Habs sign first-round draft pick Scherbak

The Canadiens announced Monday that they have signed Nikita Scherbak to a three-year, NHL entry-level contract after making him their first-round pick (26th overall) at this year’s NHL draft.

In 65 regular-season games last season with the WHL’s Saskatoon Blades, the 6-foot-2, 189-pound right-winger posted 28-50-78 totals, along with 46 penalty minutes. The 18-year-old led all WHL rookies in scoring and led his team in goals, assists and points.

“I want to play in the NHL next season and I’m working hard to make that dream come true,” Scherbak told reporters earlier this month when he attended the Canadiens’ development camp in Brossard.

Said GM Marc Bergevin at the time about Scherbak playing in the NHL next season: “Whether he makes the team or not is up to him.”

Terms of the contract were not disclosed by the Canadiens, but Scherbak will earn the entry-level maximum of $925,000 if he plays in the NHL and $70,000 if he plays in the AHL. There is also a bonus involved and the start of the contract will be delayed if he goes back to junior next season.

Scherbak, a Russian, spoke no English when he arrived in Saskatoon last fall but quickly picked it up “by talking to people.” He said he’ll apply the same approach to learning French.

Before the NHL draft, Dan Marr, the NHL’s director of Central Scouting, told The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell that Scherbak was “one of the more exciting players in his draft class.” Marr added that Scherbak is “ultra quick” with an impeccable sense of timing to be open – “just to get the puck or take the shot. He finds the openings out there.”

“This is a kid with NHL skills,” Marr added.

There’s also good news about another Habs prospect. NHL.com reported that Tim Bozon, who spent four weeks in a Saskatchewan hospital earlier this year with a severe form of meningitis and was placed in a medically induced coma, will play for France at an under-23 tournament in the Czech Republic that begins on July 31.

Bozon was released from hospital on March 28 and has been working with the Canadiens’ training staff. Bozon, a left-winger who is listed at 6-foot-1 and 199 pounds, played 50 games for the WHL’s Kootenay Ice last season, posting 30-32-62 totals. The Canadiens selected him in the third round (64th overall) at the 2012 NHL draft.

In other news, the Canadiens announced Monday that defenceman Bobby Shea has been signed to a one-year, two-way contract for the AHL/ECHL.

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

Habs sign first-round pick Scherbak, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Bozon to play again after health scare, NHL.com

Bulldogs sign defenceman Bobby Shea, hamiltonbulldogs.com

Caps’ Oveckhin dumped by fiancee Kirilenko, montrealgazette.com

1. HammerHab says:

First off, I believe Eller and Subban will sign without arbitration. I hope this is the case. I cant remember the exact number but I think it was somewhere around 70% of players who go to arbitration dont sign another contract with that same team.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

2. Un Canadien errant says:

Just a clarification about Thomas Vanek being “put on RW rather than his preferred left wing”: Thomas actually started on RW when he first played for the Canadiens.

I know it’s fashionable to beat on Michel Therrien and blame him for any player underperforming, but in this case the way this went down is very clearly on the record. Michel Therrien explained openly in his presser after the trade that he and Thomas sat down and discussed what he preferred, and he said he liked left wing better. So Michel Therrien after this conversation put him on Tomas Plekanec’s left wing, and he explained that that’s how you make these decisions, with input from the players, but sometimes it’s not always possible to accede to their wishes.

When he didn’t produce there, he just didn’t click, he was moved on to David’s line, but with Max on the left wing already, Tomas had to play right wing. And after a couple games, the line took off.

And again Thomas didn’t sulk about playing right wing. If we accept that he sulked during the playoffs, it wasn’t about LW-RW, it was about not being on David’s line, the #1 line.

Before this meme becomes HIO canon, like “Hal Gill hates Michel Therrien he said so to Dave Stubbs”, a rumour we accept as currency on here, I wanted to stop it in its tracks. Thomas Vanek had an opportunity to play LW right off the bat, but was moved to LW on the #1 line when that didn’t work out. And he preferred it there.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

3. Loop_Garoo says:

Can you imagine what the NHL, or our own lives would look like if people actually acted like many on here assume they will, if every player who “suffered” through a 3 min benching Feb. demanded a trade, or in our own lives if we upended our families and moved to a different coast every time our boss or a client asked for something different from us?

Players and agents are adults involved in business negotiations, and are quite capable of acting like adults.

If players acted like this 2/3 of the league would be playing for different teams every year, dressing rooms would be filled with players cuddling their blankies and soothers after the game, coaches jumping up and down, stomping their feet at the ref’s (yes I know Torts does this) etc. It would be the world’s most expensive day car facility.

4. shiram says:

New thread if you wanna discuss DD’s handicap.

5. krob1000 says:

Antoine Roussel…4 yrs 8 million 14goals, 15 assists….should make things a bit better after the Ennis contract when comparing Eller…Eller is porbably right in between the two…so around 3 plus is about right and 4 years IMO would be ideal.

6. shiram says:

Parenteau happy to be a Habs.

He says MTL has a better team than Colorado.

7. Steeltown Hab says:

Here’s the deal with Eller re: Arbitration.

If Bergevin values Eller, he signs him long term and we get a great asset for a cheap price. 4 yrs at 3.5 (same as DD) would be a steal.

If Bergevin isn’t sure, he takes it to arbitration and Eller is gone and thriving with another team in a year or so.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• bwoar says:

4 years at 2.5 would be a steal. If he gets DD money, something is very wrong. I think Eller will get a 2 year contract, not sure about the dollars.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Not nearly that simple. Just because he goes to arbitration does not mean that he has to play for another team in a year or two. We sometimes forget that athletes are generally mature adults and quite capable of behaving as such.

