Habs shake up lines at practice

The Canadiens hit the ice Monday morning for practice in Brossard with a complete new set of lines as they prepare to face the Minnesota Wild Tuesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The new setup had Tomas Plekanec at centre with Rene Bourque and Brian Gionta; Lars Eller with Alex Galchenyuk and Brandon Prust; David Desharnais with Max Pacioretty and Brendan Gallagher; and Daniel Briere with Michael Bournival and Travis Moen. George Parros and Ryan White were the odd men out.

The defensive pairings at practice ended up having P.K. Subban with Andrei Markov; Josh Gorges with Alexei Emelin; and Francis Bouillon with Raphael Diaz. Douglas Murray was the seventh defenceman.

Coach Michel Therrien went back to some line combinations that were successful last season when the Canadiens ranked third in goals scored behind Pittsburgh and Chicago. This season, the Canadiens rank 21st in goals for with 2.43 a game and that number is shrinking. The Canadiens have 18 goals in their last 11 games, an average of 1.64.

“We liked what we saw last year with (Rene) Bourque, (Tomas) Plekanec and (Brian) Gionta,” Therrien said. “We didn’t get the start we were looking for from them, but we’ll see what they can do. And we have Brendan Gallagher with (David) Desharnais, who is competing, and so is Pacioretty. We believe it’s going to be good for our team.”

Said Pacioretty, who has only two goals this season: “We played most of last season together and we had some success. (Gallagher) can dig out pucks and maybe get his nose dirty. He might help us out, but we all have to take a look in the mirror and we all have to play better.”

Said Gallagher: “Things aren’t going well, so we have to make some changes. I’m familiar with what they can do.”

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Canadiens vs. Wild preview, NHL.com

Habs looking for offence, by Pat Hickey

Turning the tide, Canadiens.com

Words from the room (video), Canadiens.com

Desharnais weighed down by big contract, by Jack Todd

The Great Wall of Montreal, Canadiens.com

Remembering the 2003 Heritage Classic, NHL.com

Wild coming off win over Jets, minnesotawild.com

Sixth consecutive home win for Wild, Minneapolis Star Tribune

50 landmark hockey fights, SI.com

1. B says:

I noticed that the Dogs released Akim Aliu last week. MacAulay is up from the Nailers and will play his first game for Hamilton tonight.

–Go Habs Go!–

2. monmick says:

Last!

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

3. The Cat says:

How could they not show The Cat hand Hextall his ass in the 50 fights thing? Has to be one of the most unexpected fight result of all time.

4. Bill says:

Blocking a lot of shots doesn’t correlate with winning. There are teams at all positions in the standings who block a lot of shots, and teams at all positions in the standings that don’t.

What I don’t like about the strategy is that it leads to wide open chances when a block attempt takes a Dman out of position, or a blocked shot bounces right to an open. And of course it causes deflected goals.

Therrien is doing the same thing JM did: getting a small, skilled team to play a defensive style that is not their forte.

That said his results have been okay. So what do I know? I’d just like to see the Habs score some goals.

• habstrinifan says:

Thank You! And I add the warning that Therrien (as he is NOW… he could change) is not only a bad coach but a destructive coach is because of the following reasons.

JM was no ‘favourite’ of RDS…. Therrien is.. he has the ‘power’ now.
      Therrien has a ‘bully, uncouth’ approach that JM did not have. JM was a civilized if weak leader.
      JM had ‘favourites’ for ice time(he was a veteran’s coach..plain and simple) but he did not drive wedges between individuals. JM was uncommunicative. Therrien is very communicative and chooses his targets for scorn and derision publicly.

I could go on but these are enough.

5. Phil C says:

GSP is medically suspended for 45 days due to a concussion in a fight he won. Parros was out cold, but was allowed to play again in 30 days. Makes sense right?

6. bwoar says:

[moved to new thread]

• shiram says:

Well this season is not as dire as that one was, I have not checked the stats, but it at least feels this way to me.
      I’m glad Max spoke up, even if it’s a little controversy to say these kind of things.

No pint for you, Luke.

8. Mattyleg says:

So I wonder what the time-frame is looking like for Parros.

