Habs return home, won’t practise until Tuesday

Following a 4-0 loss in San Jose Saturday night to wrap up a four-game Western U.S. road trip, the Canadiens travelled home Sundayand were given Monday off to recover after playing four games in six nights on the road and seven games in 11 nights overall.

The Canadiens only picked up two of a possible eight points on the road trip with a 4-3 win in Anaheim, while playing without injured goalie Carey Price.

“We played two good games,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters in San Jose, including a 2-1 loss in Los Angeles to start the trip. “The longer the trip went on, the more I felt fatigue started to take its toll on our team.

“Carey is our best player – he’s our most important player,” the coach added. “But that’s not an excuse. I think we’ve still been able to pick up some key points in his absence.”

The Canadiens are 3-3-1 in the seven games since the Olympic break without Price.

The Canadiens will practise Tuesday at the Bell Centre, when they will also have their official team photo taken, and then face the Boston Bruins Wednesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690). The Ottawa Senators will visit the Bell Centre Saturday and then the Canadiens will be in Buffalo the next night to face the Sabres.

Brandon Prust, who has been sidelined with an upper-body injury, will return to the lineup Wednesday and the Canadiens are also hoping to have Price back in goal against the Bruins.

(Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

GM Bergevin has given Habs a chance to win, by Jack Todd

Habs limp home after brutal stretch of schedule, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Heading home, Canadiens.com

Blown out in San Jose, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs lacked energy against Sharks, by Pat Hickey

NHL GMs to talk about OT changes, video review at meetings, montrealgazette.com

1. RetroMikey says:

My wife teaches in Toronto at the same school where PK’s father Karl is the Principal.
    Here’s an interesting article on Mr. Subban. Oldie but a goodie article.

Enjoy!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

2. BJ says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing a try of Briere, Vanek and Galchenyuk. Briere and Vanek played together in Buffalo maybe there is still some magic there?

3. BJ says:

I ‘m not sure how valid this journalists (Jimmy Murphy) source is with the Devils. He reported that the Devils offered MB a 2nd pick + a prospect for Gionta.

• johnnylarue says:

Seems pretty clear our GM’s priority was ensuring we make the playoffs. I imagine trading away the captain for non-roster players would have sent the opposite message.

• Commandant says:

It seems odd that they would offer a similar package for Gionta as we gave for vanek.

Consider that their prospect may not have been as good but their second would be higher.

I don’t see Lou Lamorello doing this, he’s one of the NHL’s best GMs, he knew what market prices were this year.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Devils already have Jagr and Ryder on the right side along with Brunner.
      Just don’t see the fit

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Interesting. Jersey has a couple of Dmen (Santini, Severson) that look pretty good — at least according to scouting reports. Both are righthanded and big (6″2″”). Mind you we are pretty deep in D prospects but not so much on the right side. If MB could have wrangled one of those two kids, I would have been happy to see him make the deal.

4. CJ says:

As we approach St. Patrick’s Day, I would like to bring up something that is not often discussed, but plays (seemingly) a major part in determining winning and losing – Luck. Before you throw me overboard, hear me out.

What allows Fred Couples’ ball to stop on the side of the bank at Augusta on route to him winning a green jacket? What about Ryder’s glove save again the Habs in OT, or the goal post in the dying seconds of the USA vs Canada Women’s gold medal game? Sure, the answer is almost certainly physics, but, maybe, just maybe, it has something to do with luck.

I look at Bergevin’s moves and, at the time, I agree with the majority. Not sure if it is luck, but, as of yet, he hasn’t seemed to have had a great deal of success. The move for Vanek, on paper, was the right thing to do. He takes everything into consideration, aligns it with cost/value and identifies an opportunity to lay a bet on the table. Based on articles following the trade deadline, rival GM’s were almost unnamious that this was a great move. Yet, for whatever reason, these moves are simply not working….Yet. The season is far from over, and the time to evaluate is down the road, but I honestly wonder if Bergevin lacks that special something. He kinda reminds me of the guy who consistently stands when the dealer is showing a bust card, but somehow manages to lose the hand when the dealer flops a winning combination.

Where I see Bergevin getting the highest marks is the scene of him running to meet George Parros as he is taken off the ice following the fight against Orr. Or, the scene of him waiting in the tunnel for Price following the win in Ottawa. He is a player’s GM and I think the team really appreciates that (recall comments following the Blackhawks win how badly the team wanted to win for MB). The truth is, there is a lot about this team that makes me excited. Regrettably, there are also a number of elements that give me pause for concern.

Call me supersituous, call me crazy, but the biggest element that is no longer in our favor is luck. I don’t know if its the ghosts of the Forum, or the law of averages simply returning to the mean, but it would seem that things have not gone in our favor for a number of years. This St. Patrick’s Day, I hope Bergevin finds a four leaf clover. Bergevin, and by extension the franchise, could use a little luck.

• Cal says:

The team is a lot tougher to play against now as opposed to then. MB is slowly putting his stamp on the team. As many have said, “The harder I work, the luckier I am.” MB just has to keep putting in the time.

• rljmartin says:

Talking about luck…. The one I most remember is the 7th game overtime against Boston. Puck is going in the net and hits Chara’s skate. He didn’t even see it but it hit his skate because he was standing behind Thomas!

• CJ says:

No doubt the team is much tougher to play against. Looking back, we have come a long way. Our drafting has helped, however it will take another 1-3 years before we start to graduate MB draft classes.

• Cal says:

Getting Murray, Parros and Weisse for nothing (take that, EOTP!) help a bit. Getting Vanek for nothing was a vote of confidence for the roster. Getting Weaver for depth now looks genius (I know he’s not Bobby Orr, but he doesn’t make a lot of rookie errors.)

• CJ says:

Vanek has cost us something. We hope to be lucky and have that loss mitigated by Collberg not realizing the potential that made him a draft pick and the second rounder not turning into a great player.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think in years past the teams were so terrible that no matter how lucky the Habs were now amount of luck would help. People aren’t all big fans of Bob Gainey around here but when he signed Gionta, Moen, Gomez and Cammalleri, we wen’t from a bad to mediocre team to a good but not great team. We had some luck in 2010 and at least had a roster that could back it up.

This year we have a better roster than 2010 so with a bit of luck we hopefully do even better. neither the Forum ghosts or any amount of luck could have helped the terrible teams from 1997 to the 2008.

• CJ says:

I agree Hobie. Those teams (1997 – 2008) left a lot to be desired. Playoff success against the Bruins aside, there were many more dark days then anything else. A lot can be traced backed to poor drafting, however I digress.

• johnnylarue says:

Hard to mention luck without bringing up the Habs’ last Stanley Cup…

I actually think Bergevin has had a reasonable amount of “luck” as a GM so far. Nabbing Vanek for such a reasonable price–whether that trade works out or not–could be considered lucky. Getting Patches signed to such a cheap contract only to subsequently see him assert himself as one of the league’s best goal scorers? At least a little lucky there, too.

But I do agree that this team in general has suffered from a lack of luck since St. Patrick’s departure. Rejean Houle traded our luck away for Andrei Kovalenko.

• CJ says:

The Vanek move might yet prove lucky, or it might be regarded in six months as a failure. I think of the Emelin signing as an example of bad luck. He inked a deal that was thought to be fair value. If anything Bergevin can be accused of believing too much in his players. Briere and Emelin have not rewarded him for his confidence in either.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi CJ

Your luck theory is interesting, yet there may be another way to look at.