I would love to see a longer term deal for Eller, however, he is not irreplaceable, and if it goes to arbitration, then we try and sign him long term next year.

• Habfan17 says:

I am not sure why some equate going to arbitration and then signing a one or two year deal at then having to be traded.
        There is no logic to that. There is as much chance of being traded after signing a contract without going to arbitration, just ask Briere Gorges, and Cole!

Habfan17

• habstrinifan says:

I agree with the tone of your post.

My expectations:

If they avoid arbitration (only 3 more days?) then it would be a deal which has both greater than 2 yrs re term deal (3 or 4 yrs) and surprisingly big money 3.5 to 4m when averaged out.

Therefore I am NOT seeing a deal. At arbitration I am expecting Eller to be seeking as short a term as possible which would pass him into UFA status at contract’s end.

Eller comes across as a guy who neither brown noses (lets go with lots of clliches or platitudes) or really rocks the boat. He doesnt see himself as a superstar but neither does he see himself as a low end to average utility player. He sees himself as top 6.

And I dont think he feels comfortable that he will be treated consistently as a top 6 here.

This is my take. No haters please… just sigh or do whatever and move on. I hate the “so you are in the dressing room” inanity. This is strictly MY opinion.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• New says:

I think the team wants to keep Eller but doesn’t want to go long term money yet. Young guys with big contracts are hard to move if they don’t pan out. I think Eller doesn’t want to go long term unless there is big money, hockey isn’t charity work. So to me it would make sense for the team to offer Eller long term smaller money, and Eller to select arbitration. Once that is settled the Canadiens can walk away from the award, select one or two years and defer the decision, or move Eller I suppose. Regardless that will give them a cap figure to sign Subban under, go to arbitration, walk away from, select one or two years, trade him, and plan for the future I suppose.

In other words it makes sense to let it go to the arbitration process from a financial perspective. The cap drives all other decisions.

8. on2ndthought says:

On Gorges: way above average skater with above average defensive awareness. This is going to sound ironic, but Gorges had to read the play and skate into position to take those bone crushing hits, while (usually) getting the puck to safety. In the offensive zone he as often as not gave up possession with his ‘shot’, something that drove me crazy.

He was signed to a contract when the team, above all, needed some heart and soul. It is time for him to take that to Buffalo. I wish him well and the habs weller.

“a cannonading drive”

9. bwoar says:

Gorges better than Emelin? At what, banging a puck off the glass to the other team? Backpedaling into his own net and pretending to be a goalie? Pffffft.

• Kooch7800 says:

lol. I was reading the article on Franson this morning and his 3.3 mill for one year and was wondering how in the heck did Gorges get 3.9 mill for so many years and this deal was in 2012….

• bwoar says:

I think the timing had a ton to do with it, as well as his willingness to take the 1-year contract previously as the org wanted to test his knee post-surgery.

I knock the guy a ton, but as a pro, and a teammate, he was a good one. If he’d been given a contract for half the money, he’d still be a Hab. I don’t think Bergevin will make the same mistakes as the previous organization.

• Phil C says:

We are not comparing Gorges to Bobby Orr, Emelin had some horrendously bad games last season whereas Gorges was quite reliable and steady. And he is better with the puck in his own end than many give him credit for.

Emelin at his best is better than Gorges, I give you that, but at his worst he was frightening to watch at times.

• bwoar says:

No question Phil, he was terrible in some games. I’m very anxious to watch how he does on the left. I think he’ll bring some added offense to the PP this year too.

10. Habfan17 says:

So, the big Leafs announcement is they hired a new assistant GM who was a GM for one season in the OHL with The Sault!
    Kyle Dubas in, Poulin and Loiselle out! May one of them be the next assistant coach with Montreal?

Habfan17

11. Habfan17 says:

I am not worried that we have not heard anything regarding Eller and Subban. There was absolutely no indication out there that the Habs were looking to sign Sherbak at this time and now he is signed. Both players will get signed in my opinion.

Habfan17

• Cardiac says:

Exactly! There is so much paranoia surrounding these signings and the possibility of arbitration. I think the team elected to go to arbitration in order to protect these players from getting offers from other clubs.

And even if they go to arbitration, and if either or both sign one or two years deals and become UFAs doesn’t guarantee they will leave town after said contracts expire.

Everyone calm down, breathe and stop trying to cross bridges before you come to them…

– Jerry Maguire

• Loop_Garoo says:

I think you are right about protecting the players from offers, and it also guarantees that both are in the opening day line up, as well as being a deadline that puts additional pressure on the player to sign as soon as possible. Arbitration can be awkward, but there seems to be this perception among some of us that after arbitration, the player will spend a year or two pouting and whining like some kid before leaving. This is a business, the players are adults, and either a business agreement will be reached, or it won’t. In the case of both PK and Eller, I would put the odds overwhelmingly in favour of both signing long term, in Montreal, either now or next summer. PK grew up a Habs fan and there is no other city in which he would be as big a star, and make as much endorsement and appearance money as in Montreal. I think he plays another 10 years here.

• B says:

Cardiac, it was Eller and Subban who opted for arbitration, not the team.

–Go Habs Go!–

• bwoar says:

Exactly with you, still patient. These will come to the wire and no one will be crying over their new contracts.

• joeybarrie says:

I heard PK saying today that if he wasnt signed by 3pm he was going to wait longer….

12. mdp2011 says:

steve simmons ‏@simmonssteve 1m
    Heads up: There’s something brewing with the Maple Leafs today. Expect an announcement of significance sometime today.

