(AUDIO) Habs sign Markov to three-year contract; Burns named to Hall of Fame

To listen to what Markov had to say during a mid-afternoon conference call with reporters click here:

Andrei Markov won’t be leaving Montreal.

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced on Monday afternoon that the defenceman has signed a new three-year contract. Markov could have become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

The deal is worth $17.25 million with a $5.75-million salary-cap hit each season. It is identical to the three-year contract the 35-year-old Markov just completed.

“We are very happy to have secured a long-term agreement with Andrei,” Bergevin said in a statement. “He is an important part of our group of core players. He is healthy, shows a very good work ethic and has great leadership skills. He plays big minutes against the top opponents, and game-changing defencemen of his calibre are hard to find.”

Said Markov in a statement: “I am very pleased to be a member of the Montreal Canadiens organization for years to come. I played for the Canadiens for the past 14 seasons, Montreal is my home. I am very confident in our group of players and I want to contribute to the success of our team.”

In 81 games this past season, Markov posted 7-36-43 totals and was plus-12, while averaging 25:14 of ice time. In 17 playoff games, he posted 1-9-10 totals and was minus-4.

The Canadiens selected Markov in the sixth round (162nd overall) of the 1998 NHL entry draft.

In other news Monday, former Canadiens coach Pat Burns was among six people selected as the Hockey Hall of Fame’s induction class of 2014. Joining Burns will be Dominik Hasek, Peter Forsberg, Mike Modano, Rob Blake and referee Bill McCreary.

Burns, who coached the Canadiens for four seasons, starting in 1988-89, will be posthumously inducted into the builder category four years after his death from cancer. The three-time Jack Adams Award winner as the NHL’s coach of the year also coached the Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins and New Jersey, winning the Stanley Cup with the Devils in 2003.

“It’s a great day for me and my family,” Lynn Burns, Pat’s widow, told the Hockey Hall of Fame website. “I’m speechless and tremendously happy. Pat would be proud and this is well-deserved.”

Tweeted Canadiens owner Geoff Molson: “Pat Burns to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. A well-deserved honour for a great coach.”

Habs sign Markov for three more years, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Why Markov is worth three years and $5.75-million cap hit, The Hockey News

Markov’s contract history, capgeek.com

Canadiens’ salary-cap chart, capgeek.com

Burns joins Hall of Fame, montrealgazette.com

Blake, Forsberg, Hasek, Modano lead 2014 Hall class, NHL.com

Habs fans not happy with TV schedule, by Pat Hickey

1,271 Comments

1. DipsyDoodler says:

It’ll be a sad day in the Mile End if Greece and Italy are eliminated in the same day. The only residents who won’t care are the Hassidim and the hipsters.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

2. Rad says:

Steve Simmons has a nice piece on Josh Ho-Sang in the Toronto Sun. Could he be the under-the-radar pick we are looking for at #26?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Super talent but is small, and a bit of a selfish player I hear.

• CH Marshall says:

verrrrrry interesting!…. hmm… We could have another Subban type steal here.. Also we need to find additional players to keep MT busy

• myron.selby says:

Picking #26, I see this as a potential home run. You can’t teach that kind of skill. And as someone (help me out here) once said – it’s not bragging if you can back it up (or something remotely similar to that anyway).

He sounds like he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder but I can see why when I look into the circumstances. Getting left out by Hockey Canada when you’re that skilled has got to burn. And that 15 game suspension was a joke. I don’t even think it should have been 2 minutes.

3. Un Canadien errant says:

A remarkably good piece on René Bourque by Justin Bourne, who played against him in the NCAA.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

4. Maritime Ronn says:

mrhabby says:
    …..no opposing GM is going to do an offer sheet against the Habs. GMs really don’t like doing that to each other it hardly ever happens.
    ——————————
    The past proves you absolutely right.
    Since 2004 and that new CBA 10 years ago, there have only been 8 Offer Sheets signed – 7 have been matched, and only 1 player has changed teams (Penner 2007 from Anaheim to Edmonton)

4 of those 8 were done by Kevin Lowe (Vanek-Penner) and Philly Paul Holmgren (Kesler-Weber)

Subban will NOT receive an Offer Sheet, yet he has all the bargaining powers this time around – it’s called Arbitration Rights.

The very worst Subban could do this time around is take that Habs to Arbitration – then the Habs request a 2 year deal, and Subban walks away with at least $7.5M (see Shea Weber Arbitration decision 2011)…and then Subban becomes a UFA in the summer of 2016 and free to choose any team he wishes to play for.

That is the Habs Armageddon Scenario!

5. Habitant in Surrey says:

408, up from 356 only an hour ago :) Let’s realize at least 1000 before the day is done

____________________________________________________
    For all HIO members: this is Scott Moore’s Twitter account link; https://twitter.com/MooreScottmoore

Scott Moore is President of Sportsnet and NHL Hockey for Rogers.

Any of You with a Twitter account, give him Your opinion of the Roger’s television access for Our Montreal Canadiens

While You’re at it, provide him the link to Our petition page so he can sign it :)

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

6. JF says:

Eklund is saying the Habs are interested in Jussi Jokinen. I guess that means he’s the last thing on their minds.

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

Listen fellow Habs Fans, …if You are a Roger’s subscriber of ANYTHING …T.V., internet, cell-phone ANYTHING

Phone Roger’s, …calmly advise them You are switching Your business to X, Y or Z. When they ask You why, calmly tell them why, it is because You are a Montreal Canadiens Fan

…I think they will add 2 + 2 together

…and then, calmly …hang-up

8. Un Canadien errant says:

Elliotte Friedman’s 30 Thoughts:

And Justin Bourne’s “Thoughts on Thoughts”:

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

9. Habitant in Surrey says:

What is certain there is a raving upset market not able, at least at this time, to watch Their Team play hockey in the way they want or afford to watch …at least, nationally, west of Ontario

This is not a few Canucks, Jets, or Flames fans, this is a very large Montreal Canadiens Fan-base …and We don’t bloddy-well care the ‘reasons’ why …We want it fixed

The situation for the Montreal Canadiens is also politically unique …there are Francophones across Canada that can be making the case an icon of Their culture is no longer available without premium costs

For instance, My heart bleeds for Norm in Whistler :)

…okay, okay, that was not a convincing example …but You know what I mean

This could be a negotiated partnership between Rogers and Bell (RDS/TSN) for all We care to realize a dedicated Habs Channel

That’s do-able, that’s possible …not likely probable …but possible

We know what We want …let Roger’s, TVA and Bell figure it out !

10. Habitant in Surrey says:

Too many Habs Fans are saying that Roger’s ‘don’t care’ what We think.

I guarantee You, …give them enough bad/negative press and publicity, and they WILL care.

Guaranteed !

11. Habitant in Surrey says:

If anyOne is a reader or member as well to Eyes On The Prize, would You see about leaving a link to the petition ?

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

12. mrhabby says:

My guess is Hemsky signs with Habs. We lose Gionta /Vanek . The Guy is Czech and knows Pleks….book it.

13. Sportfan says:

We’re going to give Weaver and offer right?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

14. Habitant in Surrey says:

The riveting memory of actually watching 5 to 10 minutes of a soccer game was a scene after a goal, I don’t remember or would recognize the name of the players, club team, but the goal-scorer was on the grass and his team-mates piling on top of him.

Finally, as the players begin to rise to their feet, one happy team-mate leans his mouth into the prone goal-scorers crotch and bites his penis.

That’s the moment I came to the conclusion soccer is for certain folks, and hockey for Me.

15. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

PK held out last time and posters think a deal should be reached quickly? Whether you believe it or not, this is going to be an ugly negotiation. PK is worth 7.5 mill right now. If you take that number and factor in inflation over an eight year term, his agent has to be asking for a $9 million/year deal (or he’s incompetent). The Habs have ZERO leverage. Markov basically got what he wanted (4% “home-town” discount…LOL). The worst thing that can happen to PK is that he goes to arbitration. The best is he gets an offer sheet from a good team. If I was an opposing GM, I would offer him one as he is as valuable off the ice as on it. I just can’t see him taking a discount…I wouldn’t.

• bwoar says:

I think Markov left 3M on the table, that’s more than 4%.

• mrhabby says:

• Loop_Garoo says:

I don’t think it will be ugly. My guess is they are already within a million a year of each other, PK’s agent asking for 8 or 8.5, MB offering 7 or 7.5 to start, on an 8 year deal. UFA’s and draft will be priority for next couple of weeks, then PK gets signed, likely early- mid aug.

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

In a Tim Bozon story in the Kamloops local paper:

‘Last week, he skated for the first time since Feb. 28.
    “After five minutes, I gained everything back, my hands and my skating,” Tim said.

“I was really happy and confident for the future.”

He has his sights set on attending the Habs’ rookie camp in September and playing for their American Hockey League affiliate, the Hamilton Bulldogs, next season.

Tim even mentioned attending the Canadiens’ prospects camp in July, but admitted that might be a tad overambitious.

His mom brought an iPad to the rink and filmed her son’s return to the ice.

“Oh, me, I cried. I cried,” Hélène said.

“If you think about three months ago, when he was laying down like a dead boy, if someone told you he could be on the ice in June, probably, I would not believe these people.’

17. twilighthours says:

Hockey players have heart, but soccer players have footballs in the groins.

And on that note, off to soccer with my daughter

18. UKRAINIANhab says:

Sorry I’m on mobile I can’t reply to comments…

Racism is not in soccer, it is also in Hockey and many many other sports in the world sadly. I think some of us are forgetting what happened to Subban in the series against Boston. The sad reality is that this still exists today. It’s not a reflection of the sport either, it is the human race in general… Yaya Toure who plays for Man City now, said It was almost impossible to play in Russia because of it…

19. twilighthours says:

Hockey players are tougher than soccer players.

There’s more corruption and racism in soccer than hockey.

And my dad can beat your dad.

20. Cal says:

What’s this insane love I’m reading for Ryan “I Did Sweet FA in the Playoffs against the Habs while averaging 20:41 a game” Callahan?
    That kind of performance merits a $6 mil for 7 years term? Hell, I must be worth $5 mil then. I mean, really.
    Vrbata? He’s 33. Let’s look elsewhere.
    Kulemin? 6’1” and 225lbs. He’s 27. To replace Gionta? $3.5mil for 3. Done.

21. UKRAINIANhab says:

With all the Suarez biting talk…

Cheilinni’s diving the entire game takes the cake for me. Absolutely embarrassing to be a fan of Italy or Uruguay today. If a player deserved to be bit it was him :)

54321…until someone complains about my soccer post :)

• twilighthours says:

Not me, man. I don’t want to let a few events or players ruin a beautiful sport. I don’t even play it! But my daughter is learning how and it’s so much fun to watch. To play it well you need skill, fitness, smarts… you need the total package.

Now baseball, on the other hand….

• BJ says:

The worst part of soccer is the resurrection scenarios the players put on. They are close to a total decapitation and suddenly the have a Max Pac spontaneous healing. The world champs are the Italian Womens Diving team that got taken out today. Italy is the only team I cannot cheer for.

22. SC-1993 says:

Kulemin is basically a 15-20 goal scorer really a 3rd liner, if you are looking for a 3rd line left winger, maybe he’s your man. like I have said if we want to be more than a playoff team for the next 5-10 years we have to bring in players that can win a cup, so far we haven’t done that, just proved it back in may and if you really look at the big picture it wasn’t about how good a team we were, it was about how things went down and we did well.

• Habfan17 says:

I would say that MB has started to do just that. Weise proved he is a player who helps you win! Even in the play offs. Now they need more players like him and of course some like him with top line skill.

Habfan17

23. Habitant in Surrey says:

I only woke up after a very long night and early morning. I see the petition has hit 356 in 8 hours or so. Not bad.

Let’s network through Facebook, Twitter and Gawd knows what other networking mediums that are out there, to try to get this puppy up to 1000 by the 24 hour mark.

Proud of You Guyz ! :)

____________________________________________________

Scott Moore is President of Sportsnet and NHL Hockey for Rogers.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

24. tophab says:

I wish the habs would stop treating subban so shabby, are they trying to make him leave?why is he not signed? no other team benches their best players when they make a mistake and they all make mistakes.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Relax. He’ll be the last one signed, as his contract is the most complex.

• mksness says:

8 years 64m . should be easy. little negotiating and he ends up with 8 years at 7.6m a year.

mind you if i were him i would structure my contract with signing bonuses that are triggered by date. just in case of another strike or buyout you get all your cash:-)

6m signing bonus every year and 1.6m in salary.

• tophab says:

he should be first signed.

• habs-fan-84 says:

No, he shouldn’t. Naturally, if it’s the most complex contract to negotiate you want to have as much time as possible (to get it right). Thus, you get the smaller and easier deals out of the way first, then you have the rest of the summer to primarily focus on the Subban file.

• tophab says:

so we should wait for some team to sign him for 11 mil 7 years 77 mil and we will have to match?

• habs-fan-84 says:

That isn’t going to happen. However, in theory you’re correct.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Shabby?
      Subban is under contract with the Habs until June 30th.
      This is Business!

After that, if he is not happy, he can sign an Offer Sheet with another team, and if the Habs match the exact Offer, he remains a Hab.

If that is not his desire, he can take the Habs to Arbitration and secure a 1 year contract (or 2 years if the Habs want 2 years)

Michael Corleone said it best:
      ” It’s not personal – It’s strictly business”

• Loop_Garoo says:

they are not treating him shabby, it will get done. Every team benches players, even good ones from time to time. We have all seen it done to everyone from Ovechkin to White.

• Phil C says:

I would think RFAs are the last priority. Right now they should be focused on the draft and free agency. They have all summer to negotiate with Subban and the other RFAs.

25. nunacanadien says:

What is this about Subban signing with the Laffs?

26. The Jackal says:

Football is a great sport! It is indeed the beautiful game.

Yeah, it had its warts and bad moments but so does every sport. I always embarrassed at the NHL for one reason or another, but I love hockey and the sport played at the NHL level.

As for diving and players’ attitudes, that’s a very hypocritical point because players in every sport are always trying to sell calls and get the foul and to that end they embellish to get the refs’ attention.

In football, the distance from player to official tends to be quite a lot and with such a large playing field, it is hard for officials to get a good look at the play, so players have to embellish the foul in order to make it more visible for the ref.
    As for attitude… That’s just a North American myth about footballers. The NBA and NFL have as many characters and divas but we don’t label them pansies. And that brings me to the dramatics, which is tied to the point about embellishment. A lot of the time it does hurt that much to be fouled, other times it is more strategic in order to buy time or an advantage by getting a call. Again, this happens all the time in every other sport. You don’t have to like it and many fans frown upon it but it’s not a reason to disparage the sport.

There’s a lot of skill and strategy in football that makes the game extremely interesting but it may take time to “get it” for people in non-football cultures and who did not play the sport.

27. Maritime Ronn says:

songles says:
    ———-
    Not quite sure Chicago needs a # 2 center as they have a very good young one in Andrew Shaw
    22 years old-20 goals last year, and a friendly $2M Cap Hit for the next 2 years before he becomes an RFA…
    Shaw ended up getting hurt in the playoffs.