I’d like to see him in the lineup more regularly, and playing well, but there are two issues: who do you sit for him, and will he be ready to play hard and smart?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• frontenac1 says:

Sit DD. What’s the diff? Maybe “Stache is still hearing tweety-birds? Who knows?

I wonder if he is sitting more for health reasons right now.

• Luke says:

I thought Columbus was his shot. It seemed like a perfect game for him, so perhaps there is still something lingering. I’d expect they wouldn’t say he was healthy scratch if that was the case.

I guess we’ll see him when the other goons are out and about (Bos/Tor/Buff etc).

@Front – What’s the Diff between he or DD playing? DD can at least be used in the shootout.

• knob says:

Parros should only play if MT uses him wisely
      (6 mins a game tops). I think that Parros does bring a good element to the team but yes, who do you sit? My vote would go to the “skilled” forward who is struggling the most at any given time.

9. habsfan0 says:

Another measuring stick game for the Habs tonight.
    They must be close to setting a team record in this regard.

10. frontenac1 says:

Thanks HIO for linking the “SI 50 Landmark Fights” Very enjoyable viewing. Glad the Habs/Flyers 1987 Brawl made #1! Saludos!

Someone asked this question on RDS forum: “Does anyone find it normal that Therrien is using young players in their sophomore season to try get the veterans going? Is that how it should be?”

• Luke says:

Actually, this is a brutal question.

To be honest, many of the ‘tough questions’ people want asked around here are rather pathetic attempts to sound clever, or to lead to a desired answer. Which is rather juvenile 1st year (maybe highschool) journalism stuff.

It’s fluff. It’s not even quality warm fluff from the drier. It’s under the bed, mid winter fluff.

Here’s the brilliant RDS comment you posted re-worded to answer brainiac’s own run-on question:

“Does anyone find it normal that, in an attempt to get a line-up who’s offense has completely dried up going again, Therrien has resorted to scratching the least offensive players he has, while trying combinations to see if a different mix of players will lead to different results? Is that what he should do?”

• Mattyleg says:

The two best vets on the team, Pleks and Gio don’t need anyone’s help to get going. They are always on.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. Sportfan says:

I’m am so fed up with Bouillon I rather Murray out there, I really do. It would be nice to Emelin and Murray do their jobs and they are much bigger! If its an issue of have the useless cube on the PP let Emelin do it then. Ugh MT annoys me sometimes.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

13. Grimmly says:

@JohnLuTSNMtl: #Habs optional skate finished, Murray and Parros sitting tonight. Galchenyuk staying out late with the scratches working on his wrist shot.

Changes up the lines, just not the lineup, since they where so good last game.

14. SterlingRod says:

The team mantra/motto is Pas D’Excuses/No Excuses.

I’m hearing a lot of excuses all of sudden. Not good, fellas.

15. habs-hampton says:

MT can shuffle the deck all he likes, but if he really wants to improve the offense, TAKE THE LEASH OFF PK!

16. shiram says:

Hard to be excited for tonight’s game considering the bore-fest the Habs have been over the last few games.

I can take losses, but at least play some inspired/energetic hockey… Compete!

17. duffy says:

They need to get some new players to insert in those lines they are shaking up. At the moment they are a one line team.!!!

18. DipsyDoodler says:

Serious question.

Should they just abolish the AHL and have those kids go to college instead?

• bel33 says:

I think so… I’d imagine Louis Leblanc would have like to have been able to get a degree from Harvard for example.

I know there’s some gripping about the low number of games in college, but the NBA seems to ramp up their new talent just fine when they make the jump.

Maybe not abolish… but it shouldn’t be a detriment if someone chooses that route.

But what do I know…

– I’d buy that for a dollar! -

• twilighthours says:

Where do the guys who have graduated (or don’t want to go to college) but aren’t good enough to make the NHL play?

• DipsyDoodler says:

They can get on with their lives.

I think if all the good hockey players went to college. college hockey would improve and it would be the equivalent of college football and basketball, where the athletes come out fully formed and ready for the big leagues (or not in which case they at least have a degree).

Are we then also cancelling the pro hockey in Europe? Particularly the Swiss and German leagues where many AHL players go?

