey player. 🙂

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

32. Sheldon says:

This team needs to get truculent with the fans, end of story!

33. Dave Stubbs says:

Different, fresher stuff surely coming from today’s practice from Hickey, and likewise from me from tomorrow’s game vs. Ottawa. Every hockey story in Montreal has a short shelf-life.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

34. ooder says:

so Price had a not so great game… oh maaaaaaaaa gaaaaaaawd

the sky is falling.

i didn’t see the game but 16 shots to 38 for us??

i am assuming the habs played well.. which is a good sign.

Price will get into game shape and shut his critics up..hopefully

——————

88 is the new 23

35. mike g says:

I’m sorry, did you feel targeted in my post?

Yea, I thaught so. And incase you’re wondering, I’m not going to waste my time asnwering to people like you anymore.

Maybe you should learn how to use your energy properly. I’m sure you have kids or more important things to worry about than coming here and wasting that energy complaining.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

36. Sheldon says:

Yep! All you need are a few “shifts of fury” where you pot three in three
    minutes and you are right back in it. It has also been my experience
    that if you go down double digits in the first half hour, you probably won’t come back. That’s when with one minute to go you invoke the “next goal wins option!”

37. HabsTrueBlue says:

Yes it’s 100% Gainey’s fault because every promising prospect that plays in the AHL goes on to become a major NHL star. Gawd when will people on HIO stop harping on about Gainey!

38. Habsone says:

Come on Price!  Put this game behind you and play like you can!  Pretend you’re at a rodeo!

Why not tell us who Sandford is skating with??? also.

Bill H–your right. I have had enough of it for sure. Not much mention about kids and new faces in town.

41. MTLForever says:

It’s preseason….get over it. He let in one softy last night. This is where we should be watching our young guys who are fighting for a spot and trying to prove that they should be up in the NHL. Price is our goalie and I’m staying by him. What Halak did was great, but he’s not here anymore. Players come and go. He didn’t have the best showing in his St. Louis debut. You can’t win every game, that’s just not realistic in hockey and we all know it. Habs fans are the best and the worst. Take the 4-2 loss, and move on to the next PRESEASON game.

42. Chuck says:

I couldn’t agree more. The goaltending tandem this year is set with Price/Auld, so giving minutes to their AHL goalies should be way down the ladder of priorities.

43. G-Man says:

Give me a break. Long-winded and filled with the same tripe about the “long run.” In the long run, goalies that don’t perform in the NHL stay in the minors until they are ready. Price has regressed- we have all been witness to it. Annointing him the #1 after last season was a horrendous management decision and the fans will let them know if Price fails to win more than he loses. Last night did not count as anything but a practice game. It doesn’t matter if Price doesn’t stop a puck in the pre-season because of his position as #1. It will only count when the season starts.

Blaming fans for a player’s performance is another in the long line of excuses I keep reading here at HIO.

Stick up for him all you want; I want to see a good goalie help the team win- I don’t care if he’s big or small, as long as he stops the effing puck.

44. rated_R says:

get over it…if you didn’t know he’s wearing a habs jersey…support the dude

MIKE G, good post! I think he will make it here though, as soon as he continues to do exactly what he did last night. Play his game, get dressed and leave. The media is most of the problem here in Mtl. Trouble is he does not know who the bad apples are in the press core.

46. soperman says:

Well said, Mike G.  It is the PRE-SEASON people.  Let’s keep things in perspective.

_________________________________________________________________

“You want to keep weening de Coupe? Then sign zee great Pew-sie!”

47. andrewberkshire says:

For those saying Price shouldn’t have started, you couldn’t be more wrong. He NEEDED to be thrown right into the fire, and he should be thrown right back in for a full 60 mins the next game. Let him work it off now while the games don’t matter.

48. rated_R says:

PLZZZ people if your at the game and you see “fans” booing our own players punch em in the f’in face…

49. habs bandwagon fan says:

up to the challenge? 4 goals on 9 shots. yup!

maturity? yup. refusing to stick around and talk to the media. yup yup yup the thoroughbred is ready.

50. Chuck says:

“…but it shows on the ice how they do not trust him in goal.”

Really? How so? If they didn’t trust him, they certainly wouldn’t let him handle the puck as much as he does.

