Habs sign Drewiske to two-year deal

The Canadiens have inked 28-year-old defenceman Davis Drewiske to a two-year contract extension.

Drewiske brings “experience and most importantly depth to our group of defenceman,” Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said in a statement released by the team on Thursday morning.

Drewiske played nine games with the Canadiens this season after being acquired from the Los Angeles Kings on April 2  in exchange for a fifth-round pick at this month’s NHL draft. However, the 6-foot-2 Wisconsin native was a healthy scratch during the playoffs when the Canadiens’ were eliminated by the Ottawa Senators in the first round.

The deal is a one-way contract, which will pay Drewiske $625,000 a season.

When Bergevin met with the media in April after the trade deadline, he said a team can never have enough defenceman, especially if you’re going to make the playoffs.

“He’s a stay-at-home defenceman. He’s a decent size, he’s got a great stick, kills penalties, blocks shots” and can handle good ice time, Bergevin said at the time.

Drewiske had seven points in 29 games this past season with a plus/minus differential of plus 3.

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Penguins sign Malkin to eight-year, $76-million contract extension, montrealgazette.com

NHL has new lease on life, by Cam Cole of Postmedia News

Hawks’ Shaw ends triple-overtime thriller, by Bruce Arthur of Postmedia News

Tortorella would keep things lively, but Canucks already have Melanson sideshow, by Tony Gallagher of Postmedia News

1. Ncognito says:

I have been saying all season that this surprise 2nd place finish set Bergevin’s rebuild process back a couple years. We needed another top 10 draft pick in the first round, another pick between #30 and #40 this year. Plus a weaker season point wise may have meant we were sellers at the trade deadline and we could have picked up a couple more picks.

• Maritime Ron says:

In all hockey honesty, the step backwards concerning playoffs may happen next year with the addition of both Detroit and Columbus to the Conference – a Columbus team that tied for 8th in the West last year and missed the playoffs due to a tie breaker with Minnesota.
      They are not Winnipeg.
      Then this place will go wild….
      :-)

• Hobie Hansen says:

Not sure about that Ron? The regular season and playoffs are two different beasts all together. I’ve really learned that as I’ve matured as Habs and hockey fan.

Montreal is going to have a good PP again next year, no question. That PP will win them their fair share of games. Enough to get them in the playoffs.

Then HIO is going to be lit up with comments on how we don’t need goons or size and grit and we’re just as good as Boston.

Unfortunately for Montreal, the whistles are put away in the playoffs so that great PP means nothing. Then the Habs will get bounced in the 1st round. Unless Bergevin makes some moves this summer.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…explaining the underwhelming reaction to Drewiske’s signing :)

• Hobie Hansen says:

I was scratching my head when I first saw that headline. We’ve just got to hope that the front office sees something in this guy that us fans don’t?

Bergevin already has Bouillon signed next season too. You’d have to imagine Tinordi is going to make the team out of camp? Not sure where all these guys are going to play?

• commandant says:

If Tinordi is not top 6, he doesn’t make the team IMO.

If he can’t crack the lineup as a regular, I’d rather him playing in Hamilton at his age.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Maybe Drewiske can hit his stride with the assurance that he’s going to be a regular?

If Drewiske can be a 6th defenceman, with Tinordi on the 2nd paring and Emelin on the 1st, that gives us three big, tough defenceman spread across all three pairings.

That would mean that Gorges or Diaz might get the short end of the stick when everyone is healthy though. I can’t see Bouillon playing next year unless there’s injuries either. I hope Drewiske bumps out Bouillon with a strong training cap.

I have a hunch Bergevin is shopping Gorges or possibly Diaz.

Philadelphia is hurting for dmen. Send Gorges and his contract there for a 2nd rounder IMO.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…so unpredictable isn’t it Ben ? …even Boston, I notice Hamilton not being played and a kid I never heard of (Krug) pops out of nowhere

• NL Hab says:

One thing you have to remember is that this was not a full rebuild. We had/have a lot of good pieces in place when Bergevin took over. Plus the emergence of the rookies from last year, and a few good UFA signings will put us into the playoffs again next year.

Jut because we are not drafting in the top 10, it doesn’t mean we will not draft a good/great player. These kids are teenagers and it is very hard to predict how they will turn out.

I would much rather cheer on our team and hope for a playoff berth rather than hope they tank and draft a high end prospect.

Plus we we do have 2 high 2nd round picks to go along with the 25th overall. We should be able to snap 3 good players with those picks.

Et Le But

2. Maritime Ron says:

To preface the question, the LA Kings do not have a 1st Round Draft pick, and do not have a Pick until the #57 spot.
    Our Habs will have picks before that at #25-34-36-55 positions.

A question for the hockey learned posters here at HIO.
    By several 3rd party evaluations, Carey Price has all the tools to be an elite goalie, yet his actual performance over the past 6 years – and especially during the playoffs, has been far from ‘elite’

So the question becomes:
    If GMMB called GM Lombardi of LA and found out the cost for goaltender Jonathan Bernier would be our #24-34 + a D prospect – or something similar/less to that, would you do the deal?

Or perhaps the questions become does Carey Price need job competition?
    Is he too comfortable with no one even close to knocking on his #1 Habs goalie position and knowing that, can become subconsciously complacent and not be too concerned about performance?

• Ncognito says:

You don’t trade a 1st, 2nd and a prospect for a backup goaltender. He may end up better than Price if he can handle the pressures of goaltending in Montreal but that is still too much for a current backup.

• Maritime Ron says:

Rask was a backup to Tim Thomas….and there is a huge difference between a 1st round Top 5-10 pick and an overall 25th pick…and I did state ‘something less” as an option

• Ncognito says:

True – but Boston also got him for Andrew Raycroft. When he started to establish himself behind Thomas I still wouldn’t have given up a 1, 2 and prospect. Would I now? Probably. And Bernier is not Rask.

• mksness says:

bernier is a small goalie. 5’11”. very fast but still a pure butterfly goalie. unfortunately size helps in this position. he’s worth only a 1st rounder

• mksness says:

rask was drafted 17th overall (same year as price) and was the long term plan in boston until tim thomas decided to play like a mad man for 2 years.

