Habs shake up lines at practice

The Canadiens hit the ice Monday morning for practice in Brossard with a complete new set of lines as they prepare to face the Minnesota Wild Tuesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The new setup had Tomas Plekanec at centre with Rene Bourque and Brian Gionta; Lars Eller with Alex Galchenyuk and Brandon Prust; David Desharnais with Max Pacioretty and Brendan Gallagher; and Daniel Briere with Michael Bournival and Travis Moen. George Parros and Ryan White were the odd men out.

The defensive pairings at practice ended up having P.K. Subban with Andrei Markov; Josh Gorges with Alexei Emelin; and Francis Bouillon with Raphael Diaz. Douglas Murray was the seventh defenceman.

Coach Michel Therrien went back to some line combinations that were successful last season when the Canadiens ranked third in goals scored behind Pittsburgh and Chicago. This season, the Canadiens rank 21st in goals for with 2.43 a game and that number is shrinking. The Canadiens have 18 goals in their last 11 games, an average of 1.64.

“We liked what we saw last year with (Rene) Bourque, (Tomas) Plekanec and (Brian) Gionta,” Therrien said. “We didn’t get the start we were looking for from them, but we’ll see what they can do. And we have Brendan Gallagher with (David) Desharnais, who is competing, and so is Pacioretty. We believe it’s going to be good for our team.”

Said Pacioretty, who has only two goals this season: “We played most of last season together and we had some success. (Gallagher) can dig out pucks and maybe get his nose dirty. He might help us out, but we all have to take a look in the mirror and we all have to play better.”

Said Gallagher: “Things aren’t going well, so we have to make some changes. I’m familiar with what they can do.”

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Canadiens vs. Wild preview, NHL.com

Habs looking for offence, by Pat Hickey

Turning the tide, Canadiens.com

Words from the room (video), Canadiens.com

Desharnais weighed down by big contract, by Jack Todd

The Great Wall of Montreal, Canadiens.com

Remembering the 2003 Heritage Classic, NHL.com

Wild coming off win over Jets, minnesotawild.com

Sixth consecutive home win for Wild, Minneapolis Star Tribune

50 landmark hockey fights, SI.com

1. Eddie says:

So there’s many excellent players on the Wild, but I will be watching locally born and raised Marco Scandella.

When I think of building a defence behind Subban, I like the 6’3 210 lbs, 23 year old Scandella, who is very mobile, skilled, but big enough that he can play against the toughest the NHL has to offer. He’s not going to fight, or take penalties, he’s just going to play solid hockey all over the ice, give everything he’s got, and very likely help keep the puck out of his net.

2. jimmy shaker says:

Speaking of goals scorers, Cammy available…….would he? would the habs? oh the humanity!

Shaker out

3. Rad says:

I actually like the new lines. Pleks with Gionta and Bourque worked well last year, as did Prust with Eller. And putting Gallagher with anybody should help light a fire under their butt. Bournival will help Briere for the same reason. The Wild are playing well, but the Habs are rested, at home, and need a statement game. I expect to see a big Canadien win tomorrow night.

4. jols101 says:

Too many of the top brass at this QMJHL/Russia game. They are going to draft the 5’5 140 lbs Russian kid that just scored a beauty. They can ‘t help themselves.

5. CH Marshall says:

Slick goal by Tkachev

6. WAR72 says:

Calling a hockey line ‘egg’ line. Because the players names start with- e, g, g. Wow! So unoriginal. And super uncool. I hate it. Its so bad and ugly and uninspiring. This must be stopped. Just call them the kidline or anything. Please, scramble the egg.

7. Jed says:

Glad to see Hudon doing well in the super series, hope he can hold down a spot for Canada at the world juniors.

8. Cal says:

Jets-Calgary game getting more intense in the 2nd.
    No score yet.
    Edit- The Squid just scored. 1-0 Calgary.
    Now 1-1. Frolik pots it. 9 minutes left in the 2nd.
    Frolik deflects it in- own goal. 2-1 Calgary.

2-1 Calgary after 2. Byfuglien holding off 2 Flames that were trying to finish something Big Buff started. Very unwise. Thankfully, a linesman grabs a Flame and things go quiet.

9. naweed235 says:

I think they best/most beneficial question that a reporter can ask MaxPax and Bourque is what type of a player do you believe you are?

a) Power forward
    b) Finesse player
    c) 2 way player defensive forward

If they answer is a) then someone needs to clearly explain to them what driving the net means.
    If they answer the other 2 options, well then someone needs to search their lockers for some crack.

10. JF says:

If we were dissatisfied with last week – 5 out of a possible 8 points (or 3 out of 6 discounting the Islanders game which I guess was the week before) – we’re likely to be in full panic mode by the end of this week. We may perhaps get a point or two, but it’s very possible we’ll get none at all. In fact, the only game in the next two weeks that should be well within our reach is next Wednesday’s game against Buffalo.

11. Steeltown Hab says:

Anyone else here going to happy to see Galchenyuk take Pacioretty’s spot on team USA?

