Habs send Beaulieu back to Hamilton for Olympic break

Nathan Beaulieu won’t be taking a vacation during the NHL’s Olympic break.

The Canadiens announced on Sunday morning that the defenceman has been assigned to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs. In 16 games with the Canadiens this season the 21-year-old has two assists, eight penalty minutes and is plus-5. In 32 games with Hamilton, he has four goals, 10 assists , 21 penalty minutes and is minus-4. Beaulieu was selected by the Canadiens in the first round (17th overall) of the 2011 NHL entry draft.

The Bulldogs visit the Toronto Marlies Sunday at 3 p.m. The game will be televised on RS360.

The Canadiens headed into the Olympic break on a high note, beating the Carolina Hurricanes 4-1 Saturday night for their third straight victory. The Habs sit in third place in the Atlantic Division with 70 points, one behind the Tampa Bay Lightning. The Toronto Maple Leafs also have 70 points, but have played one more game. Montreal and Toronto are six points clear of fifth-place Detroit.

Canadiens fans – and Team USA – got a scare Saturday night when Max Pacioretty crashed into the goalpost and had to be helped from the ice.

“I had trouble catching my breath,” Pacioretty told reporters after the game. “It’s a play I make often. I went in a little awkwardly and I dinged my arm and my hip, but I feel good now.

“I was very worried at first,” he added. “It was tough to breathe and I was having back spasms, but I had X-rays and there was nothing broken. I had some treatments while the game was going on and I feel better, I was in a lot of pain but I could tell t was more muscular. I don’t feel that bad right now and I have a couple of days before we start playing in Sochi.”

Carey Price and P.K. Subban, who will be part of Team Canada in Sochi, will fly to Russia on Sunday. Team Canada plays its first game at noon Thursday ET against Norway. Team USA plays Slovakia at 7:30 a.m. Thursday.

(Photo by Claus Andersen/Getty Images)

Complete Olympic hockey coverage, Postmedia News

Canadiens win third straight, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Pacioretty feels better, will play in Sochi, by Pat Hickey

Sizing up Canada’s competition in Sochi, by Pat Hickey

Dream comes true for Weise’s father, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Olympic outlook: Max Pacioretty, Canadiens.com

Desharnais riding high, Canadiens.com

NHL standings are as close as ever at Olympic break, The Hockey News

Habs now listed at 33-1 odds of winning Stanley Cup, Stu on Sports blog

Roy has put Avalanche into playoff contention, Sportsnet.ca

Rocket Richard (and the Beatles) appeared with Ed Sullivan, Stu on Sports blog

1. Mattyleg says:

Just to clarify, because heresay becomes truth on here more often than not:

I don’t dislike Eller.
    I don’t see him living up to the potential that many on here pegged him for (which is more the fault of the people who expected that of him than it is his), and I only wonder where he fits in on a team that already has two extremely effective defensive centres.

I’m happy that his physical game has come along, which is a real positive on a team where physicality is pretty thin on the ground.

Oh, and I’d like to see him get some more points, please.

That is all.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

I don’t see where his physical game has come along. If anything, I find he’s regressed.
      He was more sure of himself than that in the past.

I’m worried that he might be a bit of a head case. Needs constant reassurance.

There’s no question he has talent, but I’m wondering if he’ll ever reach it.

So many are pulling for him. I’m convinced that the Halak trade and the expectations have a lot to do with it.

But he’s got a long way to go if he’s ever to achieve the level most wished he’d already be at.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Eller is third in hits on the Habs after Emelin and Murray. His problem is that he is not consistent offensively. He is part to blame but so is the coaching staff. He has been primarily affected by the emphasis to get slow-starting veterans back on track. With the high regard for Pleks and DD, he will never be higher than a third line center on this team. Would not surprise me to see him dealt.

• CJ says:

Eller’s physical play has improved this season, becoming much more aggressive the past three weeks. With all due respect, I don’t see how anyone could suggest otherwise.

I don’t know Eller and can’t comment on his disposition. Needing reassurance however does not make someone a head case. Some of my best employees need reassurance. Everyone requires different coaching/counselling.

IMO, Eller is the lost man. Others have PK or PP responsibilities. Pleks draws the opposition’s top line. The fourt line skates and gets in on the forcheck. Eller, from what I can gather is being asked to be a responsible 200 ft player, be defensively responsible, and chip in offence when possible. Within the team concept, those who are not given a defined role are the most likely to struggle. Guys who are of the PK get instant feedback based of their results. Same with the PP and fourth line. How do you measure Eller’s success? There are metrics, but it’s not so cut and dry.

• Bripro says:

“Head case” was a poor choice of words.
          But by his own admission, he had to seek the help of a therapist.
          I think maturity comes into play.

I don’t agree on his improved physicality. You could divide the season in two.
          He started off gang busters. The EGG line was a well-balanced line, but I think, as has been the case on every line, Gallagher, and (to a slightly lesser extent) Galcheniuk helped in his performance.

But since then, he’s been deployed on the PP, the PK and 5-on-5 like everyone else, and right now he looks lost out there.

He makes poor decisions with the puck, and always seems rushed. That’s a lack of confidence.

At some point, he has to realize that as the C, he’s central to most plays, and can’t be sluffing. And that’s what he’d doing now.

Don’t get me wrong, I do like the kid. He’s got great hands, and strokes of brilliance. But the brush strokes are too short, right now…. anyway.

• CJ says:

Good points. I respect your comments. Keep in mind, as recently as last week he was on the wing, a mistake IMO. Although he has had both PK and PP time, since Christmas it’s been among the lowest, in both disciplines, on the team. Getting on the ice with five seconds remaining in a PP technically does constitute a PP opportunity, but he is a third option behind DD and Pleks. I’m talking about a shift with our first unit, including Markov and PK.

I agree he had a great start. His game, offensively speaking, was clicking. He was not playing physical because his primary contribution was creating offense.

As the offence has dried up, he had tried to do something else. This has manifested in the improved physical play. He is throwing more hits and engaging in more puck battles then he did at the beginning of the season. I don’t think this can be disputed.

Lastly, I think he knows he’s a centre. It’s the coaching staff who needed to come to this realization. I don’t think I could accuse Lars of not trying. He has made a series of mistakes, including some odd choices with the puck on odd man rushes, which, IMO, can be attributed to his lack of confidence.

A fresh start following a week of practices might get him back on track.

• Bripro says:

I respect your opinion as well, CJ and I think we might be seeing it the same way, but from a different angle.
            I agree that he’s hitting more. But again, at risk of repeating myself, I think it’s because he’s a little lost out there, and trying to contribute as best he can.

We both agree he was far better at the beginning of the year, and IMO that carried from the end of last year and into the playoffs until the suicide pass.

And I also agree that he’s not a natural winger. But I think MT tried that experiment to see if he was versatile enough. He’s not. But it’s hard, as a coach, when you have your pre-conceived top two or three Cs, and what to do with him?

So it was a gamble, taking into consideration his talent level, and trying to keep him on at least the third (and at times top two) lines.

I really think that given the fact that Bourque, DD and Galagher clicked last night, that Eller’s next line will centre both Max and Galchenyuk. That would represent a pretty talented trio.

• HabFab says:

I’m sorry but you have already been pegged as an Eller hater.

Do you know how hard it is to change these perceptions?

• habs-hampton says:

I think Boone hit it on the head when he said something like “Eller’s hockey IQ is questionable”. I’ve thought this for quite a while, his decision making isn’t quite quick enough for an NHL player. He makes more bad passes than anyone on the team. They always seem to be in the skates or too far ahead, etc. I like his size and skill, but I think he is tradeable.

Once speedskating is done it will be the end of the dutch winning medals, right?

• Bripro says:

Pretty much. Cross country skiing also.
      And we should dominate in short track.

• Timo says:

Canada and Korea… both very strong I think. Not sure how US is represented this year.

• Bripro says:

Since Apolo Ohno has retired, I don’t think they are in contention. But I could be wrong.