• Habfan17 says:

At this point, I don’t think Bernier is worth it. I would rather the Habs trade a couple of players for extra picks this draft and select a goalie, maybe Fucale if he is there when the Habs have the 36th pick. Then see what he and Condon can do. If Price has another so-so season, Bergevin can always pick up a goalie next year as a UFA.

Habfan17

• mksness says:

haha bringing in a french goalie? that’s hilarious. talk about tons of extra pressure. bernier wants to start and played lights out this year while quick was struggling in the regular season; he would be pissed to be a back up and not for anything when you get 6.5m a year cowboy up and play. if price were to lose his starting role to another backup i think his time in mtl would be done.

Media has been the biggest issue with price. He’s been labelled elite and that has created a few issues. in fairness he hasn’t been talking about being a elite goalie but the media and habs fans have crowned him super man. he’s not elite and guess what he doesn’t have to be. he just has to be good

Chicago in 5 !! It is written in the stars that the bean town boys are full of gas, just poke them!

HIO MEMBERS!!
    Don’t forget to stay tuned for when the new schedule comes out. I will be picking a game date for our weekend SUMMIT in Mtl. at the end of Oct. Those that have already purchased their tickets from the cancelled game last fall, will have replacement tickets given to them. For others that want to participate with us in Oct. please stay tuned for information on all our weekend events and game tickets. Check out the link below and scroll down to pictures of all of us at past Summits. Click onto pictures for more pictures.
    Ian

HIO contact site-Fan Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

4. habs-fan-84 says:

Wow! The Hypochondriac’s are in full force…what an overreaction to such a minor signing. Can’t say I’m surprised.

• NL Hab says:

Yeah really. You would swear we signed him for 8 years at 10M per. Good depth signing by Bergevin. This guy is familiar with the system and has gotten to know a lot of the guys already. It seems that Bergevin wants to create a family type environment, and is showing a lot of loyalty by signing these guys. You see this also with the Budaj signing.

These types of signings are what the guys in the dressing room will appreciate. Yes, he could have waited for a month and picked up a different depth defencemen. Same with Budaj, he could have let him walk and sign a cheaper backup. However, the guys really like Budaj, and were really happy that he got his contract extended another 2 years.

Et Le But

5. HabFab says:

As per Commandants post earlier and yet another young prospect has lost his life;

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

…living in the moment, as of ‘now’

…answer as honestly as You can, …would You trade this past season of second-overall in the East, and all the individual awards We are part of this post-season for a top-3 pick in this draft ?

…if You do, what does it say …about Us, personally, and the State Of The Team ?

…if You don’t, it is not necessary to answer, because I know where Y’all that don’t are coming from

(Note Bene: I am not trying to corner Y’all …I sincerely would like to see how close Your thoughts are to mine)

• TheDagger says:

I would trade any season of not making the Cup Finals with a Top 3 pick in the draft.

• mksness says:

i would have tanked this season. expectations were low, new coach, new gm some new players, new systems. we had ever excuse to play poorly. also i don’t really value the stanely cup in a shortened season either as much as a full regular season. just imagine seth jones with the habs…

• HabFab says:

Damn the tankers….grunts rule!!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I was a real grunt Frank once upon a day …grunts die too …unfortunately

• HabFab says:

Usually first my friend. How are the kids doing? Your son must be getting close to graduating?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…final year in September …on the grad committee, already working on His resume for the First Job …Venus grade 10 next year

…Damn !!! .I don’t want Them to grow up :(

• punkster says:

I would not have traded the Chucky/Gally/Prusty/Subby show this season for a top 3 pick…way too entertaining to be shitcanned for an unknown.

And consider…the only way we could have achieved such vaunted status as a “Top 3 Loser” would be if all 4 of those guys turned in a stinker season.

HIO would have had all 4 run out of town, tarred and feathered MT and MB and counseled a full blown blowup of the team.

So what would be the point?

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I too enjoyed this season Dave …best in several years

…but it’s similar to that gnawing guilt You have in the hot, passionate few weeks of an illicit affair with an insatiable woman …impossible to resist in the heat of the moment, yet You know in the back of Your mind this is not the Lady of Your Life

…the Team, in this era, needs those building blocks one can only find in the early draft …those phenoms that will mean a long-term elevation out of mediocrity or close but no cigar longterm

…as Fans, is it possible to accept intentionally accepting to go through the motions for two seasons patiently so management can rebuild Our Team ?

• habstrinifan says:

Yes I would trade this season’s 2nd overall in the east for a top 3 pick in the draft.

The positive reason is obvious… the draft top 3 is in my opinion better than last year’s top 3…. please this is only my opinion no hateful responses that I am discounting Gally’s value.

The more telling reason why is all negative. I simply think our swoon at the end of the season (which we never really stopped) is probably more reflective of our team than the 2nd place finish.

7. habstrinifan says:

Drewiske brings “experience..” to our group of defencemean.
    OK! That calls for a refill .. pass the kool-aid please and dont spill any on those commemorative bricks please…

“and most importantly depth to our group of defenceman,”

American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language” DEPTH:
    “Strength held in reserve, especially a supply of skilled or capable replacements: ” MT and MB better get together on their ‘depth’ perception.

Brewskie’s all around please.

8. B says:

Marc Bervevin is one of the NHL’s three finalists for this season’s General Manager of the Year award to voted on by a 40-member panel that included all 30 general managers, five NHL executives and five media members. We should find out at tomorrows NHL awards show part 1 (5:00 PM start) if Bergevin, Bob Murray or Ray Shero wins it.

–Go Habs Go!–

9. Bripro says:

So how about that game last night, huh????
    Oh, you’ve already covered it. Never mind.

And I came on here to see if there’s anything new, and I have to reflect (in parrot form) what seems to have been expressed for a while…

“Are you kidding me?”

Drewiske? Really MB?
    I like MB, he’s done quite well, IMHO.
    But after the multi-year DD deal, which is looking more like we’re in for a year of disappointments.

I just have to look at the Hawks and Bs D lineup to realize that MB is going to have to hit one out of the park.
    This one’s out of the park alright…. behind home plate.

