Habs, Sens seem to be leading Hossa lottery

The Canadiens and Ottawa Senators might be leading the race for prized Atlanta Thrasher Marian Hossa, according to Bob McKenzie. And the well-plugged-in TSN commentator thinks a deal could be completed as early as today, expedited by the decision Sunday of Toronto Maple Leafs captain Mats Sundin to not waive his no-trade clause.

1. nightmare_49 says:

If you own a building and in your budget you put a certain amount each year for say renovations and each year you put it off the building will still be there but it won’t be what it should be. Some posters which i respect say build from within but you know no matter how you draft there will be holes so you have to fill them and what we need is a sniper so lets gamble while were dealing from strength cuz this may not come around in the near future. All these prospects can’t all play for the Habs so use your assets to improve the structure.

2. mrstewart61 says:

I didn’t read any comments from management or media about the reason for Latendresse sitting out the CLB game, but I wonder if he may be part of an offer for Hossa??

Also, Garrioch reports that a possible offer from Ottawa for Hossa would be ‘Antoine Vermette, a prospect — possibly Brian Lee, Nick Foligno or Ilja Zubov — and a top draft pick’. I think we can easily beat that.

3. mrstewart61 says:

He would look good in the lineup. I wonder what they would want in return??

4. arcosenate says:

Here’s an interesting article from the Hamilton Spectator:

5. Blitzen says:

Not sure how I get the “Gainey is in a position of strength” angle. I think it’s just as likely that he’ll be outbid for the top players by desperate GMs. The only way he would be in a position of strength is if one of the sellers desperately wants to sell to the Habs, and no one else.
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

6. Blitzen says:

As I’ve said before, the only way Ottawa gets him is if they accept to be raped by Waddell who would be trying to make up for the Hossa/Heatley trade. I have no doubt that Waddell is asking more from Ottawa than from any other team.
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

I know I’m sounding like a broken record on this one, but if Philly is getting desperate I sure hope Gainey is inquirying about Jeff Carter. We could offer Phily what they need although I doubt they would trade with a team that is so close to them in the standings.

The Original 24 Cups

8. Richard B says:

Couple of comments,
    I agree that it is likely that Mr. Gainey would like a new contract signed with any new player before executing a deal. It is for this reason that I think it will be difficult for Gainey to pull it off.

I also agree that he will be consious of team chemistry. Thus bringing in a top line talent like Hossa, may be risky.

My last comment is about Ryder, without any personal knowledge of the relationships in the Habs dressing room…I expect Ryder is a key part of the team for more reasons than for his goal scoring ability or lack of ability.

When I see Ryder on the Bench…he is talking with Higgins or Koivu ect.and he and the person he talks to are smiling and laughing and seem to be enjoying themselves.

Contrast this with some other players or players on other teams that sit on the bench next to each other and just stare straight ahead?

9. ccs says:

I really hope that Bob brings in some real talent this time. Did he not promise Koivu in the off season that he would do this??? I say go after Hossa, we have the depth in this organization to do so. I would hate to see Ottawa get him. That would be a bad day for us all.

10. coutNY says:

They also have 3 great centers… and seeing that that Fluery has faultered this season and is coming off an injury I would question him going in the deal??

11. piche says:

Good points. We will know who has the greater value soon enough… although it is relative to the trading team’s needs. Philly is getting desparate and could end up giving up a boat load for Richards.

12. Bill H says:

Nightmare: I don’t recall what Bob offered Briere. And has a number been confirmed, or is it just rumour?

No, I don’t want to see Gillette’s bank account get any fatter. It will be getting plenty fat in the next few years with deep playoff runs. But I think Bob must be careful how he spends the money, especially at this time of year. If he can make a deal that will improve the club without costing too much in prospects and picks, then that would be great.

The Canadiens should be spending at close to the cap maximum. Having a little bit of space to make a deal is a good strategy. Doing a deal just because the money is there and we don’t want Gillette to get it is not a smart thing to do.

