Habs sign Fournier, three more prospects; camp ends Sunday

Fournier14136

Halifax Mooseheads captain Stefan Fournier, in action leading his team to the Memorial Cup this spring.
Courtesy Halifax Mooseheads

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin was busy Saturday, signing four players.

Free-agent forward Stefan Founier signed a three-year entry-level contract, and on his Twitter account he called it a “childhood dream come true” to put his name on the Habs’ dotted line.

screen-capture-9

Here’s Fournier and a few of his teammates celebrating their Memorial Cup win last month.

Also signed Saturday: Hamilton Bulldogs goalie Robert Mayer for two years (two-way), and free-agent forwards Nick Tarnasky and Martin St-Pierre, both to one-year, two-way deals. A feature I wrote on Mayer, upon his brief, late February call-up, is here.

The releases from the Canadiens are below.

The team’s five-day development camp concludes at Brossard on Sunday morning with a 9:30 a.m., three-period intrasquad game featuring most of the 56 players who have taken part in the camp. The stands of the rink will be open to fans, seating on a first-come, first-seated basis. Get there early if you want to see the action.

habs-1

havs-2

habs-3

habs-4

1,371 Comments

1. Arnou Ruelle says:

Just want to say Hi to everybody. I’m new to this site. A pleasure to meet all of you here.

2. SnowManHabs85 says:

Here’s a fun stat: NJ leading hitter during the regular season is Stephan Gionta with 87 registered hits. Clarkson being 2nd with 84 hits.

Our Gionta had 37 hits, while Eller was 3rd Habs leading in hits with 86 hits.

3. habs1992 says:

I have listened to many views on here, and I have decided I will not post what my sources are telling me. The only time I will is if they are 99% sure a deal is imminent. The last person I want to be compared to is that scam artist Ek****. Even though my I have numerous sources I will keep to the hockeyrumour website.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

4. Haborama says:

how about:
    Collberg, a 1st, and Moen to Winnipeg for Kane.

5. vegas says:

how about,

Markov 5.75 or Gorges 3.9, and Gionta 5, maybe throw in a 2nd
    for
    Coburn 4.5, Simmonds 3.975,

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

…it is incredible that the Lac Megantic train tragedy can happen in this day and age

7. chesterfiled says:

New to the site. Been reading for years. Was all for the smurfs, the poisoned, dirty smurfs! Big is good, but scoring was the only problem… Nobody questions the team with the W. So some bigger space makers could be the missing ingredient for the talent to score… as long as the team plays like Gallagher and Subban!

“Strategy is is the skill of being counter-intuitive” said some Roman or Byzantine general

• Lafleurguy says:

Welcome to the Bandwagon. If you are a perspiring comic, that’s great. There’s already an abundance of inspiring and aspiring ones. If you find the posts dull at times, say something about Carey Price.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• chesterfiled says:

Cheers! Even if the last 1/4 of the the past 1/2 season (plus a couple of playoff games) did not pan out for him, Price will win a few series. Fingers crossed for a 25th cup

8. wjc says:

Fining the players:

Hair to long, thats a fine
    Being a smarty pants in the dressing room, that a fine.
    Showing up too early….thats a fine.
    Showing up too late…..thats a fine.
    Getting there just right….thats good.
    Bad penalties, thats a fine
    Missing curfew, you are gone mister.
    Not washing your sweater properly, thats a fine.
    Skates not shined and sharpened, thats a fine.
    No coming to Montreal as a free agent, thats a floggin.
    Having a beer, talking to the ladies…thats a fine and a suspension.
    Ride the buses for a couple of years and if you complain, thats a fine.

wjc

9. chesterfiled says:

10. Haborama says:

Troy Brouwer eh…….

What would the asking price be for him?

He’s a poor man’s Dustin Brown, would be a great fit for this team, exactly the type of player that MB claims to like.

11. wjc says:

DD new job on the Canadiens.:
    If he waste the pre season and is not getting a point a game at least, he would be banished to the concession booth.

He can learn to pour and serve beer, and give out the hot dogs. This will teach him responsibility. No more Mr. Nice guy, around here. He has been in this lack of caring slump for…….. a while, a half a season or so.

This will teach him, if after practice he has to blow up balloons and climb ladders to put them in good fun spots, that the Canadiens are not to be triffled with.

Give him the Eddy Shore treatment. Parking lot attendant, then rush in get ready and show us what you got, you tiny little man.

Once he gets a taste of responsibility, watch his production go up.

It worked for Loopy Tayler back in the 20′s and it can work again.

wjc

12. govenah says:

What I would do…
    Here is my depth chart for the coming season

Left Wing Centre Right Wing
    Pacioretty, Max Plekanec, Tomas Jagr, Jaromir
    Bourque, Rene Eller, Lars Briere, Danny
    Prust, Brandon Galchenyuk, Alex Gallagher, B.
    Gionta, Brian White, Ryan Parros, George
    Moen, Travis Leblanc, Louis Blunden, Mike
    Thomas, Christian Bournival, M Holland, P
    Fournier, Stephan

And the D’s
    LD RD
    Markov, Andrei Subban, P.K.
    Gorges, Josh Diaz, Raphael
    Bouillon, Francis Tinordi, Jarred
    Drewiske, Davis Emelin, Alexei

I would prefer to replace Georges with Edler and move Diaz number 7 and maybe Beaulieu could make the team as opposed to Frankie.