• Timo says:

I like short track… there is always controversy and as we know it’s better to have MOAR CONTROVERSY

• Bripro says:

Remember during the 2002 Olympics, the Australian, with no chance of winning? All of the skaters wiped out in front of him, and he won gold.
            Unbelievable!

• Gerry H says:

They have JR Celski, who is pretty amazing, if not Ohno-like.

Canada should do well in ST, which is great, because this is the weakest LT team we’ve put forward since the early 90s. The Koreans are still the team to beat in ST and the Chinese are not too far behind, especially the women. What’s cool about this year’s Canadian ST team is that our women are competitive, too. Marianne St Gelais and Valerie Maltais are both multipole medal threats. Charles could pick 3-4 medals and Francois could do something tomorrow in the 1500. Michael Gilday is a podium threat, too.

Other than our pursuit teams, I’m not expecting much from the long-trackers. Christine Nesbitt is not healthy and unlikely to do anything individually, which is a pity since she pretty much has dominated the 1000 since Vancouver. The women might squeak out a medal in the pursuit and Junio or Gregg could snag something in the 500 for the men.

Tough times for this hard core LT fan.

• Gerry H says:

What’s even wilder about Steve Bradbury (the Aussie) was that he was near retirement and had only even made it to an A-final once or twice in his entire World Cup career.

• Timo says:

That’s why I like ST. You never know what can happen. Wipeouts are awesome.

• Bripro says:

By the way, I saw your comment on Diaz hanging his head.
      You have to feel for the kid. Goes from being a rafter seat-warmer to bucket-emptying a sinking ship.

• Le Jadester says:

For Timo and Strummer and all those who enjoy real rock ‘n’ roll !
      I saw your discussion RE: Deep Purple below.
      I saw this a while back and thought I’d share now that we’re all on vacation for the next two weeks. Reminds me of the passing of torch part in the Habs dressing room kinda ?

Habs, OLE !

• Timo says:

Never heard of the band but cool rendition of Hush.

• Le Jadester says:

Never heard of “The Black Crowes” eh ?
          Hmmm…..arguably Rock and Roll hall of famers in less then years.
          Either way, it’s cool ya haven’t too.
          They are not very main stream.
          But they fry up some Tasty southern tunes all the time live !

Habs, OLE !

• jimmy shaker says:

No….they are wicked sweet in the 12.5km pursuit!

shaker out!

3. Strummer says:

Habs interested in Kulikov?

From Bruce Garrioch:

“Don’t be surprised if the Habs try to get another blueliner after shipping defenceman Raphael Diaz to the Canucks in exchange for forward Dale Weise last Monday. GM Marc Bergevin would still like to get help on defence. The talk is the Habs will try to acquire Dmitri Kulikov from the Panthers because they need a replacement for Diaz on the back end. An RFA on July 1 with a cap hit of $2.5 million, Kulikov has denied rumours he’ll return to the KHL. If that’s the case — and it has been a concern for many teams — then the Panthers might be able to find a deal before the deadline. Making $2.5 million as an RFA, Kulikov could be in for a healthy raise … ”

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Habcouver says:

Albeit denied by Kulikov, just the rumour of returning to KHL always concerns me with the Russian players.

Old school… I hope Habs stick with North American players.

Waiting patiently for #25

• Timo says:

Bruce Garrioch… isn’t he the douche that works for Ottawa Sun?

• Strummer says:

One and the same. He reported the Habs were shopping Erik Cole a couple days before the Ryder trade so he’s right occassionally.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• CJ says:

Yes. His success rate on trade rumours is neck and neck with Eklund and Hockey Buzz.

Chris Stevenson is the only writer in Ottawa worth reading.

I posted earlier this week that Montreal should target RFA’s Gudbranson, Kulikov, or Jeff Shultz. I don’t have any inside information, nor do I qualify as an expert. Anyone can make an educated guess.

I wouldn’t buy any stock in what Garioch is selling.

• Timo says:

Kulikov has 12 points in 56 games, with second worse -11 on the team. 6-1 and 205 lbs. I say pass. We already have Gorges.

• CJ says:

He’s a very good talent Timo. When the subject of trading Markov was raised, focus shifted to potential replacements. This kid could be that guy. He is not an immediate solution, but he has potential to be a Markov type talent. He is an RFA, so he might test Florida’s budget.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Surprisingly Kulikov has as many points ( roughly) as Victor Hedman in the same number of games (300 or so).

Kulikov is still learning the game (drafted same year as Louis).

I don’t think Talon is giving him away.

• scarboro_habitant says:

wouldnt mind us getting that bjugstad kid, 6`6 center. eller and who else for him? pleks?

• Marc10 says:

Kulikov wouldn’t come cheap. Who would we ship in return?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’ve always believed in those rumours. First time I saw Kulikov play in the QMJHL, he reminded me of Markov. Possible replacement???
      Hey it looks like Weise will replace Moen…why not another veteran being replaced by a younger version.

• CJ says:

I’ve seen him too and came away with the same appreciation. Like I said, if we were to lose Markov, Kulikov could be the replacement.

Could Bergevin and Tallon build on previous professional relationships and make a deal? Time will tell…

• ooder says:

I would love that. That kid is a stud stuck on a team that’s going nowhere

Cover story on TSN is leafs beating canucks (naturally) with… Diaz hanging his head low. Man, I am so happy he is not on this team anymore.

5. GL says:

I’m only a armchair manager I’m not 100% sold on Eller but this is what I would do with two players on this team that’s been s – – t on a lot and maybe deservingly so I don’t know.

#1 – Eller, I would reunite him with Galchenyuk and Gallagher when the Olympics is over and give him a fair chance at proving himself. If he doesn’t pan out. Than I would try to trade him for someone better or a good draft pick.

#2 – Bourque, I would put him on the 1st line with DD and Pacioretty and the same goes for him. If he doesn’t pan out same deal. Get someone better or again a good draft pick

• Timo says:

Bourque on first line isn’t going to work. Who’s going to drive the opposition nuts and stir sh!t in front of the net? Not any of the aforementioned 3. That line will be very very easily kept outside the perimeter box and will never be allowed within a sniff of the goal.

• NoTinFoilCups says:

Throw the Wiese guy on with them? I haven’t been able to catch a game since he was acquired. Just thrown’ it out there. Perhaps a 4th line grinder to go to the net and give Max and DD is all that’s needed.

6. Al Burtlap says:

I really hope that Bournival is ok. Concussions, even those deemed “mild” are always disconcerting.

It is pretty amazing to me what kind of effect something as subtle as “balanced lines” in terms of managed minutes can have on a team.

The Habs with an effective fourth line, are much more dangerous and less predictable, meaning more difficult to line match against. If we can go forward with a fourth line rotation of Bournival-White-Wiese-Parros-Moen (or Prust if we can slide him down a line) we’d actually be an interesting playoff team, especially if the D is stabilized with some consistent play from the back end.

Ah well, at least we have a couple of weeks for players to heal those bumps, bruises and to re-frame their mindset for the last 20-ish games pre-playoffs.

And what a vision watching the two sisters on the podium today! With two daughters of my own, i’d be a blubbering mess if my girls achieve anything similar. Here’s hoping!

• Mattyleg says:

Heh heh. Must be amazing, that’s for sure.
      I have two girls too… anything could happen, eh?

As for concussions, I think he just got his bell rung a bit. A bit dazed, and they decided to err on the side of caution.

I wouldn’t worry too much about Bourni.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Al Burtlap says:

hey Matty,

I didn’t actually see the play (was likely playing with one of my young Olympians) so glad to hear it wasn’t too serious. I just hope he comes back with the same vim and vigor he had previously, whether we have him on the first or fourth line.

Loved reading your post about taking your daughter to last Sunday’s game – always brings back the magic when we see the world through their eyes. Fun stuff!

• Mattyleg says:

Cheers Al,
          I just this moment changed my FB photo to the two of us at the game!
          It was great fun.

As for Bourni, he got clipped by Weise’s stick as the latter fell, just pinged him on the chin as it came around. Must have just caught him right on the button, because it didn’t look that bad.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• boing007 says:

How’s Agent 99?

