Habs return home, won’t practise until Tuesday

Following a 4-0 loss in San Jose Saturday night to wrap up a four-game Western U.S. road trip, the Canadiens travelled home Sundayand were given Monday off to recover after playing four games in six nights on the road and seven games in 11 nights overall.

The Canadiens only picked up two of a possible eight points on the road trip with a 4-3 win in Anaheim, while playing without injured goalie Carey Price.

“We played two good games,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters in San Jose, including a 2-1 loss in Los Angeles to start the trip. “The longer the trip went on, the more I felt fatigue started to take its toll on our team.

“Carey is our best player – he’s our most important player,” the coach added. “But that’s not an excuse. I think we’ve still been able to pick up some key points in his absence.”

The Canadiens are 3-3-1 in the seven games since the Olympic break without Price.

The Canadiens will practise Tuesday at the Bell Centre, when they will also have their official team photo taken, and then face the Boston Bruins Wednesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690). The Ottawa Senators will visit the Bell Centre Saturday and then the Canadiens will be in Buffalo the next night to face the Sabres.

Brandon Prust, who has been sidelined with an upper-body injury, will return to the lineup Wednesday and the Canadiens are also hoping to have Price back in goal against the Bruins.

(Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

GM Bergevin has given Habs a chance to win, by Jack Todd

Habs limp home after brutal stretch of schedule, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Heading home, Canadiens.com

Blown out in San Jose, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs lacked energy against Sharks, by Pat Hickey

NHL GMs to talk about OT changes, video review at meetings, montrealgazette.com

1. nek25plus says:

Surely, when you are a team with a team first mentality – you shouldn’t single out one player as your “best player”!?

No triple low fives, no one “player puts him ahead of the team”.

As this mandate was implemented by the Coach and his staff…I think he should be reminded of and or explained to that singling out Price as the “best player, most important player” is the opposite of his mandate.

2. petefleet says:

You know what is killing me this morning?
    Shae Weber launches two shots last night at head level in the OTT game and all the announcers are making excuses for why they are so hi and basically forgiving him. You know that if that was PK launching shots that high, there would be a cry in the media that he has no control and he needs to get his shots down before someone gets really hurt.

“Being on the PP doesn’t make you an offensive threat anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.”
    Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

3. Bmon44 says:

@boing007, apples and oranges. Lemieux led the league with 160 points, mogilny had 76 goals and Oates had 97 assists. No one is gonna come close to those totals this year

4. Maritime Ronn says:

Paz writes:
    “It may seem like an excuse for bad play, but instead, try and think how this would play on your confidence.

Because any of you out there who have been elite athletes will know that confidence goes hand in hand with skill. You need both to succeed in sports, and in life.

Eller lacks confidence……..
    ——————————–
    hey Paz

About the confidence thing.

Once upon a time, a good bud of mine was what could be considered a very good NHL goal scorer – not elite, but upper echelon.
    Back then, teams didn’t have mind ‘therapists’…..
    He was also a competitor…

When he went through some droughts, he always blamed…. his stick-the curvature, the materials used to make the stick-the tape on the stick-the sharpening of his skates-his knee pads – the ice-the refs-the bed at the hotel the night before-the food….there was no end to the blame game.

When it was all over, I asked him why he hadn’t just blamed himself, and accepted that he couldn’t score all the time.

His answer went something like this:
    ” If I ever started to think it was me that was the problem, I might have lost some of my confidence.
    If I ever lost my confidence, I was in big trouble.
    When I didn’t score, it was never going to be about me.
    If I ever let that get into my head, I was finished.
    Call it denial if you want, but that’s how I survived”

Here’s not saying all the NHL guys of today think like that as many have the luxury of guaranteed contracts, yet you have to wonder if that ‘confidence’ mind set still exists today with a lot of guys?
    Eller may be the poster child for that…certainly going into a contract year.

• SmartDog says:

The problem is that to attribute negative outcomes to external factors as a habit sets your Locus of Control outside yourself. In other words – if you blame all the stuff around you, you’re saying that succeeding is outside of your control. I can’t stop my stick from breaking, etc. – so why bother?

