Habs sign Drewiske to two-year deal

The Canadiens have inked 28-year-old defenceman Davis Drewiske to a two-year contract extension.

Drewiske brings “experience and most importantly depth to our group of defenceman,” Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said in a statement released by the team on Thursday morning.

Drewiske played nine games with the Canadiens this season after being acquired from the Los Angeles Kings on April 2  in exchange for a fifth-round pick at this month’s NHL draft. However, the 6-foot-2 Wisconsin native was a healthy scratch during the playoffs when the Canadiens’ were eliminated by the Ottawa Senators in the first round.

The deal is a one-way contract, which will pay Drewiske $625,000 a season.

When Bergevin met with the media in April after the trade deadline, he said a team can never have enough defenceman, especially if you’re going to make the playoffs.

“He’s a stay-at-home defenceman. He’s a decent size, he’s got a great stick, kills penalties, blocks shots” and can handle good ice time, Bergevin said at the time.

Drewiske had seven points in 29 games this past season with a plus/minus differential of plus 3.

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Penguins sign Malkin to eight-year, $76-million contract extension, montrealgazette.com

NHL has new lease on life, by Cam Cole of Postmedia News

Hawks’ Shaw ends triple-overtime thriller, by Bruce Arthur of Postmedia News

Tortorella would keep things lively, but Canucks already have Melanson sideshow, by Tony Gallagher of Postmedia News

1. showey47 says:

Been at camp for the past week,i like this signing. Hopefully therrien pulls his head out his ass and learns to use him instead of bouillon in diaz in situations they have no business being in.

2. Bill says:

I agree that Plekanec has a great deal of trade value. He’s a versatile player who doesn’t get enough respect from Habs fans because he isn’t 6’2″. But any team that needs a number two centre would take this excellent player with a very reasonable cap hit.

I think the Canucks could use a guy like him, given Kesler’s health issues. The Rangers are another possibility, and I could see the Oilers and the Wild liking him as well.

One thing though, I’m not sure Galchenyuk will ever play centre in the NHL. I hope he will, but the Habs haven’t shown a lot of interest in using him that way.

3. Chris says:

With the Lecavalier rumour posted earlier, people were discussing cap circumvention tools. I am ashamed to see that so many people have failed to notice that Marc Bergevin himself came up with a rather ingenious CBA circumvention.

The new CBA limits contracts to 8 years, but Bergevin has neatly sidestepped this and has locked up Lars Eller for the next 34 years by signing Eller to a series of two-year contracts, according to Outbrain.

It is creative, out-of-the-box thinking like this that will get the Montreal Canadiens back to planning Stanley Cup parades.

4. ed says:

I know many of you love Plekanec – and he is a fine player indeed.
    But follow my logic for a moment and see if it makes sense to you.

1) the next time the Habs will challenge for the Cup, Galchenyuk will be our #1 centreman and he will be producing somewhere between 80-100 points per season.

2) at that point in time, Eller will be more than capable of playing the role of #2 centreman; bigger, stronger, and cheaper than Plekanec

3) Plekanec will be looking for a new deal equal to or greater than the 5 million he is being paid today; so he will be too costly as a 3rd line center

4) that’s why Desharnais was signed for 4 years, because the Habs like his 3.5 million as a 3rd line centreman salary, and his 40-50 points at that position.

5) therefore, Plekanec should be traded while his value is still sky high, which it is right now – this summer

6) we use Plekanec to get 2 players; a young power forward, and a young defenceman.

7) if both players that we acquire for Plekanec are big and nasty and NHL ready, we will have accomplished a great deal in the trade.

8) next season we use to continue the re-build by jump starting Galchenyuk and Eller into much more important roles; including special teams PP and PK.

I nominate Ed for GM, MB has made too many mistakes already as have been clearly outlined.

Seriously, totally agree with your train of thought. It is nothing against Plex, just a reality of how our future will look.

• Cal says:

I don’t agree with predicting play point production, but trading Pleks now for the long-term good of the team is necessary now. Habs just have to find the right dance partner.

• Chris says:

I don’t think your logic is off. But finding suitable trade partners willing to take Plekanec’s $5 M cap hit over the next three seasons is the trick. I just don’t see a lot of teams willing to eat that large a salary who also have a need for a #2 centre. Edmonton is probably the best bet, but you’re looking at prospects in that case.

• Habfan17 says:

I have said this many times and been raked over the coals. I am glad I have others who feel the same way. Here is what I had propossed earlier today.

Given that most if us agree the Habs need a 2nd line left wing and a couple of larger, gritty players. Add in that MB wants to build for the long term. Would you trade Plekanec and Gorges to San Jose for Petrecki, same age as Subban, plays left defence and is big and mean, Marleau, who can play left wing, his contract is up after next season and adds size and skill. Nice line with Eller and Gionta, and a 3rd round pick.

Then trade Holland and Weber to Chicago for Beach.

Both San Jose and Chicago have cap issues. The Habs now have added size and have filled holes. they are not tied up long term to Marleau, but if he works out, they could give him an extension to allow players like Bozon to develop.

Habfan17

• Ed says:

I am not interested in Marleau. He has always seemed to have more talent than results.

• Chris says:

I’m not sure that San Jose has that big of a cap issue. The have ~$9 M in cap space with which to sign Galiardi (RFA, top-6 forward), Desjardins (RFA, role forward), Sheppard (RFA, role forward), Kennedy (UFA, role forward) and Greiss (RFA, back-up goaltender).

