Habs happy to be home with 2-0 series lead (with video)

The Canadiens returned to Montreal after Friday night’s 4-1 win over the Lightning  in Tampa to take a 2-0 lead in their best-of-seven Eastern Conference quarterfinal series.

Coach Michel Therrien scrapped plans for a noon-hour practice in Brossard, instead opting for a team meeting at 1:30 p.m., followed by an off-ice workout and media availability.

Game 3 is Sunday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

“We’re really focused on the things we have to do today to prepare ourselves for tomorrow’s game,” Therrien told reporters in Brossard Saturday afternoon, adding he likes the Habs’ concentration and determination.

“The players also know that when we stay in our team concept, that’s when we’re at our best,” the coach added. “That’s what we see now.”

Despite being up 2-0 in the series, Therrien said he knows there’s a rough road ahead in the playoffs.

“We all understand that the more we go through the playoffs, the more difficult the games are to play,” he said. “We’re glad we’re back at home. But I like our focus. We’ve got a business mentality. So today it’s about preparing ourselves for tomorrow. And tomorrow it’s going to be our main focus. And that’s the way we like to do things here.”

Said Canadiens captain Brian Gionta about being up 2-0 in the series: “It’s huge. But, at the end of the day, we fell into that trap against Boston a few years back.

“We won two games in (the Bruins’) building and we came back and let off the gas a bit. So we need to make sure that (Sunday) night is our focus. And we’ve got to do the things that have made us successful in the first two games and make sure we stick with that.”

In 2011, the Canadiens won the first two games of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal series in Boston but then lost Games 3 and 4 on home ice and eventually lost the series in seven games.

The Lightning practised in Tampa Saturday morning before flying to Montreal. Rookie winger Ondrej Palat, who suffered an upper-body injury in Game 1 and missed Game 2, took part in practice and hopes to play in Game 3.

Lightning associate coach Rick Bowness met with the media in Tampa after practice and said Palat will be a game-time decision Sunday. Bowness added that a decision has yet to be made on who will start in goal for the Lightning Sunday, but it won’t be Ben Bishop, who is sidelined with an elbow injury. Anders Lindback was pulled in Game 2 and replaced by Kristers Gudlevskis.

“I think the first game was overhyped, but tonight I felt better than I did in Game 1,” Canadiens goaltender Carey Price told reporters in Tampa after making 27 saves in Game 2. “We didn’t play our best hockey in Game 1 but we found a way to win.”

Added Brendan Gallagher: “You don’t want to take your foot off the pedal. Going up 1-0 on the power play gave us momentum and we have to keep pushing.”

The Canadiens will have a morning skate Sunday at 10:30 a.m. in Brossard. The Lightning will skate at the same time at the Bell Centre.

(Photo by Mike Carlson/Getty Images)

Habs happy to be back home, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Habs know perils of coming home with 2-0 series lead, NHL.com

Habs an old boys club, Canadiens.com

Bourque, Price give Habs 2-0 series lead, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

‘We have to keep pushing,’ Gallagher says, by Pat Hickey

Habs are rolling, Canadiens.com

Bourque goes double dipping, NHL.com

Game 2 photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Habs’ Weaver didn’t expect to play pro, by Pat Hickey

Tampa reporter has watched sun shine on Lightning, by Gazette Sports Editor Stu Cowan

Bell Centre gets dressed up for postseason, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Habs fans have watched Carey Price grow up, Stu on Sports blog

Habs fans need to wake up the ghosts, Letters to the Sports Editor

Lightning could use Palat to challenge Canadiens, NHL.com

Lightning found diamond in deep rough with Palat, Stu on Sports blog

Lightning may not be ready for this stage, Tampa Bay Times

Loss leaves Lightning full of questions, Tampa Bay Times

Team meeting, speculation of goalie change for Lightning, Tampa Bay Times

Television lapse leaves Lightning fans livid, Tampa Bay Times

And the NHL award winners should be …, by Pat Hickey

Leafs’ Kadri joins Hockey Night in Canada for playoffs, Stu on Sports blog

1. Captain aHab says:

When Latvia played Canada they collapsed constantly around their goalie…..don’t think that is TB’s game so if he’s in the latvian goalie will be left to himself a whole lot more. I guess we’ll find out just how good he is but I’m real happy that he was scored on in the previous game.

I think the only way TB can beat the Habs, if the Habs don’t beat themselves by not showing up, is with their forwards backchecking deep to give their slow D several options for passes.

But regardless, the Habs have to keep forechecking aggressively.

Just curious, do you folks think the Habs should match Pleks against Stamkos or just go with power on power?

If our 3rd and 4th lines play well, I don’t think TB has an answer for them.

All the guys need to chirp at Hedman and Stamkos and try to get them out of their games. Stamkos has lost his patience a couple of times already.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

I appreciate the comments of MB in his last ALN as well as the cautionary thoughts of Jane (JF). However, the facts of the matter now heavily favour Montréal to take this series in five or six games.

Three of the next five games are on home ice for the Habs. They are well rested and injury free (Galchenyuk’s loss in not a factor right now).

Carey Price just needs to win two out of five. Conversely, Lindback would need to win four out of five. That uphill battle becomes all the more difficult when you examine his record since arriving in Tampa from Nashville.

Some of Montreal’s slumping or injured players are now back making decent contributions. Eller, Bourque, Briere, Prust, Emelin and Gorges head the list. For the first time this year Montreal has a full roster that is firing on all cylinders. Tampa may have to play the rest of the series series without Palat, St Louis and Bishop. Those are major leaks in the dam. The lack of playoff experience by their rookies may also be an ongoing concern.

I’m not counting my chicks before they hatch, but Montreal is poised to move on to round 2 by this time next week.

24.2 Cups

Assume we see the exact same lineup tonight?

4. RockinRey says:

Fearless prediction . Habs win 6-2

——————————————————————————————————
    ‘This organization going forward must set its sights on competing for the game’s ultimate prize every season — and no lesser standard should be accepted.’
    —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

5. jimmy shaker says:

Someone tune LUCHEESE today……Kronwall or Abdelkader! Just so I can here that puke Edwards cry like the wet noodle he is!