Something needs to wake this guy up. Great you come in top shape but you still play like a joke and focus on promoting your buddy DD instead of winning battles on the ice.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Kooch7800 says:

he isn’t playing much better than DD. He really needs to get the monkey off his back. I bet when he does he will score a bunch

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

12. Steeltown Hab says:

So let’s say hypothetically we see no injuries to any of the current D on the roster going forward.

Let’s also assume play remains the same…do we think we’ll see a Beaulieu, Tinordi, or Pateryn up at some point?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

I would guess the callup of either of them is or would be based on whether or not those guys develop specific parts of their game which I am assuming they were told to work on, upon being sent down.

If indeed progress is seen, then perhaps a callup, but it would still probably be initiated by either injury or someone from roster is traded. I think all of us want to see Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn succeed but I do like the fact they are not be rushed into NHL permanent action thus perhaps hurting their overall development.

• Luke says:

No injuries? Only if play in Mtl is absolutely atrocious or play in Hamilton is supoib.

• Eddie says:

Bergevin played about 20 years in the NHL (I’m too lazy to check the exact number sorry).

He knows how to scout defencemen.

And Therrien is in no mood to watch rookie mistakes on defence.

What he calls “protecting” players, is actually just a lack of tolerance for bad mistakes.

Therrien is emotionally charged with a short fuse.

Beaulieu and Tinordi will get more slack in Hamilton, more playing time, and more responsibility. They are better off there. I’m glad they are there.

13. RAM_TOUGH says:

Don’t take much to ruffle the feathers of the HIO Clan eh!

Not once did I insult any of the Members in here. You all need to grow up!

Guts-Glory-Ram

14. punkster says:

Man, I hope the Habs don’t win with this new line up tomorrow night or we’re all going to look like idiots…

…no…wait!

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

15. RAM_TOUGH says:

The Montreal Canadiens made up of 85% Pansies!

Guts-Glory-Ram

16. Bozo McBozo says:

Just got in from work. Are they losing yet?

17. JM says:

Bournival is a 1st liner with Pleks and Gallagher. MT is like JM thick as a brick when it comes to putting lines together.
    2nd line should be: Galchenyuk, Eller and Bourque
    3rd line: Pacioretty, Briere and Gionta
    4th line: Moen, White and prust

• Steeltown Hab says:

I msg’ed these exact lines to my friend today. Why Prust instead of Bourque like that’s so illogical.

I love Bournival – Plek – Gallagher

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

18. jols101 says:

Some people posting about Max talking about Gally, where is this coming from? Does anyone have a link? I’m sure Max didn’t mean anything negative in what he said.

19. DipsyDoodler says:

I just watched 10 min of ANA-PIT, arguably two of the best teams in the league (although the Pens are only 2 points ahead of us).

The NHL has a real problem.

This is about as dull a sport as there is. The entire 10 min was spent on the boards, just guys trying to dig out the puck, push it ahead, check each other etc … Even Sid spent almost all his time on ice facing the boards 18 inches from his face.

There were a few shots from the point, blocked by the mass of players in front of the net.

Every play gets broken up or leads nowhere.

I know why I only ever watch the Habs.

Has anyone here watched an NHL game to completion when the Habs weren’t playing?

• Un Canadien errant says:

In the eighties, when the Oilers were playing the Flames, the late HNIC game was almost more fun to watch than the early Canadiens game, I’d watch as long as I could until I fell asleep.

Nowadays, there are way too few games that are enjoyable to watch, if I watch a Canucks game beginning to end, it’s only because I”m with friends and we’re having a beer. And at the pub. Which means I’m not solely focused on the game anyway.

Meanwhile, Gary Bettman is making ice in L.A., and is letting the General Managers (Paul Holmgren, Brian Burke’s spawn, …) decide on rule changes to curb violence and make it more enjoyable for the fans, and on Colon Campbell to ensure that his talentless goonish son can maintain a career.

I agree with your assessment, I have watched other games, but not often start to finish like I do with the Habs.

To me there is simply way to much contact allowed away from the puck. Interference could be called on virtually every shift. Players are far more concerned with playing physical than playing the puck, and this is what is being coached.

• Habilis says:

I have. Many, many times. That being said, I don’t watch entire games involving other teams this early in the season very often.

Give it a few months. Once the season hits the 3/5 mark, that’s when you start seeing high quality hockey night in and night out.

And if you don’t watch the playoffs, Habs or not, then you’re just not a hockey fan. Best hockey on the planet, outside of the Olympics.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Outside of the Olympics says it all.

Watching Monday night football now. Don’t care who wins but it’s entertaining.

• Habilis says:

Yeah but the Olympics are too rare and too short. Great hockey, no doubt, but it’s not really fair to compare it to anything else. It’s in a class of it’s own.

To each his own, and I enjoy the NFL as well. But I’d watch an NHL playoff game (even without the Habs) over the Superbowl if I was forced to pick.

Hockey is just better, IMHO.

20. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m not thrilled with Therrien but the guy can only do so much with the roster he has to work with. I think all he has is a group of 2nd, 3rd and 4th line players.

If you were to put Moen-White-Prust together, and leave them together, you’d have three guys that play that 10-12 minutes that everyone raves about from the 4th line.

Looking up after that, they’re all 2nd or 3rd liners! Galchenyuk and Gallagher may one day be 1st line guys, probably will, but the rest of them are all 2nd or 3rd line guys.

On top of it, half of them are smallish 2nd liners.

Bergevin needs to make a huge offer to another team for a big 1st line player and possibly a big 3rd liner. Unfortunately it’s very tough to do.

21. Un Canadien errant says:

Good to see Charles Hudon having success in this game, his season wasn’t going as well as I’d hoped, this being his second after his draft. He should be dominant as a 19 year old, not just good-to-excellent.

Hopefully this will assure his spot on the Canadian squad for the W.J.C.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

22. RAM_TOUGH says:

Max just said Gally get his nose dirty might help? Heaven forbid he had to use his size. What a Douche!

Guts-Glory-Ram

• Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t know you, but unless you’re a pediatric thoracic surgeon for Médecins Sans Frontières, you’ve got a lot of nerve calling Max Pacioretty names.

• RAM_TOUGH says:

Oh well.

Max has nerve to say that about Gally!

Guts-Glory-Ram

• Un Canadien errant says:

And your reading comprehension is nothing to brag about either. In no way is it as developed as your sense of outrage and your rant reflex.

Go back to the original source material, read it from beginning to end, understand how humble, decent Max Pacioretty was actually praising Brendan and saying he should pattern his game after his, then come back and apologize to him, and to all of us for wasting our time with your unfounded diatribes and mushy logic for the last couple weeks.

• RAM_TOUGH says:

And how many Pulitzer’s have you won Sir? I tell it like I see it. If you don’t care for my comments don’t reply to them!

Guts-Glory-Ram

• Un Canadien errant says:

Put down the remotes and the game controllers and go see your optometrist, because you don’t see very clearly. When you can read properly, inform yourself, find your error, admit it, and apologize to Max.

23. RAM_TOUGH says:

Guts-Glory-Ram

24. frontenac1 says:

Hudon again!

Wow, Drouin is amazing compared to everyone else on ice, Hudon with the good finish.

26. CH Marshall says:

too bad we couldn’t draft Mantha

27. habs001 says:

No doubt that Bournival has played well but it is way too early to predict future success for him..He has scored on most of his scoring chances and he does not create that many scoring opportunities…

28. db says:

Sadly we can’t score goals so our grit must sit. Not sure about Bouillon but Murray is decent insurance…

29. habbernack says:

We wll not make the playoffs. Mt is still a lousy coach

30. Shane1313 says:

How Bouillon gets a spot over Murray, I have no idea.
    Bouillon sould sit, he’s minus all season. Murray is slow but brings exactly what we need. We are way to soft when it comes to clearing the crease. Obviously we haven’t been physical enough for a while

31. jols101 says:

Ha. Great Nail Yakupov commercial. Not sure what the product is though.

Timmins in the house watching the game , apparantly Dudley and MB as well.

Hudon with the goal! Canada up 1-0

34. Mr. Biter says:

Just wondering as everyone seems to want to try new line combo’s but keep the EGG (Hate the name),so why do we want to change the PK as it is one of our bright spots so far.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

• habby46 says:

It seems to me that P.K.’s has been struggling with his defensive game recently. I think he needs to get out there and kill some penalties to shake off a bit of the rust. His confidence MAY be hurting as he hasn’t really been himself on the ice in the last few weeks, in my eyes anyway.

35. billylove says:

Although I haven’t crunched the numbers, mathematically, there must be thousands of different line possibilities so “shaking” up the lines could prove to be quite the experiment. Could last for the rest of the year, maybe longer. Shake away!

36. dano58 says:

We all want to be GM for a day and have the answers me included. I only hope common sense with our GM /MB does prevail and he trades a few parts for draft pics. DD Gionta Georges Breire Murray We won’t be that lucky but we can dream. Frankie I just want to retire and maybe work for us. Love his heart and willingness but MT has a love child thing going on with him. Someone needs to give MT a Valium so he can relax during games. Why else would he get out coached on line changes on home ice like he does except he gets lost in the moment. His penchant for vets will kill this team when he says publicly that ice time is earned then hoses Bournival on a regular basis just like he does all the kids. Yes they need time and experience but on the job watching is not experience. Glad Tinordi,Beaulieu, and Pateryn went back to get more ice time but wish we had a better coach in Hamilton for them and our forwards. My wishes will not come true so I should relax and continue to pray for more years because this could get ugly if someone doesn’t stop our train wreck. Bournival getting less time than 3/4 of forwards with more points per minute that most of them.
    GO HABS GO!!!

“Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reasons” (unknown)

“The excitement of the fans in Montreal,especially in the playoffs,I don’t think you can get that anywhere else. For a hockey player,I kind of wish everyone could go through that and experience what it is to play there. It’s very unique.” Saku Koivu

• PeterD says:

Well said Danno, but I don’t think there is any hope of MB trading Briere for picks…but I would include Markov for picks.
      My guess is to the right team at deadline we could get ar least a 1st round pick for each of Gionta and Markov.
      That would be pretty sweet, as both guys are high cap hits for us and no guarantee that either would want to stay for the rebuild that obviously needs to happen.
      We could probably get a high 2nd rounder for Moen and maybe another 2nd for Bourque.
      End of season you let Boullion, Parros, and Murray walk.

• Bradzerker says:

“Rebuild that obviously needs to happen” …. did I miss something??? Price, Subban, Eller, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty. They are all potential all stars who are 25 or younger. Agreed, they need some additional parts, but c’mon man … a rebuild???

37. jols101 says:

Looks like Samuel Morin hasn’t stopped growing. He looks even bigger then at the draft. Boy, I wish Bergevin had been successful in trading up to get him.

38. Danno says:

On RDS, why do they say “Les Pingouins” de Pittsburgh but not “Les Feuilles d’Erable” de Toronto?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

39. CH Marshall says:

Zachary Fucale backstopping the QMJHL team vs the Russian super team right now on Sportsnet.

Yikes is this the best singer they could find for the Russian anthem?

41. Alvin says:

Patches said this about Gallagher !!???…………”Gallagher) can dig out pucks and maybe get his nose dirty. He might help us out, but we all have to take a look in the mirror and we all have to play better.”…

Only proves that Patches has been asleep since this season started.

Duh Mr Max….in case you hadn’t noticed Brendan Gallagher has been minimum one hundred times better than you have been this season and maybe,if you want to check to see whose nose is dirty it sure as shooting ain’t yours.

Fkg guy.!
    What a goof !!

• PeterD says:

Thats disappointing to see that comment from Max…if he had just one of Gallagher gonads he would be one hundred percent more effective.
      But he’ll just wait for Gally11 to go get dirty and beaten up while coasts around the perimeter looking for loose pucks.A bad comment from a player not currently contributing like he is capable.

• Rad says:

Pacioretty, at 6’2″, 219 lbs. is another one of those guys, like Rene Bourque, that has the size to play tough, but prefers to let others, like Brendan Gallagher at 178 lbs., do all the dirty work. Boone was saying in one of his blogs he doesn’t know if Max is a true power forward or not. Seems to me that Patch thinks he’s more of a finesse player. Patch and Bourque are our 2 biggest wingers after Parros, but you’d never know it from the way they play the game. Too bad.

So how ’bout them Bears?

43. habbernack says:

MB signings..Parros 1.5 mil
    Briere…4.0 mil
    DD…3.5mil
    A grand total of what 6 pts
    I’m beginning to wonder if MB is the guy to lead us to the promised land.

• JohninTruro says:

Parros $937,500 and we traded a 7th rounder for him, we didn’t sign him.

Do you mean Murray?

• chfan4life says:

MB has no track record as a GM because has none. He was only an assistant GM when he was with the Hawks. His moves have been questionable so far. He gets a passing grade for now but his act is wearing thin as many of his moves contradict his overall plan.

44. Mr. Biter says:

Just went to The Green Bay Packer Official blog site and all you have to do is change HIO to that name and you get the same type of posters only they’re blaming the defense for their woes. Both teams have such devoted hard core fans.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

45. Tomi says:

Photo Caption from above:

Michael Therrien: “Danny, are you sure this paper is what you say it is”?

Daniel Briere: “First of all my name is Daniel, not Danny. And yes I am telling you I found this in the training room next to the slide and the monkey bars. It’s Jacques Martin’s notepad. Look at these line combinations. 13-21-11, 14-46-57…..”

Michael Therrien: “You idiot Daniel! That’s Jacques’ old Sudoku pad! Did you really think he was taking notes about the game behind the bench?”

46. JohninTruro says:

Looking forward to watching Gregoire, Hudon, and Fucale tonight.

47. docketrocket says:

Let’s take it as a given that Therrien could get a lot more out of the team than he does. That said, Toe Blake could not take us to the cup in the next two years. We have a talent deficit.

There seems to be consensus that we have a great young core: Price, Subban, Gallagher, Galyenchuck, Eller, Bournival, Emelin. Let’s keep them.

There also seems to be general consensus that our vets are not going to take us very far.

Probably the best of the vets are Pleks and Markov. By the time we are cup ready, they will have retired. They should be traded now if we get a decent offer that helps for the future. Not because they are not good players and wonderful loyal Habs, but because they are good players that someone else might want. We need to fix the prospect pipeline. It will probably cost us a chance at a first round playoff loss this year.

Max is on the bubble. He might become better and someone else might gamble on that. He might not. Depends on the offer. Diaz might interest someone.