Just a few more pieces and the cup is ours.

• Steven says:

Please tell me you fit “Tomas” and “Jagr” next to each other on purpose.

2010 memories…

• wjc says:

What I wouldn’t do….check above.

I would use Georges over Edler, causin we don’t got no Edller.
      I would keep Diaz and and and keep Diaz.

Just a few more pieces, just a few more pieces, just a few more pieces, just a few more pieces, just a few more pieces…..help I am stuck…..just a few more pieces, just a few more pieces…….

wjc

13. wjc says:

Things I would do, but can’t because, no one ask me:

Tell Boston and other mean teams to be nicer.
    Tell Chicago, that other teams like to win too, you know.
    Only draft good players, that don’t get penalties, sportsmanship is important.
    Try to be patient with the referees.
    Take out rock music, and annoucements and bring back the organ.
    If fans get too noisy, have ushers give them a warning and if they persist escort them out.
    Proper dress only, ties, fedora’s, dresses for the ladies and walking canes.
    No children allowed, no beer or alchohol to be served.
    National anthem played by marching bands, bag pipes etc.
    Clean the ice between periods, no more shoot outs, ties are so dog gone satifyin.
    Eliminate names on sweaters, that’s what programs are for.

wjc

14. habstrinifan says:

My sources tell me that despite Subban’s Norris trophy win and Price’s expected rejuvenation under goalie coach Waite… that the Triple low-five will not be re-introduced. In fact they were all set to trot out the Triple HIGH-five if Lecavalier had signed or McCaron had made the team. Now that Briere is our foremost forward the Triple HIGH five has been re-shelved (MT had Parros put it on the top shelf) and would be grandfather in when McCarron first beats the daylights out of Lucic.

15. durocher says:

Pleks and Moen for Troy Brouwer and S. Galiev. Would you do it?

Max-DD-BROUWER
    Bourque-Briere-Gio
    Gally27-Eller-Gally11
    Prust-White-Parros

Gorgy-PK
    Markov-Emelin
    FISTRIC/Cube-Tinordi

16. Adidess says:

My sources are telling me that Galchenyuk will start the season in Montreal. I’m talking about sources very close to MT and somewhat close to MB.

I am an aspiring comic…

17. habstrinifan says:

I dont think you would see Desharnais on the power play or maybe even on the first line next season… unless of course he shows in training camp his 2011-2012 production.

MT was under ‘pressure’ to give DD a significant role on the team as the frontline ‘local boy’. With Briere on the team and very likely assuming a leadership role Briere will now fulfil the ‘cultural identity requirements’ of Desharnais.
    Theoretically this should help the power play period.

Unless we see a resurgent DD, then he may become a Darche type player. Also notice that MB has indeed stocked up on ‘French’ players and so even as the season prgresses he could have callups and replacements who are French (and good) and this will push DD even further down the hierarchy. What to do with DD is no longer a dilemna.

And if Price doesnt show … then expect a similar strategy.

One thing MB has done is stocked up the farm system.

• Adidess says:

Trini, I really don’t think the coach makes in-game decisions on players’ minutes and utilization based on some requirement regarding French quota. I am kinda hoping you’re joking.

DD put up 60 points the year before and finished with +10. He was quite effective on the PP. The coach probably expected DD would even improve on those numbers in the 2012-13 season, so you can’t fault him for trying to get Desharnais going again.

I disagreed with the length and value of the contract as we were bidding against ourselves at that early point in the negotiations. But while it is true DD had a bad year, he isn’t useless by any means.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

If he continues to play DD on the first line and PP over the centers we have now I think it’s there’s an obvious agenda to play the French players over players that are definitely better. That’s no way to run a team.

18. Dickie9 says:

Just on Capgeek.com checking out some of the teams…looked at the Habs payroll…man that DD contract is horrid looking…would also be nice to shed Markov and Gionta before the end of the summer.

• Mark C says:

What would you do with that money at the end of the summer?

People are way too worried and salaries and cap hits on this site.

• Mondou6 says:

How does the Price contract look? ;)

• Bill J says:

A lot better now that MB signed the best goaltending coach in the league.

• kalevine says:

I’m looking forward to the next excuse now that the goaltending coach cannot be used

• Bill J says:

You’re one of those eh? That’s fine, why not look at it from a positive POV. And say: I’ll be happy once Price reaches his full potential.

Was it really necessary? I wasn’t pumping Price’s tires, nor was I making excuses. But there’s something to a guy whose won 2 cup rings coaching 2 different goaltender tandems. It’s impressive, and you would rather dump on Price.

You’re an “awesome” fan, keep up the good work.

• kalevine says:

to quote your favourite goalie, chill!

19. wjc says:

Things I would do:
    Change everybodies number, to confuse the other teams.
    Only draft good players.
    I would tell P.K. to keep winning the ‘Norris’ trophy.
    When things go wrong, I would check to make sure the players had fun.
    Tell the fans not to be so fickle. Look in the mirror and say “I will not be fickle.”
    If players misbehave or break curfew or sass the coach, I would have a time out.
    Paint the dressing room sky blue, to introduce calmness.
    Chant before games.
    Phone players at all hours of the night to make sure they are tucked in and not breaking curfew.
    Cancel ‘hockey insider’ as it riles the blood.
    Only hire players that do not want lots of money, offer them coupons and stuff, to prove they love to play for the love of the game and the Canadiens tradition.
    Go habs go, go fans go, no more hitting, be sportsmen first and be gentlemen.

wjc

20. habstrinifan says:

Buffalo gets Tallinder (Big D) for Boychuk from NJD per TSN… probably soon to be confirmed by 10992..