Shaker out!

6. AliHaba says:

I have respect for Jon Cooper as a coach but his decision to change goalies after the third Habs’ goal in Game#2 is a head-scratcher to say the least. He had to know that at that point there would be no comeback but still he puts his so-called “Ace in the Hole” in to get scored on immediately. Now he is burdened with two goalies with no confidence.

• Strummer says:

If you saw his presser after the game he explained why he changed goalies.
      He said you change goalies for a number of reasons but in this case it was to try and change momentum.
      It wasn’t a knock on Lindback and I’m sure Lindback was aware of that.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• JF says:

I think it was more a question of giving Lindback a break. I would be surprised if he doesn’t come back with him today. After all, despite his brilliance for Latvia, Gudlevskis has played all of one NHL game.

7. jimmy shaker says:

Have a good one today boys…….off to church to celebrate this great day! Thanking Jesus for all he has done for all of us here on this beautiful planet. Then great meals to be eaten and celebrated with family and friends and the habs game number 3 to cap it all off. Can’t get any better than that now. I can’t wait to here and see (wish i could be there) the atmosphere as Michel Lacroix announces “Nos Canadiens”! It’s going to be spine tingling! Keep the bevies going (responsibly), the saves coming (Pricer) and the goals coming (by committee). C u all after the game!

Shaker out!

8. Fansincebirth says:

So, riddle me this…..

We’ve seen two games where the Habs dominated both games. One game we were fortunate to win and the second game we dominated completely save for maybe 10 minutes. Tampa has to find a way to step up their game but how do they do that? Do they triple shift Stamkos? Tell their D to stop looking like pylons? Tell their goalie to play better? What can TB do to try to even the series? Like I said yesterday, I think the only way we lose this series is if we bring our B or C game to the rink because I don’t think TB can up their game.

9. habkin says:

Today, I turned 45. Obviously, a great gift would be for the Habs to go up 3-0:) Happy Easter Hab fans and enjoy the game.

Thanks Shane for my morning laugh!! :-D

11. Haberoooo13 says:

@ Adidess RIP Sens Mile…LONG LIVE HABS 100 MILES

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

12. Hobie says:

My family isn’t overly religious. We basically hang out on a long weekend and are happy we don’t have to work. We all believe in something greater and try to be respectful to our fellow man/woman, except in a hockey fight ;-).

I dropped some chocolates off to my niece and nephew, girlfriend and I had dinner with the parents yesterday and that’s about it. We have another five months of peace and quite until our first child is born.

So today, I’m cracking the beers at 12PM, drinking and yelling at the TV like a wild man. Looking forward to the Bruins and Wings at 3PM, will watch the Flyers and Rangers at noon, a bit of the Jays on the side at 1PM, before going buck wild for the Habs game at 7PM.

Have a great Easter HIO!!!! God Bless!

13. Dunboyne Mike says:

Can anyone help me?

I have an evil purpose but need some basic, utterly idiot-proof, luddite-proof Photoshop-style software (that I don’t wish to pay for!). It must be suitable for someone who can’t always remember how to switch on his computer….

14. Psycho29 says:

Good Morning All! Happy Easter Sunday. Or is it Hockey Day?

If you want a tune up before the Habs game, ESPN Classic Canada at 4PM is showing Game 7 of the 2013 Leafs/Bruins series.

Or as I like to call it, the feel good story of 2013…

GO HABS GO!!!!

15. JF says:

The big strong Western teams are absolutely killing each other. Whichever of St. Louis and Chicago emerges from that series will be battered and bruised and exhausted. L.A. and San Jose are hitting each other non-stop. It seems as though the winners of the other two series, probably Anaheim and Colorado, will be in better shape to start the second round. Ultimately, I would think this will benefit Anaheim. Colorado look great at the moment, but will their inexperience catch up to them at some point? Is Anaheim the team most likely to come out of the West just because they have an easier path? In the extremely unlikely event of the Habs getting to the Final, I like our chances against Anaheim better than against any of St. Louis, San Jose or L.A.

16. Adidess says:

Easter Sunday/Game Day plans. Begin with enjoyment of bright sunlight through my bedroom window, and preps in observance of family tradition of Church on Easter Sunday. Then happy brunch with the girls in my life (wife and young twins), followed by an exciting drive down 417 East (with good buddy), in proud Habs gear. Destination: Bell Center – Montreal !

Yes I am spending my hard-earned money to be at the big party tonight, but I feel so lucky to have such a day ! ;)

17. HankHardball says:

1976-77 Montreal Canadiens: Best pro sports team ever?

- They lost only 8 regular season and 2 playoff games.
    - They had 132 points in an 80 game schedule.
    - They scored 387 goals and gave up 171.
    - They won their Division, Conference, and swept the Stanley Cup Final against the Bruins.

• RockinRey says:

Best team Hands down. And they pretty much hated the coach.

——————————————————————————————————
      —Geoff Molson, Canadiens owner and president

18. Mr_MacDougall says:

Gotta give MT tons of credit…

In game 1 the D pitched at the blue line near every time and dominated the game, TB had no answer.. Game 2 the Habs were far less aggressive at the blue line and dominated the transition game…

TB has been outcoached and outplayed!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Good observation.
      Is it possible that MT was keeping his powder dry, saving those wrinkles for the playoffs? Might be hard for us of the commentariat to digest such a reality if it’s so! But mega-like! What wrinkles tonight?

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I hope a hybrid of games one and two.. Boullion and Weaver backing off, while Markov has the green light every time to pinch.. He’s probably the slickest D at holding the line.. I’m ready to yell at I’m and somehow he keeps the puck in!

Hopefully at home DD Patch and Vanek are able to get more shifts with the top 2 D pairs..they played over half their shifts with Weaver/Cube in TB (of course they were trying to match Markov or Gorges against Stamkos)

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Maritime Ronn says:

Markov has some of the best vision and play anticipation of any Dman in the NHL. One of the smartest guys out there.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

It’s crazy.. He’s flat footed, a guy tries to break out while accelerating and he just pokes the puck off him, not only keeps it in, but passes it back in deep as opposed to dumping it in.. If I tried that I’d end up on my backside and get cut from the laid back pickup game!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

How imperative was it that we won game 1 with Price having his struggles? We could look back at that as key to much. The team pulling his fat outta the fire to me was huge, and was a positive. Many were focuesd on how Price played, I looked at it as a good thing and that he would in turn reward the team the rest of the way.

