St. Patrick’s Day at Bell Centre; Habs send Bournival to Hamilton for conditioning

Avalanche a perfect fit for Patrick Roy – and vice-versa: Stubbs column

Coming off back-to-back weekend victories over the Ottawa Senators and Buffalo Sabres, the Canadiens held an optional practice at noon Monday in Brossard. Meanwhile, St. Patrick held court at the Bell Centre downtown.

All three goalies – Carey Price, Peter Budaj and Dustin Tokarski - took part in the practice along with Rene Bourque, George Parros, Ryan White, Alex Galchenyuk, Brendan Gallagher, Dale Weise, Jarred Tinordi, Douglas Murray and Michael Bournival.

Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin announced after practice that Bournival has been assigned to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs for conditioning. Bournival has been sidelined since Feb. 6 with a concussion, missing 11 games. Bournival will be in the Bulldogs’ lineup Wednesday when they play host to the Abbotsford Heat.

In 50 games with the Canadiens this season, the 21-year-old Bournival has 6-7-13 totals and 14 penalty minutes. He spent all last season in Hamilton, posting 10-20-30 totals and 26 penalty minutes in 69 games.

Bournival was selected by the Colorado Avalanche in the third round (71st overall) of the 2010 NHL entry draft and was acquired by the Canadiens later that year in exchange for defenceman Ryan O’Byrne, who is now playing for Prague Lev in the KHL.

On Sunday night in Buffalo, Tokarski got the call in goal for the Canadiens instead of Budaj and made 29 saves for his first NHL shutout in a 2-0 victory. Price, who earned the victory Saturday against the Senators, didn’t make the trip to Buffalo.

“Obviously, I would like to play,” Budaj told reporters after practice. “The coach is going to decide whose playing and if it is me I’ll be ready to help the team to try to climb in the standings and keep climbing.”

Budaj has an 8-8-2 record this season with one shutout, a 2.50 goals-against average and a .907 save percentage.

When Budaj was asked in a media scrum Monday if he felt he had coach Michel Therrien’s full confidence, the goaltender said: “I think so. I’m doing everything I can. There’s stuff that I can control. … My work ethic, my preparation, my time when I get a chance to play when they decided to play me. That’s what I’m trying to do. So I think so. They make the decisions whose playing and I’m just going to control the stuff that I have in my hands.”

Tokarski was asked if he felt he’s created a good impression overall in his three appearances with the Habs, posting a 2-0-0 record with a 1.84 goals-against average and .946 save percentage.

“I hope so,” he said. “That’s what you want to do, you get an opportunity you try and seize it. I think I’ve played well and did a good job and hopefully can continue doing that.

“It was time for me to take another step in my career and I definitely think this is it, whether I play another game or not this season,”  the 24-year-old added. “It was a great step and look to build off it for the rest of the season and next year.”

The Canadiens announced late Monday afternoon that Tokarski had been assigned to the Bulldogs.

Therrien didn’t speak with the media on Monday.

While the Canadiens were practising in Brossard, Colorado head coach Patrick Roy was putting the Avalanche through a practice at the Bell Centre.

The Canadiens will face the Avalanche Tuesday night (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690) in Roy’s first appearance at the Bell Centre as the Avalanche’s head coach.

Roy, in his rookie season behind an NHL bench, is a leading candidate to win the Jack Adams Award as the league’s top coach. After finishing with the second-worst record in the NHL last season (16-25-7), the Avalanche has a 44-19-5 record this season and sits second in the Central Division standings.

When asked by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs during a press conference Monday at the Bell Centre whether he had looked up at his No. 33 hanging from the rafters during practice, Roy said: “I forgot. See how focused I am for the game?”

Roy then said he was just kidding and added: “I made sure it was there with no dust on it.”

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

You can watch what Roy had to say on Monday at the Bell Centre here: (Video by Pierre Obendrauf/The Gazette)

Price focuses on Avs’ scorers, getting his timing back in net by Brenda Branswell

Habs Notebook, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Habs sweep weekend, move into second place, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Tokarski doesn’t have time for pregame jitters, by Pat Hickey

Tokarski delivers Montreal bagel, Canadiens.com

Looking back on 20 years of sports columns, by Jack Todd

St. Patrick’s Day in Montreal for Roy, Stu on Sports blog

Subban starts his own website, Stu on Sports blog

All Things Avs, Denver Post

Sens-ational win for Avalanche, coloradoavalanche.com

1. CJ says:

Just adding one last comment to bump us over 666.

Go Habs!

2. Jocko says:

I became a Habs fan when I was five, in 1980. I started following them because it was the favorite team of my older friends. I showed my true colours in the summer of grade one, as my mom bought me a school bag with then canucks on it. I told her there was no way I was going to use that! Suffice to say, I went to school with a completely different bag. Guys like Robinson, Lafleur, Mondeau, Shutt, Naslund, Gainey, were just some of my favorites. I remember the trade that sent Jarvis and Langway to Washington, thinking who the bleep are Walter and Green? That one confused me. 1986 was a graet year, loved the series against the Rangers and Beezer. Made a lot of people unhappy early the next morning, going throughout the community cheering with my friends on our bikes. I was ecstatic, and the puppy love became true love. Roy was my and is my all time favorite. 1993 almost saw a handful of us get a little visit from the police for disturbing the peace, went a little overboard sticking it to leaf fans! My love affair with the habs is monumental, so happy to be part of the greatest fan base on the planet we call earth!!!

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

3. hansolo says:

If we’re still sharing about we became Habs fans, I became one during the ’70 – ’71 season. I had just moved to Canada and, as a 15 year old, was desperate to become assimilated into my new country. We lived in Ottawa, so the Rough Riders, the Montreal Expos and the Canadiens were my teams. It wasn’t hard to root for the Rough Riders – Russ Jackson (although he no longer played) had led them to a Grey Cup just a couple of years before and they were a good team. Nor was it hard to become an Expos fan – they had Le Grand Orange, Rusty Staub. We had no TV but what hooked me were the Radio Canada announcers of Jacques Doucet and Jean Pierre Roy. They were really good, as good as Dave Van Horne and Duke Snider.

The Canadiens were actually the hardest team to root for initially. They had missed the playoffs the previous year (’69 – ’70). In ’70 -’71, under an Anglophone coach (Al McNeil), they were but a shadow of their former selves by their standards. (By today’s standards they were still an awesome team). Sam Pollock traded for Frank Mahovlich during the season, and also made sure he got the first pick in the next draft (which would be Guy Lafleur). Rene Lecavalier and Gilles Tremblay drew me in just as much as Jacques and Jean-Pierre had. In the first round of the playoffs, the Canadiens were up against the Bruins of Esposito, Orr, Bucyk, Cashman and Stanfield. They had scored a record number of goals during the regular season, and had a PP that clicked at over 20%, very good in those days. No-one gave the Habs a chance (certainly not me), especially when McNeil decided to start a minor-league goaltender, with 6 games of NHL experience under his belt, against them. You may have heard of him – his name was Ken Dryden.

Well, the rest was history. I was hooked, irrevocably. I have never cheered for another team although I briefly lost interest for a few years after Houle traded Roy (that was waaay worse than the McDonagh trade). I could not believe how incompetent the Habs had become with Houle and Tremblay (2 of my heroes!). I came back when Gainey became GM. Like you, I dream of the Habs hoisting another Cup in my lifetime.

4. Habfun says:

Great posts by everyone sharing their Habs stories.
    Thank you they are very enlightening! Cool!

It’s all about the CH

5. C-Sword says:

Bourque will make his presence felt in the playoffs. Just wait and see.

• CJ says:

In his defence, I thought he was our best forward against Ottawa last year. I hope however that he is not hanging his hat on this past performance. As it stands now, I would have both Bournival and White ahead of him on the depth chart. If he gets back in the linuep, he better make the opportunity count.

You can only give a guy so many chances….

6. thebonscott says:

Good article on dubnyk, he could be a reclamation project for waite, can’t fault him for poor results in edmonton, that franchise is in shambles. But 6 foot 5″ goalie’s drafted 14th overall don’t grow on trees, if he can be turned around……would be better than budaj, or worse case scenario a trade chip.

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

7. Bugs says:

There once was a stopper Flanelle
    Whose pride did unleash hell
    And burned olive branch
    Ptui! Avalanche…
    And left us with a Thibeault ratty shell.

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

8. shiram says:

On Bourque, if there is no taker for a trade, the guy could go on waivers, and if no one bites on waivers, what’s to stop the Habs from just keeping him in Hamilton?

I know only 900k$ would be taken off the cap, but that’s still better than nothing.

9. Frank2468 says:

I hope not but I think MB finds out tonight he hired the wrong person!! I maybe wrong but if Patrick was coaching PK bet he understands him a lot better then MT. And instead of trying to put him in his place Roy would approach PK with a father image just like Demers did with Patrick

• Phil C says:

Patrick Roy was not a good fit in Montreal. He wanted too much control. If he had been willing to just come in and coach, then maybe.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Sources please… It was never confirmed that he wanted control, unless you have connections to the Habs management team that no reporter in Montreal has.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• bwoar says:

I think we can look at his job titles in Colorado and conclude something pretty much line with Phil’s post.

• Phil C says:

I don’t have a source on hand, but don’t you find it beyond coincidental that the deal that he was rumoured to want in Montreal was the exact deal he signed in Denver? I find implausible to think he would have accepted less control in Montreal.

• Cal says:

He is VP of player personnel with the Avs. Habs would never have given him that. Sakic- a rookie at this- agreed with Roy.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Isn’t that like when the star of a TV show gets called “Executive Producer”?

—–
            Moving. Forward.