Their other players to replace, Torres and Gomez, should be fairly cheap.

More importantly, the Sharks aging stars are all UFA’s, so if they don’t do well this season, they can deal them at the deadline for ludicrous hauls. Thornton, Marleau, and Boyle could all fetch significant returns at the trade deadline for a team loading up for a Stanley Cup run, which would allow the Sharks to launch their impending rebuilding effort.

• Ozmodiar says:

Nope, I don’t like the plan of having DD on the 3rd line taking easy minutes away from Galchenyuk. I want AG going out for those offensive zone draws and 5 on 3 powerplays.

DD should be traded when AG is ready to play in the middle – which isn’t quite yet. Maybe next year.

I think they’ll be able to compete in ’14 with this down the middle:
      AG
      Eller
      Pleks

Pleks on the 3rd line would be a luxury and would free up AG to rack up the points while playing with the best wingers. If the luxury is too expensive, then trade him for a cheaper, defensive minded 3rd line C + an asset. Similar to what Pitt did with Staal. He’ll still have good value in ’14/’15.

MB preaches strength down the middle, which does not equate to sophomore AG, Eller and DD.

Of course, any player can be traded for the right price, but this road map featuring DD in the middle isn’t a good one.

5. Ozmodiar says:

Oh man, that Bieber picture and headline was worth the visit here today. (outbrain link)

Hey I just got a great upgrade, now I get to look at Kim Basinger as she prepares for bankruptcy, much better than Douche kid in Sunglasses.

6. krob1000 says:

Taylor Hall on radio today discussing a local fundraiser in Kingston he does every year. He would not say he favours one team or the other…only that he really wishes he was playing and says he has not missed a second of playoff hockey. You could tell he wants to play meaningful hockey…the guys has won at all other levels and it is obviously very painful for him to watch year after year….I think this is the year the Oilers make the playoffs personally.

7. HabFanSince72 says:

Good day. No hockey to talk about since I don’t even hate the Bruins anymore.

Looks like Rupert Murdoch’s hot Asian wife Wendi Deng has been cheating on him with Tony Blair, who also happens to be the godfather of their children.

Blair’s denied it but apparently no one believes anything he says – for some reason.

Now back to hockey.

When Blair starts getting videotaped doing Crack, I’ll give that story some attention. ;-)

Until then I am focused on our Larger than Life Mayor in Toronto.

I am HardHabits
    Size and Grit. Tank, tank, tank, tank.
    I repeat myself

9. rogus says:

Come on Mr. Bregevin, you can do better than Drewiske!

10. Hobie Hansen says:

My old man met Lars Eller at a golf tournament this week and said he was a class act and very respectful to all the old farts!

Ok, back to work.

• savethepuck says:

Everything I hear about Lars including everything he says, makes me think he’s a genuine class act and not a hockey cliche spouter.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

Cool, Did he have a nice golf swing? I fear he gets early practise again next season.

And how did he look? His face took quite a workout, hopefully he is fully recovered.

11. Mattyleg says:

Hi everyone!

Don’t have anything to say at the moment, so just: Hi!
    It’s frikkin’ Friday, gang!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Is it safe to post? I have much more rumour and innuendo to spread.

• Mattyleg says:

*gasp!*

(Leans against the Post Office counter and chews tobacco, ears open.)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• coutNY says:

Start spreading the news!

• savethepuck says:

He was on another roll this morning. Check out his reply to me on my reply to your post at 7:21. Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory has a better comprehension of sarcasm than he does.
      Then read the last line of his reply to Mike’s post at 8:57. The irony was unreal.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

13. frontenac1 says:

@bripro. A Bruins fan? Really? My lad started out as a Habs fan,his favourite player was Leclair. He became a Flyers fan when he was traded. When Leclair retired he came back to be a Habs fan. There is still hope for you amigo.Keep the faith.Saludos!

14. Lafleurguy says:

Have a good day Gentlemen and Seven Ladies, and here’s something I was going to reserve for the next thread……FIRST!

15. adamkennelly says:

what do you think about this trade. Josh Gorges to Colorado for Jamie McGinn..

doable?

16. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey WJC. I totally agree with you about the whole lying thing, and many thanks for pointing out that the Zamboni discussion was humour. Boy am I embarrassed! And see my own contributions to that one? Oh boy! They were joking and I was for real! About Zambonis in the room. I might try and delete that now. Thanks for clearing it up for me. So are we cool now?

With the Zambonis, I was trying to be factual, as you and I both agree is the only way to go, but not realising that no one else was. At least I was trying, right? Those other bozos were just wasting our time and should go start their own non-factual humour site.

I’m with you, rookie, all the way!

17. Bripro says:

Dad can I borrow the car? No.
    Dad can I borrow the car? No.
    But the Bruins lost. I don’t care!
    But dad, my girlfriend….. Is a Bruins fan, so no.
    But dad…. Mat, it’s 7:30 am, you just finished your night shift. Go to bed.
    But I promise, the Bruins will lose the next game.
    If they do, you can borrow the car. For now, you’re SOL!
    AH CRAP! (dials cell phone) “Hi, he won’t lend me the car to go get you. We need to change allegiances.”
    (Me, thinking to myself…. “I win.”) :)

18. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hey WJC.
    I totally agree with sticking to the facts as you suggest to Hab in Burlington.
    In that vein, could I draw your attention to some potentially non-factual exchanges [see below] concerning the possible addition of Zamboni machines (or perhaps just their drivers, it’s hard to tell — where are the facts? where ARE the facts?) to the Montreal Canadiens. I mean is that allowed? Having big trucks on your team? If it’s not allowed, where does it say so?

