Habs stand pat for Ottawa game

habs-web-art

There will be no changes in the Canadiens’ lineup for tonight’s game against the Senators at Scotiabank Place.

Rene Bourque, who missed Saturdays 3-0 win over the Rangers because of the flu, did not accompany the team to the nation’s capital and coach Michel Therrien said he wasn’t sure whether Bourque would join the team for Wednesday’s game in Toronto.

The Canadiens are currently in first place in the Eastern Conference and have two points and a game in hand on the Senators. Ottawa has the best home record in the East at 8-1-2 despite the loss of their top forward (Jason Spezza), their top defenceman (Norris Trophy winner Erik Karlsson) and No. 1 goaltender Craig Anderson. Ben Bishop, who was named the No. 3 star in the NHL last week, will start for the Senators tonight.

Defenceman Francis Bouillon will play his 500th game as a Canadien.

1. krulmadden says:

I’m scared to watch this one. Ottawa was missing players on Saturday when it played Toronto and they won. The Sens kids are dominating and Alfie and the other vets are more than willing to feed them the puck.

That said, I see Therrien has not made any line changes from Saturday’s game. Each of our four lines has scoring touch, toughness and intelligence.

I can’t see a blowout for either team so I’m predicting a 2-1 SO win for Montreal. Subban scores in 3rd period and Desharnais gets the SO goal.

2. Bill says:

Wanna see a hockey player? Here’s some Jonathan Drouin. Scroll down for the vid! It’s sick.

Full Breezer 4 Life

3. Bill says:

How is Ottawa doing it?? I don’t even want to play these guys, they’re magical.

Full Breezer 4 Life

4. Morenz7 says:

I liked that thread below on which GMs were responsible for acquiring which players on the current roster. Nice to think that Gainey built a good team, rather than ruined one with the Gomez deal.

Sidenote: here in Toronto, there’s been grudging acknowledgment of Burke’s role in the Leafs’ newfound success. The current roster, right down to the suddenly infallible James van Riemsdyk, was put together on Burke’s watch (Grabovski a notable exception). The latest narrative has Nonis pulling the strings all along—I guess he’s their Timmins—but I don’t buy it.

Anyway, it got me thinking: one yardstick for newcomers like Bergevin and Nonis is to look at their ability to retain the right players, and to maximize those players’ performance. That means hiring good coaches, instilling a positive atmosphere, making expectations clear and handling personnel moves like a professional. Clearly, MB has excelled in these areas, where PG woefully failed.

And it’s probably a bigger part of the job than most fans appreciate, pre-occupied as we are with signings, draft picks, trades and buyouts.

• Kooch7800 says:

Leaf Fans also forget that if they would have fired Wilson a long time ago they might have found success sooner.

I was sad when they fired Wilson cause I could see how crappy of a coach he really was

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

YUP! Getting Carlyle to replace Wilson was perhaps the single best move they have made in a long time. Arguably their best coach since Pat Quinn. Whom by the way I think would have been or still could be a good choice to step in with the Sabres. He is excellent with veterans and that Sabres team looks too good on paper to be this bad.

Very good points Howie! I think in particular the additions of people like Mellanby etc.. to help working in player personnel is key in keeping communication with all the players. It is also key for a Dudley or others to be constantly scouting our drafted players and know which ones we must do our best to retain, like a Kristo.

5. Bripro says:

So the Halifax Mooseheads just won their 1st championship in 19 years.
    According to Stephane Leroux, it’s the 6th time in the last 8 years that a team out of Quebec has won it.

I always find it interesting what fans of other teams think of our players. By in large most of the Leaf fans I know, hate Carey Price. When I say hate, I mean they know how good he is, and they all are hopeful he will be healthy come Olympic time, as they believe he is Canada’s best goalie.

Cue the Leaf idiot jokes, but this is from the intelligent Leaf fans I know, ie. they drink with me. :)

7. habs001 says:

The Habs start has been way better than most people would have predicted…The main concern for me is the pk(16th) in the league and how the team will perform in physical games(so far many of the games have been very limited physically)..