This is why successful players almost universally think they CAN control their fate – that if they tried harder they could have won that game or scored more or stopped that break away. An INTERNAL locus of control is a healthy thing for an athlete. What your buddy was doing ultimately was working against him.

I studied this stuff at a very high level (PhD). Which is also why Therrien’s comments drive me crazy. There’s research on this – and there’s a reason why you don’t hear certain kinds of comments from players and why you hear a lot of the same things over and over. Successful players blame themselves for losses – not the circumstance and not the guy beside them. Teams that finger point and blame fall apart. It’s a well researched fact. Guys that blame things outside themselves rob themselves of the belief they ARE controlling their fate and they CAN win with more effort. The belief that they HAVE control leads to more effort… and which leads to more success.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Maritime Ronn says:

He scored a lot of NHL goals in another era before the CBA.
        This is the NHL – not some Arts PhD Psych class
        Those guys did what they had to do to survive

• habs_54321 says:

I agree SD the second I read therrien’s comments about price being our best player and then following it up with “but that’s not an excuse” my first thoughts were that’s another excuse he has made a lot of excuses for this team over the year. way too many

5. mdp2011 says:

So if you’re coaching the Habs and Price is not ready to start Wednesday, do you start Devan Dubnyk, Budaj or Tokarski?

6. boing007 says:

Knuckles says bring back Beaulieu. I agree. Likes Murray. Would even like to see Pateryn in Montreal.

Richard R

7. krob1000 says:

Habs have had at most 1 regular practice since Sochi, Habs have the teams best player injured(yup..I agree with MT on something!), Habs are trying to integrate new bodies into the lineup (without practice), Habs just got done what is one of the worst scheduling stretches of the season for ANY team this year…they will be fine folks…just fine.

8. icemachine says:

Can’t wait to hear the first time Don tries to pronounce Stroumboulopoulos

9. krob1000 says:

Mike when Pleks when he was younger took more PIM’s and was criticized*especially on here) for o zone penalties just like Eller…he hasd seasons of 54, 50, 60 and 56 PIMs. Eller is on pace for a bit more than that but he aslo is far more physical than Pleks and is among team leaders in hitting and gets involved in situations Pleks did not.
    As for the point totals….PLkes is the highest scoring center have HAbs have had since Koivu…Dd topped out at 60 and will be right around 50 this year. As long as the teams approach is as is I don;t see anyone breaking out as a top scorer. I realize youa renot giving up on Eller but his pace last season was same as DD’s this season…and he has a far more rounded game.
    Anyway..I know youa re not on eof he Anti Eller crowd who insist he is useless…but I jsut want people also reading your posts to see the other side of the coina nd note the other factors involved.

Mike D

March 10, 2014 at 11:58 am

I hear ya bud, but here’s the thing:

If Larry were given the team’s best 2 wingers and 1st unit PP time and STILL only put up 50ish points, that would be pretty bad.

I agree with you on the role of a Centre too in terms of forechecking, but Eller has 32 more PIMs (much more than double) than Pleks does, despite playing 237 less minutes than Pleks has this season…..about 3.5 minutes/game

10. mdp2011 says:

Josh Gorges out 4 weeks, that sucks.

11. Hobie Hansen says:

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens with our beloved sport of hockey on the tube next season.

I’m assuming that since Rogers has editorial control of everything that CBC will just be running the Rogers feed? They won’t have a CBC HNIC in crew and a Rogers crew? If you flip to Sportnet East to watch the Habs game you’ll get Strombo hosting the show as well as if you watch CBC? Kinda like the way it is now on Saturday but spread across many more channels?

12. Paz says:

Eller lacks confidence in my opinion since the Egg line was broken up.

We need secondary scoring. We could actually have 3 lines scoring if this one clicks again.

This is why NHL coaches are paid big money.

This is the defining moment in Therrien’s season.