“If there is any such thing as good luck, it is that which results from hard work and preparation.”

Good luck happens when preparedness meets opportunity

Even William Shakespeare chimed in:
      “Good luck is often with the man who doesn’t include it in his plans.”

• CJ says:

Good post. I agree, luck is a byproduct of hard work. It’s the same reason why you see teams on winning streaks get the bounces. Case in point, the game against the Devils in NJ during our streak, when PK coughed up the puck with a minute to play in the third. We should have been dead and buried, yet we managed to score with less than a minute to play to tie and won in a shootout.

• Captain Pike says:

Machiavelli wrote “Fortune is a woman” and as such she favours a more adventurous lover and usually young men because they are less cautious. He was paraphrasing the Roman saying “Fortune favours the bold”.
        In this light I believe MB has shown with the Vanek move that he is ready to take bold steps in order to help the team.
        Let’s hope Lady Luck smiles on him and all of us.

Oh yes, and positive vibes for Tim B.

• New says:

I would disagree. In anything where you decide in a split second what to do you are going with muscle memory and training. That is exactly why you see so many posts hit, including your example. White ice, white boards, white net, usually white goalie equipment, and red posts.

Ever see the video of Crosby and MacKinnon shooting green water bottles off the top of the net? Sure competition is fun. But what is on top of most NHL goalies nets?

You make your own luck in this life.

• CJ says:

Good points. I agree, you create your own luck. I was hoping my post would start conversation and it certainly has.

Your point about muscle memory is valid. Maybe I should have used better examples. I think the Couples ball on the bank is valid, but I appreciate that this is hockey forum, so it certainly doesn’t hold a great deal of weight.

In any event, thank you for sharing. Cheers, CJ

• wjc says:

Luck, just happens it cannot be planned, worked for, etc. It happens on its own, just like bad luck. You go on a streak, winning or losing.

You can win by working hard, but luck just happens.

You shoot bottles off the top of nets, to prove your accuracy, we know they won’t result in goals, but it proves you have hand eye coordination to make good things happen.

I read Jack Todd say a fifth round choice, it was actually a 2nd round choice…big difference.

Now New York could get lucky and draft well or Montreal could get lucky and keep Vanek. New York could get lucky and have Collberg develop into a great player or Montreal get lucky that he doesn’t.

Luck is something that is just happens or doesn’t, very unreliable.

wjc

• scamorza says:

Still say you shouldn’t upset the hockey gods- you don’t celebrate until you actually win the cup parading down Ste. Catherine after winning the semis is exactly what the dolts of laffs fans have done in the past on yonge street and that is why they haven’t won in what 47 years ?!?!?

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• habstrinifan says:

Sorry CJ.luck is a factor in sports of course but I cant agree “but the biggest element that is no longer in our favor is luck.”

Bergevin lacks that something special…. a coach like Roy?…(my humble opinion and I was wary of Roy).

5. Phil C says:

One of the things I noticed in the Sharks game is that because the Sharks forechecked with speed, they were getting to almost all the loose pucks first. It was like boys against men. However last season, this was how the Habs played. Has anyone ever asked Therrien why they switched from an up tempo forechecking/speed system to a trapping system? Did the Ottawa loss make him lose faith in an uptempo game? I keep waiting for them to switch back to the old system.

• jimmy shaker says:

Things that make you go hmmmmm…….also they were at or around the top of the league in goals scored too…….Not sure what has happened, it’s basically the same team; mind you they are better defensively than last year so pick your poison I guess.

Shaker out!

• Habfan17 says:

I wish someone would! I wish MB would tell Therrien to go back to that system. It sure beats watching the Habs give up so manu pucks on shoot ins! I would rather see Galllagher, DD, Pleks and Gio using their energy to drive the net, create scoring chances and pressuring the other team into mistakes instead of watching them fight the retrieve the puck they already had, usually against players that have physics on their side!

Habfan17

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi phil

To be honest, I have no idea what system the Habs are playing…especially in the D zone.
      It never appears to be consistent, and guys look absolutely lost out there more often than not.

• grizzles says:

reason number 1 supporting MT’s firing.

I almost hope price doesn’t steal a playoff round, giving him some job security in the process

• Habfan17 says:

I second that!! The successful teams have one system they play all the time. During any one game, the coach has minor tweaks to counter act any adjustments the opposing coach has made, without completely changing the system. This is where I think Therrien falls flat.

When opposing teams are not at their best, this play not to lose will succeed. When teams are on their game, it fails miserably!

His constant line juggling also hurts the team more than it helps. I have watched lines start a game and after one or two shifts, he is moving players around. Give the guys a chance to get comfortable!

Habfan17

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Prust’s injuries haven’t helped.

• CJ says:

The best forechecking games the team played all season had White Weise and Bournival on the fourth line. I understand that Bournival is hurt, but what has Weise done to deserve a seat in the pressbox? If he is not injured, I would consider this a very strange move.

Briere has something like 21 points this season. On three occassions, he has had three point games. That means he has a total of 12 points over the other 50+ games. If he is not producing points, he is not helping this team as he does not forecheck, backcheck or otherwise augment his scoring with another element. The exact same applies to Bourque. Eller can get engaged physically, however his penalties suggest that this is not the style of play that suits the young man. Truth is, we have far too many one dimensional players who have not proven that they can consistently make their linemates better.

Fortunately, when healthy, we have a number of excellent players, who I believe will continue to carry the team in spite of the others. This ying and yang composition of talent leaves me wondering how the next month will unfold. I still believe that we are a playoff team, however if we want more (second round) then we need to quickly gain focus and get on track. You can’t limp into the postseason and hit a switch, turning things around. The foundation for success needs to be laid now.

Tomorrow’s practice and line combinations will go a long way to determining where we go next.

6. Mattyleg says:

Morning everyone!

I feel like it’s the Emperor’s New Clothes every time people talk about the EGG line, and it’s driving me nuts.

What they say:
    “The EGG line carried this team for the first ten games of the season” (Conor McKenna, TSN 690; 90% of HI/Oers)

The truth:
    First 3 games of the season =
    G A
    LE: 4 2
    BG: 2 1
    AG: 0 5

Next 7 =
    G A
    LE: 1 1
    BG: 3 1
    AG: 0 2

That isn’t a line carrying a team for the first 10 games, that’s a line carrying the team for the first 3.

What they say:
    “The Canadiens were playing a much more exciting brand of hockey at the beginning of the season”
    (Conor McKenna, HI/Oers)

All teams look more exciting at the beginning of the season because their young players are full of piss and vinegar, and teams’ D-corps aren’t clicking effectively. This would explain the EGG line’s success, and the fact that once they were identified as a threat, they were completely shut down.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with having that line reunited; it’s good to try things, especially now with Vanek in the lineup; but revisionist history bugs me.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Paz says:

I don’t understand your logic.

Your numbers indicate quite clearly that for the first 10 games that line contributed hugely to te Habs success.

Desharnais was at zero and Paciorretty no far behind.

So without the contribution of the Egg line, the argument goes, we would have been clobbered the first 10 games.

The Egg line carried this tam offensively during the first 10 games.

Absolutely a valid argument to make.

