St. Patrick’s Day at Bell Centre; Habs send Bournival to Hamilton for conditioning

Avalanche a perfect fit for Patrick Roy – and vice-versa: Stubbs column

Coming off back-to-back weekend victories over the Ottawa Senators and Buffalo Sabres, the Canadiens held an optional practice at noon Monday in Brossard. Meanwhile, St. Patrick held court at the Bell Centre downtown.

All three goalies – Carey Price, Peter Budaj and Dustin Tokarski - took part in the practice along with Rene Bourque, George Parros, Ryan White, Alex Galchenyuk, Brendan Gallagher, Dale Weise, Jarred Tinordi, Douglas Murray and Michael Bournival.

Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin announced after practice that Bournival has been assigned to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs for conditioning. Bournival has been sidelined since Feb. 6 with a concussion, missing 11 games. Bournival will be in the Bulldogs’ lineup Wednesday when they play host to the Abbotsford Heat.

In 50 games with the Canadiens this season, the 21-year-old Bournival has 6-7-13 totals and 14 penalty minutes. He spent all last season in Hamilton, posting 10-20-30 totals and 26 penalty minutes in 69 games.

Bournival was selected by the Colorado Avalanche in the third round (71st overall) of the 2010 NHL entry draft and was acquired by the Canadiens later that year in exchange for defenceman Ryan O’Byrne, who is now playing for Prague Lev in the KHL.

On Sunday night in Buffalo, Tokarski got the call in goal for the Canadiens instead of Budaj and made 29 saves for his first NHL shutout in a 2-0 victory. Price, who earned the victory Saturday against the Senators, didn’t make the trip to Buffalo.

“Obviously, I would like to play,” Budaj told reporters after practice. “The coach is going to decide whose playing and if it is me I’ll be ready to help the team to try to climb in the standings and keep climbing.”

Budaj has an 8-8-2 record this season with one shutout, a 2.50 goals-against average and a .907 save percentage.

When Budaj was asked in a media scrum Monday if he felt he had coach Michel Therrien’s full confidence, the goaltender said: “I think so. I’m doing everything I can. There’s stuff that I can control. … My work ethic, my preparation, my time when I get a chance to play when they decided to play me. That’s what I’m trying to do. So I think so. They make the decisions whose playing and I’m just going to control the stuff that I have in my hands.”

Tokarski was asked if he felt he’s created a good impression overall in his three appearances with the Habs, posting a 2-0-0 record with a 1.84 goals-against average and .946 save percentage.

“I hope so,” he said. “That’s what you want to do, you get an opportunity you try and seize it. I think I’ve played well and did a good job and hopefully can continue doing that.

“It was time for me to take another step in my career and I definitely think this is it, whether I play another game or not this season,”  the 24-year-old added. “It was a great step and look to build off it for the rest of the season and next year.”

The Canadiens announced late Monday afternoon that Tokarski had been assigned to the Bulldogs.

Therrien didn’t speak with the media on Monday.

While the Canadiens were practising in Brossard, Colorado head coach Patrick Roy was putting the Avalanche through a practice at the Bell Centre.

The Canadiens will face the Avalanche Tuesday night (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690) in Roy’s first appearance at the Bell Centre as the Avalanche’s head coach.

Roy, in his rookie season behind an NHL bench, is a leading candidate to win the Jack Adams Award as the league’s top coach. After finishing with the second-worst record in the NHL last season (16-25-7), the Avalanche has a 44-19-5 record this season and sits second in the Central Division standings.

When asked by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs during a press conference Monday at the Bell Centre whether he had looked up at his No. 33 hanging from the rafters during practice, Roy said: “I forgot. See how focused I am for the game?”

Roy then said he was just kidding and added: “I made sure it was there with no dust on it.”

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

You can watch what Roy had to say on Monday at the Bell Centre here: (Video by Pierre Obendrauf/The Gazette)

Price focuses on Avs’ scorers, getting his timing back in net by Brenda Branswell

Habs Notebook, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Habs sweep weekend, move into second place, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Tokarski doesn’t have time for pregame jitters, by Pat Hickey

Tokarski delivers Montreal bagel, Canadiens.com

Looking back on 20 years of sports columns, by Jack Todd

St. Patrick’s Day in Montreal for Roy, Stu on Sports blog

Subban starts his own website, Stu on Sports blog

All Things Avs, Denver Post

Sens-ational win for Avalanche, coloradoavalanche.com

1. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=709470

I heard this story on NHL yesterday. I had problems wearing my Habs center ice polo shirt one night, but the section I was in rallied around me when I calmly stood up turned to face the beer drinking fan, and I whispered in his ear “I got 21 f$%%$ years infantry, 5 tours overseas and one citation for courage under fire, if I were you I’d shut it.” He calmly sat down and his friends beside him stopped too, they left ten seconds later and the rest of the section cheered for me. The guy beside me asked me what I said but I declined to tell him the story.

The Jets arena isn’t the same as the Old barn, the fans are nasty, and nothing like the old days. Mind you in the old days we were all Original 6 fans….my god listen to me I sound like I’m 80.

Anyways, Mtl vs Toronto in the first round could be a possibility, I am smacking my lips for a road trip!

I heard some interesting things on HNIC radio this afternoon, said Therrien is lucky the Habs came back and won on Saturday.

Big Bobby D ripped coach a new one today too.

Tick tick tick

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

2. kempie says:

Ok, so check this out:

My lovely wife is a balloon artist/children’s entertainer. She is able to make the craziest stuff from balloons. As I type this, she is working on a job for a client for tomorrow. They have asked for the Red Wings’ logo made of balloons.

I will keep y’all posted and post pics of the finished piece. In the meantime, check out her gallery on her website:

• Gehlsen says:

Very cool stuff… make one for the habs/Canada and will have Boone toss it up for everyone to see.:)

Les Habitant!

• Loop_Garoo says:

That’s very cool! I spend most of my time working with Arts and Culture groups, what she’s doing with the balloons… that’s just great art, some really cool stuff there.

• kempie says:

We’re from Peterborough. Thanks for the props. Yeah, she really is amazing. She had absolutely no idea how to do any of this two years ago. She tells me she wants to be a balloon artist and two years later, I come out and this stuff is in the kitchen. She just learned it from Youtube stuff etc. Amazing right?

Anyway, she now has, what I think is a pretty awesome RW logo but is still tweaking it and won’t let me post a pic yet.

• habstrinifan says:

Really cool. I can see why her work is in demand.

But geez.. you people are so freakin young these days. She looks like 3 mths outta high school or something.

3. ProHabs says:

Should the Habs trade Louis Leblanc to the Winnipeg Jets for Patrice Cormier.

• Gehlsen says:

For size an weight sure..that’s about all your getting. His stats don’t say much but then again neither does Leblanc.

Les Habitant!

• Frozen Village says:

I would. Leblanc has a chip on his shoulder with the habs, to the point it has effected his desire to improve given his course set-out to do so by the previous admin. (Rightfully so) Imagine, a player 15 pounds heavier, a stride faster, and more focused, as he has but 2 summers to complete his degree from Harvard.

Cormier is bigger, more seasoned and fits the Jets mold, don’t think they souls do it.
      I think You have to go back to Wickenheiser, for a more botched development of a habs 1st rounder.

More Swedes for the Lions in Winter

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Good suggestion. I would not give up on Louis yet but I think the Habs have.

4. ProHabs says:

Gotta love the reaction of this guy 3 seconds into the video.