After them, who do we have that anyone would want? I don’t see anyone offering us anyone for the following players or their contracts: Parros, White, Boullion, Murray, Desharnais, Gionta, Bourke, Moen, Briere. I don’t have anything against any of them – they try but they just are not playing well, not earning their money, and not likely to do so. We can run them down, but therapeutic as that may be it does not help. How do we replace them?

The logical solution with that group of under-achievers is to replace them with prospects. Alas, and here is what we do not talk enough about, it seems we have no prospects that are any better, at least not yet. Beaulieu is a great prospect. Tinordi should be Ok. Next year. LL is no worse than our vets, but he is not better, and he shows little sign he will be better. Too bad. He should have stayed at Harvard. Otherwise we have AHL lifers and hopes in the mist. This is our biggest issue.

What is a GM supposed to do in this situation? We have to figure out how to take advantage of our kids, and sooner rather than later. What should MB realistically do with the bad hand he was dealt, and his own bad draws?

• SlovakHab says:

How can you leave out Pacioretty from our core is beyond me.
      He has achieved more than the rest of your “core” except Subban and maybe Price.
      Or having scored 33 goals in a season is not good enough for you?
      Last season 39 points in 44 games. Not a core player because he is having a tough start this year?

Some Habs fans……

• docketrocket says:

Fair comment. He could be great. Or not. I am feeling risk adverse and would take advantage of a trader who feels like you do, but I admit it could backfire.

• A. Berke says:

SH
        If you go by the stats, yes you’ll be right about Max, however since sometime last season his game has changed completely, i.e. he has become strictly a perimeter guy despite his size and the teams and fans expectations of him. Accordingly, his production now sucks and I also can not see any improvements in the future (unless he makes drastic changes in his current style of play but that appears unlikely).

From that perspective, IMHO it would be better for the team to try to trade him while he’s worth for a 1st or a 2nd rounder (or maybe a 2nd & 3rd or something like that).
        The past is the past and not the future the way I see it.

Ali B.

• SlovakHab says:

Pacioretty is still one of our best forwards, and great at driving the play and puck possession.
          He has one of the best shots on the team, has size and hockey sense.
          And you would trade this type of player for picks??

I just don’t get it….

• montreal ace says:

Very good post Docket, I think MB is doing what you are suggesting in someways. I think he wants to use the kids but they just don’t have the work experience at the moment. There will be big changes in the new year

• chfan4life says:

Good points doc. I think MB is giving the team another 20 games to prove to him that they can make the playoffs. If Habs stink out the joint and can’t mustard a winning record, then MB will pull the plug and start to rid vets with trade value. This will decide which way the organization will be going. A 2 to 3 year rebuilt or stick it out with the vets and hope the past draftees are ready which would result in only minor tweaking. Currently, no draftees are turning heads which does not bold well for the future. Habs have no superstar in the making. Chucky has the highest potential of being a very GOOD player. But I don’t see him with the same pedigree as a Malkin, Crosby, or Stamkos. Let just sit back if you can and enjoy the games because this could be the last time we see Plec, Markov, Moen, and Gio in a Habby uniform.

48. habstrinifan says:

@timo..

Timo November 18, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Therrien: “You know, we got vision with these lines and all that stuff…”

Wow. I don’t know about you but I believe he’s got vision… and stuff.
    ==============

Did Therrien have another vision?

WOW!

I know he had one at the start of training camp. That Brier and DD were gonna be Gretyky and Kurri.

49. habstrinifan says:

Wish I could see answers in the line combos as detailed by Stu Cowan.

Rene Bourque; Plekanec and Brian Gionta… been there done that without any longterm consistency.

David Desharnais with Max Pacioretty and Brendan Gallagher… most ineffective combination for Gallager since he got into the lineup. And didnt help Pacs and DD.

Daniel Briere with Michael Bournival and Travis Moen. While I think Bournival should be with Plekanec and Gionta, this may be the ‘best of the adjustments’. Dont be surprised if this line gets more ice-time as the game progresses. Bournival will excite Moen and together they wont let Briere disappear. I am calling ‘good surprise’ on this one.

Eller/Galchenyuk/Prust??? Is Prust really healthy? Why dismantle what HIO calls the EGG line… not sure about this one… but three players who also could gel.

Lars Eller with Alex Galchenyuk and Brandon Prust;; and Daniel Briere with Michael Bournival and Travis Moen. George Parros and Ryan White were the odd men out.

• chfan4life says:

Good insight

Bour-Plec-Gio: Was tried last season. Was good at times but became inconsistent and later dismantled due to injury to Bour

Patches-DD-Gally: Also tried last year with little success due to two smaller players on this line. Funny that Patches is the trigger guy while the other 2 the retrival guys when he is by far the biggest and strongest of them both.

Chucky-Eller-Prust: Might work as Prust could add some sand paper to this line but does Prust have the speed to keep up.

Bournival-Briere-Moen: I guess this is the 4th line. I can’t see them being that effective as the energy line. Only Moen is physical. They will be man handled if the other team has a bigger and more intimidating 4th line.

