Audio: Habs sign Subban to two-year deal

Subban_001web

Full Subban/Bergevin conference call (one minute or so of CTV interrupts call at about 14 minutes)

The Canadiens have signed defenceman P.K. Subban to a two-year deal putting to an end the contract saga that has hovered over the start of the team’s season. The team made the announcement Monday evening.

The first year of the deal is worth $2 million but will be prorated for the lockout-shortened season. Subban will collect $3.75 million for the 2013-14 season.

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin and Subban spoke to the media at 8 p.m. Monday on a conference call.

Negotiations between the team and Subban’s agent Don Meehan started last May and resumed once the National Hockey League lockout ended but hit a stalemate.

A subdued Subban praised Bergevin Monday night for his professionalism and said the general manager’s consistency led to a resolution of the dispute. He complimented his teammates on their strong start to the season and said he was anxious to get on the ice with a great player like Andrei Markov.

“I watched all the games on TV and to say it was dfifficult would be an understatement,” Subban said from his home in Toronto.

Subban said it was particularly tough on opening night when Hall of Famers Yvan Cournoyer, Henri Richard, Serge Savard and Jean Béliveau participated in the opening ceremony. He said it served as a reminder that the Canadiens are a family and he wanted to be part of it.

“I grew up as a Canadiens fans and you all know my father is a great fan and I’m anxious to get back on the ice with my teammates,” Subban said.

“I’m always ready to play,” added Subban, whose return to the lineup is in the hands of head coach Michel Therrien.

Said Therrien at Tuesday’s morning skate in Brossard: “I’m going to meet with P.K. tomorrow and talk with him then. We’re not sure yet exactly when he’ll play.”

Subban will join his teammates Wednesday in Ottawa and it wouldn’t be a surprise if he’s in uniform this weekend when the Canadiens play their annual Super Bowl weekend matinees Saturday against Buffalo and Sunday against Ottawa.

Subban, 23, led the Habs in ice time last season, averaging 24:18 per game. He also had the most points – 36 – of any Canadiens defencemen last season.

The Habs face the Winnipeg Jets Tuesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., RDS, TSN-HABS, TSN 690 Radio).

At Tuesday’s morning skate the lines were set up like this: Eller-Desharnais-Cole; Prust-Galchenyuk-Gallagher; Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta; Moen-White-Armstrong (Blunden out). The defence pairings were: Markov-Emelin; Gorges-Diaz; Kaberle-Bouillon. Weber will be a healthy scratch and Price will start in goal.

Subban signs two-year deal with Habs, by Pat Hickey

Kids staying “because they deserve it”, by Pat Hickey

Backup Budaj says he’s ready, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens tickets are still available, by Brenda Branswell

Photo gallery from Habs practice Monday

Bergevin passes first test, by Mark Spector of Sportsnet

Jets head to Montreal, where new test awaits, by Winnipeg Free Press

Jets have liftoff in early going, by The Canadian Press

1. twilighthours says:

One day later and I’m still happy.

Hope weber gets in to the next game.

2. JayK-47 says:

FINALLY, we have a roster we can start Tweaking ™

3. rhino514 says:

Let´s make Kaberle PK´s mentor!

• coutNY says:

So you you’d like Kaberle mentor PK the finer points of lounging in the pressbox? I think he can find better role models. CUBE ,or Jorges, or Markov for instance… Markov would be best cause he has both offensive and defensive abilities.

4. pmaraw says:

this is why i miss the thumbs up option, I could probably thumb up every post tonight!!! great news indeed!!!!!!!!!

5. Habspark says:

Well done MB, but also well done PK. This is great for the team, MB comes out looking strong and I’ll be cheering Subban all the way and looking forward to him re-signing a Pacioretty/Price-esque deal

6. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Good news!! Now to toss and turn and battle the pessimist in me who thinks Newtons law is bound to take effect any time soon. Or maybe that was Patches appendicitis? Oh why is being a fan so hard :D Oh well,back to slamming the window closed on my Kaberle voodoo doll.

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

…YIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!

_________________________________________________________
    HIO’s BC Odd Couple: UCe, the supercilious stickler; and HIS, the stubbornly relentless ‘schismatist’ :)
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

8. Marc10 says:

I’m very happy we got a star in the making up front, a star that’s almost there on D (he’s already a star in my book) and an All Star in goals.

But mostly I’m just happy we have a team of battlers that are going to be a pain to play against and a pleasure to watch.

9. AH says:

Catching up on all the reading/video…I loved Galchenyuk’s line about Gallagher’s goal…”he made no mistake”.

And YES!! PK is back!!!..whew, now my jersey won’t go to waste. Was thinking I might have to get it re-done; drop the 6s, slide over the 7’s and add 2’s!

10. Bouleau noir says:

Markov and Price have been huge while the Kids have surprised thus making our roster deeper and better than anticipated…. but none of it would matter much had not our team’s game’s face been transformed over what we saw here just a year ago but it has….. this year’s team is more solid between the hears, more focused and works harder. Now with Subban back in the line-up man things are looking ho so good….. Markov AND Subban in the same team!! this is pretty much one of the best if not the best top D pair in the league and to me that makes us a serieus contender for a playoff spot this season. They are back in the race and to top it up Boone is back to write about it…. suddenly 2013 doesn’t look so bad afer all.

11. Boomer says:

That poll is so unfair! they’re on the same line lol

12. Habilis says:

One final thought for me tonight. I was among those who thought MB should cave to Subban, sign him to 8 years. While I still think that would have saved money over time, in the end, MB did the absolute best thing for the club in a cap world. This gives PK plenty of time to prove his worth and gives the Habs an absolute bargain for 2 years, provided PK continues his progression. Then, in 2 seasons or less, he gets his payday. All the while staying RFA.

I’m happy to say I was wrong, and that’s why I ain’t running the Habs. Today I’m glad that MB is.

13. Boomer says:

I’m really not looking forward to the trolls coming out as soon as this team hits a slump or a losing streak… #BlameSubban

14. Harditya says:

Great news. Never thought he was going anywhere. This team needs PK.

15. frontenac1 says:

Hola! Great News! I’m breakin”out the Good Stuff tonight!!

16. CynicalHabsfan says:

What a fantastic job by Bergevin. I like PK, but MB really showed what he was made of by waiting him out and getting the best deal for the team. Gauthier would have caved weeks ago and given him whatever he wanted.