Could you please get down there and sort those guys out like you sorted out Hab in Burlington? I’m with you, bud, all the way: nothing non-factual belongs on this site. I’d do it myself only I think it has much more impact coming from a rookie.

19. Habfan17 says:

Given that most if us agree the Habs need a 2nd line left wing and a couple of larger, gritty players. Add in that MB wants to build for the long term. Would you trade Plekanec and Gorges to San Jose for Petrecki, same age as Subban, plays left wing and is big and mean, Marleau, who can play left wing, his contract is up after next season and adds size and skill. Nice line with Eller and Gionta, and a 3rd round pick.

Then trade Holland and Weber to Chicago for Beach.

Habfan17

• wjc says:

Tell you what I will do, I don’t do this lightly by the way.

I will talk to management in San Jose and Chicago. I will be heading to Chicago today anyways to discuss hockey issues with Scotty Jr. and the boys. Then when I get things approved I will be off to San Jose for a round of golf and more discussions.

I think they will go for it. I am quite optimistic. Then I will come back for some quick discussions with Mark and his team and perhaps we can grab some grub with the Mr. Molson….no first names here…ha ha.

Excellent work putting this deal together and I will be in touch. I have a secret post office box on Prairey Street. chow.

20. Habfan10912 says:

Today’s word(s) of the day brought to you by Burly.

A meniscus is the curved surface of a liquid.
    A concave meniscus curves downwards, with the middle being lower than the sides
    A convex meniscus curves upwards, with the middle being higher than the sides.

• Lafleurguy says:

Ohh, Ohh……Horshack requests you do “rose-colored glassses!”

• Walmyr says:

I have to say…you guys are really funny…It’s nice to come to work, go to the internet and start to read what you guys “have to say”…

Good morning to you all…

See ya!!!…

(btw…sorry about my english…)

• wjc says:

Now, use it a sentence. The goalie used a concaved glove to deflect the puck into the crowd.

Now use it in a practical everyday sentence. Such as “may I have a cup of ‘menscus’ coffee, kind sir. Double, double ‘menicus’ coffee kind sir.

They will appreciate your brilliance and the restaurant will break out in spontaneous clapping, noting how impressed they are with you.

However in real life they will role their eyes and say “for here or to go”…..next.

• Lafleurguy says:

Ohh, Ohh……Horshack requests you post about Danny Grant and Mickey Redmond again….that was cool……..

• wjc says:

Danny Grant, traded to Minnesota for future draft picks….Wren Blair a favorite trading partner.

Mickey Redmond, traded for Big Frank Mahovalich.

You forgot Garry Monahan, traded for Pete Mahovalich.

They all played for the Peteborough Petes when Montreal owned the team.

Thanks for the memories.

• Lafleurguy says:

I loved those times! Shortly after Grant and Redmond, up from the farm came Chuck Lefley and Chuck Arnason.

• Maritime Ron says:

“Role” their eyes?
        The eyes do have a role and that is to see.
        Rolling is quite different….

• JohnBellyful says:

[This space for rent]

21. Lafleurguy says:

Is everyone just jockeying to be first in the new thread?
    Re: Burly’s and MerryTimes repartee about CBA loopholes (was I supposed to type #Burly/MerryTimes?), same story different actors. The hidden luxury tax that rich teams can afford now has the guise of these creative trades and buyouts whereas formerly, it was in the guise of burying players in the minors.

• Habfan10912 says:

You just wait until the Habs announce they’ve resigned the Zamboni drivers. This place is going to explode.

• Lafleurguy says:

LOL, Habs need bigger more physical Zamboni drivers. They’ll be better at “clearing the ice in front of the net.”

• Maritime Ron says:

The bigger more physical driver isn’t important. He has to have heart and a high compete level when he drives hard to the corners.

• Lafleurguy says:

And a bonus would be having good hands. On the fence whether they need to be good fighters.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

As we speak, walls are being altered and doorways enlarged so that the Habs can benefit from how good the new Zambonis are reputed to be in the room.

• Maritime Ron says:

Maybe we trade DD to Tampa for their Zamboni drivers.
            Then we do a Compliance Buyout of the Zamboni drivers and package them with Weber Moen and Gorges for the #3 pick.
            Is that too much to pay?

• JohnBellyful says:

Montreal Canadiens announced today they have signed Sam Boni to a one-year contract.
            Canadien fans quickly registered their disapproval, saying the last thing the organization needs is a player who has a reputation for being clean.
            GM Marc Bergevin countered that Boni is exactly what Montreal needs — a hard-hitting defenceman.
            “He’s a great leveller who’s not afraid of the chippy stuff,” he said.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

From NHL.COM:

“29 teams seek permission to expand squad size for purpose of accommodating 8 back-up goalies each following projected fatalities involving Montreal Canadiens’ new goal-crashing signing, Sam Boni.”