As you state, the Hawks are in Cap distress…even this year.
    If the Cap goes to $70M, they have only about $3.5M left and need to sign a back-up goalie and at least 1 forward.
    That gets them 21 signed roster players only.
    Usually teams have the maximum 23 players signed because of injury situations…

Next year will be a huge challenge. (UFAs Toews-Kane-RFAs Saad-Kruger-Leddy…)

While many would believe this is impossible, the huge anchor is Marian Hossa…and the Hawks have some decisions to make regarding him.

He turns 36 in January, yet has 7 MORE years of a $5.275M Cap Hit.
    Buy him out now with a Compliance Buyout with no future Cap repercussions, or wait until next year with very large Cap hits and Recapture Cap hits for several years.
    His 2 goals in the playoffs was a disappointment…

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Makes no sense to trade a $6 million Sharpe to get a $5 million Pleks. You trade Sharpe to get younger (and cheaper) prospects.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Totally agree DDO

Not to forget is that Sharp is also an assistant Captain on a team that has the best Captain in hockey being JT along with another A in Duncan keith

• Phil C says:

It would only cost them $15M to buy him out, so they should probably do it. As you say, with the recapture rule, a buyout is not a practical option after this month, so they would need him to retire or they are stuck with the caphit.

• mksness says:

more likely to buy out hossa

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Phil & mks

Amazing how the Business of Hockey is getting in the way of the Game of Hockey (Brad Richards…)

Hossa is a wonderful hockey player, yet as we see, the Hawks are in Cap trouble with him.
        The Hawks have done an incredible job as most players are way below the Cap Hit they could earn.
        That changes next year

• mksness says:

well i guess it all depends on the contracts given to kane and toews.

also depends on how much longer they thing hossa will play. but they’re likely to get dinged in the last 2 years of the contract assuming he retires early. but then again that would be in 5 years with most likely higher revenues and a higher cap. so might not be a big deal especially if they think they can win one more cup in the next 3 years.

• Habfan17 says:

Then then MB could make a call and see if the Hawks would trade Hossa and retain some of his salary.

Habfan17

• Chris says:

I don’t know about that Hossa buyout…the Blackhawks are one of the teams that were on the NHL’s watch list for attempts to circumvent the salary cap. They need to tread VERY carefully if they buyout Hossa, because that contract should have been treated like that of Kovalchuk, but somehow the Blackhawks got away with it.

• mksness says:

does anything in the cba say that the contract can be reviewed if it’s bought out? i don’t think they have anything to worry about. besides NJ didn’t really get punished

• Maritime Ronn says:

Agreed Chris – they got away with it (past), but this is 2014 and the Hawks have the new ‘Legal’ CBA option to do so until June 30th.

28. Curtoph says:

As more people contemplate what to do this coming season and those who watch on their computers look into VLC links on the r/hockey subreddit as it is HD stream links played within a media player on your computer, it is not too complicated and there isn’t anything sketchy about it. Hope me spreading this word can save fellow habs fans some coin.

29. UKRAINIANhab says:

Gionta > Kulemin.

if I read one post saying we should get Kulemin I will be angry!

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

we should get kulemin ….

seriously, I would be ok with 4 years/12 mil for NK. Not expecting him to score 30 again, but putting him with Eller and Bourque moving RW and you these guys light it up AND grind the other team to pulp.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Maritime Ronn says:

Why would you dismiss Kulemin?

Only 3 years ago before Randy Carlyle arrived, he scored 30 goals/57 points and was +7 on a lousy Leafs team.
      (Phil the Thrill was Minus -20 that same year with 32 goals)

Do you know something about his character you would like to share… or the reason why he would make you angry?

27 years old – 6’1″225 – physically strong and can play both wings and understands a 200 ft. game…..

• on2ndthought says:

sorry U-hab, but I agree with 2minutes and Ronn here. Kulemin has always looked solid, smart, strong to me; maybe not gifted. I’d take him for 3 or 4 at 3 to 3.5 M/year; move him up or down depth chart as prospects develop

“a cannonading drive”

30. on2ndthought says:

whoever signs Callahan is getting into a Clarkson.

Jeremy Gregoire just got an invite (with Fucale) to the WJC Canadian camp. He is looking like a diamond in the rough 6th rounder for Timmins/Bergevin. Might top out as a third line center but his stats last year are impressive: 65 games, 35 goals, 69 points, +25!, 84 pim

“a cannonading drive”

• bwoar says:

The kind of player Callahan is vs. the kind of player Clarkson is makes the comparison more than shaky.

• on2ndthought says:

not so different, clarkson actually has the size to play that crashing style for a few more years. Callahan has heart, but he’s probably ready to fall apart about now

“a cannonading drive”

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Callahan looks like a better player all round than Clarkson…going back in Clarkson’s years he only had one season where he scored well….like so many if these guys one year gets them the big contract on a team that can’t support their play and they crash.

31. UKRAINIANhab says:

I LOVE futbool

Embarrassed to say that after that game today.

Yuck.

32. JF says:

I get that it’s hard for Habs fans to be patient, especially after the quantum leap the team has taken in the last two years. We’re on the cusp of joining the elite teams, and fans want that next step to happen now. But we can’t hurry our prospects; if they’re not ready, they’re not ready. On defence, Beaulieu certainly looks to be ready, and both Tinordi and Pateryn are close. But up front, there is no one who is less than at least a year away unless Andrighetto or De La Rose show in September that they’re close. It is both difficult and expensive to get scoring through UFA signings or trades, so we can’t look for long-term solutions there, although I think Bergevin will find someone to replace at least part of Vanek’s contribution.

So we have no choice but to be patient. The Leafs are a good example of what happens when you’re not. They’ve overpaid for free agents like David Clarkson, given big contracts to the wrong players like Dion Phaneuf, traded assets for players they thought were key but will now have trouble keeping (David Bolland), and are apparently ready to give up on two young players who should be part of their core (Nazem Kadri and Jake Gardiner). Instead of following a long-term plan, Nonis seems to be grasping at straws each year to improve his team in the short term, with the result that he simply squanders assets while the Leafs tread water.

Marc Bergevin is carrying out his plan, which means drafting well, developing our young players, and building the right balance between experienced veterans and youth, and between speed and skill, size and toughness. It takes time; Bergevin has had only two years. It took the Kings nearly a decade.

• Paz says:

Trading Colberg and our 2nd rounder for Vanek showed no patience.

Let’s call it for what it was.

• JF says:

OK, but the situation warranted it. We had a chance to go deep in the playoffs. We did go deep, and the experience will be invaluable. That’s not what the Leafs are doing.

• Luke says:

It showed, not a lack of patience, but the willingness to take a calculated risk.

• Paz says:

It showed that Bergevin will trade patience for the possibility of winning. So would I.

• Luke says:

At some point you have to, I agree.

Ie: Iginla for Nieuwendyk.

And Colberg ain’t no Iginla.

Hindsight… 20/20 and 24/7…

(and I’m not a even Vanek fan and wasn’t keen on the deal).

• Paz says:

Our GM trades his 2nd rounder and one of his best young scoring prospects for a scorer who will become a free agent.

There’s no hindsight here.

There’s no ambiguity here.

There’s no patience in that move. Period.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

It probably made the Habs management a few more millions of $ though for the deep playoff run they had. With asome luck on tjier side they may have went to the finals where they would have needed more than luck to win.

• twilighthours says:

And here’s another thing: Collberg certainly doesn’t look like a scoring prospect. He had a nice WJC once. And that’s about it.

• myron.selby says:

The impression I have was that they had decided that Collberg was no longer seen as one of their top prospects. He really hasn’t shown anything much since they drafted him. He seems to be struggling to find any offence and I doubt that would improve playing against NHL opposition.