21. Plekasuares says:

Someone ban Habs1992 such a freaking fraud! He didn’t call the Parros deal btw he said He did not want Talbot.

• habs1992 says:

No I called the Parros deal, go back and check the page. Its all right there.

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• The Jackal says:

Look guy, everyone here appreciates some good speculating and throwing around players. And hey, maybe you do have sources, who knows? But the thing is, you talk about it like you are showing it off, and you write very vague remarks on what your sources “tell” you. It just makes you sound like Eklund.

Maybe have some more substance and actually flesh out what you are posting and try not to sound like having sources makes you an insider.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• chanchilla says:

even if you did call the parros deal, you’ve called 50 things since that have panned to nothing, 1/51 isnt a good track record.

• Plekasuares says:

Now 1/10000000000000

22. Haborama says:

I hope that Tinordi show some stuff next year.

If he’s been working on building muscle, taking boxing lessons, eating steak, drinking beer, getting into bar fights, and pumping iron, then I think he could be a total physical beast.

23. Propwash says:

Found The Source.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

24. johnnylarue says:

Re: Wimbledon

Match was too early for me, but I just watched the highlights and the Andy Murray Victory Celebration for the Ages.

Great stuff, and kudos to the champ. Beating Djokovic in a title bout is no small feat, let alone with the weight of a few Kingdoms on your shoulders.

25. Sportfan says:

Anyone see this? http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427197

Hacking MY BUTT

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

26. Habifax says:

My sources are telling me…….

Leafs’ Fraser expected to file for salary arbitration
    Stars release statement about tweet from Seguin account
    Sabres acquire Tallinder from Devils for Boychuk
    Blue Jackets sign former Habs defenceman St. Denis
    Nestor, Mladenovic win mixed doubles title at Wimbledon
    Midnight Aria goes wire to wire to win soggy Queen’s Plate
    MacArthur: Blue Jays send three to All-Star Game
    Vettel finally wins his first German Grand Prix
    Ranger captures NCATS Jiffy Lube 100 on home course
    Martin wins Stage 9, Froome defends Yellow jersey
    Reporters tilt their thumbs to Arencibia, the NHL and more

27. Sportfan says:

Which teams would we have better odds in trading with the Blues or Flyers?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

28. Haborama says:

BREAKING NEWS!
    I can confirm from my sources that Vincent Lecavailer will sign with the Philadelphia Flyers.

These are my best sources here.

29. Tis Himself says:

My sources are telling me that their sources have it from reliable sources who know good sources that there are a few sources that believe credible sources know a deal is in the works sending Pleks to Disney for the sole rights to talk to Johnny Depp about playing Aurele Joliat in a feature length film “Love in a Pullman!”

30. habs1992 says:

Can CONFIRM Defencemen Fredic St- Denis has signed a 1 year 2 way contract with the Blue Jackets.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

31. Haborama says:

@CLAY: Fistric is in no position to pick and choose, he will take whatever he can get.

32. Sportfan says:

Douglass Murray is an FA now why don’t we get him for a season or has Drewiske changed that?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

33. govenah says:

Leafs letting Fraser go to arbitration. He is the kind of guy habs need. Send him an offer sheet MB.

Just a few more pieces and the cup is ours.

Upgrades on Gionta, DD and Georges please M.Bergevin

34. habs1992 says:

So I am just sitting here, eating Kraft Diner and playing XBOX 360 when I get a text message. Its from one of my sources and it just says “Plekanec is done as a hab” So now I am going through what this all could mean. I will keep my friends UPDATED.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

35. habs001 says:

Its not the pp that is the problem…it is the pk and right now there is limited answer to improve last years 23rd pk…This team would be way closer to doing something in the playoffs if they had d like Seidenberg,Boychuk and Ference instead of Diaz,Cube and Gorges…3 this type of d to replace those 3 would make way more difference than adding Jagr who by game 82 will hardly be able to walk

• Habifax says:

Yes the D is too small and it is most hurtful on the PK when you need to win battles in corners and in front. So if they don’t get any size on D then the same results will be achieved.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Slightly tangential, 001, but what do you think it would take (and why haven’t we?) to reconstruct our PK in the style of the Rangers and Bruins? That is, very aggressive, lots of pressure on the point, etc.

• Habifax says:

Mike, I think when your D is small the forwards have to collapse and help out in the corners and in front to win the puck. This leaves the points more available.

• habs001 says:

Armstrong,Moen and Halpern were just not athletic enough to play that type of pk…even Eller and Plecks have trouble playing aggressive pk so they let the other team set up..which will result in scoring chances and usually 1/5 pp goals…when teams play this passive pk vs the Habs it burns them also…plus with PK getting limited pk time the Habs are lacking the type of d that can take charge of the puck in the d zone by using their speed and power

36. Haborama says:

Fistric would address many of our needs on D: size, toughness, crease clearing, and a replacement for Emelin.

Why has MB not signed him yet? I’m very worried about his judgment and guts.

Fistric will not solve all of this teams issues, but he’s a good place to start. MB talks a lot about grit and size being important, but he does nothing to address those needs. Nonis on the other hand, walks the walk.

