Habs sign Fournier, three more prospects; camp ends Sunday

Fournier14136

Halifax Mooseheads captain Stefan Fournier, in action leading his team to the Memorial Cup this spring.
Courtesy Halifax Mooseheads

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin was busy Saturday, signing four players.

Free-agent forward Stefan Founier signed a three-year entry-level contract, and on his Twitter account he called it a “childhood dream come true” to put his name on the Habs’ dotted line.

screen-capture-9

Here’s Fournier and a few of his teammates celebrating their Memorial Cup win last month.

Also signed Saturday: Hamilton Bulldogs goalie Robert Mayer for two years (two-way), and free-agent forwards Nick Tarnasky and Martin St-Pierre, both to one-year, two-way deals. A feature I wrote on Mayer, upon his brief, late February call-up, is here.

The releases from the Canadiens are below.

The team’s five-day development camp concludes at Brossard on Sunday morning with a 9:30 a.m., three-period intrasquad game featuring most of the 56 players who have taken part in the camp. The stands of the rink will be open to fans, seating on a first-come, first-seated basis. Get there early if you want to see the action.

habs-1

havs-2

habs-3

habs-4

1,371 Comments

1. Sportfan says:

There has to be some players who aren’t Jagr that we’d still be interested in right?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

2. Sportfan says:

MLB All-Star Rosters announced check it ut here!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

3. commandant says:

Our “NHL Happy Hour” take on Jagr. The complex personality is similar to the complex, but tasty Southern Tier 2xIPA brew.

The Big Mick’s take.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

4. HFL says:

please trade desharnais for whatever u can get and sign jagr. Think about that line upo
    bourque plek jagr
    Briere eller max
    Gally chucky Gionta
    Moen perros prust

I like what I see imo

• ProHabs says:

That line up doesn’t look to bad. The third line is a little small. Move Prust to the 3rd line and Gionta to the 4th and the balance is not bad.

• govenah says:

Yes Prust to third line.
        We have cap space to sign Jagr as is, I think Gio wins 4th line duties with his forechecking ability.
        You can trade Moen or white and DD for crease clearing D

Just a few more pieces and the cup is ours.

Upgrades on Gionta, DD and Georges please M.Bergevin

5. mfDx says:

a question, then 2 comments.

Q: Can a team re-sign a player they’ve just bought out? Would signing someone like, Subban to 8yrs/$64 mil, buy him out after one season then re-sign him for 7yrs/$7mil be a clever way to circumvent the cap until others catch on?

-I think Grabovski may have coined the perfect term for Don Cherry’s favorite style of hockey during his post-buyout rant on TSN.
    “I played for 5yrs for Toronto. Very hard. ‘COUNTRY STYLE’ ”

– The Briere signing filled a big need for the Canadiens organization.
    The “echos du vestiare” segment on RDS was in dire need of a stronger mouthpiece. Desharnais’ last season didn’t merit the number of soundbites he was allowed, Bouillon is the sixth or seventh D-man when Emelin gets back and all other player soundbites are subtitled.
    Unfortunately, when the Leafs picked Frederick Gauthier 21st, Bergevin had to make a move to shore up the post game scrum, before adding size and grit.

Sent from my CHphone

• SmartDog says:

Thanks for posting. Interesting.
      Duffy from Lower Sackville (outside halifax…working class), a good maritime boy scores a hat trick. Nice!

• JohninTruro says:

Ya, I wasn’t aware he was from Lower Sackville, I am all about the East Coast boys doing well. Speaking of which I missed Crosby eating lunch at a local farmers market by opting to go to another local restaurant on Tuesday of last week….not pleased..

6. BELIEVE IT OR NOT says:

2012-2013 Eastern Conference Teams here’s who I see as #-1 Centers. Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos, Backstrom, Giroux, Lecavalier, Malkin, Staal.

7. Maritime Ron says:

@ SmartDog

A question:
    Besides the French factor you mention and lament about the Briere signing, is there the least bit of a possibility that Briere can bring some important intangibles for what will be some very young guys moving forward…especially in the Montreal fish bowl?

Briere didn’t have to play here to know and understand what goes on – and yes, the last time he declined, at a much younger age.

Please know he was offered a little more money and term from some other teams, but chose here-you can trust me with that info or not. Your choice.
    He wants to play here.

Is he past his prime?
    Of course he is.
    Can he bring somethng to the Habs that we don’t have?
    I believe he can.

In Philly, he had an “A” on his sweater and that means something.

Look at our kids and key core moving forward – Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher-Max…and even the guys on D including Subban.

He brings another perspective – another leadership voice – a proven professional with reported great work habits.
    If he can stay healthy, it will be a very good short term signing for all the reasons mentioned.
    The youngsters need mentorship and chats about what it’s all about…

• SmartDog says:

There may be intangibles sure, you have some argument there – maybe. But it’s still WAY too much to pay for a small guy (when MB says he wants to get bigger) whose production has declined dramatically and who is coming off of injuries. (I don’t care if other teams were willing to pay more… look at some of the stupid signings last week. In my opinion, that part of your argument doesn’t add anything.)

Are you telling me if his name was Joe Masterson he’d be given the same deal? Not on your life.

• HFL says:

well then smart dog, who does mb sign, if its not briere? The ufa market sucks, and there was no one MB could get that adds value. U want a big stong forward, then u gotta pay, and were not in the position to pay for that. MB had cap space for the next two year, might aswell use it.

• SmartDog says:

So, uh, you’re saying Briere is the only option?

He could have Jagr for less and for just 1 year. Jagr who scored more points by far, is bigger, and cheaper, and a future hall-of-famer.

And there are other guys still out there. We’re not wining the cup this year, we’re just trying to get better. We don’t NEED Briere. If we needed that kind of help, we’d be in trouble.

• florida habs says:

right on

• Ed says:

I think we have plenty of leadership in that room.

I also think that signing a veteran player was a good move, but Briere was the wrong type of player.

Our forwards need more protection not less.

Living here in Montreal and watching the media work, and watching RDS everyday, I believe that the fact that Briere speaks French was a huge reason why he became a priority.

• Mike D says:

“I believe that the fact that Briere speaks French was a huge reason why he became a priority.

Vinnie or Briere. It didn’t matter which one. As long as they got one of them it was mission accomplished.”

– Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• Ed says:

I’ve tried to explain this for 4+ years here at HIO.

For example, last summer Desharnais was the “star” of the Habs’ Caravan that toured the province. Desharnais was treated like a super star in every small town along the way, and he was the one who took over the public speaking whenever it was required – which was everywhere.

1/2 way through this season, BOOM, 4 year contract.

Why? Why so long a term to a guy who was just starting to play NHL hockey and was not even a UFA at season’s end??

Why the rush to sign in mid-season?

Sad, but true.

• Maritime Ron says:

Parros.

8. Propwash says:

I’d give Jager a shot, but aren’t all the roster spots full now? Is there any room for him?

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

9. habstrinifan says:

I like the suggestions that we get Edler (or similar) and pair him up with Subban.

Those ideas however do not take into consideration the coach and Markov. Would either or both allow Markov to be #3.

If you say I am trollin with that question, I think you are not reading the assignments of last season as I am.

• habs1992 says:

Edler has got a no-trade claus, I don’t like the Habs chances of landing him

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• florida habs says:

Markov needs to transition his role to a Hamrlk proto-type. Too much of a defensive liability when he tries to play an offensive role 5 on 5, number 3/PP, no problem.

• govenah says:

Totally agree with this.

So that puts the pairngs at
        Subban, _______ but currently Georges
        Markov, Diaz (and later Emelin)
        Bouillion Tinordi or Drewiski

Just a few more pieces and the cup is ours.

Upgrades on Gionta, DD and Georges please M.Bergevin

• florida habs says:

I think if Tinordi can make the team, I would try to feel him out with PK, spelled by Gorges, then the following year it is PK/Tinordi as the 1st pair. Has anyone given Tinordi a handle yet?

• johnnylarue says:

I’m partial to “Tiny”, but the doofuses in the room go with the much less imaginative “Tinner”.

• JohninTruro says:

Johnny he is young, maybe they don’t want to ruin his confidence with the “tiny” nickname??

• Fransaskois says:

We had no one else to fill the role he played last year. Having Edler would change that. I think we can all see Markov needs his role and minutes minimized. So they darn well better!

• Sportfan says:

Didn’t they say by moving Ballard they don’t need to move Edler anymore?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• thebonscott says:

according to lebrun, edler is off the market, with the buyout of ballard.

GET BIGGER, GET TOUGHER, GET EVEN.

10. SmartDog says:

Florida,

I like the Fournier signing – I said as much yesterday. Like most people I don’t like DD’s contract and think Briere is a huge gamble – a gamble he wouldn’t take for someone who’s not “coming home”.