What happened to the traditional 2 scoring line, a checking line and a energy banging line. All I see is 4 watered down 3rd lines.

I disagree… I say that laffs’ identity has been pretty well established and documented.

51. VancouverHab says:

Read this article from the Vancouver station CKNW, change the names of the team to “Canadiens” and subsititude player & coach names for ours (except leave Yannick as is) and it’s uncanny how similar the situations are.

Except of course that Canuck fans are pretty docile about the who thing, relative to the anglophones here.

52. WindsorHab-10 says:

How about shaking up the team & firing Michel Therrien?
    That’s a real shake up that will get done sooner than later.

53. Habbergasted says:

OR
    Bournival – Plekanec – Gionta
    Pacioretty – Eller – Bourque
    Prust – Galchenyuk – Gallager
    Moen – Briere – White/Parros

Subban – Georges
    Markov – Emelin
    Diaz – Murray/Bouillon

54. Un Canadien errant says:

Very few comments and little analysis of the Canucks’ decision to put Yannick Weber on waivers. All I came across was this humourous blog post:

After a bit of hype when he was signed this July, that his right-handed slapshot might be what cures the ills of Vancouver’s powerplay, he fell off the radar rapidly after training camp. None of my buddies, who were curious about him and pumped me for information in September, even bothers to bring him up when they try to figure out how to fix the Canucks.

There was this quote from John Tortorella in the Vancouver Province:

“I like our back end, as far as the defencemen we have,” said Canucks head coach John Tortorella. “There wasn’t a spot, Alberts is sitting out. It’s tough but you have to make decisions. We used him at forward when we had injuries. I just don’t think he earned a spot and that’s why he’s not with us right now. I hope it works out for him.”

The real conversation out here is the lack of offence, how they’re losing all the one-goal games. The Sedin brothers have gone cold, they try too hard to break out of their slump, and make puzzling decisions. David Booth hasn’t responded to his AHL conditioning assignment stint (I think they recalled him too quickly, he should have stayed the full two weeks). They’re trying to push Zack Kassian on the first line with the Sedins, but he’s clearly not ready, and already there are rumblings from the fans (note to self: give Michael McCarron, Jakob de la Rose and Connor Crisp all the time they need to develop, don’t start calling for them to be brought up ‘as an experiment.’) They’re reminding each other that the return of Dale Weise won’t solve anything.

Another quote that may feel eerily familiar to Canadiens fans, from Roberto Luongo, about being run over during the game against the Stars:

“[Erik] Cole was trying to make a play and I’m not sure that was his intention but it was the second or third time in the game. It’s what we want to do to the other goalie — create havoc, get pucks there and a guy bangs it in.”

———————————————————————–

55. Bob_Sacamano says:

Therrien is such a genius. Yes, why not play your best RW and your best or second best LW on the third line with someone who´s not more than your fourth, fifth or sixth best center?

This is once again not just a new try to create offense. It´s first and foremost a chance for DD to pick up an assist. If you want to try Plekanec with Bourque and Gionta; Eller with Galchenyuk and Prust for a game or two, why not? But then ffs put Bournival between Pacioretty and Gallagher.

That young man has 9 points in 18 games getting less icetime per game than DD who has 1 point in 19 games. Either Bournival or Galchenyuk should be our third line center, not DD nor Briere. In the end Therrien and Bergevin also know that.

Everyone knows by now it that DD contract was a big mistake and the Briere signing too. Both was pretty stupid but we all make mistakes. Just admit it already and move on after one or two changes.

56. John Q Public says:

How about instead of being cranky with one another and the decisions of the coach we try an experiment.

For 5 minutes today or tomorrow close your eyes and think of DD setting up and scoring goals against the Wild. Positive reinforcement from the masses or the few that read these comments.

Worth a shot and doesn’t cost anything.

57. HabsFansince49 says:

I am convinced that Therrien doesn’t have a bloody clue what he is doing. Good photo on HIO of the coach playing X & O’s with another player whom I don’t recognize. Probably DD his favorite. What idiot would break up the only legitimate NHL line we have? The rest with the exception of Bournival are washed up, has beens.

58. Habfan17 says:

Her is a novel idea Mr. Therrien, leave the kid line alone, they have put up half of the goals. Let Bournival keep playing with Pleks and Gionta. Have Briere centre Patches and Prust, and then have Moen, White, and Dumont.

Put Emelin with PK, Markov with Pateryn, and Gorges with Diaz.

Habfan17

• habby46 says:

I was with you until Pateryn…

• New says:

I think MT figures Pac, DD, and Briere are hitting way below their expected averages while Pleks is just a bit below his and Eller on his. To him that means his team is weak down center with only one of four achieving expectations. He has to try and do something about that.

I think there is an old saying in hockey that if I’m not winning with you I can certainly lose without you. Guys like Moen give you the same thing every year. You buy them for what they bring and every now and then one of their few points is a big one. Guys who you count on to put up 50-60 points and don’t, well they are a liability.