13. Paz says:

NHL is a pro game and the players play it to make a huge living.

But it is no coincidence that Eller and Subban are still unsigned.

Neither player is a great admirer of the coach, or how they are treated.

Let me say this straight out.

If I’m Eller I would not be upset if I was traded.

If I was Subban I would insist that “benching” me be discussed during the contract negotiations.

People who think Subban takes the benching “well” are very misinformed.

• Cal says:

We’re not in the room and privy to private conversations between Eller and MT, nor for PK and MT. You might be right that neither player likes the coach.
      If so, then a trade demand would be made. I haven’t heard of one for either player, despite what we perceive as a rocky relationship among those three.

• Luke says:

I hope PK does not take a benching “well.”

I also hope PK is sharp enough to figure out why a player could get himself benched. And I think he does:
      “We’re running a team here. It’s not P.K.’s team. It’s not Carey Price’s team. It’s the Montreal Canadiens and everybody has to fall under the same rules, so that’s what it is.”

But, you say it in the first line: It’s a Pro game. This isn’t some 8 year old house league where everyone gets equal ice time.

DD, Eller, Bourque (and others) all found themselves as healthy scratches last season because they sucked for extended periods of time. They deserved to be scratched. They were also given plenty of rope. In both DD & Eller’s cases it was around the “15 games of sucking mark” when MT finally sat them.

(Bourque had less rope, but no one seems to be flying a flag in his defense).

PK was benched for a 10 minutes during a 3rd period in January last year because he was playing like an idiot and doing stupid things. He deserved to be benched.

• bwoar says:

I would in no way bring up the benching in contract negotiations, because that would be completely foolish. Not a door Subban’s side should open, as some nasty light may be shed on the parts of his game that caused him to be benched.

As someone who is every bit as well-informed as you and yours, I think #76 has taken it extremely well. He may hate it to pieces, but publicly he’s said all the right things – that’s called “taking it well” by any standard, rather than react like Ryan “Slap in the Face” Johansen is taking his bridge contract.

Subban could whine, piss and moan, but he doesn’t. Mind you, he held out the last time he went without a contract. So there’s that. I’m guessing that doesn’t get brought up either.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Paz, There is absolutely no evidence of that at all, pure conjecture, based on the assumption that the players are all acting like kids. I’m sure PK is never happy to sit on the bench, but to think he’s sitting around pouting about it even a few weeks after the incident is a little bit ridiculous.

14. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Hey now! I was driving through Belleville yesterday and handed our good friend Ian the cash for this year’s Summit ticket… I’m officially in and hyped for it! If you’ve yet to send him your money order and SASE, get it done; it’ll make you feel like hockey season is right around the corner!

Hab fans want choice! Sign the petition to give us back our games!

15. HabsFanInTampa says:

News Headline: Ex-Hab Tomas Vanek was in a Rochester, NY federal courtroom to answer questions about a Federal Gambling investigation being conducted by the Feds.

16. mdp2011 says:

So, anyone else worried that Eller and Subban’s arbitration hearings are fast approaching and neither of them have signed yet or seem close to being signed? I know the Habs are really secretive when it comes to contract talks, but I am starting to get a little worried that we haven’t heard a peep on either contract negotiation. This has the potential to get really ugly. The last thing the Habs need is for Eller and especially Subban to go through arbitration. Colorado is a in a similar boat with Ryan O’Reilly and he will likely walk away in 2 years when he becomes UFA, although Colorado have lots of depth at center and can actually use O’Reilly as a trade chip for a stud defenceman.

• Cardiac says:

NHL salary arbitration is a means in helping settle some contract disputes. The player and team each propose a salary for the coming season, and argue their cases at a hearing. The arbitrator, a neutral third party, then sets the player’s salary.

In the salary cap era, GMs are forced to pinch pennies whenever they can. Marc Bergevin is a smart man and I don’t think he, Subban and Eller are worlds apart. So why would it “get ugly” and why wouldn’t we want it to go to arbitration?

– Jerry Maguire

• mdp2011 says:

Arbitration hearings are not as rosy as you make it sound, that is why teams try to avoid them as much as possible, and contracts are usually hammered out before the hearing. That is why there have only been 1 or 2 in the last 2-3 years. They tend to lead to irreparable damage between team and player. Also, in Subban’s case, if it goes to arbitration, he becomes UFA in 2 years and he will be gone.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Ok, there has already been one or two this year, again the assumption that it is mandatory that PK leaves the team if this goes to arbitration has no foundation in reality.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I wouldn’t say “worried”, but fatalistic. If Subban can’t come to terms with the Habs before arbitration, he will have to be traded within two years, and that would be a shame. I hope he doesn’t go there, but I think he will.
      Worried? No. Discouraged as a fan who likes watching this guy on the ice? Yes.
      PK could be a building block for a club contending for the Cup. But if he cripples the cap situation with his demands, then he becomes a stumbling block, and the future of the team becomes what they can get for him sending him to a market that wants a marquee player, and not necessarily a marquee team. There’s a big gamble there, but one that may be balanced against an 8 year overpayment if the guy has injuries that diminish his effectiveness.
      Please. no more Rucinsky and Thibault trades.
      I hate to see it, but the cap is the cap. Without it, I’d be happy to see the Habs mighty profits spent on whatever the guy thinks he needs to feel good. It’s Molson’s money, some of which at various ‘pints’ in my life used to be mine.
      So yeah, I check the news to see if the two sides have been able to reach a compromise that both can live with. I am a pessimist though. I hope I’m wrong. I’d like to see PK hoisting a Stanley Cup for us before his career is done.