Deeds are stronger than words. I hate the weeds with a passion, but they are in good hands (and it kills me to say it). The same can’t be said about les boys though.

It’s time to stop chatting and screwing the dog, and start acting dammit!

• Habifax says:

yes I don’t understand why they can’t get a guy like Fistric. Makes no sense to me. I am sure he is probably looking for a one way deal. But if you can have a guy like Kaberle sitting in the press box all season then why not take a chance on him.

• Clay says:

You do understand that wanting a player doesn’t mean he wants to play in Montreal, right? Free will, and all that.

__________________________
      ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

• Habifax says:

when a guy has no contract I think he wants one. Guys like Fistric don’t call their own shots like guys like Vinney etc….

• punkster says:

Or that his agent agrees to the terms…or that the player fits in the present team chemistry…or that the GM wants to even make an offer…or that the scouting department likes the prospect…

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• SlovakHab says:

Nonis waived Leafs’ best center – gave him away for nothing.
      Then he goes and signs a 3rd liner for 5.25M, 7 years.

He is brutal. And you have him as a good example?

Check out Leafs’ most popular blog and see what their fans think of him: http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/

• vegas says:

Maybe because he’s left handed and we have over half a dozen left handed D??? still don’t get the Boullion and Drewiske signings

Makrvov
      Emelin (plays better on left)
      Gorges
      Tintordi
      Boullion
      Beaulieu
      Drewiske

We need someone big and right handed
      SO let’s package a few and go get one

37. rogus says:

When he said that he wasn’t a cow, I think he pretty much laid it out there…

38. Steven says:

Since everyone else is doing it…

My thoughts:

-MB will make a major league trade before the summer ends.
    -Jagr will say he wants to play in MTL and sign elsewhere for the 3rd straight year
    -Habs won’t win their division but won’t be in a position where they just barely make the playoffs.
    -Gallagher and Galchenyuk will improve
    -Subban will regress, but still be our #1 D.
    -Price will improve, but won’t be top-5.

39. Plekasuares says:

Where is our every 5 minute update about habs1992 talking about his sources? HAHA gimme a break I have sources to (my Betta Fish!).

40. habitunts1 says:

What is the update on Jagr coming to the Habs? Please no sarcasm

#10

41. Habifax says:

random thoughts…….

Louis Leblanc will never be a regular NHler.
    Has and Agent ever said “No teams are interested in my client”.
    Habs number one need = size and toughness on the blueline.
    floaters should be traded.
    Jagr is not the answer.
    today is a off day for agents and GM. a day of reflection and study to evaluate positions. I look for more work the next three days.

Just some bs to mull over.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Mulled over the bs, Habifax, would like to add some of my own via one adjustment to your number one need: I’d suggest size and toughness in front of both creases.

As for Jagr, I am prevented from dismissing his slow, expansive presence out of hand by the intriguing fact that he seems so keen to play in Montreal. So while I agree that he is not the answer, I’m wondering whether could he contribute in some important ways.

• Habifax says:

agree about the toughness I was just thinking on the D end is of more a more pressing need.

Jagr would help on the PP and if he would take DD spot there them we are talking. I can’t for the life of me understand how they could keep DD as the num 1 PP center.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

You’re probably right — forced to choose between toughness in our crease or in theirs, I guess D first. Would help Price, and we could just confine our scoring to perimeter shots and odd-man rushes (which will continue to work against Boston, imo).

As for Jagr on the PP instead of DD! Yes please!

Put Karen Kain on the PP instead of DD! Put on Monty Python’s Black Knight at the end of his duel with King Arthur.

Not a DD-hater, but the PP is clearly not his strong suit.

(See? Give a little bs, get a lot back! Makes the world go round!)

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I think the Laffs are in for a long season. The only really good player they have is JVR. The more I look at their roster the more I like the Habs’ Btw the potato won hands down.

42. Habs1st says:

Not sure if this has been posted or not….
    Frederic St. Denis signed with the Blue Jackets

43. wjc says:

Mid summer predictions:

Canadiens will finish last.
    Leafs will make the playoffs
    Birere will retire mid season
    Parros will be concussed when he loses his balance and bangs his chin during warm ups.
    Bergevin will be fired before trade deadline.
    Therien will lose his job as well.
    A new coach will take over, the name hasn’t come through yet.
    Molson will put the team up for sale, and have FLOWN the coop.
    Price will have a nervous break down
    P.K. will be traded while his value is high.
    Prices for tickets will drop dramatically.
    Waite the goaly coach will go back to Chicago to beg for his old job back.

wjc

44. piper says:

Looking forward to seeing Fournier with the Dogs this year. Hope he becomes an NHLer soon.

45. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Just passing on info to my friends (you guys)!

My pleasure.

24 cups and counting….

46. habstrinifan says:

Habs4LifeInTO:July 7, 2013 at 3:30 pm posted…

Day 4 of the pro camp in Brossard courtesy of allhabs.net.

Thanks for the post Habs4….

I wish to draw everyone’s attention to the reviews on Bournival from this camp and how it always seem to come back to one impressive truth…

Bournival makes his linemates better… regardless of who they are.

Keep that in mind folks.

47. Fransaskois says:

One thing before lights out….