• Phil C says:

Chicago’s 7th D-man is Brookbank, who played 6:50 for one game in this playoffs, was a part of two goals allowed, then sat on the bench for the rest of the game. I feel safe saying that Drewiske is at least that good.

• NL Hab says:

That’s a bit over the top isn’t it. This guy will be basically making the league minimum. How can you call this a bad move? He will most likely be spending most of his nights in the pressbox, and will be called upon when injuries occur.

Et Le But

• Bripro says:

OK, so maybe a little.
        I found him unimpressive is all.
        Why not look at the UFA market this summer instead.
        I’m not saying not to sign him, just that I find it premature.
        I’m pretty sure there aren’t too many teams breaking down the kid’s door.
        If there’s nothing better available come July 5th, then by all means.
        And I understand the depth signing.

10. Bob Gaineys Stare says:

I can’t promise you’ll use anything I write as a reference, but the real tragedy is that I can’t promise that Scott Gomez won’t be repeatedly signed and bought out as a motivational strategy by particularly vindictive NHL managers: http://bobgaineysstare.wordpress.com/

11. Maritime Ron says:

Why Bobby Clarke/Holmgren still make decisions in Philly is mind boggling….

Just a good source rumor, yet it appears that Philly will go the Compliance Buyout route this year for both Bryzgalov AND Briere!
    Wow!

If true, Bryzgalov will cost Philly ownership a Salary payment of $1,642,857 per year for the next…14 years.
    As for Briere, the cost will be $833,333 of Salary per year for the next 4 years.

If so, and if they are Compliance buyouts with no Cap Penalties, the Flyers would recoup $ 12.1M in Cap space for the next 2 years, and then delete the $5.6M Cap Hit of Bryzgalov from 2015-16 until 2019-20.

With all those moves, Philly would be left with about $17M in Cap Space (including Pronger being on LTIR) minus what they may end up paying for Marc Streit ($5M?) if they end up signing him after trading for his rights – and that is NEVER a done deal as they learned with once upon a time Nashville UFA Dan Hamhuis when he rejected them and signed with Vancouver back in 2010.

So once again, Philly has no goalie as Steve mason is a back-up….doesn’t Clarke remember it was Bernie Parent that won them their only 2 Cups back in 1975-76?

• Phil C says:

Briere makes sense because they owe him much less money than his cap hit.

But Bryzgalov? I know he had the flame thrower out burning every bridge he could when he left this year, but at least give him one more season to figure it out, then buy him out next year if it’s a disaster.

• mksness says:

Mason played a few good games down the stretch at the end of last year but i’m not sold on him being a number one guy. philly kicked themselves in the teeth when they got rid of bobrowski.

• Habcouver says:

I still enjoy watching Bob (Bobby) Clarke forgetting Claude Giroux’s name when selecting him on draft day.

Waiting patiently for #25

12. Rad says:

Minor signing for depth, boys. Nothing to get your panties all in a twist over.

13. Luke says:

Boone should have live-blogged the Drewiske Signing reaction.

That’s it for me folks, enjoy the weekend.

14. Steeltown Hab says:

The more I think about it I really think MB is going to try and move up in the 1st to get mantha. I am pretty keen on keeping all 3 seconds, I hope he does.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Ozmodiar says:

No to Mantha, even @ 25.

/soff

• NL Hab says:

I really want us to get this kid as well. However, it all depends on the cost for moving up. If he is still available at 20th, I would be willing to part with our 1st and our 2nd rounder. I don’t want the Nashville or Calgary pick involved in any deal unless it is for a pick inside the top 10. I have been keeping tabs on Frederick Gauthier all year as well, but he will be gone in the top 15.

Et Le But

15. Un Canadien errant says:

Okay folks, when I first joined HIO around this time two years ago, yearning to nerd out on the draft with fellow Canadiens nerds, I was put through my paces and forced to go through an indoctrination. One part of this was learning where to find information to back up my cockamamie hypotheses. To perform this research, I was pointed to various sources. In a way, HIO veterans told me, in no uncertain terms, where to go.

So now I will give back. If you’re wondering how many years a player’s contract runs, you need not. Guessing at a player’s age? Unnecessary. Building a roster with line combinations, but stumped by whether a player is a RW or LW, and it’s preventing you from sharing your wisdom with the masses? Be ungratified no longer.

Here are some websites that everyone should bookmark and refer to before getting into a waste-flinging match in our ape-arium. (I won’t be able to make them ‘link-y’, since HIO allows a maximum of three per post before they’re filtered out as SPAM.

1) hockeydb.com

This is the first source as to a player’s career, from junior to Europe to minor leagues to NHL. Draft position is listed for every player, you can always click on their draft year and pat yourself on the back that you’re a Canadiens fan, or more likely, rue what might have been. Better than Wikipedia in that every year’s draft picks are listed with games played, so it’s easy to pick out the winners from the busts in years past.

2) http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=2

If you don’t often refer to Capgeek, you should. I gave you the Canadiens’ page, but you can search other teams, and individual players. You can find UFA’s coming up this July, by position. Poke around in there, lots of info, like no-trade-clauses, or teams’ cap spaces, AHL players’ salaries.

3) habsprospects.com/index.html

Incredible resource. A godsend. Wondering how many players we have, why people keep referring to this 50-contract limit? It’s on here. So is which players are waiver exempt. How many players are in the system. Another one to poke around in and get familiar. Most Habs roster and farm team questions are answered here.

4) forecaster.faceoff.com/faceoff/hockey/depthchart.php?Mtl

A similar resource, shows a few different things. I tend to refer to the depth chart page to keep the LW’s straight from the RW’s, but there’s lots of info there, moves, stats, again, spend some time to get familiar.

5) http://espn.go.com/nhl/team/roster/_/name/mtl/montreal-canadiens

ESPN does a pretty good job of providing lots of info in one place. I usually land on the roster page to ascertain whether a player is leftie or rightie, but from there you can research similar roster or stats info for all other teams, great for coming up with crackpot schemes and wacky trade scenarios.