Richard R

Read a funny line tonight… “All winter olympics sports can be summarized as competitive gliding” :)

8. montreal ace says:

We have DD and we have Eller, they both have great things about their game, so I say keep both. The Habs could look for a player who has all their attributes, but would probably pay more for the one instead of the two of them. Money wins out so we keep DD and Eller, as combined they make less then a really good player.

9. frontenac1 says:

Watched the Slope Side Womens event today at the Saloon with my buddies.Amazing air these gals get. Is this the event that Shawn White thought was too dangerous for him? Sorry UCE, if the Lads chirp him, he deserves it.

10. HabFab says:

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    The Beatles!!!

…in 45 minutes

• Timo says:

I was just watching a bunch of Deep Purple video on youtube… what a legendary band.

• HabFab says:

This is a Beatles weekend for me… but then I’m older ;)

• Strummer says:

Me too. I was in front of the TV 50 years ago tonight.

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• frontenac1 says:

Deep Purple. Smoke on the water! Loved those guys. The Beatles were good too, Rubber Soul. My favourite.

• Timo says:

Went to see Purple a couple of years ago here in cowtown. Ian Gillan is better now in his 60 something than he ever was imho. Had one of his legs in a cast but didn’t sit for a minute the whole show.

• Mavid says:

Deep Purple..Machine Head..my first rock album..loved it I still have all my old albums in a milk crate..an old milk crate as they don’t fit in the newer ones..from my younger years I have the Monkeys first album..and then my Elton John phase..goodbye yellow brick road..and so on, I used to love to go to the record store with all the used albums, you could find some real gems in there, like an album of poetry done by Bernie Taupin..probably only 100 copies ever made, and I have one..Chicago live at Carnage Hall, I think it was a 3 or 4 album set..someone broke into our house and stole it on me..bastards..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• frontenac1 says:

Elton John. Mad Man Across The Water. Love that album. My Best live shows? James Brown at the Esquire Show Bar, in Mtl, Jannis Joplin at the Cafe Campus at U of M, Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon at the Mtl Forum. Biggest regret? Never got to see Sinatra live. But my Mom did, twice.
            Saludos!

11. Dunboyne Mike says:

It’s good they’ve updated the team list to include MSL

They’ve also updated his height.

This is what I am wondering… is the gelling complete?

13. HabFab says:

John Shannon – All 4 NHL/NHLPA Charter Flights to Sochi are now in the air, enroute to Russia. Let the men’s hockey tournament begin!

14. Eddie says:

Love all the crapping all over Eller. Impressive.

• HabFab says:

We are the experts… “rolls eyes”

• Eddie says:

It’s discouraging.

• HabFab says:

Ed, you have to keep a salt shaker close by because you will constantly need “a grain of salt” around here.

• Eddie says:

Wasn’t Eller one of our best forwards when he got hurt against Ottawa? Wasn’t he also one of our best forwards for the first quarter of this season?

A 6’2 215 lbs center who skates great, plays physical hockey, and has shown for about 60 of the last 90 games that he’s extremely valuable to this team, and now he has no place?

• HabFab says:

That’s why none here have a say… thank God!

• punkster says:

Said it 4 days ago…and all anyone has to do is check his stats:
            – big skilled centre
            – young
            – wins face offs
            – and to boot he forechecks and is a puck possession beast

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
            but…
            ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• Habfan10912 says:

I must be stupid but I thought he played well for the most part last night. I even rewatched the game this afternoon just to make sure I wasn’t blind along with stupid.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Yah but.
            Est-ce qu’il parle français? Eh? Eh?

At least re-spell that awkward viking surname: Allaire.

Laurence Allaire?

• D Mex says:

Always, ALWAYS, check the source – especially here – where some guys think being a Habs fan means you hammer the living $h!t out of the team, its players & coaches, and the front office at every turn. :roll:

ALWAYS Habs –
            D Mex

• Habfan17 says:

Not to mention he makes great defensive plays in his own zone that largely go unnoticed!!

Habfan17

• Al Burtlap says:

Hi Eddie,

I just re-read every post in this thread and I am not seeing very much in the way of people “crapping all over Eller”, I am reading counter-points from people who are questioning his ceiling.

There is definitely something to be said for his utilization pointing to his output, but to simply presume that other posters who want more from Eller are “crapping on him” just doesn’t seem fair or accurate to me.

I believe that if he had not been injured last season in the playoff series against Ottawa, the Habs would have won, his confidence was sky high and his impact had recently been excellent. Now his confidence is low, and perhaps is due to poor utilization, linemates or coaching, but I guess I am just not seeing that things are being done to him or in spite of him by coaches who do not want him to progress.

I hope he returns from the break rested and ready to rock. I still think he can be a beast, but will continue to question that if his mental lapses and slow decision making and turnovers keep showing up.

Hopefully my words came across as respectfully as I intended.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Evening Al.
        Fantastic avatar! Great choice.
        (It’ll probably turn out that you and I share a birthday.)
        Sensible thoughts on Eller.

“Sorry about that, chief.”

• Al Burtlap says:

Greetings Mike,

The good news is it only took me one try to get that gravatar to work…

Ok, would you believe two tries?

Fine, how about four tries and enlisting the help of my seven year old…

I truly hope Eller can regain his confidence as he, much like Bourque, seems to be very prone to the ebbs and flows of his own confidence.

15. UKRAINIANhab says:

Sadly, Leblanc’s future is not with the Canadiens. What could we get for this guy, Might have to be part of a package deal because I am pretty sure there is absolutely no market for Leblanc

16. mrhabby says:

I love watching the Olympics…so much homerism from NBC.lol.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I was on a remote, radio-only beach holiday in 1984 and had to listen to Brent Musberger calling the boxing. I tried very hard to put a hex on him and all his descendants.

17. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

3 mistakes in the final minute by Habs prospects:
    1) Leblanc not blocking the shot from the point that lead to the 3rd goal.
    2) Tinordi shooting the puck in the stands when he had plenty of time.
    3) Pateryn allowing the puck to come back out front with 2 sec to go after St. Pierre won the face-off.

Kids are still a work in progress I guess. However, Hamilton has clearly turned things around from last. Next year should even be better with Crisp, Bozon, Thrower, Bennet, etc. Wish they played in Laval…

18. boing007 says:

Sven Golly!

Richard R

19. Mavid says:

oh man..that was a close one..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

20. habfaninottawa says:

Sorry to disappoint most of you but Markov is not going anywhere. I’ve read that he would rather retire than leave the Habs. I’m positive he would sign for less just to stay.
    I also find this “trade Markov” talk pointless. Trading him would be similar to Detroit having traded Lidstrom. He may not have the legs he used to, but his vision and hockey sense far outweigh whatever speed he’s lost.

21. frontenac1 says:

No NHL, No NFL. We’re is the the betting action now amigos?I tried to get some Olympic action at the Saloon today but it’s all time delayed. A couple of the guys are taking action on the Ladies Curling. Think I might just give it a Go.

22. mrhabby says:

Whatever money is available to bergevin I hope he adds at the deadline. Clearly habs are trending to the playoffs so if it makes sense do it Marc and deal with the player in the summer.

My take on markov is bergevin does nothing until the summer unless he gets an unreal offer at the deadline. Face it habs have no one that can take markys place..veteran savy, skills and IQ and to remove him while pushing into the playoffs would be a disaster.

23. Mavid says:

I had no idea the dogs game was on sportsnet..you guys are suppose to keep my up on these things..nice little scrap by Dumont..I would say he won it quite handily..they seem to be losing momentum..and now a penalty…common guys..
    Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

24. Chuck says:

Andrighetto’s second of the game was a beauty: coast-to-coast, weaving through the entire Marlies team before unloading a laser in the slot. You might not see a better-looking goal all year.

25. habs001 says:

Hamilton 4 Toronto 1…Andrighetto end to end rush goal…This Wed AHL All Star game 630pm Sportnet 1…AHL will be playing Färjestad BK .

26. frontenac1 says:

Hey amigos! Am I snuffed again? Can you hear me?

27. frontenac1 says:

Cops got me in the back of the cruiser “waiting Moderation” amigos. Screw the Man.

28. Mattyleg says:

My comment below is awaiting moderation.