This is a pivotal development year for our players in Hamilton, namely Leblanc, Tinordi, Thomas, Bournival and Dumont. These five guys should have a chance at earning a spot or a call-up this year in case of injuries. I’m okay with Tinordi seeing limited time as he would benefit from some maturing and development in Hamilton, no matter how dominant he may be. Personally, I want to see one rookie forward on a full-time basis on the roster by the middle of the year. Leblanc and Thomas especially have a chance at swaying MB’s mind on which veterans he’ll keep and how he’ll approach the trade deadline. I’m excited and these aren’t even our top-end prospects! Have you heard of/seen what Collberg’s been doing at the development camp!?!

I think they’re ready for it as these rookies have the “character” to get them to the next level, best of luck to them, hope we see them soon!

48. Lil Snapper says:

Seguin is such a disrespectful little twerp! I hope someone rings his bell hard. As much as I am glad he is no longer a Bruin I don’t feel he needs to make negative Twitter comments about a place where he will spend his next couple years or so. Texas just so happens to be a place I am situated right now and let me tell you these are some of the best good-hearted people in the country. Go say that crap in a local bar Tyler and see where that gets ya!

49. The Jackal says:

that 1992 guy give us any more inside knowledge today?

I was hoping his trade would be somewhat true… would have been an upgrade.

And who the hell is saying the leafs are good????
    They added one guy. An overpaid and overrated player who is not going to make the difference for them.
    Sure they got a guy who is tough and can score, but he is not a prolific scorer and he will handcuff them when it comes time to sign Kadri and Gardiner.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

50. wjc says:

More things I do not like:

People who insists on arguing with me, instead of accepting the truth.
    National anthems (not necessary)
    Time outs for advertising, although it does allow me to check on things with my cell phone.
    Bothering the players.
    Laughing at me, when there is nothing to laugh at.
    Not letting me have the last word, sentence, paragraph, thought.
    Out of town score board, if I wanted to keep track of out of town game I would have flown and flew there.
    Did I mention the glare from bald heads.

wjc

51. Habitant in Surrey says:

@wjc

…you sound like a warm and fuzzy Guy :)

52. wjc says:

Things I do not like:

5-5 ties.
    Violent fans.
    Painted faces.
    Noisy fans.
    Fans that try to get into my private box at the Bell center.
    Sharing my booze, or my pretzels
    Fans with bald head, too much glare.
    Goals that don’t count, in the old days they all counted.
    Talking to ordinary fans (the great unwashed)
    People wanting my box tickets at the Bell center, when I can’t make the game.
    Wasting my time.

wjc

53. H.Upmann says:

Tyler sequin on steers and queers:

St Louis is 8-1 odds to win the 2014 Cup? I really don’t understand betting so maybe I’m missing something.

Shoutout to Punkster – I don’t hear you bragging about your golf game so I take it that’s a bad omen. Speaking of betting, Tiger is a heavy favourite to win the Open.

55. HabFab says:

Pre-season schedule from Stubbs. No regular schedule released yet;

56. frontenac1 says:

Marc or Numb Nuts Nonis? I can’t believe what I’m hearing. Habs are going to destroy the the Laffs this year. Sports Media in Toronto are a frikkin joke!

• Hobie Hansen says:

What are you quenching your thirst with today front? Is your supply out? Bar closed? You seem a bit agitated today ;-)?

• Habilis says:

I with ya.

Nonis is taking the truculence game plan a little too seriously, IMO. Outside of Kessel and Kadri, they have nobody left who can put the puck in the net on a consistent basis. And those two guys are streaky to begin with! Their D is below average and their goalie tandem is unproven.

I feel like the Pens, Sens, B’s, Wings and even the Jackets will be tougher teams to beat.

• Steven says:

They also have Lupul but I gotta agree.

If we don’t improve our D, good scorers or not, Clarkson and JVR are going to cause a mess in Price’s crease this year

• Alvin says:

What makes you think that? You’re thinking the Habs are now better than the Leafs?

57. Ron says:

Mark on your calendars Sept 16. Bruins at Habs pre-season game. No return match in pre-season for them.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Jarred Tinordi better be eating steaks, drinking beer and pumping a lot of iron to get ready for that one!

• Ron says:

Be nice to see Tarnasky up to see how he fits in. Parros, Prust and White also. Since its a way to see the younger ones play we most likely won’t see that type of move. Nice to set the tone early and show the gooins what could happen during the season…

• Hobie Hansen says:

Not sure Tarnasky will ever see any regular season action in Montreal? Didn’t play a game last year. Can’t see him getting the nod before White, Moen, Parros or Dumont.

58. ProHabs says:

When did the Habs resign Gill.

59. johnnylarue says:

Briere was on pace to “rack up” 38 points this season, his worst point total as an NHLer. But his linemates–along with most of his team, experts agree–really stunk up the joint.

If DB can stay healthy and notch 50 points, a reasonable objective, and not be a defensive liability out there, do you guys think he’s worth the $4 million per?

• Harditya says:

If he can pull a Cammalleri in the playoffs I’d be very satisfied with the deal haha!

• johnnylarue says:

Yeah, I think a big part of Briere’s upside (if he has any upside left at age 36!) is his potential as a game-changer in the playoffs.

I have a feeling he’s not gonna get much sympathy over the regular season if he isn’t putting up decent numbers, though.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Good point about the lack of sympathy.