• D Mex says:

Thanks for posting this !
      Must admit the humour didn’t really jump out at me – Luongo’s departure is a tough blow to VAN fans …
      It is * super * well done, tho – that young lady has a set of pipes on her, and the young guy who did the opening verse is no slouch either.
      Really well done !

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• DipsyDoodler says:

They’re in Newark. That’s pretty unlucky.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• CJ says:

Corsi Fenwick has its place, but it only helps to form a part of the puzzle. You also need to watch the game and not focus entirely on a graph. There are too many variables in hockey.

Baseball is a statistically driven sport as there are individual match-ups. Pitcher vs batter. Ability to field a ball. Etc., Hockey, aside from a shoot out, very seldom has a one on one situation.

When I think about New Jersey I don’t think about luck. The one word that comes to my mind, Eric Gelinas aside, is BORING.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Wrong. Baseball uses statistics more, but the hold the same value. Unless you install heart rate monitors,on players there is no way to understand how pitchers and batters handle two out situation with two outs in later innings..

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Mr_MacDougall says:

With RISP*

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• CJ says:

With all due respect, I believe you have missed my point. In a sport like baseball you can significantly reduce variables (other players) and drill down to a basic one on one match up. For example, batter A has a career .270 average against pitcher B. Or batter A hits .320 against right-handed pitching and .235 against lefties.

You can not discern the same data from hockey where there are many moving parts. It helps to paint the picture, but not as clearly as what you can derive in the game of baseball.

Regarding your example, you can quantify a batter’s success rate with 2 outs in later innings. Baseball managers play the match up game all the time. Heart rate monitors have nothing to do with determining probabilities of success. Some athletes have high heart rates, while some have lower heart rates. There is no correlation to heart rate and success.

Statistics are a very valuable tool, however in the game of hockey, they must still be aligned with advanced scouting and taken as part of a whole. Otherwise, you end up with data that concludes that Louis Leblanc was our highest corsi fenwick.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Thanks for the reply, yeah I guess as a baseball fanatic I got a little offended! Numbers are as misleading in baseball as they are in hockey, for instance, the TB Rays are known for developing pitchers while stats indicate their pitchers perform similar to other teams but have elite defence and fundamentally sound with hitting cutoff, having elite defensive catchers (shut down the running game) big arms in the outfield, excellent double play statistics along with above average range at every position. The additional confidence a pitcher gets from the defensive stability is not measurable by statistics, sure you can measure statistically how many runs this saves a pitcher against the league mean D stats, by put there is also the bump in performance for confidence, immeasurable.

Same goes for hockey, you can’t just assemble a bunch of statistics and expect them to automatically produce at their career average. I would say that baseball also requires advanced scouting.

Like hockey; baseball stats are most useful in stating the obvious, when you try to pinpoint minute details there are so many interdependencies that you’d need An MIT staff just to make them worthwhile… Many think batting average is only important against starting pitchers…

For hockey, from a broad perspective, the numbers that matter organizationally are PK against top 10 PP units, and PP against top 10 PK units. Even strength play against top ten even strength teams.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• thebonscott says:

i heard buffalo has a good corsi-fenwick also, look where that got em.

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

10. JohnBellyful says:

A goalie revered as Saint Patty
    As a coach will sometimes go batty
    His Avs are in town
    The Habs will go down
    And who’ll be to blame? Why it’s Matty!

11. Hobie Hansen says:

I remember watching the Habs growing up in St. Lazare as a young child in the late 70s and early 80s. My parents would have a house full of friends over and they’d all be yelling and screaming at the television.

When I first began playing hockey as a 6 year old I wore #10 because Guy Lafleur was my favorite player at the time. I wore it up until I stopped playing organized hockey in my early/mid teens.

My first solid memories of the Habs come from their 1986 cup win when I was around 9-10 years old. The kids were upstairs watching on TV while 40 or 50 adults watched the game, drinking beer, in a cloud of smoke downstairs. I mostly remember guys like Gainey, Robinson and Naslund from those playoffs.

My first game at the Forum was in the late 80s and Ryan Walter scored in OT to beat the Hartford Whalers 4-3. A friend of the family had season tickets so I was able to see quite a few games there before it closed. What a building!

I was lucky enough to have borrowed someone’s ID and be right beside the Forum in 1993 drinking in some bar when I was 17. The moment the Habs won, we were able to run a couple blocks down to the Fourm, the doors were open so people could leave, and we saw the Habs celebrating and carry the cup off the ice.

The next 20 years haven’t been so great but I’d never give up on my team.

• Frank2468 says:

Well I see Corey, Houle and Tremblay and the media at the time the biblical 4 horses of the apocalypse which turned this organization from glory in to a 21 year drought. How fast things turned after that. Been watching the Habs since 1970 and thought going 7 years between each win in 1986 and then 1993 a big thing until those guys came along and still waiting for the 3 wise men to return.

• Hobie Hansen says:

As another poster mentioned below, there’s a good chance that the Habs won’t win a cup for another 30, 40 or 50 years. Even longer.

Happy I got to see them do it but wish I could have soaked it in a bit more. I figured it would only be another few years before they won another.

• HabsPooch says:

Great story. Thanks for sharing. I remember those Cups vividly. The 86 Cup was the first I remembered as well. It was surreal witnessing the team I loved holding the Cup. A proud moment walking into my grade eight class after.

12. CJ says:

Switching gears, although I love the stories identifying people with their connections to our beloved, albeit at times frustrating, team – keep them coming! – I wanted to take a second and talk about being great vs being good.

Colorado is fast becoming the model of a what a great team looks like. Using the Canadiens as a varient, I believe it fair to say that we are good. So, what does it take to be considered great? IMO, professional sports teams are judged on records. Proof is in the pudding so to speak. Looking at our record, we are six wins shy of Coloroda right now. I think back to our first road test in Calgary, where we had a terrible opening 20 minutes before storming back, but running out of time. Or our loss to Nashville where Eller’s goal was overturned. Every team can revisit their record and should’ve, could’ve to death, but, IMO, we are much closer to being great, than we are at being considered bad. There are a number of building blocks in place, notably in goal. There is fine tuning that remains and I believe it will be addressed in the off season.

Although I am not entirely pleased with some of the personel decisions we are making today, I believe, quite confidently, that we are headed in the correct direction. Our goal remains unchanged, which is to win the Stanley Cup. In the short term we are going to experience ups and downs, however we are in a better position today than we were at this same point last season. I believe, again confidently, that our blueline will be better when Gorges returns and that secondary moves could egnite offence from the back end (yes, here I do with the Beaulieu rant again).

A healthy Price, on top of his game will continue to make us a difficult out in the post season. I do believe that we will make it, however this is a critical week, as we need wins, as I would much rather face Tampa Bay than Boston in the first round. We need to be healthy and clicking offensively. Again, these are both possible.

In closing, I guess this is a long winded way of saying that I think we are trending favorably. I would think a 2-2 record over our next four would be very good. Even better if those wins come against the Bruins and Leafs.

• DominicanHab says:

Fantastic post

• bwoar says:

I recently became a Columbus fan. Not sure entirely why, but as someone who doesn’t like Rick Nash I started to appreciate the work of their GM pretty much as soon as he was gone.

They too are a team much closer to being good, than they are to being a sadsack. They were terrible for so long and are now positively on the upswing. I like watching young teams progress and they sure are doing it. Goes to show that it can happen, without tanking *on purpose*.

• CJ says:

Good post. I agree. I applaud their willingness to move Gaborik, which I am sure wasn’t easy. They have some great young players, who are a combination of size and skill. They also have a very decent prospect pool, have acquired draft picks and now have very strong personel in Hockey Operations.

Amazingly Doug McLean has a job on television. He nearly ruined that franchise. What credibility does that man have?

• bwoar says:

I think TV is where you go once you’ve mostly lost credibility…. then I remember the strong of coaches who worked at TSN and that falls apart.

But wait, isn’t Doug McLean on Sportsnet? He’s a perfect fit there. *heavy sigh*

Also CJ, just a note that your courtesy on this board is really appreciated.

• CJ says:

Thank you for sharing. Your point regarding credibility and tv are spot on IMO. Otherwise these guys would be employed by a professional organization.

Lastly, thank you for your kind words. Cheers, CJ

• The Jackal says:

Hey CJ, agree with you that the Habs have the pieces to be great sooner rather than later.
      I’ve defended MT in the past, and I think he and his staff have done a good job of taking us from the basement to respectability once more, but I don’t think he is a coach for the long-term. We need to find that guy, and we also need to address our roster’s deficiencies, but I have much faith that MB will do these things without mortgaging the future.

One thing I disagree with though is the idea that Colorado is becoming a model great team. If you mean organization-wise, then that’s a different story, but performance-wise, they are still far behind. Yes, they having a great season and may even have a great playoffs, but they won’t win the cup this year, and probably won’t have as good a record next year. The Avs are one of the worst possession teams in the NHL and have the second highest PDO – yes, they have a lot of talent up front, but their goaltending is over-performing and they are scoring a lot of timely goals – my point isn’t whether this state of affairs can continue, but rather it is that teams that win this way don’t have much long-term or substantial success. I don’t doubt they are continually becoming a better team, but they have a ways to go before being great or even elite.

*And in case anyone takes exceptions to possession stats, the elite teams are leading those categories – Kings, Sharks, Hawks are at the top in those numbers and you can tell that is what makes the truly dominant.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• CJ says:

Good reply. Thank you for sharing.