• krob1000 says:

They scored in nearly all of those games…sure they weren’t all goals with all three of them in on them but I only found 2 of the first 10 games that not one of them hit the scoresheet. Also there is more to consider than that line….given Eller is responsible and Gallagher a work horse….it meant a more balanced attack and meant that Pleks/Gio did not have to get all of the d matchups…they were producing at that point as well. The only important forward guys not producing at that time were DD/Patches duo.
      In the third period I thought the Egg line looked to have some jump and got some good ozone time, I thought Vanek looked better and seemed to be more suited to the DD-Patches line. Briere would probably be best back with Pleks/Gio and Moen can fill in late there. Given how they looked at the end of that game I Would be surprised if MT did not go that route…I will be surprised if he doesn’t move Vanek to dd/Patches line. It looked like it gave the guys a bit of life and jump.
      The Egg line does not have to be reunited but Vanek to the DD lien and Galagher somewhere else to ignite another line IMO is much needed.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I don’t think it’s revisionist history Matty. They had 22 points in the first 10 games. Certainly they cooled down after the first 3, but they still contributed 8 points in 7 games.

7. Sportfan says:

I don’t know all the info, but TSN showed two hockey teams in a championship that went into 7 overtimes and still no one won, so both teams won, the players looked really sad.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

8. habsguru says:

just heard Matt Stajan has lost his newborn son and is taking a leave from Flames. if true, lots of thoughts and prayers to the family.

• Commandant says:

Unfortunately it is very true. Its been a brutal week for hockey

- Tim bozon is still in critical condition and now in a coma.
      - Terry Trafford of the OHL’s Saginaw Spirit has been missing for 7 days.
      - Grandville High School hockey team co-captain Ryan Fischer was found dead hours before his teammate was in the state championship.
      - Matt Stajan lost a new born son.

My prayers to all those families. What an awful, tragic week.

Here are Monday’s “games played” adjusted standings. If the Habs finish 7th or 8th, they probably face Pittsburgh and Boston in the first TWO rounds. The best hope is to finish 2nd or 3rd in their division.

Divisional:
    Montreal & Toronto = 77 points
    Tampa = 76
    Detroit = 73

Overall:
    Detroit = 4 behind
    Washington = 6
    New Jersey = 7

• Commandant says:

I wouldn’t worry about Toronto’s “game in hand”. They are about to start the brutal western swing we just finished, only theirs is 6 games and ours was 4.

I can’t seem them picking up more than 4-5 out of those 12 points.

• Sportfan says:

Would be very happy to see a Leafs streak that would be as long as the road trip.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• 24 Cups says:

Is it 5 or 6 games?

The one advantage that Toronto has is that four of their last six games at the end of the season are against NHL doormats.

Out of the three division rivals, it would appear that Tampa has the easiest schedule for the remaining games.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi cups

Sometimes those games are the most dangerous.
          Huge pressure to win vs. a team with no pressure where sometimes guys are playing for jobs next year or call ups bring some life.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

One thing the Leafs have going for them is that their starting goaltending is healthy.

• Maritime Ronn says:

I believe the Leafs road trip is 5 games – 3 out west in 4 nights against Anaheim-SJ-LA…then 3 days before meeting @ Washington and @ Detroit.

Not saying the Leafs are better than the Habs, yet with the exception of a questionable 6 man D Unit, the Leafs match up better.
        They are a bigger team and the Leafs Top 6 has much better scoring power.

In the nets, Bernier is playing very well.
        In his last 10 games, he’s won 7 lost 3.
        His SP now equals Carey Price and he has only 2 less wins than Price…where Price has started 6 more games than Bernier.

• 24 Cups says:

And then there’s the Bruins. The only weakness that team has is a D that is a bit long in the tooth and injury prone.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Hi Ronn, not disagreeing with the scoring but I think the Leaf “size’ issue my be a bit of a myth.

Bozak, Kessel, Kadri are not big guys, Lupul and Raymond are average and their 4th line doesn’t play.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• Maritime Ronn says:

good morning

Lupul plays bigger than he is.
            No fan of Kadri here, yet so does he in his sneaky way.

Here’s realizing the “Hit” stat is subjective where homerism gets involved, or where a high hit stat can be directly related to bad puck possession, yet the Leafs easily still lead the NHL in that category.
            That factors into wearing another team down.

• Phil C says:

“ If the Habs finish 7th or 8th, they probably face Pittsburgh and Boston in the first TWO rounds.”

Are you sure? If they finish 8th and play Pittsburgh, if they beat them, wouldn’t they play the winner of the Atlantic 2-3 series? I thought that was the point of divisional playoffs, I didn’t think they reseeded everybody again.

• jimmy shaker says:

I don’t think taranna is going to get any points out west the way those teams are playing combined with the swiss cheese defence they employ. So I can see them being stuck at 76 points for a while. Also I don’t really care where they finish as long as they avoid philly, taranna and the bolts. I’d will gladly take on everyone else with actually great confidence!

Shaker out!

10. Maritime Ronn says:

A poster writes:
    ” A certain T. Plekanec has 1 goal and 5 helpers in his last 18 games. How come nobody’s ragging on him?
    ….. the Viking can do his job well enough at a fraction of the cost.”
    ——————
    You forgot that 19th game where Plekanec scored 2 goals.
    :-)

Plex is always out against the other team’s best line and his Plus + 8 is tied with Gallagher as Best for all Habs forwards.

With those huge responsibilities, he is still on track for a 21 goal season.

And then there is his contribution to the Habs 4th best NHL Penalty Kill.
    No doubt the best penaly kill player has to be your goaltender, yet Plekanec’s contributions are huge – including his 3 short handed goals tied for 2nd best in the NHL in that category.

As for the soon to be 25 year old viking being able to take his place, perhaps 1 day, yet the viking has never shown himself to have the hockey IQ of Plex, nor has he ever come close to scoring 20 goals in a season while always playing against the other team’s best.

Plekanek is more that doing his part and contributing in every aspect of the Habs game.
    As for his worth, the list is long as to other forwards making more and contributing less overall.

The Habs scoring problems come from non-contribution of the bottom 6.
    Moen has 1 goal this year – White has 2 goals, Bourque 8-Prust 5…and 10 other forwards have played 54 man games contributing 0 goals-2 assists.

Compare that to the Bruins bottom 6 in terms of minutes played/game:
    Smith 18 goals, Soderberg 11 goals, Paille 9 goals, Campbell 7 goals…even Sean Thornton has managed 4 goals playing 8 minutes a game

• Luke says:

The Viking needs to play with more authority.

He needs to show us that he can do these things, not speculate.

He couldn’t play on a line with Pleks (& Gio), what makes anyone think he could replace him?

• Commandant says:

Eller has been terrible for three months. He needs to pick up his own game, or he will be the one being replaced by someone below him, not moving up the lineup.

That is the reality right now.

• Paz says:

Habs lack secondary scoring and Plekanec needs to be better.

The poster makes a valid claim that in the past several games Plekanec has not contributed offensively.

He is a leader on this team and his offence is necessary for the team to win.

• Commandant says:

I’m not saying that Plekanec’s offence is not needed. It certainly is.

I’m merely stating that the fact remains that Eller is closer to losing his own spot than usurping Plekanec’s with the way he’s played.

