Leblanc, St-Pierre sent down to Hamilton; Desharnais back in Habs’ lineup

Coming off a 3-2 shootout loss to the St. Louis Blues Tuesday night at the Bell Centre, the Canadiens were back on the ice Wednesday morning for practice in Brossard.

The early news was that Louis Leblanc (photo above) and Martin St-Pierre have both been sent back to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs. Leblanc was held pointless in five games with the Habs and was plus-2. St-Pierre was held pointless in his one game with the Habs Tuesday night.

“Louis Leblanc is leaving for Hamilton with great confidence,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters after practice. “We’re happy with what we saw from him.”

David Desharnais, who was a healthy scratch for Tuesday’s game, was skating on a line with Max Pacioretty and Rene Bourque at the start of practice, while Lars Eller was back with Brendan Gallagher and Alex Galchenyuk. Later in practice, Desharnais skated on a line with Michael Bournival and Bourque, while Pacioretty was with Tomas Plekanec and Brian Gionta.

“We wanted (Desharnais) to take a step back and we didn’t want to wait too long to bring him back in the lineup,” Therrien said. “That was our goal. I believe when a player is facing a situation like he’s facing right now, you don’t want to start to think in the stands too long. We want to give him a chance. We want to show him support. … He’s an important player for us and we have to show our support (toward) him.”

Said Desharnais about being a healthy scratch: “It’s not a good feeling. You want to be out there helping your teammates. But at the same time (I’ve) just got to be ready when I play my next game. (Therrien) expects more from me and I expect more from myself. And I know that. So just got to bring it next game.”

Therrien confirmed after practice that Desharnais will be back in the lineup Thursday when the Canadiens visit the Ottawa Senators (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690) and that Carey Price will start in goal. Alexei Emelin, recovering from reconstructive knee surgery, and Travis Moen, who is recovering from a fractured orbital bone, both practised Wednesday with full-contact jerseys. Moen will return to the lineup in Ottawa while wearing a visor.

Daniel Brière, who has been sidelined with a concussion, will make the trip and skate with his teammates for the first time since being injured Thursday morning in Ottawa.

Eller was happy about being reunited with Gallagher and Galchenyuk.

“I like playing with Chucky and Gally, of course,” he said. “I think we’ve played some great hockey together, in the beginning. So we know what we can do. And I think coach sees that, too. So he’s counting on us to go out there and produce something.”

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at the end of practice Wednesday:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Bournival-Desharnais-Bourque
Moen-White-Parros

Markov-Subban
Diaz-Gorges
Murray-Bouillon
Emelin-Pateryn

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

A read-and-react practice, Canadiens.com

41st in points
    43rd in TOI
    32nd in ES points
    54th in ES TOI
    48th in +/-
    14th in blocked shots

He is however 184th in hits, but he does have more hits than Bouwmeester, Hannan, Seth Jones, Brodin, Krug and Pietrangelo (who has only 1). Seriously, how many of you would have guessed that Diaz is outhitting big bad St.Louis’ top 2 Dmen?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Maritime Ronn says:

No need to hit when you always have the puck and are in the offensive zone.

Kind of the same reason why Chicago had the least amount of hits last year for all NHL teams

It’s hard to hit someone else when you always have the puck

• NCRhabsfan says:

How do they define hit? Is it when you brush an opposing forward and excuse yourself on the way to the puck? Don’t get me wrong, I kind of sort of like Diaz. I’m not sure he gives the Habs what they need with Markov and Subban already in the lineup, but he is good enough to play in the NHL. I’m not sure he’s good enough to play the role he’s playing on a real contender. For now he kicks the crap out of most of the alternatives. Bouillon, on the other hand, is a different story…

2. rhino514 says:

Clearly, the coach thinks Chucky isn´t quite ready to play centre yet.
    He also seems to click really well playing with Eller, and Eller hasn´t done much since being separated from Chucky.
    So I guess we better hope and prey DD finds his game because it looks like we still need him for now.
    …However, Briere is a natural centre, right?
    Could he be an option at centre when he comes back, if DD doesn´t find his game?
    I mean that´s what we paid 4 million for, right? Supposedly we should be getting someone who can still produce well in a top nine role. Heck that´s pretty much a top six salary.

3. Mavid says:

The Sens homers here cannot wait to see St. Pierre in a Habs jersey tomorow night, guess they never got the memo..I also can’t stand it when they call it a rivalry..there is none..get over yourselves..they were discussing the fact that the building will be full and noisy something that has not happened yet this year. Attendance is way down..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• longbow says:

It’ll be full and noisy with Habs fans.

” Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm ” – Winston Churchill

4. otisfxu says:

Everytime someone posts lineup combinations I just roll my eyes. Like it’s going to make any bloody difference. They have all played somehwhere somehow with each other and we are where we are.
    Anyone who thinks this group of names is going to make a playoff run is loonie. The 4th line is just brutal – by the way goonies – Parros has played 4 games – we lost them all – so what was the point of an enforcer again???? So there would be at least 4 minutes of a game we wouldn’t get pushed around??? Silly little minds!!
    That’s it, put DD between the two guys who scored last night,,,,,that should put an end to their prolific scoring streak.

Man, how I long for a bona fide sniper – where are Shutt, Lafleur, and hey my favorite of all Richer…..I’m tired of our so called budding superstars sitting with 1 or 2 goals after 16 games…this team just doesn’t excit me at all.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gionta
    Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
    Bournival-Desharnais-Bourque
    Moen-White-Parros

Markov-Subban
    Diaz-Gorges
    Murray-Bouillon
    Emelin-Pateryn

• jimmy shaker says:

ya…… i roll my eyes too…….so you would have prust, briere and emelin sitting out once they’ve recovered? And you can only dress 6 d-men, not 8

Shaker out!

• Bripro says:

So you criticize the loonie-goonies for line combinations, then you post your own.
      Is bi-polarity a genetic condition, or just your own?

• Bill says:

“Everytime someone posts lineup combinations I just roll my eyes.”

And then you post line combos.

Just FTR, I did roll my eyes.

Full Breezer 4 Life

5. jimmy shaker says:

gally/larry/chucky
    patch/pleks/gio
    bourque/briere/bournival
    moen/dd/prust

Marky/emelin
    subby/gorges
    diaz/bouillon

white, parros and murray are the odd men out.

shaker out!

6. Marc10 says:

Hopefully Eller and the kid regain the scoring touch they showed early. Bourni is getting it done for the Plecky line so as much as people whine, I can see why the coaches are choosing this line combo.

On a team that rolls 4 lines to keep the pressure on the opposition what we need is a 4th line. That’s what cost us two losses on the road. Fix that and we’re a winning team – even with just two guys (Gally and PK) contributing to the offence regularly.

7. Browne says:

Expecting a strong game from Desharnais tomorrow night, 1 goal and 1 assist. Go Habs go

8. longbow says:

My overall assessment – too much drama !

9. habcertain says:

from the EOTP article, does make your scratch you head and validate a perception is being created here:

“Over the last three seasons, Subban has been on the ice for 1.95 goals against per 60 minutes at even strength. Players that’s better than? Let’s take a look, shall we?

Dan Hamhuis, Alex Pietrangelo, Dan Boyle, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Shea Weber, Drew Doughty, Nicklas Kronwall, Jay Bouwmeester, Francois Beauchemin, Duncan Keith, Dion Phaneuf, Erik Karlsson, Victor Hedman, and more.”

10. galchenyuk27 says:

Just wondering if there is a good batch of bc kush going around quebec right now cause lots of ppl on here seem high as kite today.

Bill, what’s the scoop on the newspaper ad?

