Habs send Beaulieu back to Hamilton for Olympic break

Nathan Beaulieu won’t be taking a vacation during the NHL’s Olympic break.

The Canadiens announced on Sunday morning that the defenceman has been assigned to the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs. In 16 games with the Canadiens this season the 21-year-old has two assists, eight penalty minutes and is plus-5. In 32 games with Hamilton, he has four goals, 10 assists , 21 penalty minutes and is minus-4. Beaulieu was selected by the Canadiens in the first round (17th overall) of the 2011 NHL entry draft.

The Bulldogs visit the Toronto Marlies Sunday at 3 p.m. The game will be televised on RS360.

The Canadiens headed into the Olympic break on a high note, beating the Carolina Hurricanes 4-1 Saturday night for their third straight victory. The Habs sit in third place in the Atlantic Division with 70 points, one behind the Tampa Bay Lightning. The Toronto Maple Leafs also have 70 points, but have played one more game. Montreal and Toronto are six points clear of fifth-place Detroit.

Canadiens fans – and Team USA – got a scare Saturday night when Max Pacioretty crashed into the goalpost and had to be helped from the ice.

“I had trouble catching my breath,” Pacioretty told reporters after the game. “It’s a play I make often. I went in a little awkwardly and I dinged my arm and my hip, but I feel good now.

“I was very worried at first,” he added. “It was tough to breathe and I was having back spasms, but I had X-rays and there was nothing broken. I had some treatments while the game was going on and I feel better, I was in a lot of pain but I could tell t was more muscular. I don’t feel that bad right now and I have a couple of days before we start playing in Sochi.”

Carey Price and P.K. Subban, who will be part of Team Canada in Sochi, will fly to Russia on Sunday. Team Canada plays its first game at noon Thursday ET against Norway. Team USA plays Slovakia at 7:30 a.m. Thursday.

(Photo by Claus Andersen/Getty Images)

Complete Olympic hockey coverage, Postmedia News

Canadiens win third straight, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Pacioretty feels better, will play in Sochi, by Pat Hickey

Sizing up Canada’s competition in Sochi, by Pat Hickey

Dream comes true for Weise’s father, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Olympic outlook: Max Pacioretty, Canadiens.com

Desharnais riding high, Canadiens.com

NHL standings are as close as ever at Olympic break, The Hockey News

Habs now listed at 33-1 odds of winning Stanley Cup, Stu on Sports blog

Roy has put Avalanche into playoff contention, Sportsnet.ca

Rocket Richard (and the Beatles) appeared with Ed Sullivan, Stu on Sports blog

1. jo_maka says:

I think the best option for Team Canada is to have PK as a 7th D. A powerplay stalwart, and on ice if we ever have to get a goal to tie up a game.

I actually really like everything about having 7 Ds. If we have enough specialists, I think that’s the way to go.

“All right, they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us…they can’t get away this time”

2. DipsyDoodler says:

I haven’t been paying much attention to the Canadian olympic team, but can anyone explain how Carter and Nash got on the team?

How did these guys get picked ahead of St.Louis, Giroux, Seguin, Hall, Neal or even Big Joe Thornton?

• C-Sword says:

Carter has a heck of a shot, he’s also one of the best at tying up games late in regulation.

• scarboro_habitant says:

thought neal should have made the team over the likes of carter and/or nash.

• mrhabby says:

carter has size and a nasty wrist/slap shot.

Nash ..see above.

• jo_maka says:

Carter is having a very good season also, and has one of the best release in the whole league. Body, skating, rightie. All those details counts.

And while Nash doesn’t have the quickest acceleration, please tell me who wants to get in front of him when he’s on top speed crashing the crease, especially on big ice where his big body can build up even greater momentum.

Hall and Neal for me would’ve been a natural also, but maybe that’s where Carter and Nash’s experience come into play.

As for Jumbo Joe, love him but down the middle he can’t bump any of the C we have on big ice. C’mon, Sid-Toews-Getzlaf-Bergeron ? A team where we even have to put Tavares on the wing ?

3. JUST ME says:

We could see that the Fin`s would break down as soon as their goaler would let one in.
    Still a good game for the Fins but not convinced yet that this olympic discipline is available for a lot of countries equally. We can see a few opponents getting better as we do on the men`s side but north america has been way too dominant up to a point that it is neither fair, fun or a real competitive. We`ll see i guess..

• Cal says:

Canada and USA Hockey should “adopt” a couple countries each and grow the game. They must move to do this quickly. Otherwise, the women’s game will lose Olympic status.

4. Chuck says:

Good for the ladies with another shutout, but credit to the Finns for skating with them for the first 50 minutes of the game.

Beautiful 3rd period by the ladies. Hefford was fantastic and what a blast by Augasta. I bet even DD can’t shoot like that.

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Price called as starting goalie …I assume for first game

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

…only just awoke out here in LaLaLand, turning on whatever to watch of the Olympics

…middle third period of Canada Finland women’s hockey …I don’t know BoingBoing, but these gals look like they can skate to Me

…and Bergevin should be signing Acosta and Hefford post de quick …they shoot harder and more accurately than any present Hab :)

8. shiram says:

Subban is on a line with Hamhuis

9. Maksimir says:

Just a thought… Bourque seemed to click nicely with DD last game with Patches out… how about post Sochi:

Bourque-DD-Patches
    Briere-Pleks-Gionta
    Gally-Eller-Galch
    Weise-White-Bournival

Not sure what to do with Moen or Prust then though?

Moen & Briere swap time in the pressbox? And maybe Bournival & Prust?

MB needs to make a trade and relieve some of that pressure up front… maybe a Moen/Bourque package for ??

10. Rad says:

Sven Andrighetto Player of the Week in the AHL. This kid is coming on strong, and may be the next Dog forward to make the Habs. He is only 5’9″, but he is pretty solid at around 190 lbs. I read somewhere that he is a workout fanatic, so it wouldn’t surprise if he tips the scales at 200 by next year’s training camp. With a low center of gravity, he should be able to play in the NHL at that weight.

11. Cal says:

Finally! 1-0 Can
    EDIT: make that 2-0

12. shiram says:

It’s tough to see, but Yannick Weber still supports a Montreal pro sport team.

13. Sportfan says:

WOW a penalty for refusing to start the game, imagine if we could give those to the Refs and linesmen.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

14. scarboro_habitant says:

a fight could turn this game around lol…

15. krob1000 says:

So Crosby gets Kunitz and Jeff Carter
    TSNBobMcKenzie: Crosby between Kunitz-Carter, Toews between Sharp-Nash, Getzlaf between JT-Perry, that’s three seemingly defined lines and 5 Fs for 4th.

• jo_maka says:

Man, that 3rd is scary

Looks like the rest of the world is catching up in women’s hockey. It’s a good thing because quite frankly I’ve had enough of Canada-US matchups. Finns gave US pretty tough time too, so we’ll see if team Canada can pull this one off. Personally, I think new blood is needed and I heard a part of Cherry’s rant of not selecting one pretty tough defense lady to the team. Like everything with hockey Canada politics are probably getting in the way of putting the best team on the ice.

Also, I guess having a new coach (Dineen, really?) weeks before the olympics wasn’t helpful.