• grizzles says:

eller has been placed with horrible line mates for the vast majority of the season. its not a coincidence that his best play this year has come in the few games with solid line mates (galleys). He can be an effective 2-way player given the opportunity. MT refuses to give him this chance, destroying his confidence in the process

• Commandant says:

That line was not going well when it was broken up.

Eller has also played the majority of the season with Galchenyuk, not exactly a horrible linemate… only Gallagher was taken away.

When Galchenyuk got hurt, Eller was put with Gio and Pleks and didn’t get it done.

In comparison, when DD was a rookie he scored over 20 points in half a season with Pouliot and White.

Its time to stop making excuses for Eller. Its time to step up and play well.

• Habfan17 says:

Hey MR,

I will have to disagree with you and side with the other poster on this one. Pleks is very good but he is not in the same league as Zetterberg, Datsyuk, or Alfredson! I could name others but these should be enough. These are platers who also play defensively and face the top lines from other teams and yet they still contribute more offensively and do more in the playoffs!

I have compared Alfredson to Pleks before, both have the defensive responsibilities, and both have had to mentor new players on their line or take players in slumps on their line to help get them going. Still, with the same responsibilities, Alfredson contributed more than Pleks. Even this season, with Detroit falling back compared to other seasons, Alfredson has 37 points and is plus 3 compared to Pleks at 35 points ad plus 8 and he does it with an average or 2 minutes less on ice per game. Detroit has had injury issues too!

When Alfredson was Pleks’s age, he had 80 points and was plus 12. No one can claim it was the coach since Martin and his defence first game plan was in place!.

Having said all that, Pleks has been a very good Hab, not great!
      He is expendable, in my opinion, contrary to most on HIO.

Habfan17

• Old Bald Bird says:

The concerning thing about Pleks is that the second half is never up to the first half. He seems to be mainly a d-guy who can produce offensively early in the season. He is very valuable to this team, but in my mind he is either a 3rd line type of centre or a 2dn liner who should have a reduced d-dole in order to maximize his offense. Of course, as usual, I am probably talking thru my tuque.

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Mea culpa Ronn. I did indeed cherry pick my stats. Still, even with those two goals, his output has been anemic. Of course, he’s not alone. Scoring is a problem for this club — has been for years. Which is why MB brought in Vanek. Anyway, your observation re the bottom six is probably more the issue than Pleky’s poor output of late. Those guys need to step it up large.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi spin o

Your points were valid.
        I’m just a Plex fan that believes there is way too much expected of him.
        Plex is the safe play while the Habs are reluctant to give Chuckie a place at C.

11. Sportfan says:

I really hope Price is back and ready to go!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Habs will have a well rested CP going down final stretch run. Habs have 4 back to back games left and 2 games against Fla & TBL in sunshine state. Here are the Habs remaining 16 games.
      12 Mar – Bos at Home
      05 Apr – Det at Home
      09 Apr – Chi at Away
      10 Apr – NYI at Home
      12 Mar – NYR at Home

Go Habs Go!!!

12. lach60 says:

Stroumboulopoulos is rumoured to be the next host of HNIC.

A Habs fan hosting HNIC, look out.

13. CJ says:

Good morning folks. Big week ahead. Need to get the train back on the track following a tough four game set out west. Our fate resides with Price. We need his stabilizing presence in the net. Budaj, with cherry picked starts here and there is effective, however riding him as our number one for an extended period of time has proven ineffective.

I still see potential here, however there needs to be an adjustment to our existing lines and we need to be healthy. Although we have become a deeper team, we are still not able to overcome the loss of our best player (Price). Additionally, key losses has forced others into roles in which they are not capable of excelling.

Hopefully we hear good news following practice today…… Whoops, sorry, I meant to say practice tomorrow. Cheers, CJ

14. habstrinifan says:

Gionta to Vanek: “After you Sir!”
    Vanek to Gionta “No Sir ..after you”

Therrien smiles “Respect! Capt ahead… 21 before 20..My work is done here … this guy knows his place. Just a little CPP refresher and he’s good to go. We dont need no stinkeen practice”

• ont fan says:

Went to Spits SSM game yesterday. Not much hitting. Vail played defense for injury riddled team. A Jimmy Roberts type guy for you old timers. Skates pretty well and stayed out of trouble on the back end. Surprised Nurse wasn’t very physical.

15. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

A certain T. Plekanec has 1 goal and 5 helpers in his last 18 games. How come nobody’s ragging on him? The guy makes $5 million a year. And, I might add, does a Copperfield-esque vanishing act come playoff time. Now, there’s a guy who should have been dealt at the trade deadline…

(P.S. Defending the guy’s value by citing his role as a premier shutdown/PK specialist doesn’t cut it. You don’t pay guy’s like that his kind of money. Besides, the Viking can do his job well enough at a fraction of the cost.)

16. GL says:

we are the lowest scoring team in the top 8 of the eastern conference shouldn’t that send a message to MB. Your not gonna do well in the playoffs if the team can’t score. Vanek is not gonna help us if he don’t have players on his line that can score or set him up. He’s a playmaker and a goal scorer but not without the right players.
    anyway he’ll play the season out and move on. This team can be exciting at times but they are years away from being a cup winner and I’m not sure if it will ever happen again. Maybe in another 25 years. some of you Guys may think so, not me. I watch them because I like Hockey if it happens it happens….

• DipsyDoodler says:

“we are the lowest scoring team in the top 8 of the eastern conference shouldn’t that send a message to MB.”

Did he not trade for the top scoring available player?

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Cal says:

Eliminating the gimmick would be a very good thing. Those goals are so important they are not counted in a player’s Goals scored column.

• Luke says:

A 4 minute 4-on-4 and a 4 minute 3-on-3 is just as much of a gimmick as the shootout.

It’s so important to play 5-on-5 that they will change it…

(Full disclosure: I’d prefer 5 minutes of 4-on-4 and then 5 of 3-on-3 to a shootout, but it’s still a gimmick).

17. habstrinifan says:

Captmax’s post at 12:04 AM reminded me of one player on the roster whom I had forgotten . Hey it happens. I am getting rather senile. Or maybe, it really isn’t my fault or even his that that player is easy to overlook today… where once he was regarded as our MVP on the ice and in the room.

Where forth art thou Oh Prust?

Like Eller, P.k .. another graduate of Therrien’s CPP program… Castreze Persoane Penisurile.

Translation courtesy of my Romanian concubine. All us real TROLLS have Romanian concubines. Timo probably has SIX.

18. Rad says:

Evgeny Kuznetsov finally joins the Washington Capitals. He’s a hell of a player — many had him rated as the best player not playing in the NHL. He will give the Caps a big boost down the stretch.

Good Morning Boys and Girls!
    I am taking one of my son’s to the Boston game for his birthday Wed.
    Hope to see a few HIO members at Hurley’s after the game. We are staying at the Novatel and taking the train back to Belleville in the morning.
    I am still looking for a hall to host the Summit in OCT. To big a crowd to have it at Hurley’s and the Baton Rouge anymore.!

20. Rad says:

James Murphy says the Devils offered the Habs a prospect and a 2nd Rounder for Brian Gionta at the deadline:

21. Cal says:

The fact is 29 NHL teams won’t win the Cup this year. Harping on and on about how you’re so much “smarter” than those who’d rather look forward optimistically, you show yourself as someone that is bulletproof against losses because you “expected” it. How glorious it is, having a “fan” that thinks the team is nothing but garbage. Well done. **Golf claps*

22. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

Haven’t read the comments, yet most likely there are complaints about not practising today with the blame finger directly pointed at the coach.