• habs_54321 says:

DD>Eller

• bwoar says:

Yeah, I think this year’s been pretty indicative of that. Eller’s a defensive centre, not a scoring threat. He’s got no business being on a line with Galchenyuk and Gallagher.

Folks, what you saw in EGG was a small sample size. Time to move on

• krob1000 says:

lol…small sample size?…did you miss last season as well as the first quarter of this one? Eller outscored Dd last season, and first quarter of this season but let’s ignore that reality? It is quite plain to see for those who want to look that is….that they are very comparable and how they are used will dictate their statistics. Eller also contributes in other areas that Dd does not. Dd is playing very good hockey, Eller has not been (looked better last couple games) …so everyone is focussed on the now…I think you will see Gallagher with Eller next game and then we will see if that line can hold its own. Dd right now the way he is playing may also bode well to get Vanek going…and since that line is sheltered anway…why not add Vanek and put him in position to succeed? Gallagher needs no sheltering…so have him spark another line.

• wjc says:

This ‘excuse’ thing to me gets very annoying.

An ‘excuse’ is ‘THE DOG ATE MY HOMEWORK, for not having homework done.

A ‘reason’ is ‘ My house burnt down last night’. big difference.

Example, you run a 10 mile marathon against an opponent.

I forgot my running shoes is an excuse for wearing your street shoes and losing.

I just ran 3 ten mile races in the last 5 days is a ‘reason’ if you lose. Did your best, but lost anyways.

No excuses means come prepared, know when practice is, work hard, sit out if you are hurt (don’t complain I was hurt, just sit out), I didn’t understand the instructions, I forgot to stay in shape, ;I forgot eat right, break curfew.

A reason might be my father died, I am upset. I am playing hurt, so I am going to contribute and give my all, but it is not my normal all.

Reasonalble reasons…….versus excuses.

Fatique can be a reasonable reason, especially if the coach takes the players backs because he sees first hands the bruises, sacrafice, energy expelled and maybe a little bad luck with a key player or two missing.

No excuses is being abused. A sane and resonable person would say 2 out 8 points while playing top talent with travel and fatigue factoring in is a reasonable out come. They were hoping for 4 out of 8 and missed by 2 points. They would have had 79 points instead of 77, not a big deal for me anyways.

wjc

• Phil C says:

Every coach has his strengths and weaknesses. I think Therrien understands defensive hockey very well, however he seems to have a blind spot for offensive hockey. I really hope Gallant or someone else in the organization gets to help him figure out how to get a second line that can score. As you said, this will be a defining moment because they are going nowhere if they can’t figure it out.

• Timo says:

“Lets give that line 5 full games to play together, and I can almost guarantee you that there will be signs of life in Eller’s game.”

Have you JUST met Michael Therrien?

13. mdp2011 says:

Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL 29s
    Josh Gorges underwent surgery this morning to repair a fracture in his left hand. His recovery is estimated to be four weeks.

14. JarryPark says:

Strombo The 41-year-old Montreal Canadiens fan is a six-time Gemini Award and Canadian Screen Award winner who has worked as a television personality and radio broadcaster with CBC since 2005.

A Habs fan? Should be interesting….lol

15. mrhabby says:

So Ron Mclean will have a diminished role next year for HNIC and Cherry still has 2 years. Strombo to take over sooner than later and create a fresher face for Rogers. I will not miss the style of hockey talk between cherry/ron.

• ffenliv says:

Maclean and Cherry will still be doing Coach’s Corner. Strombo is taking over the other hosting duties on the HNIC Saturday night broadcasts.

• SmartDog says:

That’s a snub for Friedman.
        But I like Strombo – and he’s a die-hard Hab fan. AND he’s not a hack. All good!!

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• wjc says:

His ‘toady’ act has worn thin.

Cherry has stopped making much sense to me anyways. Used to like to watch his antics, he has become a clown in the stupid jackets.

Lately, I am wondering what he is talking about, and sometimes what I am supposed to be watching on his video things.