• myron.selby says:

There is another way of looking at this – if Vanek set his alarm clock so he didn’t sleep through most of 3 playoff rounds he would have been a complete steal. Not to mention that there would have been a reasonable chance MB could have locked him up long term had they gone to the final. At that point it would have gone down as one of the all time great trades instead of just a really good one (which it was).

33. naweed235 says:

Chris Stewart. Get it done please. I’d be willing to part ways with Beaulieu if that’s what it takes

34. habs-fan-84 says:

I get tired of the inferiority complex North American’s have towards football (soccer). We get it, hockey players are tougher than footballers. That is all, carry on :D

• Chris says:

Meh…I feel the same way about golf and baseball as many here feel about soccer, while the NFL and the NBA are increasingly heading that way. All are various shades of unwatchably awful for me, but a lot of people I know love some of those, so what can you do.

• Hobie says:

I don’t think it’s an inferiority complex. I think a lot of people in North America are just baffled how people can respect and take soccer so seriously when players act they way they do? I often wonder how the entire crowd doesn’t burst out laughing sometimes?

• Luke says:

And yet watching hockey you get to see the same dramatics and embellishments but with facepunching and headshotting mixed in.

I’m not a soccer/futbol fan, to be honest, but there is no high ground for the hockey fans to stand on.

• Hobie says:

Not even close. Occasionally, as in once a month or even longer, you get a hockey player pretending he’s hurt. It happens every five minutes in soccer. Hockey players will fake getting tripped or hooked to draw a penalty. They don’t get carried off in a stretcher for getting a scratch on their knee or breaking a toe nail.

I never said there was a high ground for hockey fans to stand on either btw.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Hobie…hockey is full of embellishment…all teams have the ones that play thaat game…some more than others but it is there and willbe until they start to pay attention to it more. If you think it only happens once a month…well that can take in dozens and dozens of games well you are not paying much attention

• Hobie says:

I never said there wasn’t embellishment in hockey. I’m talking about pretending you’re injured! Read my comment. Soccer players roll around on the ground and carry on and on. It happens every 2-5 minutes in soccer. If a hockey player gets a tug on the leg he’ll occasionally embellish a bit to get a call. A soccer player agets a toe on the back of his heel and he automatically rolls around for five minutes before getting carried off on a stretcher.

• twilighthours says:

While it’s macho to play hockey, it’s even more macho to argue about which sport is more macho.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I get tired of the superiority complex and B.S. from those trying to convince me I should watch soccer which merely interferes with my enjoying watching the grass grow. So I guess we’re even. Cheers.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Phil C says:

I think the reason there is so much diving in soccer is because they don’t have delayed penalties, so you only get the call if you go down. I remember seeing Robben on a breakaway four years ago and he was practically mugged from behind, but he was able to get a shot off,so the ref let the play go. I was thinking he should have gone down to get the penalty kick.

35. Phil C says:

I’m still scratching my head on the Hartnell trade. Philly should have been able to get Umberger for almost nothing as Columbus was considering a buyout. Why give up Hartnell?

The only way this trade makes sense is if Hartnell had zero interest from other teams, so they were both swapping bad contracts with both sides gambling a little bit on the incoming player. I knew Umberger had fallen out of favour in Columbus but has Hartnell’s stock fallen that much?

It will be interesting to see what other moves Hextall has up his sleeve.

36. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I love soccer but it has become a joke. Today’s Italy game is just another example. I’ve never watched a sport with so much to dislike. Crooked organization, horrible refs, whining, diving, cheap-shots, selfish play, arrogant/unlikeable stars…just terrible.

• Hobie says:

You forgot racism too DDO. Remember the PK Subban Boston thing six or so weeks ago. That wouldn’t even be a blip on the radar in the soccer world. The Italians and their fans over there are super racist. Scary.

• Mavid ® says:

funny that you say that..Sunday night my husband and I went to a sports bar for dinner they had soccer on every TV. USA was playing Portugal..We never watch soccer but we decided to watch for a bit seing it was on. We were both shocked and amazed at how many times the players fell clutching their ankles. They roll around on the field like they are dying only to be back in the game a short time later. Now I remember why I never watch it..just as you say whinning, diving, and cheap shots..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Soccer is the perfect new sport for those who figure their poop doesn’t smell. Isn’t there a SoccerInsideOut blog where they can congratulate themselves on their innate superiority and stop trying to convince us knuckle draggers how wrong we are?

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

37. Say Ash says:

lol Suarez actually bit an Italian player. I love the World Cup!

38. songles says:

How about… Plekanec and a 1st for Patrick Sharp? Fills Chicago’s need for a #2 center without exacerbating their impending cap issues, and fills our need for a first line RW.

It’s just hard to imagine Chicago giving up their top scorer…

Edit: Or does Sharp typically play LW?

• bwoar says:

I would do it tomorrow, probably not Chicago.

• Chris says:

Sharp can play any forward position.

I don’t think the Blackhawks would be particularly interested in Plekanec.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The Blackhawks have one more season left of an excellent salary cap situation where most of their team is still signed. Next summer they will have to start shedding salary, not now. They need to go for it now and trade a prospect or two to get that second line center. Not sure they want Pleks. I would be happy getting Saad for Pleks but never going to happen.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

In a heartbeat. Chicago won’t do it though.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

39. punkster says:

As an aside…I’m trying with this FIFA thing. I really am trying. I can put up with the long periods of lateral passes, the out of bounds delays…but the diving, the embellishment, the writhing in pain… man that is just so childish.

Release the Subbang!!!

• Rugger says:

I tried too, lasted to half time of the first USA game and gave up. The diving, abuse of the officials etc makes it hard to watch.

• Hobie says:

I watched a chunk of the USA Vs Portugal game. Portugal scores the 1st goal and the guy who scores starts sucking his thumb? What the hell was that?

With the theatrics, mannerisms and all the weird stuff that goes on it seems as though European soccer players are much more in touch with their feminine side than North American athletes?

• Mavid ® says:

LOL see my post above..seems there are a few of us that feel that way..I love hockey..period

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

If Florida trades their 1st overall pick they will live to regret it.

Just because the CBA says 7 year deals are the max doesn’t mean teams have to give that much term. Especially for guys like Vanek or Callahan.

MB needs to cool his jets during the next ten days. He realistically only has one pick in the draft and also needs to sign a RW. Those two moves might be good enough until August when the basement bargain players get signed.

24 Cups

41. John Q Public says:

Call me crazy but why do the olympic teams get rings ?
    I thought it was about the medal.

42. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Eller is 25 so he is close to free agency. Whatever his worth is now, if the Habs want to lock him up into his UFA years, they will have to pay more now for future savings. Another reason why I think Pleks will be dealt.

43. CHicoHab says:

Habsfan0- I’m in Vaughan. I thought all French stations were part of varieties. That’s good to know. Thanks

44. bwoar says:

@ Forum Dog re Callahan:

I’d like to give him the 7 years like so:

8 7 7 6.5 5.5 4 3 with an average cap hit of 5.86M.

That 5.5M in year 5 might bite us, but if he’s hurt at that point, there buyout isn’t as terrible, and if he needs to transition from the top line at age 34 the last 2 years of his contract aren’t totally crazy.

• Loonie says:

I still wouldn’t rule out Vanek coming back. Therrien has to keep Pacioretty and Desharnais together as long as Desharnais is here to ensure production offensively from both so I’m not so sure there should be a big hesitation in bringing Vanek back with the idea that he must play with them. The team is going to have some serious cap flexibility in the next five or so years and if Vanek is looking for a good place for his family, a chance to win and a reasonable salary relative to his skill set and the market it may have to be here.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If I got demoted to the 4th line in the Eastern Conference Finals, I would not want to come back to that team…no? Curious to see if the Islanders re-offer him $49 mil/7 years. Don’t think Minnesota will take him unless he takes a big discount.