I think our deficiencies (personnel) remain a greater concern than our coaching staff. I don’t think Larry Robinson, or anyone else would have a great deal of luck coaching up a line up that includes Murray, Weaver and Bouillion. The pieces need to change, but the puzzle if coming together. I am not a big MT fan, nor do I hate the man. I don’t always like his choices, but to be fair, he makes as many good decisions as he does bad. Coaches are hired and fired. There will come a time when we have a different coach and we can once again revisit his decisions. This process is cyclical IMO.

Regarding the Av’s, they have a number of pieces in place. They are not among the elite in the west, however they are playing in a strong conference with much more travel. Put that same organization in the east and I would be willing to bet that they would be neck and neck with the Bruins for the conference title.

I think they are going to get better as McKinnon is just scratching at the surface of his potential. Take a look at their depth down the middle. They need to add to their roster, but they have the pieces in place to be good for a number of years.

• HabsPooch says:

I’ll be at the Leafs game so I’m hoping for a win. I was there the last time when JVR scored the late goal to beat us. The game where he grabbed his jersey logo in mocking fashion towards PK…

• CJ says:

I would love to see the boys beat Toronto, in their barn. For whatever reason Toronto gets up to play Montreal the way we rise to the occassion when facing the Bruins. I expect a great game. Hopefully with a win as a result!

According to Lavoie, no Murray, Bourque, Parros or White tonight.

• CJ says:

IMO, Bourque is finished with this organization. I can live with mistakes so long as they are trying (Eller, Tinordi, Gorges), but I can’t stand a player who doesn’t try. Sadly, despite having all the tools, Bourque mails it in far too often.

Terrible. I still remember his first game as a Canadien against the Capitals. I thought I had gotten lucky as I could remove the Laraque name plate from a centenial sweater I bought and replace it with Bourque. Fast forward three years and we have a player who litterally has zero interest.

IMHO, I would be shocked if he is at training camp next season.

• ooder says:

that’s the best way to describe him. completely and utterly ineffective. most nights i forget he is even on the roster

• CJ says:

Agreed. Sadly, he has driven his value, what was left anyway, right into the ground. I am not sure how we go about getting rid of this guy, aside from either buying him out, taking on salary or accepting a player of similar quality. I would hate the option of having to package a good player (ie, Andrighetto) to entice a team to take Bourque. Hopefully MB can call in a favor and dump him somewhere else.

Make no mistake, given his tool (skills and abilities) the guy could still score 25+ goals if he gave anywhere near 100%. Sad really, as I would give anything just to put that sweater on and sit on the bench for 5 minutes with this team.

• Phil C says:

I think they would be better to eat the buyout than to give up a prospect. Because of his size and low cap hit, I would think a team might take a chance on him in the off season, even if the return was nothing.

• CJ says:

Hi Phil, I agree. Sweeting the pot would be an absolutely last resort. I am personally not in favor of this approach. As you have noted, and with which I agree, the offseason could find a taker. Salary Cap, etc., will have implications….CJ

• HabsPooch says:

Wouldn’t you think a great captain could change that?

• CJ says:

I think a good captain could certainly influence it. I think the culture has changed and Bourque’s style of play has become increasingly evident as it now sticks out like a sore thumb. We might not have the most skilled team, but to the players credit, the majority give what they can every night. As a result, it is easy to separate the passengers from those who are working.

14. Donkey Hoat says:

Grew up in Montreal and I’d watch a game or two on the telly with my Dad as a little kid.
    I was 10 years old in 1979, and my Dad and I got $10 tickets in the Forum’s SRO section way up in the nosebleeds for one of the SCF games against the Rangers.
    Been hooked ever since.

15. bwoar says:

Wait, Pat Roy? THE Pat Roy? OMFG we’re toast, right?

Wrong. If Price plays well, we’ll win. Same as usual.

Also, you guys tearing your shirts that Roy should’ve been our coach? Yes! And we should’ve drafted Mackinnon, Landeskog, Stasny, Duchene and Ryan O’Reilly. Oh and Tyson Barrie while we were at it. That might be helping Roy in the winning department a bit more than Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Pacioretty, and Desharnais.

16. SC-24 says:

If Price is playing tonight I hope his lower body injury is completely healed 5 of the AVS top 6 are 20 goal scorers he’ll see lots of rubber.
    and Roy most likely will win Coach of the year!!!!

17. theflukester says:

I’ve been around for the last 3 Stanley Cups. Been a fan since I was born because my Dad was a Habs fan and used to live in Montreal and see the games when he was growing up. Kinda no choice. I didn’t give up my team for Ottawa Senators like others I knew. Stuck to my Habs like glue. Sadly all my celebrated Habs shirts for Stanley Cups have all deteriorated. My father thinks the habs are doomed to win another one because the brains are just not in Montreal anymore, from F’d up GM’s to F’d up coaches to changes in the NHL he’s doubtful he’ll see another Stanley Cup before he dies. Can’t say I blame him much. Lots has changed including the fanbase. These days it’s more a popularity contest to keep players on the habs rather than really analyzing their contributions. The game has changed a lot and the habs haven’t been in sync with the changes for +20 years now. I personally think we are ok now but coach-wise, no way. We should have had Roy, he’d have been the perfect coach. A real shame that didn’t happen. We picked up a coach who is playing the same system as JM (but JM knew it better) and who is known to be horrid with young players and not properly using players. GM or ownership really dropped the ball on picking a coach.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

18. habsfaninphx says:

I grew up in Rochester NY in the 60s. The Amerks won three Calder Cups in four years back then. We were a farm team of Toronto of course.

Only makes sense I’d be a Habs fan.

19. Maritime Ronn says:

Becoming a Habs fan in this neck of the woods wasn’t the easiest thing in the world.

The folks around here were largely Boston fans, many because of some historical links – business, and a huge one being the help the city received from Boston when the huge explosion happened in the Halifax Harbor known as the 1917 ” Halifax Disaster.”

To this day (since 1971) Halifax sends Boston a commemorative Christmas tree as a tribute to the great help the good folks of that city provided.
    And yes, as a youngster, I was a huge Bobby Orr fan until 1975…
    There were/are still a bunch of Leafs fans here….

The only hockey we had here was the Nova Scotia Voyageurs in the 1970s.
    They were the Habs farm team at that time.

It was great watching them win, yet also frustrating because all the good players left for Montreal.
    Guys like Mike McPhee, John Van Boxmeer, Engbloom, Yvon Lambert, Mondou, Acton, Murray Wilson, and even Bob Gainey and Mario Tremblay for a cup of coffee.
    ….and then this big lanky fella named Larry Robinson that was far from a natural, great skater.

I finally went to my 1st game at the Forum in 1975.
    That was it! Hooked!
    What a team! Lafleur, Lemaire, Lapointe, Savard, that big lanky kid Larry Robinson, the youngsters Bob Gainey, Risebrough, Mario Tremblay…and of course Ken Dryden.

What atmosphere! The crowd noise…and I never had a hot dog like that in my life…and the women were all dressed like Vogue models and nothing less than spectacular.

• Strummer says:

Hey Ronn- Yesterday morning Ron James was on the Mike Richards show on TSN1050 and he was reminiscing abot growing up in Halifax probably around the same time (he’s 55 now).
      His family were Bruins fans but he also talked about the Voyaguers and how often there would be pre-seson Habs games at the Forum(?) in Halifax in those days. It was a great trip down memory lane and the best part is James is funny as hell!
      If your interested you can probably find the podcast.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Ian Cobb says:

Great post from earlier days my friend. Just hope Molson comes up with the correct quality management to take this team to where the real game is played again.!

• Habfan17 says:

Hey MR,

Did you get a chance to see the Voyageurs play live? I got to meet Phil Myre and Phil Roberto. Back then players had summer jobs and they both worked with Bellevue Ford in Chateaugay where my Dad worked as Sales Manager. They came to our house for dinner

Habfan17

20. habs_1978 says:

Playoffs 1986, I was 8 years old. My uncle was the only Habs fan in a family full of Leaf lovers. He’s my favourite uncle. I sat and cheered the Habs to their 23rd Stanley Cup. I’ve been a lover ever since.

21. johnnylarue says:

I suspect this has been flogged to death and then some already today, but here goes anyway:

Does anyone who watched Roy on l’AC last night think the Habs have a snowball’s chance in hell of beating the Avalanche tonight?

My gut tells me we’re toast. Beyond Melba.

Talk about a well-spoken, intense and outrageously confident bastard of a coach they’ve got over there…

• Say Ash says:

Every time AC has a member of the opponents as a guest, they beat us the next day. Briere, Bergeron, Vlasic in recent memory.

• shiram says:

There’s always a chance.

• CJ says:

I think we are going to get their best game. Anything short of our best effort and a big night from Price will result in a loss. I am trying my best to stay optimistic, but our defence is concerning, along with our PP and inability to generate offence 5×5.

We have four strong opponents, all in succession. This will be a very difficult match up. Looking ahead, the Leafs game on Saturday night in Toronto is probably the most winnable game of the bunch.

Lastly, love him or loath him, Roy’s players believe he has their back and will run through a wall if he asks them to. I am certain that they all appreciate the importance of this game to their coach and I would be very surprised if we do not see a very engaged Colorado team tonight.

One can always hope those young Avalanche players thoroughly enjoyed their night in Montreal last night. ;-)

• C-Sword says:

Chances of us winning tonight are very low. Hopefully, Price doesn’t get yanked in his 2nd game since being back from injury.

22. Hammer says:

How I became a Habs fan. Spring of 1970, Holy Thursday to be exact, Dad hauls me and my six siblings to Holy Thursday mass. When we went into the Church at7:30 PM 5-1 Boston when we took off the cassocks to escape the rectory and the incense it was 7-5 Habs. Must of been divine intervention. Ever since that day I have lived and breathed Habs. Thanks Dad!!

