Habs select McCarron in first round, Rosèmere native Fucale in second

The Canadiens added size with their first-round pick at the NHL draft in New Jersey, selecting 6-foot-5, 228-pound forward Michael McCarron, who was ranked 35th by Central Scouting among North American skaters.

The Habs also nabbed top-ranked North American goalie prospect Zachary Fucale, who many expected would go in the first round. A Rosemère native who grew up a Canadiens’ fan, the 6-foot-1 Fucale backstopped the Halifax Mooseheads this season as they won the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League championship and Memorial Cup.

The Canadiens chose Fucale 36th overall. You can listen to what the 18-year-old goaltender said to reporters here.

Mooseheads’ coach Dominique Ducharme described Fucale earlier this month as a “super kid” with great ability.

“He’s really intelligent, calm, confident,” Ducharme told The Gazette.

“He’s another one that really enjoys being on the ice. He’s working hard. And he’s got great ability. He’s pretty good athletically, but technically also. Put all that together with a great mindset. He knows how to win a game.”

“If there’s one thing that makes him even better, it’s his hockey sense,” Ducharme said. “And sometimes we don’t talk about hockey sense for a goalie that much. But the way he reads the play, the way he sees it coming, that helps him a lot . . . to be in a good position.”

The Habs chose Michigan native McCarron, who is with the U.S. under-18 development team, 25th overall at the draft, which was held at the Prudential Center in Newark. In 59 games this season, McCarron posted 16-21-37 totals and led the U.S. development team with 182 penalty minutes.

“I never thought I was going to go this high,” McCarron told TSN. “Even today I didn’t think I was going to go this high. It’s the biggest surprise to me. I’m so excited.”

“Obviously we like the size, the grit and the character,” Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said of McCarron on TSN. “Mike has a lot of character and the way he’s been used we know he has hockey sense and he has grit. And it’s something that we need to build moving forward with his size.”

You can hear more of what McCarron had to say to reporters here (The first question is at 14 seconds) and here.

The Canadiens used their 34th overall pick to select 6-foot-2 Swedish centreman Jacob de la Rose. European Central Scouting placed him seventh among European skaters in their final rankings. You can hear what de la Rose had to say here.

The Habs also looked to Europe with their 55th pick overall, selecting Finnish forward Artturi Lehkonen. In the scouting report on NHL.com, Goran Stubb, NHL Director of European Scouting, said of the 5-foot-9, 163-pound Lehkonen:”He has very quick feet and smooth hands, plays a solid two-way game, and uses his speed and hockey sense to his advantage. He’s full of surprises in the offensive zone, can score the big goals and accelerates quickly, especially when in possession of the puck. While he’s not very big or strong, he’s still a first-round talent.”

The Canadiens selected Connor Crisp, a 6-foot-3, 225-pound forward in the Ontario Hockey League, with their 71st overall pick. Crisp scored 22 goals and picked up 14 assists in 63 games this past season with the Erie Otters.

With their 86th overall pick, the Habs chose forward Sven Andrighetto from the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies. Andrighetto put up 98 points this season (31 goals, 67 assists) in 53 games. The team’s next pick was Martin Reway from the Gatineau Olympiques in the fourth-round (116th overall.) Both are 5-foot-9 wingers.

Jérémy Grégoire, a 6-foot, 188-pound centreman with the Baie Comeau Drakkar in the QMJHL, was the Habs’ sixth-round pick (176th overall) He was ranked 79th among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting.

The Canadiens went into the draft Sunday with nine picks, six of them in the first three rounds. The Habs traded their seventh-round pick to Florida for the Panthers’ seventh-round pick at next year’s draft.

You can listen to what Bergevin told reporters here:

And you can listen to what Trevor Timmins, the Canadiens’ director of amateur scouting, said to the media here:

More coverage at montrealgazette.com/nhldraft

Canadiens go big with first-r0und pick, by Pat Hickey

Habs tried to move up to top 10 pick, The Canadian Press

Habs’ interest in Lecavalier is “very high,” Bergevin says, by Pat Hickey

QMJHL scores at NHL draft, by Pat Hickey

Three former Lac St. Louis Lions selected, montrealgazette.com/westisland

Martin Brodeur drafts his son in seventh round for Devils, NHL.com

(Photo by Bill Kostroun/The Associated Press)

2,425 Comments

1. habs1992 says:

WOW, Dallas was the front runner, WELCOME TO MONTREAL VINNY! WHOOOOOOOOO

I support Carey Price

2. Maritime Ron says:

Danny Kristo traded to NYR for Christian Thomas
    —————
    Smurf tradition? Check.
    No frostbite feet? Check.
    Conclusion: Sather has pictures and Habs ready for remake Snow Ryan White and the 7 dwarfs.