• DipsyDoodler says:

I’m not canceling anything. I’m suggesting that the 18-21 year olds who are drafted by NHL teams should play college hockey instead of junior or AHL.

• twilighthours says:

It wasn’t clear that’s what you meant, especially since you wrote

“Should they just abolish the AHL and have those kids go to college instead?”

How about instead of University, Trade School while they play hockey. We have enough university grads (of which I am one) would much rather see the trades pushed in North America the way University is preached to be the great answer.

• scavanau says:

In Montreal…

• Mattyleg says:

At least in the AHL they are learning a marketable trade.

In university they would be wasting everyone else’s time as they stare at Facebook during class and handing in sub-par work.

That’s what standard university students already do; I can only imagine how much worse it would be for students who are actually good at doing something else and aren’t allowed to be doing it.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• twilighthours says:

I dig it.

I ripped my students this morning for being disinterested, entitled, and generally worthless lumps.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep, that’s good times.

“But I worked really hard on this!”
          “It’s a piece of sh!t.”
          “I deserve a better mark!”
          “You deserve a slap in the head and a dose of real life.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

Not that I want to poke an ants nest, and I certainly know students are a truly difficult bunch to reach and keep their interest, but as a teacher it seems to me it falls also on your shoulder to try to ensure that they are indeed focused and interested.

There’s tons of stuff a teacher has no control over, and so it’s a difficult task, but I’ve suffered through many teacher who seemed like they hated being there much more than the class.
          I guess it goes both ways is what I’m saying.

• twilighthours says:

Great comment! I had a hearty laugh at that.

• shiram says:

Was not joking at all.

• twilighthours says:

I know! That’s what makes it even better.

And I do think you actually want to poke the ant’s nest.

• Mattyleg says:

That may be true of high school, Shiram, but not University.
            People pay to be there, and the teacher is there to impart information.
            If people decide to surf the internet during lectures, then it’s only them who are losing.

It’s true that there are bad teachers out there, but there are far more bad students.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DipsyDoodler says:

I rarely teach undergrads but it is disconcerting when you see half the class surfing the net.

Then again I’d be doing the same probably.

• The Jackal says:

As a student (currently on a sabbatical :P ) it really pisses me off to see other students just messing around in class, not really paying attention then pulling an all nighter to hand something in late or cram for a test… then they complain that they are not learning and that the university experience is just a cash grab.

Maybe if they took their heads out of their asses and took interest in something, and actually did the work, they’d appreciate what they are building knowledge and actually know how it relates to a career they want to pursue.

Rant over.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

19. DipsyDoodler says:

You want outrage? How about those timbits mini-games during intermission.

First, let’s pass on the fact that these are toddlers who should be in bed at that time, and in any case shouldn’t be out there entertaining adults or shilling donuts (aren’t there child labour laws in this country?).

And what product does Tim Hortons sell that is suitable for children? Donuts and coffee? Want a cigarette with that?

But most importantly, these kids suck. They can’t stand on their skates let alone move in a desired direction. They’re too weak to actually propel the puck forward. It’s just Brownian motion.

20. Steeltown Hab says:

Therrien saying DD is competing as is Pacioretty….essentially saying they’re trying a bit harder and deserve some kind of effing pat on the back?

I still see nothing close in their game to the compete level of EGG, Subban, Markov, Bournival, hell i’m not even exaggerating when I say Dumont works harder and displays more intensity on the ice than both those guys as well.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

So… what did I miss? Did a miracle happen last night and Habs got rid off Therrien, Bergevin and the smurfs?

Clearly the most excitement here today is going to be the first poster on the next thread. I have a pint of beer on Luke as the winner!

23. donmarco says:

Boy, there are some real doozies on the top 50 fights link.

Habs made number 1. Woo Hoo.

24. Luke says:

It’s a slow morning in here. Where’s the outrage?

I had an odd dream last night, but in it the Habs were playing on the TV in the back ground. For the record: Eller had 4 points and Galchenyuk had a goal and 4 assists.

Lets see if I’m psychic.

Also, I’m going to pack away the cursed Lafleur jersey. I gave it 3 shifts in the second on Saturday. It was awful. I’ll give the blank jersey a try, but I’m not promising anything. (Except for a 5 point night from Galchenyuk).