6) hockeysfuture.com/teams/montreal_canadiens

Need a hug? Want reassurance that the future is bright? All of our prospects are listed here, with lots of info and some writeups and scouting reports. Note that the draft experts on HIO caution that their info is somewhat unreliable, as when they asserted that Blake Geoffrion was a good skater, for example. Still, it’s a good start, and a decent source. They grade the prospects as to their talent and potential, as well as their likelihood of ever reaching that potential. Great debate starter.

Need a dose of reality? Look at any other team’s system, and learn that they are just as chock full of promising players and great kids. Their future is bright too. All of them. Except the Canucks.

Don’t want to be depressed? Don’t search for reports from the farm from 2000 or thereabouts, in which they speak glowingly of Eric Chouinard and how the Canadiens finally got the big centre they’ve been needing, and how the team’s future is assured with all these great prospects lined up.

7) habswatch.com/p/trade-history.html#.UbogS_kw_9A

Every single trade the Canadiens ever made, or a resource that comes close to listing them all anyway. The Rod Langway-Chris Chelios-John Leclair-Eric Desjardins-Patrick Roy mausoleum.

8) hockey-reference.com/teams/MTL/

Every Canadiens team. Every season. Every player. Every stat. Everything.

So there you have it. The world at your fingertips.

———————————————————————–

16. Lafleurguy says:

Why do those 25 celebrities keep surprising Canadians?* Well, as long as they’re not scaring ‘em ’cause that would be just plain mean.

“May you live in interesting times.”
    *i’madverbilliterate

In the end it comes does to this: in the spring instead of getting Habs some help for playoffs Bergevin goes out and gets a useless, soft Dman nobody wants for a 5th round pick. The guy doesn’t see a single playoff game and sits in the pressbox. THEN, Bergevin re-signs the useless guy for 2 more years so that he can still sit in the pressbox or be the worst defenseman on the team. Either way, if Carey Price was hoping for any kind of help on D he can continue to dream. It ain’t coming.

• florida habs says:

agreed, this and DD makes no sense. Oh ya, the fleecing he will take on PK’s next contract when he could have got him for a song but needed to ensure that he passed MT Life program first.

• johnnylarue says:

Sorry–when could he have got PK “for a song”, again?

No way that kid signed long-term for less than $5M per. And guess what? The ~$5M per he is saving by low-balling PK over these two seasons will serve as a nice buffer when it comes time to get “fleeced” on his next contract.

MB felt PK had to prove himself as a team-first guy to fit in with the culture he wants to instil in his Habs, and the latter would have had no urgent incentive to do this if he’d struck it rich on his second contract.

18. GrosBill says:

Please be sure to include Drewiske in all crazy trade suggestions now also. He joins others on the trade bait list including:

DD
    Diaz
    Weber
    Moen
    Leblanc
    and now Drewiske

Did I miss someone?

19. johnnylarue says:

The situation in Pittsburgh is interesting too.

I admire Shero’s unwillingness to over-react to his team’s complete meltdown in the ECF–and it’s not like NOT re-signing Malkin was ever an option–but you also have to wonder whether the team’s current model of spending 2/3 of the cap on 4 players (incl. Letang and Fleury) is a viable strategy.

But I guess it sells tickets, so…

Anyone else here feel like adding Iginla may have done more harm than good when it came down to it? The guy did an honest job out there, and I know he’s slowed down quite a bit in recent years, but the Pens were winning games routinely without Crosby and Malkin in the lineup during the regular season, yet seemed utterly devoid of chemistry when the going got tough against Boston.

Could be that the team wound up with too much “leadership” in its ranks, paradoxical as that might sound…

• JF says:

I think the Pens would have done better without the additions, or rather that they added the wrong guys. What they needed was not more star-power, but more grit on their bottom two lines. Examples of deadline deals that look good at the moment are Jagr with Boston and Handzus with Chicago. Jagr is not the star he once was, but he still does a great job of protecting the puck along the boards. Handzus is playing second-line centre, which drops David Bolland to the third line. Both are effective. Deadline deals should be about adding depth or toughness.

As for the Malkin signing, I think it’s a mistake, both for the team and for the player. Compared to the Bruins, the Penguins’ lines are not well balanced, and their role players are not as good. Tying up so much cap space in Malkin and Crosby means this situation is unlikely to change because they’ll have to skimp on the rest of their lineup.

I also think that Malkin would do better on a different team. He’d have a larger role and be more of a star. He seems to be at his most effective when Crosby is not in the lineup.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Are/were the Pens better on paper than on the ice?

Lowly us pushed them a couple of times, close games…

The Boston-Pens series made me feel sick, like watching an injured horse getting shot at the track.

20. frontenac1 says:

@burly. Already at the Saloon amigo. Weir at -1 through 10.Saludos!

21. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

This makes zero sense to me. Add this to the DD and Moen contracts, and I am really starting to wonder about Bergevin’s acumen. Very odd.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

22. Luke says:

You Might Also Like:

“Luke has another long weekend. Bartenders, Breweries Project Record Profits.”

23. frontenac1 says:

@burly. Could only find one fight Drewiskie vs Ott. I think Ott landed more ,so decision Ott.

24. Propwash says:

Bergevin is useless, he can’t even sign Malkin for ten years at five bucks per year. Fire him!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Sounds like Leafs are re-signing Colton Orr for 2 more years.

26. commandant says:

Sad story, an Oiler’s prospect, Kristian Pelss, is missing and feared dead.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

27. commandant says:

He sits in the pressbox for cheap money.

Instead of Tinordi/Beaulieu doing that.

they either crack the top 6, or go to hamilton. No long stints in the pressbox for 21/20 year olds.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

28. Sportfan says:

MB “experience and most importantly depth to our group of defenceman” thats what he said I don’t think there is a hidden message there he wants depth on the D. Maybe he feels Tinordi and Beaulieu, Ellis etc aren’t ready so why not have some depth.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

29. frontenac1 says:

I think if Prust could teach him how to fight,Drewiskie would be ok. He’s a good size lad,but he can’t fight worth jack squat.

30. florida habs says:

maybe MB is considering shipping out the likes of Gorges/Markov/Diaz/Frankie in some sort of combination package to secure a big man up front, and Drewskie is a stop gap option.