Everyone has their biases. MB isn’t perfect. And I think he wants to return the glory of the team as it was, and that means probably adding more French flavour. I’m actually for this… I think Therrien was a good move. But I think he risked too much with DD, and I’m really thinking he’s going to regret Briere.

That Jagr could beg to come here and big ignored by comparison is ridiculous. Jagr is a future hall-of-famer. He’s outscored Briere by a good margin over the last two years. He’s big and hard to move (something we need more of). He’s not coming off of concussions and other injuries. But he needs to knock at our door, while for Briere the door is already open. It’s sad. And yes, I believe 100% it’s a bias – and the majority of people agree, not because they want to say something bad but because it’s obvious.

• Beliveau04 says:

How about looking at Winnipeg and Montreal as trading partners

From Montreal – David Desharnais, Louis LeBlanc, Josh Georges Greg Pateryn plus 2nd round pick in 2014

From Winnipeg – Blake Wheeler, Dustin Byfuglien plus 2nd round pick in 2014

If you want Evander Kane to be added from Winnipeg then probably, Thomas Plekanec would have to be added by Montreal and a draft pick.

Do you think this would help Les Boys in size, scoring ability and the cap?

• Habilis says:

I don’t know about that one. If Byfuglien is having weight problems while living in Winnipeg, imagine how much he’ll eat in a world class dining city like Montreal. The poutine alone is potentially career ending!

They’d have to roll him to the Bell on game nights.

• Beliveau04 says:

You are probably right about that. Maybe he will get into shape for the ladies. I’m sure that MT would take care of him. No one would stand in front of our net.

Would you like to see this deal happen?

• Habilis says:

Honestly, yes. If DD and Gorges are the main pieces going and big Buff is coming back, I’d do it every day and twice on Sundays.

There are plenty of really good trainers and dietitians in Montreal. ;)

• BJ says:

Funny poutine comment!

• Bill J says:

The only way Winnipeg agrees to trading BigBuff or Kane, is if we offer ALL above Hab names you listed, and we get ONE of Kane or BigBuff.

At least put yourself in the shoes of the WPG GM before you suggest trades like this. Yikes!

BTW, I’m exaggerating in saying ALL those Hab players ares required to land ONE of those two guys, buts it’s the answer I provide MB when he makes me your proposal.

• Beliveau04 says:

Both GM’s are from Chicago. Winnipeg may agree to change their team based upon contracts and attitudes. Buf has problems, Wheeler’s contract has one more year and Kane is sometimes plays soft. All Canadiens players noted have contracts within the Jets capabilities, they all work hard and just require the opportunity.
          It could work.

Bouillon, Drewiske
          Emelin (injured)

Price
          Budaj
          Just a thought.

• Bill J says:

I dunno, I can’t see it happening. Your reasoning is tempting to believe in, but I just don’t see it.

The equivalent for us would be trading MaxPac Subban for several lesser players… Why?

• bwoar says:

You could get Byfuglien for that package, minus the pick. Not Kane, and forget about adding Wheeler. I have yet to see any Habs fans post a reasonable trade suggestion when Buff or Kane was going to Montreal.

Byfuglien and Kane are the 2 most important players on the team, with Bogosian #3. Try and keep that in mind when you’re spitballing trades.

“thoroughbred”

• Beliveau04 says:

If Byfuglien, Kane and Bogosian are your 1, 2 and 3 players why forget about Wheeler. Therefore, you may be suggesting Byfuglien and Wheeler to Montreal as Wheeler isn’t in your top 3. Isn’t that what I originally suggested in one of my prior posts?

• rhino514 says:

Very well put.
      i have not seen Jagr play much since he came back, but if he can still skate, of course I don´t understand why Briere instead of him. Briere only put up 16 goals the year BEFORE last, when he was supposedly healthy. So it seems we will be praying for him to reach twenty goals one more time. To me it looks like Eight million for a gamble on one more twenty goal year and no physical/defensive element. don´t like it. I am also for adding more French flavour, but don´t agree with the cost here.
      Still, it´s not a long term gamble a la Lecavalier, and it is a gamble with some upside; there is something to be said for the motivation of playing for one´s home crowd.
      I also think this spells the end of Leblanc, whom, with the forward depth we have, we could have given one more look and who may have proved doubters wrong.

• Stuck_in_To. says:

Jagr proved what he is worth in this years playoffs. I am glad MB seems uninterested.

• SmartDog says:

You mean when he was in the room before the 3rd period in game 7 against the Leafs telling guys to pull their heads out of their socks and try to win the game? Or with 10 assists (good for a 3rd line guy) and 56 shots? Puck possession? What?

• Stuck_in_To. says:

So he is good in the room? ;)

His puck possession is good, agreed. But not always positive for his team when it amounts to nothing … I get that every second he holds the puck the other team is not attacking. His assists … not impressed enough with 10 assists in a SC run to sign Jagr. He is also going to have to make it through an 80 game regular season. So yeah, that’s what.

• florida habs says:

I just don’t see the gamble, it’s only a 2 year contract, available cap space for the term and could be a chip for a deadline trade for draft choices (he has a proven play off resume). In so far as production, it remains to be seen what he can contribute, no question there, but injuries did contribute to the decline. Philly did speak highly of him but obviously not at the old contract. I think the French slant is old, maybe 15/20 yrs ago, but today it doesn’t hold up to the sniff test, it’s not like we need a marketing angle. Hockey has evolved into an international participation sport, much like soccer, you chase the best players

• The_Truth says:

Can’t disagree with you on your points. Jagr has been a lot better player the last few years, and ads the size to insulate our smaller forwards. On a stop gap deal, I rather Jagr for 1 year, than Briere for 2. Jagr would probably cost less as well.

11. habs1992 says:

Hearing that T.J Oshie may be the odd one out in St Louis (4.2 million)

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

• Fransaskois says:

Are Jols and I your source? We were chatting about this and saying how crazy it would be to trade him. :D

Awesome if it’s true though!

12. Hobie Hansen says:

Say what you will about the contracts Toronto gave out but they have a heck of a lot better playoff team than we do right now. They are solid.

I don’t think there’s a team in the East right now that I’d put them at less than even money against in a playoff series.

• habs1992 says:

I really believe Clarkson is the most overrated hockey player in the league,

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• Hobie Hansen says:

Tell that to all the GMs who were drooling over the chance to sign him. I wouldn’t be complaining with Clarkson and JVR as two of the Habs top forwards going inot a playoff series against Boston, that’s for sure.

Then they’ve got guys like Kessel, Kadri, Lupul and more.

Pretty good looking lineup if you ask me. No Smurfs!

• Bill J says:

Nope, just a bunch of gargamels. Tripping over themselves.

• SnowManHabs85 says:

Clarkson will probably give a good 40-50 points and JVR probably around the same 40-55 points but does have that “potential” to hit 60 points mark. JVR is .54 ptsPG since playing at NHL level, he hit .67 for the first time in his career last season, while Pacioretty has hit .65 .82 .89 ptsPG the last 3 seasons.

While Clarkson has basically almost the same numbers as Bourque but Bourque has the better numbers by .12 ptsPG difference and Bourque only costs us about 2m less than Clarkson. ;)

• Bill J says:

I’m a bit stunned by your Leaf love.

Been buying into the TSN propaganda?

There’s at least 5 teams in the East that are MUCH better then the Leafs. Just saying.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Nope not buying into TSN propaganda in the slightest. And like I said, I can’t find one team that is better than Toronto.

Pittsburgh, nope.
        Philadelphia, nope.
        Montreal, nope.
        Rangers, close, tie.
        Devils, Nope.
        Detroit, close, tie.
        Boston, close, tie.
        Washington, nope.

• Bill J says:

Toronto added good players, but when you compare the stats of the players they replace… While an improvement, nothing to indicate to me that they are now the kings of the east.

They still Phaneuf on the team, he’s their version of Gomez sucktitude inducing and all. I’m not worried about the Leafs.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Regular season stats are really meaningless.

And I never said they were the Kings of the East but rather they’ll be right there with the other top teams come playoff time.

• Bill J says:

Actually not in all cases, the talent you refer to? It applies to the playoffs as well.

Is your opinion the leafs are the kings of the east, I disagree. I’ve made my points, you see it differently. All good.

The leafs being a better team or not brings me no joy or sadness, because to me they are insignificant. Always have been in my life, and I’m no kid.

• habfan01 says:

I have to agree with you Hobie. I’ve been saying for the last couple of years that’s Burke’s moves would start to pan out, and with they added this year- they look better than we do.

• junyab says:

I feel sorry for you. Like Chris Weidman to Anderson Silva type sorry for you.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Hey, I hate the Leafs. Spent half my childhood growing up in Toronto and the other half in Montreal. Never went to one Leafs game, MANY Habs games and I’m a diehard Habs fan.