But I like this game so far… lots of body contact and chippy.

• jo_maka says:

Tessa Bonhomme has always been solid for Canada. I still don’t understand why she didn’t make the team.

Then again, I don’t follow it as much as Men’s hockey obviously so maybe there was a rookie who stole her spot.

17. Habfan10912 says:

Finland’s goaltender is terrific.

18. Cal says:

2 PERIODS OF NOTHING. 0-0 CDA-FIN

• Habfan10912 says:

Hi Cal. We here have the punishment of listening to MaGuire on NBCSN.
      “I saw her in 2005 and blah bkah blah…… ”
      Where’s my mute button. Sigh.

• jo_maka says:

One of these days, I hope there will be someone speaking to Pierre and just asking him out of the blue: ”Hey Pierre, here’s a good one for you. What is the nickname she gave to her 3rd grade teacher ?”. Just to hear the same man answer himself 4 seconds later by: ”We don’t know, and we don’t care, so shut up already”.

• Cal says:

Wish we had the option of the “sounds of the game” instead of bad announcers and worse “colour” men/women.
        Myself, I’m at work listening to the radio while watching the CBC feed. No announcers= no problems watching.

19. CJ says:

@ Eddie and others regarding Callahan

I have always thought that Callahan reminded me of Mike Peca, a former Ottawa 67 and a player I was/am very familiar with. In Callahan I see many of the same qualities. I would love to add him to our roster in the offseason, however the fact that he has turned down a multiple year offer at $6 million dollars is concerning.

Much like Peca – and we are seeing an example with Clowe and Clarkson, albeit in the early stages – when the end comes for these players, it hits hard. I would not want to be left holding this kind of contract ($6 million +) when things break down. Given Callahan’s career status, I don’t think he will become better then what he is right now, which again I regard as an exceptional leader and go to guy.

So, would I take him for 3-4 years at $6 million per season, absolutely. Would I want him for 6-7 years, no. If he has turned down five years with the Rangers, the likelihood of him accepting less in Montreal in almost zero.

• Eddie says:

I agree it’s not an easy decision to make.

Consider this. How many teams would offer your offer, 20, 25, 30?

• CJ says:

I’d venture a guess and say all 30. He is a great player. My only concern is how will he hold up.

It’s the same basis I have used regarding Markov. 1-2 more years at $6 million per season suits me fine. However, when we start talking about a 3-5 deal I get concerned.

• Eddie says:

Yes. Your concern is legitimate. There are risks that must be taken if you want to win.

• CJ says:

I completely agree. I am just not sure if we are there yet.

That said, if PK bounces back following the Olympic break it will really help to push the team forward. I think we have been winning recently (5-1-1) in spite of PK’s play and not because of it. There are not many times you will see this during the course of PK’s career, but it seems to be a reality these past few weeks.

I posted yesterday that I favored the unconvential approach, so I am sold on the idea of working against the grain.

Looking forward to seeing what Bergevin has planned following the Olympic break.

20. Captain aHab says:

Crap…LeGuellec was first by 20+ seconds in the Ski Pursuit and did a total face plant in a curve…finished well back in 26th.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

21. jo_maka says:

After the incredibly sweet firecracker JDL’s gold in women’s mogul and her infectious glee, now Hamelin is pulling a Vancouver 2.0 with St-Gelais.

Canada wins all the medals in adorableness !!!

And sorry, we’re not sorry.

GIrls are starting to take it to Finns. Come on. Lets get some goals, ladies.

23. crane says:

We must try and go for it this year.Price at his best,Markov AND Plekanec not getting any younger. The defence not bad,just need a couple of top six forwards.The east wide open,and you only face one team from west and not until the finals.We wait 2or3 years Markov,Plekanec,Georges be of no help.

24. Sportfan says:

Feeling very Canadian right now, instead of doing homework, or getting my readings done, I’m watching Team Canada Hockey! Totally worth it

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

25. DipsyDoodler says:

Send Charles Hamelin a hockey stick, a hockey trainer, and an entry level contract.

Do it MB.

26. Luke says:

I had the pleasure of watching the Sudbury Wolves pound my Niagara Icedogs into dust Saturday Night.

Obviously I kept an eye out for Crisp. He was the first star, scored a goal and added a pair of first assists.

Each assists was a cross creaser where he deked the defender to create the lane. The second assist, was terrific where he made the defender look silly. Which was nice, because on the other side of the crease, Pancel was making his defender (who was trying to start a fight) look foolish. He stepped around him and walked to the net for the easy tap in.

Crisp’s goal was the kind we want to see in Montreal. Standing in front of the net, knocked down to his belly, but still aware enough while lying on the ice to corral the puck and swipe it into the net.

Over all I like the way he plays. He looks comfortable, kept away from any shenanigans but stuill had presence out there on the ice. Skating was fine. Not exceptional, but not awful either.
    He seems like a pretty smart player out there. He was never really caught out of position.

I think he built up some good karma from when he played net against Niagara and they pumped 14 past him. Everytime I’ve seen him play whether with Erie or Sudbury, he’s played really well.

I like the game he plays. I hope he can make the big team in a few years.

That’s my amateur scouting report. I’ll also add that Sudbury is a very good team. The Icedogs… not so much.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Any thought to changing their name?

• Luke says:

Oh, I wish. But no, I don’t think so. I hate the name.

The “Niagara” thing is going to be around for a while. I’m not sure why marketing folks think that branding it “Niagara” will help it appeal to the folks from Niagara Falls or Welland and the other towns around the region.

I’m sure St. Catharines Icedogs (still, yuck) would be just as strong and perhaps solidify it a bit more since it gives a definite presence as opposed to a more vague “Niagara”. I’m sure some people think the team is based in Niagara Falls due to the name…

If there are marketing folks lurking here, I’d like to hear the theory.

• Forum Dog says:

Thanks for the recap. I for one don’t get to very many Junior games, especially one’s that involve Habs prospects. Good to know that Crisp is doing as well as he is offensively. While I doubt anyone expects that to translate directly to the pro game, if he can put up points in Junior it means he’s got enough skill to be more than a one-dimensional tough-guy. The key will be the skating and whether he has the speed and agility to keep up with the NHL space. Luckily, skating is one thing that can be improved through simple practice and hard work.

I mentioned on the weekend that you were probably at the game. Thanks for the report. Sorry bout your Dogs losing.

• Luke says:

Thanks… they are pretty bad. I had pretty low expectations when the season started and so far they’ve been met.

They usually play hard, so even when they lose, it’s usually watchable. But against tema slike Barrie (Thursday) I’ll wait until the second period before I buy the 50/50 ticket and commit to the staying for the third.

I’ve got my fingers crossed that the Habs can somehow grab Perlini in the draft. He’s been excellent this year. The team is a mess without him (currently out with a shoulder injury) and I’d really like to have a Hab prospect to watch all season.

Vail & McCarron only play here once a year, and Crisp is three times but I’ll miss his final game (this Sunday).

Really pleased I bought this season ticket. Highly recommend it for hockey fans with a local Junior team.

One of my good friends here in Burlington is from St. Catherines and his step dad is a season ticket holder. I will see when my buddy is next going to join his step pops for a game, perhaps make the trek with him. Would be great to take in a game with you.