8. Phil C says:

About concussion in general, we have a league that permits high-speed collisions and bare-knuckle fighting trying to operate in a world where the medical knowledge and protocol on concussions has changed. The league has simply not adapted to the new reality, although rule 48 was a nice start. I will be interesting to see what it will take for the league to do something.

It’s too bad all these injuries don’t cost the owners more. From what I understand, the extra salary for injury replacements comes out of the players share.

I mentioned below, it seems to me the league as a whole, has pretty much accepted a concussion as no different than a high ankle sprain. I would love to think our Habs treat this with more care and concern, but that would most likely be naive on my part.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Well, the only thing I can see to change this would be to:

1) Ban Speed
      2) Ban Body checking

Then you need to also change the name from hockey to ice soccer

Ok, joking aside. I have no idea how you would get rid of it. It is a product of speed and stopping abruptly. Eliminating head shots help, but any time you are moving that fast and there is a possibility of someone hitting you… well… you could sustain a concussion. I have thought a lot about it and I cant come with anything.

• Phil C says:

I think they could do a lot if they got rid of late hits, and the really big collisions.

Getting rid of late hits would require more skill, speed, and timing to be a good body-checker so you get rid of some useless hockey players and prevent a lot of injuries.

If there is a big collision because a player skated hard and hit somebody violently (causes injury), call it charging. I would keep big hits that are caused by the puck carriers speed like the Subban hit on Marchand. If you want to skate fast then you assume some risk.

Essentially if everyone bodychecked like Emelin, it would still be good hockey. Emelin hits hard and knocks people down, but the player usually gets up and keeps playing.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

The sport of hockey needs to adopt a complex set of rules regarding allowable angles of attack like polo ; )

9. Sportfan says:

So all these hockey people are saying the trade offers are starting to heat up in the league anyone care to share?

10. Chris says:

How in the heck am I supposed to answer if Carey Price should be Canada’s goalie in February 2014? Can we wait and see if he is injured, maintains his high level of play or is passed on the depth chart by some other goalie that is playing out of his mind?

These 2014 Olympic forecasts are a bit of a joke.

11. Bripro says:

For those who think that Cole doesn’t care, or doesn’t show up, or his heart isn’t into it (don’t go hiding…. you know who you are), take a look at this CH episode highlighting last week’s three games, and watch his reaction at the bench when Prust scores. That says it all.

12. kirbhabs says:

All this talk of being #1 is artificial, the Bruin’s, as much as I hate it are #1, 3 games in hand and 2 Pts back…. Which puts us at 4th at best given the stupid seeding system. We are solid this year but not #1

• Kooch7800 says:

I think most on here realize that this season is not a good judge of your actual team. The standings are whacky, injuries are crazy and with the crazy tight schedule fatigue plays a big role as well.

The habs are nowhere as good as #1 in the East and not as bad as 15th either.

Good way to tell, do you think we are a cup contender? Most #1 conference teams would be…my answer is no

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Bill says:

The Bruins are an excellent team, but it’s my suspicion that they peaked on that Cup run and have entered a decline. Too bad about that Kessel trade or it would be more obvious.

They’ve had an incredibly friendly schedule to start the year and that’s a major contributor to their success. Look for things to change when it gets real for them in March.

I think they finish 4th/5th and are out in the first round. Just one opinion.

Full Breezer 4 Life

13. Curtis O Habs says:

I don`t think I`ve seen a more lopsided poll.

• Say Ash says:

Let’s try: “Do you think we should bring back Scott Gomez?”

Hang on there was some guys here with 3 digit names that loved that guy, as they say Vote Often and Vote Early!

Funny enough the guys I am thinking of don’t seem to post as often when the Habs are winning…..Perhaps they hit their heads on the bridge when they woke up.

• Sportfan says:

Mainly cause a lot of people expect Price to be there

• 24 Cups says:

No one on this site can be objective in terms of this question.

Let’s assume that Fleury, Luongo, Price and Ward are the final four candidates. Fleury and Luongo can be stellar but they can also have a brain cramp at the worst possible moment. Ward runs a bit hot and cold as he can be erratic at times. All three have a Jekyll & Hyde aspect to their game.