• CJ says:

I agree completely. I saw it the same way. Bodes well going forward.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

If thy lose that game I doubt Price is able to bounce back so seamlessly.. If it wasn’t for Bourque getting the late goal Price is easily 1st star based on the first 15 minutes alone. Great point.

Add to that, how demoralizing is it for the Bolts blowing that opportunity? Getting a world class tender on an off night and get dominated..

It was huge getting a goal on that Latvian goalie late.. They know they can solve him, just more confidence.. I wish Prust could have banged the one in that hopped on him.. Would have been nice to get 2 on him.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Maritime Ronn says:

He REALLY needed that Playoff OT win to get that monkey off his back
        He had only won 1 playoff OT game is his career and had lost 4 since then….especially the 3 of the last 4 games in that 2011 Game 7 loss to the Bruins.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Hello gents and Jane.
        Agree totally that the win was essential from Price’s perspective, quite apart from the team’s.
        But I’m throwing it out there, my friends: I actually don’t accept that he had a poor game, just one soft goal.
        What say ye?!

• Maritime Ronn says:

Ireland

Habs fans were totally spoiled with the play of Price this year.
          Hardly ever a softie, and he makes those saves that would be goals for most other goalies.

Perhaps the other item in Game 1 was that he seemed to be sliding far outside his posts…somewhat reminiscent of some bad times last year.
          Maybe a few were saying, ” Oh no, not that stuff again.”

• JUST ME says:

I am happy that Therrien gets his part of the credit because he got more than his share ot the blame so far…I shall come back after the season to talk about the fact that i have never heard the expression eating crow more often than this year..

Still i just do not think that the Lightning is that good a team ,not if you compare it to the Habs. Yes they are lightning fast and have top of the line snipers but what if you could match them and add on finesse,grit and consistency? Once you cover their first line it `s not the same threath. The defense squad is not that good ,their goaltenders have all the pressure in the world to do miracles and they have to open the game to achieve results.

I can understand that this technique can beat many many teams but in a seven game serie after the opponent brings adjustments ? I find that they are not the same team without Lecavalier and St-Louis .

19. JF says:

The players are saying all the right things before tonight’s Game three. Reminding themselves about what happened three years ago and why it happened, talking about not taking their foot off the pedal, paying attention to details, doing the things that brought them success so far, etc. All very fine, but these things were also being said back then. I just hope they’ve learned and that the coaching staff will have them well prepared.

Game two wasn’t a must-win. We’d already gotten the split, which was the most I expected. We’re up 2-0 in the series, but somehow tonight feels almost like a must-win. If we win, it would take a total collapse for the Lightning to recover. If we lose, it’s a whole new series. We’ll have let them back in, and there’ll be no reason to think they can’t do what the Bruins did. So we need to take care of business tonight and deal the knockout blow.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Here’s understanding your caution, but Lindback is no Tim Thomas…. and the group of 3 Dmen of of Hedman, Carle, and Brewer couldn’t hold a candle to the then 3 years younger Chara, Seidenberg and Ference.

Yes, with a Stamkos in the lineup, anything is possible yet everyone on the Habs down to the stick boy is aware of that.
      Also, the Habs bottom 6 is far superior than Tampa.
      The Habs bottom 9 have scored 7 of the 9 Habs goals so far.

Agree Jane, but also agree with Ron. While the Habs technically blew a 2 game lead, we blew it to a very very elite team, (Can’t believe I am using elite with Bruins) this team should carry forward against Tampa. But I am nervous, but excited.

• JF says:

You and Ronn are both right, but I’m very, very nervous. It just seems so natural for a team to relax a bit after such a dominant start. But the Lightning are young and inexperienced. Apart from the absence of Ben Bishop, it could be that they’re just not quite ready yet to win in the playoffs, that this series for them is about learning how to do it and their time will come next year or the year after. Both pieces in the Tampa newspapers that were linked here were saying something like that.

But still, we need to win tonight. The sooner we can put this series to bed, the more time we’ll have to rest up and be ready for the next.

Yup! Already starting to pace here nervously about tonights game.

• Maritime Ronn says:

A nice, very very dry Martini at about 6:50 could help the nerves….but I do agree with you in getting this series over ASAP.
          You never want anything to give them a boost or put doubt in the Habs such as a Ben Bishop come back

20. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Subban it’s your time to shine.
    ☆ ☀ ☆ ☀ ☆
    Don’t let off the gas boys.

Go Habs Go
    Go Habs Go
    Go Habs Go

• Habfan10912 says:

Subban was terrific Friday night, eh? More of the same tonight!

• Chrisadiens says:

He was. I’ve been very hard on PK, but he was excellent on Friday.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Shine means keeping it simple and head manning the puck asap.
      Shine means being aware of what’s going on the the Dzone and laying the body on the opposition forwards.
      Shine is being creative on the PP – and instead of just blasting away, have a look at what’s going on as in the last game with the perfect set-up of 51.

Shine is not circling back and losing zones, nor is it trying to go end to end while the forwards are left standing still at the opposing blue line…and it’s not showboating and putting the puck between the legs when stickhandling.

21. HabsFansince49 says:

Kadri on HNIC! Should I be surprised with the Leafs media (CBC)? Next up on panel – Phaneuf and Clarkson, Hockey Nuts in Canada.

22. CJ says:

A quick Easter story……

As a little boy my mother used to teach Sunday school. She would dress my brother and I each Sunday, against our will and drag us to church. Neither of us much enjoyed it, so she was always trying to identify activities to improve the experience. It was in this spirit that she decided to try a pen pall exchange, aligning a member of the congregation with a Sunday school student. We started at Thanksgiving and decided we would do our reveal on Eastern Sunday.