5. habcertain says:

anyone get a chance to see Subban’s website? I think he has a career in media if he wants, and the ability to generate ancillary revenue.

6. Marc10 says:

Since we’re talking about tomorrow… What a nightmare that Colorado match up looks like. They’ll be up for the game. Roy, Tourigny, Allaire, Giguere, Mackinnon, Parenteau and the rest will want to play for them. It’s going to be a big, big test.

• Habcouver says:

Tomorrow’s game will be a confidence builder… or a confidence breaker. I hope it’s the former. :)

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

7. hitgurl says:

Kilkenny is awesome!!

8. mrhabby says:

some talk on here about some sort of bias against the habs its really beyond me.

i only see it with Don Cheery but thats about it folks.

Habs fans are crazy.

9. adadi says:

Roy is a winner. Therrien the exact opposite. Although anything can happen, Watch for the Nothing to be completely out coached tomorrow and the Habs to be blown out of the water.

• mrhabby says:

love ur optimism ..dont change it.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

It’s understated how often MT gets his desired line matchups.. Patch has 30 partly because his line is put in favourable offensive positions. The opposite can be said for Pleks, utilized fairly well as a defensive specialist. Ice time is great for the most part with the exception of Markov who gets 5 minutes too much per game (just my opinion) but he really doesn’t have many options to eat up minutes on the back end.

It’d be tough forward group of forwards to coach if your committed to Patch-DD and Plek-Gio duos.. The your left mixing and matching.. Although it took far too long to put Vanek with DD and Patch.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Gehlsen says:

Everyone is expecting us to lose…see it as it may…but I beg to differ…we will fight and take it all.

I don’t always have confidence in our team but I know it’s time to break the egg and come out sunny side.

Les Habitant!

10. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Now we know there is bias against the Habs in the non-Quebec media in Canada. There is obvious photographic/video evidence that the puck was clearly loose on the OT goal. But where are the photos on these websites or in those newspapers? Yeah right…

11. jimmy shaker says:

Who are we cheering for tonight? I don’t know where I want to finish. Second spot at least we get home ice, but are playing taranna or the bolts. 3rd spot, opening on the road either vs taranna or the bolts. Maybe a wild card spot? I actually feel better playing the cubs or pens vs the leafs or bolts.

Shaker out!

12. Mr_MacDougall says:

If I could institute 5 changes to hockey:

1) no long change in 2nd period

2) no change for the team that causes stoppage in play (deflection, offsides, penalty.. Exceptions are goaltender freezing puck and a goal)

3) no touch icing

4) drastically reduce goalie gear.. Specifically the blocker (width and length) trapper (cheater and size reduced) pads reduced to 9″ and foot-knee cap + 4″

5) no bonus point for OT/SO loss or 3 points for regulation win, either way.. Equal game value

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Hobie Hansen says:

1) They’re actually going to change OT so it’s like the 2nd period and there is a long change. They say it creates more goals.

3) No touch icing was instituted this season.

• jimmy shaker says:

1) that’s where the majority of the goals come from in the NHL, the second period with the long change.

2) don’t really like that at all, am fine with the no change icing rule. That’s enough for me.

3) I think your saying you want to get rid of the no touch icing….again, I’m against you and with grapes on this one…..will save people’s careers and lives the way it is implemented now.

4) Think the equipment is fine now that it is specifically tailored to each tender. I think kay whitemore and kris king have done a great job with it. Would leave it alone.

5) I think you only should get a point if you make it into the shootout. If you lose in OT then you get nadda. Make OT 10 min. first 5 min = 5 vs. 5 then the last 5 min. 4 vs 4. Plus get the zamboni out there to clean the whole sheet of ice.

Rules I would change: automatic 4 min if you draw blood on a highsticking infraction. I’ve seen some pretty nasty 2 min minors where the guy must have had alligator skin to not be bleeding and then some chincy 4 min calls where the guy bleeds if he picks his nose.

Also I would get rid of the penalty where the two guys go to the box on the play where one guy dives and the other is guilty of the infraction. I would only call the diver and that’s it!

Also the whole kicking motion debate needs to be fixed!

Shaker out!

• Mr_MacDougall says:

There is still touch icing when “it’s a close race” I’d eliminate touch icing all together.

The kicking is huge! Has to be looked at, I agree.

A friend of mine mentioned how he thinks the blue line is stupid, I tried to defend it.. But my only argument was because “it’s the blue line, how can you play without the blue line” … He argued there’s far too much reward for the D clearing the zone and far too much punishment for going offside on the rush..

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• habstrinifan says:

Lots of good thoughts.

13. scamorza says:

growing up in Montreal rooting for the habs was indeed a religion. One friend picked for Boston so he was no longer a friend, that after dunking his head In a snow drift. Since leaving la belle province there are some things that don’t change a habs fan through and through. it struck me that many members here are not from Quebec and perhaps unlike me never lived in the province. So my question how did you become a habs fan? look I suppose you hate the leafs like me bitter rivalry and all but I recognize that there are many leaf fans across Canada so why the habs and not the leafs? Just curious!
    come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

For me it was simple, as a kid when I first started to watch sports and specifically hockey, nobody played it more beautiful than the Habs. Growing up in Winnipeg, the Jets came but were WHA and while I like the team and cheer for them, they have and always will be second fiddle.

Guy Lafleur cemented for me that Habs were the team to watch and cheer for.

• scamorza says:

Thanks for the post I figured past habs greats must have had something’ to do with this but I appreciate that the leafs did as well? I mean Dryden was great in that era Plante going further back still hurts to think of Vachon losing the cup – Ok not only his fault but hey Bower was a pretty good goalie stopping his face with pucks and all. And yes that lemaire Shutt and Lafleur line was one of the best

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• habstrinifan says:

” nobody played it more beautiful than the Habs.”

Ditto! Also as a new Canadian living in Toronto, I though the Leaf (and media) masqueraded themselves too much as real Canadians.

I like the French/English compostion and the difficulty of being a ‘hab’.. it kinda spoke to me.

• habcertain says:

I was from Montreal and rooted for the home team, then it became an obsession because when I started to get into it, they always won, never missing the playoffs, always a cup or near miss. Like Burl Lafleur was a god, man I loved those teams. seems so far away now….

• Habfun says:

I live in Ottawa, we had 13 kids in my family, 11 original and 2 adopted, actually my parents never did legally adopt them they just took them in when their parents who were a couple of drunks (they lived next door) and were evicted and moved away and just left the two boys, ages 2 and 5 they were always at our place anyway My Mom made sure of that so they could get fed and cleaned. We never heard from their real parents and my brothers have not looked for them to this day! this was back in the late 50s. They are still my brother and I love them as such!
      anyway, we didn’t have much money, only my Dad worked and my Mom did all the rest! I think it was 1970 my Dad won a contest of a trip by bus to Montreal to see the Habs and Bruins at the forum, he took me and my 2 adopted brothers (I was 14). MAN TALK ABOUT EXCITEMENT! they were standing room tickets and I was awestruck. Montreal won! I will never ever forget that day, I have been a Hab fan ever since! I came from a poor family but I am blessed not only to have great parents and family (my dad has passed on). But also to be able to cheer for the Habs all my life!
      That is my experience Go Habs Go!!