Price is pretty cool under pressure and might be more consistent than the other three guys. He also would be coming into the tournament with the least amount of baggage. Or course other fans would say he has the least amount of experience.

I guess a lot will depend upon how the three chosen players are performing in the NHL next January. I think you have to figure that Price beats out Ward.

• Luke says:

I voted no for two reasons:

1) I was trying to bump the ‘no’ side up to (what i figured would be) 3 votes.
      2) I strongly anticipate that if Carey Price is not there, he’ll be tending to my stable of unicorns, washing my space shuttle and fetching me bourbon.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I don’t understand the joke.

Anyone?

Is because the NHL won’t go to the Olympics? Or do you feel Price is not good enough except in some magical land? Or did you take too many fun drugs this morning and neglected to share with me?

• bel33 says:

Pretty sure he just meant… NONE of those things he listed are every going to happen… just like there’s NO chance Carey’s not on the Olympic team in some capacity.

Stable of Unicorns… some Magical Budweiser Horse team? ;)
          Space Shuttle… do Prius owners give you dirty looks as they drive by your house? The mpg or L/100km must suck on that bad boy.

Edit: Fun drugs may have been involved in the crafting of the post.

14. Bripro says:

OK, for all who think they have it hard, here’s a tweet from Ted Bird.
    Note: This is not hockey related.

15. Bripro says:

So Malkin has been put on IR retroactive to Feb 22nd.
    His concussion is obviously serious. I saw his spill….nasty.
    I wonder if this means he’ll miss next Saturday’s match up.

• commandant says:

He’d be eligible to return on Saturday as IR is for 7 days minimum.

However he could be on IR for longer, knowing that its a concussion.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Habshire says:

As per TSN

‘Head coach Dan Bylsma had already confirmed on Sunday that the team would without Malkin for their three-game road trip this week.’

including Saturday’s game.

• bleedhabs81 says:

I don’t have a link, maybe from tsn, but I read he would not be available until after the Habs game (at the earliest)

• 24 Cups says:

The concussion count in the NHL as of today is at 14. Tarasenko also joined the list.

The Malkin injury was a very awkward looking play, didn’t appear to be a cheapshot to me. Apparently he suffered some short term memory loss so he’s going to have to sit out for awhile. Of course it is the Pens so who knows.

Do you get the feeling Steve, concussions have already become a routine word in the NHL, that they treat like like a high ankle sprain? It’s almost like the league would have been better off if Crosby couldn’t return in order to show severity.

• 24 Cups says:

I’ve given up hope that the NHL will do anything about the crisis that the game faces surrounding the vigilante mindset and concussed players.

Much like the NFL, it’s going to take a major lawsuit that can gain traction in the courts to bring about significant action on the part of the NHL and the NHLPA.

Until then, it’s just more BS about players finishing their checks and defenders turning into the hit. Just look at the HI/O thread from yesterday on MaxPac. Most Hab posters came to his defense when it was pretty evident (to me) that Pacioretty was getting payback on McDonagh. I guees two wrongs do make a right on hockey blogs.

• mark-ID says:

Bylsma confirmed that Malkin would not be accompaning the team at all this week on the road trip, including Saturday in MTL.

16. Mattyleg says:

Renaud Lavoie Tweets that Guillaume Latendresse is still a Senator; no reason to think otherwise.

Apart from the fact that he was seen leaving the Senatordome with his equipment.

I don’t buy that he can’t play because of concussions. His biggest injury was his groin and his hip because he constantly came to camp out of shape. I don’t have a lot of time for players who are paid that much money and can’t keep themselves fit.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

My boss knows him personally. He is concussed.

• Kooch7800 says:

Hey may have trouble getting a contract next year if this keeps up. He really has been injury riddled since leaving the habs.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Kooch7800 says:

Sorry Cal, Just seen your comments below that you think he is done player. If that is true that does suck as he has talent. It isn’t worth it playing more if the rest of your life is crap for a few more years of hockey. He has already made millions.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Cal says:

Gui is pretty much set up, but his passion is for the game. I always thought many here didn’t realize how much he loves the game.

• Chris says:

Cal, you could write that about 95% of fan opinions.

Most of it is just speculation passed off as informed opinion (and I’m no less guilty than anybody else).