There days should be over, it has been going on too long. I would like to see a Milbury type, Roenick type, or even a Burke type, to say things that are not necessarily politically correct.

wjc

16. boing007 says:

MT wasted most of the season juggling lines. All of that should have been figured out during the preseason.

Richard R

• wjc says:

If things do not work, you have to try different approaches.

Breaking up the egg line was meant to distribute the scoring more. D.D. getting off to a slow start complicated things.

No win situation, if he leaves things alone he lacks imagination, if he juggles (like your hero Scotty used to) he is a confused idiot.

No win….lose/lose, you have to realize these things are discussed all the time with the hockey trust and they might say, “what if we try such and such with so and so.” He might try it, but and have terrible results. Does then keep trying it, if the players themselves say, “coach this just not work for me”…..remember players have imput.

Patriocetty says D.D. is my man, we have chemistry and then goes out and proves himself correct. He has imput. Certain players do not work well together, maybe putting Vanek on with a couple of veterans (Plecs and Gionta) was a way of easing him into the lineup.

Vanek will find a spot and be successful after some practices and experimentation. Players could come to the coach and say we just don’t click I do not compliment his game they way I would like, nothing personal…..just like regular life. You work well with some people and poorly with others, nothing personal.

wjc

17. D Mex says:

Just heard that Strombo has been signed by Rogers as the new ‘ face ‘ of hockey for its broadcasts starting next season.
    Maybe he’ll bring Viggo Mortensen with him ! Both are big Habs fans – not a bad thing !

Edit : here’s a sample of how it could be ↓

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

18. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Have you all noticed Iggy’s up to 20 goals and 47 points??? Not too shabby for an old feller. Wonder how he’d have done in a Habs jersey? Probably not as well given the calibre of linemates he’d have to play with in MTL vs Boston.

• boonie says:

I wonder what Jagr would have done with Plecs. What Yzerman would have done as our GM and what Larry Robinson could have done to help our young D develop.

I wonder why this organization chooses to push away distinguished people who want to bring their special talents here and spends lavishly on mercenaries who eventually show up for piles of money when no one else really wants them.

• Maritime Ronn says:

It would have been fun for Habs fans to celebrate all of those Jagr milestones this year along with watching a true master at work.
        Imagine how he could have helped guys like Galchenyuk…

Last summer, I really wanted Jagr and MacArthur
        Jagr was a 1 year deal-Briere was 2 for the same eventual Cap Hit.
        MacArthur was signed 2 years at $3.25M.
        He already proved himself in the NHL being a 2 time +20 goal guy and this year in Ottawa already has 19G/44 pts.
        Maybe a 6′-195 left winger that plays bigger than his size wasn’t needed by the Habs…

• Maritime Ronn says:

He’s probably having a blast playing with Krejci and Lucic and also getting 1st Unit PP time….and Krejci is probably one of the most underrated Cs in the NHL, and does he ever show up in the playoffs

19. saskhabsfan says:

As long as it isn’t Dubnyk, we will be allright! Lol. Not sure I could watch a game with him in net!

20. habsfan0 says:

When will MT announce the starting goalie for Wednesday night’s tilt?

21. SPATS says:

Huge HABS fan George Strombolopolous about to be announced as new host of HNIC on Rogers. Cherry and McLean to have “diminished” roles.

Happy days…

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH

• doug19 says:

Hooray ” diminished roles!”. I hope Cherry’s million bucks pay is hugely diminished.

• mount royal says:

Not good enough. They need to choose someone with no Toronto connections. Someone who actually lives outside of the Toronto area. This is our national network and I am fed up with it beinf a cheerleader for the Leafs. I

• Forum Dog says:

What a joke. Strombo know as much about hockey as Cherry does about indie music. Hate on Cherry and MacLean all you want, but the quality of the hockey talk is going to suffer tremendously if those two are replaced by Strombo and someone like Kypreos.

• habs-fan-84 says:

He’s the host.