23. DominicanHab says:

All of these stories about how members became Habs fans are fantastic. I love reading them. We come from all different walks of life, all kinds of different places, and are united by the CH

24. desertman says:

I moved to Canada and Montreal in 2006. I had lived in Europe and the Middle East my whole life so I knew very little about hockey.

I was with a buddy and he said its saturday night, we are going to watch the habs game (I had no idea the habs were the same thing as the Canadiens). I went to his place where his living room was packed. We were playing the maple leafs. My dad spent many years in toronto and obviously trying to one up my dad, i chose to dislike the city well before I knew about hockey.

Once I discovered that habs fans also dislike toronto it was a match made in heaven. Add the fact that i fell in love with hockey right away, it was an easy decision. Oh and Im a liverpool fan and they had the same owners at the time, so that was just fate telling me i needed to be a habs fan.

Given today we discuss what could have been with Roy as coach, here is an update on how things are going for another Hab great that got away.

• Habfan17 says:

Good for Kirk! That is exactly what Bergevin said, albeit in a more relaxed tine when he addressed fans and the media when he took over!

I know that is the message that Therrien tries to end when he benches players or demotes them, “play for with the team, for the team, not for yourselves” Somehow though he seems to make it more about him and not the team and he mixes up learning mistakes with not following the system.

That really shows when you see who loses ice time after making mistakes and who doesn’t!

Habfan17

26. Mustang says:

My father was a pretty good hockey player although I never got to see him play. He had several friends who made it to the NHL and I can remember he and my mother telling about visiting Howie Morenz in the hospital where he later died of his injuries suffered while playing for the Habs. How could I possibly not love the Montreal Canadiens? I have been a fan all my life.

27. krob1000 says:

As a very young kid 2 or 3 I showed a love for hockey…my Dad a huge Habs fan had several Hab fan friends and they would come over for every game on Sat nights. I was born in 76 so the HAbs were at the peak of their glory. As I grew little older I took a giant magnet to my television……it turned the picture red…all of it. I spent about 2 years watching televison and playing classic games like Mouse Trap on a red, red television. I would sit very close to the tv because it was difficult to follow on a red tv!!

I spent all my time playing ball hockey in the basement and pretending I was Guy Lafleur ( I still wear number 10 every chance I get on a any sport team). The mid 80’s are where I really had my Hab fandom and hockey fandom I guess too cemented. I remember the Steve Penny run, I remember collecting hockey cards and knowing every players card number in the set and their statistics. Those were the Mats Naslund days. I remember then the run of 1986. Every kid at school wanted to be Patrick Roy. At recess we played “hogball” …was a hybrid between socceer, hockey and basketball. I went to a school with a very large Portuguese population and every now and then they would take on everyone else…and they could play!! We would fight over who was the HAbs…and we would for these big games move to a larger spot on the school yard….for these challenge games where the stakes were supposedly higher we called our other venue The Forum…it was nearly three times the size and scores of 20-18 turned into 3-2,etc,etc, was like playoff hogball.

That year when the HAbs won we were at a friend of my Dad’s cottage…there were about 40 people there…we lit fireworks off the dock, my Aunt met my Uncle and everyone was ecstatic..even the non Hab fans were having a great time and it was just a joy how much fun hockey had brought and how many people iot borught together.

Then the next year..came the Canada Cup…in my opinion still the best hockey ever played….like the year before the games were huge social events, there was tons of food, tons of people, dart tourneys, euchre tournies,etc leading up to gametime….when Canada won the house erupted…Gretzky to Lemieux…is still the most memorable goal for me and between that 86 cup run and the Canada cup run I was hooked forever.

To make sure I would not change in aduthood….the year 1993 when I turned 17 was the greatest year any fan could hope for. Once again the Habs won…but better yet…I was a Cowboys fan, a Jays fan…and Chicago Bulls fan……talk about spoiled…all 4 teams winning in same season.

How could I not be hooked on hockey and sports for life….I now have a stepson and a little guy who has the midas touch. Has been getting a puck tossed to him at every game he has attended this year…2 from Briere, 2 from Parros and one from Craig Adams, we got our picture with Guy Lafleur, we got to meet Rejean Houle as well. We had the MCdonalds trip where they made my little man the Gallaburger for him. HE wears Gallagher stickers on his helmet, plays with miniature hab figures and celebrates like Gallagher…for a while did the Subban Jersey thing (we were at that game). He loves the old school arcade downtown a few blocks from the Bell centre….I am pretty sure I have officially passed the torch…here is hoping he does the same!

28. Morenz7 says:

Spring of ’74, just east of Kamloops, B.C.
    I’m four years old and perched on the arm of my dad’s barcalounger, crying because the Dryden-less Canadiens are washing out of the playoffs to the New York Rangers.

I remember crying through my bath afterward and my dad telling me don’t worry, they’d do much better next year.

Guess he knew at that point that they had me for good.

29. shiram says:

My “becoming a Habs Fan” story is a lot shorter than most around here.
    When I was a kid, my mother insisted that TV was turned off after 6 or 7 pm, so I grew up not listening to any Habs game, though they were always discussed on the news, radio, at school, they were just everywhere.

Fast forward to 2009, and I had just left a job that was putting a great stress on my life, I was depressed on stuck at home trying to find a new job.
    A friend of mine visited me and brought NHL 09 for the ps3, and we played it, as it was split screen, we could play it on the same couch.
    I liked the game, and it piqued my interest, so I changed my TV subscription to include RDS and started watching the game.
    I was immediatly hooked, not only was it a high speed strategic game, but it helped me play the video game better.

Soon I found this place, and I lurked for a while, soaking in the decades of accumulated knowledge people share on here on a daily basis.
    After a few months lurking, I made an account, and have been trying to contribute ever since.

30. Bugs says:

There once was an ill-dressed casseau
    Who led our beau grand bateau
    He would stop good da puck
    Until he said “F***
    I’m out of here, you frickin maudit salaud!”

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

31. Mattyleg says:

GG going over the PP this AM.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. SC-24 says:

Advantage to the AVS tonight, But knowing the Habs anything is possible!!!!

33. RetroMikey says:

I’m selling my team issued Montreal Canadiens autographed sticks including the 1993 Stanley Cup stick which has all the autographs of the players signed on Roy’s Koho Evolution stick back then.
    I figure each stick would be worth $200 and a premium one for the older ones?
    Anybody interested let me know.
    Marc Juteau and Francis Brodeur of Classic Collectibles have been hounding me for years to sell these and my Staley Cup program collection I have amassed with my earliest Cup Program being from the Montreal Forum in 1930 when the Habs faced the Bruins.

Drop me an e-mail.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

34. mdp2011 says:

Just logged on and just really amazed at reading all these wonderful stories on how some became Habs fans. For me, my story is not at all interesting and I honestly don’t remember how I became a Habs fan, I just was. No defining moment or anything like that, just as far back as I can remember (1978-1979) I was a Habs fan with the Flower as my boy hood idol.

35. Mattyleg says:

How I became a Habs fan:

I was born.

My dad was a Habs fan, his Dad was a Habs fan (he actually got a try-out with the team in 1937/8)… My mum was a Habs fan, her Dad was a Habs fan…

When I was 2, Guy Lafleur had the same blonde hair as me, and I was able to say ‘flower’.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. D Man says:

When I was a kid, about 10yrs old in the early 50’s, my dad bought me a Habs jersey and my mom sewed #9 on the back. That was it for me. This was strange because my dad and his 4 brothers all played junior hockey in Kitchener at the same time as the Milt Schmidt, Bobby Bauer and Woody Dumart. My dad called him Porky Dumart and they of course were the Kraut Line. My mom’s younger sister married Eugene Bauer. Another brother Father David Bauer coached the Canadian National Hockey team in the 60’s. In those days they were the Bauers of the Bauer Skate company, a family business. These were people I knew well when I was growing up. When later on I asked why they bought me a Habs sweater they said it was because I talked about the Rocket all the time and it didn’t matter who I cheered for as long as it wasn’t the Leafs. What was wrong with the Leafs, I asked. It seems that Conn Smythe came into Kitchener and signed up all the best players breaking up local junior teams.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

37. DipsyDoodler says:

Question for subscribers to Bell Cable and Mobile Phone service.

Can you watch games (and other TV) via wifi when you are out of the home?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Mavid says:

don’t think that has ever worked for me…as a matter of fact I was on the road for the Buffalo game I was watching it on my I pad. When we stopped at one of those EnRoute’s with free wifi I tried and it kept giving me an error..but then worked again once we were on the road..I would have to test it somewhere else with wifi..I am using the Bell TV app (which is crap to begin with ) is that what your using?

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

38. L Elle says:

A goosepimpled morning of HIO reading! It takes me back to childhood, which was the best time, no matter what all the cliches try to fool us into…Life begins at 40, yeah riiiight. ;)

I was so impressed by Roy in his interviews, in his approach, and in the words and happy faces of his team.

As MRonn summarized below, Roy is a New Age coach, and the old dinasaurs, hopefully, are on their way out. Eller would be a star with that kind of coach. Yeah, I said it. ;)

I can remember when they were giving out free tickets at a mall for a Flyers game. A bunch of us went as teenagers, hoping to strike gold.

There was Pierre Bouchard in all his facial hair splendour. He gave all of us tickets, I guess because we were cute screaming teenagers. lol

I was holding my ticket when a big ugly girl grabbed my ticket, and it tore in half. Man. I can’t tell you how upset we were.

A few minutes later, as I was dejectedly walking away, a big scream from one of my friends. “The ticket, the ticket”. Well, wouldn’t you know it, there lay on the cold hard cement, the other half of my ticket that Big-Ugly had thrown away.