Don’t blame Coach Therrien.
    Most likely, the new 2013 CBA is the culprit.

“All clubs need to schedule no less than 4 days off (2 at home and 2 on the road) for players during each full calendar month.

Players will be notified prior to the start of each month which days they will be off, and the team’s schedule should not be altered absent compelling circumstances.” (new players/trades are not compelling reasons)

These days off are MANDATORY.
    Days in which they travel but do not practice, or days in which they take part in community or public relations activities without practicing, are NOT counted.

• Habfan17 says:

Good morning MR,

It is true, that there are mandated days off, however, if you add up the days off the Habs have been given by Therrien, you will see he gives more days off than he is mandated to do!

The team may be tired, but a light, fun practice to work on the power play and positioning would not hurt. The execution has been poor and it won’t get better by resting!

I would hazard a guess, if you checked the successful teams, they are practicing more than the Habs are. I don’t think the Habs problems on the road were all due to playing 4 games in 6 nights or 7 games in 11 nights, or the time difference for the western road trip. Other teams are faced with the same challenges and are winning and scoring 5 on 5.

At some point the coaches have to be held accountable. Yes, some folks here will trot out the ” Therrien can’t be all that bad, the team is up there in the standings” My response, is, Price has bailed them out and they have won games hey should have lost. I would add that if Therrien was capable of properly motivating the players and working on the details, the team would be more successful and they would be scoring more 5 on 5 goals and have better power play success. The power play is regressing.

What happened to Therrien’s ” no more excuses” That is all he has been doing lately, making excuses!!!!

Habfan17

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi 17

If he has given more days off where the conditions have been met, then perhaps a reporter could ask the question why….instead of the softballs they usually toss out there.

• Rad says:

Ronn, I long ago stopped expecting our Habs reporters to ask any pertinent or valuable questions. They are sycophants, essentially.

• Habfan17 says:

It seems the only reporter that dares call them out, was the woman who called out the coaches for not having Cole on the power play. Then presto, a few days later he became a fixture on the power play!
          She embarrassed the coach into doing his job!

Habfan17

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning gentleman. In the teams last funk Therrien tried the supportive, kind, gentler approach with his team and it worked as they went on a something like 9-0-2 run to right the ship. His “my boys are tired” mantra may be designed to motivate which he feels is more important then a late season practice. He obviously feels irregardless of the practice rules that this approach works best with this bunch.

Look at me defending a coach who I don’t really like but its hard to argue with the guys record.

23. icky pop says:

Why am I seeing hashtags on HIO threads?

24. billylove says:

This is a test of the emergency warning system. Be advised that an unknown ailment has infected a clear majority of HIO readers. This mysterious affliction causes a near total loss of rational thought. What most concerns observers is the recent discovery that this ailment is likely contagious. After a one-sided thumping in San Jose, the number of poll participants at HIO who believe the current Montreal roster can win the Stanley Cup this year increased from 59% to 60%. Observers were shocked to see an increase after the San Jose defeat. Although the increase is statistically small, they say any increase in this illogical belief is very troubling. Rest, deep breathing exercises and an occasional double shot of single malt scotch are recommended treatment options. In time, treatment may reduce symptoms, but the epidemic will continue to be monitored closely until percentages fall to a safer level. Be careful out there!

25. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I have avoided visiting because I expected Our over-wrought Habbie Fans would be in frothing conniptions post the Vanek trade and being bitch-slapped in San Jose

…I have, though, dropped-in to hopefully provide Y’all a little optimism and a warmer fuzzier outlook that better dayz are ahead

…maybe one of Our other esteemed Hab-bots already has noted this, but I don’t have patience to scroll through the previous comments

…just read an on-line Globe and Mail headline saying there is a strong rumor that Hockey Night In Canada are to replace Ron McLean with George Stombolopoulous (hope I have the spellin right)

…if true, …won’t that be ducky ?

I wonder if there is another team in the league that gets more days off than the Habs. I am looking at LA winning 7th in the row, Bruins with 5, Chicago keeps on rolling, STL, etc… The good team have by now come together and are ramping it up for the playoffs. After 60+ games Habs are still looking for line combinations, getting more tired by the day and don’t have set defense pairings. For the grinding team they don’t have players to play that style. For the team whose strength is speed they are constantly outskated by the opposition. WTF is this team that Bergevin is supposedly building?

• CH Marshall says:

Sometimes I think MT is a coach by profession in name, mixing lines and what not, but is not great at getting into his player’s minds,,, or what Napoleon called “man management”. It’s becoming more and more obvious that Patrick Roy has that.

27. CH Marshall says:

More and more I enjoy reading Jack Todd. But he avoided discussing MT. Smart.

28. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Man do i love this site. It took 2 games from being contenders that could take on the leagues best to the suckiest buncha sucks that ever sucked. The bi-polar joy and despair of habs fandom.
    I’m not criticizing,i’m the same way. Living out west it’s hard to find a habs clique and it’s nice to know i’m not alone. Get the butterfly nets and straight jackets.

29. Captmax says:

I am confused!! People think Vanek is the savior but look at his stats. He’s a play maker. More assists than goals, so here who does he play make with? If the line mates don’t get open he’s a useless pick up!

Who does he then play with? Linemates who score! That’s not Plek and Gionta. Yes, Dd and Max are the obvious choice.

MT is a stupid horrible excuse for a coach and that’s why the Habs faulter. He abuses players psychologically. Eller is out of step bc of him and I doubt will recover. The kid is put up withGionta and Plk and plays well then is pushed to 4th line center then up to 3rd. Then sat. Kid doesn’t know if he’s trade bait or a Top 6. You can look at him and see that he’s not playing for the team bc the coach hasn’t supported him. Bourque as well. He knows he didn’t fulfill the expectation but then MT benches him and starts the line change game. Screw MT. He’ll never Win us a Stanely cup bc he can’t see chemistry or leadership.

The best assets Montreal have are Parros and Prust. They bring leadership and heart! Something the team needs. Parros is always on 24CH giving advice and encouragement. Prust keeps the room light and fun. Oh and Jorges is king. He leads and plays with a broken hand. Those guys are the heart and soul.

Hopefully they find a new coach or a better team to play on.

• jols says:

Not sure if Gorges is king but I’m sure he is a great teammate but for a guy that has been on this team for many years now, many people still can’t spell his name – even those that think he is king.

30. formerly known as the hc says:

It’s refreshing to see that we still don’t have a coach. Also still have too many crappy players. Who, by the way, our terrible GM didn’t trade them for Sid and Weber. Oh well… Back to work.

The beatings will conmtinue until morale improves.

• D Mex says:

So : no coach, crappy players, and terrible management.
      MAY we assume you will be leading the charge to improved morale ? – or will it be some other optimist ? …

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

31. CJ says:

Signing off folks. No news, to my knowledge, regarding Tim Bozon. Let’s continue to send positive thoughts and hope our strength can help in some small way. I’m not giving up. Best wishes, CJ

32. Storm Man says:

Grey Goose for everyone lol

33. CH Marshall says:

So my buddy is in FLA vacationing with his parents, and turns out the guy in the condo next door is Scott Bowman himself. Apparently Scotty is a very high functioning autistic person and booksmart genius

34. Da Hema says:

I confess I’d love to consume what the 1,703 people were drinking when they voted that the Habs can win the Stanley Cup with its current roster. It must be a very pleasant cocktail.