31. Sportfan says:

How much is Wiske making?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

32. Sportfan says:

You might also like the Price is Right scam! Yeah okay there how bout updating the you might also like section with new sports articles….

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

33. Dunboyne Mike says:

Whatever happened to Mara?
    Is Drewiske a Mara?

34. bwoar says:

Just to clarify, if anyone isn’t reading carefully, the Drewiskie contract is ONE WAY, according to the post on this very page.

“thoroughbred”

But still can be sent down and entire contract is buried, lower than 900K.

• Les-Habitants says:

In case you didn’t read the new CBA, that doesn’t really make that much of a difference for Habs mgmt. He signed the league minimum, and if a player is demoted up to roughly ~950k will be subtract from his/her cap hit.

I understand its a slow news day, but comeon guys. He’s a great veteran D who will be as our 7th or 8th dman. How signing an NHL capable player for the league minimum is bad news is beyond me.

35. Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t know why anyone is shocked by this signing. Sure, Davis Drewiske wasn’t a world-beater this spring, but certainly the Canadiens management staff have had their eye on this guy, to go after this relatively obscure player at the deadline. They think he has some upside. He’s an asset we have, we’re not pinched by the 50 contract limit. He re-signs for the league minimum. He provides depth, as Marc Bergevin pointedly refers to in the press release. He allows the young defencemen in Hamilton to stay there next season, instead of being thrown into the mix before they’re ready.

If he becomes expendable, the team can flip him for a draft pick. If he can’t be traded, at worst he’s sent down to Hamilton, or is lost on waivers in the process.

There is really no downside. The team retained an asset for which it already spent a fifth-round pick. That’s a sunk cost, but now we have to invest very little to see if we can get some returns our our investment.

Good deal.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…speaking for Myself, probably an overreaction to My expectation that this coming season the priority will be beef + mean

…but the Roman Coliseum was built with big and small stones …so, I guess We should allow Emperor Marc be the architect

…just hope We won’t be eaten again by the lions next season

• John Frodo says:

I am on board as well. If he cleans up well its another asset to trade. He never got a chance in LA, could be another Bickell in our backyard.

• Yup — worst case, we get what we paid for him at the deadline, along the lines of another 5th or so. Or, he can bolster the Bulldogs D if one of our young guns gets a call-up. Either outcome is better than losing our own 5th-rounder for nothing, and as you say, it allows decisions about call-ups to be made with more of an eye to our prospects’ development, rather than the need to fill a void with the big club in Emelin’s absence. I suspect the 2nd year was what it took to keep him — and at the league minimum, no great sacrifice on our part.

Drewiske isn’t a rock star, but he’s not a huge downgrade from Tinordi or Beaulieu at this point in their careers. Good teams have guys like him in the system — just not in the Top Six.

• johnnylarue says:

I “see what you’re typing”, UCe, and I’m not one to overreact to minor signings. Drewiske’s acquisition struck me as a mistake–an un-costly one, but a mistake nonetheless. Things didn’t pan out.

By the end of the season, in the midst of the Habs post-clinch funk, the consensus about Drewiske on this forum was, “Now I know why this guy was a #8 D in Los Angeles.”

I felt that way from his first game but chose never to voice my displeasure, since, hey, he’s just a depth player. My objection now stems from the fact that Bergevin has seen what he’s capable of–or incapable of, as the case may be–and has chosen to sign him anyway.

The signing feels like an endorsement of mediocrity to me. It’s a feeling thing.

• HardHabits says:

It’s because you and I were bemoaning the lost 5th. Now it was worth it, no?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Buried in that three paragraph Moby Dick is the phrase ‘sunk cost’. That’s key here.

I’d rather have a fifth than not have it. Understanding that, now, I’d rather keep Davis Drewiske at league minimum for two seasons rather than lose him outright.

36. So apparently at least 222 of us (including me) stayed up past our bedtimes to watch Chicago beat Boston. Does that say more about our love of Stanley Cup hockey, or our desperate need to root for anyone-but-Boston? : )

Both?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…all those that live in LaLa Land …at least, west of Winnipeg = 221

…and one jobless soul in Montreal

• New says:

I stayed up because I liked seeing the 2 goal lead disappear twice, and seeing the game tied up 3-3. Waiting another three periods for someone to finally deflect a puck (which happens every other shot here) past Rask made it worthwhile. When Lucic nailed Jagr I had visions of him nailing Marchand next, but they ran out of time before he could hit him. Maybe next game.

37. Luke says:

You Might also like:

Carthage Falls! Is this the end of the 3rd Punic War?

38. Habfan17 says:

I am not sure why some are against the Drewiske signing. Give the guy a break! He came over to a new team, had to get to know the guys and a new system, and may not have been in great shape due to the lack of icetime he got in L.A. Still, he had 3 points and 8 hits in 9 games and was even in plus/minus. Sure, there were some rough patches, but I also saw him make some good plays, and in the end, he was no worse than Gorges who had 9 points in 48 games. he is bigger and with a summer and training camp to get used to the players and system, he will make a great depth player and may in time be a slightly bigger Gorges.2. Teams do need depth and this is a cap friendly signing. There are still a couple of UFA’s available that can help and should not cost too much. Fistric and Whitney come to mind. They will both want to prove they still have it and that the Oilers were wrong. Whitney had 13 points in 34 games and 16 hits. He was a -7 but then again, the Oilers sucked defensively! I’d rather have Fistric and Whitney than Diaz and Gorges

Habfan17

39. Maritime Ron says:

For all of us golfers, Mike Weir is tied for the lead at the US Open.
    He’s at -2, and there are only 9 players under par at this moment and 77 on the course.
    Go Mike! What a nice young man.

He has been playing better of late, this course is a shotmakers course which used to be his calling card. He said during the week that the course was fun. I actually took him as my darkhorse in my golf pool. This isn’t to say he can’t blow up, but it is easy to cheer for the guy.

40. Habfan10912 says:

Watching the US open. I couldn’t break 200 on this course. Holy crap.