12. jols101 says:

Lots of discussion about what it will take to get DD ‘going’. The only place DD should be ‘going’ is the Montreal airport with a one-way ticket to anywhere firmly clasped in his hand.

13. krob1000 says:

Noone answered earlier…do the HAbs have until Markov’s 35 bday before 35 year old contract kicks in or is it already a 35 plus contract because he is playing in the season and calendar year in which he turns 35?

• GrimJim says:

I tried looking it up in the cba but I can’t find that section and i don’t have time to skim the entire document to find it. Sorry.

• Maritime Ronn says:

krob

For a +35 contract, the age is calculated on June 30 of the season the contract begins.

Markov turns 35 on December 20th so his ‘next’ contract easily falls into a +35

• longbow says:

I have no idea but logically it would depend on his age when the contract comes into effect ( July 1,2014 ) and not when it is signed (Eg: before his 35th birthday in December)

14. shiram says:

Nicolas St-Pierre ‏@nic_st_pierre 2h

Karlsson sur Subban: je ne peux pas détester quelqu’un qui est meilleur que moi…

15. shiram says:

PPG line woot!
    I like that! It’s about the first time they tried Patches with Pleks.
    Eller keeps his kids, they worked good together.
    DD gets a big guy in Bourque, and a strong puck chaser and a bundle of energy in Bournival.

16. A. Berke says:

As usual a bit late to the news (left coast doesn’t help), anyways I’d like to share a verbatim quote from an article by Ben Kuzma at today’s The Province (BC):

Headline: “Torts takes blame for tying goal (3-2 loss to Coyotes)
    But he should also get some praise for giving Canucks a new look on power play”

….. Tortorella isn’t afraid to experiment or accept blame and that resonates through the locker room. You want buy-in? How about a coach who throws out Alex Burrows to make it four forwards on a second-period power play Tuesday that instantly clicked with Ryan Kesler’s one-timer from the slot to give the Canucks a 2-1 lead? And how about the mea culpa from Tortorella for his bench management that allowed … the Coyotes to even at 2-2..?
    “That’s me” he said. “I tried to stretch my bench and I shouldn’t have. You put that on me. I shouldn’t have had my fourth line out there”.

Does this sound eerily familiar (or non-familiar to be exact)?

And all this time most ppl thought that Torts was an undesirable coach even though he was big enough to take the blame for his mistakes and mismanagement of TOI instead of benching his star player(s) to teach! him/them.

Too bad, but we wouldn’t want a coach like Torts or any other decent coach since they aren’t fluent in french.

Now I remember why I was following the HIO but not posting anymore.

Cheers,

PS: I was fluent in French before I learned a single word in English, so francophones don’t need to respond and accuse me of being an anglo. My comment isn’t against the French language.

PS2: Oh yeah, I forgot, Torts has a nice shiny “RING” too!

Ali B.

• Eddie says:

You should post more often. Very well said.

• The Jackal says:

Again, the French coach argument is weak and uninformed.
      It’s a reality that the team must deal with but it is not a hurdle, it is a tradition that should be celebrated.
      There are many competent and highly intelligent hockey people who are from Quebec or speak French. The province is mad for hockey and it produces a large pool of individuals who are highly qualified. Thus there is not really a limitation in adding a criteria of bilingualism to the job of GM and head coach, but I guess people are too thick to realize that.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• A. Berke says:

Do you really read my posts and understand them? or are you just posting some non-sensical drivel just ’cause you see something that may not agree with your opinion?
        Just read again please the first post scriptum.
        Sheesh!

btw if there are highly qualified francophone coaches, why are we stuck with MT?

FYI, I lived in Montreal probably long before you were born, so don’t try to tell me what ppl want, I already happen to know.

Ali B.

• LizardKing12 says:

Actually this presents a rather large limitation. When we are looking for candidates for the head coach and GM positions we are working from a much smaller talent pool than 29 other teams in the league. A french speaking coach/GM should only be hired if he is the best available man for the job, which sometimes will be the case because we do have good hockey minds from QC. However, the reality is that it is not always the case and sometimes there are better options available.

Wanting to have french speaking players on the roster is actually much more reasonable than wanting a french coach/gm. First of all every team would like to ice local talent, that also applies to any sport. What makes such a thing feasible in terms of roster is the multitude of positions available for a player to fill. In order to have a local player on the team they could be a center, winger, dman or goalie. They can also be anything from a first liner to fourth liner, first or last pairing dman or even a backup goalie. The problem with the coaching and GM positions is there is only ONE spot to fill and they happen to be very important positions. It is akin to saying that the #1 center or #1 goalie on your team HAS to speak french. Maybe the year that you need to fill that spot you are in position to draft Huberdeau or Giroux is available in free agency in which case you would be able to fill your requirement. But what if those players aren’t available when you need to fill that spot, would you then give your #1 center role to say Max Talbot if he was the best available french speaking center?

We don’t put those kinds of limitations on player personnel because it would handcuff the team and impede our chances of winning. Well coaching and managing are equally important positions and good ones are needed to build a winning franchise. So why then is it acceptable for the team to handcuff themselves. I have no problem with hiring the bilingual candidate if he is the clear cut best option. However, if there are options better suited to help the team win then they should be hired. This is sports and the only goal is to win. Politics have no business in sports. As long as fans are more concerned with whether or not the coach can say we lost tonight because we didn’t go to the net and the other team won more puck battles, in french the Habs will struggle to win another cup.

17. Gerry H says:

I’m glad DD is back in for tomorrow night. There is a big difference between a guy who has put up 60 pts in a season and an AHL lifer (St Pierre). Yes, DD has ad a brutal start. Yes, perhaps that 60 pt season will remain a career outlier (by how much, I don`t know). But I think people have been too dismissive of what he brings to the game. He has vision and creativity that played a CENTRAL role in the output of his line during the 2011-12 season. He has, at least until this year, shown first-rate skill and tenacity in puck control along the boards – a key part of today`s game. Perhaps the weight-loss and leaning down he achieved in summer training is undermining this aspect of his game; he is getting tossed around like a rag doll this year. The bottom line is that the Habs need the 2011-12 DD to show up if they are to be really competitive this year. Matching him to two big wingers, one named Pacioretty, seems the most promising way of getting that.

I love the fact that, with DD`s return, Lars is being reunited with the kids. Lars has been a little snake-bit, but hasn`t slacked off. Max has not shown himself to be an ideal fit with the kids and, frankly, Galchenyuk underhwelmed at C. The Eller-Gallagher-Galchenyuk line has been explosive enough to merit a little patience. It has long-term first line written all over it.

I also think we`ve likely seen the last of Louis Leblanc. I simply don`t see any stand-out quality that would make him a top-level prospect. He is not a fast skater. His puck handling skills are far from dazzling. He hasn`t got size. I see no evidence of outstanding defensive skills or vision or a goal scoring touch or anything else that would make one believe that it`s a development issue. The contrast with Bournival is stark. Pity, but there it is.

You may be getting the sense that I`m supportive of the decisions the coach is making. You`d be right. Remember: he didn`t sign DD`s contract or draft LL. His job is to make the most of them as assets. Likewise Eller and the kids, MaxPac, etc.. I think he is doing an excellent job.

So what about the collective nervous breakdown people are having over PK and his deployment over the past few games? I don`t pretend to know precisely what is going on between the coach and PK, but I trust MT`s reputation as a developer of young talent and as a guy who has done awfully well with a team that just a season-and-a-bit-ago was dead last in the East. PK is without a doubt the best player on the team and among the best Dmen in the league. His skill level and athleticism are elite level and then some. But he is not without warts. He still does `complicated`when `simple` is called for, sometimes with dire consequences. He takes too many penalties. You know those amazing end-to-end rushes he does, the one with the crazy stick handling and lateral motion that bring fans out of their seats? Ever notice that they contribute nothing to the scoreboard? Nada. Bupkis.