• Loonie says:

I think that money, winning and a good place for his family has been his priority and that the Rangers, Wild and Avalanche are probably the only teams other than the Habs who can offer a combination of or all of the three.

• bwoar says:

I haven’t closed that book either, but I don’t know what the coaches would do with him when the funk hits. I’d like to explain away his listless stretches as an injury but his post-playoff comments left us all pretty cold. That kind of attitude is easy to hide in Buffalo, surrounded by Pomminville, younger Briere etc, but I don’t think Tomas Vanek truly ever plays for the crest on his chest.

When it clicked, that line was dynamite, but can it click in the playoffs? It’s at least as much of a risk as Callahan. I think his asking price will be a determining factor.

For the record I’d take high-skill over high-grit, but, the grit must come from somewhere when it counts, and that line dropped off badly.

• SC-1993 says:

Vanek is a very good regular season player, just not meant for the playoffs if the price is right he can help get us there, we’re a long ways from winning a Stanley Cup he can help while we are still rebuilding…

• Loonie says:

The team wouldn’t have beaten Boston without Vanek. His playoff scoring pace is only slightly below his regular season pace, which is to be expected given the increase in quality of competition.

Not for 7M it isn’t.

• Loonie says:

Owners have a hard time forgetting that a player was a huge factor in them getting an extra seven(or more)million in revenue that they otherwise wouldn’t have acquired without that player.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I wouldn’t mind Callahan playing with Max and DD as he crashes the net at will. Can take draws for DD too and is excellent on the PK. However, his style leads to injuries which worries me. Plus he seems to want way too much money.

• bwoar says:

It’s a risk, but anyone we try to put there right now, anyone available anyhow, is a risk. Maybe Vanek’s a better one. But there’s not much out there. If signing Markov is the indicator I think it is, MB is trying to open The Window and there will be a risk involved. Several over the next 2 years, of that I am sure.

• Forum Dog says:

If they can front-load it to bring down the cap-hit, I think I’d be good. They would need to do some serious due-diligence though. 7 years is a long time, and who knows what type of player Callahan is at age 33-36. He would definitely help them now and, like you said before, would be a great RW compliment to Pacioretty. Sniper-Playmaker-Digger is usually a recipe for success….

Can’t recall what NYR offer Callahan rejected, but I feel like it was in the $6M range. MTL would probably have to be at that in order to be in the running, especially given the tax structure in Quebec. Of course, there is also the issue of whether or not Callahan would wan’t to play there, which is far from a given. He might want to go and play with Tavares!

45. DipsyDoodler says:

If you want a comparable for Lars Eller, two players drafted in the same year with similar number of NHL games played and points are Nick Bonino and Mickael Backlund.

Backlund is still on his last RFA deal at $1.5M.

Bonino just signed a three year deal for $1.9M.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

46. SC-1993 says:

Moves with this team is always a surprise, have patients and you may get a surprise like trade deadline with Vanek, Never know with MB.

47. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I was not crazy about signing Markov to a three year deal but I completely understand as they could not replace his offensive production and TOI. If Markov stays healthy, at worst he will become like Sergei Gonchar: one-dimensional but still dangerous offensively. Hopefully MB can get a real RH D-man to play with him because Emelin is not it.

One thing I would completely not understand at all is resigning Gionta: a 5’7″ 35 year old forward. Is this what the Habs need??? With DD and Briere still on the team, it is a no-brainer to let him go. The best forwards during the playoffs were Eller, Bourque and Weise (I wonder what they have in common…). With the apparent lack of change on D, they need large forwards to help Price and the D. The Habs need to move on from the Gainey era…enough already.

• Loonie says:

Desharnais didn’t find the scoresheet a lot in the playoffs but he was full marks in my opinion.

Bourque and Weise scored timely goals, much like Gaborik and Williams in Los Angeles. I wouldn’t venture to say that either Gaborik or Williams were the Kings’ best players in the playoffs. Though I’m sure many would argue it.

48. CHicoHab says:

Habsfan0—-I left my subscription to “Varieties” running. When season starts including exhibition I’ll gage what’s blacked out and not blacked out. I get as you did both RDS and TVA in HD. Going to wait and see.

49. habsonly says:

Been reading about the RDS blackouts effecting southern Ontario, does anyone know how the blackouts effect the northern part of Ontario?
    I’m in Timmins which is northeastern portion of Ontario.
    I have been watching the Habs on RDS for years, not liking what I’m hearing or reading about this blackout.

50. B says:

An article from June 11th on what Tim Bozon and his family went through:

–Go Habs Go!–

51. B says:

Should Eller get more than the $2.5M avg per season that 20 goal scorer Schenn got?

–Go Habs Go!–

• habstrinifan says:

If you were Eller would you take 2.5M? The true value of Eller may still be open to some discussion. But that is largely NOT the fault of Eller but the manner in which he is used, which does not allow for complete judgement.

But I take you back to the question. If you were Lars Eller and his agent, what would you come away with as far as how the team’s management view/appreciate you if their offer to you is 2.5m.

Would that inspire you to want to stay or go elsewhere.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• Habfan17 says:

I would say they need to offer him somewhere close to what DD is making. They were close in average ice time, but DD got PP time and played with prime talent. Yes, DD had twice as many points, again, look at PP time and line mates. Eller gets tough minutes on the PK and lesser line mates. Hopefully that changes this season.

Habfan17

• Forum Dog says:

There is no way he should expect more than that. Both Killorn and Schenn have now re-upped at roughly the same money and he is neither better nor proven any more than either of them.

52. Thurston says:

As I live in southern Ontario and thus will be blacked out from watching Habs games on RDS, I guess I’m not going to be watching much hockey this season. I won’t support anyone but the Habs and will not tune in to any other broadcast, particularly now that we Habs fans outside of Quebec and the Maritimes have been shat on.
    But hey, at least Bettman & Co. have billions of dollars from Canada to play with.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

i also live in Southern Ontario. For me to get access to all of the games, I’d have to subscribe to TVA (9 months at $7/month) plus NHL Centre Ice ($160). That’s $252 including tax, or a 417% increase over what I paid for 82 games + preseason + playoffs last season.

Hab fans want choice! Sign the petition to give us back our games!

• B says:

If you get Center Ice, why would you need TVA Sports? I also believe that all the games shown on TVA sports will also be on HNIC, City and SN.

If RDS or someone else was to buy up all the rights needed to create a Habs channel to broadcast all of the Habs games, how much do you think that channel would have to cost in order for them to make any money off of it? Is there really a business case for that? I understand the frustration, but I am still not sure how people expect this to happen.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Centre Ice only carries games from “regional” broadcasters; in this case, RDS. Since the TVA games are national coverage, they wouldn’t be on Centre Ice. So to get all games, I’d have to purchase both.

Hab fans want choice! Sign the petition to give us back our games!

• B says:

Doesn’t Center Ice show the other team’s coverage of their out of region games? You might have to put up with the other team’s bias from the announcers (or sync it up to a Montreal radio coverage from the interweb) but I think you would get most or perhaps even all Habs games on Center Ice. Can anyone who has subscribed to Center Ice comment more accurately on this?

Edit: As I said above, I also believe that all the games shown on TVA sports will also be in English on HNIC, City and SN. You may not need to spend more $ for TVA Sports, unless you want French coverage for those games (which may also be available from Monteal radio on the interweb for synching). I am just trying to save you some cash here, but that may not be an issue for you. Cheers!

–Go Habs Go!–

• johnnylarue says:

Illegal live streams are still the sincerest form of protest. ;)

53. Chris says:

As for old, slow Andrei Markov, I do find it a bit funny that the team we are supposed to emulate, the two-time Stanley Cup champion LA Kings, saw fit to go with a much slower Robyn Regehr for the past couple of seasons. Matt Greene is also very slow, their #6/7 defenceman.

