Habs shake up lines at practice

The Canadiens hit the ice Monday morning for practice in Brossard with a complete new set of lines as they prepare to face the Minnesota Wild Tuesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The new setup had Tomas Plekanec at centre with Rene Bourque and Brian Gionta; Lars Eller with Alex Galchenyuk and Brandon Prust; David Desharnais with Max Pacioretty and Brendan Gallagher; and Daniel Briere with Michael Bournival and Travis Moen. George Parros and Ryan White were the odd men out.

The defensive pairings at practice ended up having P.K. Subban with Andrei Markov; Josh Gorges with Alexei Emelin; and Francis Bouillon with Raphael Diaz. Douglas Murray was the seventh defenceman.

Coach Michel Therrien went back to some line combinations that were successful last season when the Canadiens ranked third in goals scored behind Pittsburgh and Chicago. This season, the Canadiens rank 21st in goals for with 2.43 a game and that number is shrinking. The Canadiens have 18 goals in their last 11 games, an average of 1.64.

“We liked what we saw last year with (Rene) Bourque, (Tomas) Plekanec and (Brian) Gionta,” Therrien said. “We didn’t get the start we were looking for from them, but we’ll see what they can do. And we have Brendan Gallagher with (David) Desharnais, who is competing, and so is Pacioretty. We believe it’s going to be good for our team.”

Said Pacioretty, who has only two goals this season: “We played most of last season together and we had some success. (Gallagher) can dig out pucks and maybe get his nose dirty. He might help us out, but we all have to take a look in the mirror and we all have to play better.”

Said Gallagher: “Things aren’t going well, so we have to make some changes. I’m familiar with what they can do.”

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Canadiens vs. Wild preview, NHL.com

Habs looking for offence, by Pat Hickey

Turning the tide, Canadiens.com

Words from the room (video), Canadiens.com

Desharnais weighed down by big contract, by Jack Todd

The Great Wall of Montreal, Canadiens.com

Remembering the 2003 Heritage Classic, NHL.com

Wild coming off win over Jets, minnesotawild.com

Sixth consecutive home win for Wild, Minneapolis Star Tribune

50 landmark hockey fights, SI.com

1. AH says:

Just on..so what did Timex do to deserve this punishment of linemates?, poor guy. Good ol’ MT still trying his “best” get Stumpy and Perimeter Max going I see. What’s next DD, Pacs and Price up front, then if that fails DD, Pacs and Budaj? LOL!

Re Timo being a coach. What, you think I can’t do any of the following?

– Pull line combo’s out of a hat
    – Give DD top line minutes
    – Motivate by using the F word
    – Be impressed with the effort in losing cause
    – Blame everything on Subban
    – Practice 5 on 0 drills

3. Luke says:

I’d like to thank Scrivens and Steen for giving me some anti-Leaf ammo so far this season.

Steen… for Stempniak.

Awesome.

‘atta boy Clarkson! Keep not scoring. At least we don’t pay DD 5.25 million… for the next 7 years.

4. scotland says:

mount royal….”6 points out at the quarter pole” is equivalent of 24 points out at seasons end. still impressed are you? and the habs are six points out having played alotta bad teams in the first quarter. still impresssed? they are on pace to score less goals than jaque martins teams did. still impressed? their best forwards are just outta high school. still impressed? they have four d that would not crack the line up on any contender in the league. still impressed? they have been playing poor, boring, uninspired hockey since last march” still impressed are you?

you sure your not a leaf fan?

• Mattyleg says:

I’m impressed with this post!
      Not a single capital letter!

And a total glossing-over of the fact that we were injured, which is a key element of mount royal’s argument! I’m very impressed with that!

I’m impressed with the fact that you don’t find Anaheim, San Jose, St. Louis, Minnesota, and Tampa Bay good teams! That takes some doing, scotland, me aul’ laddie!

I’m equally impressed that you’ve re-written history by ignoring how well we played in the first few games of the season, and that you have so miserably underestimated our defencemen!

All around: Very impressed.

(your = belonging to you; you’re = you are)

• ooder says:

um just going to mention that we lost to all those teams you mentioned except for Anaheim, and we were lucky to get a point against St-Louis…
        although we desereved the win against minny

• habcertain says:

every team endures injuries, if it wasn’t for some lights out goaltending, we would be at the bottom of the pack, the last ten, or so, games have been horrid hockey. all without caps.

• Mattyleg says:

Should really use capital letters.
          Helps the readin’.

All teams do have to endure injuries, but we’ve had it bad recently.
          It’s all about how we bounce back afterwards that counts!

• doc359 says:

Subban, Markov, Gorges, Emelin would be on an contending team. Diaz on most. We don’t have an amazing D corps, but we aren’t horrendous there. Those top-4 are just fine.

• habcertain says:

1 top 2, 2 top 4 (if u include Markov on mid-tier teams), maybe Emelin can crack top 4, but we will need to see how he progresses this year after the injury.

• ACEEAGLE says:

I agree with them playing uninspired hockey and believe a major line juggling is in order. Please take DD off Centre first and foremost.

Line 1. Patches. Eller. Gallagher
      Line 2. RB. Galchenuk. Bournival
      Line 3. DD. Pleks. Prust
      Line 4. Moen. Briere. Gionta

5. Maksimir says:

Desharnais just sent out a tweet – maybe we give him a break until after the Min game?

David Desharnais ‏@DavidDesha
    Merci à tous pour les encouragements, je peux vous promettre que les efforts individuels et collectifs sont présent pour retrouver le succès

• stevieray says:

translation … I got them by the short and curlies as they are payin ..oops ..GIVING..me 4 mill a year and MT and MB will stop at nothing to prove I’m a worthy of the $$$$$$…
      Give him a break …not likely
      If any thing I’d give Gallager a break for having to play on a line with 2 underachievers !

6. bwoar says:

No mention of Yannick Weber on waivers yet?

“thoroughbred”

7. scotland says:

boucher would be my pick. he should have been there instead of JM, but stevie y stole him away. in montreal hw owuld have two goalies. in tbay he had none. in montreal he would have a norris trophy winning dman (who he coached in hamilton) in tbay he had a nothing close to that.

in tbay he had a captain that was mailing it in. montreal has one of them.

anybody would be better than mt…..did not like him when he was here 10 years ago do not like him now. if he is the best man for the job of coaching the montreal canadiens………….then the coaching faternity is in horrible shope.

says here mb is already pretty sure who will replace mt. what he is unsure of is when to make the change.

• CH Marshall says:

I’m with ya on this one, I think Guy Boucher should be given a shot. With no goalie, and string bare D, he got the Bolts to the conference finals only to be outdone by the Bruins by 1 goal (I think). He knows Subban well and had him going in his defensive system, going to the Calder finals in his one year with the Dogs.

Think it was HabinBurlington who predicts Andre Tourigny as next head coach.. the guy currently D assistant to Roy

edit: my impression of the Bolts that playoff run was that they just kept coming in waves off super quick transitions. Would love to see the Habs like that

• Luke says:

In Tampa he had St.Louis and Stamkos… so that makes up, in part, for PK and Price.

But yah, I somewhat agree. To be honest, I don’t follow coaches closely enough to know who’s the next great one… I happen to think that coaches really don’t matter that much.

Your coach can come up with the greatest game plans ever and still lose. It’s up to the players to execute.
      (And the hopefully the opposing players don’t play excellent hockey against you).

Boucher is for sure worth a look. I like that someone else got to fire him first.
      Remember, statistics show that all Stanley Cup winning coaches have been fired.

• CH Marshall says:

maybe someone who has seen the Dogs play under Boucher can confirm this, but Im guessing Subban would have been the upper Dman in the 1-3-1 system, so he’d almost be in forward position and lots of skating around

• Luke says:

I would expect that… if he used the 1-3-1… since no other coach is using it, I imagine it didn’t the get the necessary results.

I think PK played in a powerplay set up like that on a World Junior team, did he not?

If they hire Boucher, they need to hire a white cat as well.