• GrimJim says:

I’m pretty sure the US Open does this (I know the Masters does) but on the Monday after the tournament, accredited members of the press can sign up for a lottery to play the course as it is set up for the pros. So all you need to do is get a press pass and you can try it out for yourself…

• Maritime Ron says:

Jim
      If you want total golf depression, go play TPC Sawgrass where they play The Players Championship.
      We played the pro tees (some were closed) and no one came within 15 of their already bogus pumped up shark handicaps.
      :-)

41. junyab says:

Cheap stand-in until Emelin recovers. I’m okay with this.

• thebonscott says:

EXACTLY, MOVE HIM UP OR DOWN, NOTHING TO LOSE, EVEN IF HE IS A SCRATCH, sorry about capslock, and if don’t need send off for a 5th rounder and back to square one.

GET BIGGER, GET TOUGHER, GET EVEN.

42. johnnylarue says:

Okay, I’m officially off the Bergevin bandwagon.

Drewiske is purported to be a great team guy and all, but this shows a worrisome lack of vision and creativity on the part of management. Drewiske played soft, slow, and was routinely and easily outplayed by opposing forecheckers in the games I saw him in.

More importantly, I’m with the HIO Caveman Contingent on this one: if we needed a 7th D who doesn’t play much, why not at least go out and get a tough guy??

Can somebody walk me through this one? ‘Cause this is seriously the first time I’ve found myself not just questioning but ALARMED by a decision taken by our usually very rational GM.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…irrationality seems to be ‘the new normal’ Johnny :)

• twilighthours says:

“Alarmed” seems a bit much. He’s a 7th D who can easily slide to an 8th or back to the farm. There’s still plenty of room for a thug defenseman if one is out there for the right price.

• junyab says:

I’m alarmed that you’re alarmed at the fact we signed a min. contract stand-in until Emelin returns. A temporary hole needed to be filled. We already paid for the guy, no sense letting him walk and losing a 5th for nothing.

• johnnylarue says:

I see the “logic” behind the signing, but seriously folks, what I saw of Drewiske this season was not NHL-caliber. I’d much rather have a guy like Pateryn yo-yoing between the NHL and AHL all year than a sign a guy with no edge and no upside.

I just don’t see how this signing does anything for the team whatsoever.

And check the record: I’m not a guy who dumps on players, gratuitously or otherwise.

• junyab says:

I think leaving Pateryn in the A to develop for a year or two is more beneficial to him than have him up and down all year. Drewiske can stay up with the club and will just be healthy scratched when needed.

• Luke says:

Yipes. Such a marginal signing and you are running for cover…

my oh my.

MB signed a depth defensman to a near minimal contract that, should be sent to Hamilton, will not count against the Cap.

Best case scenario, he fills in on the bottom pair while the young defensemen work their way up. Worst case, he plays in Hamilton and has no effect on the Cap in Montreal.
      (Or I suppose, gets claim on waivers, but then some people will complain about losing such a valuable asset for nothing).

As for getting a “tough guy”… who? Also, you can’t sign free agents until July 5th.

This is such a minor move… How anyone can have an issue with it is beyond me.

• johnnylarue says:

Mea culpa: I didn’t realize it was a two-way contract. I reacted quickly.

But my reaction was an honest one: Drewiske made the Habs worse. He’s not an effective plug, and we already have talent in Hamilton who bring more to the table than he does.

If MB signed him to be an experience guy in Hamilton, then fine! I’m okay with that. But as an NHL D-man… Maybe it’s because Emelin’s skates were too big to fill, but I just associate Drewiske with losing. Often.

• Luke says:

As far as I know, it isn’t a two-way contract. But it’s below the 900K threshold to count VS the NHL Cap if sent to Hamilton.

So it may as well be, except he could be exposed to waivers if sent to the AHL.

You are right though, Davis doesn’t (appear to) bring much to the table. It’s just that, to me, this is a no risk signing.

But, something to talk about as well I suppose… :)

Probably not a two way contract, but it is below 900K so therefore if down in minors it won’t count on cap, merely empties one of Molson’s weekend pair of golf pants from play money.

• bwoar says:

I’m not alarmed, but dismayed we couldn’t have signed a tougher piece of meat.

“thoroughbred”

• Les-Habitants says:

You’re officially off the bandwagon due to a depth signing? Really?
      If you’re that irrational, not much point talking to you about anything.

• johnnylarue says:

This is Bergevin’s first signing of a mediocre “known quantity” player.

He traded a pick for him, Drewiske put in an honest effort, but he’s not an NHL-caliber D-man.

I’m not a hot-head. I just don’t like the signing. Maybe my language was too strong. Switched to some new coffee beans this morning and my cappuccino might be hitting me the wrong way…

• johnnylarue says:

Drat! Double post.

I’ll shut up about this now.

(But this signing still sucks. ;) )

43. Un Canadien errant says:

Okay, I’ll play. Josh Gorges to Vancouver for David Booth and a pick. They get a homeboy who adds stability to their D, and we get a skilled bigger forward who can put pucks in the net and plugs a hole on Left Wing.

———————————————————————–

Booth is intriguing, has really fought the injury bug since entering the league it seems like. But he has a great deal of skill, I would be happy with such a manouver. Would assume Pateryn or Beaulieu is able to make jump up or we pick up another Dman somewhere.

• Maritime Ron says:

There is some talk that Booth may be bought out, yet a trade scenario is probably more likely.

Van is in HUGE Cap trouble – they have no Cap space left with only 17 guys signed, and Booth’s 2 years left at $4.25M looks like it has to go.

Here’s wondering if a Van Dman like Cam Barker could be a reclamation project as a UFA?

He was a Hawks 1st Round pick-3rd overall in 2004.
        He has bounced around, yet has good size at 6’3″-215, and Bergevin/Dudley would know all about him.
        He had 40 points in the Hawks 08/09 season, so there must be something there….yet who knows what’s going happening on the personal side

• bwoar says:

Barker is horrible, borderline NHLer at this point, if he ever was anything more. If you want a reclamation project: Tyler Myers.

EDIT: wait, did I say Cam Barker, or Keith Ballard? Man, the Canucks D is hard up if we’re trading them Josh Gorges.