When Regehr was with Calgary, so many here said that he was done and that he had nothing left in the tank. Yet the Kings saw that he still had experience and positioning. They can cover up for the vulnerabilities of their defencemen (Regehr and Greene are painfully slow, Martinez has struggled in the defensive zone, Doughty takes too many risks at times) by making sure that their forwards play the full 200 feet.

Montreal has too many passengers at forward, especially in the top-9, the guys who play the big minutes against the other team’s top players. Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty and Desharnais are more often than not VERY weak in the defensive zone. Plekanec was not his usual self this season…his man was left open far more than I ever remember. Gionta has lost a step, but the effort is still there. Eller and Bourque can play a solid defensive game, but both are prone to long periods of play where their mind is clearly not on the game.

We can belabor the defencemen all we wish, but I will continue to maintain that they really aren’t the problem they are made out to be. The Kings, the Blues, the Blackhawks, the Bruins…those teams have stayed at the top because the majority of their forwards are big, strong, fast and defensively responsible. Montreal has a ways to go in that department…when it changes, the defencemen will look absolutely fine.

Try to get a clean lick in on Chara/Krug, or Pietrangelo/Bouwmeester, or Keith/Seabrook, or Doughty/Voynov. It is bloody hard…the forwards are going to do everything they can to impede you, get in your way and otherwise prevent you from getting a long run at the defenceman fielding the puck.

In Montreal, Subban and Markov have to deal with a forward steaming in from centre ice with nary a Hab forward impeding his straight line. Opposing forwards treat Montreal’s neutral zone and defensive zone like a drag strip when they are forechecking.

• B says:

LA also had no rookies on the blue line in the playoffs.

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

This Chris, I completely agree with. So, why then are we even considering an extension for Gionta? Effort only takes you so far. At the end of the day, we are still too small. I do not suggest we need to move every player under 6’2″, but it is very hard to compete when you carry so many small players.

Big guys, like Greene, like Mitchell, like Regehr, who are not fleet of foot can take a hit and not become puck shy. Sorry, but I’ve never seen Gorges carry the puck. It touches his stick and it’s gone. I do appreciate that some of that is the result of playing with PK (obviously he will carry the puck as opposed to Gorges), but at times I think we played scared. We have come a long way from Diaz, Weber, etc., but we would do our defence a great service if we could protect them by providing an outlet and occassionally, taking the attack to the opposition.

• Habfan17 says:

I really believe that Gionta needs to go and they need to bring in players like Iginla, Radim Vrbata, Ryan Callahan, or trade for someone that will fit with the core. Not an over the hill bag of bones.

They could also bring in a left winger like Mason Raymond and move Bourque to the right side.

Habfan17

• bwoar says:

Those 2 duos you named absolutely need a hard checker to complete them. You nailed it, the forwards have been weak as a group. I got to wonder how much the system plays into this, though.

54. Mavid ® says:

Imagine Markov playing his entire career as a Hab, that’s such a rare thing these days..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

55. FanSince1969 says:

Any news on Larry Robinson?

Re: Rogers NHL TV Deal

My only hope with this new TV deal is that Rogers eventually realizes they may have bit off more than they can chew. It is a monster of a cheque they need to give to the NHL every season and they are obviously hoping to cash in by getting more than just the TV rights, but also the ability to tie in with cell phones, streaming etc…. I am not a techie kind of person, I never use my cell phone to stream highlights or games. I also am not a person who streams games to watch.

However, from the TV perspective, essentially Rogers will be employing a great deal of TV people, have big production costs for all these games across Canada and may find out that perhaps it is a bit more than they can do. Hopefully portions of the games are sliced off and sold to TSN.

Essentially TVA/Rogers need to find that they are not getting enough bang for their buck and perhaps it is possible that the Habs portion could be sold back to RDS and the blackouts removed. The Habs product I am hoping is worth more to RDS than what TVA will gain with regional coverage. I am probably butchering what I am trying to say, but essentially its all about money, and perhaps RDS can offer enough to Rogers to allow the RDS games to be national instead of regional.

This is not a simple task, but it is what I am hoping for, given the agreement is 12 years.

• habsfan0 says:

I cancelled my RDS “Varietes” package with Rogers approximately 1 week after the Habs were eliminated.
      At this point,it’s completely unknown whether I will renew come the fall.

• B says:

Rogers sold / partnered the Hab’s French national rights for the 32 Sat, Sun and Wed games (plus playoffs) to TVA-Sports for a reported $120M per year. It would be TVA (not Rogers) who “could” sell those games to RDS, but it would cost RDS at least what TVA paid (likely a lot more) to get them. I just don’t see Peladeau doing RDS any favours.

–Go Habs Go!–

Yah I hear you, but it could turn out that RDS sees a dramatic enough drop in subscription/ratings that they can afford to pay TVA that price tag.

I cancelled my RDS already, as there is no reason for me to have it for the upcoming season.

• B says:

It was a really nice run while it lasted, but RDS can no longer get away with relatively cheap national broadcasting rights. That reported $120M per season TVA paid is only for the French national rights to 32 RS games + the playoffs (+ stuff like the all star game and outdoor gimmicky cash grabs). It sucks, but prices just keep going up and up, have you looked at your hydro bill lately… yikes!

–Go Habs Go!–

My Hydro bill was through the roof this month! My first reaction was to call up some distant Mennonite cousins of mine ask them to convert my house to power free like theirs and find a way to make it work!

57. bwoar says:

Let’s give Ryan Callahan his 6.5M.

This is a crazy idea that’s not so crazy. We let Gionta walk, we sign Subban for 8M, Eller for 3.25M, Whitey for his 750K or whatever, and shovel cash at the former Ranger.

This is a better RW for Max/DD than any I’ve heard so far not named Vanek; old enough to lead; keeping Gallagher available for line 2 where he’ll be in a better position to play on Galchenyuk’s wing succeed; Dale Weise can be the 3rd RW and the team will have a bit of turn over without losing it’s two way mojo.

Max/DD/RC
    Briere-Galchenyuk-Gallagher (Deal with it)
    Bourque-Eller-Weise
    Prust-White-Bournival
    Moen

Bourque or Bournival may earn duty on line 2 as we go.

Plekanec turned over somehow. SOMEONE has to be let go from last year’s group. He gets my pick for possible return and general playoff ineptitude for many years. If you really hate Briere we could find a LW for that spot. But c’mon, the guy needs to play.

Crazy?

I would rather overpay for Callahan than underpay for Gionta. Does that make sense?

• bwoar says:

That was the moment of clarity I had last night. That signing Gionta to 3M still wouldn’t be a step forward. It’d be another Briere type contract. Better to pony up for a guy who can actually fill the vacant top-RW spot. That line needs either a gifted scorer (Gaborik will be n/a and Vanek, no thanks) or a hard forechecker who can contribute. Callahan fits of the bill.

• CJ says:

Yes, I agree with this completely. You overpay for quality. It should NOT be a question of ability versus availability.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Successful GM’s won’t over pay for anything…if yo uoverpay in one spot you have to underpay in another…..not a good recipe for success likely…develop draft picks…..draft smart…that’s the key to success….no ?

• CJ says:

I agree that drafting and developing is the recipe for sustained success. However, when the asset matures, you ultimately pay for their real potential. Toews and Kane will be great examples, as both will reset the bar for extensions going forward. Even the most prudent GM’s, will, at some point, be forced to overpay for quality. Overpayment is a subjective term. Perhaps I should say, pay more then exisitng market value.