He is great, but a work in progress. There is a reason why this Norris winner is not a lockfor Sochi. And, yes, his personality is part of the picture. It always is. It is why we, the fans, love him. It is why the opposition and their fans deride him. It is why the approach MT has to use to coach him might be a little different than one would use with a cerebral Karlsson or a taciturn Chara at the same stage of their respective development.

I`m confident PK will have a career with the Habs that will leave his name in the company of the truly great, like Robinson and Harvey. He will get his blockbuster contract from Bergevin. And he will, I`m convinced, benefit greatly from his time under Michel Therrien.

• Cal says:

When a player tries his damnedest and can’t compete despite his inordinate amount of ice time, what should we as fans do? Keep hoping he “snaps out of it?” The truth is more like that other teams know exactly how to negate him. They’ve been doing it for over 60 games now.

• Gerry H says:

60 games? Last year was below the standard he set for himself in 2011-12, but he was still on pace for nearly 50 pts in an 82-game season. His drop off last season has been overstated.

Yes he has sucked for fifteen games this year (though he was the Habs top scorer in the preseason). He has also been missing MaxPac, with whom he has had excellent chemistry, through most of that period.

I still say the criticisms have been overstated.

18. jimmy shaker says:

Price and the 1 on 1 breakaway don’t mix. Waite is gonna have to fix that somehow. He’s been great this year and has kept the team in every game so far this year, but this aspect of the game has been his kryptonite for a long time now.

Not meant to slag, but just stating the truth.

Shaker out!

19. FANHABULOUS says:

Decent article from Berkshire:

I especially liked this part:

“What do you know that Barry Trotz, Ken Hitchcock, Paul MacLean, Darryl Sutter, and Dave Tippett don’t know about young star defensemen? Seth Jones, Alex Pietrangelo, Erik Karlsson, Drew Doughty, and Oliver Ekman-Larsson all get more ice time than P.K. does.”

____________________________________
    “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• Wintercount says:

good article. now hickey et al need to get into warbearer mode at mt’s post gamers, start throwin’ those uppercuts fellas….
      stoic jm’s after game shit was better then this. can’t believe i said that.
      how about letting mb do a couple of after gamers.
      what happened to the “open system for the fans” you promised us!

20. DD works hard every shift and takes responsibility for his lack of production, and aside from the fact that he really has been unbelievably unlucky, he was also cast in a role that didn’t make sense — and unfortunately, paid accordingly.

Blaming MB for a (really) bad decision is absolutely fair game, but you can’t blame DD for the 100% effort level that he shows every night. It’s unfortunate that this isn’t enough — and that with his size disadvantage, he’d need elite Marty St. Louis-level skill to be a top six forward — but I hate to see the venom directed at a hard-working guy who’s doing the best he can.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• Cal says:

DD needs to be in Hamilton or on another NHL team. Right now, there’s no room for him. Having done nothing much since spring of 2012, it’s time to let him go and start using Galchenyuk at center.

• otisfxu says:

it’s not about working hard,,I would work my butt off too if I was in the lineup,,,,,but my lack of skills would eventually come to the forefront

21. PeterD says:

My take on Habs & PK Subban contract negotiations:

Habs reject the asking price of 8 years, $7.5 mil per season.
    Habs counter with $5.5mil for 8 yrs.
    PK comes back $7.5 mill for 2 yrs (takes him to UFA status)
    Habs stay at $5.5 mil for 8 yrs…reasoning PK is not more important to team than Markov and highlight PK’s defensive gaps.
    PK says no way…plays out rest of season and files for arbitration.
    PK sign offer sheet from Philly Fliers for $7.75 mil and 7 year term.

Habs fans reaction is mixed…shock and anger versus elation that PK was never as good as he thought and drooling over the compensation draft pucks.
    Me? I’ll still be a Habs fan but a very disillusioned fan calling for both MB’s and MT’s heads.
    That day will go down as a day similar to when Patrick Roy being driven out of town by an incompetent amateur coach.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

And the Habs match the offer … and PK stays with the Habs … Shea Weber comes to mind

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Habsrule1 says:

PK isn’t going anywhere.

Go Habs Go!!

• SmartDog says:

Are you kidding? PKs agent is going to start at 8.5 million for 8 years (if he wants to stay). Habs would be happy with 7.5 but won’t get him for that.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

22. FANHABULOUS says:

In response to BWOAR’s comment below regarding Subban:

I respectfully disagree about Subban toning his game down, and let me explain why. Subban has a skill set that most other D do not possess. I for one don’t want to see him just flip the puck off the wall like any plugger D can do… what’s the use? He’s got an advantage over everyone else, which is his gift of skating, skill and most importantly, his imagination when he has the puck… unlike others, he actually WANTS to do something creative and make something happen. To take that part of the game away from him, the thing that sets him apart from everyone else and makes him who he is, is to turn him into another average D man who just gets the puck out of his zone.

Look, guys who play it safe make less mistakes… that is obvious. But skilled, creative guys HAVE to make risky plays, thats part of the creative process. I do not want MT turning Subban into a robot defenceman who just does the safe thing to appease his coach.

____________________________________
    “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

23. montreal ace says:

Hockey is starting to become a soap opera for men, talk about drama concerning relationships and the feelings of players. In the old days when you played hurt, they were physical problems and not emotional. I think some fans would like a group hug after games, just to show things are going well in Habby land.

24. habs-hampton says:

So what happened to DD while he was in the press box? Did he grow 6 inches? put on 30 pounds? learn to skate faster? Get tougher in the corners?

The press box is like detention for a top 9 forward. You go there as punishment for not following the system or taking stupid penalties. That isn’t the problem with DD, he just can’t play at this level.

LL should have stayed on the 3rd line. He earned it.

• Ron says:

I don’t think he was there for any other reason but to appease the media and some fans. Why else would MB & MT have St-Pierre brought up and used in the spots he put him in such as the pp. One smurf for another. Almost like MT kicking sand in the media faces.

25. desertman says:

Seidenbergs hit on fiddler from last night:

Maybe the most blatant headshot i have seen all season… Obviously no suspension or hearing…

26. habsguru says:

i really hope DD does turn it around, nobody is going to take his contract, so it is the only hope. HOWEVER, going on almost a year of desperation, he sits 65 minutes. last year, Eller had 2 soft games, and then sat for 3? numbers may be a little off, but close enough to make my point. the team needs depth at centre, but he can be in the lineup and not log monster minutes/important shifts.

• Habsrule1 says:

FFS guys…the coach knows the players. What works for some may not work for others.
      A coach’s job is to get the most out of the players the GM provides him. He sat Eller. eller improved. He was hard on PK. PK won the Norris. I have no idea if Desharnais will do better after having watched a game, but that’s what the coach is banking on. It’s not like he has tons of options right now. Perhaps the coaching staff agrees that LL would benefit more from top minutes in Hamilton.

The fun part will be to see who sits when Prust is back.

Go Habs Go!!

27. CHasman says:

Glad to see the EGG line reunited. MT will probably wait till they get things going before splitting them up again. Have to love a coach with a plan.

28. Sportfan says:

TSN trying to add to the fire are they ?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Journalism at its finest… If a story is stubbornly refusing to develop, help the story materialize so you can report on it…

• habcertain says:

if this whole ice time debacle, no love approach, was a ploy to get him to accept a reduced contract, I would lose total respect for a franchise I have adored forever. he manned up and took the bridge, delivered the Norris and now have to put up with this? would be a sad day for a storied franchise, and wish PK well on his new team.