• Forum Dog says:

Yeah, who would be responsible for setting the agenda and leading everyone through a discussion of the game. I fear we will end up with a “Hockey Night” that brings in the incredibly uninteresting musings of Michael Buble and Drake. But then, I’m someone who likes to hear about the Xs and Os of the game.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I think the producers would be the ones responsible for setting the agenda. Certainly, on-air he would lead the discussion, but imo the host doesn’t need to be a “hockey guy”, he just needs to ask the right questions. From all accounts George is pretty good at that.

• Mattyleg says:

I’d take a hit on the hockey talk to diminish the ignorance level.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Dust says:

He used to work for 590 a sports radio station in toronto. To say he knows nothing about hockey or sports is very short sighted and uniformed on your part

• Forum Dog says:

There are lots of personalities on sports talk radio who should not lead the nation’s hockey show. Tony Marinaro is case in point.

If they find the right mix, Strombo could do well. But I get a bit irked when people constantly diminish the contributions that people like Bob Cole and Ron MacLean have made to Hockey Night in Canada. I have fond memories of Cole calling Habs Stanley Cup victories, and while his age is catching up to him, his voice is second to none. And MacLean does not get the respect he deserves. Cherry is another matter, but regardless of his level of ignorance on social and political issues, his understanding of the game is excellent.

• habs-fan-84 says:

If you like an awkward interviewer, Maclean’s your man. However, you won’t get any disagreement from me with regards to Bob Cole.

22. saskhabsfan says:

The habs seem a lot like the 93 team! A couple of scores and a lot of depth playoff guys! Add a hot goalie and plus the east being wide open, we just need to get hot now! The west will beat the crap out of each other for 3 rounds! In a perfect world! Lol

23. Commandant says:

Tough weekend for Hamilton.

I talked to Sylvain Lefebvre and Christian Thomas after it was over. Pretty long interviews with both.

• Forum Dog says:

Good read. Thanks for posting it. Great to have someone keeping us all up-to-date on the Hamilton scene.

I don’t follow them all that closely, but the last few years have seen a lack of offensive skill in Hamilton. Hell, there is a lack of offensive skill in Montreal at times, especially from the youth.

Once they get guys like Vail, Hudon, Thrower, Gregoire, McCarron, De la Rose, etc., that should help. Right now they are a rag-tag group of castaways, career AHLers and former college players. Aside from Adrighetto, not too many homegrown skill players in there.

• Cal says:

Good interviews. Tiny nitpick- last para- fix inicated.

• Phil C says:

Scratching the Capt and leading scorer? Something seems off in Hamilton that goes beyond a lack of talent.

Any opinion on why Pateryn has not been given a look? He seems to have done everything the asked of him and he fits the profile of the type of player the Habs need.

Maybe the Habs have to stop hiring defensmemen and pluggers for their coaching and development staff and bring someone in with offensive talent. It seems like a blind spot for the organization.

• Forum Dog says:

I think it’s one of those things were offensive ability is hard to teach. Guys either have a flair for it, or they don’t. Coaching is more about structure and consistency of approach, which is what got most coaches through their careers. Of the current NHL bench bosses, I’m not sure I can think of one who was a top scorer at the NHL level. There are a few who were good enough scorers (i.e. Boudreau), but most are journeymen, checkers or d-men.

• Commandant says:

The way they had their powerplay set up for part of the game yesterday, an umbrella with Beaulieu on the left boards, and Thomas on the right boards, was really inexplicable.

Neither guy is positioned for the one timer there. A simple switch of those two would give more options for Andrighetto or Pateryn (who manned the top of the umbrella).

That and St. pierre has been the top scorer but never has he played on the top line or with the best wingers this year. Macenaur who is more a checking role guy, is always with the best wingers. It can’t even be said to be a chemistry thing cause when Thomas was hurt, or Andrighetto hurt, Macenaeur would still get the best available winger.

• habs_54321 says:

commandant do you feel the coaching in Hamilton has been adequate? I feel like the lack of prospect progress in forwards and defence has been at least partly too blame on the coaches for not getting the most from their players, leblanc’s growth has completely stopped beaulieu should be lighting it up down there but isn’t etc

24. Mike D says:

Reading down the thread, two things stand out to me:

1) His last name is spelled Gorges. Not Jorges. Not Georges. It’s Gorges. Pretty easy stuff, especially if you watch the occasional game. The guy’s been on the team since 2007 for cryin’ out loud.