13. Bill H says:

Good point 24. But Hossa might be willing to sign with a “contender” for less than he would for Atlanta. In any case, it would seem he’s looking for $7M – $8M.

Another factor that comes into all of this trade talk is how secure each GM’s position is within their individual organizations. There have been rumours that Martin’s job could be on the line if Florida doesn’t make the playoffs (I find that hard to believe). Waddell must be close to using up all of his lives in Atlanta and Feaster may be under the gun from the new owners to shake things up. I would also think that Murray in Ottawa is really feeling the heat. He won the powerplay with Muckler so now he has to come through win a Cup win. Contrast all of that with the teams in Detroit, Anaheim, Dallas, Montreal, and Vancouver where the management structure is pretty stable.

Some GM’s may be desperate to make an earth shattering move in the next two days but I don’t think Gainey will be one of them. In that respect, he’s dealing from a position of strength.

The Original 24 Cups

15. Bill H says:

You made your point about +/- while I was doing the same for Hossa below. I hadn’t looked up Richards stats though, and your point is a good one. I guess that’s why people think $8M is too much for him. Never a 30 goal scorer and lifetime -55 are not strong stats to support that kind of money. So looking at his playoff stats, I see 23GP 12G 14A 26 +/- +5 in ’03-’04, which I guess is the year he won the Conn Smythe.

I agree with you. I wouldn’t sign either Richards or Hossa given what we think the cost would be. Especially Richards due to high salary and relatively poor performance historically.

16. johnnyhab says:

Watch the Pens land Richards now with 3 goalies in the system Tampa needs help in the net I could see Flurey going.

Bill – Hossa turned down $7mil a year in Atlanta so I would imagine he will be looking for something a little bit sweeter than that. He also might be looking at one of those front end loaded contracts – he gets a ton of coin up front but has the cap hit average out at say 7.5 mil.

The Original 24 Cups

18. Bill H says:

Good point HKisses. I think Hossa will get extended before he is traded, and his extension will be based on his current production which is on pace for 36G 40A 76Pts, and his past production. He’s not having his best season this year. His best season was 43G 57A 100Pts in ’06 – ’07. This year his +/- is -14. Last year he was +18. Maybe he won’t sign for $8M, because his numbers are down this year, but I think he will go for close to that based on past years.

19. coutNY says:

But you also have to consider the now,

Hossa has put up has put up 6 above 30 goals seasons (working on 7) and is a lifetime + 85 player. Although this year this year -14.

Richards never a 30 goal scorer and -55 lifetime and -25 currently. Yes he’s never been given the opportunity to be the goto guy but he also does not face top defenses either because not doubt their facing the LeCavalier line. He’s not a big imposing Center we all dream of being that he’s 6’0 198 pounds. His stats aren’t much better than that of Koivu’s which I would assume would be what we would be aquiring him for…

I like Richards and would be happy to have him playing in Montreal but his salary at this point does not justify giving up as much as Hossa. Not that I would give up too much for Hossa either.

20. nightmare_49 says:

Didn’t Bob set the precedent with the offer to Briere , and every year Bob has set aside millions (mad money) for a special deal or two and nows the time to use it for the fans or do you want it to go back in Gillette’s bank account again.

21. showey47 says:

yeah, that has happened before. it may be a lousy example but when tremblay and brashear had their fallout and brashear was traded shortly afterwards to vancouver. The teams played shortly afterwards and this was part of the deal.

22. HKisses says:

Hmm don’t you think a player has to have a productive season to get a good pay raise….. So if Hossa doesn’t produce to his expectations, should he get paid like Richards?

23. Bill H says:

Beauchemin, Hainsey and Ribiero may not be BG’s best moves as a GM. But let’s face it, some players have trouble developing in the high pressure atmosphere that is Montreal. They do better in cities like Dallas. I don’t think there is anything Bob can do about that. At some point, he’s got to pull the plug and get something in return, especially when it begins to affect team morale.