29. arcosenate says:

The question is, what does he mean by “it”?

30. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Were we not a fast puck control team that exploded out of the gate? Something has changed. Is this coaching? Just not that good of a team? Somebody that knows something about hockey help me out here.

• donmarco says:

That’s the trade off between small/big and fast/slow. Briere and DD are “useless” to many here who clamor for the big boys to play, yet when they do they freak out at how slow we are. Players like Parros and Murray can be useful assets, but their primary skill they bring is their size.

• DalEng says:

I would say NHL parity. Every team has the capability of exploding out of the gate and having a great game.

I would also say that every NHL team gets AMPED to play the habs so teams are more likely to be prepared and ready to go.

• Buzz Lightbeer says:

I just remember last year everybody,myself included,being so excited about the high tempo style hockey we were playing. Now,not so much. Is this a case of other teams figuring us out?

• jols101 says:

I found we employed that style the first 7 or 8 games. The style seemed to change as injuries piled up. It seems that we shifted to a more defensive game with shot-blocking being emphasized.

31. DalEng says:

Anyone else catch Marty Biron on TSN lastnight saying he thinks Mike Smith should start for Team Canada because of the large ice surface.

His reasoning is because he plays deeper in his net meaning he will not have to adjust his angle positioning when wingers come shooting.

Makes sense. Never thought of that. Still think Price is playing the best though

• TommyB says:

I think TSN employs too many washed-up ex-goaltenders. As does CBC.

• I wonder if, like former tough guys, former goalies are overrepresented in announcers’ booths just because they see the game so differently from other players, and tend to have — how to say — “quirky” personalities.

• Habitforming says:

You forgot that PK isn’t in Biron’s version of team Canada. The 300 or so games PK has played on Olympic sized ice doesn’t make a difference.

32. Sportfan says:

Thoughts and opinions on LL?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

The letter L is a good letter, easily capitalized from its lower case version, when doubled up it has a neat ring to it, in fact one of our regular posters uses a nice derivation of the letters as her handle here. L Elle.

• DalEng says:

I think he needs to learn how to skate.

Reminds me of my older brother skating out there, hunched over using all elbows. Too me skating like this takes power and speed out of your stride

He needs to go back to Hamilton and hit the gym hard. Would love to see him put on muscle like Lars has done. LL does some great work along the boards but with more muscle and strength he could be legit.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

All of Superman’s girlfriends had those initials as did his biggest foe.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk but … there is fighting in hockey.

• bwoar says:

Thought his time at college was so he could hit the gym, still has a long way to go. Can’t see him ever at centre. Decent board play. I think he’s still a year away from being an everyday 3rd liner, and he will likely never be anymore than that.

“thoroughbred”

• GrosBill says:

Bah, he hasn’t really wrote anything good since “mama said knock you out”.

33. Luke says:

Tootoo on waivers.

After seeing the mess of Parros and to a lesser degree White, I’m less intrigued than I was.

I’d be leary of anyone Detroit can’t find room for.

• Ali says:

not that they don’t want him, but they’re trying to make cap space for Gustav Nyquist who’s stuck in Grand Rapids because of cap constraints.

• galchenyuk27 says:

I would be more then happy to steal tootoo

• Me too. He’s a decent fill-in in case of a fourth-line injury, and even when the team’s healthy, he’ll look better in our pressbox than Detroit’s farm.

• Scratch that — just saw his cap hit. $1.9M through next season. That’s too much.

• Habsrule1 says:

So, based on 2 games since he’s been back from injury, Parros is a mess.
      White has actually played some pretty good hockey.

Thank God for pro scouts & coaches.

Go Habs Go!!

34. TommyB says:

Watching last night, I was really hoping to get a win in OT and avoid the shootout. Once we got to the shootout, I knew we were done. Our goaltending is not the issue in shootouts, but our skaters are a problem.

If you look at the way the Habs score goals, you see that they score from a scrum around the net or a blast from the point. Two things that are useless once you get to the shootout. The Habs have no players that can really be counted on in a shootout because they have no players with any of that goal-scoring flair that is required to score in a shootout. If our goaltender lets one in, we’re pretty much done unless the goaltender at the other end does the same, or worse.

Things are getting curious with the Subban handling, and other things, and we may be seeing the return of the Therrien we are used to from his last tenure behind the Habs bench. We all hope not, but as fans, we are sitting on pins and needles and expecting a dressing room revolt. I thought those days were behind us, and I hope it’s just my paranoia.

I realize we have had many injuries to roster players who we rely on, and we may be getting closer to a more complete healthy roster. But if we are still playing .500 hockey after the next dozen games I feel we can kiss any playoff thoughts goodbye. We’re in a tough division to claim a top 3 spot, that would send us directly to the playoffs. A glance over at the other Eastern Conference division tells you that a wild card entry would also be a tough chore. Actually, both wild cards could come from our own division with the Habs still on the outside.

Now, I’m not known as a negative person. But I’m not liking what I see. So my not so bold prediction is (the way it looks right now), the Habs miss the playoffs, Therrien gets canned, and the ever-continuing rebuild, well, continues. Improved play with a healthy roster could change all this, of course. However, .500 hockey will not get it done, and I don’t see any of the good teams ahead of us stumbling. Yeah I know, it’s way too early……..right?

• zephyr says:

bournival’s goal was a snipe. pleks & max have scored a few like that & gio & bourque have too.

• TommyB says:

Sure we get a few like that, but the overwhelming majority of our goals are of the type I mentioned. Did you think any of our three shootout skaters last night had any chance to score as they skated in, looking totally unsure of what they were going to do. Each one of them had “fail” written all over them the moment they took off with the puck. They just didn’t have any swagger, or look of confidence. Hey, it’s just my opinion.

• galchenyuk27 says:

I think gally looked really nervous taking first shot you could see him talking to himself. first shootout of the year though but last night we where 0-4 on penalty shot shoot outs

35. mchenske4 says:

I have a concern that George Parros will become Georges Laraque 2.0… what I mean is he’ll take on the other teams heavyweight but what if a guy like Marchand does something stupid. Will he thump him accordingly or are we back trying to decipher the enforcer’s “code”

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t have the same concern in regards to him sticking up. I do have a concern about him being put on the ice against anyone who isn’t a 4th liner. His skating is not good

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habsrule1 says:

No heavyweight will fight a guy like Marchand. If Marchand acts the fool, it’s up to Parros to pound Lucic.

Go Habs Go!!

36. Bripro says:

So the Habs scored on a shot from the point, but because Parros chose that exact moment to scrap it out (for nothing), the goal was disallowed.
    Then Plex gets the penalty shot and cleanly beats Halak but the puck deflects off the shaft of his stick.
    Who’s the better goaltender now?

• The Jackal says:

Oh man, that was terrible luck.
      We won that game, or tied, whatever. An SO loss does not really count for much.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• habcertain says:

I think it went off his blocker, Pleks and breakaways/pen shots are not a creative mix.

• mark-ID says:

went off his stick. You can see it, if you watch the replay.

• savethepuck says:

I have PVR, watched it in slo-mo, and the angle TSN showed from behind the net clearly showed Halak was beaten and it went off the shaft of his stick. I 100% guarantee it

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• I think the only reason that shot even got off was because most of the players had stopped to watch the staged fight.

I don’t like staged fights, either, but I don’t think it’s fair to pin that one on Parros.

DDonais

• mksness says:

the whistle went before the shot was taken

a save is a save. i don’t see you saying that price was “beat” on the stewart shot that hit prices toe and went out, nah it was a great reactionary save

give halak some credit he’s a good goalie already and played well on breakaways. he challenged all the shooters forcing them to to pick tough shots.