But stubbornly, I have to admit they’ve got quite the impressive roster at the moment.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Ridiculous. That´s all.

• SmartDog says:

Like the new avatar Hobie!

• ont fan says:

Well leafs fans aren’t as optomistic as you Hobie. The ones I know, want the same things we do. Top 4 D and no.1 big centre.

13. HammerHab says:

Looking a few years ahead and not considering inevitable trades or draft picks our lineup looks like a pretty good mix of size and skill….

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
    delaRose-Eller-Collberg
    Thomas-McCarron/Hudon-Prust
    4th liner-Crisp-4th liner

you could replace a few of the 3rd & 4th liners with guys like Leblanc, Bozon or Bournival depending on how they develop

Subban-Emelin
    Tinordi-Beaulieu
    Thrower-Ellis/Dietz

Price
    Fucale

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• govenah says:

We still need a monster right wing to balance it out.

Just a few more pieces and the cup is ours.

Upgrades on Gionta, DD and Georges please M.Bergevin

14. Maritime Ron says:

A big Stephan Fournier fan here (along with HabFan17) and this guy is all about character and maturity…and family, and what he did there concerning siblings.

You just have to love this quote from him:
    ” Just keep working, that’s what it comes down to, just don’t stop working. Sometimes you can’t listen to what people have to say.”

No BS there.
    This from a young lad that started his Junior career with Acadie-Bathurst Titan – then moved to Lewiston MAINEiacs for 2 years-then moved to the Victoriaville Tigres for a year, and finally as an overage to Halifax where he was immediately named co-Captain.

This is the contract offered and signed.
    For each of the 3 years:
    AHL: $62,500. NHL: $575,000. Bonus:$25,000.

Go get’em Steph!
    Put a picture of David Clarkson on your wall.
    Also never drafted.
    Also an overage junior player, I believe.
    Played 2 years in the AHL.
    Played his 1st full season with NJ as a 23 year old and had 9 goals.
    Had his first 30 goal season as a 27 year old.

Three things I don ‘t understand.

1. Why Alfredsson left Ottawa to go to Detroit. Most people say it’s to try and win the Cup but I doubt Detroit’s chances are any better than Ottawa’s.

2. I’m going to stop bitching about the Briere signing but I still don’t see why the Habs didn’t go after MacArthur or Brunner (who’s still out there). Stalberg got a four year deal so that scratches his name off the list.

3. Collusion is a no-no. However, there are ways of skirting the concept. Handing out money that’s available in the cap makes sense to some. I’m fine with that. But these five and seven year terms are beyond my comprehension. Maybe for players like Malkin, Stamkos and Toews. We all get that point. But not for the lower tier of players such as Horton, Clarkson, Harmonic, Flippula and Weiss. Could these GMs and owners not have made an unwritten rule that kept deals in the 3-4 year range?

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

1. Things got a little weird there in the playoffs last Spring…
      3. They don’t need to collude. They need to think. My friend’s dog can’t resist wresting with skunks. He never learns, and my friend is getting close to ‘firing’ him. If that dog were human, he could be GM in Toronto.

• H.Upmann says:

I’m always impressed with Friedman. Very articulate guy.

• monmick says:

What has not been reported on (at least I have not seen anything) is whether there were any of Alfie’s compatriots from the Red Wings over in Sweden working the backroom to make this deal happen…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Maritime Ron says:

Hi Cups

1) Perhaps just slightly, yet as always, all the stars and planets have to line up perfectly – meaning injuries-chemistry…….

2) We will never know IF those names you mention said NO – I don’t want any part of Montreal for xyz reasons. There are always 29 other landing spots for whatever reasons.

3) Perhaps some GMs are under great pressure from ownership – and part of their job is to ‘manage up’ and fulfil the wishes of ownership be that of getting a star, or just being above the Salary Cap Floor (see Garth Snow-Islanders) or working with a specific mid level budget.
      GMs will always ‘protect’ their owner from criticism….or they will be fired and never find a GM job again.

16. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Supposedly St. Louis has ~8 million left to sign Pietrangleo, Stewart and Allen. Something has got to happen…

• Mike D says:

Makes you wonder why they signed Derek Roy on a 4mil, 1 year contract. I know they needed a center, but why not get your own RFA’s figured out first?

Allen won’t cost them much, but no way they’re getting both Stewart and AP for less than 10mil total.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• The_Truth says:

Trade Halak and they’ll be fine.

Nick Tarnasky, a player that Montreal signed for it’s farm team, hails from Rocky Mountain House, Alberta. This town has a population of 7,000 and is situated at the intersection of the Cowboy and David Thompson Highways.

The town has a long history dating to the 18th century with the presence of British and Canadian fur traders during the westward Canadian expansion. In 1799 the Hudson’s Bay Company and the North West Company established the town and gave it a formal name.

Something tells me this guy Tarnasky might just have some interesting stories to tell. Or maybe it’s just that I find Rocky Mountain House such a cool name for a town. Sure beats Slowville or The Bay.

18. florida habs says:

Related to the Clarkson signing in regard to money and term, the Laffs with the Bernier / Bolland / resign Bozak, obviously feel they can win the cup within the next few years or the signing will be of Gomezian destiny.

Nonis who’s one of the Nucks brain trust, made similar decisions, fell short of the prize, and now are stuck with signing the likes of Weber ( no cap space) and had to part with what they considered their superior goalie. A rebuild will be the next steps.

So my question is, do you believe the Laffs are immediate cup contenders?

• JohninTruro says:

No, I don’t think so. And I look at their team and I do not see depth in AHL players who could play in the NHL, and I do not see depth in their prospect pool, two of many things I think are important to the prize.

• habstrinifan says:

Leafs are a better team today and probably for the next two years than the team which took Boston to 7th game overtime.

• The_Truth says:

Not immediate, but with the addition of a few good defencemen and some guys playing up to their potential, they are definitely in the mix.

Don’t undreestimate how good Randy Carlyle is as a coach. Burke’s biggest mistake was his loyalty to Wilson. If he had made that move even a year earlier, he probably would still be around and flourishing

19. Lil Snapper says:

I don’t believe there will be any more additions before the first puck drop. I was hoping for Cleary, but I doubt it. Like mentioned before, We need our roster spots for the youth, hoping for a little more depth though.

Forget Jagr, he will eat up cap space if we do decide to add depth at a later point.

20. on2ndthought says:

it seems mgmt is scouring overage prospects, not a bad thing, these are guys who keep the dream alive by working hard and addressing weaknesses

even if they don’t pan out, good guys to have around

“a cannonading drive”

• Fransaskois says:

Our farm team was terrible this year. As you said, even if they don’t make it, they’ll be a good influence on the young guys in Hamilton. Insulating, leading and helping with their development.

21. Fransaskois says:

Young, scoring wingers rumoured to be available:
    Evander Kane, Nail Yakupov, Chris Stewart, David Perron, ~Wayne Simmonds

Young, minute eating, #2 Defenceman rumoured to be available:
    Zach Bogosian, Alex Edler, Alex Pietrangelo, Braydon Coburn

Not a whole of options, not exactly players teams want to give up. I think we may be able to, and should, make one BIG splash by moving our aging high-value players but, I think we may have to go the prospect route, drafted by us or otherwise.

• habs_54321 says:

can’t see pietrangelo going anywhere the blues are in love with him and deservedly so

• habs_54321 says:

would love edler him and pk would be terrific together and allow markov to play a lesser role.

• habstrinifan says:

Would MT allow Markov to play a lesser role.. or maybe more relevant would Markov allow MT to allow Markov to play a lesser role.

• Fransaskois says:

Offer sheets! ;) I can’t see him being moved or not matched either, he’s way too good, contract troubles or not.

Edler is a very underrated piece in Vancouver. I’d prefer getting more of a big, two-way player (Seabrook, Bogosian) but there aren’t many of those avilable. I’d like to see Edler here, I think he’d do really well as our #2.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

As mksness said below, does MB have the guts to give up major prospects to get a top flight player? We’ll see…

The trade I would love MB to make and that could be had would involve Edler and Gorges. Edler can play with Subban 25 min/game, Gorges can’t. Plus Gorges seems to be a Torts type of player. Maybe Gorges+prospect/draft pick for Edler?

As for Stewart or Simmonds (forget the rest), you’re talking guys like Eller, Gally, Beaulieu, etc. If you sign a guy like DD for 4 years then you have to give him scoring size to play with or he’s useless. i would take a shot at Simmonds because he’s contract is acceptable. Who knows how much Stewart wants…

• Fransaskois says:

I don’t think we’re in a position to move young players or prospects for a top flight player. That goes against everything MB has been saying and it’s not a very good way to build a team. We’re relying on those young players to make us a competitive team now and in the future. If we move them, we’re stuck with nothing but old players and an empty farm.