As I said in another post, I don’t think Bob will go for a rental player at this time. Ryder, Fischer, Perezhogin and Emelin is way too much for Hossa, unless the deal includes an extension.

24. Cable Guy says:

Bob wouldn’t agree to a trade with Hossa unless a long term contract could be signed with him. Bob won’t get a rental player.

25. likehoy says:

I think here’s the interesting question…if Hossa is traded to us tomorrow before 3pm…is he eligible to play for us right away, considering we’re playing atlanta tomorrow night?

I mean all he has to do is report to the team and pass his physical and it’s going to be pretty hard not to report to montreal when his team’s already in montreal, but can waddell agree a deal where we get hossa but he has to sit out the game against them?

26. HKisses says:

Yep Showey47 is right…Gillett for sure up to get a high impact player, I know Joey Eilias’s Girlfriend from CJAD and she knows Komi. And she told me that Gillett is one of the reasons Price was called back up (No im not starting Rumors)

27. Bill H says:

It depends on what Hossa will extend for. His value is way down unless an extension is part of the deal. And I don’t think he will be extending for $5M a year. More likely it will be a number much closer to what Richards is signed for.

The other thing to consider is that Richards is a Conn Smythe Trophy winner. Hossa’s playoff production drops off from his regular season play.

28. Bill H says:

I think Bob is looking hard at players like Hossa, Tanguay, Richards, and Jokinen. He’s said publicly that he is looking for an impact player and I believe him. I don’t think Bob considers a bottom 6 forward to be an impact player.

The problem, if you can call it that, is twofold. I don’t think Bob wants to trade a key rooster player. I would call Higgins and Koivu key rooster players. I would say Ryder and Huet are not. Of course Bob may have a different opinion, but I’m guessing that he is of like mind. But the point is that Bob is aware of team chemistry and given our depth and youth, I don’t think he will risk too much.

The second part of the equation, in my opinion, is salary. Richards is signed at just under $8M if I am not mistaken. Hossa will probably extend for a similar amount. I think Bob would be reluctant to sign someone for those numbers as they set a precedent and really throws the whole team salary structure out of balance. Jokinen is the only one who is signed for an amount that is in line with other Habs players. But this fact makes him worth even more in a trade. His so-called grit and size do too. I don’t see Bob getting into a bidding war and paying too much.

Lastly, I don’t see us signing a rental. If anyone is coming, either they are already signed through next year, minimum, or Bob will extend them before the deal is finalized.

29. mjames says:

I posted this on M. Boones’s thread. Maybe it belongs here!

I kind of wish Gainey would sit this one out. I have a hard time justifying giving players, prospects and draft choices for a rental. We saw last year the experience of the Flames, Nashville, Detroit and Islanders. They gave up good assets and all are left with nothing this year. That is not good business. While Montreal’s managment has done a stellar job in drafting and growing players they tend to give them away for nothing or very little (i.e. – Beauchemin, Hanisey, Ribero,) We can’t keep on doing that. It makes no sense. The max I would give for Houssa as a rental would be Ryder, Fischer and rights to Perezhogin and Emelin. Halak stays as we will lose Huet next year.

mjames

mjames

30. piche says:

If you had to give the same package for either player, who would you rather have on your team: Hossa or Richards.

Richards has had a tough year this year… illness and lack of line mates on a terrible team have contributed to his stats this year. Also he may be expensive but you are assured he is not a rental.

Personally I take Richards… hands down. Although I would probably take Jokenin over both of them.

31. showey47 says:

true gainey maybe a conservitive guy, but his boss definatly isn’t. Gillett would also like the extra playoff revenue i’m sure.

