Habs sign Fournier, three more prospects; camp ends Sunday

Fournier14136

Halifax Mooseheads captain Stefan Fournier, in action leading his team to the Memorial Cup this spring.
Courtesy Halifax Mooseheads

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin was busy Saturday, signing four players.

Free-agent forward Stefan Founier signed a three-year entry-level contract, and on his Twitter account he called it a “childhood dream come true” to put his name on the Habs’ dotted line.

screen-capture-9

Here’s Fournier and a few of his teammates celebrating their Memorial Cup win last month.

Also signed Saturday: Hamilton Bulldogs goalie Robert Mayer for two years (two-way), and free-agent forwards Nick Tarnasky and Martin St-Pierre, both to one-year, two-way deals. A feature I wrote on Mayer, upon his brief, late February call-up, is here.

The releases from the Canadiens are below.

The team’s five-day development camp concludes at Brossard on Sunday morning with a 9:30 a.m., three-period intrasquad game featuring most of the 56 players who have taken part in the camp. The stands of the rink will be open to fans, seating on a first-come, first-seated basis. Get there early if you want to see the action.

habs-1

havs-2

habs-3

habs-4

1,371 Comments

1. Fransaskois says:

G’mornin’, Morning Crew! Just getting excited about our prospects and the future of the organization. There was lots of talk yesterday about how great our group of young players are. Not to take away from them as they are an incredible group of players but, we really overlooked how outstanding our prospect pool is at the moment. VERY few teams have anything resembling the skill, balance or depth we have. We covered a lot of weaknesses with this last draft and we’ve come out with a very polished-looking group of players.

Offensive Players
    A-level: Collberg, Beaulieu, Lehkonen
    B-level: Hudon, Nygren, Thomas, Bozon, Thrower
    C-level: Andrighetto, Reway, Bennett, Nystrom, Holland

Role Players
    A-level: McCarron, De La Rose, Tinordi
    B-level: Pateryn, Bournival, Leblanc, Dumont
    C-level: Fournier, Vail, Crisp, Nattinen

Goalies:
    A-level: Fucale
    B-level: Condon, Tokarski
    C-level: Mayer, Delmas

Weaknesses: Wingers with size, highly drafted/over-hyped prospects.

Strengths: Skilled forwards, NHL-ready talent, goaltending depth, character, balance and players with the opportunity to represent their country at higher-levels (WJC).

Hockey’s Future with a review of MTL’s draft:

• Tom says:

I like the way you think. Its easy to get down on the way the Habs drafted because our “Christmas lists” weren’t filled up. I sure hope they filled up theirs. All we can do is enjoy the ride while we appreciate the talent and skill that is there.

One of the best parts about following the prospects is the hope, possibility and optimism that comes with it. It seems as if there is only one way to go; an upward trajectory. And that’s pretty exciting. These kids are living out the dream; and that’s pretty dandy too.

Keep the good posts coming, buddy.

-T.

Have Habs signed any more character today? Need MOAR character.

3. Sportfan says:

So anyone got any fun rumors to talk about trades and such? Seeing a lot of Peckham talk.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• ProHabs says:

I would trade Marc Bergevin for Peter Chirelli.

• kotz says:

I would offer Price and Plekanec to Vancouver for Luongo, Kesler and 10M.

Both teams get a local goalie, both teams get a #2 center with 3yrs/5M left.

Montreal gets size down the middle and a goalie that can get a save% of 0.920 instead of 0.905, Vancouver puts an end to the whole goalie saga and gets a center that can play 82 games (who cares for the playoffs part – it’s Vancouver, they always choke anyway).
      ____________________________________
      You can fool some people sometimes.
      But you can’t fool all the people all the times.
      - Bob Marley

• Steven says:

It’s almost a steal for us. Luongo vs Price is in Price’s favour but not by a lot, and Kesler is a much better player than Plek, though he’s pretty famous for diving.

The only real disadvantage is the fact that Price has a good 10 years or more left to play and Luongo will probably hang em up in around 6, along with that massive contract of his. Only way I do that trade is if I’m certain Fucale will be a good to great #1 someday soon, at which point it’s almost a no-brainer.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Luongo, who is 34, has 6 years left to play while Carey, who is 25, has ’10 years or more’? 10 years brings him to 35 – one year older than Luongo is currently. And yes, I sort of ignored the ‘or more’ part of your statement because the 10 years lowballs Price compared to Luongo for some reason.