So, first thing to do was choose a secret name. As a little boy, likely 7 years of age, and having read the Hockey Sweater each night before bed, naturally I wanted to be Maurice Richard. My pen pall chose the name Delia. I had no idea who Delia was, but for the next six months I couldn’t wait to tell her all about my week. I shared stories about school, hockey, whatever a little boy might find important. Each Sunday I would drop my letter and collect mine. Truth be told, I can’t remember the correspondence, but I recall wanting to go to church each Sunday in anticipation of receiving my letter.

Fast forward to Easter Sunday. My mother allowed me to wear my Montreal hockey sweater. I had the pleasure that morning of meeting my pen pall, Mrs. Vera Barkley, who was in her early 80′s. She told my grandmother that as soon as she saw my sweater, she knew who her Maurice was. To this day I remember Mrs. Barkley, my Delia.

In the following years my grandmother lost her vision, and lived in the senior residence (on her own, amazing woman), just down the hall from Mrs. Barkley. When I would visit, which was all the time, my grandmother would often say that Mrs. Barkley would ask how her Maurice was doing.

Fast forward to 1993 and the Canadiens hoisting the Cup. I was ecstatic. And, one of the first things to cross my mind was Delia and how I couldn’t wait to tell her all about the game. Now, here we are 21 years later, and I still think about her. I think about how wonderful it would be to win a Stanley Cup. Mrs. Barkley has passed, but I won’t forget her. Someday, we will win and I will cry. I’ll cry because I’m happy, and I’ll cry because I will think of my Delia and wonderful the innocence of a seven year old boy can truly be.

I hope each of have a wonderful Easter! Best wishes, Maurice (CJ)

• hansolo says:

What a heart warming story. Your mother and Mrs. Barkley were very special people.

• JohnBellyful says:

Wonderful story. Jim’s as well, about the Easter egg hunt.
      It’s authentic tales like these that make HIO special, and moves the meter that measures emotions into a far different part of the scale.

• Habfan10912 says:

That’s a tremendous story. Your Mom was a special lady and your life continues to be blessed by the things she did. CHeers CJ!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Happy Easter to you and your family, CJ.

There are so many cool things in your wonderful story, so I’m just going to pick one. ANY activity that hooks up children or young people with elderly people/seniors/third agers (sorry, don’t know what’s pc any more!) is of immense value to all the individuals concerned and also to the society in general. Religious communities, naturally, are especially full of (sadly often unfulfilled) potential for that to happen. I teach countless teenagers who simply don’t know any elderly people, nor are they interested in becoming acquainted with any. They can have no way of knowing what they’re missing, nor any awareness of how much happiness it can bring to an older person to connect with someone with their life still in front of them.

Great call by your mother. An eminently stealable idea, too!

(An Easter story we would have missed had the sabbatical been the originally proposed length!)

• CJ says:

Good morning and thank you Mike. Let’s just say I had a great friend whisper in my ear.

I’m very fortunate. Family is family, and values are values, but when you grow up in a small farming village of 400 residents, a sense of community resides with you. Maybe that’s a biased opinion, but it’s forged on first hand experience.

Best wishes, CJ

• Adidess says:

Very cool story, CJ. Enjoy the game!

• Mondou6 says:

Great story, CJ. Happy Easter!

23. toinz says:

A couple of things…

I think Backes had it coming after the way he mugged McKinnon toward the end of the year. What goes around…

I’ve seen snow removed here in the Plateau faster than Calvert was cleared in front of the Pens net. He had all night to keep shooting.

24. Dunboyne Mike says:

A very Happy Easter to all on HIO, Christians and non alike.

25. Habfan10912 says:

Off topic but an Easter story.

Morning group and Happy Easter! Yesterday I spent the day at my daughters and Son In Law’s home. They had a Easter Egg hunt for their friends and their children. There must have been 50 kids there along with the Easter Bunny. Several of the kids were autistic and it was just great to see how happy they all were and how well they all got together. Several parents mentioned to me about how amazed they were at their kids who are usually quiet and shy, but on this day they were joking, talking and playing alongside total strangers. All so wonderfully behaved. The spirit of the day certainly brought out the best in all of them.

The egg hunt was broken up into two separate hunts. One for the little kids was held on the side yard with eggs filled with chocolate. Another hunt was held in the back with money hidden in eggs. There was a Grand Prize egg of $20 in one of the eggs.
    After the hunt(s) were over, a young autistic boy, maybe 8 or 9 years old was riding Mason’s tractor repeating over and over that he was angry. I asked him what he was angry about and he said he really really wanted to win the BIG egg and he was very very upset that another “kid” had won it. He lowered his head in a pout as he said this. As he started to pull away on the tractor I yelled for him to stop as I saw something under the tractor. I then pulled a $1 bill out of my pocket and gave it to him thinking that he’d be happy and not “angry” anymore.

He grabbed the money and put it in his pocket and said, “I’m keeping that.” I said, OK now your not angry anymore, right?
    He looked at me as seriously as can be and said “Yeah I am still angry the other kid had 2 dollars.” I pulled another dollar out of my pocket and handed it to the boy and ran away knowing that he was going to keep raising the bid higher and higher until I was broke. He might have been upset and angry but the cure little bugger was smart as all get out. His Mother and I had a great laugh over this story.

CHeers all!

26. hansolo says:

Happy Easter everyone.

That line of MacKinnon, O’Reilly and Landeskog is sick. By H/O standards MacKinnon is a smurf. But Colorado has some bigger players to surround him with. Stastny, Duchene, Landeskog, O’Reilly all tip the scales at 200 or over.

That’s what MB is trying to do – get bigger skilled players through the draft (they don’t up often through FA – Vanek is such a player and will be highly sought after). I know, I now, we drafted Reway and Andrighetto but it isn’t easy when you don’t have the option to tank (as Colorado did for a few years) to get those bigger skilled players. If McCarron and Crisp get even a sniff of the NHL, the picks will have been worth it.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Colorado was the Western Finalist this year. San Jose remains my pick. Chicago seems to be undisciplined right now – starting with the coach, and that’s never a good sign.

• CJ says:

Paul Statsny is playing himself into a huge payday. Combination of a great postseason, a thin UFA class and a decent sized centre should drive his value over $7 million annually.