17. DipsyDoodler says:

OK now that we’ve had time to reflect, I think we traded the wrong overpaid defenceman. Should’ve kept Gorges and traded Emelin.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Kooch7800 says:

Emelin will be better this year. He will be playing on his natural side and honestly he brings something our D seriously lacks….hitting.

If we were able to get Franson instead of Gilbert I think that would have made our D even better. Franson can hit and is great offensively.

I can’t knock Gilbert though, he is a decent d man and he really
      wants to play with the habs.

• habsguy92 says:

Did emelin play on his natural side during his rookie year? He had way more heavy/open ice hits that year and Im wondering if it was him playing on his natural side, or that he just caught everyone by surprise.

Hoping he can bring that element back to the game next season.

• Kooch7800 says:

This was the first year I thought he didn’t hit as well but let’s be honest he struggled in a lot of areas this year. Coming back from a major knee surgery and not being able to train and have training camp makes a difference. I have no doubt he will be better

• Cal says:

Stirring it up today?
      Those old HIO battles were legendary, weren’t they?

• DipsyDoodler says:

Actually not stirring it up, but starting a legit discussion. I don’t see why discussing hockey is stirring it up.

Gorges had his good points.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• JohnBellyful says:

If only he had been good at the point.

• Kooch7800 says:

Gorges def had his good points. Big bad one was his contract. If he was making just under 3 or around 3 he never would have been moved. With the huge pay increase coming to Subban etc they had to move him to manage the cap.

Gilbert has apparently wanted to play in Montreal for awhile so I think he will be better than we think.

Our two new additions have both really wanted to play in Montreal. Unlike Briere and actually believe these two

• Cal says:

Bottom pairing Dman on any team with balanced D. Got mushed against the boards often. His only play with the puck is to send it up the boards. He couldn’t clear the net.
          As an aside, I laughed watching him try to play goalie when Tokarski was in against the Rangers. He tried playing goalie and cost the Habs at least 2 goals in a super tight series. I am glad he’ll be toiling in Buffalo.

• thebonscott says:

he was like a sandbag, you could shoot the puck at him, that was pretty much it. Had zero shot, zero hitting ability, scared no one.

• Phil C says:

If I had to win a game tomorrow, I’d probably pick Gorges over Emelin. But to pick a player for the next three years, I’m going with Emelin. He has brings a physical element that the Habs really need, and he has some offensive potential whereas Gorges brings zero offense. Big and mobile is a nice combination for the NHL so I understand why the Habs are gambling a bit on Emelin instead of taking the sure bet in Gorges.

I think a healthy Emelin on the left side will be a much better player than Emelin on the right with a rehabilitating knee. Especially for a physical defensemen because its much easier to hit a player coming down the boards on the left side as a left-hand shot.

I get nervous when I see Emelin flat-footed because it usually means someone is about to make him look like a pylon. When he keeps moving he is much more effective and can be as good as Gorges defensively when he does.

18. frontenac1 says:

Bobby Shea. Light Heavy Weight, 24yrs. 40 career fights with a 59% win rate. Doesn’t look for scraps, but loves dropping his mitts to defend a team mate. Came through the Chicago system so worth a shot for a 1yr 2way in our system for some enforcement on the farm imo. Saludos!

19. DipsyDoodler says:

This Vanek thing.

Do you think there’s anything to it?

I have to admit I’ve never seen a player go from outstanding to utterly ineffective so fast unless he was injured. There were times when he wouldn’t even shoot the puck. Everyone was sure he had a wrist injury.

I’ve seen players struggle. I’ve seen players make stupid mistakes. But this was different.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• CH Marshall says:

I was just joking below. But really, the guy’s play reflected that of a mercenary with a foot out the door

• DipsyDoodler says:

But that’s the point. He played really well until the Boston series.

Also his poor play cost him a lot of money. Why would a guy suddenly stop trying at precisely the point where 1 everyone is watching him and 2 his next contract is on the line.

I can see him not trying Tuesday evening in Long Island. But in the conference finals?
        —–
        Moving. Forward.

• 123456 says:

Nothing to it. It’s NOT about Vanek.

• Loop_Garoo says:

If you look at his contract, he didn’t really lose any money at all. Got almost 7 mill a year to his adopted home to play.

• DipsyDoodler says:

He was getting offered $51M six months ago and took $19M instead.

The annual salary is the same, and if he does well he might sign another big contract, but he left a huge amount of guaranteed income on the table.

—–
            Moving. Forward.

• Loop_Garoo says:

He refused the contract from the Islanders, as he didn’t want to be there, can’t blame him for that. There is no reason to think that he would have gotten anything different from Minny if he’d played well in a couple more playoff games. I think GM’s are smart enough not to base their contracts on a 10 game streak or 10 game slump.

• Cal says:

We shouldn’t assume too much. Nilan’s father-in-law was Whitey Bolger. Does that make Nilan a mafioso?

• DipsyDoodler says:

In not assumin’ I’m hypothesizin’.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Cal says:

My take is he sulked like a spoiled child once he was taken away from DD and Max. His lack of effort during the playoffs when everything is on the line disgusted me. Kovalev used to mail it in, too, just like Vanek did, but not during the playoffs.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Aargh. I hate the “Kovalev mailed it in” meme.

—–
            Moving. Forward.

• Kooch7800 says:

Kovalev was much better in the playoffs than Vanek was. I agree when Kovalev wanted to mail it in he sure did but go back and check his playoff stats.