• slyCH says:

I don’t think Boucher would have used a 1-3-1 in Tampa with an adequate goal tending situation.

• plum says:

Was Scotty Bowman ever fired during his coaching career?

• frontenac1 says:

Le Tigre for Coach and Grapes as assistant.

8. mount royal says:

Let`s keep things in perspective. (I know , that`s impossible here and not as much fun as `catasrophizing`) At the quarter mark , the Habs are 3 points out of second place and 6 points out of first. This was accomplished by a team riddled with injuries.
    No team is running away from the pack. Parity rules! That means that everyone, including the Habs, are going to lose their fair share of games.
    There is a good possibility that things will get better now, so maybe its just a weeny bit early to be pushing the panic button. Let`s save all the massive trades and coach-firing and general manager blaming for the bad days, if and when they come.

9. Marcusman says:

I agree that our problem is we simply don;t score enough goals…the last two games have been extremely boring to watch….from one scrum to another……BORING…….

Also Therrien is classless….a big boss guy with a potty mouth, truly the do as I say type….not sure how that motivates grown men who make millions.

• CH Marshall says:

I think a reason why a guy like Mike Babcock is successful is because he understands that he is NOTHING without the players infront of him. Someone pointed out that a good coach should only fine tune with players, not try to make them something that they aren’t.. Which seems to be the case with MT sometimes, especially with Subban…

10. RAM_TOUGH says:

Mattyleg

What language do they speak in Quebec, Russian?

Everyone of your comments are top notch too eh!

Guts-Glory-Ram

11. Ali says:

It’s easy to second guess coaches, there’s 3 million of em in Montreal. But somethings are hard to explain, in a 1-0 game on Saturday why did Rene Bourque end up leading all forwards in ice time? Why did Chucky only play 14 mins? Gallagher was sick, okay, but if he’s in the lineup he has to play more than 11 minutes. Briere: 8:48, while DD, who has zero goals over what now amounts to close to half of a full season going back to last year, plays as much as Pleks. Boggles the mind.

White must be itching to get a chance in the shootout, on the off chance he scores Therrien might play him 18 minutes a game too…

• wjc says:

Questions: Did you know Bouque had most ice time before you looked it up.

Gallagher has been sick, so you wonder why his ice time was restricted.

Desharnais has played about 19 games this year, last year does not count. Just this year. He will get going or he will be bought out in off season. Why not try and get a 60 point man get his game back on a team that needs offense.

Briere coming off a concussion, will find his game, they need his offensive abilites as well.

This sight boggles the mind, where complaining is not a temporary condition, but a way of life.

Desharnais scores on the shoot out and gives Montreal the extra point and you ridicule him…..me oh my!

wjc

Okay it was asked a few times and no one responded, so here are my suggestions in no particular order for potential successors to MT.

Peter Laviollette – Has won a cup, not sure the Philly disaster was on him. His GM had turnstiles in his office that would give Mattyleg nightmares. Massive player turnover while in Philly.

Paul Maurice – No never mind can’t come up with a positive, but his name has a nice ring to it.

Timo – Would be awesome to “discuss” the results of the game with him online after the games. He would completely replace Boone’s About Last NIght with What About Timo.

Guy Boucher – Yes, I do know that there is a highlight of his Tampa team playing a dreadful and boring trap. Also remember his team had no goaltending and very weak defenceman along with a Captain who appeared to have long ago started mailing it in. I think he would be the best choice of the names I mentioned.

The Dude – I suspect by the end of the first practise Price would be actually treating him like a rodeo calf and chase him around the rink until he had him tied and beaten. This would be pure entertainment.

Guy Carboneau – Because his name always has to be brought up, and bowling is still a North American favourite winter sport.

• bwoar says:

I’d take Peter Laviolette in a heartbeat. No question he had a dog’s breakfast. But I think a lot of our trouble is on on General Manager right now, so, kinda frying pan to the fire in that case for PL.

“thoroughbred”

• Mattyleg says:

I’m not so sure about Laviolette.
        He won his cup on the backs of Cam Ward and Rod Brind’amour.
        Oh, and young Erik Cole and Ray Whitney.

• RAM_TOUGH says:

And What backs did Demieres win his Cup off of?

Guts-Glory-Ram

• bwoar says:

Eh, we have Price, the EGG line, and er… Plekanec? Gionta? I dunno. I think he’s a better NHL coach than Therrien, hands down.

“thoroughbred”

• BrianSkrudland says:

Most coaches have won Cups due to great performances from players, no?

————
          Daily recommendations for November 18
          Song of the Day: American Woman (BTO)
          Movie of the Day: The Truman Show

• RAM_TOUGH says:

Scotty Bowman!

Guts-Glory-Ram

• Mattyleg says:

True, Bri, but PL’s one of the few who haven’t had consistency outside of those great individual performances.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

@Matty? Don’t really follow your critique of PL. Took a Flyers team to Cup final also his first year there. Then a couple of 2nd or 3rd round playoff years and then the disaster year last year.

Took Islanders to playoffs as well.

Seems to me you are looking to say he is bad, but I don’t follow the reasoning. As for stars being stars when they won the Cup, that is what every team in the league looks for, so that they can win Cup.

Eh, Burly.
            You’re right, bud.
            I didn’t really look it up.
            He’s just always annoyed me.
            Perhaps it’s because he’s good.
            Knee-jerk post.
            Truth is, if we hired him, I’d support him.

• Luke says:

Typical Montreal B…S….!

• wjc says:

Coaches always win off the players backs.

Montreal fans always like the coach, player they do not have. When they get him after 3 for 4 months he becomes doggy do do.

Bowman had a stacked team so they loved him.

Blake had a stacked team so they loved him.

Everybody else with the exception of Ruel has had to deal with a bigger league with a universal draft.

Hated Carboneau, Gainey, Gautier, Savard, Savard 2, Martin, Bergivin, Therien, and many more. Burns got fed up with second guessing and ran off to Toronto where he was fired, and then on to Boston where he was fired. Robinson said no thanks as did Lemaire, who put the ‘B’ in boring hockey.

wjc

• Eddie says:

I think Boucher would be outstanding.

• Walmyr says:

IMHO from those you listed Timo is the most underrated!
      Imagine DD, Danny Boy, Captain G, Franky B and Diaz being coach by him…

• twilighthours says:

Timo would lose the room in about 35 minutes.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Laviolette ran Carter and Richards out of Philly. They later went on to win a cup while his team went pretty much straight to the bottom.

My vote would be for Larry Robinson.

• Cal says:

Laviollette = The Temperance league. No thanks.
      Maurice= nice guy that never had a great team.
      Timo? sign him right effing now.
      Boucher- yes. As Timo’s assistant.
      The Dude- new goalie coach- he’ll tell Price to chill out.
      Carbonneau- just because we like beating dead horses.

13. bwoar says:

Hey, great news! We have a legit shot at leading the league in blocked shots this year!

Oh no wait…
    Blocked shot kings = hockey for losers

Since there’s no trades out there than can help us (hint: move a centre for a RW), I propose the coach has gotta go. He could be replaced with a cheese wheel and a pack of cut-rate cigars.

Actually, I like the status quo. The feeling of total helplessness and resignation to losing is taking the mystery out of the games, which in turn leads to time for other “activities.” Like smoking, and making cheese.

The way we’re going, we’ll have a lottery pick and a new coach for next year in the bargain, and if that only pleases half the crowd here, at least some broken records will have a new song to sing. O Happy day!

“thoroughbred”

14. Bill says:

I like to think that we are all just frustrated because we love the Habs, want them to win, and they don’t score any freakin’ goals.

So I don’t let the negativity get me too far down. It’s only the internet anyway.

• Luke says:

Word up, Bill!

If the Habs losing to the Rangers is the worst thing that happened to any of us this weekend, then we all had a pretty good weekend!

• Mattyleg says:

I’m frustrated because I wake up 3 times per night with my 3-week-old, my girlfriend spends large parts of the day tearing my head off, then bursting into tears, and I have had exactly ONE day off from work since the baby was born on Oct. 29.