32. coutNY says:

Maybe True… but his stats are not Teir 1, maybe in potential but diffentaly not proven. Couple that with his salary, I would make the anguement for 2nd teir status. A player that would not command much in return at this point Richards or Marleau and even Ryder at this point in time because of their poor years can’t command much as much as players like as a Jokkenen or Hossa which I would consider teir 1.

33. Bill H says:

Thanks Count. I am sure Spector is getting tons of traffic these days. But I suspect it might be a problem with my firewall settings, since I haven’t been able to get Spector’s page for weeks now.

34. coutNY says:

I actually do on occaisions. With all the traffic their servers might be getting overwhelmed, so it might be something you have no control over. Also firewalls, because the site might run macros in the background, which trigger blocks by some systems. I can’t even get on Fourthperiod rumors anymore.

35. HKisses says:

I agree….atleast if we had brought up Halak he knows the game and has experience from last year….His experience is more then Price’s i would rather have seen Halak get a chance to play over Price… My two cents

36. piche says:

Richards is not a 2nd tier player… just too expensive.

37. Bill H says:

Thanks countNY. That is what I thought it was. Every time I go there, it won’t load properly. I get a page that says “Internet Explorer can not display this webpage. Likely causes,…etc.” Anyone else have this problem? Its not just this morning. I’ve tried several other times and its always the same thing.

38. coutNY says:

Its hard to believe he didn’t take something like that know he will probably not be picked up next year by the laffs and fall out of media favor for not “helping” the cause to better the franchise with accepting a move, but thats why he had the clause to begin with so good for him! Seeing how JFJ got run out of town, I bet the Laffs will do the same with him at year-end.

39. nightmare_49 says:

It’s money that Sundin likes and he has major investments around TO so why leave them for to help the club which is just a hobby for him.

40. Bill H says:

I don’t think your comment is fair. Winning can be a major priority even while loyalty is a higher priority and winning at all costs is not.

Sundin has stated that he does not believe in the concept of a rental player, so I give him credit for being true to his beliefs. It is clear that the majority of players believe that the only loyalty they have is towards themselves, and making as much money as possible is the most important priority for them.

That being said, I am surprised Sundin has not considered extending with whoever he is traded to. Then he wouldn’t be a rental, but rather it would be a more legitimate trade. However, whatever his decision, I give him credit being true to his own principles and not being swayed by money.

41. Habs64 says:

Another source passed along word that the Detroit Red Wings offered Sundin a two-year contract extension if he would waive his no-trade agreement with the Maple Leafs. However, he refused to OK the deal.

42. nightmare_49 says:

Thank God for the laffs country club and president Sundin. If Sundin had waived the NTC the laffs might of started down the road that the Phoenix Coyotes took and rebuilt to a decent playoff contender but now they are on the avenue called mediocrity and will stay there for a long time. The funny thing about this is that the laffs weren’t sure if they should resign Sundin this summer and now he is the true leader of their country club , FORE.

43. coutNY says:

I agree, Like I said in an above post, I’d be surprise if we get either now that they’re a couple of the most coveted assets in a market now that it is less players such as Sudin and Forsberg…

44. Smart Dog says:

People – let’s not talk about a “dissappointing trade deadline”. The only dissappoinment would be a bad trade and that won’t happen.

It’s Bob & co’s smart drafting that has us in a sweet position – our pipeline of strong developing players and our youth puts the Habs in a strong position. If we land Hossa it won’t gut the team – odds are we’ll lose one or both of Valentenko and Grabovski – as well as an NHLer, another prospect or pick. But we have a lot more good developing players and so much youth on the current team we can take the hit.

If we don’t get Hossa we’re in a much better position to sign a star free agent this summer. Our many strong rookies and young players will be a year stronger next year, and our prospects another year stronger for another deal.

Gainey will take the best shot at Hossa he can without messing up the strengths of the current team. (In other words, he’ll trade maybe one current player). But he knows his hand is strong and just grows stronger if he doesn’t get Hossa.