I can also remember his taking over the series against boston after he blew the one game after he had a slash on the wrist. That was 2003 I believe and he had 10 points in 11 games.

kovalev also has a cup ring. The year the rangers won the cup he had 21 points in 23 playoff games.

Kovalev played in 123 playoff games and had 100 points. I know he mailed it in sometimes but he is a much better player than Vanek will ever be

• Cal says:

@ Dipsy- Why hate the truth? Kovalev’s effort level at least half the time was crap. He should be a guaranteed HoFer, but instead he’s another Ellis Valentine. All talent, no drive.

• Paz says:

The only explanation is that there was a blowout between Vanek and Therrien.

He should have been benched for the Rangers series.

• Phil C says:

This would make a lot of sense to me. There was tension right from the begining when Therrien put him on RW instead of his preferred LW. Also, I don’t think Therrien appreciates offensive players like Vanek and Briere, or Subban for that matter. There always seems to be friction with these type of players. That’s why I really hope they get a strong offensively-minded assistant coach who Therrien might listen to.

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t know what happened with Vanek and sadly we never will. I don’t really agree with calling Briere an offensive player anymore. He was brought in and told he was going to play right wing. if you recall at the start of the season Briere was on the PP and was in the top six and looked awful and he bounced around from line to line. There was a reason he wasn’t in the top 6 in philly anymore either.

Briere was brought in to fill a RW spot in the top six which to me was like fitting a round peg in a square hole. He prefers centre but for 4 million a year he just isn’t worth it. I can remember watching his compete level is some of the games and being blown away by how easily he gave up on the puck. The one game in Toronto really stuck out for me. He is just an offensive player past his prime. That mistake was a gamble and a bad one at that.

I have never been a PA fan either but he has a ton more upside than Briere does and he is a RW. Makes sense to me

• Phil C says:

It will be interesting to see how PAP and Therrien get along.

• Kooch7800 says:

I haven’t seen PA play enough to really say how he is defensively but if he isn’t scoring and is costing the team he and MT won’t get a long at all.

I have a feeling he will have a good start. He is pumped to be playing in Montreal and DD is his buddy. It would make sense to start him with DD and Max and see if they have chemistry. If they do that would be great……now we just need one more RW that can score.

• ont fan says:

Vanek was ineffective at the Olympics also. Some don’t play well on the big stage.

• Scotty90 says:

I forget what game it was but there was one where PK was going for a hit and clipped Vanek who then appeared visibly shaken… his game seemed to go down from there. Anyone remember that incident?

20. Cal says:

3 days to go until Eller is due for his arbitration hearing. I am hoping MB will avoid that. It does no one any good when management has to talk about any weaknesses in a player’s game.

21. bwoar says:

Ovechkin = Hobgoblin

I kinda like him in spite of that. He must be pretty repulsive not to pull some actually good looking girls. I’m gonna pretend he’s a comic anti-hero and has lost his way back to his stoney cavern, only to find himself embroiled in a game he doesn’t quite understand.

22. Mavid ® says:

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

23. CH Marshall says:

Oh no! Ovie’s single!

24. chrskwn says:

tsn report: wild’s vanek appears in court over gambling investigations

25. Habitant in Surrey says:

Dalton Thrower signed to 3 year entry-level deal by Habs according to Twitter

Is this new news, or old news ?

26. slyCH says:

27. Arnou Ruelle says:

Woohee, I have not posted in a while.

Ok, I just saw a post from jrshabs1 about the lineup.

Here’s the thing, if Jacob de la Rose does make it with the Habs lineup, or, does play with the Bulldogs and may require to play here, there’s going to be a log jam at Center. It will either be Galchenyuk or Plekanec to sit during games. Maybe, Galchenyuk or de la Rose at LW.

Michel Therrien will have to make some huge decisions on how to tweak the team, which, will probably make fans erk again like what happen last season.

Another position to look at is between the Bournival/Prust switch. Which one would you utilize the most?

28. punkster says:

Remember this?

I do and I’ll not likely forget it either.

Release the Subbang!!!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Next to the sunshine on the river and My Kidz, this warmed My cockels the most today.

• PK says:

Thanks for the video.
      Already looking forward to next season.

GHG!!!

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• Marc10 says:

HD slow mo. Nice touch.
      When does training camp start? GHG

29. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Picture of Ovechkin looking like a goblin with his hot blonde fiancee and a title above the picture on how she just dumped him…brutal. Let the one-liners begin…

30. sportsfaninyyc says:

Vanek being questioned by the gov’t re involvement in a gambling ring, as per Pro Hockey Talk.

Looks like a great bunch of members are making the trip to this years Summit festivities.
    I have perfected my leopard skin table dance, which will be another highlight of the weekend for sure!

Our 8th annual 2014 HIO Fan Summit is, Nov.29th weekend.

ITINERARY & LOCATIONS
    We are staying at the Novotel hotel, discount rates at 866-861-6112 Tell them you are with HIO to get your discount.

We will all meet and greet at Hurley’s pub Friday eve. on Crescent St. Some of us will be having supper there. Big screen for Hab’s at Buffalo game for us on the 2nd floor, and name tags will be given out.

Saturday morning, breakfast is at Chez Cora’s at 8:30am. 1240 Drummond St. You can order a la cart and everyone gets 15% discount off your bill.

After breakfast we walk over to the Bell Center and Hall of Fame Tours.

At 3pm the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation charity raffle at the Baton Rouge restaurant 1050 Mountain St.
    Each person is asked to bring one gift item to donate for the charity raffle, so everyone gets a gift to go home with.