Oh, and I managed to attend BOTH shutouts at the Bell Centre this year.

Other than that, things are going swimmingly; the entire McGill campus smells like barf because the vomit-fruit tree is dropping its bounty all over the sidewalk.

• bwoar says:

The negativity, much like the positivity, is all part of the fun.

“thoroughbred”

• Hear hear! Much better to go with cautious optimism. : )

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• HabbysBoy says:

All I want to see if Gionta and Plec broken up! Why do these two always have to play together? It hasn’t been working, so try something new. How good would this line look?

Pacioretty Plec Bournival

• HabbysBoy says:

Bergavin, lets get a sniper! Oilers have talked about moving Eberle or Yakapov, I know the latter hasn’t been proforming this year in his sophmore slump, but we know he has the skills. They need D and we have it to trade. Just a thought. Also right now I know the salary is high on Heatley but you could pick him up for a bag of pucks, if they can eat some of his salary he might not be a bad option either. I think a change of location would help him out. He has always been a preformer until he went to Minnissota. Thoughts?

15. donmarco says:

I have to at least attempt to get something productive done today, so signing out for now.

It’s just a game, folks. The world is full of real people hurting and this should be nothing more than a passionate distraction.

Chill, homies.

16. CH Marshall says:

still lots of time to make a push or tank… wins will be hard to come by right up to chrstmas

17. vegas says:

our problem seems so obvious yet coaching and management seem blind

it all has to do with the right side, both on offense and on defense

We only have 2 legit right wingers in Gallagher and Gionta, and we are forced to use Gionta on the tp6 becausewe have no other alternatives. They can shiffling as much as they want but putting players on their off wing whih they are not accustomed to won`t help

Same goes for defense, We have Subban and a bootm pairing Diaz
    Everyone else is a Lefty
    Emelin is much more compete as a lefty, he doesnt hit as much and as succesfully when he plays the right side
    The rest of our D-core is left handed and I havent seen one play well on the right side to date
    to top it off our 2 best prospects are lefties also

SO MB get on the horn and fix that right side or else we will be turning in circles for a while

18. PeterD says:

I love photo above…caption should be…Briere to MT…”Seriously coach for gods sake don’t put me with DD again…I think I feel the concussion symptoms coming on again”. ..lol

19. HABitat4humanity says:

Can we get more people to crash the net? Other than Gally, the goalie has little to no traffic. Get Parros or Borque hangout more in the dirty areas. Someone at least taller & stronger than Gally.

We also need to sit Franky & play Murray. Habs are getting out hit left & right. Its horrible to watch.

• The Jackal says:

I think these are points we can all agree on!

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Luke says:

Would love to see more net crashing. Or actually stopping at the net instead of the glide-by.

Would love to see more goal scoring, actually. I don’t care how they do it…

PS: DD should have been awarded a penalty shot on Saturday.

Second time this season he’s been hooked on a clear breakaway cancelling his shot out and no Penalty shot called.

• donmarco says:

I think we need Oggie Oglethorpe. If he isn’t in jail.

• PeterD says:

Not Parros…I want to see Max Pac use his size and hands in the crease. For a big strong guy he never seems interested in the dirty area in front of the net.
      I know, people will say he’s a shooter…but thats not working for him right now.
      Go to the net Pacthes and get dirty.

20. CHasman says:

We should be able to keep the kids on one line and come up with a second scoring line using our other nine forwards. I think a problem with our offence is that we need more support from the defence. MT has everyone playing with a defence first mind set that the only time we look dangerous is at the end of a game when we are losing and MT turns them loose. I do like Pacioretty with Deharnais though. They genuinely like each other and work well together. Will Gallagher spark them, who knows, and will it be at the cost of the EGG line. I’d like to see Prust with DD and Max, or maybe a hard worker with a little more skill like Bournival. But as someone else mentioned the new lines will probably be all changed in a period or two.

• Eddie says:

Amazing that they are breaking up the Kids because Gallagher is expected to jump start the veterans.

Gallagher is a model player. I agree.

What does that say about the veterans on this team?

• The Jackal says:

Good point Eddie.
        Gally is a spark plug and I think the team admires his style of play.
        It’s a bit sad that our vets don’t play with the fire he has, but that may just be their style. Max is a goal scorer but he is not a power forward, he is more of a perimeter guy. I think Cole was a good example for him that he followed, but that shit has sailed.
        Hopefully Gally does start those guys up.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

21. scotland says:

the jackal, lmao ! “out smoking crack with rob ford” ( ;

say it aint so “bashing pk again? …..what did mt say now?

22. DipsyDoodler says:

If you view hockey as a sport then yes, John Scott has no place in it.

But hockey as an entertainment?

What a good entertainment needs, just ask anyone from Shakespeare to Puccini to Ian Fleming, is a good villain.

And Scott makes a great villain. Not a smart villain like Richard III. Not a creep like Iago. He’s more of an oaf and really a victim of his own stupidity, – I’d say maybe MacBeth or maybe Jaws from the Bond movies?

Anyway I just enjoy the heck out of John Scott.

I really love his pre and post-game comments – like I’m not a meathead you know? I’m a hockey player. And why’s everyone always picking on me?

Here’s one for you.

List your favourite hockey villain and which stage or film villain they most remind you of.

A pair of tickets to the next Habs Stanley Cup parade for the best suggestion.

23. Habilis says:

MT at the beginning of the season: “Our motto is ‘No Excuses'”
    MT today: “We’ve lost the second most man-games due to injuries, waaaaaaa”

MT at the beginning of the season: “I have a vision for this team”
    MT today: “Here is a lottery ball, everybody take a number and that’s your line. Except mon petit DD, he’s always on line 1, obviously.”

This man has no idea what he’s doing. There’s a reason that the Pens fired him after a Cup final appearance. Nothing has changed, same old MT who is unwilling or unable to adapt.

• Mattyleg says:

Who should be our coach?

• bwoar says:

Somebody better? I think the crew here might post a suggestion or two.

“thoroughbred”

• Habilis says:

Roy, but that ship has obviously sailed.

Funny too, because the Habs have a history of hiring guys with no NHL experience. Then the one time we really should do it, we go with a retread. Ah well, hindsight and all that.

I’d take Guy Boucher in a heartbeat at this point. His NHL track record was so-so, but at least he’s a progressive coach, willing to adapt to his players rather than impose a system that doesn’t fit.

• The Jackal says:

Eh I think MT has done a decent job. I think firing him during this season would be a bad move and it sends the wrong message – that the organization has no patience and it may make MB look desperate.
          I say we ride it out and see how he does after MB has tinkered a bit more.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Mattyleg says:

I agree with The Jackal, and I agree with you, Habilis.
          Mind you, I don’t think that Boucher is necessarily the way forward.
          Hold on to MT, see how we finish up, and then figure it out in the summer.

• Habilis says:

I get that POV, and it’s pretty reasonable.

What I don’t get is what MT has done to deserve all this slack. Last season didn’t prove much to me. We rode a hot start to a division title, which was a product of the shortened season. The last third of the season was an utter free-fall, which MT could not fix. We weren’t even close to being competitive against the Sens, who really weren’t that good. Doesn’t that say something?

This season has been a cacophony of mismanagement to date. I have no interest is seeing 60 more games of the same. Especially not in what appears to be Carey Price’s best season yet.

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t think he’s getting slack.
            He’s certainly getting stick from many fans (especially on here) but he’s had to deal with an injury-ravaged team, and he’s managed to keep us in a decent position, all things considered. He did better this year than last year against Ottawa when we were in a similar situation.

Now, when we have to turn it around and get back to positive hockey, is when we’ll see what he’s made of. That’s why my jury’s still out on him.