Last night was an example of the Habs as a whole getting off to a rocky start, and Carey took the brunt of it. After they got their legs, Sanford played in front of what looked like an entirely different team. If the goaltending duties had been reversed, we’d be taking about wow quiet of a night Carey had and how Sanford is nothing but an AHL goalie.

51. Bill H says:

With all due respect Mr. Stubbs, and no small measure of admiration for the excellent job you do, can we move on and look at something of consequence?  To continue with your rodeo analogy, I don’t think they are allowed to flog a dead horse at the Calgary Stampede.  How about some news about some of our rookies?  I know people are passionate about Price one way or the other, and that generates hits on HI/O, but I also see a lot of posters who are tired of Price issue.  Please give us something else to discuss.

52. RGM says:

Well put. Well put indeed. From one fan to another.

53. SmartDog says:

FIRST GAME in five months, time for a WEE RANT!!!!

…. I am GLAD Price had a SUCKY outing. Get it freakin’ overwith!  Everybody, let’s trash our goalie!  Hey, we ordered a PERFECT goalie!  This one let’s in goals! Give the guy a break.  These pre-season games are about being tested and learning.  Nothing more.  Why is no-one crapping all over Spacek for his bone-headed play?  Because it’s the pre-season, where bone-headed plays belong.

…. But… as tired as I am of people being so ready to crap on Price, I am even MORE tired of this TOTAL BS about the “team in front of him let him down”.  For Firetruck SAKES!! OTHER players make mistakes too. One of the jobs of a goalie is to bail out his team when they give up a break-away or otherwise mess up.  Price let in 4 goals on 10 shots. If he’s going to be a #1 he needs to pull some pucks out of the fire.  His teammates need to screw up and he needs to bail them out.  Sometimes he needs to stop pucks he doesn’t even see.  That’s what the BEST GOALIES IN THE WORLD DO!  That’s why they sign contracts making more money by the time they are 25 than their moms and dads made together in the 20 years of devotion it took them to put the kid there. Anyway, Price needs to sort his game out and he has the time to do it.  Nuff said.

….MUCH MORE INTERESTING last night was the easy play of my man Pleks, who looked dangerous on every shift.  He just seemed to be having fun – and driving the Boston D crazy. Aaron Pelushaj was also somethign to watch.  If this kid keeps it up, watch for AK46 to be shipped out to anyone who’ll pick up his contract.  And as much as I WAS a fan of AK, I wouldn’t be sad to see him go.  I just don’t see him finding the consistancy he needs.  And another thing I like about Pelushaj is the kid is SMART and has his feet on the ground.  In interviews he is composed, clear on where he is and on what’s happening around him. It’s that same prescence that shows on the ice.  I hope he keeps it up.

….AND ANOTHER THING… damn! I’m out of time.  More rants later!

SD

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

54. rated_R says:

give this guy a standing ovation…well said…i wish more of our “fans” were like you!

55. petefleet says:

A lot of posters are say ing it’s no big deal that Price sucked.  A lot of them are pointing to proven goalies who havee also lost in the preseason as some kind of defence of that.  THe difference is that Price has not played well for 2 years and out of that he is handed the #1 goalie job.  It is vitally importrant that Price wins whether it’s preseason or mid season.  Ultimately the whole team will either prosper or suffer on his performances.  There are no excuses.  All the talk of how mature he is this year and how he’s ready for the big time is not worth the paper it’s printed on.  Price has  got to win hockey games.  He has to make the big saves.  He may have to make incredible saves game in game out for 40 games this year until the team begins to believe in him.  Honestly, I don’t know how they can believe in him right now because he obviously doesn’t believe in himself, despite what managemant is saying.  None of the players will ever say it, but it shows on the ice how they do not trust him in goal.  I believe he has mountains of swagger but very little confidence.

PS: It’s all Bob Gainey’s fault.  Carbo wanted him to stay in Hamilton.  The rest is history.

Go Habs Go

56. VintageFan says:

Montreal used to have the best fans in the world.  But that was back when they were both passionate and knowlegeable.  Now they are just passionate

57. HFX-HabFan says:

Well said.  Thanks for taking the time to write it all out.