CHeers Luke!

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks for your birds eye report. As I said early this morning one of my favorite perks about this site us hearing from our own reporting on our prospects. Crisp sound like the kind of player the Doctor ordered.
      CHeers

• Luke says:

My pleasure. Obviosuly, I’m biased when I watch him and have no real knowledge about what makes a Junior player capable of becoming a pro, but I like the way he plays. It’s mature.

He’s not running around, he’ll fight but he doesn’t go looking for it, or causing the trouble.

For a big guy, he looks like he’s comfortable… he doesn’t have that rangy awkwardness some big teenagers have.

• boing007 says:

Who is this Pancel guy? I think he has 40 goals already. He should change his last name to Parcel. He delivers the goods. He will be draft eligible this year.

Richard R

• Chris says:

Crisp has been a pleasant surprise this season, but the thing that will make or break his career is his skating. The jump from the CHL to the AHL in terms of speed is big, and of course the NHL is another big jump after that.

Crisp’s size and playing style should see him earn a checking role in the NHL, at the very least. Unlike a lot of big men, he is a smart checker that doesn’t go out of position to throw big checks. And unlike a lot of big men, he’s actually got some hands to go with his physical play.

The Habs would be very wise to invest in some elite skating coaching for players like de la Rose, Crisp, and McCarron.

• boing007 says:

Why are women hockey players such slow skaters?

Richard R

• dr. gesundheit says:

Crisp played well in Kitchener last night as well. Played an intelligent game and did not put himself out of position to initiate contact.

Actually appeared quite shifty and very difficult to contain (especially in close) and also made some great passes (especially in close) however, was not rewarded as his mates failed to convert. Scored one of Sudbury’s 2 goals in a 3-2 shoot-out loss. Picked as one of 3 shooters in the shoot-out and was the only one who beat the ‘tender in the shoot-out but rang it off the post.

• Wintercount says:

good job, Luke! Ta.

27. Cal says:

0-0 AFTER 1 PERIOD WOMEN’S HOCKEY- CDA-FIN

28. Strummer says:

There’s a Hab connection to the Swiss men’s team (other than Diaz/Weber)

Ryan Gardner is the the son of Hab first round pick from 1972 draft Dave Gardner. Steve Shutt was drafted slightly higher in the same draft.
    Guys from my era will remember the Shutt-Harris -Gardner line as one of the best in the history of Junior Hockey. Billy Harris was the first overall pick for the Isles same draft. That was their first draft as they were an expansion team.

Edit- Gardner’s grandfather Cal and Ken Reardon of the Habs also had a history.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

29. Eddie says:

Ryan Callahan would be cool.

• Eddie says:

In a Habs uniform. 20 goals. Tough as nails. Leadership.

• punkster says:

Re sign DD, pay him the $6M he’s worth and convince him he’s 6’2″

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
        but…
        ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

• Eddie says:

My daughter is a 17 year old forward playing high school hockey in the States. She towers over him! She’s 5’10. When I told her she had a good laugh!

• Luke says:

Hockey DB lists him at 5’10″, 190lbs. TSN has him at 5’11″.

My problem with Callahan is this:

He plays the style of hockey that will see him breakdown by the back end of his hefty contract.
          If Clarkson is worth 5.2million, you can be darn tootin’ Callahan is going to command a heck of a lot more.
          He seems to score right around the 20 goal mark and puts up aroud the 45-50 points. Which are decent numbers for a second line winger.

He is a banger, which is great, but I reckon he’s going to 6.5 million as a UFA. A lot to pay a guy who has never scored more points than Desharnais.

I’d keep away from Callahan. He’s good, and could help, but in the long run, I don’t think he’s worth what you’d have to trade to get him, or what you’d have to pay to keep him.

• Strummer says:

” … Hockeynomics 101: Ryan Callahan, the 227th leading scorer in the NHL, is thumbing his nose at the $6-million, five-year offer from the Rangers when he should have grabbed the offer, screamed with glee and signed immediately …”

-Steve Simmons Feb. , 2014

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Eddie says:

Callahan has averaged about 20 goals for 5 seasons in a row now. He’s a very valuable piece over and above his scoring. The Cap is going to what 72 million, which means the average player will make over 3 million.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Ryan Callahan: 11g / 13 a = a bargain at $6M

David Desharnais: 11g / 21a = the reason we’ll never win at $3.5M

• Chris says:

The nice thing with Callahan is that he actually can take on more of an offensive role and perhaps relax some of his checking. He was a 50 goal scorer and elite offensive player here in Guelph and he scored at a 40+ goal rate in his first AHL season, all fueled by his elite skating. Callahan has great wheels and an outstanding work ethic.

I think he is a guy that doesn’t get as much respect as he deserves offensively because of the style that the Rangers have been playing in recent years.

30. Eddie says:

With Gionta certainly gone by years end there’s a huge whole opening up on the right side next to Plekanec.

That is a 5 or 6 million dollar spot in the roster, a top 6 spot, a power play player.

Any thoughts?

Lets not put Bourque there please. I like him. But he has not earned that spot with his play. Not by a long shot.

Neither is that right winger in Hamilton.

So it very likely that a major piece will be added to this organization between now and July 1.

So your saying MB is signing Vanek or Moulson this summer, Cool!

• Eddie says:

I don’t like either of those guys actually. My personal bias. Vanek strikes me as a selfish type, not sure why.

Moulson built his career next to Tavares, a true superstar, and someone will pay him but I don’t think it will be us.

• mrhabby says:

Vaneks wife is from Minnesota..this is where he wants to sign in the off season.

• Forum Dog says:

There is widespread speculation that Vanek wants to see what can be done with Minnesota. He played his college hockey there and his wife is from the State. I doubt Montreal goes after him, especially if the price is $7.5 or more.

I also don’t see Moulson as a Hab, though the name fits (kind of).

One name that hasn’t been mentioned much is Vrbata. He may re-up with Phoenix, but if he goes to the market might be a interesting sign. He is not overly physical (averages about 75 hits a season), but he is a decent size (6’1″, 200lbs), good skater and smart player who is capable of scoring 30. If he could be gotten for between $4-5M, he would bring legitmate top-six skills to the RW.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m not sure what the squabble between Chris Stewart and the St. Louis Blues is all about but TSN is reporting he’s been available for a while now.

He’s EXACTLY what the Habs need. He’s under contract for another year. I’d do everything in my power to land him if I were Marc Bergevin.

• Eddie says:

I’ve always liked Stewart but I’m suspicious why St Louis does not like him. Is it a Hitchcock issue?

• Forum Dog says:

I think he had similar troubles in Colorado. He is a good player, but personality/coachability is an important consideration. If he wants to play his own way and not buy into a team concept, it can create huge problems both on and off the ice. Not saying that is the case with Stewart, but if two teams have been willing to deal him despite his production, it could be a red-flag.

That said, I agree that he is exactly the “type” of RW Montreal needs. And if I remember correctly, when his brother Anthony was drafted, the family grew up Habs fans….

• Kooch7800 says:

I like Stewart as well. He is big and has a mean streak. He is a little streaky on the scoring side though.