25. huge_polar_bear says:

TSN Radio had a segment where they were giving grades for the first 1/4 of the season to Habs players. The discussion degenerated into how can you have DD with a mark of 5 out of 10, but the idea was a good one. Here are my grades (I kept it to players that played 5 games or more):
    10/10 = not a soul
    9/10 = Price, Budaj (technically only played 4 games)
    8/10 = PK, the EGG line, Markov
    7/10 = Plekanec, Bournival, Diaz, Prust
    6/10 = Bourque, Max Pac, Georges, Gio
    5/10 = Cube, White, Tinordi, Murray, Beaulieu
    4/10 = Holland, Leblanc, Blunden, Parros, Briere
    3/10 = Desharnais, Moen

What are your score cards?

• Maksimir says:

Knock a point off everyone and that’s mine.

• DipsyDoodler says:

General agreement, maybe place Prust a notch lower.

Prust is not the player he was last year. In part this is due to injuries, but the injuries are mostly self-inflicted. Why, for example, is he fighting with that meathead from Columbus in his first game back from a shoulder injury? And there was no reason for it: Boll came and checked Prust – not even a hard check, just a normal everyday check, and Prust went after him.

That doesn’t help the team in any way.

I would also place Markov 0.5 higher. He’s been outstanding. Back to his intelligent creative self.

• krob1000 says:

I did it based on my own expectations and I gave people breaks for injury and recovery time ie Patches and Prust

10/10: Price, Bournival
      9/10 :Markov, Gallagher,Diaz
      8/10 : Subban, Glachenyuk, Eller
      7/10 : Pleks, Gorges, Prust
      6/10 : Bourque, White, Gio, Pacioretty
      5/10 : Murray , Bouillon,Moen, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Parros, Holland,
      4/10 : Leblanc, Desharnais,

Watching how good Drouin was last night in the Q vs. Russia all star game, it will be a treat to watch him again in the World Juniors. He and Hudon could be quite the combination at that tournament.

27. Old Bald Bird says:

The way in which MT reminds me of JM is in his personnel decisions. Why not keep the good lines together and work with the rest? Why give lesser contributors more TOI than better contributors? Why play the lesser contributors late in a game when the team needs a goal?

28. John Q Public says:

I ♥ DD.
    Φ
    ?

29. Marcusman says:

For all of you that thought I was nuts at suggesting Jagr could help us in the scoring department. 7 goals 9 assists….he’d be second in scoring in both goals and points….and LOVING playing in the uber show that is Montreal. Why on earth they signed Briere over him?

• Shackles says:

Would have loved a Jagr signing but wasn’t it a few years ago that he used the Habs as leverage to cut a better deal somewhere else? Maybe it’s a case of fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice…yadda, yadda, yadda. Still doesn’t excuse the Briere signing.

• Marcusman says:

He’s making 2 million is he plays less than 45 games and 4 if he plays more…..that’s where Briere’s money should of went…6′ 3″ 240lbs…..9th leading scorer of ALL TIME……and we went with 5’9″ 180 lbs 789th overall all time.

Honestly Bergevin…that’s like throwing the puck in your own net.

• krob1000 says:

As far as I am conceerned Jagr is the second highest scorer of all time..that is how I view him. I view him the third best offensive player ever thus far asafter Mario and Wayne but all those years of strikes, lockouts and his time in Europe he easily would have earned enough points to be way out in front in 2nd.

• alfieturcotte says:

Jagr at $2mm for 1 year vs Briere 2 yrs at $8MM – we see the difference between an astute GM (Lamoriello) and a dim one (Bergevin). To throw $8MM on an aging, declining, small forward w/a history of injuries/concussions sounded bad the day he was signed. Looking worse as the season progresses.

For all the “good will” lavished on MB for his open and communicative style vs his predecessor, I am not at all impressed with our green GM’s moves to date (w/the exception of Prust; Galchenyuk was a no brainer that my twin 11 yr old boys could have made)….

• ooder says:

Let’s take it easy there. Lamoriello is a good gm. But he chose to draft 29th overall instead of forfitting that pick due to the kovalchuk disaster. Nowbhe has to get rid off this years pick and it looks like it will be a high one

• Marcusman says:

With Regards to Prust….I’m fairly certain he was motivated to sign with the Tri-color given he’s beautiful girl friend lived in MTL. I bet he was easy to land. In fact I wouldn;t be surprised to find out he contacted us and wasn;t even on our radar.