2) Why do so many people assume Eller can fill Pleks’ shoes? This is an opinion so I realize everyone is entitled to their own and mine isn’t necessarily right just because I disagree, but Eller (at the moment) is a substantial downgrade. Both players haven’t scored much recently, but Eller is a giveaway machine who takes a lot of bad penalties (and often in the O-zone), who also looks lost out there most of the time (not completely his fault, but at least somewhat). Yes, he’s bigger, plays more physical, and is better in the shootouts, but he’s no Pleky. While I HOPE Eller goes on to be an even better Hab than Pleks is, I think he would be very lucky to ever become that good. He’ll be 25 this May and was drafted in 2007, yet has taken a huge step back from last year – time is running out on the ‘youth’ excuse. Meanwhile, Pleks shuts down the other teams best players at reg. strength and on the PK and STILL puts more points up than Eller. Remember him against Sid in that game against the Pens? Don’t get me wrong, I really like Larry and I hope he puts it together cuz there is skill there, but I wouldn’t advise holding your breath on it.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• krob1000 says:

Pleky wasn’t Pleky at Eller’s age either.

• Mike D says:

Correct, but when Pleky was Eller’s age he put up a 69 point season while not being a defensive liability.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

• krob1000 says:

That would be next season…re the age….and Pleks was in no way in a defensive role at that time…he himself was responsible but he played with Kovalev and Andrei K(teams top two wingers) and was also the first pp unit guy. That team was also a team that played a run and gun style…and was the top scoring team in the NHL.

• Mike D says:

If Larry puts up 69 points next season then consider my above post rescinded. I would also argue that that both Higgins and Ryder (who played with Saku at that time) were ahead of AK46 in terms of being the teams top wingers.

I hope my post isn’t being misinterpreted. It wasn’t a dump on Larry. I just wanted to point out that those claiming he can fill Pleks’ shoes right now are very incorrect (IMO). Hopefully one day he’ll be even better and still be a Hab. Right now, he needs to start producing and cut out the bonehead plays, penalties, and giveaways. He was seeing a sports psychologist last year which seemed to do wonders for him. If he’s stopped doing that, he should start going back.

- Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• krob1000 says:

have to reply to mine to reply to you mike…
            Eller will NOT get 69 points…taht team was an offensive juggernaut…there is noone ont he Habs of Kovalev talent. However, I will tell you that I firmly believe if Elelr played with the teams top 2 wingers and was the first pp unit he would be a 50 point guy at minimum and still be resonsilbe.
            As for the offensive zone penlties…ironic that people have harped on Pleks for the same…and Koivu before him….at least he is prusuing…some of the forwards can;t be bothered to do that. Also if you note they are all centers…the guy who is supposed to be the responsible one on the line…if they lose that chekc and are trapped will their minemates compenstae? I think it no coincidence that the guys who frequently take the offesnive zone penalties are normally the centers who have a little more on the line if they miss that forechcek and get caugt deep.

• Mike D says:

I hear ya bud, but here’s the thing:

- Honestly yours
            Twitter: @de_benny

• Cal says:

You sure it’s not “Elar”? ;)

• habsguru says:

Eller needs a turtle neck. problem solved.

• punkster says:

A few things:

He’s not exactly a giveaway machine since there are 4 with more and a couple right up there with him for giveaways on the team. There are also some 220 players in the league with more.

He has excellent FO stats.

He is having a rough season and for that I can give him a pass considering the hell he went through when he was injured last year.

He continues to be called upon by MT for the centre assignments between the most diverse mix of wingers, likely because MT has a certain amount of trust in his skills (see FO wins above).

Patience required just as we had patience with Pleks over the years (well, some of us did )

Release the Subbang!!!