It’s all about the CH

• Habcouver says:

My dad and I loved John Ferguson, the true policeman and enforcer, from Vancouver. Back in the day, Vancouver was in the old Western Hockey League and dominated most years against Art Jones and the Portland Buckaroos et al. where dad and I frequented the old Forum on Renfrew Street.
      As a kid, I was not about to change allegiances just because the Canucks became an NHL franchise.
      So, I guess I’m true to the Habs in my genetic make-up and from the number of hours that dad and I followed the Habs on HNIC from the Westcoast.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• NoTinFoilCups says:

I was probably about 4 years old at the time with four older brothers, 2 Wings fans and 2 Leafs. My first impulse was naturally to choose either Wings or Leafs but they said I had to go for another team. I said Montreal but they said “no that’s French, can’t go there” so settled on the Hawks. Anyway that year (early 60′s) the Habs won the cup and once I learned a little about the legendary players and history I was all in.

Boy it was great all those years lording it over them!

14. Habcouver says:

2-0 Bolts = stupid Canucks!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

15. Just A Guy says:

Vancouver is going through the same thing Montreal did when we finished 27th in the league, they’ve been stunned into playing crap hockey. Even still, they have managed to look a little bit dangerous against Tampa, but it’s already in the bag. Just like in Boston.

16. hitgurl says:

This is a terrible app. The posts aren’t grouped properly

17. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Happy St. Pats day to all the Irish posters. Not a Guiness drinker but Smithwicks is my favorite. All the best!

18. Mavid says:

wow Sean Avery is on DWTS..he really is an A hole..hopefully he will be the first one to be tossed

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Hobie Hansen says:

See the post below about a potential Ottawa/Gatineu mini-summit?

• Mavid says:

Yes I was just reading it..sounds good..there are lots of decent bars to watch..its making sure the Habs games are on that can be an issue .The Real Sports Bar on the market..St Louis is a nice spot..Wild Wings.. I personally don’t mind the Cage aux Sport..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• D Mex says:

Is the Maple Leaf still there at the corner of Montreal Rd and St Laurent Blvd ?
          Used to be a great place to grab a cold beer years back – they served a decent hamburger steak, too.

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• Mavid says:

Maple Leaf closed down years ago its gone I think its a bank now…Liam’s could be a possibility but he has nothing to do with it, other than they paid or are paying him to use his name

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• habstrinifan says:

Isnt Liam ‘connected’ to tha t bar at St Laurent and Innes. You knw Liam the diehard Canadians fan. It bears his name. He would go nuts welcoming a mini summit there.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I was thinking d-bag but you’re right…A@#hole.

• mrhabby says:

personality of a flee.

19. JohnBellyful says:

St. Patrick’s Day it is, so let us have a limerick:

A man by the name of O’Brien
    Launched a team of Frenchmen O-Flyin’
    Many cups they have won
    Now it seems they are done
    Ah, what can you do. So who’s buyin’?

20. hitgurl says:

Why do the Dogs suck so bad?

• Lafleurguy says:

Key guys on the ’07 Calder Cup team, D’Agostini, Kostitsyn, Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Halak, Grabovski, Chipchura, Corey Locke, Troy Bodie (!), and a 20 yr. Johnny-come-lately named Price. Less talent in the many years since (except when P.K. and Max were on the team).

21. hitgurl says:

It amazes me how someone like Leblanc can let himself drop off the map. He’s so close! He must not have the right kind of support around him to give him the insight he needs into what is going on

• ffenliv says:

It’s possible he just doesn’t have it. I mean, no amount of support or insight could get me into the lineup.

Prospects are, with only a handful of exceptions per generation, very much an unknown quantity. Had other NHL teams known Subban was going to win a Norris, they wouldn’t have let him slip to the second round. Datsyuk was taken in the 5th or 6th round. Top picks bust all the time.

Some kids look amazing in junior, but can’t put it together in the NHl. Some kids have never faced any adversity in their playing lives, always been two levels above everyone else, and they don’t know what to do when they’re not just better anymore.

Leblanc has the added struggle of being small. You can point to players like St Louis and Gallagher, but the average player is a LOT bigger than these guys.

22. hitgurl says:

I hope PK plays great tomorrow and Roy praises him after the game. Wouldn’t that be fun!

23. UKRAINIANhab says:

Ok everyone, when will Vanek score his 1st as a hab?

• Hobie Hansen says:

I heard Melnick on the drive home this afternoon. Aside from Hemsky, none of the big trade day acquisitions are racking up the points yet. St. Louis has no goals, Callahan has one, Vanek has none, Ott has none. I’m forgetting a few others as well.

Vanek has had 10 shots or something the last two games. It will come.

Kovalev had one empty net goal after the Habs acquired him at the deadline years ago. He then had 10 points (I think) in 11 games during the playoffs.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I checked and you are right. Also, Kovy was almost a point per game scorer in 33 playoff games for the Habs.

Never understood the people who said he didn’t show up for big games.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’ve always been more of the power-forward, Canadain, grinder kinda guy. Guys like Kovalev and hopefully Vanek are the exception though. They might not go looking for it but they’re big, can take a hit and are ultra talented. I loved Kovalev as a Hab. Unfortunately, the team around him wasn’t built up enough…

24. boonie says:

Below there was a nice discussion about Glenn Hall and how he was the first ‘tender to use the butterfly style. Got me thinking about two things.

1. Looking back on his career record, I was stunned by the number of tie games in his record. Playing every game for the Wings and ‘Hawks, from 1955-1962 and most games after that, he averaged a prorated 13 ties per 70 game season. That would be 15 ties in today’s 82 game sked. The point, a ridiculous number of games ending in ties is not specific to low scoring games.

2. Hall was 5’11 – a little smaller than the average sized modern goalkeeper. The butterfly effectively takes away the bottom of the net. If the average goalkeeper height is now (let’s say 6’3”), the NHL could add 2”-3” to the top of the net to give shooters more room.

• scamorza says:

Can you imagine how many times. He threw up in one year?

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Ktowner says:

I am a goalie guy and have a great respect for Hall. As an innovator he was ahead of his time and those who studied the position over the years credit him as not only developing the butterfly but also with starting the move now referred to as the butterfly slide.
      At 5’11″ he was relatively big for his era (remember the Gumper wasn’t that big) and his upper body was usually erect when he was on his knees.
      Without over time and shootouts, teams played a little differently a point is a point after all and that old “getting a point on a road game” was very important.
      Remember when the Habs had only 8 losses in a season? Quite a few ties as I recall.

25. Habfan10912 says:

Can you imagine getting Bugs, Bellyful and Front in the same room? Folks would pay good money for that show, eh?

26. Marc10 says:

Great that Bourni gets a chance to skate with the Dogs. I hope his professionalism and work ethic rub off on a few prospects.

Will be interesting to see who they line him up with. Wonder if by chance he plays with Leblanc and see what the two of them can do together. Might be good for Leblanc to see up close and personal how Bournival is playing. Don’t say this as a slight on Louis, but genuinely hope it could help him.

• Habfan10912 says:

Just curious Burly but when is the time where the club gives up on Louie?

Fair question, but I still firmly believe that Bulldogs team has had very little talent up front for Louis to play with. Granted Gally and Bournival achieved success without that help. I don’t see how it hurts the team to keep him around at least through next year.

I think his greatest challenge is recognizing the kind of player that got him drafted will not be the role he plays if he is to forge a career in the NHL. At least that is how it looks to me.