3. munch17 says:

Kristo and Thomas both seem to be small skill players.
    Thomas has produced at least at the pro level – a bit like Gallagher.
    It’s tough for us fans – we follow a guys progression for years and look forward to seeing him play and – poof – he’s gone.

Our right wingers – Gionta – Gallagher – ? Thomas .
    Hmmmm there’s a pattern..

4. savethepuck says:

Minutes ago.

“@aaronward_nhl: Sources saying Dallas Stars no longer believe they are in contention for Lecavalier. #TSN

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

5. HabFab says:

Letang contract finalized.

6. jedimyrmidon says:

I got it!

They’re trying to find another Gallagher-type player: small, pretty fast skater, goal scorer, gritty and feisty!

I mean, they also drafted Andrighetto and Reway who are in the same mold.

7. HabFab says:

Hold on….

Darren Dreger – Further to @aaronward_nhl report on Lecavalier, I have also been told by a Stars source, Lecavalier has eliminated Dallas from contention.

8. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Next trade: DD for Nathan Gerbe…

9. habstrinifan says:

This is one of the funnest post draft days in years. Exciting!

Everyone here still in love with Bergevin? He still can do no wrong?

11. HabFab says:

Maybe the kid is NHL ready plus 2 years younger then Kristo to boot!

I know, stretching but has to be something positive here.

12. Habhopeful says:

seems like a redundant trade but probably a better character or no worry about off ice issues with Thomas than there was with Kristo

13. The Dude says:

I would love it if Vincent Lecavalier signs with Les Canadiens…just to read all the angry Anglo extremest posts”just as stupid as Franco extremest!’. And with the extremest who tried to blow up the Canada Day celebrations here on Vancouver Island with 5 pressure cooker bombs FU2!

14. HabFanSince72 says:

Son of Steve Thomas.

15. Habhopeful says:

Christian Thomas seems to be the same kind of player as Danny Kristo by reading around.

Undersized, good hands, fast.

Rangers fans seem to be having the same reaction about losing Thomas and were expecting him to make the roster next year.

16. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

MB continuing the tradition of getting robbed by Sather…LOL

Actually have no clue if trade is good but why the hell trade small for small??? Geez…

17. HabsinHam says:

How about a Price for Luongo swap?
    Price buys his groceries from a local BC grocer and Luongo finishes his career at home.
    Thoughts?

18. Habhopeful says:

Danny kristo traded to NYR for Christian Thomas??

• habstrinifan says:

What can I say but WOW! So many questions unanswered.

Edit: No McDonagh comparisons allowed till September.

• johnnylarue says:

I’ll give MB the benefit of the doubt and assume Kristo was deemed an incorrigible/uncoachable problem child/jackass.

In the meantime, I guess I’ll try to figure out what’s so great about Christian Thomas…

19. Habilis says:

Habs traded Kristo to the Rangers for Christian Thomas.

Great! So who the (expletive) is Christian Thomas?

20. Stevie.Ray says:

Danny Kristo traded to the Rangers for Christian Thomas.

I never really liked Kristo.

21. Bripro says:

OK, I’ll bite.

Having Vincent Lecavalier here would be a distraction.
    Everyone knows it. He surely does.
    Every time the Lightning came to play, he’d have a microphone (or several) in his face. And even back in Tampa during the Christmas season travels of the Habs, he’d have to deal with a plethora of reporters from Montreal, on their turf.
    One would have to believe that he’ll go where his family wants to go, where he expects to make more money, and where there’s a sane environment. And that’s not the stove burner that is the Habs world.

No question, at one time, he was among the elite of the NHL.
    But I don’t think so anymore. And over paying just to have a player that may or may not bring a great deal to the table is too risky.
    At least if I was a GM, that’s how I would approach it.

But thank goodness I’m one of few non-GMs in Montreal.

22. HabFab says:

Hab news;

Renaud Lavoie – Canadiens did not qualified D Yannick Weber. He’ll be UFA on July 5th.

• johnnylarue says:

I’m actually glad for him. I hope another team picks him up–he deserves a better look than he ever got with the Habs.

• New says:

I hope so too. The kid never complained and appeared to wait for a chance. Maybe now he’ll get one.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Actually, didn’t he have a game where he groused that he was in the press box and he was better than the guys on the ice? Last season or the one before that?

• habstrinifan says:

He did it twice. Last season and this season.. begging for a trade. But cant blame the guy really.