I think we need to be moving established, veteran players for picks and prospects, while developing the ones we have, in the hope that they become those top flight players. We need to be taking the risks and developing these players instead of overpaying for them. That’s the future of our team, a prospect factory and a continually competitive team like Chicago.

• The_Truth says:

Where have you heard anything about Yakupov and Pietrangelo going anywhere? No way those guys are on the block. I would doubt Simmonds is on the block as well.

• HabFab says:

Okay, had not considered this before but maybe those attending Prospect Camps and Training Camps are offered PTO’s or ATO’s. Those of course playing or wanting to play in the NCAA can’t receive either one.

22. BELIEVE IT OR NOT says:

Jagr will go where he get’s the best money like he’s always done ….

23. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Habfab, thank you for your play by play!

#teamplayer!

24 cups and counting….

• HabFab says:

HabFab… jimnie crickets!

There are many Habfans but only one HabFab………….
      as I surge up the rankings towards the top HIO A-hole position :P

• JohninTruro says:

Good luck with that. Those posts (which I also want to thank you for with respect to the updates, and all the other great links you consistently post, is this too long for using brackets??) will unfortunately not have you surge up the “a-hole” rankings, you’re doing this all wrong. Can’t you do anything right?!

24. HabFab says:

Prospect Camp Inter-squad game wrap-up;

Team Red wins game 6-3
    Team White wins Shoot out 2-0

Nystrom, Collberg and Duffy best line for the Red Team (4 goals)
    Vail, Holland and Hudon best line for the White Team (1 goal)
    Condon played 30 minutes for the Red Team and didn’t allow a goal.

25. Fransaskois says:

@24 Cups

“Sentimental Journey – Markov”

I absolutely love this :D

Now, I have definitely jumped the gun with slotting Beaulieu and Tinordi in as core players. They are, no matter what they’ve shown in the AHL, still high-risk players. In my initial post, I tried to offset this by including Emelin and Diaz in their spots, two players who have shown themselves to be relatively capable top-4 defenceman at a fairly young age. They aren’t the over-hyped dream-machines that are Komisarek, Higgins, Beaulieu and Tinordi, but they are very serviceable players and could be considered less exciting parts of our core. So, I definitely agree with you but, I was trying to move the focus more towards our lack of talent at forward as I feel much more comfortable with how our prospects and players are developing in that area.

I think our combination of Galchenyuk, Eller, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Subban, (player from Plek trade ;) ), and Price outweigh any combination of young players we’ve had in the past. Including highly regarded and high-drafted picks such as Collberg, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Fucale, McCarron, and De La Rose just make it that much sweeter. It’s been a long, long time since we had a prospect pool like this one as well as a group of graduated young players like the one we have.

So, and correct me if I’m putting words in your mouth, your biggest reservation is handing over the keys to unproven prospects and flash-in-the-pan young players. I can totally respect that and I agree. I think you’ve just got to take your best guess with your best players and try and patch the holes through the draft and Free Agency. We can’t get anywhere if we don’t take risks or get lucky, I’d rather decide when we get lucky and take our chance with these players+ than any core group I can see in the near future or the one we currently have.

• Maritime Ron says:

Hi Fransy

I’m OK with you jumping the gun concerning Tinordi/Beaulieu, and while we never know what will happen, if at least 1 of these 2 do not become Top 4-5 in the next 2 years, we will have taken a step backwards.

You named a lot of guys in our core and the MB draft picks of the past few years – and that is key.

To make great ‘youth for youth’ trades, a team has to have depth.
      Ottawa could not make the Bobby Ryan trade without the depth of youth they developed through the draft and unloading vets for picks.

Our time will come perhaps as early as the trade deadline

• Fransaskois says:

Hey Ron!

You’re absolutely right. I think the trade deadline is going to be big for us. I think we’re in a pretty precarious spot in the standings. The change of the division, the lack of moves to get us ready…. I’m just not buying us as a legitimate contender right now. So if we’re outside the playoff picture, I think MB will be quite comfortable moving some of our veteran players for picks, prospects and young players.

We don’t have the ability to make the huge ‘youth for youth’ trades, just as you said. Our best bet is to hope for a veteran presence for pick/prospect trade (Markov, Gionta) or a key piece for youth trade (Plekanec).

• Maritime Ron says:

Fransy,
          I know this is blasphemy, yet a step backwards (no playoffs) could end up being 3 steps forward all the way around.
          We can’t dump vets for picks if we look like we are playoff bound.
          No playoffs also gives us 2 Top 44 picks + whatever else we can scoop at the trade deadline

• Fransaskois says:

We are absolutely on the same page, Ron. I hope that in an odd, and even blasphemous way, that we don’t make the playoffs or are not in the playoff hunt by the deadline. Trini often brings up “culling the herd”. If we are in the hunt, we’re unable to do that and we’re taking a step back and trying to compete with this roster – losing draft position, potential players, development time for prospects etc.

So, perhaps what you’re saying, is that we should be making these moves now? A downside I can see is exposing Eller+Galchenyuk+Beaulieu+Tinordi. I don’t think we have to worry too much about our centers because of our depth (even if we move vets) but our defence is very shaky and shallow at the moment. We could be getting players back in those trades too though…..

I just want us to stick to the rebuild and win a cup or become a highly-competitive team. Is that so much to ask? :D

26. HabFab says:

Team Red wins 6-3 but now they are going to play Shoot Out… why not?
    After a five shooter Shoot -Out, Team White wins that 2-0.

27. HabFab says:

Dietz makes it 6-3 for Team White. Fucale shaken up on the play after being crashed by Andrighetto. Stays in game.

28. HabFab says:

Friedman explains how the Alfredsson negotiations went south for those who care or live in Ottawa and could use for “trash talk” or “pillow talk” in Mavids case :)

• Maritime Ron says:

Perhaps the best thing that happened to Ottawa is that Alphie moves on.

Only the guys in the room know/knew what he meant to the team, and sometimes a new and better leadership group emerges.
      Surely Alphie took up a lot of room and ToI from the younger, developing guys – and he had his one Cup chance in 2007

That opened up a lot of money to do the Bobby Ryan trade and sign big winger UFA Clarke MacArthur.
      Spezza will back and that’s huge for them.
      From here, they are a better team today

29. commandant says:

The last days and the Canadian NHL teams

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

30. HabFab says:

Team White scores (Holland) to make it 6-2. White dominating play and coming on strong. Apparently the ICEBERG blow a 3 on 1 break by being too big or too fast…sigh!

31. mksness says:

Just a remark about Galchenyuk. This guy is first line material, not playing him on the first line this year would be criminal. he’s by far the most gifted player on this team (forward position, subban is the best player in my eye son this team and has been since he joined teh team).

I get he played well with prust and gally. but can you image what he could do with pacthes and gally? sounds like a sick line to me.

• Ian Cobb says:

Not just yet, but he will get to the 1st line over time.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• Fransaskois says:

I’d rather see him given time to develop smoothly than taking a risk by throwing him into the fire now. The next step is to play center and then make his way from there. He’ll get there, we just need to be patient :)

• mksness says:

and how do you want him to develop while playing 11 minutes a game?

he’s was drafted as an impact player and he’s a guy who has awesome skill. Developing usually means learning from mistakes. so let him play more minutes make a few more mistakes and develop already.

unless you want him to develop into a 3rd line center…. there is no reason for him getting anything under 15minutes a game this year.

• Phil C says:

I would rather see him play 11 minutes a night in favourable situations and favourable matchups and have success. If he plays 15 minutes a night on a four line team, that means he’ll be playing tougher minutes against better players which could backfire. What’s the rush?

• on2ndthought says:

1st, he’s getting paid 3+ M, he needs to earn it. he needs to play tough minutes, he’s a tough kid. finally, our team is better when he is on the ice, and will get better, faster the more he plays; especially with Max Pax and Gally

“a cannonading drive”

• on2ndthought says:

agree

“a cannonading drive”

There will be all kinds of rumors and suggestions on here and elsewhere about players coming to join our organization, but pay no attention.
    Bergevin is sticking to his philosophy about developing our own kids.
    As they develop to the point of being able to play at the NHL level, he will bring them up one at a time to take over spots on the roster.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

This will go on over the years as players age and move on to be replaced by the kids in our program.

We are a playoff team now, and this years roster is stronger, faster and better than last years group.
    And so it will grow until we all meet at the parade boys and girls.

We have a fantastic general manager putting all the winning pieces together.

33. The Dude says:

So I’ve figured out the biases of M.B.’s plan….waiting for a Miracle ?If the Habs sign Jagr I thinks I will cry http://tinyurl.com/y3fvh3p

• Ian Cobb says:

DUDE!