• Lafleurguy says:

“Sam comes from a family who has a rich history in male ballet dance. However, the Boni’s have a family trait not unlike the Hapsburg jawline relegating them to back-up roles. The physical anomaly did not deter Boni’s twin uncles from completing a twelve year run in Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Suite. They were two of the nutcrackers. Sam hopes to do his family proud by reproducing his uncles’ achievements in this, the Boni family’s first foray in the field (icerink?) of hockey.”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

CAN’T TOP THAT!
            Very loud LOL! Including tears!
            Brill!

22. Lafleurguy says:

If the ‘Hawks weren’t in the finals, I would know nada about Andrew Shaw. Essentially, he’s two inches taller than Brendan Gallagher (I believe BG is 5’8″) and that difference is enough for Shaw to agitate and deliver in the hitting game. Gallagher is uber courageous but the physical aspect of his game consists only in taking a beating in the hot zones. Shaw is 10 months older than Gallagher but was passed over in the 2010 draft that saw Gallagher taken in the fifth round. Shaw was subsequently a fifth rounder in 2011. Of course, there are guys like David Clarkson and David Desharnais who were never drafted. Sixteen days ’til the biggest event to hit New Jersey’s Prudential Center since Springsteen rocked the joint.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning Guy! It’s funny how unpredicatable scouting is when it comes to heart. Players like Clarkson seem to over come any skill/physical shortcomings by having “it”. Gallagher is a good example of a player who has “it”. I wonder how much of that “it” wheres off on their teammates? Has to be some, no?

• Lafleurguy says:

Hiya Gentleman Jim! The leadership aspect of Gallagher’s play will expand in the near future. If you’re a teammate of his, and bigger, and more experienced, and better paid……

“May you live in interesting times.”

There is an interesting rumour from this blogger which has Toronto trading a package of players and picks for Tampa’s 3rd overall pick and Lecavalier. Toronto then buyouts out Vinny who in turn goes back to Tampa on a much cheaper contract.

Essentially Toronto purchases the 3rd overall pick.

• Lafleurguy says:

More….
      Mornin’…..
      More brilliant than the Tim Thomas trade.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Gerald! It’s too early in the morning to think about how this makes sense to anyone. I guess it’s a form of the rich using their seemingly unlimited resources to buy a player.

I have no issues with this, in baseball we watch how teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels etc… spend spend and spend. It is their risk, but also their reward.

If I was a Leaf fan I would want my ownership to utilize their resources if possible. I wish Molson had deep enough pockets to pull off such a move.

Morning Jim, I think Cato is happy to have the Green Hornet here this morning.

• Maritime Ron says:

gmorning,

While anything is possible, this one is tough to believe.
      Tampa needs to shed salary and bringing on “2 mid level Leafs roster players” could equate to the Vinny Cap hit of $7.7M.
      IF Tampa wants to deal, there is something else better out there for them than this proposal.

If that did happen, it would be also interesting to see if the NHL would approve that type of deal or would they see tHat as a CBA Circumvention

I don’t think the NHL would have a problem with this, the players win, the league wins in that the rich teams still get some advantages, while the lesser teams get their bad contracts handled for them.

• Maritime Ron says:

What’s funny in all of this is finding the loophole to resign your own Compliance Buyout. The new CBA says a team doing the Compliance buyout could not resign that same player for 1 year. So just trade him, have someone else do the buyout, then resign.

You would figure the jungle of lawyers would have seen that coming, yet were too busy negotiating towels and shower supplies…

Maybe they purposely left this open. I seem to recall that the Rangers, Leafs, Habs etc ownership were not happy with how the CBA talks went and wanted higher cap etc… So this could be the bone given to the wealthy clubs.

As you say hard to believe they would have missed this. Who knows, but I give credit to teams that have the creative mindset to help their own club.

I didn’t like the Thomas trade, cap circumvention etc…, but good on Boston for figuring out a way to get the Thomas cap hit off their books.

• Maritime Ron says:

Good points,Burly

• Habfan10912 says:

I never thought about that Ron. Perhaps the league would step in but since they didn’t for the Bruins/Islanders fiasco with Thomas I’m not sure they would here either. Morning by the way.

• Lafleurguy says:

There’s time for the Habs to scoop the Leafs. Essentially, we would be acquiring Jonathan Drouin with this journey through loopholes.

• wjc says:

I love ‘BLOGGER’ rumour’s. Based on the imagination. Bloggers with absolutely no sources, just a fertile imagination. Keep up the good work.

wjc

No one is saying it is fact wjc, I was clear in saying rumour, clear in saying it is just a blogger. BUt it is a creative idea. Does everything in your life get greeted with such positivity? When you go to a restaruant do you require your glass of water to have a convex meniscus thus essentially giving you a completely full glass?

• Lafleurguy says:

w., you’re criticism is of John Jaeckel, the source for the rumour. No need to erroneously bash informative posters on this site.

• wjc says:

My bash (as you call it) is with people who repeat blogger nonsense.

Informative poster would not repeat ‘nonsense’. It is based on sources that can be checked, then go for it. The league is not about to implod on itself….remember 30 partners working together.

Remember the players from all the teams standing in unity. Well, now imagine the owners and management standing together in ‘unity’.

So unfurrow that brow my friend and realize bullcrap is bullcrap and will always be bullcrap no matter what ‘blogger’ I am supposed to hold accountable…..just ignore it.

wjc

Apparantly the Tampa Bay Blog site shut down from all the posters up in arms over the signing of this depth player.