• New says:

In that case…Naw I still wish him good luck. It wasn’t too long ago a lot of people wanted him in the lineup. I guess things change.

• Bripro says:

Another Marc Streit?

• habstrinifan says:

Kind of a give away. Not well managed at all.

• Timo says:

Adieu. One swiss down one to go.

• savethepuck says:

Not really any surprise there. I’m sure he’s been offered in trade discussions for a while now with no takers.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• neumann103 says:

Very mixed feelings about this one. He was badly mismanaged by the Habs but I think he is good enough to play in the NHL. Hope he gets a shot with another team but giving up on an asset like that makes me queasy.

“Et le but!”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not sure about mismanaged, I’d lean more towards he didn’t have the right opportunity. Think of him as the reverse Torey Krug, the undersized, offensive d-man who is trying to crack the roster of a team already loaded with those guys. If we’d had nothing but Hal Gills and Josh Gorges, he would have played more.

Hate losing the asset too.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not great. I was hoping they could flip his rights at the draft for a lower round pick. Say one spot above Vancouver in the fifth round…

23. Propwash says:

Vinny could still be a useful player for the Habs, if they do sign him, I hope they don’t break the bank.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

24. habstrinifan says:

Man when Vinny signs in Mtl I’m making an “I told you so HIO tour” And I’ll be talking smack!

Of course I will allow myself to be the butt of your “where’s Vinny jokes” if he doesn’t.

25. habs1992 says:

So when is Vinny going to sign? I’ve been waiting all day for it.

I support Carey Price

26. Bripro says:

Dave Stubbs on an honest observation:

Petteri Nokelainen is 17 letters ” they never land any big names … they always fail….”

Then: “I’m kidding about the Nokelainen crack. But it’s hilarious watching the frothing at the mouths of #Habs fans… ALWAYS”

Astute!

27. HabFab says:

Aaron Palushaj not qualified, becomes a UFA

28. Phil C says:

Anyone know what happened with Jeff Shultz in Washington? He seemed pretty solid a few years ago, but fell down the depth chart last year, now he is being bought out. Could he be a fit in Montreal, or is he too slow?

29. twilighthours says:

This has got to be the most commented thread ever, no?

• johnnylarue says:

I know we cracked the 2000 mark at least once during the playoffs, and that would have been in a shorter period of time…

But this is certainly close.

• florida habs says:

I was just gonna ask that question, does anyone know the record?

• Lafleurguy says:

I’m a newbie, but the live game blog featuring the shootout and the Budaj-wall and Gallagher’s winner as the 6th shooter had 2,560+.
        A lot of those posts went like this: “Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!” so in terms of actual comprehensible thoughts that thread beats this one! :-)

“May you live in interesting times.”

• savethepuck says:

What about July of 2010 when Halak was traded? Was there more than 1 thread then? Because I know it was very busy on here.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• HabFab says:

Was actually in a Conference across the street from the Bell Centre. The President of one of our Quebec companies came in and announced it saying “He hoped they knew the f… what they were doing!”

30. HabFab says:

Brennan Klak – Oilers do not qualify Theo Peckham, Colten Teubert, Alex Plante, all become UFAs

31. Sean Bonjovi says:

Born Apr 7 1979 — Laval, PQ
    [34 yrs. ago]
    Height 6.01 — Weight 205 — Shoots L

2009 – 2013 GP:292 G:80 A:90 Pts:172
    Per Game: G=0.274 Points=0.589

32. HabFab says:

Vinny still talking with Montreal according to this. Term and dollars an issue and reporter believes Vinny will end up in Dallas;

• 24 Cups says:

Vinny is just pulling a “Sundin” on the Habs.

• HabFab says:

Feels like it doesn’t it “sigh”

• ClutchNGrab says:

His agent probably told him, regardless who you will sign with, make sure Montreal is the runner up. That’s the smart thing to do. Then when you will give your first press conference say that this was the hardest decision of your life, and you hesitated until the last minutes, that you’re a little disappointed, but that’s the right thing to do for you, your career and your family.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Then five years from now, when nobody else wants you show up on RDS in the summer and talk about how you’d love to finish your career with the Canadiens.

• johnnylarue says:

Brunet’s argument is pretty sound. Dallas just makes more sense on all fronts, unless Vincent is feeling pressure from the family back home.

I agree with the comment below that said if he winds up with the Habs, it will be because he really wants to–and that can only be a good thing. But I really don’t see it happening.

• habstrinifan says:

I tried to click the link.. i got forbidden. Vinny’s blocking me.. he knows how persuasive I can be.

33. Bill says:

At five years and five million per, I don’t care if Vinny goes to Dallas or anywhere else … as long as it is not Montreal.