It was a pretty moderate comment.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

29. jols101 says:

Stop with the trade DD talk. No other GM in the league wants a 5’6 center man who needs to be coddled to succeed. Does anyone think DD would get the best wingers and 1st line PP time anywhere but in Montreal? You are crazy if you do. We have him for this year and 3 more. Team’s in the NHL don’t win in the playoffs with tiny tots as center men. He’s all ours, bless his little heart.

• ont fan says:

What do we have that might bring a good return? Lars Eller. Are you willing to give up on him?

• boonie says:

1. What makes people think that Eller will fetch anything appreciably better than DD. Lars is a large body and fast skater who has yet he is a legit top 2 center who can score. Right now, until he proves differently he is a 3rd line guy. If we don’t give him a chance to prove his offensive potential, then he’ll never be worth much. If we give him a chance and he excels (I wouldn’t play that parlay), then we won’t trade him anyway.

Which brings us to…

2. You trade players when the return is more than their value to you. DD won’t fetch what it would take to get a first line center. Eller is better than his trade value. You keep both. Any asset manager knows this. If MB has half a brain, he keeps both.

Now, Plecs that’s a different story.

He is ideal number two on a cup contender. He can play tough minutes, score, center real wingers, has credibility among players (see: Jagr’s endorsement), managers understand his value (see: captain, Czech national team). Now he gets a substantial return. His worth to us is obvious. But we are not contenders, he’s not getting younger and he’s not a leader who develops kids (see: “A”, or lack thereof on his jersey)

If – and it’s a big IF – MB feels he wants to move or has to move someone, it’s Plecs

• Timo says:

I am not willing to give Eller up until he is given a chance the way DD did. I still think he can come around when Habs replace the coach.

• WindsorHab-10 says:

I agree Timo. Having agreed with you, I’m not going to rip on DD because the guy has produced, small as he’s. I wish some of our players are as willing to go to the net as this little guy, bless his soul.

• Mattyleg says:

DD wasn’t given a chance as much as he made the players he was with better, which is something that Eller hasn’t been able to do.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habs001 says:

Would the Habs give up their first and a top prospect for Eller?…..thats the way you have to look at his value…not thru Hab glasses…

• Standbyme says:

Yes sir.

Standbyme

• Mattyleg says:

Heh heh.

I love this ‘he’s been put in a position to succeed’ nonsense. It makes me chuckle.

When DD was paired with Max, who was the #1 forward? Hmm? Was it Max? Noooooo, it was Eller. Max took off once paired with DD. And did you manage to notice how well Bourque played with him?

How is it that it’s his wingers that make him better, and not vice versa?

And the fabled breakup off the EGG line was, what, 10 games in? And how was it doing when it was broken up? I’ll tell you: not well. Not as well as it had been doing off the top, because young players start the season hot while all the vets warm up, then they lose their way. It’s how it goes.

Teams don’t win with small centres because they haven’t yet. Not because it can’t be done.

And I don’t know why I have to defend our best offensive player of the last 30 games to you, Jols. Surely you should be happy that he’s doing so well, and making your team better….

—Hope Springs Eternal—

30. jols101 says:

Beaulieu with his 2nd assist. Game is late in the 2nd period. He is flying out there.

31. D Mex says:

Mike Smith audition today vs DAL – he looks good.
    Wouldn’t surprise me Luongo’s watching …

ALWAYS Habs –
    D Mex

• frontenac1 says:

Homeboy Smitty is a great lad. Should have been Price,Smitty,Crawford. In that order. Lou? Thanks for your sevice but, no. Time to let the young lads do it.

• D Mex says:

Say it ain’t so, Front !
        Montreal is the only team in the universe that has its hands tied when it comes to personnel selections, isn’t that the old refrain ?
        LOL :cry: !

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

32. 4m3y2j says:

Eller:
    Cleary lost in confidence and on the ice.It has been this way since the break up of the EGG line.Remember when we wanted DD shipped out for a bag of pucks ,what is the room temperature on him now ?
    They need to get him back with a skilled frwd. like Gally and maybe Bournival ?Who else could work ?Prust,to open up room on the ice ?
    He is probably still a valuable commodity as he was the guy MB was always getting calls about prior to MaxPac.
    If you are going to ship him make sure you can get back a young strong skilled power forward who will go to the net,that is really what they need.
    john slattery

33. DipsyDoodler says:

My turn to chime in on Eller.

One possibility, when Chuck returns, is to give Larry another chance with him and either Gallagher or the new and improved Bourque. See if that brings back the magic.

It’s too bad Andrei Kostitsyn left, or else we could have the EKG line.

• ABHabsfan says:

Maybe Gally back with Larry and Chucky; Bork with DD and Patches
      Bourny may be eating hotdogs for a spell. I think Moen gets moved

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

34. The_Truth says:

I agree with Mark C, the notion that Eller would be doing as well as DD is baseless. Eller has played with some skilled wingers like Chucky and Bourque, Briere and outside of the first 15 games has done absolutely nothing offensively and is the worst +/- forward on the team with -8. Bourque moves with DD for half a game and look what happens.

What is it, 4 points in 30 games? Brutal. Eller actually has played more minutes per game this season to DD and his PP numbers and points per minutes are not close to DD. DD has been the much better player than Eller for a long stretch and he and Max have been leading the offense the last 30 games.

DD got deserved flack for his early season play, but deserves as much credit for bouncing back from adversity. He is playing great and handling the #1 center position quite well. Eller has to step it up. Eller is totally lost out there and does nothing for his wingers. In no way does he deserve to be put with top players. I think Pleks, Briere and even White deserve it more. He is a 3rd line center and doesn’t have the offensive skill to be on an offensive line. I also find he is playing soft for his size lately. That isn’t news. The troubling thing is his defence and decision making are terrible right now and that has nothing to do with wingers.

Like Boone, I am starting to wonder if he has a place on this team, with a guy like De La Rose maybe 2-3 years away and Chucky being closer to getting some more center time. Maybe he could be a young player worth moving in a package for a top 6 winger. Then move Chucky to center and start him off easy on the 3rd line with some skill guys to play with, which is not Eller. It’s not about Eller being given better wingers. It’s about wingers like Chucky, being given more skilled centers. My opinion on the matter.

• Al Burtlap says:

I mostly agree about Eller. I also believe many posters here have a rose-coloured memory of the. EGG line. They were not good at all toward the end of their run. Could they have been given more time, sure but none of that is or was guaranteed.

Eller is frustrating in that he has improved in so many ways, including defensive awareness, physicality and compete level but the one part most fans really want to see is offence, and he is just too indecisive with the puck (or lacks creativity) to be any sort of threat.

I am hopeful that this part too improves, and I think it will, but I am starting to think his offensive ceiling is somewhat lower than I had originally thought.

• boonie says:

Many talented players don’t score to their potential Lars seems to be one of them.

I’m no MT fan boy, but if thought the EGG line would continue to produce he would have tried them again. They weren’t producing toward trend. Gallagher proved to be a catalyst on other lines. Chunky showed his skills on other lines. Maybe, Eller fed off them.

• krob1000 says:

Last season Eller outscored…for the first 20 plus games DD was in a slump as bad as Eller’s…their is not enough offense on the team for both of them and PLeks to be scoring goals. baseless? hardly….Eller outscored Dd for all of last seasona nd again this year when given the roles….DD is signed…Eller is not…Max likes to play with DD, Eller contributes even when not scoring…id DD not scoring then he is of no use. The right thing to do in that situation….is to keep DD with Max…hope Bouruqe gets going, wait for Galchenyuk. Then you sing Eller for less based on his deflated stats…and in the offseason…you reassess and see where things og. To say Eller got his chance? yes…and he outscored DD when he did. I am firmly in the camp that Eller could proiduce DD numbers in that role….in fact I am also convinced Briere could…or even Pacioretty. Look around the league…ANy team that plays a top center with its top two wingers, in all of the offensive zone starts and on the 1st unit of thepp…every one will hav enumbrers like DD…or Eller would, or Pleks would have better, Briere would be similar…..
      How it iis baseless is beyond me when it has already been done..>DD slumped 20 games with 1 point! Eller outscored him alst season…how is that baseless?