25. Shackles says:

Gorges can’t be traded – Where will Gallagher live? Who will cook and clean his room for him?

• wjc says:

Such insight ‘shackles’, I can see it now…homeless, sitting under a bridge with a can of beans opened with a knife.

People saying he keeps ranting about some Georges dude. I used to have a room he will say, didn’t even have to clean it. Another lost soul, waundering aimlessly.

26. jphk says:

Given what Streit and Gonchar are getting, the bill on PK will be hefty..

27. EL_PRESEDENTE says:

I gotta source, o’er in the front office. Says ol’ man Georges is on his way out. Heard it ‘ere first.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I find that hard to believe given that Georges has a big contract that would make it difficult for someone else to take on. How many buyouts are the Habs entitled to ? I assume Kaberle is being bought out.

• AllHailTheFlower says:

Ol’ man Georges what? (I’m assuming you dropped an apostrophe) And who the hell is George anyway? George Carlin? George Jones? George of the Jungle?

Pro tip: If you’re gonna post unfounded crap about a Habs player, learn how to spell his name first.

• wjc says:

Sorry to say I have the same source apparently. Georges is gone, gone for the summer, gone and they told him don’t come back until hockey season. The dreaded Drewiskie has come and taken your job.

“Not Drewiskie” says George’s….not the dreaded Drewiskie, interloper, job stealer. Stay tuned, my fly on the wall knows all.

28. PrimeTime says:

A lot of people with a lot of time on their hands. If you’re all so smart, what the F are you doing here arguing on a blog with other morons?? Entitled azzes!!

29. JohnBellyful says:

The Habs signed a D-man – Drewiske
    As signings go it wasn’t too riske
    But Hab fans got in a snit
    Saying he hasn’t got grit
    ‘He’s not much of a tough guy now iske!’‘

30. Sportfan says:

This Boston team shows how stupid the Maple Leafs are Rask, Hamilton, and Seguin imagien if Toronto if kept all of them.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• mksness says:

the raycroft trade was horrible but there was no way to say boston would have targeted rask nor would he have panned out.

the kessel deal? well seguin has one goal in the playoffs. i don’t think that trade will end up being as bad as everyone make it out to be. sucks they gave up hamilton though

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

Rask was a ‘lucky’ but smart acquisition for the Bruins. The Bs have EXCELLENT scouts to have seen the potential in that kid’s style way back then. They gave up a Calder winner for a raw and unproven commodity. Raycroft won rookie of the year. That’s Dryden-type of potential. Segun and Hamilton haven’t been so impressive. Kessel, on a team like the Pens or Bolts or any team with excellent centremen would be a solid 40-50 goal man. Now if only the Habs can get some of those Bruins scouts to resign and come work in Montreal… It’s time to fire Timmins and his group of idiots who thought AK was a better player than Getzlaf.

You do realize that the best player in the Kessel for two 1sts and 2nd is Kessel right? Two consecutive years in the Top 10 in scoring in the NHL. 119 Goals in 4 seasons for Toronto, 61 goals Boston. Toronto needed a goal scorer.

Hamilton may indeed become a very good dman, but so far Toronto has an elite player in the NHL and Boston has two players with high potential.

Not so sure analysis is as obvious as you think.

• wjc says:

Yea, Kessel would be kicking ass in Boston. Natural goal scorers are a sought after commodity. Truth be known they would love to have Kessel in the lineup for offense.

31. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

Excellent signing. Big bodies are what the Habs need. Hey Bergevin, turn your attention to dumping Price, Pleks, Markov and Gionta. That’s about 23 MILLION DOLLARS of worthless bodies in a reduced-cap world; if you include other worthless bodies like Kaberle and Gorges you’re over 30 MILLION DOLLARS for 6 guys who are absolutely useless in the playoffs. Okay you obtuse and delusional fans who think this team is just swell, let’s hear your inane comments. I need a good laugh. Too bad the IQ of Hab fans has gone down so substantially in recent years.

• punkster says:

Hey, congrats…you guys signed Orr…Yonge Street must be jam packed with celebration tonight?
      ***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• JohnBellyful says:

And to think this guy’s favourite player is Jean Beliveau.
      It is to weep.

• wjc says:

Obtuse? delusional? Isn’t ‘swell’ a swell word. Inane? How do you know the I.Q. is down substantially?

I.Q.’s don’t generally go down or rise as a rule. If you need a good laugh, dumb it down, dumb it down, most of us ‘stupids’ don’t know what those big words mean.

I agree with you ‘dump em all’ save money…economize.

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

wjc: Come on! I need angrier and more derogatory comments to have a good laugh. Please allow me to clarify that Hab fans as a collective group used to know good hockey players and good teams and coaches at a glance. These past few years (about 20+ years actually) ‘we’ have been duped into thinking that the ’4th liners’ and career minor leaguers who have made up the bulk of recent teams are actually quality hockey players because the mgmt. has chosen to pay them inordinate amounts of money. In the 60s and 70s the fans would have ridiculed the mgmt. for trying to pass off these duds as legitimate pro hockey players. Now the fans actually believe what the mgmt. tells them as the truth… Price is a thoroughbred… Gorges is a top 4 D-man…Pleks is a #1 centreman…DD is an amazing playmaking centre…Beaulieu is the next thoroughbred…etc. An old saying to think about: The truth is just a lie told to an idiot.