34. habs001 says:

Lets add Gill and Komisarek so along with Markov the Habs can set the record for giving up the most two on ones…

• florida habs says:

we need to get Hamrlk back so he can coach Markov on how to adjust his game from an offensive D-man to a safe, serviceable stay at home guy, then maybe we can get a few more years out if him.

35. habs1992 says:

Just imagine next year at opening night, and you hear the name Vincent Lecavilier, then the crowd roars VINNY VINNY VINNY. They should unretire 4, and give it to Vinny.

I support Carey Price

36. Phil C says:

I will be shocked if Vinnie gets less than $5M/year and 3 years. I will be even more shocked if it is the Habs who get him.

37. Un Canadien errant says:

Okay, let’s nip this rumour in the bud. Hal Gill didn’t say he didn’t want to play for Michel Therrien. At least, we can’t state that for certain. He’s not on the record as such.

This all started from a blurb from Dave Stubbs’ article. The quote:

“One prominent unrestricted free agent I’ve spoken with since regular-season’s end could be a nice fit in Montreal at a decent price and would fill a Habs need.

“But then I floated the name of Therrien among potential Canadiens coaches, a suggestion that drew 30 seconds of stone-cold silence. Finally:

“If that happens,” he said, “I’ve got 29 teams I can play for.”

Now, some sharp-minded HIO’istes deduced that it must have been Hal Gill who said that. That’s not a bad guess, but is just a guess nonetheless. Whoever the ‘prominent UFA’ is, we can’t say for certain.

38. Bripro says:

2,200 comments.
    Time for a new thread, no?

39. HabFab says:

Stubbs asking if the Habs have signed Mats Sundins yet??

40. HabFanSince72 says:

Now that we’ve solved all the Habs’ problems, did you know that food trucks are finally coming back to Montreal?

Here are the trucks and schedule:

Here is where they can be found:

I know Au Pied de Cochon has one. Hmmm… foie gras poutine.

• johnnylarue says:

Oh man!! Great news for you Montrealers.

• Bripro says:

There was a reunion of all the trucks at Lafontaine Park on the weekend.
      Amazing.
      The “La Queu de Cheval” truck served up quail sausage in a spicy sauce that would have cost a fortune at the restaurant, for $12.
      Melt in your mouth.
      Fine, they’re smaller portions, but the quality is amazing.
      And as their rep was telling, it’s great advertising.

• habstrinifan says:

Maybe that will sway Vinny. Florida had lousy food trucks (the heat) and so does Dallas (they have no culinary fame unless it’s on a hoof).

41. habstrinifan says:

Imagine Vinny sitting inhis room..remembering the days when he was a little boy and looking with eyes wide open at that glorious “C” embalzoned on that red shirt.
    That sort of emotional pull cant be checked off. I agree with UCE. Vinny’s coming HOME!

I am amazed at how this started as a minority of folks wanting Vinny (maybe) to where it is now. I may be reading the posts wrong but it does seem that HIO is full Vinny now.

• habs1992 says:

Ya to us it seems like a big deal, but things change when you finally make it to the NHL, its a business. None of us are NHL players, I just don’t think its a big deal as we make it out to be.

I support Carey Price

• HabFab says:

Now take a deep breath and put your pants back on. No sense in getting BB’s out of this. The fat lady hasn’t even cleared her throat yet.

• wjc says:

Now imagine him in a three piece suit, wanting to play in a warm climate. He is no longer a wide eyed little boy.

Many people will be disappointed, what will they learn, NOTHING!

Posters are the wide eyed little boys!

wjc

• johnnylarue says:

Trini, Lecavalier was a Red Wings fan as a kid. The “childhood fantasy” angle doesn’t really apply here, I’m afraid.

• JUST ME says:

The sentimental and almost romantic way of seeing the Habs for the players is long gone. As much as i would like to think like you nothing proves us that it is otherwise.

Seing the young Habs draftees this week end almost in tears (Fucale) cause he realized that he had been drafted by HIS team is nice to see but only caused by the fact that they are still naives.

I would really like to see Lecavalier in a Habs uniform but it will not happen. He will go where the money is that`s it , that`s all. For them hockey is a business and although they love the game ,sentiments have nothing to do with business.

The Habs are just not in a good spot to be the highest bidder this season. They are at a stage in between young players getting experience and veterans ending what can possibly be their last deal with the team . Next season would have been a totally different ball game …

42. Da Hema says:

I am surprised by the amount of support on HIO to sign Lecavalier. Setting aside the fact that his best days as a player, statistically speaking, are well behind him, and that even a mediocre team like Tampa Bay decided to get rid of him, how successful, really, have the Canadiens been by signing free agents? How has the organization truly benefitted from signing free agents? With the exception of Prust and perhaps Hall Gill, I do not see how free agent signings in general have made the Canadiens a better team. I for one cast my voice against signing Lecavalier.