• Marc10 says:

Colorado is my dark horse to go all the way. San Jose is probably the best team, but they (like St Louis) never win.

Chicago just threw away the series yesterday. They not only went 2 down in their series, they gave St Louis all the motivation it needs to take it up a notch and bury them. They are playing like utter cretins led by Keith who (and I can’t believe I’m agreeing with Don Cherry) is acting like a clown. Pretty surprising behaviour from the reigning champs…

27. Hobie says:

I love both Brent Seabrook and David Backes. They both have the perfect balance of skill, leadership and toughness in their games. I’d be doing back flips if the Habs ever landed one of them.

I feel terrible for Backes, I really do. What is Seabrook supposed to do there though? Both team are absolutely running at each other and practically trying to kill each other leading up to that hit. In the heat of battle like that nobody is thinking about head shots.

The players are basically rolling the dice and crossing their fingers that they destroy the opposing player but manage to avoid contacting the head. It’s pretty much luck of the draw.

Picture yourself as Seabrook in that situation. You’ve had multiple concussions from players running over you, the current game is absolutely crazy and you have Backes right in your cross hairs.

Seabrook’s adrenaline is going a million miles per hour and he knows he can greatly increase his chances of winning the series by demolishing an unsuspecting Backes with a huge hit. He knows Backes would do the same thing to him without thinking twice about it.

There in NO WAY the NHL can do anything about these types of hits. Look at the series between STL/CHI, LA/SJ and even ANH/DAL. These guys are absolutely trying to kill each other.

The only thing that can be done is to change the damn shoulder pads. Maybe that helps things a little. You would have to COMPLETELY remove hitting to make any sort of impact in this matter. There is no way to fix this issue with suspensions, none.

So either accept the fact the the players are willing to take the risk of suffering a few concussions to make millions of dollars, I would too, or I’m sorry to say, keep quiet. Seabrook is going to get a suspension that won’t change a thing. Backes will tell him that it was a nice hit down the road when Seabrook apologizes at a golf tournament.

• JohnBellyful says:

People in real life who commit real crimes in the heat of the moment still do get punished for their deeds.

• CJ says:

IMO, what will help improve (I won’t say flat out change) are the moves that David Branch and the OHL board has made. You need to change the culture, and that starts well before a player hits the NHL. Further you need to eliminate the mass culture led by Cherry, Millbury and other talking heads, who preach hits that eliminate the player as opposed to the real intent, which is to separate him from the puck.

The problem, IMO, is the game has grown, but has struggled to keep pace with today’s athlete. You simply can not have such finely conditioned athletes, adorned in the equivalent of armour running at each other. It’s great to watch, but it will destroy careers and potentially life beyond hockey. Again, I love solid checks, but there is more than a handful of collisions in the blues hawks series that have been assaults more than body checks.

Just my two cents…. CJ

• Hobie says:

I agree CJ. We either have to suck it up and completely remove hitting from the game, leaving only a bit of bumping along the boards or quit complaining about it.

You can not have guys who are 6’3″ and 230 lbs running at each other with rock hard shoulder and elbow pads. There is absolutely no way to control it just the right way.

So either leave hitting in and put up with lots of injures or take it out. There are really only two options.

To point the finger at Cherry and Milbury ( I Hate Milbury) is a bit silly. The coaches of all the teams are the ones to blame, if you feel the need to blame someone. I can guarantee Emelin for example, is instructed to hit to hurt by the Canadiens coaching staff and that the players would be quietly celebrating if Stamkos was knocked out cold.

They’d feel bad he was hurt, say the right things in front of the camera but would go give Emelin a pat on the back behind closed doors.

• hansolo says:

I think we can agree Emelin doesn’t target the head. If he does target the head, he should be penalized. His hip checks are a thing of beauty. It’s too bad that so many of the thunderous hits he and others deliver, to quote Mike Boone, have become a “casus belli” in the NHL. Since when should legal checks have to be backed up by a willingness to fight?

• JohnBellyful says:

I despair about the game, then, if those are the only two options available. It says something about the lack of commitment to make the game safer, the players’ ethics and inability to change, the culture that turns a blind eye to coaches instructing players to hurt opponents to the point of knocking them out, the dearth of creativity in not being able to reach a middle ground in addressing what appears to my jaded eyes to be a serious issue, and, lastly, a shameless willingness to not hold commentators such as Cherry and Milbury to account for what they say and the influence they exercise.
          But that’s me being silly again. Staying in character.

• hansolo says:

I agree with what UCE posted a week or two ago. Penalize all hits where head is the PRIMARY point of contact, intentional or not. Penalize all checks from behind – which often result in someone’s face being plastered up against the boards. Force a player to use his skill to get around someone protecting the puck on the boards. This won’t prevent a player from needing to keep his head up while carrying the play, as a check to the chest or shoulder might result in a fall that could involve the head. I’m not advocating abolishing hitting altogether.

Players can’t absolve themselves of the responsibility not to deliberately injure an opponent. The purpose of a check should be to separate the opponent from the puck , not his head from his body. The way the system is set up now, it’s the skilled players who suffer the most when a marginally talented plugger sees an opportunity to make his coach happy (as Gryba did with Eller last year).

I would rather see Eller and Crosby play instead of Gryba and Steckel.

Echoing others thoughts, Happy Easter to All! Looks to be a beautiful sunny and warm Sunday in Southern Ont., hope it is a nice day for all of you wherever you folks may be.

Really hopeful Habs keep momentum and play a strong game tonight.

29. Lafleurguy says:

scuba’s post triggers some fun comtemplation. Fastest elite player ever?
    Bure, Cournoyer, Orr, Coffey, insert-a-name. How about Valeri Kharlamov, or Helmut Balderis?

• savethepuck says:

As John Ferguson said in the movie about the Summit Series “Kharla something my a$$”

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

30. Habsman93 says:

Happy Easter Everyone on my way to Montreal to watch tonight’s game, my first time attending a playoff game in Montreal, I am so pumped GO HABS GO !!!!!!

31. Habfan10912 says:

So let me get this straight.