• wjc says:

Different time, different system. The Leafs were able to win 4 Stanley cups in the 60′s under that 6 team, sign 13 years old’s for life.

It was a good system for the Leafs and Canadiens back then with only 4 other teams competing for players and two of them didn’t really compete.

When they had to give up protected players because they had so many, they were traded for future players. Every team is on equal footing now and there are 29 other teams competing in a universal draft. A smart guy like you should be able to see the obvious.

The Leafs sold their farm system’s and it hurt them for years after. They also traded young players for older players that hurt them later also.

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

wjc: You are right. These are different times and the discrepancy in currencies and the tax rates and the emphasis on an overall lifestyle preferred by players all factor in to the equation as well as the # of teams competing for the talent pool. However, the Habs have done a horrible job of drafting b/c they want to win with yesterday’s style of play. The mgmt. envisions fast little forwards (francophone preferably) skating around ‘pylon’-type of d-men (Anglophone preferably),passing the puck deftly between their legs and deking out the goalie by SLIDING the puck along the ice into the net as the goalie and d-man lie prostrate on the ice. Never gonna happen! I see the reasons you have outlined but I get frustrated when I see the Habs refuse to adapt and do the necessary things for real success. I doubt the Habs will make the playoffs next year. As long as they are behind Price 150% (Bergevin clearly paid no attention in Math class) and sign/draft duds like Gorges and Pleks and Diaz,Weber and AK and Bourque and Beaulieu there is no hope. I fear I will go to my grave without seeing another Stanley Cup go to Montreal. You have to admit that the Habs are not even in the same universe as the Wings, Blues, Bruins, Hawks, Pens etc. or even the Sens. Not one single Habs player could make the roster of any of those first 5 teams I mentioned. How sad for old Hab fans like me.

32. thebonscott says:

so philly will overpay streit, he will nosedive over next few years and once again philly will have another bad contract, hahahahhaha

GET BIGGER, GET TOUGHER, GET EVEN.

• wjc says:

How do you explain, the Canadiens were the last ‘Canadian’ team to win the cup.

How do explain all the teams that have never won a cup, why don’t you rag on them. Teams had to finish bottom for a long while to reap the benefits of the draft…big time.

The Canadiens and the Leafs for that matter have been ‘cursed’ with never falling to the bottom for a number of years and picking off those 1st, 2nd, 3rd plums off the draft tree.

They have had to make due with 12 to 18 draft picks because they have never been able to drop out of the playoffs for 5 years or so and end up on the bottom. Fans would have to be indiffent about hockey as they are in some North American cities.

33. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Signing a depth defenceman that makes 10x less than the starting goalie is the least of the Habs problems. That being said, why can’t they get a physical right handed D-man? It is frustrating watching so many of the young D-men being forced to play on their wrong side.

34. jphk says:

Old piece (1981) on hockey by Mordecai Richler: http://thestacks.deadspin.com/what-hockey-needs-is-more-violence-512892605

Funny to see that Dre is making more than Marcel Dionne did at the peak of his career :)

35. chrskwn says:

how about signing drewiske, trading gorges to relieve the cap space and using it to land subban a higher and long term contract because evidently its what hes gonna ask for

36. RiverviewCanadien says:

I remember reading some posts here during the lockout, about how these NHL players don’t deserve all this money they get, where those who save lives get peanuts comparatively.

Malkin will be paid 9.5 million every year to play hockey. But no, everyone wants to bitch about a depth signing by someone who runs the Montreal Canadiens.

Un-frickin’-real…

• wjc says:

When they sign these guys to these big contracts for all those years. Remember one thing, they have to keep salaries within a cap.

Also when they sign these guys to these big contracts for all those years, they are guaranteeing that no other league can compete with them.

That mistake was made in the 70′s and it resulted in the WHA.

So as long as they keep it within cap guidelines the NHL will never have any competition with all the territories eaten up as well.

In the 50′s as there is today there were owners, fans, and players. Owners were happy…they got players cheap…..fans were happy, they got to watch the best of the best….the players got shafted.
      2 out 3 were happy

Today owners are happy, they have all the best players locked up for many years, shutting out any competition.

The players are happy because they get to become fabulously wealthy.

The fans get shafted because most can’t afford to go to games, unless you are willing to part with thousands of dollars.

Once again 2 out 3 are getting a great deal.

• ebk says:

and the fans are happy because continue to go to games, watch them on TV in record numbers and by NHL crap at record numbers. When that stops happening then you can say only 2 of 3 are happy.

• wjc says:

Yes some fans are happy, because they will spend, spend, spend. Then someday wake up and say, where did all my money go.

Fans only return is an emotional return, they never get a dividend, they never get shares that can be traded in.

Most never get to go to games live unless they are willing to spend, spend, spend. One beer and a pretzel, that will be $20.00 sir.

I refuse to be a sucker…..money makes the world go around and pissing it away kills you eventually in most cases.

• formerly known as the hc says:

Honestly, I am only concerned about my bottom line and nobody elses. If someone wishes to pay $10+ for a glass of draft and $500.00+ to watch a game, $50 for a ball cap, etc, that is their business, not mine.

• Chris says:

Perhaps, but the arenas have never been filled more consistently across the NHL so there is clearly more than enough of those people willing to part with thousands of dollars.

And with the expansion of internet and satellite television, fans have never had access to watching more games, so it is somewhat hard to argue that fans are not getting a great deal.