If PK’s really in the best shape of his life (like he told stubbs in that interview) he’s also rejoining the team with a chip on his shoulder, which can only make him a better player. Hopefully all the haters will be fans by this time next year and he’ll get his big payday.

Once again though, really impressed with MB

• Whatever says:

It’s better for the team, but it’s better for PK.

There is much more incentive to play for the big contract. As long as he continues to improve, he’ll net out with more money in the end. And as long as he improves, Montreal has more security in knowing what he is capable of doing in order to give him the big contract. That’s the whole point of a bridge. Prove your worth a little more and for a little longer.

I’d rather PK make his mistakes and hurt the team on the ice while he is still very young in his career without the added hurt of a bad cap hit that affects the team.

Feeling the pressure in Montreal when not playing well is not a good thing for an inexperienced player. Now add on the bad cap hit that also hinders the team.

• CynicalHabsfan says:

Totally agree with you, but a few days ago PK clearly wanted a longer contract and more money. Maybe he woke up today and saw the benefits of a bridge contract, maybe his family helped change his mind. Or maybe he realized that Bergevin was not going to cave, and that of his three options (accept the two-year deal, sit out the year or play somewhere else) this was the best.
        Either way, Bergevin deserves a lot of credit for holding steady and getting the job done. Now it’s PK’s turn to get the job done on the ice.

• Habitforming says:

I’m not sure I understand all the “great job MB ” posts. He low balled a star player (that will come back to haunt him btw) and refused to move on it at all. Really , he did nothing but wait. Give that credit to PK for wanting to be a hab. If he wanted money we would be talking about a trade that just happened.

17. Say Ash says:

So the logical conclusion is that there were no offer sheets?

• Habilis says:

I would think so. Any GM that’s willing to offer sheet against the Habs is either really stupid or really, really stupid.

• K-hab25 says:

I really think the lockout played a part in him not getting any offer sheets. If he indeed didn’t get any.

• Habilis says:

I doubt that. The cap going down next year just means they needed a backloaded deal, no biggie if someone was willing to go there.

PK didn’t get any offer sheets because the Habs aren’t Nashville. There’s not a chance that Montreal doesn’t match any contract, save for a blatant overpayment. And in that case, the team in question is stuck with a monster contract, and an enemy with very deep pockets. Not a good combo.

• K-hab25 says:

I was just thinking with all the crap they just went through, they’re in no hurry to stab each other in the back. I do agree they don’t want to piss off Bergevin, or any other GM’s for that matter.

• Habilis says:

Ah, gotcha. Yeah there’s that too. They probably will play nice, for a while anyhow. Once the buyers and sellers shake out by the trade dealine though, I’m betting the honeymoon is over.

In fact, it could get extra nasty this summer, with the cap drop next season and all. And I think I saw some new rule about impending UFAs being granted a 2 week window to negotiate with other teams, I could be wrong on that though. Should be fun to watch anyhow.

• K-hab25 says:

Oh ya, they’ll be back to their cut throat ways by the time summer rolls around.

• CynicalHabsfan says:

I’m guessing nobody was willing to give up the money he was after PLUS a draft pick.

• Whatever says:

According to Elliot Freidman on the Hotstove Sat. night, in talking to some GMs, since the Nashville match for Weber there is no point since the offer sheets almost always get matched.

I would imagine it creates a lot of animosity amongst the GMs for no reason. Piss people off and you don’t even get the player.

18. jedimyrmidon says:

This is random, but I found it interesting:

Shea Weber 6GP 0G 0A 0
    Ryan Suter 5GP 0G 3A -5

At least Suter’s got assists, but he’s also playing with Heatley, Koivu and Parise.

19. Sportfan says:

Well looks like they’ll have to put PKs’ stuff back in his locker in Brossard

20. PrimeTime says:

Ahole night

21. jedimyrmidon says:

And of course the guys on the Antichambre are already constructing elaborate schemes to rein in Subban’s attitude in the dressing room. This is all facts to them. Reality. Treating him like a cancer.

Seriously, watching them outthink themselves trying to shape Subban into an obedient drone is painful. Some love the idea of purposely keeping him out of the lineup for no reason other than to send him a message. Yeah, that’s going to sit well with Subban, and accomplish basically nothing. Hockey is the least of their concerns.

• Propwash says:

Obviously we’re not around PK all the time, but he seems to like to talk, maybe even smacktalk in the heat of the moment. Some athletes are like that, some aren’t.

Personally, I dig that attitude. It shows that he is a fierce competitor, and he does more often than not, bring it on the ice as well.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• jedimyrmidon says:

I can understand how it can rub people the wrong way, but these guys are top notch athletes who are supposed to be competitive. They’re also supposed to be professional. If they let a young guy who has a more charismatic and exuberant attitude rub them the wrong way, then they lack mental fortitude.

I don’t know, PK’s bearing seems to be consistent to me across all facets. I don’t think he appears one way to the public and then is this evil demon in the dressing room, which, to me, means that whatever may be considered ‘room issues’ stem directly from what everyone can see for themselves, which doesn’t seem to be worth treating him like a cancer.

Phewf. End of rant.

Edit: Oh. And I don’t think anyone can accuse Subban of taking the night off or not playing with effort. He’s not enigmatic and he’s not lazy. The guys on the AC make it seem like people including his own teammates would rather have a guy who floats around on the ice, doesn’t contribute (or contributes when he feels like it), but is ‘a great guy in the dressing room’. Hey, maybe they want Gomez back.

• Propwash says:

The guys in L’Antichambre are basing their opinions on assumptions. I have yet to see an ex Habs player, or any other player calling him out on how he is in the room. I personally, would love to see where they draw their facts from.

Most TV media types are paid to create stories. They have to fill a certain timeslot, and it seems PK is a huge magnet for that. Kudos to him for brushing it off and playing the game.

____________________
          DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• K-hab25 says:

My problem is more with the people who pretend PK isn’t cocky and constantly yapping. They act like it’s a media fabrication, but it’s not, we it see every game. Now with that being said, it’s what makes Subban, Subban, a very good young defenseman. He’s supremely confident in himself and his abilities and likes to tell anyone who’ll listen. Personally I like that guys like Richards hate him, good, f**k him. Like I said my issue isn’t that PK is cocky and yaps alot, it’s people refuse to acknowledge it. Like it’s an insult to Subban or something. He’s cocky and probably yaps to much, so what, as long as his play is helping the Habs win games, I don’t care how much he yaps, or how cocky he is.