• twilighthours says:

He’s a very tough, versatile player who would make us better. The only issue is the contract.

Aso, we had our best year in 20 years after we revamped our team with free agents

• Da Hema says:

The best season to which you refer yielded no Stanley Cup, and indeed may have set the organization back by diverting its administrative efforts away from drafting and developing players.

But let me ask: what role do you see Lecavalier playing on this current team?

• habstrinifan says:

Mind if I answer.. playing on a line with DD and Pacioretty and immediately making both more effective and productive and leaving Gallagher to be on a line with Pleks whick ugrades Pleks scoring urgency by leaps.

Better minds than mine have said that Vinny immediately becomes Mtl best forward. I agree with them.

And adding real on ice leadership and experience and maybe allowing the team to trade a Gionta or similar for D help as the season moves on.

• Da Hema says:

That could be one scenario. I remain, however, unconvinced that a player whose game has been in steady decline will suddenly restore his skills. The Gomez example seems relevant here.

• twilighthours says:

Just playing counterpoint to your whole “free agency is a waste of time” thing. Not saying I agree with free agency spending but we did have our best season – cup or no – after we splurged.

What role for vlc? Centre in the top 6, with plex likely dealt. I’d rather they keep plex and deal dd, but he would be harder to trade.

• Da Hema says:

You provided a possible role for Lecavalier. Yet I cannot be convinced relying on free agency to sustain a team is wise. Indeed, the fact the Canadiens are even considering signing Lecavalier is proof the organization is a long ways from respectability. If we look at elite teams, free agency for them is a way to fill a personnel need for an immediate purpose, e.g., to win the Cup. The Canadiens have used free agency simply to put players on the ice. In other words, the need for free agents for the Canadiens results from the organization’s lack of depth. I have no desire to see this team continue along this path. Lecavalier will assuredly not bring the Canadiens closer to elite status — indeed it is proof positive the team is in deeper trouble than we fans are aware.

• twilighthours says:

Hippo, I’m not really sure of the future of anything hockey-related. You are, though, so bully for ya.

If signing vlc gives us the depth to deal a C for a top-4 defenseman, then I’m all for it. I think we would be a better team, now and into the future.

• Da Hema says:

Twilight: my apologies if anything I wrote sounded like I was being a smarty-pants. I assure you that was not my intention.

• wjc says:

Then got rid of 80% of them.

wjc

• habs1992 says:

I didnt mind the Hamrlik deal.

I support Carey Price

• johnnylarue says:

Erik Cole was a great UFA signing–even better considering we were able to get rid of him before his production trailed off.

But in general I totally agree. Bergevin himself has said that the UFA market is not the way to build a winning team… but I guess that was before Montreal’s would-have-been “franchise player” of 10 years ago hit the market.

• Da Hema says:

The Cole signing was only good insofar as the Habs were lucky to dump him prior to his decline. If the Habs still had Cole, chances are very likely we would be lamenting his signing.

• wjc says:

How was he a franchise player, Tampa Bay just paid him millions of dollars to go away.

You said ‘great UFA signing’ and got rid of, in the same sentence.

wjc

• johnnylarue says:

Yes, Erik Cole was a UFA, we signed him, and he gave us a fantastic year of hockey. The contract he was given was deemed perfectly reasonable by at least one other GM (since fired!), such that we were able to trade him when he started to suck. It was a good signing.

I don’t think a ‘good UFA signing’ is necessarily contingent on locking a player in long-term, and having that player deliver excellent hockey for the duration of his contract. In an ideal world, sure, but signing a UFA player to a reasonable, tradeable contract–regardless of how long they actually stay with the club–can work too.

• HabFanSince72 says:

We signed a gazillion free agents in 2009. Made it to the ECF that year with those free agents leading the charge.

• Sportfan says:

If we signed him where the heck would guys like DD go? Man such an awful deal…

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Marc Bergevin is on the record as agreeing with you, that you build a team through the draft, not with UFA’s. The Vincent Lecavalier situation is a special instance, and we have to give it attention, do our due diligence. We shouldn’t turn our back on a potentially cost-effective Top 6 forward, a ‘gros joueur de centre’ that we always cry we need, just on a philosophical basis.

The reason we don’t like UFA’s usually is because we have to overpay. If in this case Marc Bergevin and Geoff Molson can attract him to Montréal on a reasonable contract, the objection is removed.