No chance…me thinks!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• florida habs says:

If he signs Jagr to a short term contract, which it will be, nothing lost, just like the Briere signing. If you look at the Clarkson signing, which we were all clamouring for, the Laffs have made a substantial investment “long term”. If Clarkson falters, which is not an unfathomable assumption, they are screwed. Most UFA signings accompany a level of risk, paying too much/long term. While I have not made any determinations about MB ( he has a couple of terrible moves) I will give him credit that Briere, and maybe Jagr, will fit into available short term cap space and can provide value at the deadline for teams making a run, if it isn’t us. I think both of these guys could help develop the kids, and in a utopian world, put up some numbers that can help us make some noise in the play-offs. I have no problem with these moves.

• JohninTruro says:

Definitely think Clarkson was overpaid, and too long of a term. Time will tell, but I think it was too much.

• twilighthours says:

How about this… Would you rather have clarkson or briere/parros? Because cap hit (ignore term) is pretty much the same.

• JohninTruro says:

Great question. For the next two years? Clarkson absolutely, but long term I would rather have the short term “benefits” of those two. That being said I am not in love with either signing, but I understand the “why” behind them.

• florida habs says:

you can’t ignore the term, we have PK who will be looking for, and deserve a king’s ransom, to along with the kids who will all be lining up for 2nd contracts. this is the exact scenario with Gomez/Luongo/Dipietro etc. so the answer is no, Clarkson had a great year and would look nice in a CH jersey, but are you willing to gamble the future that there will be no regression, he is not a Crosby/Malkin/Ovie….or even a Price, who’s contract now looks very normal now.

• JohninTruro says:

The term has a massive impact. You obviously take Clarkson for 2 years over those two…but he did ask me to ignore the term Florida, so I had to. This is one good reason (of many) why Briere was a 2 year deal, after the two years we need to look at some prospect opportunities. Over the next two years with the departure of Gionta (or a smaller role if resigned), Briere, maybe Plekanec we need to slowly bring in some of the young guys. The young guys who have shown they can perform in the AHL and are ready for that next challenge.

34. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Ben Duffy 5’10” ( a euphemism for under 5″9″ around here) won the Q scoring title with PEI Rockets this past season (110 points). He signed a PTO contract along with Stephen McCauley and Gabriel Desjardins within the last two weeks. Really good character kid but undrafted.

24 cups and counting….

35. HabFab says:

Team White finally on board with a fluky goal. Gravel gets credit.
    Team Red responds right back with Nystrom… 6-1 for Reds.
    Line of Duffy – Nystrom – Collberg dominating for Team RED. Second period over.

36. Sportfan says:

Whats this about Jagr? This rumor is as boring as will Brett Favre return its been what 4 years in a row where its rumored Jagr might come here. Will he though he wants money, not just a chance to play we wants to make a lot and with 4 million on the cap do you give it to him? I’m not sure about that.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

37. montreal ace says:

I see some people think other teams have gotten better lately, and the Habs have been left off their list. I can see the team having a better year, if there is an improvement in some of the players we have now. I dont think that more scoring from White, Moen, and Dumont is out of the question. I wonder what Bourque, Diaz, and a rested healthy Markov can add to the strength of the team. I am hopeful that Price will have a stronger season, now that he has a new coach. I really liked Tinordi and Beaulieu, from what I saw at the end of the year. Eller looking fantastic before his injury in the playoffs. I like Price, so I have to add the refs gave the Sens game four, Habs should have got that win, then who knows what might have happened.

• mksness says:

if price plays 925sv% this team will have a great year…

if he plays at 905sv% it will be another up and down year (with our defence to blame to protect price so that he can go out and do his groceries:-p)

• montreal ace says:

Your right mksness about the save % with Price, I don’t know what happened to him at the end of the last year, but I am worried about it.

• mksness says:

i think he was battling a small injury and was guessing rather than reacting to shots. He played lights out for the first half of the season but then couldn’t get a bounce to go his way. add in some team injuries and there you have it, dipping numbers.

my frustrations with price are more from an organizational standpoint. he’s being paid like a top goalie in the league and he has to be that all season long. i get good defence will help him and so on. but really at his cap hit he has to make the D look better rather than have the D make his numbers better kinda thing.

38. HabFab says:

Canadiens Montréal – Zachary Fucale replaces Michael Condon in goal for Team Red.

39. Mike D says:

Team 1:
    2 goalies; 8 Dmen; 13 forwards. 3.85 million in cap space.

Team 2:
    2 goalies; 8 Dmen; 12 forwards. 4.08 million in cap space.

Difference: Team 1 has one more forward. Team 2 has 230K more cap space.

Question: Which team, if any, is in a better position cap-wise?

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• HabFab says:

Team 1 still has a RFA to sign as does Team 2. Team 1’s RFA however will cost them a lot more so …. Team 2.

• Mike D says:

For me, I see the teams as relatively equal in terms of the situation they’re in cap-wise.

It’s obvious who Team 2 is, but I’m curious as to who you think Team 1 is?

P.S. – I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if you got it right by the way. Just curious.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• Mike D says:

Team 1 is actually Philly. Once you subtract Pronger’s cap hit off their books of course. But I can totally see why you said NJ.

People seem to think Philly is in cap trouble, but really they’re in no worse a situation than Montreal for this year. If anything, they have a slight advantage (basically negligible though) since the 230K the Habs have over them is less than half the league minimum and Habs still have to sign at least one more forward.

The purpose of my post was to end the misconception that Philly is over the cap and “in trouble”.

– Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• HabFab says:

Ahh! but contrary to popular belief Pronger’s cap is not deducted. But yes, they will get some relief and are not as bad as imagined. They don’t have much room for injuries though.

• Mike D says:

You’re absolutely correct, Frank. Pronger’s salary isn’t ‘deducted’ technically speaking. I simplified the wording to get the point across.

The one team that actually is over the cap though is Pittsburgh. I’m guessing they’ll move one of Martin, Orpik, or Jokinen but they definitely have to do something to get under the ceiling.

– Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• twilighthours says:

I’d take some brooks orpik in a heartbeat.

40. HabFab says:

An article on Reway, whom I can’t help but think of as mini-me… bad Hab fan that I am;

41. ClutchNGrab says:

Looking at the different available ufa on D, Cam Barker seemed like an interesting candidate, after trying to understand why a 3rd pick overall was only making 700k last year I found the following link. Since i found it entertaining I decided to post it:

42. Fransaskois says:

@Cal + @24 Cups

Not many teams have a combination, all under 26 and yet to enter their prime, similar to:
    Subban (Norris winner)
    Pacioretty (30g scorer, big)
    Galchenyuk (3rd overall, solid season)
    Eller (Big shutdown centre, 40pts)
    Gallagher (1st line, Calder candidate, no peak in production or S%)
    Price (#1 goalie)

First off, directed at Cal, if we move our veterans, I don’t think this will be anything like Edmonton. This is a diverse and versatile group of players that can be depended on for more than just offence, Edmonton’s young players can’t. Edmonton is terrible because they DO NOT have any players to play defence or stop goals. They have no role players or depth to speak of. They are a one dimensional team, this would not be our problem. Our impact players are already entering their prime and we won’t be waiting 7 years to be a relevant team. If we’d blown the team up two years ago and relied on Price, Subban, Eller and Pacioretty, then perhaps we could expect that.

@24 Cups

This is not the same as depending on Komisarek and Higgins to be world-beaters despite showing nothing but the ability to be role players. These are several proven and/or low-risk young players. Our chances of getting good players are much higher based on the amount of good young players we have, what they’ve proven already and their draft pedigree.

If we don’t take a chance on building around our core, I expect to see several more years of mediocrity. We’ve been lucky up to this point to draft and acquire the young players we have, we just need to take the next step. It could be another 20 years before we get lucky like this again.

• SmartDog says:

Good post.

I kick Bergevin for his French-signing bias (which I think is ridiculous and a real black mark), but I think he’s smart and has this kind of vision. With Eller emerging and the two “Gals” making the team last year, Subban winning the Norris, and Price…umm.. let’s skip Price for now… And add to that some near-ready D-men also about to make the jump in Tinordi and Bealieau (sp?) – plus McCarron with his size stands a chance at making the team in a year or two – and you have a strong core. Keep a couple of useful veterans, trade the rest for the parts you need.

I do believe MB thinks this way. He knows we’re not a cup team yet but I think we can see one forming. And he seems to be smart about short contracts…. at least there’s that (with one notable exception).

• florida habs says:

This French signing bs has no background, do you honestly think MB is going to compromise the future/ or his job to shut Gagnon up in the media, I think not. The Fournier signing maybe a homer call but clearly has no impact on the bigger picture. Just say you think the Briere signing sucks, and leave it at that, try and be a little more creative.

• Mike D says:

I like the Fournier signing. Nothing to lose with that move.