Depending upon the severity of those concussions, he must still be smart enough to know that Bell Centre fans and the Montreal media will chew him up and spit him out in both official languages if he isn’t visibly contributing by Hallowe’en.

Either he is aware of this and recognises the pressure to perform (on top of being a returning enfant prodzigue), or maybe he could care less. The signing looks curiouser all the time. I still have faith in the GM, and so have to believe there’s a big picture which includes a role for Briere beyond the obvious factors that we all can see.

• ProHabs says:

I have a feeling he is going to be exactly like Gomez was his last year here.

60. frontenac1 says:

Leafs are always”Getting Better”. And they still Suck and they are still Losers. Give yourself a smack amigo.

61. Sportfan says:

If this was the deal Coburn + Talbot + Simmonds for Beaulieu + Plekanec + Moen. I would do it, possibly lol maybe add DD for free :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Max says:

I hope it isn’t true.Cobourn sucks big time and is a bust.Flyer’s fans hate the guy and there’s a reason. Simmonds is a pretty good power forward but Beaulieu will be something special.Talbot is oldish and undersized and doesn’t provide much. No deal please.

• johnnylarue says:

Coburn is a decent, rugged defence-first D man, but he’s no Pronger. And I agree about Talbot.

No question Beaulieu has more upside than anyone else in that trade, and I personally think Plekanec is the glue holding our tenuous 2nd place team together.

The trade addresses immediate needs (mainly size) by creating new ones (i.e. loss of an elite defensive centre, cheap young blue chip D prospect).

I do like Simmonds, though. His contract is a bit long for a guy who’s only broken 20 goals once, but he brings it.

• Max says:

Exactly.Beaulieu is the main guy in that proposed trade and I hope the habs don’t give up on him already.I can imagine him being a stalwart on Phillie’s defense for the next 18 plus years and a hab killer to boot.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Let’s look ahead about three years and think about whom the Canadiens might have on defence.

1. Subban will likely be here
            2. Emelin could be here
            3. Tinordi is a safe bet
            4. Josh Gorges is under contract
            5. One of (Ellis, Dietz, Pateryn)

Subban is the only one of those guys who’s really a gifted offensive player. Players like Nathan Beaulieu are few, and tough for a team to get its hands. If the Canadiens ever traded Beaulieu they’d need to go out and find a guy just like him.

Keep in mind that Gerard Gallant coached Beaulieu for three years as a teenager while Nathan’s father was off in another province coaching the Canadiens best forward prospect. If “character” is an issue the team’s got more problems than just Nathan Beaulieu. What’s more likely is that it isn’t a problem at all.

“Attach Brian Campbell’s legs to Andrei Markov’s body and you’ll have a really smart hockey player with four legs. Now, remove Markov’s original legs and you’ve got Nathan Beaulieu”
            -Sean Bonjovi

• Harditya says:

Won’t happen. Habs trades are always unexpected, the management has always been very confidential. A rumour, almost never comes true especially when it’s regarding Montreal.

• johnnylarue says:

I think the Briere signing is the only move in recent history that was actually correctly forecasted by a few so-called insiders. That, and the Vinny rumours from a few years ago which wound up being true as well.

But trades typically come outta nowhere. You could argue that they are even better guarded than top-secret NSA surveillance initiatives. ;)

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Flyers are short Dmen, and have four very good Centres (Vinny, Couturier, Schenn,Talbot) – no need for Pleks. Not to mention Simmonds is the most popular Flyer.

Pleks remains the Habs best forward, not going anywhere until Eller and Galchenyuk can carry load. Although most favor Tinordi due to size, there is little doubt Beaulieu is best D prospect in Hamilton. Moen remains a Hab to start next season, based on combination of salary and last season’s performance.

One possible nugget in rumor is Habs are short a Dman with Emelin out to start season, and liklihood that any trade would involve a Habs C. Perhaps DD, along with a less shining prospect (Thrower, Holland) to a western team replete of large sized wingers, and in need of a #2 C with an ok cap hit. Said team willing to part with a #4-5 Dman due to D depth or growth.

62. durocher says:

1,000th! Now my life is complete.

63. durocher says:

Assuming that we are intersted in Jagr, or someone else (e.g., TJ Oshie, Talbot), where would he fit? We already have, at present:

Max-DD-Gally11
    Bourque-Pleks-Gio
    Gally27-Eller-Briere
    Prust-White-Parros

We already have too many forwards — I didn’t include Moen. That Jagr is even under consideration suggests that MB is inclined to ship out a forward or two to make room for someone else. I think it’s just a matter of time before MB strikes a deal and sends Pleks and Moen to another team.

I’m thankful that Fistric still has not been signed — there’s hope that MB can sign him and bring some physical strength to the blueline, if he doesn’t trade away for that strength.

• Steven says:

It’s true that we have no space on the forward unit. I have to think that, if Jagr(and Penner, as it’s been VERY faintly rumoured) is coming in, the Philly deal, or at least, the “Plek is on the market” rumour has some value. Maybe they ship him, move Briere to center, and fit Jagr on his wing. It doesn’t make a ton of sense, as I’d say Plek is about as productive as Briere at this point in time, but you never know.

64. Haborama says:

Jeff Schultz signs with LA, another one slips away. Geeze MB, Get Your Head In The Game!!

I would sign Jagr, he’s big, tough to move, and would be a great mentor for Chuckie.

DO IT!
    before it’s too late!