Then our Baton Rouge restaurant pre game dinner. With special guests.

After dinner we walk across the street to see the Hab’s take on Gionta, Gorges and the Buffalo Sabers.

After the game the 2nd floor of Hurley’s pub is reserved for us again, to celebrate the win. Just identify yourself as a HIO member.

Please be generous with your charity raffle gifts and your purchase of raffle tickets. It is a way for the HIO community to give back to less fortunate kids.

Enjoy talking hockey and meeting your wonderful HIO community at this years Summit.
    Ian
    Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

32. Un Canadien errant says:

From Elliotte Friedman’s 30 Thoughts:

21. Edmonton landed two of its top targets in free agency — Mark Fayne and Benoit Pouliot. (Someone was willing to go a sixth year on Pouliot, so the Oilers went to five to get him.) They also took a run at Olli Jokinen, who took slightly less in salary elsewhere (but in a tax-free state). They’re going to look for a centre, because they don’t want to rush Leon Draisaitl for no reason. Same goes for Darnell Nurse. Sault Ste. Marie has a good rep, so I don’t think it would bother Edmonton if he needs to go back there and try for the World Juniors.

Sounds to me like someone was hoodwinked. Someone was ready to go to six years for Benoit? Not a chance.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I find that hard to believe as well. Having said that, some nights Pouliot can look like a star, some great moves, excellent skater, good size, can even fight when he has to. If he could bring that on a regular basis then he would be worth the money but so far in his career he has been consistently inconsistent. The Oilers are taking a big gamble with a 5 year deal.

• Marc10 says:

The Islanders? That is the only answer possible.

There are quite a few teams that wouldn’t want a bar of Benny P. It’s hard to believe how much he got on the open market considering Boyle took next to nothing to play in TB. Weird.

• Loop_Garoo says:

I think that, as odd as it is to say this, he has become a smarter and more well-rounded player overall, and then still has the occasional flash of something more. Was shocked to see him get 5 years, however not as shocked as I would have been a few years back.

• slyCH says:

That line was an obvious “throw in”

I had quite the chuckle from it…

Then my mind raced through the 80’s oilers team and a tear ran down my cheek.

They were a Habs like dynasty…Run by travesty.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

This is the full text of what Friedman said, he is actually good with the contract? Maybe the Leafs were offering 6?

I’m fine with the Pouliot contract. This was the lesson of David Clarkson last summer, but the club got a better player and a better match. I know the money is dear, but the Oilers need a specific player-type and Pouliot fits. It’s like Gordon a year ago. This is also the passage that mentions their third target (Jokinen) along with Fayne and Pouliot—we can discuss it later but that would appear to be a fairly nice group from this summer’s free agents.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If Fayne and Pouliot are “top targets” for your team…you need a better GM.

33. jrshabs1 says:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
    Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Sekac
    Bourque-Eller-Parenteau
    Bournival/Prust-Malholtra-Weise

Markov-Subban
    Emelin-Gilbert
    Beaulieu-Weaver
    Tinordi

Price
    Tokarski
    Budaj

That’s a pretty solid line up as it stands now. I’ve only heard good things about Sekak, I think he’s going to be MB’s summertime gem.
    Go Habs Go!!!!!

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

Do you think Parenteau will be happy with the 3rd line since “obviously I am a top 6 forward”.

• kevin says:

Parenteau will be with DD and max, in my opinion. Till they team hits a slump then MT will break up our only scoring ling to spread the scoring around like he did against the Rangers. That worked well.

PEIKC

34. Habitant in Surrey says:

Ain’t summer-time great ?

I can sit here by the river with My Kidz and riff with Them about Sekac, Sherbak and Galchenyuk scoring 50 goals each this coming season :)

____________________________________________________

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

35. Un Canadien errant says:

Video of P.A. Parenteau

and David Desharnais

talking about the coming season.

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

36. Un Canadien errant says:

Neil de Mause has been beaten down so much that he’s lost his sense of outrage. Bankrupt Detroit is spending $300M of tax money to build pizza billionaire Mike Illitch a new arena? Oh well, par for the course, he guesses…

———————————————————————–
    It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

• slyCH says:

Without clicking on the link… Norman,
      mon bon potte,
      Neil is from the Brooklyn hood of NY. He does not have a pulse on Detroit. His view does not translate to mass scale corruption.
      Nor does yours, all the way in (what I think) beautiful Vancouver.
      That arena in Detroit looks good on paper and could very well bring a boom to the bankrupt city of Gotham….Detroit?
      Ah! Frack! Yeah. Um.

Do you not like Pizza?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’m on the record with my pizza posts from last summer.

And Neil de Mause is kind of the expert on wasteful public spending on private sports teams and their stadiums. I highly recommend his blog and his book.

All studies show that pro sports teams do very little to generate economic activity in a city or region. All that happens is that local patrons reallocate their discretionary income. And the revitalization aspect is also routinely oversold, by the hucksters who want to bilk taxpayers of the revenue that should go to building schools and hospitals and youth baseball programs and libraries.

• slyCH says:

Ahhhh, ok. Neil lost his step, or did he lose his way. If I was to click the link would I do both. So I’m all for the fallen horses you mention.

I’m not here to diminish or belittle an observation. I’m simply curious. Why should one be prone to one.

• scamorza says:

yup along the same lines of what the olympics , world cups etc do for the economy. how long ago was it that montreal paid off the 76 games – not that long – a few years? still love the aislin cartoon showing a pregnant Drapeau

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• DipsyDoodler says:

They’re actually talking about selling the Museum’s famous art collection they’re so broke.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

37. Habitant in Surrey says:

#RogersPetition Update

After a couple Summer Dog Dayz, We have had a surge of about 100 signatures in the past 24 hours.