A bit of Scotch Tape, and I was on my way. :)

39. habsonly says:

Good morning HIO!
    How did I become a Habs fan, back in 1961, I was 4 at the time. On Christmas morning I awoke and rushed down to the tree to see what Santa had left us. Low and behold under the tree were 2 jerseys, one was the stunning Red White and Bue and unfortunately the other was a sickly Blue and White.
    My Dad says to me which one do you want, well my eyes were fixed on that amazing Habs jersey and I grabbed for and it was mine and the Habs have been one of my loves in life ever since.

Last night on TV I was checking the channels and to my wonder the Rocket was on, was a great night needless to say.
    GO HABS GO!!!!!!

40. Psycho29 says:

Oh and thanks for the kind words below Burly!
    It’s funny, don’t get the same feelings watching hockey as in years past. I don’t know if it’s because the game has changed so much and it’s such a big busine$$ now.
    Maybe we just were spoiled all those years with winning teams.

• Paz says:

For me the “dream” of winning is hardly there. It still exists, but barely.

I used to start every season thinking the Habs could win a Cup.

Now we start the season pleading for patience and understanding.

Agree and understand, however, I think we finally have an owner who recognizes the shortfalls of previous regimes and actually has a longterm plan for success. The past 20 years has been change, change and more change. No surprise there has been little to no success.

For the second time in 20 some years I believe the CH and am willing to be patient. I felt the same when Gainey came back in the fold, but alas his life was so badly scarred by tragedy that I believe it took that 24hr a day focus away from him. I also believed that while Gillette came off looking like a great owner, his passion was the money side, but he had a great salesmen ability. He never met a camera or a microphone he didn’t like.

CHeers Psycho! While I love all the access to sports we get nowadays, and the fact we can watch virtually every game, I can’t help but wonder if this too hasn’t taken away some of the thrill of the game. I know growing up out West, Saturday was only Habs on English channel if playing the Leafs otherwise up to the parents bedroom I went where we had an even smaller TV with even a worse black and white picture which I would watch the games in French.

Funny how my Dad always thought his youngest boy was odd wearing skates in his bed watching the game in french a language he never understood.

• Psycho29 says:

I remember listening to the Habs Sunday night away games on radio (CBM 940) because most of the away games weren’t televised (even some home games).
        It was just as exciting as being there or watching on TV…

“The Canadiens are skating left to right on your radio dial”

• trolly says:

I might as well jump in here. That Sat. night french broadcast is probably what got me hooked on the Habs. I moved from On. to Calgary in 1984, never played or payed much att. to hockey til then. Now everyone was all about the Flames this and the Oilers that. I started watching HNIC and the local station would show the Flames during the week. Loved the game but if the Flames weren’t playing the Oilers they sucked and the Oilers weren’t for me either. Then I discovered that SRC channel and that was it, Habs every Sat. night. I don’t speak french but I still prefer RDS to HNIC to this day even if they’re both showing the Habs.

41. rhino514 says:

The habs can take out any team in the playoffs except the flyers. I actually think we have a team more suited for the playoffs than years past.
    I think alot has to do with how Gionta, Briere, and Eller are playing heading into the playoffs, and wether the 6th D (either Tinordi or Beaulieu) established himself as reliable.
    Gio and Briere have indeed picked it up as we were hoping for, as we near the playoffs. Eller despite scoring a goal, still not sure. I admire for once Therrien´s balls to finally provide him with good scoring linemates (though with Vanek on the team, there is more to go round). If these guys play ok, the habs will be very very tough to beat, at least within the conference.
    Also, the habs have played a stifling system all year which supposedly should make them a tougher team in the playoffs.
    If they are ousted early again after consciously deciding to stifle some very talented player´s creativity for the good of a greater cause, you can bet that heads will roll.

42. Gehlsen says:

Tokarski sent back down to AHL. So that tells me Price is ready to play tonight….woot woot!

Les Habitant!

43. Habfan10912 says:

What great conversations taking place about how we became Hab fans. One in particular stands out. In case you missed it I’ve taken the liberty to copy the post from yesterday from Habfun. It reads:

————————————————————————————-
    Habfun MARCH 17, 2014 AT 10:19 PM
    I live in Ottawa, we had 13 kids in my family, 11 original and 2 adopted, actually my parents never did legally adopt them they just took them in when their parents who were a couple of drunks (they lived next door) and were evicted and moved away and just left the two boys, ages 2 and 5 they were always at our place anyway My Mom made sure of that so they could get fed and cleaned. We never heard from their real parents and my brothers have not looked for them to this day! this was back in the late 50s. They are still my brother and I love them as such!
    anyway, we didn’t have much money, only my Dad worked and my Mom did all the rest! I think it was 1970 my Dad won a contest of a trip by bus to Montreal to see the Habs and Bruins at the forum, he took me and my 2 adopted brothers (I was 14). MAN TALK ABOUT EXCITEMENT! they were standing room tickets and I was awestruck. Montreal won! I will never ever forget that day, I have been a Hab fan ever since! I came from a poor family but I am blessed not only to have great parents and family (my dad has passed on). But also to be able to cheer for the Habs all my life!
    That is my experience Go Habs Go!!

————————————————————————————-

No Habfun. Your family was rich. Very rich. CHeers and thank you for sharing. Great stuff.

• Habfun says:

Thanx Habfan, I am Rich to this day, not with money(I’m ok for retirement in about 5 years) but that doesn’t matter, we have large family gatherings and they are the best times of my life! I lost my Dad a few years ago, and have lost 2 paternal brothers to cancer over the past couple of years (they will always be with me!) my Mom is 89years old in good health. We are a big close knit family (not without our problems as any family).
      I am one lucky rich man!
      Go Habs!!

It’s all about the CH

44. 25 cups says:

I first strapped on the goalie pads in the fall of 1985. I became a hab fan because of Patrick Roy.

45. hdcase says:

I grew up in Vermont in the 1950s and 1960s, and my family was lucky enough to live in a town with a cable system. As long as I could remember, Saturday night meant Hockey Night in Canada. Whole families would gather around their little black and white TVs and try to follow the puck! My favorite player was John Ferguson. He embodied everything that I loved about hockey. Only Gump Worsely was tougher! Remember when Gump very deliberately blocked a shot with his bare face? I became a goalie and I know how hard it is to block a shot with your face and I always wore a mask.

One of the thrills of my young life was seeing John Ferguson walk by me. He was a giant! My father told me that there would never be a hockey player bigger than John Ferguson, a man’s ankle’s just weren’t strong enough to support anyone any larger. I also remember the very nicely dressed attendants who would help you find your seat at the Forum. They dressed like flight attendants on an airplane.

I can’t post this without mentioning Henri Richard or Jean Belivieau. I remember being stunned at seeing Henri Richard skating around during warmups. With small easy strides, he seemed to be flying around the ice. Looking back at almost 60 years spent in a hockey rink, was there ever a bigger gentleman in any sport than Jean Beliveau?

hdcase

• Rugger says:

Where in Vermont? I grew up in Vt that time frame as well. We lived in Woodstock, Rutland, Windsor and finally Randolph. The Habs games were always on so it was natural to become a fan. The Roadrunner was my favorite, then Naslund.

46. Say Ash says:

Couldn’t watch A.C. last night – was Tremblay on the panel?

47. Mattyleg says:

Morning everyone!
    Good news….

Mattyleg’s going to the game!!

Yes, that’s right, it’s the final game of my 10-pack that I bought at the beginning of the season.
    My record: 2-8.

As my buddy said to me this morning, if the Habs lose tonight, I should really launch a class-action law suit against the Canadiens for selling a 3-7 package. And then I can kick myself in the nuts a bit for giving away one of the ‘W’s and subsituting it with the 0-2 Summit game.

I’m not a betting man, but I would wager all my worldly possessions on a Habs win tonight.

Do it!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

48. CJ says:

Good morning folks. Back from the dead……

Looking forward to the game tonight. I am going to stay positive and go in with an open mind, however I still feel that there are issues on defence that I fear will be exposed this week against opponents far superior to Ottawa and Buffalo.

Price, the eraser, has a way of making bad things look ok, but can we force even more responsibility on our franchise player? PK has really stepped up his game this past week. I love the physical engagement and emotion that appears to be oozing out of the young man once more. As the spotlight shines brighter, PK’s profile grows bigger. I just wish we had a better partner to help assist him. Looking at the list of top defencemen in the league, there is NOBODY who plays with such inferior talent the way that PK does. Personally, it if was my choice, (and yes, I understand that it isn’t), I would be pairing PK with a much better partner than Bouillion. Mind you it was a very small sample size, but I thought Beaulieu looked good with PK when they played together during the Toronto game in January. Frankie has had an excellent career. He is to be hailed as a great small defenceman who brought everything to each and every game. I watched him fight Colton Orr, score overtime goals and everything inbetween – most notably his feud with Darcy Tucker. One game here and there is fine, but we can not ice a defence consisting of Bouillion, Weaver and Murray. Sorry to continually hammer this point home, but we are not going to enjoy playoff success with this lineup.

I have watched a few Colorado games this season and they are fast, fluid and bring four lines who are ready to play. Of course, they are going with Giggy in net this evening, who looked very solid during our first match up this season. During their last game, Jamie McGinn was used on every line and in every situation. He is however a role player on a team filled with young talent.

Lastly, and on a complete aside, a great point of contention during our previous discussions regarding Markov was the fact that a playoff team could not trade a UFA as it would send the wrong message to the fan base. Well, Columbus moved Gaborik….

• habstrinifan says:

I have a gut feeling that it will be a HABS win. I feel P.K will also have a big part to play.