• The Jackal says:

Well, it’s clear he plays that way. I don’t have an issue with people saying he is those things, what bothers me is that people give him crap for doing it but other players who do it more get away with it. It just grinds my gears that PK’s exuberance is criticized by some while it’s ok for other players.

_________________________
            “PK Subban is an integral part of the team, a hard-working player who is extremely talented, and part of any bright future the Habs may strive for.” – Gunnery Captain Obvious & Brigadier General Knowledge.

• K-hab25 says:

Ya, there are definitely alot worse cocky yappers than PK, as you pointed out below. I’d like to break Marchands giant nose, that guy gets on my last nerve. To Boston fans though, they probably feel the same way about PK. Doesn’t bother me any. I actually love it when opposing teams boo him, he even gets in their heads, it’s hilarious how much they hate him. Nobody likes a cocky guy that yaps and can back it up with his play, like PK.

• Bill J says:

Yeah it seriously annoys me to be able to understand that panel of wing-nuts.

• Bill says:

Subban is obviously not a Cancer. He’s a Taurus, and ironically, the l’Antichambre gang are full of bull.

We have watched Subban for years now and we know for a fact that when it comes to being cocky or playing dirty, he’s far from the worst offenders in the NHL. For SOME reason, everything he says or does is microscoped and scrutinized.

Just for example, Brad Marchand is cockier and dirtier, and also young … I don’t remember Mike Richards or Don Cherry calling him out. It’s really baffling … not.

Full Breezer 4 Life

22. citizenSanto says:

Great news!
    Excelsior! (ever higher) ;)

23. dasbooth says:

Wow, this is a good day. Congrats PK, Gally, Chuckie, Bergevin, and all the Habs fans out there. This season should be fun to watch, hell it already is. Can only get better.

“Shutouts are really more of a team stat” – Carey Price

24. Whatever says:

Well, that kinda worked out pretty well didn’t it?

Good on both for getting it done. I just became more impressed by Bergevin as did probably 29 other NHL GMs. A rookie GM just out stared one of the most feared player agents in the game.

Makes me more confident that we won’t get easily bent over during trades.

25. Bun E. Laroque says:

Stoked. Pernell Karl !! Awesome.

26. Habies says:

It’s 9:46am here in Myanmar, +26, sunny with no real humidity. Birds outside these teak windows as I sit at my desk. Not bad, eh? And now I just listened to the audiofeed of the conference with PK saying “mercu beaucoup tout le monde…” nice touch. Now, while we all take our time (I hope we’re all taking our time and no longer kneejerking our impressions) to reflect on this signing (it’s clear the majority of us know it’s the right move), I’m taking a quick reflection on technology before I give my inputs from overseas. Even here in Myanmar, which until 2004 didn’t have public internet, and until 2011 had censorship and no youtube, and since the beginning of time has liekly never seen a skate or heard a puck hit the boards, I am able to hear PK have a conversation with reporters and MB. Wow. I’m also able to listen to the Habies in the morning every game while I have coffee at 6:30am (11.5 horu time difference), but today’s conversation online really hit it home. Thanks HIO for posting it and for PK and the Canadiens allowing it be public (it really irons out any misunderstanding for the fans as well). Unreal.

Moving ahead… why was this signing GREAT?

Few reasons:
    i) Two years gives PK time to show his worth, and this can only be a benefit to the Habies this year. He wants between 5-6 and 7-8$ a year (this is his goal), this is clear, but now the only way to get there is for him to put up the numbers which deserve this and this- at the end of the day – only makes us stronger.
    ii) He puts himself on level with MaxPac and Price (our two best young stars) who also signed 2 year bridges… there was no way he could justify to them in the dressing room why he was worth a long term contract without a bridge.
    iii) the cap hit makes sense.
    iv) His salary is in the bottom half of the Habies in the dressing room which will certainly bring him back down to earth a bit. I fear if he had 6m a year, he’d have an inflated ego in the room (which others have said, even Therrien back when he was on antichambre).
    v) This really shows that MB and MT know that PK will make the Habies better… and even though PK may ruffle a few feathers, it will be outweighed by his skill.
    vi) There are enough non-ego (ie “character”) players on this team to keep PK in check. Think Gio who won’t let him parade around, Cole who will smack him down if need be, Markov and his sidekick Emelin won’t allow it, Gorges and Price (PK’s best bud on the team) will also keep him in check. Eller will continue to score and knit hats in the corner (I can imagine him knitting quietly), but others will keep PK in line I’m sure.
    vii) When we look at all the great words of praise Gorges and Gio and Moen are giving the Gallys, this shows us what type of young characteristics the dressing room wants… this will feed into PK.
    viii) This reminds us that there’s a business aspect to this, but in a week, we’ll forget all about this and I’m sure all will be forgiven… just like the lockout already is.
    ix) If PK would have left due to greed, his family would be the most hated family in Montreal hockey history (Malcolm on the Bruins, PK representing Toronto greed). Now, his family have a chance to be heroes at the core of a great rivalry.
    x) We all know now how MB works. You earn what you put in, and he ain’t going to be pressured. We have a great GM again, and a real player’s coach/GM combo.

So, it’s win-win-win-win-win (with the third win being technology, the forth being the team, the fifth being the fans).

I expect at tomorrow/today’s game (depending on the time zone), I reckon 90% of the fans will go ballistic for him, but 10% will give him a boo which is mildly essential to keep him in check a bit and let him know that greed won’t fly on this team and he was nearly on the wrong side of history. What do you think the percentage will be?

From the pre-Monsoon, Matthew-

• Steeltown Hab says:

So you’re assuming PK has an attitude problem and needs to be kept in check by the team based on no facts?

Being outgoing doesn’t translate into an attitude problem. PK is a young leader on this team and will be part of the leadership for a long time.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• 24 Cups says:

Habies – Subban needs to do three things.

1. Cut down on the minor penalties.
        2. Work on his shot from the point in terms of timing and telegraphing. Also try to get it on the net more.
        3. Dial back smiling at the opposing players. There are way too many cheap shot artists out there who would love to headhunt this guy (and cripple his team in the process).

Luckily, none of these three areas for improvement really centre around skill. It basically comes down to experience. Job #1 for Therrien is to find another mentor for Subban to replace Hal Gill.

• Chuck says:

Cube?