It’s at 1, 735 at this time …closing-in on 2. 000.

Buzz increasing in media and among fans.

There are some noises that Roger’s are aware and looking at alternatives.

That, of course, is speculation and only rumours until We hear it from the donkey’s mouth.

Keep the pressure on until We hear the donkey bray, I say ! :)

To the latest and previous true-hearted Habs Fans to sign, I say merci !, …and thank you very much;

David Smith

TED O’DEA
    just now

____________________________________________________

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

• slyCH says:

I’m surprised you are below 3.000. Not a great deal of Hab fans follow HIO. Obviously.

It’s got to be spread out to other outlets in the greater Canada…

• Grimmly says:

I don’t understand how you guys think this is going to help? I mean alternatives, they already have one, center ice. Im starting a petition to get the cost of gas lowered, i want you all to sign it since we all know its out of control! Oh wait, we are smart enough to know that wont do anything, i don’t understand why so much effort is being put into something so futile.

38. Prop says:

I doubt it has anything to do with his tenure with the Habs, but…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• slyCH says:

It’s a… WASH.

Get it?

• slyCH says:

Hey, you still coming in august?

• Prop says:

Hey man! Right now my trip is in kind of a limbo. My wife is in line for a promotion at work and her training falls on our vacation time. We may have to delay for a minimum of one month.

____________________
        DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• slyCH says:

I (normally) take september off.

Kind of an iffy proposition I’ve been mulling all day lately.
          I’ve taken that month off for years but… I’m anxious to bring it up to the owner this year after all the changes.
          He might not want me away that long. Not with this bunch. I’m the only supervisor left.
          But.
          I know that he knows I won’t do another year at his place without killing.

So.

September. The slowest month on the island. It is.

I’ll be free to show you around.

Congrats on the wife’s promotion!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I thought it was the Habs who gambled and lost…

39. B says:

Arbitration awards Sobotka $2.725M for 1 year.

–Go Habs Go!–

40. slyCH says:

Do you think first-round draft pick Nikita Scherbak should start next season with the Canadiens?
    A) Yes
    B) No
    C) When you wish upon a Hab star, there’s no limit who you’ll start.
    D) Duhhh…
    E) “Whether he makes the team or not is up to him.”

41. Maritime Ronn says:

Chris writes in reference to Michael McCarron
    July 21, 2014 at 3:17 pm

“…He can’t play in the AHL. Drafted players frequently get signed by their NHL club only to play another season or two in junior.
    ————————-
    While I consider Chris a great contributor and interesting read, he is absolutely wrong in this post.

According to the 2013 NHL CBA, a player that was drafted in his draft year – and played outside of the CHL in his draft year (US-Europe) can play in the AHL as a 19 year old without having to go back to junior or a former club.

The recent example was Staphan Matteau – drafted by the NJ Devils in 2012, that ended up playing for the Devils Albany AHL team last year.
    When Matteau was drafted in 2012, he played for the US National Development Team.

In terms of McCarron, IF the Habs management decided he was ready for the AHL Bulldogs (unlikely), they have the right to place him there next season.

• slyCH says:

Could’a been a simple oversight on his part.

• Chris says:

The quote above was pertaining to the AHL eligibility of Nikita Scherbak. I was using McCarron as an example of a player who signed an ELC but proceeded to play junior the following season.

So not wrong…just misunderstood. ;)

I am aware that McCarron could play in the AHL this coming season. It is a moot point, however, because McCarron is absolutely OHL bound next year.

I also wouldn’t be shocked out of my tree if he came back to the OHL as an overager, either. He’s on the long, long development curve, so the team will want to see him dominate at each level. He needs to be a point-per-game performer this season.

42. Harditya says:

I nominate Timo to be the next assistant head coach under Michel Therrien. He would perfect our powerplay.

43. eric says:

Scherbak, chucky, Cakes

44. Maritime Ronn says:

Hi-It’s been a while….

A question to follow…

Just arrived from a week long business trip that started in Ft. Lauderdale (Sunrise) and ended up in Tampa via a drive through the Everglades and Naples-Sarasota on the West Florida coast….

The weather was hot.
    36C-38C with a Humidex factor of 43C-45C.

That being mentioned, the ‘Lifestyle’ down there is nothing short of awesome.
    Beaches, or paths close to the beach for walking or running.
    The Atlantic Ocean or Gulf of Mexico for boating, fishing or swimming…

Hockey down there?
    Not even on the ‘general population’ radar screen.
    ———————–
    That mentioned, there are several HIO contributors that are plus 40 years old who adored the passion and pure ‘love of the game’ by players (ex Habs) that are now, and would be considered ‘old timers’.

Today, the youngsters that are drafted have little knowledge of NHL history or Original 6, and see playing in the NHL as a “Job” and money making, short term career.
    Several non-North Americans also have little knowledge of the history…

The question:
    Taking everything into consideration – and if you had an opportunity to play somewhere young, then decide to finish out your career, what cities would you choose to play?

From here.
    Finish: in Montreal (maybe)

Start, or UFA sign until early/mid 30’s:
    Tampa-San Jose-LA/Anaheim-Sunrise Florida-New York-Chicago-Phoenix-Raleigh-Dallas-Nashville.

You?