Re P.K and Bouillion.. I have postd before that if you are gonna play Bouillion, he plays BEST when paired with P.K.

And I am not sure i is pure coincidence that P.K has seem to come out of his funk with this re-pairing.

I think they genuinely like each other. And I think Bouillion’s spunk excites P.K.

49. Thomas Le Fan says:

How did I become a fan of the Montréal Canadiens? I can’t remember. They were winning a lot back in the mid 50’s, I remember that. And it just continued. Maybe I just liked the red teams. Habs, Hawks, Wings and hated the the blue teams Leafs, Ranger and was indifferent to the perrenial losing Bruins. Probably no more logic to it than that. Oh and then there was the fact that like a lot of the players at the time, my name started with an L and ended with a vowel. Maudit Anglais! ;)

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• wjc says:

How did I become a Canadiens fan: They were winning, I like winning so I went along for the ride, couple more cups after that.

Made me a big shot not sure why? Leafs stunk, Chicago stunk, then all of a sudden they didn’t stink and they won cups, I was mad and disappointed and depressed, this went on for a few years.

Then Montreal won again, until they didn’t, then the won again.

I am a fair weather fan…..win or I am gone, hardly ever mean it, because they keep winning just enough for me to get sucked back in again.

I have witnessed many cups and realize, that the season is now too long with too many games, with too much money and it is sort of a turn off. I start to tune out around the 2nd round and Montreal is gone, then so am I…..watch no more hockey except by accident.

wjc

50. Cal says:

Of the top 8 in the west, the Avs are 7th in goals against and 4th in goals for, making a differential of + 28.
    They are better than the Habs on paper, no doubt. Good thing the game is played on the ice. I am looking forward to an excellent game tonight.

51. Thomas Le Fan says:

Good article on Roy by Dave Stubbs. Only one thing to add. Patrick, the fans, except for a few booing idiots with temporary insanity, were never part of the problem. 3 out of four still want you to coach this team but management thought better of it and hired Therrien.
    I guess it’s good that he can forgive Tremblay (spit). I still can’t speak or type his name without spitting a little venom. I hope we don’t all feel the same way about the new MT when it’s over.
    Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• DipsyDoodler says:

I don’t think the choice was Roy or Therrien. Wasn’t it Roy or Bergevin?

—–
      Moving. Forward.

Interesting in all the interviews done with Patrick, I saw none where the reporter/journalist asked Patrick about the documented rumour that Roy wanted to have control over personell. Instead they all softpedal on this and simply ask if he was interested in coaching and if there was interest back.

I suspect the reason this was not asked, is it would have provided much understanding of why he didn’t get the job and that wouldn’t be nearly as salacious thus less hits or sales of papers.

• Paz says:

Or maybe this was a story purposely leaked to the media so Roy supporters would understand when he was not chosen?

All the more reason would love it to be confirmed Ed. I like Roy a great deal, I am happy for him, I hope one day it works he is coach or GM or President of the Habs.

Edit: And he did indeed get the right to make personnel decisions in Colorado.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

If PR absolutely had to have the G.M. job as well as the head coach, you’re right. If not … well … they hired MT, didn’t they?

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• habstrinifan says:

WOW re Tremblay. You forgetting how Tremblay bled for the HABS. He goofed but he WAS a damn proud HAB.

52. Psycho29 says:

What great reading about how everyone became Habs fans.
    My Dad was hired by Senator Molson after the war and was in Sales and Public Relations. A lot of his dealings were with the hockey team and the press.
    I went to my first games at the old forum (I was really really young ;-) and can remember probably 11 or 12 Cups. My Dad had season tickets from Molson’s and in 1970-71 I think I went to about 18 games that season…
    Jean Beliveau worked with my Dad at Molson’s in the off season and Beliveau actually came to my sister’s wedding in 1970. (Red Storey was there also). The reception was in the yard where we lived and I still have a picture of me at 11 standing there just staring at Big Jean.
    My Dad retired from Molson’s in 1973 and probably didn’t see Beliveau very often after that. At my Dad’s funeral in 1995, who show’s up? Jean Beliveau. What class.
    So the bottom line is…..I didn’t really have a choice BUT to be a Habs’ fan.
    We all have different ideas about what’s best for this team but bottom line , we want to see another Cup!
    Go Habs Go!!!!

• CJ says:

Good morning Pyscho (doesn’t seem right addressing someone in that manner, but I digress….)!

What an amazing story! This is one of the reasons I love visiting the site – the ability to interact with passionate fans and get to know a little more about the team, the culture and the fanbase.

This is one of, if not the, coolest posts I have read.

Thank you for sharing. Cheers, CJ

I have read in the past where you posted bits and pieces of this story and when I read it again today I still get goosebumps from it. I can’t imagine how thrilling it was to have met Mr. Beliveau as a youngster the way you did. It must have been very emotional to again see Mr. Beliveau at your fathers funeral. He indeed is all class, I suspect your father was as well.

Thanks for sharing!

• Psycho29 says:

I was really lucky, thanks to my dad. I remember him coming home, laughing. He had a big dirty stain on the shoulder of his beige winter coat. He had been at a Habs practice that morning and was standing near the bench when he heard “PAT !!” yelled from the ice. When he looked over he got hit with a big pile of dirty snow. Gump Worsley had picked up the snow on his goal stick and launched it at my Dad.
        That stain was a trophy of sorts. I don’t think he had it cleaned for weeks!

Here’s a picture of my Dad presenting a curling trophy way back in 1969:

(just need to scroll left)

• Cal says:

My family has followed the Habs since the days of the Rocket. My father, born in Saskatchewan and then back to France until after WWII, returned to Montreal looking for work. He was about to return when he met my mother at an Edith Piaf concert. (They sat beside each other with a seat in between, both believing that the other would be joined by a friend. At the intermission, they finally spoke to each other and the rest is family history to be embellished at need.)
      A huge soccer fan, he took to the Habs like a duck to water, especially liking Maurice, Henri and Jean. I was born roughly 13 years later, the 6th of 9 kids. The youngest child’s first words were “he scores!” You might say that as a family we were hockey nuts.

• habstrinifan says:

WOW!

53. DipsyDoodler says:

I posted this before, but of Boston’s top 10 scorers, 5 are new to the team (Iginla, Smith, Krug, Soderberg, Eriksson). That’s some pretty good management.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

54. HankHardball says:

Many in the media have already conceded the East Conference Stanley Cup position to BOS.

Not so fast. Both MTL & TOR can beat them.

• 24 Cups says:

Boston is really solid. The only Achilles Heel they might have right now is the weakened defensive corps of Chara and Seidenberg. Seidenberg is out for the year and I doubt Meszaros is his equal. Chara is still a great defenseman but a gruelling 24 game post season grind may take it’s toll. I think Julien is going to have to gamble and play the kids a bit more.

It’s interesting that Boston allegedly had a deal with Vancouver for Edler but then the Canuck ownership pulled the plug on the deal (as well as the Kesler trade) because they thought they could make the playoffs.

• SPATS says:

We are a different team now with Weise. His speed and love of the crest have given us a sleeper of great promise. We have 4 lines we can roll and depth. The B’s and Laff’s would rather not face us. Our nemesis is in DC now especially with Jaro in goal. I would not want to face them.
      Would love to see this scenario unfold this year… The Bruins take out Washington while we rake up the Leafs in Rd 1. Then dust off the brooins in Rd 2 while Philly and Pitts kill each other after Philly takes out TB and Pitts takes out Detroit. In rd 3 we take revenge on the Flyers for 2010. Then its us vs Saku’s Ducks for the Cup… We win in 6 on home ice, Gally goes back to 73 and we retire #11 and invite Saku to join the rest up in the rafters after a glorious career.

My feel good story of 2014 will be the bright spot of this spring as WW3 unfolds :(

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH

• Dust says:

and pitt and the flyers. hell even columbus could beat them.
      I would say the bruins are the fav. but any of the above mentioned teams could beat them in a series

• RetroMikey says:

Boston will win the East again.
      They are the only team than can compete against the bigger and better teams int the West where playoff hockey is a physical gruelling series right from 1 round to athe finals.
      We know what the Habs need to compete, need I say more.

Let me the one who said NYET to the latest survey if I wished Patrick Roy to be coaching the Montreal Canadiens.

Just hope the team brass is preparing now for the summer trades now and free agent signings to do.

This is the priority, not focusing on the playoffs and exiting the first round playoffs, that is, if the team makes it.

BIG IS BETTER!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• HankHardball says:

The Cup is going West again this year. STL, ANA, SJS, CHI & LAK can all beat BOS in a 7 game series. Heck, St.Pat could probably do it.

• wjc says:

Okay then Boston in the finals. Canadiens should start preparing for the summer, so season is over, just going through the motions.

Do not focus on playoffs, because early exit anyways, why bother.

Big is better then talent.

Team will probably not make the playoffs anyways according to you.

Does depression run in your family, does all seem hopeless, do you need a group hug.

Thanks for ruining the season for me, now that I know how it all going to work out and all is hopeless, what have I left.

Check list….get rid of small players….all of them.

Get big players, talent no necessary, just BIG.

Do not focus on the playoffs, tell fans, shutting her down, nothing to see here, we will forfeit chills, spills and profits.

wjc

• RetroMikey says:

wjc

You said it right on!

Except, I’d keep DD (which is one of mt favourite players on the team and Gallagher)

Yes Big and better players with no talent will go a long way in today’s Bettman;s world in the NHL.

Bet many have never heard of players on the Blues, Kings, or Anahein roster besides a handful like Getzlaf, Perry, Kopitar, etc.

These players are BIG with no superstars, they play hard game in and out! Consistency!!!!!!