• Marc10 says:

LL is a bit of an enigma. Yes he got a really bad injury and the coaching changes seem to have done his confidence in. Maybe he assumed too quickly that he had made the show…

What’s undeniable is that when the Habs had brought him up, he looked OK on the third line. He had good vision, but he didn’t have the size and power of a regular player yet. From my vantage point, he looked better than DD when Davey made his first stint with the Habs… so I had hopes that Louis would continue in his progression. I didn’t expect he’d ever make the top six, but I hoped he could become a useful third liner with some skills… a poor man’s Chris Higgins.

Whereas DD worked on his skating and his shot, and used his bag of tricks to the fullest, LL didn’t seem to evolve. He didn’t strengthen up like management asked him to and so guys like Bourni just passed him by.

In that sense I hope he sees first hand what he needs to work on. Bourni is a great model for him in that respect. Bourni has NHL pace, but he’s also a beast at working out. He’s driven and very serious about his game and as such he’s a great example of what you can do with a ‘non all-star skillset’ and a bit of drive.

27. Captain aHab says:

Just curious: Who on here lives in the general Gatineau/Ottawa region?

CJ, Mavid, myself, who else? Wondering if people might be up for a mini-”summit” at a sports bar at some point.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

28. Psycho29 says:

Mike John_son of TSN just gave PK Subban a “Dud” status because of his 3:19 shift. According to John_son PK had ample opportunity to make a change. WOW

29. scrotchland says:

On 690 heard a clip of Therian about Toharski: “The team played well in front of him”.
    does he mean the team DOESN’T try to play well in front of Budaj? Or Price???
    What an imbicile he is insinuating that!!

you would never hear the great coaches like Toe Blaik, bowman or dick irwin say that.

• johnnylarue says:

This sort of thing makes sense when you consider Therrien spent his twenties writing underhanded compliments for a novelty greeting card company in Laval…

(This was a decade or so before he learned how to juggle lines at Hockey Clown School.)

• chanchilla says:

the only one insinuating anything is you.

• Bugs says:

Uhh…
      Wow.
      Question: when you say that “you would never hear Toe Blake, Bowman or Dick Irwin say that”, are you saying that you WOULD hear coaches like Roger Nielson, Al Arbour and Fred Shero say that???!!!”
      Oh my gosh, I can’t believe you’re insinuating that!
      Advice: Next time you say something nice about someone, make sure to name EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE WORLD who is also nice so as to not insinuate how much they’re not.

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

That’s a bit of a reach, my friend. No story to be outraged about there.

• Steven says:

Ok, I finally have enough to call it: You’re a legitimate troll.

It’s not the outlandish insinuation that gave it away(we get enough of that from completely serious and genuine members of the commentariat) but the name spelling.

At first, I thought it might have been ignorant, but honest mistakes. Now, I see it’s part of the act. You misspelled every name in this post(except Price and Budaj. Not sure why you stopped short of them but I’m sure there’s a good reason), some ridiculously so. I could buy the Irvin/Irwin confusion, and even Therrien, but Toharski doesn’t even pronounce itself like Tokarski, and Blaik is a real caricatured spelling, and one that even an honest mistake couldn’t account for.

9.5/10. You had me fooled the entire time.

• Gehlsen says:

That’s f’n bull…story about nothing. Yes Budaj had a rough patch but it don’t mean much he’s 31 years old…he’s got lots in the tank. I state his age cause I’m the same age and I don’t see him going down because of his age or lack of.

Tokarski I believe is young like a sponge and will do everything Waite has him doing…does it mean he’s the next back up…no…Maybe…who knows. But what we do know is we have a good line up of good goalies down the tube and a good coach who will help along the way.

When it comes to Tokarski man he can stop the puck when due but for most part the audience realize he is small and it throws everyone off including me….I think that’s why TB let him go.

In time Waite can really mentor this kid to be a legit contender..

He’s what 24 years old…he’s quick on the draws andhas hockey sense.

Les Habitant!

• Loop_Garoo says:

You hear coaches, but even more, you hear goalies say that all the time. It’s a standard line, like “give 110%” or “we have to work harder and go to the net more”

30. AceTen says:

Anyone have a link to a pic that shows Lehner didn’t have the puck covered in OT on Saturday?

31. Maritime Ronn says:

Patrick Roy will be a guest on Antichambre tonight at 9:30 Montreal time.
    I do not know if MarioTremblay will be present, yet Patrick will mention that Mario was a great Hab and good Leader during his time….
    Just watch – you’ll see…

• jimmy shaker says:

Hearing him say his name in the list of greats was puzzling to me. I remember reading how Tremblay didn’t like Roy much as a rookie and really had a very poor relationship with him throughout his time as a player and as we all know, coaching the club. So either patty is deflecting, forgetting, mis spoke or is just burying the hatchet. Wish my telly had a translate button. Should be a good interview. A good prelude to tomorrow’s huge ovation he is deserving of from all the 21 273!

Shaker out!

• habstrinifan says:

And he would be right! Peel away the infamy that Maro Tremblay garnered as the coach and with the Roy fiasco ( I know very hard to do), this player was a true HABS.

Even though he was not a ‘big player’ or a ‘fighter’ per se, I remember many many times turning on my TV for a game at the Boston gahden and glad that Maro Tremblay would be laying it all on the line against those ‘big bad bruins”. It was KARMA of the highest order that he was the one who put the nail in the Bruins coffin in ‘that’ game.

I know that history says Lambert scored. But really and truly it was Tremblay’s goal all the way.

People revere Kovalev and Koivu. I’m ok with that. But I would put Mario Tremblay ahead of them in my list of great HABS.

• D Mex says:

Riveting …

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

• habstrinifan says:

Riveting??? Should I be looking for the sarcasm font??
          Sorry.. just not sure what you mean.

• habcertain says:

sorry. like you, I enjoyed the Lambert/Risebourgh/Tremblay line and they created a lot of havoc but as a coach he was a big tool. he was way in way over his head, and it was a big head.

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

(Foither) confirmation that a great mgmnt person a ( good/great/impactful) player doth not necessarily make.

For what it’s worth, I found the comment re Tremblay not backing down/creating havoc against the Bruins to be “bang on”. He wasn’t big, but totally embodied the word feisty. Took on anyone (including the uber tough guy…Stan Johnathon) and held his own. (he was a fairly decent fighter) Loved the edge in his play.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Ah the politics of sport

• DipsyDoodler says:

Patrick has already been on l’Antichambre many times (never with Mario as far as I know).

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• scamorza says:

In his interview with TSN he spoke about learning from great leaders in the dressing room gained, and yes even said tremblay

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

32. Danno says:

LOL! RDS reporter Luc Gélinas described the Price, Budaj and Tokarski goalie dilemma as “un ménage à trois au filet”

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

33. boing007 says:

While you’re at it, send Beaulieu back to Montreal.