• 24 Cups says:

The fact that MT gave Briere 8M was an attempt to replace Cole/Ryder. It also was an admission that there was no one in the system close to being ready. The tie breaker for Briere was being French-Canadien.

For me the logical alternatives were MacArthur, Brunner and Frolik. Some might have wanted Stalberg but not on a four year deal. Nashville will regret that move. Then there were the eventual walk-ons such as Raymond and Boyes but they never seemed to be in the picture (or on my radar screen).

As for Jagr, I wouldn’t have signed him. I thought his inability to score in 20 playoff games was a tell tale sign. The real truth of the matter (although Hab fans don’t want to hear it) is that Boston would have won the Cup instead of Chicago if Jagr and Seguin scored a few goals in the final series (they had a grand total of one goal in 44 games). To give Jagr 4M would be insanity in my eyes. You also have to keep in mind that Jagr is a hired gun, a mercenary who plays one team off against the other. I also wonder if his point totals would be as high if he had to play behind Gionta and Gallagher. Even if he lined up with Pleks it would have meant our captain would have been bumped down to the third line with DD. Jagr’s ATOI is over 18 minutes in Jersey, which is second only to Pleks here in Montreal.

• Marcusman says:

6′ 3″ 240 lbs…9th all time scorer. he would of helped…and replaced Cole/Ryder easily.

Bergevin is now some kind of Celeb…he has his own TV commercials…his choice for head coach is classless, foul mouthed bully.

We’re not even remotely close to #25..

• rhino514 says:

I don´t understand why they were so desperate to find and overpay for a right winger who would be third on the depth chart.
        There were homegorn options of either Bournival or Leblanc stepping up, and sure enough Bournival has done just that.
        And even if the GM couldn´t foresee Bournival, isn´t Prust on the third line just about the best possible back-up option a club could have? He would contribute as much as Briere and by his toughness make the other players around him much better.
        You give Prusty decent linemates and he pots around a dozen, I´m sure of it. It´s maybe 3 goals less a year than you ideally want from a third liner, but that´s nothing, he probably creates or impedes many more team goals indirectly in other ways.

The team could have easily saved itself eight million.

30. habstrinifan says:

Lady Gaga or Habs Hockey! Which is more ado about nothing right now.

Yikes, you are all over the map this morning, big trades, university rankings, pop musicians….. :)

• Eddie says:

Here’s a post for our friend, Trini, who is a big Bournival supporter.

If Bournival is being moved to the 4th line, why not at least play him at his BEST position, center?

He is a fabulous skater, 200 foot player, who has the hockey IQ and work ethic to play center. I watched him play center and dominate as a Junior player. He can create more offence from the center position, as I’ve been trying to explain about Galchenyuk as well, and Bournival is one of the easiest players to coach you will find.

You know how we’re always discussing how to “develop” young players, well in Bournival’s case we could develop him as a center slowly on the 4th line, and he will move up to 3rd line in short order.

Where are we going with White? I like him. He is a real gamer. He will fight for his teammates, and he deserves a ton of credit for that. But White has little or no talent with the puck and he will never create any offence from the center position.

And Briere centering the 4th line? Are you kidding me? What a joke.

And Therrien is worried about defence from the 4th line? Well Bournival is a much smarter and much more effective defensive player than White, as well.

Bournival does not have Whites NHL experience in games played, but in this case, that should be set aside in favor of all the other factors at play.

• habstrinifan says:

Nice hockey post! I wish I could be like you and get ‘serious’ right now re the team. Unfortunately, I think that MT is not only a bad coach but a ‘destructive’ coach. And until he changes or is fired, Habs hockey will be a ‘hold your nose’ and swallow serving.

Just my opinion!

• Eddie says:

Bournival is being bounced around like a ping pong ball.

Give him the 4th line. Watch how he takes control of that situation, and solidifies it for the team.

Give young players a WELL DEFINED role and responsibilities.

That’s how you develop players.