1st spear to the nuts = No discipline
    2nd spear to the nuts = $5,000 fine
    Anybody want to guess what the 3rd spear gets? It’s coming because this guy is a sick son of a gun. The police record will soon confirm it. That’s where this nut job is headed.

• Lafleurguy says:

Nut job likes to nut jab.

• JohnBellyful says:

Mornin’, Jim.
      Found all the eggs yet?
      Two more questions for the commentariat:

1.) How much longer will the league let Chara, Marchand and Lucic get away with their antics ($5,000 really is chump change in Lucic’s case)? They’re Bruining the game.
      2.) If a Red Wing grabs his crotch for protection when he sees Lucic approach with his stick at waist level, will he be fined $25,000? (Purely hypothetical, he won’t see Lucic approaching.)

32. Habfan10912 says:

For those of us who believe may all of our transgressions be forgiven and we all are able to enjoy what really are amazing gifts given to us.

For those that don’t believe, I hope your day is filled with happiness and joy.

CHeers all!

33. Habfan10912 says:

How would NY’ers feel if the Yankees went 47 years without a Stanley Cup? Poor Maple Leafs.

• CJ says:

Good morning Jim. I don’t totally disagree with Brooks. IMO, there is nothing more frustrating than subsidizing teams in non traditional markets, watching as they advertise $6 tickets and annually collect top five talent. The only thing more frustrating is having to subsidize teams who reside in what ought to be a hockey market – Ottawa. It makes my blood boil. The league has already bailed the Senators out once (2003), following their bankruptcy.

Anyway, enough about that. Happy Easter! CJ

34. BJ says:

Happy Easter from this side of the pond. And a successful game three win.

35. savethepuck says:

As a proud Maritimer born in Halifax, I couldn’t be more proud of the night that 18 year old Nathan Mackinnon had. May be way too soon to tout him as the next Crosby, but he was touted as that when he was 14 or 15 ( I remember the TSN report on him then ). Did not expect him to be able to do this coming out of junior considering his birth date was so close to being next years draft. I am still staying on the sidelines very much enjoying how well our Habs are playing. Keep it up les boys, you are making us proud.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

36. naweed235 says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this McKinnon is going to be a special one. I mean special like Crosby was still in his diapers since we saw one as special as this kid.

• johnnylarue says:

Who’s a good pre-Crosby-Era comparison for MacKinnon’s ceiling? An Yzerman? A Sakic? I’m not sure I see a Lemieux of Gretzky there yet…

Edit: Just watched tonight’s highlights–I see where you’re coming from. Kid is kind of ridiculous…

• scuba says:

Only player I have ever seem with same quickness speed and skill would be Pavel Bure.

Maybe not the same goal scorer but MacKinnon is great defensively and was the best big game player I have ever watched in junior.

——————————————————————————————————–
        I can’t tell if the Habs are great or terrible because sometimes they win and sometimes they lose.

37. The Jackal says:

@UCE
    Saw your reply, thanks for the recommendations man!
    I’ll probably scamper off to one of the bars around game time or maybe later if the skiing is good.
    The ritualistic and superstitious side of me kind of wants to not watch because it will be different than the last two times I watched, and I didn’t watch the third of game 2. Ah what the hell, I’ll watch the game, just don’t blame me if we don’t win.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

38. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Just wanted to wish a Happy Easter to fellow HIO members. Tomorrow should be a great day.

39. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Sven Andrighetto won the Hamilton Bulldogs’ Top Rookie Award, voted by Their local media …He finished the season tied for 15th in AHL rookie scoring …and, second in Bulldogs’ Team scoring

…meaning that 14 AHL ‘rookies’ on other teams, collectively, were better and more productive than all the Bulldogs’ team, excepting 2 Players (Andrighetto, and I assume Martin St. Pierre)

…Our AHL prospect feeder was quite a contrast from Our NHL Team

…the Bulldogs’ performance was very depressing this season

…hope the new blood coming next season will fare much better

…in My opinion, We need a better coach in Hamilton to relate with these kids

• Commandant says:

I agree we need a new coach, but a few things to remember.

1) How many of the 14 ahead of Sven played more games than him?
      He missed a long time with injury earlier in the season.
      He also played on one of the lower scoring teams in the league.

Take nothing away from Andrighetto who was great this year.

2) the vast majority of the prospects picked under the Bergevin regime are still CHL players now. The 2012 picks will make Hamilton next year.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I was referring to the over-all talent, or lack of same, of the Bulldogs Ben, not underestimating Andrighetto, though the one game I saw Him play He was not very impressive …but then, neither was the Team as a group losing 6-0 to the Heat

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I thought with Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn in Hamilton last year, at least one of them would have become a regular by the end of this season. Beaulieu or Tinordi should have beaten Boullion for a spot in the line-up. Whatever happens this year, their development has to be a disappointment.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…that night in Abbotsford, Tinordi’s and Pateryn’s talent and presence on the ice stood-out like sore thumbs

…Ellis was injured, …Beaulieu in Montreal …I wanted to see both, but disappointed

…the one thing, especially, I took away from that game was how can We call Greg Pateryn a ‘defensive defenseman’ ? …He and Tinordi were all-over the ice and were hi-level mobile and continuous offensive threats

…for Myself, I am puzzled why Pateryn was given only one call-up this season

• Loop_Garoo says:

I dont think they have been a disappointment at all. It takes a long time for most prospects to develop, but we all expect them to make the jump really quickly. A great many players spend 3 or more years in the AHL and then become important NHL players, and both Tinordi and Beaulieu have shown that they will very likely be impact players in the NHL during only their second year of pro. Neither of those two are a disappointment at all.

• JUST ME says:

I would wait at least a year before making a judgement call on Andrighetto,Tinordi,Beaulieu or the coaches for that matter since most of the players on ice are from the past era and get the same old results as they always had…

Tinordi and Beaulieu may not be there next season to see the changes but i expect a whole new face and attitude in that club with all the new kids coming in.

They had a decent first half but could not keep up the pace with injuries and simple lack or exceptionnal talent.

That is also what Bergevin meant when he said he needed time. The Habs are doing more than great but it hides the other if not more important fact that the farm team needs to be rebuilt and replenished.