• Mike D says:

I do still have patience re: Eller, but admittedly, it’s starting to run a bit thin. Don’t get me wrong, I love the player and am certainly cheering for him to succeed. Maybe I’m frustrated by how good I think he CAN be in comparison to what I’ve seen from him for the last while. As I mentioned above, my statements weren’t to dump on Eller, just to point out that he’s not capable ATM of filling Pleks’ shoes.

As for the giveaway stats, I’d like to see them compared to TOI stats, age, and then look at draft ranking for the other players you speak of.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

25. HabsFansince49 says:

The Habs recent trip out west was a vivid reminder of how far away we are from being a serious cup contender. We may take cold comfort in the fact that no Canadian team is a cup contender, which is a sad commentary on a country that calls hockey its own. Let’s look at Team Canada’s roster: only Price and PK belong to Canadian teams. There was Luongo, but he just flew south. Imagine only 2 players in the country made the elite team. The rest of the country’s best play for the Yanks. At least, Price & PK are with the Habs, but as the western trip revealed, we are not even close. And let’s not make the brutal schedule the scapegoat. Nor should we expect Vanek to be the new messiah. There is a long road ahead. Let’s hope MB has the mettle to meet the tests.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

Canadian players are the best and get their first choice on where to play. Most don’t want to play in Canada because A) They make less because of ridiculously high Canadian Income tax (ON and PQ especially) B) They marry supermodels who want nothing to do with cold weather C) The living is easier in town’s where hockey isn’t the be all and end all of local sports D) They can make a mistake without it being front page news. E) Want to live in a city where English is the primary language (CUE THE OUTRAGE!!!!!!!).

There are a few exceptions (i.e. guys who love the limelight and/or have a good business sense/agent to capitalize on the hockey-crazy markets) but they are few and far between. PK may be one, Cammallieri was definitely one.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• HabsFansince49 says:

I think you miss my main point. Canadian teams as reflected in those in Team Canada’s roster, are not cup contenders and may not be for a long time. That’s all

26. SmartDog says:

It could be just that I think Therrien is a crappy communicator to begin with… but I think it’s stupid (AND an excuse) to say “Price is our best player”.

Why say that? What possible benefit can it be? Say: ‘Price is an important player’ or…. ‘we’re missing Price, and Prust and Bournival’ sure. But it just doesn’t seem to make sense to single out Price.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

27. Caesar says:

@Mattyleg
    My observation / feeling was that the first 3-4 games teams focused on the DD Max pac line. The Egg line did well.

As soon as they focused on the EGG line their numbers dropped. Now with the DD line going, no matter how much they are being checked, it would make sense to reunite the EGG line. To have 2 lines contributing would be great and if Bournival comes back and is reunited with Plex and Gio then we might have 3 good lines. which would push some great players down to the 4th line etc etc.

I often see DD look only for Max he almost never looks for Gally. It works so it’s not that bad but we will see what happens if Vanek stays on this line.

• Luke says:

But Mac/DD/Gallagher is successful in spite of the heavy checking while the EGG couldn’t cope.

You have to keep that line together until they stop producing. Muck about with the other 9, but at this point, I feel that trio is a keeper.

• krob1000 says:

If that is the case then why when the other teams focussed on the Egg line did the DD line not produce until after 20 games in?

28. Habs_101 says:

I know its only been two games, and I understand that Vanek is a scorer who is going to score goals, eventually.

BUT… putting him with Plekanec and Gionta seems like its just trying to FORCE the issue so much. We have had the most success when we have two scoring lines, one shutdown and one energy. Why not try to make the best combination to achieve this? Pleks is definitely our best centerman, no doubt, but trying to make him be the offensive leader because we picked up Vanek doesnt make sense. Pleks plays the toughest forward minutes on the team against the oppositions top line every night, he is +8 this season, let him be successful and focus on shutting down…

Patch – DD – Vanek
    Galch – Eller – Gally
    Prust – Plekanec – Gionta
    Moen – White – Weise

Bourque, Briere alternate into lineup for injuries of struggling players.
    GO HABS GO!