35. Al Burtlap says:

I’m sure I am not the only one, but every time I read Andrighetto, I hear Cartman singing “in the Ghetto”…it is simultaneously annoying and awesome.

36. ProHabs says:

Anyone else think it would be a good idea for the Habs to get Radulov for the playoff stretch. Play him on a line with Pleks and Gio or Briere.

37. commandant says:

I think that is Andrighetto’s goal.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

38. Sean Bonjovi says:

It was nice to read the “About Last Night” and see that Mike Boone is finally getting wise to the disappointing truth that Larry Eller isn’t a smart enough hockey player to ever fully exploit his great physical skills.

• Timo says:

Unfortunately, Lars Eller doesn’t have anyone on the team to help him either. Definitely not his coach.

• Mark C says:

What a load of crap. Should the coach go make a good pass for him? Or maybe score a goal for him?

What is all this babying crap. Players play and are responsible for their production. Eller needs to play better, that’s on him not another teammate or coach.

• frontenac1 says:

The Viking tribes in Denmark will fix Lars. His Juices must flow again.

• Bripro says:

So you’re saying that Eller can be forgiven for his very poor play, slow reactions, turnovers, lack of motivation because of MT.

But DD, who has found his game (and as last night showed, even when not paired with Max), is still not worthy of consideration as a better C.

I wonder if you’re discriminating against his lack of vertical fortitude.

39. Maritime Ronn says:

Good afternoon

Re Markov

Agent-no agent-1/2 an agent (Sergei Berezin)…Markov knows what his present market value is, and it’s really quite simple.

He pulls up Cap Geek, goes to the Philly team chart, and finds Mark Streit at 4 years-$21M.
    A Cap Hit of $5.25M per year.

Markov will be the exact same age as Streit was when he signed his contract last summer – that being 35 years and 7 months old.
    And seriously, if teams had a choice between Streit and Markov….
    ———————–

As for trading Markov at this deadline, perhaps once upon a time that may have been a Habs management thought, yet for now that is highly unlikely.

The chances of a Markov trade are somewhere between slim and none, and a betting man would go for the ‘None’ option.

The reasons why?
    First of all, the Habs look like they will make the playoffs barring some multiple injuries to Price-Plex-Max-PK-Markov-Emelin during the Olympics.

The present pace for a playoff spot is 90 points.
    That means the Habs could actually incur a mini-slump, finish the last 23 games going 9-12-2, and still be in the postseason.

Secondly, HOW do the Habs replace the Markov minutes if traded?
    Markov Total Minutes per game: 25:04 – 1st for all Habs Dmen, and now 11th for ALL NHL Dmen.

Those minutes are broken down as follows:
    Even Strength Minutes: 18:40 – 2nd for all Habs Dmen
    Short Handed: 2:25 – 4th for all Habs Dmen.
    Power Play: 3:58 – 2nd for all Habs Dmen and 1st Unit PP.

– Even Strength: What present Dman could step in and play those top minutes against the opposition’s Top 6?
    None of Beaulieu-Murray-Bouillon-Drewiske are remotely ready for that responsibility.
    – Power Play: Some suggest Beaulieu, yet he is not ready for 1st Unit minutes.
    – Short Handed: After Gorges and Murray, who plays 2nd Unit? Subban is already minutes maxed out.
    A combo of Emelin-Bouillon-Beaulieu would be a disaster.

Lastly, regardless of the Markov money/term desires at this present moment, things can change once the playoff dust settles and the emotions and spirits are in a more calm zone.

Here’s a good bet.
    GM Bergevin will do nothing to weaken this team, and the possibility of acquiring a Top 4 Dman at trade deadline is almost nil if he trades Markov.

No, the Habs will let this play out as they have until July 1st to make a decision on the future of Markov with the Habs – and Markov will also have decisions to make both business and personal. as his present partner in life is a Montreal born lady.

If anything, GM Bergevin and staff may actually add some talent.

The Habs are in a great and enviable Cap position as of this moment.
    They actually have the ability to add almost $8M of annual Cap Hit(s) if a deal makes sense where no top prospects or draft picks are required as a return.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Agree. Despite all of the good points made by some, I cannot see the Habs dumping anyone if they are in the playoff mix. I could possibly envision a trade that benefits two teams, each trading to bolster a weak area from a surplus strong area. I cannot see this including Markov. In fact, I think Eller is the only guy. I like him, but he’s behind DD and Pleks now and Chucky in the future,

• Bripro says:

RDS had reported last week that the team actually has $4.8MM to work with by season’s end, after the call-ups and extended play on some prior to being listed on the DL.

And I would love to agree with your post, except I wonder if the team figures (assuming the negotiations with Berezin don’t go well, after having dealt with Don Meahan, then having negotiated with Markov directly), the best time to get any value out of him is this year.

His performance and minutes have been elite-status indeed, and he is on the downslope of his career, so what better time to cash in.

Personally, I’d rather they keep him for another 2-3 years. True, he’s not as fast as he was, but find a D in this league who’s got a higher hockey IQ.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Bri

Regarless of what RDS says, I trust Cap Geek more than them.
        Those guys do that for a living.
        Have a look at the far right hand column here.

The Habs deadline Cap space for adding yearly Player’s Cap Hits is now $9,453,831.

• Bripro says:

I’m with you on Cap Geek.
          But either way, the actual amount is sufficient to bring in a rental at season’s end, if necessary.
          I really feel that right now, there is a chemistry developing since the acquisition of Weise.
          Had Bournival not gone down, I’m convinced that the lines in play last night would have been the same as the two previous games.
          He brings another dimension, and a needed fast and aggressive 4th line.
          And Max going down and bringing Bourque onto the DD line worked wonders.
          I wonder if they could pair Eller with Max and Chucky after the Olympic break, and leave last night’s line as is.
          That would give us a lot more firepower, and maybe be the spark that Eller needs.

• boonie says:

He should sign you as his agent. I’d trade by the deadline in a heart beat.

Your prime point is the Flyers who have been desperate for a top defenseman since Pronger got hurt signed him and they are still a bottom half team.

A contender might pay a nice price for him. Boston gave up a first for kaberle.

Repeating the folly of your argument, Carolina signed him. Talk about regret, They did the walk of shame the next running.

We made a mistake with said kaberle and cut him.

We’ re done with relying on old defensemen coming back from two serious knee injuries and expecting a four year deal.

Bye M Markov, it’s been real.

40. HabsFanInSaintJohn says:

Sick Goal by Tinordi!

41. Kooch7800 says:

Wow….end to end Tinordi and roofs it

42. Un Canadien errant says:

Not sure if everyone is aware, but the Hamilton Bulldogs are playing the Toronto Marlies right now, on Sportsnet. I’ve fired up my PVR, but for those of you without the use of this modern wonder, be advised.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

43. byebyegomez says:

I believe Galchenyuk’s ceiling is high. He just needs top 6 minutes and powerplay time. It disgusted me to see him on the third line and really disgusted me to see Bourque and Briere on the powerplay while Galchenyuk was on the bench.

44. DipsyDoodler says:

Which hockey players from the other Olympic teams do you think would have made team Canada?

Here are my choices:

Sweden: Lundqvist (probably as starter), no one else (Zetterberg, Sedin, Karlsson are the main candidates).

Russia: Ovie and Malkin of course. Possibly Kovalchuk. Varlamov as #3 goalie.

USA: Ryan Suter, Patrick Kane, Jonathan Quick (possibly as starter). I don’t think Kessel or Parise make it.

Did I miss anyone?

• Lundqvist as your starter? Right now this very second, Lundqvist is not even top 5 on the planet.

But he’ll shine in Sochi now that he can wear his big equipment again :lol:

Ah Lundqvist the only goalie to pull himself in a hockey game, nice work Lunny, you’re the Best! :lol:

Yeah not a fan, next to Price, Ben Bishop is the only goalie right now I would think could match in skill, size, and technique.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

45. Steeltown Hab says:

I don’t think Bergevin is a pro-active GM looking at several options on the table. But obviously now when there’s value is the time to move a guy like Desharnais.