24. scotland says:

LAUGH OUT LOUD !… change the lines up………………..my eight year old does that all the time on his video games.

mt has changed the lines game in game out. funny how not separating gionta and plekanic is law. written in stone. only the sedin twins spend more time on the same line. mt treats these guys like they are gretz and kurri, hull and oates, ……

i am passing on both games this week. not watching another game untill atleast one signifigant effort at change is made. i will tune into to see a change. i will not tune in to see what i saw in march, april, october, and november over and over and over.

toughest time in 42 years to be a hab fan.

25. The Jackal says:

WTF IS MT DOING/THINKING?
    I’m pretty sure he’s out there smoking crack with Rob Ford.
    I mean – shuffle lines? Bashing PK… AGAIN? Who hired this moron? He has produced ZERO results. And don’t tell me that “we won the division” last season, we skidded into first place after our defensive system collapsed due to injuries and a bad slump… which admittedly we would have broken out of in a full season but THAT DOESN’T MATTER!

Oh, and on the subject of that defensive break down, that moron MT addressed it by having the Habs play a more defensive game – JM 2.0! And don’t tell me that we “are on of the best teams in GAA and goal differential” cus that don’t mean squat. His stupid defensive scheme has cost us goals, and NO it is not because our scorers are struggling, it is all the coach’s fault!

Sigh…. oh god I still have to talk about MB! That tard that hired MT! Jesus. Just a political move to appease the PQ language police – no hockey sense in there at all. We’d be first in the league if he had hired Roy, I just know it. Then this frittata went on to sign Briere… Murray… PARROS?! Can’t he see that’s not what we need? Yeah, I’ve said we needed to get tougher, more NAG, and we need an enforcer – but those 2? And BRIERE?!?! OMFG! He should have gotten Konopka and Bordeleau!!!! I KNOW THEY WERE AVAILABLE!

Ugh…. but Briere… biggest blunder after that DD, and don’t get me started on him! He signed him cus he is good the playoffs… but we won’t make the playoffs cus we are rebuilding, so what gives?!?!? But DD… ArGH I HATE HIM!

DD.. he is such a f…
    ***Has heart attack*****
    DD-Call 911—-DD that f-
    ARGHH!!!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

26. RAM_TOUGH says:

The bottom line is, Montreal has to have a French Coach & some French players. Well the French coach sucks & was fired before & the French players suck as well. I know it is Montreal but those days are over. Hire the best coach for the job & players for the team.

Guts-Glory-Ram

• Mattyleg says:

This is ranked pretty highly on my ‘Worst Post Of The Year’ list.

Not only does it misuse ‘French’ (which means ‘from France’), but it also uses the term ‘suck’ twice, while also managing to take shots at French-Canadians, and the players and management of our team without any kind of intelligent analysis.

This is top-drawer trolling, and for that, I commend you, Ram. You’ve had some pretty terrible posts on here since you became a member 3.5 weeks ago, but this one is your magnum opus.

Bravo!

• donmarco says:

I will counter that by nominating your reply as one of the best body slams I’ve seen in weeks. I wouldn’t expect a reply, though. He’s trying to look up magnum opus in the dictionary. PS – Ram, it’s not Magnum PI’s dog.

And RAM, keep your racist comments to yourself. You can’t be from here, otherwise you’d know just how ridiculous your comments are. You make me miss the PROFESSOR.

• Luke says:

Well, I think you are giving very little credit to the members here if you think this is the worst it’s going to get. You and I both know Timo can whip up something much better than this with little or no thought.

Additionally, this post says “bottom line” so, you know… Bottom Line. No more discussion needed.

I should note: If I cared to comment on it, I’d use French in this context as well. It’s always sort of been that way… from Grade school on… Now I don’t care about it, but yah, I’d call Danny Briere French if I felt the need to make a comment that has no bearing on the conversation.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

It’s not trolling Mattyleg…it is the truth in general. Montreal’s need to have a coach and GM communicate ( in French ) with the media in Quebec is front and center in many peoples eyes to the endless mediocrity of this franchise. Hopefully I haven’t made too many technical mistakes here but I agree that we fans deserve to have the best people for the jobs regardlessof their language. This is a problem going forward that the Montreal Canadians must come to grips with. Now you can go ahead and insult me all you want.

Heh heh.
          No insults.
          And I generally don’t insult people.
          You expressed yourself well.
          It’s not the above opinion I dislike, it’s the tone and the attitude and the laziness.

The ‘local’ element of the Montreal Canadiens is, for me as a Montrealer, almost more important than winning a Stanley Cup. Any ‘franchise’ (hate the McDonald’s terminology for my beloved Habs) can win the Cup. Only Montreal can carry on a local tradition.

I’m not saying that we always have to have French-speaking coaches or players, but I am glad that/when we do.

• Habspark says:

Admirable principles that in theory I share, but the problem is that the ‘local tradition’ has for twenty years – and is fast becoming – one of mediocrity. The Canadiens are owned by bonafide Montrealers and they are trying to encourage home grown talent; that’s good enough for me. The English hired a Swede to manage their soccer team; Chelsea FC have a Portugese manager; Scotland’s Rugby team is coached by a Kiwi etc., etc. It is a shame, but the rest of the world has moved on and to think anything else could be seen to be provincial. If we had 30 cups now, I like to think that we wouldn’t be bemoaning the fact that only Geoff Molson was Quebecois. As it is, the important thing is to restore the winning habits of this team and language should not be held up as a barrier.

• Habspark says:

Surely a coach’s job is first and foremost to communicate with his players and second to communicate with the media and fans? I can’t see why the players would feel it is so important to have a francophone coach, so why do we feel we should hold precedent over the guys on the ice trying to win a cup for this great city of ours?

• galchenyuk27 says:

What would be wrong about having a translater that can be MTs new job. Then we can have a real coach and the French community can steal make out what the coaches are saying.

27. donmarco says:

Positive thinkers must be absolute masochists to be here today.

People need to seriously chill.

All teams go through slumps, the season is never ending and it’s inevitable. We finally start to get the injured players back, and when they don’t score a hat trick in their first game back we should trade them for a bag of pucks. Would anybody here suggest trading Malkin or Giroux? They’re not scoring either.

And boy are the MT haters ever having fun. But what would you expect him to do? NOT shake up the lines? You do what you can do with what you got, and this is his team.

What makes it truly laughable is that this is almost exactly what everyone predicted about this team prior to the season starting. They’re better than some, not as good as others, and transitioning towards a younger, faster and bigger team. Transitions have bumps.

There are a lot of positive things to focus on if one chooses: Price’s play (and Budaj’s), PK, the resurgence of Markov, the growth of Eller, Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Bournival, the fearlessness of Prust, locking up Emelin, the number of prospects gaining experience in the minors. I could go on, but by now most of the people here have tuned out because I haven’t said how much DD and DB suck.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m as frustrated as anyone with the results of late, but life is far more fun to live by thinking of the silver linings, not the constant doom and gloom so many seem to revel in.
    Pathetic.

• RAM_TOUGH says:

MT got fIred for a reason the 1st time around in Montreal!

Guts-Glory-Ram

• Cal says:

There are a couple ways of looking at it. One is the Habs have what they have and go with that and not be successful. The second way is to clear the decks of all but the team’s core and move the youth from Hamilton up. It’s this half-assed rebuilding or not mode that has many here frustrated. As well as a coach who plays under-performing vets like they deserve the ice time night after night.

• donmarco says:

Ah, the tank approach. Tell me, when is the last time you ever saw an NHL team purposely tank? And by throwing inexperienced kids into the NHL before they’re ready, don’t you think that could possibly have a detrimental effect on their development? Minor leagues are where players develop, the NHL is where they are expected to perform. Beaulieu and Tinordi aren’t ready for 20-25 minutes a night at this level. Louis Leblanc and Gabriel Dumont are not long term solutions. We’re just not there yet.

• Cal says:

Pretending the Habs are competitive now isn’t good for the fans nor the team. It renders most vets into stopgaps who aren’t terribly interested in sacrificing their bodies because they know the team just isn’t good enough.