I’ve never understood the venom towards Latendresse.

If that’s the case, pretty poor judgement on Macleans part to be tongue and cheek about his inability to play. Sounds like the team is doubting his claims of being concussed.

17. commandant says:

The fourth and final part of the February draft rankings.

Those honorable mentions just outside the first round (in alphabetical order)

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

18. habsfan0 says:

At some point Budaj will have to get another start.
    I hope it’s not Wednesday against the Leafs,but given that Price is 0-2 against them this year,I can see it happening.

• The Cat says:

Throughout his career, Wednesday has been Price’s worst day, so it might not be a bad idea.

• The Juice says:

Really? What is his best day?

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• GGtheHab says:

I say start Budaj in NYI and Fla..that will leave Price with 6 games in 16 nights, including Ott and Tor this week..and he hasnt really been overworked if you consider the SOG totals

So Erskine and Holtby get contract extensions in Washington, and Edmonton starts a 17 day road trip with the Brier Patch moving into the arena.

Hopefully they keep Bourque away while Ill, last thing this team needs is to have a serious flu bug rampage through the lineup. A few years ago, it was brutal.

• punkster says:

Yep, saw that.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Propwash says:

I shoulda mentioned I grabbed it from eotp.

____________________
        DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Google translation was kind of wonky,
        Questioned this, the coach coach Paul MacLean said that Latendresse “would perhaps take part in a league match of garage … “Nothing to stop the rumor mill! That supporters are reassured, Latendresse is still a Senator.

So he is saying Gui can go play pickup hockey?

• Gerry H says:

Come to think of it, our opponent in my Sunday morning league match-up yesterday had a new spare playing for them. Big guy with decent hands. Fortunately for us, he was a bit of a coaster…

• Cal says:

Don’t take this as gospel, but from what I hear Latendresse is done playing because of the concussions he’s sustained. He apparently is unable to train because of recurring headaches.
          Once his contract is done (when Ottawa finishes this season), he’ll retire.

• Bripro says:

It would appear that MaClean’s answer was tongue-in-cheek.
          Asked if GL would play, the coach responded that he was going searching for a garage league to play in.
          But the author assured the readers that he’s still a Sen.
          He didn’t explain how he arrived at this conclusion, or why the Tenderness wasn’t playing.

• Captain aHab says:

Think they’re on to the fact that he don’t work real hard?

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

I thought it might be interesting to look at Montreal’s present roster and see which GM was responsible for acquiring the individual players on the team. I realize that Gainey and Gauthier worked together as a tandem but I’m going strictly by their tenure as official GM of the Habs.

Pre Gainey – Markov (1998) and Plekanec (2001)

Gainey (May, 2003) – DD, Emelin, Gionta, Gorges, MaxPac, Moen, Price, Subban, Weber and White.

Gauthier ( Feb, 2010) – Bourque, Budaj, Cole, Diaz, Eller, Gallagher, Kaberle and Noke.

Bergevin (May, 2012) – Armstrong, Bouillon, Galchenyuk and Prust.

• Loonie says:

Yeah Gainey was just god awful. Who needs players like Desharnais, Emelin, Gionta, Gorges, Pacioretty, Price and Subban?

Cue the “All because of Timmins” posts.

• Captain aHab says:

Timmins Rulz, Gainey Droolz!

—————-
        Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I’ve always defended Gainey on H I/O. In fact even Gauthier was actually a lot less bad than people think. They got caught up in a bad situation in a crazy city.

The one Gainey decision I would like to redo is letting 13 or so players leave through free agency for nothing. In part this was because of the Centennial – and the team had to try to do well in the playoffs that year.

But imagine trading Koivu, Kovalev and Komisarek at the deadline. Each one of those gets you a #1 pick (at the time).

• Loonie says:

I actually give him a pass on letting those guys walk because he tried to retain two of the three.

The things that I don’t like were letting Hainsey go on waivers and the packages he gave up for Tanguay and Gomez as well as the return he got for Ribeiro.

But for all of the bad there was great like the Rivet deal, Kovalev deal and attracting UFAs.