___________________________________________________

• The Jackal says:

There are way cockier and yappy players than PK, I don’t know why some people keep insisting that he is such a trash talker. Yeah, he yaps, but he’s no Lapierre or Hartnell. Come on, at the end of the day, PK is the one getting picked on and scrutinized because he is the most skillful of the yappers, he doesn’t just yap, he scores, hits, and is young. In other words, haters gonna hate.

_________________________

• K-hab25 says:

I agree with you, most of the hate stems from his skill level, but lets not pretend his cockiness and yapping don’t play a role. Although, personally I don’t care what other team’s player’s think anyway. As long as he’s doing his job on the ice, I could careless about the rest of it.

• CanadienBoy says:

With so many team looking for a D u think we could unload Kaberle

• showey47 says:

With 8 dmen now under 1 way contracts something has to give. Detroit havings so many injured dmen and plenty of cap space might be a good destination for him.

27. Loonie says:

So now we’re okay to go back to Eller being the whipping boy?

• Steeltown Hab says:

Can’t ask a habs related Q without you getting offended?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

I’ll wait until tomorrow morning until I pick away at the Danish. :)

• Chuck says:

When did you get the punny bone implant? :)

___________________________________________________

Cheers Chuck, we’re gonna have to organize a night out soon with the locals here and catch a Hab game at the bar together.

• Chuck says:

Absolutely!

___________________________________________________

• mdp2011 says:

too tired tonight, I will pick on Eller tomorrow. Good night everyone.

• Steeltown Hab says:

WOW – No one will even reply when you call out Desharnais play what is this? PK, Price, Eller etc all get it when they’re not on why is Desharnais this untouchable no ones supposed to speak about?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Loonie says:

Problem is that while Desharnais hasn’t been great. He’s been good enough without producing points that he shouldn’t be benched or scratched.

Line juggling to send him a message? Maybe. But in my opinion you’re seeing bad play that isn’t there.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Do you watch hockey, he’s looked lost out there through 4 games, getting knocked off the puck like a little boy, and needless to say no offense. He doesn’t bring enough defensively to make up for that. Even Eric Engels who’s a huge believer in DD agreed with that assessment.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Loonie says:

Screen on the game winning goal Sunday evening.

Yes I watch hockey thanks. I enjoy it too.

• grizzles says:

DD has been terrible to date, his line has looked the worst of the four through 4 games.

• vegas says:

he’s french

• ed lopaz says:

If Jacques Martin and Michel Therrien benched me I would not feel threatened 1 bit.

I thought Eller played well under Cunneyworth.

He was given solid minutes, playing center, and playing his game, and he responded.

When you expect Eller to play like Prust you might be disappointed.

• Loonie says:

Regardless of how solid of a young man Eller is I’m still worried about his development going forward. You can only screw with somebody’s head so much before they tune you out permanently. Therrien’s new to him but we know the treatment isn’t.

Just as we had to wait out and see how MB and PK would work things out, let’s wait and see how things develop for Eller. I said earlier, the Max PAC injury may turn out to be a blessing as it should open up spot and time for Eller to show his worth. I’m pulling for him.

• Loonie says:

Just because you’re reserving comment until morning I will too……..ah ah ah ah…….I CAN’T.

Eller won’t develop near quickly enough if they want him to play like Bourque, he needs to play like Eller. No north/south Prust/Bourque/White style of game. Let him be him. Coach him but don’t change everything that made him a first round pick.

• K-hab25 says:

I thought we all agreed it’s Kaberle. Did I miss a meeting?

28. Steeltown Hab says:

If Desharnais has 2 more games like he’s played the first 4 what do we do?

Is it not at least fair at that point to swap him and Eller, and give the Dane a shot to play Center for 3-4 games? Or has Desharnais “proven” too much.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• showey47 says:

I feel DD would be better served as a left winger. This would allow DD to play 150 foot game instead of a 200 foot game,this also eliminates the size mismatch in our own end. As much as people like to dump on eller,he scored just as many goals as DD did last year with virtually no PP time and playing with guys like moen and darche. IMHO in the future i would rather see galchenyuk,pleky and eller as our top 3 centers instead of galechenyuk,pleky and DD. DD may be the better playmaker but eller is much bigger,stronger and faster which is what you want at the center position.

Better defensively……:)

Sorry, I’ve got a big mouth, had to contribute.

• showey47 says:

I’m not bashing DD,he is a talented player and has probably spent his entire hockey life proving his doubters wrong. I’m just stating an opinion in the long term i feel eller is probably the better choice as a center then DD. I’d rather see DD as a top 6 left winger instead of a 3rd line center cause he is going to lose his current center position to galchenyuk as soon as next season.

• neumann103 says:

Eller suffers when playing the wing at least in part because he mentally still assumes the defensive responsibilities of the Center.

I have always thought that Desharnais could successfuly move to the wing. I don’t think the size issue is a killer.

Desharnais has not played well but his screen on Gorges goal the other night was awesome. He is losing battles that he won last year but it is not like he isn’t contributing.

Desharnais will come around. But so far he has not been better than Eller. I don’t expect Therrien to bench an uninspiring Desharnais just because of 4 games. But I certainly didn’t call it rational to bench Eller afer 1 game in which most of the team looked lame.

“Et le but!”

29. Un Canadien errant says:

It just occurs to me that this really helps my fantasy team. I won my first week with P.K. on the bench, and have now lost Max due to injury. I’m a lot better off now that P.K. is re-signed.

Bergevin held the line which I guess is a good thing going forward.

However, I hope fans remember that Subban left money on the table. In terms of real dollars he’s only getting an extra $750,000 more than Del Zotto and Kulikov. And there’s no way those two guys are on the same level as PK.

John Carlson basically got 4M a season, long term, which makes him the runner-up to the RFA winner, Jamie Benn.

I don’t want to sound too naive here, but I think that Subban just took one for the team.

• Loonie says:

I do too Steve. I find it hard to believe that Meehan didn’t have some offers from others teams come across his desk in the last two weeks.

• Propwash says:

He probably did, but isn’t he obliged to forward those offers to MB? And if so, MB said he had no interest in trading PK.

____________________
        DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Loonie says:

I don’t know if he has to forward the offers to him.

If he is obligated to send them along it’s far less likely that one was offered at any point.

Either way, Subban even without more leverage than Bergevin just gave this team one heck of a discount.

• Propwash says:

I believe even if he was unsigned, he would have remained Habs property as he is/was an RFA, so no matter what, a deal would have had to have been cleared by MB anyway.