4. Bigdawg says:

Jagr, Brunner, Penner….while they would help the habs, it would mean we need to trade someone to make room for them.

Really the habs should do all they can to try and land a legit top 4 D. That should be the priority.

DD, Gally, Briere, Plek, Gio, Chuck, Bourque, Max, Eller – that’s nine top 9s right there. not the biggest badest or meanest but certainly competitive.

parros, white (if he signs), moen, prust – 4 good 4th liners. All that is missing here is a good defensive face specialist.

subban markov gorges emelin -that’s 4 top 4s, one of which is injured into the season. And I would argue it more like one #1 and three #4s.

Diaz, boullion, drewskie – serviceable 5,6 and 7 D – works for me. Though if boullion were 6 inches taller or drewskie were more physical – it would then be ideal.

so if I were MB:
    priority #1 – a top2 D
    priority #2 – a faceoff specialist capable of taking shifts against tough competition

5. Marc10 says:

If I’m Ottawa (and assuming Melnyk isn’t going broke), I would take a punt on getting Damian Brummer as a UFA to partially replace Silfverberg.

Otherwise I’d assume he’d be getting a lot of coin from a place like Nashville.

There’s also Grabo out there. Has he signed yet? Ottawa should look at picking him up so he can pay TO back for casting him loose…

6. WhatUp says:

for what it’s worth (my opinion): I can’t see MB signing any UFA’s as Habs have already enough players on their roster (need to find a place and ice time). Our D needs work. assuming that Bouillon and Tinordi/ other new kid is the 3rd pairing and PK/ Gorges the 1st Diaz and Markov are tradable (for different reasons). Markov has a NTC to consider. also up front we are deep at C but need a tough/ big scoring winger.
    some trades I could see (and these would hurt and help – need some balance here = consider the other team) Win = Bogosian/ Kane/ + – Eller (Win desperate for C)/ Diaz/ Moen (cap)/ Beaulieu, Phil = Coburn/ Simmonds/ Talbot – Moen/ Beaulieu/ Gallagher (cap reasons), Blues (can’t figure this one out but suspect Perron/ Stewart). I would rather trade Plecks than Eller and Markov than Beaulieu but they hold a NTC and cost more cap $
    All and all UFA’s only once trades are complete so that MB sees the end result and keeps cap room (not before). if we trade we should fill a void but to get quality you have to give quality.
    my 2 cents.

7. jedimyrmidon says:

Another trend from the development camp:

Pateryn seems to have a great deal of physicality to his game, and was restraining himself from plastering other players when he could have because of the situation.

• Pieboy says:

I know Pateryn didn’t get a long look when he was up here. I thought he was unspectacular but steady and physical. Hoping we’ll get another longer look this year.

8. Plekasuares says:

Who would trade Plekanec he is the MVP of the habs

• Bigdawg says:

a bruins fan

• Just A Guy says:

If you whittle down the list you end up with something quite unremarkable:

Desharnais
      Gionta
      Gorges
      Diaz

In truth, and I hate to say it because I think the both of them should be given the opportunity to retire as a hab, Pleks and Markov represent the best of what is not part of a long term plan.

9. Just A Guy says:

MB tabled an RFA offer to White, I also suspect that Parros is not MB’s first choice for 4th line RW when the season starts. I’m beginning to think a lot of his acquisition has to do with pounding the snot out of Eric Gryba (called in a favor from Tallon ;) ), but I digress. If the habs were serious about Jagr, thats 25 players on the roster methinks with Emelin starting the season on IR, possibly Gionta? If so, the habs barely squeeze by on the roster count, but a Jagr sized contract would put them over the cap.

Keep us guessing MB! This is getting interesting.

• Bigdawg says:

I don’t think Parros will suit up for all the games. Only games when we want to ice a fighter to beat someone up

• Just A Guy says:

That was part of the point I was trying to make. The roster issue was what made me think the Briere talks were smoke and mirrors, and now there is Jagr talk. Even if White is the depth signing for 4th line RW, signing Jagr puts the habs both over the cap and roster limit.

Interesting times indeed :)

10. Haborama says:

If MB signs Peckham, I will jump for joy and sign “Dream On” as loudly as possible (and get kicked out of the Holiday Inn) whilst dancing badly.

• HabFanSince72 says:

From Theo’s wikipedia page:

“During the NHL lockout, on November 5, 2012, Peckham signed with the San Francisco Bulls of the ECHL to keep in game shape. He played in four games for 11 penalty minutes before leaving the team, never reaching NHL physical form.”