I wonder what they would want for him. You don’t see many teams asking about him though in the rumor mill

I watched a game the other night when he scrapped Mark Stuart on the powerplay. It was a rough game.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Sportfan says:

I don’t want to sound negative but there is a possibility that Gionta gets extended for a 1 year deal. I doubt it’ll happen, but if he gets 20 goals and ends the season well we may have him for one more season.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Kooch7800 says:

He very well could. I highly doubt though he will get 9 goals in the last 23 games.

Gionta just doesn’t have the fire power anymore.

He has shown flashes of it recently though

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Forum Dog says:

I could see him being a 3rd liner but at his age, and with the direction the team is going (guys like Subban, Price, Pacioretty assuming greater leadership roles), I think that spot should be taken over by a younger player. Someone like Leblanc should be able to play those minutes and bring just as much, and continue his development at the same time.

• Habfan17 says:

At this point, there does not appear anyone on the farm is ready to take the spot. With not knowing who will be available as a UFA this summer, it is hard to say. Moulson is a left wing, Vanek will probably get more than the $5 million. A trade may be the best way to go. If MB could get Stewart from the Blues, that may be the best option.
      Maybe their first and Bourque!

Habfan17

• CH Marshall says:

Not thst they’ll be ready by then, but I’m hoping De Là Rose and Collberg become part of our top 6 eventuslly. Still wish we drafted Martha…

31. jimmy shaker says:

Did you guys see the TSN bit with the players arriving in sochi? Looks like they were all going on the same bus. Canucks, yankees even marky. Subban was going on with JVR close behind him. That would’ve been fun to see…..I bet they are sitting next to each other.

Cheers on another gold mr.hamelin!

shaker out!

32. third generation haber says:

Just for fun, the team I’d love to see us ice for the 2015-16 season.

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2016 Stanley Cup champions!

Pacioretty/ Galchenyuk/ Gallagher
    Hudon / Eller / De La Rose
    Bournival / Leblanc / McCarron
    Bordeleau / White/ Prust
    Crisp

Subban/ Beaulieu
    Emelin/ Thrower
    Tinordi/ Gorges
    Pateryn

Price/ Fucale

Big, fast, talented, and tough!
    (of course, I have no idea if these guys will ever make it to the NHL)

j.p. murray

What is best about your speculation is that there are even some options with those players mentioned.

Crisp may in fact make it before McCarron, Dietz may make it before Thrower, there is also Bennett playing D down in Michigan and there is another kid in College hockey Didier who could be the darkhorse. Add to that Nygren who went back to Sweden.

At forward spots there is Vail and Collberg also as potential forwards.

Obviously we are looking at this with Habs coloured glasses, but there is some talent starting to stockpile in the pipeline.

• third generation haber says:

Cheers for the feedback!

I did consider the players you mentioned. I have doubts about Collberg becuase he’s been hopeless playing against men. I believe he got drafted highish because he’s great in the shootout and on the PP. I don’t see him developing into a true 5 on 5 NHLer.

Bennett is a little small, but doesn’t put-up enough offense to be considered an offensive d-man, so I don’t see the point.

Didier, from what I’ve read, is a physical shot-blocking d-man who apparently has no offensive upside. Meaning he’d really have to be strong defensively to get a crack. But the college kids don’t play enough, so like Pateryn, after graduation he’ll need a few years in the AHL.

Like what u said about the pipeline. During the Gainey/ Gauthier years we wasted so many pics on college guys (2006-2011). They don’t play much and aren’t even sure if they want to be hockey players. Pacioretty is about the only one who payed-off for us.

Now that we’re heavily scouting the entire CHA and Europe our prospect pool, including younger habs and Bull-dogs, has greatly improved. The Hockey News gave us an A+ rating for the past 2 drafts!

If u follow the EOTP top 25 under 25 each year, you can see how much we have improved. Our top 10 used to include hopeless prospects like Avtsin, but now we have much greater depth. Our top 20 are believed by many to be worthwhile prospects.

j.p. murray

Agree, it is improving greatly. The College players can be a bit more of a crapshoot due to the schedule they play, but we are seeing more and more US College hockey players in the NHL each season. I still have positive thoughts towards both Bennett and Didier. The best part is the fact there are options, obviously some won’t pan out, so the more options the better.

CHeers, and yes I do regularly read up on the prospects from Eyes on the Prize and other sites. I also try and watch as much College Hockey as possible on TV, surprising how many games I am able to watch these past couple seasons.

• naweed235 says:

not to burst your bubble but those top lines lack serious experience. Look at Oilers… A Plekanec on that team would be a world of difference.

• third generation haber says:

My bubble is what I’m enjoying!

I was thinking about the 2015-16 season. Pleky will be 33 then, still a good player I’d imagine, but, by that point, I believe he’ll be a cap-hit casualty.

j.p. murray

I can’t speak for 3rdGenHab, but I think the biggest point of his post is simply that in 2-3 years we will have a great deal more prospects chomping at the bit to try and make NHL club. Something we haven’t had in quite some time.

Datsyuk not skating at Russian practise this morning. Detroit has to be wondering about how healthy he is, still believe he will play for Russia, perhaps not their first game.

34. -31, -41 with the wind chill, pretty freakin sick of Manitoba.

My Bantams had a 4-1 lead in the middle of the second, then took 9 minutes in penalties and we went into the third down 5-4. Yeah that sucked. Then we took another 10 minutes in our worst disciplined game ever against the best team in the league and lost 7-5.

Canada wins Gold. While the Europeans love their ice size, their talent pool is drying up and Canada’s team is even better than the last one. I hope every game is a convincing win, and I hope PK gets to play.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

35. Cal says:

It’s a long wait until the next Habs game. The men and women’s teams will give us all something to cheer for in the meantime.
    Time for fearless predictions:
    Women’s hockey: US gold, Canada silver, Finland bronze
    Men’s hockey: Sweden gold, Russia silver, Finland bronze.
    The Olympic-sized rink will wreak havoc on the North American game, despite all the talent on both clubs. They simply aren’t prepared for it and have almost no time to alter how they play. Even the goalies will have trouble with all the different shooting angles a larger rink presents.
    Happy Olympics, everyone. And let’s all hope the athletes stay safe.

• scotland says:

mens game for sure. womens game? should not even be at the games. who do they slaughter next before the only game that matters. usa. the rest of the teams are there because canada and usa could never go to games if there was only two teams.

• Eddie says:

The women play on international ice regularly. It’s part of their training.

I agree about the men. I see us having trouble.

36. Strabo says:

Canada and the USA need to make some drasctic changes and do whatever they need to do and spread the game worldwide or they will be going the way of softball.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

37. Eddie says:

With due respect, instead of concluding that there’s something wrong with Louis Leblanc, maybe we should consider the following:

1) when Leblanc left Harvard he had just been named the Rookie of the Year in his league. The Canadiens approached him and encouraged him to leave school and pay Junior hockey in Montreal. Also it was understood that he would be fast tracked to the NHL

2) Leblanc was a Hab for about 1/2 a season in 2011/2012. I thought, and many agreed, that he p,ay ed well. He scored 5 goals and added 5 assists in very limited minutes.

3) then the Habs changed over and the new management group came in

4) fast forward to a few weeks ago. Who ddnt think that Leblanc played well in his few game call up? Of course he did.