I do not think the mood in management and ownership right now is to hold on to liabilities. Nor are they rash people. They will give players every opportunity to excel, fatten their batting averages, and earn a good contract either in Montreal or elsewhere. But I sense a shoe about to drop and when it does I wouldn’t be surprised to see the whole closet follow.

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

I’m not sure i agree with you a hundred percent on your police work, there, Habfan17..

I like Pateryn but not top 4.
      Markov is Habs #2 D, if mentoring Pateryn would be 3rd pair.
      Emelin only back one game – top pair – slow down a bit.
      Dumont is a call-up scrub similar to Blunden. We need goals.
      I don’t fret about size as much as some, but Diaz & Gorges?
      I understand sitting DD, but sitting Bourque?

• Habfan17 says:

Bourque was an oversight. I get your logic regarding Emelin. Having Markov separated from Subban would be better so other teams would not be able to get on them together. Pateryn is older and more mature, Having Markov on the 2nd o 3rd pair plus PP would keep his minutes in a more favourable number

Habfan17

• Un Canadien errant says:

I was just about to mention Bourque too. I generally like your lines, I also think we should have left Michaël Bournival on the Plekanec line, and not messed with the kid line. I guess the Coach is trying to make things happen, and that’s one of his few tricks; all coaches resort to line-shuffling, starting with Scotty Bowman when I was a kid.

59. DipsyDoodler says:

You might also like: Pacioretty out, Parros in for the Wild.

the software is smart enough to figure out that we’re playing the Wild next, but not smart enough not to link to an H I/O story about the last time we played them (3 weeks ago).

60. HabFab says:

HabsWorld Week in review plus takes a look at a contract for Diaz.

Non hockey related, but this is kind of funny, not sure when this was filmed. Please note this is rob ford related.

• HabFab says:

Actually had a tweeter account open today of one of the Stars reporters in the Council Chambers to monitor… what a circus!

People of Toronto would be foolish to reelection either one of those brothers.

EDIT – the video was done in the Council this afternoon. He did it on two separate occasions while one of the City Councillors was speaking.

• Luke says:

Y’know… Ford is going to come out of this fine. Well, he has a real opportunity to, at least.

With the way everyone (not the comedians, the politicos) are piling on, just trying to embarass him further, there’s going to be back lash and the commoners are going to side with Ford.

Rob Ford is going to become a sort of odd folk-hero.

And it’ll be because people grandstanding in council (Asking if he has ever bought drugs a week after he held a press conference stating he had).

“We” don’t like that… it’s starting to feel like Career politicians are picking on our drinking buddy… who may be an idiot… but he’s our idiot…

• CH Marshall says:

you just know he’s going to end up in Hollywood..

HAROLD, KUMAR, and ROB FORD GO TO WHITE CASTLE

62. spos080808 says:

MT is trying to so hard to put DD in a position to succeed and I get that. Putting him on the 4th line will do nothing for him. But with that being said, why is MT putting Briere in a position to fail on the 4th line with Moen and Bournival? It just does not make much sense. I highly doubt the plan when signing Briere to a 2 year deal was to have him on the 4th line with a rookie and Moen. Because that has success written all over it.

• avi says:

This is a joke. Bergevin should have seen the writing on the wall when the Habs began their free fall at the end of the regular season last year and their brutal performance against the Sens. THIS TEAM NEEDS TO GET BIGGER. Stop signing midgets like Desharnais. It’s despicable that Bergevin signed Briere just because he’s a Quebecois. Bourque (total passenger) must go as well as Gionta (too small and past his prime). We will suffer in the short run but become a contender in the long run.

• jols101 says:

When a player has 1 assist in 19 games you don’t give him the best wingers, top line minutes and 1st line PP duties. You give him a month long stint in the minors to build his confidence and re-capture some of the magic he had 2 years ago. If he goes to the minors with a good attitude and becomes a PPG player then you bring him back up and
      give him another chance.

Therrien has no merit based system when managing ice-time. Playing favorites will only cause resentment from other players who are actually contributing. He will lose the room soon if he hasn’t already.

• Habfan17 says:

Not to mention Bournival on the 4th line. The kid deserves better. He was making the Pleks, Gionta line click! So much for giving opportunity to those who shine!

Habfan17

63. mrhabby says:

Watch for the name Andre Tourigny to be the lastest hot shot coaching guy. He handles specialty teams for Roy and is an up and comer in the coaching ranks.

64. Grimmly says:

I think we have to all accept that MT has a man crush on Cube and Desharnais. The only reason our amazing Center Desharnais only sat 1 game and the Cube and his amazing -10 have not missed a game is cause they are french, there i went there.

65. jimmy shaker says:

Referring to the poll question……I don’t think he needs to be out there on the PK , but he does need to be on the ice 25minutes + per night.

Shaker out!

66. SteverenO says:

If my memory serves me correctly,the line of Pacioretty , Desharnais, and Gallagher played together quite frequently last season. In fact, they played a lot of time together as a forward line on the powerplay play unit, with little success.