40. Un Canadien errant says:

Frontenac, what can you tell us about this Roland McKeown kid, that commandant ranks at #18 in his rankings of NHL draft prospects? He plays in Kingston, interested to hear your take.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

So at Raptors pre game pep rally Raptors GM and President tells crowd EFF Brooklyn all the while CEO is cheering him on. Not all that classy, surprised he did this, seems out of character for him.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…the Raptors is the first basketball team since the Larry Bird and Bill Russel Celtics that I enjoy watching

…that was a LONG time ago

42. Un Canadien errant says:

I had the Blue Jackets-Penguins game on PVR, but I’m more of a casual fan with that one obviously, so I didn’t think to allow for overtime. So after the third, I tell myself maybe I can watch the overtime on cbc.ca on their ‘On Demand’ service.

Now, I was as careful as I could to not see a score or news headline telling me who won, shielding my screen with my hand to block out any potential spoilers. I keep clicking until I get to the menu screen, where you can choose which game you want to watch. Here is the way they labeled the game:

Columbus 4 at Pittsburgh 3 (2OT)

Wouldn’t it make sense, for the first 24 hours maybe, to title the game as “Game 2″ or with the date or something?

There’s a serious disconnect between the administrators of that site and the goals and needs of their potential clients. Which I am no longer one, since now that I know the score, I’ll just watch the highlights on SportsCentre.

43. The Jackal says:

You can imagine what HIO would be like if Roy and the Avs won the cup this year and we didn’t.

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

…’Life is Funny’; Chapter 7, 879, 341, 086

Stu Cowan, The Gazette;

‘Proof that drafting 18-year-olds can be a crapshoot.

Further proof is that the Canadiens selected Chris Nilan in the 19th round (231st overall) at the 1978 NHL draft. Like Palat, Nilan was the fourth-to-last pick in the entire draft.

The only reason the Canadiens even picked Nilan was because Paul King, Nilan’s midget hockey coach who was a district court judge in Massachusetts, was a big Habs fan and was good friends with Dickie Moore and Doug Harvey.

After being pushed by “Judge King,” the two Canadiens Hall of Famers put in a good word with the team about Nilan, who posted 8-9-17 totals in 20 games with ZERO penalty minutes during the 1977-78 season with Northeastern University.

Nilan’s father, who was a Green Beret in the U.S. army Reserve, had joked that the only way his son would get drafted was “if there was a war and I got called up by the military.” ‘

45. sweetmad says:

Hey J B I thought that was for real,I didn’t read the name before I started,only you could have thought that one up,but I should have known better,I bet C Julien bought him a drink for that.
    It is disgusting for something like this to happen,these are young men,he could have spoiled his chance of having children,this is definately not sportsmanship,but then neither is fighting,so with that kind of mindset what can you expect.

On another point Jamie Mc Clennon (or what ever his name is )tweeted that if we didn’t like dirty hockey and fighting we should watch another channel,although there was a scuffle last night our games against the Bolts have been clean honest sport,why should the many of us who enjoy that be deprived because some thugs enjoy fighting,then they should watch boxing or the other thug “sports”,at least both parties are willing participants,so that is up to them,if that is their choice,I still don”t agree with it,but you live as you want to live.

Hope our guys stay focused and all these people reminding them about what happened to previous HABS doesn’t jinx them.
    GO HABS GO ALL THE WAY

Colorado is in a whole different league from Minny it appears. Given Blues/Hawks are using W.M.D. On each other, they could very likely be in the Western Conf. final. Can u imagine if Roy got Cup his rookie coaching season?

47. JohnBellyful says:

Given the kid glove treatment the league accorded Lucic, the question on every Red Wing player’s mind tomorrow has got to be, will he go ballistic again?

48. Butterface says:

What about Seabrook….. 1 or 2 games ?

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

49. Harditya says:

Mackinnon is a beauty

50. Habitant in Surrey says:

The Gazette: ‘The action starts Sunday at 4 p.m. with a ‘Fan Jam’ outside the Bell Centre on avenue des Canadiens-de-Montréal between de la Montagne and Stanley Sts. The area for the event is a little more restricted this year because of all the construction nearby, Gilmore said.

The fan jam will be held before every home game during the playoffs and starts three hours before game time. The activities include music, face-painting, and Canadiens’ alumni autographs.’

…would be very nice to be in Montreal on tomorrow :) (…sorry Norm)

51. jols says:

What an exciting team Colorado has. Mackinnon is magic. Perhaps the best 1st overall since Crosby. I know Stamkos and Traveres are both awesome but Mackinnon is making a case for himself. Landeskog, O’Reilly and Stastny are all incredible. Duchene isn’t even playing cause of a knee injury. Fun team to watch. I just wonder if they will be able to afford to keep all these guys.

52. Habitant in Surrey says:

…has anyOne here knowledge where Olivier Archambeault, Daniel Pribyl and Colin Sullivan are at in Our Organization ?

…are They still prospects for Us, or released ?

53. Clay says:

That was one of the prettiest goals I have ever seen. (Colorado game…)

__________________________
    ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

54. Clay says:

Way to go Columbus!

__________________________

55. AceMagnum says:

Andi Petrillo looks like John Stamos
    —————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

• AllHailTheFlower says:

The Healy thing I can let pass by, but Andi? Uh uh. Don’t be dissing on the only valuable contribution to hockey that CBC has been offering lately! ;)

56. Say Ash says:

MacKinnon ceiling higher than Crosby?

57. AceMagnum says:

Healy looks like Charlie Sheen :0

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

58. Phil C says:

The NHL has made such a mess of the game of hockey. Given how they interpret the rules, I’ll be surprised Seabrook gets anything for that hit, when clearly it does not belong in the game.

59. CHicoHab says:

Funny JBFull!!!

60. Storman says:

Nathan Mackinnon, wow what a goal tonight and early NHL career so far,, ceiling for super stardom through the roof,, he is so strong and so skilled and also does everything so extremely well at top speed.. Jonathon Drouin another Moosehead will be a star in the NHL next year.. and in this years draft I hope MB can work some magic and move up and somehow select Nikolaj Ehlers as well from the Mooseheads another kid with NHL stardom written all over him.