____________________
            DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Loonie says:

My understanding is that while an RFA the agent can negotiate with anyone but must give immediate notice to the GM holding exclusive rights if a deal is reached with a rival club, and then the clock starts on whether or not the team matches the offer sheet.

• Propwash says:

Right, so it seems that no team made an offer, or his agent said thanks, but no thanks, we want to deal with Montreal solely.

____________________
            DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Loonie says:

I think that’s a fair assumption, I share it. ;)

• HardHabits says:

It’s a cap world.

Subban certainly did but take one for the team, however he still gets the 3.75 million dollar pay day next season. All he need to do is play to his potential to earn even more later in his career.

3.75 million is higher than either Price or Pacioretty’s last year of their bridge contracts. It also sets a precedent because you know the Galchenyuk’s bridge salary will be measured against it.

I say both Subban and Bergevin should be garnering much respect and relief from Habs fans for inking this deal.

Subban has made a sacrifice yes, but it is also a sacrifice which is going to be handsomely rewarded in the future.

• savethepuck says:

I doubt if Galchenyuk does what we hope and expect him to do over the next 3 yrs, he will be offered a bridge contract. He’ll get payed. Big difference when you are talking about a 3rd overall pick in the NHL at age 18 compared to a 2nd rounder entering the NHL as a 20 yr old. He will get the Hall, Seguin etc…type contract if he proves himself. The comparables are there.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• The Jackal says:

Agreed, I’m glad he signed today, and I’m excited to see this team come together.

_________________________

31. ed lopaz says:

there’s some big time modding going on tonight.

it’s creepy. one minute I’m reading a post and the next minute its gone

32. doug19 says:

Thank you PK and MB a great day for all,well perhaps not opponents.

33. Bill says:

Speaking of core youth, it boggles the mind how the Leafs furnished the Bruins with their best young players at each position: Seguin, Hamilton, and Rask. Wow. That has to hurt for them to look at.

Full Breezer 4 Life

34. Rad says:

The addition of Subban immediately improves the Habs. Couple that with the hot start right out of the gate, and there is reason for optimism once again in Montreal. It will be a pleasure to watch up and coming players like Galchenyuk and Gallagher and Tinordi develop into the players they can be. With good coaching and Subban now in the fold, this team is headed in the right direction. Good job in all areas by the Marc Bergevin management team. Success flows from the top down.

35. AceMagnum says:

Wow. Happy for ya PK must be nice. You can skate and shoot a puck. All I have is a university degree. Now if you’ll all excuse me, I patiently await my unemployment check….

36. The Gonk says:

Nice news. Considering all the chatter and speculation on the money and length, surprised by the deal, especially the dollar figures. Hopefully there’s no hard feelings and PK remains a Hab for a very long time. Well done by MB.

37. twilighthours says:

There have been a lot of opinions on here tonight, but we have yet to hear from Patrice Brisebois. What’s up? Is subban capable of the glorious outlet pass? Can he go Full Breezer?

38. Eric37 says:

We not only get PK back on the team but we just learned what kind of GM we have. MB is gonna be a good one.

Not hearing much from the haters tonight.

—————————————————-

To quote the great Carey Price: “Chill out.”

E.

39. Habfan10912 says:

Deep breath Zep. It’s a happy time tonight.

———————————–

40. savethepuck says:

So can we expect a top 6 D Of Gorges-PK, Marky-Emi, Diaz-Bull? I don’t mind that at all.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

41. Bill says:

You have to love the Habs’ core youth going forward: Price, Subban, Emelin, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher … these are really good pieces to build around.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• likehoy says:

I see you’ve left out Eller?
      no more love for the kid these days..

• Bill J says:

Eller and weber to islanders for Niño.

• Bill says:

I don’t see Eller succeeding in Montreal. Therrien is the third coach in a year to sour on him. Something’s up there.

He’s got skill and size, but it’s not happening. I hope he turns it on, or for his sake maybe he gets traded somewhere where he can develop better.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• The Gonk says:

I’m still hopeful. On one hand Eller has talent but you’d expect better transferable hockey IQ at this point, irrespective of who he’s played with over the last couple of years. On the other, there’s some untapped potential yet to be realized because he hasn’t had consistent line-mates. I think he’s good ongoing dilemma than a disappointment – at least this year.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

IMO Eller’s best skill is the same as Scott Gomez’ses which is skating the puck from his own end through the neutral zone and across the other team’s blue line. Therrien’s system involves advancing the puck with 3 or 4 passes instead which makes Eller’s #1 skill useless to the Canadiens. If Eller played for a team that asked its centres to pick up the puck behind its own net and carry it I bet he’d look really good… until he passed when he should have shot, or vice versa which he’d almost certainly do.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Hilarious assumptions, and PK is some cancer in the locker room too I bet. Listen to Eller speak, half the guys in his sitch would’ve demanded a trade.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Bill says:

Zero assumptions made. One opinion and one fact. And if you really paid attention on this board you’d know that I was squarely on PK’s side and maintain that anyone who says he’s a “cancer” is speaking whereof they know not. Sort of like you here.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• rhino514 says:

Quite suddenly, Eller´s days as a centre are basically over. Who woulda thunk? Galchenyuk should be the third centre, so it´s Eller to the wing. Unless DD ends up on the wing
          On top of that, it doesn´t seem at first glance that Eller fits with the two Gallys, or anywhere, really. He´s way too good for the fourth line, but where do you fit him? LW for the two Gallys is the only place I can think of, but Prust seems to be doing such a good job with the kids….
          Eller needs to show what he can do in the next 20-25 games or so, he has been given two full seasons, or else I can see him being moved.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Plek didn’t break out until he played with AK and Kovalev.

Desharnais with Pacioretty and Cole.

Eller’s been given no shot to play with consistent decent wingers, and don’t tell me “he hasn’t run with it” because the only time he gets to play with decent linemates it’s when he’s on the W which isn’t suitable to his game.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• NoTinFoilCups says:

Eller? Replying to Bill. Give the kid a chance fer chrissakes!

42. Steeltown Hab says:

Our D becomes a lot better with PK and suddenly this team is starting to look like competing for a playoff spot isn’t completely out of the question.

The deal speaks for itself, great bargain for MTL, and PK just wants to play, plain and simple. He’ll get his money in a couple seasons.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

43. SPATS says:

Can’t wait to see what MB gets for Kaberle.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

44. Bill J says:

WTH with the CTV news interruption. Too funny Dave “someone’s credentials are getting revoked.”