• Forum Dog says:

I like this idea, just not at $6.5 over 7 years. It’s too much for a guy who has never scored 30, is approaching 30 (years old), and plays a hard physical game despite being somewhat undersized. It has diminishing returns written all over it, and a $6.5 hit will affect their ability to get younger guys (Beaulieu, Galchenyuk) locked up 3-4 years from now.

If they could get him for something more like $5.5M, I’d say sure. But others are probably willing to spend more….

• bwoar says:

I doubt he’ll actually get that 7 year team. As a UFA at that salary he’s much more likely to get offers for 3-4 years, and eventually sign with a team giving him 5. I totally agree that 6.5M for 6-7 years…. that would be too far. I’m pretty skeptical any GM out there is going to do that though.

But hey, they regularly prove their own insanity.

• Forum Dog says:

Well, if they could get him for 3-4 years, that is another story. I also wouldn’t mind if they offered him a 7 year term at a lesser number (i.e. $5.5M).

I have to think he (Callahan) is aiming for term given his age and his style of play. But I agree that he is exactly the type of RW to compliment Pacioretty.

Clarkson’s contract last summer is an example of the craziness. Every summer it happens, every summer we think the GM’s have learned from the past. Every summer we find out they haven’t. So just as quickly as I am endorsing your move of Callahan, I would hate if our GM is the one to make the bonehead UFA signing of the summer…..

Guess I will just sit back and watch, and continue to believe that in the longrun I think MB knows what he is doing.

• Forum Dog says:

The Clarkson contract is the epitomy of FA insanity. While I don’t think the team that signs Callahan will suffer the same fate as the Leafs, your point is a good one.

58. theflukester says:

Wow 3 years for old slow Markov. Unbelievable. What’s next Gionta for 5 years? So much for the young talent having a chance.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

• bwoar says:

Eh, their change will come. Beaulieu will have a spot, and one at a time is enough.

• theflukester says:

I guess so eh… Shame I thought MB would turn this club around but instead he’s more interested in making rich players richer. But I guess the statement is true, this is a business more than a sport.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

I want to thank the person who turned me on to the NHL.com streamed games hack via VLC Player on the Reddit boards.

I’ve been able to watch any NHL game live since.

60. Chris says:

I honestly don’t get why so many draft prognosticators are so down on Aaron Ekblad…the kid’s play in the OHL was right there with guys like Doughty, Subban or Pietrangelo. He’s big, he’s mobile, he’s got a great shot, he’s physical, he is a leader. He was good enough to play on the World Junior team as a 17 year old they seem pretty sour on him.

That World Junior note is important…in the last 25 years, only 5 defencemen played for Canada as 17 year olds: Aaron Ekblad in 2014, Ryan Ellis in 2009, Jay Bouwmeester in 2000 and 2001, Chris Phillips in 1996, and Scott Niedermayer in 1991.

Other than Ellis, who is undersized for the NHL, the other guys all went on to have excellent NHL careers. Ekblad will too.

• bwoar says:

I wonder what we’d have to give up to get that pick. I think it gets traded this year, I’m interested to see how that shakes down.

Plus and but and in spite of that, who the heck picks a defenseman first overall? A mook, that’s who.

• Chris says:

You pick the player that is most likely to turn into the elite player. And that is Aaron Ekblad in this year’s draft.

All-around defencemen are rare commodities. Right-handed shooting all-around defencemen are even more rare.

If I had any doubt about Ekblad, I could understand the worry…but he’s got everything. I just hope that he doesn’t fall to Buffalo…that would be my nightmare scenario.

As for the pick, Vancouver’s offer was rumoured to be their #6 pick in this year’s draft, Hunter Shinkaruk (a good offensive prospect drafted #24 last year) and a roster forward.

• bwoar says:

Vancouver will never get it done with that deal, unless the roster forward is Ryan Kesler.

From a Habs perspective it’s more like: 1st, Beaulieu, Gallagher (and hope they take Plekanec instead.) Again, I don’t see it happening.

And I won’t be the mook who picks a defenseman #1 either. Sorry Chris but the ‘right’ thing to do is all-too-often a big fat mistake.

• Chris says:

Personally, I think the forwards in this draft are significantly weaker than previous years, and Ekblad is significantly better than defencemen in recent years (including Seth Jones). If there were a year to pick a defenceman first overall, this is probably it. There are holes in the game of all the top guys, but Ekblad’s are tiny compared to everybody else.

I wasn’t aware any were down on him, everything I have heard is the universal agreement that Ekblad goes #1 overall. To me that is a compliment to him.

• Chris says:

Not even close to universal agreement. Sam Bennett, Leon Draisatl, Aaron Ekblad and Sam Reinhart are all in the running for #1, depending on team needs. Most have Ekblad as #1, but others have him as low as #4.

The comment that bugged me was the following:

“And where MacKinnon, Barkov and Drouin were projected as first-line forwards and Jones was projected a likely No. 1 defenceman – destined for greatness — this year’s crop of forwards is projected more as second liners with defenceman Ekblad perhaps getting “top pairing” billing though not necessarily a future dynamic No. 1. Good, maybe very good, but not necessarily great.”

• Thurston says:

Ekblad seems to be a nice kid too. I met him last Friday when he was picking up the suit he’ll be wearing to the draft.

• Chris says:

Very well liked around the league…he is a pretty classy act on and off the ice. Gudbranson was the other extreme…not at all liked around the league.

And then there is Corey Perry, who was universally hated outside of London.

• CJ says:

Ekblad will be the first overall selection.

• CH Marshall says:

They’re down on him in hopes that GMs will be fooled by their hype, pass on him, and that he’ll land with the Leafs

61. marvin20 says:

I live in the GTA and used RDS on Rodgers to see all Hab games. What are my options for 2014/2015 season. I’m not going to buy center ice. the only team I follow is Montreal.

62. Habshire says:

As far as I’m concerned there should be no blackouts to any Canadian team. Who is responsible for these blackouts:
    – Sports stations?
    – Cable companies?
    – CRTC?
    – Local teams?
    – Advertising sponsors?
    – NHL?
    – The Illuminati?

The only thing they understand is $. I just cancelled Sportsnet. Unfortunately that meant TSN as well and I love to watch the CFL. If enough people cancel their sports package maybe the people responsible will rethink their logic. Short term pain for long term gain. I know it will never happen but I do dream.

I wonder if RDS calculated how many westerners would cancel their station before signing their regional deal. They indicated they were going to lose money on each game. TSN did not find it feasible to sign up for Habs English regional rights.

• B says:

I believe that games are blacked out when a nationally available channel only has regional rights to a game they are broadcasting. They can only broadcast what they have paid to have the right to broadcast.

The exception to this is the NHL Center Ice package which does the opposite, they block out the regional viewing area. From their website:

“Blackout restrictions exist to protect the local telecasters of each NHL game in the local markets of the teams. Keep in mind that blackout policies and restrictions are different for every sports package that your system may carry. (NHL CENTER ICE is designed for the NHL fan who wants to see NHL games in addition to those which involve the team(s) in their local markets).”

–Go Habs Go!–

• Habshire says:

Exactly. I think they believe if you are not allowed to watch your preferred team that you will instead support the local team which we all know is baloney.

The CFL used to think if they did not blackout games in the local market people would not go to the games. Now all the games are televised and people still go.

63. Paz says:

As usual, I have to agree with Chris that Goldobin should be our pick if he’s available. Played in Sarnia with Chucky, and then put up bigger numbers last year without Galchenyuk.

Defensive awareness can be taught, but offensive creativity and skills are much more difficult to improve.

We have so many forwards who can play 3rd and 4th line, lets go after the offence. If it works, he could be on a line with Galchenyuk for the next 10 years.

• CJ says:

I agree Eddie. I don’t know that he will still be on the board at 26 – provided we stay at 26, but I would like the potential upside and would be willing to live with the downside risk (although, they should be said for almost any draft pick).