Growing up in the 1980′s, I lived and breathed the Montreal Canadiens through newspaper clippings and Hockey Night in Canada, when they deigned to play a Habs game (I was lucky to be CHEX-TV range here in Ontario, who played Montreal games all the time).

For all the complaints about fans getting screwed, fans have never had their addictions more fulfilled than what is currently being offered.

• wjc says:

Hey if the fans can get screwed and smile, I say…go for it.

I know the arena’s are full, but, the average family can no longer go to NHL games. If you are alright with that, then I am happy for you.

Hockey is a good sport, but the season is too long and the prices are too high, for the average fan. He has to content watching on T.V. and never see a game live.

• formerly known as the hc says:

… or go to watch Junior A, CIS, CHL, AHL, etc

• Chris says:

Like I said above, there are tons of Montreal Canadiens fans who never had an opportunity to watch the Habs live because they grew up in small-town Saskatchewan or Newfoundland. It simply wasn’t economically feasible.

So today’s NHL is, by and large, no different for many Habs fans than the “glory” years. Does it suck for Montreal fans? A little. I managed to get to a couple of Habs games in the Molson Ex Zone, and those tickets were affordable. The Best Buy Family Zone is also affordable. Those tickets are tough as heck to get, but what do people expect for the Montreal Canadiens, who have had a waiting list years long for season tickets?

As for the season being too long, you are quite frankly arguing in circles now. If the season were too long for the average fan, people wouldn’t be watching or attending games. Yet there they are, in October (desperately awaiting the start of the season) and in June (lamenting that their team isn’t still playing). I think this line is a red herring.

• wjc says:

hc, I agree with you whole heartily, non of my business. However, it does become my business when the game becomes priced out of most people reach. Corporations support a lot of sport now.

One game a year, maybe for the average joe and mrs. Joe….forget taking the two kids. You would have to really save hard and then not get great seats.

Not complaining, just stating the facts, the fans are on the short end of the shaft now.

• wjc says:

Chris, what you say is so true, I cannot argue. If the season never ended some people would never tire of it. Myself, every season after the first round (best round) is played and the weather gets nice, I get bored with the whole thing.

In October, you do get interested, when the weather changes and it is something to do on a cold winter night in January. But, to me it goes on and on and on….even the players get bored, I am sure.

But the financial rewards are such that they can endure. The owners can cut out to a warmer climate and who would miss them for a couple of months.

Back in the day the season started in October and ended in April….just about right for me.

I would like to see it start in September and end in early May….and then take a break and re-charge for a new season a few months later.

Take time out for baseball or some other summer sport. Playing in June is a bit much, for me anyways…I could careless who wins, just get the bloody thing over with already. Even the talking heads have nothing to say that isn’t just repeating themselves adnauseum. The hockey panels look bored to tears and Cherry is out of anything smart or stupid to say.

The boredom shows up on here, witness the Drewiskie chatter. The Montreal hockey management people must look at each other and giggle.

37. The Dude says:

Drewskie is as good as Gorges ….thanks for your services Gorges ,you and you Buds Carey are going to love Dallas .

• wjc says:

How about this Drewiskie is a spare part, insurance if you will.

He will get a fresh start and be up to speed with the system etc. He has decent size and if he fails to live up to what they are expecting, then what are you out.

However if he plays his role, he gets a million and half guaranteed dollars over 2 years. The Canadiens get a player that fills a void as a tough stay at home defenseman.

This is a no brainer…..children.

38. Psycho29 says:

Hahahahahah……..I love this signing……Just because it pisses off certain people!!!!

39. NoTinFoilCups says:

Sh@t great poll, no didn’t hang on until the turd overtime but jus, deligh’d dat oi foun da gme at a $22 hotel in Santiago. RD!
    Luv readin’ all yur sh%t Finlandia!
    GO HAWKS! Buck da Fruins (but tanks fer knockin off the pens)
    FFFFTTT!

40. Sean Bonjovi says:

About six minutes into the 2nd overtime period (2nd? Maybe the 1st) in last night’s game I’m pretty sure that a Boston defenceman had Jonathan Toews in a choke hold with his stick around Toews’ neck right in front of the net. Did anyone else see that, or did I imagine it? CBC didn’t show a replay, but that could be because I didn’t see what I thought I saw.

41. PrimeTime says:

It’s so obvious that the posers here who crave Big, Mean, Tough players for
    “Revenge” or “Pay Back” are looking to make up for their own shortcomings

42. MR.PERFECT says:

I see nothing, I hear nothing.

43. Mark C says:

Hilarious! Can’t believe all the miss placed outrage over a depth signing. Only on HIO.

44. ont fan says:

Almost 6 periods last night and six penalties. 3 for too many men. Power plays seem meaningless. We got our work cut out for us.

45. H.Upmann says:

This giveth Timo cause to rejoice. For he was lost, but is now a believer.

46. thebonscott says:

he scored 3 points in 9 games in a limited role, that extrapolates to 27 points in 82 games, look at how much 27 point d-men make in the nhl and you will see how good a deal this is. for a back up dman it is a steal.

GET BIGGER, GET TOUGHER, GET EVEN.

• This Guy says:

Can’t agree that a nine game stint is a large enough sample, but I like the signing- solid 7th or 8th defenceman (if Tinordi sticks and Bouillon remains higher on the depth chart). With the production we already have on the backend, some more reliable defence may be what the doctor orders. We’ll see whether Drewiske can provide that.