People often forget how close he was to landing Marian Hossa as well. He lost that deal due to a shrewd move by Ray Shero, not due to incompetence on his part. People may question the attracting UFA comment but each player who signed with him reveres him and says so without being prompted.

• ont fan says:

Gainey may have let some pieces go to free agency but he used that money to get free agents. If the Habs are in the 7th or 8th spots at the deadline, are you going to trade Markov, Gionta or Cole? I know they aren’t free agents but the return may be very good this year and you may not get another chance. Hence, Gainey’s dilemma.

• habsnyc says:

He made a fortune for Gillet and I believe was given a nice bonus when the team was sold.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Cal says:

PG wasn’t awful either, but a poor fit in the modern world of incessant communication.

PG had little leadership or communication skills in my estimation, JM only added to the communication breakdowns.

• dorvalhabsfan says:

hear, hear! I have been devils advocate of Gauthier… As i was a fan of most of his moves when he made them, and i can still justify Kaberle for Spacek, and myself did not criticicze him for trading Cammalieri. at the time if the deal i was stoked, as i was a fan of bourque.. He flopped hard last season but has surprised me so much this season. and if Gauthier “Could Have” hired MT last season so raise a glass to PG And Gainey,..

Go Habs Go

• powdered toastmann says:

Raise a glass eh…hm…Lack of communication skills, some great moves, dealing with injuries (like any other team)…blah, blah, blah…end result in 2012…28th overall…yeah, they were great…good job..wish we still had’em…result, yeehaw…3rd overall pick. (don’t forget total failure to correct previous bonehead moves by same regime, recognize obvious deficiencies and address issues that seemed obvious to even the dullest of fans.) (meme je)

• Mattyleg says:

That’s pretty cool.
      Now how about the coaches?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Interesting, thanks for doing that Steve. I really look forward to seeing the Galchenyuk/Eller/Cole line tonight, or perhaps the ECG line which can kick start ones heart!

• habsnyc says:

What conclusions do you reach from this? Is it what you got, what it cost to get what you got, how you used what you got, what you could have got instead or what got away that matters?

I respect the results so far under Bergevin. But more so, under prior GM’s I fully expected an idiotic move on a regular basis, knowing that the roster would always have room for an over paid underachiever or that the team would gladly give up on a talented prospect. At this point, I see Bergevin as a responsible custodian of talent.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Habfan17 says:

The common thread is Timmens!

Habfan17

22. Captain aHab says:

This thread is brought to you by the letter H and the number 69.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

23. Captain aHab says:

I watched part of the Daytona 500 yesterday and realized how I had completely forgotten how hella-boring it was. That was like watching a high-speed funeral procession.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

24. H.Upmann says:

12345678910
    eleven
    twelve

25. Captain aHab says:

Third!

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

26. Captain aHab says:

Second!

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

27. Captain aHab says:

First!

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

We won’t have Bourque, Nokeleinen, Weber or Kaberle in our lineup, does this compare? :)

29. smiley says:

On a different note, I wonder if the Habs will fly into Toronto on Porter or perhaps hop on the bus west towards Toronto:)
    Probably only save about an hour by flying.

30. smiley says:

I’d take 5-3 or at worse 4-4. The good news is that NYI, T Bay, FLA and even Carolina are winnable games.

31. habsnyc says:

Montreal needs to average one point a game for the rest of the season to make the playoffs. If they just win against non playoff teams the rest of the way, they will be be OK. If they beat a few good teams, they will challenge for a top four spot.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

32. since1988 says:

I think I read on cbc or maybe metro or the Toronto Star (actually come to think of it I dont know where it was) but most team fly into Pearson for all sports (NBA and NHL) because there is a private terminal.

“I savour it every day, sometimes before practice I’m skating around and I’ll look at the logo on my jersey – I’m playing for the Canadiens!”
    – Mathieu Darche

33. smiley says:

Interesting. I flew home to Toronto from Ottawa 3 or 4 years ago (year of NHL draft in Ottawa) and Cliff Fletcher and two associates were on my flight. The thing with Porter is you fly right in to downtown Toronto airport and you are 5 minutes from downtown. The Red Wings often fly out of Windsor airport to the US.