65. Habs1st says:

Anything new on the potential (rumoured) trade with Philly?

66. habs1992 says:

It is going to be tougher then ever to make the playoffs. I personally hate this the new divisions, and it looks like we have one of the stronger ones out of the 4, Tampa Bay will be much better and Detroit is well Detroit. (Sources tell me there is a deal on the table for Jagr extremely low 1 year 1.5 – 2 million)

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

67. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Day 4 of the pro camp in Brossard courtesy of allhabs.net.

24 cups and counting….

68. frontenac1 says:

Leafs Suck! They’re Losers! Jeeze what the hell is going on here amigos?

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Hear Clarkson and Bozak so much during the Free Agent Frenzy, ppl actually assume Leafs got better. lol

• chanchilla says:

the leafs did get better. and you’re stupid if you think they didn’t, especially if they come to terms with bernier.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Hockey Inside/Out encourages lively debate, but there is a zero-tolerance policy regarding racism, profanity and behaviour that we deem to be offensive.
          We will, without warning, ban those who do not abide by this simple rule, so as to maximize the enjoyment of readers and participants of both sexes and all ages.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Lol. made me laugh but I respect your opinion. :P They already came to terms with bernier didn’t they? 2 years for 5.8m?

• johnnylarue says:

Leafs may have gotten better, but they’re still losers. Always have been, always will be.

End of discussion. ;)

• Hobie Hansen says:

Just cuz their roster is looking good, IMO, doesn’t mean I don’t want us to beat them. Really looking forward to seeing George Parros get that upper cut going on one or two of them as well.

69. piper says:

The day Bergevin signed DD to that contract was the day I began to loose confidence in our new GM. Then the Briere signing? Those two have me shaking my head. Not just because they are small but DD is too slow and Briere is too old.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Ok, here’s a comparison betweek Bozak 4.2m modified NTC contract to DD 3.5m contract which doesn’t have any clauses.

DD has hit 60 point mark once and his highest point in his NHL career but has .62 ptsPG in 178 games played.

Bozak highest point mark was 47 points and has a career .56ptsPG in 238 games player

Now tell me DD contract is that bad??

• Mike D says:

It’s still that bad. If Bozak’s contract is worse by comparison, it doesn’t make DD’s any better.

When you start justifying the contracts of players on your team by comparing them to brutal contracts on other teams, it doesn’t matter whose is better or worse – it’s the zone of conversation you’re in that is the problem.

You want to be talking about players and saying “I can’t believe he’s signed for ONLY x for that many years!” MaxPac is a good example of a player who is worth more than his contract (assuming he continues to be a 30+ goal-scoring power forward).

Rewind 18 months and imagine hearing three guys argue who had the worst contract – Vinny, Luongo, or Gomez. All three were garbage so who cares if one was slightly better.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• Strummer says:

also DD was an RFA – there was no need to lock him up for 4 years when they knew the cap would drop to $64 million

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Ha! I know comparison between stats doesn’t necessary say who the players is but I do believe GM’s evaluate players with comparable contracts with other players and 3.5m isn’t that bad. It’s not great either and he’s only 5’7, which I can see :P

But based on numbers compared to other centers in the leagues, it’s an ok contract IMO. If DD gets another 50-60 point season, pro scouts who look at numbers while be asking about DD if he’s available because he has no clauses which means it’s a moveable contract.

• Strummer says:

Bozak is 7 inches taller and has a slightly better face off win %

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• The_Truth says:

DD’s contract is a good one if he played like his first season and too long if he played like last year. He is just a question mark right now. One good season and one so-so season. Bozak does many other things than put up points. He is a good on faceoffs, kills penalties and is a bigger body at 6’1, 200lbs. I like Bozak’s contract for being a solid #2 center.

We will have to see what DD does next year. If he can put up 50 points and be a plus player, he will be worth his money.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I didn’t like the DD signing either but I understand MB is in a difficult position sometimes and there is pressure to show confidence in the French Canadian kids. At least Briere is only for 2 years.

70. Mike D says:

Some food for thought for those who claim Briere will “bring something” hockey-related to this team, and who claim he wasn’t brought here just for the french factor.

The two most common arguments I hear are 1) Veteran/leadership presence; and 2) Playoff performance

Veteran/Leadership:
    We’ve already got Gio, Markov, and Pleks providing that. Gorges, Bouillon, and Prust too. How many F’n “leaders” do we need? This team is largely unchanged from last year, do you really think Briere, a newbie, is gonna walk into an unfamiliar locker room and take the leadership reigns? Especially considering he was just bought out by his former team?

Playoff performance:
    It’s been two years since he was in the playoffs and in that time his regular season production has continued to decrease while his injuries continue to increase. Do you really think he’ll continue to produce at a PPG clip in the post-season?

Many say there weren’t any better options in the FA pool. For starters, that’s wrong. If you wanted an offensive player as a stop gap who actually brings something your team needs, Jagr was a much better choice and he would have taken a one year deal.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• Phil C says:

A player still capable of a PPG pace in the playoffs would be worth $8M, not $4M. Briere’s salary reflects his decline in production.

• Mike D says:

You didn’t address the crux of my post, but I’ll reply anyway.