• silversnake says:

What’s sad is that the Canadiens haven’t won the cup in over 20 years, let alone made a significant push to the finals. We have dealt with mediocrity for way too long and people are frustrated, and they have every right to be.

Are we slowly trying to get back to the glory days… I think so. But Therrien is a simple doormat, everyone knows it. As soon as you start questioning him, he gets on the defensive side and lets his real colors show. His moves and line combination are puzzling. I love Prust, just as much as everyone else here, but when he’s on your top 2 lines, there’s a problem. Therrien is not all to blame, he is in fact working with what he has. He’s not trying to go for entertaining hockey , he’s just counting and hoping the Vets will be able to win for him. They want a youth movement but one of the bright young stars, Bournival, who was fantastic very early on was given the role to get DD started and when he failed to do so, he’s now gone invisible. Why is he not playing with Pleks anymore? What is he realistically going to do with 7 mins / game on the 4th line? The team and D need to bigger and stronger and we are hearing that we are trying to resign Diaz. Why exactly ? It’s not for his offense and it’s sure as hell not for his physicality. A serious package needs to be thought of and traded with a team, but I’m not so sure any team is that interested.

Therrien has favorites and he’s not even trying to hide it. His blatant and public criticism of PK is getting old. I’m all for tough love but a certain point when the media asks you if you would vouch for him for the Olympics and you say it’s not up to you, but then a few weeks later the same is asked about Price and you vouch for him, it doesn’t look good. Fans are worried because a superstar has been traded in the past and players like Subban don’t come often.

There are definitely positives and I agree with all the ones you highlighted, but those positives aren’t translating to wins right now and they can’t do it all. More then half is invisible most nights and it’s frustrating to watch because they are wearing the prestigious habs logo. What’s worst, is when you expect honest feedback from the coach, he doesn’t criticize and straight out spews BS. I’m sorry but when you manage to muster 20+ shots on Cam freaking Talbot and most of those weren’t even quality shots, and you go after the game and say that the effort is there, are you kidding me ?

I , like most habs fans, are fed up but still root for the team and hope that on the night they watch, it’s an entertaining game and gives some little glimmer of hope that we are on the right path for the future. Sadly, i’m now starting to sound like a broken record.

28. frontenac1 says:

Finally Diaz and Murray. Let”s see how this works.

29. Lil Snapper says:

MT mixes more lines than Keith Richards!

30. I don’t get the near two-to-one majority who want Subban on the PK. The things that make him great are not the same things that make penalty killers great: he excels at dangling, wrist and slapshots, puck protection, skating and offensive awareness. He’s an absolute all-star in the offensive zone, and maybe the best D in the league on the PP.

But he’s not better than average on the penalty kill — an area where a guy like Hal Gill can shine. A quick look at the stats — or at a game — will tell you that Subban’s defensive zone positioning is good but not great. He doesn’t seem to read the opposing offence as well as guys like Gorges, Markov and Diaz. And the proof is out there: without Subban, our PK is near the top of the league.

Subban should be playing 25-30 minutes a game, but let’s put those minutes where they can do us the most good: at even strength and on the power play. Save the defensive specialist minutes for the defensive specialists.

• krob1000 says:

The last thing I want is him blocking a ton of shots either…

• bwoar says:

I agree. If our PK unit wasn’t getting the job done, I could see throwing Subban out there, but right now it seems a bit silly.

“thoroughbred”

• slimjim111 says:

Totally agree… There seems to be an obsession with having him play all the time. I wouldnt want him blocking shots and risk of getting injured.. Plus correct me if im wrong but isnt it a sign of depth that you can kill penalties without your ‘top players’… ?

I think he or MT would get more crap from the media if he did play on the PK and got injured from a blocked shot or if he failed to clear in the zone or made a turnover which would lead to the opponent scoring.

• CHasman says:

I have to disagree with your opinion. PK is strong on the puck, can actually win a battle to gain possession and doesn’t panic with it when he gets it. In my opinion he’d be way better out there than a Diaz (who gets moved off the puck by a wisp of wind) or Frankie Boullion.

• The Jackal says:

Hey Cautious,

I agree with your general message re. PK, and I don’t think we should mess with our PK (special team) ATM. But I do think PK (player) needs to get some PK (special team) time in the future in order to fully round out and develop into an elite (he already is, but more so offensively) defender.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• boing007 says:

PK and Plekanec on the PK could be a good mix.

Richard R

31. SteverenO says:

How to create more offense;

Swithching pieces (line combos) while keeping your best powerplay unit OFF the ice with the man advantage is unlikely to help the team score more goals.

May I present an option that, at the least, has a chance to make a difference?

Murray has played 93 even strength minutes- team has scored zero goals; Production rate = zero

Bouillon has played 315 Even Strength Minutes team has scored 3 even strength goals- Production rate = 1 goal per 105 minutes.

*****************************************

Tinordi has played 60 even strength minutes- team has scored 2 even strength goals. Production rate = 1 goal per 30 minutes

Beaulieu has played 46 even strength minutes- team has scored 2 even strength goals. Production rate = 1 goal per 23 minutes

Rather obvious , isn’t it?

The only question is (should be) “would replacing the 6th defenseman with Beaulieu or Tinordi create a defensive deficiency”?

Let’s see:

Bouillon: 316 ES minutes. 13 GA- rate of one GA per 24 minutes.
    Murray: 93.5 ES minutes. 5 GA- rate of one GA per 19 minutes.

Tinordi: 61 ES minutes. 2 GA- rate of one GA per 31 minutes.
    Beaulieu: 47 ES minutes. ZERO GA- rate of GA per 47 minutes*

(Rate is not calculable as no goals have been scored when Beaulieu has been on the ice).

The solution is quite obvious, readily available and as close as Hamilton.

regards,

Steve O.

• Habs_101 says:

See my post below about adding the youth to our d core..

These are great stats to show that the possession caused by poor D is also key in creating our poor O stats.

I really really dont understand why Pateryn hasn’t been given a chance this season after being called up… he is Hamilton’s best D.

GO HABS GO!

• Hi Steve, love your stats and analysis as always.

This seems like a case of small sample sizes not being really all that representative, though. Tinordi has never been known as an offensive standout during his short career, and Tinordi and Beaulieu have combined for a single point and a +2 in 11 games this season. More than likely, they played protected minutes as well.

What’s more, in Hamilton so far, probably playing top-pairing minutes, they’ve combined for 5 points and a -11 through 21 man-games. And it bears mentioning that despite the issues with our veteran D-men, they’ve been a big part of the Habs’ 2.05 GA/G stat, good for 3rd in the league.

I believe strongly that stats have a huge place at the coach’s decision-making table. Frankly, I’d probably be sitting Bouillon and Murray at this point too, bringing up one of the kids, and looking at a trade to add some offence. But correlation and causation are notoriously hard to separate, and coupled with the fact that past performance is not necessarily an indicator of future results, there aren’t many no-brainer decisions.: )

• Habs_101 says:

I think its a good point about being cautious given the small sample size… however I think these stats show something a little different than what you are cautioning.

These stats dont show that the Tinordi and Beaulieu are out producing Murray and Boullion, they show that the other players on the ice are producing more when playing with Tinordi and Beaulieu rather than Murray and Cube. I think this is a great way to represent when Tinordi can offer the team, if we spend less time defending teams because we have the puck more often we are more likely to score or have our offensive guys create chances. While cube and murray are on the ice (while we may give up very few goals still) we do not have the puck as much as when the other two are on the ice, likely because we are defending.

Further, they DO NOT need to play together in Montreal and could certainly use sheltered minutes this season (like the gallys last year). I would call up Pateryn instead and let Beaulieu log big minutes all season in Hamilton.

GO HABS GO!

• DipsyDoodler says:

Thanks. Good reason for cautious optimism. I’d still like Tinordi and Beaulieu to get more knowledge and confidence in Hamilton before being called back.

• donmarco says:

You’re one season too early, but our D will look totally different next year. Both should stick, and if they don’t it’ a regression. The experience they’re getting in the AHL is invaluable and will pay dividends in he seasons to come.