37. Bim says:

Wow! Too bad LL. I guess 3.5 mil speaks louder than $800,00. I can hear the wheels spinning from here.

38. bwoar says:

Elliotte Friedman is right, frankly. Whatever MT says, it’s not up to him who plays for Team Canada.

I don’t think anyone in the hockey world thinks P.K. should be left to his own devices, without a strong coaching influence. He’s got unbelievable physical gifts, but he still needs help thinking the game.

There are Norris trophies and Norris trophies. The kid is still trying too hard to bring the flash instead of letting it flow naturally. Still doing six things, 2-3 of them wrong, on plays when 1 smart decision would do. This happens a few times a game, and is *normal* for a guy still progressing. He just isn’t thinking the game on a level with his athleticism and it shows, nightly. It’s covered up by a massive powerplay shot, wicked skating, and hard hits that are very telegraphed.

I may be the only one here on the fence vis a vis PK being at the Olympics, but I’m not sold, and I’m not surprised that his coach is taking such great pains to teach him. I don’t think PK will walk because of this, just the opposite. The kind of man he’s turning into in the face his detractors – I think he will appreciate the improvements in his game, and thank the coach for making him a better player. Better person, I don’t know what that means. But useful improvements in his game? Any young professional would appreciate that. PK seems like a teachable guy, and a great competitor. I don’t think he’s the kind of baby who will cry about not playing for 4 minutes in this or that game, or not killing penalties etc. etc. He’s not a spoiled child. Maybe some of the posters here are projecting how they themselves would act in his shoes, and thinking that PK will do the same. Somehow I doubt he will.

“thoroughbred”

• The Jackal says:

Agree, almost 100%
      The only thing I disagree with is that I think PK should be a lock. He can play a disciplined game and the Team Canada environment would be conducive to that.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

+76

• Bim says:

I agree. Despite all that has been said on this site. PK isn’t going anywhere and when all is said and done when the Habs throw a whole pile of money at him..he’ll be staying.

• mdp2011 says:

Agree 100%. I posted something similar on Monday.

• donmarco says:

I’ve said this before but I have NO problem with PK not playing for Canada. Close to half the Habs roster are slated to play for their respective countries which could lead to injuries or, more likely, a post-Olympic letdown just before the final push to the playoffs. While I am a very proud Canadian, I am also a very proud fan of the Habs, and I think I’d rather celebrate some playoff success than a gold medal (which we’d be just as capable of winning without PK).

• habcertain says:

the flaw in your theory is Therrien cannot help anyone “thinking” the game of hockey since his own level is limited, this was proven in Pit when Blysma took virtually the same team to a Cup win after MT lost the room. PK needs to hone his game not change it, which is what Therrien’s trying to do, big mistake.

• galchenyuk27 says:

Pk will be on the team no doubt mike babchock will want him there. Just think of the things that pk can learn from an elite coach like him hopefully pk doesn’t like him to much though. lol

39. B says:

I was wondering what happened to Ian Schultz and found he is now playing for the Arizona Sundogs who occupy the basement of the Central Hockey League. I dug a bit to find more about the Central Hockey League and discovered they used to have a team from Georgia called the, wait for it… Macon Whoopee (I kid you not).

–Go Habs Go!–

40. DipsyDoodler says:

Dear Commentariat:

A few weeks ago all we needed to start winning games (even though we actually were winning games but let’s skip that part) was bench DD and Briere and bring back Murray and Parros.

That was the solution.

Get rid of DD and Briere and have Murray clear the crease and Parros beat up opponents.

• The Jackal says:

Guess that shows how much the angry HIO masses know :P

But in all seriousness, we do need more toughness rather than players like Briere and DD. However, they can contribute and we are better off with them doing so rather than being absent.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Steeltown Hab says:

If they’re absent, we have better players in the lineup. I see no issue with having Bournival and Leblanc take those roster spots.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

41. Mattyleg says:

DD is of no use to the Habs in the Press-Box.
    He hopefully got a better perspective up there, which he’ll be able to bring to the game.
    The idea was never to leave him up there; it was a ‘Teachable Moment’.

If he doesn’t improve in the next few games, however, leaving him up there might be exactly what they do.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• krob1000 says:

I heard he was useless up there, made several paper airplanes that couldn’t fly 12 feet even when thrown out the pressbox, drowned his hotdog in ketchup? and wore an ugly suit he hadn’t had hemmed. It was a terrible performance and he clearly learned nothing. I believe they have given up on him up there and instead have decided to just make him play hockey again….that damn MT.

• mdp2011 says:

Exactly. Like it or not, the Habs are stuck with DD because of his contract. So putting him on the 4th line doesn’t help the Habs in any way. They need to put him in a position where there is a possibility that he can succeed.

• Steeltown Hab says:

They have, plenty of times he’s failed, Habs are best when he’s in the pressbox if we have a healthy lineup, I don’t think many would contest that.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• zephyr says:

benching worked for eller last yr.. dd was hustling when he played. he’s just in a slump. hope he gets some points next game.
      too bad murray had that 1 miscue. he was pretty solid after that. we’re gonna need his muscle in the playoffs when things get ugly again.

42. commandant says:

So DD and Moen back to the lineup I guess….

The trouble with Desharnais

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• krob1000 says:

Trouble with DD…..he palyed one game a week or so ago where he was all over th ice, skating like mad…that was the only time I have seen him play like the old DD since early last year. HE needs to play like Gllagher and always be skating to be effective.

43. The Jackal says:

Crazy trade idea, just building on one I saw below.

Pleks, Gorges, Beaulieu, 1st rounder, 2nd rounder
    for
    Giroux, Coburn, Simmonds

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

44. ClutchNGrab says:

From John Lu’s twitter account:
    Therrien: “I will not comment on the icetime of any player,” when questioned about Subban not getting late game minutes vs. STL

However, throwing a player under the bus after a game is not an issue.

Here’s the weird thing, how can you try to convince Subban to play MT’s style of hockey by trying to link his “poor play” with ice time, when that same “poor play” puts him first in scoring in the Habs lineup?

• shiram says:

John Lu ‏@JohnLuTSNMtl 19m
      2/2 #Habs Therrien admitted that Subban played “a hell of a game for us… exactly what we needed from him.”

• Steeltown Hab says:

From day 1 it’s always about Therrien showing he controls Subban. Instead of waking up everyday and being grateful to have a player who will keep him employed longer than he deserves.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• donmarco says:

If management is seeing something the rest of us don’t see I can accept that. They’re supposed to. But how do you expect a player to improve on these apparent weaknesses without giving him the opportunity to do so. I have not made a single comment about the PK/MT thing but its getting harder to ignore.

• habcertain says:

the problem is Therrien is blind, to a lot of things.

• donmarco says:

He doesn’t work in a vacuum. As far as I can tell they’re 2 assistant coaches behind the bench too, not to mention Bergevin who is there for every home game. If there was any sense Therrien was “ruining” PK it would be stopped.

• habcertain says:

every coach gets enough rope….. if MB steps in now he undermines the coach by telling him who to play, its not about ruining PK, he is going to succeed somewhere, doesn’t have to be here though. if Therrien continues on this path, MB needs to make a decision, and I suspect it isn’t just about PK, we have a lot of gifted kids (thinking of Chucky) and if Therrien can’t facilitate their talent/game he is gone, it exactly what happened in PIT with their plethora of young talent.

• Ron in Ottawa says:

When MB arrived he talked about his plan of building a long term cup contender built around players like Price, Patches and PK. So now PK’s bridge contract is about to expire and MT keeps publicly putting him down. what ever happened to “It’s all about the team.” I think if MB doesn’t’ step in soon, PK will sign a 2 year contract under arbitration with the Habs because he has to an RFA, then he’ll be gone and we’ll spend the next 15 years talking about those magnificent teams in the 50′s, 60′s and 70′s. Wake up MB!