To say the french signing stuff is bs (or not) is not a factual statement. We don’t know for sure why MB went so hard for Vinny for Briere, but it’s curious to say the least since neither player really has a place on this team. The fact they’re both Quebecois though is a justified reason for concern. Same with the DD signing.

For the record, I don’t like the Briere signing, and while I wasn’t against keeping DD, the contract he got was a huge mistake. Just my opinion.

– Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• florida habs says:

it wasn’t that hard for Vinny, $9m for 3, compared to other offers. He is a big center/winger, that was a fit. Maybe Briere brings a little less to the plate, but the term is good with no impact to the long term cap. I think he could be easily moved, because of the short term signing, and bring draft choices if we are sitting on the outside.

• Mike D says:

@ florida

Briere has a NT and NM clause. Sure he may waive it if we ask him to, but he has the right to refuse. It’s well documented he wants to stay in the east to be close to his family so that alone pretty much eliminates half the league as trade partners.

No long-term impact to the cap, but what need did he fill?
            We need size and grit – he has none.
            We need to improve defensively – he’s not a 2-way player.
            We have depth at C and RW but need help on LW – he’s a C/RW.

Maybe I’m over-reacting but I really hate the move because I don’t see the logic behind it, other than maybe the Quebecois thing which, if true, means it was done to placate certain people and not for hockey reasons.

I hope it’s part of a bigger overall plan, yet to be revealed, that leaves us better than we are now, but I think adding Briere was a net negative if that isn’t the case.

– Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• tophab says:

are we depending on price?

• 24 Cups says:

F – I’m totally on board in terms of building with young players. And as I’ve said many times, the Habs’ history of scratching and clawing into 8th place by applying band-aids breaks my heart. It’s all about the gate and has nothing to do with building a winner.

As for Beaulieu and Tinordi, these guys are both middle of the pack 1st round picks. I’m excited about what they could bring down the road but they are not Drouin/Barkov/Galchenyuk like picks. They still have to show their stuff before they can be counted as part of our foundation. Maybe I’m just being picky.

As for Higgins and Komisarek, they are secondary players in 2013 who now work from year to year in terms of NHL employment. However, when this site first started, they were part of the team’s foundation and core. Both fairly high 1st round picks, they were the poster boys for Montreal’s future. They were ready to take the torch from Koivu as captain. They weren’t role players and there was no risk involved. They were just like Gallagher is right now. It may seem strange looking back now, but that was the reality of the time.

Hab Core – Price, Subban, MaxPac, Pleks
      On The Rise – Eller, Emelin, Galchenyuk and Gallagher
      Hopefuls – Beaulieu, Tinordi, Collberg, Hudon
      Sentimental Journey – Markov

Everybody else is an interchangeable part(with apologies to Prust) or a prospect who at best is a 50/50 shot in the dark.

43. HabFab says:

Canadiens Montréal – Ben Duffy has recorded a hat trick with two quick goals to start the second. Red 5 White 0
    Michael Condon remains in goal for Team Red to start period two, while Philippe Cadorette replaces Peter Delmas for Team White.

44. HabFab says:

Spector’s Hockey – Uh-oh, @JLupul is belittling Corsi. RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!

:D

45. HabFab says:

The reverse side of that photo posted below. I guess Team Red is team smurf… up 3-0 after 1 period.

46. Habfan17 says:

Here is why I believe that MB will trade Pleks. He is not a difference maker. Some folks believe if he had bigger wingers, he would succeed. I will use Alfredson as an example. The Sens would have him play alongside players in a slump to spark, them, They would have him play with rookies to mentor them. He has always helped players achieve more and it has not held him back. He is the same size as Pleks but is 1o years older and still puts up more points consistently. The Sens have not always been a good team, yet he is always producing. More importantly, he has another level in the playoffs, something Pleks has never shown. I do think he has value to a team making a run, so he has more value to the Habs as a trade asset. In my opinion.

Habfan17

47. SmartDog says:

Just looked up an interesting stat.

Jagr scored 16 goals in the regular season last year. On the Habs that would put him…. right about… first.

People that are saying why sign Jagr for 1 year are just looking at his age or repeating what someone else said. They’re not watching him play – or even looking at his numbers. Really, it’s stupid.

You could say we shouldn’t sign him because he doesn’t fit with the plan or something like that. But stop saying he can’t play or other bullcrap. It just shows you’re not thinking just typing.

• twilighthours says:

I watched hm play a lot. He’s too slow now. That’s why I don’t want him.

• SmartDog says:

At least that’s a reason. But he scores a lot of points for a guy who’s so slow. I’m not saying he’s a first line guy anymore. But a 3rd liner and PP specialist – yes. And for 1 year to play with our guys, teach the game, and be a “good guy in the room”… Jagr is as close to the Hall of Fame as any of our current players are likely to get.

• ont fan says:

Watching the Cup finals, you can see what is needed to win. A good mature 1st line centre. Bergeron, Toews or Yzerman type. One dominant defenceman. 2nd and 3rd line workhorses, mostly drafted. A reliable goalie, doesn’t have to be a star. The rest of the team are character players who are responsible in their own end and interchangable every couple of years. At this time, the most we can hope for is entertaining hockey and good drafting. There just isn’t a quick fix.

• Fransaskois says:

I’m assuming most people only watched him in the playoffs. In all, he played 101 games this year. Keep in mind, 45 of those were in a shortened season with little rest time, 22 were in the hard-grind of the playoffs. You can’t blame a guy at his age slowing down a little bit towards the end. He’s still a very good player, similar to our Markov.

• Kooch7800 says:

My problem with jagr is we need to address our defense before getting another forward. My other issue is where does he slot in the line up?

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

48. HabFab says:

Canadiens Montréal – Louis Leblanc puts Team Red up 3-0 with six minutes to go in the first period.

49. twilighthours says:

I see that wjc is working to opposite shift to habs1992 and haborama, and all three are conspiring to obfuscate the quality posts.

50. rhino514 says:

First off, let me start off my saying I like our team.
    Having said that, I do believe the sens and leafs have improved relative to us. That Sens team especially is gonna be really hard to beat the coming season.
    The main issue as I see with the club is the D. There´s no real weak Dman in the tops six, but overall the corps just doesn´t quite add up as a Cup contending D. The team is stuck in an odd situation in that no Dman can be moved, except perhaps Diaz. Markov is the key to the PP. George´s contract is immovable and ,anyway, though he was miscast as a top four, he is a good bottom pairing guy. Subban and Emelin are not part of the conversation. Tinordi, they need to live or die with, because he has precisely what they need, which is size.
    That leaves Diaz. Except Diaz is the best puck mover/passer out of the defensive zone after Subban. So they can only really get rid of him if they replace him with something good, IMHO, in return. And I don´t think his perceived value out there is particularly high.
    Though the team´s prospect strength is indeed on D, none of the prospects are particulary big. How do they even make room for Beaulieu when the corps is borderline small as it is?
    The situation becomes a little more murky with Emelin´s injury. If Emelin can come back and be as aggressive as he was prior to his injury, and Tinordi progresses steadily throughout the season, the D is decent. Not that big, but pretty skilled. With the presently deep forward corps and a rebound year from Price, they are a good team.
    But if anything goes wrong on D; i.e. Emelin is tentative (or the club has a bad start in his absence), Tinordi has serious growing pains, and let´s say neither Georges nor Markov play any better at even strength than last year, the team will once again fight for the last playoff position.
    It seems to have been established that, for now, Price is a decent (not great) goalie, but one who needs to have at least average protection. The reappearance of those disturbing holes we saw on D this past season could cause an ugly chain reaction.

• Mike D says:

“How do they even make room for Beaulieu when the corps is borderline small as it is?”

Rhino, depending on the source you’re looking at, Nathan Beaulieu is at least 6’2″ and 180 pounds. A couple sites have him at 6’3″ and 191. He needs to bulk up a bit but that’s normal for 20 year olds who are that tall. NB is plenty big and has room on his frame to get bigger. He’s also a terrific skater and can put up points. He’s the least of our problems.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• rhino514 says:

He´s promising for sure, but I am talking about now. With the D constituted as it is now, I don´t see any room for him, perhaps as a late season call-up. But I don´t see how they can introduce two rookies into the lineup on D, and Tinordi addresses our immediate needs better than Beaulieu does. At 190lbs, and a still underdevelopped defensive game, at THIS point, don´t see how he can make the team.
        If he has a good year, obviously, next year, someone will have to be moved

• tophab says:

we need a goalie with focus we can not trust price.

• rhino514 says:

I would die to know if our team would be better off with Schneider than Price. We will never know (though obviously we will know how both goalies perfork in the coming years). But imagine the balls of steel a Montreal GM would have to have to consider making such a move.
        It really looks like they have decided to stick with Price long term no matter what.

• Fake says:

NATHAN BEAULIEU OMG HES SO SMALL AND SOFT.