Is Bergevin even exploring this avenue though? Like is he at least testing the waters to see what he can get. Because if they continue to put Eller in situations to kill his production and then trade him for a bad return MB is a worse GM than Gauthier.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Timo says:

I think you know the answer to your question.

• Mattyleg says:

I think you’re suffering under the misconception that GMs will buy ‘high’ when a player is playing well.

The fact of the matter is that each player has a value, and (apart from an entire season of killing it – à la Johnathan Cheechoo – that can make a player look better than he is) GMs will pay for that value, no more, no less.

Chris Nilan pointed that out the other day, talking about how not playing Diaz ‘drove down his value’. If MB had played him at #3, and said, hey, look, Diaz is a #3,” GMs would have said (and they’d have been right) “C’mon, Marc, do you think we just fell off the turnip truck? And what are you doing playing Diaz at #3, anyway? Everyone injured?”

Desharnais, like every player, has a known value across the league, and trading him a day after he scores a hat-trick or after a week of not scoring isn’t going to change that.

The only thing that trading DD now would do is dig our offence into an even deeper hole.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Bripro says:

You suggest they should trade DD. OK, for who? Another draft pick maybe? For a chance at what?
      How many centres in this league can boast 31 points in their last 34 games?
      How many players PERIOD can boast almost a point per game?

• Steeltown Hab says:

Obviously Plekanec and Eller would have similar production being put in those ridiculous circumstances to succeed. Pacioretty – Gallagher are far and above our 2 best wingers. Add in first unit PP time every single time with Markov Subban, opening up so much space.

He’s not out there making something outta nothing every game. Take Gallagher off that line and it crumbles.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Mark C says:

Eller is killing his own production. 2 points in 18 games, 4 in his last 30. That’s not coaching, that’s on Eller. Great players don’t get 4 points in 30 games because of their line mates.

• habs001 says:

Eller is not an offensive player…a couple of 5 game streaks in his career dont make him an offensive player…He has never put up impressive scoring stats at any level…Maybe he was not used properly in any organized league?

46. CJ says:

HIO is like double dutch – tough to jump in and out of the discussion.

We won the games we were supposed to win this week. IMO, not much has changed with the team, however fan expectations have risen exponentially. When we were losing many were ready to throw the season away. A few wins and we are prepared to add two rentals and push for a cup.

Temperance folks. We are still a good team. As I said two weeks ago, the league has 5 great teams, 20 good teams and 5 bad teams. The trade deadline falls at a bad time for this team. I wish it was a week later, following our west coast swing.

What should we do? Of all scenarios, add, sell, stay the course, I couldn’t say what’s best. I have my feelings, which I’ve flogged to death, but I defer to the experts. I’m looking forward, with as much excitement as ever as I really don’t know what happens next.

On an aside, this is my last day of parental leave. It has been a pleasure talking hockey with everyone and I sincerely thank you all for welcoming me into your virtual forum. I look forward to remaining a member of the community and jumping in, as time permits. In the interim, my very best to each of you.

Best wishes, CJ

• CH Marshall says:

Should finish parental leave by going out with a bang ! (the bang is open to interpretation)

• boing007 says:

Trade as you go during the West Coast swing. Drop off a player here, there, everywhere. Fly back with a new team.

Richard R

• Al Burtlap says:

And what a way to use portions of that parental leave! Thanks for your many great posts over the last several weeks CJ. I look forward to catching up with you as time permits and luck would have it. Enjoy the family time that you get, you seem like a heck of a Hab fan and family man and being both is a great blessing in this crazy world of ours.

Go Habs

47. rhino514 says:

Personally, I think if they are healthy come playoff time, they can win the first round if they play anyone except Philadelphia or Pittsburgh. Tampa Bay would be difficult, though, 50/50.

• rhino514 says:

Nix that, I think they would beat Tampa Bay but lose to Detroit, and probably lose to Boston even though we play them tough.
      If they get past the first round, Boston would be the team I´d want to face in the second round, though, they would have a decent chance against them

I was really impressed with some of the moves Beaulieu’s made in the defensive zone last night… very slick. Just before he’d give the pack away, but that will hopefully be corrected.

49. gordispitz says:

bwoar
    groundhog day/ year.. that is what it will be if we are not movers/ shakers,, or the insanity/ failure definition…

Aaah…. I love DD jokes.

51. bwoar says:

Playoffs? Cup or nothing. I think some of you have forgotten what the goal of playing in the NHL is, after all. Hey, minor hockey, sure, it’s great just to show up and compete. Olympics? Do your best. Pro NHL hockey? Cup or nothing. I can’t disagree more strongly with the idea that a good run is enough. That’s the last 25 years talking. The slow acceptance of the ownership view of things, where getting in is all and then “anything can happen”. They know, folks. They know you believe it. Thay know you’ll just keep on buying it, buying in, ponying up year in and year out so long as you’re rewarded with a mostly annual runners’ chance and the occasional round 1 victory. They know all the excuses you’ll accept because they use them at the GM’s final press conference, no matter how threadbare they’ve become. They’ve gone so far as to sell you the motto “No Excuses” – that’s the level of brazen, cynic capitalism that a loser mentality enables in the fan base.

Notice they sell it at the outset, but it never comes back once the final buzzer sounds and the year closes out without any obvious step forward.

Eh, 3 more loses before today and most of us would be trading Markov. 4 more wins before today and most of us would be trying to load up, me included on both counts. I admit, that time has passed and now we’ll keep everyone. Ownership would explode if MB tried to sell any assets at ths point. Legions of fans would revolt. This place would be insane.

I get where you guys are coming from. You just wanna see some good hockey. A bit of success for this current little-core-that-could. But I can’t join in. I’ve watched the ghosts of cores past now settle for the leavings of other teams without shame. Eternally getting 2-3 players away but there’s never any ‘there’ there.

I hate the idea of Galchenyuk, age 31, maybe 1 SCF appearance, maybe one or two cracks at ECF victories, but always trying to carry a team “a couple players away”, never having enough help like Saku Koivu, in the end having to settle for a few more playoff bonuses and hoping for some international glory. Those are the echoes I hear, bouncing off the walls of HIO right now, coming up from the darkness of a quarter-century of misplaced optimism for sale, 30% off in May, a past that still sells the present and pockets all those expectations for next year’s hype machine. When we’ll be that much closer, forever and ever.

“thoroughbred”

• frontenac1 says:

Agree! It’s the Holy Grail. Always. It’s is what the CH is all about amigo.

• punkster says:

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
      but…
      ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• RockinRey says:

Well said. Year after year of trying to “make it” . Bold moves , creative trades, get some big guys with hands. All you hear are excuses that big guys are not easy to come by and that teams dont want to part with them. Apparently every other team ( many in the West) can identify,look for upside, draft and develop them. When was the last time they found a true power forward? John Leclair?

It gets tiring to hear year after year lets get in and see what happens. Truth is there is parity in the league and on any given night any team can beat another. The playoffs are different .Sure there are upsets , which make for great viewership and keen interest, but for the most part teams that are in good seed have every opportunity to move forward and are usually a team that can power their way through the playoffs.

Habs fans deserve a perennial contender

——————————————————————————————————
      You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• Mattyleg says:

It’s not like there are 29 other teams in the league that want the same thing, or anything…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

We all want the Habs to be competitive and a contender. Right bleeping now. Most of us here do remember the greatness and the pride. It seems like we are watching pale imitations of the real thing. Quite a few fans buy into it, but many here see past it and look to our team as one that is tooling up to become a contender, and is not deep enough yet to do a lot of damage in the playoffs. Cup runs rely on depth at all positions. The D isn’t there and neither are the forwards. 2 Dmen short and 2 tough secondary scorers short. If Price gets an injury, this team may pretty much be cooked.

On the other hand, if things go right… ;)

52. naweed235 says:

Eddie, I like your idea re. DD on the wing… if you recall during that playoff round against Boston, he was moved there at some point and was very effective.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’m not sure DD can play the wing…too slow. Look at the first goal from last night. They way Gally and Bourque broke out with speed and passed to each other…no way can DD make that play.