• SlovakHab says:

All right, so I won’t tell you that he had a mono earlier this year, played very limited amount of games because of being out of shape and has been let go by on of the most defensively-weak teams in NHL who are starving for good sized D-men, or any useful defenceman for that matter.

All people can see is this and nothing else matters:
      Height 6.02 — Weight 234

11. Lafleurguy says:

I posted a welcome to chesterfiled and this mispost shows up. But while I’m here, Here’s the Hockey New list of top ten late picks:
    North America
    1. Brett Hull (117th)
    2. Luc Robitaille (171st)
    3. Doug Gilmour (134th)
    4. Steve Larmer (120th)
    5. Ron Hextalll (119th)
    6. Theoren Fleury (166th)
    7. Rick Tocchet (125th)
    8. Gary Suter (180th)
    9. Dave Taylor (210th)
    10. Andy Moog (132nd)

European
    1. Dominik Hasek (207th)
    2. Pavel Bure (113th)
    3. Daniel Alfredsson (133rd)
    4. Henrik Zetterberg (210th)
    5. Slava Fetisov (150th)
    6. Peter Bondra (156th)
    7. Igor Larionov (214th)
    8. Pavel Datsyuk (171st)
    9. Evgeny Nabokov (219th)
    10. Tomas Kaberle (204th)

12. petefleet says:

It looks like MB has another trade up his sleeve. He is quickly amassing assets but not getting rid of any. The forward positions are getting crowded. I count 4 top 6 centres, maybe five if Chucky graduates. I’d like to see DD and Gionta traded before Sept. and I know Gionta is not a centre, but he has to go.

******************************************
    I haven’t been wrong in a long time…..not feeling like today is the day.

***Go Habs Go***

13. ahabsfanoutwest says:

Theo Peckham to the habs fills out our d and adds some mean sob stuff which we need, the boy has a lot to prove and a chip on his considerable shoulders

Leo

• ProHabs says:

Does anyone have any sources that could confirm or deny if the Habs are talking to Theo Peckhams people. I would love to see them sign Theo.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I agree Peckham could be a good fit, big and tough with a bit of a mean streak. He came to Oilers training camp last year out of shape and never got it going. Hopefully he learned from that.

• Haborama says:

to say that Peckham has a bit of a mean streak is to say that WWI was a “disagreement”

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Agreed, OK how about if I say that Peckham can be downright ornery.

He would certainly bring some nastiness to the Habs defense and I would think MB has probably given it some thought. Was coming to the Oilers training camp out of shape a sign of immaturity or just a 1 time mistake that he learned from. I suspect MB has probably investigated that part.

• SlovakHab says:

No problem that he can’t keep in shape and never cared to be in a hockey-player fitness level. Or that he’s been let go by a team that is short on defence and could use a large D-man as much as us…

Theo: “Coach, they are outplaying us, and I can’t keep up with their speed and agility. What should I do?”

Coach:”No worries, mate! Just keep that chip on your shoulder and you’ll be all right!!”

14. kerrgte says:

i think the signing of Fournier, Andrighetto, and other over agers is a very good thing. These are players who will be ready sooner, have proven their determination to play professsionally, and generally exhibit ‘character” and may try harder.

MB is doing a great job. He’s catching us up to other teams with more players in their development phase.

cheers

15. jedimyrmidon says:

Reading as much as I could about the Habs development camp, there are two virtually unanimous observations:

1) Collberg is really impressive; solidifying his projection as a (rel. near) future Top 6 player
    2) Tinordi didn’t belong at the camp

• ProHabs says:

Was Tinordi that bad. That doesn’t bode well.

• SlovakHab says:

I also read on 2 sources that he was head and shoulders above the rest, but 3rd source was a bit less enthusiastic:

There is likely not much left to learn at a camp like this for Tinordi, but those wanting to watch him dominate might have left a little unhappy. Tinordi wasn’t overly physical this week, and while he showed his strong skating ability and hockey sense in jumping into the rush during scrimmages, he was also prone to occasional defensive lapses. This mirrored his play in Hamilton over the past year, and is another factor in why Greg Pateryn may be the more NHL ready of the two and an underdog favourite to steal any opening on the Montreal defense. There is no cause for concern with Tinordi who is still growing into his frame and working on his play in his own end, but fans need to be realistic with his development as a defensive d-man and give him time to work out the kinks in the AHL should more time there be required.