I like reading your posts, keep them coming.

32. jamman says:

Just touching on Pacioretty. I think he’s gonna start sniping sooner rather than later. I noticed he wasn’t afraid of going in the corner and getting physical against the Rangers as he seemed hesitant to do so these past few weeks. Not to mention the jump he had in his stride. I think he’s back to 100%.

33. krob1000 says:

Great article on the struggling offensively challenged group.

34. munch17 says:

So DD is once again centering our two best wingers.
    All because he had a shoot-out goal?
    Saturday night he played 18 minutes and no points.
    Briere created more chances with 4th line duties.
    And BTW – his face-off % does not include all the times he gets tossed leaving a winger to lose the face-off.
    Mr. Mayor – stay out of it.
    MT has to show he’s boss now and DD will be getting more first line and PP time.

35. habsguru says:

is Desharnais like Diarrhea without the R?

36. Say Ash says:

Timo, who will Plekanec be shadowing tomorrow night?

37. DickandDanny says:

How many times have I seen this headline? And, how many times do the new lines get changed back mid-game when MT is impatient, because they are not working? When you only have 14 forwards to work with there are only so many combinations you can try. If this combination doesn’t work, then what is the next option, a trade possibly? I hope so, because no matter how you roll the dice with this bunch it’s going to come up ‘craps’. We absolutely have no ‘team’ identity right now. Are we a small fast team? Nope because our small guys aren’t that fast (Plekanec, Gionta, Desharnais out skate no one). Are we a big tough team who like to hit? Nope because our big guys refuse to hit (Bourque, Paciroetty), and Parros, White Murray all are regularly sitting out. So, what is our identity? A tight checking team who have a superstar goalie that keeps other teams from scoring, combined with a coach who is more defensive oriented than the hated Jacques Martin. That sounds about right and that does not equal offense. Until the D men are allowed to pinch inside the offensive zone (not just in the last 5 minutes when we need one or more goals) and the forward who is playing just inside the blue line as a third d-man is allowed to move down into the slot, we will not have much offensive success. So, yes go ahead MT and change your lines, but until we come up with an offensive identity first, then these guys couldn’t score walking down 20th Street in Saskatoon with $50 bills hanging out of their pockets.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

38. christophor says:

I like having 4 lines to roll with confidence, and that seems to be what the posted lineup allows. There’s a good chance that one or two of them will click on any given night.

• krob1000 says:

Any of those lines should have a distinct match up advantage if another team does play a 4th line or even the majority of 3rd lines. I think this is the way to go. There are workers on all lines. Prust looked really good last couple of games and looks like the guy who could play top 6 or 9 mintues and be effective creating space and havoc while also being there to get the kids backs. Dd gets his last shot with the teams two purest goalscorers and I think it will work.This is the closest thing to his Cole days witha guy who is a pure shooter and will wreak havic in front. This should open up space for Patches as well as dmen will proccupied with trying to rearrange Gallaghers face in front..I like this line a lot.

39. RAM_TOUGH says:

MT has lost his Fiffin mind!

Guts-Glory-Ram

40. Maksimir says:

Back to Europe?

Renaud Lavoie ‏@LavoieRenaud 2m
    Waivers: Weber, Yannick
    VAN

• Luke says:

If we pick him up, we can start making some brilliant trade proposals.

Truthfully: Maybe Carolina. Apprantly they are hurting on D and if they are considering trading for Liles at 3+million/season, it may be worth grabbing Weber for free, first.

41. scavanau says:

“David Desharnais with Max Pacioretty and Brendan Gallagher”

Why is Gallagher being punished?

42. Habs_101 says:

I really really think DIAZ is just too soft… and Murray is just too slow.

Diaz I honestly think has a place in the NHL but not on this team, we dont have the overall depth of D to make it with an undersized, un-exceptional offensive #5 dman. I think adding Patyern (WHO is playing great hockey for the bulldogs AND Tinordi back into the lineup is the way to go). I would keep Murray and Bouillon for depth until their contracts expire this season, and then let them go. In the meantime there are several teams who could use a player like Diaz, the Edmonton Oilers really come to mind…

Maybe diaz + prospect to EDM
    Boyd Gordon to MTL (would really help with depth at RW)

Subban (6′ 215) – Gorges (6’1″ 200)
    Markov (6′ 200) – Tinordi (6’6″ 225)
    Emelin (6’2″ 215) – Pateryn (6’2″ 215)
    Murray – Boullion

This pair a puck mover with a physical guy on each pairing and I really think Emelin-Pateryn could be a great all around pairing… Gorges and PK would play top lines, play markov w/ subban for pp and important O zone starts still. I realize we need to be better at scoring but the habs possession stats are way down this season, a big capable blue line would do a lot to solve this.

GO HABS GO!

• krob1000 says:

I would give Diaz Gorges role.

• Habs_101 says:

Gorges is more physical and a bigger player.

Not to mention the intangibles he brings, team guy that you need to have around.

GO HABS GO!

• krob1000 says:

Then have him anchor the third pairing

• Timo says:

When you say physical, you mean he gets hit more often or that he gets up after being hit more often? If Diaz ever got hit as many time and as hard as Gorges, he’d be spending most of the season in a hospital.

• Habs_101 says:

Gorges takes a lot of contact because he puts himself between the puck and the opposing team rather than trying to take the puck away… its a different style than Diaz obviously and might not be pretty all the time. He is certainly a team guy and effective at the defensive end of the ice.

Not to mention Gorges has 1g 3a while Diaz has 0g 7a… compare their offensive opportunities and help me understand why Diaz is such a great complementary offensive guy.
            GO HABS GO!

• CHasman says:

Totally agree on Diaz. He used to be better on offence but now he throws the puck away when anyone looks at him. The reality though, is that unless we split up PK and Markov on the pp we have no second unit D, so Diaz will remain a Habs defenceman until someone takes the job from him.

43. PrimeTime says:

A question to all the Terrien bashers….Who would you choose today to coach this team?? Anybody but MT is not an answer Timo. Who is available and why your choice? Provide a solution to your perceived problem.

• RAM_TOUGH says:

Not today. The Habs had the chance for a good coach before they Hired that fool MT!

Guts-Glory-Ram

• PrimeTime says:

A team goes into a slump and the fans want the coach fired….hmmm, Shocking! Oh btw, Habs have the 6th most points in the conference with 10 the past 10 games. Some slump!! They are and will be a 500 team this year. Accept it.

• Are you referring to Bob Hartley (6-11-3 with the Flames this year) or Marc Crawford (6-7-1-3 this year with Zug in the Swiss League). : )

• RAM_TOUGH says:

Yes I was cautious

Guts-Glory-Ram

• GrosBill says:

Why I cringed at the thought of Crawford coaching here:

◾# 74 – Canada — Theo FLEURY — saved
            ◾# 77 – Canada — Ray BOURQUE — saved
            ◾# 25 – Canada — Joe NIEUWENDYK — saved
            ◾# 88 – Canada — Eric LINDROS — saved off post
            ◾# 14 – Canada — Brendan SHANAHAN — saved

This is why I will always wonder about Crawford……He says he still gets asked about it to this day.

• donmarco says:

Your asked a valid question yet did not receive a single answer from any of them. What a surprise.

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

…funny, We win more than We lost with Tinordi and Beaulieu in the line-up, and we lose more than We win with Murray and Boullion in the line-up

…but Tinordi and Beaulieu need more ‘seasoning’ …and the Scottish Swede brick wall made of molasses man and BouBou are ‘seasoned’ pros ?

…yup, got it

45. Mattyleg says:

I like those lines.

• DickandDanny says:

Ok, I just want to know do you have a front office job in the Habs publicity department? Or, are you Patrice Brisebois, Jacques Aube, Rejean Houle, Donald Beauchamp, Kevin Gilmore, Clement Jodoin, Larry Carriere, or I bet you are Rick Dudley? Correct.