That being said, they may have to try something in the playoffs on the road where DD gets exposed defensively against top-flight centers. Eller could handle the D-play while Max and DD attack.

• CJ says:

Centre needs to play a 200 ft game. Size can be balanced, offset, on the wing. It’s hard to hide a small 1st or 2nd line centre (no pun intended).

So is DD next on standby for the Olympics team?

54. Strummer says:

Just like they didn’t deal impending free agent Mark Streit in ’08, Markov is going nowhere this season.
    You don’t move first pairing D-Men when you are trying to win down the stretch and in the post-season.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

One thing I think we can all agree on: either Markov gets signed or gets dealt. Even if Markov does not do well in the playoffs, some moron will overpay for him (see Streit in Philly). He can’t let him go for nothing like Koivu, Kovalev, etc.

• Strummer says:

I would lean toward him signing. There may already be a framework for a deal in place.
        He’s given all the signals that he wants to finish his career with the Habs.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

55. naweed235 says:

I think this whole Markov situation will play out in the next 2, max 3 weeks. You just know that MB will most definitely try to resign him but at a reasonable rate and term. It’s not smart giving him anything more than 2 years at $6M. However, I am sure that Markov will try to take advantage of his current value and cash in at least a 4 year contract at around $5.5M to $6M per. It’s his last contract and anybody else in his shoes would do the same. MB is hopefully smart enough not to handcuff the team with that type of contract. So the only logical way I see this playing out is that Markov will get traded. You simply cannot let such a valuable player walk from your organization for nothing.

As many of you already stated, MB is in a great position to start a bidding war involving at least 5 or 6 teams, including, LA, Anaheim, St Louis, Pitts., Boston and even Washington. I can easily see Minnesota and Colorado get involved as well.

All these facts considered, I think that getting a solid top 6 winger and either a prospect or a 1st rounder is not farfetched.

• Mike D says:

I don’t think Marky has ever had unreasonable contract demands, and it’s not certain that a 2 year deal would be his last contract.

Just a guess on my part, but I think Markov is seeking a 3 year deal at around 5.5mil per year. MB will give him 2 years at 6mil per (probably with a gentleman’s agreement that they would offer him another contract after this one if his play and health hold up).

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• boing007 says:

So, who would you like to have from those eight teams?

Richard R

56. Sportfan says:

Would the Habs have sent down Bournival had he not had a concussion?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

57. Phil C says:

It is possible that Markov is traded, it would be bold. But this almost never happens with a playoff team, so it is extremely unlikely to happen while in a playoff spot. If they make the playoffs but can’t sign him, consider him an own team rental without having to give anything up.

I don’t know why so many think the rest of the Eastern conference is any better than the Habs, the whole conference is wide open. This maybe be their best shot, a small window when they have Subban AND Markov, the Gallys and Eller are still cheap, and guys like Beaulieu and Bournival are blossoming. It would be crazy to throw away a shot at the Cup for future assets that may or may not help. A bird in the hand and all that.

58. frontenac1 says:

Wonder if Marc is keeping an eye on Blake Geoffrion”s kid brother Sabastien playing for the Arizona Sundogs. Check out his scrap from last night. Kid has spunk.

• CH Marshall says:

The force is strong in the family… Now if we can trade for Tony Mantha. Speaking of which, got off the train at Vaudreuil late Jan and was thrilled to see streets named after the greats, including Silvio Mantha

59. Lafleurguy says:

Last time the teams met:

“Bends but won’t break”

60. on2ndthought says:

I think this move is more for the ‘Dogs than for Beaulieu. Both the team and the individual players will benefit. It is a reminder to prospects that they can (and will) get called up AND sent down. Nothing wrong with that.

“a cannonading drive”

61. Cal says:

With some talk about the Habs somehow reaching the CF this year, I figured this song by Bob Seger would give us all a thing or two to think about.

As long as he is back in the Habs lineup as soon as the season resumes… None of that Bouillon BS anymore please.

63. Lafleurguy says:

First! to wonder if he’ll be in the 3 pm lineup today against the Marlies. Someone will check on this. Hey Burly, mojo’s back, no longer “got nothin’.”

“Bends but won’t break”

64. Habilis says:

See a few people still talking about trading Markov…

Um, no.

As it stands right now, we’re playing the Bolts in the first round. Probably the only other team in the East with a goalie who is playing as well as ours. Unless Beaulieu takes a quantum leap in the next month, we have no chance minus Markov.

With a healthy team though? We could make some real noise.

Think about it…

Round 1: We beat the Bolts in 6, which is entirely plausible. We’d need everybody playing well, but you know we can beat Tampa. The B’s beat the Loafs, the Pens beat the Wings and the Rangers beat the Flyers.

Round 2: We beat the B’s in 5. I know that sounds a little nuts but think about it for a sec. We own them lately. If healthy, we really could smoke them. Price would have to be otherworldly, but what’s new? Meanwhile, the Pens and Rangers go 7 games because Lundqvist is good and Fleury is not. Rangers win game 7, 1-0.

Round 3: We beat the Rangers in 6 because Price.

Round 4: Chicago? St. Louis? Anaheim? Bring em on.

Laugh now, cheer later.

• Phil C says:

Whoever comes out of the West will likely be a little beat up like Vancouver was against Boston, so anything could happen at that point. Your scenario is very plausible.

• Eddie says:

Phil, I suggested moving Desharnais to the wing while keeping him on the same line with Max. Many smaller centers have been moved to te wing at the NHL level including StLouis and Cammalleri.

That opens a spot for Eller between Desharnais and Max.

That brings some defence to that line, which is needed. That brings some size to the center offensively, allowing for better offensive zone possession, but Eller also has the speed to play on that line.

Eller would be pumped. Motivated. And I think this would be great for him.

Desharnais would need to make some adjustments but he has played wing in the past, I’m sure.

Then Gallagher moves back with Galchenyuk on a line and maybe Bournival for some extra defence there, and some extra speed. A new kid line. Or maybe Prust goes back with Gallagher and Galchenyuk, also great defence with him, and some toughness.

I would like to see this tried, and if it worked?? We would have 3 excellent lines that coud play sound defence but could also hurt you.

• Phil C says:

I think it is a great idea. If they tried Eller on the wing, why not DD? That’s where Naslund had success as well. I am with you that I prefer my centres and defensmen to be on the larger side if possible as long as they are not slow. Eller is not slow.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

I really like this post

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Even with Markov, they would be in tough against a healthy Steven Stamkos and a hot Ben Bishop. Imagine if they sign Markov to a four year deal and he runs out of gas and the Habs lose in the 1st round like last year. You thought the complaining about DD’s contract was bad? The GM has to consider all possible scenarios.

• naweed235 says:

Or you know… we miss the last wildcard spot by 1 point, Markov signs a 4 x $6M contract with another team and posters here will be losing their minds because we let Markov go for nothing…

• RockinRey says:

@ Habilis. Um yes . The team needs to move forward. This guy can still bring it just not under the minutes the habs need him at. I say unload him while he has some worth. he will never be worth more than he is now. The cupboard on the farm is essentially bare. Tough sell to the faithful? How about Koivu and Souray walking away for nothing…..

Beaulieu probably had visions of being beach bound. Poor bugger. It is the right move though for his development.

——————————————————————————————————
      You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

65. JUST ME says:

It`s a good thing to send Beaulieu back in Hamilton. He needs to play and furthermore he will enjoy the other guys looking up to him and realize how lucky he is to have achieved what he has with work and efforts.
    I expect him to be back probably as soon as the games are done if not, it`s never a bad thing to work on your game in the farm team. Already he is a tad better defensively then he was at the beginning of the season. His D being his bigger flaw but i think we can live with that . Until he works on it he has more upsides that we can use.

I believe there is also some cap relief by having him down during the Olympic break. I suspect Drewiskie is fully healthy but they delayed taking him off IR until after the break is over.

It will be interesting how they juggle the Dmen if indeed he is healthy. Perhaps Beaulieu’s return could be delayed slightly.