61. CHicoHab says:

Cherry just spoke on Lucic spear. Kids don’t do this. It’s not good. …….ya think?

62. JohnBellyful says:

Boston – Boston Bruin forward Milan Lucic, who was fined $5,000 by the National Hockey League for spearing in the series opener between the Bruins and the Detroit Red Wings, has been suspended five games by his team.
    “The Boston Bruins do not condone or encourage any deliberate attempt by one of its players to injure an opponent,” coach Claude Julien said. “What Lucic did was absolutely disgusting. If the league isn’t strong enough to send a message with a suspension, to punish and to deter, we will, especially as it’s one of our players who’s at fault. There’s no place in hockey for that kind of behaviour, and as Lucic has found out, there will be no place on our team for the next five games. ”
    The hulking forward was caught on TV skating up behind Detroit blueliner Dan Dekeyser and placing his stick between his legs before violently lifting it upward, causing the Red Wing player to drop to the ice in pain. There was no penalty called on the play.
    Julien said Bruin general manager Peter Chiarelli fully supported the coach’s decision to suspend a key player despite being down 1-0 in the series, against a club that has given Boston trouble all season.
    “Peter was as disgusted as I was with what happened, and said Lucic needed to be taught a lesson,” Julien said.
    He admitted to being “a little surprised – shocked, actually” that the league’s supplementary discipline was “a slap on the wrist. For what Lucic did, he deserved a two-handed slash.”
    Lucic told reporters he’s “never” delivered a cheap shot like that that before.
    “Usually they’re love taps,” he said, adding quickly, “I don’t want you guys to get the wrong idea.”
    Julien, who has long railed against players feigning being fouled to draw penalties, said he is “as much against castration as embellishment – maybe even more so.”
    Lucic won’t be allowed to practise with the team while he’s suspended and he’s been told not to wear any item of clothing bearing a Bruin insignia.
    “We’ve got an image to protect,” Julien said. “He’s already disgraced it enough on the ice, we can’t run the risk of him doing the same away from the arena.”
    Should there be a game seven, Lucic will be allowed back into the lineup, Julien said, but on one condition, that he not wear a jockstrap.
    “I wouldn’t want that to get out, though,” he said with a wink.
    Julien also said

I woke up at that point …

– “Milan Lucic, he has a tag: One part scum, one part bag.” –

63. govenah says:

So Quenneville grabs his own groin , gets fined 25,000$ and Lucic hits another player with his stick in the groin for the second time this year and gets fined 5,000$ Sounds out of whack to me. Or is Shanny a little distracted with the media attention in Toronto? Just dont see how someone can vacate the player saftey position at he height of the season. He should be fined or fired.

Lock and Spring -that’s the the ticket!

64. AceMagnum says:

Leaf playoff overtime highlights in black & white!

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

• govenah says:

I bet if they took all those 60′s images and colourized them leaf fans would actually go to see it in Ontario theaters.

Lock and Spring -that’s the the ticket!

65. HabFab says:

@HiS – after the farm team is eliminated there is no limit for call-ups. They may call them up or just have them (6-8) practice in Hamilton.

66. AceMagnum says:

Columbus tied it! Kadri was right ….they did have a chance to come back down by one goal!
    —————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

67. 24AW says:

No call ups, we have good players sitting in the press-box we can use.

68. twilighthours says:

So…. just watched ep 1 of True Detective.

Uh, it’s good. Quite.

69. UKRAINIANhab says:

I remember playing a soccer game in Ukraine, the guy kicked one of our players in the nuts, we ended up throwing him in the dumpster in the city park. I think someone needs to this to Lucic! …never saw the guy, hope he learned his lesson! Lucic…never seems to learn! Time for DD to fill em in!

• frontenac1 says:

Dumpster Justice is good. Cement overshoes too.

• Mr. Biter says:

Had that happen to me in MSA cup many years ago. Was walking back from the opposition net when this one jerk booted me in the ass for no reason, so I turned around and planted my cleat square in the balls. Got kicked out of the game (and tournament) so we were down to ten men but he was gone for the game and they had no subs so team played even. Met with the League disciplinarian ( stern old Englishman) the next Tuesday. He asked me who I’d kicked, I answered and he smiled at me said how many games did I miss in the cup I said one and he said that seems long enough. Seems the guy who jewels I’d damaged had a very bad reputation for stuff like that and the no one had ever done anything to him. Rumor had it no one had ever seen him smile after a night of handing out suspensions.
      True Story.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

70. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Kadri, like the CBC’s Hockey Night In Punjabi, is an outreach to Canada’s potential ‘ethnic’ markets that presently don’t give a rat’s ass for Canada’s national obssession

…an honourable objective I guess, but Kadri is not the most compelling spokesperson for that market

• Storman says:

Uhmmm i would have to uhmmm agree

• AceMagnum says:

Hockey Night in Punjabi?? How come we don’t have a Kabaddi Night in English?

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…immigration and new Canadian demographics are illogical subject matters that We are not supposed to discuss or think about

…brain-dead politicians only are allowed to half-way acknowledge and half-way understand it’s purpose and existence solely because they must pass legislations to give credibility to Us, the unwashed, that this is ‘good’ for Us

• boing007 says:

They brought in Kadri just so they could say the magic words Toronto Maple Leafs on national TV. They miss them so much. Sniff.

Richard R

• chesterfiled says:

Boo! Punjabi colour commentary is good. What’s with all the Kadri hate? He is hardly the worst punk out there nor the last, plus he wishes he was a Hab. He gets a pass from me and I couldn’t give flying merde what ‘Leafs’ nationalists think

71. CHicoHab says:

Lucic on Nesn report. He says heat of the moment the spear. Not sure why he did it but says he’s only done it 3 times in his seven year career and doesn’t plan to make it a habit. Claude Juliens comment. Says he didn’t see it.

• Mattyleg says:

“I’ve only ever killed three people in my whole life; all of them in the heat of the moment. It’s not like I’m a murderer or anything.”

—Hope Springs Eternal—