He’s 6’2 on a bad day, and he’s a Two-Way D-man btw, not a one trick pony, plus, you must be forgetting the fact that he was charged with assault.

51. mksness says:

Can people explain to me how Eller is going to be our first line center next year? He’s not consistent in regards to his point production. His 30 points game in bunches last year. He’s not the most defensively responsible player in his own end. So he’s not excelling in any one area except for “potential”.

How in the world does that make him a #1 center?

If you move pleks, you need a center in return. the only way you’re going to get a true #1 center is putting a package together like ottawa did for ryan where lots of people said they potentially overpaid. Does our GM have the guts to make this move? time will tell.

• Habfan17 says:

How is that different from at least 30% of the top point producers in the league. Many of them score in bunches and go through quiet times. There is more to being a top centre than strictly putting up points. I think we would find. given more time and responsibility, Eller would rise to the occasion, he did it in Europe during the lockout where they played him in all situations. He will make and take hits, back check and at the end of the season was better on faceoffs than the other centres. He is still young and maturing.
      Pleks played his first full season at 23 years old and had 29 points in 67 games, Eller at 23, had 30 points in 46 games. Eller also played in the NHL at 21, getting 17 points in 77 games and at 22, had 28 points in 79 games, pretty much what Pleks did his first year, but Eller was a year younger, and did not get top minutes or top players to play with. Pretty impressive if you ask me!

Most fans wanted Mb to sign Bickell if he remained a UFA. Bickell has played 3 full seasons and has 84 points. Eller has 75 points in his last 3 seasons and is 3 years younger. What will Eller have in his next 3 years?

Habfan17

• mksness says:

ah the thing about eller is he can’t be used the same way as pleks.

Nice comparing point totals but you have to look at it from the perspective of eller doesn’t match up against 2nd and 1st lines very often nor does he kill penalties as much. Pleks put up similar numbers but brings much more to the team. as for him playing in europe, he played in finland, not exactly the same caliber as the KHL let alone nhl.

Eller does have potential but he’s a a question mark especially after taking that hit. If you’re going into next season with him as your #1 center you’re gambling.

• Fransaskois says:

We don’t currently have a #1 centre so, we’d play much the same as we did this year. Scoring by committee and spreading the responsibility throughout the forward lines. We aren’t, and won’t be for a while, a top-6/bottom-6 hockey team. We don’t have elite talent but, we do have depth. I don’t think we need a center in return, it would likely defeat the purpose of moving Plekanec by minimizing the return and bringing in a redundant player. We would be relying on Galchenyuk, Eller, Briere, Desharnais, White, Dumont and Prust. We work with what we have and I’d rather have a big winger or #2 defenceman than Plekanec.

• mksness says:

Well we do have a #1 center and we drafted him #3 overall… IF anyone should be given more time on the top line it’s Galchenyuk. He’s by far the most gifter and natural scorer/playmaker we have. playing him with prust was cute last year but really if you want to see this guy shine, put him on the first line already

52. BELIEVE IT OR NOT says:

I don’t understand why everyone wants DD gone. He’s averaged as many points per year as Pacioretty every year he’s been with the Habs. I don’t hear anyone wanting to get rid of Pacioretty.

It’s awful to think about DD that way. He’s a good player. His only problem. He’s small. will why don’t MB put him between Prust and Parros for protection DD will do the rest.

Galchenyuk is suppose to be our #1 star center. Will lets see it happen. Pleks #2 and Eller #3 Fans get off DD’s back and let him contribute to the Habs like he can. Leave the kid alone he’s a good player. Get rid of the loser’s and I won’t name name’s.

53. HabFab says:

Canadiens Montréal – Zach Hall puts Team Red up 2-0 in the first period.

54. SmartDog says:

HABFAN from below (development camp photo):

“I would think the Red team looks in trouble;

Not only that but McCarron isn’t gonna be standing in for ‘Where’s Waldo’ anytime soon.

55. SmartDog says:

Hobie says Montreal fans have a strange attraction for Jagr.

Let’s see last year….
    – Jagr in 34 games had 14-12-36 points
    – Briere: 34 games with 6-10-16 points

Jagr had OVER TWICE AS MANY POINTS last year, AND had 10 points and 56 shots in the playoffs helping his team to the cup final.

Yet it’s Briere we signed to a 2-year deal for $8 million while people WHINE about the idea of bringing in Jagr at less money for only 1 year.

Now tell me – where’s the strange attraction?

(BTW, Jagr ALSO OUTSCORED Briere the year before in Phil with 54 points on the year.)

Thank you very much.

56. Clay says:

Whenever you think hockey is getting out of control, consider football (soccer). A Brazilian ref was beheaded by an angry mob because he (the ref) stabbed a player to death on the pitch.

__________________________
    ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

• ClutchNGrab says:

No way I’m clicking on that aljazeera link ;)

I struggle to convine my friends that they are a legitimate news organization that goes more in depth than any of those XYZNews in the US.

But perception is everything.

• Clay says:

They are far, far better at reporting on real news than ANY American ‘news’ agency. The bad wrap they got is because of negative propaganda by their rival US stations, and Islamophobia. The reality is they are heavily stocked with ex-BBC personnel.

__________________________

• HabFab says:

Watch RT then… they too are stocked with ex BBC or ITV people.

• New says:

They are. Reuters told the real Bengazhi story, including interviews of the leaders and decision makers of the factions providing security at the US embassy, within 20 hours. Al Jazeera (english) gets down and on the ground in Africa and the middle east faster and better than anyone. When France went into Mali Al Jazeera had interviews with both sides, and the folks in the middle. Very good news organizations.

57. naweed235 says:

ah the negativity here…

58. habstrinifan says:

It really looks like HABS are in serious talks with Jagr’s people.

So we probably should be getting ready to see him here… unless Jagr’s money demands are outrageous. Over 2mill to me is outrageous by the way. 2mill max and maybe bonuses.

• Clay says:

I’d give him 3 million…and consider that he’s worth more than DD, even at his age.

__________________________

• HabFab says:

Actually Jagr’s people approached the Habs and then went public with it… just like last time.

• Strummer says:

So who sits if we sign Jagr-meister?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• lakechamplain says:

Think Jagr, see highlights of puck control, nice passes, lots of shots that don’t see the back of the net(one commentator noted Jagr has a nice habit of building up goalies save percentages).
      Not on highlight clip: see Jagrs man skate and carry the puck into offensive zone unencumbered by Jagr’s presence; see his man dig puck off boards with Jagr watching from a safe distance. He’s 40 years old isn’t he? Don’t do it.

• SmartDog says:

Totally stupid.

Jagr scored 16 goals in the regular season last year.

********MORE GOALS THAN ANY HAB.*********

So STFU

59. wjc says:

Sunday questions:

Is winning the ‘Stanley cup’ the only measure of success?

Is going 4 rounds and losing considered failure?

Is losing any round in the playoffs considered failure?

Is making the playoffs considered success?

I guess the main question is what is considered success and what is considered failure?

For the owner is maximizing profits the measure of success?

When the fans get restless for on ice success is changing up the management a way of appeesing the fans.

Did L.A. fail this year? Did Vancouver fail this year?

Toronto has not won a Stanley cup since 1967 and they make the most money in the NHL. What do you suppose is going on? Will Toronto ever win Mr. Stanley or does it matter? What happens when Toronto finally wins, will fans be satisfied for a few more years or will they want another win right away to happy?

wjc

• habstrinifan says:

I can only answer one definitively.
      “Is making the playoffs considered success?” Absolutely not! Cause despite what MT claimed last year when we ‘clinched’, making the playoffs in the NHL is not hard.

• wjc says:

When 14 teams fail each year, that could be considered a challenge.

When after one round you have 20 teams out, that could be considered hard.

Making the playoffs means the owner can justify spending money on free agents, if they get him an extra 12 million dollars plus.

wjc

60. habstrinifan says:

My posts are being culled.

61. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Simple question: If DD was a UFA on Friday, what contract would he have got? Maybe the number but no way the term. Giving the contract before the playoffs was a mistake and MB knows it. Anyway, DD is not going anywhere. The only way they will ever be able to trade him is if has another 60pt season and there is a team with a struggling sniper that needs someone to pass him the puck.

MB has to pay Eller next year and Chucky&Gally in two years. Plekanec will have to go; either now or next season. The only other option is to trade Eller which I can’t see happening given Plekanec’s playoff performances.

• Ed says:

I agree 100% with your post DDO. Bergevin’s 4 year term to Desharnais was a fatal mistake.

• florida habs says:

he’d still be looking for a taker, unless he was willing to sign short term/$1.5m

• wjc says:

Simple questions deserve simple answers.

Things change in sport. You could ask that question about anybody. If he was signed now would he get the same money. Ask Tampa Bay about Lecalvalier…. the list is long.