To say Vincent Lecavalier’s skills are diminishing is correct, factually, but overblown. He’s a very fit, dedicated player who plays hard in all three zones. He was injured last season when he took a puck to the foot, that hampered his stats, but he was clipping along at a point per game pace before that. I know, because he was on my fantasy team, for the last couple of years, and he is productive.

I see his role as playing centre between Max and David Desharnais. David would have more room to operate, and would have two shooters to feed the puck to, but wouldn’t have to take draws, Vinny would do that job. I think that would work very well.

• Da Hema says:

You and twilight proposed putting Lecavalier between Pacioretty and Desharnais. That could work I conceded. But let me note I do not oppose free agency philosophically, but rather consider it through the lense of expediency. From that perspective, the greatest weakness for the Habs is their defense: losing Emelin means the team will be using more plugs until his return (and to fill in until the team’s promising group of young defencemen are ready to play in the NHL). If a goal of free agency is to make a team better, I believe the Habs should be focussing on their defense rather than forwards.

• Un Canadien errant says:

No no no, that’s what waivers and claiming Jeff Schultz is for.

This stuff is so easy, I should really be a GM.

• Da Hema says:

I propose you and I become co-general managers! Imagine the debates!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Okay, but only if we fire Michel Therrien and one of us is the coach, the other is GM, and every week we switch off. To ensure continuity we have a full briefing when we do the handover, we don’t want this to turn into a circus.

• Da Hema says:

Hmmm.

I suggest you work the weekends. And I have a cottage, so you’ll have to work over the summers too.

;)

43. habstrinifan says:

I am officially banning any further posts of any trades or acquisitions which makes Toronto appear to get better and adds to my depression.

No more Dupuis to Toronto like reports.

44. Thurston says:

Abe Hefter ‏@hefteronthehabs
    OK. I’m hearing V.L. wants 5 yrs & #HABS offering 3. #HABS really want him? He really wants to play here? Settle on 4 yrs & shake hands. No?

45. Sportfan says:

So the Habs are one of the 15 teams interested in Vinnie, the question is he interested?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

46. habs1992 says:

Eklund reports Habs are OUT of vinny sweepstakes. You know what that means He is signing with the Habs.

I support Carey Price

47. savethepuck says:

I am on the fence re: Vinnie signing with the Habs. Haven’t seen him play enough the last 3 or 4 seasons to determine how his game has declined, all I know is that his role in TB seemed to have diminished over those years. I would trust our management to put a value on what he’s worth for term or $’s.
    Regarding overpayment and CAP issues, why doesn’t Molson just offer him a long term lucrative endorsement deal for the breweries? ;)
    What are the odds of the NHL considering that CAP circumvention? ;)

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• johnnylarue says:

Is there any chance in hell Lecavalier is actually holding out for the highest bidder? Even with $30 million in the bank coming from the Lightning?

I mean, seriously, is the guy trying to scrounge up the funds for a down payment on the universe?

• HabFab says:

The NHL sent a memo out this week that money spent including free Hotel rooms or private air flights for the UFA was not allowed in talks with. Does that help you any :)

• wjc says:

Haven’t seen him play eh! Well Tampa has and they paid him to go away. He doesn’t need Molson’s money, he could spot Molson a loan.

Maybe he will hire Molson to sell his beer. Lacavalier light.

wjc

48. jols101 says:

Pierre LeBrun – TJ Galiardi traded to Calgary for a draft pick.

49. Da Hema says:

Mike Ribeiro. Once a puke, always a puke.

50. HabFab says:

John Shannon – Red Wings have been told they are not in the Vinny Lecavalier bidding war. Sounds like he’s close to deciding.

OKAY!!

51. bel33 says:

Pascal Dupuis and 2nd round pic to Toronto for Nikolai Kulemin. RDS is reporting.

EDIT: dumb RDS app is now saying there is NO trade. Never mind… sorry for the quick post.

• HabFab says:

Was a hack job. Being denied.

Craig Custance @CraigCustance

Be careful of the fake Pierre LeBrun accounts out there. This is the real one: @Real_ESPNLeBrun and it’s not reporting a Kulemin trade.

52. habs1992 says:

I will chip in 10 dollars if we sign Vinny our saviour.