45. Best part is that Markov is healthy and playing top minutes, so there will be no pressure on PK to try and carry the team. He’ll be good, and then some day great.

We all nailed this contract, good job troops.

They Call Me Shane
    “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
    Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

46. Chuck says:

In a word: awesome news!
    ___________________________________________________

47. habstrinifan says:

Just came home and saw that P.K. signed.
    I have never posted re the appriopriateness of dollars and cents that were being tossed around and wont do now. I have no qualifications for that.

I would like, because it’s wrong to just stand by and say and do nothing, to CALL OUT the MANY here who hurled their vitriol at the young man quoting outrageous demands and crucifying him as selfish and worse. Those who did should now examine themselves and their consciences for some of the things they wrote about P.K. But, I am sure they wont. It takes a certain mettle and fairness of character which if possessed, would have certainly tempered their earlier posts.
    I am sure P.K was asking for much much more than he agreed to. But, based on the final contract it can be safely argued that while his demands were not what MB was willing to pay, they were in no way as outrageous and selfish etc as some of posters here were carrying on about.

I am sure not one of those self-proclaimed ‘noble’ posters would now come on and post a mea-culpa for the vitriol they hurled at the young man.

As a purely academic observation, this contract is probably one of the rarest in modern sports where so many athletes are hugely overpaid.

• HardHabits says:

Hey. I said the Tank™ is backing up! What more do you want?

Hey Trin, I would like to think you and I had some good discussions over the whole negotiations. I hope I am not who you are thinking of.

• ed lopaz says:

Gerald, you were always respectful in the discussions.

• habstrinifan says:

Absolutely NOT HabinBurlington! I tried writing a longer answer to your question. But I thought all the words I was using in that longer answer came down to ONE idea. I have always RESPECTED you and thats because you conduct yourself in a manner worthy of that respect. I thank you for every time we have been able to exchange opinions (and diasgreement) as fans of this team. Posters like you stoke my passion for the team while allowing me the pleasure of a fellowship and camaraderie.

And may I add that when you see me expound on these issues… I do so because some time ago (not related to this site), I stayed quiet.. and lost a bit of my manhood then which I know I shall never recover.

• JohnBellyful says:

Mea culpa. I feel really bad about the song spoof.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s happy time trini. Let’s look forward and this will be all forgotten real soon.

• Bill J says:

Hey, take it from a Pricebot™ they will fade away. I mean the ones you are referring to, others who remain. You may come to forgive over time.

Happy day today, no need argument starters. Ya know?

48. Habfan4lfe says:

Glad this is resolved and he can play. The contract seems fair to me and good for him.

49. CharlieHodgeFan says:

This team, with Subban, becomes more interesting.
    Subban, with this team, becomes more interesting. If this edition of the Habs can maintain its momentum and energy, and if Markov can maintain his blessed knees, then PK finally has a context to grow in. He remains a young player lacking experience, and I think I see a team capable of putting a frame around an interesting picture.
    The PG/JM Habs could have ruined Subban. He was trying to do too much and succeeding too little. Now, that talent and big personality can fit into a team, under what increasingly appears to be a smart coaching group.
    Physically, PK is there. he just needs to learn, and I expect it is going to become very fun to watch him learn. He’s a confident guy who is joining a team that for the first time in a long time may actually equal his confidence.
    Well, okay, not equal, but complement…

Even if there are personality clashes, who cares? They’ll get over them, as grown-ups. Since we have no proof of such conflicts, I think we can all chill and watch the spectacle unfold now.
    Glad to see that problem solved. Now all they have to do is keep battling and even winning, and things will fall into place.

50. Say Ash says:

Well, lost a bet with the wife. Our new puppy will be named Bergevin.

51. The Jackal says:

I see the drama continues.
    Chin up fans, PK is back, we can all put it to rest and focus on hating the Bruins.

_________________________

52. mdp2011 says:

Is it just me or does the Habs defence look pretty good all of a sudden? I feel a lot more confident about their defence than I did before the season started.

• Habfan10912 says:

I think some of it is system related but Diaz and Emilin have looked much better thus far in moving the puck out.

———————————–

Agree, I think our aggressive forechecking results in much less easy entries in our defensive zone. But more importantly Markova is an anchor, the development of Emelin and Diaz and now the return of PK. All the while Gorges just does his job. It is a solid group, better perhaps than we thought it would be.

• mdp2011 says:

Yup, Emelin and Diaz have looked a lot better in year 2. Also the return of the Markov of old, add the rock Gorges, and now PK, looks pretty good to me. Now if MB can find a way to get rid of Kaberle, that would be icing on the cake.

• ProHabs says:

It is all Bouillon. Buuuuuuuuuulllllllllllllllllllllll.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m pretty surprised with how the defense is doing so far because I, like a lot of other people, thought we were a tad on the small and passive side. That hasn’t been exposed as of yet and Subban is one of the more physical guys we’ve got. So maybe we were panicking for nothing?
      I’ll admit I was wrong at take my crow medium rare if that’s the case. Unlike others on this site, I’m wrong on occasion ;-).

I am a long standing member of being wrong, perhaps why my day job isn’t in pro hockey.

• SPATS says:

Agree with Weber, Diaz and Kaberle on the passive side.
        Throw Frankie the Bull in on the ‘small’ side (but he plays like 6’5″)
        As ProHabs put it. It is all Bouillon – BweeeYohn you could hear them chanting his name when he plaster some Devil into the boards in the 3rd.

Forget small and passive, the only one who will fit that label now is Diaz, but he’s making up for it on the PP (and the point sheet) Weber and Kaberle are done with the CH

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

53. HabFanSince72 says:

This is a great deal for the Habs. But it’s also pretty good for PK.

The Habs get their star defenceman for a relative bargain. Also they don’t face the possibility of his being a UFA at his peak ( age 29).

PK gets a lot more than Del Zotto (same salary this year, $900,000 more next year), so not at all a rip off. Obviously he would have been better off with a longer deal but the CBA is what it is.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

The rumour was (2.2 + 2.9) = 5.1 ÷ 2 for a 2.55 million cap hit per year.
    The signed deal is (2 + 3.75) = 5.75 ÷ 2 for a 2.875 million cap hit per year.

This was all about the cap. The only conclusion I can come to is the Habs have a plan and are sticking to it.