“thoroughbred”

Ballard was a huge overpayment by Gillis. Imagine being in Gillis’s shoes when he walks into owners office and presents 3 people for amnesty buyouts and Gillis is the one who brought all 3 to the team. Luongo, Booth, Ballard.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Booth has been at St. Paul’s Emergency Clinic more than on the ice for the Canuckleheads Normand

…that’s why ? :)

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

Chapter 7, 956, 539, 823, 960, 439 of the Difficult Things In Life To Comprehend Series

…with Lindy Ruff out there as a coaching candidate, WHY ??? in blue blazes are the Canuckleheads considering John Tortorella ???

_____________________________________________________
    HIO’s BC Odd Couple: UCe, the supercilious stickler; and HIS, the stubbornly relentless ‘schismatist’ :)
    _________________________________________________________
    What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

…and, last, but not least: Free PK !!!

45. nek25plus says:

By all means, anyone who is ready to jump off a bridge over the Drewiske signing…don’t let us stop you. We can solder on without you.

46. Maritime Ron says:

A few questions for those that have a problem with this signing and that want that big. mean, giant, stud clean up Dman:

1) Identify who that is?
    2) What is the cost?

UFA?
    The only one I see is Rob Scuderi, yet please know that at least 25 teams will be bidding for his services including LA, and he can pick and choose where he wants to go.
    What would be so compelling about the Habs that he would choose us over everyone else?

Trade?
    OK, who and from what team, and then what is the cost in either draft picks or top prospects?
    Sorry. Bad me.
    Forgot the cost is always some combo of DD, Gorges, Weber, Diaz, Moen, and of course, Carey Price.

Druwiskie is a D that can be used in a variety of situations. Better we have him than a couple of others that I won’t mention.

HIO MEMBERS!!
    Ian

HIO contact site-Fan Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Ian, with the lowered cap, and projected 2 allowable buyouts this summer, My thinking there will be tougher and similar skilled out there for everybody

…I’m thinking it’s premature locking into a contract with Drewiske because what We need is an aggressively sized defenceman, not another passive one

…and, We should be leaving a spot for Our younger Guys in Hamilton to make Our Team

48. Lafleurguy says:

Just to be serious for a moment, the depth chart with Drewiske s name on it looks better than it did just after Bouillon s signing last summer. And now back to the regular programming.

“May you live in interesting times.”

49. bwoar says:

This is the kind of signing that the Habs make on July 1, when we’re all hoping for an impact signing. Now we’ll have bupkis!

“thoroughbred”

50. Strummer says:

Habs sign another big soft defenceman.

Do I see a marketing Strategy here- Viagra Ad’s behind the bench?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

51. Maritime Ron says:

Pure and simple cheap depth move that is not hard to understand.

When you look how Drewiske was utilized, it was confusing.

The guy shows up at the trade deadline in a new funky D system – he plays 8 games and is used anywhere from a low of 15:18 to a high of 23:50 in a win against Boston.

In Game 9, he plays 9:16…and that’s it!
    He is scratched for the last 4 games of the season and doesn’t dress for the playoffs.
    In those 9 games, he has 1G 2A and is EVEN.
    What was that all about?

Anyone believing that we are moving Gorges in the short term…well, you might want to look what we have as a starting D as of “this specific moment” (Emelin out until at least December)

Top 3:
    PK – wonky knee Markov-Gorges
    Bottom 3 any combo of:
    Bouillon-Diaz-Tinordi-Drewiske-Beaulieu.

Now take Gorges out of the equation and throw an expected injury or 2 in there.
    Not very pretty…..and then if we don’t sign Drewiske as a #7 guy, then what?
    He is only 28 years old. Let’s see what he can do with a full training camp and pre season under his belt.

• The Prustean Age says:

I agree, Maritime Ron: we’ve got some vulnerable D-men that could use support (that is, until we bring up some replacements for Markov, Cube, and Gorges).

I just salivate looking at Chicago’s D-core: hard-nosed but also offensive-minded guys who clear the crease with truculence (I find I like that word less now… thanks B. Burke).

“The Prustean Age” – The era when the “soft” mammals gave way to the carapace-covered creatures carrying sticks and mashing it up in corners and net-crashing and laughing in the face of the “hockey gods.”

• Maritime Ron says:

It’s interesting.
        Some believe we are deep…which is far from reality.

We have 1 superb Top 4 in PK and a questionable (because of injury and now age) Top 4 in a Markov.
        On a Cup contender, Gorges is a 5-6/4 swing man.
        Diaz is a bottom 6 when paired with a big fella and could be a 2nd Unit PP man.
        The rest are youngsters…..

• Cal says:

And MB couldn’t wait for UFA day because….?

• Luke says:

why wait? It’s not like he was going to be able to spend less on Drewiskie.

• Cal says:

Could have spent the same on someone else. Preferably, someone who plays a little tougher.

• Luke says:

Who?

The worst that happens is Drewiskie plays in Hamilton and doesn’t count against the cap. I really don’t see how anyone could have any issue with signing…

Also, you can’t negotiate with Free agents until July 5th.

• Maritime Ron says:

Hi Cal
            Who do you believe that someone else would be?

• Cal says:

Having spent 15 minutes looking at UFA Dmen, here’s my list of three in no order: Kurtis Foster, Tyson Strachan, Mike Moore.
        These are in the same class as Drewiske, meaning they are a cheap cap hit. They also have some size.

The playoff scratch was a bit surprising to me, however, MT wasn’t going to sit any of his veterans come playoff time. It did indeed become a choice between Tinordi and Drewiskie. The fact the team chose their highly touted first round pick over a guy picked up for a 4th round draft pick isn’t such a bad thing.

• Maritime Ron says:

Burly
        Totally understand using Tinordi to see how he handles the pressure.
        Everyone knew we were not going anywhere this year and it was a great experience for Tinordi….who will most likely be around longer than Drewiske

52. Lafleurguy says:

Clearly, Marc Bergevin signed Davis Drewiske today, because he didn’t like the momentum building in HIO bashing of goalies not named Fleury. He’s dealt with ADD in the past and mission accomplished.

“May you live in interesting times.”