I support Carey Price

• wjc says:

You heard it ‘OUR SAVIOUR’, stay away Vinnie, you are already rich, why do you need cold winters, snow, ice, social media dissecting your every syllable, talking heads stirring up controversy, high taxes, french and english debates, political corruption, bloggers, people checking to see how much ice time you got and how much you failed this game, lies, innuendo, half truths, mafia tie in’s, no truths….for what a few more million…….listen to Price…..stay away!

wjc

53. habs001 says:

Sounds like VL will come to the Habs if $$$$ is not an issue as it appears the Habs offer will probably be one of the lowest ones compared to the other offers…

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I like the strategy. Won’t overpay and then you know he wants to be here as well, which would be great in the room and shows his head is in the right place.

So….does he want to play for the Habs? We’ll soon find out!

• johnnylarue says:

I don’t know how much the concept of the “hometown discount” applies to a guy who was a Red Wings fan as a kid and hates media attention.

Granted, I would only endorse this signing if it’s affordable (ca. $3.5 million) and not too long-term. And strictly as a DD replacement. I genuinely hope MB doesn’t let the Lecavalier of 2003 cloud his vision too much…

• wjc says:

You won’t endorse this signing……traitor…..kick DD to the curb…ha ha evil laugh……ha ha ha ha. Stick your tongue out at D.D. bye bye twerp……..oh wait Vinny didn’t come after all…….please come back D.D…..We need a handy whipping boy.

wjc

54. Maritime Ron says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 29m
    I could be totally wrong, but gut feeling says Boston, Dallas and Detroit top options for Lecavalier if Montreal is a No… but guessing…

Pierre LeBrun Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1h
    NHL Rumblings: Lecavalier’s choice is close – ESPN http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nhl&id=25901&src=desktop

Pierre LeBrun Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2h
    Yes, playing East is a factor for Lecavalier, but not the only factor. Dallas is still in the mix.

• ont fan says:

Vinny is never going to come to the Habs. His life and his families life would be a fish bowl. From what I have heard he is going to Dallas or Detroit. You guys are dreaming.

• Lafrich says:

“From what I have heard he is going to Dallas or Detroit”. Source please?

• ont fan says:

Heard it on Sportsnet an hour ago. Nill wants to make the playoffs and Vinny supposedly wants to be there.

• Un Canadien errant says:

“Vinny is never going to come to the Habs.”

A categorical, absolute statement, that flies in the face of what Pierre LeBrun is reporting. Mr. LeBrun is well-connected and reliable.

“Heard it on Sportsnet an hour ago.”

The basis for such a categorical statement. Yes, Nick Kypreos is so trustworthy. If I need an opposing goalie’s knee joint blown out, I’ll call him, otherwise, not so sure.

• ont fan says:

Sorry , just reporting what I hear. But you have to be realistic. If he wanted to come, there wouldn’t be the dog and pony show.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Hey, we’re all stating opinions here, let’s have at it. My objection is the way you present your opinion as a straight fact. You make good points, they’re hard to find fault with, my reaction to them though is due to the fact that you’re claiming them as gospel, as proven, rather than your educated deductions. No harm done, it’s another fun day on HIO.

55. HabFab says:

RFA’s not qualified today;
    Brennan Klak – Guys who are now UFAs: Mueller, Skille, Pouliot, Daugavins, Nodl, Blum, Halischuk, Sauer, Mikkelson

56. Ghosts of the Forum says:

From Pierre LeBrun:

“The decision for Lecavalier begins with Montreal. He has to decide whether he wants to go home and deal with both the perks and detriments of playing in his native town. And if he goes home, it’s not going to be for the same kind of money or term other clubs would have offered. If he’s a Hab, it’s more because he really, really wants to be one. Montreal definitely has interest in signing him, but it’s going to have to be on a reasonable deal that fits within its cap and payroll structure.”

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

This works for me, if it is MB’s strategy. If he’s up for taking a hometown discount, by all means sign him, but no way this is the guy we break the bank for.

• habstrinifan says:

Cme on everyone. Let’s get this done. Start a drive. Send your checks to Habstrini Vinny Drive. With the $3.5 mill that MB (MB insists on a bridge contract) will ante up an what we here can come up with we could get the $5 mill level easy. Some of you like HabinBurlington and UCE are rich. And some of you like Timo and Frontenac waste your money on booze and wimmen.

Let’s do folks. Each donation of $125+ gets a tax receipt.

57. habstrinifan says:

Mommy… Mommy.. why dont nobody like us?

58. habstrinifan says:

What if Bruins get Vinny to replace say Jagr.

59. thebonscott says:

apparently zenon konopka is available, hmmmm

GET BIGGER, GET TOUGHER, GET EVEN.