• donmarco says:

As far as I can see his plan is shaping up the way he said it would, but not as fast as people would like. For the first time in a long time we have a young core of very promising players that could form the nucleus for a long run as an elite team. I have not seen or heard a single negative comment, or sign, from Subban, and I doubt very much he’ll give up 2 years at 8 million a year because the coach is mean to him. C’mon.

• krob1000 says:

The Canadiens got 1 powerplay the entire game, PK was hurt for the second time late in the game…he still played 21 minutes. He plays prety well entire pp’s. If the team had one more pp….he plays 21 mintues and out cetimes both Gorges and Diaz. If the team had 3 powerplays which is about average it isn;t even close….mountains out of mole hills.
      Pk played the entire 2 min pp I believe in the dying minutes. Diaz also played a very good game. I am not sure if Pk was hurt or what but he did not look like himself…for wall we know he was hurt and has a frigging cold (if youthinkt hat is no big deal bnext time you get a simple head clod try sprinting 40 times over a 2 and half housr period for anywhere between 35-50 seconds. It is hard enough healthy. Also factor in Montreal did spend too much time in their own end which is both phsycially and mentally draining.
      All of these thigs add up to a a bunch of people making too much out hardly anything…we are talking 5 minutes…if PKwas in teh doghouse woul dhe have been on that pp witht eh game on the line?

• habcertain says:

Diaz did not play a good game, he continually was pushed off the puck in his own end, and coughed up a few lollies in fear of trying to move it out of his end, won’t even start on Murray, can see why no one was in a rush to sign him.

• krob1000 says:

Ithought it was one of Diaz’s strongest games and would argue he was the best dman outthere for last night. He made several great plays defensively, he also blocked 5 shots (2nd only to Murray), he knocked several bigger guys off pucks too but you aren’t counting those I see. He also finished a plus one and had he ht the net on that clapper he would have been first star of the game IMO. The Blues were kept to teh outside for the most part and did no damage off the rush as the D were able to kep them to the outside.

The D in a passive defensvie scheme like Montreal runs cannot hit unless they are sure to eliminate and sure they will have support. They instead concede the outside and maintain inside position. A guy like MUrray? he will hit because it is pretty certain he will eliminate. The coach has even mentioned as much to PK in 24ch where he called him in to the room for making that type of hit. As for Diaz being knocked off the puck…I saw Pk and Markov get knocked off too….that happnes it is forechecking well done.

• habcertain says:

the reason we give up the outside is our inability of small d-men to retrieve the puck to make a clearing pass, the last 5 games have consisted the other teams offensive swirling the puck around on the perimeter until a opportunity presents itself, if not for the play of Price/Budaj, these games are nowhere near being close. Diaz is a turnover machine which is kind of funny now that he is being heralded as a defensive wizard when it was is offensive abilities that got him into the league. I could have stopped that slapshot…he is in danger of not making the Swiss team, just kidding about that one.

45. WindsorHab-10 says:

There is a shocker from Therrien that DD is back on Thursday.

Hey Bergevin, get off ur lazy ass & ditch the 2 useless tools in your shed.

46. punkster says:

I asked this after I returned from the game last night. I’d like anyone who has a serious response and some hockey sense to respond please.

What hockey skills does Murray possess?

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• gumper says:

He has no hockey skills, but needs no improvement as a human being.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

• donmarco says:

Was in the top 20 last year in blocked shots. Usually among his team leader in hits, and clears the crease of players trying to screen the goalie. He was also known as one of the slowest skaters in the NHL, and always has been. He is what he is.

• donmarco says:

People tend to forget, but there was a reason why he was available despite many teams needing defensive improvements. If he’s used properly he can be an asset, but will also be a liability many times.

• krob1000 says:

he led team with 8 blocked last night…next closest was other resident whipping boy Diaz…who had 5 and finished plus 1 and played a great game.

• donmarco says:

I don’t get the people who thought Murray was a saviour, he’s not. And I don’t get the hate on for Diaz either.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep, big body, physical presence.
        Used in his own zone he can block shots and clear the crease.

Unfortunately he has a tendency to pinch, which means that he usually makes it back to his own zone in time for the puck-drop after the opposition scores.

But if he can overcome that aspect, he’s not a bad #6, as Gill was (Gill > Murray).

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• donmarco says:

I don’t think I ever saw Gill pinch once the whole time he was here so I don’t get why Murray would, unless that’s the game plan the coaches want. He can be a defensive asset but shouldn’t even be crossing centre ice, that’s not his game at all.

• Mattyleg says:

It happened very rarely.
            And this is because Gill’s a vet who no longer has a ‘Guts for Glory’ attitude.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• galchenyuk27 says:

what would you think if murray played wing for a game like they did in sj with burns. Big body in front of the next pushing other bodies out there own crease could be interesting

• mdp2011 says:

What an awful skater, one of the worst skaters I have ever seen playing in the NHL. He makes Hal Gill look like the road runner.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Character and respek

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• jamman says:

Seriously. Price playing his second game against Halak since the trade, the W would have been a huge boost for his confidence. He already made some amazing saves early then Murray completely screws him over. Also he gave up a 3 on 1 in the second after attempting to make a hit… thank god Bouillon saved his ass.

Send him down call Tinordi up. At least he can skate.

• PeterD says:

Skills set:
      Skates like a zamboni.
      Stickhandles like he’s using a broom.
      Blocks shots cause he can’t move fast enough to get out of the way.
      Clears players from the crease…if he’s standing right beside them…
      Helps raise teams shot blocking stat cause he can’t get the puck out.

Seriously, what I see with Dougla Murray is a guy that is all heart and very diminished skill…I see a guy who wants to contribute but hasn’t figured out he should retire with some grace and dignity.
      I see a guy that if he is going to play…should get a chair and stay seated if front of our net…he reminds me of some Tom Thumb Tim Bits players that need a pylon so they can get their balance on their skates.

Best line from a commetariate member last night something like…”that’s two bad shifts for Murray, maybe he has his skates on the wrong feet”…just about spit my tequila out when I read that one.

Sorry to have been so hard on the guy…I am usually more forgiving and positive…but to keep him in the line up over Tinordi is the most incompetent decision I have seen from a GM.

47. haberman says:

if you put DD with Crosby Stamkos and Ovechkin it still wouldn’t help.
    DD has ZERO talent, is a smurf and can’t stay upright on his skates.
    does he wear cheesecutters?
    send that talentless minor leaguer permanently to Hamilton.
    too bad Bergevin wasted his $$ on DD and Briere.
    can we also send Bergevin to the minors to learn how to become a GM?

48. mark-ID says:

I know it has been said before, but Galchenyuk really needs to come up with another shootout move. It has been stopped the last couple of times now. NHL goalies are too good not to adapt to that kind of repitition.
    Considering how skilled he is, you would think he would have something else up his sleeve.

On that note, we still have terrible penalty shot shooters. Most of them just shoot. No one seems to have any good dekes, like the Oshie one last night.

• gumper says:

I think he should stick with the standard move. If he used anything out of the ordinary, MT might have to put him on a program to improve him as a player and a human being.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

• habs12 says:

Made the comment last night. He literally has not tried any other move since he came to the Habs (including the World Hockey Championships — although he scored twice with it). He has a great shot, you would think he would use it.