So whatever happens let’s be supportive of Bob and of our team. Trust Bob to manage our resources well. We’re in a sweet spot – and will be for some time. Unlike the latter 90’s, it’s GREAT TIME to be a HABS FAN!!!

And if that’s not enough for you – look down the river at Toronto. You have to respect Sundin. He’s always been 100% class, and pride. And now his very pride is slamming it to the Leafs. Ouch! Tough day to be a Leaf fan. A little icing on the cake for us!

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

45. coutNY says:

With Sundin going down with the Titantic with the band still playing, (meaning all of the others with NTC following suit), leaving a TO franchise with no picks, no future, and chuck full of overpaid underacheivers with NTCs; This will be a consolation if nothing happens in the way of trade for Mtl knowing many years of trouble ahead for the laffs.
    The truth is with players like Sudin not moving leaves the market’s supply without top 2 assets (Sundin & Forsberg), so guys like Hossa, JOkkenen, and Tanquay are now demanded by a greater number of teams once focusing on these other top players. Not to mention 2nd teir players such as Richards, Gratton, or a Prospel. Sure things could still happen, but I am not holding my breath…

Good luck BOB…GO habs Go!

46. Bill H says:

Can someone please post the url for Spector’s page. It moved and I can’t seem to find it, not even with google’s help. I’d like to check in and stay current with developments. And of course Eklund’s page is useless for that as it is all unfounded rumours.

47. RH says:

Sounds about right. The Habs are MORE than one player away from WINNING the Cup. I question whether Hossa is even capable of leading the Habs over ANY of the Western Conference teams, in the big show. The Habs need, not necessarily bigger, but tougher players. Grinders, that know what it’ll take to get to the promised land. Players that will leave EVERYTHING on the ice, each and EVERY game by sacrificing the body, with tough body checks, by crashing the net, and by being resilient after a loss.

The Habs ALSO need to figure out the goaltending situation. Either send Price down and call up Halak or, trade Huet and allow Price to develop his game at the professional level. Personally, Price should never have been called back up. He should have stayed in Hamilton, to work out ALL of the kinks in his game. The position the Habs are in, they can’t afford for Price to work through his deficiencies with THEM.

The lack of defensive effort the past few games are self explanatory.

Uneventful letdown? I prefer to call it staying on an even keel. Let’s not get carried away with big name free agents when there are other areas of this team that need to be addressed. Toughness, goaltending, and better team defense.

48. habsguy says:

Maybe good old Mats just wants to take his $$$$ and go home instead of playing an extra 3 months with a cup contender???

49. HotHabs says:

I, for one, will be very surprised if that goes down.

enjoying the high’s & enduring the lows of being a Habs fan

50. Cable Guy says:

Don’t be surprised if we end up with Hossa and Tanguay.

51. HKisses says:

Yep im the “insider” , My name is Bob McRumor and his jersey has been made and he will have the number 69… I didn’t make his jersey as i don’t have the proper machinery to make it,although my friends at Mission have made 3 of his jersey’s already

52. HotHabs says:

So, are we saying the Leafs need balls?

enjoying the high’s & enduring the lows of being a Habs fan

53. Y says:

Nice. I hope it’s in Comic Sans Serif

54. Blitzen says:

$8M
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

55. HotHabs says:

LOL!!!

enjoying the high’s & enduring the lows of being a Habs fan

56. Blitzen says:

No they’ll be new balls. Whiffle balls.
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

57. Y says:

Are you this insider? Did you make his jersey? What number is he going to have in Montreal?

58. Blitzen says:

“Yeah Mats? After talking about it some more, we’ve decided to put you on waivers and use that money to get a big ticket item to Toronto. We’ll be happy to sign you back next year of course. Oh and we’ve just put out another press release saying that Kaberle is the one with the season-ending injury so you’re OK!”