• Chris says:

Anybody in the 20’s has a pretty big down-side. For Corey Perry, it was his attitude. For Zach Parise, it was his size. etc.

But Goldobin has the goods: great shot, great skater, great offensive awareness. As Ed said, you can teach offence. If Goldobin is still on the board at 26, and he is slotted in somewhere in that neigbourhood, I would draft him in a heartbeat.

• Loonie says:

Funny how that worked out well with the Pacioretty pick.

64. chanchilla says:

hockeystreams it is this year again i think..

65. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

I wonder how Geoff Molson feels about his team’s exposure being cut-off to 3/4 of the country. And the folks at RDS who are looking at everyone west of Ottawa dumping their service, since pretty much the only reason that anyone outside of the province has RDS is for the Canadiens games. Their subscription rates are going to plummet.

Hab fans want choice! Sign the petition to give us back our games!

66. dexterdog says:

VANEK is German for MOOSENUT.

• chanchilla says:

haha i’d be mad too if i were a flyers fan, maybe if they got a 2nd or third round pick it wouldnt be so bad, but a fourth, terrible trade for the flyers.

• CJ says:

Personally, I think the Flyers are now easier to play against. Unfortunately, I also think Columbus has also gotten better. If you look back to 2011-2012, Montreal and Columbus were two of the worst teams in the entire league. Fast forward three years and we are quickly moving into the top ten.

I wonder what Leafs and Oilers fans think about that?

• Forum Dog says:

I know Hartnell gets a lot of love from the fans and media, but in hockey terms I’m not sure there is that much that separates he and Umberger. Hartnell has a history of providing better offense, but he has also gotten some prime time minutes with prime time players. Umberger has lacked the offensive support, but is still pretty much a lock for 20 goals (and is a better skater).

Without knowing what happens behind the scenes, I imagine part of this deal comes down to numbers. The cap-hit is roughly the same, but Umberger only has 3 years left compared to the 5 left on Bird Dog’s contract.

67. Luke says:

I’m not sure this was posted yesterday, but it probably was, but in case you missssssssed it:

68. PK says:

Off topic … A classic example that Sports can be all business –
    Apparently, LeBron James is going to exercise an early termination clause in his contract and hit Free Agency on July 1st.
    (No, he does not want to sign with the Habs).

Imagine if Crosby could do that …

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

69. Hobie says:

So it looks like we finally have some clarification on the TV schedule. IF you are west of Ottawa you’re pretty much screwed.

From what Pat Hickey writes that must mean Kingston (front) and Belleville (Ian) as part of the group that will no longer get Habs games on RDS. I think both of those gentlemen can fork out the cash for NHL Center Ice or one of the online packages, no big deal for those guys.

For the rest of the country and people who aren’t into spending an additional $200 or $300 on cable per year or don’t like watching hockey with some crappy online stream, you’re pretty much hooped. You’ll be missing about half the Habs games.

I’m actually in Ottawa so the only thing that changes here is a bunch of games will be on TVA or Sportsnet if not on RDS or CBC. I’m not trying to rub it in.

My situation actually improves because CBC Montreal is not in HD in Ottawa on Rogers. So if I wanted to watch the Habs in English on Saturday it was only available in SD or HD on RDS. Those games should all now all be in HD.

Anyway, good luck everybody!

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

We’ll be missing far more than half of the games. I have the option of subscribing to TVA to get 22 games in French, in addition to the 13 in English that will be carried on City-TV and Sportsnet. That’s only 35 of 82 games.

It’s even worse for a friend of mine who’s cable provider is Shaw; they don’t even have the option of getting TVA, so he’s stuck with a measly 13 Hab games this season.

Hab fans want choice! Sign the petition to give us back our games!

• BriPro says:

It won’t be part of the regular TVA network, but rather part of the TVA sports package, which will cost extra. For 18 games…..

• Mavid ® says:

I will have to double check but I am sure Bell offers a French package this includes TVA, RDI, RDS, and some French CBC..I am east of Ottawa so I assume I am ok for TV. Either way I will figure out a way to watch. This XBMC thing works pretty good..HD quality and it’s free..have any of you looked into it?

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Bob_Sacamano says:

There are some pretty decent online streams these days. I have been watching from Europe for years now and the quality last season was very good.

• frontenac1 says:

Hola Hobie! I think we might be ok with RDS down here in The Limestone City as we were always considered Ottawa territory for TV coverage. The line always went from Belleville east. Belleville west was Leaf territory. Here’s hoping. The way I read it, TVA will pick up any slack?

• Kooch7800 says:

That is why I was shocked when people saw the rogers monopoly for years upon years as a good thing. This is all to bleed Canadians of more money to drive up NHL revenue.

I am going to do Hockey Streams on my Android box. NHL gets zero out of that. Rogers bleeds me dry already with my phone, Cable, Internet and Security system. I should get the NHL centre Ice free for all them money they get out of me already

70. twilighthours says:

I’m out of touch. Some kind HIO soul cut right to the chase for me:

I have RDS and TSN. I live in NS. Will I be able to see all 82 Habs’ games next year?

• Hobie says:

I think so, I think all of the Maritimes are considered regional. I think? None will be on TSN though. you will need TVA to get like 20 of them or something.

• B says:

I looked at the now available schedules, and I think this is the breakdown for next season.

RDS new contract has 60 Habs games:
      9 Pre-season.
      1 Saturday afternoon (Jan 31 1:00 PM vs WAS)
      50 on Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri.

Rogers new contract has 32 regular season Habs games (plus all playoffs):
      5 Wednesday on SN
      1 Thursday on SN (Nov 13 vs BOS)
      18 Saturday on HNIC
      1 Saturday on SN (Oct 18 vs COL)
      2 Saturday on City (Oct 11 in PHI, Oct 25 vs NYR)
      4 Sunday on City
      1 Sunday on SN (Feb 8 in BOS)
      [I believe all of the above 32 games are also on TVA-Sports nationally]

–Go Habs Go!–

71. third generation haber says:

Draft is coming in a few days; I always look forward to this!

This year, I’d certainly like to see us draft a power-forward. Trusting in Mackenzie’s rankings, Alex Tuch and McCann will not be available at 26th spot.

Here are 2 prospects (that should be available) which I would be thrilled with, Mackenzie’s final ranking for each, and their profiles:

Brendan Lemieux: 6-1, 210 Rank: 33

Connor Bleakley: 6-1, 195, Rank 29

I’d also be okay with (if he’s available) defensive forward, workhorse Adrian Kempe from Sweden.

There are also offensive Russian players available, but the thought of our 1st rounder disappearing to Russia because he won’t have to pay his dues in the AHL is too scary for me. I want a player who’s only dream is the NHL.

Any thoughts???

j.p. murray

• Bob_Sacamano says:

If Ivan Barbashev is still available I wouldn´t hesitate to draft him. Ever since I first watched Draisaitl I was hoping we´d be in a position to take him. Not going to happen unfortunately. I really hope the Leafs don´t move up to draft him.

• Loop_Garoo says:

I know I have said this before but I really feel that Brendan Lemieux is very overrated. He has not really stood out in any of the Colts games I have seen this year, would take him in the 3rd if still available, but really cannot understand why he is ranked so high. Does not seem to have any one thing that he does incredibly well, and has as a best case scenario, a 3rd line winger ceiling. Nothing wrong with a good 3rd liner, but in the first round would rather go for a the big potential.

• Chris says:

Agreed…Brendan Lemieux has been somewhat pedestrian whenever I have seen him.

Nikolay Goldobin is the kind of massive potential player that could be available, and I would love to grab him. If Robby Fabbri were still there, I’d have to consider it even though I don’t know that he’s a great fit…the kid is a sniper with great wheels.