D.D. lost his line and he struggled. He is a good playmaker if he has a line to work with, his wingers should be big with soft hands.

You do not know what M.B. knows and there is no reason to believe D.D. cannot be productive again. He is a playmaker after all and it should work out for him again.

Worrying about what is going to happen in two or three season’s is a waste of time, next season, when next season comes is the only one to focus on.

Every G.M. is always looking to make their team better, it goes without saying, no what I am saying?

wjc

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“Worrying about what is going to happen in two or three season’s is a waste of time”…I agree, for us. MB, on the other hand, it’s his job to.

• Ncognito says:

If he was a free agent after the 2012 year when he finished with 60 points and lead the team in assists I believe he would have received a similar offer on the market. His 2013 season wasn’t the best but he lost a winger that quit on the team and MaxPac had a slow start also. Would he have gotten that same contract this year? Don’t know.

• mksness says:

trading eller is an option. A very good one as well. he has value to other teams

62. nickster13 says:

The lame thing is, the Leafs and Sens are both much improved hockey clubs. Whereas we picked up some castoffs on the downswing of their careers.
    I’m seriously hoping we make a move to at least improve somewhere down the lineup, by acquiring someone who is not another team’s castoff.

“I don’t wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the Rocket!”

• deuce6 says:

We didn’t make any “sexy” moves, but why make the “Bobby Ryan” deals when all we have to do is tweak? The Habs have a great foundation of young talent to build around..We don’t need to give fringe 2nd liners 5.5M/7 years deals and trade top prospects/picks to fill holes in the lineup..

If Price can figure out how to take his game to the next level, we will be an Eastern Conference Contender, again..

Don’t sweat teams like OTT/TOR making huge deals..Those deals did nothing but deplete valuable picks/prospects and eat up huge cap space on a player that had one offensively productive season..

(Clarkson will never see 30 goals, ever again)

——————
      Brandon Prust doesn’t have hair on his testicles, because hair does not grow on steel….

• wjc says:

If you come from another team, you are a cast off. Downside of their careers….let me see. Ingila, Ygar etc.

You want to sign guys with lots of time left on their careers then be prepared for 5,6.7 year contracts for many millions of dollars.

I

wjc

63. lakechamplain says:

Man, I gotta go cut the lawn before we get another deluge here, as we’ve had the last month. But as much as I dislike doing that, I’m feeling it’s preferable to reading the same old, same old, here, where most of you guys think that if you were only GM all you’d have to do is pick up the phone and ‘get bigger’, get the ‘big power winger’, get the ‘top 4 D Man’. Pierre LeBrun had a nice column on the FA Frenzy and how teams did(espn.com) and didn’t even mention the Canadians. Alan Muir had a nice column on si.com about the ‘big-name’ signings and splashed a lot of cold water on them. Guys, sometimes LESS IS MORE!
    Yes, we got blasted out of the playoffs last year but do any of you recall how much better we were? Do you recall that the Blackhawks were ‘smaller’ than the big, bad Bruins but won with their grit and skill? Yessir, we are a few bricks shy of a load but there are rarely shortcuts that you people make sound so doable and easy.
    If another team were competing with the Habs to sign a free agent of value, I’d suggest all they’d have to do to seal the deal is tell them to come to HIO and read the posts for a few days, or hours for that matter and they’d see how much appreciation you get playing for the Montreal Canadians from their ‘fans’.

64. Thomas Le Fan says:

I still don’t get how many posters assume because a player signed with another team he could have been signed by the Habs (if we actually needed him, that is). Still waiting for the explanation. If you’re just going to imagine things, there should be a fantasy HIO site. Oh wait ….

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

65. habstrinifan says:

@Old Bard!
    ” I think this is one of our many problems –needing or perceiving to need Pleks as a #1 centre. If we refuse to move a prime asset who doesn’t fit long term, I don’t see us improving much.

I confess that to me Pleks embodies the futility that many saw in Saku. I didn’t understand that then, but I do now. So, it’s nothing personal against the guy. I just feel that I want to move on.”

WOW! Finally.

This is a great analogy. It’s no disrespect to guys like Saku or Pleks or Gionta. But what Old Bard said is true. Having them competing for principal share of ice time. Caoches making their line up decisions with these players as their centre-pieces. While the team sputters year after year.

At some time you have to change the ‘major’ players. Time is now… this season.

• florida habs says:

I agree, I like Pleks, solid defensive skills ( a little weak on face-offs) can contribute in the o-zone but his play doesn’t seem to translate from his play in EUR/KHL ( last year) and believe he is a 3rd line center who can step up. For contending teams he has a lot of value to put them over the top and think the value for him is solid. So why not put him in a package and try to get a requirement we need, a big winger. Eller/Chucky will need to step up, I think Eller needs bigger minutes/PP/PK time etc.

• Strummer says:

Pleks needs bigger wingers to compliment his skills.
        Remember when he played with AK46 and Kovy?
        That was the Habs best offensive line in years.

How would Datsyuk look without big solid wingers like Zetterberg and Franzen?

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• florida habs says:

Datsyuk is clearly a better player than Pleks but I get your point.

• Habfan17 says:

If you consider Zetterberg a big solid winger, then the Habs have a big solid team. He is the same size as Pleks, and he is not big by NHL standards.

Pleks is not a difference maker, difference makers make other players better and raise their level of play when it matters most, the playoffs! Alfie is a difference maker. The sens moved his line mates around constantly so he could mentor them and help them reach their potential. Also to spark team mates that were in slumps, and even 11 years older than Pleks, he puts up more points.
          Habfan17

Let me try again. I’d take Ryder/Cole, Lapierre and Schultz over Briere, Parros and Drewiske.

It’s not that MB’s moves are all that bad, not like the stupid Harmonic, Clowe and Flippula signings. It’s just that I was hoping for more. I also really question the drafting of Crisp and Renway. Time will tell.

Jim Nill over in Dallas is an interesting case of how a GM attacks a problem (not that I’m advocating MB do the same thing). But Nill is certainly putting his mark on the team.

• Ed says:

it comes down to the hiring of Bergevin and what was discussed in that room with Geoff Molson.

The Habs are a money making machine.

Molson gives Bergevin the “mandate” to go slowly, to not attack the problems, because the Habs are such a huge success in this town.

Now the next “5 year plan” starts ticking; one tick, one tock, at a time.

There is no “urgency” in Bergevin’s mandate, because the Habs are a religion here.

• Strummer says:

As I posted yesterday, Bergevin was left with the Gainey/Gauthier bad contracts. After using the compliance buyouts on Gomez and Kaberle he only had $9 million in cap space. Nonis in Toronto had $24 million, with which you can make a splash.

We are also stuck with Gorges, Gionta, Moen and to a lesser degree DD and Price for being overpaid for what they bring.

With these contracts expiring in the next couple of years should free up some cap space to start building. In the meantime it’s plugging holes trying to stay competitive.

With Bergevin and Dudley’s Chicago connections I was disappointed that they couldn’t acquire some of their assets that were up for grabs- Bolland, Stalberg for example. Bickell would have been a stretch.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

67. SlovakHab says:

Okay, everyone chill out.
    I have a solution:

Habs need a top-4 defenceman (size, shoots L) and a big winger. Easy peasy!!

Chris Stewart + Jackman (STL)
    Let’s ship them some DD, Moen, 2nd rounder and Gorges.
    Done deal.

68. Ncognito says:

@Cal
    I’m aware that other teams draft (some better than others)…but way to many trade these prospects away for over 30 veterans that are over paid or have a contract too long or a contract that is expiring. Your statement above sounds like you think all the prospects will hit the NHL at the time as rookies? That’s not how it happens.

2007-2008 Price and MaxPac
    2009-2010 White and Desharnais
    2010-2011 Subban and Eller
    2011-2012 Emelin and Diaz
    2012-2013 Gallagher and Galchenyuk
    2013-2014 Tinordi and Beaulieu
    2014-2015 ???
    2015-2016 ???
    2016-2017 ???

See the pattern? This list could have been even more impressive if the management team didn’t trade away McDonagh in 2009 for Gomez. There will certainly be rookies and/or second year players on this team when ready for the cup run but the current core will have 4-10 years experience. There will be no Gionta or Briere, No Markov or Bouillon. No Moen or Bourque. Plekanec and Gorges should still be here because their veteran leadership and P/K experience is what will be needed for a long playoff run.
    MB is correct in saying you build through the draft. You fill holes later with trades and free agency. The veterans picked up this week are not for a cup run – they were picked up to help the habs make the playoffs this year and next. The cup run will come – but it will be 4-5 years away.

69. adamkennelly says:

question – are the compliance buy-outs done after this year (for the rest of this CBA) – I was operating under that impression. Which is what makes the signing of Horton, Clowe and Clarkson to those contracts freakin insane.