Richard R

34. Sportfan says:

Are people seriously surprised that Tokarski got sent down…

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

35. Bugs says:

So I spent the weekend at friends’ place.
    Saturday night, playing Risk with the game in the background. 4-1, my boy turns the game off. Few minutes later, I realize it and ask what’s up. He goes “Aaah, 4-1, 10 mins left; c’mon, man.”
    I made a face, but admittedly, didn’t snap and make a fuss like I usually do.
    So Risk ends, and while my boy is gettin us more, uh, “beverages”, I turn the tv back on to catch Antichambre off the get-go. I see those clowns all grinnin, and I’m like “What’re these clowns grinnin about?”
    Needless to say, I found out.
    My boy comes back down and I’m glarin at him.
    He’s like “…what?”
    And I’m glarin.
    He goes “What?!”
    And I’m glarin.
    Then he goes “..Nooo…”
    And I go “Uh, yeah!”
    So he goes “No w…” and that’s as far as he got because my hands were around his neck and I was proceeding to throttle him with reckless fury just as my pappy taught me to do against a wild boar when in a pinch.
    Musta blacked out cuz next thing I know, his wife’s attempting to peel me off her husband with the snow-shovel and screaming in my ear “You’re killing him, Bugs! You’re killing him!”
    So, that was Saturday.
    Sunday, we watched the whooooole game, yeah? Every jot and tittle as the King says (wasn’t about hockey at the time, but the point still applies today…if I want it to).
    And what was great about last night’s game was that the arena in Buffaler was so quiet, you could REALLY hear Vanek cussing every time he shanked one.
    Anyone else notice that?
    Cheers.

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

• habstrinifan says:

Nice story!

• johnnylarue says:

Sorry you missed it, Bugs.

I think most of us had also turned off the game–if only metaphysically speaking–by the time Larry’s meek ‘consolation goal’ was scored. So in spite of the heinous crime your friend unintentionally committed, I’m glad to hear his wife was able to step in and downgrade the charge from murder to second degree funslaughter.

• Bugs says:

Yeah, but…still. Friends don’t do that.
        … turn off the game, I mean.
        What I did was totally above-board; not a court in this country would’ve convicted me.

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

• twilighthours says:

The king’s jot and tittle… Amazing.

Good read Bugs, yup heard the voices on the ice all night. Especially liked it after Gallagher was bowled over into Enroth and obviously Conacher was chirping when the ref yelled “Conacher you wanna sit for 10 minutes!”

• jimmy shaker says:

Probably should’ve lightened up with reckless fury and maybe just settle for a thunder punch to the throat! But I can understand your fit of rage! Hope the snow shovel is okay, we may still very well need it!

Shaker out!

• Bugs says:

I had considered a People’s Elbow in the heat of the moment until I realized: Hey, waitaminnit; I don’t KNOW any people!

Left turn-missin’ L. B. Potter.

• jimmy shaker says:

Well if he was acting like a jabroni….the people’s eyebrow would’ve sufficed, and the people would be okay even without prior written consent or knowledge. It is a very fine line though.

Shaker out!

• Cal says:

Great Hare’s Tale, Bugs! :D
      And a lesson learned: don’t give up on the team that doesn’t give up.

36. habstrinifan says:

Congrats to Jack Todd on his anniversary. Nice column. Dont know if it was modesty or unwillingness to name drop but you seem to have gone a bit light on ‘inside stories’ which always fascinate.

Wondering about your metaphorical situation re ‘fit the left-handed French radio reporters in that space’

I am curious. Sitting here in Ottawa, I get the impression that ‘sports radio’ is a bigger deal among the English than the French in Mtl.. .. and therefore French radio sports reporters are a rare breed and of course even rarer would be a left-handed one.

The fact that you did not simply say ‘left handed sports radio reporter ‘ has me wondering if my long distance supposition is right.

• Sportfan says:

I enjoyed his article, I may not agree with him all the time, but he writes good articles

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• habstrinifan says:

It is interesting how his career is tied in with Farber’s. They may not like my depiction. But if you were to give their writing style separatist personas, Farber’s would be Rene Levesque in Lucien Bouchard’s wardrobe and Todd would be Lucien Bouchard in Rene Levesque’s wardrobe.

I enjoy them both.

37. DipsyDoodler says:

The great website fivethirtyeight.com is relaunched today and here’s a cool article on hockey, and the reason for the lack of goals:

It’s ironic that the two innovations most responsible for the lack of goals in hockey are due to Jacques Lemaire (the trap) and Patrick Roy (the butterfly).
    —–
    Moving. Forward.

• AliHaba says:

I’d say that the butterfly concept had its beginning with Glenn Hall.

• I always thought Tretiak and Tony Esposito were the founders :)

I’ll have to find some Hall footage.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• BJ says:

Alihaba is correct, Glenn Hall was the first butterfly style goalie. I saw him play live a number of times and he was great. I remember going to two playoff games in 1961 and he beat the Habs on his own in the semis. They went on to win the Cup and brake our streak at 5.

• Cal says:

Dick Irvin Sr. had the Habs playing the trap in the late 40s.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

A couple of other reasons. Roy also had an effect on young players wanting to play in goal. Before that the best athletes rarely wanted to don goaltending pads. Also besides the size of the equipment, the size of the netminder increased a lot too.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

38. Danno says:

Will tomorrow night’s match be another measuring-stick game?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

39. AliHaba says:

Reading Jack Todd’s column gave me the thought that he is the reason for all that has gone bad in Montreal sports since 1993.

40. Habitant in Surrey says:

Canadiens prospect with meningitis still in coma, but doctors say condition is improving

_________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

Campaign to Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!!

41. Maritime Ronn says:

Re Tokarski:

First off, Peter Budaj appears to be a great teammate and a great ‘compliment’ to Carey Price.
    He is no threat to Carey, as Jonathan Bernier may have been….
    Over and above that, no one has ever questioned Budaj’s work ethic and mental state of readiness when asked to play.

When Carey was healthy, and Budaj was called upon for the odd occasion to play, he played very/extremely well.
    Yet put into perspective, and reviewing his starts at the beginning of this year, they were usually games played on the road with little expectation and NO pressure to win – a point would have been great.
    Budaj certainly surpassed the expectations.

That stated, any time Budaj has been handed the reigns as THE starter for the Habs – and all the pressures both mental and physical that go along with that role- be that last year in Game 5 against Ottawa, or the recent, longer term replacement of Carey, he has disappointed and could not handle the situation.

Here’s believing Tokarski will challenge Budaj for the back-up position next year…and perhaps even this year.

Tokarski’s pre NHL credentials are somewhat similar to Carey Price, yet he was never ‘given’ the job in Tampa, nor allowed to show his stuff.

He was allowed to play 7 NHL games divided between 2 seasons (09/10-11/12) on some bad, and injury riddled Tampa teams.

Tokarski: Memorial Cup winner and voted MVP of the Tournament.
    Price: Voted Best goaltender of the WHL.

Tokarski and Price: Winners of Canada Gold at the World Juniors
    Tokarski and Price: Winners of an AHL Calder Cup.

In terms of the ‘Business of Hockey’ where every Cap Dollar is key, Tokarski will be an RFA this summer and will probably cost slightly more than 50% of Budaj’s $ 1.4M Cap Hit.

• D Mex says:

I have had similar thoughts on Budaj performances when given ample lead time to prepare. Less time to worry and stress can be a blessing, as most or all have probably experienced.

This said, it probably goes without saying that a ‘ hidden ‘ strength working in Tokarski’s favour is that he is largely an unknown in the league. This is not unlike a pitcher or other athlete(s) in ‘ featured ‘ positions going thru a league until scouts etc have time to assess and catch up.

My take is that, if he is to have longevity and success at this level, he is going to have to do something to plug up the gaping holes he is showing in the top third of the net. It jumped out in the ANA game – no idea why they didn’t adjust more, and BUF is not / not the team that will expose too many weaknesses in their present state.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Mex

Points very well taken.
        Actually, if you look at Tokarski, he looks like Price before Stephane Waite got a hold of him..way down, and too much on his knees for no reason.