• Cal says:

Hey Ronn, hope you had a citrus fruitful trip.
      Not a fan of hot weather, so it would have to be Winnipeg, Calgary and then Montreal. If I’da had my druthers, it would be Montreal all the way.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi Cal

In my younger days answering the question, it would have been Montreal – and ONLY Montreal.
        If I was a youngster today?
        The outlook would be the above mentioned…

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

You can afford a place in Florida when you’re done with hockey. Old guys know hockey careers are really short anyway.
      I’d want to play in Montreal if I were a good player. Money’s fine, but I like my work to be appreciated.

• Maritime Ronn says:

CHF

Contrary to the ‘olden days’, wives, family, and lifestyle, have a huge say in living arrangements today when choice is a factor.
        Some (several) players don’t want anything to do with fishbowl Canadian markets unless they have to.

Yes, there are exceptions, yet they are few and far between unless there is some ridiculous offer on the table ( Clarkson-Briere)…Ference in Edmonton, because he wanted to go home and was offered an almost insane 4 years/$13M last summer.

• slyCH says:

To start.
      I live in Key West FL. 16 years now.
      I was born in MTL.
      Hospital Sacre Coeur. Cartierville.
      Raised across the Cartierville bridge in Chomedy Laval.
      Close to the 13. Was there as a pre-teen watching that highway built.
      Between Chomedey and St-Dorothee.

Not completely sure about your question so I’ll answer as well as my slightly buzzed head can understand…

I hope to be talented enough to be drafted by the Habs and stay there for the duration of my career.

If I’m traded I quit. Move on to another trade.

This comes from insight from a food preference alone.

The grub here stinks!!!!!!!!!!

45. bwoar says:

Thanks for clarifying the ELC rules guys. I totally forgot about the ‘slide.

“Running back to Saskatoon….”

46. B says:

Parenteau: Joining Canadiens a ‘dream come true’

–Go Habs Go!–

• on2ndthought says:

he says he’s a top six, what happens when MT plays him on the 4th line?

“a cannonading drive”

• Cal says:

It’s called produce and play by the game plan in a team concept. The quickest way off the top 6 is to do neither. Hi Brière! I do have to give Brière his due, though. He never complained about his role or the ice time.

• on2ndthought says:

similar players, their adrenaline flows with the puck on their stick, ebbs when the puck is between them and their own net

“a cannonading drive”

• habcertain says:

Briere produced when he was given the opportunity, PA will assume the vacated dog house as he is not the type of player a coach like MT will play. You figure MB would have figured that out by now.

• Ncognito says:

Where you at on PEI kevin? I grew up with Turk in the west end of Summerside.

• habstrinifan says:

Obviously research doesnt support the “Gentlemen only” misrepresentaion, but the constitution of the St Andrews golf club certainly does. … even now in 2014.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

• GrimJim says:

Absolutely, there are problems with exclusionary practices in private golf clubs but a misrepresentation of the facts of the origin of the word is a misrepresentation of the facts of the origin of the word. The constitution of the St. Andrews golf club proves that there was systemic societal discrimination based on gender, not that the word was a misogynistic acronym.

LITTLE TIME FOR SUMMIT TICKETS. SEND BY CURRIER TO BE SAFE!

Our 8th annual 2014 HIO Fan Summit is, Nov.29th weekend.

Send today, your self addressed stamped envelope with your money order, so I can send you your tickets back!!! (Canadian stamp) Courier is best! especially from USA! I will be cut off from ordering these special HIO game tickets on the 28th day of July.
    I must receive your money order by the 28th.
    Two seating section prices! $83ea. or $105ea.

Send to me Ian Cobb at 63 Village Dr. Belleville Ont. K8P 4K2

48. johnnylarue says:

Holy crap–yesterday was the 45th anniversary of the release of Stanley Kubrick’s classic “lunar landing” film! Time flies…

Oh, and this post is entirely relevant to hockey because… playing hockey on the moon would be awesome. (Obviously.)

Edit: Buzz Aldrin as enforcer? Discuss.

49. Mavid ® says:

Try again..79 days
    we made it to S-c-o-t-l-a-n-d..will be spending a couple of days in Edinburgh then on to Inverness birthplace of my Grandfather

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

50. CH Marshall says:

Just our luck he landed to us that low in the first round!

51. PK says:

Well, at least a little bit of hockey news in the middle of summer.
    Also, you may want to check out Elliotte Friedman’s 54 thoughts:

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

• Luke says:

Marc Staal is an UFA next summer?

Wow. Sather should have bridged him on that second deal instead of letting him get to UFA status so soon. As much as it seems like PK’s got leverage, Staal’s really a guy who’s got the leverage now…

(Edit: Point #1- Elliotte the Rangers had a $5 million + centre when they made the playoffs last season).

52. SmartDog says:

He’s a Sherbet to make the big club!

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

53. Cal says:

Does the ELC apply if the player is still in junior in the WHL?

54. BJ says:

We arrived in Prague a couple of hours ago. Man its raining. I went down to the hotel garage only to find it flooded.

55. BJ says:

I think the young man will surprise.

56. DeadEnd says:

What is this…and actual hockey-related story to comment on? I’m so confused.

57. mark-ID says:

This must mean he is AHL bound, if he doesn’t make le grande club……why else sign him already? I guess this would be the loophole in which allows a player to play AHL underage if you have played overseas? is that the gist of it?

• Chris says:

He can’t play in the AHL. Drafted players frequently get signed by their NHL club only to play another season or two in junior. McCarron was signed last July as well. It is pretty much a formality, as the contract terms are largely set by the CBA. If he doesn’t make it, he will have his entry-level contract “slide” by a year and take effect next season instead, unless he plays more than 9 games in the NHL.

58. piter says:

first? Right time, right place. I’m going to buy a lottery ticket now.