Yup, profits re important for Molson. Nothing is free anymore, heck they don;t even have line up cards produced at the Bell Centre nor do they have the media guide in PDF format to download from their site compared to other teams which are readily available and free. Seems everything is for a price for this time, especially if the fans have to fork over cash.

See you in April and let me know what the team should do when they don’t make the playoffs OR are eliminated after the first round.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Marc10 says:

Reaching another final is a tall order. I don’t think Chara has it in him.

Here’s a scary thought. Colorado’s road record is 21-9-3. Montreal’s home record is 19-11-5.

Here’s a eye-opening stat to put things in perspective as to where our team is really at in the overall scheme of the NHL. Montréal’s GD right now is zero. Boston is +72 while St Louis leads the league with +74.

Here’s an interesting question. Would you trade Montreal’s top six forwards for Colorado’s top six straight up?

• Habitforming says:

The way Therrien sees his “top 6″ you’re damn right I would. I’d even add in 2 of Therrien’s top 4 Dmen… Bouillion and Murray.

• wjc says:

These thoughts are not really scarey.

Road record, home record….so what.

The next game will not care who has the better home record , or road record, it will take on a life of its own.

G.D. is that goal differential? wow I mean WOW! So impressed, I think. Stats are nice, until you get knocked out by a guy with a lousy record. Stats are great until your car blows up and you lose, Stats are great until you blow an knee, stats are great until get clocked early and cannot function, stats are great until you burn the food.

Life is not about stats, they are nice, but what if you keep plugging and some how hit the ball out of the park in the final game.

What if you clobbered that trouble maker in a bar that is twice your size and run like hell and never get caught and the bully decides to quit drinking and mellow out, because his size did not help with some one behind him with a chair, that was not really afraid to use it, to get this guy off his peace loving buddy.

Oh the stories I could tell about hopeless situations that were straightened out with, out right, back stabbing, cowardess.

wjc

56. Rad says:

Patrick sounds like a damm good coach to me. Where Therrien is old school, Patrick is young and forward-looking. Looks like we missed the boat on that one.

• wjc says:

What did he say that made him ‘sound’ like a damn good coach. Just curious?

wjc

• Rad says:

Take a listen to that RDS interview.

• wjc says:

Interviews, interviews……we all can sound impressive in an interview. Now don’t get me wrong I like Patrick, but c’mon, this hero worship thing has to stop.

Funny, personable, are great, good stories, great comic timing, witty, all do not translate into great coach, they could though.

He says the right things, to the right questions, has the pedigree, I get all that, but he coaches Colorado, stop worshipping at his feet.

He puts his pants on one leg at a time (I think?) so he has weaknesses, prone to temper tantrums, has won nothing as a coach in the NHL, has a pretty good team that has been down for a while. So they maybe ready for some success.

Toe Blake was a lousy interview, Pollock was hopeless and hated the camera, Demers never saw a camera he didn’t like, Burns scowled a lot, Bowman was abrupt, Martin was looking for the exit when the camera came, Babcock seems sour and business like.

So what can you tell from an interview, very little, because charm, can charm and some have it and some do not, it is sometimes called karisma…..has nothing to do with coaching ability.

wjc

• Max says:

Personally,I’m not too worried.Let him gain some experience in Colorado and deal with the positives and negatives of the business first.He’ll be back to Montreal as coach a few years down the road I reckon.

57. Maritime Ronn says:

While there are few organizations that can match the class of les Canadiens, it will be interesting to see if there is any type of recognition towards Patrick Roy this evening.

The last time he was around the Bell Centre was November 2008 for the raising of his sweater, and his last game played against the Habs was way back in November 2001.

The recognition would not be precedent setting as most organizations will salute a former, important player who was traded or left as a UFA.

Perhaps they may decide not to, because of a possible indirect message to Habs ownership which most likely would involve a monster ovation and chants of, “Patrick-Patrick.”

• Habfan17 says:

Her MR,

I read the post below and Roy’s approach s very refreshing and I think it would be a benefit to the Habs to use the same approach.
      Therrien seems to be the type of coach that always feels he has to say something, just my opinion and uses the “punishment” approach” rather than the encouragement and teach approach, with the players. Evidence by the constant demotions and benching of your players after mistakes. He still seems very old school to me and that does not work well!

Habfan17

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi 17

It was also interesting to listen to Patrick’approach concerning MacKinnon.
        For the first part of the season, he limited his minutes and end of game situations as the young guy needed to learn and understand the D part of the NHL game.

It didn’t take him 2 years to allow MacKinnon to flourish and put him into positions to succeed………

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, that was another great point and I think the right approach. Especially with the highly skilled players with a high hockey IQ as they call it

Habfan17

• Ozmodiar says:

I’m assuming this is a comparison to how Galchenyuk is being handled.

It’s unfair to compare how the 2 players are handled when they are quite different, and should be handled differently.

MacKinnon didn’t need 2 years. Montreal doesn’t have anyone like him – not even Galchenyuk.

• wjc says:

Old school, new school, still school.

wjc

• 24 Cups says:

I see no reason to acknowledge Roy tonight. He had his number retired which should suffice until something significant happens in his life that might warrant special attention.

I’m in agreement on this, he will be introduced as the head coach and the crowd will handle any special acknowledgement.

• Maritime Ronn says:

That may be so, yet if Anaheim can pay tribute to George Parros, what would frighten the Habs organization so much to do a 45 second Jumbotron highlight thing?

Without Patrick, Habs fans would be Stanley Cup starved for 35 years instead of 20 years.
        When people run away or ignore things, it it usually a sign of insecurity or fear….

• 24 Cups says:

Ronn – Let’s put Patrick Roy aside for the moment. You’re obviously a big fan whereas I’m pretty lukewarm.

One of the issues that I have with Montreal is this constant barrage of pre=game hype. It started with massive overkill during the anniversary and hasn’t let up. It’s now at the point where celebrations and acknowledgments have become the norm which of course over time defeats the original intent of the special recognition.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Good point, but on the positive side the Habs have others besides Johnny Bower to trot out.
            :-)

Am I a big fan of Patrick?
            No, not really.
            I just appreciated his competitiveness and then his ability to adapt as a coach….and he knows, and will do whatever is necessary, to win

• 24 Cups says:

Hab fans love to hate the laffs but as a resident of Toronto I really enjoyed watching great players like Bower, Horton, Keon, Duff and Mahovlich. My hope is that Galchenyuk turns out to be another version of the Big M.

58. roblack says:

HABS FOREVER,FOREVER HABS

I first became a Habs fan in the days of B+W TV too. Le Gros Bill was my first favorite player,and I remember when the Road Runner first came up,they wouldn’t give him a regular shift,just power plays,cause Toe Blake thought he was such a defensive liability. I remember the forum crowds chanting”WE want Cournoyer”. Soon he developed into the most exciting player on a team of many stars. The Mahovlich’s,Fergie,Duff,young Rogie Vachon. Then the days of Murray Wilson,Marc Tardif,and then Steve Shutt and “Guy Guy Guy”. The big three on defense and Dryden in goal.The rocket slapshots from Stephan Richer,the seemingly effortless scoring of Piere Larouche,who was the only 50 goal man I remember that was usually in the coaches doghouse.

Yep,once a Habs fan always a Habs fan. The other day I heard a guy say he “used to be a Habs fan”?? Whats that about?

59. Stanley Cup says:

Good things come in small packages.

60. Lafleurguy says:

I am stunned by Habfun’s personal account. Nobility. Heroes.
    I serendipitously discovered the Habs at age 10. No sports fans in the family. Fuzzy black and white broadcasts in Edmonton, and sporadic viewing at that. Wedsnesday night’s CFRN, Edmonton’s affiliate of CTV would have a hockey game on and any sports broadcast then in mid-week was a rarity. Leafs had won in ’67, and to evoke context, that was our nation’s centenary and my family got to visit Expo ’67 and that weird USA pavilion. Would have been easy to emulate several of the kid friends I had and cheer for the Leafs, but the bonding arose from the majestic uniforms (black and white on TV, but glorious in hockey cards). Specifically, such flash memories as J.C. Tremblay’s calm and skillful puck control, Dick Duff’s Patrick-Kane-like stickhandling, Bobby Rousseau’s artistic skating, Yvan Cournoyer’s mad dashes, added to by the charisma of skillful rookies like Serge Savard, and Rogatien Vachon, and the Mr. Magoo-like mien of Lorne Gump Worsley, and the bonding was fait accompli. A truer appreciation of Jean Beliveau and Henri Richard would come later, but in ’68, they looked like slower versions of Bobby Rousseau. Later, I can indulge nostalgic musings about when Ken Dryden and Guy Lafleur and several others enhanced the Magical Mystery Tour. (“…..is waiting to take you away…..”)

Thanks for pointing out that post, had to go back find it and read it. What an amazing story of FAMILY, made the Habs part of the story secondary.

Kudos to Habfun and his incredible family.

61. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! Rangers appeared to have gotten the shaft. I laugh at all the Sam Rosen lovers. Here he is absolutely clueless of the play as he’s too busy reading some advertisement for MSG. Once again the game gets in the way of business. Sigh.

62. monmick says:

@Habfan10912. That’s a great story. Thanks.

63. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning
    Great interview with Patrick Roy at RDS

Some of the highlights.
    – Tonight will be anything but a trap game. Patrick said they will play offensive hockey…
    – He said the system is made for the players, NOT for the coaches and his open door policy allows players input into system adjustments.