Waite’s stated philosophy is more hybrid and shooter challenging….and it is quite evident in terms of Price’s play this year.
        We’ll see how it all pans out…

• D Mex says:

For sure. If Tokarski is part of the path forward, I will be squarely behind it when the time comes.

Waite certainly seems to know what he’s doing with young goalies but, to state what is obvious, CP and Budaj present larger bodies to work with than Tokarski. This suggests to me that they may also play with slightly larger margins for error in terms of body positioning etc.

If memory serves, the goalie we picked up at the deadline is another big body, so it will indeed be interesting to see where all of this takes us. Whatever works best for the Habs – I know you agree. Cheers !

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

• JF says:

The one time Budaj was handed the reins and performed well was two years ago. Price had a concussion, so Budaj played the last seven or so games of the season, maintaining a save percentage of somewhere around .920. But again, this was a no-pressure situation. Habs were well out of the playoffs, and the only question remaining was how near the bottom we’d finish. In fact, many of us were hoping for losses rather than victories to avoid jeopardizing our draft position. So this supports your argument.

42. WVHabsfan says:

Diaz who?

43. UKRAINIANhab says:

This Wiese guy is also a very good player. Really effective 3rd liner.

44. CJ says:

Good afternoon friends.

Sorry I was not able to extend the courtesy of a reply to those posts in which I was a participant on the previous thread. I seem to have caught what is going around – at least within our house. I hope to catch up with everyone tomorrow.

Hoping that we hear more good news on the Tim Bozon front. I have been keeping a close eye, as I know many of you have, and hope for a full recovery. The positve news regarding his condition was heads and tails better than any win, even those against the Senators, Leafs or Bruins.

Best wishes, CJ

• shiram says:

Patrick Holland is looking to be more of a disappointment than Louis Leblanc.

• twilighthours says:

But he was always a long shot, though.

• shiram says:

Well sure, but I was hoping for more, considering he is already 22, 2 seasons in the AHL, and has only had 15g/29A in 116 games.

• 24 Cups says:

Holland is not a prospect and never really was one. His junior stats were inflated as an overage player.

I still hold out hope for Leblanc but I feel he needs to add some muscle and try to land a job as a RW on the 4th line. Play with some grit and physicality, learn to kill penalties and score the odd goal.

• D Mex says:

Holland also benefitted from being part of a very respectable WHL team in Portland.

I didn’t see LL play during his last call-up, but your comment about him needing to get bigger and stronger has been a common refrain since he was drafted.
            Not sure if your reference to a 4th line RW spot is with the Habs but, if yes, it would mean he plays in lieu of Weise, which I wouldn’t see as a favourable exchange for the team.

ALWAYS Habs -
            D Mex

• piper says:

I hope Thrower can heal up in time for training camp. It sounds like he tried to come back too early and re-injured it. The Habs can use more character players like him in the system.

45. duffy says:

Just watched the press conference with Roy, Very Classy, Hopefully someday we will see him back in Montreal as Coach or GM,

46. sudburyhabfan says:

Hey Fans…I am thinking about taking the trip from Sudbury, Ontario to check out the Habs/Detroit game on April 5th…any recommendations for hotels nearby? or should I say which ones are ones to avoid ;-)

• habs-fan-84 says:

I like the Novotel. Great view of the Bell Centre (assuming you get the right side) and literally 3 mins walk…meaning you can drink in your hotel room until the last minute (before going to La Cage of course).

• shiram says:

La Cage, really?
        The wings are ok, but beyond that, it’s pretty dismal.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Completely agree, the wings are brutal. I just go there for the atmosphere before the game – it’s become somewhat of a tradition with friends of ours.

• Mavid says:

I quite enjoy Le Cage, there is one in Gatineau its a great place to watch the game great atmosphere, most of the finger food is good, I agree the wings not so much..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Marek says:

I’ll be staying at novotel when I go to watch habs/rangers in april. I havent stayed there before but the location seemed to be close to everything which was one of the main reasons I chose to stay there.

• BramptonHab says:

I’ve stayed at 5 or 6 different hotels over the past 12 years for our annual trip. We prefer the Marriott Chateau Champlain as it’s the closest to the Bell Centre since you can walk there underground however not on the way back…but he Novotel is nice too. If you’re only going to the game I recommend Chateau Champlain but if you want to stay close to rue Ste-Catherine for some night life, the Novotel is better.

• skoalbandit says:

Chateau Champlain is the best by far. The visiting team usually stays there too.
        I went to the world cup when it was held in TO/MTL and stayed there. Team Canada was also staying there, ang got to meet most of the players and coaches!
        Great Time!

• Habfan10912 says:

Afternoon Sud. Here’s my take on the Hotel’s I’ve actually stayed at.

Queen Elizabeth Hotel – Great location especially if your coming by VIA Rail as the Hotel literally sits on top of the station. The rooms are small but staff is courteous and attentive. Just a few short blocks to the Bell Centre plus it connects to the Montreal Underground in case the Mrs. wants to do some shopping.

Hotel Europa – Small rooms but if you are on a tight budget it might be a good choice. Rooms are clean, staff very attentive and there is a great place for breakfast on site. There is no indoor parking. A couple blocks and your at the Bell Centre.

Le Centre Sheraton – Located across the street from the Bell Centre. Rooms a bit pricier but nice. Many amenities on site with indoor parking for cars. Staff can be a bit snobby.

Novotel – Indoor parking. Decent value for the money given the location. A couple block walk to the Bell Centre. Friendly staff. Rooms are normal size with microwaves and small refrigerators.

All these hotels are within close proximity to many Pubs such as Hurleys, Ye Ole Orchard Inn and McLeans Pub. Many great restaurants are all close by as well.

To me it doesn’t matter where I ended up staying. I always have a good time visiting the city. Have a great time!

47. 25insight says:

Man is TSN ever bad with their titles? http://tinyurl.com/qcavqlu

48. DipsyDoodler says:

Shouldn’t we wait until we master debating the least intellectual sport in the world before we tackle world politics?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

49. Habs_101 says:

Everything is falling into place, I think if we can get the following line-up in for playoffs (for the last 5-10) games we should be rolling;

Patch – DD – Vanek
    Galch – Eller – Gionta
    Briere – Plek – Gallagher
    Bournival – Prust – Weise

Moen/White/Parros/Bourque

Markov – Emelin
    Beaulieu – Subban
    Tinordi – Gorges
    Murray – Boullion

If Boullion is replaced with Beaulieu prior to playoffs (it really doesnt look like Hamilton is going to make it) I think that is the best lineup we can ice this season!

GO HABS GO!

• jlgib1019 says:

Bournival can’t crack this lineup for playoff hockey. I would much rather have moen. 4 minutes to go Saturday night and we weren’t going to make playoffs. Now we’re “dangerous”

jr

• Habs_101 says:

Who said anything about being dangerous? Chill out man.

Just my opinion that this is the best lineup that we could ice for the playoffs.

…and for the record Moen is a fraction of the player that Bournival is. Moen has no finish, nor the speed and skating of Bournival. He is bigger and can play defensively as well (SO will bournival), so i do think he will play for the playoffs. But dont agree with that! ;)

GO HABS GO!

• jlgib1019 says:

You didn’t but many did. Moen and his size and playoff experience is much more valuable for postseason play. Bournival is ok,but how many 3rd/4th liners can a team have

jr

• johnnylarue says:

Different skill sets. Bournival/White/Weise, in their brief time together, were a fore-checking menace with legitimate offensive potential for a fourth line.