5) it’s Bergevin and possibly Terrien who are simply not interested in Leblanc as a player, and no doubt that has taken a toll on his play back in Hamilton. Leblanc knows that the reports here said he was finished as a Hab only last week.

6) he’s discouraged. He’s disappointed. He’s hoping to be traded. It’s mutual at this point. And I don’t blame him for a second.

I wish him well and I hope he is traded.

• scotland says:

well put eddie. louis will go on to another club and have a nice career i believe. for some reason the new habs management is not interested. under therrien the only bulldog that has shown well is beaulieu. apparently tinordi, paytern, dumont, thomas, natinen, st pierre, among others are not up to snuff to crack the powerhouse habs. I mean with the likes of boulion, moen, bourque, brierre, gionta, diaz, dd, parros, bournival, murray….with house hold names like that…..how could players like louis lebalnc expect any ice time at all. ( ;

• third generation haber says:

I didn’t even bother reading the list u compiled because I’m sure I already agree.

LL, when he’s played in Montreal, has looked very mature. If I were MB, I would tell him to gain 15 pounds of muscle and be ready to take Daniella Briere’s spot next season.

LL is a hard-working kid and his heritage is another bonus for bringing him on-board. He’s a third line, 200 foot player with some offensive upside.

If we give-up on him it will come back to haunt us. This reminds me of Beauchemin and Robidas.

Do Quebecois prospects have to prove themselves more than others do in Montreal??? I mean, is management afraid of sending the message that hometown kids get an easier ride than other prospects do?

j.p. murray

38. CJ says:

Good morning everyone!

Well, my parental leave now over, I’m back to work this morning. Incidentally I’m also celebrating my birthday. Sorry, shouldn’t say celebrating so much as it’s just another day. Mind you, it’s a chance for my oldest to have a piece of cake, so there’s something to be said for that.

Colour me crazy, but I just haven’t gotten into the Olympics yet. I’m certain that will change when the puck drops though. I saw Price’s Olympic masks this morning and they were unreal. I have every confidence that he will shine on the world stage. Lastly, I just hope all players, including our opponents, have a great tournament, void of injuries. Nothing will derail NHL participation faster then having someone badly hurt, costing them the balance of the NHL season. I think about Hasek and the Senators as an example.

Have a great day everyone! Cheers, CJ

• Habfan10912 says:

Happy Birthday CJ. There were many a day I was glad to get back to work after ganging with the kids so I could get some rest. Still the best years if your life until your life gets further blessed with Grandchildren. Right Mavidf?

I’m so excited to see Price in the Olympics. His star will shine I have no doubt.
      CHeers.

Charles Hamelin with a Gold in Mens Short track.

This guy has been a stud for Canada at multiple Olympics, another impressive family of athletes.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning bud. Got up early to watch the US vs Switzerland Women’s Hockey game. Should have stayed in bed.

I guess like every other year its a two team tournament, eh? Sadly the rest of the world seems to not be able to bridge the huge gap that exsist among the women. I’ve seen Womens college teams who would have beaten Switzerland.

Yah the women’s hockey is a bit of a head scratcher for me. I enjoy watching the US vs. Canada games, but there is still such a dropoff to the rest of the countries.

By the way, I think your ladies team will beat ours for the Gold, they just looked better to me when watchng some of their games over the past few months.

• Habfan10912 says:

They’ve played multiple exhibition games. Seems they were fairly close to a split. It’s a toss up I think but it should be fun and great on the ladies for getting some recognition playing the game at such a high level.

• scotland says:

and i have seen boys peewee teams that would beat womens team canada.

there are not enough teams for this sport to even be at the games. glaringly obvious every year since 98.

just because more young girls play hockey……. does not mean more young women are. Most lose interest in playing quite young.

haley wickenhiese this morn: “its good to see the other teams taking it up to another level at every olympics” yea sure.

40. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning friends. Those of us old East Coasters are long ago in our warm beds when such great post by folks like UCE and HiS get posted. Last night is a great example of missing out on some great dialogue.

Chris – Loved loved loved your hand on account on the Bulldogs. We’re often subjected to opinions from bloggers who haven’t even seen the little Habs play live but still are not short on opinion. Having one of our own respected HIO experts giving his scouting report is just great. Thanks for taking the time and sharing that with all of us. Great job!

An oh yeah, Habsfan7 thanks for your take as well. CHeers.

UCE. Your post read like poetry. Sometimes they’re over my head a bit (OK, over my head by a lot) but I love them just the same. I loved your post concerning the Canucks last night. Here in the East and even more so being on the East in the States, the information we get about the West coast teams is pretty sparse. Thanks for filling in some of the blanks.

CHeers.

41. rhino514 says:

Yeah, Andrighetto seems interesting. That was a good pick.
    He is talented and the only forward we have who is close to being nhl ready. Unfortunately, as is mentioned here on a daily basis, we don´t really have room for another small player, though. Too bad. I hope if he leaves the organization, that we get something good for him.

• Marc10 says:

People forget about Hudon. He’s another sub six footer with talent. I suspect he’s our best prospect provided he stays healthy. By the time these kids roll around, we’ll have a very different team. They are still a few years away.

• third generation haber says:

I’m thinking, in terms of forwards, our best all around prospect (outside of the NHL) is Jacob De LaRose. He’s big, talented, physical, good skater, and is already playing well in a men’s league. Also, he hasn’t filled-out yet.

j.p. murray

42. 21.273 says:

team needs moar toughness. why don’t they finally call up Alex Henry?

43. Habitant in Surrey says:

…here’s some out-takes from a Micheal Grange article on sportsnet.com, titled ‘Why isn’t Canada More Dominant In Hockey ?’; http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/why-isnt-canada-more-dominant-in-hockey/

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Grange: “…Canadian hockey has a serious problem: We care too much, and all that passion is holding us back.

On paper, the Canadian men’s program will be competing in these Games as underdogs, standing just fifth in the IIHF rankings. The last gold medal Canada has won internationally was our overtime squeaker over the U.S. in Vancouver in 2010.

The standard response is that the rest of the world has caught up to us…”

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Grange; “…Our biggest competition, however, is incredulous. “If Canada did things right, we and other European countries wouldn’t have a chance,” Tommy Boustedt, director of hockey development for the Swedish Ice Hockey Association, told me. “If we beat Canada in an international game, we ourselves almost don’t understand how that is possible.”

It’s possible in part because of the scale of the game in Canada, which feeds inertia rather than change, and a survival-of-the-fittest mindset that passes for development.

Early this century, Sweden–the top-ranked hockey country in the world–was faced with a decade of poor international results. They responded in 2003 with an all-hands-on-deck hockey summit that came up with 100 recommendations to improve their development system. From impetus to execution it took 18 months, and it was easier to execute because it just didn’t matter that much to the average person. But imagine what would happen here if we decided to try something radical, such as delaying competitive hockey until age 12 like they do in many European countries.