I am more than a bit flabbergasted, as I thought it was going to be something like 3.25 + 3.75 = 7 ÷ 2 for a 3.5 million cap hit per year.

The 3.75 pay-out in the 2nd year of the contract basically guarantees that Subban will be earning much more than 4 million dollars in a year and a half and it gives him a higher last year in the bridge contract than Price and Pacioretty, not insignificant in terms of optics, and Bergevin gets the low-ball first year deal.

Magnificent really. I am totally impressed… with both Bergevin and Subban.

• Loonie says:

Why impressed with Subban if you don’t mind me asking Dave?

• The Jackal says:

Maybe he believes the fantastical narrative that PK is a selfish guy? Who knows… it’s over, PK is back, woooo!

_________________________

• Un Canadien errant says:

I think I understand what he’s saying. My take is that both are to be commended also.

Marc Bergevin for sticking to his guns and showing that even though he’s a rookie GM, he’s surrounded himself with good people and good advice and will work pro-actively rather than to be reflexive.

P.K. for swallowing his pride and coming back into the fold. It would have been ‘easy’ for P.K. to sit out longer, or even demand a trade. It must have rankled him to sign essentially what was the team’s first offer. He held out and got more favourable terms for himself, and then appeared at a press conference and didn’t voice any lingering bitterness à la Erik Cole, but rather said all the right things and quashed 90% of the uneasiness his return might have brought up.

• habstrinifan says:

You are flabbergasted YES! But are you man enough to retract some of your earlier words. You, were one of the main proponents who suddenly became an arbiter of virtue in regards to P.K.

Your words that you ‘are impressed’ ring so hollow!

• HardHabits says:

Here are some things I’ve said. Subban is an exceptionally gifted athlete and has the potential to become an elite defence man some day. IMHHO he isn’t elite yet.

I don’t feel I need to retract a thing. Is there something in particular that you would like to bring up or challenge?

I did go over the top earlier today but I immediately apologized and it was well before Subban signed. Apart from that… that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

55. CCL says:

The two Gally’s and PK. This team for sure is going in the right direction. if we can stay away from injuries. we have a good chance at making the playoffs.

56. ProHabs says:

This looks like a sign and trade deal. PK to the Bruins for Lucic.

57. Blondie says:

:) lol – A lot of rage got modded on the previous page, it’s a mess back there. Kind of funny though.

58. Seps says:

So who’s the odd man out here. Have they said or should we all just assume it’s Kaberle >=)

• Bill says:

Well … it’s not Markov, or Emelin, or Subban, or Gorges, or Diaz (too many points), or Bouillon (getting tons of ice-time from Therrien) … so it could only be Kaberle.

Look for Bergevin to trade him to another team and eat some of the salary as the new CBA allows.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Un Canadien errant says:

Does the team trading away a player keep just salary, or also cap hit? Because if you get rid of all the cap hit, that’s great for both the team trading the player and the receiving team, which might be trying to just reach the cap floor. In such a scenario, a Tomas Kaberle is eminently tradeable.

59. twilighthours says:

I’m no mod nor administrator, but I do have a vested interest in this site, being one of the originals… so, two questions:

1) what happened on the previous page with all the orphaned comments? something involving Tom?

2) were there more racist comments? From whom?

Hey game day tomorrow with no PK arguing, I sense major line combos loaded with tweaking!

61. Habfan10912 says:

I suppose because of salary Weber might be an easier sell but I’d prefer that Kabrele be moved. No way the Habs keep 8 dman, right? So one must go.

———————————–

• K-hab25 says:

You would think Kaberle would have more suitors, but might have to wait for the deadline to move him. They could just use Kaberle as the 7th D, Noke as the 13th forward and Weber as swingman who can play both in a pinch.

62. Bill says:

With PK back in the fold, let’s turn to the next controversy: what are the Habs going to do with DD next year?

He’s an RFA at the end of the year. Do they give him a deal that extends into his UFA years for a big chunk of money? Or give him a one year deal at a discount and let him walk?

I’m really curious because I want to know how the team see this player. I guess a lot will depend on whether he can repeat his success this year. But tell you what, I’m never betting against him again.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Loonie says:

Lots of scenarios for sure there Bill.

Could trade Eller or Plekanec, could trade Desharnais.

Could move Eller to the wing full time but it would only be a matter of time before Plekanec or Desharnais become the third line centreman with Galchenyuk’s development, so trading Eller doesn’t make room and because of that probably makes the least amount of sense.

It’s definitely going to be interesting. I think Desharnais gets a relatively short term deal(3-4 years) and Bergevin allows the competition between the three centremen to sort out who he moves forward with in the following season.

• ed lopaz says:

The one guy not being traded, in my opinion is DD.

Simply because even if he repeats his success from last year he will still be way undervalued by the league.

Also, he is much more valuable in Montreal then to other teams – I think he is about to be enshrined in the Chicoutimi Saguenéens hall of fame.

• Loonie says:

Didn’t know that. Good for him.

I’m reluctant to say that Desharnais could be traded but until he gets an extension I think all bets are off. This is Bergevin’s team now and I maintain the thought that until he signs them, we can’t really view them as cornerstones or core players in his mind.

• 24 Cups says:

Bill – DD will always have the French factor in play. He’s the only French-Canadien on the team and Leblanc is the only French player who might make the team in the near future.

The player who will be most impacted by the Subban signing is Galchenyuk. PK just cost him some future coin.

• Bill says:

By the time Galchenyuk is up for a new contract it will be 2015, and Subban will have signed a long term deal (we hope), so that will obviously affect the cap situation.

But I woudn’t say it will cost Galchenyuk anything. If he turns out how he looks he will turn out, he’ll get the money and someone else will suffer.

Wonder if Bergevin asks Chucky to take a bridge contract in three years.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• HardHabits says:

I disagree. I have always liked DD and rooted for him to make the NHL. But I worry that his NHL time will be limited to a few seasons. Hopefully we can squeeze one really good play-offs out him. :-D

• 24 Cups says:

Dave – If DD ever gets trade and Leblanc can’t cut it, it would be the first time in my memory that the team has never had a French-Canadien player.

• HardHabits says:

Habs need to get into the business of producing them in Quebec and getting their hands on them before anybody else does if that’s the case.

I think we are heading into a new era for the Canadiens. Where it isn’t the heroes on the ice that are the Flying Frenchmen, but the heroes in the offices and behind the bench, hence all the local blood hiring.