Moen is more like having a third, relatively rugged defenceman on the ice.

50. UKRAINIANhab says:

Hello friends, I was at the game last night in Buffalo. It was fun being on the road especially when the rink is full of Hab fans (no surprise). They were playing a very, very crappy Buffalo team but still I was impressed by the Defensive play by our D corps. Tinordi, whom I have given a lot of crap to, was in my opinion one of the best players on the ice. Was great to see a big guy be able to skate like that! (Bye bye Murray). Desharnais needs way more credit, Im glad we didn’t trade Eller, Plekanec is so freakin smart. Absolutely no problem with our top 3. Another guy who stood out to me was the cube. The Cube played an excellent defensive game and I think he still has it (for the rest of the year anyway). Again, Buffalo sucks, but was still good to see.

51. ccs says:

Went to the game last night, which was the first for me watching a live NHL game. I was sitting at the last row way up high so I got a “birds eye view” of the action. It was crazy to see so many HAB fans there, about three quarters at least so it made for a great atmosphere for me and my fiancé.

I noticed during the game that Gionta took a lot of abuse from the Sabers and none of his teammates stood up for him or did anything about it. I know that the game was pretty close and the points are needed especially against the Sabers. This got me thinking about when Koivu was the captain and how his team mates stood up for him, it just doesn’t seem that Gionta commands the same respect as a leader that Koivu did.

I was overall impressed with the play of the team and happy about the win but I would have liked to seen some action taken against the Sabers who were taking liberties with Gionta. Sort of wish Parros was in the line up for that reason.

After the long line ups trying to get out of the city and country for that matter I think I will be watching from the comforts of home and my 70 inch T.V.

Oh one last thing, during the game some clown starts to chant ” go leafs go” which ended by being drowned out from the laughter of thousands of HABS fans.

• jlgib1019 says:

Simple. Gionta doesn’t have Souray in the lineup to pound the crap out of anyone taking liberties with him like he did for Koivu, at least twice

jr

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Lots of red eh?

• Hobie Hansen says:

The most famous incident of when someone touched Saku Koivu was Colby Armstrong nailing him behind the net. At the first opportunity Shedon Souray went straight after Armstrong. Like you said, if teams roughed up Koivu they’d have someone like Quintal or Souray to deal with.

I’ve felt the same way about Ginonta, Gallagher and Galchenyuk. I hate when someone nails one of them with a borderline hit or gloves in the face and nobody does anything.

• jlgib1019 says:

I think Souray also tuned Ryan Malone after he nailed Koivu.

jr

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

I seem to recall that one as well…Sheldon (as a Devil then a Hab) definately seemed quite proficient @ taking note and remembering numbers. (prior to administering justice/retribution…whether immediate or delayed)

• Habs_101 says:

Having Tinordi in the lineup will help this! He doesn’t mind sticking up for anyone. Cant see him back down at this point!

GO HABS GO!

• jlgib1019 says:

Doesn’t have the skills yet,but it should come. Gally’s abuse and lack of protection is sickening though,for all the physical abuse he takes for this team

jr

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I agree, but I’m even more fearful concerning Emelin’s current reluctance/inability to return in kind. I know fighting is not an option for him, but I sure would like to have seen him plant Lucic once or twice last week. Hopefully he still only needs a little more time.

52. Mattyleg says:

For Burly:

A Jagr-bomb!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

53. Strummer says:

On the St Paddy’s theme I’d like to thank my ancestor who moved from Ireland to Peterborough, ON in the 1840′s after that starvation thing wasn’t working out- and figured out that hurling would look pretty good on a pond when you strap some blades on your boots.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

Am very concerned how things are going to shake out with Russia/Ukraine. Putin has now stated that Crimea is a sovereign and independant state.

One has to wonder just how far he will go with this.

• Timo says:

He is putting the Soviet Union back together. Crimea is one of the nicer pieces… I bet he has a lot less interest in places like Tadjikistan.

Also is home to the only port on the Black Sea that never freezes over as I recall.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Burli-TIMO

It’s always about “Follow The Money” and ” Follow The Resources” and ” Follow The Pipeline” and” Follow Where The…” a certain shady conglomerate cannot set up their private Central Bank of Choice, ( The Federal Reserve is privately owned…) or when any nation or group of nations decide to look at trading/barter options vs. concluding transactions with the USD Petrodollar.

That is the difference between regimes.
        The regime that plays $$$ ball is called a Kingdom (Saudi Arabia) and its Leader, a King.
        The leader of the regime that does NOT play $$$ ball ends up being a Tyrant/Dictator ( see Iraq-Libya)

While it’s difficult to ever know who coined the phrase
        ” “He’s a bastard, but he’s our bastard” (FRD-Truman-Cordell Hull-LBJ) …..the end result is always the same…

• UKRAINIANhab says:

He is an idiot. Period.

• Timo says:

That’s one thing Putin is not. Idiots don’t get to that level of power and financial wealth. He is many other things but he is not an idiot.

• SPATS says:

Ukehab, you have my sympathy for how your country is being pulled in many directions, and I would have replied to your post up higher but couldn’t. You stated Bush and Obama have not invaded sovereign countries. Iraq? Libya? Afghanistan?

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Comparing Iraq and Afghanistan to Ukraine is totally different situations. Iraq and Afghanistan needed to be occupied because of the amount of terrorism. Why did Putin invade? For absolutely no reason. Just because a demonstration in Kiev that was peacefull until riot police and snipers took action Putin thought the need to send troops to protect Russians miles away? Perfect excuse for siezing his oppurtunity which he has been waiting for since the fall of the USSR.

• Cal says:

Wish Putin would get off the “I’m the reincarnation of Stalin” kick he’s on.

• jlgib1019 says:

As a US citizen,we have many,many problems at home,and need to keep our nose out of it. There is a large majority of Crimeans that would rather be with Russia and it was voted on that way. Economic and ancestral being 2 big reasons

jr

• SPATS says:

He will go as far as the west lets him go. This has as much to do with challenging the US Dollar as reserve currency as it does with re drawing maps. Crimea is the opening act, or maybe the revolution was? Who knows how this will end, but things sure are rapidly escalating. I hope we don’t find ourselves at war again.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH

• The Jackal says:

Not that I think Putin/Russia are justified, but isn’t it a bit ridiculous that we tend to affirm self-determination only when it is in our interests? Russia’s actions were certainly questionable under international law, but if the referendum is truly an outstanding yes, then the people of Crimea democratically voted to join Russia, and that in itself is a legitimate act under international law – which does not mean much considering international law is like a grocery store in terms of what conventions states choose to follow, but nevertheless self-determination is a principle espoused in the UN Charter, the greatest document in the law of nations.

This is a very similar situation to the elections in Iraq and Afghanistan, whereby the West went in and deposed those governments, and later the citizens of those states held elections. No one said anything about their legitimacy, yet when Russia does a very similar thing it is more wrong.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• NoTinFoilCups says:

AFAIK Crimea was always part of Russia at least during Soviet times it was part of the Russian SSR. Then Yeltsin gave it over to Ukraine in a magnanimous gesture after the break up. The place is majority Russian. Not worth getting killed over. Not like Putin is going to start toppling countries in eastern Europe ala Hitler/Stalin.

55. Mattyleg says:

Happy Belated (during the day) Paddy’s Day Everyone!