“If you come up with ideas in Canada there will be so many people that will want in on the discussion and it’s going to be on TV,” says Boustedt. “It’s tough to do things in Canada because hockey’s such a big deal…”

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Grange; “…Our love of hockey is expressed in Canada’s world-leading 2,631 indoor rinks, but also in the 625,152 players using them. Sweden has only 352 indoor rinks and 64,214 players. That’s about 23 percent fewer bodies scrambling for ice time, on a proportionate basis.

The lack of demand relative to the supply is one reason a promising 10-year-old Swede can pursue hockey for the price of about $1,000 dollars annually. It costs $10,000 and up in Canada, a barrier to entry that is perhaps the greatest challenge hockey faces in the cradle of the game. The great number of players here means there are always enough families willing to shape their lives and scrape their wallets so kids in grade school can play an NHL-type schedule, but ignored are those who fall away, start late or never bother to lace them up in the first place.

In Sweden, elite hockey players are a precious resource that can’t be wasted, so they’re nurtured with an emphasis on affordability and skill development. In Canada, it’s a race to be drafted into the cutthroat ranks of junior hockey at age 15. You can almost hear Boustedt shake his head over the phone: “You miss all the late bloomers,” he says. “Early puberty is no skill.”

There is no doubt Canadian hockey churns out amazing players, and we’ll see them in Sochi in the form of Crosby, Toews and Getzlaf. It’s a lineup built for gold. But an Olympic medal isn’t proof we’re doing the best we can to develop talent, just that we have so many players, we can cover up our mistakes.

“In Sweden, we are always afraid you will step outside the box,” says Boustedt. “Because the day Canada steps outside the box, you will be unbeatable on all levels, all day, every year.”

• JUST ME says:

Very interresting subject and comments.
            I think that Canada is doomed and has to work harder and harder to remain the best in it`s trade. The canadian flag has been on a target for ages and now some countries are reaching the bullseye.

I do agree that to evolve Canada will have to simplify the developing machine at it`s simplest form and reinvent the fun aspect in the game. The draft process is a crazy sprint on wich many hurdles are built that stop most of the creative flow of the best of them. We tend to explain that through the law of the jungle but how many skilled individuals just do not get the chance and the opportunities they should have ?

Ice time, costs, competition, expectations and misplaced pride are just some of the aspects that complicate things too much in Canada .We must go back outside on the rink at the park and start from scratch.

I do not know though whether Canada will one day need to rethink everything and change it`s ways. It always manages to get results and new promissing athletes although the competition is clearly catching up.

• scarboro_habitant says:

the problem with hockey canada is they pick a bunch of first line players who only know how to play offense for the most part, dont know how to kill penalties and/or never have to on their club teams. so forwards who arent used to playing 3rd-4th line roles and half the forwards playing out of position isnt going to get it done. all that on an olympic size rink isnt going to help either. our team looks good but after looking at the rosters, USA has the most complete team IMO.

• plum says:

Yeah they should have picked more rob zamuner type players

• Phil C says:

They have some decent penalty killers and defensive players among the forwards. Bergeron and Toews are Selke winners and good penalty killers. Getzlaf is an excellent two-way centre who can kill penalties. Carter and St. Louis can also kill penalties. There are probably others I can’t think of right now.

One of the reasons players like Nash were selected over other more productive players is that he showed last Olympics that he is capable of playing a bottom six defensive/checking role if asked. When you leave a player like Giroux off the team, it is usually for reasons like that.

44. The Jackal says:

Lots of talk about our boy Andrighetto. I remember when we drafted him people were bitching about his size (what’s new?). Just goes to show, take things with a grain of salt. Some prospects will make it and some won’t, would we rather have a big guy that can’t play or Andrighetto? At the very least, he is a valuable asset. I can see him being an offensive contributor b

45. CharlieH24 says:

Hello all, indulge me for a second…

I am trying to remember a specific play in recent Habs history within the past 7-8 years probably. I remember it either being a playoff series, or a very important game. One of our players (might have been a Ruskie of ours) had the puck in the offensive zone, and hurt his hand somehow. He then threw his glove off, clutched his hand, while coughing up the puck. The other team (I can’t even remember the opponent!!!) proceeded to score a deciding goal on the rush that changed the momentum of the game/series/what have you.

I know I am being extremely vague, but that is all I remember. Does this game ring a bell for anyone???

46. Sportfan says:

Look at all the St Louis Olympians, J-Bo looks like an old man compared to the rest :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

47. Alex says:

Yesterday evening I attended the Hamilton vs. Binghamton in Ottawa. I have to say I was really impressed with Tinordi, he looked great out there. He threw a lot of hits and one very memorable hit in the third. The game seemed a lot more physical than what I was used to seeing from the Habs. I also really liked Sven Andrighetto, he looked pretty sharp out there.

Louis Leblanc didn’t impress me, he was rather unnoticeable unfortunately.

Great game to watch, though. Came back from 3-0 and won 5-4 in OT…Nice to rub it in the face of my friends who were Sens fans!

48. SUMO says:

Hello Habitant in Surrey. Just curious what’s the mood like in Vancouver these days with the Canucks mired in a 7 game losing streak? Are the fans placing the blame on Torts or GM Gillis? I’ve always felt Gillis was in over his head and think he may be the type of GM to make a panic trade. (ie trading a prospect for immediate help.)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…ALL of the above ! :)

• SUMO says:

LOL. Seriously, any chance of Bergevin getting Bo Horvat or Hunter Shinkaruk out of Gillis?

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…a little more seriously, I think the fans and media out here are frustrated from only recently being good enough to be Stanley Cup finalists to seeing their core almost approaching their best before dates, including the Sedins

…if I was a Canuck fan I would be frustrated with everyone from Francesco Aquilini, the owner, whom hired Gillis and fellow-paesano Torts

…I thought Dave Nonis was a capable GM that maybe not as impulsive as Burke knew the Canucks organization and it’s needs inside-out

…I’m not sure if Canucks fans are frustrated enough to want Burke back, but he drafting the Sedins was what gave the Canucks several years of being a contender

• Un Canadien errant says:

The fans were resigned that the Canucks were no longer a power or likely contender, they thought their window was closing. They weren’t aware that it had already slammed shut.

Mike Gillis is definitely the one being fingered, since he’s overseen the Sack of Rome. I still blame him and the previous régimes for never getting a proper right winger to help out the Sedin brothers. John Tortorella doesn’t have many fans, but they grumble and are ready to give him more time.

My friend was over on Thursday to watch the Canadiens play the Canucks. He always used to blame Alain Vigneault for their problems. I asked him point-blank if he regretted that he was, finally, fired this summer. He grumbled and changed the subject.

As far as trading picks and prospects, the Canucks won’t do that, they’re not after rentals anymore. There’s blood in the water, lots of teams calling about Kevin Bieksa and Ryan Kesler, but if these guys move it will be for youngsters and draft picks, not the other way around.

The thing is, the Canucks don’t really have prospects, beyond their most recent first-rounders. You ask a Canucks fan about who they have coming up in their system, and they know Brendan Gaunce, Bo Horvat and Hunter Shinkaruk, but that’s it. All the others are long shots and no-hopers. When we talk about the Canadiens, we think about Sebastian Collberg and Dalton Thrower and Magnus Nygren, how these guys fit in medium and long-term. The Canucks don’t have any of those guys, even when you’re listening to their call-in shows or reading posts on social media.