It’s like a promotion or a raise. An evolution. A revolution. A coop d’etat. No longer are the Canadiens the toiling heroes on the ice but are now the big bosses in positions of power, the coaches, the GM, the staff, leading the way, making the decisions, hiring, firing and taking charge of things. Les nouveaux joueurs dans les ligues majeures. Maîtres chez nous.

Just waxing poetic. It could sell though. ;-)

63. Mattyleg says:

I never doubted it would happen.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

64. The Dude says:

Well ,as of this point and time on this site we all know who’s not only a Subban hater but the few who have racial intolerance issues …a proud moment,eh

65. habsfan0 says:

So, PK will suit up with the Habs on Saturday,without the benefit of playing a game or 2 with the Bulldogs,just to get into game shape?

If this is true,then PK won’t get his usual TOI on Saturday,it would seem.

What a nice surprise! Both sides indirectly save face. Bergevin can say he held his ground while Subban avoids having to cross over into the twilight zone. Two years from now I’m quite certain he hits paydirt.

This also helps out with the cap situation for next year. Subban’s hit is 2.875M, which with the departure of Kaberle leaves the team at 51.9M for 16 players. The only other player signing of any consequence would be DD.

That leaves 12.4M to sign 4 forwards, 2 Dmen, and a back-up goalie.

Now just need the Canes to beat Bruins, 3-3 late 3rd

68. Bill says:

I’d rather see PK locked up long-term, but Bergevin’s the boss. Why dick around last year’s MVP? Whatever. Glad PK has signed and looking forward to seeing him suit up on Saturday.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Seps says:

Hey Price and Pacioretty got the same 2-year deal, just to make sure he’s no dipietro/bryzgalov, then give him the cash

• HardHabits says:

… and arguably either Price or Pacioretty was last year’s MVP. Sorry Bill. ;-)

• habsfan0 says:

What about Cole?

• Bill says:

It’s Subban, you guys. A second year player asked to be the number one D on offence AND defence, on power-play AND penalty-kill, and he succeeded. Led the team in ice-time. Was a +9 on a brutal defensive squad.

Pacioretty and Cole were great, but they weren’t carrying the load Subban was. Price was good last year, but not the MVP.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• HardHabits says:

Bill. Price was MVP.

• habsfan0 says:

Not during overtime or shoot outs, he wasn’t.

• Bill says:

When Price and Pacioretty were coming out of their entry deals, they had not done anything like what Subban had done. Not comparable situations.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• K-hab25 says:

That’s your opinion. Price was a #1 goaltender for almost all of his first three years as a 19,20,21 year old and made an all star team. PK played first pairing minutes for 1 year with Josh Gorges as a 23 year old, because of injuries. He certainly is not any more “proven” than Price was. Pacioretty, yes, Price, definitely not. Oh ya, Cole and Pacioretty had better seasons than PK, who was probably tied for 3rd with Price last year.

• The Jackal says:

Yeah yeah, you’re right ;)

_________________________

• K-hab25 says:

Keep Trolling My Friend :-)

• 25insight says:

he may not be playing, but here’s a quote off the NHL Habs website: “I’ve been on the ice for roughly three-and-a-half hours a day so I think I’m in the best shape that I possibly can be,” confirmed Subban, who will join the team in Ottawa on Wednesday morning. “Obviously, nothing matches being in a game, but mentally and physically I know I’m ready to go and I’m ready to help them wherever they need me to help them.”

So is he playing wednesday or Saturday?

69. SmartDog says:

This is a decent deal for PK.

What most people are forgetting is that the 2 mil is pay for just over half a season. He’s essentially getting 3.75 million per year. A fair result.

You have to hand it to Bergevin though. He seems to find the right balance with each move. I’m impressed. At the same time… I have to say… is it so hard to just be reasonable and clear? I mean… why did Gauthier make it all seem so cryptic and difficult?
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

70. Mavid says:

finally! good news..now on to some Hockey..

71. Carta-Hab says:

First off, I am very happy that PK will be back on the ice in the very near future. Our PP should be as lethal to other teams as kryptonite is to Superman. We can also now share the workload on D, and our top 4 is a nice mix of size, skill, and grit. Very encouraging sign.

That said, I have to tip my hat to Marc Bergevin. I think every single move he has made thus far since becoming a GM have been a good ones are in some cases are already paying dividends. I think we have a future star in the front office at the moment.

Some posters have mentioned that PK could potentially go to arbitration after this contract and potentially walk as a UFA after that contract. That is a risk, to be sure, but it is three years seasons from now. I truly believe that if he proves himself, the Habs will reward him with the big, long term contract he wants. Both Price and Pacorietty got their own, so there really is no reason to think PK won’t either. If he decides to leave, that decision will be purely on him as he will be well compensated by this time (contract wise) if he performs.

Mike Milbury, Don Cherry, and PJ Stock….The three stooges of HNIC.

• Loonie says:

That’s fair. And in fairness, it isn’t like Price gave a discount. I’m just acknowledging the strong possibility that Meehan will play as much hardball next time around in comparison to the refusal to budge from Bergevin this time.

I commend Bergevin for sticking to his guns and am very impressed that it worked because I do cheer for this team first and individual players second.

It concerns me to a small degree that his next contract could have bigger than needed cap implications because of this deal.

That’s all.

72. ed lopaz says:

PK is back!!

• Loonie says:

The collective sigh of relief should have caused pins to be heard dropping.

• ed lopaz says:

it was touch and go there for a while tom, I was very concerned.

I know you were too.

• neumann103 says:

Now if we can just get Lars Eller out of Therrien’s inexplicable doghouse we are all set.

“Et le but!”

• ed lopaz says:

Ha! Ha! Neumann, I know. I know.

Eller is a very patient and very mature young man.

Stubbs confirmed this a few days ago, and everyone who knows him, knows he’s such a hard worker they really want him to succeed.

I know Boone is a big Eller fan, too.

• Loonie says:

Yeah. It’s a very impressive start to a re-tooling to have Price, Subban, Emelin, Pacioretty and Galchenyuk.

Potentially dominant players at each position. And a better than normal likelihood that they do become dominant.

• ed lopaz says:

there’s magic there for sure – a core of young talent that can stand up against any young core – finally!

Galchenyuk is so confident – I’m so impressed.

What a player he is going to be!!

73. piper says:

Now MB needs to shop Kaberle hard.