53. neumann103 says:

Like the Desharnais extension, I am puzzled by the timing more than anything, figuring there is not really a reason this needs to be done now. Maybe there are not a ton of high end Free Agent defensemen coming available but there must be a number of Drewiske level guys. Plus there are several weeks of opportunity for exploring the trade market before then

Unlike the Desharnais deal I expect it is for minimal dollars so even if Bergevin finds other options via trade or UFA and Drewiske becomes the 9th defenseman and spends most of the year in Hamilton it is no big deal.

“Et le but!”

Your final point is the key which many here are missing. Even if his contract is 1-way, because it is less than 900K, if he gets sent to Hamilton that size of contract does not count against the cap. This move doesn’t limit MB in anyway with the exception of the 50 contract limit. But it sure is entertaining watching people act like our cap has just been ripped to shreds.

• Luke says:

Why now?
      Why wait?

depth at near minimal price. Never going to be a bad time to make this signing.

54. Small_Town_Boy says:

If Drewiske is so good why did he sit in the playoffs?

Dat’s wha me tinks

55. Bob Gaineys Stare says:

Check out the buy-out possibilities and cap crunches for all 30 teams, including the Canadiens:

56. Sportfan says:

What could be really funny is Drewiske has a great camp and season and at the end of next season everyone is praising MB for the signing and trade and then complaining that he wasn’t signed long enough :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

57. thebonscott says:

This guy never got a fair chance yet, he was solid 5th or 6th D when he played, he is certainly better than kabs, weber, and company. He may surprise next year when given a fair chance, i like the move.

GET BIGGER, GET TOUGHER, GET EVEN.

• Cal says:

He is a bigger softie toffee with no physical game. Habs would be better off to have signed some nutbar D out of the ECHL who can drop them for that price.

58. habsfan0 says:

Penguins sign Malkin,Habs then sign Drewiske.
    There’s no way Marc Bergevin was going to allow Ray Shero to upstage him.

59. AH says:

Drewiski takes a lot of heat on here, but I have no problem with him, he’s big, can hit, can move the puck, chips in on offense and overall I thought he played fine when he was in. People on here expected him to be the next Orr, but I must have missed the memo where he was advertised as that. In any case, I’ll defer to MB et al knowing more about his skills and abilities than myself.

• Timo says:

People expectations of Drewiske are proper – he is useless and everyone realizes that. People have expectations of Bergevin to NOT sign any more useless players – Habs have plenty already. But I guess that’s too much to expect.

• Cal says:

He can’t hit. Did you watch him play at all?

• GrosBill says:

Shoot, I thought we had the next Bobby Orr. The memo was so official looking….

• zephyr says:

I agree. he’s big & fairly mobile. he only had a cup of coffee with the habs at the end of the season & did well imo. he was learning the habs system at the time. he’s a big, stay-at-home guy who isn’t gonna get rag-dolled by bigger forwards. we’ll see how physical he plays when he’s confident & comfortable with his decision-making in our system. tinordi spent the whole season in our system & maybe mt felt he was a safer play in the playoffs. it’s a lightning fast game & u have to know what ur doing. sometimes good defenders are the ones u don’t notice. he can fill a role. it’s a good, low risk signing.

60. Luke says:

Shouldn’t the headline be:

Habs sign Drewiske to two-year deal; panic ensues.

61. Habitant in Surrey says:

…one thing We are not missing is run-of-the-mill ‘depth’ defencemen …no ?

62. Small_Town_Boy says:

Resigning a D man who was a scratch during the playoffs? OK
    3rd mistake for MB …

Dat’s wha me tinks

63. AH says:

LOL! Timo you must be ecstatic, now the #1 defense pairing on your all world team is set: MAB and Drewiskie!!

64. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Well, there goes the Carey for Malkin scenario .)

How many more useless, soft, ineffective players are Habs going to sign? What is it with this team?

66. ponyboy says:

625k, 650k. Reasonable price indeed.

67. Habitant in Surrey says:

…28 years old traded-for defenseman that was a coach’s decision not to play in the playoffs

…is there something I am missing here ?

• Cal says:

Yes. It’s the lack of sense. There’ll be many mediocre Dmen out there on UFA day. Why sign him after watching him throw zero hits in 8 or 9 games? I’d take him for a non-contact league, but not for an NHL club.

68. Sportfan says:

Did Malkin get overpaid? I don’t think so, because other teams would have paid more probably.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Chuck says:

Fleury buyout coming? ;)

__________________________________________________
      Anyone but the Sens! (Check.) And Boston. Oh, and the Laffs, too. (Double check.)

• Habfan10912 says:

I suppose Nick but isn’t that the cost of doing business in the free agent market? I think when you look at Crosby’s 8.7 million, Malkin is over paid. One thing I am fairly certain of, when the current CBA expires the owners will once again look for the players to save them from themselves.

69. BJ says:

Just read that Malkin has signed for 9.5 million per season. How do you remain competitive and under the cap with that kind of salary? And Crosby makes 8.7 million. Are they planning to move him before his next contract?

70. Sportfan says:

How much is this guy getting…. I mean he didn’t even get a chance in the playoffs right?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

71. BJ says:

82 games is a long season and we need affordable bodies. As per ponyboy’s comment re. Drewiske, he’s not expensive.

72. Caesar says:

Possibly the only one who cares. we will get a few who like him because Mcguire does and a few who trash him because McGuire likes him. At any rate in 1 hour from now we will be trashing Price and supporting MAB. This is HIO

73. ponyboy says:

MB and company know what they have with Drewskie. Depth signing with a low impact to the cap while the prospect dmen continue to develop.

74. Habfan10912 says:

I know I’m not the first one to question this signing.

• habsfan0 says:

I believe even DD questions it.

I don’t think Davis is the answer to many questions, but I actually didn’t think he was terrible either. Down the stretch Gorges/Boullion/Diaz they all looked not very good to me.

Part of me thinks the biggest reason Tinordi got the nod in the playoffs over Drewiske, was to give him a taste of NHL playoffs to learn from.

As others have said on the previous thread, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a Gorges traded this offseason. Have to assume Weber is either traded or waived good bye and the Kaberle buyout occurs as planned.