49. Habitant in Surrey says:

@CJ

…CJ, My Son and I sat directly behind the Bulldogs’ bench in the first of Their last 2 games played in Abbotsford, BC (Jan 31st)

…now, my observation and opinion is based on the one and only game I have watched of the Bulldogs this year, whether in person or on TV …so take it for what it is worth

…the game was a birthday present for Quent, and an opportunity for Him to meet Frank Mahovolich, as well for Him to see live those on the Bulldogs He follows online via box scores

…for Myself it was a chance to see in person whether Our Habs have any emerging talent besides the known quantity I already had for Tinordi, and what I thought I had for Louis Leblanc

…Pateryn and Andrighetto were also My focus

…that Friday night the Bulldogs were mauled 6-0 …then Saturday night (which We did not attend) the bulldogs were again outclassed 4-1

…there were only 2 Bulldogs that stood-out, Tinordi by a wide mile, for His ‘presence’, size, skating, defensive/offensive package …I think very certainly that Tinordi should be with the Habs at this time in place of a Boullion

…I am also tempted to say Tinordi should replace Murray as well, as Tinordi is immensely more mobile than Murray as well as being a ‘physical presence’ …but, I must agree with the Murray-lovers that Murray is the much physically stronger of the two at this time …so, I understand why Therrien may be reticent to sit Murray as We get closer to the hard-ball playoffs

…but, at least, I believe, Tinordi should be called up in time for the playoffs to replace Boullion

…Pateryn surprised Me with His wheels and offensive game …which I believe, once He learns confidence, He will be a very heady, mobile D-man with a physical edge

…Pateryn, though, for someone purported to be 6′-2″ and 220 pounds does not look as imposing physically in-person as I thought He would be

…considering We have other defensive/offensive specimens in the system (Thrower, Dietz, Ellis, the Swede, and others) I think Pateryn will at some point be part of a trade down the road

…Andighetto was invisible,both offensively and without the puck for the whole game …He completely did nothing that night

…the only time I noticed Dumont was when in the third period, to inspire His Team, He fought a much larger Heat player …a battle He lost demonstratively

…Louis Leblanc looked like a shy little boy, both on the bench and the ice …He sat in front of Us with His head-down looking at His skate laces often on the bench …He looks burned-out and deflated

…with all the development specialists that Bergevin has purportedly assembled towards developing Our prospects both physically and intellectually, if Louis Leblanc is an example of Our new development capacity. I am deeply disappointed

…Tokarski allowed 6 goals …His Team in front of Him were similar to the Habs abandonment of Carey Price too often this season …yet, Tokarski looked small for an NHL goalie, and did not look good

…there were some new names I had not known that were recently added to the Team,like Owen, whom looked very mediocre

…so on that very small sample size, I think Tinordi and Pateryn were the only 2 Bulldogs to have any immediate NHL potential

…the only offensive talent with NHL potential belonged to the Heat (Calgary Flames) …Granlund, Jones, and Knight

• Bripro says:

“…if Louis Leblanc is an example of Our new development capacity…”
      You have to remember, Chris, that he was not a current management selection. The results of MB’s picks will take a year or more before we know how astute the program really is.

I think it’s unfair to judge them negatively, based on the short time they’ve been at the helm.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…whether or not Leblanc was drafted by Bergevin, He is still part of the Habs assets that is supposed to be nurtured

…Louis Leblanc and Magnus Nygren leaves Me uncertain

• CJ says:

Thank you very much for sharing. As noted, my sample size is very small. I defer to your first hand account. Looks like, based on your review and feedback, in addition to feedback from other’s who watched this afternoon’s game and we start to see the clouds part.

Regarding Tinordi, I have every confidence that he could replace Murray. I think the management team is protecting him and when he comes up again, much like Beaulieu, it will be to stay. This might take place as soon as this month, or it might be next season. Based on Murray’s play recently, there isn’t a need to rush.

Leblanc. Not much left to say. Your assessment aligns very closely with my feeling, which is to say that I just don’t see a future within this organization. He does not have the talent to play on the top two lines, and doesn’t have the speed, size and physical presence to be an effective bottom six player. I might be wrong, but if we could move him it might be in all parties best interest.

Again, thank you kindly for sharing. Cheers, CJ

• Un Canadien errant says:

Your comments about Louis Leblanc, and what we’ve learned in the last few years, make me wonder whether Louis has the right temperament for hockey. Is a Harvard man too introspective and over-analytical? I know there are a few Ivy Leaguers in the NHL, but the incident of the man suing a U.S. police department for discrimination for not hiring him due to overly high I.Q. scores springs to mind.

Out of a few incidents, the one that sticks for me is how the Canadiens tried to convince Louis last year to embrace a checking third-line role, which he resisted. That’s not quite the ‘can do-yes coach’ attitude that endears Ryan White, Gabriel Dumont or Dustin Brown to their superiors.

The good news about this, if we’re trying to find a silver lining, is that though Louis Leblanc is eligible for waivers next season, with his poor showing this year he’ll probably sail through next fall. He’d have another season to get it together and try to earn a spot.

That’s if the Canadiens decide to qualify him. As a former first-rounder, Louis is marginally more expensive to qualify than a Joonas Naattinen, for example, if they’re both going to fill the same role. They may also not want to spend a contract slot on him, and decide to cut bait. As many posters point out, he wasn’t drafted by the current administration, so there’s no loyalty or inclination to CYA there.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…if I was Bergevin, because Louis is a French-Canadian, I would find a slot for Louis in the system over a Naattinen

…Louis was an NHL calibre Player for Us at one point …so the talent is buried under whatever is clouding His confidence and will at this time

…I would allocate every psychological and physical resources in the Organization to help Louis Leblanc find Himself before releasing Him

…I personally would not trade or release Him …I would tell Him We still believe in You, and commit another season for Him to find Himself

• DipsyDoodler says:

A lot of Ivy Leaguers go to Wall St. or into US politics, which require far more of a killer instinct than hockey.

• NCRhabsfan says:

Yes, but how much of this is due to the Habs complete inability to develop first or second line talent? Really, name a Habs product that has survived their player development system and become a top six forward. And before you say Max Pac, remember he did it in spite of not because of Habs coaches. This is a system that would have turned Wayne Gretesky and Sidney Crosby into fourth line forwards. The two Gallys are only playing great with the Habs because e their so called development people were’t given the chance to turn them into losers. There are a lot of guys out there eating pay cheques from the Habs that haven’t done their jobs in YEARS!!!! I think some major reorganization to their developmental staff is in order.

I actually just read the story about the attempted hijacking to go to sochi. I wonder if turkish authorities inquired why he was wearing a Habs jersey. Canoe also states that it is a counterfeit jersey (no surprise seeing he’s from Kharkov) so perhaps Habs can sue him too.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Kharkov isnt as poor as you think. HUGE mining industry there

• Timo says:

I didn’t mean poor. I just know that a lot of counterfeit stuff is produced or goes through Ukraine… remember reading/watching a few reports a few years back… perhaps things have changed since then. I have nothing against counterfeit – it’s a good alternative to paying $120 for an NHL jersey.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Went to the market back home there 3 months ago. You are correct, plenty of counterfitted stuff (other worse stuff as well) Misunderstood your post :)

• Mattyleg says:

Hey Uke,
        I lived in Poland for 2 years, and visited Ukraine in summer of 2005. Passed through Lviv, and went down to Crimea via Odessa.