47. Lazarus_taxa says:

Wow, Drewiske raging all kinds today. Happy to see that an asset was retained, and a decent team guy who played decent defense was given another season to show his capabilities at a bargain basement price. I think I will take a break from lurking here until some meaningful discussion returns. Maybe around the draft? One can hope….

48. ed says:

When Marc Bergevin analyzes and evaluates an NHL defenceman’s talents, some of you guys might want to pay a little attention.

Why?

Because Bergevin knows what it takes to play defence at the NHL level.

Drewiske is our number 7 d-man; he obviously is comfortable playing that role, and he obviously agreed to that role because Bergevin added a 2nd year to the contract.

Tinordi and Beaulieu are more talented, but not experienced.

Tinordi and Beaulieu are young, and young d-men should not be used as “depth” players who sit up in the press box.

I think Tinordi is top 6 starting next season. He replaces Emelin.

Listen to what Bergevin says. He knows this business.

• piper says:

Then why did he not use him in the playoffs?

• ed says:

Because Tinordi’s specific strength, size, was the biggest asset we were missing when Emelin got hurt.

• piper says:

Exactly, and thats what he should have been spending that cap space on. Not Drewiskie.

• commandant says:

There is no cap space spent on Drewiske. He makes just barely over NHL minimum.

In order to survive in the NHL you need someone who will be a defenceman who will mostly be in the pressbox but will fill in and odd times. You must sign 1 player to do this.

The player we have signed is Davis Drewiske. We paid like 80,000 above what the cheapest you can pay an NHL player is.

There is no wasted cap space. No matter what, there would be a player like Drewiske in the press box doing this role.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• piper says:

Fair enough. I just would have found someone else.

• HabFab says:

Not quite with this signing but then I don’t claim to know more then the professionals. Understand the depth but would like to see more nasty.

• ed says:

this is a player who can play NHL minutes. he serves that purpose.

we might get nastier with another move.

Also, I think you will see Tinordi get nastier and nastier next season. That will show up in the pre-season, and that will help earn him a top 6 position.

49. Ncognito says:

I’m pretty good friends with Gerard Gallant and Grant Sonier, so If I see them out this weekend I will run some of these trade proposals and signings by them. They should be worth a few laughs. Yesterday I asked Grant about the habs possibility of getting a big mean Dman with pick #25 and he said they should be able to get some great prospects due to being such a deep draft.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Why would they want another big, mean dman? Tinordi is about to crack the NHL and Dalton Thrower is as mean as the come?

They also have Beaulieu and a handful of other defenceman in Hamilton pushing for NHL jobs.

Usually you go for the best player available but I’d have to think a big forward is at the top of their list?

• Ncognito says:

I didn’t say the habs wanted another big mean Dman – I asked because I would like them to draft a big mean Dman. You can draft who you want :-). I’m a believer of building from the net out and an extra big Dman with an attitude where I would be looking.
        In a few short years Subban, Beaulieu and Dietz will be the PP guys. Markov will be gone. Tinordi, Emelin and my draft pick will look after the back end. Gorges & Diaz can be traded. I’m not quite sold on Thrower, Pateryn, Ellis or Bennett.

• issie74 says:

I am pretty sure posters do not know about Dalton Thrower.

NorthTOHab

• wjc says:

Thrower hasn’t played in the AHL yet and Tinordi is a rook, rook, ready for it …..a rookie. He can come in and out of the lineup and when he is out they can put some experience out there.

Also if injuries hit, it is nice to have the depth.

50. 123456 says:

since I just saw a few posts on goalies – some food for thought – the blackhawks have had a goalie turnstyle the past few seasons – huet, khabibulin , niemi, emery, Crawford maybe more idk…. I remember thinking a few years ago they had $11M tied up in goalies. not that I think the habs need to follow suit. . . the point here is that many goalies are hot and cold throughout their careers (see Thomas, Miller)

51. mksness says:

i think it’s time for this GM to be bold and move out some of our talent to address building a team that can win in the playoffs.

drewiske is not the answer and i don’t think this team can win with close to 8m in goaltending. do something crazy shake up the ship and build a team already MB

52. SoFlaHab says:

Drew’s a good depth D-Man. He’s a great #7.

• 123456 says:

agreed – markov or kaberle will be bought out – most likely to later.

at some point weber will be moved unless he I kept for more spare parts.

through the season I am guessing most teams have about 8 dmen that play… a couple spare parts earning the min is not wasted space.

$3 M plus on guys who get a dozen goals is wasted money… also too many similar players – Armstrong, white, moen. . . . habs have too many of these guys.

• piper says:

yep, good if our top six stay healthy. I hope I’m wrong about this guy but I just don’t see it.

53. christophor says:

Contrary to the standard picture being painted here, the Habs were a good 5v5 team last year.

That wasn’t the case in previous years.

54. commandant says:

First Pelss, and now Scott Winkler? What a sad day in the hockey world.

RIP to Winkler, and still holding out hope that Pelss is somehow alive.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• HabFab says:

Can’t wait for round 2 even though I’m not enamored with “our” pick :) Good work as usual Ben. Noticed our NY friend was using my name at another site that day…wish he would at least try to make me look smarter then I am.

55. piper says:

Wow! I know its a low $ signing but add that to the DD signing and thats a chunk of money and cap space to throw away.