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

So I am wondering… Guys like Price, Subban, Markov, Plekanec have been with the Habs organization for a long time now. They have gone through several coaches, GMs, assistance coaches, trainers, etc. Do they wonder if this organization ever going to bring in competent management and coaching that will make this team a contender? Markov and Pleks seem to be fairly complacent in making their monies and just living out their days with the Habs. But guys like Price and Subban (and soon Eller, Gally and Gally), at least now, seem to be pretty pissed when the team loses. They do look like they want to win and they probably want to win now and not wait for yet another mangement group to put another rebuild plan in place.

How long before Price, Subban and the EGGs say F it, I am out of here? (I understand, they can’t necessarily just pick up and leave, but their play may start indicating so)

• Mattyleg says:

So you think that Plekanec and Markov don’t care whether the team wins or not.

You’ve deduced this from what, exactly? Their absence of angry tweets? The fact that they don’t smash their sticks off the crossbar after not properly covering their man resulting in a goal?

• Timo says:

I think they wouldn’t mind winning, but I think they are not super upset at the status quo. Is this too far fetched?

I would say so.

• kalevine says:

no, it looks that way to me, and you can add Gionta, Moen, and Briere to that list, ie-most of the veteran core. Those guys have all won cups, are getting older, and would rather stay in one piece till they retire. I’m not saying they couldn’t turn it around, but yes, I sense a lack of intensity in their play which could be for any number of reasons, but lack of motivation seems like a big one. Sure, everyone would love to win the Cup, but at what price? And looking at the team they have, why would they pay the price for such ridiculous odds?

• PrimeTime says:

The character of the players you list do not quit. They play for their teammates and the betterment of the team. Not all athletes are as selfish as some fans believe them to be. That perception says more of the fans character than that of the player. (no insult intended)

• RAM_TOUGH says:

They just have to go the MB & Say

“I WANT OUT OF MONTREAL NOW”!

Guts-Glory-Ram

47. Maksimir says:

Timo was right – doesn’t matter who they put in…

Arpon Basu ‏@ArponBasu 5m
    .@MAGodin @EricEngels As a team the #Habs are hitting the net on 48.3% of their shot attempts. Worst in the NHL.

• stephen says:

Wow, thanks for posting that, Maksimir.

Pretty telling stat.

It would be interesting to cross-reference that stat with their total shot attempts and where their shots are coming from.

• kalevine says:

that’s been a problem for a while. I remember the 2008 series against Philly, when Habswere favored. They couldn’t shoot straight, and it didn’t hjelp that they hit 2-3 posts a game

48. BrianSkrudland says:

This team lacks passion, save a few players. There aren’t many on this squad that display the balls-to-the-wall playing style that inspires confidence, courage and commitment amongst teammates.

Without question, it takes some serious cojones to put your body at risk of injury when blocking a shot, or, when making yourself vulnerable to take a big hit in order to make a play. Hab players have shown a willingness in most instances to sacrifice their bodies on those fronts. A noticeable and significant shortfall, however, is that the team lacks a presence in front of opposing nets. That’s where most goals are scored as we’ve all witnessed. Seems that the D is more willing than the forward group to step in front of a blast from the point.

I recognize that not every player has the intensity of Gallagher. At least bring something to the table in terms of jump and compete-level though, fellas. I’m looking at you Rene Bourque!

To me, Bourque is passionless. He makes Jacques Martin look like a radiant personality. Smile when you score; look pissy when you’re scored against…give us something that shows you are engaged and care about what’s happening on the ice. Bourque seems indifferent.

I’d like to see a swap of inconsistent players: Rene Bourque for Chris Stewart.

Bourque: 31 years old; 6 points; and, $3.3 million/year until he’s a UFA in 2016-17.

Stewart: 26 years old; 7 points; and, $4.15 million/year until he’s a UFA in 2015-16.

Stewart twice scored 28 goals in this league. He comes at a larger cap hit, but that expires in 2015-16. I’d take a run at him from St. Louis as a guy that can drop the gloves and play with more intensity than Bourque traditionally shows. Stewart is by no means a saviour, but I’d be happy to swap our inconsistent and underperforming player for what St. Louis has to offer in their player of similar status.

Anyway, that’s what I’m bringing to the table today. Enjoy your meal or send it back.

————
    Daily recommendations for November 18
    Song of the Day: American Woman (BTO)
    Movie of the Day: The Truman Show

• boing007 says:

One problem. Why would the Blues trade Stewart for crummy René Bourque? Send Bourque down to Hamilton and bring up Leblanc.

Richard R

• BrianSkrudland says:

St. Louis is in the hunt for the Cup and will likely need a little cushion in terms of cap space at the trade deadline, which this deal would provide. This is clearly wishful thinking and wannabe-GM plotting. I simply put the idea out there as something I felt would be a reasonable swap.

Stewart isn’t offering much more than Bourque, presently. I don’t suggest that this would be a season-altering deal, by any stretch.

I simply feel that Stewart could bring something different to the Habs and Bourque might benefit from a change of scenery in St. Louis. Not much risk to either team.

————
        Daily recommendations for November 18
        Song of the Day: American Woman (BTO)
        Movie of the Day: The Truman Show

49. DickandDanny says:

“A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur”

50. Ozmodiar says:

Pressbox –> shootout goal –> 19 minute game –> first line duties. Atta boy, DD!!

What happens when he scores in regulation?!? MT endorsement for Sochi?

I wonder what Briere thinks of all of this?

51. jedimyrmidon says:

This was pointed out on EOTP: Carey Price has a save pctg of 0.975 but ZERO wins this past week.

It’s frustrating to see the Habs not taking advantage of Carey’s superb play so far this season. I feel like it’s going to waste.

Btw, have they declared November 15 as a national holiday in Quebec yet?

53. Maksimir says:

Interesting…

Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin 3m
    @EricEngels Not only does Diaz record less than one shot a game but of all his shots attempts, only 21% hit the net.

• Timo says:

It is probably still better than DayHarNay.

• ooder says:

ugh.. thank you… all this Diaz is an offensive dman bs has really peeved me off.
      outside of a not bad first pass (when he is not being forechecked and avoiding hits) he has very little in terms of offense

• Luke says:

Not really… I mean, sort of, but it doesn’t really tell the story.

Why on 1 shot attapemt a game (that’s the interesting part, to me) is he being fed the puck in bad spots, or at bad times? Is he incapable of creating a shooting lane?
      Plus shots blocked, missed because there was no lane to shoot or was the pass a better option?

Like, is someone open for a cross seam one timer and diaz dishes… that sort iof thing.

But also I think this: MAN the team tries to pass too much. Especially in tight… As i said last week, they end up cancelling out chances to score because someone decides an extra back hand flip pass through traffic across the net is the better choice than shooting.

54. krob1000 says:

Is it Diaz/Bouillon or Diaz/Murray?

55. knob says:

White: hey coach, why do I get to sit again?
    MT: Desharnais has more points
    RW: He only has one point
    MT: yes but you play with grit and have a face-off percentage above 50%
    RW: What can I do to get in the line-up?
    MT: Change your last name to Blanc instead of White. Oh and be useless, that helps too.
    RW: Got it coach. I must say that you have great vision and you are able to completely set aside your biases for the benefit of the team!!

• wjc says:

The fact that Deharnais had a 60 point season and White has never even come close to that kind of production. So the conversation would be, lets get Desharnais going, that will help the Canadiens. A fight a push and scirmish is not as important as maybe getting a couple of players going.

French, English is not the issue, common sense is. Am I asking too much? Probably!

wjc

• knob says:

having guys like Desharnia and Bournival on the fourth line does not make sense. Stack your top three lines and give them the lions share of ice time. Once and a while you need a guy like White to take a defensive zone face-off or to get under the other teams skin a bit. I would think that the fourth line should only be playing 6-9 minutes a game so why waste an offensive player in that role?

• SteverenO says:

While it has been no secret that Desharnais has not produced any offense this year, surely you’re not claiming that White would make an upgrade in that department?