I blame a pompous, self-righteous, sense of entitlement from bleeding heart drama queen fans (I’d go out on a limb to suggest that the majority of these are French because French people like being dramatic), and of course a fishbowl media that chooses to make stupid examples out of non-stories to fuel their fires.

58. Chuck says:

Sounds like you’re speaking from experience.  😉

59. mike g says:

Dear Carey Price,

Here in Montreal, we love to call ourselves the best fans in the world. I think that, like very statement, is true to a certain extent. Just like in every other field in the world, you have some good apples mixed with the ones that poison Adam and Eve.

But yesterday, it was time to pick the apples and find out which ones were good enough to send to the stores and which ones were destined for the bottom of the barrel. It’s something that’s done every year at exactly this time. Now if you actually think I’m talking about apples, I’m not.

I’m talking about the supposed “fans” of the Montreal Canadiens. You know, that team that’s talked about so much, and often carries the label of the most storied franchise in all of hockey? Yeah, that team. The one you play for, and the one that will end up losing you in a few years. Anyways, well get to that later…

These “fans” I’m speaking of, showed their true colors once again last night. They showed the hockey world that they know absolutely nothing about hockey. And I’m not speaking about all the fans, but I’m taking about the majority of them. The ones who booed last night, and who boo more often than a ghost on Halloween. These are the people who call themselves “fans”. These are the same people who paint names of our players on stop signs after they helped us win 1 playoff round. These are the same people who chanted your name in game 3 of last years playoffs vs Washington when Jaro was pulled and it was 4-0 in the second period, and our team was going to be down 2-1 in the series. And, these are also the same people who have a telescope on you at all times. Is this fair, no. Should it be happening, no. Will it last, no.

One day, and it will be pretty soon, you will be playing for another team. That’s not because you’re not up for the challenge, because if you weren’t you wouldn’t be back this year. You would’ve taken all the garbage that the “fans” threw at you, and thrown it back at them. But instead, you stayed calm and decided it would be better to make these people proud in the long run. Well, it ain’t gonna happen, because the “fans” don’t understand what the term “long run” means. They probably associate it with someone who is running for a long period of time. What this all means is that no matter what you do in your stay as our goaltender, nothing will ever be good enough. You could’ve made 50 saves last night, and then let in a softie with 10 seconds to go, win the game 10-1, and the “fans” still would not have been happy.

This is because, you’re facing a bunch of people with loaded guns. And these guns don’t have one bullet, the barrel is full and they have bags full of ammo. The Halak trade is ammo. Your win of the Calder Cup, World Juniors, and great rookie season are ammo. The media is a bunch of bullets, and so are a whole bunch of other things. You see, no matter what positives rise on a given night, there will always be more negatives. This is how Montreal has become, and there’s nothing that can be done to change it. The wolves are starving for a steak, and they’ll eat every single thing in their way that can possibly become this steak.

It’s impossible to become a good player here when expectations are set high in this city. Guys like Pleks became who they are, because when they arrived they weren’t told to us that they’d get 70 points one day. We had zero expectations, and let him grow into the player he became. When Josh Georges arrived, nobody expected anything from him, and now he’s considered to be one of our best leaders. You see, if guys like that were sold to us like a future 1st line centerman, and a possible captain, they wouldn’t have become that in Montreal. Because when players arrive here, the “fans” automatically set a bar for them. Those who we expect nothing from, become good players because we let them be themselves. But those like you, and many others, who’m we set an impossible standard to reach when rookies, will always fail because it’s impossible for you guys to fulfill those roles.

And that’s Montreal, my friend. That’s why when we had the best goaltender in the world, we chased him out of town after he won us 2 Stanley Cups by himself. That’s why a coach like Jacques Lemaire said no thank you to Montreal last year, because he knows that he won’t be able to do his job without being asked why he lives in the southern part of town and not across the street from the Bell Center. And that’s why you will not last here, because you were never given a fair chance. When you arrived, you had Huet breathing right behind you. Then it was Halak. And now, it’s the “fans”.

And that’s not fair. The “fans” have ruined any possible chance you have of succeeding in this city. Anytime players on a team have to begg the “fans” to stop booing their teammate, there’s a serious problem. Booing happens at all levels, but it’s usually shrugged off. But in this city, it has reached such an insane point that professional players have to ask people to stop doing this in their interviews. If you ask me, that’s an insult to a fanbase.