31. habstrinifan says:

Forget the HABS woes for a bit. Get a woman; get a pizza; get some good wine and get ready to celebrate Beaujolais Nouveau!

32. adamkennelly says:

Habs got rid of one Gomez and now they have two…

Gomez = $7M and useless
    Briere and DD = $7.5M and useless + plus – they take up two roster spots…

if anyone wants to know why the Habs are struggling – pull up the MTL roster on Capgeek…look at all the high priced forwards doing nothing.

• The Cat says:

I remember a time where there was the saying “Goalies go to Tampa Bay to die”…I think the same can be said for Montreal and its centremen.

33. habstrinifan says:

Forbes ranks California Institute of Technology best University in the world. Ahead of Harvard, Princeton, MIT, etc.

Canadian universities not in top 10.

• Luke says:

I’m not sure why, but all this did was remind me of the Simpson’s scene:

Marge Simpson: [watching Lisa practice fencing to get into Harvard] Sweetie, you could still go to McGill, the Harvard of Canada.

Lisa Simpson: Anything that’s the “something” of the “something” isn’t really the “anything” of “anything”.

34. habstrinifan says:

I smell a trade! A BIG trade.

Do not leave your TV set!

35. wjc says:

News bulletin:

HIO contributors lead the league in ‘fantasy solutons’ that did or did not really exists.

Their fantasy trades, demotions and line changes went unnoticed by management who actually have any authority.

It is further reported that they (meaning all of them) will continue to watch and throw things at the television and make full reports on HIO.

All the rants and raves during the lockout are now forgotten as they continue to buy useless overpriced merchandise and in some cases use the over used credit card for over priced tickets.

There numbers continue to grow and are encouraged by a couple of reporters, one of which is past his ‘best before date’. This is an ever changing situation, that many, compare to scripted wrestling and soap opera’s and you will be kept up to date.

wjc

36. Cal says:

Flames victory last night was all on the refs. Their short-handed goal was a pick play. Total interference with no call. Typical NHL bs, so it’s business as usual.

So Kadri feels Scott isn’t respected throughout the league, too bad the reporter didn’t have a follow up question asking Kadri if he thought he was respected throughout the league.

38. DipsyDoodler says:

The HIOtariat is both fickle and angry, so it comes as no surprise that any underperforming player should get crapped on relentlessly.

But Pacioretty? Really? He is in a slump, probably not completely recovered from that groin pull. He’s played all of 6 games since that injury and you’re all ready to trade him?

And then there are the people who claim he has no balls or no heart (including, unfortunately, our venerable headmaster). After what this guy went through?

Max Pacioretty has no heart? Really?

• Cal says:

If he’s not “fully recovered”, wtf is he doing playing? Patches at half-speed and no intensity is like Moen.

• Body_of_Price_Repels_You says:

Not to mention his outstanding contract. If he returns to form, which is more likely than not, he can be one of the best bargain’s in the NHL. $4.5 mil cap hit until 2019. He’s 24. He’s a goal scorer.

These are the kinds of contracts you need to build a winner, not UFA players that are already overpriced and cost the Canadiens another $500,000 – $1,000,000 extra on top just so they’ll sign in Montreal

He’s in a slump. He’s been there before and he’ll be there again. You would be crazy to trade him for anything but a superstar

39. habstrinifan says:

In other news of the dysfunctional, WTF is up with George Zimmerman. Dont he know how to just chill? Guy’s in one gun situation after another.

40. HABZ24 says:

Wthell,i dont get it,habs have a lack of scoring so they put a grinder in prust with galchenyuk and eller,makes no sense.while were at it habs have too many of the same type player in white,prust,parros,moen,need scoring …hello.moens a bumm has got to go way past his usefullness.white can ship out to not a heavy hitter.prust and parros should only play vs tuff teams.terrien needs to stop being so p.c for the 24 ch cameras and curse and swear,light a bloody fire under this team.

GO HABS GO

41. twilighthours says:

Being up this early is never fun

42. The Jackal says:

Any chance MB can make a trade to the Ducks for known playoff performer Staubitz? ;)

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

43. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

If you’ve ever listened to the lyrics on The Weeknd’s “Trilogy” album, you will know where Rob Ford gets his ideas. I hope The Weeknd can take Mr Ford aside and let him know that it’s all fictional, and is not meant to be a guide to life in Toronto.