Read this report on AllHabs.net

• jedimyrmidon says:

I read that article too, but that was just about the only person who thought that way. There were a number of other people who went to the development camp who also saw him and clearly found him to be above the rest of the prospects – and I don’t think they were exaggerating it either.

The guy who wrote that article also seems to be higher on Nystrom than others (not that others didn’t think he was good or anything, but it seems).

16. petefleet says:

I like the Fournier signing. Good character guy who will do anything to win and protect his star players. Good hands around the net too. Big body who is not scared to go to the net and stay there. A threat on the PP to score every time. Can’t imagine wanting anything else out of a forward. Good signing for the Habs. I hope he makes the big team this fall.

******************************************
    I haven’t been wrong in a long time…..not feeling like today is the day.

***Go Habs Go***

17. kerrgte says:

maybe there’ll be more signings of free agents. I believe that was the purpose of the development camp – Duffy maybe ??

18. BELIEVE IT OR NOT says:

If MB can pull of a trade that will help the Habs. I’m all for it. I don’t want a trade for the sake of getting new faces. That was PG and BG’s style.

19. Andy says:

Arnou makes a good point about the higher taxes for the players in Montreal. I wonder if it was reversed and Montreal had low to no tax and had basically more money to work with (by this I mean, when negotiating with players they could tell them there take home would be more than if they signed a higher contract in a more taxed city) then the league would step in and do a balanced cap based on taxation rates, but since the taxation is lower in the southern struggling team states (for example Dallas) they league lets it go to try and give them an advantage in attracting talent and hoping they can be successful and attract fans.

Maybe I am just a conspiracy nut on this.

20. Arnou Ruelle says:

I like to know your input guys:

I watched the Free Agent Frenzy since last Friday. I thought the Habs will get a good player to sign here, but somehow MB did not made any significant moves.

However, I do think that if Bergevin would consider making ‘some’ moves tomorrow, I hope he would have the following players:

(a) Damien Brunner (RW): 5’11 – 12G, 14A, 26pts.
    - Size is not a factor with Brunner. The fact that he is one of the top scorers last regular season with the Detroit Red Wings, how can Marc Bergevin pass the opportunity to get this player? He’s there for the taking! He opted not to sign with Detroit. Furthermore, he is a close friend of Rafael Diaz.

(b) Dustin Penner (LW): 6’4 – 2G, 12A, 14pts.
    - I’m not discouraged by the stats he got last season. What attracts this guy to what MTL needs is this ‘size’ issue. Also, he’s a good, solid winger who can score and could play defensively. He won 2 Stanley Cups and he also knows Travis Moen.

IMHO, these 2 players “might” bring the Balance that the GM is talking about!

• habs1992 says:

I have not heard too much about either of them, Late Saturday afternoon there were rumors about Penner to Montreal. I quickly text my Source he responded, “I don’ see it happening”. So id be stunned if either of them come to Montreal. Don’t look for more anymore signings. look for a trade from MB.

I support Carey Price
      “Habs Insider”

• Arnou Ruelle says:

If a trade is going to happen, who? If Desharnais, no problem (As long as there’s a good return!).

What worries me right now is this swirling rumor that Jaromir Jagr could sign with the CH any moment.

Its not that I don’t like the guy, I mean he could be effective with Pleky on the 1st or 2nd line. I find him old and injury prone.

• Andy says:

From what I hear Brunner is looking for a big raise (not sure how much above his contract this year but i would think a big bump) on this contract and his limited play in the NHL may be making some GM think twice.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

Oh Boy! thanks for the info. I can see this happening to both of them unable to sign here. Not only they could ask for top $$$, you factor the high taxes to pay here would hinder anyone to come here. I feel that Vinny L. declined to come here is the dollars, terms, and taxes of his contract offer.

• BELIEVE IT OR NOT says:

MB knows what he’s doing. No to both of these Guys

• habbernack says:

Could he take the Ryder vacancy?

21. Mark C says:

Was just looking at some stats and come across something interesting. DD had 6 more points and his plus/minus was better by 6 on the road. This seems be debunk the HIO myth about him stuggling while other teams match up with the last change.

22. gumper says:

Sorry if this has been asked, but why would all 30 teams pass over Fournier 7 times…72 pts, +17, 100 pim, 6’3″, 212 lb., leadership…? What’s wrong with him?

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
    Mark Twain