– He wants his Dmen involved in the offense. Passing the puck sideways to each other doesn’t get them closer to the net.
    – He never goes into the room after a game, and only goes into the room between periods IF he has something to say. He does that because as a player, when a coach just talked for the sake of talking, it bothered the players more than anything else…

*** He has NO problem with his younger guys making mistakes and won’t bench them or sit them for that. He wants them to play, and they’ll figure out the mistakes after the game and work on them in the video room and practice.

– Regarding the draft last year, local Denver product Seth Jones was never in the discussion. It was MacKinnon-Barkov-Drouin, and the unanimous choice was NM.

• Old Bald Bird says:

It seems eminently sensible and modern to me. Let the young guys play, and let them make their mistakes.

He is daring to be himself. Maybe he will change this sport. Maybe we should hope for a Colorado cup to help that happen.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Agreed
        Like most pro sports, the NHL is a copycat league.

In the 1970s, the Flyers won with goons, so the other teams decided to goon up their team.
        Then along cames the Habs/Oilers and they proved talent and skating wins.

Patrick’s approach is great.
        His time in Junior allowed him to understand how young men think.
        It’s hard to argue with his success to date….

• Habfan17 says:

Hey MR,

Very true, however the Habs teams from 1975 to 79 had players that could take care of themselves. Some that could be classified as enforcers, but others like Lapointe and Robinson who could take care of business in many ways.

Habfan17

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi 17

Agree, yet the Habs were based on skill first, while the Flyers were just about intimidation and bench clearing brawls.
            The Habs did the NHL a big favour getting the game back to real hockey, while Larry Robinson did the NHL another big favor when he pounded Dave Schultz

• Cal says:

Let’s see the Avs in the playoffs first to see if this “let the players play” approach is worth anything.

• wjc says:

Another angle, let the young guys play, miss the playoffs.

Let the veterans lead, tread slowly with the young guys and make the playoffs.

wjc

• Maritime Ronn says:

Miss the playoffs?
          How so?
          Are the Avs missing the playoffs, or is going from 30th to 5th best in the NHL a bad thing?

How’s about play the young guns – put them in positions to succeed, and watch what they do….

• SPATS says:

We can only wonder if that approach would have worked here. I suspect MB would not have allowed it to happen. The CH remind me of Augusta National in their approach to CHange, and with Roy’s maverick history and an older roster… well, we have our answer. MT and his old school no low five, and put the reigns on PK and bench and scratch the youngsters until they are devoid of confidence rules the day to our dismay.

i wonder how much conservative CHristianity plays into this. CP and Josh Gorges and their CHristian brothers rarely get called out by their coach… Old sCHool Rules?

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH

64. Habitant in Surrey says:

… pksubban.com ? …is that owned by P.K., Himself, or His fan club ?

…if it’s His own then it looks a little too Me Me …(as in, ‘P.K.’s Next Game’, rather than ‘The Canadiens’ Next Game’)

…if it’s run by His fan club, then that’s a different story

65. Habitant in Surrey says:

…loved Scamorza’s question of curiousity, below, on how some of Us ‘became’ Habs Fans …it led to a few disclosures of very human insights and experiences

…I’m here in British Columbia, but was born in Montreal in the late-40s …so, being a Habs Fan was ‘a given’ in a sense …it was hardly a choice, as the Montreal Canadiens was such a proud part of My identity during the Golden Years

…being a Habs Fan is what a full genome sequencing would determine as an essential part of my being

…but I have, since being part of Our community (HIO), often wondered, like Scamorza, how so many divergent peoples around Canada, the United States and other countries, Themselves, arrived at being a Fan of the Montreal Canadiens

…I read with interest, tonight, those whom responded, Your stories …because You have all, even the more ditzy ones :), given Me a very enjoyable extra dimension of being a Fan of the Montreal Canadiens over the past several years

…I hope, and will be very interested, in the future, to learn the stories of all of You

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning Chris! As a boy growing up in the late 50’s early 60’s In a small town in the US near the Canadian border, we only had 2 TV stations available to us. One of these stations was out of Kingston Ontario who televised a Saturday night hockey game. It was known as “Hockey Night in Canada”.

Since Montreal was the better of the two teams between Toronto and Montreal, the Habs were televised many of those Saturday nights. I became addicted.

As a child I would sneak my small portable transistor radio into bed and under the covers would listen to the Habs games in French. Now mind you I spoke not a word of French so I’d look for hints from the crowd noise and the PA announcers call who would repeat the goals and assists in English.

As a Pee Wee player I had the honor of playing in the Quebec pee wee tournament. The team in our town had just been founded. No ice was available as we practiced on a small rink next to a seminary. We were all first year skaters but were all falling in love with the game. We lost to a team from St. John 19-0. I had a ball though.

My first game at the forum was shortly after that. My hockey coach and his family invited me with them. We sat on the very last row, with the press box actually underneath us (or so it seemed). I took on the sights, smells and sounds of that great building. A wide-eyed youngster falling deeper in love with his Habs.

I’ve moved away from my childhood home but with the invention of cable TV, the internet and Center Ice I now watch nearly every Hab game. I still make a trek or two annually to see a game. I’ve been bringing my son with me for years and recently have been bringing my oldest grandson.

We stop and visit the Old Forum on most trips. I sit on those small bleachers where the plastic fan is located at the center of the mall. Sometimes I close my eyes and I can recall the organ music playing, Dutchie’s “Go Habs Go” chant and the bugle guy. My Dad always told me they were the best years of my life. He was right.

CHeers.

66. Marc10 says:

@NTFCups

You must have been like a God walking among mere mortals and your siblings like prehistoric men stumbling around in the dark yet to discover fire…

Good times :-)

67. kempie says:

As promised, here is the Red Wings logo, expressed through interperative balloon structure.

Ridiculous right?

So Kerry Fraser thinks ref should have blown the whistle on that Habs winning goal against Sens. I say – who gives a crap what Kerry Fraser thinks.

69. jimmy shaker says:

Sorry, I’m getting/going all nostalgic here with Patty on antichambre and coming back to town and everything but I thought you guys would love to see this. I watched it and almost was teared up, it was probably the lighting in here, anyway. Enjoy. I got goose bumps when Carbo did his pre game tap to Roy’s pads, gloves, helmet etc. Just pure awesomeness!

Shaker out!

• Timo says:

How I envy those who got to live through Habs winning a cup. I am beginning to think that hopefully my daughter will get to see it? Maybe?

• Frank2468 says:

Timo you will get a chance I hope to see them win another cup. I saw them win 7 cups since 1970 and all with my dad at my side it was cool. And each one sweeter then the other. So I to hope they win another cup for selfish reasons my dad passed away back in 2004 and ever since I had unfinished business. I want them to win at least once more for my dad and for daughter who is 11 now so she can enjoy what it is to be proud of this organization as I was growing up with dad. And believe me when they do it will bring a tear to your eye to see your little one all excited. My dad used to get more of kick at watching me sit on the edge of my seat in anticipation and nervous as hell hoping they would win. He used to say to me in his accent “Francois you sitting on a spear over there?” LOL

• jimmy shaker says:

7 cups……nice. I’ve got 2 but the 86 cup is a blur at best. I was only 7 and just getting into the habs. And what a great way to start following this team……a Stanley cup and the birth of St.Patrick!

Shaker out.

• Frank2468 says:

Oh yes I remember 1986 like it was yesterday and the birth of St. Patrick. I remember how he stoned the Rangers in the dieing seconds and it pissed my buddy off he was a big Ranger fan. But guess you can see by my avatar my favorite was Dryden. I even tried my best to play like him when I played goal with his posture the way he played the puck his side to side motions. I remember playing with my friends who were Leaf fans pretending to be Sittler and MacDonald. They would come down and try to deke me and when they shot one buddy would always say in Foster Hewitts voice Sittler shoots and I would say in Gallivans voice Drydennnnnnnn the titillating save LMAO

• jimmy shaker says:

Great memories to have Frank. Dryden is an all time great. What a great history the habs have. Hoping there are more memories to have in the very near future.

Shaker out.

• Frank2468 says:

Thanks for this it brings back memories of a great cup run with 10 overtime wins. I thought it was over when the Habs went down 2 games to zip to Nordiques in the first round. And then the miracle run started.

RDS has a question – who’s doing a better job, Therrien or Roy. Are they on crack? Is this a trick question?

So let me guess. Therrien is still the coach? Right? Right?

• jimmy shaker says:

We’ve definitely got people working on that!

Shaker out!

• Frank2468 says:

I know this sounds off the wall and won’t happen for a few reasons.

1) He’s been out of hockey since 1994 so he’s out of touch
        2) Don’t think he wants to do it anymore
        3) He’s a Senator in the house.

But I think Demers would be a coach I would like to see behind the bench. He’s a good coach and a players coach. And of all the coaches since Demers with the exception of Julien and Muller have left little to be desired. I’d love to see Demers as head coach Julien assistant and Muller running special teams now that’s a coaching staff. And 2 out of 3 speak French so there are good ones out there, they just need to be hired. Note to Molson if your listening no more antichambre rejects.

72. jimmy shaker says:

Here’s some questions for you chaps:

What were the boys on the antichambre talking about? The part where Damphousse and Roy were going back and fourth and laughing a lot, if that helps.

second one: I think the celtics in the NBA traded their coach (Rivers) to brooklyn last year. Am I correct and what did brooklyn give up if I am correct. And if I am correct what would you boys be willing to give up to colorado if we could trade for roy?

Lastly: As I sit here trying to understand bits and pieces of what they are talking about, I can’t help but go back to the 93 final and all the crazy moments that went along with the boys hoisting lord stanely for the 24th and last time. What are some of your favourite memories of that fabled run?

I’ve got Kirk Muller in OT vs hextall and Lebeau in OT vs Healy.

Shaker out!