49. Will Longlade says:

IMO, the Habs are doing OK, despite all the consternation. But, the team, as presently molded, isn’t built for the playoffs. Does anyone else share my opinion that the Habs should dangle Pacioretty? He could be shopped with DD as a package (that could include other pieces). I realize this idea will be controversial, but IMO it’s the type of bold move needed to take the team to the next level.

50. Propwash says:

LeBlanc and St.Pierre sent back = Prust and Moen nearing their return?

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

51. monmick says:

I don’t think this has been tried yet this year, but what about playing DD with the 2 Gallys to get him out of his funk? If that doesn’t work, at least we will know that it’s a lost cause…

I wouldn’t try it against Ottawa, though.

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• krob1000 says:

I would like him to play with Patches and Gallagher( to see what real work is and get himmoving his feet again) to try and get something going. I think the time has come to split the ttwo Gally’s. Eller with Galchenyuk and Bourque, Leave Pleks line alone. Either is fine I guess…and either should be enough to get Dd going.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

To get DD out of his funk, you ship him to Hamilton with his closet lover Therrien. And keep them there. Case closed.

So Galchenyuk experiment at center has ended? Wow, Therrien sure gave him as much chance as he gave to DD. What a clusterf#$k.

53. Mattyleg says:

Hey Everyone,
    I am part of the NHL’s Fan Survey Panel, and I answer questionnaires from time to time that they send me.

This way I can actually let my opinion be known about certain things. It’s by no means an open forum, but I can at least have SOME input..

They need people to join, and from a survey a little while back, there were very few Habs fans doing the surveys. Click this link and sign up! The surveys only take 3 minutes to do, generally.

Cheers!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• donmarco says:

Just did. Not exactly sure why, probably because you asked so nicely.

• Luke says:

They just Therriened me!

Thank you so much for your interest in joining the NHL Fan Face Off community!

Your opinion is very important to us, but unfortunately we have had a very strong response from people just like you and are not currently accepting new members. We will need more people to join our community in the future and we hope you will remain interested in joining when space opens up.

54. Mick says:

DD must be have learned his lesson well. He is back with Patches and Bourque. I am now sure that Therrien does not have a clue on how to coach this team. What the F….. was the point of sitting DD for one game.
    Therrien new DD would not be able to match up against the Blues.
    Why put him back in so soon???
    What the F is up with PK and Therrien???
    I am going to go crazy watching this coach screw this team and play the favourite game all season long.
    DD sucks, so shelter him with the two biggest wingers on the club. Patches and Bourque must be thrilled.

55. SterlingRod says:

Hey at this point, why not put Galchenyuk at centre and Eller on the wing? Eller can do it, and if 27 is the future…

56. gordon bombay says:

To PHI = Plekanec, Gorges, 1st Round Pick

To MTL = Giroux, Coburn

57. HabsFansince49 says:

I don’t know. It’s hard to know what to believe because everything is filtered through the media. However it appears that the awful signings of DD and Briere may not be Bergevin’s worst mistakes. The choice of Therrien as head coach may well be. I don’t think the Habs are a cup contender, but unless the present team esp the younger guys are properly nurtured and developed, all the inaugural rhetoric of Geoff Molson to proclaim the new winning era after the Gauthier debacle may be just that – rhetoric and not reality.

58. habs-fan-84 says:

Back to the original lines. Good times.

59. Maritime Ronn says:

A question for HIO so I can better understand:

The Habs PP has been excellent this year and ranks 4th in the NHL.

With the one PP the Habs had last night, the chosen forwards to start were Galchenyuk-Gallagher-Max.
    Surely all would be fine with that.

Here is where the question marks arise.

After 39 seconds of the PP, Gallagher goes to the bench to be replaced by…St. Pierre, who ended up playing 1:09 of that one and only PP. ( he was joined by Eller and Bourque with 40 seconds left in the PP.)

Up to that 14:00 minute mark of the 3rd period, St.Pierre had played a little over 8 minutes with 0 shots on goal.

How is it possible that a guy like St. Pierre was chosen over Bournival or Gionta in a tie game where a goal would have won it?

– Did MT forget that St.Pierre had not played an NHL game since Jan 12th/2010?
    – Did MT forget that St.Pierre had scored a grand total of 3 goals in 39 NHL games played since 2005/06?

Can someone please explain?

• Walmyr says:

Sorry MR…

Only MT can answer that question…and I think he doesn’t follow HIO. Otherwise you wouldn’t have to do this question…
      CHeers

• krob1000 says:

Sorry I answered on other thread…this is what I belive happened. Pleks line was just on ice and was tired. He went with Galchenyuk line, next he had Eller line, Bourque was playing well, trying to get Eller going..he had a choice between St Pierre and LEblanc. St Pierre excels offensively and MT was giving him his shot. Had Pleks line been rested they likely end up on the ice for the pp. Team also used timeout earlier in game.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi krob

No argument with Eller-Bourque, but a very slightly tired Bournival-Gionta had to be a better choice that St.Pierre

And when the penalty was called, yes Plex, Gionta and Bournival were on the ice, yet for a very short time

Plex: 32 seconds
        Gionta: 21 seconds
        Bournival: 32 seconds

Gionta or Bournival could easily have taken the spot of St.Pierre.

• krob1000 says:

Hi Maritime…I coach a 3 line team and run into these predicaments all the time…you are not considering the next shift after the pp. IT was late in the 3rd…the fourth line gave up the tying goal and will not see the ice again. Galchenyuk played first wave, Eller line gets second..choice between Leblanc and St Pierre (that was his judgement call) If he breaks up Pleks line he is now playing a line with no history together in the shift after a pp with 4 mins to go in a tied game against a top team. MT made the right call. As it stood he had a rested Pleks line to play together the shift after the pp.

Also have to consider factors we can’t see…he can see who is breathing heavy, etc. He also has to be looking ahead to conserving his guys who will be used in the faster paced 4 on 4 as well. That is where I have a bit of an issue…I thought the players stayed on way too long for that point in the game…virtually every 4 on 4 unit overextended their stays IMO.

• montreal ace says:

Thats a good explanation,I was going to write he just had a gut feeling lol

• danimal72 says:

Maybe he thought the 57 on St Pierre’s jersey was Patches 67 and sent the wrong guy out. One can hope…

60. Habfan10912 says:

I realize I’m a little off today but doesn’t it seem odd that one player went from the pressbox to a top six role while another went from playing on a pivitol power play late in a game to the minors.
    Seems really odd to me.

Seems like a coach without a clue just throwing crap against the wall.

61. Price07 says:

I can’t stand the coach and even Bergevin is losing my confidence. This is what happens when you choose form a smaller talent pool then the other 29 teams. Complete crap, I can’t believe this is what we get for being such high paying suckers of fans.

My generation has never seen a good habs team, we saw Roy leave right as we started really getting into hockey, and for what? For some looney toon coach? I’m so angry right now.

62. nbsjfan says:

So where is the media in all this PK Subban controversy? Has anyone asked MT just what the hell he’s doing? I’d like to see a little pressure put on him. This crap has to end sooner rather than later.

63. krob1000 says:

Anyone notice who the teams top goalscorer is in Hamilton? Tarnasky with 5!

Elliots 30 thoughts.

15. Everyone in Montreal needs to take a deep breath. Does anyone really believe that Canadiens head coach Michel Therrien’s lack of public praise for PK Subban will cost him a spot on Canada’s Olympic team? If Therrien wakes up tomorrow and says, “You know what, I’m going to call Subban the best defenceman in the NHL,” suddenly Team Canada GM Steve Yzerman and head coach Mike Babcock are going to say, “Oh my God, we better put him on the roster!” Somehow, I’m betting Yzerman and Babcock will make that decision independently of Therrien’s quotes.