• GGtheHab says:

reword the the question to will, instead of can, and re post it now that the Vanek euphoria has died and the numbers will be realistic..but bearing in mind 86 and 93 yes anybody CAN win the cup…

• Da Hema says:

With all due respect, even with Carey Price, comparing this team to 1986 or 1993 is utter nonsense. If it were possible for those teams to play the current one, the latter would get totally demolished. It would be an embarrassment. I doubt the current team could even win one game in a playoff series against either of those teams. The 1986 and 1993 teams were big, strong, tough, mean, fast, and skilled. You should look more carefully at the composition of those 1986 and 1993 teams. Both had their share of Hall of Famers.

• Cal says:

So, no Spring optimism for you? Such a shame, too, jamming all that negativity all the time. But hey, whatever floats your hippo, eh?

• NoTinFoilCups says:

Nothing but Grey Goose will do. Better washed down with Sapporo. ;>

35. Storm Man says:

Elite coach is what this team is missing

36. maiolola@comcast.net says:

I’m sick of hearing the excuses made when this team loses!! MT is a whiner, the schedule is the same for every team, they all have to go through stretches like this. I would have had them back on the ice on Monday, but maybe they don’t need any practice. The players start reading stuff from the coach and media about how tough the schedule is and they start thinking that they can take a night off now and then. Guess that’s the difference between the elite teams and their coaches and the rest.

Train

37. Storm Man says:

Well Bobby Smith let me know when we get a smart coach.

38. Storm Man says:

How can any player be a leader on this team with MT and his ego?

39. GL says:

Next game I would switch Vanek and Pacioretty to start the Game and see what happens. If it’s not going good, very easy to switch back ….. I think Mr.Vanek would show us why MB picked him up.

40. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Who are the leaders on the Habs that can focus and motivate the team? I think Gionta likely knows he won’t be back next season. Markov is quiet. Gorges is vocal but Plekanec seems quiet and usually shrinks in the playoffs. Gallagher is too young to lead. Subban seems immature. Price seems passive. We need more players like Prust (assuming healthy) to win in the playoffs. Too many passengers on this team. I think Therrien has to crack the whip from here on out if we stand any chance to succeed. the Habs seem to get complacent after wins and need a major kick in the rear.

• Mondou6 says:

Yeah, no leaders by example, that’s for sure. No gritty hardworking lunchpail types wearing the C or A.

PK and Price are our two most skilled players. PK is constantly in MT’s doghouse, and may not be back next year. Price is a goalie.

After that…who? Plex, I guess, but he’s quiet. Max is our best forward, but he’s not a rah-rah hardnosed player.

Team lacks an identity, no matter how you slice it.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

So you think the missing element is the perceived amount of vocal leadership,off the ice?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

One of many missing elements

• Mattyleg says:

…is volume…?

What do you think spoke louder, Gorges’s rah-rah-rah before the games, or his playing with a broken hand for two games until they could pick up a replacement?

…but it’s all about the rah-rah-rah, right?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Gorges is a leader and has character. He’s just not that good of a player and we’ve overpaid for his services for years to come

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Overpaid? He is essentially Dan Girardi in ever stat..

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Mattyleg says:

He’s very good at what he does, and we missed him the last two games.
            Overpaid is an extremely relative term.
            All players are overpaid.
            He is one of the top shot-blockers in the league, which means that he is able to read the play extremely well and get in shooting and passing lanes.

That’s what you pay defencemen to do.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

I’d take Girardi over Gorges in a heartbeat

• Mattyleg says:

That is the only thing stopping us from finishing first in the NHL.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Hmmm my brother is very well spoken and a decent motivator… If that is all we need, perhaps I could ask,if he’d be interested in taking an LOA from work to win a cup..

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

41. GL says:

If lady luck doesn’t come the Habs way should they make the playoffs. I think Timo hit the nail on the head. 1st round bounce job.
    get ready for summer Golfing and September training camp to see what they can do 2014-2015. we have gotten use to this now.

42. Slackman says:

This teams makin the play-offs. stop complaining

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

43. CJ says:

I just happened to check the box score in the Blues Wild game. Total combined shots, through two periods, was 21. Is this the future of hockey, or is this just an exception? Seems more and more that teams are deploying a game plan built on defence and goaltending.

Somebody posted the 92-93 Canadiens team stats earlier today. Three guys had over 80 points (nearly 90 points). Roy, arguably at the peak of his career, had a GAA well over 3.00 and a save percentage well under .900.

What a difference 20 years makes…..

• Mondou6 says:

Good points, CJ…

The game is very different, in many ways. Used to be some progression of play, moving the puck up ice, nowadays, without the two line offsides rule, it seems the puck is basically slapped back and forth up and down the ice, with just a quick touch at the red line to prevent icing.

Players are bigger, faster, stronger.

To my eyes, it looks like there are less goals scored through outskating players, and more goals scored through just quick bang-bang plays throwing the puck at the net, and getting a tip.

Hence the focus today on shot blocking, which was never a big thing in the past.

• CJ says:

Good post. Shot blocking has redefined the game. It seems like more pucks are getting blocked now then ever before. Players are getting in the lane and playing what amounts to zone defence. I haven’t statistical data to support this feeling, though I’m fairly confident that it’s true.

• Mattyleg says:

I think goaltending coaching has something to do with that too…
      Back then they just used to put the goalie in and say “stop as much as you can, however you can.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• CJ says:

Without a doubt. Goaltenders are often the best athletes now. They are bigger, with few exceptions (King Henrik) play at the top of the crease and have bigger and lighter equipment. I was listening to the team 690 about a month ago and they had a rep from Bauer on the program to discuss equipment. He said goalie pads are 33% lighter now then they were two years ago, moving from 3 to 2 lbs.

I’d be willing to guess that a single goalie pad from the mid 80′s to early 90′s weighed as much as two new pads, the blocker and trapper combined. Goalies on this forum would be the subject matter experts, but I can’t think of another position in sports that has undergone the equipment changes that hockey goalies have enjoyed over the past 100 years.

44. Storm Man says:

I’m not sure where I stand come playoff time not with the system MT has this team playing.

45. jimmy shaker says:

16 games left.

Would like to go 10W 4L 2OT/SO

This would bring the boys to a comfortable 99 points. Usually the cut off is 95 pts. I hope the boys can do this. Do any of you?

shaker out!

• Timo says:

Sure, just to get gloriously bounced in the first round… why not. The similarities with the end of last season are incredible.

• jimmy shaker says:

I don’t find anything really similar at all compared to last season Timo…..Seems like they were cruising and clinched early last year than the wheels fell off. Price was good, than turned to pooh, pk was wicked better last year, gorges wasn’t injured, we didn’t have vanek last year, for some reason they could score goals last year. IF they make the dance and play anyone other than taranna, then they have a shot I think. And the major difference just like the big run years ago besides Halak was MAB, and this year’s MAB is going to be big danny B. He’s ready to go if our fearless coach gives him the ice!