So, as I continue to support you and your efforts in this city, I personally hope you can move on to another team in order to succeed. I’m positive their fans will embrace you, and let you become who you will become. They’ll enjoy the ups and downs, because they know that in the “long run” you will win the race. And once that happens, people back here in Montreal will do what they always do; complain.

And that’s Montreal, my friend Carey. That’s what it’s become.

From,

a Fan.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

60. Sheldon says:

Going mental about a pre-season house league game is right up there with going down seven goals in the first five minutes of pickup hockey and going home with 85 minutes of ice time left.

61. SBAH says:

They cant keep price on the bench, play him, play him and play him some more, if he can keep up with the other thorougbreds its going to be a good race. If he can’t keep up off to the glue factory.

62. HabsFanNorway says:

Anyone know if RDS will re-open their streaming of Canadiens games this year? I tried Center Ice last year but got tired of american broadcasts. RDS had a great product 2 years ago!

Everyone from Sweden, Finland (swedish speaking), Norway, Denmark: Join the Facebook group “Montreal Canadiens Fan Club Scandinavia”!

63. Olay Olay Olay says:

Tough night for Price, not so much because of his play but because if D-men let him down once again. Out of the 4 against him I would say the first was the only bad goal. What kills me is to watch a veteran like Spacek making brain dead rookie plays that result in goals and then Price paying for it.

I was never a big fan of Price but let’s call a spade a spade. Like it or not, he’s the #1 goalie for the Canadians so we may as well back him up.

Shout out to the booers. If you don’t like it, do everyone a favor and stay the f*** home.

64. lavie says:

I don’t disagree with you that it’s coach’s job, but if I look back at how Gauthier let proved-No.1-goalie Halak go and MADE Price the No. 1 goalie, I believe Gauthier-Martin should have some strategies on playing Price.

65. Habsrule1 says:

interesting opinion. at least you’re honest.

I just hope you can cheer for the goalie along with the team we have now. I was pissed when roy got traded, but not for a minute did I wish for the Habs to do badly, or the new goalie, for that matter. the Habs were always my team, regardless of who played for them and who no longer did.

i actually see the opposite. From what i have seen, bigger goalies generally have more success. Halak is too small to be consistent in the NHL. He is also not physical at all. Granted, there have been exceptions, but I think Halak will have a tough go of it. Price is big & strong and not afraid to push back. beyond that, we have seen his quickness and rebound control. I think his only problem was his maturity, and from all indications, he has really been working on that, as well as his effort level.

Price is here for at least 2 years. you have my personal guarantee, and that’s like GOLD. 😉

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

66. saskhabfan says:

Its an old poster just using another of a long line of user names.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

67. nunacanadien says:

Anyone know when Price will finally be ready to play in Montreal?  Any Price fans know?  Is this the year, or is it in five years, when will we see Price win?  So what are we supposed to do in the meantime?  I know it was one replay and the preseason, but eerily it looked the same as last year, with the team not supporting Price.

68. TheDagger says:

How did the Habs get eliminated from the playoffs last night?

69. RGM says:

I wasn’t aware that general managers made game-day decisions. I always thought that was the coach’s job.

70. RGM says:

Your username says it all, ye member of a whopping 13 hours.

71. Habsrule1 says:

The Habs should go about pre-season like they normally would. Price does not need to play the next game. He does have to be ready when he plays though, and I think he will be.

Spacek has been around a long time, but had a very rough game. I’m counting on him getting better before the season starts as well.

Then again, maybe Tinordi and Sanford will be starting in Spacek and Price’s places.

72. habs bandwagon fan says:

I’m not going to mince words. I don’t like Price. I loved Halak.

Price will never be a great goaltender. why? he lacks maturity, composure, unable to make the big save when needed, and he just can’t win.

You may not agree with me, and I hope the kid proves me wrong, but I just don’t see him getting the job done.

How many chances are we going to give him, before PG realizes stubbornly, Price is not the man for the job.

He will be gone by year’s end or before.  just the way I think it will be played out.

73. lavie says:

Price’s controversy just started way TOO EARLY! (maybe that was the just the continuity of last season)

Pierre Gauthier should not have started his franchise goalie for the first pre-season game.