Beautiful place. A bit strange to see statues of Lenin in all the towns and villages, though. Were I to ever go again, I would stay in one place longer; did a bit too much travelling and not enough actual chilling.

The women were out. of. this. world. I hear they travel from elswhere in Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, etc. to hit the beaches there.

There was no room on the trains back from Odessa, so I had to bribe a conductor to get on. He gave me a free beer, though, bless his heart.

You ever get down that way?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Great stuff!! I was just in Odessa 3 months ago today! Its absolutely beautiful at the start of the winter however, must be carefull espcially if you go to the soccer games down there (I supported the away club and lets just say things got a little rough) Statues of Lenin you probaley wont find anymore espcially with the protests at least west of the Dnipro river. Still can’t forgive myself for leaving before the protests, would have loved to join in and fight to become a stable country!! Glad Ukraine treated you well :)

51. commandant says:

Another barrier falls as the NFL is set to welcome its first openly gay player.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

52. Bripro says:

Just goes to prove, anything can happen.
    And there’s no such thing as a sure thing.

Erik Guay, a medal hopefull, finished 10th.
    I’m disappointed for him.

53. jimmy shaker says:

Not sure if mentioned, but down here in windsor, vail capped off a feverish comeback for the spitfires with the game winner…..our other star in the making josh ho-sang had 6 points to boot……also was checking out PK’s twitter site, and that guy just loves life. He would be great to hangout with for a day or even a week. Nothing but great pics.

Shaker out!

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

We may have something in this Brady Vail kid, eh? 6’1″ and he’ll play at 205 maybe 210 one day. Hard worker. He should be in Hamilton next year, can’t wait to watch him with the dogs. Thanks for the update.

24 cups and counting….

• sirs81 says:

Glad to see there are Hab fans in Windsor… Feels like there are too few of us..

54. UKRAINIANhab says:

I know at least 10 hab fans back home in Lviv, Ukraine

Believe it or not.

55. HABSFAN7 says:

Went to the Marlies v Bulldogs game today. It was a very entertaining game and the good guys won. Beaulieu looked fantastic out there today. He’s just oozing with confidence and his skating is superb. Tinordi looked good too, strong in the corners and scored a sweet goal to tie the game 1-1. Today was the first time I seem Pateryn and I can’t saying was too impressed. He just didn’t stand out in comparison to Tinordi and Beaulieu. Andrighetto was a pleasant surprise and had a sweet goal splitting the D unassisted.
    Finally, I played close attention to Leblanc and I honestly think his time is up. If he can’t light it up in the AHL I’m not sure what he thinks he will ever do in the NHL.
    Overall, the Bulldogs played well, had more shots on net and killed off quite a few penalties including a 5 min major and a 5 on 3.

• CJ says:

Thank you for sharing. I always value first hand accounts. I watched on tv, but came away with the same impressions. Cheers, CJ

• AssInTOheartInTheForum says:

Watched the game on the TV. I have to agree with you. Beaulieu seems to be so far above the competition in the AHL. I don’t know if his stint with the big team has instilled a degree of confidence it didn’t have before, but this guy is ready.
      Tinordi too seems to have found the confidence to jump into the attack when he isn’t being a rock back in the defensive end. Another what are we waiting for case.
      Andrighetto’s goal where he delivered a Bobby Orr end-to-end rush was fantastic.

56. Habitant in Surrey says:

…a true Habs Fans always keep their eyes open for any nugget of ‘Habs news’

…beyond knowing Beaulieu was sent down to beautiful downtown Hamilton (Bermuda ?) to keep His irons warm, there is today’s CNN headline photo of a crazed/deeply inebriated Ukrainian rushing into the pilot cabin of a flight to Turkey demanding the plane be diverted to Sochi

…the idiot is wearing a Habs sweater whilst doing it

…likely most of those that will see the photo on front pages and on the Internet around the World will have zero idea what ??? that CH represents.

…the crazy thing about this whacked-out World is this event and international media exposure will inevitably result in a huge bump in the number of Habs Fans

…I anticipate some new members to Our esteemed Commentariat in the near future

…let’s be ready to warmly receive a Habitant In Kiev or a Habitant In Ankara to Our Habby bosoms in the near future

…keep in mind the Guy did not wear a Weeds’ sweater …that should tell Us something :)

57. 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Jeez, it’s like picking wings off flies here sometimes. There is no Centre controversy, there is no problem with Eller. He is off a bit but will pick it up and sometime soon, carry the team.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

58. habs-hampton says:

What are the rules around going to the AHL for the break. If Bournival is healthy, could he go down?

59. CJ says:

Just finished watching a quick hit version of the Bulldogs Marlies game. Firstly, I haven’t watched as many Bulldogs games this year, so my sample size is very small. I didn’t think Pateryn was great, but was impressed with Tinordi. The big man has the size and skill to be a factor down the road. I don’t like placing too much stock in a single game, but I saw enough to say I like the kid’s game and look forward to seeing him patrol the Habs blue line for years to come.

Sven Andrighetto is a great prospect. He is not without flaws, but there is a ton of real talent here. Given the right linemates, support and coaching, this kid could succeed at the NHL level. Sounds like others have taken notice, if there is any truth to the rumours that the Av’s asked for him in a deal for Jamie McGinn.

I like Tokarski. I have liked him since the WJC in Ottawa. He is a fighter who doesn’t give up on a play, even if he is clearly beaten. I think we did very well to get him for Dejardins. That said, he looks small in the net. This is probably the result of watching Price, but some goalies just look much bigger then others.

Lastly, Dumont played well, but I just don’t see a fit going forward. Leblanc looked disinterested for long stretches of time. It just seems like he doesn’t have the killer instinct. I wish he had Dumont’s drive. Many are probably going to hate this, but I’d move both while they still hold value. Maybe I’m missing something, but I’d put both assets on the table.

• Mattyleg says:

Sounds, from the noise on here, that Tiny has got his schlitz together. There was grumbling a while back about him not being up to the AHL level, but it would seem that he may have found his game.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• CJ says:

He had a terrific start to the preseason. He came out of the gate very strong. This earned him a place on the roster to start the season. Immediately, he struggled. He kept struggling upon return to Hamilton. It’s only since Christmas that his game has started to really improve. His play has gotten significantly better these past few weeks. He, not Pateryn, should be the next Bulldog defencemen to get the call.

• scarboro_habitant says:

he looked good. seems like NB 40 has arrived though.

• Sportfan says:

Tokarski to be Prices back up in a season or two?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• CJ says:

Potentially. Mike Condon has also had a very good first season, albeit in the ECHL.

The goaltending depth, once an organizational weakness, is quickly on the rise.

• ConcussionLikeSymptoms says:

Tokarski for Desjardins was an absolute steal
      Not only is Dustin younger but already more talented
      Looking forward to the Fucale V Tokarski debates down the road (aka Price V Halak 2.0)
      Habs just went from bare cupboards in the goalie department to 2 potential NHL starters in under a year
      Well played MB, well played