_____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

59. tony d says:

someone on this blog mentioned trading McCabe for a bag of golf balls…. I hope they didn’t mean NEW golf balls!!
    that would be a bad trade

60. HotHabs says:

I suppose the hopes of Toronto Centric Network are hanging on that one!

enjoying the high’s & enduring the lows of being a Habs fan

61. HotHabs says:

Why am I getting the strong sense that this year’s trade deadline will be an uneventful letdown?

We all know Gainey is ultra conservative with deals. Why would he suddenly change? Will one or two players make a big enough difference to push the team deep in the playoffs and contend for the cup? I know anything can happen, but the Habs are more than a player away from winning it all. I’m sure, with all his wisdom and brilliance, Gainey is fully aware of his team’s hopes and potential.

If anything, the west coast teams are going to make the most splashes on trade day. It is the stronger conference and one of its constituents will likely take home the hardware this year.

TSN must be hoping and praying for a Gainey anomaly. And if Ottawa can’t pull something off, there won’t be much Canadian team drama. That means ratings will take a hit! Man, they must be hating the Leafs and their no-trade loyalists right now!!!

enjoying the high’s & enduring the lows of being a Habs fan

62. Blitzen says:

The next move from classy MLSE regarding Sundin:

“Yeah Mats…great that you would not want to lift the NTC we gave you but would you mind pretending to be hurt for the rest of the year so we might have a better shot at Stamkos? TIA! Hope you don’t mind but we’ve already put out a press release about your season-ending injury.”
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

63. Habs64 says:

Hossa to the Habs on Monday according to insiders!

64. Ian G Cobb says:

This is a business and to get him the Leafs signed a no trade clause. Sundin wanted it in his contract for his reason and the leafs agreed. At his age and what he has done in this game, he defiantly deserves to not move his family if he has honored his part of the agreement. Why do you think Don Cherry is an entertainer,? Because he knows nothing about hockey and honoring agreements.

Never thought i would be backing a leaf. But people have to start putting honor and quality back into this game. We have it back in Montreal now.!!!

65. Blitzen says:

I agree with you on that. To blame Sundin now is ridiculous but what do you expect from Leaf fans?

_____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

66. Blitzen says:

Now there is no way that he goes back to Ottawa unless he brings back an absolute king’s ransom. Everyone says the Thrashers came out the losers of the Hossa-Heatley trade and Waddell will not want that to happen again. If Ottawa gets him, it’ll be for a package that:

a) no other team will be willing to match; and
    b) will gut the Sens à la Leafs for years to come.

What if the Habs pull a reverse-Sundin with Hossa? i.e. keep all your prospects by NOT trading for him and then sign him as a UFA this summer?
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

67. Cable Guy says:

Why should Sundin waive his no trade clause that he bargained for in good faith to help out a team that was mismanaged by JFJ? What does Sundin owe that team?
    Yes winning is important to him but he doesn’t want to go somewhere and win a cup if he hasn’t been with that team the whole year and he’s earned that right to stay put. i don’t blame him.

68. Richard B says:

There has ever only been one leaf that I thought was worth their salt, and that was Sundin. And while you have to admire a guy who wants to stick with his team, you have to believe that if he really wanted the best for his team he would allow himself to be traded for a boat load of talent!
    I don’t get this guy?
    I guess it is apparent that winning in the NHL is not his major priority.

69. HKisses says:

U’d be surprised…His jersey is already made….They are just hoping he picks Montreal now

70. HKisses says:

71. tony d says:

yeah I’m staying inside today too, too friggin cold out there

72. Blitzen says:

Letdown? Come on man, McCabe is still up for grabs. What more could you possibly want?
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

73. Ian G Cobb says:

I’M an insider.! and no one has called me about it yet.?

74. tony d says:

Sundin is the only classy guy to come out of the Leafs organization
    I admire his loyalty and he deserves to be with a team who
    cares more about him…I wish him luck in the future and hope he can retire one day with a sense of victory….unfortunately it’ll never be with the Laffs
    Toronto, you blew it!