Oh, and Go Habs!

• Habsolutely says:

░░░░░░███████]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
      l███████████████████].
      ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤

I am to tired to watch… did anyone see Stephen Harper on L’Antichambre? Was it anything watching?

• VancouverHab says:

Excellent idiomatic French, but out of practice. His comprehension is perfect. He was full of praise for the Habs (he clearly has a sentimental attachment to Canadian hockey.)

Stéphane Langdeau was the absolute model of cultured journalistic gravitas: a gentleman in the true sense. Did Canada proud.

45. ProHabs says:

I wonder what type of player Blake Geoffrion would have developed into and if he would have been able to help the Habs.

• Timo says:

You mean if he had the benefit of Michael Therrien Personal Development Program?

• Kooch7800 says:

blake I don’t think would have been much more than a third liner in the NHL at best but most likely would have been a career AHL’er. What happened to him really sucks. I do think though he made the right choice. His health wasn’t worth the risk

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

46. Mattyleg says:

So, just scrolled through here, and saw the usual suspects, and some newer additions calling for Therrien’s head on a platter. All this despite our decent position in the standings despite playing most of the beginning of the season with 1/3 of the Hamilton Bulldogs in our lineup due to injuries to key players.

It reminds me of a couple of years back when all the HI/Oers were hopping mad about JM. Were they upset with our position in the league table? No, they didn’t like his style of play. Or his note-taking. Or his sepulcheral nebbishness. So they ranted and raved and exaggerated, and name-called, and… lo and behold, they got their wish: A fired coach.

Oh, and a lame-duck interim coach and a last-place finish.

I’d rather not have any of that, thanks. Wasn’t fun the first time round, won’t be fun again.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

47. Dave Jones says:

I like these lines. Nice to be healthy finally. All three top lines can be rolled in any situation. And Briere can still get some looks on the powerplay–maybe.

48. Vladdy Mondavi says:

Just got back from watching the QMJHL vs Russia in the first game of the Subway Series.

I liked what I saw from the Habs prospects – Fucale, Hudon, and Gregoire. Hudon was the player of the game for Team Q with 2 g and 1 assist in a 3-2 win.

What helped Hudon was playing on the top line with Drouin. I thought Gregoire put in a solid effort at both ends.

• desertman says:

Was Hudon the one doing the creating or was he benefiting from Drouin’s slick passes? What about Gregoire, you think he has any offensive potential for the future?

49. twilighthours says:

Jols, did you really not know what Warrior was? I thought you were a big hockey guy.

• jols101 says:

Haven’t played hockey even shinny for over a decade. I did play Junior in the late 80’s and University in the early 90’s. CCM and Bauer where the 2 skate choices back then and most equipment was made by Cooper, CCM or Jofa. Never heard of Warrior before today. Ordered a toque of the website Burly posted though. Only because i enjoyed the Nail Yak commercial.

50. jols101 says:

Must be a shortage on Crosby highlights. Pierre Mcguire is going off about a puck hitting his skate.

51. Psycho29 says:

Let’s lighten things up in here (and we need it!)…Here’s a comparison between Rob Ford and Chris Farley……..

52. Rad says:

That Tom Wilson is a tough kid. Not many players want to tangle with Ryan Reaves.

53. Mondou6 says:

Our entire team is small frail players who don’t score consistently.

Sometimes, we get lucky and 3-4 non-goal-scorers put one in the net. But most nights, it’s lucky if we score 2 goals.

I’m not sure if it’s our style of play. If we played wide open hockey, would we be any worse? I tend to doubt it. I don’t think we’d be that much better though.

54. jols101 says:

Mantha took a cross-check right to the beak after scoring that goal.

55. jols101 says:

Haven’t heard Gregoire’s name a lot since the 1st period. Hope he didn’t get injured.

56. RAM_TOUGH says:

“Gallagher can dig out pucks and maybe get his nose dirty. He might help us out, but we all have to take a look in the mirror and we all have to play better”. That’s right Maxie, Gally can do the dirty work so you don’t have to do it or should I dare say can’t do it!

Guts-Glory-Ram