It takes a lot more than just being a PPG player in the playoffs to warrant an 8mil contract per year in the NHL, Phil. The only players getting over 8mil are the handful of most elite players in the league (Crosby, Malkin, Ovie, Giroux). Even Stamkos, who belongs in that previous category, is getting less than 8.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• Ed says:

I think people miss the fact that Briere was so well protected in Philly; not from injury because that’s impossible, but “protected” meaning that he could play with confidence, and he knew that the ice would be available to him because his linemates were doing the dirty work.

Bringing Briere to a team that lacks this type of protection is useless unless we add the pieces that will do the dirty work; the power forwards who will win the battles, retrieve the loose pucks and get the defence playing on its’ heals.

Almost everyone accepted this notion when Briere was signed. That there was atleast 1 more big move to make this trade work.

So M. Bergevin, we’re waiting for your next move.

If there is no trade to support the Briere signing, then the Briere signing was a mistake. Period. End of story.

• florida habs says:

he could fit with Prust, there’s protection. maybe Eller/Chucky at center

• Phil C says:

When Briere was in Buffalo they were very small up front, yet he still produced. His most prolific scoring season was 06-07 when he played with the likes of Afinogenov, Roy, Pominville, and Drury in their top six. Only Vanek had some size in that group, and I doubt anyone would say he made room for Briere with his physical play.

His linemates varied in Philly, but in the last playoffs he was often with Schenn and Simmonds, both under 200lbs.

That being said, I agree with you that MB probably has at least one more move in mind.

• florida habs says:

Briere is not getting $8m per yr.

• Mike D says:

No offense intended here, florida, but please read mine and Phil’s posts again.

- Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• florida habs says:

sorry, missed the Phil post, yr right Briere ain’t worth $8m in any era.

• Phil C says:

I think you are underestimating how difficult it is to be a PPG player in the playoffs. The only player to do it this year was Krejci. Among active players the only ones with a higher PPG pace in the playoffs over their career are:

1. Sidney Crosby 1.280 $8.7M
          2. Evgeni Malkin 1.169 $9.5M
          3. Claude Giroux 1.100 $8.2M
          4. Martin St. Louis1.079 $5.6M
          5. Alex Ovechkin 1.052 $9.6M
          6. Danny Briere 1.009 $4.0M

My point is that I think Briere can flat-out score, and that’s why he has been brought in. He is not strong defensively and he represents some risk with his injury history and his age, so this decreases his salary. But if he stays healthy and plays to his potential, he will be one of the best free agent signings. High risk, high reward IMO.

• The_Truth says:

The question is what is his potential? At 36, he isn’t the player that put up those playoff numbers and not the same guy who was amazing in Buffalo.

• florida habs says:

they are still chasing Jagr and can fit under the cap with Briere, who else did you have in mind that we missed out on,under similar money/TERM (notice TERM is in caps).

Leadership, can never have enough especially if they get into the playoffs, and no guarantee all the other leaders you cited will be around.

playoff performer, just conjecture on your part, and watch if he becomes trade bait at the deadline (if we are out), look at the frenzy last year for Morrow et al, it will net draft choices.

Of course he could break a leg 1st week of the season….

• Mike D says:

For forwards, Jagr was the only one I had any interest in as a stop-gap filler, specifically because he would have signed for only one year. Besides him, I think Stalberg would have been a great fit. Young and skilled and signed for only 3mil x 4 years in Nashville. He could have been a nice complimentary piece to our core group.

You keep mentioning that we can/will trade Briere but as many have pointed out (myself included, directly to you), Briere has a No Trade and No Movement clause in his contract. Sure, he MAY waive it, but he has the option not to which handcuffs the team a bit. It’s well known he doesn’t want to play in the west so that’s half the league right there are aren’t possible trading partners.

Playoff performer is not conjecture on my part. He has 109 points in 108 playoff games. MY point was that I don’t think he’ll be able to maintain that clip in the post-season anymore.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• florida habs says:

all (or most) of the big names last year had NTC, to your point he isn’t interested in west coast hockey, he is just protecting his interests, but there will be 8 other teams that fit his needs and he won’t likely sit out the play offs if he has a chance to play for the cup. if he is a PPG in the play offs and you maintain he can’t keep it up ( your opinion) that’s conjecture, you don’t know it won’t happen, even if it slipped 40%, still a player team would jump on in a second.

71. JF says:

@ Fransaskois

I agree in general with what you’re saying and I like your assessment of our young core group, but I think you might be jumping the gun by a year. Tinordi and especially Beaulieu are not quite ready, or at least are unproven. Who knows what kind of sophomore season Gallagher and Galchenyuk will have? And all our other prospects up front are at least a year away; and none, except McCarron if he makes it, really project as power forwards, the kind of players who will drive to the net and park themselves there, absorbing the hits, the crosschecks, and the slashes while finding a way to put the puck in the net. Gallagher was the only player who did this consistently in the playoffs. The lopsided result against Ottawa really showed up our lack of depth.

So I think we’re one draft away from being ready to move forward. One more draft with a nice balance of skill and speed, size and toughness. Our real opportunity might come at the trade deadline if, as I suspect will happen, we look like missing the playoffs. Then we can trade veterans for picks and grab a good haul of prospects in the 2014 draft.

72. Don Carnage says:

Why all the hate on DD? Knee jerk reactions not in short supply I see.

73. SmartDog says:

Inspired by a post by Bill J below..

It’s not just taxes that keep players out of Montreal. The poutine and strippers are career-threatening!

Oh, but what a way to go!
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!