Habs, Sens seem to be leading Hossa lottery

The Canadiens and Ottawa Senators might be leading the race for prized Atlanta Thrasher Marian Hossa, according to Bob McKenzie. And the well-plugged-in TSN commentator thinks a deal could be completed as early as today, expedited by the decision Sunday of Toronto Maple Leafs captain Mats Sundin to not waive his no-trade clause.

1. Chorske says:

Haha, nice one. Obscure, but nice.

2. Blitzen says:

Pass the bong please.
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

3. nightmare_49 says:

Bill – I’m sure BG and Julien Brisbois have taken this under consideration and if we wait longer the price will only go up and this summer the free agent market isn’t great and you know how we do with the bidders in the past two summers. Competition isn’t that great now cuz of parity and IMO it’s time to make a move. BG may be dumping a few big contracts also. Time will tell. Nice discussion.

Blitzen – what I meant is that Gainey’s job is secure (unlike some of the other GM’s) and he has the luxury of dealing or not dealing. Even if Montreal is unable to make a deal they are still in good shape. We go into the summer with lots of assets and lots of options. Some of these other teams have to make a big splash right now and even then it may not be enough.

The Original 24 Cups

5. Habs64 says:

I hope we don’t trade Sergei K, he is going to be a star!

6. mjames says:

SK74 is a no. AK46 would go into a tailspin. If you remember AK46 picked up his game when his brother showed up. Much too much to pay for a rental. I hope Gainey sits out.

mjames

7. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

if they do that trade we are FINISHED…CHIP and SK are keepers
    ———
    1. Feb 19, 2008 – History was made.
    1. ONLY BELIVEAU CAN CONVINCE LECAVALIER…
    2. Thank GOD we have Alex Kovalev…..at his PRIME
    3. The BELL CENTRE should be rebuilt to sit 80,000 fans
    4. We will win the CUP

8. Bill H says:

I don’t believe BG would trade either of the Kostitsyns. The others could probably be part of a trade. But only if Hossa signs an extension. But all things considered, I don’t think Hossa is coming to Montreal. Other GMs are more desperate than BG. Cost is too high and BG won’t do the deal.

9. mrstewart61 says:

That would be very tempting if I were Waddell.

10. Habster101 says:

the only problem I see with this trade is, it may mean that Brisebois permanently plays….

11. Bill H says:

Nightmare, I agree with your comments about not all prospect being able to make the club, so it makes sense to deal some of the prospects so that the club is improved. And yes, building a team by the draft alone will leave some holes. But it depends on what the cost of trading for a sniper is. Salary cap must also be considered. What do Komi, Higgins, Pleks, K1, Kovy and Koivu want when the time comes if we sign Hossa for $8M now? I believe these are all things that BG must take into consideration. It seems like the cost of top tier UFAs is very high indeed. Let’s hope BG makes the right move in the end.

12. mrstewart61 says:

That is true.

13. Habster101 says:

Hossa trade will be Kyle Chipchura, Grabovski, Valentenko or O’byrne, and Sergei Kostitsyn…

14. mrstewart61 says:

I think it will have to be more than that. Lats may be considered a roster player. Waddell has said he is not interested in picks. Lats, Grabovski and a D-man (Gorges, Valentenko?), maybe throw in some depth from Hamilton (Milroy types). Grabovski centering for Kovalchuk…hmmm.

15. showey47 says:

It will cost more than that before sundin came off the market. Now with the demand being higher with sundin off the market, it will be even more.

16. Bill H says:

LOL right you are mrstewart. Silly me.

17. PureGuava says:

Atlanta won’t want Latrendese…They want a ‘roster player’ – not a prospect, not a pick. And I’m sure Waddel would take a prospect or a pick before he took the ‘slowsen one’ off our hands.

18. Bill H says:

Richard: There was a recent comment by one of writers on these pages that Ryder’s presence in the dressing room is very strong. So his departure could very well affect team chemistry. However, there must be a feeling that a trade involving Ryder would be good for Ryder as well. Let’s face it, the man needs a change of scenery. If he is not traded, then he will sign elsewhere in the off season. This realization must lessen any impact his departure would have on team chemistry at the trade deadline. Sure, if he is talking it up on the bench and in the dressing room, he would be missed. But if an impact player comes in his place, I don’t think he would be missed so much once players get caught up in the excitement of the playoffs.

I’m not pretending to have an inside view of team dynamics here. Really I’m just speculating. My preference would be for Ryder to finish the season with a flurry of goals, resign in the off season and then rack up another 30 goal season next year. But I fear that is not in the cards, one way or another.

19. PureGuava says:

I think it will be Grabovski, Dandeneault and a pick.

20. mrstewart61 says:

At least if Koivu and Higgins are ‘rooster’ players, they can’t lay an egg! :)

21. krob1000 says:

Thanks for the link.

22. habitual says:

Thanks for this. I’d reluctantly part with O’Byrne because of the depth in Hamilton on defense, but not either of the Kostitsyns. and only part with any player if Hossa can be signed to a contract for the next several years.

I have to believe BG thinks this way, given comments he made last year about rental players.