Shaker out!

• Timo says:

I remember that last 10-12 games of the last season were not great. Everyone was talking about the magic switch, how team was going to turn it around once the playoffs started. They are in the same boat here… once the going gets tough (which it has) Habs have no answer. Playoffs won’t be any different.

This team needs to bring the real MAB back.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

MAB annnnnnnd Schnieder

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• jimmy shaker says:

Ya, to that point you are correct. Better to be on an upward push heading into the playoffs than a downward spiral. I agree. And I agree with your last point as well!

Shaker out!

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

there was less pressure to win last year

• CJ says:

Success hinges on Price returning to full health and continuing his excellent play. IMO, 99 points seems high. On first blush, 10-4-2, although possible, sounds unlikely. Hope I’m wrong Shaker. Things need to tighten up though.

Wednesday is going to be a huge test. Boston won’t want to go 0-3 against Montreal.

You Might Also Like worst headline EVER

“Canadiens name Therrien coach”. I am going to go throw up a little.

I knew it… travel today, day off tomorrow. Unreal.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

I don’t think they ever practice these days. I am also wondering how they can be so fatigued…what the hell are hockey players made of these days…….they play 20 minutes a game of they are on a decent line…..only practice a couple times a week…maybe 3 games on average a week…….that means that a guy like Moen plays less than 40 minutes a week……..Briere he must be really beat by his 25 minutes a week…..travel first class…have their meals looked after….don’t have to pack for travel…..really fatigued….and we as fans gobble this crap up and even post of it……

48. DipsyDoodler says:

” Life’s barely long enough to get good at one thing. So be careful what you get good at.”

Here we go!

—–
    Moving. Forward.

49. Storm Man says:

Well when you have a coach who try’s to change a skill set of a player yah it’s his fault and you think this team is built to dump and chase?

50. frontenac1 says:

Heads up amigos. Good game on TSN 2. Hawks vs Sabres. 1-1 in 2nd.

51. Storm Man says:

So when is MB going to sit the coach down and tell him this is not a dump and chase type of team. I feel MT has Killed LE81 to the point it’s sad to watch.

52. Thomas Le Fan says:

I’d like Vanek to practice with his linemates sooner rather than later but, yeah, they could use a rest. It’s not like they’re young, supremely well paid and full of p*** and vinegar, is it? I bet your boss gives you two extra days off in a week cause you’re a little fatigued from doing your job. Right? I’m kidding. I think.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

53. Paz says:

I remember Vanek driving his knees hard, skating well.

Have we seen that yet?

54. boonie says:

Just read that Lundqvist on is 300th game and picked up his 49th shutout. Kind of remarkable that nearly 1 in 6 of his wins are by shutout. That’s similar percentage-wise to Brodeur who has 669 wins and 121 shutouts. For comparisons, Roy had 551 and 66 shutouts.

Makes you wonder what Henrik could have done on a better team.

• Psycho29 says:

I think I heard today that the 49th shutout ties him with Eddie Giacomin for the all time Ranger lead.

• A better team? Like Team Sweden :lol:

Henrik will be forever known as the goalie who pulls himself frm games and oversized gear.

I don’t like him, and will never respect him. Any man who gives up…well is no man I want to be associated with.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

55. The Teacher says:

Jack Todd was pretty bang on with his article today.

56. Psycho29 says:

PK tweeted this about an hour ago….not sure what it means. Is he happy to be home? Or did he sign??? (wishful thinking)

P.K. Subban ‏@PKSubban1 ·1h
    MTL.

57. Hobie Hansen says:

From what I’ve seen here today people think Therrien sucks, Vanek is a bust and there’s no excuse to lose three of four games without your number one goaltender on a long road trip against some of the toughest teams in the NHL. Wow.

Look people, regardless of what’s gone on in the past few games, we’ve got the best roster of players we’ve had since the mid 1990s. Does that guarantee any type of success? Of course not! We could still be swept in the first round. That’s hockey.

All I know is that we’re getting a bit of a bonus shot to try and do something in the playoffs a couple years earlier than expected. Most people think we won’t be consistently good until guys like Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Tinordi and Beaulieu are a few years older. They’re probably right. A few more pieces will have to be added at that time as well either through the draft, trades or on the UFA market.

For now we’ve got two explosive scorers in Pacioretty and Vanek. A kick ass, two-way, Selke candidate centerman in Plekanec. A couple very promising young players in Galchenyuk and Gallagher. Two outstanding defencemen in Subban and Markov. One of the top goaltenders in the game in Price. Plus a handful of other useful players, and a coach and GM who consistently deliver better than expected results.

Are we Stanley Cup favourites? No! But hell, we’re maybe a tad behind Boston and Pittsburgh to come out of the East. Maybe it happens, maybe it doesn’t. As Price said to the fans a few years ago…CHILL OUT!

• HabsPooch says:

Amen! Let’s enjoy the ride.

• Psycho29 says:

Great post HH…
      When everyone is healthy, the glass is more than half full with this team…

• scamorza says:

Thank you thank thank you! I have been trying to read some of the comments most of the end of the world is neigh variety and have to laugh- are we favourites to win – no but then again the last time we weren’t either – lucked out with the islanders , Patrick became a saint and Leclair was to quote the RDS guys en feu! will it happen again probably not , can it happen again of course – if price is in fine form if we can get timely goals if the PP and PK shine and if we don’t take so many stupid penalties ( and yes the refs suck but they do all around did you see the call on Ennis tonight negated a goal) we have a chance so chill out enjoy the ride and lets hope Carey is back in between the pipes Wednesday – actually putting Budaj in there may regain his confidence as he owns the bears.

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• boing007 says:

Disagree. The ’93 Habs had much more defensive depth, character players and offensive scoring.

Richard R

• scamorza says:

Sure but the bruins were upset by Buffalo and the penguins were favoured to threepeat – and were shocked by the islanders – point is get into the playoffs and anything can happen. But we won’t go anywhere unless price comes back and plays extremely solid and yes lots of players would also have to step up their game
        Cheers

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

58. jlgib1019 says:

I am as happy as anyone to acquire Vanek. But wasn’t one of the main things about Bergeron is that he isn’t going to trade away assets(prospects/picks) for rentals just to get in the playoffs until we are cup contenders?

jr

• Hobie Hansen says:

Trading away one 2nd round draft pick and a player who’s a long shot to ever become an NHL regular will hardly make a difference if at all.

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Perhaps I missed it but it’s funny how no one mentioned Collberg as being a likely bust until after this trade. I think a 2nd round pick and Collberg was not ‘nothing’ to pay for this rental (Vanek). I still commend Bergevin for being proactive and overall agree with the trade but don’t see it as being such the steal most others do.

• Paz says:

I never actually came out and called Colberg a bust but I did say that he seemed to have been slowed by his knee injury.

He’s a pure offensive player who has not produced for two years.

• JohninTruro says:

You can’t predict this Hobie, you know that. We won’t know for 3-5 years on this. As some have likely seen me write the last few days, I LOVE Vanek but I am not pleased we made this trade. I really hope we are able to re-sign him, if not I will be totally annoyed by this.

• BobbySmithWasClutch says:

Good point. I too overall like the Vanek trade but don’t think we’re serious Cup contenders this season. I suppose one could argue that with a fairly weak and wide open Eastern Conference it was worth pulling the trigger on the deal. Also, I suppose it wouldn’t look good to miss the playoffs or bow out easily in the first round on his watch (after last year) so he did something.