66. kerrgte says:

Sven Andrighetto of the Bulldogs has exceeded Brendan Gallagher’s points in 36 Bulldogs games with 10 goals and 15 assists. I’m hoping we get a chance to see Sven up with the big club for a few games. Wouldn’t it be terrific to see Sven succeed too?

On another note, I’m delighted to see Canada do so well at the Olympics. The Dufour-Lapointe sisters were wonderful to see.

It impresses me that Canada, with such a small population, has a dominant position in ice hockey. Let’s hope our boys can win another hockey gold.

67. Mark C says:

Some nice looking Conner Crisp highlights from last night.

• ABHabsfan says:

Crisp is a great looking prospect, can’t wait to see him start his pro career

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Competition aside, he looked really good. The first play when he drove behind the net, hit the brakes, reversed back and set-up a guy in front was impressive.

That being said it is clearly a “menz vs boyz” situation. We’ll see in the AHL how he does. At least he is dominating his league which is all you can ask a prospect to do at this point in their careers.

Luke is a season ticket holder for the Ice Dogs and generally doesn’t miss their games. Hopefully later today or tomorrow he can give us a good recap of how Crisp looked.

Thanks for the link Mark.

• boing007 says:

Who’s Crisp’s teammate with 40 goals?

Richard R

68. Habcouver says:

I’ll say it again: Beaulieu is a beaut and will be a key part of the Hab’s future success!

Waiting patiently for #25

69. UKRAINIANhab says:

Man well that kinda sucks for Beaulieu. Highly doubt he wants to go back to Hamilton. Anyways, trading Markov would be stupid we are a much much better team with Markov. We would trade Markov if we were Buffalo or Florida, but we are in the thick of things and I do not want a stupid #2 pick for Markov that We will all have to wait 10 years for. Heck even a #3 overall pick in Galchenyuk has not fully hit potential yet and I am not sure his ceiling is that off players like Barkov, Mackinnon etc. I am not a fan of trading for picks!

70. commandant says:

Part 4 of the Draft Rankings.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

71. DipsyDoodler says:

D_Mike

Regarding the playoffs, is winning the cup the only thing?

I’d also be happy if we made some noise.

2010 was fun.

And imagine if we’d beaten the Bruins in 2011. Would it have mattered that we hadn’t gone all the way?

So I don’t think we should get an expensive rental, unless its someone we think we can sign longterm.

But also we shouldn’t put on a fire sale.

No trading Markov or Moen. If we have an extra player on March 1 we just have to waive Parros, or maybe trade him to Calgary. Aren’t they a goon short of a real Brian Burke team?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

It is not a fire sale when you have an excess of players. If you can get something for Moen, why not? There are plenty of replacements for him. I can understand this argument for Markov, but not for Moen.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Fits to the final line of Stairway to Heaven:

“Maybe Markov but not for Moen”.

• Habs1962 says:

last year I believe we had 3 or 4 forwards out at or near end of season and pasts of the 5 games in playoffs… is a couple of extra forwards not a necessity? Moen is a competitor and we can use him down the stretch and in playoffs IMO

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Dipsy! Totally with you. The Cup is assuredly not the only thing, especially at this early stage in the MB rebuild. A 2010-style showing would be a fantastic bonus, and no, it would not have mattered had we not gone all the way had we beaten Boston in 2011. I am nowhere near the expensive rental brigade, sorry if my post created that impression. It was only a little dreaming.

• piper says:

I just don’t like the thoughts of resigning a thirty five year old for 3 or 4 years at over 5 million just to maybe win a round when they could build for next year or the year after. I can’t see this team beating Philly, Boston, Pit, or the Leafs in a 7 game series.

• Mike D says:

I very much doubt the club would re-sign Marky to a 4 year deal. Don’t think you need to worry about that. While I truly have no idea what MB is thinking, I just don’t see them going more than 3 years and I think they’d really want to keep it at 2 if possible.

– Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• Mike D says:

Not sure if your post was directed at myself or Dunboyne Mike.

I assume the latter, but I’ll reply anyway :-P

The Cup is by far the biggest thing, but not winning it doesn’t mean total failure. It allows the brain trust to see what pieces are needed to take the next step. My opinion though is that the Habs are not “there” yet and that making it far into the post season would be more of an aberration or luck than an accurate reflection of our team. Don’t get me wrong, I’d soak in every second of it, but I don’t think we’re real contenders ATM.

The team lacks consistency big time. Very few games this season I have seen them give a true 60 minute effort. That’s a huge problem. If Bourque can play the way he is capable of all the time, and if Eller can become a more consistent force (we’ve only seen brief flashes as of yet), then maybe we are contenders. Our D could be better too but I like our pipeline there.

We definitely should NOT get an expensive rental. However, I don’t see any real detriment in trading a forward who can be easily replaced, or who would bring a return that outweighs the cost of losing said player.

I’d keep Markov if he can be re-signed for 2 years in the 5-6mil range (per year). I’m on the fence about Moen because I see his value but also think he could net a 1st rounder at the deadline. I would trade Gio and Briere no problem. I like Gorges and think he’d be great as a 5-6 Dman, but the problem with him is his salary and that we no longer play the JM system which really showcased his value.

– Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• commandant says:

People underestimate the importance of a playoff run in the development of the careers of guys like Pacioretty, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Price, etc… who have never really been part of one at the NHL level. Of all our youngsters only Subban was really part of the 2010 run.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

72. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Makes sense to send Beaulieu down. BTW I wonder what the odds are of the Habs making it to the Eastern Conference final? With Seidenburg down and Letang hurting, maybe they have a shot of getting there.

I have no idea what to think about trading Markov, as I see pro and cons to both sides of the discussion. But if indeed Letang doesn’t come back for playoffs, just how much of a bidding war could one start between Boston and Pittsburgh for the services of #79. Problem is I would hate to see him play for an Eastern rival…

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think it all comes down to his contract demands, especially term. If they are huge, MB has to move him. This is sort of like when they resigned him with the knee injury. You are gambling on how fast his play will deteriorate due to his age (and he has had some awful games this year). I initially was willing to wait until the end of the year to see if he is able to play well in the playoffs. However, with market conditions so good, MB should at least explore the option. Anyway, it is not an easy decision. This is why MB gets paid the big bucks. He will definitely not be traded to the East, especially with MB’s connections in the West.

• RockinRey says:

Exactly unless they added a sweetner they would probably move him to the west. I am not certain as to whether he has limited no trade clause. But you can be pretty certain he would want to stay in the East.

Maybe he’d be open to being a rental.

——————————————————————————————————
        You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

• Phil C says:

It looks like Pittsburgh and Boston has first place locked up, so it would be good to avoid the wildcard spot. It looks like Tampa or the Leafs in the first round if they can finish in the top three. The games against those teams have been very close so a playoff series would probably be very tight and competitive. If they could get out of the first round healthy, who knows what could happen.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Can either of you guys remember who posted the ECF trajectory I mentioned on the previous thread? Maybe it was yourself, DDO?

Man, Burly. It hurt to see Iginla playing with Boston. Can you imagine Markov?….

• RockinRey says:

Anyone has a shot if healthy and their goalie gets hot. Regardless my sense is that the habs are a middling team at best. I think they have some major work to do on the forwards.

They should really take a long look at unloading some of the forwards and start to look at a rebuild that can occur faster with a few tweaks and key trades. Otherwise its the same as every year….a fight for a playoff spot and a middle of the pack draft pick.

——————————————————————————————————
      You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

Morning

1st to welcome Beaulieu back to Hamilton!

74. DipsyDoodler says:

I had Quick.

I wasn’t including Finland and Slovakia.

No way Sedin makes the team. Datsyuk maybe.

75. Bripro says:

What’s your point?

76. Habilis says:

No, I’m not.

Good call though. I’m sure that Geoff Molson -who has spent his entire life with behind the scenes access to the greatest hockey organization on the planet, a team he rooted for as a kid like all of us- only cares about money and doesn’t give a hoot about the Cup. Smart.

Point in fact, Molson probably wants a Cup more than any of us.

The man was basically bred to own this team. Show a little respect.