I can understand Therrien’s hope that Gallagher’s “spunk” will help to get DD and Patches out of their offensive “funk”, however I, personally, feel that the move is ill-advised, has been done before, and is unlikely to produce any different results this time.

DD and Patches were at their most productive when playing with Erik Cole, so it would make more sense to add Prust on the right side of that trio. Where is the advantage of breaking up a line that is going well in the hopes of fixing one that is struggling?

It would seem to me that the better course of action is to leave the “EGGs” unscrambled, reunite Bournival with Plekanec and Gionta ( and make that the firstwave PP line), Play DD with Patches and Prust.
    and Briere with Moen and Bourque

The lines would then be:

Bournival, Plekanec, Gionta – (already had success this year)
    Galchenyuk, Eller, Gallagher- (already had success this year)
    Pacioretty. Desharnais, Prust (successful with Cole, why not Prust?)
    Bourque, Briere, Moen- A pretty good 4th line with offensive and defensive balance)
    Two replacement parts available (White,and Leblanc) if needed.

The way to “change things up ” when needed, is to keep the wingers together and mix and match the centermen. If DD and /or Briere’s line are not producing, you can interchange them with each other, or give a double shift to Plekanec and /or Eller from time to time, but keep rolling the 4 sets of wingers.

Makes too much sense……. so it probably will never happen.

regards,

Steve O.

Therrien: “You know, we got vision with these lines and all that stuff…”

Wow. I don’t know about you but I believe he’s got vision… and stuff.

68. habfaninottawa says:

Why is Bullion still in instead of Murray? Bullion is the worst +\- on the team and barely hits anyone anyone. At least Murray can hit, he can clear people from the crease, block shots. I like Frankie the bull but he’s becoming more of a liability than an asset

• Luke says:

Boullion does skate and handle the puck more proficiently than Murray. He is a comperable defender, and while he does not hit as hard, he certainly does not shy away from the physical game.

Umm. Murray is taller and heavier though…

(Edit: Worth noting that I am Pro-Murray, you just asked why… I came up with what MT may be thinking in choosing FB over DM).

• doc359 says:

+/- is a bad stat, but if you want to include it, Murray hasn’t been on for a goal for yet. He is really, REALLY bad. Last time I saw a good crease clear from him, it directly lead to a goal.

• Strummer says:

Yes he took out Budaj as well as the opposing forward

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• SlovakHab says:

Okay well first of all, Bouillon is -10 after 21 games while Murray is -5 after 9 games. Per game, Murray’s a more of liability.
      Secondly, Bouillon can play the puck.
      Third, Bouillon doesn’t try to injure own goalkeepers.
      Fourth, and the most importantly, Bouillon has actually been on the ice while Montreal scored a goal this season – something that can’t be said about Douglas Murray.

I don’t know about you, but if I have a player on my team that has never been on the ice while we scored a goal – I will damn make sure he will sit in the pressbox as long as possible.
      Emelin replaces him typologically anyway.

I propose DD centering Price and Budaj. I think this line hasn’t been tried yet to help DD.

• Say Ash says:

Murray and Gorges side by side in nets. They seem to enjoy blocking shots.

• Dr.Bob says:

The doctor is in. I know it’s only 20 games into a 82 game sched but if things don’t change quickly the Habs could find themselves outside looking in by the end of December when it comes to a playoff spot. It could bee too late by then . I hope I am wrong.

• Mattyleg says:

Hopefully we won’t be as badly injured as we have been.
        All the teams in the top tier of the league have suffered the fewest injuries, while the most injured have had the least success.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed that our mojo comes back!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mattyleg says:

I propose a race around the world.
      Last one back to the Desjardins Club has to buy two rounds of beers at the next game!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

70. AH says:

LOL! doesn’t the picture look like MT is totally dazed and confused over what the player is pointing out?

71. sweetmad says:

French men come from France,
    Let’s not have the same song and dance,
    They are Canadians in Quebec,
    They speak Quebecios, so what the heck,
    Is all the fuss about,I don’t know,
    I only want my team to show.

Someone wants MB to get on the phone,
    To change things around all alone,
    You know it takes two,to make that call,
    It’s a two way thing and that isn’t all,
    If there is anyone out there,who we can get,
    It would be done you can bet.

So many people wanting to sell the farm,
    This can do no good, only harm,
    If you sell the farm befor it reaches it’s peak,
    You are left with nothing else to eat,
    We need a future,we need our kids,
    Let them all go,we are on the skids.

So many people wanting, our players to change,
    To do some things out of their range,
    Don’t tell me this is how they should play,
    Can you do better any day,
    They want Patches to play real tough,
    He gets hurt when they play rough.

Perhaps us fans expect more than is fair,
    We don’t know the problems, we are not there,
    Every one wants Gallagher type of play,
    But players like him,don’t come around every day,
    Things will get better I know they will,
    We still have a team with speed and skill.
    (just as long as they start to use it)
    GO HABS GO
    Not my best effort even I have off times.