59. AH says:

“Where have you gone Carey Priceio, our HIO nation turns it’s lonely eyes to you”…….

60. Sportfan says:

LOL Strombo and Grapes sounds like a train wreck of an idea, Strombo is cool, but can he deal with Grapes?

Upside Strombo is a Habs fan :D

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Slackman says:

Dude that combo sounds like it will be unintentional gold. Strombo could probably mess with Cherry the way a guy like Steve Colbert could totally screw with a guy like Bill O’Reilly. I could see it being hilarious

“When the going get’s weird, the weird turn pro”

61. UKRAINIANhab says:

We are going to make the playoffs. Who will we be playing? Thats the question. Imagine if the habs lost to leafs in the playoffs. Argh the thought of that.

62. habstrinifan says:

Around what time last season did the final swoon start. Amid which Therrien assured us that the team will be ready for the playoffs. You know how that went!

And yes those were his excat words. ‘we will be ready for the playoffs”.

• Mattyleg says:

If the players had come back from injury on time, and Eller hadn’t nearly been killed, he would have been right.

Would you rather the coach say “Oh, actually, I’m not really looking forward to the playoffs. Not at all. We have a lot of injuries! Have you noticed? And look at Ottawa! All their injured players are coming back… We will not be ready for the playoffs. No way. Nuh-uh.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

63. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

More lede-burying! Price back in goal in Wednesday against Boston. Likely. Better be. Not too happy about Toking on Buds.

64. habs_54321 says:

habs need more gallaghers, him crashing the net is one of the only positives lately

65. JUST ME says:

They did look tired and empty wich worries me a bit cause now is the time to peak and be there for the final sprint.

Good thing that they get to rest after that difficult western trip.

Bring on the Bruins !

66. HabFab says:

Finally a good call from a NHL ref…

Renaud Lavoie

Refs Steve Kozari asked D.Paille to go to the dressing room. Paille was hit hard but wanted to stay. #buins vs #panthers

67. HabFab says:

Matt Stajan and his wife lose a newborn son… sad!

68. HabFab says:

Bob McKenzie

CoachesCornerCBC is reportedly getting a new 2-yr deal. Sounds like Ron MacLean still involved but not as main man.
    Lots of talk George Stroumboulopoulos will this week be named primary face/host of the other guys’ nat’l package.

WOW… George and Cherry!!!!!!!!!
    At least GS is a Habs fan.

• habstrinifan says:

WOW! Not sure if that combo will work. You may not like Ron but part of the whole appeal/angst(negative appeal) is the whole Ron-Cherry schtick. Can Strombo pull that off. I dont think so. Strombi is to ‘confident and cool’ looking to take that ‘lackey visage’ that McLean pulls off.

69. jols says:

Day off tomorrow is crucial after traveling 1st class today for a few hours. The boys must be tuckered out. Had to be a tough day. Those 1st class charter flights are hell on the body. Good call Therrien.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I guess blocking shots, being checked into the boards
      and letting some bumps and bruises heal has nothing to do with it? A couple players might want to see their kids and family for a few hours too?

• jlgib1019 says:

Looks like Bruins are sweeping the Fla. weekend.2nd game in less than 24 hours,their 6th game since last Sat. Every team has a condensed schedule.Ours is actually a little easier as other teams have to play more games in March than we do. And all the east has a 4 game in 6 day west coast trip. “No excuses”

jr

• Omit says:

“Time wounds all heels”. – J.L.

70. HabsPooch says:

I’m wondering if anyone has watched Brady Vail play live and can add in a few thoughts on his play? It seems like he’s having a great year and will be playing next year in Hamilton. Scouts have him pegged as a future two way player but say his offence might need a bit of work to make it to the NHL.

• CJ says:

I watched him last year in Ottawa. First impression, he looks much bigger on the ice then his listed height/weight. Very good skater and responsible 200 ft game.

Best move ever was the trade of Kerby Rychel. Vail is now the main guy in Windsor. I watched on television the night he managed four points against the 67′s in January. Good prospect. Could end up being a third line centre. Funny, this past week week he has been playing defence. He’s done this in the past mind you, so it’s nothing new. Speaks though to the skill and ability of this player.

• HabsPooch says:

Thanks for the input. I was hoping his ceiling would be a second line centreman but I’ll take him as a checking centreman.

• CJ says:

I don’t want to type cast a kid who was eligible to play in this year’s WJC. Truth is, anything is possible. Using the information available I’m projecting third line centre. Could end up better, or could end in the ECHL in three years. Time will tell. I have been impressed. Cheers, CJ

71. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Habs back home,Front back home. Time to take care of Bid Ness. Let’s let r Rip! Saludos!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Welcome back buddy! Habs picked up Vanek and Tinordi punched out Torres. That’s about all you missed.

• frontenac1 says:

Thanks Hobie. Read a bit of the threads in a Rum soaked haze while I was away. I think the Habs got stronger with the additions. They will gell. We have one hell of a line up with serious depth now imo. The best part of the season is upon us and we will go deep in the post season. We have bought the ticket and now we take the Ride amigo. Saludos!

• Habfan10912 says:

Finally! We get our best player, our best grinder, and onecof our best HIO’ers back! Hope you and Mrs. Front had a great time. We missed ya!

• frontenac1 says:

Thanks Jim. Mrs Front and I had a blast down in Jamaica.
        (from what I can remember). Love the springtime and Hockey. Best time of the year. Hope you are getting the worms ready for the summer.

Welcome back Front! Trusting you had a great vacation. Cheers, CJ

• frontenac1 says:

Thanks CJ. Everyday is a vacation for me amigo. The hot sun and Rum in Jamaica was a great bonus on my walkabout of life. Saludos!

• CJ says:

I love your outlook. If you have a second, lend a thought or share some positive vibes for Tim Bozon, one of our prospects who’s in a bad state. He could use our positivity buddy. Cheers, CJ

• frontenac1 says:

Read about that with great sadness amigo. Hard to stay positive with such a nasty illness. I am not a religious man but I do believe in the power of positive thoughts, and the incredible power of the human spirit to overcome extreme adversity. I am hopeful Tim”s spirit with our positive thoughts will pull him through this .Keep the faith amigo.

• Mondou6 says:

Welcome back, front…As Eller would say, “Skoal!”

72. HabsPooch says:

First?

73. Cal says:

Like I said. Your posts (and others) go on and on about how crappy the team is. If they are at or near the top of their conference, that team is a contender, like it or not. Of course, you will deride this and will continue with your glass completely empty routine.

74. Luke says:

That glass is empty and turned upside down.
    And when someone says, “Let’s flip that over and fill it up to the halfway mark.”
    The response is “Why bother? You won’t fill it all the way to the brim. I love having something to drink. I have for a long time, but unless the glass is completely filled to the brim, it’s not worth it.”

75. boing007 says:

They don’t play well on a consistent basis. Losing games when you play well consistently is acceptable. Oftentimes they play like they don’t even know what they’re doing.

Richard R

76. CJ says:

I agree the team is going to have to rely very heavily on Price regaining his health and playing to his full potential.

77. Maritime Ronn says:

morning scotland (depending on time zone)