If not, what advantage does having White in the lineup bring to the team?
      Desharnais has played 258 minutes at even strength, 5 goals allowed White has played 140 even strength minutes, 7 goals allowed.

Desharnais has been better than White defensively, so I am not sure what improvement you hope to get by playing White in place of Desharnais.

regards,

Steve O.

• habsguru says:

DD has never been on a line with Parros

• SteverenO says:

even if you assume that all 5 goals and all 21 minutes of Parros ice time was with White on his line- and you deduct those minutes from his record; White still has allowed two goals on 120 minutes, arte of one goal allowed every 60 minutes close to the equivalent to Desharnais’ rate of one GA every 52 minutes.

regards,

Steve O.

• jackbutt says:

You really are a knob! Something tells me you don’t like the French!
      My guess is your 12years old or acting like one.

• knob says:

What I have a problem with is guys that semmingly get favoured and preferntial treatment. Desharnais should only be used as a top nine forward and in my opinion he is not currently amongst the top nine forwards on this team and accordingly he should sit.

56. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the only hope I see is the North Stars, or whatever they’re called, played in Minny or the ‘Peg last night

…let’s see if We take advantage of that, …or not

Zzzzzzz

…Gawd ! I need a Beans, Red Wings, ‘Hawks, or Weeds game something BAD :(

57. wjc says:

Am I the only one that thinks these lines are worth a shot?

Experimentation can work, lets wait before judgement.

Interested to see how it all works out, can’t be worse then Saturaday night.

wjc

• krob1000 says:

nope…been hoping for something like this since day one….still wish they would split PK.Markov but 4 lines is the way to go with the Habs lineup. (apologies..but Mcdonalds just sold another burger).

As I mentioned below, if we are going to dress both DD and DB i like these lines. I just would prefer we didn’t have both DD and DB in the lineup.

58. Sportfan says:

You guys see the funny stats about Rob Ford at the Argos game?

check the box at the bottom

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

59. krob1000 says:

I really like the direction he is going with these lines…not so much the d pairings but this is a step in the right direction. The 4 line approach is the best way to go right ow. Also having Dd with two pure shooters is a great idea as that is what he succeeded with in Patches and Cole (they were big and people gave the credit there but I think it was because he had two shooters and Cole was a net presence). I will bet Dd succeeds in this role. I also like Prust playing with Eller and Galch….he can allow Eller to be more aggressive and Purst is capable of being a contributor offensively in exactly this type of role IMO.

I wish the team would split Pk and Markov for the 30 billionth time ( I am trying to type that on here for every time Mcdonalds sells a hamburger so bear with me please).
    The 4 line approach si waht the team is built for and guys like and Prust are valuable because they can chip in occasionally offensively…stacking a 4th line full of grinders IMO is useless. If that is the case go get real heavyweights and dress them all ( I would hate to see that but if youa re going to have a 4th with no chance of offense at all) but Moen and Prust can both chip in with the right players.

As mentioned on the other thread another reason for changing lines up is because it forces players to play simple and get down to basics, get pucks deep, go to the net, be very aware away fromt he puck,etc.

I would prefer to see Diaz in the top 4 role over Gorges though…

60. Maksimir says:

ug. posted on last thread…

Why Diaz-Boullion pairing? They will be crushed. Put Murray in there! Fine he’s slow but Diaz should be able to make up for that.

61. mrhabby says:

If anybody really cares. Check out the Corsi and Fenwick websites and see where Murray currently ranks among Dmen.
    Iam not a stats guy but with Emelin back things can only get better with the defence and our overall record (maybe). Its clear Murray will only be playing when MT really needs him. He will be riding the press box pine for alot of games this year.

62. Richard B says:

More of the same shi# in my opinion.
    Why not give Plecks some wingers to play with?
    Let plecks have the two g’s of the egg.
    Let Eller play with Briere. He is supposed to be the scorer.
    I know everyone likes to suggest lines and its boring to read…but I’m going to do it none the less:

Tomas Plekanec at centre with Galchenyuk and Galagher
    Eller with Pacioretty and Briere
    Rene Bourque and Brian Gionta and Prust
    David Desharnais Michael Bournival and Travis Moen

With respect to the 4th line I don’t see any reason not to dress paros rather than DD or Moen…I don’t expect any production out of this line regardless.

Richard B

63. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I have nothing good or positive to say, so I won’t say it

64. bwoar says:

This is the dream lineup for the no-fighting crowd.

Every now and again it comes up that instead of dressing a proper energy/tough line, we should play 4 lines of skill and just roll with it. Well, here we are. The last resort. I hope I’m wrong and it results in 3 goals a game. At least we don’t play any tougher teams.

“thoroughbred”

• krob1000 says:

It isn’t a new idea…Wings have done it for years, Hawks, Bruins..all had 4th lines that could score and chip in offensively. All also had tougher playes playing in a at least one top nine role.

65. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

I am going to reserve judgement until the final buzzer tomorrow night. I would love it if every line gets points, but I’m not holding my breath. Call me quizzically optimistic.

Oh this is precious… another set of midget line combinations. Watch out Minnesota, Michael Therrien has shuffled the deck.

Mini might as well just forfeit now.

67. SterlingRod says:

I’d rather the team slump now than slump at the end like last year. Every team goes through it, every season. All will be well. Everything is going to beeee alriiiiight.

68. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

Joke!

69. slamtherimtim says:

yesterday or today were the best days to fire MT or have MB make a trade , neither happened , changing the lines is the last resor before T gets canned

70. habsguru says:

White and Parros are definately the blame for lack of goal production.

71. Sportfan says:

Bengals-Browns warp up check out what I had to say here!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

72. habsguru says:

nice shuffle, what happens to the grit? now Gally has to protect Pac and DD on top of carrying the team. brilliant.

If this team is going to dress DD and DB, then I can understand these lines. My preference is not to have DB and DD both playing, would prefer to see White centering 4th line.

74. habsguru says:

not as smart as the dog, D’oh

75. SmartDog says:

Just call me Alpha dog!

Yah, that’s what we need – new lines. Pfffttt…
    Therrien’s rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

76. Mattyleg says:

I wouldn’t call you English!

77. sweetmad says:

I com from England,half of what I say Canadians don’t understand,you don’t speak English here you speak Canadien,very like English but not the same.
    GO HABS GO

78. Bill says:

XX
    Full Breezer 4 Life

79. Cal says:

Hinglish, then? ;)

According to HI/O MT and MB are the worst coach and gm combination in the league. :)

81. mrhabby says:

I saw that…murray will be seeing the ice from the press box alot this year.

82. The Jackal says:

EOTP is kind of full of itself.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

83. Bill says:

You may speak English – although you can’t spell English apparently – but you aren’t English. You’re Canadian (I assume). This is not a hard concept to grasp at all. Stop pretending it is.

Full Breezer 4 Life

84. galchenyuk27 says:

americanese

85. Bill says:

Pistols at dawn, Habsolutely? I just want you to spell English with a capital E.

Full Breezer 4 Life

86. VancouverHab says:

“kind of”?

Amend to “entirely” and we are in complete agreement. I haven’t been there for a while, and I recall that they have some very good stuff there, but the site is run with very much a frat-boy culture (which is entirely their right) and that has an alienating effect on some potential visitors (such as me).

87. habcertain says:

is it much different here? most of these sites tend to drift towards groups that believe they have divine posting rights, just ignore the self-proclaimed elite.

88. Luke says:

Well, thats a very elitist thing to self proclaim.

89. habcertain says:

thank you, wanted to test the rarified air!

90. DipsyDoodler says:

I agree – there’s good stuff there (especially the stats) but they are a bit cliquey, as opposed to the more free-form Lord of the Flies vibe of this place.

91. stevieray says:

I hear he’s good in the room :)

92. VancouverHab says:

Absolutely: and he also doesn’t get the benefit of Therrien making him a better person, because Therrien already loves him.

93. Habbergasted says:

At least hes good in the shootout. ;)