60. Maritime Ron says:

To the poster that wants Mike Ribeiro instead of DD (This coming from someone that is not a DD fan)
    ———
    From The Dallas Morning News Plano Blog

On 10/10/10 at 23:26 hours, Mike Ribeiro (Dallas Stars hockey player) and three associates were arrested at Ra Sushi Bar Restaurant (7501 Lone Star Drive).
    Three of the individuals were arrested for Public Intoxication and the other individual was arrested for Public Intoxication and Assault. All 4 individuals were transported to the Plano City Jail and were bonded out at 04:44 hours…

From CBS 11 in Plano and officer Rick McDonald:

McDonald explained that Ribeiro was dining at Rasushi, located in the 7500 block of Lone Star Drive, with 39-year-old Darcy Lewis and 39-year-old Tammy Williams, who is Ribeiro’s wife.
    The two women got into an altercation with other patrons at the restaurant and an off-duty officer who was working there intervened.

Ribeiro’s party, which also included 36-year-old Wane Lewis, was escorted outside. All four were taken into custody for public intoxication. Wane Lewis was also charged with assault after, police said, he lunged at an officer during the arrest.
    —–
    No, we should take a pass……..

61. DMAN says:

Why am I being marked as spam?

62. Fake says:

Hal Gill has 1 year left at an even 2M. Who would you rather on our third pairing?

Gill or Bouillon
    6’7 | 5’8
    2M | 1.5M
    38 | 37 years old.

63. habs11s says:

So if Phoenix moves to Seattle, what do you think they should change their team name to?
    _____________________________________________________________

64. ClutchNGrab says:

Key Arena in Seattle is holding dates for the NHL.

I guess the only way Quebec City will get a team will be through an expansion. With the salary cap going up in the next few years, they will have to wait ten years to have a competitive team.

After all that money spent, I can see the ownership group in 10 – 15 years asking the government more money for any type of upgrades (parking, seats, corporate boxes) with the move of that team to another city if the government doesn’t comply.

How can you commit that amount of money without any guarantee that a team will come, under the pretext that without an arena a team will never come? If the Coyotes move to Phoenix it will be proof that we, the tax payers, got screwed, big times.

65. ProHabs says:

If the Habs sign Vinny, the fans better be ready to buy many many more $200 centenial bricks.

66. Ed says:

I am a big Hal Gill fan.

I think he was a great influence on Subban especially, and a leader in the room.

he will improve our penalty kill.

great short term addition.

67. voyageur9 says:

Preds put put veteran blue-liner Hal Gill on waivers, per Lebrun

Great career, fine man, hope it ends gracefully

• I’d take him back for a year–as long as the money is right. No one’s going to push him out of the crease while he’s defending Price. And we know he’s a team guy, so he’d fit in well. Win-win.

DDonais

68. Habfan10912 says:

Completely agree. Pass.
    Edit: Sorry. This was intended as a reply to Habfab below.

69. HabFab says:

Interesting read on some back ground at the draft;

70. stephen says:

Haven’t heard much about Pascal Dupuis as a UFA pick-up. Any opinions? Seems to me he would add good depth and is a solid addition to any PK unit.

• Habfan10912 says:

I am still on the fence on this one Frank. If Vinnie does end up a Hab it could mean good bye to Pleks. Not sure that improves the club unless Pleks brings equal to or greater value in return.

• HabFab says:

Glad that we have pros running the ship Jim. Us amateurs would only sink the good ship “les canadiens” I fear.

• D Mex says:

Given the absence of recent reported VC sightings anywhere in PQ, or travel by MB for the purpose of meeting(s), it seems improbable the #44 will be worn by a centre on the CH roster in the foreseeable future. Too bad …

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

• I read on another TSN draft article that MB et al did in fact meet with VC. Still, hopefully, MB sticks to his guns and doesn’t go off the rails on any sort of crazy train… ;)

DDonais

• Ed says:

Bergevin and Therrien just met with Vinny this past weekend.

• johnnylarue says:

Yup, Vinny has officially met with, I think, 8 teams in the past few days–Habs among them.

MB is on the record as having a ‘very high’ level of interest in Lecavalier.

Based on the 5 year/$5mil contract he is rumoured to be looking for, I really hope he goes to the Leafs. They’re due.

• Timo says:

5 year / 5 mil and a first round pick… so what that he is a UFA? I say, give TB a pick anyway.

• johnnylarue says:

I agree–TB are being nice enough to pay Vinny $30 million not to play for them anymore.

I’m all for throwing in a first round pick as a gesture of good will. It’s a classy move–and hockey culture, as we know is all about a weird obsession with “class”.

• D Mex says:

Business is what prompted TB management to make him available to the market. It’s about $$ and ¢¢ – nothing to do with culture …

ALWAYS Habs –