Going to have a couple of Guinnesses this eve, so to get you gigglin’, here’s a really fun beer-themed cartoon!

Oh, and BTW, are there any homebrewers on this site?
    I’m about to start doing it, I’ve been making equipment for the last month or so, and I’d love to exchange info!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

56. 25 cups says:

I want the leafs in the first round. And I love pineapple on pizza. there I said it.

Fire the system! – TheMostCupsPeriod

• Mattyleg says:

Oh yeah, as for pineapple on pizza, I don’t mind it.

For me, the greatest abomination of nature is what they love on pizza in Ireland: corn.

WTF??

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

I was in Taiwan 12 years ago, it was my 4th week there, and I was missing home a bit, so I thought to myself, get a pizza tonight you’ve earned it!

But the restaurant I went to did not have any employee that spoke decent english.

The pizza they served me was made with cream of corn as a sauce, it had carrots, peas and corn kernels, with pepperoni and a cheese sauce on top.

I was missing home a lot more afterwards…

• 25 cups says:

They put some strange shizzle on pizza, corn, artichoke hearts, nuts and raisins….

As for the leafs, it’s more about their fans, they want us in the first round, they think they can take us…. we need to put them in their place.

• DipsyDoodler says:

By far the worst pizza topping comes from Japan, which is odd as Japan is just about the best place to eat otherwise.

Mayonnaise.

You read that right.

A huge amount of mayo in a grid pattern. (They also put corn on it.)

And not just any mayo, but Japanese Kewpie mayonnaise.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Max says:

Agreed and canned tuna in may Asian countries……blech!! They layer the pizza with it.

So yesterday afternoon while enjoying a pint with the Leafs fans and some Bruins and Hawks fans at the pub, the topic of the Habs/Sens game came up. Twas not I who brought it up, but rather a very strong minded Leaf fan, who generally hates the Habs. I was amused to hear his comments, he claimed it was obvious that indeed the Senators players were all taking liberties in running at Price. He was convinced of this and thought it was good Karma that the Habs could come back and win the game.

I turned to this pal of mine and asked if I was soon to become a pillar of salt, as watching him say such words towards the Habs surely made me feel as though I was indeed looking at Sodom and Gomorrah.

58. Hobie Hansen says:

What’s going on here?

How did Mike make it look like he posted before my “First”.

59. CH Marshall says:

Either MT is a total moron, or he is a genius for breaking up the Egg line early and reassembling it before playoffs

60. jimmy shaker says:

Thomas pleks: your hockey pants are one size too small. I find it funny whenever I see him setting up for a face-off. But the turtleneck is class all the way.

Can’t wait for the 5 minute (at least) standing “O” for St.Patty tomorrow night. Should be classic!

Shaker out!

61. skoalbandit says:

I love how sens fans and media are still in outrage about the OT goal on saturday. The puck was clearly loose.
    Also love that lenher couldnt break his stick over his knee. Epic Fail.

62. DipsyDoodler says:

I was looking at the list of free agent goalkeepers for next year and one quite amazing factoid is that Devan Dubnyk is earning the same as Jaro Halak.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

63. Dunboyne Mike says:

First!

I hope that Bournival can return next season and compete for the 3rd line LW spot. Failing that, he would be a perfect jack-of-all-trades for the 4th line.

Call me crazy but I still haven’t given up on Leblanc making the team next year. I just wish both these guys carried another 15 lbs of muscle.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

(Looks like you’re inviting Captain Pike for a chat, Jim!)

Whoa whoa whoa, what you doing stealing Hobies thunder?

Edit: Appears we have a Hamster issue, apparantly they are into the Green Beer already.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

(Whoops! This reply didn’t go to where I thought you were when your post appeared!)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

[NB - HOBIE WAS ACTUALLY FIRST ON THIS THREAD!!]

Yippee! New posts are now being added to the bottom instead of the top! If I replace my “Whoops” with a “First”, does it count?

I mean, hey, if a guy in Ireland can’t be a little inane on St Patrick’s Day….

65. Dunboyne Mike says:

For anyone hazy on the significance of Roy’s presence in Montreal, Stu’s blog and the Red Fischer story it includes are compulsory reading (see above).

66. Max says:

The goaltending situation is getting interesting.Budaj seems like a hell of a guy and an experienced back-up for 1.4 next season. Tokarski,while not as experienced, is showing he may be ready to fill that role behind Price and play 15-20 games a year for half of Budaj’s salary p’raps?
    Tokarski is apparently also a big fan of Hawaiian pizza.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

My feeling is that, with our customary HIO impetuosity, we have been very hasty to downgrade Budaj after the west coast trip. He is an excellent back-up. Lots of things were bad on that trip, too many for him — or any goalie — to rescue us.

(And he apparently does not mix fruit and pizza).

67. Mattyleg says:

Well that was an exciting weekend, chaps and chapettes.

On top of two wins (one of which had me laughing out loud!), my little girl, Violet, turned 3, and we had a great birthday party for her. She slept in her princess dress last night…

Looking forward to an exciting run down the home-stretch of this season!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

68. BJ says:

KHL Barys Astana fans concuss their teams star player Talgat Zhailauov celebrating their first ever playoff series. Can you imagine having that happen to PK or Max?

69. Luke says:

Do I wish Patrick Roy was coaching the Habs?

Hmmm. I’ll refrain from answering until I know his official Pineapple on Pizza Position.

70. HUDSONHAB says:

Hoping for a Habs Tampa first round. Then again, I was hoping for a Habs Ottawa first round last year.

• Habfan10912 says:

I’m with you there Hudson. I guess it shouldn’t matter. I wonder if Pittsburgh’s defense will get healthier before the playoffs? If not, they might be in trouble as well.

• jlgib1019 says:

Their “genius” GM gave long term extensions to Fleury and Letang as a reward for their patheric performances. Two very bad contracts for two way overrated players

jr

71. Hobie Hansen says:

First…

Sens, Bruins and Leafs can kiss my ass!

72. jlgib1019 says:

Yes they do,no question about it. As far as advancing without him,no chance.

jr

73. Maritime Ronn says:

Hi scot

See above ^^^ re your posts – always good stuff

74. The Jackal says:

Hey, tell us what you really think about MT!

Kidding… Look, you’re free to rip MT but some evidence / support to hold your claims up would be nice to read as well other than the same phrase repeated over and over.

The big difference between the Habs and Avs is that the Avs’ young players are already in key roles because that team had no one effective in those roles to begin with – their kids had to take up the mantle and perform. Not to mention we are talking about players like Duchene and MacKinnon. Granted, Galchenyuk, Eller, and Gally are no slouches but they are not at the same level – at least at this point in their careers – as these players are. Roy has the luxury of coaching a team of young stars, while the Habs have some serviceable vets who will give way to our kids soon enough… In short, the Avs were forced to play those guys from the get-go, while we have the luxury of working them in, and let’s not forget people always complained about rushing our young talent. We’ve seen the damage that can do, so let’s embrace the new approach.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

75. dr. schmutzdeker says:

nyuck nyuck…good analogy.

76. jimmy shaker says:

Remember that fondly…..really only d-man eh? Priceless!

Shaker out!

77. The_Truth says:

I was at that game at the Forum as a youngster. Great memories. Only similar feeling I had since, was that run in 2010.

78. jimmy shaker says:

Yep, that almost was on the way to being another cinderella run!

Shaker out!