16. As for Subban, has anyone faced more criticism in the last three seasons – and not all of it of his own creation – than him? Yet he strikes me as almost unbothered. Therrien used the velvet glove with David Desharnais, keeping the centre in the lineup longer than many other coaches would have. Maybe he realizes that some guys need to be stroked and some guys need to be pushed.

65. Steeltown Hab says:

Until this french BS ends we’ll never have consistent success with coaching and management.

How international soccer teams can have head coaches from other countries but MTL is different blows my mind.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Mattyleg says:

…because the Montreal Canadiens are an international team…?

And it’s French-Canadian, not French.
      And Quebec isn’t a different country (yet).

You’re funny.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

…and no one would be complaining if the RIGHT coach had been hired.

• Steeltown Hab says:

I have an issue with that Philosophy, limiting your talent pool. I’d be happy with Roy sure but it wouldn’t change my view on anything.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• The Jackal says:

This whole “french” BS is annoying and wrong, and those who complain about it, really have no clue.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Mattyleg says:

It’s not something that comes up often in Montreal, but it’s a favourite flogging-post for our friends in the Rest of Canada.

(Ontario and Alberta in particular, and for obvious reasons)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Steeltown Hab says:

The best candidate should get the position, period. How can one ever argue that?

Imagine Mike Babcock wants to coach the habs but doesn’t speak french (a language barely any of his players even speak) and somehow can’t get the position. It’s laughable.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Steeltown Hab says:

I used an international team as an extreme example to show how dumb it is. Surely they should have more emphasis on culture than the habs.

You think any pro-teams in europe require a coach of a specific nationality?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

66. shiram says:

DD back playing with the Habs best and biggest wingers. No gradual re-insertion, no 3rd line minutes so he can work his way back up!
    Nope give him the best guys and pray that works.

Chucky only got one game at C, and granted it was not his best performance, but I’d still try to give some minutes at C, even if it means playing DD on the wings….

• Steeltown Hab says:

This was the obvious conclusion that was coming, not saying I agree with it.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

67. Garbo says:

Can anyone explain why a penalty shot was awarded? I haven’t seen an explanation anywhere, other than arguments re: who was allowed to take it.

68. habsfan0 says:

I guess DD’s banishment to the press box lasted 1 game.
    Hope he loaded up on the hot dogs.

69. JM says:

MT Must have coached somewhere with JM don’t know how to put lines together maybe I can be of some help.

Galchenyuk Plekanec Gallagher

Bournival Eller Gionta

Pacioretty Desharnais Bourque

Moen White Parros/Prust

Do this you’ll have a better chance at defeating Ottawa or keep moving up in the Loss-Column …

• The Juice says:

I like MT’s better. The EGG line has been strong all year, why break it up? the Desharnais line is of a similar make up to the one that dominated 2 years ago. Plex and Gio work well together.

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• Stevie.Ray says:

Puttwo of best offensive wingers that are still liable for defensive breakdowns with the center who plays the most in the defensive zone.

Put our best scorer on the third line.

I like it.

So DD gets a chance to draw back in. He also gets two big wingers to play with. He got a chance to watch the game from on high, you never know even something as simple as that can help. I have heard other players talk about how while they weren’t happy being in the press box, it was a chance to watch how the plays are developing and often this can help sink in what the coach is preaching.

Also, DD got some rest, just in case he had some little knock on him as some people were alluding to.

BUT, now the question is: If after having received the opportunity to eat Hot Dogs while watching his teammates doesn’t help him produce results, what will be the next step?

I hope he plays a strong game against Ottawa, as this is in the organizations best interests that our skilled players, play well.

Time will tell, but how much time is required…..?

71. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I think D is definitely the team’s biggest need. Solid in net and scoring by committee seems to be working (still have to prove it in the playoffs, though).

Markov – Subban
    Emelin – ?
    Gorges – ?
    Boullion

I haven’t been impressed much by Murray, but I’m not opposed to him being in that sixth/seventh spot — or atl east getting some more games under his belt before I write him off totally. He definitely brings a much needed physical edge (that PK last night where he kept the puck on the boards for almost 30 seconds was great). What we’re really missing is one more bonafide top 4 guy. Gorges is a warrior, but he’s a good 5-6 guy, that’s it.

• gumper says:

I imagine those question marks will soon be replaced with the likes of Tinordi and Beaulieu. I’m still in favour of the semi-intentional tank this year, so put the kids in now. When we get another high draft pick next summer we can go at the rebuild full bore and reasonably expect positive results.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

• krob1000 says:

How about
      Markov-Emelin
      Gorges-PK
      Diaz-Murray/Bouillon

I know I am the only who belives we should split the pairing of PK and Markov but I thinkt he team needs to have one of them on the ice for 45 plus minutes per game to help move thepuck. They are both lethal in transition and there is only one puck out there. This gives one puck mover per pair, one bone crusher per pair, one stay at home guy per pair and allows the team to have one of its best tow players on teh ice for nearly the whole game. I really do not understand the rationale of keeping PK with Markov long term.

Other option would be Markov-Diaz, Pk-Emelin, Gorges-Murray/Bouillon. The Canadiens are extremely short on right handed dmen….Diaz and Pk being the only ones who are on the radar for this year. Even Beaulieu and TInordi are leties…Pateryn is right but he is the 10th or 11 guy right now

• lakechamplain says:

Not a rant about Carey Price; overall he’s been solid and kept games close that might have gotten out of hand. We don’t have anyone available that could come close to his performance. That said, let me make a tennis analogy: teaching pro who played the junior circuit told me years ago that there’s very little difference among the top 20 players but the key delineator is which of them play the big points better. Need some person really into stats here: when was the last time the Canadiens won a shootout? And what has CP’s record been in games the last year and this in games that have gone to overtime/shootout? I would suggest that might be a probelm, acknowledging that it would be most helpful if the Habs had some players who could score during the extra sessions.

72. joshua94k says:

With the extremely bad coaching demonstrated by Therrien this season, should the Canadiens send him down to the Bulldogs and call up the Hamilton coach.

The coaching can’t worse…

“I want to kill somebody cutting across the blue line and I want to score the goal and celebrate. And I’ll do it by any means possible to win a hockey game. That’s how I feel playing there (the Bell Centre). I am not sure I have that feeling anywhere else.” – PK Subban

73. Steeltown Hab says:

Another Gem of an article if re: Therriens use of Subban.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

74. Kooch7800 says:

I like the kids back together but I would have liked Chucky to get more of a shot at centre.

DD with two big wingers….hopefully that helps get some offense going

ps.

First Biatch

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

75. The Jackal says:

I thought you wanted to win!
    No PK, no cup!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

76. galchenyuk27 says:

are you high

77. GrosBill says:

Hard to argue with that…..

78. Cal says:

How long you gonna wait, oldtimer? Until he has 1 point in 25 or 30 games? DD just isn’t that good and has been easily handled by all the other teams the Habs have faced this season.

79. Mr. Biter says:

No job in professional sports is safe and no one is expendable

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

80. A. Berke says:

Now! now! Timo, I’m old :)
    but OK! sometimes older folks’ judgement can be clouded on occasion, though I’m not saying his has.

cheers,

Ali B.

81. Cal says:

DD needs AHL wingers in the AHL. He’s done SFA for a long time and yet they give him chance after chance. One fluke year shouldn’t skew what he is: an under-sized center that isn’t particularly fast, doesn’t have a good shot and can’t fight for the puck.

82. Cal says:

@ oldtimerguy

Just to let you know, Mr. Assumption, I am French Canadian.
    And another thing. Watch when he plays tomorrow how often he is beaten to and knocked off the puck. MT and MB want him to do well because of that stupid contract they signed him to and they don’t want to admit that they were dead wrong..